Everton Independent Research Data


March 5, 1910. Liverpool Football Echo.
Liverpool Senior Cup Final.
At Goodison Park. Teams: - Everton : - Walter Scott, goal, R Balmer, and G Bardsley, backs, Allan, Borthwick, and Weller half-backs, Pinkney, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards. Liverpool: - Beeby, goal, Crawford, and W. Dunlop, backs, McConnel, Lignet, and Dillon half-backs, Speakman, Goode, Hewitt, Bowyer, and Uren, forwards. With both senior elevens away from home, local interest centred in the contest at Goodison Park, which attracted quite 10,000 spectators. Almost on the first minute Pinkney took a bouncing ball from Dunlop and was almost though before he was dispossessed. The succeeding play was very even in character, the due being fought out between the respective forwards, and half-backs. Once Hewitt hesitated, and Lacey robbed him when finely placed. Then the Everton forwards, prominent among when were Pinkney and Mountford, were only kept at bay by heroic efforts on the part of the Reds defenders. Although on the play there was little difference between the sides, there was certainly lack of incident. The interest was enlivened, by the taking of a free kick by Lacey from a position fully thirty yards from the Reds goal and with a terrific drive, he placed the ball into the top corner of the net. Then Hewitt sought to neutralise this advantage with a fine header, which, however, was a trifle wide of the mark. Clever footwork between Lacey and Pinkney forced the Anfielders on the defensive, and the ball being swung across the Gourlay, the latter took aim, but luckily for the Reds, the shot was charged down. Then the Liverpool forwards forced matters, and Scott brought of a great save from Speakman, who had been provided with the opening by Hewitt. Everton were now enjoying more of the attack than their opponents, and the work of the home forwards was certainly more convincing than that of the Anfielders, while the half backs of the Everton side were stronger and more resourceful that the Reds. A near piece of work by Uren who lashed the ball into the Everton goal, enabled Speakman, to rush the ball into the net, but the referee disallowed the point for hands against Speakman –a decision which was open to question. Faulty passing by the Reds did not improve their play. Mountford might, with a better control of the ball, have increased Everton's score after a poor clearance, by Beeby. Half-time Everton Res 1 Liverpool Res nil. Goode equalised for Liverpool Reserves from a penalty. T. Jones also missing a penalty, sending wide of post.

Athletic News - Monday 07 March 1910
It is an open secret that the Everton eleven are very anxious to annex The Cup this spring as a crowning glory to the careers of J.Sharp, and J.D. Taylor, who are retiring.  “Jock” Taylor did his best to see that there was no accident at Coventry on Saturday, and but for him Everton might have fared ill, for the Lancastrians were below their form.  Players are no machines.  Everton have, as a whole, played well – although they had one very bad half-hour against Middlesbrough in the replayed game –when the Tees-Siders rattled on three goals.  Of the four semi-finalists Everton are the only team who have had three goals notched against them in one match.  As the Goodison Park men have had to meet Middlesbrough (away), Woolwich and Sunderland, at Liverpool, and Coventry City neath the three spires, they have not had a primrose path to tread.  Everton have been in the semi-final matches six times, namely, in 1893, 1897, 1898, 1905, 1906, and 1907.  Seven, they say, is the lucky and magic number.  We shall see. 

Athletic News - Monday 07 March 1910
BY  (Junuis)
The Liverpool Senior Cup final tie attracted a gate of$354, The reserve teams of the two League clubs were the contestants, and a draw of one goal was the result. Lacey scoring for Everton from a free kick, and Goode equalising in the second half from a penally. Jones missed penalty for Everton, and therebv failed to give his side the lead. It the first time during the last twenty years that the final has ended in a draw. The Everton forwards were the more dangerous attacking line, and the right wing, comprosed of Lacey and Pinkney, shaped capitally in the first half. Weller, a youth obtained from Staffordshire last season, gave a good display at left half-back, but none did better than the Southport amateur, J. C. Bardsley. Liverpool made a great mistake in neglecting their left wing, for on the few occasions he obtained the ball Uren made excellent use of the chances. Dillon, a local youth, is a decided acquisition to the half back line, but there was not a more effective player on the field than the veteran, W. Dunlop. A youngster of his calibre would be welcomed at Anfleld, for Crawford was very moderate as his partner.

Athletic News - Monday 07 March 1910
By Junius
I am informed by Mr. W.C. Cuff, the Everton secretary, that a novel idea is being considered by their players.  This is the formation of classes to be held during the week, with the object of advancing their mental acquirements.  I believe that Macconnachie is keenly interested in the matter, and though it is only in its incipient stage at present, there have been so many promises of support that the future success of the venture seems assured.  The Everton directors are anxious to lend every assistance towards the successful fruition of these laudable endeavours. 

Athletic News - Monday 07 March 1910
Sam hardy is sure to be called on again to keep goal.  England cannot do without him.  By the way, in an address at a Brotherhood meeting in Bootle the other day “Tityrus” said that if Glasgow were the city of football, Liverpool was the city of goalkeepers, for within the past few years Hardy (England) and Doig (Scotland) had been neath the crossbar for Liverpool, while William Scott (Ireland) and L.R. Roose (Wales) had been custodian for Everton.  Nor must it be forgotten that James Ashcroft, who kept for England in all the engagements of 1906, was the immediate predecessor of Hardy –and he was born in Liverpool, while in days long ago James Trainer was a member of Everton who thus sheltered a genius who had not than betrayed the cunning of his hand.  Has any other city ever had such a roll of distinguished goalkeepers? We trow not. 

March 7, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round Four.
Everton made no mistake in their tie in the fourth round of the English Cup competition on Saturday. There were croakes who inclined to the view that where Nottingham Forest had failed the Goodison road brigade were bound to do likewise. The misgivings did not materialise, for Coventry City were beaten on their own pitch by two clear goals. Now that the match is over and Everton have triumphed, it is just as well to clear up a misconception injurious to the reputation of the Everton management as sportsmen. It has been freely stated that the Everton moneybags were brought into play in the endeavour to induce Coventry City to transfer the tie to Goodison Park. We are in a position to contradict any such statement. Everton did not attempt to below the Coventry City officials, with a big sum in order to change the venue. The matter was left entirely with the Coventry people themselves, who dispute a suggestion about playing the game on Aston Villa's ground, rightly decided to consider the interest of their own loyal supporters.

Contrary to expectation, Everton's task was comparatively easy. Once Freeman had opened the score in the first five minutes of play there was never any cause to uneasiness on the part of the hundreds of supporters of the Blues who had made the journey from Liverpool. It was only ten minutes or so from the finish that Coventry ever looked like equalising, and when almost on time, Freeman obliged with a second point the discomfiture of the “Bantams” was complete. The game never attained a high standard of excellence, and even much of the excitement of cup-tie football was missing. This was mainly due to the fact that the possibility of a defeat for Everton after that early goal always seemed remote. Everton's strength lay in their defence, for while the halves allowed the opposing forwards few opportunities the backs were in great form, and Wm, Scott was a safe guardian of the goal.

It was in attack that Everton failed to realise expectations. There was much individual cleverness, but far too little effective combination, and perhaps more important than all, a good deal of rank bad shooting. Perhaps that valuable goal of Freeman's it came from a beautifully placed centre by Barton –gave them undue confidence. Certain it is that several magnificent openings were absolutely thrown away. Both Freeman and Sharp had practically open goals, and yet failed to find the net. On one occasion, it seemed an unpossibility for the Everton skipper to miss Hanson, lost he ball altogether, and Sharp sped away with no one to attendance, and only the goalkeeper in front of him. Everyone expected a goal. Evans ran out, and Sharp evidently, trying to make too sure, sent the ball against the Keeper's legs. It was a very lucky escape for Coventry. The City representatives as the end approached made a most praiseworthy effort to equalise, and it was during this period that Scott proved his value. Coventry soon shot their bolt, and after a sprint down the wing by Barlow, and a cross to Freeman who easily defeat Evans, the game was all over barring the shouting and the cheers for both victors and vanquished.

