Everton Independent Research Data


February 2, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 2, Wolverhampton Wanderers 1
Three penalties
By Stork.
Everton’s defence which had, previous to Saturday, played four war-time cup matches without having its goal penetrated, fell to a penalty goal scored by Mullen of Wolverhampton, in their tie at Goodison on Saturday. It was not sufficient to prevent an Everton victory for the Goodison Park team won 2-1. The whole of the three goals were scored from the penalty spot. This was a Cup-tie and one expects a little more bite in games of this character, but there were far too many unnecessary fouls in this meeting. In fact at one time the players appeared likely to get entirely out of hand. Strange as it may appear the penalty awards were mild affairs excepting the last, which came as the result of a trip, two previous ones from handling infringements. When he saw how things were going the referee should have taken a firmer stand. Four times did Everton put the ball into the net, but only twice were goals allowed to count. It was a hard fight for Everton who seemed to treat the opposition rather casually, whereas it needed determined efforts to check their forward advances, which were made by direct action. The defence in particular fell into fanciful ways when the real need was quick intervention and the straight forward clearance.
Scott’s Saves.
Everton should have had a goal early on, but Lawton was so surprised to find Stevenson’s shot so badly sliced that the ball came straight across to him that he was not quite ready for it. He got the right line, but not the necessary force behind his drive, and Scott, saved. Scott had also to save smartly from Owens, and O’Donnell of McCormick should have been more alive to Westcott’s move after he had cleverly kept the ball in play and offered them a centre which called out to be netted, but the move was not anticipated. Then came the first penalty goal. I did not see anything bad enough to warrant the decision, but understand that an Everton man had handled and Mullen scored the spot. The battle raged until 44 minutes before another goal was registered. H. Jones was going through when Springthorpe handled the ball and Cook, Everton’s penalty expert scored. Although Scott got his hand to the ball he could not keep it out of the net. Neither Westcott nor Lawton had many chances, but it was well that Greenhalgh as handy to kick the ball from off Westcott’s toes just as he was about to drive the ball home. Three times Mullen was through, only to miss from easy positions in astonishing fashion. Towards the end Everton got on top, but there was ever a danger when the Wolves forwards were on the move. Anderson, although limping enabled Lawton to knock the ball into the net, but someone had handled. At 70 minutes another penalty and Cook scored again. Just before the end the same full back almost scored against his own goalkeeper, the ball striking the crossbar. Everton; Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.) and Keen, half-backs; Owen, Jones (H.), Lawton, Stevenson, and Anderson, forwards. Wolves; Scott, goal; Dowen and Springfellow, backs; Thornhill, Ashton and Wright, half-backs; McCormick, O’Donnell, Westcott, Stephenson, and Mullen, forwards. Referee; Mr. W. Prescott, (Southport).

February 2, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The Goodison game was a bright contribution to wartime football, but in my opinion it was far too keen. No pre-war Blue-Wolves, match has produced more fouls or free kicks for rough play. The fact that Everton won through gave as much satisfaction to the 10,235 spectators, as the winning of the cup. This by the way, was the biggest attendance of the day. No one could have blamed Referee Mr. W. Prescott, of Southport, had he imposed the severest penalties, but I did like the quiet, yet strong manner in which he controlled a difficult game. Mr. Prescott impresses me more each time I see him. Everton well deserved this victory, although their forwards found it extremely difficult to break down a grand Wolves defence in which Liverpool-born goalkeeper. Alex Scott was such a dominant figure in the goal-area. I grant that there were always three men on Tommy Lawton, but who could blame the Wanderers for that? It Stulted the Everton attacking machine, and must danger threatened through the winners, Anderson and Owen. At half-back the Blues were much superior while admitting the promise of young Wright, the Wolves left half and Cook and Greenhalgh had more method and grace than the Wolves backs. There was not a lot of concerned work, but the tackling was so grim and relentless that it was difficult to link up. As a matter of fact the opening minutes brought the best from an artistic point of view and then Everton were a joy. A penalty against Sagar enabled Mullen to give the Wolves the lead in the first half, but Cook equalised from a penalty a minute from the interval, and a third penalty enabled Cook to win the game for the Blues with 20 minutes to go. And was Cook delighted when the ball crashed home? As a football thrill this game took a lot of beating but it might not have been so keen.

February 2, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Those who say that there is no keenness in present-day football should have been at Goodison for the Everton-Wolves game which held far too much of it, and produced more spleen than all the other games I have seen this season combined. And it dain’t all come from one side. It was almost fifth-fifty busyness, and things were done which were no credit to those concerned. At one period matters got so out of hand I was fearful of a serious injury. Vigour and honest robustness is all right this went far beyond that stage and produced so much bad-tempered play that Referee Prescott would have been justified in taking a sterner view than he did. Two naval officers who sat in front of me could be forgiven for the view that Soccer had adopted all-in wrestling rules. If there hadn’t been so prevalent a propensity to play the man instead of the ball, the game might have been almost a classic. Even assault was, it produced flashes of grand football, though on the whole the defences were so strong and relentless that the forwards were kept well in check. All three goals came from penalties and but for poor finishing both sides might have added further points. Everton’s defence was not as good as usual, it displayed an over-confidence which wasn’t warranted against a side so nippy and forceful in attack as Wolves were, and the ball was too often put back to Sagar in a manner which mutted disaster. The attack also was disappointing with Lawton barely getting a pass worthy of the name all through. This wasn’t a tame one wants to remainder, however and fortunately tempers will have had time to cool before the return takes place.

February 3, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Meresyside sportsmen will hear with regret of the passing of Mr. Louis Kelly, father of Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton F.C. Mr. Louis Kelly was well known as a sporting writer and regular attended matches at Goodison Park and Anfield up to four years ago, when he was taken ill. He was also well known as a baker and confectioner. Mr. Kelly was one of the first to keep systematic football records. He was an authority on football history in detail. Mr. Kelly was born in the Isle of Man 71 years ago, and was secretary of the Liverpool Manx Society for many years.

