Everton Independent Research Data


March 1, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By F.M.N.
In a game brimful of thrills Everton defeated Middlesbrough by 5-3, Cock and Birrell each netting thrice for their respective sides. The Middlesbrough man thus completed the hat-trick, but the Everton centre had a point by Chadwick sandwiched between the first and second goals. Midway through the first half the crowd was roused to a high pitch by Everton scoring three times in four minutes; but Middlesbrough; but Middlesbrough played strongly in the early portions of the second half, and at one time reduced the margin to a goal, there being an exciting struggle for the mastery. Heavy scoring such as this is a source of great delight to the average enthusiast, and certainly the 20,000 onlookers had full value for their money, the shooting being of a high standard, while the general quality of the play considering the heavy going, was certainly of a very skilful character.

Everton were undoubtedly the better side. The forwards and halves worked in unison with telling effect, and there is no doubt that Everton now possess the making of a very fine side. True the backs were not as strong as they might have been, but some allowance must be made for the slippery state of the turf. The feature of the game, however, was the smoothness with which the home forward line worked, and Cock'' leadership was a revelation. The ex-Chelsea centre is rapidly gaining confidence and his subtle passes and excellent marksmanship paved the way to many raids on Williamson's charge. He shot better than in any of his previous outings with his new club, and with a little luck might easily have added to his total. Chadwick's work in midfield also showed an advance though he is still lacking in pace. Irvine worked hard, and Chedgzoy and Troup were excellent wing forwards, both showing pace, craft and shooting ability. The halves were rare spoilers and judicious feeders. McBain keeping Wilson in check, while Hart and Peacock vied with each other in manipulation and footcraft. Both Raitt and Livingstone have played better, but Fern had little chance with the shots that scored. The visitors contested the issue strongly, but were so good as their opponents in the mud. Fox and Homes were not too sound, but Williamson is still a capital custodian. Webster was the best of the halves, and Jack Carr and Birrell constituted the strongest part of the forward line.

At the outset the play was even, neat exchanges characterising the proceedings, and Cock very soon hit the post with a well-meant effort. It was level pegging for 20 minutes, however, and then Cock went through to score a fine goal. Soon afterwards a Chadwick drive from Chedgzoy's centred entered the net, and then Troup cut in to fire in a strong drive at Williamson. The ball rebounded off the keeper, and Cock racing up headed Everton's third goal. Birell's first point was then secured and to wind up a lively first half Cock received the ball on the half-way line from Troup, and, racing ahead in fine style he kept control, despite the attentions of Holmes, and fired the ball into the top part of the net at great speed. It was certainly the most brilliant effort of the afternoon. In the early portion of the second half Middlesbrough showed that they were not dismayed and Birrell quickly clapped on two goals. It was a surprising turn of events that Everton had to fight hard for victory. At length after several narrow escapes Chedgzoy obtained the fifth goal, which settled the issue. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, Backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, Holmes, and Fox, backs, Davidson, Webster, and Pender, half-backs, J. Carr, Birrell, Wilson, Donaghy, and Urwin, forwards. Referee Mr. HV Scott.

March 2, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton will field the following team against Oldham at Oldham tomorrow: - Fern, Raitt, Livingstone, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup. Harland is going on as well as can be expected. He is still in St. George's hospital, London. Four other players are on the casualty list, Downs, Brown, Williams, and Wall. McBain is, of course absent from tomorrow's team owing to Scotland's call on his service.

Fazzy Again.
Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 03 March 1923
Stanley Fazakerley, the ex-Sheffield l and Everton inside-right, cannot be declared anything but a great success since he went to Wolverhampton, for although he has only been a "Wolf' ' since November last he is now top scorer for the club.  Stan married the daughter of the licensee of the Station Hotel—opposite the London. Midland and  Scottish Railway Station at he still resides there.

Chedgzoy at His Best.
Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 03 March 1923
The recent form of Sammy Chedgzoy, the right winger, brought him right into international limelight, and it should he remembered that when has played for England he has always made huge success the right wing position. Sammy went to Canada last summer vowing he would never kick another ball again for Everton, yet here he playing better than ever.