Leeving out Scott, who was not unduly tested, probably the outstanding figures on the Everton side were Maconnachie and Taylor. The former was in his happiest vein his kicking and tackling being superb, while the veteran was great, both in breaking up the attempts of the City from line, and in helping his own forwards. Makepeace and Harris were useful throughout without being unusually brilliant, and Clifford was not far behind his colleagues. The forwards were altogether too scappy, though each at times was responsible for delightful touches. Barlow early on was quite dazed by a blow from the ball on the side of the head, and yet he was in no small measure responable for both the goals, which were credited to Freeman. White was about the most effective of the line. Sharp and Young more than once battled their opponents, though neither was as conspicuous as we have seen them on many occasions. However, the greatest thing was a victory, and another appearance in the semi-finals. The attendance was 19,000 and the gate receipts £1,053, were far in excess of anything ever associated with football in Coventry. Teams: - Coventry City: - Evans, goal, Saul, and Hanson, backs, Hickleton, Bradley, and Chaplin, half-backs, Tickle, Warren Smith, Hendrin, and Buckle, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Macoonnachie, backs, Harris Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee JH. Pearson.

March 7, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 26)
Liverpool were not engaged in Combination warfare, but Everton “third” team managed to defeat Hyde at the Chester town by 5 goals to 2, making four points and 14 goals against earned at the expense of the wooden spoonists. Everton were far too good for their opponents with such players as Coleman and Turner in the attack, while Berry distinguished himself by saving a penalty. The Everton scorers being, Buck, Rafferty, Turner, Carlisle, and Gault.

March 8, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The football public of Liverpool were provided yesterday, at short notice with a League match at Goodison Park. Woolwich Arsenal should have played Everton last Saturday, but as the “Blues” had to meet Coventry City in the fourth round of the Cup Tie provisional arrangement was made that in the event of a definite decision being arrived at the League fixture with “Gunners” should be fulfilled yesterday. Everton won all right at Coventry, and Woolwich Arsenal visited Goodison Park only to be beaten by a goal to nothing. Both sides were not at full strength, for while the “Gunners” had such men away as Neave, McEachrane, and Gray. Everton played Arthur Berry, Mountford, and Allen, for Sharp, G.H. Barlow, and Harris respectively. It was a delightful day for the match, and about 8,000 people witnessed what was by no means an exciting struggle. Everton in the first half had to face the sun and play against a slight breeze, but in these respects they had nothing much about to complain. The game for the most part was uneventful, and partook more of the nature of a holiday fixture. At times there was neat footwork in midfield, though rarely anything to arouse enthusiasm. The absence of dirty work was an agreeable feature, but in view of Woolwich Arsenal's precautions position in the League one might have expected them, to exhibit greater dash. The interval arrived with any score, and without either custodian being seriously tested. After the chance of ends Arsenal attacked without being dangerous. Then Taylor set Arthur Berry going, and here the second of the international's centre the Arsenal custodian fisted out, in expense of a corner, which was promptly placed the ball, for White to score the only goal of the game.

Woolwich Arsenal up to a certain point were quite equal to their opponents. They however, were lamentable weak when near goal, and it was only now and again that Wm Scott was in any serious difficulty. Lewis was about their best forward, while Ducat, who looked after Sandy Young like a brother, caught the eye. Macconnachie again played a sterling game, and Allan though scarcely so prominent as in the Liverpool march showed that he has the makings of a culpable successor to Harris. Arthur Berry and White formed the best wing on the hold, and it was from the former's centre that White, who is a beauty player scored the goal which gave Everton the maximum points. Freeman was far from satisfying, one of misses right in front of goal being most grating. Mountford was a worker through at times injudious while Clifford, Taylor, and Makepeace more than moderate standard. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Cliiford, and Macconnachie, backs, Allan, Taylor, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs A. Berry, White, Freeman, Young, and Mountford, forwards. Woolwich Arsenal: - R. McDonald, goal, DM McDonald, and Shaw, backs, Ducat, Thompson. and McKinnon, half-backs,. Greenaway, Lewis, Buckenham, Lawrence, and Heppinstall, forwards. Referee Mr. H. P. Lewis.

Athletic News - Monday 14 March 1910
Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 1
By Harricus
The directors of the Everton Club sent a side to Burnden park that included only five members of the English Cup team.  I have no doubt that medical certificates can be produced to account for the absence of the other six players.  The directors of Everton know their duty to the League and to the public, and possibly they had the medical documents in their breast pockets.  From previous experience Everton know what is required to explain the absence of famous players, who must be given time to recover from the injuries sustained in such a desperate encounter as that with Coventry City.  As a display of football the match was of the poorest type, and the 8,000 spectators appeared to take little interest in the game so unappreciative were they, Everton always played within themselves, and there was always the prevalent idea that if the Wanderers did manage to score a goal, their opponents would quickly neutralize it.  As it happened the home team seldom looked like opening their goal account, while after twenty-one minutes of the second half Freeman with one of his occasional rushes recorded the only goal of the match.  He was given plenty of scope, for Feebury made a very poor attempt to check him, and, though Freeman looked like over-running the ball, he checked it before it reached the goal-line.  Edmunds stooped to reach it, but Freeman kicked it away from his hands and into the net.
Shocking Shooting
The Wanderers certainly did most of the attacking in the second half, but it was palpable that the visitors were taking matters very philosophically –so long as they held the lead it did not matter greatly how the play went.  The Wanderers would not therefore have profited had they equalized, for the fact would merely have roused the other side to regain the lead.  The Wanderers forwards were simply hopeless, and their ludicrous attempts to shoot straight would have been amusing were it not so depressing.  Barber seemed to be possessed of a blue funk whenever he got into shooting position, and he was undoubtedly the worst of the five.  He was of little assistance to Hunter – who has had nine partners this season – with the result that the latter was not so prominent as usual, and McEwan was the only forward of any real merit.  Jones worked hard in the centre, but dash without skill is not enough to extricate a club from the bottom of the League table; while Hogan’s display proved that a man may be a crack performer in the Southern League and Second Division, but a very ordinary player in the First Division.  Had the forward play been of the same standard as the defence a different result might have been told, for there was little fault to find with the men behind.  The two local men in the half-back line, Marsh and Greenhalgh, strove hard to turn the tide, but though they played well to their forwards, the latter failed to respond.  The backs were even stronger than the half-backs, and the Wanderers possess in Baverstock and Feebury a most capable pair.  Feebury was in some degree to balme for the goal that was scored, for he undoubtedly unsighted Edmunds, as well as allowing Freeman to rush him.  The Wanderers want three inside forwards badly, for it is in these position where the weakness is most marked.  The Everton reserve players did not exactly rise to the occasion, and an opportunity to prove their value was thus lost.
Borthwick’s Ambition
True they did not get much encouragement from the regulars.  Freeman, who was the only customary forward on view, must have felt it an indignity to be in such company, though just to show that he was really Freeman, he made one or two of his dashing runs, and once in the second half he really deserved a goal after dashing through the opposition in fine style.  He was, however, far removed from his best form, but the Everton forward play generally was very poor.  They had some pretty touches, Coleman, for instance, accomplishing many dodgy movements, though without any idea of scoring –he was entertaining the crowd.  Berry and Adamson –an ex-Evertonian- played at beating each other in turn, but Berry lacked that rare dash which distinguished his play when I last saw him.  Lacey, cumbersome though he was, displayed the most business-like methods.  The reserve man who pleased me most was Borthwick, a tall centre half-back, who has evidently seen the announcement that Taylor is to retire, for he played as though he was seeking promotion.  Allan, if not exactly skillful, was a spoiler, but Harris was not too serious.  The two backs had the Wanderers’ forwards on toast, their coolness quite disconcerting the home quintette.  Clifford has developed into a stylist, in fact, he has changed in many respects since he left Bolton.  It was perhaps as well that he and Macconnachie were very safe, for Scott was slow to clear, and altogether seemed below his usual standard.  But preserve me from any more such matches this season.  Bolton Wanderers;- Edmunds; Baverstock, Feebury; Marsh, Greenhalgh, Adamson; McEwan, Hogan, Jones, Barber, and Hunter.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Allan; A. Berry, Lacey, Freeman, Coleman, and Mountford.  Referee; Mr. A. Hargreaves, Blackpool. 

