Everton Independent Research Data


February 1, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Buckle The Only Doubtful Against Villa
Stork’s Notes
]at their meeting last night the Everton directors discussed the request by Tommy Jones, their Welsh international centre half back to be placed on the transfer list and agreed to let him go. This is Jones’s fourth request to Everton to be placed on the transfer list. No fee was mentioned and there are no conditions such as an exchange of players. It is to be a clean-cut transaction. Jones has not been happy about his position at Goodison Park for some time and their pairing of the ways seems to have come at last. He is still one of the classiest half-backs in present day football and is good enough for several more years in football. “T.G.” was one of the mainstays of the team last season and had a great deal to do with the club maintaining its senior status, along with colleague Ted Sagar, who has also lost his place in the side. Not only did Jones lose his place in the first eleven but he only played an occasional game with the Central League side, yet he was first choice for his country.
Always in Right Place
He is one of Everton’s long service members for he joined the Goodison Park staff in 1936 from Wrexham, where it was soon seen that he was something out of the ordinary, Jones is essentially an attacking centre half, of which there are very few today, but he is such a good reader of the run of the game that he always seemed to be in the right place at the right moment. His nonchalant manner, ice-cool methods and unorthodox play in front of goal often had our hearts in our mouths, but he was so sure of himself that he invariably came out with the ball at his toe to send it hurting to an unmarked colleague. His height was invaluable when his side won a corner kick and many a goal he scored with his black curly head, and his free kicks were dreaded by the opposition goalkeeper. I remember watching Jones in a reserve game when Charlie Gee was the regular centre half. Charlie turned to me and said, “if this lad ever gets in, I am afraid I am out for good.” Only a big-hearted man could say that, but I am sure Gee meant it. When Jones did make the first team he was in for good. He was a member of the championship winning team in 1938-39. With the exception of Ted Buckle who bruised a shoulder in the late minutes of the game at West Ham the Everton players are free from injury. The team to meet Aston Villa at Goodison Park on Saturday will be announced later in the week.

February 3, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Win Over Villa Would be Welcome
Ranger’s Notes
Everton home tomorrow to Aston Villa have had one enforced change, thrust upon them. Buckle has not recovered from last week’s injury, and Higgins takes his place. Buckle is expected to be fit in good time for next week’s Cup-tie. Even with this alteration, Everton have a good chance of further improving their position in the table. Everton drew with the Villa at Villa Park last September, at a time when the Blues were slipping down the slope that leads to a lower sphere. Today there is a new spirit in the team and though much remains to be done before anxiety is entirely lifted, recent performances have encouraged a more optimistic outlook among Goodison supporters. The tightening up of the defence has stopped the heavy crop of goals against. Including cup-ties only 10 have been put into the Everton net in the last nine outings, while the credit account has been increased by 13. This is the first time this season that goal average has been favourable to the Blues over a sustained period. I’ve mentioned before the help which spectators can give in spurring on the side. The players themselves testify to the encouragement they derive from the knowledge that the crowd is solidly behind them.
Supporters Can Help
Supporters have played their part enthusiastically in many recent games, but were strangely silent for long periods when Portsmouth were here. At times you could almost have heard a pin drop. I hope we shall hear some of the old-time enthusiasm tomorrow. Do your best! If you have to be critical leave your comments till the match is over. Don’t hurl them at individual players. Villa are a big and busting side, but have not a very impressive away record. They have won three and drawn three away engagements, their victories being over. Middlesbrough, Chelsea, and Wolves. Their defence is fairly sound, Rutherford back in goal following the broke arm injury sustained by Keith Jones, Welsh international goalkeeper, and Paddy Daly, former Shamrock Rovers back now partners Parkes. The half backs line has rarely been changed. The forward line, though more prolific in scoring than the Blues, is not as forceful and penetrative as some and if the home rearguard can bottle up Trevor Ford they will have gone a long way to drawing the main sting from the visiting attack. Everton; Burnett; Moore, Hedley’s; Grant, Falder, Lello; Higgins, Wainwright, Catterick, Farrell, Eglington. Aston Villa; Rutherford; Parkes, Daly; Powell, Martin, Moss (F.); Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Goffin, Smith (L).

February 3, 1950. The Evening Express
Higgins Plays Against Villa
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Ted Buckle, Everton’s outside-right, failed to pass today’s fitness test for his bruised shoulder, and so cannot play against Aston Villa at Goodison Park tomorrow, in the day of “League calm before the Cup storm.” Billy Higgins one of Everton’s locally produced forwards, will deputise as partner to Wainwright. Billy has made nine appearances this season (mostly at centre-forward) for three goals, and is no stranger to the right wing position. This will be Everton’s first home appearance of 1950. Tension has been relieved for the Blues since Christmas Eve, for their only defeat since was at home to Portsmouth, after they had given a display which had earned the reward of at least a point. In other games they have drawn at Fulham and won at Huddersfield, while sandwiched in between were two grand cup wins at the Rangers and West Ham. There is a psychological effect of those cup successes which should help the Blues materially in their struggle for a spot of comfort, and I expect them to continue their point-winning ways. The Villa sacrificed a point to the Blues at Villa Park, thanks to a last-second goal, but Everton were not as good then as they are now. Main danger to Everton security is Trevor Ford, the quick-moving and keen-witted Welsh international, who leads the attack, but Ted Falder has so capably been solving the Everton centre-half problem that the Ford danger be offset. I warn Falder that Ford has a penchant for moving away to the wings to secure more operative space, but Ted no doubt is used to this modern trend of centre-forward play. Everton are good enough to win provided they do not find little things running against them as they have in so many games at Goodison this term. These old rivals of the 80’s are certain to provide plenty of good football in keeping with their traditions, and so there should be “fun and games” from here o’clock onwards. Everton; Burnett; Moore, Hedley’s; Grant, Falder, Lello; Higgins, Wainwright, Catterick, Farrell, Eglington. Aston Villa; Rutherford; Parkes, Daly; Powell, Martin, Moss (F.); Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Goffin, Smith (L).
• Everton “A” v. Newton Y.M.C.A at Bellefield
• Everton “D” v. Prescot Celtic, at Bellefield

February 4, 1950, The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton 1, Aston Villa 1
By Stork
In this half success it had to be remembered that Everton played 55 minutes with ten men, so in the circumstances the result was not a bad one. It could have been much better had there not been two cases of missed chances in the first half. Everton; Burnett, goal; Moore and Hedley, backs; Grant, Falder and Lello, half-backs; Higgins, Wainwright, Catterick, Farrell (captain), and Egington, forwards. Aston Villa; Rutherford, goal; Parkes and Daly, backs; Powell, Martin, and Moss, half-backs; Craddock, Gibson, Ford, Goffin, Smith (L.), forwards. Referee; Mr. B. J. Flanagan (Sheffield). Everton immediately went into the attack and Eglington showed his speed when he got the better of Parkes, and although harassed he was able to sling across the great centre which Martin was able to head clear. But the danger was not cleared even then, for Eglington and Farrell between them worked out another opportunity for Eglington to put the ball in the middle, but his length this time was not nearly so accurate. After the Villa had paid one visit to the Everton goal area when Gibson tried to work his way through, and an Everton defender misjudged the flight of the ball, Everton were back again attacking strongly through their left wing, in which Farrell was the main figure. A much nearer call to a goal was made when Farrell, again by his fine control, beat the Villa opposition, and pushed the ball up to Catterick. The Everton centre forward, without hesitation, slipped the ball inside the Villa left back, and Daly was hopelessly at sea. This let in Higgins who took the ball a few steps forward before hitting a really fast shot that had only one fault –it lacked the right direction, and few outside the far post.
Faulty Direction
I saw a great improvement in Everton at West Ham on a treacherous ground. Today, with the conditions more suitable, they exploited the wings with great passes that simply cut the Villa defence to ribbons, and Higgns was again offered a goal chance with a ball that came to him head-high. The Everton outside right made contact all right, but again direction was faulty. It was immediately after this when the Villa created a surprise when they scored at 16 minutes. Ford chased a ball almost to the goal line and Burnett ran out to tackle him, but was beaten, and Ford’s centre passed across an empty Everton goalmouth. Goffin just missed getting his head to it, and so it went on to Gibson who found the only hole in the Everton defence to bang the ball to the back of the net. This naturally heartened the Midlanders, and for some minutes they were rather a menace when anywhere near goal, for they did shoot even though their efforts were not always good ones.
Lello Injured
This only goes to show how a game can change in the flick of an eyelid. Everton had undoubtedly been the more impressive side. Lello was hurt, and went on the wing with Eglington moving inside and Farrell dropping back to left half. Everton still had their chances, particularly when Eglington found a ball running towards him, but unfortunately not to his best foot. By the time he had maneuvered it he was dispossessed. It was now the Villa’s turn to enjoy a spell of attack, and Craddock tried to improve the shinning hour with a hard shot that had little chance of finding a way through, because the goal area was pretty well packed. But it was worth a try, anyhow.
Free Kick Cleared
After 25 minutes Lello left the field limping badly, and went to the dressing room for treatment. When Catterick charged Daly who went flying over the line it seemed that this was cause for a foul, but what the crowd had not seen was a case of obstruction, and Everton were granted a free kick close to goal, but at a bad angle. This was immediately cleared. Burnett made two good saves from high flying balls which he dealt with very confidently.
Two Chances Lost
Hereabouts, Everton suffered a streak of bad luck when Higgins centred, and Wainwright beat Martin in the air, but his header bumped up against the crossbar with Rutherford well out of position. The Villa answered this with a strong attack which looked troublesome to Everton’s cause until an infringement held up their progress. The equalizer should have come when Wainwright slipped a ball nicely along the ground for Higgins who had moved into the right position, but he scooped the ball over from about eight yards out. This could be considered a miss.
Plenty of Thrills
There were plenty of thrills in this game, and I liked the way the Everton supporters were urging their team on with their vocal efforts. Higgins when making a header, was knocked out, and had to receive attention but he was up and ready when the ball was slung out to the wing. Everton were putting in a spirited effort to get that leveling goal, and Catterick took a pass from Wainwright in his stride and without hesitation shot for goal. It was a difficult angle, however, and he could do no more than hit the side netting. It must be remembered that Everton had played the last 20 minutes with ten men –a severe handicap.
Half-time; Everton 0, Aston Villa 1.
Everton resumed without the services of Lello. The first move of note in this half was started by Wainwright. He pushed the ball along the side-line up to Catterick whose centre was the acme of perfection. Eglington closed in, but got too far under the ball, which passed over to the left wing, Smith was charged off the ball by Falder when he looked full of danger, and Catterick was only just beaten by an interception by Martin.
Wainwright’s Effort
The equalizer still seemed a long way off, and with their handicap Everton were going to find it hard to supply one. Wainwright made a great effort for it when he headed for the far side of the goal which had been left vacant by Rutherford but the ball passed on the wrong side of the upright. Villa were soon back testing their attacking strength against the Everton defence, and when Craddock pulled the ball back for Ford there was extreme danger for Burnett. Fortunately he put no real power behind his ground shot. Falder was again in the picture when he headed away a nasty-looking ball from Smith, and Burnett had to make a catch as he was challenged by Ford. Moore was giving Smith no rope whatever. The Villa outside left tricked him twice, but he tried it a third time Moore was the victor. A free kick taken by Grant was delivered towards the far post where Eglington was stationed but the Irishman got the ball on the top of his head instead of his forehead and that was the end of that.
Catterick’s Good Work
Catterick was doing much good work on the right flank. Two of his centres should have created troubles had there been an Everton man up to do the needful. There was not a lot of shooting hereabout and when Ford made one he had his shot blocked. But he was still able to get the ball over to Smith who made a cross-field pass to Craddock, who, however, was limping so badly that he could hardly run, let alone kick the ball. When Farrell attempted one of his long sinuous runs the Everton spectators were full of expectancy, but after beating two men he was finally beaten. Gibson had a rare opportunity when he got the perfect up the middle pass, and it seemed that he might run on and score. The chance was there, but Farrell dropped back and made a very decisive tackle to disposses Gibson, and Moore was able to complete the clearance.
Catterick Equalises
At this point a mist was falling but it did not prevent us seeing Ford break through and look all over a scorer. But he shot wide of the mark –much to the joy of the Everton people. All things considered Everton were not doing badly to hold the Villa, because some of the Villa plans were exceptionally good and effective. However, a blow struck the Midlanders at the 73rd minute when a through ball by Wainwright to Catterick saw the Everton centre-forward close in, and although the Villa goalkeeper came out to narrow the angle, Catterick shot wide of the goalkeeper’s right hand and into the net. This sent the Everton supporters wild with joy. Villa were soon on the goal prowl again, and it took the combined efforts, of the Everton defence to keep them at bay. Lello, by the way, is suffering from a bad bruise behind the knee.
Foiled by Falder
Near the end, Ford, with a back-header, opened the way for Smith who was careering off towards the Everton goal, but was brought down by Falder. He went hurtling into the penalty area, and had to receive attention. Final; Everton 1, Aston Villa 1. Official attendance, 43,634.

