Everton Independent Research Data


January 1, 1912. The Liverpool Echo
At Goodison Park. Teams: - Everton: - Berry (Captain), goal, Balmer and Meaunier, backs Allan, Weller and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Gourlay, Burton, and Lacey, forwards. Linclon City: - T. Fern goal, Jackson, and Wilson, backs, Robson, Gardner, and Wield, half-backs, Manning, McCubbin, Batrell, Hatty, and Brindley, forwards.

Both sides displayed great keenness during the initial stages, and on the play there was really little to choose between them. Meunier made two slips, which luckily for the Blues were covered before any damage could be done. The first real shot came from McCubbin. Berry cutting the ball nicely over the bar. Brilliant single-handed efforts from Gourlay almost did the trick, the ball just touching the crossbar, and it flew over at a terrific speed. Gourlay availed himself of every opportunity to get in a shot at the Lincoln goal, and generally speaking his attempts was strong and true. Berry was also called upon to deal with several fine attempts from the Lincoln forwards. Allan injured his head while heading the ball and retired. Barrell, who transferred to Bradley, the latter getting in a glorious centre, which Berry cleverly intercepted, initiated a nice movement by the Lincoln forwards. The defence of both sides was well maintained, so that the respective forwards required to put forth more than an ordinary effort to get within striking distance of the goal. Allen reappeared a little before the interval. A neat centre from Chedgzoy was almost bungled by the Lincoln back. Jackson putting the ball out for a corner. Then Manning drove the ball against the upright, and shortly afterwards the same player rounded Meunier nicely and Weller saved the position by granting a corner. A smart advance by the Lincoln left wing developed into a sustained attack on the Everton goal, and the ball was crossed to the oppose wing, where Manning centred, and McCubbin piloted the ball into the net. Berry was apparently unsighted and allowed the ball to pass through his hands. Half-time Everton nil, Lincoln City 1. After the interval Pinkney and Gourlay changed places, and the former missed two excellent chances from fine position. Wilson handled in the penalty area, Weller took the penalty kick, and Fern saved finely, although the direction was fairly straight. Lacey got in a good run and centred which was not improved upon, and Chedgzoy called upon Fern to put over a stringing shot. As in the initial half, the play was remarkably even. Final Everton nil, Lincoln City 1.

January 5, 1912 The Evening Express, Liverpool
By the Critic
That the game will prove a hard one goes without saying, and I fancy the spectators will see a very keen struggle for supremacy. There is likely to be a very big crowd present and it behoves intending spectators to take their places easily. The kick-off is timed for 2.30 so that there is a little move time at the workers disposal than there has been recently. The teams are fighting hard for one of the leading places, and the improvement shown by Everton recently has caused a revival in the ranks of the supporters who believe they have at present one of the best combinations in the country. The Blues intend to leave no stone unturned to bring about victory. The men are anxious to do well, and enthusiasts mat depend on seeing eleven triers.
Players Fit and Well
Mr. Cuff tells me that the men are all fit and well. Harris having recovered from his injury. Boy Browell had a sort of introduction to his new colleagues methods yesterday, when the five forwards indulged in a few minutes practice, the new recruit going in fine style. The idea was to give the youth some knowledge of his colleagues methods so that he would not take the field as an litter stranger to them. Of course much is expected of the youth, and if he does not suffer from stage he ought to show up well. From what I hear he is not of a nervous temperament and he is not likely to be upset by the big crowd.

The Teams
The visitors are still doubtful about their defence, but no matter what the backs may be they are bound to give Everton a rare good run. The half-backs line is particularly strong, and the home forwards will have sturdy opponents to face. Roberts is a clever centre-half who requires a lot of beating and Browell is up against a big proposition. The teams will be;- Everton; Scott; Stevenson, and Macconnachie; Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson. Manchester United; Edmonds; Stacey, and Holden (or Donnelly); Duckworth, Roberts, and Bell; Meredith, Hamill, West, Turnbull, and Wall.

January 6, 1912. The Evening Express, Liverpool
At Old Trafford in miserably wet weather before a few hundred spectators. Owing to injuries United were compelled to make several alterations. United had the best of matters and Nuttall and Sheldon nearly scored, but owing to the vile conditions neither side could do itself justice. The defence on both sides was remarkably sound. Half-time; Manchester Res 0, Everton Res 0.

January 6, 1912. The Evening Express, Liverpool
The First League matches down for decision today are of a most interesting character. One of the most attractive will be that at Goodison Park. Everton and Manchester United who are next to each other in the table being in opposition. Both clubs have very fine defences and should Everton maintain their recent good form it is not likely that the League champions will be able to bag both points as they did last year. The match is all the more attractive in view of the fact that Browell the young centre forward who has been secured from Hull City will lead the home attack. In their respects the Everton team will be unchanged but the United have had to make several changes owing to illness and indisposition.

Everton v. Manchester United –at Goodison Park; 2.30. Everton; Scott; Stevenson, and Macconnachie; Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson. Manchester United; Edmonds; Holden and Donnelly; Duckworth, Roberts, and Bell; Meredith, Hamill, West, Blott, and Wall.