MARCH 5, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The Evertonians were distinctly unlucky in losing their match with Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park on Saturday. Talking a general view of the game there was comparatively little to chose between the two sides. The Oldham forwards however, seemed to be rather quicker on the ball than their antagonists, and they certainly made better use of their progressive work then the visitors. Considering the conditions –a heavy ground and a poor light, accompanied by an occasional shower –the game was an exceptionally keen and strenuous one. From start to finish episode followed upon episode in the most arresting fashion, and the breathing space at the interval was well earned. In the second period there was no cessation of keenness, and Everton would only have secured their due had an equaliser been allowed over a questionable point as to whether the ball was actually over the goal line when it was cleared by Matthews. Oldham, as everybody knows, are desperately in need of points in order to escape relegation to the Second Division, and to this extent they are entitled to congratulate themselves upon their victory. At the same time, Everton deserves sympathy in not at least sharing the points with the Athletic club.

There were 18,000 people present before the game had concluded, and despite the weather conditions they obviously enjoyed the encounter. The visitors set the pace with rare dash, and within the first few minutes of the contest Irvine put in a shot that was very unfortunately diverted by Wynne. Subsequently Troup and Chedgzoy showed what adroit wingers they are, but their efforts were spoiled by a very cool and confident defence. The one and only goal of the match came after half an hour's play, and it was due to a really brilliant bit of work on the part of Douglas. He had moved along at top speed and had completely beaten Livingstone when he put the ball to Watson, who headed through just out of Fern's reach. Nothing further happened until the interval, although the visitors exercised their best endeavours to gain an equalising goal. Cock more than once looked like turning passes to good account, but he was so well watched by Pilkington that he was unable to profit by the openings offered. In the second half Everton were still more unfortunate in their operations, although they had experienced, it should be mentioned, a slice of luck earlier on in the first half when fern made a really wonderful save from Douglas. Their misfortune, however, was that Chadwick headed the ball right into the goalmouth, and Matthews stepping back, gathered it and threw clear. There was a claim that the leather had passed over the line, but this was not allowed. In the later stages Everton showed superior footwork to that of the Oldham players, but they finished badly, and in the end victory rested with the home team.

Speaking generally, the Everton side, although without their new centre-half gave a very creditable account of themselves. Troup and Chadwick made a very useful wing combining at times very cleverly, and Cock showed that he is a centre-forward of more than average intelligence and ability. The right wing pair also did well, and the half-back line, with Fleetwood as the pivot, did their best to break up the attacks of Staniforth and his wings, Livingstone was erratic. He was mainly responsible for the only goal, but on the other hand, he did many brilliant things. Raiit show that he has now developed into an accomplished player on English lines and Fern quite covered himself with glory by the shot he saved, to which allusion has already been made. Teams : - Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Wynne, and Freeman, backs, Taylor, Pilkington, and Naylor, half-backs, Doulas, Horrock, Staniforth, Rrasendale, and Watosn, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. S. Rothwell.

March 5, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The race for the leadership of the Central League is becoming very keen, and Everton Reserves enhanced their hopes by taking 2 points from Bury. Second position. West Bromwich Albion being leaders by 2 points and a match in hand. The steady drizzle that proceeded the game at Goodison Park marred whatever hopes there might have been of good football, for the ground was in very bad state. Despite the handicap, Everton occasionally showed spasms of the form that has been the cause of their rise in the League table. Although Bury put up a stern fight, they were no match for the strong Everton defence. Strengthened by the return of McDonald, and only on rare occasions did the visitors look like scoring the most notable being when Scullian was going through on his own down the centre, and when close in was eventually crowded out by McDonald and Caddick. Other than this Bury were never really dangerous, although a couple of good shots in the second half came from the inside right, but they were not the type that usually catch a keeper napping. The first half showed Everton the superior side, for, by adopting the long, swinging passes with accuracy, they were repeatedly on the attack, whereas the combination of the Bury forwards at times was inclined to be a bit ragged. At the interval Everton led by 2 goals to nil, the first being scored by Virr in the first minute. Forbes was wondering his way goalwards when just outside the penalty zone he was brought down rather forcibly by Gorman, and from the free kick taken by Reid, Virr scored with a ground drive after a defender had attempted to head away. Ten minutes later Forbes scored a second with a splendid shot. After the interval Bury livened up, but seemed unable to adapt themselves to the conditions, and Forbes added a third, and close on time Harrison, a fourth from a penalty for Everton, who on the run of play certainly merited their win.

