Everton Independent Research Data


March 2, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton have created a deal of interest in their game with Burnley by the appointment of a forward line that is all-attractive. We shall have a chance of seeing Cooper again, and judging his wisdom at inside right, there should be no fear as to his useful game at the outer ring. Gault’s appearance in the line is welcome and with Clennell back among the scorers I imagine that even the Boyle side will have a rather unprofitable time. The team has been chosen as follows;- Fern; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Cooper, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie.

Liverpool Echo - Friday 02 March 1917
The Welsh Flag Day Committee have arranged for the Band of the R.W.F. to attend the Everton match to-morrow, when selection of Welsh airs will be rendered, and lady collectors will be there selling the flags.

March 3, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton v. Burnley
Everton had something of a gala day today their team strength being unusually well marked. It was Gault’s first game at Goodison since he rejoined his old club. The band of the R.W.F was present and aroused enthusiasm by their selections. A good sun was expected by the Welsh Flag Day collection. Teams; Teams refereed by Mr. Alderson. Everton; Fern, goal; Smith (West Brom) and Thompson (captain), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Cooper, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Burnley; Dawson, goal; Wilde (j), and Hastie, backs; Yates, Freeman and Wilde (Jos), half-backs; Roberts, Lindley, Adamson, Lockett, and Jones, forwards. Burnley arrived late, and the kick-off was delayed ten minutes. Boyle, who was married on Thursday, was an absentee, and Freeman adopted the extraordinary position of centre-half. The visitors team contained a number of “foreign” names, but the players were well known to the crowd. Burnley won the toss, and in the opening stages there was evidence that the wind was playing pranks. Freeman robbed Gault when the latter was dangerously placed. Cooper having tricked Hastie in a neat manner and centred with judgement. Everton came again, and when Clennell followed up smartly, Donnachie from an acute angle, screwed the ball to goal, the woodwork being rattled. In nine minutes Jefferis had scored. A free kick for a foul on Gault which occasioned a lot of waste time through disputes as to inches, was placed over to the left, and Gault’s refusing to allow a full back a free kick blocked the ball, and the goalkeeper was on the ground when the ball was scrambled through. This early Everton had secured a useful lead, and when Smith made strong punts and Grenyer, with head and foot, made ground Everton promised to increase their lead. But although Cooper and Donnachie made excellent wing men, their centres were not converted, chiefly through the pluckily process which the Burnley defence expressed. The Everton attack proved the superior, and they were enjoying four-fifth of the play. Burnley failed to settle down for some time. Play was stopped a moment through Jos Wilde’s injured foot, and when the game restarted Gault made a snap-shot which Dawson fielded in the typical Dawson manner. Wareing received the plaudits of the crowd for neat and effective tackling and even more applause greeted Fleetwood when he made a long solo dribble and tried a shot. Unfortunately he slipped up when in the act of shooting. However, Gault did the needful time twenty-seven minutes after Donnachie and Clennell had dovetailed perfectly. It was a fiery shot that Gault delivered from very close range, and although the ball hit Dawson it persisted through to goal. Everton were shooting with more directness than for many a day, and when Dawson fielded a shot by Jefferis he did well because he was unsighted when the shot was made. Burnley were having a sorry time, but their outside right, whose name is request in the Isle of Man area and song received the rennin with a masterly piece of work, which considerably bothered the Everton defence. Lockett was unlucky with a shot which Fern know nothing of until he saw the ball had cannoned from his body, and at the other end it became a case of Gault versus Dawson with honours pretty-even.
Half-time; Everton 2, Burnley 0
Among the spectators was Private Kirsopp the Scott Guardsman, who has latterly been playing with West Ham. Everton were swiftly on the attack again and Dawson was masterly called upon to hand out the new ball. In fact, Everton should have been three up in a twinkling a rebound from a Jefferis shot giving Clennell a great chance. He was immediately afterwards presented with another gift –a penalty point –Gault having been deliberately swept of his feet. The unfortunate part about this point was that Gault was undoubtedly offside when he started his run. There was an excellent understanding on the left flank of the Everton side, and when Grenyer became an outside left for the time being he centred, Gault whose grand drive crashed against the crossbar, Cooper being slightly wide with the rebound. Everton were tireless in attack and when Dawson saved with one hand he did not clear the danger, and he had to parry a header from Cooper. Roberts and Adamson changed place’s without any effect on the general rub of the play. How near Gault was getting a second penalty can be gauged by the fact that the referee placed the kick on the penalty box line –Clennell was inches wide with the free kick. The frequency of the Everton attacks were almost monologues and Gault and Dawson became the most interesting duel. The goalkeeper saved after a full back has mis-kicked and was as safe as a bank.
Goal scorers
Jefferis scored for Everton -9 minutes
Gault scored for Everton -27 minutes
Clennell scored from penalty -48 minutes
Gault scored –Sixty-three minutes

