Everton Independent Research Data


Belfast Telegraph - Saturday 03 July 1909
Donald Sloan, the ex-Liverpool and Everton goalkeeper, has returned to Distillery Club, Belfast, having signed for that organisation as trainer and player on Thursday evening.  Sloan, as is well-known, is a most brilliant custodian, and will be a tower of strength to Distillery in that position, as he was some years ago.  He belongs to Trabbock, in Ayrshire. 

July 13, 1909. The Liverpool Echo
We had a very good passage out of the Uraguay, not once did we experience a dirty sea all through the journey, and except for slight rain, which was on and off for only two days, there was nothing to mar the enjoyment of the trip. Of fine sights we saw many and the best of all I put to the harbour of Rio de Janeiro. It was a brilliant spectacle at night, and during the day in the daytime one could see the full beauty of the bay but at night when the lights added it presented a really grand spectacle. We had quite enough of the water when we arrived at Buenos Ayres on the morning of the 5 th . We had to endure the photographers pleasure (?) without opening our bags. This was a great relief we stayed at the Hotel Metropole, a French hotel, where English speaking waiters are unknown and where, I might add the cooking was calculated to make us say things. The next day, Sunday we played our first match meeting Tottenham Hotspur at Palermo, the final reading two goals each. Balmer and myself scored for Everton, and Toll and Clarke for the “Spurs.” This is a new experience for Bob Balmer scoring goals! The game was a capital one, when bearing in mind the length of time we had been aboard the ship. On Thursday we play the best team in Argentine, namely the Alumini F.C. They fought a hard, not to be beat, and play promisingly. The members are somewhat mixed. The teams included Argentines, and English, and in the first half there was not a goal scored, but eventually we ran out winners by a good margin of 4 goals to nil. I scored the first three goals and Jones the remaining point. Jack Taylor and Mountford did not play in this encounter. Last Sunday Everton played at Monte Video against the Urugays League, we left Buros Ayres on Saturday night by the Steamship “Vienna” and arrived early in the morning for the fixture with the League team. On arrival we were shown all the slights, and after four on a tramcar, we were invited to a big feed. The ground chosen was hard and rough, however Everton won again though this game, it was a narrow victory by two goals to one, Scorers Freeman and Lacey. This was the best game we had engaged in, and the opposition was the strongest we had experienced so far. After the match came another banquet, at which we were not lookers on, and we travelled eventually by the Vienna to Buenos Aryes at ten o'clock at night. Taylor and Adamson did not play in the last match. I mentioned all the players are keeping well, but we shall all be glad when we set sail for home and the season 1909-10 starts.

Western Times - Saturday 17 July 1909
Crelley yesterday afternoon signed papers for Exeter City. This announcement is one that will give satisfaction to the club's supporters.

