Everton Independent Research Data


March 3 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Within the brief period of seven days the Everton team have been seen in two quite dissimilar moods. At Bristol in the Cup-tie they proved themselves equal to the task not only of preventing their opponents from playing a style of game that carried them into the third round, but of embarking upon a plan of campaign that would have unhinged even the stoutest defence in the County. At Tyneside on Saturday was witnessed the reverse side of the picture so far as Everton were concerned, and they were subjected to the severe treatment by the Novcoistrians as had been meted out of the Bristolians. Such is the topsy turveydom of football form, which by its uncertainly gives a piquancy to the sport that is calculated to upset all comparative weighting up to form. The United a week ago were a poor team at Anfield and showed no improvement at home in the replay. On the face of it, it appeared a walk-over for the Blues, who had visions of wiping out that ugly defeat at Goodison early in the season. Their hopes were accentuated by the fact that the Newcastle directors were hard pressed to place a representative side in the field, but as often happens the newcomers were all out to give of their best, and the team as a whole completely upact the calculations of the critics.

Everton were of course severely handicapped by an injury to Wareing, for they had to contest the greater portion of the game with ten men; still, they were well beaten when at full strength, and it was only by the strenuous efforts of the depleted forces that the margin of scoring was kept within reasonable limits. There was only a moderate display of linking up of the halves and forwards, and in addition the backs were not nearly so accurate in their interceptions and clearances as usual, so that there was a general falling away from the standard which had characterised recents displays. There had been five changes of position in the home ranks, and they worked out for the general good. The half backs played an untiring game throughout, and the return of Veitch at such a crisis was a highly successful happening so far as his club was concerned. The ball was placed to the forwards with the greatest precision with a resultant aggressiveness, while the Everton attack by comparison was not convincing, and most of their work was of the individual rather than free and concerted order. However, the injury to Wareing whose position of course is the most vital in the team, had undoubtedly much to do with their shortcoming, for by his deflection there was little hope of the side making a good recovery. Still neither Stevenson nor Macconnachie showed their usual resource in combating the onslaughts of the United wingers, while Caldwell was at fault in leaving his goal when the first reverse came about as there was a possibility at the time of the backs saving the situation.

The goals were scored by Stewart and Shepherd, but the Evertonians had their chances and failed to ulilise them. Lawrence brought off a remarkably fine save from Browell in the second half, while in the closing minute Beare let slip an easy chance of reducing the lead. Houston played a hard and plucky game, and had the line remained intact probably a different result would have been recorded. There was no other striking personality on the side, while the ex-Liverpool player, McDonald, who with Wilson formed a powerful left wing, best represented the United attack. McTavish had a good time at Macconnachie's expense, and Shepherd displayed some of his old form. The halves and rearguard gave a good account of themselves, and taking the team as a body they were good value for their victory. But Everton were unfortunate on Saturday and a better display is anticipated next Saturday.

Teams: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, Hudspeth, and Hay, backs, Hewison, Veitch, and Jobey, half-backs, McTarish, Stewart, Shepherd, G. Wilson, and McDonald, forwards. Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Browell, and Beare forwards. Referee A. Adams.

Athletic News - Monday 03 March 1913
Everton are looking forward to a stern struggle with Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park.  They have had previous experience of their opponents in the same tourney, so that they have a pretty accurate idea of the strength of their rivals, and what will be required if they are to win.  The players are undergoing their preparation at home, though they have had a slight change from their usual routine.  Last Wednesday they went to Newcastle, which enabled them to witness Liverpool’s overthrow there, and subsequently they made their headquarters at Teignmouth, in readiness for their League engagement with the United on the following Saturday.  They returned to Liverpool after this match, and though they may spend a day at Southport or West Kirby this week, they will accomplish their training at Goodison Park.  “Junius” notes that Wareing was injured at Newcastle, but should this prove only a temporary affair, there can be no doubt about the constitution of Everton’s rear division against the Athletic.  It will be Caldwell; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Harris, Wareing, Grenyer.  What the forward line will be cannot be definitely stated at present, for the team will not be chosen before Tuesday evening, at the weekly meeting of the directors.  There are the following players from which to make a selection;- Houston, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Browell (T.), Beare, and Bradshaw.  At Bristol the first five mentioned made a sad example of the Rovers, and it would again doing duty.  On the other hand, with Browell in the centre, Bradshaw would have a chance of figuring at inside-left.  Some alteration has been made in the usual prices of admission.  On the Goodison-road and Stanley Park goal double-deck stands the prices for seats, which are all reserved, range from 2s, 6d to 2s.  On the Bullens-road stand reserved seats are 5s and 3s. and the paddock in front 1s.  Other parts of the ground remain at 6d.  With the advantage of playing at home Everton should manage to win. 
On the other hand, “Watchman” declares that the Oldham Athletic players are confident of success, and they will have a big following to Liverpool.  The men are all reported fit, but on Saturday Walter was still limping badly as the result of his injury.  In their game with West Bromwich Hodson, Donnachie, and Walters were all resting, but Cook was given a trial with a view to testing his knee, and apparently he came through all right, and will be fit to turn out should his services be required, which should not be necessary after the display Cope gave in the replay at Old Trafford on Wednesday.  The transfer of Hunter has not strengthened the hopes of the club’s supporters, and it is understood that Toward is to occupy his position.  After the Albion match Matthews, Cook, Cope, Moffatt, Toward, Wilson (D.), Wilson (C.), Tummon, Walters, Kemp, Gee, Woodger, and Donnachie all left for St. Annes, where they will rest until tomorrow.  The whole of the training is to be done in the Oldham district, and the same routine will be followed as for the previous rounds.  The team will not be selected until the last minute. 

March 3 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton defeated Burslem Port Vale by two goals to nil, the points being scored by Brannick and Gault. The game opened at a fast pace, but the Blues later gained the upper hand Batcup was lucky on several occasions in clearing his lines until Brannick receiving from Simpson, raced between the backs and gave the custodian little chance of saving. Everton thus led at the interval by a goal to nil. Everton monopolised the play in the second half, and Smith and Stevens put across some delightful centres. From one of these a scrimmage ensued in the goalmouth. A. Browell just putting outside. A corner taken by Stevens enabled Gault to score as second. Hodge in goal, had little to do, while Simpson and Page both played well, Gourlay being the best half, and Gault, Brannick and Smith the pick of the forwards. The Port Vale were best served in defence. Everton: - Hodge, goal, Page, and Simpson, backs, Parkers, A. Browell, and Gourlay (Captain), half-backs, Smith, Brannick, Simms, Gault, and Wright forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 03 March 1913
At Newcastle, before 35.000 spectators. Newcastle were without McCrackcn, and Rutherford. Veitch coming into the team after four months' absence. Play was evenlv contested, both goalkeepers being severely tested. Shepherd had hard lines three times with terrific drives, but after half an hour Stewart one of his shots into the net. Shepherd scored Newcastle's second. Everton lost the services of Wareing. Interval: —Newcastle United 2 goals Everton none. Everton resumed without Wareing, but they made a big fight, only to be repulsed almost every time. When Hudspeth missed his kick. Browell had a gilt-edged chance at six-yards. but Lawrence saved; It was a rousing game. Everton contesting every Inch of the ground, and kept the Newcastle backs busy. Hewison was very fine in defence towards the finish. The United monopolised the play, but could make no further score. Result; Newcastle United 2 goals; Everton none.

