Everton Independent Research Data


February 2, 1925. The Daily Courier.
By F. McN.
Everton achieved what the majority of the critics believed to be beyond their powers. A Sunderland victory at Roker Park was anticipated everywhere, except among the Everton players and officials. Before the game there was quiet confidence in the Evertonians' camp, the players believing that they could win or at least draw. There succeeded in forcing a replay by dint of persistently good tackling, sound judgement and the ability to play the type of football required for the occasion. On the play a draw was a fair reflex, but I am sure the bulk of the spectators will agree that what really clever football there was in a rather colourless encounter came from Everton. The replay on Wednesday at Goodison Park should provide a hard and entertaining game.

As judged from the point of view of attack Harland had more to do than McIroy, but there was no question about the superiority of the Everton vanguard when they got moving. The injury to Broad came at a time when Everton were setting down to a winning game. Broad sustained a nasty injury to the upper part of his leg as he was dashing forward to meet a centre from Chedgzoy, and though he resumed he was never able to give the side full assistance. This misfortune threw the line out of gear. The grim determination of the Everton halves and backs counterbalanced the weakness in the forwards. McBain was magnificent not only as a leader, but in breaking up attacks and assisting his backs he worked manfully. Reid, too played a great part, Buchan, as a result of the Scot's close attentions, being rarely dangerous. Brown was a power, and to my mind, it was the terrier-like tactics of Everton's middle line, which saved the day. Harland made several fine saves, the Irishman timing his interventions perfectly, and showing great judgement generally. There was one misunderstanding between Harland and McDonald, however, which almost led to disaster. Buchan nipped in between them, and Raitt made a flying kick, sending the ball a foot wide of his own post when many people though he had driven into the net. It was one of the thrills of the game. McDonald and Raitt, however, played soundly, their kicking and tackling being strong.

Chedgzoy and Irvine frequently had the Sunderland men in two minds. The wingers drove in the finest shot of the day in the first half –a ball about which McInroy knew little, though he managed to get his hands on it. Then again Chedgzoy almost won the game in the last few minutes, when Broad, from outside-right, made a fine run and centre, Chedgzoy waited for the ball, and swung his foot to shoot when McInroy, by a wonderful effort threw himself at the ball and managed to deflict it from Chedgzoy. It was a thrilling save. Weaver did not have a good day, as the ball did not come to him in advantageous positions. Chadwick was not in his best shooting form, though he did well in the open. Considering the handicap, under which he laboured, Broad was decidedly useful. He may not be fit for Wednesday's game. Sunderland were well served in goal by McInroy. England and Oakley were a sound pair of backs, and Parker was the outstanding half-back, though Clunas and Andrews were little behind in point of merit. Ellis and Hawes were the best wing for Buchan is not the power he was. The tall forward seems to have lost a lot of his dash and skill. He had the chance to win the match in the last quarter of an hour when he got clean through, but shooting with his left foot he fired wide and high. I have seen Buchan score brilliant goals from much less difficult positions, but he entirely failed on this occasion. England was hurt and retired before the finish, while Ellis sustained a cut on his head. These accidents necessitated the team being re-shuffled near the end. Teams: - Sunderland: - McIroy, goal, Oakley, and England, backs, Clunas, Parker, and Andrews, half-backs, Grimshaw, Buchan, Rodgers, Hawes, and Ellis, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Broad, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards.

February 2 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves took a strong side to Stoke and were much superior, winning by 4 goals to 1. The game was played under wretched conditions, rain felling continually on a sudden ground. Williams scored three and Cock the other goal, whilst Hallam was Stoke's successfully marksman. Bain was outstanding in defence, and all the forwards combined well having regard to the conditions . Everton: - Kendall, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, McGrae, Bain, and Rooney, half-backs, Parry, Wall, Cock, Williams, and Troup, forwards.

February 2, 1925. The Daily Courier.
Both forward lines displayed good football only to find the defences masters of the situation. Houghton scored for Everton close in, and the equaliser came a few minutes later when Finlay converted a penalty kick. Everton was awarded a penalty (Hamilton0Daily Post), but this was saved by Street.

February 2 1925. The Daily Courier.
Everton have secured the transfer of John O'Donnell, Darlington left back. He is one of the most promising defenders in the country, and Everton signed their man in face of great opposition, other League clubs, including Liverpool, Cardiff City, Blackburn Rovers Leeds United, and Huddersfield being keen to obtain the player's services. O'Donnell will be 22 in March, stands ft, 8ins, and weighs 12st 4lb. He was been with Darlington nearly three seasons, first playing as an ammeter. He was originally a centre-forward, but Jack English the old Sheffield United back and present team manager off Darlington, saw possibilities in O'Donnell as a back, and he has developed on the right lines. O'Donnell made his debut against the Wolves in October of last season, and has held his place since. Darlington lead the Northern section of the Third Division. O'Donnell gave an impressive display against Cardiff City in the replayed Cup-tie at Anfield.

EVERTON 2 SUNDERLAND 1 (Fa Cup Game 114)
February 5, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
By “Bee.”
Everton won their replayed Cup-tie with Sunderland by 2 goals to 1. The teams had each scored a goal before the interval, but Chadwick gained the victory three minutes from the end. The game was very exciting and varied notably for the way Sunderland, after starting of like match-winners, fell away to nothing in the second half. Everton won through sheer perseverance. They had not been blessed with much optimism or belief in themselves, but by weathering the storm yesterday, and fighting back to win near time they fully redeemed themselves in the eyes of their followers. Everton won well, if narrowly, and the beauty of the victory lay in the way they persisted in their attacks, and though repeatedly beaten back, hampered on a tired defence till it cracked up. Yet one would not like to say that the Everton forwards were entirely satisfactory. The left wing was weak, Weaver getting little show and Chadwick having but few chances. Similarly there were times when Chedgzoy was selfish and cared more for the dribble than the prompt pass to a comrade.