Athletic News - Monday 19 July 1909
Mr. Dan Kirkwood holds a record which is surely unique in the annals of football.  From the position of a professional player he has risen to the eminence of chairman of one of the wealthiest and best conducted clubs in the country, and thereby set a worthy example for other footballers to emulate.  Born at Broxburn, the home of many famous Scottish footballers, he early imbibed a passion for the game, and at the age of sixteen had become a regular player for Broxburn Shamrock, either as forward or half-back.  In fact, it mattered not to “Danny” Kirkwood what position he occupied so long as he got his game of football.  After four years with the Shamrock he joined East Stirlingshire, and then at the age of twenty was induced to cross the Border.  Along in Dan Doyle he obtained a berth in one of the shipbuilding yards at Sunderland, and took part in the practice matches there.  However, Doyle, who was a master in the art of driving a bargain, secured terms for himself and Kirkwood from the secretary of the new organization on Wearside –Sunderland Albion-and there for six weeks the pair played regularly.  A trip to Scotland aroused their native patriotism, and they returned not to England, Kirkwood staying behind to assist the Hibernians and later his former club, East Stirlingshire.  Thence he went to Everton in the season of 1888-89, the second year of the League existence. 
“Dan” At Hame!
In those days a visit to Scotland by English exploiters were an undertaking attended by considerable risk, and Mr. Kirkwood relates an amusing episode in connection with his departure from Broxburn.  “I had been recommended to the Everton club by old comrade Doyle, who had also come to terms with them, and one of the directors –Mr. Brooks –came stealthily by night to the village, under his guidance.  Doyle pointed out the house where I lived, and taking advantage of the darkness Mr. Brooks gained admission unobserved.  That night I had gone to a country fair, known as Falkirk “Tryst,” and my old mother –a typical Scotch dame –was alone in the kitchen.”  
“Is Dan at home?” said Mr. Brooks.
“Nae, he’s gan awae to see’t “Tryst.” 
“To see Christ! Gasped Mr. Brooks in amazement, whose acquaintance with the Scotch accent was very limited.  It required some little effort to make matters plain, but eventually this was accomplished, and the next day Kirkwood arrived in Liverpool.   First with the Combination team, and then four years with the League eleven, as forward or half-back, he ably assisted Everton.  He helped them to win the League championship, and he is the only individual now connected with the club who can claim that distinction, either player or official. 
When Football was Football
His reminiscences of League football at that time are very clear.  “Never,” says he, “have I seen finer forward work than that which was shown by the Everton front rank of those days.  Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward were a wonderful combination and I think the best display they ever gave was at Pike’s lane, when we defeated Bolton Wanderers by five goals to none.  The Wanderers were a convincing force then, and included such players as Davenport, Brogan, and Bob Roberts, but they were helpless against us.  Another famous victory was that at Blackburn, where I played centre forward in the first half, and Parry took the same place after the change of ends.  There is no doubt that wing play on the Everton right was brought to a high state of perfection by Kirkwood, Latta, and Brady, for each man understood his comrade thoroughly.  “When one of us was cornered,” says Mr. Kirkwood, “another seemed to divine his intention, and it was this sympathetic intuition which enabled us to overcome difficulties, and create anxiety amongst the opposing defenders.”  Having been offered the position of captain and manager of a new organization in Liverpool –the Caledonians –Mr. Kirkwood left Everton, but bad luck followed, for in November, while playing at Blackpool in a Lancashire League match, he broke his leg, which terminated his career as a player.  Two weeks later the club went into liquidation and ceased to exist.  Subsequently Mr. Kirkwood became a shareholder of Everton, and was asked by some of his ardent admirers to stand for the directorate.  Nine years ago he consented, and was elected to the board by a convincing majority of votes.  He has thus served three terms of service, and now has reached the chairmanship of his club. 
Players Past and Present

“I consider,” he says, that I have attained the highest honour in the football world that it is possible for me to desire.  It has afforded me the utmost delight and gratification to have gained this position, which is the heights of my ambition, and I have been deeply touched by the many expressions of good wishes which have been tendered to me since my election.  And none have been more pleasing than those which were voiced by Mr. McKenna, the chairman of the Liverpool club in the presence of the Lancashire Combination delegates at Llandudno a fortnight ago.  “Regarding the present position of professional footballers, I think that they were never better off than at the present day,” in Mr. Kirkwood’s opinion.  “When there was no wage limit, it was considered a fancy price to receive 3 pounds or 3 pounds 10s per week, and really good men were satisfied with 2 pound.  They received a lump sum for signing on, ‘tis true, at least certain players did, but look at matters now!  Every man, with decent ability, receives 4 pounds a week, and at Everton a player obtains his 500 pound benefit, which means 5 pounds a week all the year round.  Then there are compensation, insurance, and other advantages, such as were never dreamt of in days gone by.  I consider the football player of the present day is amply paid, and is treated with the utmost consideration by the majority of clubs in the country.  It is difficult to ascertain what some of these men really do want.” 

July 20, 1909. The Liverpool Echo
Everton travelled all night from Southampton and arrived in Liverpool at six o'clock this morning. Several of the players visited the office of the club, looking exceptionally well, and expressed themselves delighted with the tour. A warm welcome in more senses than one awaited the remembers of the Everton and Tottenham Hotspur teams on their homecoming to England, for the thermometer registered something nearing the nineties in the sun when the steamer Austurians slowly swung into Southampton docks just before six o'clock last evening, and was morred at No 26 berth. All the Everton men looked bronzed, and well after their nine or ten weeks holiday under the sunny western skies, and Messrs Bainbridge and Wade, the directors in charge of the team throughout the tour, reported a clean bill of health. The Asturians was two days overdue, but the homeward passage was a good one. Taylor, the veteran of the side, Balmer, MaConnachie, White, Freeman, and the other men all looked in the pink of health, and all spoke to having spent a highly enjoyable time. Five games were played at Buenos Ayres, Monte Video, and Chile, the Everton men winning four of five, and having a goal average of 16 to 4. An attempt on behalf of a pressman to sound the various players as to their views with regard to the question of the attitude adopted by the Football Association in reference to the Players' Union was not productive of much result. The men confessed that having been practually out of civilization for a couple of months, so far as English newspapers were concerned, the news which had reached them of the rupture between the Union, and the Association was scrappy in the extreme and they hardly felt justified to expressing a decided opinion on the merits of the dispute, until they were in possession of fuller details. One or two of the younger players, however, openly expressed their dissatisfaction and indignation at what they termed “the high-handed action of the Association.” The older men, while resolutely declining to be drawn into a definite statement as to the probable course of action they would take in the future, declared that the players would in the end be compelled willy nilly to how to the dictates of the governing body of the game, and secede from their Union. Mr. Wade one of the directors of the club, however, was a little more communicative. Declining to make any statement on the merits of the dispute, he said that nearly all the Everton team had seceded from the players' Union and declared with confidence that there was not the slightest fear of any trouble rising between the directors of the club and the men from this cause in future. The adventures of the team while not so exciting as the experience of some earlier football tourists in South America were not devoid of incident. Here is a story told by one player, which may or may not be apocryphal: - In one of the more important fixtures in Argentina the officials of the home team required a player to complete the side, and the only man good enough to fill the particular position was in prison. The President of the Republic was sought, and a reguest made that this young man might be released in order to play in the game. The request was granted, and soldiers escorted the player to the ground. So well did he play that the President, who was present at the match, ordered his release. So runs the story.