March 5, 1917. Evening Express
At Goodison Park Everton had an afternoon out at the expense of Burnley, winning by five clear goals, Jefferis, Gault (twice), and Clennell (twice), being the net finders the last named from a penalty and free kick respectively. But for the Burnley goalkeeper the Blues might easily have registered a dozen goals as they were simply irresistible against the weak opposition of the visitors. Fern and the backs had an easy afternoon, as Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer were altogether too good for the Burnley forwards and in addition to holding them, served their own forwards with delightful short ground passes and swinging drives across the field to the unmarked man that were seized on with avidity. Gault and Clennell were always on the target, and were the two best forwards on view, the former having a try at every opportunity while Clennell had Yates in his pockets, and Jefferis provided some fine opportunities. Cooper shot hard and often, but was usually too high, and Donnachie’s support of Clennell was first class. In a game that almost degenerated into shooting in, Dawson was the only man on the visiting side who came out with any credit and his exhibition bordered on the marvellous. Boyle, who was married on Thursday, did not turn out, and Bert Freeman, the old Evertonian and mighty scorer, took his place as pivot, but he could not hold Gault. In fact, the great weakness of the Burnley eleven was the half-back line, and as a consequence so much work developed on the backs that they collapsed under the pressure.

March 3, 1917. The Evening Express
A further exodus of League footballers stationed at Preston will take place in the immediate future, with the result that the playing resources of many Lancashire clubs will be severely tested. Barnes (Manchester City), Latheron, McIvor, and Walmsley (Blackburn Rovers), Glendinning (Bolton), and Swarbrick (Preston North End), who are in the Royal Field Artillery, have left for firing practice, after which they will receive the last leave prior to being placed on draft for the front. Firing practice lasts four days, so that their stay in Lancashire will be very short. Boyle, Kelly, and Kellor of Burnley, Speak and Taylor (P.N.E), Wareing, Lord, and Phil Smith, who belong to another battery, have already been on their last leave, so that they may be drafted abroad at any time. Molyneux, the Chelsea-Stockport custodian has not yet “passed out,” but will be shortly, while W. Cook, the Burnley-Oldham back, is still in hospital where he has been for eight weeks, and it may be some time before he is fit, while Gimblett (Bolton Wanderers) may go any time during the next few weeks. Neither Percy Smith (Blackburn Rovers) nor Broad (Preston North End and Manchester City), both of whom are gymnastic instructors are likely to leave yet, and Lightfoot (Southport Central), now a Corporal, who has not played for some time is also required in the barracks for drill purposes.

March 5, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton’s win was solid, and that they didn’t run into double figures was due entity to Jerry Dawson, another of the many find types of goalkeeper not showy, but very effective. A smiling sort of fellow, Jerry Dawson, who took one bust-up from Jefferis with a laugh and sore ribs! While he was overworked, Fern was quite capable “easy list.”
Get a balanced quintet of forwards and you can quarantine goals. Everton, with Gault at centre, were finely balanced. Still, without wanting everything one’s own way the fact remains that they could have done better. There were occasions when there were strong shots from angles. This is an all-wrong policy with a balanced line, for there is always a man on the look-out near goal, who is not marked. There were times on Saturday when a forward stood waiting for a gift-goal what time a wing forward tried an angular shot. Tactics carried the day, and if Gault had restrained himself at times and affected a pass such as those Clennell, for one, gave him the score would have been heavy indeed.
All-Round Strength
Nevertheless Gault played splendidly, as did the whole line, Donnachie and Clennell intertwining beautifully, and serving up class football; while Jefferis kept Cooper provided with passes, and the newly-placed forward tried hard and was often successful. It is a long time since Burnley got a heavy defeat from out locals, but I dare suggest that any side visiting Everton last Saturday would have been hard pressed to draw; so strong was the side in every link. The backs were reliable, Smith having another gala day, and the half backs were as of were. Of course Burnley deserved sympathy. They had a very mixed side and Freeman at centre half isn’t a Boyle, willing worker though he is. The visitors never settled to their game, although “Roberts” had flashed along the line. Niblo and Lockett had hard lines on one occasion.

Bobby Parker
Daily Record - Thursday 08 March 1917
In answer to the many queries received at this office re Private E. Parker, the Rangcrs- Everton-Morton centre-forward, we may state that has gone on active service. About a fortnight ago he wired Mr. R. R. Cochran, the Cappielow manager, that was leaving that day.

March 9, 1917. The Evening Express
Everton, who go to Old Trafford have lost no time in deciding on the eleven to do duty and are very fortunate in being able to play at full strength; in fact, so good is the team to be fielded that if all the men can turn out an away point is highly probable. In accordance with an arrangement, Mitchell will be the goalkeeper, but this will be the only change made in the eleven which trounced Burnley. United’s selected also shows one change from last week. Basnett being an absentee, Ellis will go inside left, and his partner on the wing will be Tattum, who has recently been playing some good games for South Liverpool. The teams are expected to line up as follows; Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer. Cooper, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie..Manchester United; Mew; Barlow, Silcock; Hilditch, Buckley, Forster; Leigh, Woodwock, Anderson, Ellis, Tattum.

