Everton Independent Research Data


January 3, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Liverpool’s Guests
Ranger’s Notes.
Though the Liverpool team these days includes half a dozen players who were “A” teamers when the war broke out, it is none the less effective for that. Lambert, Liddell, paisley and company have matured quickly through the many opportunities for senior games that have come their way, and compare favourably with the seniors who held their places in happier days. Bar Matt Busby, of course. There is and only will be one Busby, yet in some ways, chiefly through his forward inclination of the body and outstretched arms, Lambert brings to mind the “maestro” whenever I see him. He has played some grand games this season too, and though it would be an exaggeration to put him on a Busby pinnacle, he may reach it someday.
Teasdale In Goal.
At the moment I reckon his best position is full back, where he will probably figure tomorrow in goal. Liverpool have borrowed the amateur W.R. Teasdale, from Tranmere, if Teasdale plays as well for as he did against them, at Prenton a month or so ago, there will be no regrets. Liverpool have also borrowed two other Tranmere players in Hodgson and Owen, the latter of whom played such a grand game them last week. With none exception-Arthur at outside right –Everton will field their full championship side. Sagar is available again and Mercer and Lawton have recovered from recent injuries. Stevenson has joined the R.A.F this week, but has phoned the club to say he will be available tomorrow. Liverpool: - (from); W.R. Teasdale; Lambert, Stuart, Jackson, Owen, Paisley, Turner, Spicer, R. Hodgson, Liddell, Nieuwenhuys, Carney, and Polk. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
Everton “A” are home to Liverpool “A” in a Liverpool County Combination game (3. p.m) and includes a new amateur goalkeeper in J. Linn, who was formerly captain of Lancing Colleage Team;- Everton “A” Linn; Ireland, Lambert; Hill, Finnis, Atkins; Wyles, Simmons, Williams, Lyon, Bailey.

January 4, 1941. The Evening Express
Blues Have Early Escapes in Thrilling “Derby.”
Liverpool opposed Everton, the holders, in the first round of the Lancashire Senior Cup, at Anfield today. Both teams, although making alterations had strong sides. Liverpool:- Teasdale, goal; Stuart and Owen, backs; Lambert, Turner and Spicer, backs; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Fagan, Polk and Liddell, forwards. Everton:- Sagar (captain) , goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, T.G. Jones and Watson, half-backs; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyon, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Williams (Bolton). From the kick-off Liverpool gained a corner, but it came to nothing, and Everton mad progress with a free kick, but the chance went begging when Boyes failed to turn in a shot, the ball running over the “dead” line. Everton were again on the attack through a long kick by Cook, but the raid was driven back by Lambert. Boyes sent in a neat pass to Lyon, but Stuart nipped in to rob him of his shot. Everton maintained the pressure and the first shot of the game came from Lyon after good work by Jones, but it went wide of the post. Liverpool replied through Fagan, who sent in a well directed, long shot which Jones headed away.
Everton’s Escape.
Fagan receiving the bail in midfield, sent out a grand pass to Liddell and the Liverpool winger sent in a grand shot which Sagar stopped but failed to hold. The goalkeeper, however, just managed to recover and clear. This was the first thrill for the 3,000 odd spectators and a narrow escape for Everton. The Liverpool forwards were in lively mood, and at this stage were showing good understanding. Mercer heralded his return to the side with a grand dash down the centre, but offside spoiled the movement. Mercer repeated the performance, and this time it ended in a shot by Bentham which was wide of the mark. Fagan set Niewenhuys going after a duel with Greenhalgh’s, and the winger sent in a perfect shot into the Everton goal. Liddell rushed in to try to get his head to the ball but just missed it and collided with the post. He was stunned for a moment or two but did not leave the field. Sagar having managed to rob him of his chance, affected a clearance. Liverpool were soon back in the Everton goalmouth following good work by Polk, who managed to gain a corner, but the danger was cleared by Jones. The Everton goal had a miraculous escape when first a shot by Fagan was blacked, and the ball reached Nieuwenhuys, who made a desperate effort to push it past Sagar. The Everton goalkeeper, however, managed to scoop it clear and the danger passed. Liverpool were awarded a free kick and Lambert’s kick was perfect, but Cook was able to intercept and clear. Everton went to the Liverpool end, where both Lawton and Lyon tried headers. Owen broke up the movement, and Everton’s claims for a penalty, against the Liverpool back for handling were of no avail.

January 4, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton Attack Shows its Strength
By Contact.
Liverpool: - Teasdale, goal; Stuart and Owen, backs; Lambert, Turner and Spicer, backs; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Fagan, Polk and Liddell, forwards. Everton: - Sagar (captain) , goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, T.G. Jones and Watson, half-backs; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyon, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Williams (Bolton). Liverpool and Everton met for the second time within nine days at Anfield, this time in a Lancashire Senior Cup-tie. The Liverpool side was as mixed as ever, but very determined to repeat their Christmas Day success against their rivals. Nothing of any importance happened until Fagan skidded the ball out to Liddell who took it on and made a grand shot that Sagar half held. There was a second chance with the rebound but Liddell was not quite alive to it until it was too late. Mercer made one grand run which was ended when he committed a foul on the edge of the penalty area, and generally speaking, Everton were a little too strong in attack for the defensive comfort of Liverpool. When Fagan and “Nivvy” combined against Greenhalgh, the sequal was a good length “Nivvy” centre, for which Liddell ran in at top speed. He got his head to the ball all right, but was moving so last he could not escape a collision with the post. Fortunately it turned out to be a minor bump after seeming to be a really serious business. Fagan missed a golden chance through hesitancy, and a pass-back by Mercer did more than concern Sagar. A moment later, the goalkeeper came out to prevent a certain goal by Nivvy. Liddell, from a pass by Fagan took the ball in close, but Mercer’s tackle was a grand one, and even when he was on the ground he flicked the ball away to the corner flag and safely.