February 4, 1950. The Liverpool Football Echo
Chesterfield Res; Kennaway, goal; Bannister and Taylor, backs; Urquhart, Leivers, and Coyle, half-backs; Moore, Bacci, Wilson, Holmes, and Donaldson, forwards. Everton Res; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Rankin, backs; Bentham, Jones, and Melville, half-backs; McNamara, Powell, McIntosh, Hampson and Parker, forwards. Referee; Mr. F.S.L. Ramsden (North Staffs). Everton had a clever left winger in Parker, and McIntosh nearly scored from one of his choice centres. The Chesterfield goalkeeper punched out a shot from Powell. After a corner, McNamara headed on to a post. Rankin saved a certain goal by a great individual effort. Hampson delivered the best shot. Just before the interval Chesterfield were awarded a penalty for hands. Holmes took the kick and Sagar saved, but Holmes ran forward and scored. Half-time; Chesterfield Res 1, Everton Res nil.
Everton “A” v. Newton Y.M.C.A
Shaw gave Everton the lead after five minutes. Keeping up the pressure, Donovan scored a second and goals were added by Easthope and Hickson. Newton wasted good chances. Half-time; Everton “A” 5, Newton Y.M.C.A 0.

February 4, 1950. The Liverpool Football Echo
I wish to complain of the sale of paddock tickets on Saturday morning for the Spurs cup-tie. If I take the morning off I lose a day’s pay, so do many others. I suggest the tickets should have been sold one per-person at the paddock turnstile at the Villa match today. Arsenal are selling 40,000 tickets that way. I was told when I phoned this idea to Everton that they could not give the gatemen the resonsibity of two lots of money in one day. He added that it isn’t possible to suit every one –True Blue Walker, Wavertree.
Another Complaint
I must express my disgust at the increased charges made by Everton for the Tottenham visit. For years we have been asked to encourage the Everton players though the standard of play has reached rock bottom in comparison with the old days. Well we live and learn. This is profiteering at its worst. I have often been accused of having blue blood in my veins, but in future, when the weather, like the Everton team, is not very promising, I shall sit in comfort by the fireside. –A. Horton, Beatty Road.
Words Of Wisdom
As a former Everton shareholder and keen supporter for 18 years but having been in “exile” since the war during which my only contact has been via the Football Echo, it is without any fear of contradiction that I rate this sporting paper supreme. At considerable inconvenience I saw the “Blues” against West Ham. I was somewhat bewildered and disappointed that Everton after playing brilliant football for 20 minutes, then resorted to a purely defensive role with even their centre forward in his own penalty area. At any given time Everton were capable of playing better football than West Ham. I think you will agree “Attack is the best defence” –my conclusion was that Everton were playing to a pre-conceived plan –W.H. Fawcett, Norwich Road, Ipswich.

February 6, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Everton 1, Aston Villa 1
To drop a point at home is not generally well accepted, but Everton’s half share with Aston Villa was an exception. They had to battle for over an hour with ten men. It is not only the loss of a player’s service but the breaking down of ideas and the spoiling of rhythm which counts. Thus, we must look upon this as a credit of merit. It was during the making of the Villa goal that Lello received the knock which caused him to leave the field. Prior to that Everton had played exceptionally good football; full of guile and method and with the chances made should not have been in arrears’ at the half stage. They had cu and carved their way through with an ease and grace but they had not taken full toll of chances; J. Gibson goal would not then have been so vital. Higgins should have had two goals and Wainwright was unfortunate to head against the crossbar with Rutherford holding an onlookers view as the ball bounced to safety. When Villa scored at 16 minutes it was hard to believe Everton where in arrears for they not Villa had the goal look. Lello sustained a bad bruise at the back of his knee and although he stayed on for 10 minutes more he might well have gone off instantly. Everton by fighting spirit and never-say-die efforts were able to create an equalizing goal when the dice was heavily leaded against them. It was hard going, for Villa were not slow to take advantage of Everton’s misfortune.
Forward Competence
Right along the front line Everton were competent, swinging into attack with sharply directed passes which sometimes cut the defence to threads. But the order had to change. Everton could not afford to become wholly defensive for there was that equalizing goal to obtain, and with only four forwards to get it the odds were against them yet Catterick slipped through and with a bonny shot beat Rutherford at 73 minutes. If ever a club earned a goal, Everton earned that one, but they were not safe. It needed supreme defence to hold the draw safe. Villa may not be the side of their glorious days, but they have some enterprising members the most improved being Ford their centre forward. His football nowadays is complete. In fairness to Villa I must say that they had their misfortune for Craddock was a passenger half way through the second half but it would have been injustice had Everton lost. Laurels are due to Falder and company, but the most pleasing thing of all was Wainwright’s return to form. He and Catterick got along famously, and Eglington gets better and better. I cannot leave out Farrell, who did a joint job and did well, but I liked the way he piled Eglington so that the winger could use his speed to outpace Parkes.
• Chesterfield Res 1, Everton Res 0
• Everton “A” 7, Newton Y.M.C.A 1
• Aintree 0, Everton “B” 8

February 6, 1950. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Most of the good constructive football came from Everton; in fact they reveled form in the first quarter which would strike fear into the hearts of the Sours’ “spotters” watching. When Lello was injured in an attempt to avert Gibson’s goal (incidentally the ball struck both Moore and Hedley before entering), it was like taking a sparking-plug out of the engine, and subsequently it was generally galliantry and spirit which enabled it to “tick over.” There was still better movement than that produced by Villa, but this Midlands’ defence was so good that it took guile and unorthodox to break it down. Everton’s four forwards carried on amazingly well, with Eglington trying to so the entire work of the left wing; Catterick leading the line magnificently; Higgins eager and strong; and Wainwright generally doing the things most people –and most of all Villa –least expected him to do. Wainwright actually went to the left in the making of the opening which brought that grand Catterick equalizer in 73 minutes. I did like the way Harry took that right foot chance with a ball moving away from him, for his shot never rose an inch. This excellent all round display by Catterick was to me as pleasing as anything in the game. Harry is playing with greater mobility and confidence o that he is now doing good things with the ball and making excellent use of the vital short pass, Wainwright was splendid, while Eglington gave Parkes a most uncomfortable day. So far as defence was concerned Everton were without blemish, although Burnett could have picked up when Ford came through. George decided it was safer to let the ball run dead, but the thing slowed up and gave Ford a second chance and Villa a goal. Moore and Hedley were excellent while Grant and Farrell were vital factors in a sound half-back line once Falder had “tumbled” to the wiles of Ford, a really splendid centre-forward. It takes a good “good ‘un” to hold Ford, but Falder did it. Grant was the busy-bee of the game, while Lello was going along grandly until his accident. Farrell willingly took over after Lello went and also did his best to supplement half-back essentials with subtle inside-forward qualities. In the end this was a fair decision in a game in which Everton took major honours for overcoming their handicap.

