Everton Independent Research Data


February 1 st 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton have signed Patterson, a young Scottish centre forward from Camelon Juniors. He stands 5ft 8ins, and weighs 11 st , and is regarded as a player likely to diverge into a good forward. He may be introduced to Everton's centre League on Saturday.

February 2 nd 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Changes in the team have been found necessary, the most important of which is that Irvine is to play outside right in place of Moffatt. The extreme wing berth has proved are of the weak places and the directors have endeavoured to solve the problem by moving the clever Irishman and bringing in Bain as his partner. Both players have had previous experience is that Rooney is to play at right half, Peacock who played at half, not being fit. The kick off is at 2-30, and the team is: - Hardy, McDonald, Kerr, Rooney, Hart Virr; Irvine, Bain, Dean Dominy, and Troup.

February 2, 1927. The Daily Courier
Everton Bring Rooney into the Halves, While Irvine Moves to Outside Right, with Bain as Partner.
Everton are optimistic that they will safely make the harbour of the fifth f=round. At the same time, the opposition Hull City will offer is not minimised. The Everton players, following their visit to Stafford for Brine baths, wound up their training with a stroll round the Everton district yesterday. There will be three changes in the Blues' side, like that of their opponents. Peacock, the right half, has an injured leg, and Rooney will take his place. Forward an experiment is being tried by placing Irvine at outside right, with Bain as his partner. Bain has been tried in several positions this season, but today's move will be watched with more than ordinary interest. The changes in the Hull City team, which comes on from Blackpool this morning as announced in the Daily Courier yesterday are Guyan the South Shields player, in the centre for Whitworth, with McLaughlin inside-left, Martin going to outside-right. Optimism prevails in the Everton camp. Mr. W.C. Cuff, the chairman of the club, says; "Advantage of ground should help Everton to get into the next round. "The Hull ground is a small one, and Everton found it a handicap, but at home it will be another story." In predicting a win, Mr. Cuff should be regarded as a prophet, because before Everton went to Hull he expressed the view that Everton would do well to force a draw. Mr. Tom McIntosh, the manager, said-"It is going to be a hard match and we hope to win. It certainly will not be as easy as some people seem to think. The ground is in splendid condition," The teams are; Everton; Hardy; McDonald, Kerr; Rooney, Hart, Virr; Irvine, Bain, Dean, Dominy, and Troup. Hull City; Maddison; McGee, Bell; Swan, Dixon, Sullivan or Bleakley; Martin, Scott, Guyan, McLaughlin, and Taylor.

Falkirk Herald - Wednesday 02 February 1927
Camelon Juniors have lost their clever centre forward, James Paterson, Causewayhead, who has signed for Everton. The terms agreed upon by the player, Camelon Club, and Everton were satisfactory to all parties, and it is stated to be one of the largest sums ever given for a junior player’s signature.
Paterson is 19 years of age, stands 5ft. 8in., and weighs 11st. He carries with him the best wishes of the Camelon club.

February 3, 1927. The Daily Courier
Extra Time Falls to Decide who Shall Meet Wolves
Blues Peter Out After Holding Two Goal Lead
Hull Only Visiting Side to Score in Five Ties
Tigers Great Rally
First Half Deficit Wiped Out
Everton, after a rough passage, failed to enter the harbour of the fifth round. During the half-an-hour extra time, in which both sides ran themselves to a standstill, each in turn was in danger of foundering on the rocks. In that portion Guyan missed a grit. Otherwise Everton would have no further interest in the competition. The directors of the clubs discussed the question of replay. They were agreeable to Monday, but Hull pressed for Leeds as the neutral venue, and Everton urged Birmingham. They agreed to differ, and suggested the F.A. should decide, but later it was stated Birmingham had been decided on. This means Dean will be unable to play in the International trial. Everton have themselves to blame they did not win outright in the first half, when they ought to have had a four goals lead. In any case they should not have let the two goals lead be whittled away. Troup's first goal after four minutes was an Everton tonic. The off-side trap, which was too recurrent, did not work that time. Wiseacres may shake their heads over Everton's lapse. If such it be, but this was no "exhibition" day. Hull's storming tactics, their strange methods, have to be seen to be believed. There were some hard knocks going, but the players fringed and bore them. Dean's goal was a good one. Irvine, in an off-side position, judiciously kept out of the movement.

Dixon Worries Dean.
Dean showed he could receive and give a charge with the best, but he was largely an individualist, challenged and worried throughout by Dixon. His wings were haphazard after the first half. Irvine started splendidly, but began to fade away, and when by changing places, Irvine got back to his favourite inside berth, there was no improvement on this wing. Bain in no outside-right. Troup was tricker and more workmanlike on the oppose wing, and for a little man he has a powerful kick. The Everton halves had a trying time in tackling the Tigers, who came in spasmodic bursts as of the devour all in their path. Hart waded into a tackle and came out again, and Rooney, the local A teamer, did well as well as could be expected. Hardy had no chance with Scott of Guyan's goals. Bell, who goes till he drops, and Maddison were the Hull heroes. The Hull goalkeeper deserved the ovation from a sporting crowd, to whom the partisanship of the "Tigers" supporters sounded strange. Dixon was a fine centre-half, and the Scott and Martin wing an improvement on the first match. Teams; Everton; Hardy, goal; McDonald and Kerr, Backs; Rooney, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs; Irvine, Bain, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Hull City; Maddison, goal; McGee and Bell, backs; Swan, Dixon and Sullivan, half-backs; Maretin, Scott, Guyan, McLaughlin, and Taylor, forwards. Official, 45, 000 spectators; receipts £3,050.

February 3 rd 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
By "Bees."
Everton and Hull City drew 2-2 after extra time, yesterday at Goodison Park in the fourth round replay of the F.A. Cup, and the second replay will take place at Aston Villa's ground on Monday. It was an astonishing game because after Everton had taken command and scored two goals they faded out to such an extent that Hull City should have won. Having said that I must hasten to put Everton right in the matter of a penalty kick decision that was denied them by the excellent referee Mr. Wood, of Sheffield. The handling case occurred in the last four minutes of extra time. That there was a handling case admits of no doubt. The whole question was one of intent or otherwise, and possibly the referee being on the "blind" side of the case could not see it properly. At any rate he was dogmatic to the point of refusing to consult a linesman.

