Everton Independent Research Data


January 1,1923. The Liverpool Daily Posy and Mercury
Everton yielded both points to Huddersfield Town in the first meeting of the Clubs at Goodison Park on Saturday. It was a new experience for Everton, for they had not previously been beaten by the Yorkshire side. Still there could be no disputing the fact that Huddersfield were the better side, and they won because they adapted themselves to the conditions with great facility. Huddersfield were smarter in all their movements, and the forwards swung the ball out to the speedy extreme wing men with great accuracy under difficult conditions. Stamina, too, played a big part in deciding the issue, and Huddersfield proved themselves better supplied in both a physical and football sense. There was plenty of good, hard football, and Everton held their own fairly well in the first half, but afterwards the superior methods of Huddersfield gave them a big advantage. All the goals were scored in the second half –tangible evidence of Huddersfield's wearing down tactics.

Harland was given plenty of work, for the Huddersfield forwards were never afraid to shoot, although they failed with at least three chances that should easily have been converted. At the same time Harland made grilling saves, his only mistake being when he misjudged the shot, that gave Huddersfield their third goal. Taylor was not so well employed, but gave evidence of his ability when occasions arose. The Huddersfield backs, as a pair, were better than Everton's. Raitt played soundly, but McDonald was not so confident, and his desire to dribble often brought him unnecessary work. Wadsworth and Barkas were as steady as a rock, and the Huddersfield halves made a splendid line, with Wilson a tower of strength. By comparison the Everton halves were much inferiors. They worked hard enough, but they rarely gave their forwards much help in a constructive sense. The Huddersfield forwards played the game best suited to the conditions, and Wilson, the centre, was repeatedly supplied with the right hand of passes, so that he was always a source of danger. Mann was a great schemer, and the extreme wingmen speedy and clever. The Everton line did not work well, Irvine was prominent without being successful, and although he frequently made great efforts to open out the game his passes to Chadwick were badly timed. Reid was much below his usual form, and Williams was not so certain with his finishing work, but Parry in the outside-right position gave a useful display, and with a little more dash and experience should improve his game.

Wilson gave early evidence of his worth as a leader, and Harland did well to save a stinging shot in the first few minutes. Than Taylor dashed out to prevent a centre by Irvine from being picked up. Play was keen and wonderfully accurate in spite of the treacherous turf. Raiit showed clever defensive work, and Everton came within an ace of scoring when Barkes failed to clear, but the mistake was covered by the Huddersfield pivot. Harland made two exceptionally fine saves near the interval. He caught a center by Byers and scooped the ball away and when Mann got through and sent in a stinging shot Harland responded very skillfully. There was more incident in the play after the interval, and Wilson again led off with thrilling work. He put in a splendid run, and although he failed to get his shot home it was a fine individual effort. The Huddersfield attack developed very strongly, and Everton were hard pressed to keep their opponents at bay. McDonald let in Richardson, and the Huddersfield man got across a fine centre. Wilson let the ball pass, and Islip went through with a fine chance, which he wasted with a wide shot. Then Harland tipped over a beautifully placed shot by Byers. So persistent was the Huddersfield attack that it was obviously only a matter of time when the Evertoin defence would yield. Mann scored the first goal at sixty-five minutes. Byers put in a long shot, which Harland partially saved by falling to the ground, and before he could recover Mann sent the ball into the net. Chadwick almost equalised from a free kick, the ball striking the underpart of the crossbar, and although Irvine got the rebound, he shot wide. Richardson with another glorious run again put Mann in possession, and he finished by shooting against the woodwork. At eighty-five minutes, however, Mann scored a second goal. Richardson centred the ball, and Harland appeared to fist it against Mann, who got the ball into the net with his face. Two minutes from the end Byers scored a third goal with one of the best shots of the day. He drove in a high ball almost from the touchline, and Harland advanced a step to meet it, but he only touched the ball as it went into the net over his hand. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Brown Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Parry, Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Huddersfield Town: - Taylor, goal, Barkas, and Wadsworth, backs, Steele, T. Wilson, and Watson, half-backs, Richardson, Mann, C. Wilson, Islip, and Byers, forwards.

January 1, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Under the most unfavourable conditions there was a display of very good football at Leeds-road. Both attacks overcame the mud with their vigorous play, and there was much clever work. Everton held a slight advantage forward, but it was not until the near the interval they were able to turn it to account. McGivney was the scorer, and his goal was the result of a good solo effort. Earlier Goodall had scored for Hudderrsfield from a penalty, given against Livingstone, who tripped Broom. In the second half Everton were decide4ly livelier. Hamson and Virr on the left wing were particularly dangerous, the latter scoring. Huddersfield, however, replied once more, and Marlow equlised. Everton obtained the masterly towards the end, and Miller scored a goal, which gave them the victory. Everton deserved to win on account of greater accuracy in the forward work and finishing.

January 2, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By F. M. N.
Everton gained a welcome two points at the expense of the ‘Spurs at Goodison Park yesterday, after a game in which fortunes fluctuated considerably. The ground was not quite so heavy as on Saturday, and Everton were more suited by the conditions. They started off with a bang for they were a goal up in less than two minutes, Peacock scoring with a smart shot. The success, was welcomed but the play which followed did not inspire confidence in the Blues, and the Spurs for a considerable period had matters all their own way and Lindsay scored a very easy goal within ten minutes. For some time afterwards the visitors were the more polished side, but Harland made some glorious saves. Offside tactics adapted by the ‘Spurs did not help Everton, but later the Blues made a spurt, and a penalty kick awarded against Grimsdel for handling (tackling Peacock; Daily Post) gave Harrison the opportunity to put Everton ahead. Thus at the interval the home side led by two goals to one.


The ‘Spurs were unfortunate in as much as they resumed with Foster in a crippled condition as the result of an injury sustained in the initial half. After a few minutes he went to the extreme left, Dimmock playing full back. Thus the ‘Spurs were greatly handicapped. Still they made a good fight of it. Everton, however, were the better side and when Grenyer cleverly hooked a third goal from a corner the ‘ Spurs were well beaten.

It was a fascination game to watch, and the 20,000 spectators thoroughly enjoyed it. Everton made half a dozen changes, and for the most part the alterations worked out well. Chedgzoy and Peacock made a very live wing, with Irvine a dashing centre. The Irishman, however, was not as effective as on Saturday. Harrison and Williams were not so prominent, though both exhibited skill on occasions. Grenyer was about the best half-back, and his goal was cleverly obtained. Hart was not at home at centre half, but Raitt and Livingstone were sound backs, and Harland was safe in goal.