February 6, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Unfortunately, Lello’s injury against Villa –a visiting player accidentally stepped on his knee and the resultant pressure badly strained the tendons at the back of it – is such that he is a very doubtful starter for the cup-tie. The special treatment he is having may do the trick, but hopes are rather slender. Buckle’s injured shoulder, however, is mending nicely, and he should be fit. Everton will follow ordinary routine this week. Not even a departure from normal for brine baths.
Spur’s “Not Automations”
Speaking of Tottenham’s defeat by Leicester, Mr. Arthur Rowe, the Sour’s manager, said today. “It was just one of those days, and after all we are not automations. We are still very confident about Saturday’s Cup game against Everton. “Nicholson had two stitutes inserted when he cut his head on Saturday, but I hope he will be well enough by the week-end. Medley received a kick, but he too, is expected to be fit. “We shall not indulge in any special training. Brine baths will be taken on Wednesday at Southend and those who wish may play golf one day.”
Hard, But Not Polished
It is idle to speculate on what the result of Everton’s game with Villa might have been had the Blues been at full strength throughout. For what a guess is worth, I fancy they would have won. As it was, they did extremely well, playing with ten men for three parts of the game to level the account after a partial defensive lapse had given Villa an early goal against the run of play. This wasn’t a particularly brilliant game. Hard and dour, yes, full of heart-bursting effort and grim determination, but not a surplus of style and polish. There was a rather a lot of disjointed work by both sides, many passes went astray –Everton being the worst offenders in this respect –and very little shooting worth mentioning. So little in fact that I cannot recall a single really thrilling save, or even a particularly difficult shot. Catterick took his goal well, thanks to Wainwright’s well judged pass, to balance the one scored by Gibson when Burnett came out and failed to prevent Ford getting his centre across. Everton’s best effort, Catterick’s goal excepted, was Wainwright’s header that struck the bar with Rutherford beaten. The only other notable effort came from the same player, though from such a distance that it was unlikely to beat Rutherford.
Good Fighting Effort
As he was so often been before Wainwright again was Everton’s most frequent shooter though Higgins early on tried hard enough without getting the right direction. One encouraging feature was that Everton never lost heart. They fought back well against a side that at times found one another very well. The home backs and halves can take credit for a solid display. If touch was occasionally found when one would have liked to see the ball kept in play, nobody can be unduly critical in view of Everton’s handicap. Safety first was obviously the motto. Villa also were handicapped a little through Craddock limping, and their defence had occasional shaky moments. Ford took some holding in attack, but though his ball distribution was excellent his wandering said no real dividend. This might easily have been another set-back for Everton. That they saved a point with only 10 men for so long was a good performance. But they will need to direct more shots on the mark to beat the Spurs.

February 7, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton appeal to the public not to telephone them regarding Cup-tie tickets at present. The staff is to overwhelmed that all the applications (successful or otherwise) cannot be dealt with before tomorrow evening. Do not make telephone inquiries until Thursday morning’s post has been delievered. Members are advised that while they are assured of a seat it cannot be guaranteed that it will be their usual one.

February 8, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
The news that Everton’s injured player Buckle (outside right) and Lello (left half-back) are to resume full training, the former today and Lello tomorrow, gives rise to the hope that both may be fit for the fifth round F.A Cup-tie against Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison on Saturday. Should both be fit to play I expect the eleven to be unchanged, but the club will not announce the team until they see what progress Lello makes. Tottenham also delay final selection, in their case until the day of the match. Doubts are in the attack where it is still decided whether Duquemin will resume at centre forward in place of Rees, and whether Rees will be at inside right instead of Bennett. If Duquemin plays the team will be chosen from;- Ditchburn; Ramsey, Withers; Nicholson, Clarke, Burgress, Walters, Bennett, Rees, Dunquemin, Baily, Medley.

February 9, 1950. The Evening Express
Lello is Not Yet Recovered
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Everton may not be in a position to announce their team to face Tottenham Hotspur in the F.A. Cup fifth round tie on Saturday until Saturday itself. Manager Cliff Britton stated today that with vital men like Cyril Lello and Ted Buckle under treatment for injuries hours counted and therefore he may delay final chose until the last possible moment. This is the wisest thing to do, for there is no reason to make an early decision and of course it will not help the Spurs in any pre-match talks they may have planned for tomorrow evening. At the moment it looks as if Ted Buckle will be fit to resume, for he trained yesterday and came through without aggravation of his bruised shoulder. Cyril Lello remains the doubtful one with that strained tendon at the back of a knee. It was hoped that Lello would have been able to train today, but Manager Britton will not risk it, for a return to work too early could upset the good which has been done in four days of constant treatment.
Men For Job
The annoying part of these injuries is that it is possible the team which has brought the Blues through two away ties – and at the first time of asking –may have to be disturbed. However, if Lello cannot play, the club has the readymade man for the left half job an Irish international Peter Farrell, which would leave a vacancy at inside-left. Well, Manager Britton has two internationals for the job in Wally Fielding and Aubrey Powell. Fielding has shown in the Central League side that he has recaptured his old form and sparkle, and there is no doubting that Wally has a perfect knowledge of the workings of not only Tommy Eglington, but of Harry Catterick and Eddie Wainwright. Powell has made 15 first team appearances this season –only seven players have made more –and although he has been troubled with his back recently be should be all right. For outside right the Blues could call on Billy Higgins, who played against the Villa last week or recall Peter Corr the Irish internationalist. You see there are useful deputise, so it should work out all right despite the worries.

February 10, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Let me deal first with Everton’s chance against Tottenham Hotspur. The Spurs have been hailed by many sound judges as the nearest thing to Soccer perfection we have seen since the war. They have been likened to that famous Tottenham side of a generation ago which ran away with the second Division championship and the next year won the Cup. This is high praise, for few people today who remember the halcyon years when football was a matter of craft and artistry will grant that today’s speed merchants can hold a candle to the boys of the old brigade. It’s all a matter of opinion. Everton are only a very moderate side. Does that reduce their chances? Not if you cast your mind back over the many moderate teams which have got to Wembley over the years.
May Be Close Thing
Contrary to some who think the Blues are in for a hiding, I fancy this will be a reasonably close fight. Tottenham in the words of their own manager, are not “automations.” Leeds and Leicester have proved them vulnerable. Everton can knock them out of their accustomed rhythm if their produce the fighting spirit of recent games, shoot often and accurately, make up their minds to be first to the ball, and don’t give the opposition time to settle on it and perfect their moves. Although I’m hopeful of Everton putting up a good show, at the same time, I must confess to fearing that Tottenham will just pull it off. But seldom have I wished so fervently that I may be proved wrong. Unfortunately, Everton have had an enforced change thrust upon them, involving two positions. Lello has not recovered from last week’s injury, so that Farrell takes his place at left half and Fielding comes in to fill the inside-left position lately occupied by Farrell. Buckle is fit again, which is good news. This should not affect the Blues’ chances. Farrell is a strong and reliable half, and Fielding’s ball control and clever distribution may be just the thing to weld the attack together, and provide more scoring opportunities for his colleagues. Just another appeal, to the Goodison fans. Give the side everything you’ve got in the way of vocal support. It makes all the difference. Now, go to it Everton, and the best of luck. Everton; Burnett; Moore, Hedley; Grant, Falder, Farrell; Buckle, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, Eglington. Tottenham; Ditchburn; Ramsay, Withers; Nicholson, Clarke, Burgress; Walters, Bennett, Duquemin, Baily, Medley.
Everton Reserves (v. Manchester City, away);- Sagar; Greenhalgh, Rankin; Lindley, Jones, Melville; McNamara, Powell, McIntosh, Hampson, Parker.

