Everton Independent Research Data



March 2 1934, Evening Express.

Internationals & Juniors Cap in List of Eight.

By the Pilot.

Everton are prepared to consider offers for eight players who cost the club more than £20,000 .

There are;

1 Tommy Johnson, inside left 5 Ted Critchley, Outside right

2 Jimmy Dunn, Inside Right 6 Johnny McGiourty, inside forward

3 William Bocking full Back 7 Archer Clark, half-back

4 Williams Coggins, Goalkeeper. 8 George Turner, outside left

All across the kingdom have been notified of Everton's prepared to do business if offers are satisfactory, but does not mean that any of the players named will not be signed for Everton should no transfer be effected. Mr. Cuff didn't confirm nor deny that any of the players named are on the private list sent out.” Mr. Cuff regretted that the names of the players in the list had been divulged. He added; “Unless there is confidence in football matters, the sport cannot go on. The effect of any club divulging the names of players will eventually stop clubs sending out lists altogether.” Everton will be out to secure revenge for their F.A. Cup defeat when they visit White Hart-Lane tomorrow to oppose Tottenham Hotspur. In January the Spurs knocked the Blues out of the Cup by 3-0 on the same ground. That is not the only score the Blues are out to balance, for they have memories of the Spurs' visit to Goodison Park when the Londoners secured a point. Everton have not been defeated on a South of England League journey this season, having drawn at Portsmouth and won at Arsenal. Everton; Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Higham, Stein. Tottenham Hotspur; Nicholl; Channell, Whatley; Evans (T.), Rowe, Alsford; McCormick, O'Callaghan, Hunt, Hall, Evans (W.).

•  Advertisement in Evening Express. Central league Match at Goodison Park Tomorrow (Saturday). Everton v. Oldham Athletic. Kick-off 3.15. Admission 6d, Boys 3d, 9d including tax.



March 3, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

The Liverpool Football Club, secure the signing of T. Johnson of Everton, the international inside-left and he will make his debut appearance for his new club in the match against Middlesbrough at Anfield to-day, Johnson one of the eight players who Everton are reported to be prepared to receive offers, has been one of the best inside forwards in the league football. He was signed on by Everton in March 5, 1930, from Manchester City, for which club he once scored five goals out of six in a match at Goodison Park. He was then at centre-forward. Everton were said to have paid the city club £6,000 for Johnson, who had rendered the Goodison Club, splendid service, both at centre-forward and inside-left. He played against Liverpool last month as leader of the attack, but his best position is at inside left, and here he should greatly strengthen the Liverpool attack. He stands 5ft 9 and three-quarters inches, weights 10 stone. Johnson has played in nineteen league matches for Everton this season.

Disturbed Over Confidential

The Everton club are disturbed that information given by them in circular matters, regarded as private and confidential, between clubs, should have been made public property. Mr W.C Cuff, the chairman, in an interview said: - unless there is confidence in football, matters the sport cannot go on. The effects of any club divulging the names of players will eventually stop clubs sending out lists altogether. Everton have circularized the clubs intimating that they were prepare to receive offers for the following players (in addition to Johnson), Dunn, Critchley, Bocking, Clark, McGourty, Turner, Coggins.



March 3 1934. Evening Express, Football Edition.

Hunt's Two Goals for the ‘Spurs.

Chances Missed.

By the Pilot.

The following telegram was sent by the Everton players to Tommy Johnson at Anfield today; wishing him good luck on his opening match with Liverpool; “All the best, ‘Tosh.' Hope you turn their luck –From Dixie and the boys.” Everton were at the scene of the F.A. Cup defeat trying to get some measure of revenge from Tottenham Hotspur. Teams: - Tottenham Hotspur: - Nicholls, goal; Channell, and Whatley, backs; Evans (T.), Rowe (captain), and Alsford, half-backs; McCormick, O'Callagan, Hunt, Hall, Evans (W.), forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Higham, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. F. Smith (Walsall). Everton opened against the sun after Dean had received a special bout of handicapping, and Higham and Geldard contributed solo runs without bringing grist to the mill. Then a thrill in the Spurs' goalmouth. Dean drew Rowe, and slipped through a lovely pass for Higham. Nichol came out to narrow the angle, then dived out to “kill” the shot. Little or nothing was seen of the ‘Spurs' and Dean took a shot on the turn –rather hastily, I though, and the ball swept past the post. Britton broke through to Geldard's position, and his centre was edged over by Dean for Stein to come in with a hurricane drive, which flashed barely inches over the top. It was a mighty effort. Hunt made a neat dribble, rounding Gee cleverly, only to touch the ball against the side netting. Next Alsford slipped the ball through for Hunt to shoot at point blank range, Sagar pulling the ball down with two hands.