Manchester United Reserves v. Everton Res; At Old Trafford. Everton; Berry; Balmer and Meunier; Allan, Weller, and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Gracie, Robinson, and Lacey.

January 6, 1912. The Liverpool Courier.
One of the most attractive game today will be at Goodison Park. Everton and Manchester United, who are next to each other in the table, being in opposition. Both clubs have very fine defenders, and should Everton maintain their recent good form, it is not likely that the League champions will be able to bag both points, as they did last year. The match is all the more attractive in view of the fact that Browell, the young centre forward who, had been secured from Hull City, will lead the home attack. In other respects, the Everton team will be unchanged, but the United had to make several charges owing to illness and indisposition.

January 8, 1912. The Liverpool Evening Express
The incident at Goodison Park on Saturday when a spectator was allaged to have struck Wall caused quite a flutter of excitement. It was impossible to see from the Press box what actually occurred, but we are informed that the incident arose when a spectator became a bit excited when, to his mind, Roberts fouled Bradshaw, and the spectator taking exception to this hooted. On the other hand, Wall seemed to take exception to the spectator's attitude and so it is allaged, the player started pulling faces and jeering at the spectator. The latter took no notice until Wall with the side of his foot threw some mud in the direction of the spectator in question. The latter so weare informed simply-applauded this, and Wall, it is alleged became excited, and went up to the barrier with mud in his hand, threatening to throw the fifth. A warm altercation took place during which the player inquired if he would see the spectator after the match, but the latter declined to do any such thing, but from what we hear there was no objectionable language used and when the linesman came up Wall struck the spectator, who retaliated. The referee and the players pulled Wall away, and the incident closed.

This is, the spectator informs us what actually happened.

January 8 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
An interesting serial romance might be written entitled “Everton's search for a Centre-forward,” dealing especially with the problem which has this season perplexed the Everton directorate. If the story was in progress we should expect it to end last Saturday with the hero Tom Browell “living happy ever afterwards” –just in the old sweet way. The mild and humid weather we have been experiencing for some time gave place to a bitter cold and persistent rainfall which rendered the playing pitch at Goodison Park almost a swamp. It was under such trying and unpleasant conditions that the new man was to make his debut before 20,000 appreciative spectators. When the Blues took the field, Browell was at once singled out because of his figure, truly this phenomenon from Hull is a stripling compared with most players. Immediately the fun started, every eye was fastened on “Young Tom.” The crowd was struck at once with his easy and graceful movement, to which was allied rare speed and directness of purpose. Bradshaw took the earliest opportunity of testing his young colleague with a neat square pass, which Tom took on the run and the ball sped to Edmonds as an arrow leaves the bow. Browell's opening move was perfect in execution and Edmonds was lucky to turn the truculent sphere round the corner of the post.

Despite the sloppy state of the ground both sets of players showed astonishing energy and cleverness in manipulating the grease ball. Wall was speedy and moved over the muddy surface with easy and confidence and throughout the game the enterprising left winger was the most trustful factor in United's attack. There were also many pretty and devious incursions by West, Hamill, and Meredith, but there was such a fine understanding between “Mac” and Stevenson that the Mancunians “three” were made to appear somewhat Falstaffian. Roberts however, was not so comfortable as Fleetwood, who backed up his forward line very well. The home attack gained in strength and subtlety as the game proceeded, and Edmond's alertness alone saved the United from disaster. At the end of twenty minutes Browell had sent several shots well home to Edmonds, and proved his ability to judge the lie of the game very astutely. He seems instrinctly to be in the right place and anticipates a pass with the keenest intelligence. The Hull prodigy never dallies, and goes ahead immediately he gets possession or parts cleverly and accurately to left or right his quickness of decision is obviously one of his most valuable points. Bradshaw was the Moltke of the home attack, and his incomprehensible stratagems and running crosses addled the pates of his opponents. Jefferies and Beare were in fine form, and the speed and dexterity shown by the Blackpool youth elicited frequent applause. Beare and Jefferies were the real live force of the home attack and sometimes their superior irrepressibility brought the Mancunians almost to a standstill. After about twenty minutes' play Beare headed a determined raid, which culminated in a short sharp struggle in front of Edmonds. Beare, Browell, and Jefferies fiercely sought to make a breach; them for a moment the ball lay dormant in the mud –then next, Bradshaw had propelled it obliquely into the corner of the net. The second goal occurring immediately after, was gained much more easily for the Blues operating in line swept clean through the opposition. Bradshaw again with deadly precision striking the inside of the post and giving Edmonds no chance whatever.

