Everton Independent Research Data


January 3, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
It was a peculiar game between Bury and Everton at Gigg lane, on Saturday, and under the circumstances a division of the honours was perhaps the most fitting result. In working out at two goals each. Everton were heavy, but equally so were Bury. This may be paradoxical, though none the less a fair reflex of the proceedings. In the first half of the game Everton were completely outplayed, and yet, thanks to Freeman they crossed over with a lead of a goal to nil. Later on the Blues asserted supremacy, and quite early in the second portion had another goal to their credit, also through Freeman. This lead they maintained until about a quarter of an hour from the finish when all hopes of Bury averting defeat seemed to have departed. The turning point came when the referee granted a somewhat doubtful penalty kick to the home side. This was converted by Lindsay, and the outcome was that while Everton were smarting under the decision their opponents had new heart of grace, and within three or four minutes of the finish had drawn level. It was naturally a result disappointing to the supporters of the Blues who had travelled from Liverpool to witness the game, seeing that victory for the favourites had appeared so certain. The point was very welcome to the East Lancashire club, who, strange to say, have only secured seven points at home to nine away.

It must be admitted that during the initiate first forty-five minutes Everton had obliged to play second fiddle. For the most it was a battle, Bury attack was the visiting defended. Especially brilliant was Birnie, on the right wing. Macconnachie had quite as much as he bargained for in endeavouring to hold this fleet footed winger, and it was little wonder that corner followed corner in rapid succession. Then Scott was a tower of strength to his side, and no matter from what angle the ball came the Irish International seemed always able to divine the right spot. Everton only occasionally broke away, but when they did there always seemed to be a chance of the Bury goal being captured. In fact it was quite a surprise when Freeman managed to open the score. Sharp had set him on the more, and when tackled by a couple of opponents the visiting centre forward slipped, but recovered himself, White gave him the ball, the outcome being that Freeman, without a moment's hesitation banged in the ball, which glanced off the post into the net. The second half saw the Evertonians in very different mood. There was much more nippiness and method about their movements, and when following a perfectly placed corner kick by Sharp the custodian failed to fist away and Freeman again easily found the net, the game was as good as over. Then came the penalty incident. The Bury forwards were attacking strongly and in the mist it appeared as if the ball from Birnie's centre struck Makepeace on the hand. However, it subsequently transpired that the offence, if any was committed by Coleman. The referee decided that the handling was intentional, and Lindsay gave Scott no chance, with the penalty kick . After this Bury fought with the energy of despair, and the end was in sight when Kay had the satisfaction of snatching out the fine a point for his side.

The encounter was not one, which produced particularly brilliant individual work. If an attempt were to be made to single out a player on the Everton side it would be to accord an extra measure of praise to Scott for his clever and successful work in goal. Macconnachie started rather shakily, but once he settled down, he played a resourceful game, and moreover, had a good understanding with Clifford, who has unquestionable found his proper position at right back. The half back line, Harris, Taylor and Makepeace might have been more effective though they had plenty of calls upon them, especially in the first half. Sharp and Coleman were the smarter wing, the former putting in some of his old times runs, and Freeman although closely watched, was a source of danger whenever he was afforded the slightest lattute. White was a very useful member of the line, but Young, on the extreme left, was not comfortable, despite the fact that now and again his trickness nonplussed, the Bury defenders. On the home side Birnie was perhaps the most conspicuous forward. Jarvis the best half-back, and Lindsay a sterling right back. Reaside too, proved himself to be a reliable custodian. Bury: - Raeside, goal, Lindsay, and Parvis, backs, Humphreys, Dewar, and Jarvis, half-backs, Birnie, Kay, Hibbert, Currie, and Duffy, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Young, forwards. Referee J.H.Smith.

Magnificent Effort by Bury.
Manchester Courier-Monday January 3 1910
Bury had little reason ashamed of the exhibition they gave Everton at Gigg-lane. Even they only managed draw. This latter was, in itself, great achievement, inasmuch as, with the second half was well its way, Everton were two goals up. Freeman scored first, though the goal might have been avoided had not Lindsay slipped, and then White but through from a corner. The outlook this period for Bury seemed hopeless, but with Lindsay converting penalty kick they took heart, and with only two minutes Hibbert, after threading his way through the Everton defence, passed to Kay, who, unmarked, shot a really fine goal. Taking the play as whole, the honours rested with the Bury men, who, in the First half particularly, did every j thing but Scott made many fine saves, while on other occasions the ball went just wide of the post. If they had been beaten the lane contingent would not have been disgraced.

