Everton Independent Research Data


January 2, 1911. The Liverpool Echo.
Previously a week ago to-day Everton visited Newcastle, and were beaten by a margin of 1-0. The Tynesides since the respective clubs have waged League warfare, have generally had the best of the argument; but Everton hoped to reverse the away result and thus start the New Year well, Newcastle it must be remembered, had travelled to Bristol, but returned via Southport where they put up for the week-end. Newcastle to-day made several changes, McCracken's place was taken by Carr, while Higgins dropped to centre half, vice Low. Thus Stewart crossed over to inside right; and Randle partnered Wilson. Everton were unchanged. Teams: - Everton: - William Scott, goal, Stevenson and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Beare, A. Young, Gourlay, and Turner, forwards. Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, Hudspeth, and Carr, backs, Veitch (Captain), Higgins, and Finlay, Half-backs, Duncan, Stewart, Shepherd, Randle, and G. Wilson, forwards. When I was up at Newcastle last week a follow journalist told me to expect a large contingent of Geordies as the Northerners had charactered all the saloons some time before the holidays. It was quite easy to distinguish the supporters of the famous Tynesiders the large crowd which numbered some 50,000. The little conter boy again made his appearance, but the teams soon got to business, and for the first few minutes it was Everton's business to assault the Newcastle stronghold. With the advantage of a useful breeze the Blues carried the attack all along the wing, and one of the most conspicuous men early in the game was “Sandy” Young. Thanks to some cute passes from his wings, the centre put in some splendid work. First there was clever dove-tailing between Beare and Berry, the former taking the outside berth, but finishing badly. However, “Sandy” Young came sailing in from a series of throw-in, and was just a foot too late in pushing the ball pass Lawrence, who had come out of his goal. Yet it was not all plain sailing for the Blues, for Stewart and Shepherd were within an ace of beating all opposition, while on the other wing Randle with little space in which to turn, drove in a fast ground ball which Scott did well to save cleanly. We had an early example of the splendid form of Shepherd, the ex-Bolton Wanderers simply refusing to give up possession in a fine single effort. R. Young and Balmer were beaten in turn, but Stevenson raced across and granted a fruitless corner, if the turf was slippery in places, the football was nevertheless fast and keen, Hudspeth the young Newcastle full back, who Everton were neatly signing, safely disposed of the Everton left, playing well with both head and feet. Still, the Everton front rank showed any account of pace, and clearances, but there was still that lack of finish. For example Beare should have opened the blues account from a centre by Berry, which was too far for Lawrence, who came out of his goal to punch safely away. The goalkeeper it is true handled the ball, although impeded by his player but all he could do was plant it at the feet of Beare, who with an untenanted goal at his mercy, shot over the bar. A moment later Berry from Beare's wide pass shot over. It was exhilarating football to say the leasts. Play swung from end to end both goals in swift succession being in danger of downfall. The Everton defence, with the exception of Stevenson, failed to weight up the volatile Shepherd. One of the most exciting incidents of the match, however, occurred when Lawrence bouncing the ball ran away from his goal. He evaded Beare, but was dispossessed by Berry. A struggle ensued between goalkeeper, and forward near the corner, resulting in a corner, which brought nothing tangible. There was coolness and accuracy in front of goal along the Newcastle forwards, contrasting with Everton's unconvincing methods. Young defected one shot of Shepherd's in, and just as we feared it was entering the net at the corner, Scott saved splendidly. The Tynesiders passed and repassed in front of, goal to find an opening, but they seldom overdid it. Neither goalkeeper's charge was safe. Lawrence tactics having to more to the penalty line to secure the ball. Hudspeth made a bad blunder in trying to check “Sandy” Young, but he raced across to the left, and cleared finely from Turner. Incident followed swift on incident Shepherd racing between the backs to within four yards of Scott. It is seldom Shepherd shoots so badly, but he drove the ball straight against Scott's charge, and looked very disconsolate at missing such a chance. Then there was fresh excitement at the other end, Lawrence twice handling the ball. Makepeace, who had hardly checked the Newcastle right so effectively as he is want, was temporarily injured. Berry tried to beat Finlay, but twice the Novocastrian came off best. Higgins was not a success at centre half, but the football; all round left little to the desired. Newcastle were swift and decisive, though Shepherd once shot wretchedly. Everton had a lot to thank Stevenson for the brisk tackling with unserring accuracy and seldom vasting a ball. Eight minutes from the interval, however, Finlay handed a centre from Turner, two or three yards outside the penalty area. Makepeace took the free kick carefully, feinting to take the kick, them drawing luck and passing to Beare, who nipped in and beat Lawrence with a fast left foot drive. The reverse inspired Newcastle to better things, but Shepherd was grandily beaten as he was in the cat of shooting by Stevenson. “Steve” was the best back on the field. Towards the interval Everton came in great style up to a point. That point was the shooting zone, and there they failed. Half-time Everton one Newcastle United nil.

With a bit of luck, Newcastle might well have scored a couple of goals in the first half, but without question Makepeace's tactical particularly deserved a goal. Newcastle restarted with the obvious attentions of getting on terms swiftly, and in the first minutes they forced a corner. The danger was not averted until Shepherd shot at a tremendous pace wide of the mark. What I liked about Shepherd was his promptitude. There was no hesitation and his shooting if not always on the target, was on the finest order. Newcastle's football was splendid, and so it was fortunate that Everton's defence played well. Except for a few efforts of “Sandy” Young, who had for its termination a long feeble shot, the visitors did all the attacking, when the ball was sent down the centre Shepherd was certain to be in a position to receive it, and it was perhaps, fortunate that a brilliant pace of headwork by Robert Young, intercepted a long pass up the middle. It must be confessed that Everton were not in the picture just now. It was principally due to Stevenson anticipation and taking that Wilson and Randle in turn did not equalise. Young, Beare, and Berry engineered the incursion that looked like being productive, but Hudspeth nipped it in the bud. Then Duncan came through all opposition in great style. He beat Balmer, and coming inside shot hard, but Scott dashed across in goal and barely turned the ball round the post. However, from the resulting corner Randle headed the equaliser despite the frantic efforts of R. Young to avert disaster. It was a goal similar to Beares on Saturday in that Raeside was standing under the bar and had only to touch the ball. Shepherd was thrice to administer the cup-de-grace, but Randle did the trick after fifteen minutes. Newcastle in midfield were nippy irresistible, and Everton could not a anywhere near Lawrence excepting a corner which Turner secured and a free kick for hands against Randle. This having led up to a hot melee and it was really a marvel how Lawrence saved Beare's shot at close range. Everton came nearer scoring at this juncture than they had been for twenty-five minutes, Newcastle had been near it nearly ever minute that time. Scott turned a long shot from Randle over the bar, and had saved from the resulting corner. Again he was brought to his knees to save a grand drive from the same player. Stewart dribbled when the might have parted to Shepherd with advantage. Still, United continued to hold the upper hand. Lawrence takes risks in coming out of goal, and though he picked the ball up from “Sandy” Young's toe, I am sure that the risk was justified. Scott nearly let a shot from George Wilson slip, through his fingers, and Stewart had a glorious opening when Stevenson, owing to an accident had to be carried off. This was bad luck for the Blues, for Stevenson had not been a moment gone when Balmer headed a pass to the Newcastle right, behind him Duncan ran in, and passed to Shepherd, who calmly took the ball within a few yards of Scott and beat him to pieces. I learn that Stevenson was kicked on the muscles of his right knee. Well, there was no holding Newcastle now. They had the measure of Everton all this half, and Everton were a beaten team, when Shepherd raced in and scored a third. and when in an offside position left the ball to Duncan, who scored a fourth. Bob Young now went right back, Everton having been playing one back. Shepherd scored a fifth and Newcastle won by five goals to one.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 02 January 1911
At Goodison Park the match between Everton and Middlesbrough was played in fine weather, before 15,000 spectators. Everton tried Beare at inside right, instead of Lacey; otherwise the side remained unchanged, while the visitors' team was considerably altered. The play proved very even at the start, but after ten minutes Beare scored for Everton and then the gane was fought out at a great pace. In the second half Everton were the more dangerous. A Young tested Williamson with a fine shot, andf on another occasion he struck the bar. Berry and R. Young also tested Williamson but the keeper was very safe. The visitors had a good share of the game, but Scott had not a great deal to do. Near the finish R. Young scored Everton scored from a penalty.

Athletic News - Monday 02 January 1911
Some of the admirers of the Everton goalkeeper- William Scott –have showed their appreciation of his skill as a footballer in a tangible fashion.  From the Emerald Isle came a packet addressed to Mr. W.C. Cuff the Everton secretary, containing a gold watch, which will be presented to his intended recipient in due course.  There were also in the parcel a couple of shillings, one for Mr. Cuff, and the other for Scott, but what the intention in the mind of the donors was is somewhat obscure.  At any rate, it is to be hoped that there is no desire for the receiver to resort to extra measures with these deadly weapons. 

