Everton Independent Research Data



Hull Daily Mail-Wednesday 1 June 1938


Last night Hull City transferred John Leavy Fryer, their star inside-right, to Nottingham Forest. He is 23, scales 12st. 41b., and stands 5ft. 10Jin. Fryer joined Hull City from Wrexham the beginning of last season, and scored 23 goals in 40 games. He was for four seasons at Wrexham, having previously been two seasons with Everton. Fryer has twice been signed on by Mr E. Blackburn, the Hull City manager. He linked with Wrexham during Mr Blackburn's term as manager there, and was again acquired Mr Blackburn on the latter's removal to Hull.


June 3, 1938 Sunderland Daily Echo

Roy Fenton, a 1-years-old full back, who has played in Everton's Central League side, as signed by Port Vale. He stands 5ft 10ins and weighs 12st, 7lb.

June 7, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton In The Final
Aberdeen Beaten At Glasgow
Everton the only English team to survive in the empire exhibition tournament beat Aberdeen 3-2, at Ibrox Park last night and will now meet Celtic on the field on Friday. Although not one of the teams originally invited Everton have proved themselves the pick of the English sides. They had to play much harder against Aberdeen than against rangers, and it was only after a tremendous match of fluctrting fortunes that they won the day. Aberdeen playing with the wind had the best of the first half, but in the second period Everton’s extra strength and stamping told. They scored with a few seconds of the start from Lawton kick off the ball went from Cunliffe to Gillick, the outside right’s shot was punched by Johnston but the ball was deflected into goal by cooper. Aberdeen’s right back. Aberdeen equalized quickly through Armstrong after Jones had failed to clear a cross from smith and at twenty-seven minutes Everton fell behind, when Strasss netted after intense pressure. Everton made their winning thrust immediately after half-time. In five minutes Boyes scored following Johnstone’s failure to hold a corner kick, and five minutes later Lawton from 12 yards, headed the best goal of the tournament from a cross by mercer. Everton’s defence played well to resist Aberdeen’s efforts. There was an attendance of 20,000 the bad weather keeping the crowd away. The referee was A Jewell (London).
Aberdeen, Johnstone, goal; Cooper and Adey backs. Dunlop, Nicholson and Thomson half-backs; Smith, Hamilton, Armstrong, Hume, and Strausis, forwards
Everton, Sagar (t), goal; Cook (w) and Greenhalgh (n) backs; Mercer (j), Jones (tg), and Thomson (jr) (Captain) half-backs, Gillick (t) Cunliffe (jn), Lawton (t) Stevenson (a), and Boyes (w) forwards. Referee A. Jewell (London)