January 3, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 19)
Everton are gradually working their way to the top of the League holders, and on Saturday they scored another signal success at the expense of Bury, whom they defeated by six goals to two. The early stages of the game were evenly contested, but eventually Everton assured the mastery and prior to the interval Gourlay, Anderson, and Lacey secured goals. After changing ends the Blues maintained their aggressive methods, and Lacey rushed a fourth point. The visiting custodian then temporarily left the field, during which time Mountford scored from a penalty. With the return of their goalkeeper Bury improved considerably, and twice defeated the home keeper through Pearson and Smith. Nearing the end Michael ended a brilliant solo effort with an equally brilliant goal. Everton: - Berry, goal, Pratt, and Bardsley, backs, Allan Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 10 January 1910
Tottenham Hotspur 3, Everton 0
By the Mate
The cheery followers of Tottenham Hotspur were not at all sanguine when the interval was reached that the lead of one goal held by the “Spurs” would be sufficient to ensure success. In point of actual merit the teams should have been on terms of equality at white Hart Lane.  But Tottenham had scored a goal, and it was another case of the first blow being half the battle.  In the second half it was all Tottenham.  Everton’s deterioration was rapid, and we saw little of the artistry which had marked the work of the forwards in the first half.  The dominance of the “Spurs” was too potent to admit of any doubts as to which was the better side. 
True Steel.
What a great bargain the “Spurs” made when they brought the brothers Steel from ayont the Border.  These two Ayrshire ladies were the life and soul of the team.  Dan Steel, as befits a captain, was always in the thick of the fight.  He held Freeman valiantly, and when Morris, Bentley, Elkin, or Coquet needed assistance he was there to render it.  And with it all he was pushing the ball along to his forwards in a way which compelled them to make progress.  In the case of Robert Steel there was also evidence of intelligence as well as foot craft.  When Everton were attacking he was a fourth half-back, and when the warfare was being waged in the Everton quarters he was fulfilling his part at inside left with eminent distinction.  Moreover, he got a brilliant goal.  Such was the part played by these products of New Milns.  It was unfortunate for Everton that their defence was weakened by the absence of Balmer and the illness of Macconnachie, for Clifford and Stevenson, though playing well in the first half, fell away in the second, and Clifford was not free from blame when Tottenham got their last two goals.  After 22 minutes, Middlemiss put in a centre which Clifford, Humphreys, and Minter all tried to reach.  The only result of their efforts was that the ball cannoned away to R. Steel, who met it with a trusty right boot, and beat Scott.  It was a truly brilliant goal.
Middlemiss Makes His Mark
Ten minutes from the end Clifford twice headed the ball rather tamely, with the result that Middlemiss secured, and beat Scott with a great rising drive.  Six minutes later another movement was engineered by the brothers Steel, and Middlemiss again beat Clifford, who seemed listless and weary of trying to repel the heavy raids of the home forwards.  When Scott decided on coming out Middlemiss at once shot the ball away from him into the far corner of the net.  From this it will be gathered that Clifford might, with a little more resourceful tackling, have prevented these goals, but the fact remains that the “Spurs” richly deserved their successes.  Curiously enough, the scoring of these two goals redeemed the display of Middlemiss from the level of mediocrity.  He and Coquet were the weak men on the “Spurs” side.  Coquet sometimes did weird and wonderful things, but he generally ballooned the ball out of play and his rushes were not always well timed.  Joyce was quite good, and so was Elkin.  I thought the ex-Stockport man the best back on the field, for his driving of the ball was splendid, and he showed capital judgment.  To Dan Steel I have referred.  Morris’s only fault was the lack of pace, while Bentley did well against Everton’s strongest wing.  Humphreys was inclined to give the Everton backs some latitude in the first half, but he was always a worker, and he bustled about to some purpose after the interval.  Minter and Curtis were both good.  Minter revealed marked ability in the art of manipulation, and Curtis played one of his best games. 
Everton’s Weakness
No blame attaches to Scott.  He was well beaten with each scoring shot.  Harris was the half-back who surprised me most, and there were times when he was distinctly “classy.”  Jock Taylor seems to be giving old Father Time a hard battle.  Like Morris he is not as speedy as of yore, but he was a really resourceful defender, and his forward resourceful defender, and his forward passes were not wasted.  Makepeace was not so good as I have seen him, and in the first half we saw the best work of the Everton forwards.  White gave Turner nice passes, but Elkin kept a watchful eye on the outside left, and though Sharp and Coleman often got the ball across Freeman was too well covered by Dan Steel to be dangerous.  Moreover the Everton attack was prone to overelaboration, and the absence of sharp shooting was clearly one of their failings.  There would be fully 25,000 people present.  Tottenham Hotspur; Joyce; Elkin, Conquet; Morris, Steel (D.), Bentley; Curtis, Minter, Humphreys, Steel (R.), and Middlemiss.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Stevenson; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Coleman, Freeman, White and Turner.  Referee; Mr. Lieutenant W.C. Clover, Leicester. 

Athletic News - Monday 10 January 1910
[By Junius.]
Both the Merseyside League teams are away from home in next Saturday’s Cup-ties. Everton are firm believers in home training for cup-ties, and in recent years they have visited West Kirby, and walked into the country around Sefton, with brine baths interspersed. However, next Thursday they will travel to Harrogate, where they will stay until Saturday morning, and then entrain for Middlesbrough.

January 10, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The display of the Everton team at Tottenham on Saturday was truly disappointing. They were defeated by three clear goals, and there were possibilities of this margin being even more pronounced. On the eve of the Cup-tie the outlook is not at all promising and it is absolutely imperative that the house be set in order if the followers of the club are to enjoyed a return for the generous support they have accorded. Defeat upon opponents' grounds is, of course, not exceptional, but when that defeat is courted by the ineptitude of players, the situation becomes unpardonable. Apart from the first twenty minutes of the game, the work of the Everton forwards would not have done credit to even a second rate organisation, and the longer the game progressed the more flagrant became their shortcomings. During the afore-mentioned period they gave promise by reason of really clever footwork, of ultimate success, but that extra bit of dash which is now so indispensable was not forthcoming, and their expenditure of energy was in vain. It was dainty but not profitable football upon which they embarked, and their failure to drive home an advantage provided a fillip to the Spurs who when once they opened the scoring never relaxed their grip of the game. Some allowance may be made for the severity of Everton's defeat owing to injuries to a few of the players, still when the side was intact opportunities were frittered away in exasperating fashion.