Athletic News - Monday 02 January 1911
After helping themselves to five points out of six in the Christmas holidays, Bury went down before Everton Reserve at Gigg-Lane by the odd goal in five.  The Evertonians played a fine oopen game in the first half, and scored three goals through Chedgzoy, Magner, and Grenyer, while Wood put one up for Bury, for whom Smith afterwards scored from a penalty kick.  On the player Bury deserved one of the points, though Everton displayed much finer football. 

Athletic News - Monday 02 January 1911
Everton 2, Middlesbrough 0
By Junius
The team hailing from the banks of the Tees must by this time have a sincere respect for the Goodison Park ground, for they have yet to gain their first victory on this enclosure.  Their newly-organised combination fared no better than the cosmopolitan eleven of previous years, and by two clear goals Everton gained a victory which was thoroughly deserved.  It cannot be said that the play ever reached a high standard, for the respective forward divisions, though often clever in midfield, were lacking in incisiveness when within shooting range.  The visitors were more culpable in this respect than the Everton front line, and yet Williamson was not tested to the extent that should have been the case had their chances of scoring been properly utilized by the Goodison attackers.  But whereas the effort of the two  frontal divisions were ragged and inaccurate in the finishing touches, the defence on both sides was wonderfully sound. 
Due Beare
Everton wasted little time in obtaining their first goal, which came with seasonable greetings, for it was due to the combination of Berry and Beare.  The latter, who was figuring at inside right, had just previously tested Williamson with a difficult lofty drive, when the play was transferred to the lefr wing.  Turner beat McLeod in heading the ball, and centred so accurately that the Middlesbrough custodian could only fist it upwards, and Beare promptly headed into goal.  After this success Everton deteriorated, and the Tees-sider had quite as much of the game as their opponents.  Repeatedly did Davidson race away and place across delightful centres, while once he ran close in, only to send against the side of the net.  The quondam Airdrie amateur, during the remainder of this half, was the outstanding personality in the visitors’ advances, but when it came to a question of shooting all the front ranks were equally at fault.  Everton were little better, but Berry the amateur, forced a corner, from which he placed so dangerous that one of the defenders handled, and a penalty kick being awarded.  R. Young registered the second point, and the end came with Everton preserving their goal intact for the tenth time this season. 
Determined Defenders
Some excellent work in defence was witnessed, and in this respect there was little to choose between the opposing players.  As already stated, Scott was not severely tested and his most difficult problems to solve were enunciated by Davidson, whose centres were –especially in the first half – decidedly disconcerting.  In front of the Irish international were two capital full backs and it is a compliment to the old Accrington player Stevenson to state that his inclusion in the team since Macconnachie’s enforced retirement has not diminished the efficacy of the Everton defence.  No weakness was noticeable at half-back, but instead an aggressive strength was always in evidence.  Robert Young fairly held his former club-mate –Pentland –and the displays of Makepeace and Harris were of the best.  Similarly on the Middlesbrough sides we were treated to some praiseworthy play in his usual meritorious fashion, and the resistance offered by McLeod and Weir was most creditable.  In the intermediate line Jackson was preminent, breaking up advances, and ceaselessly interfering with the preconceived notions of the Everton inside forwards.  He gave an excellent exhibition, and on his left Duguid was little inferior , for he showed a sympathy with his wing forwards that was deserving of some substantial reward.  Coming to the respective forward lines, I cannot continue in the same praise worthy strain.  Everton’s rearranged attack produced some occasional advances which opened out possibilities of success, but these were spasmodical, and not sustained.  Beare accomplished many smart bits of footwork, but he is not a forager, and he seemed to me to be playing the extreme wing game all the time.  Berry was neglected in the first half but his centres were dangerous, as were those of Turner .  Middlesbrough’s failing was their inability to send in a decent shot.  Their inters pedal movements were at times alluring to witness, but there was nothing tangible to show at the finish.  Davidson was the most effective of the frontal five, and though the other members of the line strove zealously here was not the same daintness of execution left-winger.  Much of their laborious endeavours was nullified by its erractic ending.  Everton; Scott (Wm); Stevenson, Balmer (R.); Harris, Young (R.), Makepeace; A. Berry, Beare, Young (A.), Gourlay, and Turner.  Middlesbrough; Williamson; McLeod, Weir; Barker, Jackson, Duguid; Peggie, Elliott, Pentland, McClure, and Davidson.  Referee; C.C. Fallowfield, London. 

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 03 January 1911
At Goodison Park in fine weather, and before 30,000 spectators. Newcastle humiliated Everton. Everton played the same team as on Saturday, but Newcastle made several changes. The play was of a very fast description at the outset, Shephwerd missing narrowly on two occasions. He was always dangerous. At the other end Beare shot over the bar, and Scott then saved grandly from Shepherd. Play continued to be fast and exciting, and Beare eventually scored for Everton, who led by the odd goal at the interval. Newcastle simply toyed with Everton in the second half, the home team being fairly outplayed. Randell equalised after 20 minutes' play, and during the remainder of the game Newcastle always had the pull. Stewart put on the second goal, and Shepherd the third, whilst Duncan got the fourth, Shepherd scored the fifth. Stevenson, who had played a quiet game for Everton had to be carried off injured.

January 3, 1911. The Liverpool Echo
A southern paper published this paragraph: - Player refused transfer –it is said that Everton offered a sum well over four figures and the transfer of Freeman, the old Woolwich and International forward, for the transfer of McLean, the Preston North End centre, but McLean refused to go. Mr. Cuff the Everton secretary when questioned about the report said it was rubbish and not a word of truth in it.

January 4, 1911. The Liverpool Echo.
Everton have had the League championship thrust at them this season on three different occasions, but the players have not responded, and the grit has gradually slipped away. Even now the club stands high in the League; but this is due to the leaders having given in and out form during the holidays. Everyone has seen for some time where Everton's weakness has lain. The defence throughout the season has been the one strong portion of the team. Go, back (even when Macconnachie and Balmer, were laid aside the reserves backs stood their trial with infinite credit, and aided Scott in keeping the goals against column less than any other club's), and half back there has been a regular ability displayed. Forward they have been a most variable lot, and their main fault lately has not only been an inability to shoot straight, and passing has been novice like. Changes were bound to follow. And four have been made for the visit to Everton on Saturday. Arthur Berry has an enlarged knee, and Makepeace as not thoroughly recovered from his injury of a month back, when he ricked the muscles of the back any one could see that Makepeace was not in the best of health in the last two games at Goodison Park. The directors met last night, and faced the situation with the result; Chedgzoy, Magner, Pinkney, and Allen come into the team due at Deepdale. All four are young and enthusiastic. Have they the necessary skill, Evertonians will ask. Well the right wing pair Chedgzoy and Pinkney have been partnering for three weeks in lancashire Combination matches. Pinkney useful services for Everton at the beginning of the season, his position being outside right. A trial in the inner berth, Chedgzoy being obtained from Burnell's Ironworks, filling the outer cover led a smart wing according to the folk who have followed the players. Chedgzoy played against Newcastle on Boxing Day, but he was overshadowed –and we do not marvel at this fact. He wanted to beat Newcastle's full-back rather than pass the ball across the goalmouth when he had the chance. But Chedgzoy is young and strong, if small built, and knowledgeable folk saw he must come into the first team sooner or later and hold a place regularly with the seniors. Magner makes his first appearance for the senior team. He has done a lot of spadework with the reserves team, and is not of the “showy” order of forwards. He came from Gainsborough Trinity at the back end of last season, and he has collected a fair member of goals. Beare is taken to his best place, the extreme of the wing, and “Sandy” Young is moved one pace from centre, probably with a view to keeping the young fellow on the move? The forward line might do much and on the other hand might not fit at all –well. They are lacking in height and weight, don't you think? There is no great physical strength in the attack, too, Agree? Still the directors were bound to make some move, for no change would have meant further limp at tasks. The old attack has scored 30 goals in 22 matches, and 25 points have accrued. Look now at Blackburn Rovers who have scored 36 goals in 21 matches, for 19 points. The deduction one makes from that is that while the Everton defence has been repelling attack upon attack from the opposition, the forwards cannot have used their opportunities, as they should have done. With the on-coming visit to Crystal Palace the club's dilemma in attack is most unfortunate. One good point about the team selection is the continual appearance of Stevenson, who was though to have an extremely severe blew on Monday. Correspondents, have puzzled their brains to find a solution to the trouble of the Blues, and one writer taking a typical example says: - I think the thin Blue line (with the accent on the thin) has been proved too frail to combat with robust League defences. My idea of a like which might have great penetrative powers in berry or Beare (either is good enough at inside right, (Lacey, Freeman, Gourlay, and Mountford. The last player has speed, weight, pluck, and sufficient cleverness to contribute him the best outside left at Everton command. This line would have all the speed and cleverness of the old one. Plus an added amount of weight and dash with would be bound to tell in their favour. Trusting I have not inflicted this luminous screed on you in vain, yours optimistically Ultramarine!

I really believe the absence of Lacey was a hasty judgement. He has weight and can and does work hard for others to shine.