An interesting feature of the first half was the obvious anxiety of the Blues to play up to Browell. The youngster made several genuine efforts to beat Edmonds, but the keeper seemed to have brim weighted up. Still, luck was bound to come Browell's way, for he shows real genius and improving opportunities, and with Beare, Jefferies and Bradshaw feeding him generously, and persistently, chances galore were forced on him. At last the inevitable happened when five minutes after the restart, strong work by Beare and Jefferies drew the opposition and enabled the latter to pass in neatly to Browell, who trapped the ball smartly and coolly tipped it past Edmonds. The new arrival must have been proud of the enthusiastic greeting his maiden goal received. In the second moiety United seemed to recognise the almost impossible task of getting on level terms, indeed on both sides the play was anasmodic, for most of the men were almost dead beat. Still there were occasional spasms of really bright football. Jefferies worked himself to death and Browell was obviously “jigged.” Beare however, was a marvel of stamina and energy and to his initiative Browell owed his second goal. One thing the new centre proved, i.e. that in the future very few chances will be mulled in front of goal, for Master Tom has the knack of nutting the ball “right there” ever time. It was a slashing game and a decisive victory, and both teams received a complimentary ovation as they retired. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain) backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare Jefferies, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Manchester United: - Edmonds, goal, Holden and Donnelly, backs Duckworth, Roberts (Captain), and Bell, half-backs, Meredith, Hamill, West, Blott, and Wall, forwards.

January 8, 1912. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton had the better of the play in their match with Manchester United at Old Trafford, but, like their opponents, they found it a matter of difficulty in shooting accurately in the mud, and the end came with neither side able to get a goal. Everton: - Berry (Captain), goal, R. Balmer and Meunier backs Allan Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Gracie, Robinson, and Lacey forwards.

January 12, 1912 The Evening Express, Liverpool
Hull City's Explanation
Little short of consternation was felt on Humberside when it was known that Browell had signed for Everton. There were open expressions of indignation on the Anlaby road ground at Hull on Saturday prior to the match with Blackpool. Interviewed later, Mr. Alwyn D Smith, Hull City's chairman, said they had no idea of throwing Tom Browell away. They had repeatedly been asked by clubs to release him, but they declined all overturns until Everton came with such a substantially increased offer that the directorate could not refuse it. They felt (days the Athletic News) that they would never receive such an offer again. It was well over £1,000 but he would not say that the sum approached the record; because Everton did not desire that the amount should be published. He thought they could spare Tom Browell, as they were satisfied that Best was qualified to fill the position in the centre. In allowing Browell to depart the future of the club had to be considered and here, said Mr. Alwyn Smith was their chance. The suggestion that they did not seek promotion was sheer nonsense. In the First Division especially “if you had not got money and did not get it, you were absolutely out of it.” The right way was to consolidate their financial position as they were doing. All sensible people would recognize that in connection with the Browell transaction.

January 12, 1912. The Evening Express, Liverpool
At Goodison Park. The opening exchanges were very quiet, but at length Lincoln attacked and a mis-kick by Meunier threatened danger to the Blues and the ball was not got away until Berry had saved magnificently from McCubbins. At the Lincoln end Lacey after executing a pretty dribble got in a perfect centre, which was not utilsed. After Meunier had cleared an attack on the home goal, Gourley secured on the right wing, and outpacing Wilson, sent in a terrific drive which struck the crossbar and went over Gourley again got the better of the Lincoln halves, and shot across the goalmouth. After this the play was of a very tame description, both sides serving up a very poor display. In cleaning a centre Allen received a nasty injury and was forced to retire. Everton appeared to be out of luck, for shortly afterwards Weller was injured, but shortly was able to resume after receiving the attentions of the trainer. Allen returned after about five minutes, and Everton at once put in a series of attacks, but nothing tangible resulted. After a succession of mistakes on the part of the home defence McCubbin secured in a good position, and with Berry unsighted shot into the net. Half-time Lincoln City 1, Everton Reserves 0. Final; Lincoln City 1, Everton Reserves 0.

January 13, 1912. The Evening Express
Cup-Tie At Clayton
A Hard-Fought Game
Goal for Each Side in First Half
Keen Defensive Work
By Rover
The Everton team, as is usual on their visits to the Metroplois made the journey yesterday, accompanied by several directors of the club. With the exception of Macconnachie, who had a cold, the Everton players were all reported fit this morning, and consequently there was no change from the side which defeated Manchester United last week. The “Blues” fully recognised the seriousness of the tussle before them, for the “Orientals” have only once, early in the season, been defeated at home. Still the Goodison Park team were hopeful of pulling through successfully. Rain had fallen in the city during the morning, and the atmosphere was close, and there were indications of the playing pitch being very holding. Everton team; Scott, goal; Stevenson and Macconnachie (captain), backs; Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs; Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Clayton Orient;- Bower, goal; Johnson and Riddell, backs; Hind, Liddell, and Willis, half-backs; Parker, Dalymple, Bevan, McFadden, and Dix, forwards. The referee was Mr. Bullimer. It was hoped that Johnson who injured his ankle a month ago, would have been available, but this was found impossible. Riddle was drafted into the left back, otherwise the side was at its fullest strength. An inspection of the ground just prior to the commencement of the proceedings showed that the directors of the club had spared no efforts o get it into satisfactory order. Contrary to expectations it was in really good conditions and favoured a fast game. The light, however, was none too promising and it was a debatable point as to whether it would hold out.

