Everton Independent Research Data



March 4 th 1929. The Daily Courier.




A quiet, unobtrustive exhibition of football as it should be played characterrised the friendly encounter between Everton and the famous Corinthians at Goodison Park, where the Champions snatched a rather fortunate victory by two goals to one with the last kick of the match. The Champions did not over-exert themselves until the final stages, but at no time did they exhibit such deliciously deficate football as the amateurs, who were without some of their most accomplished players. It was typical of the men of Corinth that they put their best feet forward all the time, but they did not once go out-side the borders of pure football, and while every carefully-planned scheme did not carry through to be successful end, the intention and the method was there.


Except for isolated occasions, never a pass was placed more than a foot above the ground, and the manner in which they exploited the short-passing game on a really treacherous ground was astonishing. All the good football did not come from the losers, it is true, but the Evertonians could not juggle with the ball, pass as accurately, and keep such good position as the amateurs. The Corinthians played exhibition football to perfection, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. They slipped the ball forward to a position they knew someone would take-up, and so there was a smoothness about their machine, which was missing from that of the Blues. When it came to the matter of finishing they had to take second place to the Champions, who might have scored several goals had it been for the brilliance of Howard Baker, who affected some remarkable saves, though luck was with him on more than one occasion. It was judgement, however, that enabled him to negotiate shots from Troup and Critchley in particular. The game was marred by only two fouls. These were quite accidental, and, were given against the amateurs. This demonstrates the excellent feeling, which prevailed. The 35 th minute of the game saw two goals scored, one from each side. Issac, who was suffering from an ankle injury, received early on, raced away from Knight's pass to middle low for Phillips to side-tap the ball into the Everton goal, but from the kick-off Critchley showed the opposition a clean pair of heels and his centre was rammed home by Martin.


In the dying minutes of the game, Bower handled in the penalty area, but Martin shot wide of the post from the penalty kick . Easton however, snatched the victory by levelling a winning low shot to the far corner off Troup's pass with the final kick of the encounter. The match provided a welcome diversion from the worries of competition football, and was productive of much more true football. Teams: - Everton: - Hardy, goal, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Griffiths and Hart (captain), half-backs, Critchley, Easton, White, Martin and Troup, forwards. Corinthians: - B. Howard Baker, goal, D. Lomas and B.S. Boser, backs, H.J. Moore, J. G. Knight, C. E. Glenaster, half-backs, R. W. V. Robins, A. Phillips, C. T. Ashton, A. G. Doggart, and A. H. Isaac, forwards.


Yorkshire Post-Monday 4 March 1929

Everton Win with Last Kick of Game.

At Goodison Park close on 10,000 spectators saw a good game between Everton and the Corinthians end in victory for Everton 2 goals to 1. It was unfortunate for the Corinthians that ten minutes after the start Isaac left the field owing to damaged leg. The Corinthians pressed the start and Phillips netted the ball, but from offside position. Howard Baker did well to save a shot at long range by Martin. The Corinthians gave a fine exhibited good football and Phillips gave them the lead. Before half-time Martin equalised. In the second half the Corinthias gave a fine exposition of fast and clever football, and were unfortunate when O'Donnell headed the ball from off the goal line. The game' was nearly over and looked likely to end in a draw, when with the last kick of the match Easton scored to give Everton the hard-fought victory.



Yorkshire Post-Monday 4 March 1929

Playing smart football on a frost-bound ground, Leeds United Reserves defeated Everton Elland Road by clear goals. Jennings led the home front line and accompiished all tho scoring. The Scot was in one his best moods, his first goal being product of quick thinking and action. Tho game was notaable for tho introduction of Longden to the centre half back position, for his display was such that great things may be anticipated from him in the near future. Everton were strongly represented, especially forward. The first goal was scored after thirteen minutes' play, Jennings' successful effort being a very smart one. A lengthy scoreless period followed, during which both elevens did well under a ground handicap. Ten minutes before the interval Jennings scored again, this time from, the “spot,” while five minutes after the interval he completed tho hat trick,”


March 4 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton lost at Leeds on Saturday, and Jennings performing the “Hat-trick” and Leeds should off scored on many occasions.