March 5, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Scotland beat Ireland at Belfast, which attracted 30,000 spectators, by a goal to none. McBain playing for the Scottish team, and was recognized as the best half-back of the three for Scotland.

March 12, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
A goalless draw was the result of the meeting of Everton and Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park on Saturday. Oldham have thus enriched themselves by three points out of the two games with Everton. The game was not a good one in fact it might truthfully be said it was one of the poorest of the season, and neither side deserved a goal. The Everton forwards spoiled their chances by too much elaboration. They were obsessed with the idea of finesse, and allowed shooting chances to pass in the most glaring manner. This policy suited the Oldham defenders to a nicety, for they had sufficient confidence and ability to beat the Everton forwards in close play. Everton had a greater share of the attack, yet the visitors frequently looked more dangerous side. Oldham were never brilliant, but were excellent spoilers. The shooting was so poor that neither Fern nor Matthews were seriously tried. Raitt was the better of the Everton backs, for Livingstone was too frequently beaten to inspire confidence. Everton's best section was the half-back line, for the forwards could not complain of the lack of chances from this source. Troup was clever with the ball, and if he was inclined to shoot from too great a distance he supplied his colleagues with excellent openings. Cock did not hold the line with his usual skill, and the forwards as a whole were very disappointing. Oldham's defenders were sound, they had a splendid half-back in Naylor, who was effective in both attack and defence. Horrocks and Douglas made a useful wing, but like the Everton forwards they did not make a penetrating force. The game had a few interesting features, and play throughout was of very mediocre quality. The Oldham forwards were keen to establish an early lead, and Naylor helped with a fine shot which Fern took neatly near the crossbar. Cock put in his best work in the early stages, and he planned some nice movements, but repeated failure made him a weak leader long before the end.

Troup's clever footwork led to nice openings, and he always had the measure of the opposing defence. Everton's great trouble was poor finishing to which they contributed by holding to the ball too long. Once Taylor dashed in to take a centre by Watson, but he did not control the ball well, and Fern got it away easily. Troup placed the ball into goal from the touchline, and Hart shot over. A sensible centre by Peacock looked promising, and there was danger when Douglas got smartly away from Livingstone. He placed the ball well across the Everton goal, and although Watson returned it nothing tangible accrued. The shooting of both sides was extremely poor, but Chadwick drove in a fine effort after Troup had kept the ball in play. Chadwick almost got past Matthew's defence with a header and Douglas worked out one of the best chances of the game when he shot past Livingstone with the ball at his toe. The Oldham man, however, finished with a very high shot, with only the goalkeeper in front of him. The best efforts came in the closing stages. Irvine sent in a glorious drive and Troup had a close in shot luckily blocked by Wynne. It was a game of missed chances, and the forwards of both sides had little to their credit. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Wynne, and Freeman, backs, Taylor, Pilkington, and Naylor, half-backs, Douglas, Horrocks, Staniforth, Bassingdale, and Watson, forwards. Referee Mr. S. Rothwell.

March 16, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton players had a joy day, yesterday, when they played St. Francis Xavier's College a football match at West Derby, and were later entertained at the College, Salisbury-street. Naturally Everton, who were at full strength did not consider the match seriously, and treated it as a more or less serio comic affair. Their won by six goals to four, and throughout Jack Cock was the hero of the match. The centre scored three goals for the Blues, almost put past Fern, gave the opposing forwards opportunities of scoring, and finished up by being cautioned by the referee –J. McGrae, the Everton half-back.

All this was done, of course in humorous vein, and was greatly appreciated by a large number of spectators. The Blues generally gave their youthful opponents an object lesson in the art of class football, though they did not pile on the score from the openings they made for themselves. Apart from the three goals scored by Cock, Peacock secured two-one a glorious drive from long range, and Chedgzoy the sixth (Daily Post a Penalty kick ). Locke scored the opening goal for St. Francis, Cannell following with a second.