I know many clubs who would have insisted that he consulted a linesman (on the vital spot), but the Everton players are not pushful in that direction and their lack of fiery protest possibly cost them a spot kick. Had a penalty been taken and yielded a goal the visiting side would have been unjustly treated, because they had proved themselves worthy a draw and Guyan of centre had failed to steal a surprise victory with a side step to a ball that drifted outside that part of the goal that was empty. This was a let off for Everton, and allied to that factor was another, even more important; there came a time when the same forward drove in at an empty goal, and the ball hit McDonald. That was good fortune for Everton, who did not play well enough to deserve a win, and Hull played well enough to earn the right of replay.

Having made that clear, it is necessary to point out that Maddison. In the Hull City goal, prevented Everton winning by a large margin. Maddenson saved four certain goals by superb diving and catching, and his methods of leaving his goal two yards behind him was of striking help to him in the matter of saves from Dean, Troup, and Dominy. Everton were so security on top in the first half that it because unbelievable that it was the same side in the second half it was not the same side in spirit nor yet in football, and there was a change of front that proved rather extraordinary. Bain brought from centre half-backs in the reserve side to resume on an inside forward, had offered unselfish passes to Dean, who had responded with direct shots. But in the later half Bain and Irvine changed places, and if this was not due to Bain being damaged, than it seemed a tactless idea for Irvine had started rather well as outside right, and his penchant for overdribbling had not been so baneful to his side's chance. When he resumed at inside right he worked unceasingly as ever, and his cudding of the ball was clever, but it took him nowhere, save into a wall of defenders, who applied the closure. As a matter of fact Hull live for this sort of super football, and they cut in with avidity; their backs were steady under pressure, and played a great part in keeping the work from Maddison. The crowd could raise a cheer for Maddison, but they could not a raise a voice in encouragement of their own side. It may be that the temperamental trouble of the Goodison side has been carried to the spectators' portion.

As a game it was a great pleasure, because one could not help but admire the way the Hull defence played their part and the way Dixon stuck to Dean, who gave passes, and got few in return. It is impossible for G. O. Smith or any other centre-forward to play if the ball is not handed out to him in something like a combined move; the ball was too often in the air, and the left wing, which had come so well in the first half failed to keep the pace, even if they kept the pace of the second half. The selection of Rooney as right half-back for Peacock (damaged) was quite a success. In his own quiet stylish way Rooney did well against a winger who had been the best forward on the field in the first game. Taylor missed his partner yesterday and Martin, who had left him, went over to the extreme right wing to make the two goals for his side. He did not score them, but he certainly was the instrument by which they came, and strangely enough he had been unemployed for so long that one wondered whether the Hull manager had not made a mistake in chopping his forward line from Saturday last. However, the proof was in the goals scored by Scott, a tall elusive forward, and Guyan.

There was plenty of heavy charging by Dean without the game developing into anything more than a friendly fixture, and in that respect referee and players deserve praise for their valiant part. It was certainly a tremendous turn-round to a game that seemed to be well-won by half time, even if Troup by his early goal and Dean by his fortieth-minute goal had taken a lead that would have damaged most sides ideas of enterprise. Everton sadly disappointed their supporters they did not stay the elongated distance as well as their rivals, and the work of the eleven was of a patchy character. Taken seriatim and making due allowance for the offside tactics adopted by Hull's brilliant full-backs, one is left with the impression; Irvine and Bain played brilliantly for a quarter of an hour; Dean was hard at it throughout a match that did not tend to produce the right kind of pass to the centre-forward albeit the goal he got was from an upward pass.

The left wing had an innings and like the rest of the side it then fell away from grace. At half back none did better than Hart, who had little to accomplish in staying the disappointing Guyan, but had plenty to do in helping his backs and providing passes to his wings. Virr was a trifle below par, and McDonald was a hero at full back, Kerr's punt of the ball imparting a curl that did not allow him full length clearances. Yet I would gave credit to Kerr and McDonald, the latter most noticeably. Considering the chances Hull made by their swift-t0-part Second Division rushes Hardy had another easy day; there was a time when he dropped the ball on the goal line, and another occasion when he threw away and found the ball offered to a Hull forward. However, he could not be blamed for the goal's scored against him, and some of his outward runs were well timed. How, then can one explain Everton's failure to win after being two goals head. Maybe it was that tired feeling of which we read; may be it was lack of confidence for when they were a goal in front they were nerve ridden so soon as Hull moved off. Teams : - Everton: - Hardy goal, McDonald and Kerr backs, Rooney, Hart (captain), and Virr half-backs Irvine, Bain, Dean, Dominy and Troup, forwards. Hull City: - Maddison, goal, McGee, and Bell, backs, Swan, Dixon, and Sullivan, half-backs, Martin, Scott, Guyan, McLaughlin and Taylor, forwards. Referee Mr. Woods.

February 3 rd 192. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton visit Leicester on Saturday to resume their struggle for League points, and compared with yesterday's side a new half-back line is to turn out. Griffiths, the former Wrexham half-back has been selected to fill the pivotal position in place of Hart, and this will be the Welsh player's first appearance in the senior team. As he is to occupy a similar position in the Welsh team against England on the following Saturday the experience should prove beneficial. Brown resumes in place of Rooney, and Reid comes in instead of Virr, Critchley again appears at outside right. The team is; Hardy; McDonald, Kerr; Brown, Griffiths, Reid; Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, Troup.

February 4 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton completed negotiations with Sunderland club yesterday for the transfer of W. Cresswell, the right full back and he will play for the Goodison Club against Leicester at Leicester tomorrow. The amount of the transfer fee has not transpired but it is understood to be a high one, and probably a record for Everton. When Cresswell joined Sunderland from South Shields in March 1922, the fee paid was £5,500. It was indicated in the ''Daily Post'' a week ago that the clubs and the player were endeavoring to come to terms and Mr. Cuff, the Everton chairman informed us of the completion of the necessary papers last evening. The addition of Cresswell to the playing strength will enable Everton to give one of their backs a well-earned rest in view of the cup-tie on Monday. Cresswell's services should prove of the utmost value to the club just now, for the strain on the Everton men is great. He will not be available for the cup-ties. Everton have always had a liking for players of the scientific type, and Cresswell's style of play is essentially founded on cool, scientific methods. His judgement in timing his interventions is superb and his clearances are made with due regard to the positions of his own forwards.