Everton: - Sagar, goal, Kennedy and Rooney, backs, Kell, Dixon, and Lewis, half-backs, Ritchie, Forshaw, Attwwod, Weldon and Stein, forwards.



March 5 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

A sensation was caused in football circles yesterday by the exclusion of W.R. Dean, of Everton, from either of the English trial teams. The opinion has been held for some time that Dean, like another famous forward since retired (Buchan), is only supreme in club matches. In seven “full” internationals he has scored five goals, gaining two each in two games. He certainly has shown some decline in these important fixtures as compared with his performance in other representative matches and in League games.



As all the world knows now, Dean broke all English records with an aggregate of 60 goals for 39 League matches last season. He secured the record of top scorer in the First Division of the League when he scored his 44 th goal at Goodison Park last season, passing the 43 rd scored by Harper of Blackburn Rovers. Goals scored by Dean in club and representative games last season included the following 95: -

League games………………….. 60

F.A. Cup…………………………...3


Blackpool (Hospital Cup)……….5

Continental Tour of English F.A…9

Fleetwood Disaster match………4

F.A. Trial at West Bromwich……3

F.A. Trial at Middlesbrough……5



Dean's goals in First Division football up to the end of last season are as follows: -

Matches. Goals.

1924-25 7 2

1925-26 38 32

1926-27 27 21

1927-28 60 39


The Principe representative matches in which Dean has played for England eleven's in the past few years are as follows. The number of goals he scored in the matches being in parentheses: - England v Wales (2), at Wrexham, 1927; England v Scotland (2), at Glasgow, 1927; England v Ireland at Belfast, 1927; England v Wales, at Burnley, 1927; England v. Scotland, at Wembley, 1928; England v. Ireland (1) at Goodison park, Oct 1928; England v. Wales, Nov, 1928; England v Belgium (3), 1927; England v. France (2) 1927; England v. Luxembourg (3), 1927; England v. France (2), 1928. England V. Belgium (2) 1928; Football league v. Scottish League (2), 1928; Football League v. Irish League (4), 1927; England v The Rest (4), Jan 1927; England V. Rest (3) Jan, 1928; England v. Rest (5), Fen, 1928.


Billy Dean is the son of a Birkenhead railway worker, and is the only boy of a family of seven. He played first for his Birkenhead school team then for Pensby United, them Hoylake United, and afterwards for a number of small clubs in the West Cheshire area. Then came the time when he went to Tranmere Rovers on trial. It could be seen as he developed that he was a natural footballer, and by 1925, when he was only 18, he was the most sought-after player in the country. At least 20 first class clubs wanted him and were willing to pay £3,000 for him. Dean continued to develop and rose from the Third Division standard to the ideal First Division type. Dean started to play for Everton, who paid £3,000 for him, on the Arsenal ground in March 1925.


He met with a motor-cycle accident in June, 1926, cracking the back of his skull and fracturing bow jaw bones. He was not expected to live six hours. Tranmere Rovers' secretary (Mr. Cook) sat by his bed all night and said, “I never though he would see the morning light.” For months Dean wore silver plates in his head and was in hospital at Holywell and West Derby Doctor said; “This man will never be able to play football again.” Dean's healthy conditions –he is a teetotaler and non-smoker –his youth and determination, carried him through this ordeal. He returned to the Everton team again in October, taking his trial trip at Huddersfield on a day of bad weather. Dean; s career was in the balance on this gloomy day. Would he crack up in this vital trial, people asked. Hundreds of supporters made the journey to see, and when the ball came near his head for the first time the officials of the club held their breath. Dean headed the ball. There was a moment of silence and then a roar of applause as the ball went where Dean had intended it to go. “Dixie” was himself again.



March 6 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

Everton have signed Thomas Tadmore, a young player from the Sutton Manor District. He is a right half-back, and has been playing for Farnsworth (Widnes).

