Everton Independent Research Data


March 1 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton have signed on another promising inside forward from Leyland in the person of H.J. Millar, who stands 5ft 8ins, and weighs 11 stone. He is 20 years of age, and plays for the Central League team at Derby today.

Much depends upon what happens to day and on Saturday at Goodison Park. Midllesbrough are the visitors in the midweek encounter, the occasion being the postponed “snow” match, and two points would relieve the feelings of the home supporters. On Saturday Bradford City provide the opposition, and as the Yorkshire club are in possession of the “wooden spoon,” they are bound to be in a most desperate mood, so that it behoves the Everton team to be on its very best behavior. The situation certainly calls for very serious though, and the directors at their meeting decided to give the reserve right wing, Jones and Spencer, a trial. Jones is undoubtedly a forward fir to hold the extreme berth in any team, and on recent form he cannot be ignored. Spencer is coming on apace, and the pair work very smoothly together. McDonald, the captain who is just recovering from a serious illness, is to return to the field. The full team to meet the Aryesome Park side will be as follows: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart; Jones, Spencer, Irvine Crossley, and Harrison, Middlesbrough, Harrison, Marshall, Fox, Davidson, Willie Carr, Ellerington, Jack Carr, Birrell, Wilson, George Carr, and Urwin.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 02 March 1922
For Disobedience of Orders.
Everton created a surprise to-day by suspending their £4000 forward Fazackeriey, for disobedience of orders untill such tmes he conforms to the ruling of the Directors. Chedg»zoy is playing with, the reserves and the club is trying Chadwick of Rossendale, , at centre forward, vice Irvine who is plaving for Ireland on Saturday.

Thursday 2 March 1922 Derby Daily Telegraph
Not more than 500 people were present on the Baseball Ground Wednesday afternoon, when the County entertained Everton Reserves, who are in the for the championship. Ritchie made welcome re-appearance after an absence of over two months. Teams : Derby: Boam; Downing, Ritichie; lnglis, Rance, Webb; Keetley, Abdallah , Paterson, Jackson, and Pattison. Everton: Salt; Caddick, Weller: Brown, Reid. Grenyer; Parry, Miller, Chadwick, all, and Alford. The ground was in a terrible- state, but some good football was seen, especially on the part of the visitors, who overcame the conditions in masterly style. The opening stages were very even, but at the end 15 minutes Reid beat Roam with free kick from just outside the penalty area. After this success the visitors took the game in hand, and Chadwick scored two further goals with splendid shots. The County attack was ragged, and they played without method, but after 5o minutes Paterson converted after Abdullah and Keetley had carried the ball down in pretty fashion. Half-time came with the visitors leading three goals to one. Derby opened better in the second half, but after six minutes Everton were awarded a penalty for an offence by Ingiis, from which Grenyer converted. Derby immediately away, and Paitisen drove into the net, the ball glancing off Caddick. Final—Everton Res. 4, Derby County Res. 3.

March 2, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
“Ours is a nice team, ours is” would be a popular song at Goodison Park, last night, after Middlesbrough had been beaten by four goals to one. Everton owed their success to the fact that they adopted the right tactics, swinging the ball about on the rain soaked and greasy turf, and shooting at nearly every opportunity. Nothing succeeds like success, and after the opening goal at the very outset they kept a good grip on their opponents, who contributed to their own downfall by holding the ball too close when within range of Fern. The last named made several good saves, but had not a great deal to do owing to the efficiency of McDonald, who made a welcome resumption after his illness, and Downs, the latter being a big source of strength, although he sustained a painful leg injury. Fleetwood was in his best vein, and Peacock and Hart held the opposing wings very firmly although the latter was somewhat rebust in his methods at times. Crossley was the artiste of the attack, because he shot unceasingly and with great force of accuracy. Harrison's elected runs and centres were also very useful, while Irvine worked hard, and the reserve wingers, Spencer, and Jones, imparted much-needed dash to the advance section. For the Boro' Harrison, the goalkeeper, made many clever clearances and the backs were sound, but the halves had a busy time. Wilson was the only forward to shoot, but he was frequently off the mark, not being given much room.

