Everton Independent Research Data


June 1, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool 2, Everton 2
Clever Forwards at Anfield
Fast and clever forward play featured the League meeting of Liverpool and Everton at Anfield that ended in a draw of two goals each, a result to the satisfaction of most of the crowd of 6,000. From start to finish it was a thrilling and fast struggle, with the extremes wing men Hanson and Liddell (Liverpool) and Boyes (Everton) playing a prominent part throughout. With the forwards in such excellent form the defenders were naturally at full stretch, and Seddon, Lambert, Spicer, Cook and Hobson did much grand work in the home defence when Everton were attacking most, while Lovett, Cook, Watson, and Jones stood out for Everton when Liverpool got on top later. Everton took the first half honours when they did most of the attacking and obtained the lead after 15 minutes through Mercer, who leapt high into the air to head home from Boyes’s corner kick as Hobson reached for the ball, while the goalkeeper was fortunate not to be beaten again when Catterick caught him out of position, but saw Lambert clear off the line. Liverpool took up the running after the interval, and within two minutes had drawn level when Liddell cleverly hooked the ball beyond Lovett after a fine run and centre by Hanson. It was left winger who was also responsible for Liverpool taking the lead, for it was a perfect Hanson centre that enabled Done to score in 69 minutes. Undismayed by this sudden turn around, Everton rallied again and got their reward when Bentham who had changed places with Mercer, beat Hobson from close range ten minutes from the end. Throughout the whole of the ninety minutes there was not a dull moment, and all the players are to be congratulated on serving up a grand display, which if appeared in the return game at Goodison Park today, will satisfty everyone. Liverpool:- Hobson, goal; Lambert and Seddon, backs; Kaye, Cook, and Spicer, half-backs; Liddell, Paisley, Done, and Hanson, forwards. Everton:- Lovett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.) and Watson, half-backs; Boyes, Mercer, Catterick, Stevenson and Lyon. Referee; Mr. J.M. Brown (Ormskirk).

June 2, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log.
Apparently the prevailing conditions cannot take the glamour away from Merseyside “Derby” clashes between Liverpool and Everton. The rivals came together at Anfield on Saturday, and brought a rousing 2-2 draw –the only draw of the day. There was a refreshing bite about the proceedings and plenty of good football. Yes and the result was a pretty fair reflection I am assured by Watcher. Liverpool fought back gradually after being behind to Joe Mercer first half goal, to take a goal lead per Billy Liddell and Cyril Done, who are the Reds’ regular scorers these days. Stan Bentham saved the day for the Blues, when he was fortunate enough to get a record chance, with the opening after once being crowded out.

June 3, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 3, Liverpool 1
Liverpool Finish With Nine Men
By Ranger.
Liverpool, beaten 3-1 in their return game with Everton at Goodison Park yesterday, were dogged by ill fortune, and finished the last fifteen minutes of the game with nine men. Leading 1-0 at half-time through a goal put into his own net by T.G. Jones, Liverpool lost Hanson ten minutes after the resumption. The Chelsea winger having the misfortune to dislocate his left knee. The accident happened in most simple fashion, and nobody was to blame. Hanson had closed in towards the middle to anticipate a centre from the opponents wing. When it came it was almost out of reach and in making an effort to connect with the ball Hanson collided with the Everton keeper and fell awkwardly. He was carried off on a stretcher and taken to Walton hospital. Liverpool battled on bravely with ten men, but when Boyes had equalised four minutes after Hanson’s departure, the game went all one way. Boys added a second from a corner at the half-hour and within a minute Jackson made it 3-1. Liverpool never gave up, in spite of the heavy odds against them, and in the closing stages, Liddell had a grand chance to reduce the deficit but shot too hurriedly.
Everton’s Weak Forwards
The first half hour’s football was excellent with both sides serving up good combined moves, though these were spoiled at times by erratic shooting. Later the game became rather scrappy, and in the second half, when Seddon, collided with Kaye, had to go off twelve minutes from the end with a cut forehead, the interest evaporated. Liverpool were well served in attack by Polk whose passes were always well placed, and Done, who had speeded up considerably of late, Liddell was poorly supported and got few chances. Lambert had a tricky customer to watch in Boyes, and the duels between the two were always interesting. Everton’s defence was excellent. Greenhalgh in particularly being outstanding while Lovett kept goal confidently and well. The forward line once again was the weakest department with Boyes the best of the bunch. Jackson is not the answer to the centre-forward problem, though he played quite creditably. Simmons is still too inclined to over-elaboration. Everton:- Lovett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (T.G.) and Hill, half-backs; Boyes, Simmons, Jackson, Owen, and Lyons, forwards. Liverpool:- Hobson, goal; Seddon and Lambert, backs; Kaye, Cooke and Spicer, half-backs; Liddell, Farrow, Done, Polk, and Hanson (Chelsea), forwards.