The Spurs were spasmodic in their efforts. At times brilliant they fell away considerably. The backs were very aggressive up to the time Foster was injured, and they worked the offside rule for all they were worth with much success. Grimsdell was always a power, and the forwards nippy and elusive. Lindsay and Handley were very quick, but Walden would have preferred firmer going. Dimmock made a good emergency back. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Hart (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Irvine, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Spurs: - Blake, goal, Clay, and Foster, backs, Smith, Lowe, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Walden, Seed, Lindsay, Handley, and Dimmock, forwards.

January 2 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
It was a well fought contest at Gigg-lane, but neither side exhibited good finishing power. Everton were much the superior side before the interval but finished badly. Simington, Bury's new Scottish inside left, was going through when he was fouled, Perry scoring from the penalty. In the second stage, Bury had the bulk of the play, and in the last minute Hoyland scored after a fine run. Salt gave a fine exhibition of goalkeeping and Caddick and Downs defended stubbornly, McGrae was the best of a moderate half-back line. The forwards were clever, but erratic in shooting.

January 8, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By F.M.N.
The Everton players are emphatic in their belief that they scored a good goal in the second half at Huddersfield, but the official result is that the Town won by a goal to nil. It is impossible for a referee to see everything and apparently when Chedgzoy centred and Williams headed the ball up he was under the impression it hit the under part of the bar and bounced down. From my position in the centre of the stand it was impossible for me to see whether the ball hit the bar or the top of the net, but I was informed by the players after the game that the ball hit the netting and not the bar. Anyway the point did not count and Everton retired beaten. I give full credit to the home side for their victory, which on the general run of the play they deserved. They were the more trustful in their methods, and their attacks were always laden with danger. Harland had far more to do than Taylor, but the gods were not good to the winners in front of goal, several shots being luckily charged down, while a goal was disallowed for offside and Wilson hit the post when a drive with the other foot must have found the net.

Everton were very near on other occasions but generally Huddersfield were the more convincing. Everton made the mistake of holding the ball too close and the backs dallied too much. Still it was a gruelling game and Everton fought hard every inch of the way. They came out with flashes of brilliance, but the home defence was not to be mastered. Harland made some good saves, and he had no chance with the close range shot with which Wilson scored. Raitt has played remarkably good football since he joined Everton, but he was off colour on the occasion, and failed to cope with the feet-footed Smith in the early stages, when the chief damage was done. Livingstone made some fine clearances, but his coolness at times, is his undoing. Still, he was by no means the least successful back.

The Everton halves stuck to their task in workmanlike fashion. Grenyer was the most successful of the trio, though Fleetwood and Brown were little behind in point of effectiveness. The forwards as a line did not inspire confidence. Wadsworth and his colleagues usually had their measure, though there were times when the Blues flattered. Chedgzoy gave occasional glimpses of his teal worth, but Peacock played a lot better, as also has Irvine. Williams and Harrison did fairly well, but the winger held the ball too long, and against such players as Barkas and Mann this did not pay. Taylor made one mistake when he almost let a drive from Chedgzoy through after he had stopped the ball. Wadsworth is a great back. He kicks like a horse, has plenty of pace, and is infinitely resourceful under pressure. Mann was a clever half, and Wilson a dour defender. Wilson (C.) in the centre proved a dashing raider, and he was ably assisted by the men on either side. Teams: - Huddersfield Town: - Taylor, goal, Barkas, and Wadsworth, backs, Mann, T. Wilson, and Watson, half-backs, Richardson, Islip, C. Wilson, Stephenson, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Fleetwood (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Irvine, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Hopkinson.

January 8, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton Reserves defeated Huddersfield Town Reserves, at Goodison Park on Saturday, by 3 goals to 1, and fully deserved their victory. The Blues were far the better side in the opening stages, the visitors being kept on the defensive for quite a time. It was largely due to fine efforts on the part of Massey, the Tykes' custodian, that Everton did not score, for on more than one occasion he diverted strong drives from Chadwick, who was unlucky in not opening the scoring. As it was, the visitors scored first, Johnson heading in a free kick taken by Talck. This goal was absolutely undeserved on the run of the play, but Everton drew level immediately afterwards through the medium of Chadwick, who converted a penalty kick for hands, while they took the lead soon afterwards, when Smith shot into his own goal in an attempt to intercept a centre from Parry. Virr placed the Blues further ahead in the second half, and though the town did quite their share of the attacking, there was no further score. Downs and Caddick were good backs for the home team, Weller the pick of the halves. Chadwick, despite his slowness in taking opportunities, was the best forward, being the only one really to extend Massey, Who kept a very good goal indeed. Reid was badly supported, while Huddersfield's best were Brown, Johnson, and Talck.

January 13, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Once a certain Lanarkshire Club is out of the Scottish ties, Everton are to have the services of one of their half-backs. A similar report is correct in regard to McDougall, the talented centre-forward of Airdrieonian, whose name is connected with Newcastle United. Everton also approached Scott, the centre-forward of Larkhill Thistle, a junior team.

January 15, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By F. M. N.
It is indeed strange how frequently the cup upsets all caluations with regard to form and class. The only explanation one can offer is that the excitement at the knock-out competition upset players and put their nerves on edge. Certainly Everton's forwards must have been affected by the importance of the occasion on Saturday, especially when it came to settling the issue near goal. Had Chadwick and his colleague taken their chances the Blues must have beaten Bradford at the first time of asking, but the team are to meet once more to decide which is enter the second round. Due credit must be given to Bradford for the fine fight they made against more skilful opponents, but as a combined force they were not to be compared with the home side who could do anything but score for the greater part of the game.

Time after time Everton worked the ball up but something usually went wrong with the final effort. Granted that the Evertonians were unfortunate in several of their efforts, the ball frequently flashing inches wide, they should have scored more than one goal. The great error of the day occurred in the first half, when Chedgzoy gave the ball to Chadwick three yards from goal. Ninety nine times out of a hundred he, would score from such a position, but the centre forward on this occasion in some unaccountable way, lifted the ball over the bar. Probably no one was more surprised and disappointed than Chadwick himself, when he found that what he intended to be a mere touch into the net lifted the leather into the air.

When Peel slipped Raitt in rather easy fashion on the half way line and went on to score a goal single handed, it seemed that Everton's luck was dead out. For the major portion of the game after the visitors' goal Everton were the aggressors.

