Everton Independent Research Data


January 2, 1906. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The New Year was ushered in at Goodison Park yesterday with a visit from Bury. The recent performances of both teams –Bury's clever victory over the Wednesday at Sheffield, and Everton remarkable five goals against Middlesbrough –undoubtedly lent additions interest to the content. With one exception, the Blues relied on the same team as did duty on Saturday. R. Balmer was suffering from an injured ankle, his place being taken by Crelly. A fine morning gave way to a wet afternoon, and miserable drizzle was falling when play began before a holiday crowd of 12,000 spectators. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Scott goal, W. Balmer, and Crelly, backs Booth Taylor (Captain), and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Bury: - Raeside goal, McMahon and Lindsay, backs Thornton, Davidson, and Johnson half-backs, Glidea, Hibbert, Bevan, Kay, and Hodgkinson, forwards It will be hoped that Bury rank included an ex-Manchester City player –McMahon. They commenced operations from a throw in on the right. The ball was passed out to Donnachie, who got in a capital run, and centre, but Hardman missed converting. It was a glorious opportunity as the Evertonians had an open goal. Bury worked their way back to the centre, where a free kick against Wilson aided them, but Crelly stopped the right wing pair by kicking out. Following this, Everton put on tremendous pressure, and after Lindsay had nearly kicked through his own goal, Hardman got hold a drove a sledge hammer shot right into Raeside's hands. Again Raeside saved, and the Shakers travelled away on the left. The Everton defence was too good, however, and Donnachie flashed away on the wing and put in a fine centre, which Hardman failed to reach, and the ball passed out. The Blues attack here about was of the keenest order, and time after time did the Bury goal escape; one hard drive from Hardman just missing its billet. Booth cleared a free kick against Young for, handling, and then Wilson and Hardman bustled up the left, but, unfortunate, ran the ball over the goal line. Donnachie and Bolton were the next to become prominent, and from the latter's centre, Young was well placed, but obviously offside. Following that the Bury forwards got under way and Hibbert created a diversion by putting in a most difficult shot, which Scott only partially saved, and for a moment the home goal was in extreme danger, when Balmer effected a clearance. This was the first time the "Shakers" had threatened danger, but the effort spurred them on, and a minute later Hodgkinson centred admirably to Glides, who, however finished with a feeble shot, which Scott saw safely outside. Bury still kept up the pressure, and so warm was their attack that Balmer conceded a corner. Booth had the better of the Bury left wing, and Hardman made a faulty pass which led up to another Bury attack, Balmer eventually clearing and putting his right wing in possession. Donnachie, however, ran the ball out. Young was next given an opening, but he dallied and the opportunity was lost. A moment later, however, Wilson tried to get in, but his shot went wide. Balmer splendidly took a free kick to Everton, but the Bury defenders cleared. The Blues came again, and Hardman and Wilson worked to some purpose, so that the latter very promptly put in a shot, which Young just missed taking on the run. Everton maintained their advanced position, and Booth got the ball over to Hardman with a clever header. The amateur just missed the mark by inches. This was supplemented by good work on the Everton right, and Donnachie gave to Bolton, who grazed the side of the upright with a good effort. Bury next attack, but Balmer and Crelly readily repulsed the invaders and Everton once more worked into the visitors quarters where Young was guilty of a faulty pass, and then failed to take up Donnachie's centre. Both teams were putting in splendid work, and the game was remarkably fast considering the heavy nature of the ground. The Bury forwards were again in evidence, and Hodgkinson got in a beautifully accurate centre, which Crelly headed away. Johnston caught the return, and again put his forwards on the move, so that Kay tested Scott, with a low shot, which the Irishman safely handled. At the other end the Everton forwards admirably served by the home halves, gave Raeside and his backs an anxious time, but try as they would they could not find a weak spot in the defence. Tom Booth several times tried to score on his own, but his effort to drive the leather through a perfect sea of legs invariably failed. Bury were attacking when the interval arrived, Half-time Everton nil Bury nil.

During the interval the attendance had increased to close on 20,000. Rain was still falling when Young restarted and the conditions were the reverse of pleasant. The opening stages were in favour of the Blues, and from a centre by Bolton, Young missed an opening after McMahon had miskicked. Bury retaliated and Bevan slashed the ball out to Hodgkinson, but it was left to Kay to put in a centre, after beating Crelly, and Hodgkinson, who had taken up a position in the centre, sent a few inches wide of the post. Then Everton worked down on the left, and a centre from Hardman was headed out when Booth taking up the return, sent yards wide. A clever run by Gildea gave Bevan an opening, but the ball rolled harmlessly over the line. Following upon this the ball was put into the centre for Young, who cleverly evaded the visitors defence, and finished with a low shot, which Raeside partially saved at full length. Donnachie kept the ball from going outside and sent over to Hardman, who again tested Raeside with a really difficult shot, which the Bury custodian saved admirably. After Gildea had failed to beat Scott, the Everton forwards literally swarmed round Raeside's charge. Shots from all quarters were rained in upon the Bury custodian who anticipated his opponent's intentions with rare judgement. He appeared to be everywhere at once, and no matter at what angle the ball was propelled goalwards Raeside was in evidence with a clever save. One shot from Bolton was extremely awkward to deal with. After momentarily releasing the ball from his hold he again caught the leather and cleared. Wilson was prominent in leading up attacks on the Bury goal, and on one occasion he cleverly threated his way past all opposition and then only yielded to the constant attentions of the Bury defenders. Lindsay kicking clear. Still Everton persisted and Donnachie gave Young an almost unprecedented opportunity of opening from a pass, when "Sandy" much to the disgust of the Everton supporters, lifted the ball high over the bar, with only the custodian in front of him. There was no denying the fact that Everton at this stage were enjoying by far the best of the game. The attack was being pressed home with such persistency that it would have been a miracle had the Bury defence failed to yield. The visitor's defence was pressed on all sides. Young eventually forced an opening, beating Raeside with a shot, which gave the keeper no possible chance of saving. Bury forwards made several flashes towards the Everton goal, and long passes were always a source of danger. In the closing stages Bury strove hard to equalise, and gained two corners in quick succession, both of which proved unproductive. Result Everton 1, Bury nil.