Dean's Headwork.

Twice Nicholls had to punch away from the head of Dean, but he was lucky to save Dixie's adroit back, header from Thomson's free kick. Dean turned the ball towards the far corner in marvellous fashion. The ‘Spurs took the lead, all against the run of the play, in 15 minutes, thorough Hunt. Hunt broke through on his own after a swerve past Cook, and his quick, low shot was turned aside by Sagar. The ball ran to O'Callaghan, who made a sharp return to the goalmouth. Britton was there with a willing kick, but the ball flew back across the goal to rebound from the far post. Hunt was right there to push the ball home, with Sagar striving hard to get back to position. Hunt was off for a spell after collision with Cook. Then Thomson, in clearing, turned the ball over his own goal. Dean and Cunliffe had headers go wide before Higham nipped through for Stein's pass, but with only Nicholls to beat, he sent straight at the goalkeeper, Everton forced a corner, and for the second time Dean leapt through the air to Stein's cross and headed against the bar. Everton might easily have conceded a goal when Britton delayed his clearance kick, and Willie Evans nearly got through. The pace slackened off, but there was some hefty tackling. Sagar, went full length to evade a fast drive from Hunt, and was in position to field a surprise shot from Willie Evans. Dean had a good chance from a low centre from Stein, only to try to pass the opening to Higham, giving Clennall the chance to intervene. Geldard was seen to advantage with good runs and centres. The Spurs' forward work was exceptionally good the inside trio being hard to dispossess when on the ball. Everton had a corner then were denied one they should have had following a great run by Cunliffe. Nicholls was taking charge of centres in the home goalmouth, and now pulled the ball down off Dean's head. Cunliffe headed in from a free kick , Nicholls kicking the ball down with remarkable coolness and ease.

Half-time Tottenham H. 1 Everton 0.

There had been little to choose between he sides in the first half, but if Everton had not taken chances they had enjoyed more of the game. Hunt sent in a mightily low drive, which Sagar gathered in cleverly. Willie Evans had a chance, yet sent his point-blank shot over. In 53 minutes Hunt increased the lead. The attack developed on the left after the Spurs had been pulled up for offence, and a lob centre was dropped over the goalmouth. Hunt had no easy matter in getting the ball to his liking although he was standing out well on his own, but he pulled it down and sent it into the top far corner of the net, Sagar having no chance. Everton fought back gamely, Higham testing Nicholls. Nicholls once pulled the ball in from underneath the bat. Stein followed up enterprising to cause Nicholls trouble, then Hunt surprised Williams and dashed through to force Sagar to turn aside a hot shot. Offside robbed Hunt of his hat-trick, and Nicholls had to turn a swerving Stein centre over the bar. O'Callaghan looked to be a scorer until Williams dashed in and turned his shot aside. Fifteen minutes from the end the ‘Spurs' still held their two goals lead.



March 3 1934. Evening Express, Football Edition.

Everton included Kavanagh and Bentham from Wigan Athletic against Oldham and also played White at centre-half. The Blues attack was decidedly lively and Hacking cleared good efforts from Bentham and Redfern. Oldham were dangerous near goal and a beautiful centre from the right wing to Grice went just wide. When Jones went forward Coulter gained possession and passed across the goal, only for Stevenson to blaze high over the bar. A well placed corner kick by Howarth led to Pateman heading a neat goal to give Oldham the lead. Just on the interval Coulter levelled the scores, his drive going into the net off the post. Half-time Everton Res 1, Olham Ath Res 1.

Shortly after resuming Coulter placed Everton ahead but the Athletic drew level, White turning the ball into his own goal. Stevenson scored a third for Everton. Pateman again levelled the scores, but Stevenson scored a fourth for Everton. Final –Everton Res 4, Oldham Res 3.



March 3, 1934. Liverpool Football Echo

Everton Give Improved Display.

By Bee.

Teams: - Tottenham Hotspur: - Nicholls, goal; Channell, and Whatley, backs; Evans (T.), Rowe (captain), and Alsford, half-backs; McCormick, O'Callagan, Hunt, Hall, Evans (W.), forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Higham, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. F. Smith (Walsall).