An usual incident was when Mr. Bamblett, the Wigan Boro' manager, and at one time a well-known referee, who deputised for one of the linesmen, advanced on the field to argue with the referee about reversing one of his thrown in decisions. The first goal was scored by Spencer, who rushed in a pass from Harrison. Fleetwood added the second, and his first this season, with a twenty-yards' drive –a splendid effort. Crossley added the third before the interval after the Boro' keeper had fallen to check a shot from Harrison, but allowed the ball to roll from his grasp. Irvine scored the fourth in the second half, heading in Harrison's corner kick. Mist interfered with the view of the moderate crowd (18,000) present all though the last 45 minutes. Both teams eased up, but just before the end George Carr shot Middlesbrough's only goal. The teams were: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart, half-backs, Jones Spencer, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Harrison, goal, Holmes, and Fox, backs, Davidson, W. Carr, and Ellerington, half-backs, J. Carr, Birrell, Wilson, G. Carr, and Urwin, forwards.

March 2, 1922. The Liverpool Echo
Everton Reserves won 4-3, at Derby yesterday and therefore they leap up to the second place in the Central League, and though they are two points behind Sheffield United they have matches in hand. It well be some consolation if the minor side lifts the Central League trophy. Chadwick scored twice against Derby County.

March 3, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Sam Fazackerlay of Everton has been suspended by the club, for disobedience, Fazackerley it is understood, was due to turn out for training on Monday, but refused to do so because of an agreement by which he does certain training on certain days. The directors objected and a suspension decree followed.

March 4 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton game is a vital one for the Goodison Park club, as a couple of points will lift them clear of the Second Division bogey which has so long been hanging over their heads. However, after the form served up in midweek against Middlesbrough, the Blues will look with some confidence as to the result, even though Irvine will be away assisting his county. The latter's place will be taken by Chadwick, of the Reserves, who has made quite a name during the past weeks as a marksman. The Everton side will be: - Fern, Downs, McDonald, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Jones Spencer Chadwick, Crossley, and Harrison.

March 6, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The shadow has lifted from the Everton camp. Talk of relegation fades before the dual victory last week, and the directors have also cause to be pleased that they have discovered another goal-scoring centre-forward. Chadwick, the young centre-forward, who has netted twice in each of his three games with the reserves, added another couple on first turning out with the seniors. The match was always an interesting one, between the two teams striving desperately because points meant much to each of them. Another defeat would be almost in the nature of a death blow to the City, and they did their best to avert it, but the Blues were always just a little the better and were entitled to their success. Both goalkeepers had their fair share of work, but the Blues generally were the better-balanced combination. It was rather remarkable to find three veteran players among the best on the field, but such was the case, reference being to Dicky Downs, Dicky Bond, and Storer, all of whom excelled themselves, and were several times to the fore when sheer speed was the determining factor. Downs had his right leg heavily bandaged from the ankle to his knee, but he played resolutely for the full 90 minutes, and was an excellent cover for Fern, who made clean catches of long shots with which he was tested. McDonald found Bond a rare handful, and the latter got across some capital centres which his inside men failed to utilise.

Peacock was the best of the home halves, though his partner linked up well with the men in front. Jones and Spencer made an effective right-wing. Chadwick was always waiting for chances, and passed well, while Harrison and Crossley had an excellent understanding, but did not shoot with their usual success. Apart from one blemish, when he dropped a shot from Spencer, Ewart guarded his goal very smartly, and his dashes were well judged, although George Harrison beat him once, only to see a back kick clear from the goal line. Potts was the better of the backs, Storer a thoroughgoing pivot and Bond stood out by himself in the forward line. The teams were: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald (captain), backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart, half-backs, Jones, Spencer, Chadwick, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Bradford City: - Ewart, goal, Potts, and Watson, backs, Pratt, Storer, and Duckett, half-backs, Bond, Logan, Carruthers, Chalmers, and Wynn, forwards.