Against a defence that was none too sound it did not appear to dawn upon the Everton forwards that the open game would enhance their prospects of victory, and they plodded along in stereotyped fashion with a persistency that would only have befitted the occasion had then enjoyed a day out. The Spurs took in the situation and swung the ball about in vigorous fashion with the result that the only dangerous incursion they made into the Everton quarters during the first half brought about the goal. Meanwhile it is but fair to admit that the visiting forwards were out of luck with several capital efforts, still they were afforded numerous chances of taking the lead, and it was astonishing how these failed to materialise. It was during the second portion of the game that the Everton forwards were so completely overshadowed, and while they as a line did little towards holding the game, it was surely not expecting too much from them to drop back and render assistance to a defence that had undergone a prolonged gruelling. In this sense it was small wonder that Taylor and his confreres were so often overrun and overworked with disastrous results. Whatever may be the constitution of the forward line in future contests, we should like to point out that finesse is a thing of the past, and that the supporters of the club have had sufficient of this sort of thing of late to fully satisfy them for the remainder of the season. The adoption of more dashing methods and greater danger when in front of goal will be a welcome departure from what lately been recognised Principe's.

There could be no disputing the fact that Everton through the greater portion of the first half were the more aggressive side. but there were not bustling enough when in close quarters, while several of their finishing efforts met with bad luck. Quite early three corner kicks fell to their lot, while White skimmed the bar with a header from Turner. However, they, as a rule kept the ball too close and thus provided the “spurs” halve with many opportunities of displaying their defensive skill. The home side took in the situation, and, providing short passing movements, swung the ball about with such persistency that they quite unhinged the Everton defenders. Almost their first dangerous incursion into the Everton half brought about a leading point after 23 minutes' play. Taylor getting into position for trapping one of the cross centres from the home forwards, was fared by R. Steel, who with a somewhat random shot drove hard between the centre half's leg into the net. Following this White had an open goal and many were the chances opened out to the Everton forward, generally, but in every case they were not accepted. Just before the interval White was running through, and was in the penalty area when he got mixed up with Morris, and had to retire limping. He resumed after the interval, but from this point practically to the end of the game there was only one side in the picture, and that was certainly not Everton. There was no method in the movements of the visiting forwards. dash was entirely absent, and for the best part the Everton defenders were subjected to heavy pressure. Ten minutes from the close Clifford instead of kicking clear, feebly headed into touch, and this led up to Middlemiss putting his side further ahead, while the latter just before the close found the Everton right back again at fault, and completed the scoring.

Coming to the players, and dealing first with Everton, it can safely be asserted that not one of the forwards enhanced his reputation. The only player in the line who appeared likely to score was White, and it was unfortunate that he was badly injured just before the interval. He was naturally greatly handicapped during the second period, but even then he was not the least effective. Turner at the start showed signs of improvement, but there faded into insignificance as the game went on, and at the other end of the line the work of Sharp and Coleman was on the unfallible. In the centre Freeman was slow to get of the mark, and was consequently not allowed much quarter from D.Steel, the opposing centre half. Makepeace had the misfortune to stain the muscles of his right leg early in the game, and will require some attention during the week. The work of Harris and Taylor would have been far more effective had occasional assistance when under pressure been forthcoming from the forward line, but neither Clifford nor Stevenson timed the ball too well, while Scott accomplished much good work during the course of the game. Though Tottenham won in such prominent fashion they are not a good side. The full back Coquel in particular were never harassed and when the ball came there way they had practically few kicks. D. Steel played a poised half-back game, while his brother at inside left was the most resourceful of the line. Middlemiss accomplished little of merit during the greater portion of the game, but his two goals at the close counted for much. Joyce, the custodian was not often in difficulties, but his powerful kicking and punching were features in the defensive display of the Spurs. Teams: - Tottenham Hotspurs: - Jorce, goal, Elkin, and Coquel, backs, Morris, A. Steel, and Bentley, half-backs, Curtis, Minter, Humphreys, R. Stell, and Middlemiss, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Stevenson, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee WC. Clover.

January 10, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 20)
St. Helens Rec, accomplished a fine performance at Goodison Park on Saturday by playing a strong Everton team to a draw of one goal each. The Recs played determined and robust football and were full value for the point they took away. In the initial half there was little to choose between the teams, the only goal being secured by Cunliffe, who turned to account an uncompleted save by Berry. The second half saw the Blues striving might and main to get on level terms and for a long time the visitors' defence held on but eventually Lacey got to close quarters and easily defeated Doig. The concluding stages were stubbornly contested, the honours resting with the rival defence. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards.

January 12 1910 –Dundee Evening Telegraph
W.E Gault, centre-forward of Jarrow Caledonians a Northern Alliance team, has been transferred to Everton

Nottingham Evening Post-Wednesday 12 January 1910
A New Player For Everton
William Ernest Gault, a young centre forward from Jarrow, has been secured by Everton. He is 5ft 7 ½ ins in height and weighs 10st 7lbs.

January 12 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton have secured a promising young player named W.E. Gault, of Jarrow Caledonians. He is a centre forward of the hustling type, and during the last two months has scored 22 goals. Gault is 19 years of age, stands 5ft 7ins, height, and weights 10st 7lbs.