March 10, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
F.E.H. Special
Everton had a very strong side selected again this week, and despite Manchester United’s good form in recent weeks, the balance of the Everton attack was so pronounced last week that Everton had genuine cause for believing that they could check the United’s run. Mitchell appeared in goal for Fern –an arrangement by which first one and then the other is given a run with the first team. On arrival at Manchester, the Evertonians found a Leadon sky, and a miserable drizzle which made the invidious of Old Trafford the reverse to attractive. Nevertheless there was a fairly good gathering on the famous enclosure when play commented. Everton were able to field the same team as selected, and there was only one change in the hoste ranks, Barnett a inside left in place of Ellis. Considerable interest was evinced in the first appearance of Tattum at outside left. By the way, a little bird whispered to me just before the players turned out that this was likely to be Cooper’s last appearance for the Blues for some time at least. Next week his country calls him. Teams referred by Mr. R. McLachan. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith (West Brom) and Thompson (captain), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Cooper (Exeter City), Jefferis, Gault (Stockport County), Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Manchester United; Mew, goal; Barlow and Silcock, backs; Hilditch, Buckley, and Forester, half-backs; Leigh, Woodcock, Anderson, Barnes and Tattum, forwards. Everton had cut their time in travelling to cottonopolis pretty short, but taxis took them to Old Trafford with celerity and despatch and they appeared on a greasy surfaces at the same time as their opponents. All the same it was twenty minutes to four before the game commended. Everton started against a fresh breeze and after the United had made some progress on the left, Fleetwood pulled them up, and Jefferis transferred play to the other half. Forester however, proved his stumbling block, and the Manchurians were busy for a time. Everton then rallied strongly, and Clennell working his way through gave the leather to Gault, who in turn passed to Cooper, but the Soldier lost possession. Keeping up the pressure the visitors made strong play on the left, and Donnachie tested Mew with a screw shot that gave the home keeper some anxiety. Taking the slippery nature of the turf into account, the game so far was agreeably fast, and excitement was lent to the proceeding when Wookcock and Anderson penetrated Everton’s guard, only to be defend off at the critical moment by Thompson. It was not long before the visitors were again in aggressive mood, and this time they displayed very commendable combination. The three inside forwards twice out-manoeuvred Silcock and Barlow, and Clennell almost succeeded in beating the home keeper after he had cleared from Jefferis and Gault. United took on the running in brilliant fashion, and Leigh shooting a clean pair of backs to Grenyer finished with a swift ground shot, which was well gathered by Mitchell. At the other end Everton were again in a shooting mood, and Clennell sent in a torpedo low drive, which was only saved by Mew throwing himself prone on mother earth. A breakaway by Anderson, who caught Wareing napping looked ominous for Everton, but Smith literally took the ball from the toes of the Manchester player and once more we saw the visitors knocking loudly at the home goal. Jefferis, Gault, and Clennell were all busy and the last named was again unlucky in failing to find the target with a wonderful solo effort. From a thrown-in on the right Jefferis lobbed the ball dangerously into the United goalmouth, but Cooper was offside when he attempted to apply the finishing touch. So Far Everton had enjoyed much the better of the game, but United certainly made ground on the right and the ball being swung across Woodcock came within an ace of drawing first blood with a strong well-judged shot. The attempt was the forerunner of several others. Woodcock came past Grenyer and Thompson at too speed, but he wavered in his final shot, which was cleaned. A second later, however Anderson seized on the leather and propelled it against the woodwork with a resounding shot. Exceptionally keen struggle and both goals were visited in rapid succession. Jefferis, who seemed to have come into his second youth, was the galvanising force of the forward line, and after beating both backs, he finished with a marvellous shot, which Mew saved in equally marvellous fashion. The consequence corner led to further assaults on the home goal and these were not negotiated without the home defenders experiencing an extremely anxious time. After a time Anderson led is wings in likely fashion and he looked very like bustling through when Wareing coolly intercepting. Everton were next busy on the left, and Gault was provided with a fine opening which he shot yards of the mark. Play was transferred to the other end, where Anderson was again in the picture, but he was not permitted to get through and when Cooper got off the mark all alone he finished with a long shot, which Mew had little difficulty in deflecting from its intended course. Subsequently Cooper tried a similar sort of shot, which had more sting behind it, but again the United keeper was not to be caught napping.
Half-time; Manchester United 0, Everton 0
Under dull and dismal conditions the first period had proved both entertaining and level. Everton had enjoyed much of the better of the argument and they might well have been leading at the interval had their shooting been more deliberate. Gault, for instance was twice at fault when well placed, and Clennell was the impulsive in his brilliant efforts to gain the first lead. Jefferis work was beyond praise, and he experienced hard line in failing at a winning hazard.
Second Half
Play was resumed before a crowd of fully 6,000 spectators, who suffered the dismal drizzle with quite exemplary fortitude. Everton were the first to take the hostilities and they pressed strongly on the left until Barlow relieved. Then United went away as though they meant it, and Leigh who had been fairly active in the first half forced a corner.
Goal scorers
Jefferis scored for Everton.