February 3, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
I deeply regret to announce the death of Mr. Louis T. Kelly, who died at his home in Newby Street, Liverpool yesterday aged 71. For well over 30 years Mr. Kelly complied the weekly “Studmarks” article in Saturday’s Echo, one of the most popular features in sporting journalism anywhere in the country. Crammed with exclusive notes on play and players with a rich vein of humour that reflected the author’s outlook on life. “studmarks” was copied and enlarged on by many others, but nobody could reproduce Louis Kelly’s inimitable style. Football was his life’s hobby. He had a unique system of recording results; teams and interesting items which enabled him to look up and disputed fact in the twicking of an eye no matter how many years back. So wrapped up in his hobby was he that for thirty years he kept his features going every week without a single break, and it was only with great difficulty that I persuaded him, some time ago, that advancing years demanded he should give himself a few weeks rest now and again. During the past few years, ever since his wife’s death, Mr. Kelly had been in failing health and his familiar figure had been absent from Goodison and Anfield. He was a grand character and we shall miss him greatly. He leaves two sons, the eldest, Theo, being secretary of Everton, and six daughters.

February 4, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Joe Mercer, Everton’s English international half-back, will, as I mentioned, returns to Everton’s team to oppose Burnley at Goodison Park on Saturday in the League War Cup, but Joe will figure at inside-right as partner to Alf Anderson. This move is made for an obvious reason. It is to keep Joe away from the thickest of the fray. His right hand is still in bandages, and secretary Mr. Theo Kelly thinks, and rightly so, that at inside forward there is not the same chance of the hand being knocked. So Stan Bentham continues at right half with Eric Keen at left half, and Joe will be able to exploit his natural attacking bent to his heart’s desire. There will be further changes as compared with last Saturday, for Tommy Lawton cannot get away and Tommy Jones will be at Newcastle helping the R.A.F against Scotland. Consequently Harry Jones a lad who has become imbued with the real Everton spirit and who fits in anywhere to help the club, reverts once more to centre half where he has given some smashing displays this season. George Jackson, another player, who will step into any position so long as he is doing his bit, comes back to centre-forward. The last time George went out as leader, he played there only 15 minutes before going to full back owing to an injury to Billy Cook. And the attack will be strengthened by the returns of Wally Boyes to outside-left. Wally could not get away for the Wolves game, but he is booked for this Saturday, so once again the Blues will have six internationals out, for Ted Sagar is again available. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jackson, Stevenson, Boyes.
Burnett for Wrexham
The Everton and Wrexham clubs have always been the best of friends and so it is no surprise to find Everton coming to the aid of the Welshman in the matter of a goalkeeper. Manager Mr. Tom Williams, of Wrexham has been worried over the position of goal for some weeks and when he found that Ted Sagar was available for Everton he asked Mr. Kelly could he help him out of the difficulty. Mr. Kelly responded by giving permission for one of the best young goalkeepers in the country, George Burnett to help Wrexham, Everton of course, have also loaned Lovatt, the goalkeeper from Shrewsbury to Tranmere Rovers, and he is playing splendidly for the Prenton club.

February 4, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For the home game against Burnley, on Saturday, Everton are trying the experiment of putting Mercer in the forward line, at inside right, with Bentham right half. This is not Mercer’s first forward appearance. He figured at outside right in one game last season, and later had a couple of outings in the inside position which suits him much better. If he finishes off those long weaving runs of his in appropriate manner, Everton will not lack for goals. Tommy Jones who anticipates a move nearer Merseyside very shortly is not available for this game, so that Harry Jones again takes over the centre half berth, Jackson resumes once more as centre forward and Boyes partners Stevenson on the left flank. When Burnley were at Goodison last season they upset the supporters by knocking the Blues out of the Lancashire Senior Cup, despite the latter having won the first game at Turf Moor. Their young and sprightly side was in grand form that day, and from what I hear they have been playing much better this season than their record indicates. While Everton’s cup qualification is not in doubt, they don’t want to throw chances away needlessly, and the defence will be well advised to regard Burnley a little less nonchalantly than they did Wolves last week. Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (H.), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jackson, Stevenson, and Boyes.

February 6, 1942. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
The fact that the Scotland and R.A.F match at Newcastle has been cancelled releases Tommy Jones, Everton’s Welsh international centre-half and I expect Tommy to come along to Goodison Park to line up against Burnley. If so, it is probable that Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly will move Harry Jones back to centre forward. If Tommy is not there, it will fall to the lot of George Jackson to lead the attack. The last time George played against Burnley, he was in goal. Burnley have secured five points out of 12 in the competition and bring a young team consisting of all their own players with the exception of Harry Holdcroft, the goalkeeper Everton brought from Darlington and transferred to Preston North End, and Jackson, a centre forward from Darwen, who is at home on leave. Marsden, Kippas, Kirkham, and Ward are all products of the Turf Moor “A” team, and were playing in pre-war football. Tommy Gardiner, of course is the Liverpool born player brought out by Liverpool, and who, with Grimsby Town, Lincoln City and Aston Villa developed into an England player and one of the longest throwers-in from the touch in the game. Burnley will provide stout opposition, but I expect Everton to win with something in hand. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Tom Jones, (or Harry Jones), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Harry Jones (or Jackson), Stevenson, Boyes. Burnley; Holdcroft; Ward, Kirkman; Marsden, Woodruffe, Robinson; Gardiner, Brocklebank, Jackson, Hirnby, Kippax.

February 7, 1942. The Evening Express
Anderson Opens Scoring
By Pilot
Tommy Jones, Everton’s Welsh international was available for the War Cup match with Burnley at Goodison Park today so Harry Jones led the attack, Burnley made three forward changes, Kippax taking over the leadership. Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Tom) and Keen, half-backs; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley:- Holdcroft, goal; Ward, and Kirkham, backs; Marsden, Woodruffs, and Lomax, half-backs; Gardiner, Brocklebank, Kippax, Robinson, and Bright, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. W. Mort (Kent). The two right wingers stole, the limelight at the outset. Anderson contributing some neat footcraft before Gardner cut in and shot outside. Tom Jones, in passing back to Sagar, placed well outside the goalkeeper’s reach, but the corner brought no grist to the Burnley mill. Play was on the scrappy side, with Burnley the more direct in their methods. Brocklebank frittered away a good chance and Harry Jones made one assault which brought a throw-in near the corner flag. This was the prelude to Everton taking the lead in 13 minutes, Boyes took the throw-in, received the return from Stevenson and centred to the far corner of the goal area for Anderson to head perfectly into the far corner. Burnley fought back strongly Kippax grazing the foot of the post. Then bright came in to pick up a loose ball and drive over. Mercer delighted the 6,000 spectators with the neat manner in which he surprised Woodruff and burst through on his own, but Kirkham came across with the winning tackle at the last moment. Gardiner was the danger man to Everton and now he ran in and delivered a fierce shot which went inches over. Mercer ran through to gain another corner off Woodruff, and Stevenson, Anderson, and Harry Jones tried hard to get through before Holdcroft took charge of Stevenson’s header to dispel the danger. In 23 minutes Everton increased their lead through Harry Jones, but main honours went to Boyes, who, receiving just inside the Burnley half, outwitted Marsden and Wood brilliantly before placing across the perfect centre which Jones headed into the roof of the net in a flash.
Three Up
Everton’s third goal was not delayed and this time Boyes himself was the scorer. The goal came in 28 minutes when Anderson adroitly back-heeled the ball for Mercer to make ground and place low across field. Stevenson and Harry Jones allowed the ball to pass behind them to enables Boyes to come in at top speed and score with a brilliant shot just inside the far post. Burnley almost reduced the lead when Kippax broke through and shot almost from the goalline. Sagar could only deflect the ball bang in front of his own goal, but Greenhalgh intervened just as Brocklebank came in to take the chance.