Cresswell played for England as a schoolboy in 1911 at cenre half and in the senior ranks assisted his country against Wales in 1920, and 1926, and against Ireland in 1925. He has also played for the football league. It is curious that the full back will have for his first opponents with the new club, the team he faced in his last game for Sunderland. At Roker Park last Saturday. He was complete master of the Leicester City left back winger Lockhead and Wadsworth and he will no doubt endeavor to accomplish a similar feat for Everton

Meanwhile Rhyl Athletic have signed on Alfred French, centre-forward who is eighteen years of age, and has been playing as an amateur for Everton and Camsell to take dean's place for England against the rest.

February 5 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Progress in the F.A. Cup is conveyed by all clubs but there are times when vital league interests clash with Cup-ties, and when such a position arises the reappearance of the clubs concerned are taxed to the uttermost limits. Everton find themselves in this predicament at the moment for with a Cup replay on Monday before them they go to Leicester today to fight for points which have never in the history of the club been so badly needed. The danger of relegation has become so real that many believe it is not practicable for the club to escape. Football, however, is full of surprises, and Everton will not give up trying. The appearance of Cresswell in the Everton ranks will add additional interest for the match. Griffiths the Welsh international will also be making his first appearance for the Everton League team, and he will have the dashing Chandler to oppose, so that he will undergo a thorough test. Brown returns to his old position, and Reid displaces Virr, while Critchley resumes at outside right. The teams are: - Everton: - hardy; Cresswll, Kerr, Brown, Griffiths, Reid; Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, Troup. Leicester City: - Campbell; Black, Osborne; Duncan, Carrigan, Bishop; Adcock, Hine Chandler, Lochhead, Wadsworth.

February 7 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
While Everton are fighting for their existence in the Senior Division, fate appears to be directed against them, which only goes to prove that when a side is having a lean time everything seems to go wrong. Fate struck a vital blow at Everton in the first half of their game with Leicester City, when Hardy sprung a thigh muscle and was limping badly for the remainder of the game, and it was a moot point as to whether it was advisable to allow him to resume after the interval, for it must be admitted that Everton were then a beaten side, and Hardy was only aggravating his injury. At all events Hardy will not be able to play in the Everton-Hull Cup-tie at Birmingham today, and Davies will take his place, he having been sent for on Saturday night. Everton's defeat was a calamity in view of the big task which comfronts them, and one cannot view the future with optimism. The blow struck by Leicester was the worst experienced by Everton, and it is doubtful whether it would have been alleviated if Hardy had not met with a mishap, for the shots which entered his net were of that type which are rarely stopped. The chief cause of the debacle was the inability of the wing half-backs Reid and Brown, to hold up the speedy wing play of the City. They were distinctly poor. They were neither good in defence nor construction, and as a consequence their forwards had to work out their own salvation, and were not successful in their task, while the defence had double duty to perform.

Although Cresswell and McDonald stood up boldly to Leicester a rapier-like attacks number defeated them, and it was small wonder that Leicester won by 6 goals to 2. The secret of Leicester's success was that the forwards and half-backs linked up with each other. The forwards were feat and were accurate in the passing. They were also quick to task up position, and although Chandler only scored one goal he was for ever a dangerous raider, and Griffiths had a trying time against him and his colleagues Hine and Lochhead. The former Wrexham player had a poor first half, but improved considerably after half-time. Not only did Cresswell, who played a cool and calculating game and did many smart things through his power of anticipation and McDonald suffer through the failure of Brown and Reid, for as can be imagined the forwards rarely received a pass which enabled them to attack. They had to do too much foraging on their own account, and although they promised to test the Leicester defence those promises were never fulfilled. Dean might have scored a "hat-trick" if Campbell had not made a lucky save in the first five minutes, for he was responsible for his side's two goals –two good goals they were too, but apart from those efforts Campbell had an easy afternoon. Excuses will not help Everton's position, and to be quite frank one must say that they were outplayed and outclassed by a superior team.

Leicester at full strength will not forfeit many points, for there is unanimity of purpose in their football, and even admitting that matters went their way at times there was no semblance of luck about their victory. There was a dispute about one of Hine's goals –he scored two, Wadsworth two Lochhead and Chandler one each. Everton ceased play on the score that Lochhead was offside. He was but as he was not interfering with play the referee signalled "play on" and Hine seizing the opening dashed ahead to score easily. It was a serious blunder. Player should play to the whistle. H. Wadsworth was in his best form. He danced his way past the opposition and scored two goals, and this in face of the fact that Cresswell was his opponent. Cresswell, however, was not to blame. Of the forwards, however, Adcock was the best. His speed, ball control, and centring being of high class, and four of the goals came from his work. As a half-back line, Duncan, Bishop, and Carrigan can have few superiors, Carrigan shadowing Dean successfully. Black and Osborne were solid and effective. Teams: - Leicester City: - Campbell, goal, Black and Osborne, backs, Duncan, Carrigan, and Bishop, half-backs, Adcock, Hine, Chandler, Lochhead, and Wadsworth, forwards. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Cresswell and McDonald, backs, Brown Griffiths, and Reid (captain), half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards .

February 7 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. After forty minutes Oldham lost the services of goalkeeper Styles through injury, and a full back went into goal. Everton had done most of the attacking, but after this they practically monopolished it, but poor finishing and faulty combination –even allowing for the wretched conditions –delayed the goal till five minutes from the end when Moffatt after juggling with the ball and foiling the opposition centred from the goal line for Paterson to deftly head his first goal for Everton. The scorer making his debut showed good promise for his ball control and positional play was good, but Saturday's condition were much against good football. A feature was the fine defensive work of Crompton, the Athletic back.

Sheffield Independent - Tuesday 08 February 1927
Atrocious conditions were all against good football at Hillsborough, yesterday where Everton Reserves opposed Wednesday Reserves in the Central League.   Rain fell heavily throughout the game and the ground resembled a quagmire, yet, in spite of this the players gave a good exhibition.  The home team well deserved their victory, and Kirkwood was a good schemer at inside forward.  The first half exchanged were fairly even, and Anstiss gave the Wednesday a goal lead at half-time.   After the interval, however, Wednesday were attacking almost continuously and Brown added to the Wednesday's advantage.  The shot should have been saved, for the ball slipped from the hands of the visiting goalkeeper, Kendall.  Anstiss then added two more goals in quick succession, although the second one was a gift, for the Wednesday forwards had but to touch the ball into an empty net.  Before the finish, prince completed the visitor's rout by adding a fifth goal with a long cross-drive from the left wing.  besides Kirkwood, Brown played well, while Powell (W.) put in some powerful shots, one of which, in the second half was unfortunate, for it struck the woodwork with terrific force.  The Everton full backs, Hamilton and Raitt, defended well under the trying conditions. 