March 12, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
“F.E.H” describes Everton’s good win at Manchester United’s ground – The Evertonians are to be congratulated upon a highly creditable performance at Old Trafford on Saturday. Manchester United had got a strong and well-balanced side together and the first forty minutes produced some capital football. Considering the conditions –a persistent drizzle and a slippery surface – the pace was particularly fast, both sets of forwards showing trustfulness and dash. The finishing touches on both sides however, were rather lacking and many good openings were thrown away. Everton early on allowed to advantage and though nothing had been scored up to the interval, they had enjoyed much the better of the contest. This superiority took tangible form in the second period when Jefferis set the zeal upon a wonderfully fine display with a great goal. The Evertonian had rarely been seen to better advantage. He was quite the moving spirit of the attack, and it was he who led up to the second goal. Gault doing the necessary conversion with celerity and dispatch. Clennell was scarcely up to his best force though he troubled Mew –who kept a magnificent goal –more then once, and Cooper enhanced his reputation with many fine forward touches. The Everton halves all played soundly, and did much to break up the combination of Anderson and company, of whom Woodcock was the most dangerous. Thompson was occasionally in trouble but Smith put up a splendid display of ready and resourceful defence.

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 15 March 1917
 As the " Echo" stated early in the week. Chedgzoy is home on leave, and now comes the news of Maconnachie's week-end at home. So the Everton team will look more like old self in the great Derby game of Saturday, when it is expected the R.W.F. band will assist in the proceedings. Cooper's regiment has moved to Aldershot, and Smith is helping Albion in their charity game. Team: Mitchell; Thompson, Maconnachie: Fleetwood. Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgeoy, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell and Donnachie.

March 15, 1917. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
All local football enthusiasts are looking forward with the greatest keenest to the “Derby” match at Goodison Park on Saturday. Granted fine weather should be a hugh crowd present when the proceedings commence at 3.30 p.m. Everton have been rather later than usual this week in choosing their team, owing to the fact that Smith, the right back, is playing for his old eleven West Bromwich, in a charity match at Wolverhampton, whilst Cooper, the outside right, who is in the Army, has been transferred to Aldershot. This was a double misfortune for Everton directors, but having frowned. Fortune then proceeded to smile, for strange to say two of the old firm, MaConnachie and Chedgzoy are on leave, and consequently will be able to turn out. So that the following strong team will take the field in the game which may decide if Everton are to be runners up to Liverpool:- Everton; Mitchell; Thompson, MaConnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie.

March 17, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Teams refereed by Mr. F. Liegh. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and MaConnachie, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Liverpool; Campbell, goal; Longsworth and Lucas, backs; Bamber, Wadsworth and McKinlay, half-backs; Goddard, Metcalfe, Bennett, Lewis and Cunliffe, forwards. I met Ernest Pinkley just before the match. He is a Royal Engineer and came down this week on leave, and there was an idea that he might be playing today, but eventually the teams were as expected. The enormous crowd got a surprise after the first minute, Bennett scoring after Goddard had done useful work. MaConnachie imagined that the pace of an oblique pass would be beyond the capacity of a veteran like Goddard, but Goddard was content to back heel the ball to keep it in play. This fruitful idea was the direct genius of the surprise goal. A centre from the right was true in direction, and Everton’s defence fell back into goal and hindered Mitchell when he attempted to punch away, the ball being about four yards from goal. Bennett does not miss these chances, and he found pleasure in scoring against the side that gave him his first trail when he arrived from Canada. Even were the exchange and earnest the endeavour Clennell pitched on to his head, McKinlay fell back into goal and cleared unexpectedly. Wadsworth committed the first foul. Thompson was caught guessing by Bennett whose shot screwed across the goal and then tremendous engagement was raised by a marvellous save by the international Campbell and by a handling case in the penalty area by Bamber. Campbell flung himself to the right hand covering the goal and by this save and its reception easy vividly reminded of a similar save in the Military intentional match last May. It was a very simple handling case that came in the penalty area and the referee could not be blamed for missing it, as he was tucked away, in goal amidst a lot of players who had gathered together to consider a corner kick. At least it was a gentle off-side. Everton had been unsteadied by the opening reverse but now played like their true selves. Chedgzoy hit the rigging –he was too oblique and following up with desperation was only inches out of the goal reckoning. Although Lewis changed the venue and made a rasping shot which hit the upright, Everton were soon back to the quarters of the Liverpool defence. The bombardment failed to make Lucas, Longsworth, and Campbell. Donnachie was the engineer of many moves. The wingers went in for shooting frequently. For instances Cunliffe, tried one following which Clennell, who had been off with a slight injury made a poor effort from a glorious place. McKinlay once again falling to the rear and clearing all danger. Clennell put the ball to hand and Lucas took the ball off the foot of Jefferis at the moment the inside right was shooting. Other the fact that neither Everton back was reliable in back, there was nothing of note prior to half-time.
A Summary
Without doing the feature of the first half had both Campbell’s save. Considering the circumstances under which Campbell display was remarkable, and crowd was not slow to recognised it. Everton had many chances to equalise, and they played into the hands of Liverpool.
Half-time; Everton 0, Liverpool 1
A replica of the first goal of the day was registered when Gault scored at 54 minute, Chedgzoy had not a lively time in the first half, but he quickly set to work in the second, when he centred from a snap centre, Campbell was unable to do much then throw the ball forward a few yards, Gault was uncovered and he took the opportunity to equalise the scores. For a long time Everton were top dog and it was wonderful how the Liverpool goal escaped. At times McKinlay cleared in fine manner, but it was Campbell who diverted long shots by Jefferis and Gault. Gault having tasted blood, was keen on getting a further success, but no Everton forward played with quite the effect reached by Donnachie. Corner after corner went Everton’s way, but Liverpool packed their goal effectively, and gradually the game opened out. The pressure that Everton exercised was bound to tell its tale, and just after the hour Gault scored again, following another miraculous save on the part of Campbell, who prevented Jefferis scoring with a fast shot taken at six yards range.
Goal Scorers
Bennett scored for Liverpool –three minutes
Gault scored for Everton after 54 minutes
Gault scored for Everton 62 minutes Wadsworth scored -75 minutes