March 3 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round Four
Once again Everton have disappointed their numerous admirers. Bad shooting, coupled with the brilliance of Matthews, gave Oldham an odd goal victory, which they hardly deserved. On the general run of the play, as is often the case in Cup-ties, victory went not to the cleverer team, but to the side that scored. For eighty-five minutes play the struggle was waged in Oldham territory, and Oldham had to be content with merely resisting. The footwork and passing of the Everton forwards was ofimes really brilliant, but alas; it availed them not. Probably if they had a little less science, and greater dash, backed up by strong shooting, Everton would now be in the semi-final stages of the competition. The Everton forwards simply played into the hands of their opponents by playing too close together, and overdoing their passing movements. Instead of banging away at goal whenever they got the slightest chance, they courted disaster by close dribbling, and they were slow in realising the fact that with the Oldham halves and backs, it is case of man or ball, with a fondness for the men. As already indicated, Oldham owed their victory not so much to any real brilliance on their own part, but to the shortcoming of their opponents. But although the Oldham attacks were very spasmodic, their long swinging passes and centres had always an element of danger to them, and on two occasions Tummon came near to finding the target with uninterrupted shots.

The Everton players had not got into their proper stride before they found themselves a goal in arrear, a feeble clearance by Caldwell enabling Oldham to score. At the end of six minutes' play a free kick taken by Moffat, ended in Bradbury shooting low. Caldwell rushed out, but only partially cleared, Gee rushing up, and placing into the net. After this, it was one long story of spirited raids by the Everton forwards, but their final efforts were not convincing. Beare and Bradshaw several times carried play right into the jaws of the goal, but what shots were forthcoming were either lacking in force or charged down. One grand centre from the left gave Houston a glorious opening, but he failed completely. Bradshaw, who cleverly worked his way past half a dozen opponents, only for Moffatt to be allowed to incept at the crucial moment, provided a real thrill. At this period the well organised movements of the Everton forwards frequently led to the Oldham backs being placed in difficulties, but what the Everton men lacked was real shooting powers. They certainly did show improvement in this respect in the second half, and the Oldham goal had several narrow escapes. Jefferis in one tremendous drive which would have overcome most keepers, but Matthews absolutely refused to be beaten. A goal seemed certain when Browell dashed between the backs and shot from close range, but Matthews threw himself full length and keep the ball out with his right hand –a truly remarkable save. Later on Browell made another fine effort only for Matthews to turn the ball over the bar with the tips of his fingers. In the closing stages there was no slackening of efforts, but Everton's chances were reduced by the policy of the Oldham backs in kicking into touch whenever danger threatened.

One point in Oldham's favour was that they were much the heavier set of players and they made the most of their weight. This largely accounted for the small parts taken in the struggle by the respective Everton wingers, for while Beare found Moffatt a big obstacle, Houston was never a match for Wilson. Bradshaw and Jefferis were the best of the Everton forwards, Browell not being at all prominent, principally owing to the close attention he received from Toward. Wareing was greatly missed at centre half, for Harris although a hard worker would have been seen to better advantage at right half, where Fleetwood was never more than moderate. Stevenson was the better of the backs, Macconnachie not being so reliable in his kicking as he usually is while Caldwell in goal was decidely shaky. He dealt was easy shots in a very unconvincing manner, and the was to some extent to blame for Oldham's early lead. Oldham's real worth lay in their defence for while Cook and Hodson were a sturdy pair of backs, and left nothing to chance, Matthews in goal was invincible. The chief factor in Oldham's stubborn resistance, however, was David Wilson. This player was always intercepting passes, and besides keeping the Everton right wing, and more particularly Houston, well in check, he repeatedly went to the assistance of the backs. It was really surprising the amount of useful work. Wilson got through. Toward, although not the equal of Hunter, nevertheless gave a good account of himself, as also did Moffatt, the intermediate line being a most formidable trio. The Oldham forwards did not play a prominent part in the struggle, and Bradley, who took the place of Kemp, did not come up to expectations while Tummon lacked his old partner Walters . Teams: - Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Fleetwood, Harris, and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Beare, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Hodson, and Cook, backs, Moffatt, Toward, and D. Wilson, Half-backs, Tummon, Gee, Bredbury, Woodger, and Donnachie, forwards. Referee A.H. Oakley.

March 6, 1913.

March 10 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
One of the best performances of the day was Everton Reserves' victory at Oldham, the Athletic having an eye on the championship. All the scoring took place in the first half, when Brannick got through twice, and the home team failed to responded.

Nottingham Evening Post - Monday 10 March 1913
W. Scott, Leeds City’s Irish International goalkeeper, who was secured from Everton at the commencement of the present season, has been put on the transfer list his own request.