January 2 1907. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 17)
At Bury, on ground partially covered with snow, and before about 4,000 spectators. For the first ten minutes Bury monopolized the play, and then the visitors breaking away Wilson tested Mearns with a long shot. A few minutes later Bury scored from a penalty kick award against Wright, and thirty minutes from the start Bowden scored a scored. The state of the ground greatly interfered with the play. Half-time Bury 2 Everton nil. Play in spite of the adverse circumstances continued vigorous. Everton adopted the one back game with anything but success. Bradley scored twice and Warburton once for Bury within fifteen minutes of the resumption, each goal being the result of clever individual work. Sloan affected a brilliant save from Kilbourne. The game continued largely in Bury favour, though Jones scored for Everton fifteen minutes from the finish. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Stevenson backs Chadwick Wright, and Donaldson, half-backs Donnachie, Graham, Jones, D Wilson and Butler, forwards.

January 3, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 18)
Player at Rossendale, on a very heavy ground. Straight from the kick off, Everton scored through Jones, but Rossendale, then attacked strongly, and Ingham equalising after seven minutes play. The game was strenuously contested, but accurate football was out of the question. Rossendale scored a second goal from a corner. Half-time Rossendale 2 Everton 1, Final Result Rossendale United 3, Everton 2. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Stevenson, backs, Black, Wright, and Donaldson half-backs Thomas, Rouse Jones D. Wilson, and Butler, forwards.

January 5, 1907. The Liverpool Football Echo.
Played at Goodison-park. Teams : - Everton: - Depledge, goal, Strettell, and Barlow, backs, Blacks, Wright, and Donaldson half-backs, Thomas Graham, Dorward, Cooke, and Butler, forwards. Tranmere Rovers: - Robertson goal, Lee, and Ingham, backs, Hilton, Pinford, and Milner half-backs, Kerr, Gilertson, Newman, White, and Dobson forwards. The Everton forwards were too clever for their opponents, but their clever footwork served no practical purpose, an while trying to improve what under ordinary conditions was an idea position, the Rovers defence had time to recover and clear. Had the Everton attack contained an ounce of dash they must have scored early in the game. On the other hand, the Rovers were not inclined to mince matters and Newman cleverly evaded Strettell a vigilance and got in a shot which finished wide. The game was contested in a typical friendly fashion, and quite failed to provide the excitement so dearly loved by the average enthusiast. As an exhibition the game was probably interesting. Depledge handled once in the first twenty minutes from Milner a little diversion, which helped to keep the spectators from yawning, was caused by Gilbertson and White getting in shots, which caused some anxiety to Depledge. The custodian twice brought of full-length saves. The forwards play of the Rovers was in marked contrast to that of Everton. The Evertonians wanted to walk the ball into the net, while the Rovers were content to get within striking distance, and then pour in a heavy broadside. It was probably fortunate for Everton that the Rovers got few chances to shoot. A spirit forty-five end with no score. Both sides put more energy into their play after the interval. Dorward scored for Evertonan Gilbertson for the Rovers. Everton monopolised the attack, save for an occasional run by the visitors from a long return Depledge made several lucky clearances, and Barlow was not too safe under pressure. In every department Everton were superior to their opponents. Their could do everything but scored once. Final Everton 1, Tranmere 1.

January 7, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Games between Everton and Preston North End have invariably produced strenuous contests, full of excitement and good football. It is certain however, that no such regrettable incident has been associated with their meeting as that which characterised the concluding stages of Saturday's match at Deepdale. Taylor of Everton and Rodway of Preston should have been ordered off the field. Unfortunately such was the case the crowd lost their tempers. They howled at and jeered the referee (Mr. H. Pollitt of Manchester).

What was it all about? Well it all arose out of a penalty kick, which the referee awarded Everton in the last couple of minutes of the game. Everton showing the more classy football, were on level terms with they opponents, and were making desperate efforts to obtain both points. The North End defence were hard pressed, and Young was forcing his way past all opposition when he was badly brought to earth by Lavery. Certainly he sledded along the ground over the dreaded line, but the spectators were of opinion that the offence had been committed outside the penalty area. Great therefore was their indignation when the referee awarded a penalty kick . However, the kick was taken by Settle, who shot low at McBride, who held the ball. Then as far as could be seen in the groom, some of the Everton men rushed at the goalkeeper, and players on both sides were mixed up together, a free fight ensuring. Some of the spectators tried to push onto the ground, put ultimately the referee gave both Taylor and Rodway, marching orders . The Everton captain was hootest, and Rodway was cheered –such was the temper of the crowd. Only a few more kicks at the ball, and the whistle blew for the final. Then the people poured on to the field, but Mr. Tom Houghton the well known North End director, safely escorted the referee to his dressing room. There was no mistaking the hostilities of the crowd, and as already indicated, it required not a little tact to induce them to proceed homewards. Such a scene fortunately is of rare occurrence at League football grounds. Probably McBride's usual tendency towards holding the ball too long, and equally probably the neglect of the referee to blow his whistle, when the custodian was best assailed may or may not have given rise to all the bother. In any case the proceedings were very regrettable, and the pity is, apart from Rodway, that one of the veterans of the football world in Jack Taylor should have been ordered off the field, with some sentence of suspensions to follow.

Leaving out the startling incidents of the closing stages. North End were lucky to emerge from the struggle with a point. One would have imagined that the crowd, whatever they might have through about the referee's decision would have been delighted at the fact that the penalty kick was not turned to account. Certainly Everton would have got no more than their deserts had they won by two goals to one. In the first half hour of the game particularly, they were immeasurably superior. They were all over their opponents, trickier and by far clever in the manipulation of the ball, but this was their only faulty, Young was the only one to scored a goal. Afterwards the dashing tactics of the Prestonians led to an equalising goal. The second half was even, Scott several times was tested, but his experience was not so severe as that of McBride, whose charge underwent marvellous's escapes. Still, not another goal was registered. The pity of it all is that unseemly demonstration at the finish. Unfortunately it will now to come before the powers that be, and two brilliant exponent of the game will have to be punished. Teams : - Preston North End: - McBride, goal, Lavery, and Rodway, backs, McLean, Hunter, and Lyon, half-backs, Becton, Wilson, Pearson, J. Bell (Captain), Danson, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs Booth, Taylor (Captain), and Chadwick, half-backs Donnachie, Bolton, Young Settle, and G. Wilson forwards. Referee H. Pollitt.