Athletic News - Monday 17 January 1910
Despite the wretched weather which prevailed in Liverpool, the attendance the, return Combination match at Goodison Park between the Everton and Liverpool Reserves reached about 15.000, In the first half Lacey scored the only goal for the Blues, but Immediately after the change of ends Speakman equalised. Randles placed the Reds ahead. This reverse only stimulated Everton to greater endeavour, Jones and Gourlay making the result 3-2 in favour of Everton. The Everton forwards played capital game. They swung the ball about from wing to wing, and were the better side throughout. Mountford, on the extreme left, gave a capital display, while Lacey was the most dangerous forward on the field. Randles and Goode shaped creditably for the "Reds" but near goal their efficiently faded away.  Borthwick gave a splendid display at centre half, as did Peake for Liverpool, Crawford was often beaten by the Everton left wing. 

Athletic News - Monday 17 January 1910
Middlesbrough .1.  Everton 1.
[By Vulcan.]
The attendance at Ayresomc Park of 17.000 (£625) did not come up to expectations, but the result—a draw—was very satisfactory from Borough Point of view. The game was played on a holding turf and in dull weather, rain falling most of the time.  As compared with the teams which drew 1 —1 in a League game on the same ground in December there were several changes on both sides, and White, who came into the Everton team at the last moment, singularly enough had the honour of scoring Everton’s only goal. Barlow was twice fouled by Aitken early on, but the free kicks were cleared. Then Pentland suffered an injury to the muscles of his thigh and had to retire. He returned ten minutes later, but was of very little service, although he gamely played the match out, and once gave Scott beautiful shot to negotiate. Everton were playing much the more aggressive football, Borough defence being kept very busy, but the visitors’ shooting left something to be desired.  Several corners tell to them, but the Borough‘s robust and excellent backs rarely allowed the ball to get near Williamson. However, after 25 minutes, Barlow, who was being left pretty much to himself by Aitken, got in neat centre, and the ball going to White, he shot a splendid goal. The ball had been restarted but a moment when Thackeray rushed away, and on nearing goal shot from acute angle.
Shortly afterwards Thackeray, receiving from Young, raced along the wing, and dropped in long shot. Scott was prepared, but Taylor got in the way, and the ball hitting him on the leg was deflected way from the custodian and into the net amid a storm of cheering. Everton playing with great dash, Sharp came very near, striking M'Leod on the legs, and glancing away into safety. Young, of Middlesbrough, had the ball forced on to his  hands in a melee in the penalty area, but the fact, was evidently not noticed by the officials, and play proceeded, the score being one all at the interval. As an indication of the pressure brought to bear on the Borough defence, nine corners were conceded, Middleborough failing get one.  Indeed, the whole game, Everton had twelve to the Borough's two.  Freeman ended a fine solo effort with a wild shot over the crossbar, and Barlow gave Williamson grand shot which the custodian smartly cleared. Fast, vigorous, and very good football continued to be shown by both sides, but it was Everton who most frequently looked like scoring.
The teams meet again on Wednesday. The Borough players went to Saltburn last night, and will journey on to Merseyside possibly on the afternoon previous to the match. There is no question about the Borough being unfortunate in having Pentland crocked so soon after the start, as he had been doing so well in the two previous games. The attack was upset by in is mishap, Elliott was fairly satisfactory, but Bloomer was not a success at centre.  His work in the open was very good, but he was not a source of danger to his opponents in front of goal, getting in but two really high class shots during the game. True, was not alone in this respect. Hall played a sound, useful game, and Thackeray, too, did very well. Young and Verrill did splendidly at half, but Aitken allowed the Wigan amateur far too much scope, and the Evertonian as a result stood out on his own as the most dangerous forward playing. M'Leod and Watson were equally sound, playing with admirable judgment. Williamson was masterly, and the Borough defenders have every reason to congratulate themselves on only having one goal scored against them. On the Everton side the vanguard, as a body, were the superior of those representing the Borough. Sharp was very fine at times, and he and White were responsible for some very pretty movements. Freeman kept his men in hand grandly, and did his share of the work well, but was little better than Bloomer in his marksmanship. Young and G. H. Barlow were the most dangerous wing, and once the amateur almost scored in the first half. In clever style he secured the ball when Young (Middlesbrough) tried to let it go by and keep his opponent off.  Barlow worked it into goal and sent in a shot that Watson managed to head away.  Harris, Taylor and Makepeace were grand, the backs were brilliant and Scott clearing all shots but the one that he had no chance with.  Middlesbrough;- Williamson; McLeod, Watson; Aitken, Young, Verrill; Pentland, Elliott, Bloomer, Hall and Thackeray.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconachie; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp, White, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow.  Referee.  J.H. Smith (Doncaster). 

January 17, 1901. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round One.
It is acknowledged that there are in the Everton ranks some of the finest players in the country, but somehow the Goodison Park club have not been able to rise to the required standard of excellence as a combination this season. For one thing the “Blues” have had more than their share of accidents to players, whilst illness has proved a serious handicapped to the advance of more than one member of the team, and these causes have helped materially in the deterioration of the side. However, with the advent of the Cup-ties, it would appear as though the clouds were dispersing and the silver lining making its appearance. True they did not win their tie outright, on Saturday in the first round of the Cup, but Sharp and his merry men accomplished the next best thing, they earned the right to fight out the issue over again, this time with the advantage of playing before their own supporters. The form shown by the men was far in advance of anything they have shown us for a considerable period, and had they been favoured by the least luck there would have been no necessity for a replay. The home side were fortunate to gain the right to fight another day. There were two goals scored in the match, and Everton men drove both of these into the net. White's goal counted on the right side but unfortunately for Everton Taylor was the means of equalising the scores. After Everton had opened the score, the home team went right away from the restart, and the ball went out to Thackeray, who swung it across the goal. Taylor and Makepeace were waiting for the leather, with the left half behind the veteran. As the ball came on Taylor tried to reach it, believing that one of the home forwards was in position quite close to him. The veteran just got the edge of his boot to the ball, but the leather was diverted towards his own goal, and what was intended for a centre was thus transformed into a shot. Scott was not expecting anything like this to happen, and although he made a dive at the ball, it curled just inside the post. There appeared every chance of the ball being cleared had the veteran allowed it to pass him. Still with the best of intentions to help his side, Taylor was unfortunate enough to put his opponents on level terms. This was not the only piece of bad luck, which the “Blues” experienced, and they were so much the better side, that they ought to have won with ease. Their prospects for the replay are thus bright.