February 8 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
By "Bees."
When Martin scored for Hull City in the replayed Cup-tie which they won at Aston Villa's ground yesterday by 3-2 in extra time he took the wind out of the ball and the wind out of Everton's sails, for he had burst the ball. This would be done probably through the manner in which his boot caught the ball –possibly a stud burst it. The rules on the point say that the ball is "dead" when it is burst, but it was not until the ball was taken from the back of the net that it was found to be burst. The game was an historic one in many ways for rarely had the 16,000 spectators (receipts £1,600) seen keen striving and such a strangely differing style of forward work. Hull for half an hour of the second half were kept on the defence, and were actually confined to their own half for that period without relief. Yet Hull took the lead in seven minutes through Guyan, the Hull centre taking up a grit pass offered by O'Donnell, who had not trapped the ball as it came to him, and although Dean equalised at the half-hour with a brilliant lob over the advancing goalkeeper's head, Hull regained the lead through Whitworth damaging Davies, the debuty goalkeeper, in his effort at easy distance.

The second half was one continual struggle against the Hull backs, because Maddison, for once in a while was not actually tested to the full. Not until twenty seconds from time –yide the referee, Mr. Musther of London, who did his work capably –did Everton make their attack pay, and then Dominy headed a corner kick, taken by Millington, right out of reach. Thus for the second time in this, the third meeting of the side the game was all square again, and it was necessary that extra time should be played. It appeared rational to expect Everton to win because they had regained confidence, and seemed to be playing well above their rivals, whose forwards, it must be admitted, lacked Whitworth, save as a deputy outside right owing to a nose injury, he sustained. Yet when O'Donnell decided to head a ball for a corner rather then leave the ball to his goalkeeper the corner proved fatal, and Martin scored the goal that gave Hull the right to play against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molyneux Grounds on the 19 th inst.

One of the sad things about the game was the fact that Davies, the goalkeeper, was badly hurt, and therefore, will not be ready for the game with Liverpool on Saturday at Anfield, and as Hardy is hurt and Kendall has the flu, the position of the club becomes exasperating. Add the inclusion of Dean in the English side and the Everton position for the local Derby becomes very awkward. It is correct to say that these five and a half hours of football have provided three stern and clean contests, in which the refereeing has been of a good order, inspite of the penalty incident at Goodison Park. It is moreover worthy of chronicling that Hull hardly made any attacks yesterday at Villa Park, yet when they moved off they were at once a danger, and their first two goals could be described as the outcome of a change of forward front, the Hull men breaking away. To this must be added the news of Hull City putting the ball against the upright, and two cases where Maddison was well beaten when the ball was stopped by the woodwork. Dominy often veered to his old position at inside right, and once from the position he sent in a swerving ball that crashed against the crossbar. Oh, yes, Everton had plenty of bad fortune in this game, but they shook their victors to the hand when they left the field, and voted them a sporting side with good backs and good ideas. But they doubtless regretted a Dominy miss among other things early in the game when the backs were suffering an eclipse, through the speed of Millington, who was the third outside right tried by Everton in this "series" of games.


Taking the game from a personnel point of view, one must at once vote Troup the most dangerous forward on view, with Dean working in solo fashion in his own hard manner, and his goal a perfect one of wisdom and forethought. On the right Millington started well indeed, but he was not well served afterwards, Irvine again falling a victim to the over-dribble that is crowded out by men such as Hull field at full back –McGee and Bell. The Everton half-backs played so superbly that they helped to give their full backs a quieter time than usual. Hart was a joy –the greatest half back on view, especially when he was passing to his forwards and he was not slow to move among his forwards when the position had become desperate. Virr and Rooney played calculating football, and shared the honours and though O'Donnell made the first slip of the day he did many good things to balance it. Kerr being able partner. Davies was not unduly tested, any more than was Maddison.

It was simply a case of the Second Division team holding on to what they had. They took the lead three times during the course of the game, and well as their half-backs played –they fought on until they nearer dropped through exhaustion –the side's victory was attributable to Martin, one of their best men in each of the three games. He is a canny Scot, and he is in a line that is no sooner attacking than it has a shot at goal and the shot is well directed. Naturally the line could not be expected to do much in the later stages owing to Whitworth's injury, but at least they impressed by their incessant and sparkling effort when they did break out, for it must be forgotten that they had a gruelling experience at Middlesbrough at the weekend, when after being three goals down they proceeded to make a draw. The referee congratulated both sides upon their display, and the spectators would doubtless have seconded the motion of praise. All the players deserved it. Now Everton can concentrate upon the main issue of the season –namely, the League position. It is said that some new faces will be seen in the forward ranks ere long –probably this week. Teams : - Everton: - Davies goals, O'Donnell, and Kerr, backs, Rooney, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Millington Irvine Dean, Dominy and Troup, forwards. Hull City: - Maddison, goal, McGee and Bell, backs, Swan, Dixon and Sullivan half-backs, Martin, Scott, Guyan, Whitworth, and Taylor forwards.

February 9 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
No details

February 11 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
There was a record rush of important association football transfer yesterday; J. Kelly signed for Everton the right half back from Ary United. It is curious that both Everton and Huddersfield Town should sign a player having the name of Kelly on the same day, and to complete the sequence Kelly is regarded as a very fine half-back, and he is expected to strengthen the playing staff at the club. He is twenty-five years of age, stands 5ft 10ins and weights 11 st 7lbs. The club hopes to secure other players today, who with Kelly may be included in the team to meet Liverpool.

February 12 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Following the signing of Kelly, the Scottish half-back, Everton yesterday completed negotiations for the transfer of Taylor, Huddersfield Town goalkeeper and he will appear for his new club at Anfield today. Taylor is a Liverpool man, having had his early football training with Balmoral. Everton were hard hit for a goalkeeper, owing to injuries to Davies and Hardy and Kendall has recently been suffering from influenza. Taylor's service, therefore, prove valuable to-day. Taylor has had a long experience of senior football, having played for Oldham and assisted Huddersfield through that club's championship years. But an injury last season compelled him to drop out for a time, and he is now fit again Mercer followed him in the Huddersfield goal and he in tern gave place to Turner. Taylor has been five years with Huddersfield. He played for England against Scotland 1923 1924, 1926, and against Wales in 1923 and against Ireland in 1923 and1923. He also kept goal for the football league against Scottish league in 1923 and 1924.