Athletic News - Monday 07 January 1907
On these facts Everton argued that Manchester City had willfully broken a valid agreement. By signing the transfer to Everton the City had absolutely diverted themselves of all pecuniary interest Burgess, and by that document all their right in him passed to Everton. There remained a duty on the part of the City to refuse anyone the privilege of approaching the player in order that Everton’s endeavours to secure him should not be prejudiced or adversely affected, and this the City repeatedly undertook to do. The promise had not been kept, and any allegation of want of diligence on their part was ill-founded. When Everton did discover Burgess—and that absolutely unaided—on December 5, he had signed for the United, so that they had no more than two days within which to try and get him. How could it be contended that Everton had been dilatory when official permission was undoubtedly given by the City to the United on December 1? Anxious as they were, Everton used all due diligence, but Manchester was not a toy village, and the trail was difficult-probably made so. The more natural deduction was that as eaten bread was soon forgotten, Manchester City, finding that the engagement of Burgess by any club other than Everton would result in a substantial financial gain, the temptation to seise it had proved too strong. Everton submitted that that was a very sound reason for all that transpired. Burgess himself had not told Everton that he would not join them. This was a grave breach of agreement, and Manchester City were not entitled to reap any advantage by it. They asked that the amount of transfer fee agreed to be paid by Manchester United to the City be deemed to be the price to be paid to Everton by the City for the transfer of Hill, and they applied that the money should be paid to them accordingly, Manchester City, in reply, contended that they merely undertook that Everton should have the first chance, and not that they should refuse to give permission to any other club to approach Burgess. In answer to a question from the Management Committee, Manchester United stated that they obtained sanction to negotiate with Burgess on Saturday. December 1.
The Finding of the Committee
As Mr. J.J. Bentley, of Manchester United and Dr. Baxter, of Everton, were interested, they did not adjudicate on this matter.  Mr. John Lewis presided over the proceedings, and the official decision was given as follows;--
That, in the opinion of the committee, Manchester City F.C., did not carry out the arrangements entered into with Everton F.C., inasmuch as they did not allow a reasonable time to the Everton Club to approach and sign on Burgress.  We are therefore, of opinion that Manchester City F.C should not benefit by any increased transfer fee received by them for the transfer of Burgess; but as Everton F.C., were prepared in November to accept the price agreed upon for Hill’s transfer, we are of opinion that Everton should not benefit beyond such price.  The committee therefore resolve that any fee received by the Manchester club beyond the amount agreed upon for Hill’s amongst Manchester and United. 

Athletic News - Monday 07 January 1907
[By Pavo.]
The League leaders found in Preston North End foemen worthy of their prowess, and the result of one of the keenest games seen at Deepdale for many a day was a draw, each side scoring a goal. The eleven or twelve thousand spectators had plenty of strenuous football for their money, and it was a great pity that so hard a battle should have been marred at the finish. The game was within five minutes of its conclusion when Young, the Everton centre-forward, broke away, and, as he was beating the last back—Lavery—that player tripped him. As the offence appeared to be outside the penalty area a free kick was expected, but the referee held that the offence happened inside, and a penalty kick was given. Settle shot straight and low, M‘Bride stopping the ball, and falling on it. Then came a severe tussle the in the goalmouth, ended by the referee's whistle.  Intense excitement prevailed, and it was evident that something serious had happened in the melee, for, before the game was resumed. Rodway and Taylor left the field, having been ordered off. The allegation, I believe, is that these two plavers exchanged blows. It was a dismal ending to the struggle. There were still a few minutes to play, but all thoughts were of the unfortunate occurrence mentioned. Many of the spectators were greatly annoyed, und crowded on to the field at the close, but Mr. Pollitt walked off unmolested by side of Bell, the Preston captain.
Skill and Dash Bring A Goal Each
The early stages of the play gave little indication of the close struggle to follow, for the quickness of the Everton forwards and their artistry were infinitely superior to anything the North Enders were doing this time. Settle was greatly to the fore with that delightful footwork of which he is a master, and he and George Wilson led several smart attacks. After just over a quarter of an hour the superiority of the visitors found expression in goal, and though the Prestonians claimed, apparently with reason, that the offside rule had been infringed, the referee thought otherwise. As his opinion is the only one which counts Everton were ahead. The goal goes to swell Young’s big bag, for it was he who scored from a deft pass by Settle. After this the home team had slightly more of the play than before, but Everton continued the better and more aggressive side until ten minutes or a quarter of an hour before the interval, when M’Lean and the right wing forced a corner, which James Wilson placed so well that Scott was glad to give a second flag-kick. This came rather wide, but the ball was hedged into the goalmouth, and Becton completed a scrimmage by scoring the equalizing goal eight minutes before half-time. At this point there was no stopping the Preston players, and the interval probably came as relief to Everton. The teams struggled hard for a winning goal, and in the last five minutes came Everton’s final chance, when Settle took the penalty kick referred to. McBride was evidently hurt in the struggle, judging by the way he walked off at the close. A draw was the most fitting result.
AIhough North End had not lost a point at home since September they were probably very well satisfied in drawing with the League leaders. Except in the first half-hour they were quite as good as the Everton men, and at one period they pressed far more severely than their opponents. Comparing the two teams, I should say that neither M‘Bride nor Scott made any mistake. Both of backs were excellent. The brothers Balmer were sure and powerful in their returns, and volleyed the ball with great success. Rodway, as usual, was judicious and safe. And Lavery played a game which again showed him to be a most promising young footballer. He should not, however, have tripped Young. The Preston half-backs were quite as good as the Everton trio, of whom Taylor was the most successful. Chadwick is a worker, but did not strike me as quite up to the Everton standard in point of pure skill. M'Lean was as prominent as anyone in the Preston intermediate line. Of the Everton forwards, Donnachie was not as good as Sharp has been at Deepdale, and Wilson, the other wing, was without finishing accurately. All the forward work was splendid, and some moderate shots, as well a few good ones, was always on the look-out for chances, and, except when he got offside, took up favourable positions. In the Preston attack Bell made his reappearance after being absent for several weeks, but, though clever, he sadly lacked speed and stamina.  Danson was a persistent and skilful outside left, giving Booth little peace, but the right wing was the better balanced. Becton again playing very well with Wilson. Pearson, tried as centre in the absence of Smith, was often, attempting to get between the backs, but he was able to get in few shots, and was thus defeated in his strongest point. Preston North End.—McBride; Lavery, Rodway ; Mclean, Hunter, Lyon; Becton, Wilson (J), Pearson, Bell, and Danson.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (W), Balmer (R.); Booth, Taylor, Chadwick; Donnachie, Bolton, Young, Settle, and Wilson (G).  Referee; Mr. H. Politt, Manchester.   