January 6, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool 1, Everton 2.
Lancashire Senior Cup First Round, First Leg
Everton Win at Anfield.
By L.E.E.
Everton avenged themselves for a League defeat at Anfield on Christmas Day, when they beat Liverpool 2-1 in the first round of the Lancashire Senior Cup. They contributed much grand football to an unexpectedly worthwhile match, and no one could complain of not getting their money’s worth, or of the verdict. True, Liverpool were not as strong as they might have been, but in these days of mixed teams one must expect to be without star players one week, and able to play them the next. As in the previous meeting the youngsters on either side challenged comparison with the better-known and more famous contemporaries alongside and against whom they played. Both camps have reason to be pleased with themselves in this respect, Lyons, of Everton, with interchanges in partnership with the roaming Boyes had a good match, and a volleyed goal to remember it by, while Arthur had his good moments on the other wing despite the characteristically tenacious attendance of the Tranmere back Owen. Then there was Liddell’s speedy straightforward winging against Willie Cook, and Polk’s ability to occasionally put one over Joe Mercer. And Spicer and Lambert were far from being over shadowed too.
Liverpool Rally.
Everton got too long a lead when they scored twice quickly round the end of the first half hour. Lyon plugged in the first and Lawton wheeling and wheeling for an opening, let go one of his strong shots for the second. Liverpool had ample time to get the equalisers, but only when paisley followed up a deflected free kick did they get within hail. Their tally lasted right until the last minute, when Liddell all but came through for a goal, but on the game as a whole 2-1 was fair enough. Everton’s defence was so sure in moments of danger they looked more like a line of forwards inter-passing. This understanding between the departments with the whole under the organisation of Tom Jones, is the most impressive part of the Goodison side. There is no big kick to clear the lines haphazardly, but a steady flow of short passes that end in the certainty of the attack being in possession. Jones was the point at which most of Liverpool’s attacks broke down. Lawton, Jones, Lyon and Mercer were outstanding units of the winning side and it must not be forgotten that Watson, who got a nasty knock on the back of the head, was absent from the field for ten minutes at the end of the first half. Turner, of Charlton had a good match, and so did Stuart. The Liverpool attack was not always at its best, however, and they lacked the ability to finish strongly. The Tranmere goalkeeper, Teasdale may have been at fault with Lawton’s goal, but he at least made amends with several surprising saves later. Liverpool: - Teasdale, goal; Stuart and Owen, backs; Lambert, Turner and Spicer, backs; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Fagan, Polk and Liddell, forwards. Everton: - Sagar (captain) , goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, T.G. Jones and Watson, half-backs; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyon, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Williams (Bolton).

January, 6, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log.
Whatever fortune awaits the Goodison park men in that game, they will have no more difficult task than they experienced on Saturday, when they beat Liverpool 2-1 at Anfield. It was a grand game, from the first to the last minute. It was good once again to hear the vocal enthusiasm among respective fans on the Kop. They certainly had plenty of Cup-tie thrills. Two snap goals by Lyon and Lawton at 23 and 30 minutes respectively came as a surprise in the first half, and when Paisley netted for Liverpool fifteen minutes from the close it looked as if the Anfield men were heading for a well deserved draw. No one would have begrudged it them, for both in attack and defence they could fairly claim to be equal of Everton. But opportunism always brings its reward, and the Everton it meant two goals.
Severe Test
It was in the second half that Everton’s defence had its severest tests and proved its merits. In a desperate endeavour to weaken the sound work of Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Jones and Mercer, the Liverpool forward line was rearranged, Niewenhuys taking the centre position, with Fagan and Paisley on his right. The star of the Liverpool line was Liddell, whose speed and artistry was always troublesome, and he had a grand duel with Mercer. In the Everton line, which had its dazzling moments, Lawton, Bentham, and Arthur were always danger men. Lyon, a youngster with a good style and a strong shot, should surely be heard of again in senior company. Liverpool’s defence included two Tranmere Rovers –W. R. Teasdale (goal), who gave a spectacular display, and Own who played a brilliant game at left full back and showed perfect understanding with his more experienced colleagues, Stuart. The scorers for Everton were Lyon and Lawton, and for Liverpool Paisley.

January 6, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s return with Liverpool will have just the right spicing, for it was well within Liverpool’s capacity to make up the one goal deficit if their attack on Saturday had been as good as the defence they might have gone on to the second game on level terms. As it was the forwards made little impression on the Everton rearguard, and Sagar had not a great deal to do. Teasdale, however, was very busily employed and gave a splendid exhibition. He had no chance with Lyon’s opening goal, while Lawton’s shot was deflected on route. But for Teasdale, Everton would begin the second leg with a much bigger start. Liverpool’s other “Tramerite” Owen, also served his temporary masters well. He is a grand little back, who invariably parts with the ball to advantage.
A Promising Debut.
Considering the conditions the football was excellent, worthy of a much bigger gate than 3,500. The best forward display came from Everton, for both Nieuwenhuys and Fagan had an off day, and it was left to Liddle and Polk to take Liverpool’s attacking honours. The last name is rapidly improving. With a bit of fortune Liddell might have put Liverpool two up in the first ten minutes, but it was not his lucky day. As it was it was left to Lyon, Everton’s ex-school international making his debut in the first team, to round off with a grand goal, he himself initiated. Lyon is cast in the traditional Everton mould, a clever ball player, with grand control, plenty of individuality, and the ability to see two moves ahead and be in the right spot at the right time. He dove-tailed with Boyes, particularly in the first half, at though he had been partnering him all season. Lawton was in good fettle and Bentham was his usual solid and hardworking self.
Stout Defence
Put it was Everton’s defence with the immaculate and incomparable Jones to keystone, which took chief honour’s and kept the home attack subdued for the major position of the game. Paisley got Liverpool’s orphan good, and in doing so demonstrated the raise of a flying start when the defenders are lined up to block a free kick. Given recent conditions, the return game should produce the best attendance so far at Goodison Park. This season has been some first class football, the only thing lacking has been the old thrill of the vast crowds –which was half the secret of football’s hold on the public. The crowd made the game just as much as the players.