Palace 1922

Bucks Herald -Friday 8 March 1929

Perhaps even more remarkable, in its way, was the triumph of the Crystal Palace team at Everton in 1922. That was the year when my own Club, Birmingham, were responsible for nine-day wonder of their own, because they failed to apply for admission to the Cup competition and were left out. The Palace side—then playing the Second League went to Everton- Everybody said it was an easy thing for the Toffees. But the Palace won by six goals to nothing. There is a good story told of that match which may or may not be true, but which is certainly good enough to be repeated. Everton had a very expensive team; one which had cost a lot of money in transfer fees. After the match was over, and the spectators were wending their way from Goodison Park, they were greeted by one of the vendors of postcard photographs. And this, according to the story, is the manner in which he tried to dispose of his wares. Here you are, gentlemen. The whole of the Everton team on one postcard This morning the team was worth twenty thousand pounds. You can now have it for twopence.”



March 9 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

The Goodison Bellows have recovered their voices and have shaken off the strange languidness of recent weeks. The reason for this is a strong one. Dean returns so all is well again, and the International will be congratulated on his recovery from injury. There will, however, be much for him to do when Everton takes the field at Leeds. The United are after a “double” having beaten the champions at Goodison Park by the only goal, and if the local men are not on their toes Leeds might succeed in their endeavour. This is a possibility –the selection of the Leeds team was deferred –that two Harts will be in the field, but not of the kind to make a cocktail of the poet's words that “ Hart with a single though” The international pivot of Leeds will test Dean to the utmost, while the Everton Hunter Hart might do likewise with the opposing centre-forward, and thereby hang a tale. Leeds may transfer their crack goal scorer Jennings. That would be result of Keetley, having made good as leader of the attack. Davies, returns to the Everton team, while White moves to inside-right, Martin dropping out. Following are the teams: - Kick-off, being at 3'0. Teams; Everton; Davies; Common and O'Donnell; Kelly, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, White, Dean, Easton; Troup. Leeds (Probable); Potts, Townsley, Menzie; Edwards, Hart (or Gribbons) Reid; Turnbull, Armand, Keetley, Wainscott, Mitchell.



March 11 th 1929. The Daily Courier.







Everton, whose revival was expected to be sustained, had a set back at Ellkand Road, Leeds, on Saturday when the United gave their best display of the season to register a well-deserved victory by three goals to one. They incidentally, completed the double event at the expense of the Champions. The United surprised even their own supporters by their dazzling play, carried up with wonderful speed on a ground which did not give a good foothold. As tacticians they were no better than the Blues, but they had the happy knack of making a determined fight for each and every ball, and utilising it on the shortest possible time. Their were weakness in the Everton side but none in the United ranks, and the various departments in the winning side dovetailed better than those of the loser. While Leeds were always the nippier and more dangerous side, they could claim very little superiority in the matter of field play up to the interval; in fact until the latter portion was embarked on one expected the Blues to annex a point a least. After the interval, however, the Evertonians did not operate with the same methods; they had not the same enterprise and mistakes were made in the defence, which only contributed to the Leeds monopoly.


The Leeds of this game would have beaten almost any team in the League. One hoped that the reappearance of Dean would have made all the difference in the Everton attack, but while the three inside forwards often combined with refreshing skill and understanding they lacked the punch which characterised the work of the opposing forwards. True, Dean was the first man to score, and it was with a shot typical of him. He got away from Troup's pass from what appeared to be an off-side position, and he whipped the ball into the far corner of the net as Potts advanced. This success was not long lived, however, for the craft of Wainscott sent Keetley clean between Common and O'Donnell and as Davies left goal to smoother his shot he rammed the ball into the back of the net. In the second half Keetley proceeded to complete the “hat-trick” but he might have scored two more without any additional effort. His second was a pretty header off Mitchell's centre, placing the ball just where Davies was not, and then he swung round to a fast centre from the same winger to almost rip the riggings. Chief credit for those two goals must go to Mitchell, also out-tripped the defence by excellent ball control finishing and speed. In the first half the combination of the Blues was quite good, even though they did not enjoy so much of the play as the United. All tried hard to get Dean away, but he was watched too well by Ernest Hart, and good, workable passes would not reach him. The halves too gave the attackers plenty of support, but later on this was missing to a marked degree.