Most people had given the game up for lost when the equaliser came. It was a thrilling moment. There were only about eight minutes to go when hart flashed the ball across the field. As usual there was a bunch of players in the goal area, but Chedgzoy caught the ball as it bounced and with a left hook shot he cleverly steered it into the net. Immediately there was an indescribable scene. The spectators went wild with delight, hats being thrown into the air regardless of what happened to them, and the cheering continued for several minutes. Everton played extremely well at the outset and victory only seemed to be a question of time. The forwards, however, did not finish well, and Chadwick was right of his game. On one occasion, however, the centre-forward was decidedly unfortunate, when with a terrific drive from a free kick he hit the post. Chadwick, like his colleagues, only needed the encouragement of a goal and Everton would probably have won by an ample margin. Peacock and Chedgzoy work very hard, and they were decidedly the more effective wing, and near the finish Peacock took the centre berth to try and force a goal. The halves were sounded, all three playing with fine judgement, and for the most part quite held their opponents. Raitt was uncertain at times and Livingstone was the better back, Harland did not have a great deal to do.

Bradford are a bustling side with a very sound defence. Scattergood retains much of his old skill, and Brandon and McCuggare are good defenders. Howie was the best of the half backs, and Peel and Thompson the extreme wingers, were the outstanding forwards. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Chadwick, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Bradford Park Avenue: - Scattergood, goal, Brandon, and McCuggare, backs, Fell, Howie, and Hubbert, half-backs, Thompson, McLean, Bradley, Turnbull, and Peel, forwards.

January 15, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Since the announcement was made that McBain, the Manchester United half-back, had been placed on the transfer list Everton along with other clubs, have made inquires as to what fee the United require. The figure quoted was so sustainable that quickly frightened possible buyers away, and as the present fee, at any rate, there is no likelihood of the player joining the Everton camp. Few, if any clubs are inclined to pay fancy prices nowadays, and the United may find a necessary to reduce considerably the original figure, If this is done, the Everton Club no doubt will complete with other clubs, but to stake, as one paper has done, that McBain is definitely joining Everton is absolutely incorrect.

January 15, 1923. The Evening Express
Blues Ready For Bradford Replay
If a team fails to take chances the gods give they cannot hope to make progress in the Cup competition. But at times, no matter how well a team plays in the open nothing will go right near goal so that luck, good or had, plays a prominent part in the national competition. Everton were certainly the better side on Saturday (writes Liver), but Bradford deserve every praise for the fine fight they made. Subjected to prolonged spells of pressure, the visitors backs and half backs stuck to their task gallantly, and very nearly succeeded in keeping out the Blues altogether. Everton undoubtedly gave their supporters a terrible fright, and it was only a few minutes from the end that Chedgzoy gave the desired relief. Whether the Evertonians will make amends on Wednesday remains to be seen, but on Saturday’s form the Blues should finish on the right side if they play their proper game.
A Sound Defence
The main feature of the Yorkshire team is the defence, Scattergood is still a most skillful custodian, and he has two good backs to protect him Brandon and McCluggage. Howie is a most serviceable half-back, and he certainly did much to upset the Everton line. I am told that the Bradford forwards did not play their usual style of game, trying to emulate Everton instead of swinging the ball about. It was only on occasions they impressed, though Peel and Thompson were most enterprising wingers. Raitt found in Peel a most elusive opponent, and the full back must pay more attention o this player on Wednesday. Peel scored a goal single-handled and the same player nearly sealed Everton’s rate with a similar effort in the second half. He defeated Raitt as he had done before, but this time Harland saved his shot. Had Peel placed the ball in the centre where the other forwards were waiting, Everton would not have another chance.
Blues out of Luck
Everton, I must admit had absolutely no luck with their shots, and several times the ball was placed outside when it should have been propelled into the net. The Blues front line did not maintain the tactics with which they started the game, and the play was not sufficiently distributed. The most was not made of the left wing. Peacock and Chedgzoy were in capital trim, and Williams and Harrison did well at times, but were a trifle off the mark in their shooting. Chadwick tried hard and he received some nasty knocks but it seemed that the occasion was too much for him. Had he scored when the great chance came Everton would have won by half a dozen goals. The halves played their parts well, all three doing good work, and Livingstone was the better back, Raitt being rather uncertain in his tackling Harland was not seriously troubled but Peel’s shot beat him all right. All arrangements are complete for the replay on Wednesday. Everton intend to take the players for a walk in the West Kirby district tomorrow, and the men travel to Bradford by the 9.40 train on Wednesday morning.
A special excursion train will leave Exchange Station at 11 o’clock for Bradford, returning at 6.10. Return fare 8s 9d.

January 18, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton have finished with the F.A. Cup, and it took Bradford eight-nine minutes to put “paid” to their account. The goal which sealed Everton's fate was a dramatic one, coming as it did when everyone had settled down for an extra half-hour's play. Everton were unfortunate as regards injuries, not through intent, but due to the robust way the Bradford players threw themselves into the fray. The ordering off of Hart was a regrettable incident, and it had the effect of disorganising the Everton side. Mclean, when tackling the Everton captain, seemed to pay him special attention. Hart resented this and he retaliated. The incident came under the eye of Mr. L. Baker, of Crewe, who, without a moment's hesitation, ordered Hart to the dressing room, despite the many protests of a number of the Everton players. So disorganised was the Everton side that it was hard to follow the players about. First Chedgzoy would be in the centre, then outside left, and later helping Peacock –who had a spell amongst the halves –on the right, Brown and then Fleetwood, were both injured.

There were only two real shots in the whole match, and one scored, but they were left until late in the game. Peacock obtained an opening a moment prior to Bradford's goal, and drove hard for goal, only for Scattergood to make a capital save. From that point Bradford put on pressure in a last desperate effort to snatch a victory. McLean rounded Livingstone, and with a great drive beat Harland. The flight of the ball could be easily followed, and the ball was going away from the Everton goalkeeper the whole time to enter the far side of the net. Bradford played a much better game than at Goodison Park. There was more purpose in their play out the secret of the victory was the excellent half-back play. Fell was great in the centre where he was responsible for the breaking up of all Everton's efforts. Irvine was overshadowed by his towering form. Taylor and Hubbert were also on top of their form, and unlike Saturday, they were not all for defence. They pile wings with the right type of passes, and Peel Howie and Thompson until the latter was injured, provided Livingstone and Raitt with plenty of work. The full backs McCluggage and Brandon kicked with power and accuracy, and covered up Scattergood to such good effect that he was rarely troubled.