It was Cock who enabled the home side to secure the remaining two, for he gave W. Connerty a grit pass right in front of goal, and later grasped the same player round the waist as he going through. J. Paden scoring his sixth goal of the season from the resultant penalty kick . It was a most enjoyable game, the amusing episodes only serving to give a fillip to the remainder of the play. The players were entertained to tea, and later engaged in a billiard match with St. Francis C.Y.M.S. club. Father Melling presented Mr. Banks, the Everton director with a gold medal, on which was inscribed the college arms, to commemorate the unique occasion, and J. Paden, the St. Francis' centre forward, received a silver cup presented by the college, in honour of his setting up a school record by scoring 60 goals in one season. The presentation was made by Hunter Hart, the Everton captain who, in a few well-chosen words expressed his admiration for the prowess of the young centre forward . Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

March 16, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
David Raitt, the Everton full-back, is suffering from an injured shoulder and is not likely to play against Sheffield United to-morrow. This will be the Scot's first miss since he gained his place in the senior side, and as both Downs and Livingstone are on the injured list the Blues are faced with a problem.

March 19, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton accomplished one of their best performances of the season in beating Sheffield United by the substantial score of five goals to one, at Goodison Park, on Saturday. As one of the Football Association Cup semi-finalists, United's visit aroused considerable interest, but it was a different side to the one that put Liverpool out of the Cup. The personal element was almost identical –Richardson for Pantling was the only change –yet one had difficulty in realising this, so much inferior was United's display. It was not one of United's happy days, but Everton certainly won on their merits, for they were the more convincing side. For the best part of the first half Sheffield produced some of their most dazzling play, but Everton led at the turn by 3-1. The margin in Everton's favour was hardly in keeping with the trend of the game, but it could not be denied that in shooting frequently from all angles Everton adopted the right tactics and at the same time found Sheffields weakness. The United forwards played attractive football, but were handicapped with an unsound defence. On the other hand, Everton were well served in all departments. In defence none did better than Downs. He volleyed perfectly, and frequently checked the Sheffield left wing with great skill. McBain was a fine pivot, methodical and effective, while Peacock and Hart made excellent use of the ball. The forwards were enterprising and trustful, and if their combined work, was not so attractive as that of Sheffield, they had plenty of initiative. Troup's clever runs and centres were effectively used by the inside men. Cock held the line well, and Chedgzoy put in some sparkling runs. Blackwell in the Sheffield goal, was anything but reliable. His judgement was faulty, and he should certainly have saved two of the shots that scored. The backs started well, but failed to stand the strain of Everton's relentless pressure. They got rid of the ball at any cost, so that their own attackers got little assistance. The half backs had a poor day, and in spite of their cleverness the forwards faded out through lack of support.

The game opened well and with a lively ball play was very fast. Cock was almost through in the first minute, and Chadwick, with a free kick, hit the side netting, Downs was in resplendent form, and when United advanced by the aid of their left wing Downs gave a sample of his best work. He made one mistake throughout the game when attempted a clearance from a centre by Mercer, but Fern's liveness saved the situation. The United forwards manceurved cleverly, and when Johnson rounded the Everton defence Fern came out and saved a fine shot. Then a brilliant shot by Chadwick looked to he going into the corner of the goal with Blackwell unable to get to the ball, but the spin carried it against the upright, and afterward there was a glut of exciting incidents. Johnson headed against the crossbar, and, taking the rebound, he reheaded the ball, Downs making a clever clearance with his head. At twenty-six minutes Cock opened the scoring with a long, low drive that Blackwell ought to have stopped, but the ball passed into the net before the goalkeeper could get a grip on the ball. Everton's advantage was neutralised two minutes later when Sampy scored with a terrific low drive that just crossed the line under Fern's prostrates body. At thirty-six minutes Chadwick placed Everton ahead again by heading through a long cross pass by Irvine, and two minutes later the latter crashed the ball into the net as it came from Troup. The ball appeared to strike the crossbar, cross the goal line, and rebound into play, but Cock made doubly sure by applying the ball into the net. Everton had come more into the picture, and for a time the United forwards were idle. After Fern had handed out a header by Sampy which the United claimed had crossed the goal line Chedgzoy scored Everton's fourth goal. Chedgzoy made the drive with his left foot, and although Blackwell fell for the ball he could not prevent it striking the foot of the far upright and entering the net. United were now a well-beaten side, but Everton did not relax their efforts, and the United defenders had more work than they could satisfactorily manage. Irvine scored a fifth goal at seventy-eight minutes with a shot that Blackwell had no possible chance of saving. Troup started the movement, and his centre was a perfect one, which left Irvine right in front of the Sheffield goal. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Sheffield United: - Blackwell, goal, Cook, and Milton, backs, Richardson, Waugh, and Plant, half-backs, Mercer, Sampy, Johnson, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards. Referee Mr. Noel Watson.