A 3.30 kick off and a light ball on a dry ground. When Dean went up to toss the coin the crowd give him a cordial reception and the referee and Rowe held a conference for a few minutes. Spurs kicked off and at once showed too close a method, so that the ball came out to Higham whose natural swerve carried him through. Geldard also went up with a fine flourish and outpaced the defence, but half stumbled when centring so that he had to poke the ball forward, and it was natural the ball should pass outside. Spur first attack came through Hunt who found Cook a hard master. From this more the ball went ahead and Dean with great coolness held the ball and made a through pass towards Higham who dashed though and was all set for a goal. Higham had to take his shot a trifle too quickly, and the ball he delivered had some pace, but merely struck the massive body of Nicholl –a let off. Everton continued to attack prettily and the whole line joined in an attack in which Geldard used his head and Cunliffe made a sensible lob. The outcome was a shot by Dean –just outside. Better followed, for Britton made his famous Wembley Final the cross towards goal. Dean and a back tried to head the ball, which travelled on, and Stein racing in took a chance drive and a chance of injury the ball skimming the crossbar –a splendid piece of football work from end to end. McCormick relieved matters with a dash down the middle and pass towards Hunt who was well covered. O'Callagan eventually made a flash shot fifty yards too high –a wild effort.

A Curious Goal.

In fifteen minutes, a goal to Spurs. A curious goal, O'Callagham shot hard, and Sagar did well to stay the ball from the net. It travelled on three yards and Sagar ran after it, hoping to catch up to it. He could not do so, and the ball was put to the middle of goal, where Britton trying to kick clear, nearly put the ball into his own goal –it seemed to strike the woodwork, and rebound to Hunt, who scored with ease. Soon afterwards, Hunt was injured about the face in a collision with Cook and had to leave the field for a time. Am attack from ‘Spurs left wing led to Thomson hooking the ball for safety and getting it at the wrong angle the ball nearly going into his own goal. The corner arising cost nothing, and there followed a shot of welcome back to Hunt, who still held his head as if half stunned. Everton had played so well they had no right to be down a goal, except that the ball in the net is the registering mark. They resumed prettily by reason of the fine cohesive work of Britton, Cunliffe, and Geldard, but the pace of the ball beat the idea and Gee had to out in some really strokes to ensure the Spurs being kept in subjection. Cunliffe fed Geldard with supreme sense and the winger's centre was taken by Dean, who must have slipped as he rarely heads up a ball –he flicks it. This time he half fell, and the ball passed outside. Higham had a quiet spell, and now got a capital pass from Stein.

Dean Unlucky.

He closed in, and shot at Nicholl. The corner, taken by Geldard, led to Dean outpointing all the people who leaped to the ball. It seemed a sure goal, when the crack of the ball against the crossbar showed Dean had been unlucky. Ben Williams went into Hunt, but missed the ball. The crowd roared and afterwards Gee took a charge on O'Callghan right under the referee's nose so that a free kick was bound to arise. Alsford stopped Stein when the latter went to make a third dribble, two having been successful. Britton kicked away gingerly through the sun casting its rays across his goal angle. The defence was in a knot at this moment so that any sort of clearance was valuable. The referee came in for a storm of abuse for not giving a free kick, to the Spurs of course. The crowd was more thrilled when Hunt feinting to give a pass to his right let out a fine drive, and Sagar caught it by driving at the ball and making a corner –a thrill. Nothing had been seen of the fat little fellow, Willie Evans, thanks to Williams, and Britton. It was Britton who put the ball hard over to Stein and a goal was promised when the winger just hooked the ball forwards the goalmouth. Dean was surprised and troubled with the grit, and the chance went without a shot –a let off. Geldard's pace and centring were made manifest and Higham close in made Nicholls go to ground for a shot of no special sting. Hunt dribbled through at will paralled to the goalline, nothing came from it. Cunliffe equalled Hunt's solo run, and Geldard stung across another particularly good centre which Nicholl stemmed. A free kick was even more suggestive of a goal, Stein just missing charging the goalkeeper over his line as he gripped a Cunliffe header, which was going to the right spot. Half-time Spurs 1, Everton 0.