January 7, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Tom Lawton and England centre forward and Miss Roseleen May Kavanagh, daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas Kananagh, of Brindle Cottage, Rice Lane who are to be married at Walton Church on Wednesday, January 15. Lawton now a Sergeant instructor in the Army, joined Everton in December 1936, when 17, as a deputy to Dixie Dean. Everton paid £7,000 for him. Since then he has obtained practically every honour, except a Cup final medal, the game can offer. He is more than a useful cricketer, topping the battling average for Burnley C.C.

January 8, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton make no changes from the side which was victorious at Anfield. Stevenson, now in the R.A.F, is not available, so that Lyon continues as inside left, the team reading:- Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyon and Boyes.
Liverpool Have Bartram Back
Providing the Services’ players can get leave, Liverpool hope to field pretty much the same side as last Saturday in the return Lancashire Senior cup-tie with Everton, at Goodison Park, this week-end. One change will be the inclusion of Bartram, now back from a short leave, in goal in place of W.R. Teasdale. At left full back they hope to again have the Services of Owen of Tranmere Rovers, who has played two grand games in the last two weeks at Anfield. If the side can infuse a little more vim into the attack. Everton will have to pull out their best so hang on to their goal lead. Forward weaknesses were Liverpool’s undoing in the first meeting. There will have to be a more concentrated effort if Jones and company are to be outwitted this tome; Team; Bartram; Stuart, Owen; Lambert, Turner, Spicer; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Fagan, Polk, Liddell.
Liverpool “A” have been doing extremely well this season. They have lost only one game so far, and last week beat Everton “A” 4-1 at Goodison Park.

January 10, 1940. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton hold the trophy, and naturally are keen to keep it. In view of their success at Anfield last week, the Blues will be favourities for the match tomorrow, but it must not be forgotten that Liverpool might have snatched the spoils last Saturday with a little better finishing, and also that they can claim a North Regional victory over their neighbours this season. As the Lancashire cup-ties, in the early stages are on the home and home principle, tomorrow’s games are of vital importance and in many cases it may be a case of goal average deciding the entry into the second round. Everton will field the side that was successful at Anfield. Liverpool may have one change from last week, Bartram is likely to be on leave, and in that case will resume in goal. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Liverpool; Bartram; Stuart, Owen; Lambert, Turner, Spicer, Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Fagan, Polk, Liddell.
Jackie Lyon
Old Whistonman writes:-
As an old reader of your notes, I would like to correct a statement regarding young Jackie Lyon. You said that he is a St. Helen’s lad, Jackie was born in Whiston, like his dad and granddad. I don’t think he ever sat St. Helens until he played school football there. He is a real Whistonian and the sports crowd of the village are proud of him and follow his career with interest. He can’t help but play football. His uncles were above the average players, and his granddad won his first football medal at the age of nine. My brother was in the same team along with him. It was a nine-a-side competition for Prescot and Whiston lads (I Still have the medal my brother won). “It would be about this time the Everton club was first formed. Jackie’s granddad later played with Whiston Ramblers. Also during the last war a great uncle of Jackie’s played a few times for Everton. His name was Platt, and he played outside right. “I used to watch Jackie as a lad of nine on the field here making rings round lads nearly twice his age, and barring accidents he is sure to make a name for himself. I am glad Everton got him, so that we can watch him whenever he gets a chance to play.

Liverpool Daily Post - Friday 10 January 1941
CANON JAMES JORDAN who to-day enters his sixtieth year, is a canon residentiary of Hereford Cathedral, and was formerly vicar of All Hallows, Allerton, a parish which grew in population from 1,200 to 7,000 during the twenty years he spent there. Ordained at Liverpool in 1905, after graduating at Hertford College, Oxford, the canon spent thirty-five years in this diocese; and during that time he also travelled as a missioner across Northern and Southern Nigeria, a tour of 3,000 miles. He was the first white man to visit one Nigerian village. He is the brother of another canon, the Rev. William C. Jordan, the international footballer and Oxford Blue, who was centre-forward for West Bromwich Albion against Everton in English Cup semi-final. 

January 19, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Liverpool need not be unduly perturbed at starting a goal down tomorrow, providing they make up their minds to wash out last week’s errors in attack. Without improvement in that department I cannot see anything but an Everton victory, for the Blues defence these days is right at the top of its form.
A Big Incentive
If the conditions are favourable the game ought to produced a grand struggle for there is a big incentive to both sides to remain on the competition. The one which goes out will have to fill in the next four weeks with regional fixtures, and already it is pretty clear that Cup games are going to make a bigger appeal to spectators than Regional stuff. Apart from the substitution of Bartram for Teasdale both sides will be the same. Lyon again figures as successor to Stevenson in the Everton attack, and if he repeats, his good work of last week Everton need not worry about the Irishman’s absence. Owen, of Tranmere, who are distinguished himself is one more appearing for Liverpool. Teams;- Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyon, Boyes. Liverpool; Bartram; Stuart, Owen; Lambert, Turner, Spicer; Niuwenhuys, paisley, Fagan, Polk, Liddell.
Everton “A” team play Marine on Saturday. Everton “A”:- O’Hara; Ireland, Dugdale; Sharrett, Finnis, Atkins; Sumner, Simmons, Owen, Williams, Bailey.