July 24 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo.
The following is the exhaustive diary of Mr. E.A.Bainbridge, of the Everton Football Club, who, together with Mr. A.E.Wade, was in charge of the Argentine tour. Mr. Bainbridge writes as follows: - On the 13 th May last, numerous friends and admires assembled at Lime-street Station, Liverpool to wish bon voyage to the Everton football team and officials on their departure by the four p.m. train to play a series of matches in two of the South American Republics. The number of players including the trainer (fourteen) accompanied by Messrs, E.A.Bainbridge and AR Wade directors, were as follows: - C.H. Berry, R. Balmer, J. MaConnachie, D.Rafferty, V. Harris, R. Clifford, H. Adamson, JD Taylor, T. Jones, W. Lacey, BC Freeman, W. White, and H. Mountford, and of course the irrepressible John Elliott, who has served the club faithfully and well during the last twenty-one years. We were a very merry and comfortable party. The train steamed out of the station to quite a demonstration of good wishes. Arrived in London, buses were in readiness to convey the party to the Imperial Hotel, Russell square, where we stayed the night, and at 9.28 the following morning left Waterloo for Southampton, but, prior to our departure, we were subjected to the not uncommon process of being snapshots on the station platform as our London friends were determined to have the last impression of us before we left.

We were pleased to receive and have a chat with F.J. Wall, secretary of the English Association. He did us the honour of being included in the picture. We were much concerned by the non-appearance of our old opponents, Tottenham, who through an accident, did not catch the train, but subsequently turned up by a latter one. In fact we were on our journey down stream before Tottenham caught us up by chartering a special tug. We were glad to see our old opponents again, and everyone was in good humour in anticipation of a pleasant outing. We were most fortunate in being able to go out in such a fine ship as the Royal Mail steamer Uraguaya (meaning “Heart's Desire “) commanded by captain J. Pope, who did all in his power for our comfort and entertainment throughout the voyage of twenty-one days. In like manner we were indebted to the officers and crew, for the many acts of kindness we were the recipients of. In the evening of the day of our leaving Southampton, we arrived at Cherbourg, on the coast of France, and after taking on mail and passengers, proceeded on our trackless course and arrived, at our next port of call. Vigo on the coast of Spain, where we entered the following morning.

After a brief stay here we sailed on along the Portuguese Coast, reaching Lisbon about 8.30 a.m. we landed by steam launch on the jetty, and strolled on towards the now historical “Black Horse Square” the ever to be remembered place of the assassination of the late King Carlos. We visited the botanical gardens situation on the entrance overlooking the town, and made a halt at the Café Royal for comfort and duly presented ourselves ready to continue our journey. We weighted anchor about 6a.m. , and having taken up a good position on the observation deck. We were delighted with the natural beauty of our surrounding, and the approach to the River Tagus. The next call was Madera and we paid a visit to the cathedral, quietly strolling round and observing how native bargain. We had sufficient time to admire the liner Britain, which had just come into the bay. On Friday the 21 st , we sighted Cape de Vorde Islands, and unchored before St. Vincent on a sterious morning. We remained about three hours, and during that time were visited by a delegation of the officials of the Eastern Telegraph Company, who have about 150 employees' stationed here. We given' an exhibition of high diving and copper-diving, one of our party, who at home is somewhat careful, was so enamoured of the of the sport that he consigned to the deep his last bronze coin. We left for Percamburn, the first call in South America, and district, 1,610 miles for St. Vincent.