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Friday 11 January 1907
Jessie Lillian Eccles 28, wife of George Eccles, assitanant trainer to the Bolton Wanderers Football Club, has died as the result of a fall down stairs.  Examination afterwards showed that the handrail was loose, and a piece of it lying on the stairs.  

January 12, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round One.
Everton escaped the fate generally received for cup holders. They were not thrown out at the first time of asking but they have to thank an opposing back for the solitary goal which enables then to figure in the second round of the competition. This is not what one expects from a side, which has accomplished so many brilliant performances in the League this season. But it must be conceded that on Saturday in their encounter with Sheffield United the Evertonians were by no means at their best. There was great luck, of course, in Johnson scoring for them at the same time it would not be altogether fair to say that they were lucky in winning inasmuch as they had more of the play than their opponents. Paradoxical though it may appear Sheffield United were unfortunate in being thrown out of the competition. Had it not been for that fatal mistake on the part of Johnson they might have done well, wonders at Bramell-lane. However, it is all in the fortune of the game. Sheffield United was past glorious achievement to spur them on, live to fight another day, or rather, in next year's competition meanwhile they have the consolation of sharing a gate of £830, which is not at all bad whether the attendance was 25,000 or 35,000.

Although the day was gloomy –rain fell before the game was over –the ground was in splendid condition for an always-interesting Cup tie. Naturally everybody expected a repetition of the wonderful fine exhibition given by the two sides in their League match on the 20 th October. They were doomed to disappointment. Really exciting episodes were few and far between. The Blades started off in a matter, which was suggestive of danger to the Blues, but happily during this trying period Scott and the brothers Balmers kept cool heads the custodian on two occasions leaving his goal in judicious fashion. Then Everton seemed to find their feet, and there were visions of goals galore. Somehow or another all their efforts faded away to nothingness when it came to a matter of shooting at goal. The home forwards too, were not the only offenders in this respect. Both Leivesley and Scott had practually a sinecure. One can imagine the former's feeling when, just before the interval his left back (Johnson) instead, of clearing, diverted the ball into goal, in such a manner that the keeper had no chance of saving the situation. It was hard lines on the visiting side, and as events turned out meant a world of difference to Sheffield United. In the second half the latter had the benefit of the wind, but though they struggled manfully under the discomfiture of the goal they were not allowed to get on level terms with the Everton sharp shooters quite off colour there was no certainty that one of the breakaways of the Blades would not result in an equalising goal, and it was quite a relief when the whistle blew with the Cupholders gaining the verdict by a goal to nil.

An idea of the run of the play will be gathered from the fact that both goalkeepers between them had not more than half-a-dozen ticklish shots to save. There was plenty of clever work in midfield, and some smart breaking up tactics by the respective half-back lines. It was in the front ranks that deficiency was apparent. Brown, of United scoring fame was woefully off form. Perhaps this was due to the attentions paid him by Taylor, who was easily the best half on the field even another veteran in Needham being outshone by the Everton captain. Young was not as happy as usual, and all round the Everton attack was far below their usual standard. Settle could not get into his stride at all, and Wilson by no means produced the form of which he is capable. Bolton was fair, and Donnachie spoiled many otherwise tricky movements by inaccurate centres. What little Scott had to do was performed in resolute style, but the conspicuous figure in the Everton defence was W. Balmer, whose kicking and tackling were of the highest order, and worthy even of the great back's reputation. If the cup is to remain at Goodison-road the team will have to improve considerably upon their Saturday's display.

Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal W. Balmer and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Chadwick half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton, Young, Settle and G. Wilson, forwards. Sheffield United: - Livesley goal, Benson and Johnson backs, McGuire, B. Wilkinson, and Needham, half-backs Donnelly, Bluff Brown, WH> Wilkinson, and Croot, forward. Referee Mr. Mason.

January 12 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 19)
Everton on Saturday gained their first point since the advent of the New Year. After losing at Bury and Rossendale they may be said to have done well to draw with Blackpool, a team notably hard to beat on they own ground. But Everton well deserved to share the points. Jones was absent from the centre forward position, but Rouse played a very good game and was chiefly responsible for Everton taking the lead. It was due to the good work of the ex-Stoke man that Cooke opened the score, but before the interval, Morris obtained the equalise. On the run of the play in the first portion the visitors had rather the best of matters, but subsequently the Seasiders levelled up matters, and Sloan was found plenty of work to do. The Blackpool keeper was not idle, but the defence of both sides prevented a score, and the game ended in one goal each. It was an interesting game all through, clever forward work being met by sound defence. Sloan was very safe in the Everton goal and was well covered by his backs. The halves were a sound trio, while the forward the best work was done by Rouse and the left wing. Blackpool had a capable side their defence being excellent, while Wake was perhaps the best of a capital attacking line. Everton: - Slaon, goal Strettell, and Crelly, backs Black Booth, and Donaldson half-backs Thomas, Graham, Rouse, Cooke, and Butler forwards .