Everton put up a determined fight right to the finish, but the odds were too heavy against them with Hart's absence and Brown limping. Chedgzoy did the work of two men in the forward line, and was always a danger when in possession. He seemed the one man who might have won the match. Irvine was outweighed, while Williams was so well watched by Taylor and Brandon that he never got a chance. One thing he did well; Howie was working his way to goal, and it looked any odds on him scoring, but Williams placed his body in the line of fire, and Harland was not called upon. Peacock, who had slightly strained his back, wheeled here, there, and everywhere, but at last had to give way to numbers. Fleetwood, amongst the halves, excelled. He broke attack after attack, and tried all he knew to get his forwards moving. Raitt and Livingstone played a great game, and it was hard luck for them, after keeping the Bradford forwards at bay almost to the end, to be on the losing side. Harland had an easy time, but was responsible for one mistake, which might have settled the issue earlier. Howie had taken a free kick, which dropped into Harland's arms. The Irishman lost possession, and Howie directed the ball goalwards, when Raitt dashed across the goalmouth and edged it round the post. It was not Everton's day, but it would be unfair to take any of the credit from the Bradford eleven, who won by pluck and determination. Teams : - Bradford Park Avenue: - Scattergood, goal, Brandon, and McCluggan, backs, Taylor, Fell, and Hubbert, half-backs, Thompson, McLean, Bradley, Howie, and Pell, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, goal, Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Irvine, Williams, and Reid, forwards.

January 20, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton yesterday secured the transfer of Jack G. Cock, Chelsea Intonation centre forward, who was formerly associated with Huddersfield Town and Brantford. Cock who stands 5ft 11ins and weights 12 stone, played for England against both Scotland and Ireland in season 1920-21 and also in the victory International against Wales in 1920. Chelsea secured Cock from Huddersfield in November 1919, at a transfer fee of nearly £3,000 and he has played many fine games for the pensioner. He will make his debut for Everton against Stoke at Goodison today…Everton also transfer George Jones, outside right to Wigan Borough.

Sunday Post - Sunday 21 January 1923
Last night Alec Troup, Dundee’s International outside left, was transferred to Everton. Mr Tom MTntosh, the Everton manager, and Mr W. C. Cuff, a Director of the club, were at the match at Dens Park yesterday afternoon, and in the evening negotiations were completed with the Dundee Directors, and Troup becomes an Everton player.  Mr Willie MTntosh, of the Dundee Club, was the man who captured Troup in rather unique manner when the little fellow was with Forfar Athletic, and has taken a deep interest in him while he has been Dundee player, conducted the negations on behalf the Dens Park club. Troup has been a great player for Dundee. He has been at Dens Park for round about ten years, and, coming there as a mere youth, he is still in his football prime.

Dundee Courier - Monday 22 January 1923
Great Favourite With Dundee Crowd announcement made exclusively in the " Sunday Post yesterday that Alec Troup, Dundee's clever outside left, has been transferred to Everton created the keenest interest amongst football followers not only in Dundee but all over Forfarshire. It is not beside the mark to say that the announcement was received with feelings of regret by very many of the club's supporters, to whom " Troupie" has been something of an idol, but it has been fairly common knowledge for some time that he would not be averse to a change, and the Dundee officials had no desire to stand between Troup and a step which he regarded as in his own interest.
Keen to Get Him.—
Everton has furnished him with the opportunity to gratity his wish. Mr W. C. Cuff, director, and Mr Tom M'lntosh, manager of the Merseyside Club, were present at Dens Park on Saturday afternoon for the specific purpose of " looking at" Troup. The little Forfarian had no knowledge of their presence. It was a big surprise to him when at the close of the game was called upon to enter into the negotiations regarding his football destiny, but the Everton talentspotters were keen to get him after his brilliant display, and Troup, like Barkis, was " willin'," with the result that the transfer was quickly completed. The financial figure involved in the deal has not been disclosed, but Troup, it learned, will pocket a four-figure sum— about £1100.
A Gift.—
Alec Troup will take with him to England sincerest good wishes of a host friends. Forfar has produced many clever exponents of the national game, and Troup is outstanding amongst, them. Like all great footballers, never learned the game—it was gift. When a mere toddler he could dribble round the " big lads " at his doorstep in Forfar with a skill which could not fail to be noticed. was a very young " junior " when played for Forfar North End, and seniors go he was something of a curiosity so far age was concerned when he donned the colours of Forfar Athletic. He was fact juvenile, iunior, and senior all in one season. One of Troups greatest games for the Athletic was in Scottish Cup-tie against Celtic Station Park,  surprised everybody that occasion by his skill as an inside left, and thenceforth his reputation was so firmly established that clubs of greater resource than Forfar Athletic  a desire to come to terms with the little fair-haired "loon." His brother David played for the Athletic as an inside forward for several seasons. Signed by Dundee.—
Alec was a plasterer trade,  was bulily engaged at his daily occupation one fine day in 1915 when Mr William M'lntosh, of Dundee F.C., sauntered into the county town and succeeded inducing Troup to change his football headquarters.  He played his first game for Dundee against Rangers at Dens Park. His connection with Dundee was subsequently interrupted by military service with the Royal Engineers, but while stationed the coast of Scotland he played on several occasions for Ayr United. After demobilisation Troup took up the outside left position in the Dundee team, and recent years the Dundee club has not had more consistent player than he. He has had his off days like every other body, but, generally speaking, his service to Dundee has been invaluable, and he as always a " draw " Avhen Dundee were playing away from home. His Caps.—Troup has been capped against England, Wales, and Ireland, and has appeared in inter-League games for Scotland against these countries. He got his English caps in 1920 in consequence of Alan Morton's inability to owing to injury. Troup's briiliant exhibition at Sheffield Avas the feature of the match. Troup leaves Forfar for Liverpool on Thursday morning. He is immensely pleased at the fact that he will be joining another great favourite of the Dens Park crowd, Davie Raitt, who is playing brilliantly right back for Everton. With Troup and Cock in their front line Everton's attack will take some stopping.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Monday 22 January 1923
To the Editor of the Telegraph and Post. Sir, —Allow me, as a follower of Dundee F.C., to state my views, which, I am sure, are shared many others, on the transfer of Alec Troup. Only those who have noted Dundee's deals in the past can have received the news of Troup's transfer without amazement. We are told that Troup wanted to leave Dundee —the usual story, but it is difficult to believe that he could not have been persuaded to wait until the team had finished with the Cup ties. Perhaps the club could not afford to wait. That seems the only explanation. If so, why can't the Directorate show their hand ? Other clubs tell their supporters what's what, but the men who pay up their " bobs " at Dens Park are left wonder what is taking place behind the scenes. The clumsiness of Dundee's moves in connection with the Troup deal must now the laughing-stock of football Scotland. The winger was left out of the team in their last two away matches and included in it in the last three home games. Was he being " exhibited under the most favourable conditions? Money talks at Dens Park, but not the way supporters of the club have a right to expect. Every doggie has his day, however, and let us hope trio time ie not far distant when wo shall have first-class fare across tho way at Tannadice Park and a management that will make the construction of a tip-top team their ideal in preference to the transferring part of the business. am, &c.,