We were not long in settling down for a five days run across the Atlantic Ocean. We formed to various committees for sport and pastimes and suitable to the various nationalities on board. I may say that spectators at Goodison Park may look out for a variety of language and deportment this coming season. The day after leaving St Vincent, a small company organised a Derby sweep, and one of our stalwart drew a favourite and was on good terms with himself until we reached the Brazilian coast, when he found his horse had met with a serious spill. Sport on board was of the usual varied description, and was thoroughly enjoyed.

Tuesday, May 25, being the anniversary of the independence of the Argentine Republic, a grand carnival and fairly dress ball was orgainised and carried out on an laborate scale, the dresses' being most costly and magnificent and would have done justice to Covent Gardens on festival night. It was an unqualified success in every detail. Modestly alone compels me to refrain front going into particulars as to my own part. At 2.30 p.m. we all assembled for the Argentine National Anthem, the Everton directors calling for three hearty British cheers for the Argentine Republic, and an extra “Football Whisper” which almost brought the roof off. Imagine for one moment 250 ladies and gentleman in character ranges from “Bridges” to the “Merry' Widow” during and fraternising. “We paraded in pairs headed by “Miss R Balmer”as PO Peep” who appeared for this night and your humble corespondent. Dancing was indulged until 1 p.m. This was a red-letter day on board, and afforded great pleasure and fun for all.

Our first view of land after leaving St. Vincent was a passing Fernando islands sixteen hours run from the Brazilian Coast. This island, I understand is a signed station and convict settlement. We duly arrived at Pernambuco our first call in South America, and after taking on boards a quantity of fresh fruits etc, some of our boys indulged in shark fishing, but only with indifferent results. After breakfast we had to listen to one or two very fishy stories to the accompaniment of questions la Harry Tate. “Any luck.” On Friday, 28 th we duly arrived at Balia about 10 a.m., and left again at nightfall, after the usual exchanges of passengers and adding to our focks of fresh water. We were advised not to land, owing to the prevalence of fever. Numerous opportunities were afforded of studying and passing judgement on the numerous and various types of Brazilians, On Sunday June 30; we arrived at Rio de Janeiro at 7 p.m.

After dinner a small party by the kindness of the captain, visited the shore by a steam launch. We were afterwards informed there had been a fracas near the quay, two persons being dangerous wounded. All were up very early, the following morning, and Everton and Spurs players with their officials, chartered an electric car, and proceeded to Topica the antiquated, residence of the Imperator Dom Pedro the second. It is now name the Grand White Hotel. The scenery up the mountains was simply magnificent in its natural beauty, abounding with a profusion of all varieties of tropical vegetation. We were again subjected to the camera, and arrived at our ship at 4.p.m. Before sailing we had an opportunity of viewing this most magnificent natural harbour with its vast number of islands. At 6 p.m. we proceeded down the Southern seas and made for Santos, where we arrived at eight o'clock on the morning of Tuesday, June 1 st . It was a most beautiful morning. The river approach to this town is very much of a serpentine character, and is not without beauty and attraction. There was, however, a peculiar dampness in the air, and I suppose it was mainly owing to this and other causes that Santos in the past earned an unenviable name of “the white man's grave.” We strolled round the town while general cargo was being discharged and coffee –Santos and San Paul being in the heart of the coffee producing country –was taken in.

In the evening we made tracks further South and on the morrow commenced putting in good work in the way of training, which was continued each morning in anticipation of our football obligations in the Argentine. About eight o'clock on a most lovely night we arrived at Monte Video, and realised a rapid change in the temperature, which had been taking place for the last two days. We found the weather cold at Monto Video, very much like an English winter. The camera friend was again at work in a magnified form. The harbour here was very full of shipping, and moving up the river on the day of our arrival, we had perforce to plough out course through 3ft of mud, our ship responding nobly to the calls made upon her by the engineers. At last we neared the end of our journey, which had occupied a matter of twenty-three days, and had been instrumental in our making many friends on board ship. To us footballers a most pleasant feature was the fact of our landing as fit as the proverbial fiddle, and ready and willing to show the Argentine people how first-class football should be played. Buenos Ayros was reached at 8 .m., and after entering the dock awaited the Government formalies with fortitude.