January 11, 1941. The Evening Express.
Shafton Nets For L’Pool In 15 Minutes.
By Pilot.
Everton and Liverpool played the return Lancashire Senior Cup first-round game at Goodison Park today. There were notable absentees from both teams. Everton: - Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Jones (J); Arthur, Bentham, Jackson, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Liverpool: - Bartram, goal; Stuart and Owen, backs; Lambert, Turner, and Spicer, half-backs; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Shafto, Patterson (G), Liddell, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Twist (West Houghton). There was a thrill in the first moment, when during a Liverpool attack, Liddell sent in a perfect centre from the corner flag, Cook missed it, but Shafto was just out of position to take a shot and Greenhalgh cleared the danger. Sagar was in action when, in the course of another Liverpool raid, he managed to get to a header by Shafto, and a moment later he fisted across shot from Liddell over the bar. At this stage Liverpool were doing most of the attacking, and there was more danger to the Everton goal when Liddell tried to cut in from the wing, but T.G. Jones saved the situation with a timely interception. Bartram was next in action in the Liverpool goal, when he dived to a shot from Jackson after good work by Stevenson and Arthur. A duel between Boyes and Stuart ended in a corner for Everton but the kick was well cleared by paisley, and then Nieuwenhuys took up the attack. It ended in a goal for Liverpool. Nieuwenhuys weaved his way through and his final shot struck the crossbar. The ball rebounded into play and with Sagar right out of position; Shafto crashed it into the net from three yards’ range. The goal came after 15 minutes. The Everton defence were having an anxious time, for from the next move Liddell skimmed the Everton crossbar with a lightning drive. Everton had their chances, and they missed a glorious one when Boyes hesitated with a grand opening for a shot, Start cleared the danger. The Liverpool forward line was in brilliant form, and first Liddell and then Niewenhuys again had the defence in difficulties.

January 11, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Counter Everton Cup-Tie Attacks
By Stork.
Everton: - Sagar (captain) ; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Jones (J); Arthur, Bentham, Jackson, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Liverpool: - Bartram, goal; Stuart and Owen, backs; Lambert, Turner, and Spicer, half-backs; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Shafto, Patterson (G), Liddell, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Twist (West Houghton). There were several changes for the return Lancashire Cup game between Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park. It was a strange Everton side in that, for the first time in his career, George Jackson played centre forward owing to Lawton not being available. Stevenson, fortunately was able to get leave (he is now in the R.A.F), and he took the place of Lyons, while J.E. Jones was at left half in place of Watson. In the Liverpool side Shafto played at centre forward and Patterson came down from Blackpool to take over inside left position. Liverpool started off on a bright note, and Sagar had to save a good effort by Shafto, while a little later the Everton goalkeeper had to tip over the bar a centre by Liddell. At least that was what it looked like from the stand, but apparently Sagar did not touch the ball, for the referee gave a goalkick. So far Everton had done nothing in an attacking sense. They had not the opportunity, for Liverpool by their spright mess kept them on the defence, and Tom Jones twice had to cut in confidently to check the Liverpool forwards.
Liverpool Lead.
The first time Everton did make an advance, however they almost sneaked a goal. Mercer led a nice push through pass for Stevenson, who, in turn, edged the ball on to Jackson, who showed ability as a forward by gliding the ball to the far side of the Liverpool goal. A goal seemed a certainty until Bartram dived across his goal and scooped the ball away with one hand. Nivvy was almost through and so for that matter was Boyes at the other end. It was not a bad crowd, and thus far they had thoroughly enjoyed the fare offered. At 15 minutes Liverpool took the lead. Shafto actually scored the goal, but in actual fact the credit for it must go to “Nivvy” for he beat the Everton defence and was unfortunately not to have scored himself, the ball slamming up against the upright and it was from the rebound that Shafto scored.

January 13, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton 4, Liverpool 1
Back Shines As Leader.
By Stork.
When Everton learned that Lawton was not available for the return Lancashire Cup-tie with Liverpool at Goodison Park they decided upon a daring experiment that of playing Jackson, their full back at centre forward. I thought at the time they could have made a better choice, for Jackson has never given any indication that he would make a forward, whereas others had. Well, Jackson scored all four goals by which Everton defeated Liverpool, who scored through Shafto early in the game. Everton thus won the right to meet Burnley in the next round by a margin of 6-2 from their two meeting. They were two strange-looking sides, for Liverpool also had their team worries. Ten minutes from the start Mr. George Kay was looking for two players to complete his side, and Everton had four full backs in their team. Lawton will not be available on Saturday, for he will be helping Morton against Hamilton Academicals. He is honeymooning at Gourack.
Shafto Takes His Chance.
Liverpool started off on the right foot, and their speed and quick tackling prevented Everton from doing anything but defend. In fact, they were much the better team for 20 minutes or so, during which time Everton could not get moving with their customary skill, and so were a goal, in arrear in 15 minutes. Shafto was the scorer, but it was Niuwenhuys who must take most credit, for his shot, which crashed against the upright, left Shafto with a simple chance. After that Everton surely got the upper hand, and had it not been for Bartram in the Liverpool goal Everton’s goal crop would have been considerably augmented. There were times when the Liverpool goal had a charmed life such was Everton’s pressure, and not even a Bartram could have saved the situation. He did galliant work throughout, but time and time again the ball was luckily cannoned out of the net, when all seemed lost. At forty minutes Jackson scored a scratchy goal from Arthur’s centre, some claiming the ball had not gone over the line. A few minutes later Jackson snapped up a centre from Boyes, and although Bartram put his foot out to prevent the ball going in, he could not prevent goal No 2. The second half was distinctly Everton’s. They practically played Liverpool out of the game and it was then that Bartram stood between Everton and a riot of goals. He saved all manner of shots, but had to yield at the hour again to Jackson, who fastered on up-the-middle pass by Mercer and shot wide of Bartram –the best goal of the day in my opinion.
High-Class Play
Liverpool could do nothing to stop the avalanche. Their attack was rendered important by the Everton defence, while their defence was run off its feet by this curious Everton team which played football of a high standard. They simply outclassed their rivals and almost in the last minute Jackson brought his tally to four goals, a remarkable achievement for a converted full-back. Arthur had a grand match. In fact, after 20 minutes Everton, the whole Everton side rose to the occasion to such an extent that Liverpool were never again troublesome. Patterson and Liddell were the best of their forwards, and Turner was a great defender, but having had their moments, Liverpool were eventually out-manoeuvred. Attendance 4,479. Everton: - Sagar (captain); Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Jones (J); Arthur, Bentham, Jackson, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Liverpool: - Bartram, goal; Stuart and Owen, backs; Lambert, Turner, and Spicer, half-backs; Niuwenhuys, Paisley, Shafto, Patterson (G), Liddell, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Twist (West Houghton).

