Everton Independent Research Data


June 1, 1942. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool 4, Everton 1
Liverpool Beat Everton
By Ranger.
The meeting of Liverpool and Everton in the Liverpool Senior Cup final at Anfield provided a thrilling finish to the season’s programme with Liverpool emerging worthy winners by 4-1. So keen and determined were both sides and so packed was the game with thrilling incidents that it savoured more of the opening than the closing of the season. Liverpool were definitely the better side in the first half when Everton, handicapped partly by an injury to Harry Jones, were over-played. But for quite a lengthy period in the second half the boot was on the other foot and Liverpool had long spells on the defensive. The difference between the attacks was the secret of Liverpool’s success. Every forward on the home side was ready to shoot when the opportunity offered, whereas Everton were content to leave nearly all their shooting to Lawton. Although inadequately supported, Lawton worked hard and got in some characterised shots, but generally speaking, he was overwhelmed by weight of numbers and by the excellent covering of Woodruff, who played a grand game at centre half.
Lawton’s Drive
One of Lawton’s efforts is worthy of special mention; it was a lightning drive taken on the half-turn with the ball waist high, and delivered with terrific power. Hobson made a great save. Liverpool were three up in half an hour through Wharton, Done, and Carey, added to which McLaren put in two efforts which seemed certain goals until Burnett popped up with wonderful save. Lawton reduced the lead just before the interval with a splendidly headed goal from Owen’s centre. The early period of the second half was notable for some brilliant goalkeeping by Burnett and Hobson. On the opposite side of the account were several missed chances. Liverpool were well served by their borrowed players. Woodruff, already mentioned, was the best half on the field; Owen, of Tranmere, who has always put up a grand show on this ground, added further to his reputation, while Wharton was brilliant on the left wing. Shankly and Kaye were sound, and the inside forwards were good. Done worried the Everton defence by his usual persistency, but frequently failed to get the ball under control quickly enough to make the most of his chances.
Burnett Confident
Everton were not the side they have been in their last couple of games. The attack missed the genius of Soo, and the half-back line was weakened by Jones’s lameness. The wing halves and the backs kept up a stout front under Liverpool’s pressure and forceful tactics, but the real honours of the day went to Burnett in goal, who is now back in his most confident mood. Owen contributed some good work at outside right and Lawton did all that could be expected of him against heavy odds. Attendance 13,761, receipts £815. Liverpool:- Hobson (Chester), goal; Gutteridge (Aston Villa) and Owen (A.) (Tranmere), backs; Shankly (Preston), Woodruffe (Burnley), and Kaye, half-backs; Liddell, McLaren (Preston), Done, Carey (Manchester United), and Wharton (Preston), forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Jones (JE), backs; Bentham, Jones (H) (West Brom), and Keen (Derby), half-backs; Owen (W), Mutch (Preston), Lawton, Stevenson and Watson, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Bennett (Liverpool).

June 1, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There were two or three lessons to be learned from the Anfield game of pre-war vintage First was that Tommy Lawton is far and away Britain’s greatest centre-forward. His display as leader of a rather disjointed line was positively dazzling –as good as Billy Dean at his best. No, that praise is not a whit too high. We used to say there would never be another Dean. Well, another has been born without doubt. Another lesson was that no side can succeed if sense of position is lacking. Everton lost because position was left to look after itself too much, and because Liverpool had the players who can draw 100 per cent profit from these mistaken tactics. In the first half Liverpool gave a grand display of direct accurate football during which Wharton, Done and Carey got goals to place them in an almost unassailable position, Everton never touched the sparkle of the Reds, who developed their attacks quickly and who carried them through with refreshing throughout. Granted that Everton were handicapped by an early injury to Harry Jones at centre-half but there was no denying the deadiness of the Liverpool force. Lawton reduced the lead before the interval with a perfect header to give the Blues a fighting chance. Yes, and Everton battled back after the interval as if the deficit were “nothing to them.” It was their turn to call the tune, and for a long periods Liverpool were thrust back on the defence, but did they defend? I’ll say.
Hint To Scotland.
It took Liverpool a long time to finally crush Everton in the second half, but they ran through to a deserving win against a side handicapped through that poor positional sense, the injury to Jones and the fact that Soo, did not appear, I thought it a pity that Liverpool did not offer Everton the services of Carey as deputy for Soo, as Fred Haycock turned up eager to play. Everton’s attack suffered through the forced shuttle especially as Keen failed to strike from behind Stevenson and Watson was a square peg in a round hole. And why did Everton throw all the defensive work on injured Jones later on. This was a fine Liverpool combination and it was rather a pity the Scottish selectors were not represented, for I feel sure that in the McLaren-Liddell combination they would have seen Scotland’s right wing of the future. True, Liddell was handicapped by injury, but they made a brilliant due and the more I see of McLaren the more convinced I am that he should step into the Scottish team. Rarely have I seen a player who moves to the open space to enterprisingly or who passes to the open space with such precision. I liked the delicacy of the Carey-Wharlton wing, and with Woodruff proving a rare obstacle to the menacing Lawton, Shankley and Kaye were able to gave the attack full and judicious support throughout. To back it all up. Gutteridge and Athur Owen, of Tranmere, were intrepid backs, with Hobson as sure in his work as was Burnett in the Everton goal. This was a game of super-goalkeeping. Yes, Liverpool were the masters of ball and position. Although Everton had the spirit they lacked the vital qualities. Wally Owen, Stevenson, Jack and Harry Jones, Burnett and the zealous Bentham were fine, with Lawton the “daddy” of the lot, but there was that something lacking. Curiously enough, one of the greatest things in a great game drawing 13,761 spectators was a wonder 20 yards shot by Lawton in the first half which, literally crashed into the roof of the net as he hit it on the turn but which was disallowed –and –rightly –for an infringement. The picture of the shot will always live in my memory. Yes, a joy day made more pleasant by the judicious handling of Referee Mr. Jim Phillips. He took the job at the last minute and did it jolly well.