On landing we were made acquainted with numerous sporting representatives. Press and public were most cordial, and the Council of the Argentine Football Association, headed by Messrs Hugo Wilson, president, and F. Williams, secretary escorted us to the Hotel Metropolis. We only remained five days, no one in the hotel being versed in English. Our stock of French and Spanish had run out. A representation to the A.F.A., however, resulted in our being transferred to the Grand Hotel Castila, immediately oppose, were we remained during our stay in Buenos Ayres. On the very day of our arrival we played Tottenham Hotspur at Palermo Park, the ground of the Sociedad Sportiva Argentina, and both teams drove down to the ground in a special reserved car. After a grand display of football, considering the teams had not regained their shore legs, the game resulted in a draw of 2-2. Balmer with a long drives scoring the first in the first half, and England's centre B.C. Freeman, scoring in the second moiety. The sincerity of both teams was a special feature, all were trier. The match was graced by the presence of the president of the Argentine Republic and his family, and various members of the Government, including the Minister of War and Agriculture, and their families, who all evinced the closest interest and enthusiasm.

At half-time the officials and players of both clubs were presented to the President and his colleague and a hearty British cheer was raised for the president and his party. The playing area was somewhat uneven and hard, owing to recent drought, but played reasonably will. A visit to the Casino Music Hall followed dinner, the entertainment was of the usual Continental quality for want of it, the turns being of great variety, and assorted nationality. A Greece-Roman, wresting competition proved the place de resistance, among the competitors being our Old French friend Paul Pons, who a decade ago wrestled out Tom Canton at Goodison Park. Possibly some of my readers will remember the Frenchman being well beaten on that occasion. He was going strong when we left and had not raised defeat. Out twenty days journey in South America was one continuos round of pleasure, including our football matches. The A.F.A. were unremitting their attentions for our entertainment. We also met a few of our Liverpool friends now resident in Buenos Ayres and we were made honourable members of various clubs and associations. Mr. Pilling of Walton; Liverpool, introduced us to one, the English Literary Society in Calle Cangillo, and Mr. G.H.Clarke, now manager of the Gourock Rope Company in Calle Venezueia, intriduged us to the Club de Pesidentes Estranjeoiss. We were the guests of Mr. Clarke, and also spent a quiet evening in the Brunswick, the recognised English restaurant in Buenos Ayres.

It was most pleased to acknowledge the warning influence of “Hands across the sea” in every direction. The directors of Everton and Tottenham accomplished by the council of the A.F.A. were invited to meet Mr. Hugo Wilson president of the Buences Ayres Jockey Club and we spent a pleasant and profitable afternoon in the commodious and palatial building with its magnificent appointments and internal completeness. The speeches on the occasion were brief and to point being further evidence of the kindly disposition of the Football Council towards ourselves, and those we represented. Mr. WH Jordan present of the Alumni F.C. honoured us with an invitation to his country seat at Temperley, some fifteen miles from Buences Ayros. The entire Everton team and officials met, Mr. Jordan and family and were very generously received. During the afternoon we witnessed some daring feats of horsemanship (unrehearsed). The evolution of several of our famous players in the Mexican cowboy saddles was excruciating funny and grotesque. My Wallasey chum Mr. Wade, demonstrated how battles are won and lost on the tennis courts. Towards evening we were joined by the members of the Alumni Club and took mate in a Paraguayan teapot, arrangement through the spout. This is a cemony similar to the smoking of a pipe of piece. My colleague and self were called upon to visit Mr. Clarke's house in the vicinity and having ties there we had a very pleasant time, the member for Wallasey pulversing his opponents at billiards. We arrived at our headquarters and slept the sleep of the just. Among remaining invitations we all accepted was one from Mr. Fred Brown proprietor of the San Martin Circus and Theatre and enjoyed a capital show. One of the features of theatrical life here is the late start, nine of o'clock. In the present case the entertainment continued until midnight.

On June 15 th we played the Uruguayan League at Monte Video and beat them by 2 goals to 1. JD Taylor (“Our Jack”) refereed, but I do not recommend his being placed on the League list at present unless he can get a move on. Our team did full justice to a substantial lunch prior to the match being started. It told its tale. The “Gate” was splendid. Something like £800 being taken. The result of ours matches was four won and one drawn. The fixture on June 19 th - Everton v Tottenham –was the tit bit of the tour, and both sets of players were in real earnest and bent on victory. There was keen rivalry between the teams for gold medals of the Maltese cross pattern, and, after a most exciting contest, Everton ran out easy winners by 4 goals to nil. Freeman did the hat trick, scoring the first three goals, the third from a penalty. W. Lacey got the last point by a surprise shot. It is strange coincidence that Everton and Tottenham Hotspur should be the pioneers in Continental football and in South America. These clubs are the first to play against each other in two hemispheres. Result up to date against Tottenham as follows: -
1905 at Vienna, Everton won …………2-0
1905 at Prague, Everton won …………1-0
1909 at Buenos Ayres a draw ………………..2-2
1909 at Buenos Ayres Everton won …………4-0
Thus Everton have won three, and have a goal average of 9-2. From an Everton point of view the foregoing results make a pleasant reading proving the club's consistency. They have yet to know defeat on foreign soil after playing thirteen matches. Below are other results of the Argentine tour: -
June 10 v Alumni at Buenos Ayres Everton won………….4-0
June 15 v Uraguayan League at Monte Video Everton won ……….…2-1
June 20 v Argentine League at Buenos Aryes Everton won ………….4-1
During a lull of football we were invited to a day's racing at Palermo. This and other kindred sports gave great pleasure to both teams. Previous to leaving South America we were informed that our visit had been entirely successful. The profit was £300. It is to as a most pleasant reflection that we have contributed something to sport in South America and we venture to hope and trust that our visit will not have been in vain, and that a spirit of emulation will not only be maintained but persevered with. No doubt it will be with such an intelligent class of players, who only require development.