Then the good understanding was gone, and Kelly and Common in particular simply could not hold the clever Wainscot-Mitchell wing. Leeds knew this, and exploited the pair all they knews, so that the home side were invariably holding the upper hand. The two best men on the Everton side were Griffiths and Davies. The match was checkful of exciting occurrences and should gave contained one penalty. This was when Troup had his heel trapped by Townsley when he was about to put the finishing touch to a centred the field run. The referee, however, turned down the confident claims. Teams: - Leeds United: - Potts, goal, Townsley and Menzies, backs, Edwards, Hart and Reed, half-backs, Turnbull, White Keetley, Wainscott, Mitchell, forwards. Everton: - Davies, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Griffiths and Hart (captain, half-backs, Critchley, White, Dean, Easton, and Troup, forwards.



March 11 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


Sagar, a custodian on trial from the Donastle district, made a fine impression on his first appearance in the Everton colour. Attwood, the new centre also, showed up well from the few goals to increase the lead gained by Everton by Weldon in the first half. In the last few seconds Newton netted for Stockport County, who played throughout the second session without Allport, although the game was not lacking in the finer points,, some over vigorous tackling tended to spoil play at times. Kell was a conspiouous half, and Ritchie and Stein good wingers . Everton: - Sagar, goal, Kennedy and Rooney, backs, Kell, Dixon and Lewis, half-backs, Ritchie, Forshaw, Attwood, Weldon and Stein, forwards.


Hartlepool Mail-Wednesday 13 March 1929

Bradford City have secured signature C. Gordon Menham, the brilliant Northern Nomads' goalkeeper. who is not withoutt first-class experience. In the season 1925-26 he asisted Everton. He is a very safe 'keeper, who should turn out to valuable acquisition to the Bradford club


March 16 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

I expect Everton to beat Burnley today, because the Turf-Moor team have been regularly on the losing side, where away games are concerned since the middle of December. Dean will not be playing for the home team, so while White takes his place. The kick-off is at 3-15, and the teams are; Everton; Davies; Common, O'Donnell; Kelly, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, Easton, White, White, Martin, Troup. Burnley: - Down; McCluggann, Heap; Steel, Brown, Storer; Burton, Stage, Beel, (or Mantle), Devine, Page.


EVERTON 2 BURNLEY 0 (Game 1299)

March 18 th 1929. The Daily Courier.




Everton returned to winning form on Saturday at Goodison Park, when they defeated Burnley by two clear goals in the poorest game seen at the ground this season. It is rather singular that the two most uninteresting matches the Champions have participated in this season have been against the Turf Moor brigade, and in each instance the result has been two-nil in favour of the home team. For the most part this game was scrappy in the extreme, with only occasional bursts, or interludes, of anything approaching entertaining football, but it must be admitted that Everton were the more deserving of the spoils. Burnley possessed the trickiest player in Devine, who all through contributed ingenious football, but they rarely brought any serious pressure to bear on Davies, whereas Down had many an awkward situation to deal with. Everton had the pull all round, for while they, perhaps, did not attempt to be as dainty as the Burnley men they got into operations quicker, and their forwards did try hard to get to get together as a line.


White, who again led the home attack in place of Dean, had the satisfaction of scoring both goals, and while many averred that he was off-side when he obtained the first he was certainly in a legitimate position when the ball was last played. Troup, it was who middled a ball, and before the centre dropped White had raced forward to gather, and he lobbed it into the net over Down's head. He was a yard outside when Troup made his cross. That came after fourteen minutes, and White scored the second at the end of the hour, when Martin and Troup cut out the opening. This pair interpassed delicately, and finally Martin delivered a long pass towards the dead line, Troup overtook it and fired in a centre which White turned into the net via Down's body. Griffiths was once again the outstanding personality, and on his present form there can be few better pivots in the game today. One movement alone, when he outwitted three opponents within inches of the touch-line, was brilliant; but he always seemed to be just where he was wanted, his long legs upsetting many attacks before they had developed properly.


O'Donnell was the other to shine, because he made his endeavours of the clear-cut variety, stepping in first time to baulk efforts by Bruton and Stage and utilising the ball with discretion. Common and Kelly showed improvement on their Leeds form. Hart played a solid inconspicuous game, with beautiful low-feeding his chief attribute, and, of the forwards Troup and White were outstanding. It was a match in which the result was the main and only gratifying feature, and it was reflected the run of the play truly. Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Griffiths, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Critchley, Easton, White, Martin and Troup, forwards. Burnley: - Down, goal, McCluggage, and Heap, backs, Steel, Brown, and Storer, half-backs, Bruton, Stage, Beel, Devine, and Page forwards.