February 7, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Burnley Press The Play
By Rangers.
Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Tom) and Keen, half-backs; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley:- Holdcroft, goal; Ward, and Kirkham, backs; Marsden, Woodruffs, and Lomax, half-backs; Gardiner, Brocklebank, Kippax, Robinson, and Bright, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. W. Mort (Kent). Everton took the initiative through good work by Anderson and Mercer, but when Mercer gave Jones (H.) a possible chance, the centre forward’s finishing touch was both weak and badly directed. Burnley made ground through Gardiner’s long runs, one of which he finished off with a hefty drive which was close enough to be uncomfortable. A long pass back by Tom Jones was cut of Sagar’s reach, and went for a corner which proved of no avail to Burnley. It was a good job for Everton that Greenhalgh was in the way to block a short-range shot by Kippax which had plenty of power behind it. Burnley were doing as much attacking as Everton at this stage, the tall Brocklebank being prominent with a couple of good efforts. Everton took the lead after twelve minutes, when Boyes, taking an unhurried centre, placed the ball so neatly that Anderson had no difficulty in heading past Holdcroft. Burnley were soon back in the Everton half, but when a pass-back by Cook, which went adrift, presented Bright with a grand opening, he shot hurriedly and high over the bar. A grand run by Mercer half the length of the field looked a goal all over until Woodruff dashed across to kick away as Mercer’s was about to shoot. Greenhalgh was finding Gardiner a warm handiful, and the Burnley winger at this stage produced the nicest bit of forward play so far seen, which he rounded off with a fierce drive from eight yards out, which almost grazed the cross-bar. An accurately-placed clearance by Tommy Jones gave Mercer an opportunity for another sparkling run down the centre, but once again he was denied a goal. In a scramble in the Burnley goalmouth both Harry Jones and Stevenson went close before a handling offence by the former relieved the pressure. Everton at this stage was taking more command of the game, and at the 27 minute Boyes put across another copybook centre, which Harry Jones finished off in appropriate fashion to put Everton 2 up. Three minutes later Blues went further up Boyes being the scorer himself this time, so that he had a big share in all the goals. Mercer, provided the opening, but his square pass ran behind two Everton forwards and looked as though it was running harmlessly out until Boyes dashed up at top speed and put in an absolutely unstoppable shot. Burnley had hard lines not to reduce the deficit when Sagar was out of position and Greenhalgh kicked away off the goal line.

February 9, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 3, Burnley 2
Second Half Rally
After being three goals down half way through their game against Everton at Goodison Park, Burnley fought back in such grand style in the last half hour that they almost made a draw. Everton, however, gained the day by 3-2. With the commanding lead Everton started the second half by indulging in pretty but ineffective footwork. It looked nice, and for ten minutes or so had Burnley so bewildered that they hardly knew where they were. Then the visitors began to realise that this was getting the opposition nowhere and that they still had a fighting chance. They took it by direct and forceful methods, and when the position became perilous Everton helped them further by concentrating too much on defence and leaving only two forwards up the field. Gardiner got Burnley’s first goal after 15 minutes in the second half. Kippax got a second with ten minutes to go, and it would have been no more than Burnley’s galliant rally merited had they got another. Everton’s three first half goals were all the result of sterling work by Boyes. The first two headers by Anderson and Harry Jones came from centres so accurately place that conversion was easy, while Boyes himself got the third after Mercer had done the spacework. Strangely enough, while Boyes was Everton’s first half hero, he missed two easy chances in the second half.
Sporting Spirit.
It was a good game, not overcrowded with incident until the closing stages, but played throughout at a rattling pace and in a fine sporting spirit. Greenhalgh had a warm handful on Burnley’s right, where Gardiner was brilliant and Brocklebank a constant danger. With Tommy Jones below form the Everton goal was threatened more often than it has been of late. Mercer put in some good work in the forward line without getting a goal for his trouble. Twice he looked a certain scorer after ran nearly half the length of the field, but each time he was baulked at the last minute. Later he changed places with Bentham. Burnley’s defence was not too sound under pressure and the forward line was a trifle lopsided, but their approach work was excellent and it was fortunate for Everton that the finishing did not reach the same standard. Bright, Kippax, and Brocklebank, ,missed easy openings, and it was left to Gardner to provide the bulk of the shots. Attendance 5,286. Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Tom) and Keen, half-backs; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley:- Holdcroft, goal; Ward, and Kirkham, backs; Marsden, Woodruffs, and Lomax, half-backs; Gardiner, Brocklebank, Kippax, Robinson, and Bright, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. W. Mort (Kent).
• Liverpool lost 6-2 at Blackpool, Done (2), and Jones, Dix (2), and Dodds (3) for Blackpool.