Athletic News - Monday 14 January 1907
By Tittrus
"They laugh that win,” says the priceless Shakespeare, but Everton, out of their charity for the fallen could not surely ever smile at the fate which met Sheffield United at Goodison Park. The Cup holders survived the first round, but I have been putting to myself the question: “Did either team deserve victory?" Frankly, I cannot convince myself that Everton merited all the pride, pomp, and circumstance usually associated with a triumph. At the same time they were never in danger of being beaten. One accidental miskick turned the tide of events. On such a triviality did success hang itself.
Perpend! Let us again to the Band of Avon. As I was leaving the ground, Mr. John Nicholson, the secretary of the United, looked at me. In that one glance I saw expressed the phrase: “On horror’s head horrors accumulate.” Primarily the United were compelled play on the ground of their opponents. Next they lose the invaluable assistance Lipsham, possibly the most effective outside-left in England, and the backbone of a forward line which is inclined to be invertebrate, or disjointed. Thirdly and lastly, after giving evidence of a strenuous struggle, their left back Charles Johnson, in the endeavour to volley a drive by George Wilson, actually caused the ball to curl behind him into the opposite corner of the netted space from which Leivesley was standing. If this be not a chapter of casualties then write me down a partisan, which heaven forfend.  Could Everton laugh?  Had the boot of misfortune been on the other leg would Sheffield have laughed?  Of course, Everton may justly point out that they were called upon to play a hard game without Abbott and Sharp, who have each been suffering from an injured knee, the bane of all athletes. Again, Harold Hardman, with a momentous examination at hand, could not play. But, even so, Everton have resources.
Better football might reasonably have been expected from both sides. The United were the more aggressive at the outset, but gradually Everton began to invade Sheffield quarters; but there was not a pin to choose between them, and I thought Bluff had a rare chance of opening the score just before W. H. Wilkinson spoiled an ominous attack by breaking the onside law in the goal area. In the same way Bolton’s hesitation at the other end frittered away the advantage of good position. However, after very even exchanges the decisive goal was registered in the thirty-ninth minute, for George Wilson, who had led many raids, took an inward course, and when near the penalty line drove for the far corner of the goal. Settle dashed out after the ball, but before he could arrive Johnson had put it through his own goal, and thus he accomplished for Everton, what Everton could not do for themselves. After that the Cup holders seemed fired with an ambition to do something for themselves, but they were kept bay. In the second period Everton enjoyed more of the attack than their opponents, but they never strengthened their lead. Once Young might have increased his bag by a telling shot, but he entirely missed his object. Twice following corners Everton were near and yet so far. A ground drive by Chadwick had passed between legs until it was perilously near goal, but Needham hooked the ball out. Another time George Wilson placed so well from the flag that the crossbar was shivered and still no penetration, while the most that Scott had to do was to field a very fine shot from Croot—a messenger that was going away from his left hand. Truth to tell, the marksmanship was not thrilling; and with such a bare advantage time would be welcome to the Evertonians.
When we remember that these clubs have both won the trophy, and that they are among the foremost in the land, the exhibition was not calculated to arouse enthusiasm. There were few fine flights of forward maneuvering to rouse us to frenzy. Possibly the better combination was shown by Everton, but I have no hesitation in saying that without the sparkling sallies and centres of Sharp, and without the harassing and bustling Harold Hardman, the flank movements of The League leaders were not of that electrifying character we have associated with Everton this season. Donnachie has all the Scotsman's cleverness, but he has not the speed nor the centre power of Sharp. It is unreasonable to expect it. This is a free county, and every man is entitled to hold his own opinion. I have seen George Wilson outside left for Scotland, but I have also watched him at inside left in the Everton eleven. In the latter position is conjurer. He was the man who led many onslaughts on Saturday, but he was lacking pace, and with the one exception that brought the goal his centres were often made too soon, and generally right angles. The ball came so squarely that his comrade had either to come back or turn round. Settle was not at his best, and Bolton did not play up to the backs. Young was full of honest endeavour, and gave many delightful touches. But on the whole he kept the ball too close, with the result that two backs were generally closing in upon him—beside the centre half. Two and three men have the odds on their side against one player, however skillful. Thus the vanguard which has registered most foals in League forays were comparatively feeble and unworthy of themselves as body. The half backs were strong, although Chadwick was too speculative and put the ball in the air too much. "Jock" Taylor was a master. He reduced Brown to the common-place, and was the fly wheel which set the machine going again and again by the way he slashed the ball out to the wings. The brothers Balmer were never both beaten, but “William” several times misjudged the ball, which he had to head to his feet before clearing his lines. There was an element of danger in this, while “ Robert jumped more than he should have done at the same time they are a dashing pair. 

January 21, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
It is a long time since such a splendid exhibition of football has been seen at Goodison-park as was the cast last Saturday. Of course everything pointed to a fine match, and certainly expectations were more than reasoned. The visit of Newcastle United to Goodison-park are always structure and on this occasion more so than ever for were not the club competing for the honours of League leadership? With only a point in hand defeat for Everton would have meant their being deposed from the place of honour. More over, the Blues wanted revenge for that single goal reverse sustained at St. Jaime's park in September last. The Cupholders too, desired to show their supporters that there was no flute about the Cup final. Well, the result was a record attendance at Goodison park, a memorable game, and a brilliant victory for Everton by three goals to nil.

It would be impossible to praise too highly the standard of the play. As the saying is, it was a game worth of going to see –full of interesting incidents and rightdown sparkling football. From the way in which the contest started, one scarcely imagined that the classy Newcastle team were destined to be so soundly beaten. For the first five minutes or so they were all over Everton, but fortunately, Scott and the brothers Balmer in particular were cool, calculating and at times daring, and the Blues emerged successfully from a trying ordeal. Encouaged by the steadiness of the defence the forwards pulled themselves together and gave the visiting halves more than they cope with. In was indeed, a delightful game to watch. First one side and then the other took up the running, but it was not until just on the interval that the first goal arrived. The irrepressible Young was the scorer, but both Sharp and Bolton had a share in the success. The speedy Jack Sharp trapped the ball cleverly, and passed it on to Bolton, who shot straight and hard at Lawerance. The ball bounced off the custodian, and Young had it in the net in a trinkling. Quite early in the second stages the Cupholders made their position practically secure. Again the same two were mainly responsible for the point. This time Bolton afforded Sharp a lovely pass, and the latter crossing accurately, Young crowned the good work by a brilliant goal. Naturally the crowd were elated, but the scoring did not end here. After twenty minutes, Lawrence only managed to divert over the line a terrific shot from Wilson. Following the corner, the ball came out to Sharp who unmarked, and beat Lawrence all the way. The Novocastrians did not lose heart, and in the latter stages, which were contested in poor light, they were responsible for some clever aggressive work. First they had not even the solace of a single goal, and the Everton gained a great and well-deserved victory by three goals to nil.