March 6, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There was little to choose between the teams in the early stages of the Central League match between Preston North End Reserves and Everton Reserves, at Preston, when the North End won by 3 goals to 1. Shears scored for Preston in the first two minutes, and Miller, Everton's new recruit from Leyland, equalised a minute later. It was after a second goal by Shears that Everton appeared to lose their grip of the game, and though their occasionally attacked with vigour they were up against a sound defence. Marquis added to Preston's score half way through the second half. Towards the close of the game, Everton appeared to be wearing down the Preston defence, and Miller, Chedgzoy, and Alford, and Wall sent in shots which came very near to reaching the mark. The Preston forwards were rather quicker than their opponents, and their shooting was more deadly. Salt kept an excellent goal, making several really brilliant saves, and Caddick and Weller did good work. The former was off for a little time through an injury to his back. Everton: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Miller, McGivney, Wall, and Alford, forwards.

March 6 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Scotland played Ireland at Celtic Park Glasgow, on Saturday, in front of 40,000 spectators, Scotland winning by two goals to one.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 08 March 1922
 Jackson of Vale of Leven Goes to Everton.
Willie Jackson, the clever centre-forward of the Vale of Leven, was this forenoon transferred to Everton. Jackson, who is native of Renton, is 21 years of age, and is considered one of the best pivots in the Second League. lie has a fine turn of speed, a crack shot at goal, and has had a big say in the Vale's success this season.

Willie Jackson
Hull Daily Mail -Thursday 9 March 1922
Willie Jackson, the centre-forward of Vale of Leven. was on Wednesday transferred to Everton. Jackson, who is native of Renton, is 21, and considered one of the best centre-forwards in tho Scottish Second League. has fine turn of speed,'is a crack shot at goal, and has had a big say in the Vale club's success this season.

March 9, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Willie Jackson, the clever centre-forward of the Vale of Leven Club has been transferred to Everton, Jackson, who is a native of Renton, is 21 years old, and considered one of the best pivots in the second division. He has a fine turn of speed, is a crack shot at goal, and has had a big say in the Vale Club's success this season

March 11 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Bradford City up to a point gave Everton quite a good game at Goodison Park. Since then they have popped a valuable point at West Brom, and it would appear they are badly in need of a marksman. This afternoon they are hoping to extend the Blues in the hope of escaping relegation. This, however, is easier said than done, and unless some of the other lowly placed teams collapse altogether the Yorkshire Club would appear certain to spend at least an season in the lower direction. Everton are trying Irvine as partner to Harrison, other wise the side is unchanged from that which won last Saturday. They should return from Valley Parade with one point at least. Everton team is: - Fern, Downs McDonald, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Jones Spencer, Chadwick, Irvine, and Harrison.

March 13, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
It has taken Bradford City over three months to win a match, December 3 rd was the last time on which they managed to get two points, but they took up the winning vein again at the expense of Everton, and by so doing resigned the “wooden spoon” to Arsenal. There was one very regrettable feature of the game. Hunter Hart, the visiting half-back was sent off the field at the end of half an hour for an attempt kick at Hargreaves. The latter, in clearing, jabbed Hart on the thigh with the studs of his boots, and on the impulse of the moment Hart tried to hack him. He missed, but was sent off by the referee, Mr. F. Cheetham. The decision seemed to be rather a severe one, as Hart had not hurt Hargreaves in any way, and many were of the opinion that a caution would have met the case. In any case, if one man deserved marching orders, one would imagine that they should have been given to both players.

Naturally the loss of the half to a great extent disorganised the Everton ranks, and they went down to defeat by three goals to one. Everton were without Downs, whose left leg muscles gave way in the inter-league trial during the week, while the City were handicapped by the absence of Bond, who had his forehead split in a midweek game. The City showed themselves to be a much more g-ahead combination than they had been the previous week, and after 17 minutes Thomas –who was debutising for Bond and was making his initial appearance in first class football –made ground down the right and centred to the goal mouth, Chalmers heading out of Fern's reach. Everton made several spasmodic raids, and shortly after Hart had gone Spencer drove hard for the far post. The pace of the ball beat Ewart, but the leather went the wrong side of the upright. Then Fleetwood skimmed the bar with a rasping shot, but the visitors' luck was out, and about a minute before the interval the City added to their lead. Fern parried a fast drive from Hibbert, but the latter met the rebound and struck the crossbar, Logan meeting the second rebound to put the ball into the net, the great delight of the spectators, who had not seen the Valley Parade eleven go off the field with such a lead for a long time. The early portion of the second half, was waged at a great pace considering the holding nature of the turf, and at the end of an hour's play the City was successful a third time. Wynn lobbed to goal, Logan's header came back from the bar, and Thomas netted from an acute angle at close range. About ten minutes later Jones nicely placed a free kick and Chadwick converted with a first time drive. Play slowed down, but Bradford were the more aggressive, to the end.