June 1, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Lawton’s Special.
It is a long time since any season went out with such a hectic ending as Saturday provided apart from the League London and Lancashire Cups, the Liverpool Senior Cup provided a brilliant finale for Merseyside enthusiasts. There was none of that end-of-the-season readiness we used to get in the old days when there was nothing at stake. It was more like the opening of the season than the close and with both sides fighting hard to win the fifth and deciding Liverton meeting there was any amount over which the spectators could, and did, enthuse. Liverpool were worthy winners, for they had much of the better of the first half, and though Everton were on top for a long spell, in the second portion, their finishing, bar Lawton’s was never in the same class as Liverpool’s. Some of Lawton’s shots were in his best vein, but he was too weakly supported to have much chance against Liverpool’s solid defence, in which Woodruff was outstanding. He got one goal to offset Liverpool’s four and put in one smashing effort which most folk with long remember. It was a terrific drive, on the half-turn from a difficult bouncing ball, waist-high which demanded almost a conteriously skill to hit at all. Liverpool won because they shot on every possible occasion, whereas Everton’s forwards for a long spell seemed to regard hooting as the sole prerogative of Lawton. When they did wake up they found Hobson in brilliant form. So, too was Burnett, and the goalkeeping on both sides was a notable feature. Liverpool were served by all their guest players, and by none more so than little Owen the Tranmere back, who always puts up a good show on this ground. It was a fitting finale to the season, fought out in such clean sporting fashion that Referee Phillips who took the middle at short notice and handled the game well, had his task made easier.

June 4, 1942. The Evening Express.
There will be election this year for seats on the directorate of the Everton Football Club. The retiring directors, a former director and a new comer will be elected to the three vacancies at the annual meeting to be held early in July. All other nominations have been withdrawn, leaving the following elected unopposed; Mr. Williams C. Cuff, of Bellevale Cottage, Bellevale-road, Gateacre, Councillor R.E. Searle, of Blairgowrie, Ruff-lane, Ormskirk, and Mr. R.R. Turnbull, of Hoveden, Dowhills-road, Blundellsands. During the past few months the club has suffered the loss, through death of directors Mr. Andrew Coffey and Alderman, Alfred Gates, who would have retired, automatically with Mr. Cuff this year. The vacancies created by their deaths will now be filled by Messrs Searle and Turnbull. There is general satisfaction among all connected with Everton that an election, especially in these difficult times, has been avoided. It shows that Chairman, Mr. W.C. Gibbins and his directors, have the complete confidence of all concerned.
Brilliant Record.
Mr. Cuff has a truly brilliant record with the Everton club. He is one of the few surviving original shareholders and this year will celebrate 47 years service with Everton in various capacities. Apart from three years, from 1918, Mr. Cuff has given uninterrupted service since 1892. Besides being a director he was secretary for some time and chairman from 1922 to June 22, 1938, when he was succeeded by Mr. Ernest Green. Mr. Cuff, is Britain’s leading football legislator, for besides being a member of the Football Association he has been president of the Football League since June 1939, when he succeeded Mr. Charlie Sutcliffe. Mr. Cuff is president of the Central League and is a member of every import football body. Councillor Searle is a leading Liverpool manufacturer, and represents Walton Ward on the City Council. Dick, as he is known throughout the sporting and political worlds, has been a lifelong supporter of Everton and was the prime mover in the formation of the Shareholders Association in 1938. In recent years he was acquired several blocks of shares and today ranks as one of the leading shareholders from the enthusiasm and holding points of view. Mr. Searle is a straight-shooter, a “dyed-in-the-wool” Evertonian, and bubbling over with enthusiastic energy.
Promise Fulfilled
The return of Mr. Turnbull to the legislative side of football means that a promise given four years ago has been fulfilled. Mr. Turnbull is a prominent figure in Merseyside shipbuilding circles and as keen as “mustard” on soccer and Everton in particular. Mr. Turnbull was co-opted to the Everton Board on February 22, 1938, with Alderman Gates, but had to seek re-election at the 1938 annual meeting because the director whose place he filled was due for retirement. That coincided with the first active year of the Shareholders Association. Messrs W.C. Gibbins and G. Evans also retired by rotation and they, with Mr. Turnbull, were re-nominated. They were opposed by Messrs W.R. Williams, F.S. Flinn, and C. M. Dolby, but at the annual meeting it was announced that Messrs Turnbull, Flinn, and Dolby had withdraw , so that the two retiring directors and Mr. Williams, nominee of the Shareholders were declared elected without going to the vote. Afterwards all parties concerned gave an assurance that Mr. Turnbull should be returned to the board at the first opportunity. Now that undertaking has been discharged and Mr. Turnbull goes back with Mr. Cuff, and Mr. Searle with our good wishes.