January 13, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton struck their true in their return game against Liverpool at Goodison Park. They were worth their 4-1 victory, because after a weak start, in which Liverpool took the lead, they took command of the game and never lost their grip on it. During the second half it was only the wonderful goalkeeping of Bartram which kept the score down. At the other end Sagar was rarely in action. Everton’s main strength was in the half-back line, where Mercer, T.G. Jones and Jack Jones “called the tune” to which the forwards responded in good style. They mastered a Liverpool forward line which, in the early stages, worked perfectly. The Liverpool men, however, later lacked the cohesion of the Everton set. This game will certainly go down in local football history, for it was a full back 0G. Jackson –deputising at the last minute for Tom Lawton at centre forward, who scored Everton’s four goals. He showed his versatility and was nearly always in position ready to thrust home the grand work of his front line colleagues. Arthur on the right wing continues to develop on the right lines and with Stevenson and Boyes –whose tricky work was a feature –had a good share in bringing about the result. Sagar had little to do but he was well covered by the sound play of Greenhalgh and Cook. Liverpool had their individualists who shone, when they got their chances. Notable among them were Niuwenhuys and Liddell in the forwards and none of the defenders worked harder under a gruelling test, than Stuart and Owen at full back and Turner at centre half. The scores for Everton were Jackson (4) and for Liverpool, Shafto.

January 14, 1941. The Evening Express
By Pilot.
Everton will have two changes compared with the team that beat Liverpool at Goodison Park. Mercer and Cook will be playing in the representative match at Sheffield between an All British X1, and a Football League X1. Cook for the All British team and Mercer for the League X1. Lawton will not be available for Everton. He will be honeymooning in Scotland –he will be married tomorrow –and has accepted an invitation to play for Morton. If Stevenson is not available, Jackie Lyon, the clever forward of the “A” side, will partner Boyes. Compared with last Saturday’s side, Jackson, who scored four goals against Liverpool from the centre forward position, will on Saturday figure at right back, while Jones (J.E.), who was at left half last Saturday, crosses over to right half, Watson taking to the left half berth. Catterick will lead the attack. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Jones (JE), Jones (TG), Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, or J. Lyon, Boyes.
Prenton Game
Tranmere Rovers will once again play two games at Prenton on Saturday, one at two, will be between Tranmere Rovers “B” and Flint Coutyaulds, and the second at 3.15 an all amateur test between Tranmere Rovers and Everton. V. Everton; J.L. Breeze; A. Wishart, J. Price; W.J. Cartwright, W.B. Price, G. Kiernan; L.L. Ashcroft, A.W. Cox, T. Whitfield, R. Hodgson, T.B. Jones.

January 14, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will be without Cook and Mercer and possibly T.G. Jones. In the case of Jones, who is on work of national importance, it is doubt if whether he will be able to get away in time to make the journey to Sheffield, in which case he will play for Everton in their second round Lancashire Cup-tie against Burnley at Goodison Park. Everton have provisionally included him in their side for this match. If he can manage the Sheffield game, Lindley, who is now in the Air Force, will probably deputise Catterick comes in at centre forward in place of Lawton, who is being married tomorrow and will be in Scotland on his honeymoon at the week-end.
Stevenson Doubtful
There is doubt about Stevenson’s availability now he is in the R.A.F. if he is unable to play, Lyon, who did so well in the first cup game against Liverpool, will take his place, while Jackson, after his four goals feat as a centre forward last week, returns to his rightful place in the full back line:- Team; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Jones (JE), Jones (TG), Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson (or Lyon), Boyes.
Jesper Kerr, the former Everton player now in business in Burnley, was at Goodison Park on Saturday for the Cup-tie looking very fit and well and broader of shoulder than ever! He tells me Burnley have a very fine side, with some exceptionally promising youngsters in it, but after seeing Everton’s clever display he wasn’t too optimistic about Burnley’s chances.