June 3, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Merseyside’s football finale, for season 1940-41 –staged at Goodison Park yesterday, where Everton beta Liverpool 3-1 –was marred by an unfortunate accident. Before the game, I had a chat with Alf Hanson, the Chelsea and former Liverpool outside-left, who was turning out for the Reds as a “guest” player and he assured me everything in the garden was lovely. He hastened away to strip. An hour later Alf was being carried off the field on a stretcher. Dr. Davies, the Everton Doctor, rushed from the directors box to attend to Hanson, and found Alf had sustained a lateral dislocation of the left knee. The player was hurried away to Walton Hospital, where he will remain for some days. It was bad luck. Alf had been given a warm welcome back, and once again in the red jersey he became a menace to the Blues. It was his fast low centre which Tommy Jones turned into his own goal to give Liverpool the lead in 30 minutes. Later on young Jimmy Seddon, the Reds right back was sent to the dressing-room by another simple accident. Seddon and Cooke went to head away at the same time. Their heads collided and Seddon had to have stitches in a wound on his forehead.
Everton Lead Again.
Everton’s win was their fourth at the expense of Liverpool this season, and it means that for the second war season the Blues finish up leaders among the Merseyside clubs. The Reds go to Preston North End on Saturday for their final test, but they cannot now hope to overtake the Goodison club. One would not have suspected by yesterday’s game that it was an end of the season one. It had all the fire and earnestness one usually expects from the Blues –Red meeting. I came away with the fixed conclusion that both clubs have prospected well during these war days. They have a fine array of young talent. It augurs well for the future. Lambert, Spicer, Polk, and Seddon of Liverpool, and Hill, Owens and Lyon, of Everton definitely are stars in the making. Of course, Liddell and Done were always taking the eye, but curiously enough I think this was the first time that neither had scored in a game in which both have participated. Liddell was consistently good, and Done in opinion, goes on improving Lambert was, however, Liverpool’s outstanding player. He never put a foot wrong and remember he was up against Wally Boyes. Spicer was deliously artistic. Jack Lyon again took my eye in the Everton ranks. The lad simply cannot miss. Owens made Lyon a diligent partner, and behind them was the improving and industrious Hill. Just a word to Simmons and Polk a couple of promising inside forwards. Greater speed in parting with the ball will prove a valuable attribute. Liverpool were more thrustful side in the opening half, when the Blues were more methodical then menacing. Boyes turned the tide with two snap goals, and then George Jackson cracked home a beauty from centre forward to make his “bag” against the Reds this season into a nap hand.