June 7, 1938, Daily Record And Mail
By Brigadier.
Everton qualified at Ibrox last night to meet Celtic in the final of the Exhibition tournament on Friday. Their victory over Aberdeen was gained after a close and keenly-contested match in which the Dons might be considered just a shade unlucky to lose. Defensive errors on both sides led to more than one of the goals, but on the whole the winners were snappier in finishing with Boyes and Lawton always a menace to the Aberdeen defence. In the visitors’ rear Greenhalgh was safe back, and Jones a tower of strength at centre half.
Mercer Excelled.
For forcing the game, no half-back excelled Mercer. He was clever on the ball, and his raids down the right wing always spell danger to the Aberdeen defence. Sagar, like Johnstone, had not a great deal to do, for the skidding ball made accurate shooting difficult. Gillick had some clever movers, but he was often out of position, and as a result, I missed some excellent chances of connecting with the passes meant for him. Little fault could be found with the Aberdeen backs or half-backs. Cooper and Adey kept good positions and showed an excellent understanding.
Clever In Patches.
At centre half, Nicholas repeatedly failed the Everton inside forwards, and he was always trying to force on his own men in front. In patches the Aberdeen forwards played some really clever combined football, with Smith and Hamilton excelling on the right wing. All that was wanted was the scoring touch. Strauss had two chances to save the game, but I cannot say he was greatly to blame for the softness of the pitch made the fast travelling ball very difficult to kill.
Flying Start
Everton were away to a flying start, a goal up within five seconds. Cunliffe took the centre pass from Lawton, enabled through the Aberdeen half backs, and pushed a pretty pass to Gillick. The outside-right evaded Adey’s tackle, and shot low and fairly hard. The ball might have found the net from the shot, but in any case Cooper, with his face to the goal, gave it the wrong touch, and Johnstone was hopelessly beaten. In this unlooked-for reverse, Aberdeen been made a spirited rally, and in six minutes were level. The Everton defence was rather at fault when Smith centred. Jones got the ball on his breast, and deflected it netwards, it would possibly have gone through, but Armstrong was on the spot, and made certain. Coming again, the Aberdeen forwards had the Everton defence in a tangle, and Sagar was lucky to get the ball away from a scramble. Aberdeen’s attack was hitting it off nicely, and when Hume burst through, there looked to be something coming but numbers just beat him. A bit of dazzling wing play between Smith and Hamilton was spoiled by a poor centre by the outside-right man, but Mercer was equally at fault after working the ball cleverly upfield.
Straight Shooting Lacking.
Gillick had a great chance to go through the centre for a shot, but he chose to pass to Boyes and the winger made a poor attempt at scoring. There was a lack of accurate shooting all round, but the skidding ball had something to do with that and with some other minor defects. Aberdeen, however, looked the more likely to go ahead, and it was smart forward play that got them the lead. From Smith’s centre all the inside forwards had a try at netting, but it was left to Strauss to give the deciding tap through. Everton’s attack belied its opening flourish. There was little penetrative power about it, and Johnstone’s job was pretty much a sinecure. Aberdeen’s forwards were much happier on the holding pitch, and Hamilton and Hume especially so. Everton, however, should have drawn level when Boyes put across an accurate centre and Gillick shot for the far corner of the net. Johnstone was hopelessly beaten, but the ball took a curl and hit the post low down. This set the Goodison forwards going better, and Cunliffe went through to deliver a shot which was not far off the mark. There was much thrill in the game, not enough direct attack, and too much passing back by the forwards to the half backs. When any danger threatened from the Everton forwards Nicholson was usually in the way. Until the interval there was never serious danger of Aberdeen losing their lead.
The second half had gone only two minutes when Stevenson should have equalized with the greatest of ease. He had only Johnstone to beat from a few yards but sent the ball weakly wide. It was a let off for Aberdeen, but Everton had one a minute later when Hamilton hit the post. Everton were feeling the benefit of the wind, and it was no surprise when Boyes crashed home the equaliser six minutes after the restart. Gillick placed a corner kick well, but Johnstone failed to clear properly. This gave Boyes his chance, and he took it in finished style. Now the game began to take on a more rosy aspect for Everton, and the Aberdeen defence had not their troubles to seek. Cunliffe, who had come right on to his game, were through like a corner, but Cooper just managed to prevent him getting possession for the shot. The visitors, however, got in the lead for the second time 11 minutes after the restart. Mercer made a forcing run down the right, and when he put the ball across with perfect accuracy, Lawton leapt to it and his header gave Johnstone no chance at all.
Saved At Second Attempt.
Although Aberdeen’s forwards had lost a good deal of their first half cleverness, in making combined advances, they could still stage a spasmodic raid and from one of these Smith came near beating Sagar, who saved only at the second attempt and with difficulty. Smith and Hamilton heartened Aberdeen by a nice quick-passing run which opened up the Everton defence, but Jones intervened in the nick of time. The Aberdeen forwards kept in the game as an attacking force after this but could not quite finish off their work. Everton were quite as likely to increase their lead as lose it. A fine rally by the Dons looked like bringing out something. Twice Strauss run in to connect, but the skid of the ball beat him. Then Armstrong got clear of all the outfield defence. The crowd roared as he raced for goal with all the appearance of equalizing, Sagar, seeing the danger, came well out, and when the shot came, he made a very fine save. Now we were seeing a revived Aberdeen who were fighting bravely, and with much of their former vim. The last five minutes were exciting for both goals had the narrowest of escapes. Boyes, in a raid on the Aberdeen goal, hit the bar with Johnstone in the country. The Dons made a gallant last effort to save the game, but the Everton defence just held out. Aberdeen, Johnstone, goal; Cooper and Adey backs. Dunlop, Nicholson and Thomson half-backs; Smith, Hamilton, Armstrong, Hume, and Strausis, forwards
Everton, Sagar (t), goal; Cook (w) and Greenhalgh (n) backs; Mercer (j), Jones (tg), and Thomson (jr) (Captain) half-backs, Gillick (t) Cunliffe (jn), Lawton (t) Stevenson (a), and Boyes (w) forwards. Referee A. Jewell (London).