January 7, 1911. The Liverpool Football Echo.
All Evertonians eyes were upon the Blues attack at Preston to-day for there had been mighty changes directed from the boardroom after the defeat from Newcastle. Youth was tried and while Chedgzoy made his second appearance, Pinkney and Allen returned again to the senior team. Magner made his League debut last season. Last season Everton won 1-0 at Deepdale. Quite a large number of supporters accompanied the Evertonians to Preston today. This was no doubt mainly due to the drastic and interesting changes made on the team, and a desire to see how the newcomers comported themselves. Preston was reached shortly before half pass one, and the day was an ideal one for football, the air being crisp and clear. The men proceeded to the ground, and all were reported fit and well. Deepdale, as usual, was on the soft side, and there was a goodly rung of spectators present when the Everton men appeared on the following order : - Everton: - William Scott, goal, Stevenson, and R. Balmer (captain), backs, Harris, R. Young, and Allan, half-back, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Magner A. Young, and Berae, forwards. Preston North End: - McBride, goal, English, and Rodway (Captain), backs, Holdsworth, McCall, and W. Wareing, half-backs, Thompson, Bannister, McLean, Dawson, and Winterhalmer, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Mason. It will be observed that with the exception of McFayden's absence, the home team were at full strength. There were about 6,000 spectators present when play started after a delay of five minutes owing to the non-appearance of one of the linesmen. Bob Smallio, the old goakeeper, took up the position, and Preston started towards the town goal. There was no advantage of wind, for the air was perfectly still. The home forwards were the first to make play on the left, but Stevenson was fully equal to the occasion, and Balmer was all there when Thompson and Bannister threatened danger. Desitory play in midfield led to another attack on the part of the home right, but the Everton defence was found, and Allen, giving the ball to Young, that player in turn passed to Magner who might have got through when he was robbed by English. Everton came along a moment later but the left, and the first dangerous shot of the game was sput in by Beare, who tested McBride with a fast rising effort that gave the home keeper some anxiety. The new Everton forwards line was now beginning to fall into working order, for Sandy Young and Beare got down the wing very prettily, and the latter centred with judgement, but Magner was much too slow, and a glorious opportunity was lost. The Preston forwards then took off at top speed, and both Everton backs were beaten, and McLean from short range shot high over the bar. The visitors once more took up the running, this time on the right, and Chedgzoy with a splendid oblique shot missed the goal by inches only. The game was now becoming very fast and both goals were visited in rapid succession, though no damage was done. Preston were perhaps the more persistent and a clever movement terminated in Dawson putting the leather just outside. For some time after the Preston monopolished the attack, and Stevenson was forced to concede a corner. This led to a tremendous bully in the Everton goalmouth, and Notts twice saved brilliantly from Winterhalmer. Still, the Prestonians kept pegging away, and a freekick against Allen close in look dangerous, Stevenson however, cleared, but a moment later Dawson ran in and almost scored with a low oblique shot that was only diverted at the cost of a corner. Everton then managed to break away on the left, and Beare showing a clean pair of heels to both Holdsworthy and English sent in a magnificent shot which struck the post. Preston were soon back again in front of Scott, and the latter was apparently off his guard while Wareing put the ball, outside. The visitors carrying war into the enemy camp followed more midfield work, Magner had a fine chance of running through, but he passed out to Beare, and the latter was promptly ruled offside. Then Sandy Young wriggled through, and shot almost at right angles. McBride saving his change at the expanse of a corner. This was cleared after some exciting incidents, and a second speedly followed this eventually being disposed of by Rodway. The Prestonians got going once more, and this time their efforts ought to have been crowned with success, for Bannister gave the leather to McLead when the clean had am open goal before him, but to the disappointing of the crowd he shot wide. Allen put in some quite and affective work, but English but a stop to Young's progress. The ball was then put out to the Everton right where Chedgzoy passed into Manger, but the latter was again too slow to take advantage of the opening. A break away by the home right was well checked by Balmer, but the homesters still kept in the pressure, and Holdsworth tried his luck with a long ground shot, which Scott fielded easily. The visitors made clever play on the left, and Beare again showed trickiness but his shot, was intercepted, and though a corner was then forced on the right. It pervaded no advantage, but the ball was put badly behind. In the last ten minutes if the first period both teams strove hard and Winterhalmer was about to shot when he was grassed with more vigour, and from the subsequent free kick the Everton goal was in jeopardy. The danger however, was cleared and Robert Young passing forward enabled Beare to give another clever exhibition. He literally waltzed round English and half the goal at his mercy when he lofted the ball over the bar. This, was a bad miss, which spoiled a really brilliant exhibition of footwork. The visitors at this time showing rather superior football, and getting down nicely Magner sent the ball spinning just outside the upright. Then the left wing pair were busy, and Beare dropped the leather right into the goalmouth, where McBride effected a useful bit of salvage, Balmer was penalised for fouling Thompson, but the subsequent free kick came to not thing, and the Evertonians again took up the attack. The wing got down and Pinkney tested the home keeper with a cross shot. Harris and Stevenson stopped a dangerous raid by Winterhalmer and Dawson, and the ball was in midfield when half-time score, Preston North End nil, Everton nil.

The first half had been a vigorous exhibition of football, and the new Everton forward line all things considered did not perform badly. The left wing had done several clever things. The Prestonians were the first to exert pressure in the second half, and Scott saved from Dawson and Winterhalmer. Bannister ran through and put the ball just outside. The Everton defenders were kept engaged for some time in defence of the attack of their opponents, but a length they made good progress and this time was to some purpose for Magner deliving the ball, put in a curling shot and McBride got to it, but the ball curled overhim and entered the net. Stimulated by this success Everton progressed to bombard the home goal, and it narrowly escaped a second capture for Chedgzoy passing across to Beare, the latter missed the net by a mere matter of inches. The game became faster than ever in the last twenty minutes and Preston might easily scored if they had not dallied so long in front of goal. They put in some so beauty, which Scott saved very cleverly, and in the other end Pinkney netted the ball from an obviously offside position. For some time Everton kept the home defence penned in their own quarters but the finishing touches of the visitors forwards were so better than those of their opponents. Seven minutes from the finish Chedgzoy got away on his won account and scored with a fast oblique shot. Nothing further was scored and Everton retired rather lucky victors by 2 goals to nil.

January 7, 1911. The Liverpool Football Echo
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 20)
At Goodison Park. Teams: - Everton: -Berry, goal Thomson, and Meunier, backs, Weller, Borthwick, and L.Davies, half-backs, Lacey, Gourlay, Freeman, Grenyer, and Turner forwards. Preston North End: - Taylor, goal, Brosthprat, and Baker, backs, Johnstone, Wilson, and McLean half-backs, Dickinson. Fazakerley, Spence, McLean, and Galbraith, forwards. The opening stages gave promising of an even struggle. L. McLean levelled a fine drive at Berry, which missed its mark by inches. Then Lacey and Gourlay got through, but the latter was robbed when about to shoot. Lacey was prominent with several accurate centres, which, however, were cleverly removed by the Preston defenders. A splendid solo effort by Lacey, who received the ball from Freeman, enabled him to score the initial point. There was more action, and method about the movements of the Blues than their opponents, with the result that the Everton forwards were upon enjoying more of the attack. This energy was bound to be productive of good results, and when Gourlay and Lacey raced cleverly through all opposition and the inside man registered the second point against Taylor, it was only the due reward of persistent endeavour. This shortly afterwards Turner chipped in with a beautifully accurate centre, which Freeman just failed to capture with his head, but Lacey had anticipated the movement and with a fast shot from close range scored Everton's third goal. There was more real pushfulness about the Everton right wing than has been witnessed at Goodison for some time, and the blending of Gourlay and Lacey was indeed a happy though Everton had to now thoroughly the “Proud Uns” when Lacey scored a fourth. Preston's chances had sunk to zero. Gourlay initiated the movement and crossed the ball to Grenyer who returned it, Lacey capturing the sphere almost on the goalline and scoring with a shot which struck the far upright and entered the net. Freeman was rarely in the picture. Everton were certainly the better side during the initial half, and deserved their formidable lead. Half-time Everton Reserves 4, Preston nil.

Freeman scored a fifth for Everton Reserves from a penalty. Freeman scored a sixth for Everton. Grenyer scored a seventh for Everton Reserves, Lacey a eight, and Grenyer a ninth and Grenyer scored a tenth. Final Result Everton 10 Preston 0.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 09 January 1911
In meeting the North End at Preston. Everton had a rather unrepresentative side, while Preston were witrhout McFadyen. During the early stages Preston North End had much the best of the game, and Scott made two brilliant saves. When once they had settled down, however, Everton played capital football, but nothing was scored. Six minutes after the interval -Everton took the lead in rather lucky fashion. McBride allowing a cross-shot from Wagner to bounce over his arm into the net. Everton had more chances than their rivals, and A. Young and Wagner missed fine openings. North End finished badly, Scott having little to do, and shortly before the finish Pinkley scored a clever goal for Everton.

Monday 9 January 1911 The Athletic News
Everton decided on experimenting with as new right wing in their reserve team engagement with Preston, placing Lacey on the extremity of the line alongside Gourlay.  The result was a disastrous clamity for the North End defence, for of the ten goals scored by Everton the pair aforementioned accounted for seven of the number.  Lacey gave a great display, and completelyt bewildered the Preston backs.  Everton’s goals scorers were Lacey (4), Gourlay (3), Freeman (2, one penalty), and Grenyer. 