March 19, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Old Trafford. The home team opened strongly, and after a few minutes a centre by Lievesly was met by Cartman who beat Salt with a capital goal. A brief attack by Everton was repulsed, and after a fine individual effort Broom scored a second for United. Everton again attacked, Forbes scoring, and Miller made the scores level. The second half was vigorously contested, but neither side could score the winning goal . Everton: - Salt goal, Caddick, and Weller, Jeffs, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards .

March 22, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park, yesterday, Everton Reserves won their Central League game against Liverpool Reserves, by no fewer than 8 goals to 2. It was a remarkable turn round, for Everton were in arrears for some time, and at half-time the score was 2 each. In the second half Liverpool gradually went from bad to worse, and Everton, playing good, confident, combined football, outplayed their opponents. The goalscorers were Forbes (3), Miller (2), Harrison (penalty), Williams, and Grenyer. It was a triumph of deadly shooting as against a side that could not get going in attack. Wadsworth and Lewis on the left wing were out of touch with the game, and could do nothing right. Even worse was the case of Gilhespy and Shone, and Sambrooke after the first twenty minutes fell away. At half-back Bamber did much good work early on, and with Lucas kept the Everton left wing in some semblance of subjection. After that Harrison revelled in his game, and playing bright lively football and receiving encouraging passes from Williams and Grenyer, the Everton team simply riddled the defence. There were two occasions when temper was shown –first when Parry, the Liverpool back adopted a threatening attitude, and next when Wilkinson, the goalkeeper, in apparent disgusts kicked the ball behind his own goal. Everton had the bigger and better side, and there was more balance about the defence, for Weller and Caddick shaped well, whereas Parry was uncertain in his kicking. At half-back there was a vast difference, Reid, Jeffs, and Grenyer outclassing their rivals. Forward Forbes kept a good position Parry and Miller were sprightly and the left wing was in excellent form, the shooting after ten minutes' play, when the players were inclined to hang on to the ball, being to the point. The Liverpool goals were scored by Sambrooke and Bamber. Teams: - Everton Reserves: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Jeffs, Reid, Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Liverpool Reserves: - Wilkinson, goal, Lucas, and Parry, backs, Bamber, Rogers, and R. Mitchell, half-backs, Gilhespy, Shone, Sambrooke, Lewis, and H. Wadsworth, forwards .

March 26 1923. The Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton played the Corinthians on Saturday, on the old Cup-Final ground at the Crystal Palace, and were beaten by 3 goals to 2. Had the occasion been a real final the critics would have been severe on them had they pushed home their attacks with greater determination. The Corinthians deserved their victory, especially as they were with out Doggart all the second half. It was strange that a penalty was given against each side. (Chadwick penalty kick was saved and Doggart scored his penalty kick -Echo), because it was a very clean game. There was however, nothing wrong with the referee's decisions in giving a penalty against Raitt and Knight. The Everton halves and forwards enjoyed pushing the ball along the ground to each other, and it looked very nice until a Corinthian joined in the business and robbed them. In the second half Chadwick Cock, and Irvine contended themselves by shifting the responsibility on to one another instead of snapping up the ball and going through. Cock was really a tame centre forward on the day's play, and he simply had to kick the ball to score his first half goal. Troup was a real pleasure to watch, and his fast movements and hard low drives goalwards were a feature of the game. Creek and Doggart were the most effective pair of forwards, and it was unfortunate that their exhibition closed down by an accident to Doggart. Phillips is a young player who has made his mark with the famous amateur side this season, and his 2 goals were a tribute to his skill. Nothing but praise can be given to the two goalkeepers Fern and Baker. The dashes of the Corinthians frequently had the Everton defence guessing. Everton scores were Cock and Irvine. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raiit, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

March 26, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton are making a strong bid for the championship, and have not lost a match since last October, their victory over Liverpool during the week placing them well in the running. Everton played the same team against Manchester united, at Goodison Park, and won by 3 goals to nil. With the exception of early in the second half, they enjoyed most of the attack. After eight minutes' play, Forbes headed in a fine centre from Harrison. Salt was rarely troubled, and the chief danger from the visitors came through their extreme wingmen, Livesley and Thomas, but Caddick and Weller played a strong game in defence. The low scoring was due to the fine work of Stewart in the visitors' goal, although at times he was lucky in getting the ball away. With a goal lead in the second half, Everton were early placed on the defensive, and Salt brought off clever saves from Bain and Broome. Afterwards Everton had the best of matters, and added further goals through Williams and Harrison (from a penalty). On the play Everton fully deserved their victory, the whole team played well. Everton: -Salt, goal, Caddick and Weller, backs Jeffs, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller Forbes, Williams and Harrison, forwards.