June 7, 1938. The Liverpool Echo.
Blackstaff’s Notes.
The defeated Aberdeen 3-2 in the semi-final last night, before 20,000 spectators. Not one of the teams originally invited, Everton have proved themselves the pick of the English sides in the competition. Aberdeen, Johnstone, goal; Cooper and Adey backs. Dunlop, Nicholson and Thomson half-backs; Smith, Hamilton, Armstrong, Hume, and Strausis, forwards
Everton, Sagar (t), goal; Cook (w) and Greenhalgh (n) backs; Mercer (j), Jones (tg), and Thomson (jr) (Captain) half-backs, Gillick (t) Cunliffe (jn), Lawton (t) Stevenson (a), and Boyes (w) forwards. Referee A. Jewell (London) owing to Everton being in the final of the Empire Exhibition Tournament on Friday, the meeting called by the chairman (Mr. W.C. Cuff) and Messrs Baxter, Gates, Percy, \and Turnbull has been brought forward to Thursday, at The Hall, India Building, Water-Street, Liverpool, 7.45 for 8 o’clock. Everton will meet Celtic in the final of the Empire Exhibition Tournament on Friday.

June 7, 1938. Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Everton, the sole surviving English club in the Empire Exhibition football tournament in Glasgow, have gained the right to face Celtic at Ibrox Park on Friday evening in the final. They did this by beating Aberdeen 3-3 in a sensational semi-final last night. Everton have now defeated Rangers and Aberdeen. Celtic reached the final by accounting for Sunderland and Hearts. The Blues were a goal up in 20 seconds against Aberdeen, Gillick’s shot being turned into the net by Cooper. The Dons were on terms through Armstrong in six minutes, the ball bouncing back off Tom Jones, and Strauss put Aberdeen in front before the interval. Boyes equalized in 50 minutes from a corner, and five minutes from time Lawton headed the winning goal after grand work by Mercer, the best player on the field. Everton were the better team, being much stronger at half back in a game of thrills.

June 8, 1938. The Liverpool Echo.
3 Men Accused At Liverpool.
£ A.M. Crash Story.
Traffic Lights Put Out Of Action.
Three Walton men were remanded at Liverpool, today, accused of the theft of a motor car belonging to W. Boyes, the Everton F.C. player, on Saturday night. They were Alfred George Pearce, aged 20, 56 Cowley Road, Frank Douglas Healing, aged 19, 13 Diana Street; and Joesph Lovaine Garbutt aged 23, 5 Goodison Road. Mr. A. Rawlinson, prosecuting, asked for a remand for seven days for further inquires. The car involved was valued at £50 and was loaned by Mr. Boyes to Mr. Andrew Tucker, who left it outside his house, 28 Goodison Avenue, at 11 p.m. on Saturday.
Police Inquires.
When he left the house at 9 a.m. on Sunday, the car had disappeared. The police found that inquiries and been made during the night into an accident at the junction of Queen’s Drive and Walton Hall Avenue, in which the car had been involved. Questioned by police, it was alleged that Pearce said “Yes I took it. I well tell you about it later. Healing said “Yes I had a lot of drink or I would not have done it,” and Garbutt replied “We had been drinking or we would not have done such a silly thing.” The police alleged that each of the men in turn drove the car for varying distances around the outskirks of Liverpool. At 3 a.m Healing was driving the car at 25 to 30 m.p.h round the corner into Queen’s Drive when it crashed into the traffic signals and the switch box controlling the street lighting. Considerable damage was done to the car and the signals, and a section of the Queen’s Drive lights were put out of action. The men were remanded for seven day’s on bail.

June 8, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
How many people expected Everton to reach the final of the Empire Exhibition Soccer Tournament, particularly as they were called upon to meet one of the cracks side of Scotland in the very first round. ? It will be amusing if they spring a surprise and beat the Scottish champions, Glasgow Rangers, in the final tie tomorrow night, for they were not one of the teams originally invited to take part in the tourney. They got their place through the withdrawal of other English League clubs. They have undoubtedly proved themselves the best of the English teams which went into the competition, for Brentford, Sunderland, and Chelsea all felt at the first fence. Chelsea made anything but a name for themselves, judged on the radio talk after their game. Sunderland did quality for a replay but the surprise was the defeat of Glasgow Rangers by Everton. Evan allowing for the fact that the Rangers had one or two reserves in the team. Everton’s display was such that it is more than likely that they would have won through with the Rangers at full strength. I am told by several people who saw that game that Everton gave a brilliant exhibition of high class football, to which even a Rangers’ team had on reply. Against Aberdeen they were not so sprightly. They did not reproduce the snap of cleverness which equalified for the semi-final, but they had a defence which was capital of holding the Dons out after they (Everton) had taken the lead. I know it is asking a big task to beat Celtic in their own town, but I am not pessimistic about the result for if they have set their minds upon winning the Cup they will not go down without a determined struggle. The defence has been playing great stiff and the forwards getting a few goals but from all account it has been the half back line which has been the success of the team. Joe Mercer, they tell me, has had a grand tour. He is in his right place at right half back. Gillick is showing his ain folk that he is still a good footballer notwithstanding the fact that he was in-an-out in the League tournament last season.