There was no question that the points went to the better team on the day's play. Even visitors from the banks of the Tyne admitted this. The Newcastle forwards of whom Rutherford was the most conspicuous, indulged in some masterly passing, but they failed when they got the ball near the goal-line. On the other hand, the home quintette were more dashing and always ready for a pop at goal. All played well, though the left wing were overshadowed by the brilliance of Sharp and Bolton. What a difference Sharp makes to the Everton attack! Bolton has a perfect understanding with him. This was plainly in evidence in Saturday's encounter. It is questionable if Bolton has played as fine a game since he joined the Everton club. Young, too, gave of halves. True, he once missed a rare chance, but that was about the only mistake he did make. The halves were all good, especially Taylor, who played the game of a lifetime. The brothers Balmer were a grand couple of backs. William in radical degree distinguishing himself, indeed the whole side were in great form. If such form could always be relied upon, there would not be much doubt about retaining possession of the English's cup and securing the League Championship. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goals, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain) and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goals, McCracken and Carr, backs, Gardner, Veitch (Captain), and McWilliams, half-backs, Rutherford, Speedie Brown, Orr, and Duffy, forwards.

January 21, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 20)
Everton were decidedly unfortunate not to return from Colne on Saturday with two points instead of one. Colne are regarded as a difficult side to beat upon their own ground, but had fortune favoured Everton. The Blues would have won fairly readily, instead of which they had to put up with a goalless draw. To begin with, Jones, the Everton sharpshooters, was twice only inches wide with fine attempts, and then he took a penalty kick, but Tillotson saved grandly. Subsequently Jones retired and when he returned it was only to see Cooke get hurt. Cooke retired, and Everton, thus handicapped, failed to get through. The visitors played ten men during the second half, but could still claim an advantage in everything but scoring. Tillotson kept goal cleverly for the home side, who, for their part, were not idea, but Everton were decidedly the cleverer team, and with their full strength would have won. As it was the defence was always superior to the attack and honours were even at the finish of a hard struggle. Colne played with any amount of determination, but the Blues were generally the smarter side and the home team owed a good idle to the cleverness of their goalkeeper and the bustling methods of the backs. The injuries to Jones and Cooke upset the Everton forwards, whose work in the second half was characterized more by individually than combination. Sloan did everything required of him in clever fashion, and was covered by a capable pair of backs, while the halves worked well throughout. Colne played with any amount of dash, but their defence was much superior to their forwards work. Under the circumstances Everton did well to return with a division of the honours. Everton: - Sloan goals, Strettell, and Stevenson backs Black Booth and D. Wilson half-backs, Donnachie, Rouse, Jones, Cooke and Butler forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 21 January 1907
By Harricus
Last season’s English Cup finalists. Everton and Newcastle, have proved themselves to be the strongest candidates for the League championship this season, and as the result their return game on Saturday at Goodison Park, where the Novocastrians were trounced by three clear goals, the position of Everton as leaders is now stronger than ever, and to my mind I fail to see what club can dislodge them before the end of April, unless, of course, they take the notion of equaling the feats of Aston Villa and Preston North End, in winning both the national trophies in the one season. This aspiration, commendable though it may be, may produce disaster. However, that by the way. The first meeting of the clubs Newcastle was voted one of the best games ever witnessed on Tyneside, and that fact, together with the positions of the clubs in the League chart, aroused such interest as has never been known before in Liverpool. This is proved by the attendance, for over 43,000 passed into the ground, and the receipts were £1.370.  The scene in the City beggars description, and I should imagine that the Liverpool Corporation Tramways Committee have never been so sorely tried, but the service was excellent. As a matter of fact they took too many people to Goodison Park, for when I arrived there ten minutes before the game started there were thousands awaiting admission. Indeed, the gates had to be closed, not because the ground was overflowing, but due to the fact that on the bank on the popular side the crowd was such a solid mass that it was impossible for late comers to pass along on to the higher portion the bank. But the huge mass of humanity was a pleasing sight.
As to the match itself it was well worthy of the crowd, despite the rather heavy score against the visitors. To be candid. I must confess that I am an admirer of the Newcastle men, but have agreed that whereas the footwork of the United may be the prettier from a spectacular point of view, Everton, whilst also possessing cleverness, are more dangerous in front of goal. These traits were well illustrated on Saturday, except that the Novocastians, while chivalrous to opposing goalkeepers as ever, have lost some of their admirable command of the ball, while several of the experts gave one the impression that Anno Domini was getting a grip of them. In truth, large though the score was in Everton’s favour, it was no more than they deserved, and whilst their opponents may have appeared to have played far below their reputation the margin was  created more by the brilliance of the winners than by any marked frailty on the part of the losers. It was indeed a splendid contest of giants, well worthy of the reputations and positions of the two clubs, and my only regret as a non-partisan is that Newcastle did not give us the form of which I know they are capable. For one thing the machinations of their vanguard were not likely to be in evidence with only two of the old brigade on view. Speedie, Brown, and Duffy may or may not be experts, but what are they to Howie, Appleyard, and Gosnell ? ON Saturday’s form, at any rate, they do not reside in the same shire.
There was every appearance of the first half being unproductive of goals, but in the last minute Lawrence dropped a very hot shot, and Young, rushing in, scored, Lawrence being in no way to blame. Either Wilson or Abbot- latter, in my opinion —had previously netted the ball, following fine work by Sharp, but the bad referee was on the side of the enemy. Only four minutes of the second half had passed when Newcastle's fate was settled. Sharp dashed away on the wing as though he was seeking a winning Cup Final goal, and at the right moment Young found himself in possession in a lovely position. He, therefore, crashed the ball forward with such force that it brushed the hands of Lawrence on one side as it passed into the net.  It was a goal of the Bloomer type. No.3 accrued owing to the defence not covering Sharp from a corner-kick taken by Hardman. The County cricketer had a beautiful space left to him, and who can blame him if he shot the ball nice and low past Lawrence. Rather, the blame rests with the Newcastle defence. After this the "Blues" adopted a generous attitude to fallen foes, and in the last twenty minutes or so Newcastle had the bulk of the play; at least, they were generally in Everton quarters, for the ball had a bad habit of losing itself. Three o’clock is too late to start a match on a foggy day; at least, that is the opinion those who were perched up on the lookout at the Everton ground. Those near the playing portion may have been able to follow the game.
The "Tynesiders" commenced the game as though they were bound for victory, their footwork being admirable, but they were always weak in front of goal, though it must be said that the ground was rather slippery and apt to upset artistry. But it can be truthfully stated that they were never the equal of Everton, for though they pressed in the closing stages it can be assumed that they did so because of the fact that Everton were three ahead, and that had they scored the probability is that they would have to suffer for it. Let it not be imagined that the Newcastle men were a mediocre lot. Far from it. They played a game good enough to conquer most teams, but they happened to fall across a side that were determined to succeed in a match which really meant four points for them. At the same time. Carr and M'Cracken did not protect Lawrence as they ought have done. John Carr will have to show vastly different form in the North and South match if he is to secure another International cap. He has lost speed, and there was evidence of his lack of confidence in his own powers when he had to kick the ball back to Lawrence when was over twenty-five yards away from the goal. M'Cracken was the better back, but the fact was that Lawrence was not supported
As has been. The half-back line, too, failed in its duty, Colin Veitch being a very disappointing man to me, for whenever I have seen him in the past he has distinguished himself. As a matter of fact, the half-backs were so much harassed by the Everton forwards that they had not the opportunity of helping their own forwards.
The forwards were perhaps the most disappointing part of the team, and, as I have said, the boys of the old brigade were sadly missed. Rutherford was really the only one of the quintette who displayed the real Newcastle standard, such as I know it, though Orr was also desirous of showing what he could do. Speedie belies his name, and was generally a little too late, while Brown and Duffy did not perform any brilliant feats. Duffy certainly put in some nice centres at times. What a contrast there was in the Everton vanguard, who played in unison and with effect. Young missed a few chances—he generally does—but did not score twice!? However, his field work was excellent, and Scotland need not want a better centre forward. Perhaps John Sharp came second in order of merit. John likes to keep his clothes clean, but if he is not a forager he is an opportunist, and whenever he got the ball from Bolton’s excellent passes on Saturday he turned it to the best advantage, and Carr could make nothing of him. Wilson was a rare worker and seems as serviceable inside as in the outside position, while Bolton and Hardman completed an excellent quintette.
If any one man of the 22 stood out above the other, that man was surely the oldest of the lot, John D. Taylor, a real “Son of the Rock.” And moreover, was apparently as fresh at the finish as when he started. He is indeed a wonder. Not only did he despoil the efforts of the visitors' forwards and feed his own colleagues, but he made several good attempts to score himself. He was also well flanked, and behind, the brothers Balmer were sound, though Robert sometimes did not kick so strong as William, who has a boot of the same make as Dunlop’s. Scott needs no praise. He was never beaten, and is the best custodian in the League, in my opinion. This was the most disastrous experience Newcastle have had at Everton, though they lost 4-1 in 1903. They had won four of the previous eight games at Goodison, while another visit produced a point.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (W), Balmer (R.); Makepeace, Taylor, Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Young, Wilson (G), Hardman. 