March 18 th 1929. The Daily Courier


Manchester United's victory was well deserved their forwards showing to great advantage, and had it not been for the splendid defensive work of Cresswell and Sagar Everton would have suffered a heavier reverse. Attwood, the visitor's centre found Taylor a stumbling block, and the most promising movements of Everton came from their right wing pair, Ritchie and Dunn. Manchester United defence was very sound throughout, Sweeney headed the first goal for United before the interval and in the second half Rawlings and Thomson added goals for the home side. Everton: - Sagar, goal, Cresswell and Kennedy, backs, Rooney, Dixon, Lewis, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Attwood, Jones, and Stein, forwards.



March 21 st 1929. The Daily Courier


Tranmere Rovers gained a surprise victory in the semi-final of the Liverpool Senior Cup at Goodison Park yesterday, defeating Everton after being a goal behind near the end. All five goals were second in the second half, and there were few exciting moments until near the close. The thousand spectators were rarely thrilled, and enjoyed the policing of Dean, by the youthful Jackson more than anything else. It stands to the credit of Jackson that he did not give the England leader much opportunity to display his capabilities and except for snatches of something out of the ordinary and a goal Dean accomplished little. Tranmere were superior at half-back, for both Lewis and Bamber, on the wings tackled with zest and always used the ball to advantage. It was a wonder that the Rovers' forwards did not do better with such nice basic material. Everton had nothing over the Rovers in defence, either for Naylor and Thirkwell, though ragged, were seldom beaten for possession and kicked strongly all through. The Blues claimed an advantage forward because they combined better. A lot of the inter-passing between the visiting five went astray after the men had displayed good ideas. Meston and Attwood were the pick of the home forwards, the former play being dainty and effective. Attwood shot hard and well when occasion demanded. Jones opened up splendidly, but faded out of the picture later.


The Rovers were the first to score, Littlehale's dashing in to send home a centre from Urmson with his body, but a few minutes Everton were level, Jackson placing a corner from Meston into his own goal. Attwood opened up the way for Dean to glide the ball past Briggs, and then Beswick, the amateur equalised with the most spectacular goal of the game. Bamber swung the ball towards goal, and just as one thought it was flying wide Beswick threw himself out full length and headed into the net. Jones, who had previously squandered several good chances ran through on his own to notch the winning point. Teams : - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell and Kennedy, backs, Rooney, Dixon, and Lewis, half-backs, Meston Attwood, Dean, Jones, and Ritchie, forwards. Tranmere Rovers: - Briggs, goal, Naylor, and Thirkwell, backs, Bamber, Jackson and Lewis, half-backs, Jones Charlton, Beswick, Littlehales and Urmson, forwards.



Hartlepool Mail-Friday 22 March 1929

E. Sagar, a young goalkeeper from Thorne Collierv F.C., near Doncaster, was yesterday signed by Everton as a professional. Sagar, who has had two trials with the Central league team, is 19 years of age, and stand- 5ft. 10in and weighs list. 11st 4lb.



March 23 rd 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton undertake a League expedition to Cardiff when the spreading shadows of relegation looms menacingly in their distress Cradiff as is the case with so many other teams, can knock the shine off the most polished sides, as witness their performance. The Goodison Park side, without Dean may not have the inspiration to rise to the serious occasion and Cardiff may obtain revenge for the beating in the first game, last November. The kick off is at 3-15; and the teams are: - Everton; Davies; Common and O'Donnell; Kelly, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, Easton, White, Martin, Troup. Cardiff City; Farquharson; Jennings, Roberts, Wake, Keener, Blackburn; Thirlaway, Harris, Munro, Davies (L), Warren.



March 25 TH 1929. The Daily Courier.