June 10, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Blackstaff’s Notes
I have a full shorthand note of the meeting of Everton F.C., shareholders called last night by the chairman of directors of the club Mr. W. C. Cuff and his colleagues on the board but have decided to discard it. I chosen rather to take the gist of the position and fancy myself as the oyster between two lawyers. When I open I shall go to both sides. Mr. Cuff called the meeting to discountenance statements alleged to have been made by the canvassers of the Everton F.C shareholders Association in seeking proxies for their candidates on the board. Those shareholders who have formed the Association are in revolt because not once, but twice they say I their nominations for election to the board have been dubbed “too late” and when the nominations have been admittedly in good time, co-option to the board of other gentlemen not nominated by them has occurred. Mr. Cuff’s interpretation of certain gentleman changing their mind as to support of the co-opted candidates due for re-election in about a week’s time is disloyalty to the club. He also alleged a leakage of information, through a named bowling club, of which one of the directors is a member, a leakage which he holds is arksome to the directors in the performance of their duties. The actual voting for the co-opted members got out in this way. Until the death of Mr. Jack Sharp reduced the board to seven members the chairman’s view and that of his colleagues was against co-option of additional directors, but the floundering state of the club in the league and the diminished number of directors prompted a reversal of view, and two gentlemen were invited and accepted seats on the board. The decision was quoted an unanimous, but in other quarters the actual voting was given. Why, asked the shareholders’ Association, were not nominated shareholders asked to fill the vacancies? There were technical explanations of what happened at a board meeting and in the corridor, that certain motions were not on the agenda and an interchange on when disloyalty among the members off the board began. It was stated that the point went further back then the chairman stated. There were please for democratic government of the club in accordance with the articles of association, and opposition was voiced to the bringing in of members of the board, who were not shareholders at the time. There was an admission of withdrawals of shareholders’ nominations to fit in with a trip to the Canary Islands, and the subsequent co-opted of one shareholder’s nominee. Lastly came the plea for reconciliation of the two sides, fearful that even then the rifts and ruptures in the board room would continued to be apparent on the field of play. This is to be avoided at all costs, and while there is good feeling intermixed with straight speaking in public, but not privileged places, there is hope, that reconciliation will be achieved. The meeting was not so well attended as was hoped, there was no rush to fill in the forms for revocation of proxies, and the answer to all that has been said still lies in the voting for the sis candidates at the annual meeting on June 20. Then on with the game.