January 22, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton gained their biggest win of the season against Stoke at Goodison Park, on Saturday. The game, however, was not a good one, and much of the play was of poor quality. Stoke offered weak resistance, and on Saturday's form their position near the foot of the League table is easily understandable. Everton's superiority was never seriously disputed. Much interest centred in the appearance of Cock, transferred by Chelsea on Friday, and he signalised his leadership of the line by scoring one of the four goals by which Everton won. Downs after a lengthily absence, returned to the Everton defence, and gave a capital display. He played with all his all-time dash and determination, and was, in fact, quite equal except in the matter of speed to Raitt, who was very sound. The half-backs held the Stoke forwards with a fair amount of ease, and all played well; Cock without doing anything brilliant was quite satisfactory. He frequently used his head effectively, and his experience in knowing where the place himself for a pass was of considerable help to the inside forwards. He made one splendid solo run in the second half, and instead of doing the obvious, shooting for goal, he placed the ball perfectly in the right wing. The opening, however, was lost through Chedgzoy not having kept his place. Once an understanding is established between Cock and his colleagues such movements should lead to goals. Chedgzoy was not consistent, as he wasted many chances, and Harrison, too, was variable, but Peacock and Williams were helpful. Harland kept a good goal, but Brookes, the Stoke goalkeeper, was uncertain. The Stoke backs were sound, and of the half-backs Rouse was easily the best. The forwards were very poor. T. Broad did some good things, but he got little support, for many chances were missed.

Everton set up a strong attack at the outset, and Cock's maneuvering almost brought an early goal. Right, centred at a nice pace, and the ball went to the goal off a Stoke defender, Brookes being very lucky to fist away. Peacock was strong on the target, and Brooks cleared a hard drive. Then followed severe attacks by the Stoke forwards, but there was little sting in the finishing movements. Downs, however, made a fine save when he got in front of the Stoke centre just as he was about to shoot. The Stoke goal a narrow escape when Peacock sent inches wide, and then the sane player opened the scoring with a long range shot at thirty-eight minutes. Two minutes later Williams added a second, but much of the credit for the goal belonged to Harrison, who sent the ball to goal with tremendous force. William's part consisted of shooting out his foot, and he was fortunate enough to meet the ball, and it cannoned into the net. In the first minute following the interval Cock scored a third goal, and again Harrison started the movement. The centre was missed by Williams, and the ball travelled on over the foot of one of the Stoke defenders to cock, whose task was easy. Watkins failed with an open goal when he glided the ball wide, and Brookes dropped a long drive by Chedgzoy. Harland's must difficult task was caused through falling to his knees too soon when Nicholas shot, but he managed to scoop the call away before any damage was done. At sixty-seven minutes Williams scored Everton's fourth goal from close in, and Downs headed out in his most spectacular style a hard drive by Rouse. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, Downs, and Raitt, backs Fleetwood, Hart (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy Peacock, Cock, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Stoke City: - Brookes goal, McGrory, and Howe, backs, Clarke, Kasher, and Rouse, half-backs, T. broad, Watkins, J. Broad, Nicholas, and Tempest, forwards.

January 22, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton won more easily at the Victoria ground than the score of a goal to nothing would suggest. The visiting forwards in the first half practically monopolished the attack, and a very little more steadiness on the part of the inside trio might have resulted in more goals. The only goal of the game was scored by Irvine after thirty-one minutes' play, the inside right beating R.H.Dixon, Stoke's new goalkeeper from West Stanley, with a fast shot from short range. The game in the second half was rather more even but there was one period when Dixon showed Stoke that they have secured a useful goalkeeper by saving a fierce short-range shot from Chadwick, Virr, and Irvine. The Everton defence rarely faltered under the Stoke pressure, both Caddick and Livingstone being resourceful and kicking with good direction. The half-backs were a level line, and they gave adequate support to the forwards, who did not always finish their work well.

January 22, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
After the match between Dundee United and the Hearts of Midlothian on Saturday Mr. Andrew Coffey, chairman of the Everton football club and Tom MacIntosh, secretary signed on Alexander Troup the Scottish International outside-left. Troup has been with Dundee for the last few seasons, and he has presented his country on more than one occasion. He is 26 year of age and it is expected that he will prove a great acquisition to the Everton.

January 22, 1923. The Evening Express
Troup Joins Blues
The Everton directors are evidently determined to make headway, and the enterprise shown in recent days will, I feel sure, result in the club taking a place in the League more in keeping with the traditions of the Goodison organization. Following the signing of Jack Cock, who, by the way made an excellent debut on Saturday comes the news that Everton have secured Alexander Troup, the noted Scottish outside left, who has run Alan Morton close for the “premiership” so far as the extreme wing position is concerned. Troup is as tricky as they make them, and plays consistently well week by week out, so that the Blues forward line is likely to be strengthened considerably. Troup is about 26 years of age and is small but stocily built, but is undoubtedly one of the cleverest wingers of the day. Standing 5 feet 5 inches he weighs 10st 4lb. This said that Troup has been itching for a change for some time. He has played for Dundee for several seasons, and figured in the Scotland v. England match in 1920 in the Scotland v. Wales encounter in 1921, in the Scotland v. Ireland game in the same year, and last year again against Ireland. Dundee is the club from which Everton secured Raitt. They are at present runners up to Glasgow Rangers, the leaders of the Scottish League and must be a particularly strong combination to be able to part with Troup at this juncture. Troup started playing when he was but a youth, and as a matter of fact was only 17 when conscription was enforced, to that there is no “camouflage” about his age.
Still They Come
That Everton were likely to secure further additions to the staff was indicated in the Football Express on Saturday, and I understand (writes Liver) that there are still further signings expected. News on another page may confirm this view later in the day. If victories such as that achieved on Saturday are to follow, then Everton will be on the high road to success. The match against Stoke proved a highly interesting one, if it was only for the fact that Everton line moved more smoothly than at any other period this season. The introduction of the ex-Chelsea forward provided the necessary balance to the line and all things considered it must be said that Cock made a highly promising debut. He kept the ball low, led the line with rare judgment and tact, and his passes to the men on either side were very fine indeed. Obviously Cock was not trained to the minute, and he has been out of touch with First League football for a time, so that some allowance must be made. When he settles down he will I feel sure, form a great acquisition. His experience should prove of immense worth to the club. Stoke of course, are somewhat lacking, and it would not be right to place too much reliance on the form, but at the same time the Pottery men contested the issue strongly, and only their fallings in front of goal prevented them running the Blues close. It was Everton’s most substantial victory of the season, and I hope it is a good omen for the future. The whole side played with skill, vigour and enterprise, forwards and halves combining most effectively. Incidentally the home half-backs line was given correctly in the Football Express.
Dicky Downs
Tom Fleetwood was inclined to get into his old position, but a man, who can be relied on to play anywhere is a valuable man to have on the staff. Hart and Grenyer played there respective roles with ability and judgment, and further in the rear Dicky Downs demonstrated that he is by no means a spent force. Down attempts –and succeeds –to do things which no other player tries to do, and his heading dive at the ball is one of his feats for which is famous. He created unbounded delight by bringing off one of these movements on Saturday. The amazed look on Downs when he turned to find out “where that one went to” created roars of laughter. The ex-Barnsley man is undoubtedly still good enough for First League football. George Harrison showed a glimpse of his old form, and Peacock, Williams and Chedgzoy were also in the picture.