Everton, playing well, and utilising every chance, put an nail in the Cardiff's coffin at Ninian Park, where the same old story could be said about the home team's weakness. This is the Champions' third “double” of the campaign, and the valuable points secured places them in a position safe from all matters. This in itself is a great comfort to the management who must fell that there means by keeping a winning team together was wholly justified. The team showed splendid exhibition of cool, methodical football, and the only wonder was why they did not obtain more goals. Cardiff were determined and full of fight, but they lacked the means in attack which means goals. It is true that Len Davies played some good football and was virtually the leader, but Munro was very weak. Everton obtained their goals by snapping up chances eagerly, the first was scored after 11 minutes, when Easton turned a centre from Troup into the net, and in the last minute White placed beyond the reach of Farquaharson, close in. Everton were strong, particularly the half-backs. The City were the first to attack, a weak tackle by Kelly letting Len Davies through, Davies saving on the goal line. Munro next had a chance to test Davies, but Len Davies got right in the way of his shot. Everton participated in some neat methodical passing, and White shot outside from the edge of the penalty area. There was little life about the proceedings. It was drawing-room football. Everton attacked in more methodical style, their passing being well directed, and White was always ready for the burst between the backs, Munro beat Common in a heading bout, only to drive straight at Davies. Everton returned to the attack after scoring their first goal, and White shot over from an awkward position. The City strove hard to get going, and succeeded when Munro and Harris broke clear, but O'Donnell saved the situation. O'Donnell came to the rescue again a few seconds later, robbing Matson when the winger had got into a dangerous position. White got through from a pass by Martin, only to strike the upright. Cardiff all but equalised when Davies kicked the ball out to Harris, but his shot skimmed the crossbar.


Everton, by good football, maintained their superiority, but the game had become so quick that it bordered on the uncanny. White was injured and had to go to the touchline. During his absence Munro ran clear and drove just wide of the post. Davies, and Munro had an argument over the taking of goalkicks, and the home forwards backed up their leader by storming tactics, but Davies and Co, Stood steady. Common's nose was bleeding when the teams retired, this being due to his getting in the way of a fast one from Warren. Everton maintained their first half superiority after the interval, and Martin had a couple of likely shots charged down. Critchley dropped over a lovely centre, which the inside man allowed to run to farquharson. The crowd expected something when Matson placed a perfect corner, but Davies fielded like a cricketer. This was the beginning of a City revival. Cardiff should have equalised from another opening. Matson had the hardest of luck, just skimming the bar with a fine shot. Everton were then packing their goal in rare style against the quick-moving Citzens, and they were doing it well.


The Champions have not given such a workman like exhibition for many weeks, this being partly due to the willingness and honesty of purpose of the eleven. They were all in sympathy with one another, and their victory is an excellent example of the value of team sit. Had they not thought so much of defence in the second half one feels that they would have won by three or four goals. When they forced the pace City were never in it. Cardiff should have obtained goals during this half, but their finishing efforts were positively indicrous. Anything said to the detriment of the Blues would be unjustified. The defence was as solid as the proverbial brick wall, with O'Donnell the most prominent he had a grand partner in Common, who is improving with every game. The half-backs were the chief schemers, who formulated the moves, and they did it well. Kelly worked very hard, and saved many a situation by his quick incline intervention, and Hart was a master purveyor of a pass. Griffiths concentrated more on the defence them usually, and here he made not a mistake. It would be unfair to particularize among the forwards, because they all did well and played for the team not self. Teams : - Cardiff City: - Farquharson, goal, Jenning and Roberts, backs, Moss, Kennor, and Blackburn, half-backs, Maston, Harris, Munro, Davies, Warren, forwards. Everton: - Davies, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Griffiths, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Critchley, Eatson, White, Martin, and Troup, forwards.



April 25 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


The Villa served up the sparkling football at Villa Park , and fully merited their decisive victory. Everton had the share of the initial game, but many attackers came to nothing. Villa were awarded a penalty kick, Houghton took the kick and scored from the rebound after Sagar saved magnificently. Turnbull and Tully scored for the Villa.



March 27 th 1929. The Daily Courier.



Dean, Everton famous International Centre-forward is included in the Resevrss team to meet Blackpool at Goodison Park on Friday.