June 10, 1938. Evening Express.
Chairman’s Statement To Shareholders.
Allegations that business matters discussed at Everton F.C. board meetings were later divulged to members of a certain bowling club were made at a special meeting of the shareholders called by Everton F.C, directors, at India Buildings, Liverpool, last night. It was also suggested that the football club was in danger of being ruled by members of that Bowling club. Mr. W. C. Cuff, chairman of Everton F.C. directors, presided, and was supported by Messrs T. Percy, R. R. Turnbull, A. Gates, F. Flinn, and Dr. C.S. Baxter. Mr. Cuff referred to the unrest in the club, and said he hoped to the able to refute certain misleading statements which, he alleged, had been made by canvassers who had tried to obtain proxies on behalf of Messrs W.C. Gibbins, G. Evans and R. Williams. “Let me tell you we are here tonight with the sole object of safeguarding the welfare and fair name of the Everton club,” said Mr. Cuff. “The club has been in existence for 60 years. It was built up and has carried on upon foundations of square conduct and it has a reputation for playing the game, he continued. “We are asking and hoping for your help to combat the menace which is at present threatening the welfare of the club.”
The Beginning.
It was a menace, he said, threatened by certain members of the Board. The rift could be traced back to the deaths, some months ago, of two directors, Messrs, Harry Bank and Jack Sharp. When Mr. Banks died the directors decided the question of filling the seat should be adjourned since die. When Mr. Sharp died it was decided to fill the vacancies, as the Board had been reduced to seven, and Everton were in an uncertain position in the League. The names of Mr. Turnbull, Alderman Gates, and Mr. Williams were put forward, and the ballot resulted in seven voting for Mr. Turnbull, four for Alderman Gates, and three for Mr. Williams. Mt. Turnbull was not, at that time, a shareholder, but had been a staunch supporter of the club for 30 years. Mr. Turnbull had been anxious to obtain shares, but could not get them. Alderman Gates, another big supporter, also wanted to become a shareholder. Mr. W.C. Gibbons, a member of the Board, without any inducement, suggested that the vote should be made unanimous. Mr. Turnbull was invited to fill the place of Mr. Banks and was assured of the Board’s united support when he was due for re-election in June of this year; Alderman Gates was invited to fill the place of Mr. Sharp, who had been due to retire in June, 1939. Mr. Cuff added that soon after the new directors had taken their seats there was a Press announcement that the directors had given three votes, for Mr. Williams. At a later meeting of the board Mr. Cuff said he complained of an gross breach of loyalty committed by certain directors in making public the actual voting. “I had my suspicious as to who was the cause of such an act,” said Mr. Cuff “and said such an act of disloyalty would free me from any pledge concerning himself. Mr. Gibbons shortly afterwards admitted that he had disclosed it to the Olympic Bowling Club.”
Bowling Club Reference.
Mr. Cuff said the shareholders’ Association was formed shortly afterwards and it transpired that Messrs W.C. Gibbons and G. Evans allied themselves with it. Messrs Gibbons and Evans, Mr. Cuff alleged, had withdrawn their support from Mr. Turnbull, and in his opinion their action was dishonorable. Mr. Cuff said he had 43 years almost unbroken services with the Everton club. He asked them to believe that if he had not let the club down during that period he was not going to do so now. “There has been lack of unanimity on the board –I am not going to apportion the blame for that –and on more than one occasion I have had to say I would have to reconsider my position. “This club is in more danger at the moment of being ruled and governed by the “Olympic Bowling Club,” he added amid cries of, “No, no. That’s a ridiculous statement. “When the shareholders Association was formed, said Mr. Cuff, practically the whole of the committee members were members of the bowing club. Mr. Turnbull and Alderman Gates also addressed the meeting. Mr. Gibbins, who stood alongside the chairman on the platform, said if the directors promise had been kept, Mr. Williams would have been elected to the board and the Shareholders’ Association would not have been formed. It was because the shareholders had been ignored and their wishes flouted that the Association had been formed. Personally, he had nothing to do with the shareholders’ Association until Mr. Cuff threatened to withdraw his support from him (Mr. Gibbins). Mr. A. Denaro said it was no compliment to the Everton club’s 790 shareholders to go outside to find someone for a seat on the board. Others speakers appealed for harmony on the board. Suggestions were made that the directors should meet the shareholders’ Association with a view to reaching an amicable settlement of differences.

June 11 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton’s Bid Just Fails
Celtic Win By A Goal In Extra Time
Everton made a gallant but unsuccessful attempt to win the empire exhibition trophy at Ibrox park, Glasgow last night. A single goal scored by Crum the Celtic centre-forward after six minutes of extra time had been played. Was the margin by which the Scottish league champions triumphed. A crowd of 82,000, the largest of the series, witness an extremely hard game in which there was an unusual number of injuries. The Everton team was worst hit because Cunliffe, injured in the first five minutes, was for the rest of the game more or less a passenger.
Sound Defence
This was too big a handicap for Everton who in previous rounds had relied upon him for shooting power. The result was that Celtic had the stronger attack, and because of that just deserved to win. In defence Everton were super, and was no fault of theirs that the trophy was lost. Sagar, even when the sun was blinding him was in brilliant form. Cook did well against his old club but the best back was Greenhalgh who had many tussles with Delaney, the Scottish international. TG Jones at centre-half once again gave a faultless display. But mercer on the occasion was more subdued.
The attack was thrown out of balance and Geldard played poorly in place of the injured Gillick at outside right. Everton had the wind un their favour, in the first half, and should have taken the lead, so poor was their shooting, however, that Kennaway had only one save of note when he stopped a drive by Stevenson. Celtic were on top in the second half without being able to break down Everton’s stone-wall defence, and in a breakaway near the finish, Boyes missed an open goal shooting past. The winning goal was scored after Everton had been lured into attack. Divers passed the ball to Crum and, the centre cut to the right before shooting Sagar handled the ball but could not stop it.
‘’Offside goal’’
Everton made many efforts to draw level Boyes, who played in the later stages at inside left, with Cunliffe at outside left, was prominent in a move in which Stevenson eventually netted, but the goal was disallowed for offside. At the finish the players of both sides lined up in front of the grandstand and received from the Earl; of Elgin the replicas of the empire. Exhibition tower which were awarded to both finalists.
Celtic- Kennaway, goals; Hogg, and Morrison backs; Geaton, Lyon and Paterson; half-backs, Delaney, McDonald, Crum, Divers and Murphy forwards.
Everton, Sagar (t) goals; Cook (w) and Greenhalgh (n) backs; Mercer (j) Jones (tg) and Thomson (jr) (captain), half-backs, Geldard (a) Cunliffe (jn), Lawton (t), Stevenson (a) and Boyes (w), forwards. Referee Mr. Thompson (Northumberland).