Athletic News - Monday 09 January 1911
Preston North End 0, Everton 2
By Pavo
Preston North End rubbed the bloom off their performances at Manchester, Blackburn, and in Newcastle by losing at home to Everton, but their failure against the Goodison Park side was only in accordance with tradition, for they have never beaten them at Deepdale since they returned to the First Division in season 1904-5.  At the same time it was doubtless to some extent traceable to their exertions at last week end, for they were a leg-weary one from back to front.  But this did not represent all the superior of the visitors, for they were not only the speedier but had more methodical side.  As a matter of fact they victory was something of a triumph for the Everton directors had remodeled the team until it was almost a different side.  As a right wing they had Chedgzoy, the local recruit, who was playing in minor club football until quite recently, and Pinkney, hitherto an outside forward while Magner, who was picked up from Gainsborough Trinity last season, was given his first trial in the centre.  Beare was restored to outside left alongside “Sandy” Young, and at half-back Allan, was seen in the place of Harry Makepeace, who was nursing an injury.  One hardly looked for a finished display from such a speculative side, but while it would be flattery perhaps  to describe their football in such terms it is undeniable that they played smart, well-balanced football.  They had an excellent idea of where to find each other, and although the less experienced men owed a lot to the long-headedness of “Sandy” Young, whose artfulness was the most prominent feature of the game, and to the strong support of Robert Young, and Harris they did sufficiently well themselves to fully justify their presence in the side. 
Valuable Recruits
Magner is a well-built youth, who lies well up for the dash between the backs and knows how to get the ball out, while Pinkney was a really excellent inside man, hardworking and judicious in his palcing, I do not wish to see a better goal than that which he scored in the last minutes of the game.  Very early on Everton gave signs of the trouble which subsequently developed for the home side, and the diminutive English, who was again deputizing for McFayden, was baffled by the jugglery of A. Young and the flying feet of Beare.  Once the latter’s pace alone helped him to as perfect an opening as the heart of a footballer could desire, but with the defence helpless he sent the ball harmlessly over the bar.  The game, indeed, was largely a story of missed opportunities, for neither side could finish properly, with a treacherous ground and a slippery ball to deal with.  Once in each half, at least, David McLean booted the ball wildly past or over the top from fine scoring positions, and A. Young was infected by the bad example. 
Robert Young, The Strong Man
Everton were a trifle fortunate in the manner of their first goal.  Chedgzoy, hooking the ball off the touch-line, with the home side claiming for it being out of play, beat Rodway, and pushed it ahead to Magner who promply drove in a low, slanting shot.  McBride got to the line of flight all right, but in some mysterious fashion allowed the ball to bounce over his hands against the far post, whence it glanced through.  This happened six minutes after the interval.  But there was no suspicion of fortune about the second goal, which came four minutes from the end, for Pinkney beat two opponents en route to a position from which he scored with a splendid cross shot.  Everton owed a great deal to the cleverness of their left wing, to the zeal of their younger players, among whom Chedgzoy showed distinct promise, ands to the power of Robert Young, whose head seemed to act as a magnet for the ball.  The other half-backs were good, and behind them Stevenson made a capable partner for Balmer, while Scott kept a skillful goal.  The North End side were disappointing.  Beaten in speed, they had little system to make the defect good, and the only department of the team to do itself bare justice were the half-backs.  The defence was less dependable than usual, and the forwards were wanting in understanding and shooting power.  Preston North End; McBride; English, Rodway; Holdsworth, McCall, Wareing; Thompson, Bannister, Mclean, Danson, and Winterhalder.  Everton; Scott (Wm); Stevenson, Balmer; Harris, Young (R.), Allan; Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Magner, Young (A.), and Beare.  Referee; J. Mason, Burslem. 

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 09 January 1911
At Preston, in fine weather, before gate of 8,000. Play opened in favour of Everton. Young was wide with a good shot, McLean Shot high over from pass Thompson, and was also corner the homo team was easily cleaved. A corner to the visitors was placed behind. .McLean was given off-side when well placed. In the second half play favoured the visitors, who took the lead after minutes from a shot by which McBride let slip the net. Thompson put in a good shot which Scott did well to clear. It was given offside when well placed. A corner to the home team was headed over by Bannister. Play mostly favoured Preston, who could not, however, open their account. Close time. Chedgzoy put on second goal Result Everton 2 goals, Preston North End none.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 16 January 1911
At Crystal Palce, in foggy cold weather, the ground being slippery. Magner missed a pass from Beare in the first minutes, and Lawrence caused Scott to handle at the other end. Everton were more clever, but shotting by no means accurately. Young scored after seventeen minutes. Everton continued top have the best of the game, but Scott's goal underwent one unsuccessful siege. magner scored for Everton. half-time Everton 2 goals, Crystal Palce none. Play in the second half favoured the Palace for some minutes. Scott saving wonderfully from Aston. A couple of free kicks aided the Palce, Everton defending well. Good work by the visiting right ending in Gorlay scored a fine goal. Yong soon followed with another from a free kick, and Everton continued to press, the Palce forwards making a poor show. Collins retired hurt. Result; Everton 4 goals, Crystal Palce none.

Athletic News - Monday 16 January 1911
Crystal Palace 0, Everton 4
By the Traveller
Sydenham was better served as regards weather than any other ground in the Metropolis, and the match between Everton and Crystal Palace was run through without it being impossible to follow the course of the ball.  What the 15,000 spectators had to cavil about was the character of the display.  Everton played well enough to thoroughly earn their four goals to none uccess, yet the fare was as tame as it well could be.  For that the ground was to blame.  Frost bound, it offered but an insecure foothold, and made players chary of heavy falls and the consequences.  Only one player suffered much, Collins, the home centre half-back, having to desert the game twenty minutes from the end.  That he did so did not make much difference to the Palace.  They were then four goals to the bad, had been outplayed, and continued to be so.  At very few stages of the match had they framed like a side worthy to be placed on the par with Everton.  Tactical superiority it was that gave the Lancastrians such an overwhelming victory.  Straightaway it was realized that the adoption of the nicer artifices might prove suicidal because of the slippery turf, and Harris’s example of swinging the ball about at every conceivable opportunity was copied so well that the Palace defence was ever stretched, and ultimately caved in. 
Palace Held From The Start
Then, again, the home team was not allowed to set a hurricane pace at the start.  Everton were just as fast, and apparently realizing the futility of their endeavours the Palace fell away, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace were seldom at a great loss what to do with the opposing forwards.  Williams was considerably perturbed by Young, who was considerably perturbed by Young who was always moving, and what Harris failed to do against Woodhouse and Davies, Stevenson accomplished.  One man only was on a par with his antagonists –Garrett.  His early machinations were just too smart for Makepeace and Balmer.  This fact, however, did not impress his colleagues, for Lawrence would not –or could not –help him, and the others refused to realise that on his side was the unsafest portion of the Everton defence.  It was useless to work the left flank, because Stevenson was so great.  His pace more than counter-balanced that of Davies, his tackling and rushes were well timed and strong, and his kicking was of capital length, rarely beyond the reach of the forwards.  Harris made mistakes, but Stevenson was always ready to cover.  Most to be admired of the Everton forwards was Beare.  Not too much assistance was forthcoming from A. Young or Magner, neither of whom liked the going, but he contrived to hook the ball across and into from Hatton and Collyer.  As a matter of fact the play of the Palace backs appealed forcibly to no one. 
Manger Winning His Spurs
Magner’s second appearance in Everton’s first team was more than passable.  He opened the game whenever possible, always stood well up to Collver and Bulcock, and, above all, registered a splendid goal.  Indeed, it was the best of the four.  Gourlay worked hard, but always there seemed something lacking, and reputations were not made nor lost, mainly because many failings were excusable.  Johnson was well beaten on every occasion, and was not seriously troubled at other times, as there was little decent shooting.  The best save fell to the lot of Scott.  When Lawrence appeared certain to score with a header Scott dived to the right and scooped the ball off the line in brilliant style.  Of all Everton’s goals one may write highly.  A. Young’s, the first, was that of an opportunist.  In the midst of some scrambling play on the right he swung round and with the left foot put the ball in front of Johnson, past whom it went in off the angle of the bar.  That was at the end of a quarter of an hour.  Twenty minutes later Magner’s goal came.  Seizing upon a bare chance, he literally forced a way by Bulcock, and Hanger, lost and regained possession, resisted a trip, and scored from fifteen yard’s to lie afterwards prone from a slight injury. 
Everton’s Superiority
Everton’s superiority was quickly settled in the second half as goals were forthcoming after thirteen and seventeen minutes.  Beautifully plied by Young, Beare tricked and left Collyer and centred neatly to Gourlay, who pushed the ball past Johnson.  With a free kick just outside the penalty area Makepeace and R. Young jointed outwitted the defence, the latter scoring.  Crystal Palace; Johnson; Collyer, Bulcock; Hatton, Collins, Hanger; Garrett, Lawrence, Williams,. Woodhouse, and Davies.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Balmer; Harris, Young (R.), Makeapeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Magner, Young, and Beare.  Referee; T. Garner, Barnsley. 