January 23, 1923. The Evening Express
In view of the fact that Everton's new formation is to have another trial at Stoke considerable interest is centred in the return game in the Potteries. Troup, the new man from Dundee, arrived in Liverpool last night, and he is fit and ready for the fray. Naturally Troup has had no time to look round yet, but he thinks he will like the change very much indeed. He was greatly impressed with the ground at Goodison Park, and as he is acquainted with several of the players, notably David Raitt and Hunter Hart, Troup already feels at home. Fully aware that there is a difference between the English and Scottish style of play, Troup feels that when he settles down to the style of his new colleagues he will give satisfaction. Only in International games has he had an opportunity of crossing boots wit am English side. In view of Stoke's extraordinary performance at Blackburn the match tomorrow is of a rather open character. Ralphs, the man who played so well at Ewood, displaces Broad, who filled the wing berth at Goodison this being the only change. The teams will therefore be; - Everton; Harland; Raitt, Downs; Fleetwood, Hart, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Peacock, Cock, Williams, Troup. Stoke; Brookes; Howe, McGrery; Rouse, Kasher, Clarke; Templett, Nicholas, J. Broad, Watkin, Ralphs.

Everton “A”
Everton “A” meet Grayson's Gartson at Clubmoor tomorrow; kick-off at 2.45. This is an important match and some capital play is assured. The Everton team will be chosen from; Kemp; Spicer, Helsby, Smith, Connah, Boness, MCGrea, Smith (E.), Young, Green, Houghton, Rimmer, Gables, Virr.
Everton “A” require a match away for February 3 rd .

January 23, 1923. The Evening Express
A Chester Recruit
Following the excitement occasioned by recent big transfers there are two items of a more tranquil character to record in the Everton camp. The clever reserve forward McGivney, who has accomplished some good work for the “A” and Central League team has been transferred to Chester. The player through on the small side is very skilful and wholehearted and he is likely to do well at Chester.
Wright of Earle Joins Everton
On the other side of the ledger that smart Zingari team, Earle have parted with Wright, their centre half-back to Everton. A player of great promise, Wright is expected to make his mark with the club.

January 23, 1923. The Evening Express
McBain Joins The Goodison Camp
It would appear that Everton decided on a team-building scheme some time ago, and now the directors’ plans have been brought into the limelight. It is obvious that these enterprises cannot be carried out on the cheap and in signing Cock, Troup, and McBain in rapid succession the coffers of the club no doubt have been depleted to the extent, even at a modest computation of over £10,000. But if the players named prove successful the money will have been well spent. Recent signings create a record in the club’s history. Readers of the Express were given the wire as to the possibility of McBain joining the Blues, and therefore the news did not come as a surprise this morning. But the negotiations were of a protracted nature and it was not until last night that all parties were satisfied. McBain will find at Goodison Park several Scots and I am sure he will feel quite at ease right away. As the new man is at home anywhere in the half-back line, and at a pinch can go forward he is likely to prove a great acquisition, but he will no-doubt prefer to stick to one position. The fact that he was moved about from pillar to post at Old Trafford was the cause of his leaving that club.
Everton Win Through
For some time, of course, the Scot has been in the public eye owing to the fact that he asked to be put on the transfer list as he was not at home with the United and that, so it was alleged, he had some differences with his colleagues. At any rate he was not happy. Hence the change. It is no secret that several clubs were in the running, but Everton was favoured by the player. Mr. Tom McIntosh is to be congratulated on the successful completion of his “angling” expeditions, for the new man is undoubtedly a fine player. It will be remembered that the Scot played against England at Villa Park, Birmingham last April and with his old club he showed consistently good football until recently, when he was not allowed to settle down, but was moved from one position to another with unsettling tendencies. A fine stamp of player, McBain came from Ary United to Old Trafford last season, and at once created a favourable impression. The new man is not very well just now, and he will not be available for his new club next Saturday. In the course of an interview with a Press representative, a Manchester United official said;- We asked for £5,000 for McBain, and although we did not get quite this amount our club has lost nothing on the transaction. We are sorry indeed to lose this brilliant Scottish footballer.” “In the player’s own interest, we should not have been acting fairly if we had not fallen in with his wishes. “ The United paid £4,500 for the Scot. By the way a Manchester correspondent
suggests the possibility of George Harrison joining the United.

January 23, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In securing the transfer of three international players in four days. Everton must have established something like a record in this respect, yesterday the directors completed the transfer of Neil McBain the Scottish International half-back, whom Manchester United secured from Ayr united last year. At a cost of £4.500. McBain who played left-half for Scotland last season against England at Birmingham was placed on the transfer list at his own request, and more than a dozen clubs have been anxious to secure his services, when Barton joined the team from Aston Villa, McBain yielded to him the centre-half position and the captaincy and afterwards played with success both at half-back and forward Everton secured Cock the Chelsea centre on Friday, and Alexander Troup the Scottish International outside left, from Dundee on Saturday .

Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 23 January 1923
Directors of the Club Monday visited Old Trafford with view to the transfer to the Merseyside club Neil M'Bain, the famous Manchester United player, and, after protracted negotiations, the deal was effected. M'Bain's transfer from Ayr United last season cost the United £4,500, the biggest sum they had up to that time paid for player. Until the recent trouble arose he has rendered yeoman service as half-back and forward. M'Bain played for Scotland against England last season, and in all probability will do so again, for there are few better half-backs playing. When Barson came to Manchester United M Bain relinquished the captaincy to him, and for several matches played at left half. At the request of the directors, he agreed to play in the forwards for a time, but expressed a desire to return to the half-back line soon as possible. Last week was rumoured that M'Bain would go Manchester City, but this proved incorrect. Since then several leading -clubs had been in negotiation for the transfer M'Bain, M'Bain's transfer makes Everton's third big capture of the season, Cock, of Chelsea, and Troup, Dundee, being the other two.

Dundee Courier - Tuesday 23 January 1923
By Our Correspondent. I am looking forward to playing for Everton on Saturday," said Alec Troup to me yesterday, " although I have not been told if I am to turn out at Goodison Park or not. But will know when I reach Liverpool on Thursday evening, and no doubt you'll hear about it before Saturday," added Alec with a smile. " I'm sorry in a way to leave Den*," continued the Internationalist. " I have made lot of friends, and then I'll be leaving my fellow-townsmen, Dave M'Lean and Dave Nicoll. I have been anxious for change, and Everton are treating me well. "It not as if I going: amongst strangers. Davie Raitt, Livingstone, and the other Scotsmen there are all known to me, and now that Jack Cock is leading the attack I think the English Leaguers should do well. Jack, of course, a bit of a music-hall artfct, and although I've never met him, I hear he is a great lad, and I'm looking forward to hear him sing." Alec said with a laugh, he is no mean tenor himself, although, like many others, he prefers to play the part of listener. Troup being inundated with good wishes from his many friends in Forfar, who are looking forward to seeing him again the close season.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 24 January 1923
To the Editor of the Telegraph and Post. Sir,—What a sensation! When I opened my " Sunday Post" yesterday and saw Transfer of Famous Scottish Forward," little did I think it referred to " Troupie," the idol of Dens Park. I could hardly believe my eyes. What can I make of it—at a time like this, too, with our team well in the running for the Cup? The Directors can't plead financial difficulties. The Directors must understand its not them, but the habitues of Dens Park, who are the upkeep of the team, and the sooner they (the Directors) do the better.—l am, &c., A. F. T. S.
Sir, —Like great many more followers of football, I was amazed when I read of Alec .'"roup's transfer to Everton F.C. 'The Dundee F.C. Directors ought to be ashamed for allowing their best players to go. They jet away Davie Raitt, one of tho best right backs that ever kicked a ball on Dens Park. Wow they are allowing Alec Troup, one best left wingers, follow in his footsteps. Why are they transferring players ot such calibre? If the club had not been getting big gates there might have;been some excuse, but here we have team that cap draw the biggest gates, second to none in Scotland, even in these times of depression, they realise on an average 15,000 in the home matches. If they would lay down money they get for these players and provide good substitutes we might have some sympathy for them. But do they? No, A deputation goes off to look for talent, and the announcement comes, " Great Capture by the Dundee F.C." The "captures"; have not turned out to be " stars." ;  What is wanted in Dundee is another First Division, League team. Dundee can easily support two First Division teams. It only requires some of our thorough sporting gentlemen take the matter up.—l am, &c Jan. 24, 1923. Play the Game.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 24 January 1923
It is understood that the transfer fee paid Everton to Manchester United for M'Bain was £4200. Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea were at the final negotiations, and are said to have offered £4000. When M'Bain was first placed on the transfer list the fee required waa the vicinity of £4600. It is surprising that Everton persist spending huge sums for players when many of their " big money captures have failed to justify the expenditure. Such players as Brewster, Downs, Fazackerly, Hart, Raitt, Forbes, Davies, and Crossley have cost Everton thousands of pounds, and they have had little return for their outlay. They have now seven international players, Cock, Harrison, Chedzoy, and Downs having played for England, Holland and Irvine for Ireland, and Troup for Scotland.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 27 January 1923
Jack Cock went to Everton because as he says himself, "he was unhappy at Stamford Bridge."  Jack ought not to have been unhappy, for he has always been an idol with the Stamford Brdge habitues, and even through his period of lean success he has always had a sympathetic cheer given him.  Cock still wishes to take to stage life, and is edeavouring to come to terms with Everton in this matter.  He wants permission for time off to "play the halls." 

January 27, 1923. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton have just startled the football world by going to Stamford Bridge and securing the transfer of one John Gilbert Cock, who, for three seasons, has been perhaps the most-talked of Chelsea player. Rightly has Cock secured this notoriety for in each of those three seasons he has been the club's top scorer with 17 goals (1919-20), 12 (1920-21), and 13 (1921-22) to his credit. The campaign Cock had soared but one goal in eleven League games for the “Pensioners” a rate of progress which caused him to be left out of the League side, a position of affairs which made such a men as Cock discontented. That briefly is how he came to be transferred to the rich Goodison Park club for which he scored a goal last Saturday and incidentally led the attack to gets its most decisive victory of the present campaign. Jack Cock is a native of Hayte Pensence and he is the eldest of three brothers who have made their mark in football. Jack is the most distinguished of the three. As a schoolboy football always had a fascination for him and I believe I am right in saying that when he left school, though put to other work and intended for a different career, Cock had set his heart on becoming a professional player. He got his chance much sooner than he expected, for a lynx-eyed Yorkshireman from Huddersfield saw him playing one day in a very junior football and straight away induced him to sign for Huddersfield Town. Cock my with almost instantaneous success, but the war cut short his meteoric rise to fame, for he joined the colours and found himself stationed at Aldershot. He was soon out in France, and almost as soon his name appeared in the casualty list amongst those who had given their lives for King and County. Jack Cock, however, had the satisfaction of reading his own death notice shortly afterwards returned to Aldershot once more to become a staff-sergeant-major. It was then that he assisted Brentford in the war-time London Combination games, and it was at this period that Cock was probably at his best. I may be negative in this assertion; none the less I have never seen Cock play better football than he did in those days unless it be the occasion of the never-to-be-forgotten international at Hillsborough against Scotland, when he led the English attack. That was a red-letter day for Cock just as it was for England. After the war he returned to Huddersfield club, but in the first season of the resumption of the League football he was transferred to Chelsea for something like £3,000. Cock has been twice capped by England and scored in each game. Cock is a striking figure on the field. He is all, well-built with the figure of an athletic. Moreover he takes a pride in his appearance and his black hair is always brushed well back from his prominent forehead. Today he does not play with the same snap and vitality as of old, and were I to tell the truth, this would probably be found due to the fact that he hasn't taken his football and this training too seriously of late. He had an idea of entering upon a stage career, and then thought better of it. A temperamental fellow, Jack can rise to dizzy heights of excellence and when at his best can hold his own with any centre forward for he is a stylist knows how to feed both wings, to dribble down the centre, and to shoot hard and straight. But he has his off days like every other player. Everton have certainly purchased a celebrated and notable figure in the football world, but whether he will ever be the John Gilbert Cock of his Brentford and early Chelsea days –a dashing go-ahead enterprising pivot with a raking shot in either foot and a real brain guiding his twinkling toes – remains to be seen. Tis said, “A change is as good as a rest.” W.L.U