Athletic News - Monday 10 March 1913
Everton 0 Oldham Athletic 1
BY Junius
By means of a goal scored in the first five minutes at Goodison Park, Oldham Athletic qualified for admission into the semi-final of the Football Association Cup competition for the first time in their career. That they were exceedingly fortunate in securing this distinction will be admitted. I should imagine, by all who saw the game, and weighed the abilities of the respective combatants with an unbiased mind. Cup-ties are won and lost by goals; the team that can pilot the ball into the net once, no matter whether skillfully or luckily, triumphs over the side that cannot achieve this feat, even though in general excellence it far outpoints the opposition in every other respect. I do not wish to detract one whit from the credit which is due to Oldham for defeating Everton on the Goodison sward;  there are few teams than can boast of such an accomplishment in Cup-tie warfare; hence to the men from Spindledom must be awarded high praise. In one respect they were immeasurably superior to their opponents; they had a goalkeeper of transcendental merit in their ranks, one whose clearances would have stiffened the backs of an otherwise feeble defence had that been in evidence. Everton were not favourably situated, and the feebleness of Caldwell’s efforts must have exercised a detrimental effect on the play of the pair immediately in front him. It was bad defence that gave Oldham their goal; apart from this one shot which scored, these were not three others which would have caused a mere novice to flinch emanating from the winners' front line. Everton failed in gloriously near goal time and time again, but even with all their frailties in this respect, they gave Matthews a grueling time of it shortly after the change of ends, and in a great measure the ability of the custodian was responsible for Oldham entering the penultimate stage of the Cup tourney. The latter were triumphant, but they were not the better team, for during three-quarters the contest they were engaged in defence.
There were two primary causes of Everton’s defeat which stood out boldly and convincingly throughout the game. In the first place their forwards indecisive bear goal; not always, for in the early stages of the second half and at intermittent intervals they gave Matthews some most difficult shots to stop, but there remains the fact that they gained openings repeatedly before the interval that ought to have produced some tangible result.  Movements were initiated by their capable half-backs that were adroitly accepted by the men in front, and as the line swept down, often in irresistible fashion, the crowning glory of a goal seemed assured.  But no; this was not to be; a casual blunder, a tantalizing dalliance, or a fortunate cannon in turn exercised its fatal influence, and the rosy anticipation that had been augmented by each successive onward step in neutral territory to the imaginary actual goal were promptly swept into space, and scattered into thin air thereby.  The fine links in the forward chain were not constituted of equally tempered metal; there was a flaw in it, and this was in the centre, where Browell was again deputed to lead the attack.  At rare intervals he exhibited smart footwork, just this and this alone.  Twice after the change of ends he extended Matthews to the utmost a poor return for ninety minutes’ striving.  Browell was not the true pivot in the Everton advances, for he seldom opened out the play to his wings, and just as infrequently gave the Oldham custodian cause for uneasiness.  Judging from the manner in which they were playing it seemed to me that bit would have been a wise policy for Browell and Bradshaw to have changed places.  This suggestion may appear dreadfully unorthodox for there is apparently a high-bound envelopment surrounding the selection of a team and its subsequently doings on the field; but Browell’s fragility in the centre, considered in conjunction with his more effective work would at least have justified the trial of such an experiment.  The consequences thereof could not have been of less material benefit to Everton than those which actually transpired in point of effectiveness, Bradshaw was the best forward on the field, though in the second half I thought he might have plied Beare with the ball more frequently.  Better still in my opinion would have been an alteration in tactics on the part of the whole front rank, for Everton worked out their advances –and cleverly executed they were –on stereotyped lines which admirably suited the solid resisters who constituted the Oldham half-back division.  Seldom did they flash the ball from the right wing to the extreme left, or rice-versa. Consequently in spite of the skill which had brought movements to the verge of fruition the defenders were always' masters of the situation when the final touches were required. The latter were seldom flurried by an unexpected cross-drives, though one attempt of this from Bradshaw gave Houston a glorious chance of equalizing, but the Irishman seemed somewhat surprised at the opportunity. With two speedy wingers like Beare and Houston available, their pace must have eventually told a tale on the ponderous full backs opposed to them; and yet the play was confirmed more to the centre, where Browell the feeblest individual in attack was located. Jefferis played well, and Houston combined smartly with him, but neither was consistent in finishing. There were many crafty centres projected by the outside right which merited a better fate, and which might have produced tangible results had a less worthy custodian than Matthews tenanted the Oldham goal.  Bradshaw gave the keeper more uneasiness than all the other forwards combined, and it was unfortunate for Everton that his endeavours were not more ably supported by his comrades.
Oldham's Daring Experiments
And yet there were prolonged periods when these forwards, aided by their half-backs, simply smothered their opponents, who had to be content with acting the part of checkers.  During the greater portion of the first half Oldham were kept on the defensive, and it redounds to their infinite credit that they kept they goal inviolate, and absolutely refused to surrender to an enemy that was exhibiting football of an infinitely superior quality to their own in the matter of attack.  No doubt the introduction of Bradbury to the centre position in the Oldham front line was keenly discussed by their officials, but it seemed a daring experiment to introduce the Aberdare recruit into the team on such an important occasion.  Physically he was well adapted for the berth, and displayed plenty of dash, but he was not particularly prominent in keeping the wings moving smoothly.  Tummon was not overburdened with work, but he shaped creditably with the chances he did secure, and on two occasions missed scoring with shots which struck the woodwork.  Gee gained renown by obtaining the all-important goal which decided the contest, but otherwise he was not very prominent.  By far the best football came from the left wing, and this inspite of the fact that Woodger was not a noticeable performer in the first half.  For accurate command of the ball none could compare with Donnachie, but he did not centre so skillfully as usual, and the Oldham forwards were a feebler set them their opponents near goal.  That they did manage to score was more the result of weakness on the part of the Everton defence, than any particular excellence of their own; they have, however, the satisfaction of knowing that one chance came to them which they accepted, whereas Everton had opportunities galore and refused all.  This is the fortune of war, and the fickle goddess once flouted is apt to frown.
Valliant Half-Backs
I have nothing but praise to accord the half-backs of the respective sides.  Everton tried Val Harris at centre, due, I believe to the exhibition he gave against the English eleven at Belfast, and Fleetwood figured on the right, these changes being necessary owing to Wareing’s unfitness.  The latter fairly waded into the cleverest part of the Oldham attack, and so effectively did he deal with it, that it was only at intervals that the undoubtedly capable left wing of the visitors could assert itself.  His sturdy interventions shattered their well-conceived advances, and his footwork was most effective, for he kept a close touch also with his own wingers.  Harris was a great success, and Grenyer equally so; the latter had a severe shaking up when he collided with Moffatt, as had Fleetwood when he mixed matters with Cook, but the four players soon resumed, having gained an added respect for each other by their sudden acquaintanceship.  The Everton forwards could not complain of lack of support, for the opposition in effective style, but gave them repeated chances of making headway.  Oldham’s three were a zealous line of strivers persistent and unceasing in their attentions.  Wilson was perhaps the most prominent and I should say that the word beaten does not occur in his vocabulary.  These half-backs were not particularly dainty in their work; they were there as a solid set of resisters that defied every onslaught, and were not to be circumvented until every vestige of their dour and determined opposition had been forced aside.  Toward plodded along in the centre, and carefully attended to Browell, while Moffatt who had a warm time with Bradshaw, took and gave with impartial generosity.  This was the foundation of the Oldham team; the solid rock upon which the victory was developed, and with Matthews keeping a watchful guard over the erection, a vigilant sentinel that nothing could evade, the men of Oldham were enabled to return home rejoicing, taking their goat with them.  I come now to the least satisfactory portion of the Everton team.  In the early stages Macconnachie did not time his returns cleanly or with accurate direction.  His two first clearances were very weakly accomplished, and some time elapsed before he settled down to more consistent efforts. 
Caldwell’s Blundering
Subsequently he gave a more reliable exhibition, but taken all round the left full-back scarcely did himself justice in this game.  Stevenson was the more effective, and seemed to take a delight in having a tussle with his old club mate, Donnachie.  The pair had many interesting duels, and the honours were fairly evenly divided at the close.  Stevenson’s kicking was of good length, and his defence was sound.  Caldwell was completely off colour, for he was uncertain in his clearances, and got the ball away badly.  The only goal of the game should have been prevented, and in addition the Everton custodian fumbled and blundered with simple-looking shots that need not have occasioned trouble to any keeper.  In direct contrast was the exhibition given by Matthews for the visitors and as far as I can gather he only made one mistake, that being when he failed to kick the ball after Houston had centred.  However, there was no Everton player at hand to profit by the error.  Apart from this he brought off some brilliant saves, and one from Browell, at full length, with outstretched arm was especially clever.  There were many others of almost equal merit, and Matthews can look back upon this victory with feelings of supreme satisfaction, for he was largely responsible for its acquisition.  Hodgson and Cook were sturdy kickers, and made no mistakes about their intentions.  They were there to clear danger, and as this necessitated kicking the ball they did not fail to pound it with ponderous lunges.  Typical examples were they of the efficiency of avoirdupois over lighter craft, and to them must also be awarded a fair mood of praise for their share in the proceedings.
Gee’s Goal
This was Oldham’s fourth attempt to beat Everton, for two meetings were necessary in 1907-8 to decide the winner, while last year they were defeated at Boundary Park.  Their success therefore did not come out of turn, and it is possible that their defence may carry them even a step nearer the Palace.  One goal decided the issue of this Cup-tie, and was obtained about five minutes after the start.  A free kick had been awarded Oldham for a foul, when Moffatt placed the ball towards goal, and Bradbury seemed likely to reach it first.  However, Caldwell came out and knocked the ball away just as the Oldham player intended to shoot, but this was only a partial save, and Gee, veering inwards, screwed the ball into the open goal.  Nothing further was registered, and Oldham entered the semi-final by this margin.  Everton; Caldwell; Stevenson, Macconnachie; Fleetwood, Harris, Grenyer; Houston, Jefferis, Browell (T.), Bradshaw, and Beare.  Oldham Athletic;- Matthews; Hodson, Cook; Moffatt, Toward, Wilson (D.); Tummon, Gee, Bradbury, Woodger, and Donnachie.  Referee; A.H. Oakley, Wolverhampton. 