The rise of Everton is undoubtedly due to the improved half-back work and the steadiness of the full backs, McBain played a wonderful game at Roker on Saturday, and yesterday the three men were very sure in their tackle and also in the way they passed up the field to make ground. None did quite so well as Brown, who played with a vim and vigour as well as with a fantastic manner that captivated the eye. So far as the fantastic touch is concerned, however, no player on the field took the eye more than Charles Buchan. Buchan is getting on in football years and he worked so hard to help the defence that it was quite in the nature order of things that he should be unable to stay through to the last. Buchan fell back in the first half to head away corner kicks, he helped the half-backs at times, and also gave a brilliant solo exhibition, and could hardly expected to continue such form to the end of the game. By his astute moves, his feinting and dribbling and his decision to leave the ball when others though he was certain to go for it, he had the match at times in his grasp. He was well watched, yet he was able, by his skill in knowing how far to go, and when to stop his “fiddling,” to offer Marshall a chance to goal. Marshall did not need pressing to accept the golden grit, and thus, in seventeen minutes, Kendall, deputising splendidly for Harland, was well beaten.

Where Sunderland were unlucky was in the fact of Irvine scoring with the last kick of the first half when Young, the veteran full back, was off the field nursing a pretty severe injury. This was bad fortune for the visiting side, and they suffered again when Buchan headed the ball against the crossbar. Having paid them that measure, however, the rest is all in favour of Everton who for twenty minutes at a time were contending with the Sunderland defence, in which were two young men who never wavered. McInroy, the goalkeeper of twenty years of age, and Oakley a mere striping who was a very fine judge of a high ball and was equally good in heading, kicking, or tackling. Against those two “stars” one had to put some slow-moving half backs and backs –Andrews and Young, both on the left flank, were slow and awkward, and therein lay Everton's chance. Irvine made their faults appear more pronounced than they were, and he was quite the most dangerous forward on the field for he was inclined to shoot and must have had six sharp shots at McInroy who fielded them with fine judgement and a sure touch. Such a strenuous opposition did Everton offer to the visitors' defence that every one of the spectators –there were 50,000 and they paid a sum of £3,200 –expected a goal lead much earlier than the eighty-seventh minute. It was not a prettily obtained goal that helped Everton towards Sheffield United's ground on February 21 st in the third round, but it counted and it came from a sharp throw-in. Chadwick being nearer the right than the left wing when he made his shot.

As a game it had two district sides. The first half was, without a doubt, Sunderland's. After that their key man Buchan, faded out and Grimshaw, Hawes, and Ellis did not rise to the occasion, whereas Cock, for one, improved in the second half, at the start of which he sent in a rousing first-time shot. Cock was second to Irvine, and the home half-backs, as a line, merit high praise. Behind then Raitt was a trifle streaky, and McDonald was in a mood for brooking no interference, while by act and persuasion he also inspired the men in front of him. Harland's absence was not felt, for young Kendall showed how good he can be with a high (and dry) ball. However Kendall could not arrest the ball when it was sent back accidentally by Raitt, and sped outside by a yard only. Everton may not have been with fault, it is true, but they certainly gave encouraging signs by the manner of their persisance in plodding on, and also in the manner of the recovery after losing ground. It was encourage them to go on with good work in their League games. Teams: - Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Brown, McBain (captain) and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards. Sunderland: - McInroy, goal, Oakley, and Young, backs, Clunas, Parker, and Andrews, half-backs, Grimshaw, Buchan, Marshall, Hawes, and Ellis, forwards.

February 6 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have made a further effort to secure the transfer of Scott the Darlington forward, who played so well against Cardiff City in the replay Cup-tie at Anfield, but without success. Our Darlington correspondent states that Everton approached Scott on Thursday, and again yesterday, but he stated he will not leave Darlington.

February 7, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo.
In the days when Everton tried to catch their players young, and gradually give them playing experience in good company, it was usual to draft the new players first into the “Combination” team. We have previously explained that while the Combination team was a reserve first team it had always contained players on the first rank who were fit at any moment to play in the club's front rank, but were merely bridging their time in the “reserves” or “Combination” team until their chance came. Thus it was that a new player appearing for the first time in the “Combination” team found himself among players who were of the highest skill and probably of better class than many had met before. Nearly all the men who became famous for Everton played their first matches with the Combination. The really “great” players seldom went back once they moved up to the League team they kept their place. But there were others who played most of their playing career with Everton in that same Combination team because, just as it happened, the men in the first team whom they were understudying never went of form and left an opening. In a former article we gave an instance of that in McMillian and Elliott, whose ill-luck it was to be understudies to the famous Chadwick and Milward wing. The one wing in England that never lost in form while the partnership existed.