Sensational Opening
Arrangements had been made for a big gathering, but the shilling “gate” had evidently not caught on and when the teams stepped into the field there would not be more than 12,000 present. Macconnachie won the toss, but there was no wind. The game had a sensational opening, for after the Orient's centre had failed to exact quarter from Fleetwood, the Everton centre-half put out to Jefferis. The latter swung the ball out to Davidson, and getting the better of Johnston the ball was dribbled across the goalmouth, where Beare lay unmarked. Closing in the Everton right had Bower at his mercy and crowned his movement with a swift low shot. The Orient were quickly in the picture but their forwards with great resistance from the Everton halves and after another steady movements Browell tried a long shot which Bower had no difficulty in saving. Then came a fine advance on the Orient right, and Parker finished up a really clever movement with a shot which caused Scott to come out and fist clear. Urged on by their supporters the home lot were for some little time engaged in a strenuous effort to get on level terms, but there was no slackness on the part of the Everton defenders, of whom Macconnachie frequently headed out, while Stevenson was a match for the left-wing pair.

Fleetwood Saves
Several attacks led up to a corner kick which Parker well in front of the goal mouth. Here McFadden hooked the ball in but Fleetwood was in the way, and first heading out finally kicked clear. Several attempts of the Everton forwards to get going were checked by a keen set of half-back. A long pass from Davidson went astray and on a further return Browell was penalized for fouling Bevan. Makepeace came to the rescue and then followed a similar movement to that which led up to Everton's early success. But this time Riddle was prepared for the final pass to Beare and the situation was saved. Although the Orients were prominently in view their movements were more of the rush and kick order in marked contrast to the more concerted action of the Blues. However from one breakaway Liddell tried a long shot, which sailed over the bar. This was followed by a sharp advance on the Everton right, and a long dropping shot by the keeper was safely negotiated by Bower. Clayton moved down again, and had a sporting chance of equalizing from a free kick against Fleetwood just outside the penalty area. Liddell put out to Dix, who was well placed, but the latter's final touch went very wide of the mark.

Brilliant Work
Next came a brilliant bit of work by Parker, who outwitted Makepeace and Macconnachie and finished up with a perfect centre. Fortunately Stevenson had anticipated the pass to Bevan to a nicety and just got the ball away as the latter was about to complete the movement from a position that would have given Scott little chance of saving. There could be no mistaking the earnestness of the Orient at this juncture, and there were many anxious moments for the Everton backs. On one occasion after Scott had only partially saved, the ball was bogging about the goalmouth and looked like being propelled into the net, when Harris nipped in and headed out for Fleetwood to complete the save. It was a narrow squeak and enthused much life among the home players. Everton survived a persistent pressure and then made off on the right. Riddell saved the situation by conceding a corner kick, which Beare accurately placed. Browell headed swiftly. However, Bower ganged the direction nicely and the situation was saved. A short stoppage owing to injury to Makepeace was followed by another stirring advance on the Everton citadel and Scott had to clear with a flying kick from Liddell.

The Equaliser
The persistent efforts of the home side were eventually rewarded for after Scott had saved from McFadden, Bevan pounced upon a sharp return, and scored from close range. An appeal for offside not being entertained, this point was recorded after play had been 35 minutes in progress. This success fairly roused the enthusiasm of the crowd, and for some few minutes the Clayton forwards gave the Everton backs a rare grueling. Relief came as a result of wing play by Beare and Dawson but their centres were keenly scuffed by a determined set of defenders who ably covered the keeper. Within a couple of minutes Scott had to deal with shots from Dix and McFadden and then Davidson looked like taking the lead again, when Johnston beat him for possession and put out of play. As the interval approached play became keener than ever, with never an idle moment for the respective defenders. The Orient were the more aggressive, but met with determined resistance from Macconnachie.

Half-time; Clayton 1, Everton 1.
Pass Into Second Round
Winning Goal By Browell
Blues Incisive Play
The second half had no sooner been resumed than Everton went down in almost similar fashion as at the opening of the game. An opening from Davidson was presented, Browell, however, missed but the ball went to Beare, who was again unmarked, but to the great surprise of all he missed the absolutely open goal. A breakaway on the Orient right was short-lived, and Everton redoubling their efforts worked down again on the left. Then came a beautiful drive from Jefferis, but he was unfortunately enough to see the ball miss the mark by the nearest shade. Returning again the Orient defenders were subjected to further pressure, but they kept their change intact, though they were lucky a moment later, for Bradshaw was only a trifle out of his reckoning with a header from Beare's centre.

In Failing Light
The light was showing signs of failure, and there was quite half an hour to go. As before, the Orient seemed to take a fresh lease of life, and for some little time swooped down before the Everton defenders, Scott on two occasions having to deal with shots from McFadden and Bevan. The pace just now slackened down appreciably, but in one of Everton's advances Beare had a possible opening, but finished tamely, while on another return the ball was put wide. Next came a brilliant shot from Bradshaw. The excellence of his effort was only equalled by the skill with which Bower threw himself out and diverted the ball round the line. A minute later Davidson was unfortunate to slip when the goal was at his mercy, and hereabout Everton were must unlucky indeed.

Goal By Browell
However, they persisted in their aggressive tactics and after Bower had failed to hold a shot from Bradshaw, Browell rushing up, piloted the ball into the net, and thus gave his side the lead.