The clubs and players were never more determined to play their hardest, for both have their eye on the main chance and if Everton win it will be on their merits. Make no mistake about that. In these days of keen competition there is little room for sentiment in football, and it is a case of survival of the fittest. The day when the taunt of "going easy" could be levelled at a club is long since past and the game today will be fought out by both sides with the keenest determination to win, but one believes, in the best sporting spirit. In such circumstances as those, which prevail today, the enclosure at Anfield will be taxed to the utmost. Everton have won once only at Anfield since the war in 1923-24 –and on form it will be a surprise if they win today. Liverpool have been playing so well lately that they should win this game. In the absence of Dean, Irvine is to fill the centre forward perth, a position he has occupied on many occasions. The kick off is at 3.15, and the teams are: - Liverpool: - Scott, Lucas, Mackinlay, McNabb, Pratt, Bromilow, Edmed, Hogson, Reid, Chambers, Hopkins. Everton: - Taylor, Cresswell, O'Donnell, Kelly, Hart, Virr, Critchley, Dominy, Irvine, Kennedy, and Troup.

February 14 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Liverpool beat Everton by the only goal scored in the second local "Derby" game at Anfield on Saturday, and there are many who incline to the view that this will be the last of the "Derby" games played between the sides for at least another season. That Everton are in a precarious position is generally admitted and much will depend upon the future performances of the clubs in the danger zone. In a football sense Saturday's game was disappointing because the standard of play was much below that usually associated with recent local games and this was chiefly due to the state of the ground which prevented any thing like accurate football. The game was hard and keenly fought but lacking in the finer more dainty movements. To the credit of the players it must be said that all played with commendable heartness and spirit, but the conditions were against them and as a contest the game had few outstanding features. Liverpool were the stronger side –better balanced and more definite in their movements, yet Everton could almost claim equality in all except attack. The forwards were Everton's weakest link and it was this weakness that lost at least a share of the spoils. The ground was hard and frost-bound, and the light ball was always difficult to control. To turn quickly was a risky manocuve, while passing over and miskicking added in the players difficulties.

The first half was fairly even yet, Taylor had more to do in the Everton goal than had Scott at the other end. It was Taylor's skill saved Everton on at least two occasions when the Liverpool forwards made definite raids on the goal. He tipped over the bar a great shot by Reid and later saved splendidly from Edmed. Scott's greatest test came when Hart lobbed the ball into the Liverpool goal and its downfall was only prevented by a stroke of luck. Kennedy missed a great chance near the interval and the first half remained goalless. In the first minute of the second half Chambers scored the only goal of the game although Everton claimed that the ball was over the line when Scott patted down a header from Kennedy. It was a near thing, but Scott had a genuine slice of fortune when he shot out his foot and blocked a fine drive by Troup. Right through the game there was a dearth of good shooting and very few sparkling runs.

Taylor, who made his first appearance in the Everton goal gave a satisfactory display. He had not a great deal to do, but what he did was efficiently and skillfully effected. Both Cresswell and Kelly, also seen in Liverpool for the first time in the Everton colours, did much good work. The former is too well known to need any introduction, and it is sufficient to say that he did all that was expected of him on his polished and affective style. In Kelly Everton would seem to have acquired a half-back of the right type. Splendidly built (tall and slim) he played a capital game once he found his feet and plied the forwards with excellent passes. Of the half-backs, none was quite the equal to hart. He was effective in attack and defence. The Everton forwards could not complain that they did not get enough of the ball. It was the ineffectiveness of the inside forwards that made the attack so poor. In the second half Dominy and Irvine changed places without, however, revealing any noticeable improvement. Troup was the best of a poor line. On the Liverpool side Scott worked with his usual skill and coolness, and both Lucas and McKinlay played soundly. Bromilow was another splendid worker, and he played a big part in subduing the Everton right wing, while Pratt worked hard and well.

Chambers was the outstanding figure in the forwards. He sent out passes with fine judgement and was the most dangerous forward on the field. Edmed was little inferior. His centres were nicely timed and he made good use of openings that came his way. Reid tempered his dashes was discretion and was consequently a more effective leader, while Hopkins put in a number of useful raids. Attendance 52, 677 Receipts £3,199. Teams: - Liverpool: - Scott goal, Lucas and McKinlay, backs, McNabb, Pratt, and Bromilow, half-backs, Edmed, Hodgson, Reid, Chambers and Hopkins, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Dominy, Irvine, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr D. Caswell .

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 15 February 1927
Mr. W.R. Clayton, of Formby, ex-chairman of the Everton Football Club, was seriously hurt in a motor accident on Sunday night.  He was run down by a motor-cyclist and received injuries to the head.

February 17 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Dean scored 2 goals for England against Wales at Wrexham in a 3-3 draw, before 16,000 spectators, Dean goals, both sweetly sure shots which neither Lewis of Arsenal, nor any other goalkeeper could save. Griffths, also played for Wales. Griffiths for a long time had been the tailer and better header, but I made Griffiths going best when he was attacking. His tackle is hard and definite, with little recovery if he is beaten, but his method of swinging the ball about to his wingmen is his forte, and it is a happy inspiration to Everton for the future.

February 14, 1927. The Daily Courier
Taylor, Cresswell, and Kelly Please in Anfield Derby Game
But Similar Chambers
Everton How to Make the Most of a Chance
Everton Down Again
Spoils Go to the Better Side on the Day
Liverpool 1, Everton 0
Win-less Everton went down again, it was a good and honourable win for their rivals and neighbours, Liverpool, but only just. Everton failed, but failed so heroically that they can be excused. They were over wrought by anxiety and the vision of the wilderness for which they seen bound, Liverpool deserved to win, because they were the better all round side. Everton's attack was spasmodic, at other times it was weak. True, both sides were at times a little "wild" but there were the thrills and tremor of a Cup-tie that set the pulses of 53,000 spectators tingling. In the British way there was much sympathy for the weaker side, and in the flurry and excitement glimpse of Everton's possibilities emerged. Can there be a sustained revival? Their supporters were asking Why Not? Everton had introduced new stars into the drama. A picture will remain of O'Donnell and Cresswell, the Sunderland international recruit, fighting every inch of the way with Ted Taylor, the newly introduced international goalkeeper, performing heroically. It is a tribute to the Everton defence that Chambers was the match winner with the only goal scored. With O'Donnell, it was a case of "any port in a storm" in his clearance, and he would do with more steadinesses. After O'Donnell had unceremoniously up-ended Reid in a way the referee and crowd rightly resented, O'Donnell found himself in the spot light and when he did the unorthodox in kicking out he received a community call.