Athletic News - Monday 10 March 1913
Oldham Athletic made a poor show in their game with Everton. Right from the start Oldham appeared a beaten side, the visitors being faster and more polished, while the defence like the attack, was very smart.  Oldham were well served by their intermediate line, but the forwards were woefully weak, displaying little or no combination, and with a defence none too strong Brannick scored both goals for Everton, the Athletic failing to respond .

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 13 March 1913
At Goodison Park yesterdav, before 7,000 spectators. Everton played Hodge in goal, and made other changes from the side defeated in the Cup. The visitors were the smarter side from the outset, but they finished badly, though Hodge once saved cleverly from Gillespie. The United continued to have the better of the play, Hodge bringing off some smart saves. Everton were not nearly smart than the visitors. At the interval there was score. The second half was only a few minutes old when Kitchen scored for the visitors. Play was very moderate, and although Everton improved their shooting was weak. and Gourtay missed narrowly, and the other end Revil shot high over the bar. Play became keener near the close, but the United retained their lead. Result: —Sheffield United goal, Everton none.

March 13, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The one redeeming feature of Everton's display against Sheffield United at Goodison Park, yesterday, was the fine performance of Hodge, the reserve goalkeeper. Before the season opened Hodge created a most favourable impression in the practice games, and as Caldwell's goalkeeping has on several occasions not been at all convincing, it has been a surprise to many that the reserve'keeper has not been made more use of. This was his first appearance with the League team, and but for his really clever goalkeeping, Sheffield would have won by a wider margin. He certainly made a mistake in the second half when he rushed out to meet Revill, the ball being placed over the bar when the goal was tenantless, but this was his only mistake, and he frequently earned ringing applause for clever saves, particularly in the first half. In other respects, the display of the Everton team was most disappointing, and Sheffield deserved their one goal victory. As was the case in the cup-tie on Saturday, the Everton forwards were sadly lacking in penetrative skill. There was again far too much close dribbling, and their entire lack of finishing power made the Sheffield backs look more formidable than they really were. It was certainly more by good luck than good management that several likely shots by Everton were charged down, but on the other hand the Sheffield keeper had very few difficult shots to dispose of.

Browell made one or two fine efforts in the second half, but of late he has shown a big falling off in marksmanship, and he is not near so apt, with first-time shots as he was not so long ago. Yesterday he was given several good openings, which he failed to turn to account. Brannick, who partnered Houston on the right wing, was never more than moderate, and although Bradshaw showed clever individual work, he was inclined to neglect Beare, who after all, was much more resourceful than Houston at outside right. No fault could be found with the Everton halves. Harris put in a lot of useful work, and Gourlay kept Pearson and Revill well in check. The Everton defence was none too reliable, and an undue amount of work fell to Stevenson through the many failings of Holbem, who took the place of Macconnachie at left full back. Kitchen and Simmons were the pick of the Sheffield forwards, and their defence was sound.

Little need be said of the game itself, for it never reached a high level. Sheffield United had the best of the argument in the first half, and right at the start Hodge had a hot shot to stop from Gillespie. He also saved smartly from Kitchen and Revill. The Sheffield goal had one narrow escape just before the interval, Gourlay getting in a strong drive, and the ball cannoning off Hufton's shoulder on to the crossbar. The second half had only been in progress three minutes when Sheffield gained the lead. Following a throw in Hodge breasted the ball out when in a tight corner but before he could recover Kitchen scored with a shot which gave the home keeper no chance of saving. After this Everton did most of the attacking, but although the passing of the forwards was really clever at times, they failed to press home their attacks. Browell twice sent over the bar, and Hufton saved a strong shot from Beare, and also a dangerous header from Barrnick. Teams: - Everton: - Hodge, goal Stevenson, and Holbem, backs, Gourlay, Harris (Captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Brannick, Browell, and Beare, forwards. Sheffield United: - Hufton, goal, Cook, and Benson, backs, Brelsford, Wilkinson, and Sturgess, half-backs, Simmons, Kitchen, Gillespie, Pearson, and Revill, forwards. Referee Mr. Gardner.

Athletic News - Monday 17 March 1913
Chelsea 1 Everton 3
By Invicta
To the supporters of the Chelsea club the comparative ease with which Everton scored goals and won on Saturday was a very unpleasant surprise. Their team, strengthened in two important positions, had given a good account of itself in the two previous matches, but on Saturday there were obvious weaknesses. The ground was dry and hard, and a strong and fickle wind made football difficult. The Chelsea players found the ball too lively for them, while the Everton men were faster, and found less difficulty in the conditions. But the principal contributing factor in the result was an injury sustained by Hunter twenty minutes from the start. After the usual attention from the trainer he resumed with a limp which gradually became more obvious as the game progressed. He stuck pluckily to his work, but towards the end of the match he was quite unable to cope with his opponents. This weakness in an important link of the defensive chain threw the whole team out of gear. And matters were made worse by the fact that Beare was much too fast for Sharp to successfully deal with. But it occurred to me that if Calderhead and Taylor had devoted more attention to defeuce the result might have been improved upon. Possibly the fact that Everton scored an early goal caused them to spend more of their energies in attack, on the principle that a goal scored was of the highest value under such circumstances.
As Chelsea played rather better than Everton to begin with, the goal scored by their visitors was rather a facer. It came owing to Beare’s speed carrying him suddenly away after Chelsea had been attacking. His goal was such that one needs to know his intention before deciding upon its merits; but he “appeared " to lift the ball with excellent judgment, just too high for Molyneux to reach and with just sufficient strength to drop behind the goalkeeper into the net. Judged by this standard the goal was a very fine one. Everton led by this point at the interval.  But on two other occasions they had the ball in the network, once by Bradshaw from egregiously offside position, and again by Davidson from one of Beare’ centres. Mr. Pearson decided with great promptitude that the outside left was also offside, but if he had allowed the goal he would not have heard many complaints.  Chelsea’s contributions towards the art of scoring in the first half were as good shot by Steer and a fine header by Hunter.  Early in the second half Brown hit the goalpost with a worthy shot.  Soon afterwards Browell did precisely the same thing the length of the field away, and the account was balanced.  Then Calderhead handled the ball in a safe corner of the penalty area –safe in the scene that there was no danger of a goal – and Browell successfully took the penalty kick.  I doubt if half the Everton players knew of Calderhead’s offence.  There seemed some chance of Chelsea saving the game when Steer hooked the ball over the head and through the goal after Hodge had saved a shot from Ford.  But the Everton forwards had found out Hunter’s weakness.  Several times they all but successfully raided the Chelsea defences, and at length Jefferis dribbled through and shot a splendid goal. 
The Promise of Simpson
Smarter, quicker, and cleverer, with a better-organized defence and a more penetrating attack, Everton were not only worthy winners of this match, but one could not but wonder why they had performed so comparatively badly during the season, especially before their own followers.  Hodge shaped as if he were rather nervous, Stevenson was sound and safe, and Simpson played an excellent game – in fact, the coolness, decision, and judgement of this fair-haired full-back were the subject of favourable comment from all quarters.  Gourlay was the most polished half-back, Grenyer and Fleetwood doing their best work in defence.  The experiment of playing Bradshaw in the centre and Browell inside-left worked well on this occasion.  Bradshaw played a careful, effective game, but Beare was decidedly the most useful forward.  Happy the club to have both Beare and Houston!  Lacking the effective support of their half-backs, the Chelsea full backs did fairly well.  Bettridge was hardly up to his average form.  Hunter played splendidly until his accident, Ford and Brown were Chelsea’s most effective forwards, the former playing very cleverly indeed-the greater, therefore, Simpson’s merit.  Woodward hardly found the conditions to his liking.  Many of his passes were spoiled by the wind.  Steer worked very hard.  I had not seen him before this season, but I understand his display marked an advance.  There were quite 45,000 spectators.  Chelsea;- Molyneux; Bettridge, Sharp; Taylor, Hunter, Calderhead; Ford, Freeman, Steer, V.J. Woodward and Brown.  Everton; Hodge; Stevenson, Simpson; Gourlay, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Bradshaw, Browell, and Davidson.  Referee; J.F. Pearson, Dudley. 