The defeat of the visitors was only to be expected in view of the handicap under which they suffered. For the concluding portion of the first half the one back game was resorted to, McDonald going up into Hart's place, but in the second half Peacock crossed over, while Spencer dropped back, and Everton continued with four forwards. The defence was sound, and Fern made some daring clearances, especially from Hibbert, and his back hand throw from the line was one of the smartest things he has done. Livingstone was at his best when left on his own, and McDonald did double duty with his usual determination, placing well and breaking up many rushes. Peacock's tackling on either wing was the object of favorable comment. Fleetwood's defensive qualities were tested, to the full, and he got through heavy work with credit, while Spencer took up his new role to the manner born. Chadwick keeps on scoring, and such a fine opportunist deserves every encouragement. He is on the slow side yet, but knows where the net lies, and with more experience will be a decided acquisition. Harrison shot well with a dead ball, but his centres were not so accurate as those of Jones, and Irvine could not escape the attentions of Hargreaves. Ewart was as risky as ever in leaving his charge, but made some fine catches. Potts was the better of the backs, Hargreaves an attacking half, and Logan was the pick of the forwards. Hibbert's marksmanship being moderate. The teams were: - Bradford City: - Ewart, goal, Potts and Watson, backs, Hargreaves, Pratt, and Duckett, half-backs, Logan, Hibbert, Chalmers, and Wynn. Everton: - Fern, goal, Livingstone, and McDonald (captain), backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart, half-backs, Jones Spencer Chadwick, Irvine, and Harrison, forwards.

March 13 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
There was another good attendance at Goodison Park to witness Everton Reserves, beat Preston North End Reserves, after a keen game by 2 goals to 1. The Blues were the better side, though the North End put a plucky fight, a great defence being put up by F. J. Mitchell, the amateur goalkeeper, who by his brilliant saves managed to keep down the score. In the opening stages the exchanges lacked sting, but later, following a goal headed by Blair, for the Blues, the pay improved considerably. Croft, however, equalised just before the interval. Everton enjoyed more of the play in the second half, and again praise was due to the Preston defence in preventing the Blues from taking the lead until nearing the end, when Blair scored. Salt and the full backs Fare and Weller, were not unduly troubled though the nippy visiting forwards, kept them on the move. Reid again the shinning light of the half-backs, while Blair was the best of the forwards. Mitchell was the great man of the North End, while the backs and halves though not so stylish as the Everton defence were great stumbling blocks. All the forwards were good with Marquis, Shears, and Croft the pick. Teams: - Everton: - Salt, goal, Fare, and Weller backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs Parry, Miller, JE Blair, Wall, and Alford, forwards. Preston North End: - Mitchell, goal, Yates, and Broadhurst, backs, Sullivan, Burnet, and Lees, half-backs, Sping, Marquis, Shears, Croast, and Woodhouse, forwards. Referee G.H. Bunnell.

The Era -Wednesday 15 March 1922
Jack Cock, Chelsea's international centre, continues to score with "Smilin' Through."  "Old Pal," and "That's How I Believie In You."  Jack sends an enthusiastic wire from Hippodrome, Aston. 

March 16 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton's re-arranged game with Tottenham Hotspur turned out to be moderate quality on a turf, which favoured fast and accurate play. Neither side was able to score. At first blush this statement does not seem to say much in favour of the home eleven especially as Tottenham had six reserves in their side, but the performance of the Blues was quite passable seeing that they had only ten men for the whole of the second half. In the first half Everton had much the better of the midfield exchanges, and, though keeping Jacques fairly busily employed, there was a lack of finish, which was accentuated by the skilful interceptions of the visitors' backs, who forced the home attack to shoot from long range. As a result the ball all too frequently sailed over the bar. It was during this stage that peacock had a big lump raised on his head by an accidental kick, and before the interval he sustained a worse injury, his ankle being damaged to such an extent that he could take no further part in the game.