March 14, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The lot of the Bolton Wanderers in the League campaign is not a happy one. Ill-luck seems to dog their footsteps, and the outlook as the end of the season approaches is anything but rosy. They had what was generally regarded as a good chance on Saturday, opposed as they were at Burnden part to a team, which was not at full strength. From the Everton side were absent, Sharp, Young, White, Taylor and Makepeace, whose places were filled by A.Berry, Lacey, Coleman, Borthwick, and Allan, it had been a little uncertain whether G. H. Barlow would be fit to turn out, and during the forenoon it was decided that Mountford should be chosen. It was expected that the Wanderers, with Greenhalgh back again at centre half, and Jones operating in the centre, would be able to give a good account of themselves against the considerably changed Everton team. Well, they probably would have done if they had been keener after their opportunities, many of which were miserably lost partly through deplorable lack of judgement and partly, through weak kicking. There is no excuse for them not doing much better.

Even with their substitutes, the Evertonians were more than a match for the Trotters. This was due to smarter combination, which at times was up to the standard of the regular eleven, and also to a sound defence, which proved a great factor in upsetting the calculations of the home attack. True, at times the Blues took matters somewhat easily, but that was perhaps only natural in view of the feeble character of the play on the other side. Even during those moments Bolton failed to respond to the occasion, and several good openings were missed. From the outset it was plain that the neater and more scientific methods of the Blues would prevail, and some pretty footwork was noticed. Some dangerous movements coming from Mountford and Coleman. Whenever the Bolton men did get near the Everton goal they found the backs too many of them, Clifford putting in some useful headers, whilst the halves robbed the home forwards of the ball time after time. Lacey made an attempt, which was too high, and then Jones had splendid openings, which he allowed to slip, McEwan was working hard though unsuccessfully on the right, displaying a weakness for dallying with the ball. No impression could be made on the Blues' defenders, and it was quite evident that the home attack had not those qualities of sting and grit, which get though difficulties. Everton's onslaughts were always more dangerous, and once Lacey sent in a lone low shot which Edmunds cleverly saved. Later it looked as if the Wanderers were to be rewarded, but Hunter's drive into goal was unfortunately invalidated through Jones being adjudged off-side. In this uninteresting way the game proceeded up to the interval with Everton having the best of matters, and with more mistakes occurring on the Wanderers side for some of which Barber was mainly accountable. For several minutes after crossing over, the Wanderers showed to better advantage, and now and again got going in good style, some fruitless corners accuring. This improvement was maintained for a time, Scott being twice called upon. During another attack in which McEwan was making excellent progress, it looked as if one of the Blues touched the ball in the penalty area, but no penalty was granted. The Wanderers worked hard, and Scott brought off two or three clearances. Twenty minutes from the finish Freeman scored the only goal of the match, and as this gave new spirit to the Everton side there was little prospect of success for their opponents.

At no point of the game was the play of a high standard; indeed, for the most part it was dull and unattractive, anything like brilliant work being at a premium. The Everton front line worked with good understanding, whilst their manoecurving of the ball was well done. It was however, mainly to the halves that the ineffectiveness of the Bolton team was due. They repeatedly came in at the opportune moment, breaking up the opposing combination and robbing them of the ball. Clifford played a good reliable game all through, his heading being very useful, whilst Macconachie was always safe and cool. As already indicated, the Wanderers' play was very unequal, there being a lamentable weakness at close quarters, whilst much of the kicking was ill-judged. McEwan and Hunter were undoubtedly the best forwards, being responsible for some occasional flashes of good play. Barker was chiefly at fault with his shooting. Greemhalgh was the pick of the halves. Adamson on the left now and then being in difficulties with Lacey and A. Berry. Both custodian did their work well. Teams : - Bolton Wanderers: - Edmonson, goal, Baverstock, and Teebury, backs, Marsh, Greenhalgh, and Adamson, half-backs, McEwan, Hogan, Jones, Barber, and Hunter, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie (Captain) backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Allan, half-backs, A.Berry, Lacey, Freeman, Coleman, and Mountford, forwards. Referee A. Hargreaves.

March 14, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 27)
If Everton intend to retain their position at the head of the competition, they will have to improve upon the display given against Bolton Wanderers. The game ended in a draw of one goal each. and the Blues were decidedly lucky to finish on level terms. The first half produced only a moderate exhibition, and Gault, who fastened on to a rebound off the post by a long punt by Stevenson, and glided the ball into the net, scored the only goal. In the second moiety Bolton made dangerous assaults on the home goal, and only the fine keeping by Walter Scott and faulty shooting of the Wanderers forwards prevented them from scoring on several occasions. In the last minute Hilton equalised the score, after Scott had saved a hot shot by Hughes . Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Davis, Pratt, and Rafferty, half-backs, Pinkney, Gourlay, Gault, Carlise, and Turner, forwards.

March 15, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
In consequence of Everton's success in the English Cup competition, their home fixture with Aston Villa had to be arranged. It was a loss to the Goodison-road club to have to meet the prospective champions on a Monday, but engagement. Still, yesterday afternoon's encounter with the Villa at Goodison Park attracted some 20,000 spectators, who, although no goals were scored, witnessed one of the most strenuous struggles of the season. It was evident that both teams were out for points, and while occasionally the play suggested undue vigour, these faults were almost forgotten in the real earnest football, which was served up by both sides. Everton had Walter Scott in goal owing to the International Scott suffering from an injured ankle, and the other alterations from the cup team were Borthwick for Taylor and Stevenson for Clifford. The first half produced football of the keenest, though at times too much vigour was imparted into the fray. One thing was evident, that the Villa were out to win, and that Everton meant to do their utmost to prevent them acquiring maximum points. In the earlier stages Villa had rather the better of the exchanges, but once Everton settled down they had more than their fair share of attack. Quite early on Makepeace skied the ball dangerous towards the goalmouth, and it was while Walter Scott was waiting for the ball that Hampton fouled him in nasty fashion. The incident did not please the crowd, and later on when Hampton seemed to put his knee into Scott's stomach the spectators might be excused their cries of “Send him off” Hampton was too aggressive in his attentions to the custodian, and incidents of this kind somewhat spoiled what was other wise a great game. Probably the only read chance of scoring during the first half fell to Freeman. An opening was nicely worked for him, and it looked as if a goal were certain, when the centre banged the ball against the bottom of the post, the ball rebounding into play. Time after time the Villa backs had to kick into touch –a tribute to the persistency of the Everton attack. At the same time the visiting front line were by no means inactive, but especially in Harris and Macoonachie they found a couple of most capable defenders. The interval arrived with a blank sheet, but the crowd had the satisfaction of witnessing fine vigorous football. In the second half there was no cessation of the strenuousness of the encounter. Cartlidge kicked out from Young's header, and he also saved a terrific drive from Freeman. Walter Scott too, was busily engaged, and the effected not a few clearances after the manner of the born goalkeeper, one of these from Bache being wonderfully clever. Once Maconnachie headed over his own goal, fortunately with no ill-effects for his side, while Buckley crashed the ball against the upright with a terrific shot. Sharp was temporarily injured, but the Villa did most of the pressing to the close. The Everton defence held out, however, and the game ended in a pointless draw . Teams: - Everton: - Walter Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow forwards. Aston Villa: - Cartlidge, goal, Lyons, and Kearns, backs, Trainter, Buckley, and Hunter, half-backs Wallace, Gerrish, Hampton, Bache, and Hall, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Sykes.

Sunday Post - Sunday 21 March 1920
After the match I met Mrs Cock, the charming wife of Jack Cock, England's centre-forward. The lady accompanied her husband on his trip north. She goes to all my matches," said Jack. " She is my trainer," he added, with a smile. " And what did you think of the game?" I asked Mrs Cock. " Delighted!" she replied. ' I thought our boys well deserved their victory. I am disappointed with the Scottish team, but I think Scotland can easily field a better side. I want to see Andy Wilson. lam very interested in centre-forwards, you see. " I liked Alan Morton. I think he is the best outside left I have seen.  A small fellow, but, oh! such a big player. I do like M'Nair, too; I like his cool way. Oh, by the way," Mrs Cock added, " am going see Chelsea and Aston Villa on Saturday, and then I hope to go to Sheffield —you know why."