The Spurs' crowd shouted their heads off when they heard that the Arsenal; were down at half-time. Everton's defence backed up well. Hall started to attack, Alsford was on outstanding half-back and it was this man who started Spurs attack with the defence troubled to head away. Geldard made a centre too far out, it accurate Nichol catching it with ease, Cunliffe was doing a lot of quick, convincing work. Indeed the quality of a Everton's football was praiseworthy. Britton went to the corner flag and centred just as it had been a Geldard but the tall Nicholl just hooked the ball without as much as raising his heels. The referee could not keep up in the main incidents and now passed a patent case of deliberate handling. Williams cut out Hunt, who dwelt too long on the ball and them Sagar saved a low shot from the same player and was glad to get a drizzling from Willie Evans pass went over the bar. Alsford started the second goal – a perfect pass to the left and the ball was turned inwards for Hunt to make a telling hook shot to the right hand corner of the net – a pretty goal. Time 55 minutes. Higham made a long drive to try to extent the score sheet, and Nicholls took it in his stance as if dealing with a Ping-Pong ball. In a moment, however, Nicholls mis-fire pitched head-long on to his head, and was saved by Alsford heading away from under the bar to the delight of 26,761 spectators –official figure. Stein nearly surprised Nicholl, who was fortunately a second time. Hunt got the better of Williams and shot hard and true. Sagar with one hand edged the ball to safety. Alsford started this move and many others.


TOTTENHAM HOTSPURS 3 EVERTON 0 (Game 1467 over-all)-(Div 1 1425)

March 5, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Hunt's Hat-Trick.

‘Spurs' Again Beat Everton.

By “Bee.”

Everton had lost to Spurs 3-0 in the opening round of the Cup, and they were naturally anxious to prove this form wrong. The opposite was the case, as ‘Spurs won again –by the same score of 3-0, and Hunt performed the hat-trick. He is a very dangerous club centre forward and needs constant watching, because he employs the body swerve to good use and winds up with damaging shot. Everton played really fine football during the first half and their methods were as bright and even more alluring than those of the ‘Spurs, but after Dean had headed against the crossbar, and Higham had driven in two shots at the tall goalkeeper's body, Everton in every department but goals faded considerably and by degrees their efforts because stagging and struggling where they had been convincing by reason of their all-round merit and combination. There were as you see, two district halves to this game, one a fine studious display by Everton with Spurs taking the lead in 15 minutes and thereby getting the encouragement of an early goal which seems to set these young Welsh players into a winning vein. The goalkeeping was good all day, but Everton's defence eventually failed to stay the resourceful work of the sharp Spurs' forwards. Nicholls, who had not been safe early on, because more secure and he made contact with the ball whereas he had been in the habit of going too far under the centre or lob put across his goalmouth.

Goals That Turned The Game.

How easily a goal can come by fortuitous and lucky manner was shown by the goal, which turned this game from Everton to the home team's channel. The ball was bundled in the goalmouth and Britton trying to save, nearly put the ball into his own goal. The rebound from the bar gave Hunt his chance. Hunt takes these chances with joy, Everton lost confidence through this rather surprising goal and thereafter I must be confessed they had to bow to a better and quicker team. It was touch and go to half-time, after which Hunt made a lovely hook shot to take the second goal. It was now one found the forward line without flourish and nerve. Dean, who had been so good with his head, hardly got a ball and that was almost sufficient evidence against Everton. Cunliffe continued to play his own delightful way, but Higham who had opened so well went back and finally began to make his shooting efforts far out. Close in, first half, he had been driving the ball too straight. Now he was too far removed from the goal area to expect to beat a goalkeeper of Nicholl's physique and class. Sagar once more kept a brilliant goal. He was never at fault he might have starved in goal when he saved Hall's first shot instead of trying to recapture the ball as it travlled on a few yards from his hand out. The outstanding boy of the game was Alsford, who inspired the three goals by masterly attacking half-back principles, yet he was able to take his share of the defensive side.

Dean Needs Time to Recover.