The play of the respective teams during the first half stood out in marked contrast. The well-known dash of the Orient in the early stages was always in evidence, and it was well that the Everton defenders kept cool-heads. On the other hand there was cool, collective, and incisive play by the Blues forwards, and their advances were always of a dangerous nature. However, the home backs and halves stopped at nothing to keep their opponents out, and when close quarters were reached the near guards showed much good resource by covering their custodian. Everton's early lead was something of a damper to the home enthusiasts, but they cheered on their favourities, who responded well, and in the early stages of the first half were certainly the most dangerous side. Their forwards had evidently got the better of the Everton halves for they frequently penetrated this part of the defence, with the result that Scott had much more to do than his vis-à-vis. Most of the dangerous movements came from parker on the Orient right. He showed much cleverness in his tussle with Makepeace and frequently put across many fine centres. The Everton forwards were often concerned in several fine movements but they were up against a stubborn set of defenders. However Everton's persistence bore good result, and Browell's success was a fitting testimony to the value of closely following up. The keeper had only partly evaded the shot from Bradshaw and but for the alertness of Everton's centre.

Final; Everton 2, Clayton O 1.
Goal Scores
Everton; Beare, and Browell
Clayton Orient -Bevan

January 13 1912. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton have a much more formidable task, in visiting Clayton, but there can be no question that on recent form the Everton club have the strongest side they have had for many season's past. Certainly with Browell at centre forward and no changes necessary in other departments, everything points to Clayton again going under, as they have previously had to do when they have met Derby County, Newcastle, Spurs, and Woolwich Arsenal in the competition.

January 13, 1912. The Liverpool Echo.
Liverpool F.C. has long been served by its “Robbie” now Everton have signed on a pro form. “Robbie” as his admires term him. He is Tom Robinson a young inside left, who has been playing with Everton Reserves during their last half-dozen games. His display has been clever for an eighteen-year-old, and the Everton directors decided, when the buy determined to take football as a profession, to register him. He is apprenticed to the engineering trade, and will continue to serve his masters until his “time2 is called.

January 15 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Fa Cup Round One.

The Evertonians have every reason to feel satisfied with themselves as the result of their visit to Clayton on Saturday. They gained the day, but they did not come through the encounter unscathed. The Orient team made a bold and brilliant bid for victory, and in the last five minutes they failed to gain the chance of living to fight another day. Although it was a stirring and typical Cup the game –full of fire and incidents, and fought with tremendous energy. The home team indeed, gave the visitors something of a shock indeed, gave the visitors something of a shock by reason of their forceful tactics, and it is not too much to say that in the first period they were the better side. It was after crossing over that the Evertonians showed their superiority in combination and design, but when in the last minutes of the game, they slackened off a little they nearly paid the penalty. The Orient halves and forwards came away a tornado-look rush that threatened to sweep the visitors off their feet. Scott, fortunately, filled the breach with the fidelity of a sentinel on guard, and so the battle ended in the spoils going to the Goodison Park brigade. In congratulating Everton upon their performance, we must not forges to offer a full need of praise to the Londoners for their brave display. Generally speaking, the footwork was good, considering the greasy state to the turf, and when the game was properly opened out some of the passing movements were very pretty to witness.

A damp mist overhung the ground when the game began, and before it was over the light was so bad that the far goal could not be clearly seen from the stand. The Evertonians set the ball rolling in the most sensational fashion. It was taken along the left wing by Bradshaw, who swung it right across to Beare, and the latter, being quite unmarked by Riddle, scored very easily. This all happened within a minute, and it gave the Clapton men something to play for. They rose to the occasion admirably, and proceeded to keep Everton almost continuously on the defensive. Macconnachie and Makepeace were led a merry dance by Parker and Dalrymple, who frequently got round them and put the ball to Beavn. The home centre forward, however, was at times rather clumsy, and though once or twice he tried to force Scott's hands, the latter generally got the ball away. At last, however, he succeeded in beating the Everton custodian. Parker, leading the attack, shot, strongly and Scott in clearing put the ball to Dix, who shot in turn. The keeper and Bervan made for it together, and the latter won.

In the second period, as in the first, Everton were the first to become aggressive, and Beare threw away an open goal when he shot right across. Then Jefferis missed an opening, and a little later Browell was equally guilty. Nevertheless the visitors were now showing something of their real skill, and after half an hour's going they reaped their due reward, for following upon a free kick Browell scored the goalkeeper falling as he tried to save. There was then a disposition to take things easily, and for some time the play fell away very considerably. Everton appeared content to act on the defensive, and there was much kicking out. Towards the close, however, Clapton came away with an astonishing rally, and in the last minutes McFadden put in a stinging shot which saved in sensational fashion with one hand. The Orient forwards were thoroughly roused, and they were still assaulting the Everton goal when time was called.

The Everton forwards –especially the two inside men –played brilliant football. Some of their work commanded general admiration, and both Bradshaw and Jefferis were frequently applauded. The outside men –Beare and Davidson –were also conspicuous doing a lot of extremely clever wing work. Browell was too well watched by Liddell to show his real ability, but all were struck by the smart way he opened the game out and fed his wings. He is rapidly dropping into the Everton style. The half-backs appeared to tire towards the end, but they had a tremendous amount of work to do. The backs also, had little breathing space, and they both came through the ordeal with flying colours. Scott kept his charge magnificently. The Orient forwards have both fire and pace, and Parker, Dalrymple and Beare were always dangerous. Liddell played finely at centre half, and Johnston proved himself a wonderfully clever and resourceful full-back. Teams: - Clapton Orient: - Bowen, goal, Johnston, and Riddle, backs, Hind, Liddell, and Willis, half-backs Parker, Dalrymple, Bevan, McFadden and Dix forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Referee L. Bradshaw.