January 16, 1911. The Liverpool Football Club.
Fa Cup Round One.
Once more Everton visited Sydenham's historic slopes in the first round of the Football Association trophy. It was a big task they had to face for the Palace are now one of the strongest elevens in the South. Still' we were not without hopes of the Blues coming out of the ordeal if only with honours easy. The team was strong for Makpeace and A. Berry returned to their respective positions, while Gourlay was preferred to Pinkney at inside right. Everton travelled from Blackpool yesterday. They stayed at the Endersleigh Hotel, and by a strange coincidence Barnsley (who are playing Watford, and who it will be remembered beat Everton in the semi-final last year) stayed at the same Hotel. Everton travlled to the Palace by Motor. There was a fog in London, but it was clear at the Palace. On arrival at the Palace the beautiful grounds at Sydenhant were found enveloped in fog, and at two o'clcok it was not at all certain that the game even if began, would be concluded. The atmosphere conditions had of course a most adverse effect on the attendance, and there were less than 5,000 spectators present when the players appeared. The ground was hard and lumpy, and the Evertonians turned out in short-studded boots, as by the way was not at full strength Hughes being absent from the centre half division and Hewitt away from his customary place as inside right. The outlook was distinctly misty when the opposing forces lined out in the following order: - Everton: - William Scott, goal, Stevenson, and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Gourlay, Magner, A. Young, and Beare, forwards. Crystal Palace: - Johnston, goal, Collyer, and Bullock, backs, Hatton, Collins, and Manger, half-backs Garrett, Lawrence, Williams, Woodhouses, and Davies forwards. Referee T.Garner. (Barnsley). The Palace players were the first to come out, and they were received with a hearty cheer. Everton followed a moment later, and were also cordially greeted. (The prelimiinaries were soon settled). Makepeace losing the toss, but as there was an entire absence of wind this counted for little. Everton were the first to make progress, the left wing making very pretty play, and Beare summed up with a neat centre, but Magner failed to get to it, and Bullock cleared. The visitors returned to the attack almost immediately, and Sandy Young was grassed in the penalty area by Collins, but the referee again ignored the incident, and play for a time veered round in favour of the Palace players. Their passing, however, was very scrappy. and Williams was given a nice opening,, but he shot yards wide of the mark. Midfield work followed in which neither side gained any advantage, but Everton at length got going, and Magner shot outside. The Palace forwards in turn took up the running, and Garrbutt twice put in long shots, which were easily dealt with by Scott. The home side however, became more persistent, and Davies tested the Everton custodian with a warm one. Then the Evertonians began to assert themselves, and their short passing was very pretty to watch. Sandy Young sent the ball right across to Berry, and the amateur centred accurately, but Magner slipped the frosty turf, and a grand opportunity was lost, Everton, nevertheless played up strongly, and it was not long before they were swarming in front of Johnson, Magner tried shots which failed, and then Berry put the leather over the line. The pressure became greater, and Robert Young put in a long drive that passed over the bar. Another forward movement ended in Gourlay making a nice opening, and subsequently the home forwards made progress on the left when Stevenson relieved a dangerous situation with admirable judgement. Play, although fast enough was still rather scrappy, and an interlude of long kicking proved of profit to neither side. Everton, however, were undesirably the cleverer side, and both Gourlay and Magner were prominent but unsuccessful in their attempts to gain a lead. After ten minutes play however, the Evertonians met with their due reward. In a throw-in by Harris, Young fastened on the ball, and, trickling both backs he scored a fast rising shot which entered the far corner of the net. Having drawn first blood the visitors proceeded to keep the Palace men strictly on the defensive, and when at length the homester did get away on the left they were smartly repulsed by the vigilant Stevenson. They came again in a few minutes and Williams and Woodhouse were obviously dangerous, when Stevenson once again rushed in and cleared. Beare and Gourlay were concerned in a promising movements that was blocked by Collyer, and then, after Harris had a pop from long range Gourlay sent the leather spinning outside the post. The Palace forwards got going once more, but in their anxiety to get on level terms they shot very wildly, and both Woodhouse and Lawrence missed good chances. It was quite evident that the state of the ground was impeding the play of both teams. The Evertonians adapted themselves fairly well to the slippery conditions. The pressed persistently for a long time and Harris shot wide after the whistle had gone. Then Garratt raced down in fine fashion, and finished with a smart square pass, but Balmer cleared before Johns could turn the opening to advantage. More midfield work followed. The home left gave some trouble, but Woodhouse, shot very feeble. The Evertonians were not long before they got going again, and a second success rewarded their efforts. Magner, getting the ball from Harris wriggled his way right though, and just as he was tripped he put in a fast rising shot, which centred the net an inch below the crossbar. It was an exceptionally good goal, and his colleagues warmly congratulated the new Everton centre-forward. This second goal was not more than the visitors deserved, for their play up to this period had been for the more stylish and effective than that of the London team. Towards the interval however, Crystal Palace came away with a tremendous rush, and a wonderfully good centre from Garrett was missed by Williams. Then the home forwards made dangerous play on the left, and Scott saved in marvellous style from Woodhouse. An exciting bully in front of the Everton goal led to Makepeace being hurt, and after his recovery Scott brought off another brilliant piece of goal kicking. The Palace players were now showing much improved form, and from a free kick close in Collins shot straight at Scott, who cleared. Still they rendered to the attack, and just on half-time Williams shot high over the bar. Half-time Crystal Palace nil, Everton 2.

The interval was a short one owing to the continued fear of fog preventing a finish and the light was very bad when play was resumed. The first half had not been by any means a good exhibition of football but it had been sufficient to prove that Everton were much the superior side. The bulk of their attack had come from the left wing, Berry and Gourlay having been rather out of the picture.

During the first half the crowd had swelled considerably, and there were fully 15,000 people present when the second half was entered upon. The home side went of with great dash and in the first few minutes Scott kicked away a very fine ground shot from Garratt. The homesters came away again on the right, and the ball was swung dangerously across the goalmouth, but Stevenson cleared. Everton were then prominent on the right, Berry travelling over the frosty ground at top speed, but he ended by shooting yards wide of the mark. There was more long kicking on both sides and Stevenson with a hugh punt put the ball well in the goalmouth, but Collyer prevented Magner netting it. A minute or two later Beare broke away on his own account and passed right across to Gourlay, who put in a curling shot that swerved outside. Crystal Palace exerted every effort to reduced the lead, but their shooting was very weak, and the Everton backs always managed to extricate themselves with credit. Good half back play put Beare in possession and the outside left racing through passed the leather neatly to Gourlay, who scored with a low shot at short range, which gave the home custodian no chance. A little later Beare beat both Hutton and Collyer, but Johnson saved the final shot. The visitors now seemed to have a new least of life, and they literally bombarded the Palace goal. From a free kick close in, they added a fourth goal. Makepeace made a presence of kicking the ball, but he left it to Robert Young, who drove it with terrific force into the net. The later stages of the contest were all in favour of the visitors, who had got the full measure of their opponents. Berry on one occasion centred with delightful accuracy, but Gourlay missed the pass and at the other end Balmer checked an ugly rush on the part of the home right. Collins coming into collision with an opponent, hurt his knee, and twenty minutes from the finish he left the field. In spite of this the home side suddenly showed renewed vigour and Collyer from long range, tested Scott three times. Gourlay, Magner, and Beare were concerned in a dangerous combined movement, but the last-named shot over the bar. Three minutes later Gourlay broke away and gave Johnson a terrific shot to deal with, but the home keeper fisted clear. In the closing stages Everton regained their superiority. In the last ten minutes in the visitors simply toyed with the opponents, and won handsomely by four goals to nil.

January 14 1911. The Liverpool Football Echo
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 21)
At Goodison Park. Teams: - Everton Reserves: - Walter Scott goal, Thompson and Macconnachie, backs, Weller Borthwick, and W. Davies, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Gault, Grenyer, and Mountford, forwards. Southport Central: - W. Wright, goal, Ross, and Hodge, backs, Schofield, J.H. Wright, and Lightfoot, half-backs, Willis, Whiteside, Hodson, Bradley, and Winterburn forwards . Everton had the best of the opening exchanges, but the visitors responded with a spirited reply. Bradley tried to lower the Everton colours, but was not successful. During the next few minutes the Southport goal underwent a severe bombardment, and it was certainly due to the brilliance of Wright, the Central custodian that a shot from Gault failed to take effect. At this stage all sort of shots were rained upon Wright, but he proved to be right by nature as well as by name. Some smart centres from Chedgzoy caused no small amount of trouble to the visitors. With both sides displaying good tactics the game proved interesting, while there was more sting in the Everton attack on Central forwards were always triers. Macconnachie was a hard nut to crack, and Thompson's well-timed rushes often proved successful. A free kick taken by Borthwick brought about the initial point for the Blues. The ball was sent over to the right wing and Chedgzoy transferred it to the centre, Gault taking accurate aim, Wright slipping in trying to save. Nearing the interval Southport almost did the trick, a splendid centre by Winterburn being well met by Bradley, but Scott brought off a really clever safe. Half-time Everton Reserves 1, Southport Central nil. Gault scored a second for Everton. Final Result Everton 3, Southport Central nil.