Monday, March 21, 1910 –Athletic News
By Junius
Despite the fact that the Everton directors had decided to award the gate receipts of the League match with Chelsea to William Scott and John Sharp, two of the stalwarts of their team, as a reward for five years’ satisfactory service, one of the worst attendances of the season foregathered at Goodison Park to witness the encounter.  No doubt the prime reason for this was the counter-attraction ataintree, and as a consequence the club, who had guaranteed the players 500 pound each, will be called upon to make up a deficiency of about 600.  One of the beneficiaries –Scott –was required by his country to play in the International match at Belfast, and being allowed a free hand by the Everton directors, he decided to keep goal for Ireland.  Sharp participated in the second benefit match, and he has been so long connected with Everton that his presence seems necessary for a representative eleven.  Should he retire at the end of the season he cannot but remember gratefully the generous treatment he has always received from his club. 
Gourlay’s Goal
Everton gave a trail to their youthful recruit, Gourlay, in place of Freeman, who was afforded a well-earned rest, and though the Scot has mostly figured with the reserve team at inside left, he originally came to Goodison as a centre-forward.  He was early in evidence with a fine drive that fully tested Whitley’s capabilities, and during the first half he displayed a high standard of ability that gave hopes for his future welfare.  There was, however, an ostensible lack of keenness about the Everton attack generally.  The Southerners could not matter the defence opposed to them, while the Everton forwards were rarely dangerous by reason of their half-hearted efforts.  Consequently little enthusiasm was vested in the proceedings, and the opening half had nearly run its course ere a stimulating incident happened.  Mountford raced along the left, only to be stopped by Cameron, who placed the ball into touch.  Makepeace smartly threw in, and Gourlay, promptly pouncing on the ball, darted inwards and registered a clever, though somewhat unexpected goal.  At the interval Everton led by this narrow margin, but two minutes after the resumption, Holden got the better of Allan, and Macconnachie, failing to properly clear the centre which came across, Wileman had an easy opportunity of equalizing, and he readily accepted it.  Shortly afterwards Balmer had an attempted return charged down, and Wileman, dodging round on the left, whipped in another shot which quite baffled Walter Scott.  Chelsea looked like certain winners for a time, and three minutes only were left for play when Sharp forced a corner, and this proved Makepeace with a chance which the half-back utilized to the utmost, Whitley making his effort to clear too late.
Enervated Evertonians
Everton forward play was devoid of incisiveness, the right wing being most subdued, while little of moment was seen on the left.  Under the circumstances Gourlay shaped most creditable, and deserves commendation for his display.  Young fairly bewildered the opposition at times, while on other occasions he astounded himself.  His footwork was often delightful, after which he would lose himself, in the maze of his own creation.  Sharp was not often in evidence, and White did not combine with him so dexterously as usual.  Mountford did not show to advantage, for he was easily dispossessed by the half-back facing him; nor does he centre so judiciously as of yore.  In the half-back line, Allan was the most conspicuous performer, full of energy and dash.  Taylor is judged from such a high standard that the least deviation is at once noticed.  Makepeace played excellently, and his control of the ball was masterly.  The full backs were uneven, and Balmer was frequently at fault.  Macconnachie was the more resourceful, and some of his interceptions were most accurately judged, Scott was not unduly called upon, but there was no mistaking his alertness. 
Chelsea Comments
Chelsea were not a whit more effective than their rivals, and the forward play, though often attractive in midfield, was wanting in determination at close quarters.  Wileman was the most zealous performer in this department, and was always ready in good position to receive the ball.  Hilsdon kept his forwards moving with adroit passes, and experienced bad luck with some creditable attempts to find the net.  Douglas showed himself a capable right winger, but the left wing was not often in evidence, though Holden flashed across one or two fine centres.  Downing was the pick of the half-backs and he repeatedly checked the advances of the wing opposed to him.  Ormiston was useful, but there was not much combination shown with the front rank.  The defence of Cameron and Cartwright was very sound, the former playing a really capital game all through.  Whitley seemed astonished at both the goals scored against him, but I should say he was partially unsighted, when the equalizing point was scored.  At other times he caught and powerfully cleared in a free and most invigorating fashion, and his jaunty juggling fairly checkmated Sharp on one occasion.  Everton; Scott (Walter); Balmer  (R.), Macconnachie; Allan, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp, White, Gourlay, Young and Mountford.  Chelsea; Whitley; Cameron, Cartwright; Taylor, Ormiston, Downing; Douglas, A. Wireman, Hildson, Freeman, and Holden.  Referee; Mr. R.J. Pitchford, Sheffield. 

March 21, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Saturday's League match with Chelsea at Goodison Park was set apart for the benefit of Jack Sharp and William Scott. It was lucky for the players that they had each been guaranted £500 for whether it was owing to the races at Aintree of not, it was one of the poorest Saturday “gates” of the season (15,000). However, both men have rendered the Everton Club yeoman service –by the way, it was the Everton skipper's second benefit –and none of the club supporters will begrudge them the reward of faithful service. The cails of his country prevented Scott appearing on the occasion of his benefit, and with such players as Harris, Freeman, Clifford, and G. H. Barlow also away, the home lot were at a disadvantage. Still Chelsea were without the services of Woodward and Windridge.

The game was by no means of an exhilarating description. There were some pretty touches, notably from that great artist, Sandy Young, but there was a lack of earnestness, denoting end of the season football. Perhaps it was fitting that the match should have ended in a division of the honours. At the interval it looked as if Everton would not have to extend themselves in any serious way to ensure victory. They had scored after 25 minutes play through a swift shot from Gourlay, who was deputising for the sharp shooting Freeman. Then Chelsea imparted new life to their movements, and apparently before Everton realised the situation Wileman had not only drawn level but had given his side the lead. After this matters seemed to go wrong with the “Blues” and it was not until the proceedings were drawing perilously near the end that the goal came which enabled the Evertonians to share the points. Sharp had taken a corner and White seeing an opening for Makepeace, passed the ball judiciously with the result that the home half-back banged it into the net out of the reach of Whitley.

Chelsea on Saturday's exhibition are not a great side, one of their failings being in respect of the wild nature of their shooting. Apart from Whitley, Ormiston in the centre half position was one of their prominents performers, and in the later stages in particular he seemed to be too much for Gourlay, who, however, must be said to have made a creditable debut. On the Everton side, Allan proved a useful man, though not attaining the standard of Taylor and Makepeace. As already suggested, Young was brilliant at times, but he and Mountford were scarcely so serviceable a wing as Sharp and White. Robert Balmer was erractic both in hos kicking and tackling, and it was just as well for Everton that Macconnachie was up to quite his best standard. Walter Scott could not be blamed for neither of the goals registered by Wileman, and, though not seriously troubled, his work suggested that he is a capable keeper. Teams : - Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Allan, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Gourlay, Young, and Mountford forwards. Chelsea: - Whitley, goal, Cameron, and Cartwright, backs, Taylor, Ormiston, and Downing, half-backs, Douglas, Wileman, Hilston, Freeman, and Holden, forwards. Referee RJ. Pitchford.

March 21, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 28)
Everton found St Helens Recs, in their best form on Saturday with the results that the leader were beaten by a goal to nil. True it was only from a penalty late on in the game that enabled Fairclough to score, but it sufficed to give the Recs the points. The teams were very well matched, but the Recs owed something to Teddy Doig, who kept a clever goal, one of his saves from Coleman being a masterpiece. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Barsley, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Weller, half-backs, Pinkney, Coleman, Gault, Carlisle, and Turner, forwards.

March 21, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lacey, Harris, and William Scott, played for the Irish team against Scotland, winning by the only goal of the game.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph -Wednesday 23 March 1910
A Fine Leader and a Great Side
(By Our Everton Correspondent.)
Everton look forward to their tie with Barnsley (writes our Everton correspondent) in the same manner they did to that with Coventry. Both teams are sloggers, if I may so-terra it, and if able to get one goal up would give Everton a turn. But Everton do not give their supporters shocks. They are the most trustworthy cup-fighting side in the country. They have fought four finals, winning one,-and have fought many semi-final ties, winning the majority of thorn. The team is reliable against team which is generally described us “just the team to throw over the senior side.” Southampton and Tottenham did upset their calculations many seasons ago, yet the record of the rich club is a particularly clean one in cup-ties. Their supporters hope that Saturday will be no exception. For having beaten Barnsley once before the same competition, they will not accept anything but win from their pets. The men are training home, as is their custom, and not until Thursday they “get a move on,” then proceeding to Harrogate, where they stay until Saturday morning.

There are two special reasons why the club desires to reach the final stage. One is because their Captain, John Sharp, is retiring from football this season; the other that Jack Taylor, the veteran, who has served this club for 15 years, will probably not have another chance of figuring in the last stage of the competition, much he desires to do so. Taylor's wonders never end. He lasts on. and though the club have signed many centre half-backs of much promise, Taylor is the man who has persistently held the place against all comers. His stamina startling, his pace remarkable. Never played better than at the present time. He the type of man one wants in a cup-fighting side, because tie can inspire his comrades. Experience counts for much, but the personality of Jack Taylor counts for more. When Everton come limp Taylor rushes right through his own to the goal line. This electric display works the other men up to a pitch of example and time after time the effect has been marked.