January 16, 1912. The Liverpool Mercury and Post.
The action of the president in ordering Birmingham either to sign on or give a free transfer to J. Patteson (who had a trial at Everton) was confirmed. Permission was given to Hull City to pay to T. Browell £150 out of the transfer fee received from Everton.

January 20, 1912. The Evening Express, Liverpool
We are officially informed that Ernest Magner, the Everton reserve centre-forward has been transferred to Paisley St. Mirren, and he will play for that team against Celtic at Pasiley today. Magner has been with Everton two seasons, and is a very good centre. He played for the first team several times last season and in the first round of the cup against Crystal Palace last season. Magner is a Newcastle youth, and although he has not played in League football this season he has done well with the reserves. He may do well in Scotland; Magner formerly played for Gainsbrough Trinity. He stands 5tf 8 ½ in height and weighs 11st 8lbs.

January 20, 1912. The Liverpool Echo.
Everton, with their superiority of wealth at centre forward, have decided that they can reasonably dispense with one of the men who had filled the berth. Magner is the man, and he has been transferred to Paisley St. Mirren, for which he will play today against Celtic. Magner travelled fate last night so that he might make his debut today, and he will be eligible for inclusion in the team against Aberdeen for the Cup the nest week. He came to Everton from Gainsbrough Trinity, and once looked like holding a place in the first team, his trustfulness general attack getting hold upon all concerned. He made his League debut when Everton made some big changes for the visit to Preston North End. Magner and Chedgzoy were of the team, which won 2-1. Magner scored the first goal, McBride making a bad blunder. Afterwards he appeared at the home match, and was badly knocked about in a collision. The goal he gained at the Crystal Palace was quite one of the best ever seen on the ground, it was the result of intense earnestness and determination, and was one of four which gave Everton's a pass into another stage of the Cup tie. After a while Magner got a knock and was latch aside. This season, too, he had been in ill health, and but had an operation. He is a young clean living, follow and he goes from Liverpool with all good wishes.

Everton's record: - 1910-11 League apps, 6, goals 2 Fa cup apps 3 apps, 1 goal.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 22 January 1912
The ground at Anfield was cleared of snow, and this local Derby attracted 35,000 spectators. The playing pitch was in a heavy state. Everton were at full strength, but Liverpool lacked the services of Parkinson and Harrop. Play favoured Everton at the outset, the Liverpool defence being hard pressed. Liverpool improved, Bovill shooting wide. Browell scored for Everton from Davidson's centre. Interval: —Everton 1 goal, Liverpool none. Everton were prominent the second half with some nice passing, and after five minutes Jeffries dribbled through in delightful fashion, and scored the second goal. Everton were much the better side, and Liverpool rarely broke away. Hardy brought off a brilliant save, and then Gilligan scored for Liverpool. Beare, however, put a third for Everton in the last few minutes. Result Everton 3 goals, Liverpool 1 goal.

January 22 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The great encounter between Everton and Liverpool triumphed over weather conditions of the severest kind, and a large crowd assembled at Anfield to admire and applaud the skill of the respective champions. Despite the recent visitation of a heavy snowfall, the playing pitch was blameless, and the quality of the game probably equal to the best traditions of these historic encounters. Of late Parkinson has been showing brilliant form, and it was therefore a sort of mild calamity that the executive of his club had no player of equal merit to deputise for him on Saturday. Gilligan filled the breach, but he was not up to concer-pitch and before the finish he was limping rather badly. The Anfield attack, when led by Parkinson is usually strongest in the centre, but on Saturday this was where the chief weakness lay. Peake is unquestionably a centre-half of character, but Harrop, in the opinion of many, is the brainiest pivot in the country, and his absence must be regarded an another setback for the Reds, who have never had to face' a cleverer Everton combination than the present one. If ever a game looked a real good thing on paper for one team, this did for Everton despite the fact that the Anfielders had scored six success victories. Liverpool's supporters, of course would not admit any superiority of the Blues, and in the earlier stages of the game their optimism seemed justified. The game opened before 35,000 spectators, and in the earlier stages the Blues on one occasion had a great chance of scoring. Harris had checked an ambitious Anfield venture, and transferred the sphere across the ground to Davidson who gave Robinson the slip and dribbled the ball swiftly down to the flag, from whence he middled accurately. If the Everton inside trio, had made a dash for it, nothing could have saved Hardy. As it was however, the Blues hung five strangely, despite the fact that Pursell had failed in an attempts to head off the threatening projectile so ultimately the chances fizzled out in gloriously.