February 11, 1950, The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton 1, Spurs Nil
By Contact
Everton; Burnett, goal; Moore and Hedley, backs; Grant, Falder and Farrell (captain), half-backs; Buckle, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Tottenham Hotspurs; Ditchburn, goal; Ramsey and Withers, backs; Nicholson, Clarke, and Burgess (captain), half-backs; Walters, Bennett, Duquemin, Baily, and Medley, forwards. Referee. Mr. T. Seymour (Wakefield). There appeared to be a good 75,000 at Goodison Park for the fifth round cup-tie between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur. Outside the ground a few minutes from the start I saw someone calling “dollar tickets for a dollar” so someone would have an eleventh hour reprieve from the ticket situation. The wind had dried up the ground which was very heavy yesterday and conditions were well nigh perfect, except for gusts of wind when the teams came out, Everton to a tremendous roar.
Tough Opening
Farrell won the toss and kicked away from the Park goal, Nicholson, refusing to lose possession of the ball in the opening moments, carved the way for a pass to Medley, but when the winger came in and tried to find Walters that player was nowhere to be seen. It was a tough opening with neither side able to frame a real attack, and the crowd roaring its head off whenever there was the prospect of an attack going through to anything near finally.
Penalty Award
Then out of the blue came some real drama. Falder hit a long free kick to the edge of the penalty area, Wainwright got up to flick it on with his head and the ball, bouncing awkwardly, seemed to brush the forearm of the tall Clarke. Few sensed a penalty award, but Everton’s appeal was met by the pointing finger of Mr. Seymour. In vain Tottenham appealed, Wainwright placed the ball on the spot, had to replace it when the strong wind caused it to roll towards goal, and then hit a right foot shot so wide of Ditchburn that it must have only just found the inside of the net. The scorer came back joyously clapping his hands together, and the Everton section of the crowd became almost hysterically vociferous. If Spurs were unsettled they showed few signs of it. In their first real attack they were unlucky not to score.
Burnett in Action
Spurs so far had shown nothing classical but their full backs had been sure, and Ramsay’s half volleyed trap of a big clearance and his use of the ball led to Walters getting almost clean through, and Burnett having to grasp the ball to his chest after first finding difficulty in securing his grasp. A corner conceded by Moore at this moment when the light was bad nearly brought about the equalizer. Hedley smashed the ball in front of goal, where Duquenin headed it surely and swiftly down to the line. Here Burnett pounced on it not a moment too soon, Spurs appeared to be getting on top and some Everton midfield hesitancy opened up the way for yet another Medley centre, Burnett failing to connect with his punch and Duquemin nodding the ball a few feet over an empty goal.
Excellent Teamwork
Spurs’ teamwork was excellent and their covering meant that some rather tentative Everton moves ended in the ball being lost to an all up opposition. The big Clarke was very strong both with head and foot, and Spurs were so quick and alive it was not surprising they were taking a grip on the game. There was some rain at this point, and newspapers and handkerchiefs blossomed on the heads of the assembled multitude like snowdrops. Of Everton’s few chances since they scored the best arose when Eglington found the ball travelling too fast for his left foot as it sped across goal from Buckle. Catterick, who made the corner with a diving header turned the ball wide of the goal in a spectacular and praiseworthy scoring effort.
Burnett Injured
Burnett was not getting to the ball as it came over and not for the first time, he was saved by his seventh sense, this time when Medley shot and the ball struck the goalkeeper. A moment later the goalkeeper called the referee’s attention to a knee injury and the game was stopped for a minute and a half while Burnett’s left knee was bandaged as he stood on his line. He was limping when the game restarted. Spurs were very good in their next prolonged attack when shots just failed to get there, and Duquemin with a heel touch, was unlucky not to open up a clear way for a shot by Baily.
Spurs’ Pressure
Spurs’ left wing was working overtime, and was delighting in it, and from this sort of pressure one could only foresee a potential equalizer. For a man who was forced to limp, Burnett hit a nifty clearance exactly three-parts the length of the field before the ball dropped and the goalkeeper applauded the result of his work when Wainwright almost directly from the move made a header which so puzzled Ditchburn as it sped over his bar his anxiety was patent to everyone.
There To Pick Up
Catterick started Everton’s best attack when he swung a long pass over to Buckle and Buckle side-footed it into the centre towards Wainwright. Unhappily Ditchburn was there first for the pick-up. The game stopped while Bennett had a knee injury attended to. The referee’s first criticisable decision was when he gave a free kick in Sours favour against Catterick when it was obvious that Clarke stooping down to head the ball, had placed himself in danger. If a goal had been the sequel to the kick as well it might Everton would have had a legitimate grievance.
Duquemin’s Header
Grant was doing valuable work against Spurs left wing but even he could not prevent Duquemin turning the ball back with a header as fine as Dean ever made, and Medley volleying this offering of such speed that if it had been on target nothing could have saved a picture goal. Ditchburn’s only serious work for 10 minutes on end was to watch the swerve of an Eglington centre and make an adequate catch. Spurs’ control of the ball was terrific, but they just couldn’t find the spread-eagling pass in front of goal. That they were a great side we had no doubt, and it was good clean stuff too. Everton had a tremendous escape when Burnett again dropped the ball. Walters poked it across an open goal and Moore flying in to get there a fraction earlier than Baily, was in danger of slashing the ball into his own net in a neck or nothing clearance. When Spurs won a free kick at the expense of Fielding there was some delay in taking it while Everton players stood prohibitively close. It came to nought, but Falder with a very timely header undoubtedly saved his side a moment later.
A Checky Throw-In
Again there was a hair’s breath decision, for handling this time against the left back Withers who complained that the ball had not touched his arm. The referee insisted otherwise. Falder went to outside left to stop Doquemin and Grant could not prevent the lively Medley back-heeling the ball on to him to get a cheeky throw-in. Burgess the Spurs captain had a word with the referee when Falder was guilty of handling slap on the penalty line almost at the left-hand angle. The kick was used badly, and Burnett would doubtless wish that others would come so easily to hand. Catterick was knocked out from a full-blooded corner kick by Buckle, getting the mall on toe of his head rather than on his forehead, and the referee had whistled a delayed action half-time when Harry Cooke and Stevenson went to the player’s assistance. Half-time; Everton 1, Spurs Nil.
Clarke was a giant in more ways than one, and early in the second half showed finesse one hardly expects from such a hugh fellow. This half opened as the first one had with a diamond-cut-diamond process which never allowed attacks from either side to develop fully.
Eglington’s Challenge
Buckle was as little in the picture as I have ever seen him, and one of his mistakes led to a centre by Medley, a punch away by Burnett who shifted Falder in the process, and a header by Baily which Moore wisely let go for a goal kick. Ditchburn had to be slick to beat Eglington to a long ball by Catterick and Ramsey took risks immediately afterwards when he turned the ball back to his own goalkeeper, with Eglington making a challenge. It was far from a pulsating game at the moment. Indeed the only word to describe it were straggling and struggling. Spurs’ showed no evidence that they felt time was getting short. Moreover they had not started the second half with the confidence with which they ended the first.
More Everton Pressure
There were moments when the Spurs great understanding came unstuck and when Clarke tried to pass back well outside the penalty area and dug his foot in the ground Catterick had rounded him and was well on the way to a second goal when he was tripped. Everton did better again when Fielding and Eglington worked a way through and Catterick must have been within inches of converting Eglington’s fast shot as if flew beyond him a few yards from goal. Everton came to life and even more was found up-field trying a bow-atta-venture shot near enough to the mark to cause Ditchburn no little concern. Farrell, picking up a low Medley shot in front of goal, almost turned the ball for a corner if not worse, but escaped without penalty.
Dispirited Spurs
It was a rather dispirited Spurs side at the moment although they were still unhurried if a trifle resigned to the fact that equalizing goal would just not come. Eglington was having just as good an innings as Buckle was having a bad one. Again Ramsey made a risky reverse header to prevent Eglington getting his head to a Catterick pass. Catterick was a great trier, and Spurs only stopped him from converting a long Buckle pass at great effort. Catterick was injured in his clash with Clarke. Spurs were inclined to keep the ball too close and should certainly have made better use of two very good wingers. Duquemin came an ace of flashing a header into the goal from a Walters corner, and Bennett who stood close to Burnett as the ball came across, very nearly put the right deflection to his partners’s great effort.
Save of the Match
Buckle at last got going and in partnership with Catterick worked a magnificent opening for Wainwright who seemed to be there without a doubt until Ditchburn made the save of the match literally on the goal line. Burnett went out quickly to a ball headed from the ruck to stop Walters who had come into the centre, and with seven minutes to go the crowd urged Everton on with the enthusiasm of people who sensed the triumph was near. Final; Everton 1, Tottenham Hotspur 0. Official attendance 72,921, Receipts £9,760.

February 11, 1950. The Liverpool Football Echo
Manchester City Res; Powell, goal; Battrick, and Williams, backs; Gill, Ewing, and Emptage, half-backs; Allison, Munro, Bowden, Williamson, and Cunliffe, forwards. Everton Res; Sagar, goal; Greenhalgh, and Rankin, backs; Lindley, Jones, and Melville, half-backs; McNamara, Powell, McIntosh, Hampson, and Parker, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.E. Lambert (Blackburn). Some fast, clever football saw both sides attack in turn. After Sagar had saved from Williamson the Manchester goalkeeper had difficulty in clearing a shot from McNamara. Everton were always dangerous. After 25 minutes a good move enabled McNamara to give them the lead with a grand shot. Manchester City responded strongly. Within three minutes of the interval Emptage put them on level terms.
Half-time; Manchester City Res 1, Everton Res 1. The second half opened with attacks by both sides. It was Manchester who met with the first success when Cunliffe gave them the lead in the 53rd minute. Undeterred, Everton attacked strongly. Hampson made the score level in the 65th minute with a brilliant shot. Sowden scored for Manchester after 80 minutes. Final; Manchester City Res 3, Everton Res 2.

February 13, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 1, Tottenham Hotspurs 0
Nearly A Day Too Soon
By Leslie Edwards
The intensity of Cup fervor knows no bounds; otherwise how could one Evertonians so forget himself (and the lawful arm which sought to restrain him) as to fling his arms round Everton goalkeeper, George Burnett; and kiss him on both cheeks as he walked off, in triumph after the defeat of Spurs? How ironic that this Burnett was the man Everton were prepared to allow to transfer to South Liverpool on the very day it was found he would be required for first team duty as Sagar’s deputy. How odd that he should fit into the Everton scheme and play so big a part in the notable cup triumph which helped to take both our clubs to the last eight. Burnett will remember his saves against Tottenham because he made them when all seemed lost, and because, desperate (and sometimes rather fortuitous) as they were, they led to that astonishing penalty goal by Wainwright being the game’s decisive factor. Burnett made mistakes; happened to be in the right spot at the right moment and undoubtedly saved his club from defeat. would Everton have scored if Clarke arm had not grazed a ball lively with bounce and with the swirl of the wind? It did not seem likely. That is of no account. The offence was there and so was the referee, and his finger pointed to the penalty spot. It was the beginning and, as Spurs discovered to their cost the end after four minutes play. I rate Everton’s greatest fear as the winning of the match. Of the remaining honours few can be credited to them. Tottenham on the other hand looked good enough to steer themselves comfortably into further cup interests. They contrived some of their own undoing by keeping the ball close, by appearing almost causal and giving the impression they could with their own sweet time. the bite one associations with a fight-back from a goal down was not there except in the last 20 minutes of the first half and the last 10 minutes of all, and then it was too late.
Inside Failings
Spurs, at best were very good in conditions which hindered the fast attractive football they played for long periods. Both Medley and Walters frequently had the measure of the Everton full backs, sternly as Hedley and Moore played, but the tale of supremacy was not so of Duquemin and his partners. Indeed once Duequemin showed us a few Dean nods, he seemed cumbersome. The grand Everton half back line, which challenged comparison with the more polished Spurs middle line was chiefly to blame. Falder played with splendid confidence an all times. The Everton attack was disappointing in that is produced so few shots –Wainwright late one which Ditchburn saved so magnificently was almost singular –and because Buckle, whether from injury or other cause, simply could not get started. Wainwright was so full of life and effort in two roles this must be rated as one of his best performances. Eglington satisfied to use his pace and then turn the ball inwards and to good account was fine and so was Catterick. To be beaten by a penalty which many referees might not have given was a desperate business for the team of the season. But Spurs never became rattled, played cleanly and went out with honours. When they come again as assuredly they must we may have opportunity of getting a better appreciation of their art in normal conditions. And now to Burnett. He suffered a blow to the nose. It is nothing serious and was forced to have a knee bandaged but it did not stop him landing the ball three parts down the field – and came up smiling have had endured moments of great anxiety and others of great joy. The position now is that Everton, if the draw takes them to London again may have the distinction of going through to the final having played only one game in the provinces. But that would happen only if the F.A. decide on Wembley for the two semi-finals. Manager Cliff Britton when asked who would you like next? “said “it does not make much difference –they are all tough at this stage. It looks like being a great competition in the closing stages.