Cool Cresswell.

Opposite, Cresswell's play was as cool as the weather. Here was a master of positional play, always where wanted without apparently much trouble to get there. Cresswell's head certainly saved his legs. Hart was the pick of the Everton halves. A promising right half seems to have been unearthed in Kelly, the Ary United recruit, who is going to improve on this display. He has good ball control and make use of the ball when he gets it. Virr was useful in counteracting the Edmed and Hodgson wing, but he had not the skill of Hunter Hart, who trapped, held and pushed the ball through to his forwards. Bobby Irvine was undoubtedly clever, but he had his old fault of over-elaboration, although it helped him to get through the Liverpool defences in his new berth as centre. His luck as a shooter was out, particularly when Lucas got in the way of a shot that was finding the billet. Pratt, the finest centre-half on the field, too, patrolled the Everton centre-forward closely, and prevented him playing as he has a way of doing. "Dixie" was missed. Then MacNabb loomed large like an elephant jumping among the chickens when he ran up against little Troup and Kennedy, who are on the small side.

Scott Takes a Risk.
Not much was seen of Troup, but Scott took a risk in kicking out from the dangerous second-half shot of his. On the other Everton wing, Dominy was a worker, not averse to lending the halves a hand, but he and Critchley, too often found themselves in the grip of the great Bromilow, who again took the eye. Liverpool have discovered a zealous bustling centre forward in Reid, who must be careful, as advised previously, not to overdo it when the goalkeeper is the objective. Liverpool would have had a second goal though Chambers in the last few minutes had not Reid bundled into the goalkeeper and infringed. Edmed was clever and had the speed, and Hodgson gave some nice touches to Reid. Chambers a schemer, and Hopkin were on and off, and it is a feather in Kelly's cap that he often effectively stopped their little game. The old form, Scott, Lucas, and McKinlay were up to the usual standard. Teams;- Liverpool: - Scott goal, Lucas and McKinlay, backs, McNabb, Pratt, and Bromilow, half-backs, Edmed, Hodgson, Reid, Chambers and Hopkins, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, C

Critchley, Dominy, Irvine, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Attendance 52,677. Receipts £3,199.

•  Arsenal; 1 (Brain), Leeds 0

•  Blackburn Rovers 2 (Harper (2), Leicester 1 (Lochhead)

•  Bolton 0, Aston Villa 2 (York (2)

•  Bury 3 (Robbie, Maggie (2); Birmingham 1 (Islip)

•  Derby County 4 (Bedford (3), Gill); Burnley 1 (Devine)

•  Huddersfield 4 (Kelly (3), Jackson); Wednesday 3 (Anstiss, Wilkinson (2)

•  Manchester United 1, (Hanson); Cardiff City 1 (Seymour)

•  Sunderland 2 (Halliday (2); West Ham 3 (Earle, Watson, Yews)

•  West Brom 5 (Davies (2), Carter (2), Short; Tottenham 0.

February 14 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
At Goodiosn Park. After an even opening the visitors pressed. Littler scoring after ten minutes' play. Everton gradually approved Houghton just missing equalising by inches. Both sides frequently attacked up to the interval but could not add to the score, the visitors leading by the odd goal. In the second half Everton attacked for some time, and Scott in the visiting goal made some clever saves. The visitors were frequently dangerous but their shooting was poor. In the closing stages Everton force matters, Houghton equalising.

February 17 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
T. White, the Southport forward, has been signed by Everton. He can play in any of the forward positions and did well in the F.A. Cup-tie against Liverpool, when he scored Southport's goal. A native of Southport he started football with Holy Trinity School eleven. He was selected a member of the Southport schoolboys team with whom he played centre half. He also played in the Lancashire Country eleven on several occasions. Soon after leaving school he became associated with the Southport club as a forward, and last season figured once or twice in the league team. He was with the reserves at the beginning of the present season, and when an outside left was required for the first team he was given a trial with excellent results. From the scoring point of view he has been a success and it was he who laid the foundation of the defeat of Blackburn Rovers in the F.A. Cup-tie at Southport, when he obtained the first goal. White is a capital shot with either foot, and in a Lancashire combination match for Southport Reserves scored five consecutive goals. He stands 5 feet 8 inches, and weights 11 stone.

February 18 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
The negotiations between Everton and the Airdrieonians for the transfer of McPhail have been terminated. The players didn't wish to make the change, and of course, that settled the proposed deal.

The supreme effort which is to be made by Everton to avoid regalation begins tomorrow when Blackburn Rovers visit Goodison Park. Mr. W.C. Cuff, the chairman of the club, intimated yesterday that no good purpose would be served by granting the reguest of the body of shareholders, who held a meeting last week, for an extraordinary general meeting. Mr. Cuff stated that the directors would give an account to the shareholders at the annual meeting. Meanwhile Mr. Cuff said the shareholders rely on the directors doing everything possible to improve the position of the club. They were all aware that the present situation was critical, but they were not without hope that they would gain a sufficient number of points from the remaining matches. The wholehearted efforts of players, directors, and shareholders Mr. Cuff added, were required. The present was not the time to indulge in dispension.

February 19 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Interest in the League struggle centres in Everton's game with Blackburn Rovers at Goodison Park. If Everton are to have the chance slender though it appears, to get out of the awkward predicament in which they are placed they must win this match. Despite the fact that the Rovers have struck a winning vein, the home side, strengthened by the inclusion of Cresswell, Taylor, and Kelly, is good enough to gain the points. Dean's return should remedy the weakness noticeable last week, for his ability as a master of craft and shooting power is undoubted. The Rovers contest every inch of the way, and the game may be expected to provide exciting and skilful football. The kick off is at 3.15 and the teams are: - Everton: - Taylor; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, and Virr; Critchley Irvine, Dean, Dominy, Troup. Blackburn Rovers: - Crawford; Roxburgh, Jones; Campbell, Healless, McIntyne; Walker, Holland, Harper, McKay, and Rigby.