Sunday Post - Sunday 28 January 1923
An exclusive message to The Sunday Post about Troup's play for Everton v. Stoke yesterday runs - Troup was not given a fair share of the ball. He was starved often, and when most favourably placed. On the odd occasion when did get the ball he was the only Everton forward who gave serious trouble to the Stoke goalkeeper. Two of his drives were terrific. On the whole, Troup came through the game successfully, but must be better supported and get more of the ball. He said to our representative at the close of the game— I think I’ll be very happy with Everton. There is big difference between English and Scottish football. Here it is all dash and go straight for goal. I’ll tumble to it right enough.’

January 29, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The Evertonians gave a very disappointing display at Stoke on Saturday, and people are beginning to wonder what is wrong with the team. It is true that they caught the Pottery side in exceptionally fine form, but this does not account for so crushing a defeat. The home eleven showed a combination and “nippiness” on the ball that was painfully lacking in their opponents, and though Stoke were only on level terms at the interval their general style indicated that much might happen in the second period of the game. Such proved to be the case, for they developed the campaign with quite masterly coordination, and they kept the visitors' defence busy for almost the whole of the second period. There were of course, occasional breaks away on the part of the Everton forwards. The rigth wing was especially busy, but it rather looked as though Troup Everton's new Scottish international acquisition was starved. This was rather a pity because in the few chances that the clever little winger did get he displayed extraordinary speed and a skilful command over the ball. It was the opinion of many present that had to received more attention the adverse balance against Everton might not have been so great. For once in a way the half back line scarcely did itself full justice. Mistakes, too, were made by both backs, while Harland in goal was scarcely so reliable as he generally is. It is only fair to point out that two of the goals gained against the Evertonians were open to a certain amount of doubt, though the referee was confident enough. But, in any case-Stoke fully deserved a victory, which commanded the admiration of the 25,000 spectators present.

There was little to choose in the choice of ends when Stoke started with just a suggestion of a breeze behind them. They were the first to attack, and immediately showed their intention of reversing their defeat of a week ago. The first step in this direction came when Watkin netted after a tremendous struggle in the goalmouth. The visitors to their credit be it said, played up with considerable spirit, and Chedgzoy got in a number of characteristic centres, which were lost mainly owing to the fact that Cock invariably seemed to be just too late to turn them to account. Twice Troup was given the ball, and he hot away along the wing in fine style, only to lose it at the finish. Further pressure on the part of Stoke severely taxed the visitors, but their spirits revived considerably when Peacock, from a pass by his partner, scored an equalising goal. The second half was one series of successes for the home team. After rather less than ten minutes going Watkin headed the ball into the net with fine judgement, and a minute later Nicholas assisted by Tempest, put on a third. The Evertonians steadying themselves tried desperately hard to make up their deficit, but they were consistency well held by the home defence, and two minutes from the finish Stoke emphasised their victory with a fourth goal. This came from the foot of Broad, who shot strongly, and Raitt trying to assist the goalkeeper, allowed the ball to glance off his leg into the net.

Great interest naturally centred in the first appearance of Troup, and it may at once be said that he created a distinctly favourable impression. But, as already mentioned, he was not permitted the fullest opportunities of showing his capabilities. Both Williams and Peacock were very clever, with Chedgzoy a brilliant outside right. It appeared to many that Everton's main weakness lay in the half-back line, though there were times when hart and his colleagues did good work. Downs kicked cleanly and well, though both he and Raitt were occasionally caught napping and Harland was below concert pitch. Teams ; - Stoke City: - Brooks, goal, McGrory, and Howe, backs, Clarke, Kasher, and Rouse, half-backs, Ralphs, Watkins, J. Broad, Nicholas, and Tempest forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Downs, backs, Fleetwood, Hart (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Cock, Williams, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Johnson.

January 29, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Stoke, at Goodison Park, had an equal share of a scrappy game. The Everton team included Forbes, and Alford, who have been absent through injury for several weeks, and the home side were fortunate to share the points. During the early stages Everton held the balance of play, and had plenty of chances to score, chiefly through good wing play by Parry and Alford, but the inside forwards finished badly, and at half-time neither side had scored. The game had only restarted a few minutes when Stoke took the lead through Groves, owing to a misunderstanding between Fern and Livingstone. Everton then put on pressure, but their shooting lacked direction. Chadwick, however, equalised from a penalty, which was followed with a second goal from Miller, who was allowed to proceed whilst the Stoke players were appealing for hands. Just on time Jeffs gave a penalty, and Staley made the scorers equal.

Dundee Courier - Tuesday 30 January 1923
Referring to Alex. Troup's play for Everton against Stoke, an English critic writes: —" There could be no doubting the of Troup when he was on the move. He did not run along the wing and lift the ball into the centre heedless of his colleagues' positions, but he placed the ball well, and also made use of a delicious inward pass as deceptive it was neatly done. It was Troup who gave most anxiety to Brookes and his backs,"

January 31, 1923. The Evening Express
It would seem that Everton are taking the opportunity in their friendly game with Stockport on Saturday of trying out players in new positions with a view to taking a line for more serious work. Peacock, for instance is being tried as inside left to Troup to enable Irvine to partner Chedgzoy. McBain is due to turn out for the first time in an Everton jersey and young Jeffs, of Bootle Albion, who has been playing capital football for the reserves is to have a trial at right half-back. Stockport will find in this Everton team quite an attractive combination. The full side is;- Harland; Raitt, Downs; Jeffs, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Irivine, Cock, Peacock, Troup.

January 31,1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The management of the Centre League yesterday choose Grenyer to Captain the Centre League to play North Eastern League at St Jame's Park, Newcastle on Saturday next.










January 1923