June 4, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Withdrawals avoid Contest
Ranger’s Notes
The death of Mr. Andrew Coffey and Alderman Gates leaves two vacancies to be filled on the Everton F.C., board at the annual meeting, and for these nominations have been received in favour of Mr. Dick Searle and Mr. Roberts Turnbull. Other nominations were lodged with the club, but in order to avoid an election the other nominees have since withdraw their names, so that Messrs Searle and Turnbull will now go forward unopposed. Mr. Dick Searle, who is a clothing manufacturer in business, and a member of the City Council for Walton Wards, is well known in sporting circles in the city, and was the prime mover in the formation of the Everton Shareholders Association, of which he was chairman for a short while and has since been vice-chairman. He was the originator of the “sun penny” scheme run by the association, and it is chiefly due to his persons efforts that a large number of poor children from the Everton neighbourhood have been sent away each summer for a week’s free holiday in the country. He has been following Everton, for close on half a century and has always been one of their staunchest supporters. Mr. Turnbull was on the Everton club board for a short period just before the way being co-opted with Alderman Gates to fill vacancies caused by the death of Messrs Jack Sharp and Harry Banks. When he was due to took re-election, however, as the Shareholders Association intimated their intention to oppose him, Mr. Turnbull withdrews. It was made clear at the times that the association’s opposition was not on personal grounds, but simply on a matter of principle and as a protest against the board’s action in co-opting directors without references to the shareholders. Mr. Turnbull was unfortunates in being in the position he was at that time and it was a matter of regret to many members of the Shareholders Association that they had to oppose him.

June 15, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Merseyside’s premier football clubs, Everton and Liverpool will report to the annual meeting of shareholders within the next few weeks their most successful of the three war seasons. I am now in a position to tell you that the balance sheet of both clubs will reveal a profit of four figures –a fact which I foreshadowed two months ago. This is a season when neither side gained any of the national trophies is concrete proof that they have provided the fare the public wanted. Liverpool will be first in the field with their balance-sheet –I expect it within the next few days –and it will be brought before the shareholders on Friday, June 26. Everton’s accounts are in the hands of the printers and their annual meeting will take place on Thursday, July 2. The prime factor is these good credit balances is that both Everton and Liverpool served up good football with remarkable consistency. The indifferent displays by either side could be counted on the fingers of one hand. Another factor in “on-the-right-side” accounts is the wise management of the clubs affairs. Without carrying “austerely” too far, both directorates have contrived to make an attractive garment out of the limited cloth, and carried on in the best traditions of Merseyside football. They have done a good job, and I am certain the Shareholders will confirm that opinion when they gather together for the annual talk.

June 15, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
First Since the War
Concrets evidence of the big improvement in football attendances on Merseyside last season will be forthcoming when the balance-sheet of Everton and Liverpool are made public. While the asset figures cannot be disclosed until, the reports and accounts have been despatched to shareholders, which will be done in the next few days. It will be found that such club shows a profit on the year’s working of over four figures, after taking into account all overhead charges including overdraft interest. Liverpool’s figure will probably be slightly larger than Everton’s. There will also be a useful sum to come to both clubs later from the League Cup “pool” which goes to next season’s credit. This is the first time since war started that either club has finished on the right side. Last season Liverpool’s deficit was £1,421 and the previous year £6,759,. Everton’s figures being roughly the same. While profit-making is not the primary aim in war time, any surplus is welcome and serves to reduce indebtedness to the bank, still a substantial figure with both clubs. The balance sheets will probably show gate receipts nearly double the previous season. For this, two things are responsible –first, comparative freedom from bombing; secondly, the much-improved competitions of last season, and particularly, the new methods of running the League Cup, which proved a real winner for the majority of clubs. Liverpool’s annual meeting is on Friday June 26, and Everton’s the following Thursday July 2.