January 21, 1911. The Liverpool Football Echo.
Everton had Lacey and Gourlay (suspended) as compared to the successful Cup-tie side, and the Notts County made one change. With the Blues coming to their best form last season's victory of two clear goals was expected to be repeated. Teams : - Everton: - William Scott goal, Stevenson, and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Lacey, Magner, A. Young, and Beare, forwards. Notts County: - Iremonger, goal, Morley, and Montgomery, backs, Emberton Clamp, and Craythorne, half-backs Dean, Flint, Cantrell, Richards, and Waterall, forwards. Referee Mr. H. P. Lewis. There was not a very “full house” when Magner got to work. The fog demou was dodging ground, and seemed bent on business before the finish of the game. Magner opened out to Sandy Young, but the ball was at once forced out. The Blues pressed on, but were soon pulled up by the whistle of Mr. H. P. Lewis. Away went the County merrily until Balmer thwarted the, Bob Young, but in a couple of headers, after which Balmer ballooned badly and led to trouble, which ended in Scott coming out to deal with a dangerous cross from Waterall. Soon after Beare was prominent, and Harris, taking his centre forced a corner, which was prettily taken by Berry, and only ended when Makepeace had shaken up Iremonger with a great shot. Magner was several times prominent in distributing sagaciously to his wing. Once Berry was off side after receiving, but Beare had better luck. Iremonger after a rasping shot, turning the ball round the post. Young, Lacey, and Magner were conspicuous in the next visit, but the burly Montgomery put paid to their account. Waterall took possession and again proved itself a dangerous customer, for from his cross Flint headed in smartly in Scott. The Lacemakers were proving decidedly aggressive in the way of long potting, but did not follow up their advantage very keenly. Young and Magner fought stubbornly in the penalty, but were outwitted, and the same fate befel Berry and Lacey when they attempted to improve the position. A minute afterwards Berry, outmanceurved himself in a bout of elaborate finessing. Success was jot long in coming, as the result of a somewhat instricate but beautifully extended plan of attack. Beare led the Everton van, ultimately crossing cleverly to Berry, who was comfortably placed. Magner dashed in to receive the amateur's centre, but was robbed in the nick of time by Morley. The ball was not cleared, and the Blues at once hemmed in the Notts defence on all sides. Young threatened Iremonger, who fisted the ball to Lacey, who at once landed it into the net with tremendous power. By this time the Blues had established all-round superiority, and frequently raided the Notts camp. After several attempts of this kind Berry worked round Montgomery, and Beare receiving the pass in the goalmouth, easily headed past Iremonger. Subsequent to this the Blues were all over their opponents who were more or less on the atreton until Magner pressed out to Lacey, who in returning too smartly to the centre forward, put him offside, and although Magner netted cleverly, he had the mortification of having the goal disallowed. Iremonger had numerous narrow escapes after this, for Morley and Montgomery had a very rough time of it, with the Blues buzzing all around then. It was only a question of time, however, when the clever tactics of the Blues must succeed, for they were continually within shooting distance. At last Sandy Young saw an opening, and promptly snatching the chance, he gave the ball to Lacey, who again scored in his usual robust style. For some minutes after restarting there was only one team in it, and that wasn't Notts be somewhat luckily for them Magner, Young and Lacey had some hot shots charged down at close quarters. Still, “Sandy” and Magner succeeded in rousing the custodian up with sparking shots. The County did get away occasionally, and Cantrell was once again, even through when Bob Young took the ball from his toes. The other raids however, were half-hearted and easily held up by Stevenson, and Balmer. Beare was applauded for beating Montgomery and Morley in turn and finishing up a pretty effort by placing the ball only went the wrong side of the net. There seemed very little chances as the interval approached of the County making up the leeway, for their forward work was not nearly subtle enough to seriously trouble the players like defence of the Blues. Moreover, the Everton front rank was in a merry mood, and all the forward being as lively as grasshoppers gave the defence plenty of breathing time. One of the loveiest Everton visits deserves success. Magner led the way for Beare from whom Iremonger fixed out. Berry fastened on the leather and sent a few splinters off the crossbar. The attack developed, and the exchanges were very hot until a minute from the interval when Bob Young suddenly obliged with one of his patent broadsides, and a moment after, the Blues were 4 up, for Iremonger handed the balldown into the net. Half-time Evertom 4, Notts County nil.

Everton's slashing form in the first half was certainly to the liking of the 12,000 spectators. County started off again, as if anxious to reduce the arrears, a little bit, and an artful middle by Flint got the home defence temporarily in Qucer-street. Someone was kicked in goal, and a corner resulted. When the players had dispersed a bit Harris was seen limping badly, for the doughty half back had been previously damaged in the first half. The Midlanders came a second time. Taking advantage of Harris lameness, the left having broke through, but with a real good opening before him, Richards shot wide. Everton seemed somewhat satisfied with their laurels, and their attack was not so sustained, the visitors having more of the same team in the first half. At last Beare, Young, Magner, and Lacey executed an advance prettily, for the latter lost the ball to poor judgement. Once Dean dashed ahead taking Balmer by surprise, but when he piloted the ball to the other wing Waterall shot into the clouds. The County shooting had only been moderate, all through the piece and several real goal chances had fuzzed out on this account. Still the visitors swung the ball about in clever style. Keeping the home halves on the hop. Stevenson was cheered for a powerful return. The Blues were by no means as deadly as in the early moiety, and their raids were not nearly as vimulish and consistent in their finishes. Four goals is surely a comfortable margin. At the end of fifteen minutes the fog thickened alarmingly, and may have affected the view of the Notts forwards, who could put the ball anywhere but into the goalmouth. Dean and Flint proving very faulty marksmen. The Midlanders had plenty of stamina left to initiate favouable positions, but the splendid alertness of the Everton defence continually put the forward rank out of joint. Everton played with easy going confidence, mixed with dangerous dashes, Waterall was usually promising in the Notts ventures, but his usual centres did not tempt Cantrell to “deeds of derring do” in that half at any rate. The home defenders could not complain of being left in idea ‘dalliance, but they always responded gamely to their task. Suddenly the Blues made a big effort, and Beare, from near the touch line was dropped the ball on the crossbar to the undoing to Iremonger, who fumbled it for Lacey to score. Shortly after Magner nearly scored another as the ball went striaght and true, hit the upright, and rebounded to the player, who on the second occasion shot wide. It was to see that the Blues were always top dog when they cared to show their teeth. In the last minute Scott saved a penalty kick taken by Dean. (After Flint was grassed). Final result Everton 5, Notts County nil.

January 21 1911. The Liverpool Football Echo.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 22)
At Rochdale, Everton played a strong team, and much depended upon the issue as Rochdale are struggling hard to depose Everton from the lead of the table. Freeman was played at centre forward and Macconnachie left back. Rochdale were without Fenderson, who has been suspended for a month and Manning a clever outside right, who has injured was unable to play, Curttis a Rotherham amateur was given a trial. A little fog hung over the ground, but it was not sufficient to interfere with the game. Nearly 10000 spectators were present when the teams turned out. Rochdale were the first to attack, and a clever movement by Freeman placed the home goal in jeopardy. Half-time Rochdale nil, Everton nil. Not more details. Everton: - Walter Scott goal, Thomson, and Macconnachie, backs Allan, Borthwick, and Weller half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Freeman, Grenyer, and Mountford (Captain), forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 23 January 1911
Everton 5 Notts County 0
[By Junius.]
JUDGING from their performances in their last two matches, the Everton players have benefited considerably by their stay at Blackpool. Their decisive victory in the Cup-tie at Sydenham was followed by even greater triumph in the return League engagement with Notts County at Goodison Park, for they prevailed by five clear goals. Their superiority was patent throughout, though the margin of goals in their favour might easily have been lessened had the Notts forwards shown any ability when within shooting range. Their attempts to score were puerile in the extreme. The speed and cunning footwork of the Everton extreme wing forwards were prominent features of the attack, for these players were the initiators of every raid that produced a goal.
Wily wingers.
These wily wingers were well attended to by their respective partners, and Lacey well justified his inclusion at inside right. He scored three goals, but even apart from thts excellent work his play in midfield was marked by cleverness which he has seldom equalled. It was from Berry’s centre that started the scoring; Iremonger fisted the ball away, but with high dropping shot Lacey completely baffled the keeper. After ineffective attempts by the Notts forwards, Berry again raced away, and Beare, who seemed to be in off-side position, headed into the net. Then Lacey dashed through, and placed to Magner, who registered what appeared capital goal, but this was not allowed. More thrilling exchanges on the right wing, which Harris and Berry were concerned, ended in Lacey scoring with a great shot, and in the next minute Berry gave Sandy Young a open goal, but the inside left was quite foot above the actual object. Young thereon took counsel with himself and meditatively patted his head. Just before half-time R, Young sent in one his special shots, and though Iremonger parried it with outstretched arm the referee pointed to the centre. Notts seemed dissatisfied with this ruling they walked off the field at breathing time, and argued the matter with the official. Notts started the second half in praiseworthy fashion, and Waterall missed two simple chances in quick succession. But he was not alone in his frailty, for the whole forward line tainted with the same fault, their inaccurate and wild efforts being astonishing. Beare took on the mantle of Berry at this stage, and from his centre Irenionger could only Thrust the ball upwards for Lacey to head past him. Magner experienced hard luck with fine shot which struck the post, and the Notts forwards might well have copied their rivals tactics with advantage. In the last minute Flint was threading his way through when was fouled in the penalty area, but Dean concluded the afternoon’s failures by sending the ball straight at Scott, who was winded. This proved the last kick of match, and the Everton custodian, after receiving slight attention, walked off with his comrades.
Wing play the Everton side was particularly good, both Berry and Beare repeatedly leaving their more ponderous opponents well in the rear. Their spark ling runs and judicious centres were alike excellent. Lacey showed capital combination with the amateur, and near goal was the most thrusting of the line of attackers. Young provided Beare with rare openings, but was himself rather whimsically inclined when shooting. Magner was useful in the centre, and never hesitated to take the chances provided for him. The half-backs capably supported the men in front, and there was little to choose between the trio in point of effectiveness. The full-backs were not extended, and this may have had some influence their play, for they did not kick cleanly usual. They however, kept out the opposition .o successfully that Scott was only called upon at rare intervals.
 I have already drawn attention to the outstanding weakness in the Notts attack, and this inability to send in decent shot spoiled much creditable footwork. Water all put in some clever play on the left wing, and the whole line at times moved along in promising style; but the result was ever the same—much was ably attempted and nothing successfully done. Clamp was the pick the half-backs, for both Emberton and Craythorne were unable to keep the Everton wings iu check. Nor were the full-backs much more capable, and though they kicked powerfully enough occasions they were often  their speedy opponents. Irernonger had not pleasing duty to perform, and though five goals were debited against him saved many stinging shots very smartly. Everton.—Scott (W.); Stevenson, BaJmer (R); Harris. Young (R.). Makepeace: A. Berry, Lacey, Manner. Youngr (A.), and Beare. County. -Irenionger; Slorley. Mont- Komery; Emberton, Clamp, Craythorpe; Dean Flint. Cantrell, Richards, and Watorall. Referee: H. P- Lewis, Rotherham.