Elliott, Jack of that ilk, is the trainer of the Everton team, and never is there a more wholesaled trainer or cheery optimist. You cannot drive defeat into him until the day of reckoning is quite over. Then unwillingly submits. As in all the previous rounds Elliott has offered the opinion that's Everton are certain to win.” and though his brogue is thick he makes the listener have doubt what said this time. Yesterday I had a chat with the old, Everton player, and-he was willing to admit but one point; 'That Barnsley would be hard to beat '' Quick was he to add that he was confident in his men's ability to beat the hard Yorkshire team “Fit as fiddles” (whatever that may mean) the men are going through a very ordinary League match training routine. Everton were one of the earliest clubs to realise the folly of a week's special training, and it is never before Thursday that their men out of the City. Most of their men are married, and are all steady, and need not be ' constabled'' here and there in case of thirst cure. The men had ball practice on Tuesday and later sprinting and walking. On Monday the men “indulged” in brine bath—which is to be had on the club premises—a model of compact arrangements and convenience.

Last night the team was chosen, and it was just as expected, for Everton have had no cause to change their Cup team from the outset when they first drew with Middlesbrough at Ayresome Park and later beat them at Goodison Park. The team will line up in this order:— William Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp. White, Freeman. Young. G. H. Barlow This eleven withstood Middlesbrough “away,” then smothered Woolwich Arsenal, afterwards faded to score with a gale behind their backs' in the first half the match with Sunderland, and in the second overcome strong wind and Sunderland's strong defence: finally visited. Coventry, where Nottingham Forest had fallen earlier, and routed the Bantams by two clear goals, although Coventry fought sternly, and Everton's attack. Was quite-unlike itself. This is form at glance, and it is form to recommend Everton. Four times' have Everton appeared in the final of the F.A. Cup, and many times have they gone as far as the semi-final. Their strength has always lain in the half-back line, and whereas once the trio road Makepeace, Taylor and Abbott, it now read Harris. Taylor and Makepeace , a rare trio who never tire and always are found in form. Harris is plodder, and is-better-in-attack than Taylor. Taylor is a trifle better than both the other two in defence; he forces possession, Makepeace in recovery of lost positions—that is, apparently hopeless positions—is aided by his burst of speed. Add to this fact that Makepeace has resumed scoring goals, and Barnsley must realise the force fore and aft of the half-back line.

Makepeace is of the Brittleton type, save that he has not the same height, but both are clean limbed and clean footballers who are not bound to one foot or to one position. The telegraphic address of William Scott, Clifford and Maconnachie; is “Reliance.” Many limes they are brilliant: always are they trustworthy. It does not do to place beauty before practicability in defence, say they. Clifford was half-back, was Maconniachie; Taylor was once a forward; ditto Makepeace; and Harris when in Ireland used to play outside-right. The team is a double-footed team; there isn't a man but cannot use both feet effectively. Bolton Wanderers hardly realised that it was their Clifford who was playing against them recently. At centre half-back he was lumbering and boisterous. At full-back along with Maconnachie he has tempered his punts with and his height gives him preference over many forwards.

Forward Barnsley may find a combinative, seductive set with a middle man who does not shoot goals but coolly takes them through right over the line and beyond the goalkeeper's power. Freeman is over-worked; he wants a rest, and until last Saturday he had been in regular action. Much depends upon Sharp, than whom there is no better man for centring a ball just wide of backs and goalkeeper. White keeps him provided, and Young on the other wing bewilders his adversaries and gives his own men chance to get their second wind. Young is fanciful, and quite artist, while Barlow has in Chip ties shown form which has been foreign to him in League matches. He has stored his best till the F.A. trophy has loomed insight, Evertonians hope.

March 26, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
Everton Reserves easily overcame Nelson at Goodison Park yesterday, their cleverness making the Nelson players' efforts appear very crude. The final score of 2-0 hardly showed Everton's superiority for had the front line been in good shooting form more goals would have accured. The first half produced very clever football that is regarding Everton's attack and Nelson's defence. Everton's halves quite held up the visitors forwards, and gave their own forwards excellent opportunities. The home forwards gave a very clever exhibition of the short passing game, and had very hard lines in not scoring on more than one occasion. Pinkney and Turner were providing their inside forwards with clever centres, and from a fine corner by Pinkney, Borthwick sent in a terrific shot which the custodian only saved by reason of his luck in being in direct line with the shot. Everton scored through Gourlay, after half an hour's play, owing to his shot, from quite 25 yards range touching the full-back, and leaving the goalkeeper with no chance. Pinkney missed after clever work by his forwards, and Gault failed to gather the ball with only the goalkeeper to beat. Scott kicked against Timmins on one of the few occasions. Nelson troubled the home defence, but the inside right's shot missed the yawning goal by yards. The interval arrived with Everton leading by 1-0, and having kept up constant pressure. The second half was also Everton's though Nelson's attack went near scoring on two occasions. Scott proved his excellence in saving two very fine shots sent in by Timmins, and Hollis. The ball in both cases was travelling away from Scott, but his fine judgement kept it out. Everton notched their second goal through Gault, Gourlay giving him a perfect chance. Bradshaw twisted his knee, and Nelson lacked his services for a quarter of an hour. Lacey was tripped in the area, but he failed with the penalty. Hirst saving in fine style. The whole of Everton's team played excellently. Borthwick being especially clever. Scott acquitted himself very well, and his vis-à-vis also made some excellent saves. The Everton front line was in fine fettle, except in shooting which was very weak. The Nelson players were too crude, the backs and goalkeeper alone saving them from a heavier defeat. The forwards lacked combination, and could not circumvent the clever Everton halves: - Teams: - Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, Stevenson, and J.C. Bardsley, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Weller, half-backs, Pinkney, Lacey, Gault, Gourlay, and Turner, forwards. Nelson: - Hirst, goal, Turner, and Rimmer, backs, Hollis, Thompson, and Bradshaw, half-backs, Gow, Timmins, Short, Orrell, and Broadley, forwards .