During the first half the game seemed wonderfully restrained, and devoid of that fierce keenness' which has usually been characteristic of Everton and Liverpool encounters. Both sides seemed intent on doing things selfishly and working out their plans with studied exactitude. Much of the play resembled a game of draughts, so deliberative were the methods employed. Operations were, however, by no means tedious, but they were inclined to be over dine in portions of cleverness and not inefficiently vimish and incisive. The defence on both sides was really superb, but the Everton attack showed better cohesion, and more directness of purpose that the Anfield line. Uren forced the pace chiefly for his side and Harris found the dexterous and speedy winger very difficult to control. Many beautiful centre came from the left wing, but there was no battering ram like Parkinson to harass the defence with cohesion and irresistible assurance. At the end of half an hour Hardy had been well tested at all points, but he slaved off disaster with all his old skill. He was to fall, however, not as the result of force bombardment of the assaults of overwhelming odds but in one of those long swift like thrusts which are Browell's specialise and extremely deadly in the quickness of their delivery. In the first place Davidson received in Anfield territory and reached the corner flag without a check. His centre might have been made on a billiard table, for the ball pursued the course to deliberately and evenly that Hardy could easily have some forth and cleared. What the Anfield custodian intended to do may never be known, but what Browell did proves once more how he decides and acts almost simultabequaly. The Everton centre had a few yards to cover, but he seemed to fly over the ground quicker than the eye could follow, and the ball was in the net almost before the crowd could anticipate the probabilities of the position.

No further scoring took place up to the interval. Everton had not asserted themselves quite as expected, but the Reds' defence was really grand; nevertheless there was no question as to the superiority of the Blues for in spite of individual excellence, the Anfielders were nothing like so well balanced and mechanical in their ventures as the visitors. Bovill had played well without proving dangerous. Stuart's methods were admired by many for their grace and cleverness, but he was not an effective force. Goddard is still a graceful wingers, but he does not get the weight into his work as of yore. Lowe, has never played better, and in him the club boasts a powerful and effective half-back. Peake did well against Browell who was never allowed much latitude. The game was resumed in spirited fashion, and after about six minutes had elapsed Jefferis electrified the crowd with a wonderful solo effort which was distinctly reminiscent of Freeman's palmiest efforts. It was practically an individual efforts, for Jefferis dribbled the ball nearly half the length of the field, craftily eluding and deluding his opponents en route. Hardy should certainly have ventured out, as he had failed to do against Browell. Custodian, however, see the position differently to spectators, and act accordingly. Jefferis very deliberately reserved his final effort until he was almost, in the goalmouth, when he completed a really glorious effort by calmly putting the ball beyond. Hardy's ken. The amazing goal seemed to assure the Blues of easy victory, but it was not to be.

There is frequently a tendency for a team to slacken their efforts when they have quite proved their superiority. Sometimes too, and strange it is a team cannot easily get back into their stride after falling out of it. Any way, there came about a lapse in the Everton rear, which allowed Gilligan Stuart, and Bovill to make a hugh breach and get through together. It fell to Gilligan to put the finishing touch successfully on this swiftly executed intrusion. The Anfielders' success imparted the necessary spice to the game, and for some time the dash was distinctly hot. The Reds fought fiercely to get on even terms, and their stamina developed correspondingly. It was all to no purpose however, for the Blues met the determined onslaught of their hosts with a calmness and inflexibility, which soon chilled the ardour of the Anfielders. Beare was all through the game venturesome and intrepid, though far too vigorously opposed by Pursell . The stout hearted Blackpool youth resped his due reward three minutes from the close, when a spirited onslaught carried out by Maskepeace brought about the downfall of the Anfield citadel for the third time. Everton thus gained a decisive victory by three goals to one.

Teams: - Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Longsworth, and Pursell, backs Robinson, Peake, and Lowe, half-backs, Goddard (Captain), Bovill, Gilligan Stewart, and Uren, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal Stevenson, and Macconnachie, (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs Beare Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw and Davidson, forwards. Referee J. Mason.

January 23 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Whites against stripes were played at Edwood Park yesterday, before 14,000 spectators. Jefferis played for the Whites and Browell, and Bradshaw played for the Stripes. The Whites winning by a single Jefferis goal to nil.


January 27 1912. The Liverpool Courier.

What promises to be one of the best games in todays, English League matches in the visit of Aston Villa to Goodison Park. The chances are that Everton, with their full force available, will make amends for their defeat in the corresponding game of last year. They have won six of their last seven games by a total score of twelve to two, whereas the Villa have only won one of their last four games. Still, the Villa are unquestionably a better team than their recent record suggests. Compared with the side which did duty against Manchester City, there are three changes in the Villa forward line, Gerrish and Stephenson dropping out, whilst Bache goes back to his old position of inside left, to enable Henshall to take the extreme berth on the other wing, Walls returns to partner Wallace. The Weather being fine, match ought to attract almost a record attendance, including today, Everton have nine home matches remaining, and the team can be relied upon to make a bold bid to secure the championship.