The “Blues” as a whole showed a marked advance, the combination and dash of the forwards, the excellent work of the half-backs, and the cool, effective play of the backs gave satisfaction. The only pity was that the forwards were rather inclined to manicure unduly for position. Still, it must be said that the home backs played heavily on the visiting front line, and stopped at nothing to prevent their getting into a shooting position. A few details of the play will suffice. The game on the whole was of the typical cup tie order, fast, open football being witnessed. At times perhaps, the play was rather ragged, but generally it was a hard contest with Everton holding the upper hand, despite the rather vigorous methods adopted by certain Middlesbrough players. The opening exchanges were even both ends being visited in turn, and after midfield play there was some long kicking by the respective backs. An attack on the home left was nearly cleared by Macconnachie and soon afterwards the same player brought off another neat movement, but in doing so he hurt his ankle. He was able to resume after a few moments, and then Pentland broke down. He was going for the ball when suddenly, and had to be carried off the field. It transpired that he strained the muscles of his thign, and although he retained later he was obviously in difficulties, and was little more than a passenger.

Whilst the winger was off the field G.H. Barlow put in a very clever piece of play on the Everton left. The ball was kicked towards the home goal, and McLeod expecting the leather to carry over the line, stepped back to hold off the little amateur. Barlow, however, whipped round the back, and prevented the leather going over the line. He was at once tackled but with rare plucky, and determination the Everton winger struck to the ball and put in a clever piece of dribbling in a very limited space until he found himself three or four yards from goal. To the disappointment of his colleagues, however, he shot right across the goalmouth and a golden opportunity was lost. The explanation for his failure was the face that in the short struggle, during which he got the better of the Middlesbrough backs, he was accidentally struck in the eye by an opponent, and was momentarily blinded by some mud, and, as he said himself, he tried to get rid of the ball the best way he could so enable one of his colleagues to try. This was one of the most exciting incidents of the first half, but Everton's goal was the result of a fine bit of judgement. Makepeace got the ball, and seeing a chance he rushed right up the wing, and nearing the line, he placed right in front of goal. Freeman did not quite get to the ball, but White made no mistake with his shot. The home team's equalising point has already been referred to Bloomer, once had a chance, but he shot over the bar, and Everton, although they and the better of the exchanges, were unable to add to their score. White was responsible for one fine effort, whilst Barlow hit the crossbar with a terrific shot. In the closing stages Everton tried hard but there was always the danger of the home team getting a chance goal when they broke away near the finish. However, the Everton backs were safe, and the game ended with Everton swarming round Williamson.

Everton played better than they have done for a long time. The forwards allowed dash whilst they swung the ball about in great style. The inclusion of White instead of Coleman was a bit of a surprise, but the directors though they were justified in trying the Scottish international in that position. As matter turned out, the move was successful, as White played a very good game and opened out the play considerably. He was about the best of the line, but Barlow and Young ran him close. The left wing pair played excellent football, the ameteur being in great trim, and his pluck in facing a robust back like McLeod caused general satisfaction, to the few Liverpool people present at the match. Freeman was not too prominent, whilst Sharp, although putting in a lot of valuable work has done better. The middlemen were an excellent trio. Makepeace who has not been too well of late, being the pick whilst the veteran Taylor apart from his one mistake played a rare good game. One of the most satisfactory features of the match, however, was the brilliant defensive exhibition given by Maconnachie and Clifford. So effective were they that Scott had practically nothing to do, and altogether he handed the ball about half a dozen times in the match. Williamson brought off some clever saves. He had a great deal to do with his sides living to fight on Wednesday. The backs were very shaky, and often enough infringed the rules, whilst McLeod was rather too vigorous in as treatment of the visiting forwards. The injury to Pentland upset the home line to some extent, but generally they were not good enough. The attitude of the crowd was very unsportmanlike. All through the game the Evertonians were subjected to a running fire of hooting. A section of the spectators on this ground have a very unavailable reputation for their vocal treatment of visitors. The gate receipts amounted to £620. The replay is fixed for Wednesday, at Goodison Park. Kicked off 2, o'clock. Teams: - Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, McLeod, and Watson, backs, Aitken (Captain), R. Young, and Vertill, half-backs, Pentland, Elliott, Bloomer, Hall, and Thackeray, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee J.H. Smith.

January 17 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 21)
By reason of a 3-2 victory over Liverpool at Goodison Park on Saturday Everton reached the leading position possible. It was a fine game between the rival reserves when the wetched state of the ground is taken into consideration, but Everton accounted themselves better to the conditions in the first half especially and were entitled to the points. Liverpool made a galliant fight, for after Lacey putting Everton in front early on Spearman equalised soon after the change of ends and Randle added a second however Jones and Gourlay scored for the Blues who eventually won by three goals to two. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Mcfarlane, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford forwards.