February 9, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Wally Boyes, Everton’s English international outside-left turned out against Burnley at Goodison Park and gave a scintillating display in the Blues’ fourth cup win. Boyes “made” the first two goals –headed home by Anderson and Harry Jones –and then scored a smashing third to put the Blues three up at half-time. Early in the second half Boyes drove outside with only Holdcroft to beat and then he dribbled right down the centre, and in trying to deceive the advancing Holdcroft did a “Tishy act” with his legs and the ball rolled wide. Those two misses so encouraged Burnley that they took up the cudgets and made a grand fight of it. In the last half-an-hour they got goals through Gardiner and Kippax. Gardiner is one of our local boys who has made good and the crowd of 5,269 rose to him for persistence and skill. Allowing for the brilliance of Boyes, I doubt whether he was more effective than Gardiner, the man who led the Burnley recovery delightfully encouraged by the 18-year-old Great Harwood boy, Marsden. Take it from me this Burnley side is good although they were made to look indifferent while Everton shone so much in the first half. Woodruff was a grand centre-half giving a display which explained why Burnley refused £4,000 for him just before the war, and I liked the promise of Bright and the leadership of Kippax. In covering ability, however, Burnley were lacking, and Everton were quick to seize their chances. Everton were worthy winners, but in the second half Sagar was the busier goalkeeper and Cook and Greenhalgh were ever on the alert, for Tommy Jones was quite so dominating at usual in the centre. The Blues became upset somewhat late on and made many team shuffles, including Joe Mercer’s reversion to right half, Anderson going outside-left and what not. While allowing for some fine back play I think Eric Keen was the main prop in Everton’s good defence. He had a truly great afternoon and Anderson again did well. Still were Everton rather intoxicated by those first-half goals? I think so. They made their second half task, a hard one in a grand game which satisfied all, including our good Burnley friends, who came along under Chairman Mr. Tom Clegg, complete with snuff box. Jasper Kerr, the former Everton back, was there –he coaches Burnley’s youngsters these days –and Louis Page, coach to Charlton, rolled along to see his former clubmates of Turf Moor.

February 9, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s win over Burnley takes the Blues to leading place, with a game in hand over the nearest challengers. Burnley are the first team to score twice against Everton this Cup competition. With more steadiness in front of goal they might have had more, and a draw would have been no more than their stirring second half rally deserved. As it was they gave Everton a rare fright by reducing the three-goal interval lead to a single point. Everton had only themselves to blame. They thought the game was so sure they could afford to play pretty stuff and take chances. Then Burnley realising they still had a fighting chance took it in a manner in direct contrast to Everton’s circumstances ways, swinging the ball about freely and making progress by the most direct route. After Gardiner had scored there was only one side in it, and when Kippax added another Everton were so hard pressed they were glad to concentrate solely on defence. Boyes hero of the first half missed two absolute sitters afterwards, and Everton’s attack went to pieces. Boyes provided “picture” centres for Anderson and Harry Jones to head the first two goals, and got the third himself after Mercer had made all the running. Greenhalgh had a tough afternoon against Burnley’s brilliant right wing, which Gardiner was outstanding, and with Tommy Jones below normal and everyone else badly bitten with the “pass-back” bug, the Everton defence was not as sound as usual. Mercer was a go-ahead forward and I would like to see him preserved with in the attack.

February 11, 1942. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Lawton the England centre-forward, will, in all probability return to Everton’s team to visit Burnley on Saturday in the League War Cup. Lawton will consequently be playing against the club which developed him and placed him on the high road to the game’s biggest honours. Lawton was picked up by Burnley when he left school at Bolton and at the age of 15 made his debut in the Second Division. He was signed as a professional at 17, and soon after was transferred to Everton for a fee of £7,500 –a record for a player of his age. The investment proved a good one for Everton and also for Lawton. Tommy has made only occasional appearances for the Blues this season, and at other times has been playing for his country and Aldershot, while he had one game with Millwall. Last season Lawton scored the goal by which Aldershot beat Arsenal. Secretary Theo Kelly of Everton, has received word that Lawton is making every effort to play at Turf Moor, so that Burnley folk will have a rare treat.
Mercer Again Forward.
The Blues team will include no fewer than eight internationals if Lawton arrives. They represented England, Ireland, and Wales. Should Lawton not be present, Harry Jones, of West Bromwich Albion will once again lead the attack, and Everton have decided that once more Joe Mercer the England half back, shall be at inside-right as partner to Anderson, the only Scot in the side. Mercer played at inside-right against Burnley at Goodison Park last Saturday, but finished up at right half-back because of a general re-shuffle of the attack. He did some neat work in the opening half too. Wally Boyes the England winger and prime attacker in last Saturday’s game, will once again be at outside-left. Boyes by the way, is one of three Merseyside player chosen to represent the Army Northern Command team at Leeds on Saturday week. His colleagues are Jack Balmer and Jim Anderson, Mercer, Lawton, (or Harry Jones), Stevenson, Boyes.

February 11, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Powerful Pill For Burnley
Ranger’s Notes
Provided Lawton is able to play Everton hope to turn out nine of their pre-war championship side for the return Cup game against Burnley at Turf Moor, on Saturday. There is a doubt about Lawton’s availability in his absence Harry Jones will fill the berth. Boyes is once more in the side, and if he reproduces his brilliant first-half display of last Saturday Burnley’s defence is going to have a sticky time. Well say nothing about Walter’s two shocking misses later on. I don’t think he’ll forget them himself in a hurry. Once again Mercer figures at inside right, which means another roving commission and the role of second centre forward. Mercer reminded me of Eric Brook in the way be popped up all over the place and if preserved with in the attack, I think he would turn up just as good a match-winner as the old Manchester City player. Everton’s defensive plan for a long time past has included Sagar as a vital link in the passing back chain, but latterly I’m inclined to think this move has become too stereotyped. Lively attacks like those of Wolves and Burnley are quick to nip in after the half-chance if something presents and the Blues goal has had some lucky escapes recently through graduating offerings to opposing forwards. Burnley plainly showed at Goodison that Everton will not be able to take unwarranted liberties if they are to win at Turf Moor. Team:- Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (T.G.), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (H.), or Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.


Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 12 February 1942

Mr. Andrew Coffey, prominent Merseyside sportsman and former chairman of Everton F.C of Warren-drive, New Brighton, recently living at Southport, died suddenly today at his office in Victoria-street, Liverpool. In recent years Mr. Coffey had undergone several operations for eye trouble. For many years Mr. Coffey was in business as a, provision merchant in Liverpool. He would have completed 30 years' service Everton director in April. He was first elected chairman in 1920 and was succeeded after two years hy Mr. W. C. Cuff. Mr. Coffey again became chairman in 1940, succeeding Mr. ‘Ernest Green, but vacated the chair for Mr. W. C. Gibbins a year later owing to illhealth, Mr. Coffey leaves a widow and two sons and a daughter, all of whom are married.