The Everton team to meet Sunderland at Sunderland on Good Friday will be the same eleven who beat Cardiff on Saturday last; Davies; Common, O'Donnell; Kelly, Griffiths, Hart; Critchley, Easton, White, Martin, Troup. The same team will also play at Goodison park against Derby County on Tuesday. Everton have arranged to play a friendly with Motherwell (Scottish League Division One) at Goodison park on Monday (Kick off 3-15), and the team well be: - Sagar; Cresswell, Kennedy; Rooney, Forshaw, Lewis; Meston, Dunn, Dean Ritchie, Stein. The Everton Reserves team against Blackpool at Goodison Park on Friday will be Sagar; Cresswell, Kennedy; Rooney, Dixon, Lewis; Meston, Dunn, Dean, Ritchie, Stein. There will be changes in the attack in the Everton Reserves team against Wolverhampton at Wolverhampton on Saturday. Sagar; Cresswell, Kennedy; Rooney, Dixon, Lewis; Meston, Webster, Attwood, Jones, Stein.



March 30 th 1929. The Daily Courier.






Everton were deprived of victory over Sunderland at Roker Park by a goal that was so offside that the crowd of 40,000 roared in surprise when the referee signalled a good point. Halliday was the scorer, but he so fairly revealed his offside position that he only gave the ball a parting kick into the net for the fun of the thing. Davies was equally certain of the offside position of his opponent, and made no attempt to intercepted. Five minutes earlier Halliday had netted legitimately, and in so doing registered his 300 th goal in first class football. It was a fast and delightful game throughout, and right from that start Everton shaped like easy winners. They were two goals to the good before Halliday opened Sunderland's account and played with machine-like precision. Easton scored after 11 minutes from a pass by White, and five minutes later Martin netted a second goal after clever maneuvering by Hart.


White led his line with commentate dash, his distribution to the wingmen being particularly fine. Troup was the live wire of the Everton attack, and made short work of the opposition of Clunas, who was beaten in every encounter between the part. The Everton halves were as effective in attack as they were in defence, the pivotal work of Griffiths being great. He never relaxed his grip on the redoubtable Halliday, who was further handicapped by indifferent support from his wings. Wright was his most virile partner, but his lack of judgement at critical moments nullified all the enthusiasm he displayed. Common and O'Donnell put up a stonewall type of defence that neither of the Sunderland wings could overcome. Davies, as a consequence, rarely came into action, but excepting the mistake in not stopping Halliday's offside shot he made no serious blunders. The first goal that did get past him from the Wearside leader was of the nonstop type, and scored while the Sunderland sharpshooters was on the run. Everton's positional play confounded their rivals in every section of the field, and it was only the first-time tackling in England that barred them from piling up a large score. McInroy in the Sunderland goal ferred badly when allowed Martin's shot to slip past him. Teams: - Sunderland: - McInroy, goal, Murray and England backs, Clunas, Allan, and Andrews, half-backs, Robinson, McKay, Halliday, Wright and McLean forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Griffiths, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Critchley, Easton, White, Martin, and Troup. forwards.


Yorkshire Post-Saturday 30 March

Sunderland and Everton drew their encounter. each side scoring two goals at Sunderland before 38,000 spectators. Combining neatly Everton scored two fine goals through Easton and Martin before Halliday' equalised, his second goal coming when the Everton defenders thought him offside. Play was not so good the second half. Sunderland attacked more often, but their finishing was poor, and neither goalkeeper was seriously troubled, the backs giving them good cover.


March 30 th 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Everton strengthened by the inclusion of Dean, Dunn, Ritchie, and Cresswell, accomplished an easy performance's in defeating Blackpool, but the visitors deserved a warm praise for the determined manner, which they fought in the second half when faced with a four-goal deficit. During this period they harassed the home defence, and Blackpool's Ritchie hit the upright, and Oxberry hit the crossbar, whilst Sagar made a number if fine saves. Cresswell's and Kennedy's fine defensive work was to much for a virile attack, while Dean by judicious hardwork and, distributive play, pared the way to a goal-although Meston was a really fine solo effort. The Blackpool keeper made a brilliant save from Dunn. The scores were, Dean, Ritchie, Dean and Meston. Taylor, Oxberry, and Robinson were prominent for Blackpool. Everton: - Sagar, goal, Cresswell and Kennedy, backs, Rooney, Dixon and Lewis, half-backs, Meston, Dunn, Dean, Ritchie and Stein, forwards.



March 1929