February 21 st 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton sent their supports home from Goodison park, on Saturday in a happy state, for, although their success over Blackburn Rovers was only obtained by the margin of a single goal, it was sufficient to produce a feeling of mild optimism. The game had some excellent features. It was a hard, keen struggle, and if Everton realised that so much hung upon the issue they were never flurried, but played with a purpose and confidence that brought their due reward. It was not until the 56 th minute that Dominy scored the all-important goal, the first the ex-Southampton player has scored at goodison Park since he joined the club, and which gave Everton their first League win since January 1 st . In the first half Everton played with freshness and vigour, and made some capital attempts to score, but in spite of their cleverness they were disappointing in front of goal. Taylor had so little to do in this half that the game was thirty-nine minutes old before he handled the first shot. The second half was more even, and although the Rovers never played badly they were not convincing. With more deadness in front of goal Everton should have won by a much bigger margin. Dean failed to increase the score from a penalty kick given against hands during the second half, but it was a very slight offence, and when Crawford made a capital save justice was done.

The most thrilling incidents happened in the second half. Critchley once put a shot across the Blackburn goal, which Crawford stopped with his foot, and the ball cannoned against the upright. This narrow escape was balanced when Holland, after missing a great chance, sent the ball against the upright; whilst earlier on Irvine also struck the woodwork. These narrow escapes added fuel to a game that was splendidly fought and provided much bright football. Taylor gave another fine display in the Everton goal. He made one or two slips but recovered well and never jeopardised the position. O'Donnell has rarely played better and his association with Cresswell looks like turning out well. Cresswell was neat and effective and altogether the defence was very sound. Kelly justified the good opinion formed on his first appearance, and with Hart and Virr made a capital middle line. Curiously enough Dean was the weakest link in the Everton attack. He was certainly well covered by Healless, so much so that his dashing runs and useful passes were rarely in evidence. Critchley had a rather poor first half, but he improved considerably afterwards and made some excellent raids and centres. Troup and Dominy made a splendid wing. Everton's most fertile movements has often played better.

Blackburn had a sound defence and Healless worked well in the middle line, although the half backs had their limitations and hardly supported the forwards as they might have done. Harper was in much the same category as Dean. He got few opportunities thanks to the effective shadowing of Hart, while the attack as a whole lacked driving power and cohesion. Teams : - Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell, and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly Hart (captain), and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Crawford, goal, Roxburgh, and Jones backs, Campbell, Healless, and McIntyne, half-backs, Walter, Holland, Harper, McKay, and Rigby forwards. Referee Mr. H. Hopkins.

February 21 st 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton were unlucky to lose at Blackpool, a hotly disputed goal giving the seasiders both points. In a keenly contested game Everton were always more dangerous at close quarters, the home goal having innumerable lucky escapes. Millinghton and White were particularly conspicuous in the attack, which was well led by Patterson. Griffiths excelled at half back. Blinks opened Blackpool's score early on. Rooney equalised fourteen minutes after the interval. Everton held the upper hand afterwards but Butler eventually netted during a scrimmage following an alleged handing incident.

February 21 st 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
At Prescot. Meha scored for Everton after ten minutes, but Fletcher quickly equalised. W. Carr with a twenty yards shot, gained the lead for the visitors Murray (Everton) and Morris (Prescot) scored in the second half. Everton were hard pressed to prevent Prescot equalising. Hughes and his backs being fully extended.

February 26 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
It is a coincidence that the Liverpool clubs should oppose the leading teams on the same day. Everton face what is likely to prove one of the greatest tasks of the campaign when at Leeds-road, they oppose the champions. Thus the respective interests of the rivals are directed towards vastly different objects and each will be desperate in their efforts to succeed. On form this is one of those matches from which Everton cannot hope for relief, but football is full of surprises and Everton may crate a diversion. It is in their favour that the defence has been greatly strengthened, and if the forwards can impart a greater measure of finishing ability than has been apparent in the last two games then they may save a point. A number of the Huddersfield Town players have been suffering from influenzur and the team was not chosen until late yesterday. Smith (WH) is doubtful, and Jackson is playing for Scotland. Kelly is to play outside right with Raw as a partner. Everton have not been able to release Irvine. Teams. Everton: - Taylor; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Kelly, Hart, Virr; Critchely, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, Troup. Huddersfield Town: - Turner; Goodall, Wadsworth; N. Smith, Wilson Watson; Kelly, Raw, Devlin, Brown, WH Smith

February 28 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
While it is too early to become optimistic over Everton's chance of evading relegation, the result of their visit to Huddersfield suggests that they have more than an outside chance of escaping. They still have a stern struggle to face, but they can enter into the fray with a lighter heart and a more confident feeling that they have only got to play their part and all is well. Any side that can bring back a point from the champions' headquarters have every reason to plume themselves, and although the Everton club realise that they are not yet out of the wood they must have gained a belief in themselves which will spur them on in their matches to come.

The spectators at Huddersfield wondered how it is that such a team, playing such football as Everton did are languishing near the foot of the table. No goals were scored, but Dean is firm in his belief that he should have had a goal when he was adjudged offside. He got the ball after it had touched Wadsworth and so placed him in an onside position. That of course is a matter for the referee to decide, but even the best of us are liable to err. The referee penalised Dean for a perfectly legitimate charge on goalkeeper Turner when that player was in possession. As a matter of fact the whistle was too often heard. Huddersfield had the better of matters in the first half, and Taylor who was keen to do well on his old ground, made at least four saves, which, no doubt went a long way to making the draw a possibility. It must be admitted that the Everton forwards did no promise a goal during this period, even though they made some promising advances, but they found in Goodall and Wadsworth a sound pair of defenders. The great strength of Everton lay in their half and full backs. Kelly, Hart, and Virr have never played better. Huddersfield are noted for their wing play, but really Kelly and W.H. Smith have never been held in such a grip as that which Virr and Kelly applied, while Hart looked after Devlin, who was rarely a danger. Kelly's play particularly took the eye, Smith and Brown could not do anything with him, and even if they got the better of him at times, the cool Cresswell was there ready to take up the cudgels.