Another instance of a permanent player, in the Combination team was little “Joey” Murray, an inside right, who was one of Everton's stock favourites. Murray was of small built, but had girth with it, and for his height and weight one of the wonders of football. He could “head” anything from a yard high to three yards, even if he had to climb up an opponent's back to do it. He was of naturally florid complexion and directly a game started his face became a vivid pink, and remained pink throughout the game. You could always find Murray on the field instanter by looking for the smallest player and red face. That was inevitably Murray. He was always laughing, too, his round ruddy face wretched in perpetual smiles –he was a combination of puck and cupid in shinguards. The crowd idolised him, full of antics full of good nature, never “dirty” in his play, but a real skilled footballer of the best class, and game as a bulldog. But for his inches –and his girth –Joey Murray was good enough to play for England, or Ireland. Murray was a comic singer of no means capacity, and his services were eagerly sought on behalf of charities all over the city. Other combination names come to mind with these recollections. “Paddy” Gordon was a great forward and contemporary with Murray. While of the greyhound type in appearance, he was possessed of surprising physical stamina, and he, too only failed to get national honours because a permanent opening in the first men seldom came his way. Hope Robertson was a Scottish half-back of good repute who passed through the Combination team eventually into the League team, and figured in some of Everton's memorable Lancashire Cup-ties of which we have written and also in League games for a season or two. David Storrier another brilliant Scotsman graduated through the Combination team into the League, but once there Davie “held the job.” He was a dour, rugged boy with the bravest of hearts in a battle, and for long held his place in the League team by sheer merit well won. He was in the famous final for Everton against Aston Villa at Crystal Palace. Jack Robertson the Scottish International, had as brilliant a career as any of the Everton players, after a “Combination” training, but left Everton while still in his early prime to gain greater honours in his native Scotland. Collins was a Scottish back that came to Everton with a Clyde reputation of promise. He played in the Combination team and became almost a fixture there as in his case too, the chance of promotions never came his way until he was tired of waiting and had gone elsewhere. Eccles was another instance of a really brilliant player kept drumming his heels in a reserve team overlong, because the first team man in his place never lost form. Eccles was a most popular and gentlemanly player, his father-in-law, Jack Lewis, being about that time trainer of the Everton Club. Menham, a goalkeeper whom Everton had secured from the Army team, also began as a Combination player, and later got his chance in the League team. He was in goal for Everton at the Crystal Palace final, and unfortunately for himself and Everton was not in his best form, that day, which Aston Villa were keen to take advantage of, raising long shots in at him constantly. Mention of the trainers of ‘Everton in those days recalls “Louie” Love, who came to Everton from Cambuslang and who took a great interest naturally in the young countrymen of his, who in those days were making frequent journey south. He stayed at Everton some seasons, and gave many a helping hand to players who made good in England under his care.

Another old trainer of those days was Ali Gilbert, who came from Nottingham, and who had a long list of famous track champions under his professional care. Gilbert conducted his training on thoughout and unusual lines, but the results were satisfactory to the directors and the players gave him their fullest confidence. Any mention of old trainers of Everton would be incomplete that omitted reference to the doyen of them all –Waugh –whose photo can still be found in the groups of old players still to be seen. Anfield way, who can forget those wonderful old groups in the familiar cerise jerseys Everton wore in those days, with the dark-brained edge? Most of the old faces surrounding the groups of players have passed away; a few happily remain with us, adding faurcls who in divers capacities to the game. But some of those groups measures the years for us! What recollection? Angus Doyle, and Hannah, Lockhead, Holt, and Kirkwood, and so on. There is always something –what shall we say, arrk? –In the appearance of an old football or cricket group as you regard the fading photographs. There they are as they stood that particular day “so many years” ago! There Jack, winking openly at the photographers, Bill has been saying something funny, see Tom can't keep his face straight, and George's dog look! It has moved, and has two heads and four tails!” All are there, in their youth!

February 9, 1925. The Daily Courier. ?
By S.H.H.
Liverpool won the return Derby game at Anfield on Saturday, and completed the double, for the game earlier in the season had gone in their favour. Although the Anfielders were value for their success the score rather flattered them; at the same time one must give them credit for taking their chances. Compared with the losers, Liverpool were a better-balanced side. The forwards and halves worked in harmony more than did the Blues, and in addition were not adverse to falling back and helping the defence. Not that this was often necessary, for Lucas and McKinlay tackled so resolutely; still, when occasion demanded, it was always forthcoming. The covering tactics and soundness of defence were the keynote of Liverpool's success. Had the Everton men adopted similar tactics, it is possible a different result would have been forthcoming. Neither Raitt, McDonald, or Harland could be compared with the opposing trio, and this was brought vividly to mind soon after the interval.

Although a goal down at half time, Everton showed such marked improvement forward that it was always possible they would get on level terms. The defence, however, made the mistake of coming too far forward; no doubt their intentions were well meant, for at that time the Reds' goal was being subjected to pressure. But it was a risky thing to do, and as events proved a disastrous one. Lucas with a fine volley drove the ball out to Rawlings who was standing a yard off the centre line, but in his own half, and the winger, evading McDonald, raced through. Raitt came across, but as he moved the winger turned the ball inwards to Johnson, who was to the right of the goal. Now the centre was in a position to shoot, though had he done so Harland would probably have saved it. It was a cute move on his part to put the ball square, for Hopkins was unmarked, and though Harland got his hands to the latter's drive he could not keep it from going into the net. That momentary lapse cost Everton the points, for Liverpool in the knowledge of a comfortable lead, played confidently, and quickly got a third through Chambers, who shouldered the back off before steering the ball with his left foot past the oncoming goalkeeper. Everton rallied, splendidly, and Chadwick reduced the lead with a free kick that Scott got down to but failed to hold. But it was not Everton's day, for Cock twice missed open goals, and Irvine, after seeing Scott save a splendid header, twice kicked the ball too far ahead. It was an enjoyable game, despite the number of free kicks, and the police are to be complimented on the manner in which they cleared the ground of the crowd –54,000 paid £3200 for admission –that looked at one time likely to stop play.

Liverpool I have stated were the sounder combination. They had dangerous raiders in Hopkins and Rawlings, though the last named in the opening half wasted three fine openings. Still, it was through him that the first goal was engineered, Shone snapping up a forward pass to shoot over the head of Harland. Apart from getting the goal, the Garston lad foraged well, and he, Johnson, and Chambers combined cleverly. McNabb and Pratt were the better of halves, while further behind Lucas's anticipation single him out as the best player on the field. McKinlay after his lengthily absence showed up well, though he was seized with cramp in the last minute and had to be carried off. Everton did their best work in the second half, when the forwards moved more in harmony. Chedgzoy and Irvine made a better wing than Chadwick and Troup, though the inside left shot on every opportunity. McBain and Brown were the pick of the Halves and Raitt, a better back than McDonald. Harland, like Scott, did not have too much to do; but the Everton man, if he was unfortunate with two of the shots that took effect saved brilliantly in the first few minutes from Shone. Teams; - Liverpool: - Scott, goal, Lucas, and McKinlay (captain), half-backs, McNabb, Wadsworth, and Pratt, half-backs, Rawlings, Shore, Forshaw, Chambers, and Hopkins, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee A. Ward.