February 13, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
I saw Everton disperse Tottenham’s wembley hopes by their gallant fighting spirit, thanks to a Wainwright penalty goal for an offence which had some tinge of doubt about it. Clarke, the “culprit,” assured me after the match that he never handled. He said he took the ball with his shoulder. Referee Seymour demonstrated to me how Clarke had bent up his fist to his shoulder and then brought it down on the ball. From the distance of the press-box I should hesitate to be dogmatic. It makes no difference, anyway. Right or wrong, the spot kick brought Everton an early lead which the Spurs could not wipe out. For the last half-hour of the first half it seemed that Tottenham must eventually get on level terms. They hammered the Blues hip and thigh. But Everton hung on grimly, and though Burnett brought our hearts into our moths a few times and Moore kicked off the line when the equalizer looked on the way, the Blues defence weathered the storm wonderfully well. Spurs were partly to blame for their failure. They persisted in down-the-middle tactics when it was obvious of Duquemin was too slow and lingering to get the better of Falder. They would have done better to swing the ball out more to the wings and switch from their close-passing to a more open type of game.
Defence Took Honours
Chielf honours on the winning side went to the backs and halves, Falder was excellent in all he did always in the right spot at the right time, and the backs hardly ever put a foot wrong. Burnett still has a weakness for coming out when he is not absolutely sure of getting the ball, and occasionally dropped it in disconcerting fashion. Though he retrieved the position on all but one occasion three Jones times it was largely due to the fact that he Spurs’ forwards shot straight at him. Grant and Farrell played their parts well, Wainwright was a helpful auxiliary half-back as well as the most dangerous-looking forward and Fielding, Catterick and Eglington gave the Spurs no rest. Buckle has rarely been so subdued. He could do little right. Everton may not have been very polished or subtle, but they showed plenty of team spirit, struck to their task with great courage, and never left the visitors to settle down for a moment. Tottenham could only play as well as Everton allowed them. A few more displays like this and the Blues will soon be well clear of danger in the League table.

February 14, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
May Give Up Football
Business Offer
By Ranger
It is highly probable that Tommy Jones, Everton’s Welsh international centre half, who was recently placed on the transfer list by the Goodison club at his own request may give up League football in favour of a business career. Jones has had a number of business propositions put to him during recent months. One is particular which is now engaging his serious attention and which he may finally decide to accept, is more than usually attractive. A small syndicate of Welsh professional and business men are prepared to assist him to embark on this new departure. While it is not a condition of his acceptance that he should do so, the proposition also provides, if he so wishes, for a position as player-coach of a Welsh club at a substantial salary.
A Good Opportunity
Jones and his wife had a conference over the week-end with the sponsors of the idea, and, subject to the satisfactory ironing out of certain points it is likely they will decide to take the plunge. The business is one in which Mrs Jones could take an active part, in addition to her husband. The player himself feels that this is an opportunity too good to be turned down. If he does accept it, it will mean that Everton, who, I understand would require about £15,000 for his transfer, would not get anything. Jones could go as player-coach to a non-League side for next season without any fee being payable. Jones’s age has been wrongly stated recently in some papers. Actually he is 32, which is not old by today’s standards, and in Welsh football particularly, he would be good for several seasons yet. He would be a terrific attraction anywhere in the Principality and his inclusion would boast the gates of all matches in which he took part.

February 15, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
T.G. Jones, Everton and Welsh international centre half-back on the transfer list at his own request may leave big football for a business career combined with a little soccer, at weekends in North Wales. From Pwllhelis where Jones spent a great deal of his time last summer, comes a report that a syndicate of Welsh businessmen are prepared to back him as a Hotelier with the opportunity, if Jones wishes, of taking up a position as player-coach at the well appointed Pwillheli F.C ground, I understand that Jones feels that this offer is one too good to be turned down. Doctor Cecil Baxter, chairman of the Everton club, said last night “Jones has said nothing to us about the possibility of going out of League football. The position is that he is still on the transfer list at his own request. Up to date there have been no offers for him. Whether the dead-line date of signings, March 6 will bring anything further, I do not know.”
Now Aged 32
To people who have followed Jones career since he joined Everton from Wrexham it is surprising that a player of 32 and with some seasons of first-class football in him has not yet attracted the attention of other clubs. A team with Cup commitments and lacking a centre half would be an eager customer for his services. Maybe this will happen. Everton stand to lose a great deal if Jones and his wife decide on the Pwollhei offer. The club would not be recompensed if the player were to leave football, and that current rate’s he is at least in the £15,000 class. Jones lost his place in the Everton team first to fellow Welshman, Jack Humphreys and then to young Ted Falder, who appears to have made the position his own, it was Jones who discovered Falder in the R.A.F and recommended him to Everton.

February 19, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
The Everton team at Charlton tomorrow will not be announced until today. Lello is almost certain to return to the half-back line in which case Farrell would go forward again to the attack. Burnett who suffered a blow to the knee in the Cup-tie against Tottenham Hotspur is expected to be fit. If he is not Sagar would make a temporary come back. Charlton are as anxious as Everton to improve their position and have experimented with their inside forward Cullum a local boy will play inside right and Purves will go to inside left. Manager Jimmy Seed hopes that change will put more bite into the front line, Revell, the captain, resumes as right half-back after injury. Everton are unhappy memories of the former amateur centre forward Vaughan, whose sharp shooting has produced some telling goals in the past. It will be interesting to see how Falder faces this problem.

February 17, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
As Burnett leg injury has yielded to treatment, Everton, for their visit to Charlton, will field the same side as defeated Tottenham Hotspur last week. Lello is not yet thoroughly fit. Charlton are disturbed about their lowly position. They have never gone in for big money transfers, and earlier this season, Jimmy Seed, the man who brought them up from the Third to the First Division, publicly stated that he was prepared to stand or fall by the present Charlton staff. Since then, however, things have gone from bad to worse, and his laudable resolution may be weakening. Charlton have taken only a meager five points out of their last 14 games, during which they have scored 11 goals and had 24 put into their own net. But for the fact that they started the season reasonably well they would today be well down at the bottom. No club has fared so badly over the past three months. Yet when I saw Charlton play Liverpool at the Valley last November the home side was by no means a bad one. They had the Reds in trouble for the first half hour, and though they faded out afterwards, they always looked fairly dangerous. Everton can do themselves a very good turn by winning tomorrow, for it would still further widen the “moat” between themselves and the bottom three clubs. Providing the Blues can carry on with the rejuvenation process of recent weeks, plus - and this is important – more on-the-mark shooting, they should at least bag a point, and possibly get the maximum. Charlton; Bartram; Croker, Shreeve; Revell, Phipps, Utton; Hurst, Cullium, Vaughan, Purves, Kiernan. Everton; Burnett; Moore, Hedley; Grant, Falder, Farrell; Buckle, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, Eglington.