March 19, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
First, the hand of the players is desired, so that we may congratulate them on the clean game they gave the large crowd. Second, to Kenny Campbell congratulations on his “three star” performance against odds. A one handed goalkeeper who keeps out the cutting shots from Jefferis, and Gault tried must indeed be a marvel. As a game it was of a goodish class, but it fluctuated to an smarting extent and by that reasonable one would not class it with some of the games seen between the Liverpool clubs in recent years. It was a game that could be argued this way, that way, and the other way, and each of the arguments would be right to a certain extent.
For Instance
Take the first half, it was Liverpool’s. Everton were shocked by the early goal scored by the ever-nippy Bennett. Their defence did not recover from that shock for a long time, and the plan –adopted by Everton’s forwards was all wrong, knowing as they ought it have done, that Liverpool lore in face the “diddley” forwards. Liverpool’s defence and half-backs stand not upon the order of their going to the fray –they go. And their very earnestness carries them through against an elaborate attack. To be quite candle Jefferis and Chedgzoy were disappointing in the first half, Clennell was below par –perhaps through a knock on the head –and Gault could not get things going his way. Donnachie was the reliable attacker.
The Chance
Everton only wanted a goal to make then rompess against Liverpool. They got it early in the second half and then following a number of raids which the Liverpool defence kept down until Gault got his second point. Arguments simply words, my friends –entired into the day’s business, and whether referee Leigh was right or not in giving Liverpool a corner –Thompson and Grenyer gave “evidence” on the points in no uncertain manner, and neither man is in the habit of debating points unless there is a mistake –I cannot say. It did not come in my view, but I did see Bamber handle the ball, and the referee would have seen eye-to-eye with my view. I think, if he had not centred himself into a “corner campaign.”
The Gentle Tap
So that you see, in my view, at any rate Everton deserved a penalty and may have deserved a goal-kick in the last minute play. Wadsworth nodded the equaliser from the debuted corner kick. Against that one has to put Liverpool’s misfortune in having to play a goalkeeper who was plainly handicapped and it must be admitted that Gault’s first goal was the direct out come of Campbell’s throw away –a mode of defenders he would not have dreamt of calling into one if he had not been playing with a lump member. Add to the above qualications “ifs” and “buts” and the fact that all four goals were of the “fuzzy” order, and you must agree that it was a curious game. To Everton; Hard lines in not quite getting there. To Liverpool Congratulations in keeping the persistent pressure out of netting power.
Liverpool were out of the hunt for nine-tenths of the second half, and that they realised again was dully to the persistence of their defence. Longsworth at one time going semi-forward to rouse his men. There was not a fault in their defence but their half-backs. Mckinlay excepted played a slower game than is their custom. I liked Lewis and Bennett of the forwards, but here again there was a lack of fire and a stereotyped display after the first thirty minutes. Everton’s half-back line was the more reliable but their backs didn’t run smoothly with the other links in the machinery until after half-time then giving of their best. MaConnachie’s dainty defence and Thompson’s robustness were much welcomed. Forward Donnachie was the outstanding figure and Gault by scoring twice and Chedgzoy by the second half display, showed up well. Jefferis and Clennell were variable but Jefferis shot as I have not seen him shoot for many a day, and he was without luck in his shooting. Clennell on the other hand was too well marked to get in his drive. The teams meet again so often in the next few weeks that the struggle for the city’s supremacy will become very interesting.

Manchester Evening News -Wednesday 21 March 1917
Sheldon, who is a Swansea Town player, who has been playing for Everton and Southport Central is playing for Bury on Saturday. 

March 21, 1917, The Evening Express
Everton have to journey to Stockport County, and the match should be one of the stiffest of the day’s fixtures as the Cheshire men are desirous of making sure of second place in the table, whilst Gault business is not likely to make them any slacker than usual. Stockport re now bang on the top of their game and the Goodison team will do extremely well to come home with a point. With MaConnachie and Chedgzoy back again with their respective units, Smith and Merritt return to the side, which is expected to line up as follows;- Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie.


March 22 1917 Liverpool Echo

Kelly, the Everton A goalkeeper, will continue to play for Everton. He has, on second thoughts, signed a League form for Everton, albeit, hinted here yesterday, he had intended becoming Loagually attached Liverpool, to whom Andy M'Guigan, Bamber, and Lucas had recommended him. Long last Everton have offered to loan Fern to Liverpool.

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 22 March 1917
Kelly, the Everton A goalkeeper, will continue to play for Everton. He has, on second thoughts, signed a League form for Everton, albeit, hinted here yesterday, he had intended becoming Loagually attached Liverpool, to whom Andy M'Guigan, Bamber, and Lucas had recommended him. long last Everton have offered to loan Fern to Liverpool.