February 12 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
It is the first time in history of Everton that League match at Goodison Park has had to be postponed owing to rain. The Goodison Park ground was opened by the late Lord Kinnard them president of the Football Association in 1892, and the abandonment of the game owing to adverse conditions is a rare event. One recalls a heavy snowstorm stopping a Cup-tie between Everton and Stockport County some years ago, but no instance previously of flooding making a start impossible. But rain did stop one match, and the abandonment resulted in a riot. This was December 1895, when Everton net Small Heath, now Birmingham City. It rained for three days before the match and the ground in parts was under water, bit it was hoped it would drain sufficiently to allow the game to be played. Play started in a torrent of rain, but the game had been in progress only half an hour, when it was found impossible to continue, and the officials and players retired to the dressing room. The spectators waited for some time in the hope of seeing more “football” and when an intimation was went round that the game had been abandoned, a section of the crowd galtered in front of the directors stands and demanded their money back.

February 13, 1925. The Liverpool daily Post and Mercury
The Everton club have decided to take action against the Darlington Club over the transfer of Scott from Darlington to Liverpool from February 7. There is no question of grievance against Liverpool in regard to the matter, but the Everton directors claim that Scott had already been “booked” by them and should not have been allowed to sign for the Anfield Club. Everton urge that negotiations were opened for the transfer of O'Donnell and Scott together and that both players were “booked” pending satisfactory termination of the deal. O'Donnell was secured but Scott was not fixed up for a week of so, and when the Everton representatives went up to Darlington later to complete the transfer and secure Scott signature, they missed the player. Two days later Mr. WC. Cuff, the Everton chairman stated yesterday, that the club may well be taking the matter before the football League and the football Association and, if necessary, before a civil court. “We have legitimate grounds of complaint against Darlington Club,” “He added,” We consider their action should be subject for inquiry, and we are claiming that inquiry, the facts will be laid before the authorities. I do not wish to say anything further than that at the moment, as it would be unfair to make any suggestion or statement. Our Darlington correspondent wires that the officials of the Darlington club were astounded on learning that Everton intended to take action, and there appears to be a great deal of doubt in Darlington as to the particular reason on which the Goodison park officials base their claim. When negotiations first opened Everton desired that both O'Donnell and Scott should become their players and a sum was agreed upon for both men. It was them pointed out to the Everton officials that Scott was not likely to leave Darlington, and a separate arrangement was there fore made with regard to O'Donnell. Scott, as anticipated, declined to sign for Everton during that weekend, but still believing that they could induce the player to transfer his affections to Goodison Park. An Everton representative visited Darlington on the following Thursday, again the player declined to sign, and it was generally believed that all negotiations were at an end. This however, from the action of the Everton does not appear to have been the case, for it seems that they consider that they have still some claim upon Scott. The Darlington directors at any rate were convinced that the matter was at an end, and in transferring the player to Liverpool, were not awarded that any rule had been transgressed. They gave Scott a free hand in the matter, and they claim that they have kept faith throughout.

February 14 1925. The Daily Courier.
The postponement of the game with Notts County may prove a blessing in disguise for Everton as it enables them to tackle Sunderland in the best possible conditions. Moreover the Wearsiders had a stiff game with Bolton Wanderers and may be feeling the effects of it this afternoon. The Everton player, who have been staying at Ben Rhydding on the Yorkshire moors since Wednesday, are reported fit and confident of again holding their own with Sunderland. The side with two exceptions, Broad and Troup for Cock is the same as ousted the Wearsiders from the Cup. Sunderland are also at full strength and think they will be able to show their form in the Cup-tie was all wrong. That of course remains to be seen. Personnally I think Everton will win though the margin between the sides may not be large.

February 14, 1925. The Liverpool Football Club.
They were a wonderful trinity –Taylor, Booth, and Abbott. Jack Taylor's career has already been recorded in these random symposia, but Booth and Abbott individually great helped to strengthen a line that for many years had been Everton's pride. It is curious to reflect how all the really great teams have found their soul in the middle line. Cast your memory back as you will to any of the brilliant teams that have shone for a season, or a number of seasons, and inevitably it will be realised that the half-backs line has been a line of intellect and untiring energy. Nothing also can make a team so surely, nothing can break a team so completely, as genius well directed, or mediocrity in the backbone division, be the forwards, backs, or keeper what they will. In the combination of Booth and Abbott with Taylor, there was the perfect assembly of rugged dour downright grit, with sure defensive instinct. That was Abbott. There was the shrewd incisive cool deliberation wedded to bold, fearless audacity. That was Booth. In Taylor was the gaunt determination to overcome every obstacle to the immediate end in the view, whether attack or defence.