In the circumstances it was only natural that the ‘Spurs should assume the upper hand afterwards. Wilson found the net for them, but the whistle had previously been sounded for offside, and nothing better was seen than an earlier effort of Dimmock ,'s which travelled past Fern, but rebounded from the underside of the bar. Fern also dealt in masterly style with a great drive from Grimsdell, though here again he found the woodwork of assistance. Some of the attempts at goal, shooting however, were very elementary, and both Fern and Jacques were sufficiently on the alert to keep their charges intact. Both sides had a full back named McDonald, and each had a hand in the subjection of the opposing attacks, while the local skipper had in Weller a partner with anticipation though his clearances found touch more frequently than was necessary. Peacock did well whilst he was free from injury, and Spencer shaped creditably when he fell back to help the defence. Fleetwood worked untiringly, especially in the second half and Hart had the mastery of the opposing right wing. The home forwards, however, were spasmodic and moderate in finishing in the first half, while later they did not get many chances to shine. Grimsdell was the outstanding figure on the side of the visitors, while Handley made a creditable debut and with Wilson was the pick of the forwards, little being seen of Dimmock at any time. The teams were: - Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald (captain), and Weller, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Chadwick, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Tottenham Hotspur: - Jacques, goal, Pearson and McDonald, backs, Skinner, Lowe, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Banks, Lindsay, Wilson, Handley, and Dimmock, forwards. Referee. Mr. J.T. Howcroft.

March 16, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Leddy and Garrett, two reserve Everton half-backs, have been transferred to Chesterfield. Both players are useful exponents and will be of the utmost service to the Derbyshire Club. Leddy is an Irish centre-half of distinct worth and has played consistently well for the Central League team. It will be remembered that leddy was a Tranmere Rovers player and Everton were called on by the F.A. to pay the Rovers £500 after he had been signed at Goodison Park. Garrett has also accomplished some useful work the Blues' second string.

March 17, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton will return to the same forward combination against Preston North End tomorrow as did duty in the visit to Bradford City, so that Chedgzoy and Crossley will again be left out. Weller is retained at left full back, and Brown comes into the middle line in place of Peacock, whom sustained a nasty ankle injury yesterday. The full team will, therefore be, Fern, McDonald, Weller, Brown, Fleetwood, Hart, Jones, Spencer, Chadwick, Irvine, and Harrison. Jackson, the new Scottish centre-forward, is to turn out for the Blues' reserves against Bury reserves at Goodison Park, the kick off being timed for 3-15. The team will be Salt, Caddick, Livingstone, McGrae, Reid, Grenyer, Parry, Miller, Jackson, Wall, and Alford.

Although McCall, suffering from a sprained knee, is not yet fit, although under special treatment in Manchester hospital, Preston North End will be strongly represented. Jefferis and Quinn return to the forward line in place of Holland and Irving, and Crawford fills the left-half position, while Speak deputises for Doolan at left back. Branston (Rotherham County recruit) appears in goal. Team: - Branston, Hamilton, Speak, Duxbury, Waddell, Crawford, Rawling, Jefferis, Roberts, Woodhouse, and Quinn.

March 18, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton are engaged in a Lancashire duel, the Goodison Park team meeting Preston North End at Deepdale. After the inept display in midweek against Tottenham, it was only to be expected changes would be made in the Everton team. Peacock of course, was badly hurt and cannot turn out, so that Brown has been brought into the side. Forward the line reverts to the formation that did duty at Bradford a week ago, and will be an improvement on that of Wednesday. Whether the side will succeed in beating the North End is another matter, on recent form it won't. So far North End have lost but two games at home, and if they fail to win today's game they will create a surprise. The teams are - Everton, Fern, McDonald, Weller, Brown, Fleetwood, Hart, Jones, Spencer, Chadwick, Irvine, Harrison. North End: - Btranston, Hamilton, Speak, Duxbury, Waddell, Crawford, Rawlings, Jefferis, Roberts, Woodhouse, and Quinn.