March 26, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Townsend-Lane. The visitors gained the lead within the first minute through a penalty converted by Naylor. Kelly made an excellent effort to save, but failed to hold the ball. After this early reverse the home team attacked, and after excellent work between Virr and Rimmer the ball was sent across to Heskith, who grazed the bar. Kelly next made a good save from Pilkington at close quarters, and later tipped a hot shot from Lyons over the bar. Rimmer just missed equalising by inches. Close upon the interval the home team equalised through Kesketh after excellent footwork by Virr. The visitors, tried hard to gain the lead, and Kelly saved well in quick succession from Lyons, Hayes, and Pilkington. The second half opened in brisk fashion, and good football was witnessed by both sides both goalkeepers saving well. The home team took the lead through Green, and soon after Virr put them further ahead. Lyons sent in a terrific shot, which Kelly, saved at full length; the visitors claimed that the ball had crossed the line, but the referee ruled otherwise. After this some feeling was introduced, and one of the home backs was cautioned. Kelly, Spicer, McCrae, Hughes, and Virr played a good game for Everton, whilst Prescot were best represented by Fisher Naylor, Roughley, Lyons, and Dagnall.

March 31, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton were a grand side at Bolton yesterday, where a big holiday crowd of 40,000 spectators saw them toy with the Cup finalists, displaying superb footwork and sparkling combination. Their forwards were much too smart and quick in midfield for the Wanderers, whose front rank were so soundly tackled as to be rendered impotent. Then nothing seemed to go right with their passing, and with the exception of a clever screw shot from Jack, Fern had little to accomplish. Chadwick opened Everton's score in seven minutes with a surprise snap shot taken from a difficult angle, and at the end of half-an-hour Troup dribbled away and, with Pym unsighted, added a second with a fast-rising shot.

A few minutes later, however, Cock was accidentally kicked in the ribs, and after being attended to by ambulance men left the field. He was so badly injured that he did not turn out in the second half, the visitors relying on four forwards, and consequently the Wanderers had more of the game. In the closing stages Joe Smith twice delayed his shot's a fraction too late, Downs eventually charging down his fast drives. Everton's defence was wonderfully sound when Bolton put on pressure, but still the home forwards were never up to their usual standard. There was a lack of combination and steadiness, and the side was beaten at home for the first time in 12 months. The visitors were superior in practically every department. Their half-back line was strong and the forwards were particularly clever, especially when they had the assistance of Cock. Chedgzoy and Troup on the wings caused endless trouble to Pym, and Irvine and Chadwick were always smart in foraging the latter also being the most conspicuous marksman on the field. Fern had an easy task, and was well protected by Downs and McDonald, though the latter often ballooned his returns. Seddon and Joe Smith did a lot of hard work on the home side, but there was a suspicion that they were holding themselves in view of more important business a month hence, Everton, however, were on their best behaviour. Everton: - Fern goal, Downs, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

March 31 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
At Goodison Park Everton lost a point which may jeopardise their chance of league honours. They opened in irresistible form, and were soon leading. Forbes shot, Hinton stopped it, but could not clear, and Parry steered the ball into the net. Just later Williams missed an opportunity by shooting over the bar. Bolton came more prominent, and Hughes should have equalised. He made amends when he beat Reid and Livingstone, and drawing Salt, netted easily. Before half-time Williams regained the lead from a centre by Parry. Bolton played better in the second half, and the equaliser came from a penalty taken by Newes for hands again Weller. Everton's defence played well in the first half, but later could not cope with the raids of Simpson, and Roberts, who were splendid wingers. Forward the Blues were well served by Harrison and Forbes, while Parry made good use of the very few opportunities, which came his way, but was starved in the second, half. Everton: - Salt, goal, Livingstone, and Weller, backs, Jeffs, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison, forwards.



March 1923