March 17, 1913. The Liverpool Courier
Truly the Everton team is one of the surprise packets of the season. Repeatedly have their supporters been denied the pleasure of seeing the side in their most forceful mood at Goodison Park, and yet in “away” matches the players have almost invariably maintained the best traditions of the club. This is a somewhat remarkable trait in the trend of the season's events, and had the side done at all reasonably well in their home matches they must now have been challenging the best clubs in the league for final honours. Against Oldham in the cup-tie they could anything but score, and again on Wednesday last they surrendered full points, while on Saturday, with what may be termed an experimental side, they trounced Chelsea at Stamford Bridage by three goals to one. And they were good value for their victory, which was distinctly the outside of a brilliant recovery during the last ten minutes of the game when two goals were scored. Everton's victory was at the more gratifying inasmuch as Hodge defending the breach during the whole of the game with a broken finger, an injury sustained while the players were shooting in prior to the commencement of the game.

The Everton players were good value for their points, and the enforced changes in the side did not at Any time suggest that the club was at all likely to suffer thereby. There was a capital understanding between the halves, and forwards, and the recent failings at the last lap were not a part of their programme. The footwork of the forwards in the open was supplemented by really good finishing touches, and apart from the penalty, the goals recorded by Beare and Jefferis were indeniably clever. To Beare who had been ably piled by Gourlay, fell the distinction of opening the scoring with a ball that swerved in with the wind, and completely deceived Molyneux. This was the only point recorded up to the interval, and Everton by their all-round ability fully merited their lead. The second portion was most earnestly contested, but scoring was delayed until the closing stages. Beare looked like going through when Calderwood-infringed the rule in the penalty area, and Browell drove a fast ball in to the net from the resulting penalty-kick . Then Steer reduced the lead after some fine forcing work by Ford, but a few minutes from time, when Chelsea's hopes of sharing the spoils were bright, Jefferis threaded his way through the opposing defence and finished a brilliant individual effort by flashing in a magnificent shot.

Coming to the players, Hodge must be congratulated upon his display in goal. His anticipation was generally sound, and his only defect was when he made but a partial clearance that played the way for Steer to score. Stevenson too, was up to standard, and whatever Simpson lacked in the way of interception he made amends by his bustling methods, and when in difficulties he generally succeeded in putting the ball out of play. The halves, too, gave of the best, and throughout the game were a thrustful trio, with a keen eye to the requirements of their forwards. Bradshaw played a hard robust game in the centre, and had on either side of him players, who kept at full tension throughout. He and Davidson netted the ball, but both points were disallowed owing to offside infringements, so that the virility of the line as a whole can readily be imagined. The footwork of Jefferis, the resource of Beare, and the touches of Browell to his confreres were features that stood out prominently during the whole course of the game. The home forwards were not too well supported through Hunter sustaining an injury early on, but the backs offered stubborn resistance, and Molyneux kept a good goal. Teams: - Chelsea: - Molyneux, goal, Bettridge, and Sharp, backs, Taylor, Hunter, and Calderwood, half-backs, Ford, Freeman, Steer, V.J. Woodward, and Broans, forwards. Everton: - Hodge, goal, Stevenson, and Simpson, backs, Gourlay, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis (Captain), Bradhsaw, Browell, and Davidson, forwards. Referee J.F.Pearson.

March 17, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Southport Central accomplished a smart performance by vanquishing Everton at Goodison Park by the odd goal in three. The Sandgrounders thoroughly deserved their victory for they were undoubtedly the better team, and the only noticeable weakness was a little unsteadiness in front of goal. All the goals were scored in the initial half, Stringfellow and Semple doing the needful for Southport, while Gault registered Everton's goal. The visitors have a smart winger in Semple, who repeatedly outwitted the home defence, and sent across many superb centres. The other forwards also showed good knowledge of the game, and in the defence Sully proved to be a smart tackler and also a clever initiator. The Blues were a very moderate lot, and with the possible exception of Page were much below their usual form. Teams : - Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Page, and Laurie, backs, Parker, A. Browell (Captain), and Holbem, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Brannick, Simms, Gault, and Stevens, forwards. Southport Central: - Saunders, goal, Dorward, and Wright, backs, S. Yarwood, Salley, and Bibby, half-backs, R. Turner, P. Schofield, Stringfellow, R Anderson, and Semple, forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Saturday 22 March 1913
Played at Goodison Park, yesterday in fine weather before 15,000 spectators. Everton made several changes, and Derby were without Bloomer. Play was interesting. Everton perhaps having the better of it. Scattergood was in fine form, and brought off three good saves. Derby attacked on the left, and Barnes scored. After this success Derby played much better, and the Everton defence was hard pressed. At the interval Derby led by 1 goal to none.
Derby were the smarter side on resuming, and Leonard headed into the net, but he was given offside. Later Leonard missed a good chance, and Bauchop shot wide. At the other end Jefferis missed narrowly. Leonard scored a second for Derby from a pass by Barnes. Later Caldwell saved a penalty kick, Fleetwood scored for Everton from a free kick. Play afterwards was even, and Bradshaw equalised with the last kick of the match. Result; Everton 2 goals, Derby County 2 goals.

March 23, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The outstanding feature of the game at Goodison Park was the sensational finish. A minute from the end Everton were a goal in arrears, and the spectators were already leaving the ground when Bradshaw with the last kick of the game, steered the ball into the net. The fact that no centre kick was taken left doubt in the minds of many as to whether the gaol had been allowed, and it led to some heated discussions outside the ground amongst sections of the crowd. Although unusual, however, it has happened many times that games have been won right at the close, leaving no time for a centre kick to be taken. Apart from this, the game contained several remarkable incidents, and was full of thrills, particularly in the second half. Derby were awarded a goal, which was afterwards disallowed by the referee. Caldwell had no option but to save a penalty kick for the ball was shot straight at him, and then again, the free kick from which Fleetwood scored had to be taken a second time. It was like old tames for Derby County to be at Goodison Park at Easter, and the hard fought game brought to mind the many memorable encounters between these teams when the Goodalls were connected with Derby.