June 11, 1938. The Scottish Daily Express
Everton Baulked During Thrilling Extra Half-Hour
Celtic 1 Everton 0
By Tommy Muirhead.
The Empire Exhibition Trophy final at Ibrox Park last night had everything –cup-tie fervor, with robust man-to-man exchanges; goalmouth thrills, and an abundance of individual and collective high-grade football. Celtic got the goal that carried the trophy with it in the fifth minute of extra time, Everton, in Rangers’ blue for the day, made it appear for everything like an “old firm” final. And how the crowd enjoyed it. They cheered vociferously everything that was worth cheering, and there was plenty. One could not help feeling sorry for Everton. They made herculean efforts to save the game. An injury to Cunliffe was a definite handicap in attack, but the others pulled out all they had to overcome it. There was not a weakling In either side, but the big men of the match were Lyon (a great general), Crum, and McDonald for the Celtic, and Cook, Mercer, Thomson and Lawton for Everton. Choice of ends meant a lot here with a strong wind blowing, and the sun shining. Celtic were unlucky enough to collect this end. Within a minute two players ran into trouble. Everton went through, Geldard slipped the ball across from the corner flag, and in trying to ram it home Cunliffe went over on his ankle. At the same time Morrison, endeavouring to clear stubbed his foot and was removed behind the goal for attention. Cunliffe hurdled painfully. He subsequently moved out to the right wing before leaving the field altogether while Geldald took up the inside position.
Everton’s Handicapped.
This was obviously a tremendous handicap to the Englishmen, who must have been relying largely on the power and skill of the big inside forward to see them through. During the first quarter of an hour we saw Celtic only in fugitive sort of raids, but on three occasions those forays were cut short by wonderfully crisp clearances by Cook. Cunliffe’s return after five minutes absence was signaled by a powerful Everton thrust; which linked Mercer, Lawton, Boyes, and Stevenson. A subtle slip by the centre forward left Stevenson with a grand chance, but he blazed the ball wildly over. This was definitely a blunder, but the same combination, down the left this time brought another chance to the ex-Ranger and this time he slammed the ball hard into Kennaway’s grasp. Just preceding the effort, however, was the most menacing Celtic raid so far when a simple side-of-the-foot shot from Murphy drifted into goal, and gave Sagar an anxious moment before he cleared.
Cook In Fine Form.
Cook, who was playing the game of his life, cleared up another spot of brother when he cut across, and whipped the ball away from McDonald’s feet, but a moment later only a miracle saved the Everton goal. A Crum-McDonald move left Deleney in front of Sagar. As the outside right was hooking the ball into goal the keeper made a desperate plunge and deflected the ball into the air. Divers got his head to it and the ball went wide to Delaney, who swept it across an empty goal, where it passed Greenhalgh and Thomson before being cleared. While the cup-tie atmosphere was never allowed to fing we were also treated to spasms of really good football. In a furry in the Everton goal Drivers face came in contact with Sagar’s fist. The keeper rose to punch away a free kick by Lyon. The Celt revived after attention behind the line.
Kennaway’s Daring Dive.
Lawton next cut through, emerged from a joust with Lyon with the ball at his feet, but the centre was fouled by a daring dive by Kennaway. In following up Lawton crashed into the goalkeeper who for a second or two seemed to be seriously injured. Celtic were not only holding Everton, they were giving just as much as they were getting in the attacking sense, and it seemed as though they might win easily in the second half. After surviving two Celtic raids within the first minute Everton struck a cohesive patch and by well-conceived movement’s made ventures into enemy territory. They failed to reach Kennaway, however, more because of a proneness to carry the until too far than by any outstanding effort on the part of the Celtic defenders. There was a narrow escape for the Englishmen which Sagar left his goal to deal with Crum, who had collected a Murphy cross. The centre beat him and hooked the ball across, but Thomson from the upright cleared. Although goalmouth incidents over the next half-hour were few and never productive of thrills play was immensely keen and fast. Everton were wielded into a great fighting machine. Their half-back play was terrific. Jones and Thomson put in some grand work to check the Celtic attack which could not evolve a plan to get round this armourplated rearguard. The Everton attack was made ineffective by the crippling of Cunliffe, who had played throughout the second half on the left touch line. Five minutes from the end of the second half Everton almost pulled off a dramatic win, when Boyes sent a great shot sailing inches over.
Extra Time.
In the fifth minute of extra time, after some exciting stuff at both ends, Celtic swept into the lead. Thomason and Jones failed to intercept a long through pass, and Crum festered on, cut out to the right, and shot. Sagar got his hands to it, but could not stop it passing into the net. If all that had gone before was exciting, the thrills that followed this goal simply defy description. With Celtic’s war song sweeping across field. Everton opened out in amazing fashion. It was their death-or-glory bid. Time and again we saw every member of the side with the exception of Sagar, crowding down towards the Celtic goal, but in spite of all this Celtic held tenaciously to their lead for the remainder of this half. An extraordinary misunderstanding between Morrison, Lyon, and Kennaway almost squared matters. Morrison, attended by the pivot passed the ball back to Kennaway, but the keeper had left his goal, and was beaten by the pass, which rolled into the side net. A few minutes later a wonderful spurt, generated by the crippled Cunliffe’, but Boyes right through. The wing men put past Kennaway into the net, put the referee had adjudged the marksman off-side. Celtic- Kennaway, goals; Hogg, and Morrison backs; Geaton, Lyon and Paterson; half-backs, Delaney, McDonald, Crum, Divers and Murphy forwards. Everton, Sagar (t) goals; Cook (w) and Greenhalgh (n) backs; Mercer (j) Jones (tg) and Thomson (jr) (captain), half-backs, Geldard (a) Cunliffe (jn), Lawton (t), Stevenson (a) and Boyes (w), forwards. Referee Mr. Thompson (Northumberland).