February 13, 1942. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton go to Turf Moor to defend their unbeaten cup record against Burnley , and if they play as well as they did in the first half last week, they should not only come away with points, but retain their leadership of the qualifiers. At the moment the Blues lead Bristol City on goal average and they have a match in hand. Seeing that there is a chance of Tommy Lawton being there to lead the attack against his former colleagues I think Everton can negotiate the hurdle all right. Lawton was in the news on Wednesday with three goals for the Army team and he will be out to show his old friends that he has gone on improving since leaving Burnley for a £7,500 fee. Should Lawton not to be able to make the journey, Harry Jones will continue as leader of the side. Joe Mercer will have derived benefit from his run out last week following the hand injury, and should be an even more effective personally at inside-right. Provided Everton do not make the mistake of taking things too easily –they were guilty of that a week ago, once they had established a winning lead. –I think they can repeat last season’s success at Turf Moor. Team:- Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (T.G.), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (H.), or Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
Loss to Football
All lovers of football on Merseyside will join me in extending sympathy to the relatives of Mr. Andrew Coffey, the popular Everton director, who died suddenly yesterday. We shall all miss a grand sportsman. Never was there a more loyal Evertonian than Mr. Coffey, to whom we always referred as “Uncle Andrew.” He joined the board nearly 30 years ago, and had two periods as chairman, taking over at awkward periods and gilding the club through to smoother times. Up to a few years ago, he was a keen spotter of talent, and delighted in trips to the Scottish and Irish grounds, and there were few better judges of a young player. I recall well his returning from Scotland with his colleagues, Messrs Ernest Green, and the late Mr. Jack Sharp, and assuring me that they had found a real winner in Alex Stevenson, Everton’s present Irish international inside-left. Stevenson certainly confirmed the judgement of those directors. A fearless legislator who always spoke his mind in the true manner of the late Mr. John Mckenna, Mr. Coffey was a staunch and loyal friend, and he leaves a gap it will be hard to fill. In recent years Mr. Coffey was a prominent figure in the Everton Shareholders Association. He was closely connected with the Warren Club, New Brighton.

February 13, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s probable side for the visit to Burnley looks strong enough on paper to make sure of the “double” but Burnley played so well in the second portion of the Goodison game that the result is no forgone conclusion. Should Lawton lead the forwards, Everton will be that much stronger, and with Mercer alongside him the pair might make things hum. Defensively Everton need have no worry if they will ever get over the tenancy shown of late to make things easier for the opposition by too much embroidery in the penalty area. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (T.G), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (H.) or Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
Death Of Mr. A. Coffey
In the death of Mr. Andrew Coffey which took place yesterday with painful suddenness, Everton F.C have lost a grand servant. Apart from his eye operations Mr. Coffey had otherwise been in good health and was actually at work in his office when death due to heart failure took place. Though threatened at one time with blindness, he never lost his cheerfulness and good spirits, and the last time I saw him, just before Christmas he assured me he had never felt better in his life. His unfailing courage in face of many operations and setbacks was amazing. He will be greatly missed in Everton’s boardroom, in which for thirty years he had given the club valuable and unstinting service.


February 14, 1942. Lancashire Evening Post

Mr. Edgar Chadwick a noted football star died today at the age of 72. He was a member of a talented Blackburn family, several members of which rendered conspicuous service to the game. Mr. Chadwick first linked up with Blackburn Rovers after experience with a junior club and it is recorded that he left the club for the sake of a paltry half a crown a week increase in his wages. He joined Everton, and with Milward constituted one of the most famous wings in English football at that time. As an international inside left, he played at Goodison Park for some years and later had experience with Liverpool, Southampton, Burnley and Blackpool. He was a member of the F.A team which went to the Continent in 1901 and was later sent across the channel to act as coach by the F.A. He spent six years in Holland and had a spell in Germany the last war preventing him entering upon a four year contract with a German club.

February 16, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Burnley 1, Everton 0forward As Keeper.
By Stork.
Everton had some difficulty in compiling their team when they arrived at Turf Moor, as Stevenson, Sagar and Boyes had not put in an appearance fifteen minutes before the start. Within a few minutes of the kick-off, however, Boyes rushed into the dressing room, Jones the centre forward became the goalkeeper, with Boyes centre-forward and Watson on the left-wing. Naturally the Everton team did not function so smoothly as it usually does, and it was not until the last fifteen minutes that they gave Burnley great concern. Gardiner had scored for Burnley at 25 minutes, and this goal appeared good enough to carry the day, for there was little shooting from the Everton front line. They might have had a goal in the first five minutes, when Mercer swept the ball into the goalmouth, after he had coaxed out Holdcroft, but Owen could not get the ball under command quickly enough to deliver a shot. Everton’s play lacked finishing punch, and Burnley, playing a more open game, the result of Garner’s promptings, were the more dangerous side. Gardiner was the keynote of most of Burnley’s attack, so it was only poetic justice that he should score the all-important goal. He slipped a pass from Jackson, aside the Everton goalkeeper, who had made a desperate effort to save. Everton had a goal disallowed when Watson was adjudged offside. I did not think he was.
Watson Goes Into Goal.
Everton attack had been so frail this half, that there was a change in the second half, Watson went into goal, Boyes outside left, and Harry Jones centre forward, and this brought greater penetrative power, and the Burnley goal was often under fire, especially so in the final fifteen minutes. Boyes, Jones and Mercer missed chances. Holdcroft saved others, and I’am of the opinion that Everton should have had a penalty when Anderson was fouled as he was through to a goal. But try how they would, the Everton forwards could not land the ball into the net. Burnley were determined to hold on to what they had. Gardiner was still the starting point of Burnley’s thrust and he gave Jackson and Bright many fine opportunities. These two youngsters should have had goals. The latter cracked a smashing shot straight at Watson, who caught the ball in cricket fashion, and later dropped on a cross shot as it was going over the line. Watson undoubtedly performed his duty as goalkeeper with distinction. Bentham, T.G. Jones, and Keen had plenty of work to do, and I thought the centre-half was the main prop in Everton’s defence, for he closed down the middle to most attacks. It was not Everton’s day, and Burnley were delighted at their success, narrow though it was. Burnley:- Holdcroft, goal; Ward and Kirkham, backs; Robinson, Woodruff and Lomax, half-backs; Jackson, Gardiner, Pippax, Brocklebank, and Bright, forwards. Everton; Harry Jones, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.), and Keen, half-backs; Anderson, Mercer, Boyes, Owen, and Watson, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Twist (Westhoughton).
• Liverpool lost 3-1 against Blackpool, Done for Liverpool, and Dix, Jones and Dodds for Blackpool.