March 23 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Other “needle” game concerns Everton, Stockport always keen as mustard on beating Everton, will be especially delirious of conquering the Mersey side. What a battle it ought to be! Fayers and Co, will find Everton better balanced than usual and doubtless their will find Gault against instead of “for” the County side is a ticklish customer. F.E.H. well tell in the Football Echo, all the news of the game and the Football Echo, as usual will devote its columns to latest war and general news. Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie.

March 24, 1917, The Liverpool Football Club
The Evertonians after a round hard journey, reached Stockport at three o’clock and proceeded at once to the scene of operations. The weather was beautifully fine, and coupled with the home team’s position the tourmement attracted a large crowd to Edgerley Park. The visitors had some difficulty at the moment unfurnishing a fully representative team for Fleetwood was detained at his work, and Clennell was suffering from a bad ankle, Smith was unable to make the journey. The home side was partially at good strength. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Stewart, backs; Morris, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Merritt, Jefferis, Gault, Blair, and Donnachie, forwards. Stockport County;- Molyneux, goal; Goodwin and Jones, backs; Waterall (A.), Fayer, and Francis, half-backs; Crosswaite, Kenyon, Rodgers, Nuttall, and Waterall (T.), forwards. Mr. Arthur Pellows, who by the way celebrates has 42nd birthday on Monday was the referee. There were about 6,000 people present when the game was opened in brilliant sunshine, seven minutes late. Everton, losing the toss, had to face the sun, but this was not particularly severe handicap. After the preliminary exchanges the visitors made play on the left, but Goodwin cleared easily, and when the home forwards moved off with almost clocklike precision, Thompson stopped the movement with a timely punt. For some time, long passing on both sides was the order, and when at length Donnachie and Blair got going they were cleverly repulsed by Goodwin. The visitors however returned immediately, on the right, and Merritt put in a beautiful centre, which Gault just missed directing in the desired quarters. The County forwards responded with a breakaway on the right, which was only stopped at the cost of a corner. This led to an exciting bully in front of Mitchell but the danger was cleared by Stewart.
A Trio of Goals
The pace was now quickened and a great shout went up when Gault got away on his own account. He raced past Goodwin and shot strong, but the ball travelled outside. Stockport were not slow to reply to this challenge by the ex-County player for Crossthwaite and Kenyon raced clean through and Mitchell was severely taxed in clearing the latter’s shot. The corner kick which resulted was safely negotiated and the Evertonians again took up the running. The forward line. Was however, was somewhat disjoined and as a result of this several promising opening was lost. Jefferis initiated a clever movement which Blair supplemented but Gault was obviously offside when he got possession. The County were busy on the right, and a corner was forced, and this led to the opening score, for Rodgers rushing into the bully in goal changed the leathers into the net at close range. This success gave a tremendous impetus to the home side, who came away again, in strong fashion. Crossthwaite put in one of his dangerous square passes and after Stewart had partially cleaned Kenyon dashed in and beat Mitchell with a fast one. The crowd shouted with exhalation and thus cheered up the Stockport vanguard produced to press with greater urgency than ever. Grenyer in attempting to arrest their progress fouled Crossthwaite in the penalty area, and Francis taking the kick, scored a third goal. This trio of goals had come in the twicking of an eye and for a time Everton could scarcely recover themselves. Their efforts to spasmodic and lacked the necessary combination and it was not long before the County men were once more hammering at the gates. Wareing was quite unable to hold Rodgers and the latter had an open goal before him, when he propelled the leather over the crossbar. Blair, Gault, and Donnachie at length transferred play, and a fine oblique shot from the last named passed across the goal mouth. Merritt seized upon it and tried to find the target, but in his anxious he just missed. This was the first real vigour attack by the visitors and for a little time they maintained a vigorous attack on the enemy’s line. The Stockport half backs, however, were too smart for them, and Fayers putting Rodgers in possession, the home centre dashed through and scored a fine goal. Up to the interval the home side continued to enjoy the better of the argument. They came very near adding a fifth from a free kick, the ball passing a yard outside, while just before the interval Nuttall put over the bar.
Half-time; Stockport County 4, Everton 0
With their depleted team the Evertonians naturally were not too optimistic about their chances, and these fears were fulfilled. After opening in promising fashion the forwards fell away rather rapidly and once the home side had drawn first blood their was no holding them. The Everton backs were scarcely at confident as usual, and they must be blamed with a full share of the four adverse goals.
Goals scorers;
Rodgers scored for Stockport
Kenyon scored a second and Francis a third for Stockport
Rodgers scored a fourth for Stockport
Gault scored for Everton
Kenyon scored a fifth for Stockport