June 14, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
I had a chat with Mr. Theo Kelly, the Everton secretary, who had just returned from the Scottish tour. He had many interesting things to tell of the club’s experience, and it is of interest to get directly “home view.” The games against Rangers and Aberdeen over, everyone prepared himself for what was acknowledged Glasgow way to be the severest test, and so it proved. In preparing for the final every assistance was afforded us by the Queen’s Park, Rangers, and Skelmorkie Football Clubs to obtain the best training facilities, and when the players entered the area on Friday night before 82, 761 spectators, they were out to uphold Football League prestige in a supreme effort to bring the trophy to Liverpool. Among the onlookers were the president and secretary of the Football Association and the secretary of the Football League, besides Messrs Cuff, Green, Dr. Baxter, Evans, Percy, and Gates or our own board.
Soccer With The Lid Off
The story of the ultimate result is a stale one, but there has never been a match fought at such a pace for 120 minutes, surely. When Celtic scored, their supporters end of the ground was a sea of flags and papers, whilst the Rangers’ end stood in stony silence for the most part. Then came twenty minutes’ of sustained effort by our team, urged on by Thomson, who was doing the work of a man and a half, in a desperate attempt to equalize –desperation which did not interferes with ideas of class football. It was Soccer with the lid off, and one could sense that had we scored, dynamite would have been only an indoor firework compared to the explosion of feeling that the Everton supporters would have shown. However, it was not to be, but how nearly it was! With two minutes to go, Lawton headed narrowly wide from a difficult chance, with Kennaway yards away. A rousing finish to an ultra-rousing match –a match suited to the occasion in every small detail. We all felt that Cunliffe’s injury cost us the result, for here I would say that we were Celtic’ equal in everything, handicapped as we were. What a reception the teams got as they lined up for the presentation by Lord Elgin! And richly deserved it was. Later in the evening, the unflagging energy that was given to the quest was quite plainly demonstrated by the visible effect on our team, but they went down as heroes and thorough sportsmen.
Looked Down Upon.
Professionals are looked down upon in certain circles because of the money side of the game, but you can better appreciate our feelings of pride in our team when I tell you that Celtic were playing for a winner’s bonus which was very much in excess of that permitted us to pay to our players. Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Mercer, Jones, Thomson, Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. These are the names to remember for they gave English League football the greatest fillip that it can ever have had north of the Tweed. And apart from the field of ply, they created further impressions of goodwill socially and endeared themselves to all with whom they came in contact. The residents of the Skelorlie Hydro Hotel were completely charmed by the manners of the players and spent many an hour talking shop. They joined in a whist drive and expressed their pleasure at what they termed a privilege. When the whistle blew for time up and the presentations had been made the dressing room was just one big camp of disappointment, heartened by the cordial expressions of congratulation and commiseration conveyed by the president of the Scottish F.A, Mr. Douglas Bowie, and many other of Soccer’s famous men.
Marked Difference.
Greenhalgh got the ball and had it autographed by all who mattered, and it understand that it is his intention to present it to New Brighton F.C., Supporters Club, for the ultimate benefit of his old colleagues. There was one marked difference between the players and the Scottish opponents during the tourney. Rather should I say two. Firstly out backs in clearing had a better eye on combination with the man in front, and most marked was the greater readiness of our forwards to shoot from any angle and any distance. This latter difference will help you to realize that the loss of a shooting forward like Cunliffe probably cost us this international championship. The Scots set themselves out to show us that nothing they could do to assist us would be too much trouble. Will Struth and the directors and staff of the Rangers. President KcKechnie and Bert Manderson, of Queen’s Park Club. Scottish F.A. Mr. Simpson, the financial secretary of the competition; the administrative staff of the Empire Exhibition, all of these and my others did their utmost to make us feel that we were not among strangers, and they succeeded in making the trip a memorable one, only marred by last minute failure to the conquerors. But it was a glorious failure.