EVERTON 0 BARNSLEY 0 (Fa Cup Game 80)
March 26, 1910. The Liverpool Football Echo.
Fa Cup Semi-Final.
Everton were admitted favourites for the great Cup-tie at Leeds to-day against Barnsley. Yet no one dare predict any easy win for the Mersey club although under ordinary circumstances Barnsley are a dangerous side. But the glamour of the Cup tie, and therefore a keen even, exciting game was anticipated at the Leeds City ground. Confidence in Everton was unshaken, however. They have seldom disappointed in cup warfare, and they were the more' experienced combination, and capable of adapting themselves to all Cup-tie circumstances. Barnsley were full of pluck and determination, and had benefited by their stay at Latham, Everton, as formerly did most of their training at home, but on Saturday they went to Harrogate, where a very pleasant time was spent, the players and directors leaving the famous Yorkshire resort this morning for Leeds. Everton played the side which has served them so well, in the Cup-tie being unchanged since the visit to Middlesbrough in the first round, and all were reported fit and well. Barnsley reports were also favourable, the Yorkshire club expecting to play their strongest eleven. The events in Leeds this morning bore eloquent testimony to the fact the football, for from declining in popular favour, is increasing in the estimate of their public. Thousands trooped in from Barnsley, while there was a following of fully 3,000 Evertonians. Two hours before the start the gates were closed, and late comers even though they held tickets had some difficulty in getting on to the ground. With regard to this popular parts, the plight of the would be spectators was absolutely hopeless, and it is no exaggeration to say that thousands were literally turned away. The weather though cloudy was fine and mild –a typical Easter day in fact. The Everton players travelled from Harrogate this morning by special reaching the tightly packed enclosures three quarters of an hour from the start. All the men were fit and well, and fully confident of doing themselves and their supporters justice. There was one change in the Barnsley team, Mearne coming in for Cooper. Amid scenes of great excitement the opposing forces faced as follows: - Everton: - William Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor and Makepeace half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow, forwards. Barnsley: - Mearns, goal, Ness, and Downs, backs, Glendenning, Boyle (Captain), and Utley, half-backs, Bortrop, Gadsby, Lillycrop, Turfnell, and Forman, forwards. Referee Mr. H.S. Bamlett (Gateshead) At this time there was barely breathing space on any of the stands, but jostling and struggling was all taked in the best of part by the sportsmen and the rival teams. Everton were out first, and were cordially greeted, but there was a tremendous outburst of cheering when the representatives of the Yorkshire county made their appearance. A small army of newspaper photographers delayed the start for some time, but at length Sharp and Boyle tossed for choice of ends, and Sharp was the winner. This was a happy augury, and there were renewed cheers when two minutes after time the battle began. Everton went away from the outset, but Downs cleared and Barnsley were then busy, but Clifford kicked into touch. It was at once obvious that the match was to be fought at terrific pace. Young got possession of the ball, and wriggled skillfully through, but at the critical moment he fell. There was some gave and take play, in which neither side secured any advantage, but Barnsley lost a golden opportunity, when –after making clever play on the left, Utley headed over the bar. For some time play was of rather a scrambling character to the effective tactics of Barnsley in breaking, up all the combination of the Everton forward. Everton, however, gradually got into their strides, and Ness only spoiled a beautiful bit of work by Freeman at the last moment. The right wing got away cleverly and from a throw in by Sharp, Freeman put the ball over the bar. The game was now going all in favour of Everton, whose superiority in the matter of footwork and combination was unmistakable. They were busy on the left, and George Barlow had the satisfaction of forcing the first corner of the game. This, however, was cleared and after another attack on the part of the Evertonians, the Barnsley forwards took up the argument. Two dangerous bullies in front of Scott's charge boded hotly for the Lancastrians, put first Macconnachie and then Clifford cleared their lines with considerable cleverness. The Barnsley right wing made smart play, and the ball was swung right across to the left but Clifford saved the situation, with a tremendous punt. Young was next to disgrace through a foul, but the free kick was well tackled by Clifford, and the next item of interest was an injury to Makepeace, who was temporarily taxed through heading the ball. The Barnsley forwards putting on a great spurt gave the Everton defence a very anxious time, and from a pass by Tuffnell, Lillycrop should certainly have scored, when he missed the ball altogether. At the other end Young was looking dangerous when he was badly fouled by Downs. Makepeace took the kick, and shooting straight for goal, he just missed the angle of the post. The contest was being fought in typical cup-tie fashion, and Everton though undoubtedly the clever side, were not more dangerous than their opponents. More than a little feeling began to be infused, and Boyle and Young coming in violent contact, the game was stopped for a few moments. On the resumption of operations Everton were seen to advantage on the right wing where White was very clever, but two of the passes in Freeman were absolutely thrown away by the latter. Fine work by Boyle put the Barnsley front line in possession, and Lillycrop had practically an open goal before him when he allowed Clifford to nip in and clear. The Evertonians being forced to act on the defensive, which served, however, to bring out the sterling qualities of Clifford and Macconnachie followed a spell of long and aimless kicking. A beautiful bit of work by Taylor led to the latter shooting from long range, and after Downs had only partially stopped the ball, White missed a chance of stopping it. The Barnsley right wing pair gave Harris and Clifford a lot of trouble and at length the whole line ran forward in fine order. Tuffnell duly got the ball and put in the first really fine shot of the game. Scott fortunately, was ready to' it and he saved an otherwise certain goal. The pace showed no diminution as the match progressed, but the sides finished very badly, and play might best be decribed as of a nough and tumble order. Makepeace serving up to his men nicely enabled George Barlow to walz along the wing and the amateur giving to Freeman. The latter scraped the outside of the upright with a rasping shot. So anxious was the Barnsley custodian to avert disaster that he literally throws himself at the ball and managed himself by coming in contact with the post. Toward the interval Barnsley put on pressure with great persistence, and Bartrop once found himself rather unceremoniously bundled over by Taylor, whose air of innocence when spoken to by the referee was comical to witness. More give and take play followed, and Barnsley made another well-intentioned effort to more through Boyle, who gave Scott a warm handful. Forman and Tuffnell were in turn dangerous, but they were well and sturdily met by Clifford, and though they returned to the attack three times in rapid succession they were always kept in check. A breakaway by Barecrop was spoilt by Makepeace, who was playing at the top of his form and the ball was in midfield when half-time came.

The first period had shown neither side to great advantage. Everton it is true, had enjoyed more of the attack than their rivals, but their finishing touches had best woefully weak. Sharp had not been in the picture at all and Young though aimless, is the cleverest of the forwards, had never been able to get through. The crowd, which wondered on the field of play, was about 30,000 when the second half was entered upon. The great majority of them were of Barnsley supporters, and the Everton players were to a certain extreme, capped by having to suffer of comment, the reverse of a fluttering aggressive attitude but Sharp put the ball into motion, and later Young was grassed by Glendinning just as he was making for goal. Forman then electrified the crowd by a brilliant run, but Clifford was too clever for aim at the finish, and a reportable individual effort came to nothing. Young and White made clever but ineffective play, and when Taylor lobbed the ball out to Barlow the Wigan youth was prominently ruled offside. Barnsley then took up the running to some purpose and Clifford only stopped Forman at the post of a corner. Again the Yorkshiremen raced down towards Scott, but Harris this time rushed into the breach and saved the situation. From this point the game became fierce and fast than ever, but the character of the football did not show any improvement. Harris was once badly, at fault in trying to get through on his own account, and Lillycrop was equally to blame at the other end. A heavy fusillade was directed upon the Barnsley goal, thanks to good work by Taylor, but the forwards were apparently quite enable to fine any accuracy in shooting for their final efforts were weak. Forman tried hard to place his side ahead with a wonderful sprint, but he overran the ball, and then came another delay through Boyle injured in collision with Taylor. This was the third time that the Barnsley half-back had been badly grassed, and it was some time before he recovered. More loose and ill kicking led to nothing more than growing cheers and contest cheers on the part of the excited spectators, the Barnsley contingent being especially demonstrative. Their yells became punitively defening oblique shot, which passed just through the goalmouth. Good half back play on the part of Everton put them in good position, but Young tried to be too clever, and lost possession, while Sharp met his masters more than once in Ness, who together with Downs, was showing fine powers of defence. Final Result Everton nil; Barnsley nil.

The arrangements for so important a match were the limit. Leeds is not a home for semi-final tie, and whatever excuse the Football Association may have for asking us here is no excuse for the arrangements made. As usual the Press workers came off badly. Any number of Liverpool excursionists left in the cold, as the gates were close some time before the kick off. Mearns kept goal, not Cooper and the teams were heartily welcomed, Barnsley getting the greater roar. Sharp won the toss –only the game needed to be won now. There was many cries but little work at the outset, and the crowd yeiled enormously when out two backs had to kick intouch to prevent any danger –which there was not. Everton's first offside came after freeman had held the ball too long. Young was the initiator, and it was hard luck that a bit of bad turf should have thrown the wizard. Barnsley were rushers, and Macconnachie had to be sure in his heading to beat off one attack. Then while Freeman and Young showed perfect combination, and when Freeman had finally headed' from Sharp's cross, the ball sailed narrowly wide. Everton were getting the measure of their rivals thus early, and Master Barlow was as energetic as ever in busting by all obstacles. Barnsley's striving resulted in three headers from Macconnachie whose work as far was perfection. Makepeace was injured on the head just after Freeman had sped forward and overrun a ball that looked to go into goal. Play was chiefly on Everton's left, and matters ran rather for Barnsley than for Everton. Once Freeman had an opportunity of setting White going. He was too dainty by far in his pass. Next we got a shock and afterwards a sight of relief as Lillycrop missed an ease chance. We were not seeing much of Everton's attack and unless out defence is relieved Everton in the rear must tire. Here a foul on Young, this gives a breather, and from the free kick Makepeace draw a long bow and comes near scoring -a fine high drive, which went near. Young came under the ban of the referee, Boyle was damaged hereabouts, and the brief though the reason was not plain to see. Boyle was damaged hereabouts, and the brief interval was welcome. He was dazed a bit and after the trainer had left the field he had to return to help the captain again. Taylor tried to inspire his attack by twice brushing through his shots being charged down, and then Barnsley made a great effort to gain first blood. Turfnell following a corner with a ground shot, Scott cleared although he was partially unsighted. Makepeace, Young, Barlow, and Freeman had a foot in a move and Bert, getting the ball first time shot with great speed. The ball had a curl with it, and went narrowly outside. Taylor had a due with Bartcrop, and the veteran was the stronger. Everton were still unable to take an impression upon Barnsley. Gadsby did net the ball, but it was a false alarm, offside having sounded long before he shot. Half-time came with a blank sheet, and after a hard 45' we were not a point up. The crowd, which was almost exclusive a Yorkshire crowd had no chance to cheer in the first few minutes, for Everton attacked, you see. Forman changed matters by neatly beating Clifford and running goalwards; still Jack Taylor had to shoulder him off. The Blues' attack began to swing the ball about –a wise policy and one in direct contrast to the first half ideas. Forman was always dangerous, and once he had a corner conceded when a goal seemed coming.