June 3, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Log
Though Everton defeated Liverpool in their return game at Goodison, yesterday, the Anfield side put up a good show under the circumstances, and considering they finished the game, with only nine men on the field, the result did not disgrace them. Bad luck, befell Alf Hanson, the Chelsea and former Anfield winger, who sustained a dislocated knee following a collision with Lovett, the home goalkeeper, and was taken to Hospital, I trust that he will soon be fit again, and that the injury will be followed by no advance after effects. The accident happened in quite a simple manner, and nobody was in any way to blame. The first half provided some entertaining football, in which the forwards on both sides moved nicely into the open spaces and passes generally were well placed, but later the game became rather scrappy, and though there were some exciting incidents, play was not on the same plane. Tommy Jones, who joined the R.A.F this week-end, had the doubtful distinction of ending the season by scoring against his own side the only goal of the first half. Later Boyes got a couple and Jackson one, when Liverpool had only ten men. Hanson having been carried off on a stretcher twelve minutes after the resumption. With ten minutes to go Kaye and Seddon came into violent collision with their heads, and for a moment it looked as though both were badly hurt. Fortunately Kaye was all right, but Seddon had to retire with a badly cut forehead.
Leadership Problems
This was my first view of young Seddon, at full back. The lad has good possibilities and is an earnest and wholehearted worker, but is not robust enough yet for a gruelling ninety minutes. Done has improved considerably. Polk’s passes in the first half were excellent, while the Liverpool half-back line stood up manfully to its task until the side was reduced to nine men, Everton’s centre forward problem still remains, for, while Jackson fills the bill as well as anybody could expect from a full back he is not the permanent solution. Simmons will be a bigger asset when he cuts out unnecessary elaboration. The defence, if the same one is available next season, causes no anxiety. Liverpool are due at Preston this weekend, and as Everton have completed their programme, Mr. Will Gibbins sportingly offered the Liverpool directors the loan of any available Everton player if the Reds have difficulty in completing their side.

June 4, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Jones, Everton’s Welsh international centre-half is due to rejoin the Royal Air Force this week-end, but before he finally leaves civilian life he may have the honour of playing for Wales in the international match against England and Cardiff on Saturday. It is hoped that he can have his reporting time, put back a couple of hours to enable him to play for his Country. Tommy was prevented by injury from playing against England at Nottingham, and Bert Turner, of Charlton Athletic and Liverpool deputised.

June 7, 1941. The Evening Express
League Meets On Monday
The football schemes for 1941-42 will be decided on Monday, when the annual meetings of the Football League and the Football Association takes place at Nottingham. The clubs have had the League scheme under consideration for some days, and yesterday Secretary Mr. Fred Howarth was in a position to know which clubs intend competing. The President Mr. Will Cuff, of Everton F.C., will outline the scheme to the clubs at the annual meeting and then the clubs will have the chance of making suggestions. There is no doubt that the London clubs, though their spokesman, Mr. George Allison, of Arsenal, intend making some proposal. They went to run their own London Cup in the second half of the season. The League scheme provides for North and South Leagues on points basis for the first half of the season –the League making fixtures –and a combined League and Cup competition for the second half of the season. The League competition will act as a Cup qualifying competition up to March 7; clubs making their own fixtures for ten matches and positions decided on goal average. The leading 32 clubs will quality for the Cup competition which is due to begin on March 14 on the home and away principle. The League has made an urgent appeal to the clubs to carry on stating that the Management Committee is strongly of the opinion that it is the duty of all clubs to keep the structure of the League intact during these difficult days even at some cost to themselves. I do not think that appeal will go unheard.
Mr. Cuff Unopposed
There will be no opposition to Mr. Will Cuff for the honoured post of President. No one anticipated any. It will be Mr. Cuff’s third year in office.

June 10, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Mr. W.C. Gibbins, chairman of Everton F.C., raised the point of the temporary transfer of players to Scottish and Irish clubs, and said that under the present arrangement it was not possible for any player on a temporary transfer to play for his own club without a re-transfer back. He moved that all players should be able to play for their parent club at any time without the necessity of being transferred back. Mr. Cuff said the point had been in the mind’s of the Management Committee in the said a conference had been arranged to discuss the whole matter. Good it is one of the big points which needs clearing up. The Everton suggestion that the price of admission for boys be reduced to 4d was not seconded. A lot of ground was covered at the meeting to which I travelled with Mr. Gibbins, Mr. Theo Kelly, the Everton secretary and Mr. Ike Robinson the Liverpool County F.A secretary.