On the eve of out departure from Buenos Ayres we duly recongnised by letter to the A.F.A. our thanks for their kindness. One ventures to predict a progressive time for football at this, the centenary of the Argentine Republic's independence. One is deeply impressed by the wealth and enterprise everywhere manifest. From the present rate of advancement, a twenty days observation of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentine reveals a great future for the Republic. On Friday, June 25 we took up our berths aboard the Royal mail steamer Asturals, commander W. J. Dagnall, having said, good-bye to a large number of friends, including Mr. Hugo Wilson and his Council. Contrary to expectation, we did not sail that day owing to the tide. Indeed it was not until Sunday that we moved down the River Plate homeward bound, in a dense fog, which we slowly left behind, arriving at Monte Video, a distance of 109 miles from Buenos Ayres, the next morning. In the harbour at Monte Video was H.M.battleship Amethyst. To us Britishers the preponderance in this and other ports of the British flag was most gratifying. After a stay of about eight hours we stood out for Santos. Here we passed an excursion party up the mountains to San Paul but, owing to the cloudy weather and other climatic difficulties, got only as far as Alto de Siessia. We returned in quite a downpour of rain. By the way, we were hauled up the mountains by steel cables. On our return the Asturias dropped down the river in charge of a pilot.

We deemed at wise to have another look at the town of Rio, so, R. Balmer, Clifford, Freeman and myself chartered a launch, after much bargaining they expect a lot of money here, and made for the principal streets. The day being exceptionally fine, we thoroughly enjoyed the outing. When we came aboard ship again we were in readiness for dinner in our cosy corner of the saloon. In the evening we departed from this modern city, and arrived at Bahia, 749 miles from Rio de Janeiro. As on the outward journey fever was prevalent and the passengers were advised to remain on board. Still a grand display of fireworks from a most beautiful white building on shore lasted till 11.p.m. At four o'clock the following morning, I believe we again did the anchor trick, and departed for Pernamtrico 387 miles from Balia, and our last all on the Brazilian coast, where we presented ourselves early in the morning, going on deck at nine o'clock and being regaled with the usual shark and whale storiers. The English centre forward was most profuse in his description of his share of the “catch.” The methods of landing the passengers are here, a most novel one. Owing to the heavy surf they were put in large square baskets, and swing into mid air and then lowered into primitive barges and hauled to the town beyond.

We received some spendid samples of Brazilian fruit, and left with a complement of passengers of quite twenty different nationalities, including Val Harris's parrot. We had 2,734 miles to cover before we reached our next port of call. Madeira, a journey of eight days. We settled down for a good time as on the outward journey. July 9 th being the anniversary of the Constitution of the Argentine Republic, our commander proposed, in a speech, Long Life and Prosperity. Dr. Drago replied, I am told. His language was too rapid and complex for our newly acquired tastes. The rest of the evening was spent, as usual in, music and songs. We had the customary carnival, which was voted a great success, although not so well attended as on the outward trip. It had one most gratifying result, J.S. MaConnachie winning second prize, as a Highlander, in a costume made entirely by himself. He looked really what he is every inch a Scotsman. The character was distinctly unique and original. Messrs Wilkes and Tull, of the Spurs, the latter a gentleman of colour won third prize as Cruson and his man Friday. They really deserved their ward. In the sports department Mr. Wade was again among the prizes. He won three on his own, and Messrs. Freeman, Balmer, Mountford, Berry, and MaConnachie also won a few prizes. Last but not least mention must be made John Elliott, our evergreen who was in grand form at the shuffleboard and contended against Mr. Mie the trainer of Tottenham in the final. John rose to the occasion and won hands down. There was a collection of £130 for the purpose of sport, and we were fully in it regarding prizes. We arrived at Madaira and enjoyed a brief stay, and a bullock sleight tide, and then got under way for Lisbon.