Dundee Evening Telegraph -Wednesday 19 January 1910
At Goodison Park before 10,000 spectator? The Blues won the toss. Middlesbrough made two changes, Common appearing for Pentland and Cail centre. Middlesbrough opened well, Taylor clearing and setting Freeman going, but the latter'e shot was weak. Everton were the more prominent, and the forwards were in shooting form. Cail scored for Middlesbrough directly afterwards, Taylor equalising, whilst Freeman scored second for Everton. Interval:— Everton, 2; Middlesbrough, 1. Everton deserved their interval lead. Still, Middlesbrough played well. The resumption had only been made four minutes when Young scored Everton's third goal. Later Scott brought off a brilliant save from Thackeray, and was injured in a scrimmage. Connon from cross by Verne scored seoond for the 'Borough, which was followed a third from Bloomer. Makepeace added a fourth for Everton, while White further increased their lead with fifth. Final result:— EVERTON 5 MIDDLESBROUGH 3

Sheffield Evening Telegraph -Wednesday 19 January 1910
This tie was replayed at Goodison Park this afternoon. Everton's team was unchanged, whilst in the Middlesbrough side Common appeared for Pentland, Bloomer playing inside right, and Call at centre. Teams: Everton.—Scott, goal: Clifford and Maconnachie, backs; Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs; Sharp, White, Freeman, Young, and (J. H). Barlow, forwards. Middlesbrough.—Williamson. Goal; McLeod and Watson, backs; Aitken, Young, and Verrill, half-backs; Common, Bloomer, Cail, Hall, Thackeray, forwards. The visitors opened strongly, Taylor clearing. At the other end Freeman had a good chance, but finished poorly. Neither set forwards shot well. Watson and McLeod defending grandly for Middlesbrough. From attack on the Everton goal, Cail scored. Immediately after Taylor equalised. The "blues" continued attack, but Williamson was in grand form. The same time the Everton forwards missed many chances. Cail was unfortunate striking the Everton crossbar. Clifford cleared well, and more Everton pressed, Freeman giving them the lead. A long shot from Harris was ably dealt with Williamson. Everton held their advantage to the interval. Half-time: —Everton v ... 2 Middlesbrough 1 Resuming, before increased attendance, Everton attacked, Young scoring a third. Sharp, later, put across the goalmouth, hitting the post, but from the rebound, sent outside. Thackeray gave Scott a handful, but the keeper cleared brilliantly. Common put second for the Borough, Bloomer adding third. Both sides tried for the leading point, but both defences held up well. At length Makepeace scored fourth for Everton. And White a fifth. Result: —EVERTON 5 MIDDLESBROUGH 3

January 20 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round One Replay.
After a rather remarkable game at Goodison Park yesterday Everton defeated Middlesbrough and earned the right to meet Woolwich Arsenal in the second round of the English Cup competition. Everton had shown such good form at Middlesbrough on Saturday that a win for them was confidently looked for yesterday but although they were the superior side practically all through, it was only in the last five minutes that they got the lead. Although Everton had been pressing heavily it looked as though extra time would be necessary, but then Makepeace capped a fine performance with a clever goal, and White adding another soon afterwards, Everton won by 5 goals to 3. Everton superiority was far more marked than the score would indicate, for the Blues were generally the attacking side and Sharp twice hit the post with hard drives, but Everton's first goal was a lucky affair. The Borough set up a record in that they had never before scored three goals in a match at Goodison. Indeed their previous visits something like seven in number had realised only four goals. But though they scored thrice, their forwards were a poor lot, and it was due chiefly to the defence of Williamson and his two backs that Everton's victory was not more pronounced.

Everton were in the happy position of being able to play the same team as on Saturday, but Middlesbrough were without Pentland, who was injured and played Common at outside right. Cail resuming at centre Bloomer partnering Common. It was a hard struggle all through, and the sensational finish resulted in quite a demonstration on the part of the delighted spectators. At the outset the visitors were the more aggressive, and a hot shot from Bloomer was luckily charged down. Afterwards, however, Everton pressed strongly despite an erratic and boisterous wind but Williamson saved finely from White, Young, and Makpeace, and Sharp. It came as a surprise when in 20 minutes, Cail beat Scott and gave the visitors the lead, but Taylor equalised three minutes later. Williamson had saved splendidly from Young and punched out a header, from Taylor when however, got hold again and rebound from the underside of the crossbar. Williamson caught the ball all right, but in trying to throw clear he allowed it to twist out of his hands into the net. Everton did nearly all the pressing, but fine work by Williamson and their own mistakes near goal prevented Everton taking the lead until eight minutes from the interval, when freeman scored at close range from Young's pass. The Borough nearly equalised for Scott turned Cail's header against the bar, and when the centre forward got possession again he sent just wide.

Directly after the interval Sharp hit the post and sent across goal from the rebound, when only a yard from the goal line. Young, however, scored from Sharp's centre four minutes after the change of ends, and with Everton leading 3-1 the game seemed as good as ever. But then came a sensational change, for from a cross by Verrill, Common scored at close range, while 15 minutes' play Bloomer made the score level. This goal was a curious one. Bloomer was standing yards offside when the ball come to him off one of the Everton halves, and he promptly drove it into the net. Afterwards the visitors made some dangerous rushes, but Everton attacked almost persistently. Sharp hit the post with a terrific shot and severe times centred finely, but the Borough defence held out until five minutes from time, when Makepeace scored a fine goal from a centre by White, who completed the scoring three minutes later with a clever goal.