March 20, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton were unlucky in one sense to lose at Preston, because they actually had the better of the play, but two of the simplest possible chances were missed by Chadwick, one in each half, so Preston's only goal enabled North End to augment their very fine home average. However, the display of the winners was far from convincing, and must have given many qualms to those who fancy the last hope of Lancashire in the Cup. Both forward lines were remiss with scoring chances, but, whereas the Everton defence was generally steady, the home backs made several blunders, and were indebted to the man behind for saving a number of awkward situations. Branston was sound throughout, and Fern was in his best form. He had no chance with the short-range shot, which beat him, and made several fine clearances, notably when the inside forwards were allowed to rush in from an offside position. The visiting goalkeeper fell on the ball at the feet of Roberts, and forced his way through his opponents to throw clear.

McDonald was the better of the Everton backs, but hopes of saving a point vanished when he left the field ten minutes before the end. In screwing the leather into touch from near the upright he strained the ligaments at the back of the ankle, but expects to be fit for the Home-Scots v Anglo-Scois match. Weller kicked a good length, but the Preston pair's work was very “streaky.” Some of Speak's volleys could not be improved upon but others asked for trouble. Regarding the half-backs, Fleetwood was the pick of the Blues trio, repeatedly checked Roberts. Hart was reliable as usual, and Brown did very well till seized with cramp in the leg in the closing stages. Preston felt the absence of McCall very much. Waddell being only a moderate pivot, and the best of the North-End middlemen was Williamson. Of the Everton forwards, the palm must be awarded to Irvine, who worked tremendously hard without being able to find an opening, though he flashed in one well-judged drive which caused Branston to make a brilliant one hand clearance. Spencer also played with plenty of dash, and Harrison's centres bothered the defence. Jones, on the other hand, did not get the ball into the middle, as he generally does, low passes being intercepted by the backs, and Chadwick marred his display by missing two of the easiest chances of the game. The home forwards also were uneven, and only the cool-thinking Jefferis and the speedy Quinn shaped in proper style.

The ball was lively, and seemed to suit Everton better than North End, with the result that after a few early dashes by the home side Everton applied pressure, but Harrison and Jones were very wide with half chances. The Preston backs crashed into each other and allowed Chadwick to slip past them in the penalty area, but with only the goalkeeper to beat, he failed to hit the ball properly, and it rolled harmlessly to the custodian. Preston had further lucky escapes, but then broke away, and after just over half an hour's play Rawlings' pass was converted by Roberts from short range. Just before the interval Irvine worked in and hooked the leather to goal, but Branston edged across just in time. In the second half, Everton had another chance, when the goalkeeper failed to reach Harrison's pass, but after it passed him it proved to be too high for Spencer to reach with his head. Following Fern's great save already referred to, there was a melee in the Preston goal, and Chadwick was left in possession a yard out with the custodian helpless; but the forward hesitated, and then tapped the ball the wrong side of the post. At this time McDonald had retired to the dressing-room, and the referee allowed Roberts to go on from an offside position; but when faced only by Fern he tamely lofted the ball over the bar. Fleetwood tried a high shot from near the half-way line, which completely deceived the custodian and bounced over his hands, but rebounded in front of him from the face of the bar. Shortly afterwards the visiting pivot handled in the penalty area, but the referee gave him the benefit of the doubt, and the concluding episodes were misses by Roberts and Chadwick respectively. The teams were: - Preston North End: - Branston, goal, Hamilton, and Speak, backs, Duxbury, Waddell, and Williamson, half-backs, Rawlings, Jefferis, Roberts, Woodhouse, and Quinn, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald (captain), and Weller, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart, half-backs, Jones, Spencer, Chadwick, Irvine, and Crossley, forwards.

March 20, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
It was only in the last minute of the game at Goodison Park that Everton Reserves secured the victory in the match with Bury Reserve on Saturday. Throughout the game the defences of both teams were superior to the respective attacks, but the forwards had several scoring chances which were not utilised to the best advantage. McCrae did net the ball for the visitors, but the whistle had previously gone for infringement. On the other hand, Wall, for Everton, was frequently close with good efforts, but it was left to Grenyer to head the only goal of the match from a corner by Parry, almost on time. Jackson the new centre from Vale of Leven, showed speed and cleverness in ball control. He continually hustled the defence and swung the ball well, but throughout the game he was badly supported. He was made to forage for himself, and rarely secured the ball near enough to goal to be dangerous, and by this, of course his play naturally suffered. Caddick and Livingstone were kept at full stretch, but proved equal to the calls made upon them. The half-back trio worked hard and well McGrae, who secured his place owing to Brown being called upon for first team duty, played well indeed. The forwards were not so good. Wall was the pick of the line and plied Alford with chances which was generally not accepted, while Miller on the right, was a rare forager. Apart from one or two mistakes Adamson aid Allen were sound backs for the visitors and Callagher a fine half-back. McGrae was a live wire at centre, and altogether the forwards were a nippy lot, Ritchie and Stage being particularly good. Everton: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones Spencer, Irvine, Wall, and Alford forwards.