Rowe never released his marksmanship of Dean, who still needs time, of course to get back to something like his old confident form. The Spurs' backs were solid. Whatley playing a brainy game, and forward we had the novelty of none of the four wingers being in the game for any length of time. Geldard crossed the ball perfectly in the first half and showed pace, but he like the rest, faded away and was probably wanting more support from Britton. Stein had a varying time, and on the home side neither Willie Evans nor McCormick made great play, as is their general character of football. Finally near time, Hunt completed his Hat-trick through a breakdown in the defence, ascoring with sake, being unmarked by Gee, who had found the inside trio of Tottenham a fast moving set, taking much out of him so that he had to merely lob, the ball forward when he got possession rather than usually it to make a steadfast pass to either wing. Cook and Williams had to bear the brunt of the defensive day and while neither was outstanding, each did a lot of valued work for Sagar. The better side won, and the laurels of the day were shared by Hunt by reason of his hat-trick, and Alsford, who was cradled in the ‘Spurs staff from the day he was fourteen years old and has grown into an excellent all-round half-back, having height and fine command of the ball to help him. With a little more earnestness he would be one of England's most noteworthy half backs. The game was refereed by Mr. F. Smith, of Walsall and the crowd of 26,000 did not take kindly to a lot of his decisions, notably when he held up the game to place a free kick a foot away from the spot at which the player had “marked the ball.” Such things only irritate; no defender gains anything by taking inches; it is when the question of yards enters into the vantage that a referee should take notice. Teams: - Tottenham Hotspur: - Nicholls, goal; Channell, and Whatley, backs; Evans (T.), Rowe (captain), and Alsford, half-backs; McCormick, O'Callagan, Hunt, Hall, Evans (W.), forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Higham, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. F. Smith (Walsall).



March 5, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central league (Game 30)

It was fitting that Everton's goal should have come from the left wing where Coulter and Stevenson operated, for this flank invariably formed the Goodison team's spearhead of attack –although Bentham (late of Wigan Athletic), making his debut at inside-right contributed many attractive and useful efforts. Coulter was in brilliant form, excelling in intricate ball manipulation, and bewildering the Athletic defenders with ordinal tactics and ideas. He scored Everton's first two goals and Stevenson added to the quota with a couple. Everton found victory difficult to attain –although indulging in most of the pressure –because then Everton's forwards were guilty of a number of missed, even allowing for Hackling's brilliant goalkeeping. White played well, but had the misfortune to put the ball through his own goal, and Pateman scored Oldham's other two goals. Kavanagh impressed. Everton: - King, goal; Cresswell and Jones, backs; Kavanagh, White and Archer, half-backs; Leyfield, Bentham, Redfern, Stevenson, and Coulter, forwards.



March 9, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Leicester are due to meet Everton tomorrow at Goodison Park, and local enthusiasts will be able to judge the merits of the Cup semi-finalists for themselves. The City are undoubtedly one of the most improved sides during recent weeks. Reconstituted from Leicester Fosse in 1919, the City gained promotion to the upper circle in 1925, and they have since held their place. The City first appeared at Goodison park under League auspices in 1908-09 and suffered a 4-2 reverse, and at the close of the same season were relegated. Since their return to the upper division their visits to Everton have produced four points as the result of two victories while they have registered 15 goals and conceded 32. The results of these latter games (Everton's score reading first) have been; 1-0, 3-4, 7-1, 3-1, 4-5, 9-2, and 6-3.

Sports Pie.

•  Norwich City have strengthened their bid for promotion from the Third Division Southern Section by signing Harold Houghton the Exeter City inside left, formerly of Everton. The capture of Houghton should make the Third Division leaders a very formidable aside for he is generally regard as one of the cleverest inside forwards in the South. He has been six years with Exeter, whom he joined from Everton in 1928. In 1931 he toured Canada with an F.A. Team. Curiously, his first game for Norwich will be against his old club at Norwich tomorrow.



March 10 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

In the First Division of the League there are several outstanding matches, the visit of Leicester City to Goodison Park being a especially attractive tit-bit for Merseyside. The advance of the City has been one of the outstanding features of the late season, and their march into the Cup semi-final, together with the steady gathering of points, places the club in a happy position. The fact that Leicester defeated the Arsenal so easily on Thursday (4-1) indicates the power of the combination, and they are sure to test Everton to the full today. Everton could do with a win or two, but they must finish off their work better than they did last week if they are to succeed. White resumes at centre-forward in place of Dean, who has not yet regained his old confidence, while Leicester City hope to have Gardiner, the young Scot who has scored seven goals in three games in the ranks. The kick off is at 3.15 and the teams are: - Everton; Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, White, Higham, Stein. Leicester City; (probable) –McLaren; Black, Wood; Smith, Heywood, Grovsenor, Adcock, Gardiner, Chandler, Paterson, Liddle.



March 10, 1934. Liverpool Football Echo

Leicester City Draw at Goodison.

By Stork.

Not since Christmas Day have Leicester suffered defeat. Yet they should have done so today, for Everton were well on top in the second half, Geldard gave a brilliant exhibition. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, White, Higham and Stein, forwards. Leicester City: - McLaren, goal; Black and Wood, backs; Smith, Heywood and Grosvenor, half-backs; Adcock, Gardiner, Chandler, Paterson and Liddle, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Cartledge, Burslem.