February 16, 1942. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
I suspected Everton were in trouble when, on my arrival at Anfield, I was greeted by Alex Stevenson. He had missed the motor coach. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly had to do some quick thinking and acting, for Ted Sagar failed to appear, and with Burnett on loan to Wrexham he had to play versatile Harry Jones in goal. Jackson having been loaned to Chester. Wally Boyes was moved to centre-forward, Owen went inside left, and Gordon Watson, who had not played for weeks, was pressed into service at outside-left. Yet the Blues held Burnley to Tommy Gardiner’s one goal in the first half, and late on changed the team around to bring Watson in goal and Harry Jones to the leadership, but they just could not save a point. It was Everton’s first defeat since losing at Anfield on Oct 25, and so ends a grand run.

February, 16, 1942.
The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton had team difficulties at Burnley, and eventually had to play with a forward in goal. Harry Jones and Watson taking the job in each half. During the first half the Everton attack did not have the necessary fire in the front of goal. Good in the outfield, it fell to pieces on approach to the Burnley goal. For one thing they were tempted into short passing which had little success against the study Burnley defence. They should have had a goal in the first five minutes, but did not because of the difficult ball. Owen could not get it under control quickly enough to seize the opening. Came the half-time, and another reorganisation of the Everton team. It was done obviously with the ideas of bring more punch into the attack. That was where the weakness been. Watson went into goal, Jones to centre forward and Boyes in his customary position and the change was all for the good. For the first time Everton really sounded the Burnley defence, and in the last quarter of an hour they promised not only to draw but pull off a victory.

February 18, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton include three newcomers in their attack to oppose Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park on Saturday in the League War Cup. The Blues will lack internationals Cook, Mercer, and Boyes, who are on representative match duty, but hopes are entertained that Tom Lawton will be able to lead the attack. The newcomers are Albert Williams, the outside-right, who joined the club some time ago from Randle (Runcorn), and who has scored in each of a dozen games with the “A” team; Norman Anderson, the Bradford City centre-forward, who scored three goals for the “A” team last Saturday and David, an inside-right from Bolton Wanderers. Anderson was the regular leader of the Valley Parade attack up to five weeks ago, and has proved a free scorer, while David has played for Bolton first team. David has been recommended to the Blues by Norman Greenhalgh. Alf Anderson will be at outside-left to Alex Stevenson, who returns after missing one match. Harry Jones after playing at centre-forward and goal, goes back to centre-half, for his namesake. Tom and George Jackson is recalled from Chester to play right back. Either Ted Sagar or George Burnett will be in goal. Everton (from); Sagar; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; A. Williams, David, Lawton, Anderson (N.), Stevenson, Anderson (A.).

February 18, 1942. The Liverpool Echo.
Ranger’s Notes
Everton are hard hit for their match with Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park on Saturday, for Cook and Mercer are engaged in the Services match at Blackpool. Tommy Jones is not available, and Sagar is uncertain. Jackson will deputise for Cook and Harry Jones returns to centre half but the greatest difficulty which faced Secretary Theo Kelly was the forward line, seven forwards have been elected, Tommy Lawton being one of them. Should he play it will make a lot of difference for the Everton attack has lacked a driving force in recent games. Should Lawton not manage it, Anderson, Bradford City’s centre forward will deputise. He played last week for the “A” team, and scored three goals. At inside right is a Bolton Wanderers named David, who had service in the Wanderers reserve side. Norman Greenhalgh, who knows him well, speaks highly of him. A. Williams who figures at outside-right, is a “A” player who came from Randles. He has had several games and scored in them all. Team from; Everton (from); Sagar; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; A. Williams, David, Lawton, Anderson (N.), Stevenson, Anderson (A.).

February 20, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are still concerned with the “championship of the qualifiers, for they are only a point behind the joint leaders, Bristol City, and Blackpool, and they should improve their position tomorrow as the result of the visit to Oldham Athletic. The Blues are one of the most consistent clubs in the country, and although they have rather an experimental side in the field, they are used to overcoming difficulties. David, ex-Bolton Wanderers, and Albert Williams, from Runcorn make their first appearance with the Blues, and George Jackson, returns after service with Chester. Tommy Lawton definitely will lead the attack. Everton should win. They big job will be to keep Ferrier and Worrall subdued. Burnett will stand by for goal in case Sagar cannot get away, which is hard lines on Wrexham, for whom Burnett has been playing on loan. Everton; Sagar, Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; A. Williams, David, Lawton, Stevenson, Anderson (A).

February 20, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Note
Everton’s Task
Everton will be a good bit below recent strength for the visit to Oldham. Cook, Mercer and Boyes are absentees through Service calls, but against that is the possibility that Lawton may be there to lead the attack. Oldham are another side whose final Cup qualification is not absolutely certain which means they will be all out for victory. Everton; Sagar (or Burnett); Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; A. Williams, David, Lawton, Anderson (N), Stevenson, Anderson (A).

February 21, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton; Sagar, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry), and Watson, half-backs; Williams (A.), David, Lawton, Stevenson and Anderson, forwards. Oldham Athletic; Hall, goal; Hilton and Shipman, backs; Williamson, Gray, and Hampson, half-backs; Kiddle, Worrall, Chapman, Keeting and Taylor, forwards. Referee; Mr. W. Riley (Stockport). Everton had to make one change, through the non-arrival of Keen, Watson deputised. Oldham were early into their stride, and within a minute actually netted the ball through Keeting, who was given offside, a verdict with which i did not agree. Oldham were very determined in their efforts, preferring the open game to help in their attack. The Everton goal had another narrow escape when Chapman pulled the ball a foot or so wide of the upright. Chapman broke down, the barrier which the Everton defence, had put up against the Oldham attack by scoring after fifteen minutes. He rushed in to connect up with a low centre from Taylor and he gave Sagar no chance. Chapman almost got a second goal when he made a brilliant header which just missed its mark. Anderson and Stevenson linked up to good effect, and when Stevenson put the ball across to Lawton everyone anticipated a goal, but England’s centre forward edged the ball round the upright. Oldham were persistent and rarely gave Everton opportunity of getting into the smooth working order which is their strong point. Sagar had greatly distinguished himself this half, and it was mainly because of his work in goal that Oldham were not more than a goal to the good at the interval.
Half-time; Oldham 1, Everton nil.
The Everton attack was still not working in unison, and Lawton get few chances, due to the watchfulness of Gray and his co-defenders. Final; Oldham Athletic 1, Everton nil.