Everton had a big advantage at forward and half-back, but were not so conspicuous in defence, for Scott did not appear too safe though he had little chance with the goals and Clifford kicked badly at times. Macconnachie however, was in good form, and had no superior at back, while Makepeace played a sterling game all through and was the cleverest half-back on the field. His goal was a fitting reward for a clever performance. Taylor and Harris worked hard and with success, White forward more did better than Sharp, who was quite in his old form, though every man in the line did well. Middlesbrough were best represented by the defence. Williamson keeping a fine goal despite his one mistake and McLeod and Watson showing sturdy defence. Young was a long way their best half, while the extreme wing forwards were poor, and the best of the line was Cail. There were 20,000 spectators present, the gate receipts amounting to £550. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Maconnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (captain), White, Freeman, Young and G.H. Barlow forwards. Middlesbrough: - Williamson goal, McLeod, and Watson, backs, Aitken, R. Young, and Verrill, half-backs, Common, Bloomer, Cail, Hall, and Thackeray, forwards. Referee JH Smith.

Athletic News- Monday 24 January 1910
Everton 2 Preston North End 1
(By Junius)
The Goodison Park enclosure presented a totally diffierent aspect for the League game with Preston North End, from that which prevailed in the Cup-tie with Middlesbrough.  For weeks the surface had been soft and slippery, but a sudden spell of frost had hardened the pitch, and it was fortunate for all concerned that the ground had been well rolled the previous  day and plentifully besprinkled with sand.  Taylor, and Sharp were unable to turn out for Everton. But though Borthwick ably deputized for nthe old Dumbarton player.  Michael made a very indifferent substitute for the outside right position, and seemed unable to adapt himself to the conditions.  Three goals were scored in the game, and curiously enough each emanated from half-back lines.  Makepeace gave Everton the lead from a centre by Harris, and the method of its accomplishment was very similar to that which enabled the left winger to gain the deciding point in the Cup-tie with Middlesbrough.  During the first half, Scott did not handle the ball half a dozen times, and the shooting of both sets of forwards was greatly hampered by the nature of the ground.  After the change of ends Harris seemed likely to go clean through of ends, Harris seemed likely to go clean through, when McCall handled the ball, and a penalty was awarded, which enabled Makepeace to place Everton still further in front.  Preston roused themselves after this, and Mounteney just missed scoring while Scott saved splendidly from Danson.  Eventually from a corner – the first of this half which North End gained –Platt placed so accurately that Scott could only partially clear, and McCall with a fast shot registered a clever goal.
The Everton Players
The conditions appeared to affect the North End forwards more than the Everton front line, though there were two exceptions in the latter combination.  Michael was much below his usual form, and the approach of Rodway seemed to extinguish all his ability straight away.  Ample opportunities were afforded him by White and Borthwick, but they were invariably bungled.  On the left wing Barlow was not seen to advantage, but the three inside forwards shaped creditably, their combination being on occasions distinctly clever.  The half-backs were excellent and Makepeace was the most prominent of the trio.  His recently acquired habit of scoring goals is a matter deserving of every encouragement.  Borthwick opened out the play judiciously and tackled well, while Harris was a rare worker all through, and was primarily responsible for the goals that were gained by his comrades.  The defence was good, Macconnachie playing a stylish and effective game.  Clifford kicked very steadily, and, as a consequence, Scott was relived of anxiety.  The keeper made one delightful save from Danson, but as a rule the Preston forwards boycotted him.  Like their opponents, Preston could boast of a sturdy and reliable pair of backs, while their intermediate line was also particularly strong.  McBride was seldom requisitioned, and, as already stated, Rodway easily held the Everton right-winger.  McFadyen had more difficult task, but the pair kicked cleanly, and only once –when the right-back brought down Michael –could any exception be taken to their play.  Holdsworth proved a capital half-back, and his clever footwork deserved better support from the men in front of him.  McCall excelled in defence, but Holdsworth was a potent factor in attack.  Lyon was not so prominent as usual, and the forwards were never able to develop a sustained onslaught.  McLean could make but little headway against Borthwick, and the two wings seldom advanced in dangerous fashion.  Their best work came near the finish, and in the last quarter of an hour they shaped in something like the style expected from them.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Michael, White, Freeman, Young and G.H. Barlow.  Preston North End; McBride; McFadyen, Rodway; Holdsworth, McCall, Lyon; Platt, Bannister, McLean, Mounteney and Danson.  Referee T. Robertson, Glasgow. 

January 24, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
It was a very tame affair at Goodison Park on Saturday, the only satisfactory feature being that Everton gained the narrowest of victories by two goals one over their old opponents Preston North End. The state of the ground had a lot to do with the uninteresting nature of the contest. After the cutting up to which it had been subjected in the replayed Cup-tie with Middlesbrough, the keen frost rendered the surface treacherous, so that it was not surprising that the players on both sides were unable to let themselves go, and that mistakes were frequent. At no period of the encounter were the spectators roused to anything enthusiasm.

The play calls for little description. Everton secured the honours, and on the whole they fully deserved their success. It was rather remarkable that although three goals were scored not one shot by a forward. The only product of the opening half was a goal from Makepeace, who scored with a lovely drive (Free-kick) which sailed under the bar, rendering McBride quite helpless to avert defeat. Everton's second goal was the outcome of a clear penalty. Makepeace who was captain in the absence of Sharp, took the penalty kick , and had the satisfaction of registering his second success of the match. (After McCall fisted a Wily White cross) It was only after this that North End imparted any real earnestness to their work. They managed to reduce the margin, but again it was a half-back who scored. Macoconachie was obliged to grant a corner, and after Scott had fisted away from Platt's clever flag kick, McCall returned the ball into the net.