The visitors were richly deserving of one if not both of the points. Everton were certainly the better team in the first twenty minutes' play, but after gaining the lead Derby held the whip hand right to the end. The greasy state of the ground was much to their liking, and the Derby men made the most of their advantage both in regard to height and weight. They were superior to Everton in defence, and their forwards swung the ball about with greater freedom than did the Everton forwards, who once again showed proneness for close dribbling. But for all that Derby owed a great deal to the soundness of their custodian. Scattergood made many fine saves, and one of the features of his clearance was the cool and sure manner in which he caught the ball from all sorts of difficult angles. On the other hand, Caldwell was also seen in good trim, and he several times earned applause for clever saves.

A beautifully accurate centre provided the first real thrill from Davidson. Jefferis shot with great force. Scattergood, who had come out of goal, beating the ball down with his hands. Browell met the rebound, and drove goalwards, the Derby keeper again saving grandly. The home forwards had opened in promising fashion, and although the Derby Halves were particularly keen in their tackling, they were frequently left behind. Scattergood next had to save from Beare, and Jefferis and a centre by Beare gave Browell a good openings, but he slipped when shooting, and the ball went just wide. After 17 minutes' play Derby gained the lead. A clever back heel touch by Bauchop left in Barnes who, after tricking Simpson, beat Caldwell with a low shot from close range. Following this success Derby redoubled their efforts, and receiving from Grimes, Barnes was again dangerous, but although he was too quick for Simpson, Stevenson charged down his shot. Everton had the lion's share of the attack all through the first half, but the Derby backs took a lot of beating, and gave nothing away. From a centre by Davidson, Bradshaw made a valiant effort, only to finally shoot just wide of the target. The occasional breakaway by the Derby forwards were always dangerous, and shortly before the interval Everton were lucky not to have a penalty kick given against them, for Harris clearly handled in the penalty area, but the incident escaped the notice of the referee. On the other hand, Bradshaw had hard lines, a shot from close range being only inches wide.

At the commencement of the second half some exciting play took place in front of the Everton goal. Caldwell got rid of one dangerous shot, and a moment or two later Leonard headed through the referee awarded a goal. The Everton players appealed against the decision on the ground that Leonard had handled, and after consulting one of the linesmen, the referee altered his decision and disallowed the goal. For the next five or ten minutes there was a succession of thrills. Jefferis darted ahead of the backs and got in a terrific drive, the ball grazing the near side post, and lodging at the side of the net. It was a particularly narrow escape for the visitors. Then came some anxious moments for the Everton defence. Caldwell made one particularly fine saved from Bauchop and immediately following Barnes got in a dangerous centre, from which Leonard scored with a shot which gave Caldwell little of no chance of saving. From the centre kick the Derby forwards swept down on the home goal, and Stevenson fouling Bauchop, Derby were awarded a penalty kick . Everton thus looked like getting into further arrears, but to the great delight of the crowd, Caldwell saved Atkins shot, and although Atkin had a glorious opening after meeting the rebound, he swept the ball wide of the target. The excitement did not end here, for Everton were awarded a free kick, just outside the penalty area. The kick had to be taken twice, owing to an infringement by the Derby men, but on the second attempt Fleetwood steered the ball into the right hand corner of the net. Both sides were now exerting themselves to the full, and Caldwell was again cheered when he saved cleverly from Sharpe. Another goal seemed certain for Derby when Stevenson let in Leonard, who raced away with only the keeper to beat. Caldwell rushed out, and succeeded in his purpose. Leonard's shot striking him in the body and going wide of the goal. Everton kept pegging away manfully. On one occasion Scattergood had to fall full length to save from Browell, and Beare also had a straight shot kept out by the Derby keeper. In the closing stages Everton made desperate efforts to equalise. Following one home attack, Gourlay got in a strong shot, which Scattergood fielded smartly. Beare, provided a good opening, which Jefferis failed to take advantage of, and then, on the last beat of the bar, so to speak, Bradshaw sent in a long shot which entered the net a foot inside the post, Scattergood being at the other end of the goal. So ended what had been a most thrilling game.

The Everton attack was not as well balanced, as one would have liked to have seen it. Brawshaw, at centre forward, imparted all the necessary dash and enterprise, but he was not a good general. He showed poor judgement in feeding the wings. Browell, at inside left was the best of the line. He was most effective in his passing, but his partner, Davidson showed poor resource, although he centred with great accuracy. Beare was clever in his footwork, but he was not given many openings. Fleetwood played a hard game at centre half, and Harris also got through a lot of useful work. Simpson, who was entrusted with the left full back position, saved one certain goal, but he had many shortcomings, and cause d Stevenson many anxious moments. The Derby players were seen to better advantage than in their game at Anfield. Sharpe was not at all prominent. Gromes being more effective at outside right, but all three of the inside men were really masterful. Buckley and Barbour were the best of the halves, and no fault could be found with the backs. Teams : - Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Stevenson, and Simpson, backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Gourlay, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis (Captain), Bradshaw, Browell, and Davidson, forwards. Derby County: - Scattergood, Atkin, and Betts, backs, Barbour, Buckley, and Bagshaw, half-backs, Halves, Grimes, Barnes, Leonard, and Bauchop, forwards. Referee Mr. Garner.