All were solid, hefty men to move; men that an opponent would hesitate to play in any but the orthodox manner. Otherwise would be to court reprisals. And they could give as much as they took in that direction. Walter Abbott brought to Everton from Small heath way a plain, blunt name as a player of sterling worth. Nothing showery he had no parlous tricks, and he didn't advertise. But he did play solid, rebust football according to the rules, and he had nineteen different methods of stopping the opposing forwards from scoring, and was prepared to put any one of them, or the whole nineteen, into immediate practice at any given minute. He knew too, where the goal lay –both goals –the one he was covering and the one he wanted to cover, and always took the direct method in his aim. He had a working knowledge of every move in the football game, and no player, whatever his size or weight, had any errors for him in attack or defence. Being a plain simple-minded follower of the game, he adopted the plainest and simplest of methods to attain his immediate objective and, growing up into maturity as a player with Everton, it could truthfully be said of him at the end of his playing career that he left nothing but happy memories at Goodison park, as they were always given to a player who has yielded faithfully and honourable service. With the public at Goodison Park there were few players more steadfast in their esteem than the genial Walter. Among the players whether on the practice field, or the cinder trick, or in the clubroom, when cards were were out after training time, there was no more popular comrade than that same Walter, with his black clay pipe always aglow. Tom Booth, too, had a charm of his own and was ever welcome in any social gathering of Liverpool or Everton players. Tom was a wonderfully successful billiard player, and he was in great demand whenever the social hour permitted a game either at home or away in club matches. Geo. Crelly, Kitchen, and Booth were generally to be found whenever billiards were going, and in both Everton and Anfield billiard circles team matches were popular side functions and relieved often the tedium of strict training. On the field Booth had a personality of his own. His height was used to the best of advantage though it has not always been considered an advantage to the above the average height in a player who aspires to distinction as a half-back. But Booth had himself always in the pink of training conditions, and never took the field except in the fittest conditions. He used his long limbs to every advantage and could hold his own with the fleetest of forwards. His strong feature of play was in planning offensive raids and opening out scoring positions for his forwards. Being of good natured and good hearted temperament it was rarely that Tom Booth ever brought himself under the notice of the referee, and among First Division player it is probably true to say that he had not an enemy. To the directors of the club he was one of those fortunate players that is never an anxiety. Always fit always a trier, always a worker, and always “brainy” with his work –what more could any club committee wish for? That was the happy state of the Everton half back division during the period that these three gifted players were associated. Is it any wonder that the fortunes of the club kept on an even keel? Always a pleasure to watch, always certain of a loyal following, always playing the most attractive of games if they did not win championships they were potentially always amongst the starts, and the principal reason was the superiority individually and collectively, of these three players over and above that of the average teams they had to meet week after week.

It would almost seen that the previous famous line, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, had been most successfully replaced, and that the club had renewed its youthful brilliancy in the personnel if its half-back line. Well, other clubs have had similar good fortune. We can recall one famous half back line at Anfield, Tom Watson used to say was unbeatable by any other club in Great Britian, and Tom Watson was a great judge of football players. Some day we shall tell of Tom and the “dancing barber” who wanted to play for England. But that is, and will be, another story. It was a great set-back to the steadiness of the Everton team as a whole, when time put an end to the partnership of those brilliant half backs. It always seems that brilliancy can be imported with advantage into the forward line of a team without upsetting the momentum or striking power of the team as a whole. But to import one player into a half back line that has been associated in play together long enough to become assimilated is very near to being a risk. And, as everybody knows risks are all right –when they come off! But –Well, Tom Booth and happy Walter Abbott like other players on our list, came amongst us, and dwelt long in our tents, and later on in fullness or time, when their playing days were over, they passed on, folding their tents, and carrying with them out lingering gratefulness as good friends and fine sportsmen. (Note. Tom Booth is now devoting himself to billiards, and is busy in the Amateur Championship-).

February 16 1925. The Daily Courier.
By S.H.H.
Sunderland gained their revenge against Everton for the cup exit by a score that did not do justice to the losers. Everton, who had been at Ben Rhydding since the Wednesday, gave one of the best first half displays of the season, keeping the ball travelling from wing to wings and at the same time not allowing the Sunderland men to settle down to any decided plan. In the first minute the left wing opened up the way for a possible goal, Chadwick placing the ball well between Cresswell and Oakley for Broad to take it in his stride. But luck was not with Everton as although McInroy was helpless, the ball came back off the post for the goalkeeper to clear. This did not dismay the visitors, and for the first ten minutes; they riddled the Sunderland defence. The home halves could not get a grip of the fleet-footed Everton wingers, in addition to which Cresswell was not inspiring confidence by his ballooning of the ball. It therefore, came as no surprise when Broad took a centre from the right wing and netted; the Everton men had been the better side up to this point, and with the home lot sticking the close passing game, to which the swampy ground did not lend itself, it seemed as though Everton would carry off the spoils. But this they failed to do, though McInroy was twice lucky to get out of dangerous situations, and gradually we saw the Wearsiders get the measure of the Blues.

Heeding the cries of the crowd to “swing it about.” Marshall kept plying Death and then prior alternating with a dash through himself. At the end of half hour Prior manceurved on the line before turning the ball to Buchan, and the inside men, by one of those side flicks which have made him famous, rounded Reid and McDonald to flash in a shot that Kendall saw little of in its flight to the top part of the net. It was a brilliant Buchan goal, and undoubtedly played a big part in the subsequent victory, as the Wearsiders, after opening poorly, developed into an excellent side. Within two minutes they were in the lead, though I rather think the referee in the wrong in penalising Kendall. The ball had come rather low across the face of the goal from Prior, and Kendall fell on it, but before he could regain his feet he was the centre of a melee. However, he emerged from the ruck and apparently, taking more than two strides, was pulled up. Now this was a little more than a yard from the goal, when Prior tipped the ball sideways. Buchan lengthy leg had it into the net. This was the extent of the scoring at the interval.

Following the change over, Everton gave promise of at least holding, their own, and McInroy had a lively five minutes, but in a raid on the Everton goal Brown was hurt, and from this point hopes of getting even a point evaporated. The half-back was attended to behind the goal, but was eventually led off the field. Ellis got a third goal, when he turned to account a delightful piece of work, in which Prior, Buchan, and Marshall participated, Everton, after this were a spent force, and although Buchan left the field just before the end, Marshall completed the visitors' discomfiture by heading a fourth goal from a corner. Though beaten, Everton gave a quite a good display up to the point of losing Brown, so that there is reasonable excuse for such a big score against them. Forward, Broad led a line that was always going ahead, and which moved in harmony throughout. At half-back McBain got through a deal of heavy work in the mud, and he was ably assisted by his colleagues. Behind Raitt and McDonald defended finely, though after Brown's departure they were overrun. In goal Kendall shaped well, being no whit behind McInroy, who is generally accepted as England's goalkeeper. Sunderland's strength was in the forward line, but even here it was not until they had got the lead that they touched their best form. Teams : - Sunderland: - McIroy, goal, Cresswell (captain), and Oakley, backs, Clunas, Parker, and Andrews, half-backs, Prior, Buchan, Marshall, Ellis, and Death, forwards. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt, and McDonald backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Broad, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