The feature of a colourless game was the scoring success of the half backs Makepeace and McCall. None of the forwards did anything out of the ordinary. Michaels proved an indifferent substitute for Sharp, though there was some excuse even for his ineffectiveness. The Everton halves –Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace –had little difficulty in dealing with the spasmodic efforts of the North End attack, while Clifford and Macconnachie rarely permitted Scott to be troubled. McBride, too, had few calls made upon him, the visiting defence being by far the better part of the team. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs Michaels, White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Preston North End: - McBride, goal McFaryen, and Rodway, backs, Holdsworth, McCall, and Lyon, half-backs, Platt, Bannlaley, McLean, Mounteney, and Dawson forwards. Referee T. Robinson.

January 24, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 22)
Everton were beaten by a solitary goal at Preston. It was a hard-fought game despite the frozen state of the ground, but the defenders on both sides held the upper hand, and the only goal was put on by Winterhalmer, the former Everton player, in the second half, after the visitors had quite as much of the game as their opponents. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, McFarlane, Lacey Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards.

January 29, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton yesterday secured the transfer of Scott, Grimsby Town's clever goal keeper. The price is not stated, but it is known to be the largest fee ever received by Grimsby, who had previously refused offers of over £1,000 from First Division clubs. Scott's transfer has been rendered imperative, owing to the heavy debt' the club has incurred during the present distrous season.

Dundee Evening Telegraph-Thursday 27 January 1910
Who Played for Scotland Internationals.
The death occurred at Panmure Street, Arbroath, of David Storrier the well-known footballer. Deceased had been in indifferent health for a considerable period, and latterly his condition gave rise to no hope recovery. He commenced his football career in the Arbroath Dauntless, at that time a well-known local combination. He then played Arbroath as centre-half, securing several inter-county- honours. From Arbroath he went to Everton, first playing in the second Everton, and then full back in the first eleven. Storrier crossed the Border again and signed with the Celtic.

While with the Glasgow team 1899 he received several international honours, besides captaining Celtic, which that year the Scottish Cup. He played in the Scottish team against England along with Doig, of Arbroath, in goal. After a term with the Celtic signed for Dundee, and afterwards returned to England, joining Millwall. Six or seven years ago he retired from the game, and started business Arbroath.

GRIMSBY TOWN Transfer Walter Scott
Sheffield Daily Telegraph -Saturday 29 January 1910
Walter Scott to Everton.
Grimsby Town Football club yesterday transferred their goalkeeper. Walter Scott, to Everton, and though the amount the transfer fee is not made known at Grimsby, it generally spoken having gone into four figures. The transfer has been brought about owing to the financial difficulties in which the Grimsby Club has been placed during the present season, difficulty that at one time almost threatened to bring about the extinction of the club the close of the present season. Though Grimsby Town occupy the lowliest piece in the Second Division the League, their goalkeeper has been looked upon one of the finest in the competition. His remarkable success in stopping penalty shots has earned him the title all over the country of "Great Scott." Last season stopped three penalties awarded to Burnley in one match, and easily topped the list of penalty saver?. Scott has played for Grimsby for two and a half seasons, joining the club from Worksop, after he attracted the attention the Grimsby directors in Midland League match. During the present season many clubs have made overtures secure Scott's transfer. Everton being one the first to seek his services.

Manchester Courier-Saturday 29 January 1910
Scott, the well-known goalkeeper for Grimsby Town, was, yesterday, transferred to Everton. The price is not stated but it is known to the largest fee ever received at Grimsby, who had previously refused offers of over £1,000 from First League clubs. Scott's transfer has been rendered imperative owing to the heavy debt the club has incurred during the present disastrous season. Everton have now two goalkeepers the name of Scott. William, who has been with the club for five years, has represented his country, Ireland, on many occasions, and has been granted a joint benefit with Jack Sharp. The Irish guardian of the breach regarded by good judges the cleverest man of the day between the posts, and his namesake, who rejoices in the name of Walter, has been for some time considered the best goalkeeper in the Second Division. The fact that last saved 14 out of 16 kicks taken in the sacred area earned for him the title Penalty King." and those who witnessed his display against Manchester City at Ardwick Boxing Day, will be ready to bear testimony to the gift he seemed to possess for divining the intentions of opposing forwards. Scott, who was born at Worksop 23 years ago. Has first anxious play half back, but injury to his brother William, who was that time playing in for Worksop reserve, led to his filling the breach with marked distinction, and in that position has figured ever since. Everton's latest recruit is a powerfully built man. standing nearly six feet in height and weighing 11st. will shortly have an opportunity in playing for Everton league team, William So ‘it will captain Ireland England Belfast the 12th of February.

January 29, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The death is announced of Dave Storrier, the former Everton player, and Scottish internationals. Storrier was a noted half-back with the Celtic and Dundee Clubs, and came to Everton as a centre-half. After a time he was drafted to full-back and assisted the club in that position for several seasons, he and Peter Meechan being the backs when Aston Villa beat Everton in the English Cup final in 1897. In that season also Everton won the Lancashire Cup. Storrier returned to Scotland and played for the Celtic. In 1899 he assisted Scotland in all three internationals engagements. Afterwards he played for Millwall and on giving up football he set up in business in his native town of Arbroath. He had been in failing health for some time, and passed away on Thursday at the early age of 37. Standing about 5 feet 11 inches and weighting over 13 stone, Storrier was a splendid player and played a great game for Everton at back although the Cup-ties in the 1896-97 season.




January 1910