March 24 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
At Bury before, 3,000 spectators. Bury played three new men, Wilson, and Culshaw of Chorley, and Moorwood of Croston. Bury opened the scoring through Wilson, but Stevens equalised. And at the interval the score stood at one each. On resuming Stevens gave his side the lead with a beautiful shot after Whatmough missed his kick, and Smith later on burst through and scored brilliantly . Everton: - Bromilow goal, Page, and Laurie, backs, Chedgzoy, A. Browell (Captain), and Graham, half-backs, Smith, Brannick, Simms, Gault, and Stevens, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 24 March 1913
Everton 3, Woolwich Arsenal 0
By Junius
Played in an incessant downpour of rain, and on a pitch that had been rendered almost unrecognizable by the morning’s deluge, the return engagement between Everton and Woolwich Arsenal was entirely spoiled in every respect.  It had been decided by the Everton directors to allocate the proceeds of the match to their two full-backs –Stevenson and Macconnachie-but as each player had been guaranteed the sum of 500 the conditions, inclement though they were, did not affect them in a financial sense.  Macconnachie was reported unfit to take part in the proceedings.  Under the conditions which prevailed it was surprising to find the men entering into the fray with such dogged determination and producing fast and forcible football.  Many mistakes were made, but these were not nearly so numerous as might naturally have been expected.  Fortune did not favour Woolwich, for they lost the services of King-their right half-back-just before the interval, and though he re-appeared on the resumption, he only remained for a few minutes before retiring again.  Thus throughout the second stages of the proceedings the subdued Southerners had to battle with a depleted side, and it redounds to their credit that they prevented their opponents from scoring during this period.  Beare sustained a kick on the head in the first half, and the wound had to be stitched, but the outside right went the whole journey though his injury affected the efficiency of his play which prior to its happenings, had been of an especially brilliant character.
Five Fateful Minutes
For nearly twenty minutes after the start, Everton were the more dangerous team, and twice the ball was flashed against the cross-bar by Beare and Jefferis respectively.  The Arsenal defence resisted stoutly, but then ensued a remarkable revolution on the part of the Everton right wing, which in five minutes enabled them to place the ball three times past the Woolwich custodian.  Stevens, who was figuring in the home team for the first time in a League match, had just missed a fine chance of scoring from the aforementioned attempt by Jefferis, when he was again put in possession by Grenyer.  The outside left raced away, and drove across the goal mouth with great force.  Bradshaw and Jefferis, each of whom might have scored, coolly allowed the ball to travel to Beare, who was unmarked and the latter completely non-plussed Macdonald with his shot.  Two minutes later, Jefferis forged ahead, and presented his partner with a perfect pass, the consequence being that Beare evaded all opposition, and crowned his run with a grand goal.  Another minute passed, when Beare once more baffled the defence and centred perfectly to Bradshaw, who left the custodian hopeless.  Not for two months had the Everton forwards scored more than one goal on their own ground, hence these rapid successes gave the spectators cause for genuine enthusiasm.  Visions of records seemed to be looming through the drizzling downpour for on the slushy surface Bradshaw and his comrades were displaying the correct style of play to achieve such a distinction.  Yet, strange to relate, nothing further was registered by either side, and the sudden outbreak ceased quite as unexpectedly as it had originated.  There were occasions when Woolwich should have reduced the lead, but their forwards were never able to gain the mastery over the defence to which they were opposed; on the other hand, it was left to Macdonald; to check the most dangerous efforts of the Everton vanguard, and though he was responsible for two risky movements when he left his goal unprotected, he stopped some thrilling thrusts from Browell and Stevens. 
Everton Experts
Captious criticism would be manifestly unfair when the inclement conditions under which the game was contested are taken into account.  While it was difficult to maintain even a foothold on the saddened surface, the extra task of playing correct football on it was practically impossible.  Prior to the injury to Beare, the Everton tight wing was responsible for some brilliant exchanges, and the outside player was irresistible what time the goal-scoring was in progress.  Bradshaw fairly reveled in the going, and Browell put in some of his old-time drives that merited a substantial reward.  Stevens shaped well and might with advantage be afforded a further opportunity of exhibiting his abilities.  The return of Wareing and Grenyer to the half-back line produced a great improvement in the efficiency of this division, which gave a creditable display all round.  Simpson, at left full-back proved a sturdy defender; he times his interventions judiciously, and cleared danger in no half-hearted fashion.  There is no hesitancy about this young man, and neither the quality nor the quantity of the opposition troubles him in the slightest degree.  He fully justified his promotion to the first team, not only in this match but also in the fixture with Derby County on Good Friday.  Caldwell also kept a good goal and was never beaten.  The Arsenal attackers indulged in some capable exchanges, and their extreme wing runs and creditable centres.  Devine attended to Burrell most assiduously, and the latter responded to his partner’s advances with alacrity.  Flanagan also worked hard, but the inside forwards were somewhat lacking in clinching their work when within shooting distance.  McKinnon was the best of the half-backs, though Sands as usual strove zealously.  Further behind, Shaw proved the more reliable of the full-backs, and never faltered in his returns.  Fidler was often rounded by the opposing wing, and it was left to Macdonald to repel the invaders.  The burly custodian kept out many excellent shots, but on one occasion, after he had run out almost to the limit allowed for handling, he was lucky in not being beaten by Bradshaw.  Everton; Caldwell; Stevenson, Simpson; Harris, Wareing, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Bradshaw, Browell (T), and Stevens.  Woolwich Arsenal; Macdonald; Shaw, Fidler; King, Sands, McKinnon; Greenaway, Flanagan, Stonley, Devine, and Burnell.  Referee; Mr. J.W.D. Fowler, Sunderland. 

March 24 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
What a day for a benefit match! To look at the ground at Goodison Park, on Saturday, was enough to give one the shivers. The attendance of less than 10,000 was not to be wondered at, and although one would have liked to have seen Macconnachie and Stevenson take their benefit under more auspicious circumstances, still, there is comfort in the fact that were each guaranteed £500 by the club. This monetary tribute to their services was well deserved, for their soundness at full back has been the anchor of the team for several seasons past. Owing to an injury Macconnachie was unable to turn out, but after all he was fortunate to be away, for it was anything but a pleasant experience for the players. When the game started the playing area was inches deep in mud, and by the interval it was dotted with pools of water. The rain commenced a couple of hours before the commencement, and it fell incessantly all though the game. Happily, the great bulk of the crowd found shelter in the stands, but one gentleman who ventured forth into the open had an unfortunate experience, for in his attempt to ward off the heavy ball, which was going straight for his head, he had his umbrella shattered. This was one of severe unusual incidents, which served to amuse the crowd. Another was the prompt action of a press photographer in jumping in front of his camera in order to save it being wrecked through one of the many shots by the Gunners which went sadly astray. But although there was not much to enthuse about in the football itself, the proceedings were enlivened from time to time by the tobogganing feats of the players where the mud was thickest. The game was always of a more or less scrambling order, as was only to be expected under such wretched conditions, but for all that there was some clever passing and footwork by the Everton forwards. The Woolwich men worked hard from the start to finish, but they were beaten at all points. Even when they did get dangerous –and they had several good openings –they could not shoot straight, and this exhibition generally fully bore out their lowly position in the table. They were certainly handicapped in being without King during the whole of the second half, but this player was not injured after Everton had scored all three of their goals.

For the first eighteen minutes the players were mostly occupied in trying to find their sea legs, so to speak. Everton were the first to succeeded, and in the brief period of six minutes they had scored thrice. Beare was the shinning light in this rapid goal scoring. He and Jefferis indulged in neat passing, and, receiving from his partner, Beare lost no time in banging the ball into the net. It was done so easy that Beare though he would have another, and he finish a neat dribble by again placing into the net. McDonald the Woolwich keeper, had not recovered from his shock when Beare again darted along the wing, and from a well-placed centre Bradshaw added number three. This ended the goal scoring, and Beare's hopes of performing the hat-trick were unfortunately shattered through a painful injury he received soon after scoring of the third goal. He was accidentally struck with an opponent's elbow, causing a wound over his eye, which necessitated Dr. Whitford putting in several stitches. Although Beare returned to the fray in the second half, he was naturally very subdued, although he did get in one capital shot, which McDonald saved. Towards the end of the first half there was what appeared a clear case of handling outside the penalty area by the Woolwich keeper, and there were those amongst the crowd who though that the referee had forgotton for the moment the new rule in the matter. Soon afterwards however, Mr. J. W. D. Fowler pointed out that whilst McDonald had stooped to reach the ball, he remembered in time, and did not actually touch the ball with his hands. Woolwich strove manfully to wipe off the errears in the second half, but their efforts were unavailing. Their forwards put in any amount of energy, but it all went to waste for when they did get within shooting range their marksmanship was anything but worthy of their proud tittle of Gunners. Everton gave a well-balanced display. Their forwards was clever and determined, and Stevens, who was tried at outside left, had many admires. One-big factor in the team's improved display was the scuffing of the intermediate line by the return of Wareing and Grenyer. Teams: - Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Stevenson, and Simpson, backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis (Captain), Bradshaw, Browell, and Stevens, forwards. Arsenal: - McDonald, goal, Fidler, and King, backs, McKinnon, Sands, and Grant, half-backs, Burrell, Devine, Stanley, Flanagan, and Greenaway, forwards. Referee Mr. Fowler.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 27 March 1913
Everton F.C., who some time ago signed on W. Hodge, of Kilwinning Rangers have forwarded to that club a cheque for #10 towards the funds. Hodge, who had junior international honours in Scotlands, is quickly making a reputation for himself in England.