We arrived there just too late for the ten o'clock Paris express train. We landed and a few of our people visited the Bull arena. Going on to Vigo we stayed a few hours for the customary giving and taking of passengers. We experienced some fog crossing the Bay of Biscay, which made us late at Cherbourg. From this port we made good progress to Southampton, and thence reached London. (Waterloo). We caught the midnight train for good old Liverpool, where we arrived about six o'clock a.m. In a summary of our ten weeks' tour we are pleased to say Everton Football Club has contributed something to the sport of nations, and in a measure, has broken down many of the old standing prejudice peculiar to foreigners. We were visitors in 1905 to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, and last year to Haarlam in Holland. Undoubtedly our latest visit –to South America –has been the brightest in our wandering. Where we may find ourselves in future years we cannot tell, but a visit to Jerusalem would not be too much to contemplate. When a team has travelled 14,000 miles in ten weeks to introduce and develop first class football, and returns with a clean bill of health, and a clean slate, and at no cost (Our guarantee being ample), it has something to be proud of.

10, Wembley-garden, Orrel Park, Liverpool.

Athletic News - Monday 26 July 1909
Accompanied by the directors, Messrs Bainbridge and Wade, and the trainer, Elliott, the Everton players arrived back in Liverpool on Tuesday after their sixty-three days’ sojourn abroad.  All the men looked fit and well, and though they spoke in high terms of the manner in which they had been treated in South America, they were all pleased to be back once more in England.  On the outward journey the R.M.S Araguaya called at Cherbouig, Vigo, Lisburn, and Maderia, and at the latter place the tourists were treated to some sensational diving by the natives.  So engrossed in these feats was “Watty” White that he disposed of all his loose coins to these divers after wealth, much to the latter’s gratification.  The anniversary of the Argentine Republic’s Independence Day was celebrated on board by a fancy dress ball and other festivities, and Macconnachie gained second prize for the most original costume.  He was arrayed as a Highlander, and looked the part to perfection.  Rio Janeiro was reached on June 30, where both Everton and the “Spurs” were taken ashore and spent the day at Tajuica, situated amongst the hills, to which they were transported by electric cable cars.  From there to Monte Video, and thence to Buenos Ayres, where they arrived after twenty three days travelling.  On reaching Santos the players were besieged by camera carriers, and were welcomed by Mr. H. Wilson, President of the Argentine F.A., members of the Council and Mr. F. Williams, secretary.
“Jock” Taylor, Referee
Under the auspices of the Sociedad Sportiva Argentina, five matches were played by Everton, four of which they won, while one was drawn.  The first game was with the “Spurs” and amongst those present it were the President of the Argentine Republic, and family; members of the Government, including the Ministers of War and Agriculture; and many other notable persons.  At half-time the players and officials were represented to these individuals.  The result of the match was a draw of two goals, the verdict in the other games being –v. Uruguayan League at Monte Video 2-1, v. Alumni 4-0, “Spurs” 4-0, v. Argentine League 4-1.  In a most interesting conversation, Messrs Bainbridge and Wade, gave a vivid description of the tour and the impressions created in the minds of the Englishmen by their visit.  The officials and everyone connected with the Anzentine F.A were unremitting in their hospitable attentions towards the Everton people.  There is no doubt the Everton players made themselves highly popular by the quality of their play and the general manner in which they comported themselves throughout their stay.  The directors and players were installed members of the best clubs in Buenos Ayres, and the President of the Alumni F.C, invited the Goodison contingent to his manson at Temperley, where they were royally treated.  So many invitations were extended to them, reaching even to an offer to stay a fortnight in Choli, that, as Mr. Wade remarked, “We could have remained there for another couple of months, free of expense, had we desired.”  In the match with the Uruguayan League, in which John D. Taylor, Everton’s half-back, was the referee, some keen play was witnessed.  The tourists, however, were sorely handicapped by the lavish manner in which they had just previously been dealt with at dinner, and the poor referee found more than ordinary difficulty in moving about.  ‘Twas a sore trial to many, and the experience was an exceptionally uncomfortable one.  In the final game with the “Spurs” Freeman scored three of the four goals, while Lacey added another, and gold souvenirs in the form of Maltese crosses were awarded the victors.
Freeman! Freeman! Freeman!
Everyone had heard of Freeman, the famous goal-scoring centre-forward, and the spectators expected him to obtain a goal every time he received possession of the ball.  Against the team composed of players from the Local League he secured the ball when yards off-side, and registered a characteristic goal.  “Freeman! Freeman!! Freeman!!! Yelled the crowd, who went into ecstasies over the performance, and when he put in three in the last tussle with the “Spurs” the enthusiasm was unbounded.  It is reported that Freeman developed unexpected piscatorial powers while on board the steamer, and plundered the butcher’s stores for bait wherewith to capture sharks near Bahia.  One of these voracious fish swallowed bait, hook, and line and it is said, would have accommodated Freeman also had he been willing. 