January 23 1911. The Liverpool Echo.
While despite the criticisms rightly levelled at them, Everton have been making progress steadily and some of us no doubt will be surprised to find that they have a real live chance for the League. This prospect is made all the more realistic on the form displayed against Notts County foe we witnessed dashing sparkling forward work, the like of which has seldom this season gladdened the hearts of Goodison folk. In the past, it is true, the Blues have failed in the fight for League premiership when most expected to triumph, and it would be like their inconsistency of the first half of the season to gain the championship when least expected. What do we want with Simpson, the high-priced man? I heard more than one enthusiast say, after the display of the right wing against the big Nottingham defnders. Well, I an able to state finally Everton have finished with the aution, and the latest facts, regarding the transfer will be found in another place. The fees offered have been most ridiculous, and though Everton could probably have outbidden any other club, had they wished, they promptly showed their disapproval of the absurdly high-priced offers by withdrawing.

Notts were in the mist in more than one sense. They were beaten by a team that worked as one and a forward line especially that shot, as it has never done before this season. Accuracy in front of goal was the secret of Everton's pronounced victory which on the other hand the total ineptitude of Notts in this department prevented them from reducing the heavy margin in the second half. They enjoyed a great share of the game in the latter portion and indeed during the whole of the game vied with Everton in the open. But Everton were decisive in approaching the goal and deadly when they got there. Very soon the forwards with one exception obtained the measure of Morley's offside tactics. Any brainy forward line can beat these methods. From the very outset the Notts goal was raided in a manner suggesting success, and it was only the defenders' desperate dashes across to either rights that prevented both inside forwards scoring. Beare had too much pace for the lengthy Notts back, but once the latter beat his man with a clever back heel when the ball was at Beare's toes. Berry scintillated at the expense of burly Montgomery. Cutting his way into goal, the amateur might have easily opened the score had not Montgomery held him, while the winger had always the hardest of luck in running the ball over the line. It was a masterly touch by which Montgomery was beaten, a spinning ball being placed behind the back with a wonderfully drafty zap. Berry went round his opponent's right, and was unlucky not to get in his centre. Lacey to a great extent, enabled Berry to shine, and incidentally shine himself. His three goals were in themselves sufficient justification of his inclusion yet, they were not the best features of his football. Rather was it his assiduous attention to Berry, hard foraging and keen tackling. In the latter respect the Irishman came from among the half backs many times and drew the opposition for Berry top make headway. It is significant that three of the goals were the direct result of the excellent understanding of the right wing. It was Lacey who set Berry going, and racing into position was at hand to receive the centres Iremonger pushed out over the head of Morley, and shoot into the corner of the net. Altogether Everton got the ball into the net six times. The second goal, which Beare obtained, standing near the post to receive Berry's truly great centre, was absolutely offside. Now it was allowed, but when Magner turned the ball into the net from a screw centre by Lacey he was well worthy of the goals. However, the referee refusing the point balanced matters. Nevertheless, Everton would not be pressed back Stevenson, and Balmer kicking an admirable length, and Balmer Young reducing the Notts centre to a very frail appearance of attack. So Emberton was compelled to stave of impeding disaster by kicking over his own goal. First Harris and then Sandy Young looked liking from the resultant corner, but it was Lacey who finally found the net with a beautiful ground drive. Robert Young's goal was of the usual stunning –for goalkeeping –quality. The centre half back strode into an opening with his usual audacity, and in the last stride supply made the ball turn to Iremonger, who would have had us believe that he stopped the shot has it passed over the goal line. There was never any doubt about it however. A great pass off Sandy Young's and a perfect shot of Beare's which Iremonger fumbled, made Lacey's goal an easy matter. The finish was thrilling for it seemed when Flint was brought down in the area that Notts would certainly have some reward, but Scott saved grandily though winded in the effort. It is invidious to make comparisons, where all worked so ably. The offside tactics of the Notts backs upset Magner. Sandy Young is unquestionably in his best position at inside left and that was distinctly pleasing. Makepeace was not at his best, but Robert Young did well, especially when Harris was crocked.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Thursday 26 January 1911
Manchester United will be engaged in an important League match at Old Trafford Saturday, when they will meet Everton. who at present second the list. When the United were at Goodison Park, they won by a goal nil, that the “Blues” will be anxious avenge themselves. Meredith will absentee from the home side, for he will be an absentee from the home side, for he will be adding to his record number of caps, by assisting Sheldon will officiate, and it is safe to say that the play of the winger will astonish those who have not had a previous opportunity of seeing him. The United will be represented by; Mogers; Donnelly, Starcey; Duckworth, Roberts, Bell; Sheldon, Halse, West, Turnbull, and Wall.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 30 January 1911
At Old Trafford, before 25,000 spectators. Magner set the ball in motion, and five minutes from the start Beare scored for the visitors. Roused by the early reverse the home side made desperate efforts to equalise, Scott being very lucky to save from West. The game ruled fast, but the home side failed to reduce the lead. Half-time;- Everton 2 goals, Manchester United none. Immediately on resuming the home side simply bombarded the visitors' goal, Duckworth finally putting the ball past West. After this Young broke through, but Moger saved. The home side gained a corner which, being well palced led so Scott being beaten a second time. Well scoring. The scores being equal, the game became faster than ever but no further scoring took place. Result; Everton 2 goals, Manchester United 2 goals.