February 16, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
By their narrow win, Everton have placed themselves in a good position for the League championship, especially as the leaders. The Wednesday lost another two points. Although the score indicates a close game Everton were much the superior side, and during the first half kept the visitors on the defence. Forbes was in great form, and it was due to his clever dribbling and centres, Williams scores his three goals. Prior to the interval Parry was badly kicked and Everton played with only four forwards during the second half. Oldham rearranged their forward, and Carroll, who went centre scored two goals. The first was the result of good play between himself and Scholes, and the second though a mix-up between the Everton backs and keeper, which left him with an open goal. Williams afterwards missed an open goal though slipping on the treacherous turf.

February 16, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Courier.
Everton journeyed to Ormskirk with a good side in which there were several new faces, and though well beaten they gave a fairly good display against a side stronger in nearly all departments. John Gregson, the home inside-right, scored all his side's three goal and was the best forward on the field, being closely followed by Barton, the Everton “A” inside right, who though very young showed distinct promise. Weir and McGrae (halves) Gaffney and Rankin (backs), and Milford (goal) also did well for the losers. There was not a weak spot in the home side, the halves being particularly sound.

February 21, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo
Mr. James Ramsey, A Liverpool Director Whose Memory Endures
By Victor Hall
It would be almost a misnomer to speak only of the work of the late James Ramsey as being for the Liverpool club, because it was really for all Liverpool football. By that would be meant both Everton and Liverpool and truly he was a loyal friend of both clubs –Everton in their striving youth and Liverpool from their cradle onwards. Mr. Ramsey was one of the old Everton Club Committee who at the time of the trek stayed by the old ground and helped to found the new club. He was elected first honorary treasurer of the Liverpool club and I believe –speaking from memory –be continued that office up to the final breakdown in health that led to his final severance. What a lovable and kindly heart he had, it seemed as if many a time he tried to disguise his natural sympathy by an appearance of briquettes that was but a poor disguise for the warm and generous nature that was his by instinct. From the earlier days of the founding of the Liverpool club, and for some anxious years afterwards the position of the honorary treasurer was one of keen anxiety. The bitterness of the early days had not altogether died down and “gates” were attenuated and painfully fickle. The financial responsibilities of the new club were not light; expensive players had been booked in as Endeavour to provide attractive football, and so to win the steadfast approval of a growing body of supporters. The natural result was that the weekly salary list was a formidable item, especially where gates were slender and other revenue, such as season tickets, stand admission &tc, practically non-existent.

Public Spirited
With a less ardent band of sportsmen than those worthy souls who gathered round the treasurer, the outlook would have been hopeless. But the public spirited men were there, and the width of their personality in those trying days will never be forgotten. Foremost in those names was the present League president, John McKenna, Tom Howarth, Alec Nesbitt and L. Crossthwaite to some of whom tributes will be paid in later articles. But the real responsibility was all the time on the treasurer and well and nobly James Ramsey shouldered the burdle. The late Alderman John Houlding was the president of the young Liverpool club, and then, as always before his financial support was behind the young club to the last penny if necessary; But the new committee (it was not then a Limited company) were proud of their young club and confident they would pull it through unaided by exterior help; and so they struggled and planned in every little economy in order to keep down expenses and avoid increasing their debit balance. Even in those early days the youth club was blessed with a loyal band of hard headed workers who toiled late and early to bring fame and fickle fortune to the young recruit. The talisman of John Houlding's name in Everton was of course, their premier asset but slowly it was realized that so far from being a “one man” show it was a band of zealous who had bayoneted the chariot of their youth and glowing energies to the fortune of the Liverpool club, and as real begets zeal, the weekly list of patrons grew – ever so slowly at first but grow it did; week by week, until one fine day, after years of labour, the danger point had passed, and the club had sailed into clear whether and a sunny sky. Those years of struggle had been anxious years for “Jim Ramsey” and they left a strain on his energetic that eventually told a tale. But he had enjoyed the struggle. He lived for the club in those early days. Late and early he would be round on the ground. In the season when the pressure of daily routine work was to be seen to. In the summer even, when players were gathered to their friends and families in far away Scotland, daily his work went on. The ground had to be refrained or resodded in parts, stands to be repaired or extended, painting and woodwork renewed, hundreds of tons of earth and cinders collected and disposed to increase the terracing, and so the summer days were no holiday for the treasurer but rather added to his duties for the work was continuous and in these days there were no team managers or office staff to superintend things and help. And the treasurer was a honorary officials. No wonder the memory of that first treasurer is kept green out Anfield way! Physically Mr. Ramsey was not robust. His health had for years been a matter of anxiety and in football matches the physical strain of the excitement of the game effected him to an extraordinary degree. He simply could not sit or stand still while watching a game.

Sharing It
His whole body moved in vibration with the fluctuations of play. He would go through practically the whole gamut of emotion that each player of the side endured. With the forwards he would partake of the joyous dash for goal, he would scar with the success, or droop –with the failure of every shot; when danger threatened the Liverpool goal, he suffered the anxieties of the defence and shared the peril of the goalkeeper. To be with him during the match was to be a sharer of his hopes on fears, so he wisely –as a rule –took himself to a quiet corner of the stand or a convenient window of the ground office where he could endure his pangs in solitary enjoyment. But after the match! Ah! If we had won the sky was the only limit to his praises of the players to their tact, their finesse, their real outstanding “over all” merit. If we lost he was sad, sometimes to the verge of gloom. He sorrowed with every player's failure he had a kind word even for the culprits on the day's form. It in other words, he was a real human heart who, with no exterior polish, radiated his hopes and fears and showed his sincere and honest happy nature. The geniality of his smile his ready Irish wit, his companionableness, his generous open hearty were great, great assets to the struggling Liverpool club of those early days. And of all the assets they held in those trying days, none were better than the love and fostering care of that big-hearted little man.