February 23, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Oldham Athletic 1, Everton 0
Everton Beaten.
Everton were a disappointing side against Oldham at Boundary Park on Saturday, for their forward line, which included Lawton, could not strike their true and Oldham were full value for their 1-0 victory. Had it not been for Sagar Oldham’s triumph would have been much more convincing. He made excellent saves when the Oldham forwards were hammering their way through the Everton defence. The Athletic played the right type of game for the day, whereas Everton would persist in holding and trying to work the ball, methods which had little chance of succeeding. The open game was the apparent one, but they never changed their tactics. They should have seen how the open play of Oldham paid for itself and replied to it by similar methods. Keeting netted in the first few minutes, only to have the point disallowed for offside –a debatable decision. The Everton attack crossed the half-way line only on a few occasions in the first half-hour. Sagar parried many shots and centres at fifteen minutes, however, Chapman rushed up to connect with Taylor’s low centre and crack the ball to the back of the net. Lawton had one chance of equalising, but slipped the ball aside the upright. He did not get another such chance, for Gray and his co-defenders stopped any suggestion of combination by Everton. A few minutes after the resumption Everton did show some promise but Oldham were soon on top again and Chapman went close with three headers. There was no disputing Oldham’s superiority, for they took command from the start and never lost their grip of it. Towards the end the Everton forwards rained in shot, only to see then cannoned out. Chapman shot against the crossbar. I don’t think Hall had to handle more than four times throughout the game. Everton; Sagar, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry), and Watson, half-backs; Williams (A.), David (Bolton Reserves), Lawton, Stevenson and Anderson, forwards. Oldham Athletic; Hall, goal; Hilton and Shipman, backs; Williamson, Gray, and Hampson, half-backs; Kiddle, Worrall (Portsmouth), Chapman, Keeting and Taylor, forwards. Referee; Mr. W. Riley (Stockport).
• Liverpool beat Sheffield United 5-2. Done (2), Liddell (2, 1 penalty), Jones, and Birkett, Hampson for Sheffield club.

February 23, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton suffered their second successive defeat, for they lost by the only goal at Oldham on Saturday just as one goal brought about their downfall the previous week at Burnley. Still the Blues remain fifth on the table, and like Liverpool have ten points although the Reds have a game in hand. The Blues lost at Boundary because they missed chances. Some really gilt-edged openings were frittered away against a fast-moving alert side, which contrived to bring out all the best in the Everton defence. Chapman’s first half goal was sufficient to give Oldham’s the points.

February 23, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By stork.
Blackpool Booked For Goodison.
The Everton forwards had one of their poorest days at Oldham for throughout the 90 minutes goalkeeper Hall, of Oldham could not have more than four handling cases. As again that, Sagar probably playing his last game for Everton for some time, stood between Oldham and a glut of goals. He made some grand saves. It was a tactic as much as anything else which enabled Oldham to win the day. They played the right type of game for the day, whereas Everton played as though they were performing on a cricket pitch. It was all wrong, for it was obvious the ball needed punch. Everton tried to work it in close control. The result was that the Oldham defenders had it their own way. The Latics cut out the frills and went straight for their objective by the long route, and although they scored only one goal, with one disallowed, they marked up many near misses with Sagar foiling them on other occasions.

February 25, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Five internationals return to Everton’s team to face Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park on Saturday, in what is the Blues’ final home game in the War Cup Qualifying Competition. They are Mercer, Keen and Boyes, (England), Cook (Ireland), and Tom Jones (Wales). This means that there will be, in all, seven internationals in a side carrying no fewer than eight of the Blues pre-war championship team. This is a grand parade of stars as befitting Ted Sagar’s last game with his club this season. Ted is leaving the district and will not be playing here again for sometime. He is certain of a fine send-off from the Goodison battues. Cook, Tom Jones and Keen return to the defensive ranks for Jackson, harry Jones and Watson and Mercer, Harry Jones, and Boyes come into the attack for Williams, David, and Lawton. Everton are certain of qualifying for the cup competition proper, but they have lost ground consequent on successive one-nil defeats at Burnley and Oldham, and will need these points if they are to remain in the running for the championship of 1941-42 League No 11. Do not forget that this league carries on to the end of the season and that there is a trophy at stake. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Boyes.

February 25, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton will have a strong side out for the return game with Oldham at Goodison Park on Saturday, though Lawton is an absentee. Sagar is in goal, but this is likely to be his last game for a long time, as he is due for a move which put him “out of court” so far as football is concerned. He takes our best wishes with him. With the old firm of Cook, and Greenhalgh at back, and Tommy Jones in the middle, the defence causes no anxiety while on paper at any rate the attack looks good enough to get the better of Oldham. Mercer carries on at inside right and may break his “duck” in the scoring line from this position, at the third attempts. His near misses have been many. As Lawton is not available Harry Jones takes over again as leader and Boyes partners Stevenson. Team – Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (T.G.), Keen; Anderson, Mercer, Jones (H.), Stevenson, Boyes.

February 27, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will field a team of pre-war vintage at Goodison Park against Oldham Athletic who will be seeking a “double” having beaten Everton 1-0 at Boundary Park last Saturday. The Blues have on parade seven of their 1939 First Division championship side blended with their three “guest” players –Eric Keen, Alf Anderson, and Harry Jones. It means that there will be six internationals on duty representing England, Ireland, and Wales, and so, whatever the result we are assured of seeing football of the highest grade. Everton were leading the qualifiers three weeks ago, but since they have lost at Burnley and Oldham –the only goal in each case –and while they are fourth they must win tomorrow if they are to have a chance of coming out on top. Besides all these games count in the League championship No 2, which will carry on to the end of the season on June 6, which reminds me that the F.A. sanction for the season’s extension will be announced in a couple of days. Outstanding personally in Oldham’s team will be Warrington-born Freddle Worrall, Portsmouth’s international forward and one of the heros of the last Wembley F.A. Cup Final. Fred is proving the life and soul of the Latics party these days. I think Everton, with Joe Mercer again appearing at inside-right and Red Sagar, who makes his last appears of the season, will win. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; A. Williams, Mercer, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Anderson. Oldham Athletic; Swindon; Hilton, Shipman; Williamson, Gray, Hampson, Kiddle, Worrall, Chapman, Keating, Taylor.