March 31 191. The Liverpool Courier.
At the outset it is only fair to state that they were not defeated side the score –the heaviest in the meetings of the clubs –would seen to indicate; rather were they the victims of lapses in quarter which were somewhat unexpected. The defence was altogether at sea, and many a long day has passed since the club was so feebly represented as on Saturday. At the time the City forwards were busy laying up their substantial foundation they were not by any means an aggressive line, but so weak was the display of the last lines of defence that goals were more or less of the grit order. This is something new to record in the annals of the Everton Club, and to the majority of the players, concerned in Saturday's games the ease with which the City established their position must have been most disheartening. Practically on every occasion in the first half that the Bradford forwards got down there was a goal scored while on the other hand, though the home defenders were none too resourceful, the City Keeper repeatedly stood between the Everton forwards and success. The Blues' attack worked and finished well; indeed, their final touches were more frequent and deadly than those of their opponents, and yet they had to submit to the severest defeat they have sustained at Bradford in League encounters. Added to this was the injury to Browell, who, in endeavouring to take a ball on the swere, looked feet with Wyllie, the result bringing about a fracture of one of the small bones of the ankle. This occurred five minutes from the interval, and Everton were thus left with ten men to combat the greater part of the game.

It was not a great game, but Bradford folk had every reason to be proud of the fact that a sequence of ten games has not been broken by defeat. At the outset Stevenson was unreliable, and following several faulty and weak clearance O'Rourke came along, and finding Caldwell in a hesitating mood put the ball between the keeper's legs into the net. Then Storer headed a second in the easiest fashion, and with Grenyer showing signs of distress as the result of injury the ball was swung to O'Rourke again, and a third goal was recorded. This represented the scoring during the first half, but Everton had by no means been idea, and as has already been indicated, the City custodian was the sheet anchor of his side. In the second portion the Everton forwards were again more dangerous, but were out of luck, and after another simple goal had been recorded by Fox, Jefferis obtained Everton's only point by heading in from Beare after the keeper had previously saved in brilliant fashion from Bradshaw. McDonald the City left half, had retired 15 minutes from the close, and the game was concluded with ten a side.

Coming to the players, none could fail to admire the whole heartedness of Bradshaw in his efforts to make amends for the early failures of the defence. He played robust and skilful football throughout, and doubtless Ewart would pay fitting tribute to the quality of the centre forward's finishing touches. Jefferis and Beare, too, worked well, and when this line was complete' there was little cause for anxiety. Stevens improved in the second half, and the stalwart efforts of the “four” during this period merited better results. The half-backs got through their work in creditable fashion, and Grenyer, though injured, played pluckily. Stevenson in the early stages was faulty in his interceptions and feeble in his clearness, and could not settle down until his side was hopelessly in arrears. Simpson against such exponent as Bond did remarkably well, but Caldwell's display left much to be desired. Ewart gave a great exhibition of goalkeeping, and Boocock was a sound back. Torrace, as usual was a tower of strength in the intermediate line, and the forwards were best represented on the right, where Fox and Bond initiated many movements that kept the Everton defenders fully extended. Teams: - Bradford City: - Ewart, goal, Wyllie, and Boocock, backs, Hampton, Torrance, and McDonald, half-backs, Bond, Fox, O'Rourke, Storer, and Thompson, forwards. Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Stevenson, and Simpson, backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis (Captain), Bradshaw, Browell, and Stevens, forwards. Referee Mr. J.E. Hall.

March 31 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Bradford City's championship aspirations received a rude shock when they were defeated at Goodison Park by 2 goals to 1. It was a sternly contested game, with Everton perhaps slightly the better team. In the initial half Brannick scored for the Blues, but before half-time Walker put his side on level terms. In the second half Brannick again put Everton ahead, and although Bradford made many determined efforts to get even again they could not surmount, the line home defence. On the home side Fleetwood, Gault, and Page showed excellent form, while Grimshaw for Bradford was a very elusive winger, and sent across many dangerous centres. Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Page and Laurie, backs, Fleetwood, A. Browell, and Gourlay (Captain) half-backs, Smith, Brannick, Simms, Gault, and Uren, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 31 March 1913
Bradford City 3, Everton 0
By Woolwinder
Dame fortune helps those who help themselves, if one may paraphrase another saying.  The fact was amply demonstrated during the course of the first half of the contest which took place at Valley parade in the presence of 12,000 spectators, for though the Citizens were three goals ahead of their opponents at the interval they had not enjoyed the measure of superiority suggested, whilst they had, now and again, tremendous slices of luck quite apart from their own merits, as though to spite the visitors for their inability to help themselves to fruit which was ripe for the eating.  There was something exasperating about the feebleness of Everton in the early stages of the game.  First of all Jefferis hung on to the ball with only Ewart in front of him until Wyllie came and thwarted his shot, and immediately afterwards Bradshaw with an equally glorious opportunity, merely tapped the ball when firing, so that it never had the slightest chance of getting past such a wily custodian as Ewart.  But watch the Citizens as they break away.  It is clearly one of Bond’s birthdays.  He is down the wing in a flash, and the visiting defenders are quickly in deep and dangerous waters.  He puts the ball over to Thompson, the latter returns to O’Rourke, in front of goal, and the City, centre forward smartly drives a low shot which finds the net with Caldwell hopelessly beaten.  This happens six minutes from the start, and the performance is repeated at the end of eleven minutes, Storer being the scorer on this occasion from another centre by Bond.  After 23 minutes Bond repeats the dose, thus enabling O’Rourke to make his second goal.
Injury To Browell. 
With equal opportunities the visiting front division could do nothing, and just before the final Dame Fortune brought her hands down heavily on the visitors.  Browell was injured in a tackle and had to assisted off the field.  He did not appear again, it being announced that he had sustained a fracture of a small bone in the ankle.  Play in the second half was materially influenced by a heavy downpour of rain, but Everton never had a chance of getting on level terms.  After Fox had made another goal for a Paraders, McDonald went off, having been hurt, and near the finish Jefferis made a goal for the visitors.  The issue was of course, decided in the first half, and during that period Everton in no department rose to the standard expected of them.  There are no exceptions to be made to this criticism; the deterioration was general above par, and in parts positively brilliant.  Bond has rearly been seen to greater advantage, whilst the inside men made good use of his centres.  The club have picked up a very promising player in Storer, who was one of the best men in the front line, and made a deep impression. The half-backs were good, and the backs more reliable than those operating in the Everton ranks, which Ewart was by far the better of the goalkeepers.  Bradford City; Ewarts; Wyllie, Booccks; Hampton, Torrance, McDonald; Bond, Fox, O’Rourke, Storer, and Thomspon.  Everton; Caldwell; Stevenson, Simpson; Harris, Wareing, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Bradshaw, Browell, and Stevens, Referee J.E. hall, Olton. 


March 1913