I think it would interest some of the readers of the “Football Echo” to hear of the local boys who made good after leaving the old Liverpool South End A.F.C.
Fred Nidd, right back Bury and Everton
W. Ball left half Bury and Everton
W. Ball left half back, Everton, Notts County, and Blackburn
Jack Brearley, centre forward, Middlesbrough, Everton, and Tottenham

February 23, 1925. The Daily Courier.
By S.H.H.
A goal by Tunstall in the first three minutes deprived Everton of further interest in the F.A.Cup. They and Sheffield United have now met four times in Cup warfare and honours are even, for each has won twice on its own enclosure. It Everton were disappointed the way the game ended, they derived some manner of satisfaction in that they put up a fresh ground record for Bramell-lane. The record stood at 51,206, made in 1914, when Bradford met the United in the Cup. On Saturday 51,700 paid £3,430. Everton have only themselves to blame for defeat. They did more goal scoring opportunities than did the home lot, yet the forwards rarely gave the impression they would score, Ii is true they did scramble the ball through in the first half when Chedgzoy splendidly placed a corner, but as in this case of Sheffield United's Green, when a minute before had headed through following a corner, an infringement of the rules negatived the point. Broad was never happy in the middle, and invariably was offside when the ball came his way, the consequence' being forward moves broke down before close quarters were reached. Chadwick, and Irvine shot frequently enough, and in the first half Sutcliffe turned behind a brilliant cross drive from the first named, but invariably the attempts at goal getting were from too long a range.


The impotency of the forwards was attributed to the light ground and ball. For nineteenths of the game the ball was in the air, and possibly this was the reason for Everton's defeat. The men in front could not control it, and when the ball came in from the wings it was at such a height that King more often than not was able to divert it progress before Broad could get up to it. The Sheffield pivot played a forceful game –too forceful at times, as Broad discovered whenever the Everton man was becoming dangerous –and he was ably assisted by Pantling and Green. However, well as the trio played, the palm for consistency must go to the Everton halves. McBain, Bain and Reid played storming football not only in defence, but attack, and as a line were irreproachable. Behind, McDonald and Raitt kicked a good length, and the many duels between McDonald and Partridge generally ended in favour of the defender. Many though Kendall should have stopped the shot that scored, but I do not agree. The movement that led up to the goal originated on the right, the bounce on the ball beating both McBain, and Reid and going onto Tunstall, who had moved into the centre. The International's drive was a rising one which Kendall caught under the bar, though he could not retain hold of it, and it fell into the net the goalkeeper crashed to the ground.

Leaving out the incident, the “keeping” of Kendall was clever and no less effective than that of Sutcliffe though the Sheffield man was somewhat fortunate in the second half, when the backs in front of him did not inspire confidence to find Chadwick and Irvine shoot inches wide. Green was the pick of the United halves and allowed Chedgzoy little latitude, while forward Tunstall and Gillespie made a better wing than id Partridge, and Boyle, and it was this pair that generally caused the Everton defence most trouble. Johnson, like the Everton leader, was little seen, though in his case an injury, which kept him off the field ten minutes in the second half, was largely responsible. Teams : - Sheffield United: - Sutcliffs, goal, Cook, and Milton, backs, Pantlings, King, and Green half-backs, Partridge, Boyle, Johnson, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt and McDonald, backs, McBain (captain), Bain, and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Broad, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards.

February 23, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
A late goal scored by Harron, following a free kick just outside the penalty area, gave Wednesday Reserves victory over Everton ‘s juniors at Hillsboro on Saturday. The success materially strengthening the Sheffielder's position at the head of the Central league. Wednesday played better than the single goal suggests, for Helliwell struck the bar from twenty yards while Taylor headed it against it before the interval. Forbes was a very dangerous forward but both Wall and Williams shot indifferently. Rooney and Virr were the pick of the halves.

February 26, 1925. The Daily Courier.
By S.H.H.
Everton and Cardiff City played their rearranged League fixture yesterday at Goodison Park, when the visitors won much more easily than the score would indicate. For one thing, they found conditions similar to those generally met with at Ninian Park, and as a consequence were more, “at home” than the Goodison park side. Heavy rain for two days had left the ground more like a mud bath, and judging by the conditions of the players they were no doubt glad when it was all over. Long before the finish it was impossible to distinguished Broad or Wall so completely were they covered with mud. Wall came into the side owing to Irvine's injury, and he and Broad were the best of a poor line of forwards that never seemed able of overcoming the tireless halves opposed to. Wall came into the side owing to Irvine's them. Cardiff City had much to thank Wake, Keenor, and Hardy, for especially the last named who seems to have inexhaustible energy. Not only did the trio tie up the Everton attackers, but they found time to open out numerous openings for their own forwards, who responded in delightful manner, and tried the Everton defence sorely. There was only one goal scored in the opening half, and this was got by Cardiff, Beadles turning the ball out to Davies, who returned it for the former Liverpool man to take a couple of strides before driving it past Harland. Prior to this Everton had missed a great chance, Wall, when through, shooting at Farquharson, who punched the ball out, to see the return by Broad turned behind. Pay in the early part of the second half went much the same way –this is, in favour of Cardiff –and it was a delightful move on the left wing that resulted in Davies going into the centre to put the City two up. Everton after this did much better, and after the ball bobbled about in the goalmouth following a raid by the Everton right wing, Broad snapped up a header from Wall to turn the ball into the net as Farquhtson left his goal. Broad looked like repeating the performance a few minutes later, but this time the ball missed, the far post by inches. The spurt however, was only temporary, and Cardiff were soon attacking again. Cardiff have excellent wingers in Lawson and Gill and Beadles and Davies, while Nicholson proved a fine emergency leader. At half-back Keenor and Hardy were the pick, while of the backs Nelson kicked an excellent length. Everton's half-backs were not so successful as against Sheffield. Reid being the best of the trio. O'Donnell who made his debut at back, came though the ordeal with credit, tackling well and kicking strongly. He should render Everton good service. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, McBain (captain), Bain, and Reid, half-backs Chedgzoy, Wall, Board, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards. Cardiff City: - Farquharson, goal, Nelson, and Blair, backs, Wake, Kennor, and Hardy, half-backs, Lawson, Gill, Nicholson, Beadles, and W. Davies forwards.