March 28, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 30)
Everton were in brilliant form on Saturday when they defeated Blackburn Rovers by five goals to one. In the initial half the Blues pressed almost continuously, and as evidence of their superiority Scott had not a shot of any description to negotiate this period. At the interval the home side were leading by five goals to nil, the goal scorers being Mountford, Carlisle (2), and Jones (2). The second half was more evenly contested, and with Everton inclined to take matters easy the Rovers were more in the picture. In the concluding stages of the game Bracegirdle in midfield, and showing a clean pair of heels to Allan and Stevenson centred neatly, for Brookbank to score Blackburn's solitary point. Everton have now the fine record of 40 points for 30 matches, with a goal average of 71 against 34, and it is a curious fact that five of their six drawn games ended 1-1. The Blues should again carry off the championship this season, but they have some stiff away matches to fulfill. Everton : - Walter Scott goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Allen, and Weller, half-backs, Michaels, Coleman, Jones, Carlisle, and Mountford, forwards.

March 28, 1910. The Liverpool Echo.
After a stern tussle at Leeds, Everton had a League game sandwiched between the replay semi-final, the visitors being Bury, who though not in imminent danger of relegation can ill-afford to spare a point especially as they came a nasty cropper at Aston Villa on Saturday. This was Everton's first Holiday Leagie engagement; and despite the struggle in prospect on Thursday a good holiday game was reasonably anticipated. The game started before 15,000 spectators when summer like weather prevailed. As expected, some of the Blues were given a rest and the home team was made up as follows. Everton: - Walter Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Allen, half-backs, Pinkney, Coleman, Freeman, Gourlay, and Turner, forwards. Bury - Raeside, goal, Millington, and Parkin, backs, Rae, Dewhurst, and Bullen, half-backs, Birnie, McIntosh, Hibbert, Pearson, and Lee, forwards . The initial exchanges were in the Bury half, and Turner spoiled a good chance by shooting sky high. Bradley and Currie responded by heading a short raid, and Pearson was dangerously placed, when Allen blocked his shot off Scott. The Shakers right wing was proving aggressive when Macconnachie checked the progress of Macintosh. Allen tackled twice in midfield ultimately initiating a Blue raid, Freeman put the sphere over to Pinkney, who promptly middled to Coleman, Tim had a fair chance of troubling Raeside, but only shot weakly along the ground, and outside the post. The Blues scratch team continued to perform well and held their own at most points. After the game had been in progress eight minutes Coleman brought Raeside to earth with a hot shot, and before the Bury custodian could regain his feet Freeman came along with a shot which easily netted. The visitors frequently crossed over, but made little impression on the Blues' defence, Freeman made one sensational effort, but wound up with a wild shot over the bar. Parkin sent his men into Everton's quarters with a long punt, and they had made a serious breach when Balmer headed out from McIntosh. This was followed by a grand long shot from Birnie, which carried the ball swiftly a foot outside the net. The cohesion on both sides was very good, and the general character of the game sparkling with good points. At the end of twenty minutes' play the Blues took up a strong position just outside the penalty area, where Everton's inside trail indulged in pretty footwork. Suddenly Freeman found an opening and completely disfounded Raeside with a superb drive which carried the leather into the corner of the net. Freeman was the outstanding figure in the forward line, and delighted by his crisp incisive methods. The Blues were easily masters of the situation and were able to indulge in stylish football. Freeman made a breach in the Bury centre, and shot with tremendous forced only however, to put the ball over the bar. Turner forced a corner but Dewhurst headed out of the goalmouth. McIntosh netted for Bury after being whistled offside. Allan fouled Birnie but Macconnachie neutralised. Allen was all the time a tireless grafter. Millington cleared a dangerous low centre from Turner. After thirty minutes Coleman mancurved cleverly, and hooked the ball in, Pinkney who centred the ball dropping at Gourlay's feet. He was quite unmarked and scored Everton's third goal with a deadly straight drive. Half-time Everton 3, Bury nil.

Judging by the exhibition in the first half the Shakers had little prospect of wiping off any arrears when they returned to the field. They, however, attacked vigorously in the first minutes, and both, the Everton backs were called upon. Freeman followed up a pass from Coleman, but could not outpace Parkins and next Coleman tried a move of his own, and wound up some dexterous footwork with a rousing shot which Raeside fielded manfully. Tim was certainly the cleverest forward on the field, and appeared in grand form. Still, the Shakers did not respond, although their visits were invariably futile owing to Maconnachie's alertness. Full time Everton 3; Bury nil.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph Monday 28 March 1910
Barnsley's brilliant performance at Leeds on Saturday is to-day as it was on Saturday evening, the one topic of the football world. In crowded holiday trains and popular resorts the game was discussed everywhere to-day and the question debated to the prospects of ultimate success later in the week. This morning there is a chorus of praise from the football experts, who unanimously declare that Everton were decidedly lucky escape as they did, and proclaiming the fact that Barnsley on Saturday were the better team of the two. We give below selection of views upon tie game.

The Real Barnsley
I have said that we learned one or two things at this game on Saturday, and of these perhaps the greatest thing was that Barnsley have been a much under rated team, says "Looker-On" in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph.” In Barnsley itself there has been disposition, of course, rank the side value below what it was worth, but those folks who, like myself, had only seen the Barnsley eleven on two or three occasions this season, or who hadn't seen them at all, were inclined to deduct about 25 per cent, for local prejudice. Mark you, had good precedent for so doing. How often have we heard of teams ‘which, in the opinion of their followers, were good enough to lick creation, and yet when these sides have been put to the test against a first class lot their reputation has proved to be of the bubble variety.

Lucky Everton
We know now (continues this writer) that Barnsley's reputation has been built upon sterner stuff than bubbles. They have fought a semi-final with team collected from England, Ireland and Scotland, a team representative of the wealthiest club in England, and not only did they maintain an equality on result, but actually in the eyes of all impartial observers they were superior in every department save goal-scoring, for in that respect both sides proved weak. I said on Saturday morning that I could not escape the conviction that Everton would win in the end, but that if Barnsley could upset my prophecy I would be delighted to offer them my heartiest congratulations. Well, Everton may yet win, but if they do they will be one of the luckiest sides that ever played 'neath the glitter of the glasshouse at Sydenham. To Barnsley I offer congratulations now, and I shall proceed to Manchester open mind to the eventual result. At Leeds on Saturday ten whole-hearted men clad in red shirts, plus a goalkeeper in a white sweater, showed me a way escape from that conviction of mine about Everton winning. I was glad to take it.

Last Minute Sensations.
The Yorkshiremen were out to get either the ball or the man, and Sharp and Co, scarcely ever can have been subjected to more unceremonious treatment. Summing up, the game, says the "Sportsman's,” without providing incidents upon which much of a story can be built up, was, despite its moderate class in point of, purely, football, quite an attractive one to watch, for a victory might have been snatched by either side in the very last minute, but, speaking quite impartially, it was an occasion upon which Barnsley, fore and aft, on the one side, reached their highest degree of merit, away from their own peculiar stronghold, while Everton, upon the other hand, indicated the depths to which really formidable attack can descend.

What Did the Yorkshiremen?
Why did Barnsley take the honours in this drawn game?” asks “Tityrus” in the “Athletic News.” That they enjoyed considerably the better of the argument cannot be denied. In the first' place they had wing forwards who were faster than the opposing defenders. Forman was too speedy for both Val Harris and Clifford, while Bartrop, once the run, could outpace Maconnachie, these men were well served it goes without saying that the Yorkshiremen were repeated raiders. These forwards over and over again led attacks, but as it happened none were crowned. We have been told about the superiority of the Everton half-backs. We had no irrefutable evidence to this effect. The middle line of Barnsley seldom made mistake. Utley never allowed Jack Sharp any latitude. The famous international captain of Everton was as subdued as a policeman who scorns the idea “getting a case.” Glendenning was Barlow's master, and Boyle was resplendent rover.