The Stage - Thursday 23 March 1922
Metropole (P., W.H. Broadhurst and son; A.M., Rex Sugden) -Variety is the attraction here, with jack Cock (Vocalist) and Sidney Lennox (at the piano) entertaining us well.  Tom Fox is a bright comedian.  ulot and Piero have vocal and comic gifts.  The four Revels are popular with speciality dances.  Lawrence and Bowie provide musical comedy items.  Daring and clever are the Three Morrellys on the trapeze.  The La Fittes are novel entertainers, and Leslie Hatton's coon songs are appreciated. 

March 23, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
In order to facilitate other arrangements for Saturday, the directors of Everton prevailed upon Bury to play their return Central League fixture at Gigg Lane yesterday, Bury receiving a solution towards loss of gate. The whether was fine but cold, with the wind behind them in the first half, Everton right from the start, bustled the home defence, but the visitors attack though forceful lacked cohesion and methods. Bury's raids were rare but sparkling, and after seventeen minutes Ritchies headed through from a corner, Salt having no chance. For a long time the respective defences dominated the play, and there was plenty of midfield work, with long kicking by both defences. Everton found the strong wind of little assistance for they could not settle down. In the second half the visitors improved for a while, but poor finishing nullified their excellent midfield work. Bury were soon hustling the Everton defence, and from a pass by Store, Hind tapped the ball into the net. Several fine efforts by Everton's wingers enabled Turner to bring of some fine saves. Fazackerley twice missed an open goal. Bury's victory was well merited. They were the keener, smarter, and better balanced. Everton made the mistake of underwaiting their opponents, and were bustled of their game in consequence Grenyer was outstanding and Jones and Alford were excellent, but the inside forwards were slow. Salt performed admirably in goal. Everton: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Weller backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs Jones Spencer, Irvine, Fazackerley, and Alford, forwards.

March 23, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team, which beat Bangor at Bangor by 1 goal to nil, yesterday, included Fern, Chadwick, and Brewster. At the outset Bangor were over-played, and Mckenna, of Grayson, saved a couple of hot shots from Young and Chadwick. For the rest of the game, however, Bangor not only held their own, but at times stretched the Everton defence to the utmost. Fern twice clearing dangerous shots and twice being very lucky in his clearances. The Bangor half-back line was almost impassable, the tackling being fine, and at the interval the score-sheet was blank. In the second half Everton made determined efforts to score, but the Bangor forwards frequently assailed the Everton goal, and Fern made four brilliant clearances. He was absolutely beaten two minutes from the end of the game, when Victor Williams drove in a perfect centre by Hugh Owens, but the ball was turned behind owing to an irregularity of the ground. Everton retaliated from the goal kick, and out of a melee in the goalmouth Chadwick beat McKenna, who was unsighted. The receipts amounted to £90, a record for a Wednesday match on the Welsh Coast . Everton: - Fern, goal, Fare, and Yarwood, backs, Jeffs, Brewster (captain), and McGrae, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Chadwick, Jackson, and Young, forwards.

March 24 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton Reserves team to meet Liverpool on Saturday have been chosen as follows: - Salt, Caddick, Livingstone, Jeffs, Reid, Grenyer, Jones, Spencer, Irvine, Fazackerley, and Alford. Brown and Weller have been chosen to play for the Centre League against the Southern League.