June 23, 1942. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton Football Club report a profit of £1,270 on the year ending May 30 last, thus being the first time since wartime football came into operation that the Blues have finished in front. In the first war season Everton had a loss of £9,135, and the year ending May 30, 1941, they showed a loss of £1,501. Now comes the credit balances so that both our senior clubs have finished on the right side. This is a sure sign that if the Football League provided more attractive competitions, there is still a big demands for football even under trying wartime conditions. The reason for Everton’s improved financial position, is the vast rise in gates receipts. In 1940 they were 9,099; in 1941, £3,677 and in the 1942 year they rose to £11,580. The club received £3,103 as proceeds from away matches and paid out £4,912 to visitors as share of gates. Entertainment Tax swallowed up £2,596 and travelling expenses rose from £594 to £1,071. Players wages took £792 as compared with £715 the previous year. Other items were just about similar to the previous year.
The Overdraft
The company faces an overdraft of £23,032 but this is offset by the value of the grounds and properties which, after allowances for depreciation is assessed at £34, 074. The company began the year with a credit on the profit and loss account of £34,337 and after allowing £3,786 for depreciation there is a credit balance to be carried forward of £31,932 –a highly satisfactory financial position. Shareholders will meet on Thursday, July 2, for the annual meeting, which will be the 63rd in the club’s history and, like that of Liverpool, should not last many minutes. The directors in their report, announce the death of Mr. Andrew Coffey, a director for 30 years and Alderman A. Gates, who had been on the board since 1938. Both were due to seek re-election this year with Mr. W.C. Cuff. Mr. Cuff offers himself for re-election. Two nominations have been received for the other vacancies. They are on behalf of Mr. R.E. Searle, C.C., of Sefton-street, Liverpool and Mr. R.R. Turnbull, of Downhills-road, Blundellsands. There being no other nominations, the three will be duly elected and consequently Mr. Cuff, who is President of the Football league, will reach the 50 mark in years service to the Everton club. The auditors, Messrs, T. Theodore Rogers, Bowler, and Co, retire, but offer themselves for re-election.

June 23, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For the first time since war-time football came into operation, the Everton Football Club are able to show a profit on the season’s workings. Their balance sheet, just issued shows them making a profit of £1,270, which only goes to prove that given the right class of competitive football, there is a public for it. In the first war season, Everton had to report loss of £9,135 and the year-ending May 30, 1941, showed a loss of £1,904. Now comes the turn of the tide, Everton like their friends across the Park, finishing on the right side of the ledger. It is heartening for the future, and a sign that the Football League provided more attractive competitions and that there is still a demand for the game even under the most trying circumstances. The reason for Everton’s improved financial position is the astonishing rise in the gate receipts. In 1940 they were £9,099, but the following year saw a big drop to £3,577. Last season, however, the figure rose to £11,580. From the proceeds of away games Everton received £3,103, whereas visitors to Goodison Park were paid £3,912 as their share of the home gates. Entertainment tax swallowed up £2,596, while travelling expenses were increased from £594 to £1,071. There was also an increase in players wages, which took £792 as compared with £715 the previous year. There was little change from last year in items. The company face an overdraft of £23,032 but this is offset by the value of the grounds and properties which, after allowance for depreciation, is assessed £34,074. The club started the season with a credit on the profit and loss account of £34,337, which allowance have been deduced £3,780 for depreciation, leaves a credit balance to be carried forward of £31,932. The annual general meeting will be held on Thursday July 2. This, by the way, will be the 63rd in the club’s history. The directors in their report, announced the death of Mr. Andrew Coffey, who had been a director for 30 years, and Alderman A. Gates, who had been on the board since 1938. Both were due to seek re-election this year, with Mr. W.C. Cuff offers himself for re-election. Two nominations have been received for the other two vacancies. They are on behalf of Mr. R.E. Searle, C.C., of Sefton Street, Liverpool and Mr. R.R. Turnbull, Downshill-Road, Blundellsands. There being no other nominations the three will be duly elected, and consequently Mr. Cuff, who is president of the Football League, will have completed half a century’s work on behalf of the Everton club. The auditors Messrs T. Theodore Rogers, Bowler and Co, retire, but offer themselves for re-elections.

June 1942