Liverpool Daily Post - Thursday 16 January 1941
 Many well-known sportsmen were present at the wedding yesterday at Walton Parish Church of Tom Lawton, the Everton footballer and England centre forward, and Miss Rosaleen , May Kavanagh, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Kavanagh, Brindle Cottage, Rice Lane, Liverpool. The bridegroom, who is now a sergeant-instructor in the Army, joined Evcrton in December, 1936 (when he was seventeen), as a deputy to Dixie Dean. Everton having pmd £7,000 for him.  Since that time has obtained practically every honour excepting a Cup Final medal—that the game can offer. He is keen cricketer and has topped the batting average for Burnley C.C.  The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. D. W. Spafford. and Mr. Jack Colley was the best man. The bride was given away by her father, and wore a graceful gown of ivory taffetas with redingote of fine needlerun lace. A fan-shaped headdress to match secured her bridal veil of embroidered net, and she carried bouquet of crimson roses and white heather. Her sister, Mrs. E. L. Colley, was the matron of honour. Later, the bride and bridegroom left for a honeymoon in Scotland.

January 20, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Lawton scored the first goal for Morton against Hamilton.
Mercer and played for the Football League and Cook for the British X1 at Sheffield, in front of 5,000 spectators. Result 3 goals each.

January 21, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Following the emergency meeting of the Lancashire F.A to discuss the rearrangement of the second round Lancashire Cup ties, Everton had the option of playing their match with Burnley this weekend at either Goodison Park or Turf Moor. They have decided to play at Burnley partially in order not to disappoint the Turf Moor folks, and partly because they feel the gate there will be larger than it would at Goodison, where Burnley would hardly be the attraction that Everton will on the opposition ground particularly with Lawton in the side. Lawton, of course, first rose to fame at Burnley, and the folk their are expected to turn out in good strength to see him again. Everton will have a strong side out. Including nine –and possibly ten –of the championship side. The doubt is about Stevenson, now in the R.A.F. If he cannot play, his place will be taken by Lyon. Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, of Lyon, and Boyes.

January 22, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Burnley’s Youthful Side.
Ranger’s Notes.
There will be something of a reunion at Turf Moor, on Saturday next, when Everton meet Burnley in the second round of the Lancashire Cup, for Tom Lawton the Everton centre forward will find three former schoolmasters in the Burnley side. They are Marshall, Mather and Knight all the old boys of Folds Road School, where Lawton got his earliest lessons in the game. All three were recommended to Burnley –as also was Lawton –by their schoolmaster, who evidently knows a building star when he sees one. Burnley will include two 18-years-old amateur in their side, H. Jackson and F.P. Kippex –the last a well-known name in another sphere of sports. Teams;- Conway; Marshall, Mather; Gardiner, Woodruff, H. Jackson, Brocklebank, F.P. Kippax, Knight, Hornby.

January 24, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton are the club engaged in cup fare, and it depends on the outcome of their meeting with Burnley whether the Merseyside area has a 50 per cent representation in the semi-finals, for one club –either New Brighton or Chester –is already a certainly for that stage. The hurdle facing the Goodison club is not an easy one, but if they can hold the Turf Moorities at Turf Moor tomorrow, they should make certain of appearing in the last four when the clubs meet at Goodison Park. Apart from the cup-tie atmosphere, the match is especially noticeable because Lawton, who will lead the Everton attack, will be playing against his old club. Everton mean to retain possession of the trophy which they won last season, and with their full side available they will take some beating. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

January 24, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton, who have won the Lancashire Cup twice within the last five years and are the present holders, lost the right to play the first leg of the second round on their own ground through no fault of their own. Actually the Lancashire F.A. gave them the option of playing tomorrow’s game at Goodison, but the board agreed on Burnley. While the switch does away the slight advantage which accrues to a team through having the first game at home, I think we shall see Everton go on, just the same, to the semi-final, in which they will meet either Manchester City of Blackpool. Everton’s only don’t relates to Stevenson, but in young men they have a player of outstanding promise, and there will be no weakness there. Teams; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, or Lyon, Boyes. Burnley; Conway; Marshall, Mather; Gardiner, Woodcuff, Loughlan; H. Jackson, Brocklebank, F.J. Kipper, Knight, Hornby.

January 25, 1941. The Evening Express.
Early Escape at Burnley.
Everton were at Burnley today in the second round of the Lancashire Senior Cup. Burnley: - Conway, goal; Robinson and Mather, backs; Gardiner, Woodruff and Loughran, half-backs; Jackson, Brocklebank, F.P. Kippax, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Everton; Jackson, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyons and Boyes, forwards. Everton had two men short before the kick-off. Sagar did not appear and Jackson, who scored four goals against Liverpool in the previous tie at Goodison Park, went in goal. Boyes was a last minute arrive just when Everton were preparing to play a Burnley junior named Courtier. An attraction for Burnley supporters was the appearance of Tom Lawton for the first time in four years, since he left Burnley for Everton. There were about 5,000 spectators. In the first minute Everton but an amazing escape from being a goal down. A delightful executed movement started by Gardiner saw Brocklebank and Knight advancing in a clever bout of passing which ended in Knight firing hard and low for goal. Jackson was caught out of position, but luckily for him the ball crashed against the upright and was scrambled away. Immediately afterwards, when Everton attempted progress on their left flank, Robinson intercepted and crossed the ball to Hornby, who converged on goal and fired in a fast, rising shot.