February 18, 1950. The Liverpool Football Echo
Goal by Athletic at 70 Minutes
Charlton 2, Everton 0
By Contact
Charlton Ath; Bartram, goal; Croker and Shreeve, backs; Revell (captain), Pillips, Ufton, Hurst, Cullum, Vaughan, Purves, and Kiernan, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Moore and Hedley, backs; Grant, Falder, and Farrell (captain), half-backs; Buckle, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.G. Williams, of Nottingham. Everton are to fall in line with Arsenal, West Ham, and other clubs who have their own treatment rooms. Manager Cliff Britton and a director today visited Highbury and West Ham headquarters to see how their own “hospital” is equipped and get the benefit of any advice these clubs were able to give. Everton chairman Dr. Baxter, will advise on the medical equipment necessary and soon Goodison Park will be equipped to deal expertly with all type of injury. Mr. Britton believes that electrical treatment will be very beneficial. At Highbury emissaries were also shown the latest version of a football with no lacing. Arsenal brought a sample from South American last summer. The virtue of the thing is that the ball is inflated by a needle and has the advantage of meeing no lacing. But as director Jack Sharp says, football has conservative ideas, and previous attempts to produce a laceless ball have failed. For the purposes of amateur clubs the cost of the new product might be prohibitive. Everton played their cup side, Lello still being unfit. I am told his injury is more difficult than it seemed at first and he is not likely to be in training again for some days at least. The weather was perfect, not too much sun, no wind, and wonderfully mild. The attendance was not more than 25,000 at the start. Everton were victims of a strange offside decision in the first minute after Catterick, Fielding and Eglington had worked the ball splendidly. First real chance came off a fine through pass by Vaughan. Hurst was only beaten by a fraction as he dashed through as Burnett came out and the goalkeeper lost the ball temporarily. While Farrell was off the field having his stocking tape attended to Hurst hit a long but powerful shot beyond the far angle –the first real shot of the day. Buckle was caught fairly and squarely offside after a Wainwright-Eglington interchange. Buckle from inside right, tried a low shot which was truly hit and on the mark, but which gave Bartram too clear and too long a view of it to be really dangerous. When Hurst centred the ball on to the top of the net a gap appeared in the netting and the game was stopped while Burnett did running repairs whilst hanging like a monkey on the bar.
Chance Lost
Chance of a lifetime came to Eglington when Catterick at outside right put into the goalmouth a low centre which Eglington must have turned into a goal had he even connected with it. His timing was wrong, and Croker smashed the ball safely with a hugh kick. Ufton, off a free kick, produced some real work for Burnett, but he held a useful shot quite easily. I have rarely seen a League game more like a friendly. Even when Buckle had the ball to his liking in the penalty area, and went on to deliver a pass full of promise no one could do anything useful about it. The only enlightening moment for ten minutes came when Cullum glanced a nice header and Burnett just got through to flick the ball over the top. Catterick did useful work on both wings and at this stage pulled the ball back for Eglington, who was coming in fast. It was not an easy chance and Eglington “shinned” the ball rather than kicked it, but it was well for Bartram that he happened to be in the right spot. Twice Vaughan was on the shooting range, once with a difficult screw shot and again with one which soared over the bar. Then Burnett knocked up and saved an almost point blank shot by Vaughan. He is always a menace to Everton. Everton were making chances, but were doing anything but use them. The game straggled on its uneventful way and remained unexciting.
Terrific Save
Falder did little wrong in an Everton defence which was not always impressive under pressure. Everton were completely out of luck at this stage in an astonishing incident. Wainwright left all alone and with Bartram to beat, his shot seemed certain to score, but Bartram flung himself to it and made a terrific one-handled save. Croker could have put the ball away for a corner as it rolled towards the post but, strangely did not, and Wainwright, followed up, got there first and had a second bite. Either Croker handled to prevent the ball crossing the line or the ball actually crossed the line. When the referee waved play on Wainwright looked staggered. Bartram argued no further, but went ahead joyous to make the clearance kick, well satisfied with his luck. At last Everton got started in combined mood and the game warmed up, through some strange decisions went in favour of Charlton.
Half-time; Charlton 0, Everton 0.
Wainwright went outside right to good effect twice in the early moments of the second half, but Buckle failed to collect one particularly good square pass. Charlton were still unconvincing, indeed their long-suffering followers must have been in a state of despair. Most of their moves were so obvious the Everton defence saw them from the start. Everton were close to scoring when Grant shot viciously but wide from the corner. Then Cullum, picking up a Vaughan back-heeled pass, drove a swirling ball to Burnett’s right hand. Burnett’s save was a grand save. Wainwright had one good shot charged down, and collected the rebound but shot this time over the bar. Charlton came into the picture and Burnett took and gave some bumps in Charlton’s attacks, which carried much menace. Fielding continued to dominate the other line and he dug up for Eglington some very acceptable passes. Fielding was welding the Everton side into something like its most recent self, and Charlton too were showing much more life when at 70 minutes Vaughan set the game alight with a headed goal. Final; Charlton 2, Everton 0. Attendance 30,000.

February 17, 150. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton Res; O’Neill, goal; Clinton and Rankin, backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Melville, half-backs; Corr, Higgins, McIntosh, Powell, and Parker, forwards. Aston Villa Res; Wakeman, goal; Lowe and Aldis, backs; Norman, Moss and Daly, half-backs; Canning, Howarth, Harrison, Higgins and Edwards, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Hughes (Stoke). Aston Villa had the better of a keen first half. In the first five minutes after narrowly missing the ball, Canning scored in the sixth minute of the game. Everton constantly attacked, forcing several corners. They were ably held by the defence. After thirty minutes play Everton failed to take advantage to equalize. Half-time; Everton Res 0, Aston Villa Res 1. Everton, through more direct in their methods and having much of the play, failed to take chances given them. After 75 minutes’ play Everton were still one down.
Letter’s Box
I wonder how many are left who watched Everton win the Cup in 1906, I was behind the goal when Sandy Young received a lovely pass from that great winger Jack Sharp and scored a beauty. Those were the days! 11s return including a big breakfast and a large plate of roast pork for dinner at the Crystal Palace and draught Bass 2d a glass –Fred Cooban.

February 20, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
Charlton Athletic 2, Everton 0
By Leslie Edwards
London’s latest view of the team which beat Tottenham mystified everyone, because both Everton and Charlton Athletic (who won their first League game this year) played so indifferently and without life. There were times when the mildness of the atmosphere to which the game was attained, made the whole business appear to be nothing more important than a match to end a season; Yet the points lost were terribly, vital for a side which faces Arsenal at Goodison Park, next Saturday and has some tough away fixtures to follow. Everton were the better of two poor sides, but they were too wasteful of chances. They were also victims of an incident in which Charlton appeared to concede a goal without playing penalty. Wainwright not offside in my view, stood not more than twelve yards out and with Bartram the only barrier hit a low shot which the goalkeeper pushed away paralled with the goal line, Croker had time to kick the ball into the next parish, but not sensing Wainwright was following up, covered the ball as it ran towards the dead ball line. By slipping a toot round him, Wainwright appeared to have the ball over the line before Bartram could grasp the ball and proceed joyous to complete a clearance.
The Goals
Having missed their way in this case, and having done everything save put the ball in the net, when goals were feed up and waiting for them. Everton found Vaughan out heading Burnett and Kiernan finding the narrowest channel through which to squeeze his shot for goal number two. By then it was all over. From the Everton standpoint there were several things in their favour. Falder played well, so did Moore, who improves with each match. And so most importantly, did Fielding who was suited by the firm ground and who “niggled” his accurate passes with perfect judgment and with the virtuosity of a Matthews. Buckle had moments of inspiration, but the attack as a whole, even with Catterick working finely and Wainwright working finely and Wainwright continuing brightly, was not nearly punishing enough. Looking at Charlton’s mediocrity one wondered how they managed to muster two goals of any sorts. Except for Vaughan and the live Kiernan (and even he was given unexpected right of way by Moore when scoring) there is nothing about the team to suggest they have more than remote hopes of not being one of the last two in the table when the season ends.

February 20, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton manager, Cliff Britton, took advantage of the club’s visit to London to see medical treatment rooms as used by Arsenal and West Ham, with a view to Goodison Park being equipped with the latest methods (diathermy, radiant heat, act) for making unfit players fit in the shortest space of time. (writes contact). Both clubs gave him the benefit of their experience in the use of electrical treatment, and doubtless space at Goodison Park has been ear-marked for what must be to all club’s today, a necessary adjunct to normal training routine. The expense involved is large, but by comparison with its return in enabling players to be fit for matches they would otherwise miss, it is a cheap form of rehabaliliation. And it can be used, with advantage, to keep in trim players injuries are superficial. Everton chairman Dr. Baxter will be able to advise the clubs on purchase of the equipment.
Laceless Ball
Mr. Britton was also impressed, at Highbury, with a new laceless football brought home by Arsenal from South American, and tried out with success in training. The aperture through which the ball is “needle” inflated can hardly be seen. The idea, apparently is an improvement on a similar one invented in America. Clubs are very conservative about equipment and for amateur club the necessity for sending the ball away to be reinfiated would make it prohibitively expense. There would seem to be no reason, why League clubs should not use the ball, if it is found better than those already used.
From the joy of Cup-tie success to the reality of relegation in one week was the jump Everton made when Charlton Athletic beat them by two goals to nil on Saturday. It was a damaging defeat, not only because Everton have played so much better since the turn of the year; but because Charlton are so obviously a side which will find great difficulty in keeping clear of relegation. Although they won, Charlton for all other purposes, did not play as well as Everton and if a few of the many chances which came to Everton had been taken, Charlton would have been beaten long before the end.
Thrown to Wind
Instead, first Vaughan and then Kiernan scored –and the defence was not blameless in either case – and a match which might have been won was thrown to the winds. Quite apart from Everton’s non-success, it was poor football with a sleeping draught until midway through the second half. Some Everton players performed with distinction, Moore, apart from one costly blunder, showed life and good anticipation and looks better and better almost match by match. Fielding, with some cute passes, opened up a poor defence quite readily, but Everton were not punishing enough to make anything of good opportunities. Falder up the Charlton inside forwards quite surely until Vaughan always something of a bogy man, leaped high to beat Burnett’s out-stretched hands and guild a Kiernan centre for the first goal. Kiernan hot an angled shot beyond Burnett for the second. Everton’s lucklessness arose when Wainwright followed up a shot half-saved by Bartram and poking his leg round the surprised Croker, contrived to put the ball over the line. The referee ignored Everton’s protests that a goal had been scored and signaled Bartram to complete his clearance –which he did with the delight of a man reprieved.