O'Donnell was the O'Donnell we saw against Cardiff City in the Cup-tie at Anfield and it is not belittling to any of the other full backs (three internationals defenders) if one says that O'Donnell was the best back on the field. With such a defence Everton should not be afraid to face any opposition, but there must be more shooting from the front rank. The shooting on Saturday left a lot to be desired. Dean was well watched, but he should have had a goal when Troup offered him a good chance. Still Dean did many clever things along with Critchley, while Irvine played well opening out the game in a manner which was quite foreign to him. Troup and Dominy, especially the former made some brilliant centres, and came near to beating Turner with a spinning ball, which the goalkeeper had to edge over the bar at the last minute.


Turner's best work was saved until the second half when Everton were the more dangerous side, and Wadsworth failed to maintain his earlier brilliance, but Goodall was always sound. Wilson at centre half, was the engineer of most of his side's advances, but N. Smith, who played his first league game did remarkably well. Devlin was disappointing at centre-forward. Hart holding him well, Brown was the best of the forwards and when he changed places with Devlin there was more danger in the line. One of the best shots of the match came from Raw, a reserve team player. It was a very hard encounter, and the bulk of the honours go to Everton. Teams: - Huddersfield Town: - Turner, goal, Goodall and Wadsworth, backs, N. Smith, Wilson, and Watson, half-backs, Kelly, Raw, Devlin, Brown, WH Smith, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy and Troup, forwards.

February 28 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton's practically new forward line created a distinctly good impression against Huddersfield, for the attack (With the exception of the first twenty minutes) was virile and the rear line was sound. Huddersfield lost through faulty finishing. The first goal came when Kerr, in endeavoring to head clear, deflected the ball past Kendall, and in the second half, good wing play by Millington led to Patterson and Beswick scoring for Everton. S.M. Beswick wearing Everton's colours for the first time gave a creditable display, and along with White and Patterson made a penetrative inside trio.

February 28, 1927. The Daily Courier
Irvine Prefers to Play for Everton
Everton will be at full strength against Huddersfield Town at Leeds—roads, where the Champions supporters will see one of their old favourites in Ted Taylor operating against the Town. The knowledge that Irvine prefers to play for his club in preference to his county will have a heartening effect on his colleagues, who in their last two League games have showed good football. Huddersfield like many other clubs, have a number of players down with the flu, but they are fielding one of their strongest sides which includes Bob Kelly. Jackson is on international duty, so Raw will play inside right and Kelly outside right. Watson returns after an injury, Smith is suffering from influenza and, if unfit, Slicer will appear at outside left. Teams; Huddersfield Town: - Turner, goal, Goodall and Wadsworth, backs, N. Smith, Wilson, and Watson, half-backs, Kelly, Raw, Devlin, Brown, WH Smith, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy and Troup, forwards.

February 28, 1927. The Daily Courier.
Enable Everton to Earn a Valuable Point.
Everton 0, Huddersfield, 0
No one pretend that Everton's troubles are over, but it is obvious the club is going to make a great sporting fight. The team have got their nerves back. It was a wonderful performance, under the circumstances to bring a point back from Huddersfield. There was not a blade of grass on Town's ground, and it was a hectic struggle. Everton's rally was the result of team spirit, which should help the club to climb. The revelation was the "come back" of the half back line following on the real consolidation of the defence. It is now up to the forward line, which contains the individual artistes to blend. The Everton halves were masterful, making early contact, and taking the initiative from Huddersfield's formidable forward line. It was a feverish game, too –a "blood match," in fact, between two stout defences –but Everton did not sacrifice the finer arts and played the prettier football, some of their moves being suggestive of the Scotch style. Hunter Hart was a great ball controller, hard to shake off, with a mastery over the Scots' centre forward Devlin. Kelly looks like a capture; not the perfectly polished half, but a grafter. Like Virr, who gave one of his best displays, he played the club game. In fact, there was the team spirit all round in Everton's rank. The forwards should have given of their best ahead of the half-back line, although the halves featured destructive play. One approaches the Everton forward line in two minds –one can praise and criticism. There was just the impression that the inside men did not make most of their opportunities, when Dean had so often to part, with three opponents on him. Irvine was the dancing master, a fascinating, elusive exponent, and it was all to the good he did not hold on so long on this occasion.

Critchley Pleases.

Critchley did brilliant things that took a fancy of the crowd, and then was variable. He must be prompter at times in crossing the ball. On the other wing Dominy, another fine team man, wanted just that little extra speed to make an effective partnership with Troup, whose ability we all know. As indicated, Everton's defence gives confidence. Cresswell, who works in little room, was seldom, if ever ruffed, and he was meeting in W.H. Smith –happily associated with Brown –one of the finest wingers in the country. Cresswell's coolness was also reflected on O'Donnell, who is settling down a sound, orthodox game. Ted Taylor, on renewing acquaintance with his old ground, was greeted with musical honours, and there was also a cheer for Dixie, who, it will be recalled, had his first try out in a reserve game on the Town ground after his motor-cycle accident. Taylor again gave of his best, particularly in those hot moments in the first half, when he picked up four times in succession, but both Taylor and Turner had comparatively few close-up shots, and they were unbeatable at long range. In a commendable desire to keep the game in hand, Referee Shuker used a great deal of whistle, ad Everton fell under the ban a great deal. Dean was once penalised for impeding the goalkeeper, and was pulled up rightly, it seemed from the stand, for offside, when he netted, although Dean was confident the ball went through off Wadsworth, who, by the way, was Huddersfield's stitest defenders. Teams;- Huddersfield Town: - Turner, goal, Goodall and Wadsworth, backs, N. Smith, Wilson, and Watson, half-backs, Kelly, Raw, Devlin, Brown, WH Smith, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Dominy and Troup, forwards.

•  Arsenal 6 Burnley 2 Brain (4) Hoar, Buchan for Arsenal and Hill and Devine for Burnley

•  Birmingham 1 Tottenham 0, Cringan

•  Blackburn Rovers 4 Leeds United 1, Harper (2), McKay (2); Leeds White

•  Bury 1, West Ham 2 Ball for Bury, Johnston and Yews for West Ham

•  Derby 2, Aston Villa 3; Whitehouse, Murphy for Derby, Stepheson Cook,

•  Liverpool 1, Newcastle United 2; Reid for Liverpool, Seymour (2)

•  Sheff Utd 3 Cardiff 1; Tunstall, Arthur, Mercer SU; Davies for Cardiff

•  West Brom 2 Wednesday 2; Carter, Short for WBA; Trotter for Wednesday





February 1927