January 28, 1911. The Liverpool Echo.
The Evertonians reached Manchester shortly after half past one, and after a light lunch, drove direct to the Old Trafford ground. The weather was spring like, and these conditions coupled with the expectation of a hard game, attracted a great crowd to the enclosure of the United club. The playing surfaces was somewhat on the soft side, was otherwise a perfect conditions when the men lined up in the following order: - Manchester United: - Moner goal, Holden, and Stacey, backs, Duckworth, Roberts (Captain), and Bell, half-backs, Shepherd, Halse, West, Turnbull, and Wall, forwards. Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnchie, backs, Allan, R. Young, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, A. Berry, Gourlay, Magner, A. Young, and Beare, forwards. Referee S. Sykes. There were fully 20,000 persons present when Roberts and Makepeace tossed for choice of ends. The home skipper won and Everton were set to face the sun, though there was a very slight breeze in their favour. After the preliminary skirmishes, the home forwards worked down cleverly, and after Stevenson had checked an advance by Wall and Turnbull. Bell put in a fast shot, which Walter Scott saved with great coolness. The visitors were then busy on the left. Beare putting in a very pretty run, but he was dispossessed by Duckworth, and the United again swooped down the Everton territory. The three inside forwards were concerned in a very clever movement and Scott had to leave his goalline in order to divert a shot from Turnbull. Then the home right wing pair caused anxiety until Makepeace with a superb pace of work sent them to the right them Arthur Berry next raced along the wing and centred with great judgement; Magner touched the ball with his head, and Beare nipping in Scored with a shot that gave Monger any chance. This success, which came after less then ten minutes play, spurred the Evertonians on to further efforts, and for a time they literally pinned the United in their own half. Sandy Young worked his way through and gave the ball to Magner, who had an open goal in front of him when he shot wide. This was a bad miss, but the Everton centre tried to make amends a moment later by putting in a fast rising shot, which the home custodian saved very smartly. The home forwards then took up the running to some purpose, and Everton were fairly throwing upon their defence. Duckworth tested the Everton keeper with a long shot, and subsequently Halse, nearly secured from the corner flag. So far the pace had been fast, but eventually United redoubled their efforts to wipe out the margin against them. Their breakaway, desperately on at least three occasions, and after Macconnachie had been beaten, Scott saved a hot shot from West in masterly fashion. Everton got going once more and Beare showed remarkable brilliance, and outwitted both Duckworth and Donnelly, but he was unable to finish. End to end play was the order, but no advantage to neither side, but the home forwards were most persistent and after Halse had run through, and shot wide, Wall put the leather high over the bar from the corner flag. At the period the Manchester men were having much the best of the argument, and it was only the desperation of Stevenson and Macconacchie that averted disaster. A breakaway by Berry led to nothing, and at the other end Wall was hopelessly at sea when he should have shot well. Midfield play led to Everton making another advance on the right, but this time Gourlay sent wide. The home side, however, were as unfortunate in their methods of finishing. The whole forward line moved along in good order and West practically waltzed the ball to within a foot of Scott, only to place it tamely outside. Everton were strongly in evidence on the left, and the referee gave two rather unjust judgements upon the offside side rule, when first Beare, and then Gourlay, were pulled up when about to shoot. The Evertonians, however, were quite as determined as their opponents, and ere long a second goal came their way. It was scored in the following manner, Beare raced along and passed the ball next to Makepeace, who in turn, gave to Gourlay. The latter let the ball go through the leg, and Berry getting possession and shot and struck the upright, Moger tried to get the ball put he misjudged the spin of it, and it spin into the net. The United made desperate efforts to retrieve the a reverse, and a long shot from Dane proved rather troublesome, but it was well dealt with. Manchester, however, came away again very strongly and West, Halse, and Turnbull, all put in shots what were surely dealt with. At the other end, Beare experienced hard lines in not scoring with a long raking shot, and then Magner was sailing through when he was badly grassed, in the penalty area, but the referee apparently did not observe the obvious foul in the closing stages of the first half. United redouble their efforts, but the Everton halves and backs showed fine confidence, and the heavy home forwards kept at bay until half time was called, when the score stood Everton 2, United nil. The first forty-five minutes had proved an exhilarating exhibition of the game. Both sides had shown cleverness and despite the bustling tactics of the home forwards the footwork of the Evertonians was much cleverer. Beare, Young, and Berry, were all conspicuous. The centre by the amateur, which led to the second goal, was especially clever, and altogether were full value for their comfortable lead of two goals. There were thirty thousand present when play was resumed when play was resumed. The home forwards went off at a rare pace, but first Stevenson and them Macconnachie pulled them up. A free kick by Duckworth looked awkward, and Scott was distinctly smart in getting the ball away. Everton made play on the right, but Berry was finally knock off the ball, and the leather being swung across to Roberts. United attacked on the right, but without success. Manchester persevered with dogged and termination and another free kick taken by Duckworth was fisted clear by Scott. A corner followed, and from this there was a tremendous bully in front of Everton's goal, which terminated in Shepherd shooting just outside the upright. Play was at times running well in favour of the home side, and excitement grew to fever heat when Halse headed the ball against the upright. Berry brought about a change of venue by racing gracefully along the wing, but Stacey at the last moment cleared cleverly. United them went at a hammer and tongs, and the Everton goal was bombardment in tremendous fashion, Robert Young pulled up Turnbull down on the penalty line, and there was a loud claim for a penalty kick, but the referee, after consulting with the linesmen, declined to allow it. Then followed a further series of attacks, and after the ball had been kept bobbling about in front of Scott, Duckworth scored with a fast drive. United in the last twenty minutes played remarkably fine football, and Wall scored their second goal, with a shot that Scott handled but could not stop. Full Time Manchester United 2, Everton 2.

January 28 1911. The Liverpool Echo.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 23)
At Goodison Park. :- Everton: - H.C. Berry, goal, Thomson, and Meunier, backs, W. Davies, Borthwick, and Weller, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Freeman, Grenyer, and Turner forwards . Everton opened strongly, in determined fashion, and Thompson and Meunier were a pair of resolute defenders. The teams were certainly well matched. At the other end Nuttall headed high over the bar. There was some smart work between Grenyer, Freeman, and Pinkney, which ended in Grenyer heading a bouncing ball into the Manchester goal, Anderton caught the sphere, and at the same time Pinkney made a dive for it. The ball dropped on the ground and Anderton cleared rather luckily. Both teams put in good work throughout, Everton were more on the attack, than their opponents. The defence on both sides was good and this to a great extent accounted for the goaless score, rather than the forward play. Freeman nearly got through a rush of players, but the play was against him. Then Chedgzoy and Pinkney worked hard for an opening, the movement ending in the latter sending just wide. There was no score at the interval, and this could be a rather fair indication of the general run of the play. Neither goalkeeper had been busy, so well were they shielded from the attacking forces. Half-time Everton nil, Manchester United nil, Full time Everton nil, Manchester United nil.

Athletic News - Monday 30 January 1911
Manchester United 2, Everton 2
By Jacques
Although Everton did not wind at Old Trafford they were the best team in the first half, and led at the interval by two goals.  One of these was a sort of present from Moger, but at the same time Everton were cooler, more skillful, and quite good enough in every way for the advantage they held.  In the second half however, the Manchester United team played in wonderful style, and after a struggle that will be long remembered by the thirty thousand spectators –a low estimate –who saw the match, they succeeded in equalizing.   In bygone seasons I have seen clever exhibitions of forward play by “Sandy” Young.  In this match he played at inside left, and, while beating man after man himself, found time to make opening after opening for Beare and Magner.  Young’s skill in dribbling was remarkable, and seldom have two such fast men as Duckworth and Roberts been so well beaten in a match.  Right through the game Young was the bright particular star. 
Moger’s Mistake
Inside the opening ten minutes a ball from the Everton right wing fell at the feet of Beare, who was left unmarked and shot straight into the corner of the net.  All through this half Beare was a dangerous forward, and he was helped by the fact that Duckworth and Donnelly seemed to leave him far too much room and to concern themselves chiefly with the inside men.  The second goal came at the end of half an hour.  This was due to a centre by I think, Berry and a mistake by Moger.  The ball was dropped in front of the bar and Moger, with his back to the field, tried to save, but only helped the ball into the net.  In the second half the Manchester men opened at a great pace, and after a series of attacks Duckworth drove the ball fast and high into the corner of the net.  Thirteen minutes had fled when  this happened, and try as they would the Everton forwards could not make headway at this stage. On the contrary the United continued to press hard, and with a quarter of an hour left for play Wall at the second attempt, drove the ball into the net and equalized.  Everton made a splendid rally, and “Sandy” Young hit the post with a fierce low drive, and then dropped the ball on to the top of the cross-bar.  Then a falling ball fell at the feet of Wall, and Scott must have been very glad to see a lightning drive miss his goal post by a few inches. 
A Tribute To Ability
There was life in the football all the time, Everton played splendidly in the first half; Manchester United played far batter in the second half.  The three best players on the field were Everton men –Scott, Macconachie, and “Sandy” Young.  Each played his part brilliantly, and I was glad to hear them so often applauded.  There may be better goalkeepers, but I wish to see no better than Walter Scott on this form.  Would that I could say the same about Moger.  He was weak, and he give away a goal.  Everton held the advantage at back, and in the first half they had the advantage at half-back, but after the interval, Duckworth, Roberts and Bell played brilliantly.  In the last 45 minutes Bell was the best half-back on the field.  Forward, I was much impressed with the display of the Everton centre forward.  Magner lay well up the field, was fearless, and far from slow.  Finely fed by “Sandy” Young, he often had Donnelly and Stacey beaten.  Makepeace gave a clever and fast display, and Robert Young was robust and effective, while Allan gave a good display.  I could not understand why Beare was given so much room by Duckworth and Donnelly.  In the first half he seemed to do just as he liked, but after the interval he, like Berry on the other wing, was little seen.  Berry was good before the interval, but afterwards Stacey beat him nearly every time, and once, by the way, the amateur tripped the back badly.  On the Manchester side Moger was weak, Stacey the best of the backs, Bell the pick of a good half-back line, and Halse and West the most effective men of a forward line that did little in the first half but a great deal afterwards.  Manchester United- Moger; Donnelly, Stacey; Duckworth, Roberts, Bell; Sheldon, Halse, West, Turnbull, and Wall.  Everton; Scott (Walter); Stevenson, Macconnachie; Allan, Young (R.), Makepeace; A. Berry, Gourlay, Magner, Young (a.), and Beare.  Referee; J. Sykes, Stockport. 






January 1911