January 28, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
It was hard check for Everton to be beaten at Aston-park on Saturday. Of course it is not a new experience but the league leaders to lose on that fine enclosure, but the worse of it is that this was the second occasion this season when the Villa have triumphed over Everton. On the 22 nd of September the famous Birmingham contingent carried away a couple of points from Goodison-park. The score than was two to one in favour of the Villa, and singularly enough to return match ended likewise. The unfortunate part about it was that no impartial spectators could begrudge the Villa their victory. On the play it was well deserved. One could hardily imagine that the Blues were the sides, which gave such a grand exhibition the previous week against Newcastle United. Probably the hard ground affected them, but certain Villa got on more than their deserved, indeed the Villa should had three too four goals against Everton.

Owing doubtless to the cold snap, the attendance by no means realised expectations. At the same time, here was a fine crowd, and under the circumstances the people had good value for their money, more especially as the game favourably for the Villa. Conspicuous success attended the move of the home directors in chasing the left wing to Bache and Hall. To this part more than to any other two players was due the victory of the home side. But to the game itself. For the first twenty minutes or so it was a ding done struggle, with neither side able to claim much advantage. Everton were privileged to open the scoring. Bolton being the execute, following a corner taken by Hardman. For a few minutes the Blues looked like maintaining their position, but slackness on the part of the Everton defence afforded an opening to Cantwell, who had no difficulty in equalising. From this point onwards, the Villa never looked like being beaten. True they only registered another goal, but the pressure they executed was good value for at least another couple.

While the result was national disappointing to the visiting side's supporters, the game was admirably contests and on such a frosted ground produced many fine touches of play. Certainly the Villa were the better team. They seemed to let themselves go better than the Blues. For once Young was off form, and this had doubtless considerable influence upon the play of the whole front line. Sharp and Bolton were far ahead of the left wing, indeed the former was as conspicuous as any other on the field. Makepeace was not in happy mood, but for all that he stepped into the breach more than once in the nick of time. Taylor work as hard as ever, and Abbott was extremely useful without being brilliant. The brothers Balmer were severely a reliable as usual, but Scott although apparently at fault over the second goal, was in great form. Indeed, it is doubtful if a more reliable custodian is playing in League football. The fact that in 26 matches only as many goals have been scored against Everton speaks for itself. Teams: - Aston Villa: - George goal, Miles, and Logan, backs, Greenhalgh, Buckley, and Codling, half-backs, Millington, Cantwell, Hampton, Bache, and Hill, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal W. Balmer, and R. Balmer backs, Meakepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Referee Mr. A. J. Bailey.

Athletic News - Monday 28 January 1907
Playing against Atherton at Goodison the Everton second string showed vastly superior form to their opponents and won readily by four clear goals.  Donnachie, Jones and Rouse were the pick of the home forwards, the latter giving his best display since coming to Liverpool.  Booth played a grand game at centre half, and the defence was easily equal to the moderate calls upon it.  Chorley in goal was by far the most effective player on the losing side, several of his saves being skillfully executed. 