JUNE 19, 1941. The Evening Express
By Pilot Notes
Shareholders of Everton Football Club can look forward to receiving the annual report and balance sheet in about 10 days time. The annual meeting has been fixed, provisionally, for Friday, July 11 – a week after Liverpool annual gathering –and the three retiring directors –Messrs W.C. Gibbins, the chairman, G. Evans, J.P. Gibbins, the chairman, G. Evans, J.P and W.R. Williams, who will not be opposed –will be re-elected for another three years. Shareholders will have the opportunity of welcoming back Mr. Ernest Green, the former Chairman, who was unable to attend last year’s meeting because of the F.A. ban.
Blue’s Distinction.
No word is to hand as to how Everton fared last season, but there is one thing which gives the club a distinction so far as wartime football is concerned. Everton is the only club in the Football League to have gone through two whole seasons without calling on a single “guest” player. During 1939-40, of course they were fortunate in that all their regular players –or practically all –were in the district, but during the season just closed their players were scattered. Even so, Mr. Theo Kelly, the energetic secretary, week after week got together teams from Everton signed players. He courageously gave all the youngsters a chance with the first team, and in addition he was able to loan players to other clubs on occasion. There was a day near the end of the season when Mr. Kelly thought that he would have to break his record and include a “guest” player, but at the last minute he found himself able to complete his team from his own players, and so the record remained intact. Halifax Town came nearest to Everton. They played only one “guest” player.

June 21, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
It is interesting to note that “Torry” Gillick, Everton’s international winger, who lost his place in the Rangers side for a spell has come right back to his best, not as a winger, but as centre-forward. Since playing for Scotland against England he has taken over the leadership of the Ibrox Park attack, and with tremendous success. He has scored in every match from the position. In Scotland, it is confidently expected that Gillick will lead Ranger’s to yet another triumph –the winning of the Scottish Summer Cup. Rangers of course, have the League Scottish Cup and Glasgow Cup added to their long list of honours. No Everton follower will be surprised at Gillick’s success as a centre-forward. “Torry” has always shown an aptitude for “drifting” –yes “drifting” is the right word –to centre forward to deceive the opposition and snap up the quick pass. No one can even forget Torry’s quick step inside and strident shout for the ball as he became temporary centre-forward.
Mid-week Soccer Next Season?
The Football League Management Committee and the F.A. ought to get together on the question of mid-week football for next season. Unless there is a relaxation of war-time rule banning mid-week games, I can visualise congestion again during the months of January and February. The programme as outlined by the League at the annual meeting means that every Saturday in the season will be occupied either by a league of cup game. So far, I cannot see that any provision has been made for postponed of abandoned games or for replays. The way out is to allow mid-week games.

June 24, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Several Scottish League clubs are hoping to secure permission to play Jimmy Caskie, the Everton Scottish international winger, who played for St. Mirren right up to the time of the F.A., ban. Jimmy has not had a game since he was debarred from playing with the Paisley club but Falkirk and Hibernian have both expressed a desire to play him. Falkirk, I knew have already contacted Everton with a view to securing the necessary temporary transfer. I did hear a whisper that Jimmy wanted to join his Everton colleagues, Torry Gillick, with Rangers at Ibrox Park, I suppose that is only natural. My hope of course, is that wee Jimmy, one of soccer’s outstanding personalities will be available for Everton next season. Rest assured that if it is at all possible Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly will bring him down.

June 26, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
I mentioned two days ago that Scottish clubs were lining up to secure the services of Jimmy Caskie, Everton’s international winger, who until recently played with St. Mirren. Falkirk were first in the field, but it was inconvenient for Caskie to play at Brockville. Hibernian then secured Caskie’s consent to play and wrote to Everton for the transfer. Everton decided to contact Caskie first and so wee Jimmy will not be playing for the Hibs this week, and I would stake a bit that Caskie plays with his own club next season.


June 1941