June 22 1938, The Liverpool Daily Post
A further move in the Everton football club, directorial ‘’war ‘which led to a split in the board, and the election of the new chairman at the recent annual meeting has been taken yesterday by the minority section of the directors in the issue of a circular relating to the proposed alteration in the method of voting at a shareholders meetings. The suggested alteration which will come before an extraordinary general meeting of shareholders on august 12 for approval, proposes to give every shareholder one vote for each share held. As against the present system of one vote up to 20 shares and two votes for any holding over 20. It will not in any way, however deprive shareholders of their existing season tickets privileges. Under the signatures of messes’ C.S. Baxter, W.C. Cuff, A. Gates, and T. Percy, the minority section of the board a circular was sent to shareholders yesterday expressing disagreement with the suggested alteration. ‘’the intention has always been’’ the circular continues’’ to spread over as many shareholders as possible and as equally as possible the right of exercising their votes, but under the method now suggested it is obvious that the accumulation of a larger number of shares by a limited number of individuals would result in their obtaining control of the voting and thereby seriously jeopardizing the rights of the smaller shareholders. ‘’in addition there is no doubt that the present system taken on the whole, works for more equitable than the suggested new method would operate. ‘’it is true that while at the moment a shareholder holding three shares has only one vote, which would become three votes a shareholder with nineteen shares also at the moment has one vote but would under the new method receive nineteen votes against the smaller shareholder’s three. It will therefore, be seen that a shareholder holding nineteen shares acquires voting strength in excess of six shareholders holding three shares each.
‘’under these circumstances we, not only as directors of the club but also as shareholders, interested equally with yourselves urge you to very carefully scrutinize the new proposals placed before you, and should you decided to collaborate with us on our opposition to the proposed alteration to attend
If all possible, the meeting on august 12 next to register personally your vote. If this should not be convenient we urge you to sign and return the enclosed proxy in order that your vote may be recorded against the proposed alteration. The proxy accompanying the circular is made out in favour of Dr. C.S. Baxter and Mr. C.W. cuff.
The point of view of the majority section of the directors were outlined by Mr. W.C. Gibbins, in the absence on holiday of the chairman (Mr. Green), in an interview, ‘’the only reason for the proposed changes,’’ said Mr. Gibbins, ‘’is to guard against any one person or any particular section gaining control of voting power. ‘’at the present moment there are approximately 720 votes, any person who obtains a substantial block and splits them up into one obviously has in his control a weapon of considerable power to influence the policy of the club in any desired direction. By making it one vote per share the voting strength will be increased to 2500 thus cutting down the margin of power which any one person can wield. ‘’it means, in short that the shareholders themselves will control the affairs of the club, which is as it should be and as we want it to be. That is our sole object in bringing forward this resolution and we confidently appeal to all shareholders for their support.’’

June 28 1938, The Liverpool Daily Post
Bolton wanderers have signed Albert Geldard Everton’s English international outside-right. The fee is believed to be in the neighborhood of £7,000. Geldard joined Everton in 1932 from Bradford park avenue, for whom he first played at the age of 15. The same season as his transfer to Everton Geldard was in the cup-winning side. He has played for England against Italy, Switzerland and Ireland. Geldard is 5ft and weights 11st 4lbs. During the past six seasons Geldard made just 200 league appearance in the Everton side, and has scored 37 goals. One of his best representation he has performances was in the international league team last winter against the Irish league at Blackpool when he played so brilliant that he was automatic choice for the international ten days later. He scored a goal on his debut for Everton against Middleborough on November 19 1932. He is 24 years of age. This leaves Everton with Gillcik as first choice for outside-right, the position in which he is most at home unless there is a further strengthening in this direction with Boyes in the opposite wing.

June 1938