Athletic News - Monday 28 January 1907
By Brum
The pneumonia-dealing blasts which have been lengthening the obituary columns of late were responsible for the fact that the attendance at Villa Park on Saturday fell below the figure which would have been registered on a fine and genial afternoon. The attractiveness of the encounter could not be doubted, for Everton came with a clear lead of all rivals in the League, and the Villa were hoping for a crowd of fifty thousand.  But the Arctic conditions kept away all eave those in whom the fire of enthusiasm still burns. Acton Villa can generally be relied upon to get their ground into a reasonable a state as possible,  and under the circumstances their playing pitch possessed by no means a bad’ surface. The turf had been judicially sanded, and although nothing could take the bone out of it, yet the men got very a very good footing. Both elevens were at full strength, for although the Villa's young forward line has amply demonstrated its ability, the public naturally cling to old names, and their affections go out to a front rank which includes Hampton, Bache and Hall. And this trio found 'places in the Villa vanguard in this match. Everton had also their best side. Settle was scheduled on the programme as a starter, but George Wilton took his Place, and he would be bold man who would venture to say that the Scottish International has no right to a position in the Everton front line.
Everton are probably better placed for high-class forwards than any team in the country, when they can leave out Settle, Wilson, and their expensive recruit from Stoke, Rouse. There was a stiff wind blowing when Mr. Bailey got the teams together, and the ground was well patronized in all quarters except, indeed, the track seats, and no one expected to see a rush for the exposed position in which they are placed. The toss gave Everton the right to play with the wind at their backs, but the Villa showed commendable agility in going straight off from Hampton's opening kick, and a fine centre by Millington might have been the means of giving the Villa an early lead. But the moment the ball touched the ground it shot up like a released balloon, and throughout the game the players had the greatest difficulty in controlling it. It was not, indeed, a day on which you would expect to see men playing football of an ultra-skillful kind, but the spectators never had the slightest reason to complain of the type of fare set before them. There was nothing between the rivals so far as the opening half went. The Villa had a well-nigh imperceptible pull when, half an hour from the start, Bolton rounded off a good exhibition of attacking work by the whole Everton vanguard by driving the ball past George. And it was only fitting that three minutes later the sides should be on an equality, for they deserved to be. A brisk attack by the villa forwards led to Cantrell getting clear of the defenders, Scott excepted, and the young Villa man had only to keep his head to score. He did keep his head, and he scored, for instead of crashing the ball against Scott's chest, as so many players would have done, he coolly deflected it, and it went through at an angle which gave the custodian no chance. So the interval whistle found the scores level, and the play in the second half was for a long time highly suggestive of draw.
The Villa played rather the stronger game, and they had a material advantage if the amount of work which Scott did as compared with George might be considered a correct index of the play. But it was mainly because they shot hard and often, while Young, true to his traditions, finessed about too much. He seemed bent upon getting a chance shooting from a perfect position before he let fly. Was not the game on the day, and time after time Young was pulled up without ever having a chance of getting a shot in at all.  He had better have taken the luck of the game as it ran and given George a testing shot now and then, for much may happen on such a day as Saturday. The fact that Bache at length decided to chance his luck was all in the Villa’s favour, and, indeed, from that point the Villa swamped their opponents. The last fifteen minutes was wholly in their favour, and if there just a suggestion of luck about the winning goal (which came a quarter of an hour from-the end), the Everton defence apparently relaxing their efforts because they thought there had been an informality, the Villa played as they had never played before in the game. There was no disputing the superior ability of the Villa, although the superiority was solely confined to the concluding stage. Where Everton were in that concluding stage no one seemed know. Only Scott appeared to be playing the same kind of football that the team had started with.
It was a good, clean, honest game. Naturally a few men went down, and when they fell they went down hard; but, apart from two trivial pieces of unpleasantness, it was a model encounter, and the football was much better than anyone expected it to be. Indeed, considering the conditions, it was as fine a game as one need wish to witness, leaving out the one spell of which I have written. The teams were strangely equal individually and collectively, and Scott was the hero. But the Balmers were strong, and had a good understanding, and Everton’s half back play was admirable. It was a game in which one need scarcely single out individual performers, so good was the general level of excellence. Sharp, however, took off the honours forward, but Young neutralized his side’s chance by sticking to the ball so long and so consistently. For the Villa Miles played admirably, and Logan showed unproved form, the half-back work was keen. Greenhalgh being the most ardent tackier, and forward, Cantrell was undoubtedly the best worker all through. But Bache and Hall played perfect football when once they had felt the pace of the ground, use a cricket phrase.  The crowd numbered 28,000.  Aston Villa; George; Miles, Logan; Greenhalgh, Buckley, Codling; Millington, Cantrell, Hampton, Bache, and Hall.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (W.), Balmer (R.); Makepeace, Taylor, Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Young, Wilson (G), and Hardman.  Referee; J.W. Bailey, Leicester.  

January 28 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 21)
Atherton were the visitors to Goodison-park on Saturday, and after a game in which the Blues had matter all their own way, Everton, by four goals to nil, gained their first victory since December 15 –having in the meantimes lost two, and drawn three, and that partially destroyed a great chance of becoming Combination champions. The Blues had the game well in hand right from the kick-off. Early on Jones scored what appeared to be a perfect goal, but the referee decided otherwise. Everton came again, and good work by Butler and Donnachie ended in Rouse heading through a beauty, while a moment later Jones made no mistake. During this half the visitors never got away, Sloan's only work being a solitary goalkick. The second half was almost on a level terms. Certainly the visitors had a little more of the game, but very little, and Everton were certainly pegging away at Chorley, who had a warm afternoon. Booth and Jones put on further goals with brilliant efforts, and the end game with Everton easy winners. The winners to a man played excellently. Sloan had a holiday, while Strettell and Crelly –the latter playing a confident game –were very safe. The half-backs were a fine combination, and if anyone might be singled out it was Booth, who showed that he as far from being a spent force. The forwards all played well. They were a nippy lot, Donnachie and Butler getting in some capital runs and centres. The inside men were also smart, and Jones showed that he had lost none of her dash, and shooting by reason of his temporary absentee from his team. The visitors were a moderate lot. They seemed to let themselves go on the hard ground and put up a very poor game. Chorley was fair in goal, where Maite was the better back. The halves and forwards were very poor. The combination being conspicuous by the absentee, and the team as a whole got of lightly with only four goals again them. Everton: - Sloan goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs Black Booth, and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Graham, Jones Cooke, and Butler forwards.





January 1907