February 27, 1942. The Liverpool echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton field a strong side, for Oldham’s visit, including providing all turn out –six internationals and seven of the pre-war championship team. That array of talent looks good enough to put paid to any lingering hopes Oldham may have had of gathering even an odd point. Everton’s cup participation has never been in doubt and will not be whatever happens in the next two matches, but Oldham could do with a couple more points to make certain, hence they will be sure to pull out their best. This is likely to be Ted Sagar’s last game for Everton for a long time. He will get a rousing send-off from his many admirers with Cook, mercer, and Jones (T.G.) also back in the side. Everton are almost impregnable in defence. It is in attack that more punch is needed. They have failed to score in four of their eight Cup games which shows how much is owed to the defence. Team; Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (TG), Keen; A. Williams, Mercer, Jones (H), Stevenson and Anderson.

February 28, 1942. The Evening Express
Mercer scores A Couple
By Pilot.
Tommy Jones, Everton’s international centre-half, reported unfit just before the War Cup-tie with Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park, today and Harry Jones took his place George Jackson once again being called on to lead the attack. Everton; Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry) (West Brom) and Keen (Derby), half-backs; A. Williams, Mercer, Jackson, Stevenson and Anderson (Third Lanark), forwards. Oldham Athletic; Hall, goal; Hilton and Shysman, backs; Williamson, Gray and Taylor (J.), half-backs; Worrall (Portsmouth), Hampson, Chapman, Keeting and Buckle, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. Duxbury (Preston). Jackson was early in action when he quickly seized a loose ball, but his shot was off the mark. Next anticipation enabled the Oldham defence to break up several promising Everton raids, before Mercer Williams to a nice opening, and when he repeated the effort Jackson’s header was wide. There was a thrill for the 5,000 spectators following Cook’s free kick for hands when Mercer headed against the bar, and from the rebound Williams tried to hook the ball in, but once again it hit the bar and dropped over. Hall fisted away from Williams, and then he safely gathered a quick centre from Anderson. Little had been seen of the Athletic as an attacking quantity, but now Buckley and Hampson worked out a nice opening for Chapman who, however, shot too hurriedly and straight at Sagar.
Sensational Save.
Everton sprang back to the attack and Hall made a sensational full length save off a grand effort by Anderson, and when Everton came again Hall again came to their rescue with a grand save at Mercer’s expense. Oldham shaped well when Buckley once again did the donkey work, and Chapman was unfortunate in just slipping as he shot so that Sagar was able to dive and save. Everton then came with two goals in one minute, in which Joe Mercer had a really hectic time. In the 15 minute Mercer surprised the Oldham defence by cutting to the goal line and neatly pushing the ball back for Stevenson to drive it into the far corner. Almost from the kick off Mercer was away again and he got to just inside the penalty area. Just as he was tackled he let go a right foot shot which hit the foot of the far post and rebounded into the net. Williams the Runcorn lad making his home debut, was proving an enterprising foil for the alert Mercer, while Anderson, on his favourite left wing, was having a really fine day.
Constructive Skill
Oldham could rarely match Everton for constructive skill, and even when they had gained chances they were so hesitant in their work that it played into the hands of the alert Blues defenders. The tackling became a little over vigorous. Everton were still the more commanding forces. Anderson and Mercer having shots charged down. Hilton lobbed the ball into the goalmouth and Sagar went full length to save. In 36 minutes Everton were three up with the best goal of the trio. Mercer and Jackson went through with perfect close passing, and eventually Mercer took over the final pass to go through and score at will. In 41 minutes Everton increased their lead. This time Jackson was the scorer, but Mercer had a hand in this also, for he gathered the ball cleverly and gave Jackson a clear run to goal. Jackson went on to draw Hall and glide the ball into the net off the foot of the post. Worrall was inches over from a free kick and then Anderson netted after good work by Williams, but the goal was disallowed for offside. Half-time; Everton 4, Oldham Athletic 0.
Everton were inclined to take things easy on resuming. After we had been given samples of Worrall’s wizardly, Sagar had to leap quickly to turn over a shot from Hampson and then a Worrall header came back off the bar. Worrall changed places with Chapman and the Athletic continued to do most of the attacking, without finishing well. Eventually Everton took command again and Mercer went through from Stevenson –his shot just grazing the post and going outside. Williams cut in on his own, but Hall came out to take the ball off his toes and when Anderson shot quickly with hall out of position, Gray managed to turn the ball out side.
Penalty Awarded
In eighty minutes Oldham were awarded a penalty for hands, but Chapman placed over from the spot. Worrall was doing three men’s work, and now he was to be found at outside left; but lacking in the best of support. Final –Everton 4, Oldham 0.

February 28, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Four Goals Against Oldham Athletic.
By Ranger.
Everton; Sagar, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Harry) (West Brom) and Keen (Derby), half-backs; A. Williams, Mercer, Jackson, Stevenson and Anderson (Third Lanark), forwards. Oldham Athletic; Hall, goal; Hilton and Shysman, backs; Williamson, Gray and Taylor (J.), half-backs; Worrall (Portsmouth), Hampson, Chapman, Keeting and Buckle, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. Duxbury (Preston). Stevenson shot wide when well placed, and then twice in five seconds, Everton hit the bar, per Jackson and Stevenson and Gray kicked off the line with his goalkeeper well beaten. Thus far it had been all Everton even Greenhalgh and Cook having had shots at goal. Oldham’s first attack came via Worrall and Chapman, and the centre forward should have done better than shoot straight at Sagar. The visitors came near scoring following good work by Worrall and Buckley, but Sagar just managed to fall on Chapman’s shot as it was creeping in. Everton were two up at the fifteenth minute, first being scored by Stevenson from a beautiful pass by Mercer, and the second, less than a minute later, being obtained by Mercer himself with a shot which cannoned in from the foot of the post. Everton had the bulk of play, and it was no surprise when mercer made it 3-nil. Some feeling had crept into the game by this, and fouls were becoming too frequent. With four minutes to go in this half Jackson added a fourth and Anderson got the ball into the net for what, in my opinion, should have been a fifth, but the referee disallowed the point for offside. Half-time; Everton 4, Oldham A. 0.
Oldham improved considerably in the second half and after early Everton assaults most of which were ruined through Williams’s propensity for lying in an offside position, the visitors kept the Everton defence on the collar. Sagar having to make grand saves from Keating and Worrall. In the closing stages Chapman missed a penalty for Oldham. Final; Everton 4, Oldham 0.






February 1942