February 20, 1950. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Colleague Radar’s story from Charlton of the latest defeat of Everton savours of what might have been and so is not such cheerful reading. Here it is “Had not Everton suffered from an attack of chance-squander, they would have walked away with this game, as it was, they were beaten by a Charlton a long way inferior from the football purist’s standard, but which did at least take two second half opportunities. This was a strange affair, for it was not until the last 20 minutes that either side appeared to realize that League points were a dire necessity. The first half was entirely go-as-you-please, yet without exerting themselves the Everton forwards created enough clear shooting openings for them to have had the points signed and sealed. Charlton were a poor side and it was not until the 69th minute that Burnett failed to cut out Kiernan’s cross and the enterprising Vaughan’s head did the rest to enable him to become the first centre-forward to score against Falder. Six minutes later Kiernan took advantage of a Moore defensive slip to crack home, but even after that Everton could have saved the game. Fielding’s creative work provided scope for an efficient sharp-shooter, but what shot’s were made were confidently saved by Bartram. Everton’s failure forward were due to a lack of punch, persistence in making the extra unnecessary pass and delay to invite the tackle of intervention. Taking point after the game was whether, Wainwright had succeeded in forcing the ball over the line in the first half. Wainwright claimed emphatically that it was at least a foot over, while Bartram was equally emphatic that the line was never crossed. “The one Everton department which could not be faulted was the intermediate line, Farrell and Grant were excellent, while Falder rare’s allowed Vaughan (one of the game’s greatest leaders) to escape his clutches. Neither Moore nor Hedley were quite as convincing as usual. Catterick, more as a provider than a marksman, and Fielding were the best forward units in a game which Everton threw away because of missed chances.”

February 24, 1950. The Evening Express
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Everton today secured the transfer of Oscar Hold, centre-forward or inside forward from Notts County. Hold was with Aldershot and Norwich City before going to Notts County two seasons ago, but last summer he declined to resign for the County and went out of League football, joining Chelmsford, the Southern League club. Manager Cliff Britton has had Hold under review for some time, although he had a good appreciation of Hold’s value for they were in the same regimental team during the war. Hold has plenty of experience and is strong, capable and willing, who should serve Everton well. This is Mr. Britton’s third major signing since arriving at Goodison Park, the others being Jim McIntosh and Ted Buckle. Hold plays for the Reserves at Burnley tomorrow.
George Burnett, who has been suffering from a knee injury came through fitness tests this morning, and so Everton will be unchanged for the third successive match when Arsenal oppose them at Goodison tomorrow. Everton; Burnett; Moore, Hedley; Grant, Falder, Farrell; Buckle, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding, Eglington. Arsenal will be without Logie against Everton, and Irishman Kelly makes his Football League debut as deputy. Arsenal; Swindin; Scott, Barnes; Forbes, Compton L.), Mercer; Cox, Kelly, Roper, Lishman, Compton (Denis).

February 24, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Everton’s Hopes Against Arsenal
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s position in the League table is such that they are by no means certain yet to avoid a late on struggle against the threat of relegation. With two-thirds of the programme completed they have only three points in hand over Manchester City next to the bottom, and have a very stiff lot of fixtures ahead of them. The trouble with the Blues is that although they sometimes play good approach football their inability to get the ball into the net makes it all count for nothing. Every nerve will have to be strained if the position is to be improved. It is foolish to be complacent about it. Although their Cup successes have brightened the outlook. Everton have not made the progress in the League chart one would have liked. They had a spell just before Christmas when they averaged a point a game for eight matches. Since then they have gained only two points from the next four encounters. Arsenal are going to take some beating tomorrow. Possessed of a solid defence and a well balanced and forceful attack, Arsenal constitutes very formidable opposition. Defence may enable Everton to draw but they cannot win without goals. Only Birmingham and Manchester City have scored less goals this season than Everton. The Blues’ shots on the mark in recent games at Goodison have been few and far between. True, there has been a welcome revival of willingness to shoot, but efforts off the target will never get goals. While it is better to have shot and missed than never to have shot at all, even that is little use if the goalkeeper can stand and watch the ball pass outside the woodwork. Everton have not registered a league victory this season against any London side, in strange contrast to their cup successes. Their best efforts have been two drawn games with Fulham. Let’s hope that today’s will see a definite turning of fortune’s wheel in the Blues’ favour.

February 25, 1950. The Liverpool Football Echo
Arsenal Defence Was Well Balanced
Everton nil, Arsenal 1
By Contact
Arsenal’s victory was a triumph for Joe Mercer, and for a wonderful defence. Everton; Burnett, goal; Moore and Hedley, backs; Grant, Falder, and Farrell (captain), half-backs; Buckle, Wainwright, Catterick, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Arsenal; Swindin, goal; Scott and Barnes, backs; Forbes, Compton (L.), and Mercer (J) (captain), half-backs; Cox, Kelly, Roper, Lishman, and Compton (D.), forwards. Referee; Mr. J.W. Topliss, Grimsby. Arsenal were without Lewis and Logie, their inside forwards at Goodison Park, a young Irishman Kelly, coming in for Logie at inside right and Lishman taking Lewis’s place. Arsenal started brightly and Denis Compton had to come back to help the Arsenal defence, electing at one moment to pass back to Swindin when the slightest mistake must have cut a goal. Then Catterick and Eglington got together to good purpose and Eglington’s sharply taken shot skidded low across the face of the goal not more than a few feet from the far post. Mercer then bent his slim body to charge down a clearance to strave off an Everton attack in which Arsenal were never seen. Denis Compton has put on some weight round the beam but he cut and carved his way to a pass to Roper, who was on the way to threading his way through when Everton finally stopped him.
Arsenal Force Corner
Kelly is a small man, and some of the Arsenal clearances in his direction were wasted because he just could not get up to out head Everton’s half backs. Catterick with the ball hanging near the touchline, contrived to lift into the centre a high ball which Swindin caught as he evaded Eglington’s challenge. Then Roper, offered up a lovely pass to Kelly, whose shot was deflected by either Moore of Falder for a corner. From this Lishman headed in a bounding ball which Burnett mis-handled. Catterick turning back with his head a centre from the right offered Eglington the choicest of chances plumb in front of goal, but Eglington, who seemed rather too anxious completely kicked over the ball. So far Arsenal had been much up against it.
Catterick Hurt
Leslie Compton once came into the crowd’s displeasure when Catterick fell injured after collision with him, and it was strange to find Joe Mercer telling his own side to kick the ball out of play so that the trainer could come on, calling on Harry Cooke even before the referee had decided the trainer was necessary. On a heavy greasy ground Arsenal appeared slower than Everton, and Barnes and Scott had to be particularly accurate in some rather desperate tackling.
“Slash” by Compton
Winger Cox took the throw-in and from one of them obtained a corner, taking it himself and slinging the ball to where Moore was able to head away, but the astute Denis Compton stood back waiting for the clearance header and slashed in a shot. Although this was wide it opened the way for Kelly but his shot too was very much off target. Mercer once went up with fire among his forwards and later lost the ball to Fielding in a clinch, Fielding going on unopposed to make a skidding shot which George Swindin, handled gingerly. As well he might. Swindin and Wainwright collided as the goalkeeper came out to make a punch six yards from his goal and Swindin appeared seriously hurt. Happily he was able to resume almost immediately after treatment.
Lively Wingers
The Fielding-Eglington wing was doing unexpectedly well and even though they interchanged positions they went ahead merrily, Eglington, from inside-right providing Catterick with a made-to-measure through pass from which the centre-forward hit a good low shot to Swindin’s left hand. Swindin made his save all right, but pushed the ball out to Buckle. There was a good chance of Catterick scoring off Buckle’s inward pass, but Swindin and the defence crowded him out.
Good Scoring Chance
Arsenal’s best scoring chance came when Moore slipped up and Roper went on alone and shaping as though to make one of his big shots. No shot arose, because Moore coming across just got there as the Arsenal man was about to make his effort. Everton still seemed much faster and Grant did some useful dispossession. Compton was continually flicking the ball inwards with beautiful timing and Forbes used the ball with fine judgment. Arsenal, gradually getting into their stride, might easily have scored when a Farrell misheader let in Kelly, who tried to lob the ball into the far angle and deposited it, not in the back of the net, but among the photographers.
Entertaining Football
It was good entertaining football with Everton playing a hundred per cent, better than they had at Charlton. A wonderful back-heel touch by Lishman led to Cox going on and being fouled, but Arsenal made nothing of the award, and it was not long before Leslie Compton was leaving Wainwright to go on the outside and curl a ball dangerous close to under the crossbar as it flashed over. Arsenal who were improving had a causally when Cox came in to challenge Burnett and missing the goalkeeper, deposited himself on his back against the post. Within a few minutes to be precise at 38 minutes, Roper delivered a looping centre in front of goal which Cox flicked in promptly, Burnett’s hands touched the ball, but could not stop it. Compton headed on to the top of the bar and Lishman missed a possible chance in this Arsenal surge of supremacy and Falder only stopped Roper by a foul very near the penalty line. Arsenal were now playing good stuff, even though their chance-taking was not severely practical.
Half-time; Everton 0, Arsenal 1.
Catterick began the second half by picking up a half chance and slamming the ball hard and not very wide of goal. The Arsenal covering was such that more often than not there were two men making the tackle, and at times this was almost an embarrassment rather than a help.
Mercer in Command
When the game seemed to go a little dead Mercer was to be found commanding his troops to get more devil into their play and marshalling his forces. Big Leslie Compton’s sure kicking whether on the turn or not, was a feature, and one volleyed clearance of his caused the crowd to gasp. It was as well Falder turned with the side of his foot a header which was coming through nicely for Roper and cut out what assuredly looked like Arsenal goal number two. Cox was a most workmanlike winger with the necessary speed to make Hedley’s job no sinecure Everton fans were providing one of those pin-drop silence of apprehension, and Arsenal were going all one way, although Compton had to get his big body in front of a close-in Wainwright shot. Buckle had two shots, one blocked out and the other one saved by Swindin in an Everton spurt. When Cox caught Hedley facing his own goal he charged him from behind and went on to deliver a centre from which Denis Compton tried to volley a spectacular goal, which was quite near.
Supreme Confidence
Arsenal, with reverse headers to their own goalkeeper, appeared to be treating the game with extreme confidence. Only a Buckle run and a wide left-foot shot disturbed their equilibrium. Roper fired in almost from the left wing the best shot of the match, but Burnett had it covered. On the other hand Wainwright, by kind permission of Buckle ducking his head was given a first-rate opening to score and made a hash of it.
A Penalty Incident
Arsenal and Mercer were involved in a penalty incident when Mercer was adjudged to have brought Buckle down almost on the goal line at the edge of the penalty area. As it happened the award meant nothing, because Wainwright’s shot was collected almost impudently by Swindin. Catterick was in the wars again after Burnett had missed a corner from the right and Denis Compton had centred the ball to an almost open goal. Cox having beaten Hedley, went through with his intended centre so heartily his boot almost found the top of Peter Farrell’s head.
Masterly Mercer
Wainwright drifting in get there before Compton to take a through pass, but Swindin was there for an easy pick-up. Mercer was masterly in most of the things he did and that Arsenal were still only one in front was due to Roper holding the ball so closely to himself.
Swindin’s Dive
A Mercer shot was uncommon but not more uncommon than the fact that in throwing the ball away Burnett twisting his damaged left knee and had to receive attention. The match was worthwhile if only for the headlong dive, far out in the penalty area, of Swindin to make a glorious intervention at the feet of Eglington. Time was fleeting and so was Swindin when coming far out again to take the ball from the head of Catterick. Leslie Compton made a colossal blunder when turning the ball back to his own goalkeeper and doing it so tenderly that Wainwright seemed almost certain to score, but again Swindin, that brave man of football, was there to scoop the ball to the touchline. Final; Everton 0, Arsenal 1. Official Attendance 43,632.