March 26, 1917. The Evening Express
Writing on the Stockport County v. Everton match, as a result of which the County finish second in the table, my colleague Rovers says the Goodison team had a disastrous experience, but except in goal the respective lines had to be disturbed owing to inability of players either to leave their work or from injuries while during the first half the team had to face a glaring sun, which greatly handicapped the last line of defence. It was in this period that the home side had made their position secure by a lead of four clear goals. Still there could be no disguising the fact that the home team were all through the more virile side and though flattered by the ultimate result, were undoubtedly popular victory. The Evertonians throughout were at sixes and sevens. There appeared to be no blending of method, and their haphazard movements were promptly checked by a side that in addition to dashing methods, displayed better command of the ball, and rarely lost an opportunity of firing home an advantage. Goals were scored by Rodgers (2), Kenyon (2), and Francis for the home side, and Gault recorded the only point for Everton from a well-placed corner kick by Merritt. Everton’s forward play was very unsatisfactory, and only in the second portion, when Jefferis had crossed over to partner Donnachie was there any, footwork displayed that looked likely to materialise. The County half-backs had them well under control and were only fully extended after the change made in Everton’s front line. At half-backs the absence of Fleetwood was greatly felt, for Morris could scarcely be expected to shine in an unaccustomed position, with the result that Wareing was frequently over-ran. Grenyer had much on hand and did well, but the trio as a whole did not approximate the standard of sufficiency that is usually identified with Everton’s half back play. Further behind Stewart was often beaten but this was only to be expected, seeing that this player has been so long out of harness so that it was small wonder that the defence was so often penetrated. After the County had made good their position with the elements in their favour, they were always the more incisive side. The forwards and half backs had quite a good understanding between them and their lines of defence were invariably equal to all demands made upon them.

March 26, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton with a scarily weakened team, met with a disastrous experience at Stockport on Saturday. The strong County side making an winning uneven contest by 5 goals to 1. Handicapped as they were, the visitors were not altogether, unprepared for a tall but the depth of the descent was scarily anticipated. To put the matter frankly the Goodison Park brigade showed a very feeble light, and it was only at rare intervals that they were really in the running. Twice in the first half they failed to make the best of promising openings and in the scored period, though there was a distinct improvement for a while, they permitted advantage to be lost. Stockport on the other hand made the fullest use of their weight and speed. The aggressive tactics of the half-backs were supplemented by trustful and vigorous forward play, and the line led by Rodgers might well have pierced the Everton defence more than five times. For once in a way the Evertonians were weak in every department. Curiously enough the visitors were first to set the pace but Stockport speedily took up the attack in combined order and the first “forty five” yielded a quarter of good goals. Rodgers who is in fine trim opened the scoring, and he was followed by the speedily Kenyon. Then Grenyer was over zealous in his attend to Crossthwaite with the result the Mr. Pellow gave a penalty from which Francis had little difficulty in scoring. Shortly afterwards Rodgers pushed aside all opposition and registered his second goal. The visitors rallied gamely in the second period and Gault showed his old club mates that he can still shoot straight. This however was the only grain of comfort for Kenyon completed the defeat with a fifth goal. The Everton forward line was ill-balanced and haphazard in their methods, and an exchange of promise by Jeffers and Blair was only temporally advantageous. Gault was shadowed by Fayers and the visitors half line suffered pabably from the absence of Fleetwood. Neither of the backs did themselves full justice, and they must have left a sign of relief when the ordeal was over.
Football New Role
Lieutentent James Galt the well-known Rangers, Everton and latterly Fulham player who is equally known in Glasgow as a director as “Bobbie Parker” is to co-share holder of picture-business in the city appeared on the stage of the Elder Park Picture House.

March 28, 1917, The Evening Express
In their subsidiary competition match with Southport Central, at Goodison Park on Saturday (Kick-off 3.30 p.m.) Everton are taking the opportunity to give a run to several local juniors who have been showing promise. Bull, of Tranmere Rovers, will be given a trial at right back alongside Thompson and as he has been giving some excellent displays at Prenton Park recently his debut in senior circles well create some interest. Following on his good form in some military matches a place at left full back has been found for another new comer named Williams, whilst the St. Helen’s district will also have its representatives in Twiss at inside left and Murray on the right wing. Fern will resume in goal, and the selected side is as follows;- Everton; Fern; Bull, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Williams; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, Donnachie.
Everton Reserves
The Everton directors are sending a reserve team to Ormskirk on Saturday to play the Remount Depot at Lathom Park, a match which the military are looking forward to with great keenest. The Everton “A” team will be;- Kelly; Brown, Stuart; Snape, Keddie, Dale; Merritt, Settle, Corlett, Dean, Mansley.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 28 Match 1917
Bee's Notes
A Leader in Advice and Example.
It was pleasurable to see Frank Bradshaw again.  He has been playing all over the  "field" for some time, but now has developed into a class full back, with ideas of his own  and determination sufficient to carry them out. I have seen no back in recent time who has reminded me so much of Howard Spencer—high praise, but deserved by Frank : Bradshaw. His stance was similar, and his tricks were  similar. Bradshaw is carrying the Arsenal side, ; and times he is adopting the Longworthian idea going well forward and assisting the forwards —why back should not do this fairly frequently, with a way opened to him, beyond my ken. The old Sheffield Wednesday, Northants, and Everton forward has apparently gained in speed, and his advice, tacties and example are doing Arsenal lot of ' good. Bradshaw working with motor firm in London, and, living the life he does, sure to be 'in good football for some years yet. All good wishes to him.  In the  dressing-room I came across " Punch -M'Ewan, who is giving ' Arsenal much help. Mac and I were recalling our last meeting. When last met. Mac was governing Glossop, and Everton fell 1-0 in a famous cup-tie at Glossop. Glossop  were waiting word for an offer of financial  assistance —the game to be played Goodison ' Park—but as it never turned up Glossop wen.. 'in and won. That day Bradshaw played  better than any other of our forwards, but was soon out of the team again.