January 25, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton’s Lancashire Cup-tie.
For their first meeting in the Lancashire Cup with Burnley, at Turf Moor, Everton were able to call upon the services of Lawton, but in goal Jackson had to appear for Sagar. Burnley were without the services of Marshall, but recalled Robinson, their former full back, who has been playing with Bury.
Burnley: - Conway, goal; Robinson and Mather, backs; Gardiner, Woodruff and Loughran, half-backs; Jackson, Brocklebank, F.P. Kippax, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Everton; Jackson, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyons and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Robinson, Blackburn. Burnley won the toss, and Gardiner, Brocklebank, and Knight co-operated in a movement which enabled Hornby to put in a nice centre, Knight put in a first time shot, which Jackson caught at the foot of the post. In another thrust, in which Knight was prominent, Burnley again pressed on the left, and Hornby got in a first time drive, which Jackson put over for a corner. From the flag kick Brocklebank put in a drive which Greenhalgh headed away. When Everton raided Lawton got possession on the left, and Gardiner smartly tackled and passed back to Conway who clearer. A moment later Lawton was again through but was adjudged offside. Both sides kept the ball on the ground, but Burnley made better progress for a time being well served by Kippax, who compelled close attention by the Everton defence. Eventually Arthur led a fence. Eventually Arthur led a strong raid on the Everton right wing; but his centre found Woodruffe in possession to head away. Everton maintained pressure on this wing, but in the middle Woodcuffe proved a stopper and Conway in goal was well protected, Lawton seized on a short pass in the middle. As he turned to head for goal, Robinson challenged him smartly and the centre forward was dispossessed. Jackson got through again on the Everton right, but his centre was placed too far forward, and it was easily gathered. At the other end Brocklebank attempted a drive from long range, but was wide of the target.

January 27, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Burnley 2, Everton 3
Lancashire Cup Round Two
Everton Win at Burnley
By L.E.E.
Playing on ground where he was introduced to professional football, Turf Moor, Lawton was responsible for a sound recovery by Everton at Burnley to give them victory by 3-2 over his old club Burnley, in their first meeting in the second round of the Lancashire Cup competition. Burnley were as good as their visitors in the first half, but after the interval Lawton seized on two chances and turning these to account won the match. With a header following a corner kick, Brocklebank gave Burnley the lead which was deserved, but Everton, once Jones commanded the middle, hit back skilfully and earned the equaliser near the interval through Lyon. In the first half mot much had been seen of Lawton but afterwards the reinvigorated the attack, and scored two fine goals. He gave his side the lead with a brilliant individual effort following a throw-in and soon afterwards supplemented this with a goal which he engineered with Boyes tapping in the outside left’s pass with characteristic coolness. The speed of Boyes was a great trouble to Burnley throughout the match. Yet in spite of Everton’s superior combination in the closing stages, Burnley rallied and Brocklebank reduced the margin. Burnley: - Conway, goal; Robinson and Mather, backs; Gardiner, Woodruff and Loughran, half-backs; Jackson, Brocklebank, F.P. Kippax, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Everton; Jackson, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Lyons and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. L. Robinson, Blackburn.

January 27, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log.
Everton are half-way to the semi-final of the Lancashire Senior Cup, and it now seems fairly certain that Merseyside and district will have a 50 per cent representation in the penultimate stage. The Goodison brigade, by the win at Burnley, also did themselves a good turn so far as the league championship race is concerned. With two fewer games played they are now only .26 behind Manchester City, who hold top place. A fine display by the emergency custodian, Jackson –Sagar was not available –saved Everton from being in arrears at the interval at Turf Moor. Later, when the Everton machine became a smooth working combination, two smart goals by Lawton gave them a well deserved victory. In the first half each side scored one –Brocklebank for Burnley and Lyon for Everton. In the second half Brocklebank replied to the two goals by Lawton, who was appearing against his old club at Turf Moor for the first time since he let four years ago. The stars on the Everton side were Mercer, Jones and Boyes. The Everton outside left frequently outpaced Robinson and Lawton was always in position to take advantage of his colleagues work. Lyon, although up against Burnley’s strongest defender, Gardiner, also did well, particularly towards the close.
• Catterick scored a hat-trick for Stockport against Southport at Edgeley Park.

January 27, 1941. The Liverpool Echo.
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton drew over 5,000 at Burnley and under more favourable conditions it might have been double, for the Turf Moor followers were keen to see Lawton’s first game there since his transfer to Everton. Everton’s 3-2 victory was particularly meritorious in view of the fact that they had full back George Jackson in goal. And a good job he made of it, Jackson has played in goal, centre forward, right back and right half in his last four games. I shouldn’t be surprised to see him referee next time.
A Double Shuffle.
Everton were undecided about their side until a few minutes before the start. Bentham and Boyes were among the missing and it was not until the twelfth man, Simmons and a Burnley “A” teamer had stripped and were ready that the absentees put in an appearance. Boyes had “hitch” from Manchester after missing his connection. Prior to that Everton, had done some quick phoning to try to get a deputy for Sagar. Burnley’s reserves goalie had go to Rossendale and by the time he was contacted it was to late for him to return home, Jackson emergency role. It was a hectic hour or so behind the scenes for Theo Kelly, but all was well in the end and the home spectators saw a grand game for their money, and two fine goals by Lawton. With the advantage of a goal start in the return game at Goodison Park. Everton seem a certainty for the semi-final stage against Blackpool. The return with Burnley has not yet been arranged. Mr. Theo Kelly has recordlying arranged a game this week-end with Barnsley, at Goodison Park which ought to attract a good crowd, for Barnsley are fifth from the top of the Regional table, only three places behind Everton, and from all accounts they are one of the bets sides in the country today. Manager Angus Seed has got together a grand combination, embodying the best of his own lads and a few guest artists of outstanding calibre and Barnsley will give the Blues a tough struggle.

January 28, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Notes
Jackson, the Everton full back, has certainly proved his versatility in the last five weeks. Against Preston North End he figured at right back –his usual position. On Christmas Day, against Liverpool at Anfield, he was at right half. In the second game with Liverpool, in the Lancashire Cup struggle, he was at centre forward and scored all four goals for his side. Last Saturday, was in goal against Burnley, at Turf Moor, and played a big part in Everton’s 3-2 success.