January 29 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


Probably if a referendum were to be taken of the 30,000 spectators who witnessed the drawn battle between Everton and Aston Villa, there would be several opposite opinions. Even thick and thin supporters of the club could not fairly claim that Everton had anything in hand, or that they showed their true form on the hard ground. Singularly enough, the Toffees have shown a remarkable spititude for excelling in the mud; now, however, when they are tried on a hard ground, with a lively ball, they are somewhat hard put to escape defeat. It would perhaps be going too far to even suggest that Everton were at all lucky in sharing the points, but the margin between defeat and victory was so slender that it needed but a chance stroke to turn the tide of battle one way or the other. Indeed, the Villa might be accounted lucky, to have scored at all, as Hampton's goal was a glaring fluke; nevertheless the plan of attack, and its execution, was quite good enough to gain a goal. Still, it was Scott's faux pas at the critical moment, which enabled Hampton to score. Hampton carries his enterprise, at times to questionable lengths, but doubtless he has found his methods pay.


The battle had been in progress twenty-five minutes when a bold frontal attack brought Villa's inside trio practically face to face with Scott. Everton's custodian held a slight advantage in having a couple of yards of land before him in which to operate. He decided to pilot the ball between Walters and Hampton, but the latter's mercurial temperament upset the custodian's combination, as the centre suddenly swerved and made a dash for Scott. The Irish international was hoist with his own petard, because he kicked the ball hard onto Hampton, who thus involuntarily stopped the ball and returned it by his own impetus into the net. Up to this unlucky point the Blues had overplayed their visitors somewhat, though they had failed to materialise two or three good chances. Beare was dead off form, and probably he is not one of the football heroes who like to hear their hoofs rattle. All his fighting spirit was gone, too, and, metaphorically, he was a Sampson in miniature shown of his locks. It indicated his worth as an essential factor in attack. Browell was another decadent, and, like “the peri outside the gates of Paradise” he frequently looked wistfully at the space between Miles and Weston, but could not summon up courage to pass through, Everton's centre looked singularly laddish on Saturday; but those who saw him for the first time searched in vain for his phenomenal dash and skill. Once he flashed out like a rocket in the darkness, when from a most difficult position he brought the ball round and projected it was amazing power towards Anstey's fortress. The custodian might easily have failed to measure such an elusive fight, but he timed the ball's arrival with perfect accuracy, and beat it down harmlessly.


Browell's inability to trustfully manipulate passes directed by Bradshaw and Jefferis made the home attack somewhat characterless, and so in the words of the inimitable Gilbert, it was for the most part “a thing of shreds and patches.” The Villians showed more dash and better cohesion, but they seldom succeeded in completely baffling Everton's halves, and backs together. In line, the home defence was excellent. At the interval Villa were that lucky goal in hand; so doubtless the Blues conferred during the “breather,” and in boxing parlance, decided to “slip it at” the Villians without further delay. The restart proved a bit fierce, and the spectators, who had patiently endured forty-five minutes of dainty tip-top football, must have relished the abandonment of parlour methods. Hampton, who had tried a fall with Fleetwood just before the interval, got a nasty one, and when he reappeared he was quite lamb-like. Everton at once forced the pace, and took firm root in Brummagem territory. After three minutes of bustling play Bradshaw finessed for an opening, and then got inside Anstey's guard with a great slashing shot, which practically clave the galliant warden from crown to chin. After this rousing equaliser the crowd became optimistic, and through full points a sure thing. But Anstey, Miles, and Weston proved a modern “daintless thres,” each of them being as quick as cats on the ball, and heading much more reliably than their hosts. Villa's attack consisted of five soundmen, Wallace frequently showing Macconnachie a clean pair of heels. As Browell and Beare were unable to arrive at their true form, the closing odds were a bit in favour of the Villians who were “full of fight” to the last. The game concluded with “honours easy,” and this was probably a fair reflex of the teams' respective merits. If such a reckless individual as Hampton found himself conquered by the adamantine turf, it is highly probable all the players were influenced by the knowledge that a fall was hardly likely prove. It was not a keen incisive game, both teams did well “under the circumstances” to escape defeat and Everton especially to retain unbroken their lengthy stay of non-defeats. Team: - Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Aston Villa: - Anstey goal, Weston, and Miles, backs, Tranter, Logan, and Whittaker, half-backs, Wallace, Walters, Hampton, Bache, and Henshall, forwards.

January 29 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton suffered defeat at Burnley, and the result was in keeping with the play. Chedgzoy scored Everton's orphan point. Burnley had the best of the argument up to the interval, when the score was one goal each. Afterwards Burnley maintained their advantage on the play, and added two more goals to their score. Everton: - Berry (Captain), goal, R. Balmer, and Meunier, backs, Allan, Weller and W. Davies, half-backs, Pinkney Gourlay, Wynn, Robertson, and Chedgzoy, forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 29 January 1912
At Goodison Park, in fine weather before 40,000 spectators. Villa made several changes, but Everton were at their strongest. Play favoured Everton at the start but they were loose in front of goal. They continued to have the best of the play, but finished badly. Hampton scored for Villa owing to loose defence. Play was inclined to be rough, but very fast. Interval Aston Villa 1 goal, Everton none. Play was again fast on resuming, and after five minutes Everton dashed away, and from a fine pass by Jefferis, Bradshaw equalised with a good shot. Everton attacked strongly, and Anstey's saved brilliantly from Browell and Beare. Scott also saved grandly from Hampton. The game was afterwards contested in warm style, both sides trying hard, but the defences prevailed. Result; Everton 1 goal, Aston Villa 1 goal.


January 1912