Praise for Ness.
Look the match from any standpoint (continues the writer), and it is impossible to resist the conclusion that Barnsley played the better game. Certainly they were the cleverer, whatever they may be on Thursday. The forward play Everton was not much better than at Coventry, but there was an improvement because the Barnsley half-backs were so much superior to Hickleton, Bradley, and Chaplin. The defence Everton was admirable. No fault could found with the backs, and indeed the back play in the match attained a high standard. Turning to individual criticism, I hold the opinion that was unquestionably the best back on the field, fit take a place any team, he was wonderfully accurate in his returns. With ball that was lively, and oven quixotic, he was never at a loss. His judgment was never failing, and his right foot is worth insuring, although is a left back.

How Forwards Were Stopped.
Dashing in attack, Barnsley were splendidly dependable in defence (says the "Daily Chronicle”)., The backs. Downs and Ness, never made a mistake that was serious, and their quickness on the ball they did much distress the Everton forwards, of whom Young worked hardest without doing much that was really good. Sharp and the amateur, G. H. Barlow, played very inconspicuous parts, whilst Freeman was so hampered and bustled that he never got in a shot.

Barnsley's Wonderful Determination
Nothing in the match struck one more than the wonderful determination that meant knowledge of their own ability displayed by the Barnsley eleven, remarks the London "Telegraph” expert. Possessed of wonderful pace, the whole side played in a manner that showed that they regarded lightly the acknowledged superiority of their First League opponents, and these men, most of them of no high repute, simply took all the superiority out of their rivals. It was, indeed, a case of supposition. Barnsley proved themselves the better side, in pace, skill, and stamina. Only a wonderful defence saved Everton, and, unless the Lancashire team can improve enormously at Old Trafford—the new ground of the Manchester United club—on Thursday, it is difficult to see how they can oust the Yorkshire side qualify to meet Newcastle United at. St. George's Day.

Everton Astonished.
As regards the Barnsley—Everton tie, which was played Leeds before a record crowd for an Association match in that, town, the dash and pluck of the Yorkshiremen gave them a distinct advantage throughout the game, says the “Daily Graphic.” It must also be remarked that the Barnsley Club not only showed dash and vigour, but conclusively demonstrated that they were quite proficient in the finer arts of combination—a tact which seemed to astonish their more famous opponents from Liverpool.

Barnsley Should Win.
The “Birmingham Post” says once again the Everton eleven sadly disappointed their friends. Opposed Barnsley, at Leeds, the Goodison Park men gave slip-shod, uneven display, and might readily have been defeated had the Yorkshire team met with any good fortune. The Barnsley goalkeeper had scarcely anything to do throughout the match, and although Scott was much busier, he was so well covered the backs that he few anxious moments. At Coventry, it may be remembered, Everton played a very unsatisfactory game for team with such a reputation, and it appears fairly evident that the men do not play to this reputation. Age is beginning to tell its tale, and in the re-played match on Thursday, at Old Trafford, it will cause no great surprise if Barnsley prove victorious.

Strong and Workmanlike.
Barnsley are a strong and workmanlike team, says the "Liverpool Post,” who may go far as their admirers hope. Ness and Downs are an admirable pair of backs, while Boyle, at centre half, plays not only with his feet but his heed. The forwards lack only the art of finishing well. Once they can command this they may be regarded serious competitors for the Cup.

No Fluke.
The Barnsley team showed that was through no fluke that they have reached the semi-final ties, remarks the “Liverpool Courier.” Their backs and halves, taken collectively, are fit to rank with the best possessed any club in the country. No wonder after Saturday's exhibition that they have only had one goal scored against them in tire competition. Their forwards, too, know well where the goal lies, and the pace of the outside men, Bartrop and Forman, stands them in good stead. Whether the wider ground Old Trafford suite them as well as the enclosure remains to be seen, but that they will make Everton all the way to victory is assured.

Where Barnsley Failed.
The young forwards of Barnsley were much too nippy for their opponents, and had they only possessed the ability to “finish” well as they played in midfieid they would have won with ease, notwithstanding the excellence of the Everton defence. But, says the ‘‘Manchester Guardian,” it was before goal that they lacked experience, and failed.

Nottingham Evening Post -Tuesday 29 March 1910
Everton Decline to Travel to Nottingham.
The re-arranged fixture between Notts, and Everton should have taken place at Trent Bridge to-day; but this morning Mr. T. Harris, the secretary of the local club, received a message, couched in abrupt telegraphic language, stating that Everton were not coming. They were negotiating with Notts, yesterday to put off the fixture in view of their replayed semi-final Cup-tie with Barnsley this week but up to late hour last night fresh understanding had been arrived at, and consequently Notts, fully expected the Goodison Park team.

Naturally enough, therefore, their telegram this morning came as a bolt from the blue, and certainly Notts, appear to have a grievance, for this is driving things much too fine. The postponement of the match is be regretted, for doubt the " gate" would have been a good one, Everton being a particularly attractive "dish" just now, and many people had come to Nottingham to witness the match. The authorities will, of course, see that Notts, receive ample compensation from the monetary point of view, but to organization which must keep faith with its public as far as possible; Everton's defection to-day is by no means a light matter.

March 29, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 31)
AT Bury, before 7,000 spectators. These combatants being in the running for League honours added materially to the attractiveness of the engagement. Everton started facing a bright sun, but with the wind behind. Bury lost McMahon and Stanfield through injuries, Jones scored for Everton. Interval Everton 1, Bury nil. Bury played nine men for the rest of the game, and struggle manfully, but unavailing. Jones again scored, and Everton won by 2 goals to nil.

Nottingham Evening Post -Wednesday 30 March 1910
Sir, —I came in Nottingham to-day from Barnston witness the match between Notts, and Everton. I always come to the Notts, matches, and my only reason for coming Nottingham was to see Notts, play and win. I and several more who came in the same train from adjacent places and went down to Trent Bridge were much surprised and mortified. We might have done much better without railway fares. If the announcement of the postponement of the match had been advertised in the papers should have seen it. I always myself take the Nottingham “Daily Express," but it would have been better if the evening newspaper of Monday. If League clubs cannot carry out their obligations better than this they should get Junior Alliance officials to run their shows. I reckon such a fiasco a disgrace to League football. It is worse than the old days of do-as-you-like amateurs. —Yours, &c., March 29th. G. (Barnston).

Notts -Everton
Nottingham Evening Post -Wednesday 30 March 1910
Apropos of the disappointment of a large number people through the non-appearance Everton to play their match Notts, at Trent Bridge it understood that Notts, in ordinary circumstances would not have objected to releasing the Liverpool team from their engagement. But the home club are not m a position to lose a "holiday rate,” was they were anxious for Everton to send a team. The League were asked by Notts, for a ruling on question, but nothing was heard from them, “and Everton on their own responsibility declined to play. The postponement caused a great deal of inconvenience to Notts, supporters. Hundreds of people went down to Trent Bridge, and when they found out what had taken place they said some justifiable things about unbusinesslike methods. For a considerable part of the afternoon Trent Bridge was occupied by large groups of football enthusiasts discussing with more or less vigour situation and its possible results.

Dundee Courier -Wednesday 30 March 1910
Considerable disappointment was occasioned in Nottingham yesterday by the wholly unexpected postponement of the League match between Notts County and Everton. In preparation for the replayed semi-final with Barnsley, Everton intimated by wire on Monday a desire to arrange another date, but in view of the value the holiday fixture the Notts directors could not see their way to comply. Yesterday a communication was received from Everton intimating that they did not propose to undertake the journey. Their action being, it is understood, officially unauthorized, may lead serious financial responsibility. Brilliant weather prevailed, warranting anticipations of a big gate.

March 30, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 32)
At Workington, yesterday before 7,000 spectators. Everton first attack brought a goal. Mountford tricking the home backs, and putting the ball past Carter. Workington had the better of the game to the interval, But Berry was admirable in goal, and Everton still led at the interval. Immediately after crossing over Woods equalised after McCallum had missed an open goal. Play was spirited to the finish, and a one all draw resulted.





March 1910