Liverpool Echo-Friday 30 March 1917

Everton are giving a trial to a couple of St. Helens players, products of the St. helens District League.  A few notes will interest readers.  Twiss, the inside left, has only been playing a few months.  He is only 19, and if he progresses as well as he has done in the last few months he should prove a "star"  His natural style, speed, and accuracy of passing make him promising.  he hails from Haydock, and plays with Haydock Colliery.  The club is run by the firm of R.Evans, and Co.  Sergeant Murray has for several seasons played in the District League, and is a capable player, the precision with which he places the ball into the goal being one of his strong points.  He plays with Clock Face, a club run by the Clock Face Colliery Co (a branch of the Wigan Coal and Iron Co.).

March 30, 1917. The Evening Express
Everton receive a visit from Southport Central, and are giving a run to several promising juniors, whilst the Sandgrounders hope to be at full strength, so quite possibly might snatch a point if the forwards would only shoot more frequently. Everton team will be;- Fern; Bull, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Williams; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, Donnachie.
Central will be chosen from W. Wright, Dorward, J.H. Wright, Fay, Rigby, Abrams, Hooper, Caulfield, Kirkman, Toms, G. Scholfield, Rigsby, Hennseley, and H. Scholfield.

March 31, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee’s Special
On Visit of Southport to Walton
March didn’t go out like a lamb, March went out a d--. Now perhaps we can expect some decent weather. Everton at home to Southport Central decided to try some new locals, St. Helens being their apprention work. Central, who have wobbled down the league ladder ever since Christmas had a strongly-built side chosen, and their ranks were so formed that there was some belief in their ability to “turn the corner” today. After a snowy morning came dullness, but the turf was in good order when the following teams referred by Mr. L. P. Hitchen turned out before a good sixed crowd. Everton; Fern (captain), goal; Smith (West Brom) and MaConnachie, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Williams, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, and Donnachie, forwards. Southport; W. Wright, goal; Dorward and J.H. Wright, backs; Rigby, Fay and Abrams, half-backs; Hooper, Rigsby, Kirkman, Toms, and H. Scholfield, forwards. MaConnachie suprise appearance was very welcome. There was little of moment in the early work. Hooper, sliced badly, and Jefferis and Gault gained the applause of the crowd. There was much crying and little wool until Murray started a raid. He dribbled closely and well, and though checked by big Abrams he would not yield. His pertinacity brought his side a goal for an upward past from Murray to Gault gave the home centre a reasonable chance of scoring. The shot should have been saved by Wright who blundered badly for once in a way. He should certainly have gripped the ball, which slipped from the hands and rolled over the line. Southport, disappointed at this unexpected blow, bestirred themselves, to some purpose and made the game much more interesting Toms, by back heeling gave Kirkman half a chance and the same player went near with a swift shot. Toms who is a lieutenant tried to snap a goal with a left hook, and when Rigsby with a beautiful swinging pass, made a way for Hooper the Nottingham man found Fern safer than Wright, who had to negotiate an awkward lob shot from Jefferis. Murray for an inexperienced player, centred well. He was not too strong and he was wise in preventing waste he did not centre behind the goalline. Southport for a time pegged back the Everton forwards and when Fay took a free kick against Wareing, MaConnachie fell back into goal and chested the ball away, an escape which was followed at the other end by another narrow escape. For Donnachie sent centre to Murray let the latter so close in that he should have screwed wide. However, in twenty six minutes there was another goal, Wareing giving a penalty by a foul on Kirkman. Hooper was a surprise selection for the taking of the penalty kick with Abrams in the side. At any rate, the judgement was all right, as Hooper easily netted. With the score equal, Everton put on increased pressure, and Gault was the main shooter. Gault scored a second for Everton.
Half-time Everton 2 Southport 1
Goalkeeper Fails to Turnout
W Wright the goalkeeper, failed to turn out in the second half, and little Dossy Waite founded the gloves, spotted the green jersey and went into the goal area, and for a time enjoyed a peaceful rest. It appears that goalkeeper Wright knocked his left thumb up, and the directors had no option but to retire. Rigsby went right half back and Rigby at full. The crowd enjoyed the one hand of the new Southport goalkeeper, but I am told that he is quite a useful custodian. Jefferis seems to think so, as he congratulated him, upon his initiative save. Of course, Everton found their task pretty easy, and they were keen on increasing their lead, but for the moment they were defied. Wright footing out a low shot by Gault. Donnachie went very lame, but continued to play, and MaConnachie as a consequence became more daring and more than once moved very far up the field. Gault went in for a series of pot shots in the hope of catching Wright in difficulties but he was not quite on the target. Young Scholfield had been quite out of the picture, and his runs and centres had yet to be seen. He made a hash of a good opportunity with severe results as straight away the ball was put out to Gault, who although off side was allowed to go on and score.
Gault scored for Everton after eight minutes play
Hooper scored for Southport from a penalty after twenty six minutes play
Gault scored a second for Everton at 40 minutes
Gault scored a third for Everton at sixty minutes
Kirkman scored a second for Southport 67 minutes

March 1917