Football in the Argentine.
Messrs Bainbridge and Wade each agree that there are great possibilities in store for football in South America.  Under the controlling influence of such officials as Messrs Wilson, Jordan, Williams, Brown, and others, the game is bound to advance both in popularity and efficiency.  As a body the players have much to learn but they are adepts in assimilating new ideas, and in endeavoring to emulate the best points of the missionary teams that visit them.  At present, their notions tend too much towards individual effort, while combination is at a discount.  When a player obtains the ball he makes off entirely on his own, utterly regardless of one men flanking him, or in the rear.  Yet before the tourists left Buenos Ayres there were evident signs witnessed in the local League games which clearly demonstrated that the tactics common to Everton and the “Spurs” were being copied, and to some effect.  Mr. Wade considered that the teams they played in Argentina were superior to those they met on the Continent two years ago, the defence in every case being particularly sound.  Especially was he struck with the work of the brothers Brown, five of whom play for the Alumni Club, and one, a full back, he estimated as equal to most League professionals.  On the home-ward journey Mr. Wade took an active part in organization sports on board, and over sixteen prizes were won by the Everton men, including three by Mr. Wade himself, and one by Jack Elliott, who defeated the “Spurs” trainer in the final of the “Shuffle-board” competition.  The vocal abilities of Elliott and Balmer were also in evidence both in the Argentine and on the steamer.  Val Harris brought back with him a handsome parrot, whose discordant notes were the only ones raised in the Everton camp from the time the men left the Argentine until their arrival at Liverpool. 
The Result of Tottenham’s Trip
It is just possible that the Tottenham Hotsour tour in South America may be responsible for the introduction into English football of a young Argentine player named Viale, the outside left of the Rosario team.  He played a fine game against the “Spurs” and the chairman of the club, Mr. C.W. Roberts, considers him a most promising player.  He is said to me very speed, and able to control and centre the ball with considerable accuracy.  Viale is anxious to come to England to perfect his scant knowledge of the language and Mr. Roberts made the Argentine youth a provisional often which he may accept.  In chatting with our representative several of the Hotspur players stated that they had an enjoyable time on the trip.  There were places where scant hospitality was extended to them, but for the most part they were well-treated, and were invited to the Jockey and Hurlingham Clubs out there, as well as to the Opera House. The Argentine players have a lot to learn, and evidently the referee have, too, as Tottenham’s young recruit from the North East coast, McConnon can testify.  He was acting as linesman in one match, and when a free kick was given he proceeded to place the ball.  At once he was ordered on the field by the referee and he is still wondering why.  In the same game Minter was threatened with marching orders for standing about ten yards away from the ball, but in front of the man who was about to take a free kick. 
Off The Scent
They have no police in the Argentine for regulating the crowds.  This work is performed by the military, who freely use the flat side of their swords if they want the crowd to move.  It is the “Spurs” what tell the remarkable story of the accommodating prisoner.  The Argentine side was a man short, and the only player capable of playing in the position was in gaol for some major offence.  The Governor of the town was appealed to, and he liberated the prisoner so that he could take part in the match.  The Governor was an interested spectator of the game, and so pleased was he with the display of the liberated prisoner that he immediately gave him his discharge. 
The Spurs trainer had a rather depressing experience at a town some 250 miles inland.  He was moving his baggage in a wagon and when in the wagon the vehicle sunk in mud which was knee deep.  The horses were powerless and a motor having been sent for, it was found to be useless as it could not negotiate the wretched road.  The baggage had therefore to be carried about half a mile through the mud.  But the saddest incident of all occurred at Waterloo Station.  The ex-Burnley forward, McFarlance had brought to England a large bottle of South America perfume, and in the excitement of Waterloo he unfortunately allowed it to fall on the platform.  As the sweet secured liquid trickled away the unhappy Scotsman contemplated the scene with a sad eye and a few muttered words about bad luck and the “girl” he left behind him –in England. 
Alternative at Goodison Park
At Goodison Park the alterations are proceeding apace, and it is now possible to form some idea of the immensity of the double decker stand which is being erected on the Goodison-road side of the ground.  The terracing has been carried all round appearance.  Every spectator will be able to secure an uninterrupted view of the game when all is complete, and it is hoped that new upper-decker will be ready for the opening match of the season. 

July 1909