February 25, 1950, The Liverpool Football Club
In a game which sparkled with incident from the kick-off, Oscar Hold, Everton’s new signing from Notts County was the centre of attraction, but he was allowed little scope by the Burnley centre half Spencer. Under pressure from a clever Burnley attack Saunder’s tried to put the ball back to O’Neill, the goalkeeper Wilson intervened and turned the ball into the net. Half-time; Burnley Res 1, Everton Res 0.

February 27, 1950. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
The Everton team I saw beaten by a goal by Arsenal at Goodison Park has its own double in view, but one “leg” concerns not topping Division 1 doubt avoiding one of the last two places. Until now Everton have fared fairly well at home. This Arsenal defeat after the Charlton experience came as a jolt and was doubly vexatious because the Everton which began so brightly and full of promise eventually became a side held almost contemptuously. If Arsenal had not won I am afraid it would have been because they assessed Everton’s rallying power, too lightly. The penalty award to Everton, when Mercer and Buckle fell in a goalline incident in the second half was a foretaste of how the course of the game could have been changed, but Wainwright’s penalty taking this time, was almost nebulous and a rather astonished Swindin found himself not taking the ball from the net, but accepting it into willing hands.
Cheeky Reverses
Arsenal by reason of some cheeky reverse passes, nearly missed their way and only a Swindin was capable of coming out at risks of injury in repair damage of his sides, own making those three late cases apart, the Everton forwards, who played well up to a point left Swindon to walk his beat in what I imagine was a vain attempt to keeping his circulation moving. Arsenal are not the side they were, but they are a very fair limitation on Everton without their Logie and Lewis in side so weakened does well to win 1-0 anywhere they looked impressive, mostly by the extraordinary live and fast winning of Cox, and by a defence which was learned is, covering up from the Tarleton book, indeed there were times when the ball was so surrounded by Arsenal; there was an embarrassment in numbers. And marshalling his forces like the wise captain he is Mercer spent his time spreading the ball wisely and equally speeding gloom among the marks of the 43,000 who were left in no doubt that Mercer today is no less effective than the Mercer who was. The Comptons, too, played their part-the giant Leslie in subduing the hard working Catterick and broad-beamed, Denis in his inimitable winging way with the ball moved inches and the body feinted this way or that to make an opening where none seemed possible. Roper, a grand shot never showed this force because after easily moments he never varied his policy from the down-the-middle individual run, which Falder and others cut short in due course. Everton were shy of shots, and in possession when facing the Arsenal wailed-up goal looked up in vain to places to use the ball wisely, Burnett one of those rare backs who like to keep the ball in play had a brilliant match, and Laurlie Scott reported not to be quite fit, played as well as even.
• Burnley Res 1, Everton Res 0
• Newton Y.M.C.A 2, Everton “A” 4
• Everton “B” 1, Prescott Cables Res 1

February 27, 1950. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton’s 1-0 defeat at Goodison was their sixth at the ground, and certainly gives rise to some concerns for the Blues must now average a point a match for the remainder to reach last season’s safety margin of 34 points. Everton’s position was eased by further defeats for Charlton and Birmingham and the fact that Manchester City dropped another home point. The retention of all outstanding home points should be good enough to see the Blues through but it still not be easy seeing that the clubs due here are Chelsea, Burnley, Blackpool, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester City and Birmingham City. Yet I contend a repetition of the splendid football shown against Arsenal on Saturday will ensure a feeling of comfort by Easter. Such football did merit some tangible reward. It is not my intention to try to gloss over another disheartening defeat, but this was splendid football from the Blues, who should, and would with the slightest luck, have won the game in the first 25 minutes, when they had Arsenal’s great defence running around in circles. The players had good ideas which they exploited accurately, and then they would lose their way n front of goal. Everton’s finishing was not good, and Eddie Wainwright’s even had a penalty saved by Swindin. In that, coupled with Arsenal’s complete efficiently in defence once they had taken the lead, you have the reasons for Everton’s failure. The goal by Cox in 38 minutes was an unsatisfactory sort of affair. Ted Falder’s one faulty touch enabled Roper to centre, and Burnett elected to stay on his line instead of moving to take the low centre, and so Cox’s half hit hook became a winner. Burnett got his left hand to the ball, but could not keep it out. It was Swindin’s anticipation that enabled him to save the penalty. George sensed that Wainwright was shooting to Swindon’s left and so he dived that way, and just contrived to beat the ball out to bring a look of mixed surprise and joy to his face. Swindin was the main barrier to Everton for he made great saves in the first half from Catterick’s easily the Blues best forward and Wainwright but an awkward bounce of the ball robbed Eglington of a certainly, and Leslie Compton’s stomach took another winner from Buckle. Everton, however, wasted chances by faulty shooting and lost openings through keeping it too close but those Arsenal legs, bodies and feet always seemed to be getting in the way at the wrong moment for the Blues.

February 27, 1950. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Tommy Jones is now definitely going ahead with his plans to take over at Pwilheli residential hotel. The draft contract for the purchase of the business has been completed, the deposit paid and he expects to take possession before the end of March. Jones is very keen to make good in his new profession, and I am sure he will. He and his wife are going into it with the determination to succeed but with no misappreciation about the fact that they will have to work hard. Though Tommy feels a tinge of regret at cutting off his senior career, which is natural after having been the idol of the Goodison Park crowd for so long he say the offer was so attractive and secures his future so firmly that it was just impossible to turn it down. I am sure his many admirers will join with me in wishing him the best of luck in his new sphere. Jones gave untold pleasure to thousands of football “fans” during his career. Now he seeks to please patrons in a different capacity.
Never Rains But –
Sometimes there are obvious reasons why certain sides are doing badly. Managers can tackle that sort of problem in various ways. The most disturbing puzzle is when a reasonably fair-looking side can do nothing right, and the harder the attempts to stop the rot the more the luck seems to delight in being perverse. Everton see in the plight just now. Some of their performances lately have been quite good up to a point. But when they reach the penalty area, chances are missed which in normal circumstances with nothing special depending on them, would almost certainly produce goals. Two incidents cost them two points against Arsenal. First there was Falder’s slip- the only blemish on an excellent display –which brought Arsenal’s first goal, and then Wainwright’s failure from the penalty spot. For half an hour Everton were the more dangerous side, and had the run of the ball favoured them they might have been two up at the interval. Instead Arsenal had their goal handed to them on a plate. Even in the second half Everton had most scoring chances, yet just couldn’t turn them to good account. There seems to be some sort of hoodoo on them once they get inside the penalty area.
The Main difference between the sides was that Arsenal seemed to be playing just a bit within themselves, and were not unduly perturbed how the result went, whereas Everton were so desperately anxious to win that they seemed afraid of doing the wrong thing. Two frequently, also they got rid of the ball as though it was red-hot ad at times there was so much concentration on defence that when the forwards did get away there always seemed two red shirts to every blue one. Burnett had far less to do than Swindin, who made some courageous saves late on. The Everton backs, if not quite so stylish as Arsenal’s were just as effective, but the visitors had the pull at wing half, where Mercer in particular gave a brilliant display, never putting a pass wrong all through. What a pity he was ever allowed to leave Goodison. The Arsenal attack was more balanced than Everton’s. Eglington had the right idea in opening up play with sweeping crossfield passes. Unfortunately, Buckle did not respond. He had a bad day. Catterick was a worry to Leslie Compton, though the latter’s commanding heights always turned the trick when the ball was in the air. Unlucky though Everton were, the stark fact remains that two more home points have gone away. And with such a stiff away programme that sort of thing cannot continue without danger.

February 28, 1950. The Evening Express
Memories of 1933 Winning Final
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Everton, in search of cup glory, take a leaf out of their 1933 cup-winning book for Saturday’s sixth round tie with Derby County at the Baseball Ground. They have selected Buxton as their stepping-off ground for the game. It was from Buxton that Everton travelled to Wembley to beat Manchester City 3-0 in Merseyside’s last great cup year. It is true that the Friday night was spent at Deepdale. Dorking but it was at the Derbyshire Spa that the final touches were put on the traning and when the Blues steamed out of Buxton station, Wembley bound, it was to the accompaniment of engine whistles for signals and cheers. Manager Cliff Britton was a player at the time, but he will not be anticipating any such send-off when his players leave for Derby on Saturday morning, for the Buxton people on this occasion will be Derby minded. Still the memories of that 1933 visit cling and no doubt Trainer Harry Cooke will ensure that one of the 1933 Wembley towels will be packed in his skip –just for luck. Team selection should not give either Liverpool or Everton much worry.

February 1950