Transferred Stoke.
Dundee Courier - Saturday 28 February 1925
Joe Clennell, the Cardiff City inside left, has been transferred to Stoke." Clennell joined Cardiff from Everton about three and a half years ago. and made 106 appearances out of a possible 116. A recent injury kept him out the team and after Beadles' brilliant debut he failed to regain his place. Clennell leaving Cardiff City at his own request.

February 28, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo
Rooney, of Everton, made his League debut a right half back. Rooney who stands 6ft 8ins and weighs 11st 7lbs is a local youth who had been at Goodison for some time, he has always been a fancied by the Everton officials but they did not desire to rush him with the result that he has been playing in the “A” team a lot and when with the reserves he showed sound half-back work.

February 28 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo.
In a previous article we spoke of the organisation of “Stewards” whom the Everton directors called into being in their earl days at Goodison Park. The stewards were shareholders whom, in circumstances and on special occasions could be relied on to give honorary service to the club when needed. The occasions arose fairly often in which the new crowds flocking to the ground at Goodison Park would require directing as to stand entrances, reserved seats, and transfers, and so on; and it was early found that by skilled direction in seating accommodation a few extra “hundreds” could be got into the large covered stands. So there came the honorary band of stewards, with their badges of office, who acted as unpaid officials and were of considerable service to the club. The directors themselves nominated the membership, and in all probably about fifty were enrolled. They held their own little weekly meetings to arrange their duties for the following Saturdays, and even had their own “captain.” Many of these stewards afterwards became directors of the club, and among such names one recalls that of the late Mr. “Ben” Kelly.

His elder brother, Mr. Richard Kelly, had previously held office as a director, and his valued advice had been of great service to the new company in the laying out of the land, and the arrangement of plans for stands and terraces. Mr. “Ben” Kelly himself in his youth had been a keen and capable player in amateur Rugby club circles in the neighborhood of Aintree, where in lived, and his addition to the board of directors at a later date was most valuable from the club point of view, in all that had to do with the physique and training care needed by practical athletic. Kelly, brothers, Walton, had a large number of workmen in their own employ as builders and contractors, and indeed, they numbered quite a few clubs among their own employees, so the appointment of the popular young “boss” Mr. “Ben” as a director of the Everton football club, gave great local satisfaction out Walton way and well was that satisfaction deserved. Never had the club had a more sincere and conscientious officials. Strictly temperate and disciplined in his own life and libations, Mr. Kelly was never known to be other than sympathetic and considerable in the views of others who differed from him. To the players, while strict in his views as to their obligations to the club, he was always gentle and kindly in seeing the “other fellows” point of view, and keen in his own observances of his club duties and responsibilities. Until his heath became impaired in later years, he was seldom absent from a committee, or from the self-imposed duties he undertook in attention to ground work, or recreations with the players. Imbued with a strong sense of humour he was always ready to see the right side of every joke, and his yoke lay lightly on those who erred. For him the players would do anything, or go anywhere, and when occasions demanded a long night journey in search or signature of new players, he was ready after a hard day's business to take the night trial in a labour of love for the game he enjoyed so well. The confidence of the shareholders and the public never wavered in their just estimate of his valued work for the club, so that it happened he had rarely to meet a cornpetitor even in the days when “factions” were rare at annual meetings of shareholders. To a pressman some of those old-fashioned annuals were hugely interesting. For weeks beforehand the columns of the evening “Echo” would record the claims or charges of the contending “interests.” Team selections would be revived and the claims of deported or dismissed players canvassed out of all proportion to their public interest. Lobbying would be indulged in for weeks beforehand in order to secure the views or anti-views of setting directors to the claims of the reformers, and reformers, and drastic threats were indulged in as to wholesale clearances failing “reform.” Caucus meetings were held, both public and private, in order to assess strength and direct tactics. Yet with the wholesome sense of public spirit characteristic of both Everton and Liverpool, the morning after the annual meeting has always found the old club pursuing once more the even tenor of its ordered progress. Directors like players come and go. They function actively their allotted spell, for zeal or otherwise and, passing on, make way for those who follow to carry on the torch. Of those who have so served Everton there are many, some happily still in their prime but honorably resting on well-won honours, no longer actively associated with the management. Others like Mr. “Ben” Kelly have laid down the great burden, but leave the club richer by their service, and the game itself honored by their personal association.

Some day we may be able to record more definitely the great impetus both Everton and Liverpool have give to League football, by the wisdom and business aptitude of their local directorate in the reception, comfort, and handling of hugh crowd. The average reader, who sees his game in comfort here, on either ground, in leisured ease each week, may not give much though to the years of patent application that busy directors have given in preparing for his coming. But there has been such careful planning, and it has taken time –and brains –and applied interest, to secure his welfare. Telephone and telegraphs, wind shelters drainage, and extra turnstiles and pressure barriers terracing and sight angles, have not evolved themselves, neither have excursions trains, or special trams, cab ranks, motor parks, or season and “transfers,” Tickets, Most of these reforms in the enjoyment of Saturday football are now common to all Football League clubs. You would probably be surprised to learn in how many instances Everton and Liverpool singly or working together, have been the pioneers! And that means quite, plain, hardworking and thinking men at the head of affairs. And one of the best of these in Lancashire was Mr. “Ben” Kelly, of the Everton club.





February 1925