March 27, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton beat Liverpool by the odd goal scored in the semi-final game at Goodison Park on Saturday. The score under-estimated Everton's superiority, and it was only the brilliant display of Pearson in the Anfielder's goal that prevented Everton winning by a much bigger margin. Everton were a well-balanced side. The defence was sound and the half backs played up to the forwards so. The weakness of the inside forwards ruined many fine movements, and Irvine, Wall, and Spencer frequently shot very wide. The game was keenly and clearly fought, and Everton were unquestionably the cleverer side. Pearson services were in great demands, and he dealt with many shots in masterly style. His display was one of the features of the game. Owen, who occupied the centre position in the Liverpool forward line started in great style. He was forceful and showed clever control, but was badly supported and had few opportunities in the subsequent stages. Wall scored the only goal, after thirty-five minutes play. Teams : - Everton Reserves: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, Jeff, Reid, and Grenyer, half-back, s, Jones, Spencer, Irvine, Wall, and Alford, forwards. Liverpool Reserves: - Pearson, goal, Lilley, and Kane, backs, Bamber, Checkland, and Cunningham, half-backs, Gilhegy. McKinney, Owen,. Thompson, and Wadsworth, forwards.

March 27, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Molineux ground, Wolverhampton, on Saturday, the Central League beat the Southern League by 5 goals to 1. About 5,000 spectators watch the match, Brown and Weller of Everton playing for the Centrel League and Weller scoring a penalty kick goal.

March 28, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Robert Downs, the Everton full back, who refereed the Ladies football match at the Stanley Athletic ground, Fairfield, yesterday, has been absent from the Blue's side for some weeks though injury. It is expected, however, that he will be fit to play in the match on Saturday. He has yet to visit a specialist this week before being allowed to turn out, but the player himself is certain of his fitness. McDonald is likely to be an absentee, as he is at present suffering from ankle trouble, which compelled to stand down from the Anglo-Scot side last Wednesday.

March 29, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The quaint position of the Lancashire cup is to be discussed by the Lancashire Football Association tonight at Burnley, when Everton, Liverpool, and Bolton will have representation present. The position is that Everton, Liverpool and Bolton have tied and not merely has each side won, lost and drawn the same numbers of matches, but the goal average also are identical.

March 30, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At a meeting of the Lancashire Football Association at Burnley last night, the position that has arisen in connection with the Lancashire cup was discussed, Everton, Liverpool and Bolton having tried, Everton and Liverpool it was stated did not want to play any extra matches because of their position in the League. After some discussion, it was decided that the names of the clubs should go into the hat, and the mayor of Burnley present made the draw, Liverpool given a bye and Bolton won the toss for choice of ground with Everton, the date of the match will be mutually arranged.

March 30, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton's position is by no means comfortable, and the match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday is of the utmost importance. A victory to the Goodison Brigade would certainly be most acceptable just now. Fortunately Downs and McDonlad have recovered sufficiently to turn out and they should create new hope. Other changes have been resorted to Brewster coming back at centre half, while J.E. Blair is to occupy the centre forward berth. The noted amateur it will be remembered assisted the Blues League team early on in the season, but he has been suffering from injury of late. Irvine is to partner Chedgzoy on the right, and Wall is re-introduced. The team is as follows: - Fern, Downs, McDonald, Brown Brewster, Peacock, Chedgzoy, Irvine, JE Blair, Wall, and Harrison.

March 30, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves have only themselves to blame for their defeat by Port Vale at Goodison Park yesterday. They had almost all the play in the first half, but could not crown it with a goal although they had many chances. They tried to walk the ball though, when a shot would have sufficed. Following a long shot by Reid, Young missed a golden opportunity, and even when Lavery presented him with another chance he failed to shoot properly. The best shot of the half came from Alford from an angle that was almost impossible, but Bourne got it away. Port Vale, who were seldom dangerous, in the first half rallied to some purpose in the second portion, and after twenty five minutes took the lead. A free kick was awarded against Everton. This was placed right in the goalmouth, and Peart a tall centre, headed it past Salt. Peart came near scoring a second. Gilding the ball neatly round Caddick he had a good chance, but miskicked. Evertonians determined efforts to save the game and Chadwick did get the ball through, but was offside. The best shot of the second half also went to Alford, and it was only a brilliant save by Bourne that prevented Everton from drawing level. It was a poor game, in which neither side did really well. Jones was off colour and Pearson ex-Liverpool, although showing some pretty touches at times was only moderate. Everton: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone backs Jeffs, Reid, and Leary, half-backs, Jones, Miller, Chadwick, Young, and Alford, forwards.





March 1922