Did You Know . .

Burnley Express-Wednesday 29 January 1941

THAT Everton had serious team difficulties when they arrived at Turf Moor last Saturday? Sagar, their international goalkeeper, was an absentee, as was Bent ham, the inside-right. Everton had completed arrangements to play a Burnley Colt among the forwards when Bentham put appearance. THAT Everton waited in vain for Sagar, and finally their twelfth man, George Jackson, a full-back, went into goal. Jackson has played in almost every position for Everton this season. Only a fortnight ago, against Liverpool in the first-round tie of the Lancashire Cup at GoodiPark, acted as deputy for Lawton and scored four goals. THAT Tommy would have been justified in watching Saturday's match from the stand rather than participating it? A few days ago he broke a bone his right wrist, and the wrist ha 3 been in plaster and heavily bandaged since. The dressing was kept well concealed from the public by reason Lawton making use of a long-sleeved jersey. THAT Saturday's game savoured reunion among many of the players? A lick Robinson, recalled from Bury take part his first war-time game for Burnley, had special greetings for Herman Conway and Lawton. was under Robinson's captaincy that Lawton made his mark in senior football. THAT was fortunate for Law ton that he arrived at Turf Moor plenty of tame, for he bad whole crowd of friends to greet him? One of the first was Mr,; W, Horrocks, hie former schoolmaster at Bolton. It was oil Mr. Horrocks' recommendation that Law ton and other Bolton youths, Mather, Marshall, Martin dale, and Knight, joined with Burnley. THAT Burnley have received word from Jack Marshall, who last week entered the Royal Air Force? He is stationed at a depot within easy reach Burnley, but inoculation find treatment received joining-up made him H seedy and unfit to play football. THAT another player who has joined the Forces Gordon Bent ley, the goalkeeper? Bent ley, who has had two first-team games this season, has entered the Royal Army Service Corps, and it is certain that he will have plenty of football, THAT the Burnley Colt whom Everton had decided play in place Bentham was Courtier, who had been selected by the Turf Moor blub as the Reserves' twelfth man? Mr. Tom Clegg, the Burnley chairman, readily consented to Courtier donning the Everton strip, and Courtier, fact, had almost changed his clothing when Bentham appeared in the dressing room. THAT the Burnley match attracted the attention of a number of well-known sporting critics, including Eric Thompson, of the *' Daily Mail/' and Arthur Shrive, the News- Chronicle "? Stacey Liu tot t, known North country sportsmen as Adjutant," was also there. THAT Lawton, who came to Burnley in soldier's uniform, is sergeant instructor the Army ? He spent the week-end in the district with friends. He had hoped to bring his week-old bride to Burnley, but she was indisposed and had to stay behind Liverpool. THAT Saturday's gate of 5,216 was the second largest of the season, THAT some daily newspapers have announced that Burnley play their return Lancashire Cup game with Everton Goodison Park on Saturday? This not so. Burnley have a Northern League match with Blackburn Rovers at Turf Moor, and it intended to fulfil the engagement. The kick-off is at 3-15. The date for the return match with Everton has still to fie arranged.



January 30, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton’s team to meet Barnsley in the North Regional game at Goodison Park on Saturday, has been chosen except for a definite decision regarding the inside left berth. If Stevenson is not available, Jackie Lyon will again occupy the position. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, or J. Lyons, Boyes.
Bootes Athletic oppose Everton Reserves at Wavertree. Each has won on the other club’s ground. Everton; O’Hara; Ireland, Dugdale; Sharrett, Finnes, Atkins; Miller, Simmons, Powell, Owen, Bailey.

January 30, 1941. The Liverpool Echo.
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton’s good fortune in being able to keep fielding what is practically their championship side week after week is the envy of other clubs less happily placed. Though record keeping on a general sense is impossible these days, I think it can be safety said that Everton are the only club in the league without so far hasn’t had a single guest player in its ranks. For the visit of Burnley in the second match this weekend the Goodison side will be up to full strength.
Caskie of Everton and St. Mirren, has been chosen as outside left for the Scottish international side to play England at Newcastle on Saturday week.

January 31, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton will be at home and will have championship rivals, Barnsley as opponents. It will be the Goodison brigade’s second test against a Yorkshire club this season. The previous one was against Leeds United in September, when Everton were successful. The league records show that Everton, with 21 games played, have a goal average of 2.03, while Barnsley, with 22 games played, have an average of 1.84. on a points basic, Everton have 31 and Barnsley 29. Everton in the home games, have been beaten once –by Preston North End –while Barnsley in 12 away matches can claim five victories and a share in two others. Everton’s goal record is 57 against 28, while Barnsley have scored 60 goals against 33. Thuds, with both clubs strong in marksmanship a great struggle should be seen tomorrow. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Arthur, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, or Lyon, Boyes.

January 31, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton are breaking what is practically new ground tomorrow with a visit from Barnsley, who, have only once before appeared in a League game at Goodison Park. That was in the 1930-31 season, when Everton were sweeping the board in the Second Division, and Barnsley were fighting to hold on to their states. The two have also met three times in the F.A. Cup but otherwise peace-time football did not bring them into conflict, and it has been left to the war, with Cup complications which gave Barnsley a blank date, to open up a new vein of interest for Goodison spectators. It was through the avenue of Cup success that Barnsley became the most difficult side and in the land just before the war. Twice in three seasons did they hitherto sufficiently second Division side start the football world by getting to the final, drawing on each occasion. In they display they lost to Newcastle in 1910 but beat West Bronmwich Albion a couple of years later.

January 1941