Apart from the fact that Leicester City were one of the semi-finalisits there was the added incentive to visit Goodison today, because we know that the Midland side has always been recognized for its good class football. On some seasons too much science has prevented them from figuring high, but this season goals have been added to their other asset. In fact, one of their forwards has scored seven goals in the only three matches in which he has played. I refer, of course, to Gardner. The ground was very soft on top, and the Leicester forwards soon showed what they could do in the matter of combination when Smith, Gardiner, and Adcock participated in an section which produced a good centre, but nothing more. As against that Everton's first advance brought a good shot from Geldard and an equally good save by McLaren. The goalkeeper pushed the ball out so that there was still a chance, but Higham and White put their shots against opponent's bodies. Still on Everton goal was not long in the offing. The ball later came out to Stein, who quickly drove in a sharp rising shot. McLaren caught the ball and all seemed well, but the power behind Stein's shot was such that it caused the goalkeeper to lose his grip. He turned round, and found the ball dropping from his hands and into the back of the net. Time, three minutes. The crowd had cause to remember a Liddle centre, which Sagar pulled from under his bar, but as he did so he was charged by Chandler. Sagar's feet were undoubtedly behind the line, but that makes no matter so long as his arms were on the right side of the fine. Geldard took the ball from the half-way line and beating a number of opponents, his final shot just missed its mark. So far Geldard had been the shinning light of the Everton forwards and another run of his might have brought a result if Higham had not kicked round the ball when it dropped at his feet. Leicester's new man, Gardiner was polished, and it was only a bit of bad luck, for the movement he exploited was good enough, which prevented him from testing the ability of Sagar. The Leicester backs were nearly surprised by White, and if it had not been for McLaren the Everton man would most assuredly have taken a goal, Black and Wood did not think White had such pace, so they decided to leave the matter on hand to McLaren.

McLaren's Save.

The City goal was fortunate not to fall when White made a shot which appeared to have McLaren beaten to pieces, but the goalkeeper showed that his mind was on his job when he thrust out his left foot and turned the ball away from goal. White suffered an injury as a result of his endeavor. I would say that Leicester were a shade the superior in craft. The inside forwards were undoubtedly better than Higham and Cunliffe, but their work in front of goal had not been nearly as dangerous. Chandler from well inside the penalty area put the ball straight to Sagar's hands. White returned to operate at outside right. Sagar was beaten by Gardiner's header, but once again Ben Williams saved his side when he headed out what otherwise would have been a goal.

A Gardiner Effort.

After Cunliffe had headed against the upright, Leicester got on level terms, Chandler put a nice ball out to Adcock, who ran on and turned the ball in to Gardiner, who shot to the far side of the goal, well out of Sagar's reach. Halt-Time Everton 1 Leicester City 1.

White resumed at centre forward in the second half, and Everton were so much on top that they should have had further goals, for the chance were there, Cunliffe from a White back-header whipped the ball outside the upright as did Higham a little later. Geldard was pulled up for offside, and rightly so, even though the spectators did not agree. This player was fouled, and from Cook's free kick Cunliffe went close then Higham following good work, hit a mightily shot on to the Leicester crossbar. Leicester had little chance in the way of attack so far this half, but when they did Patterson made a hefty kick at goal, but no doubt was interfered with for the referee was standing almost on top of him.

Gardiner At Half-Back.

Leicester City hereabouts made a change, Gardiner going right half and Smith outside right. The amount of pressure Everton brought to bear was enough to have caused a collapse in many defences, but not so Leicester's, Black, Wood, and Heywood were harassed no end. Yet Everton could not find the bull's eye a second time try as they would. Leicester seemed to have gone to pieces, and they had their streak of fortune even in defence for McLaren had at no time been confident. He made a hopeless hash of a Cunliffe header, yet he was able to scramble the ball away. Later he was beaten by a White header, which fortunately for him, went away from the goal. The City had a spell in attack, and Sagar had to go down on one knee to make sure that a Paterson shot did not sniggle through. Final Everton 1 Leicester City 1.



March 10, 1934. Liverpool Football Echo

BY Louis T. Kelly.

•  Apropos –Have Everton and Liverpool ever played a home League match on the same day? A Southampton reader says he recollects as a boy this happening in the nineties. It was holiday time, he states and the matches – Everton v Sunderland (or Newcastle) at Goodison Park in the morning and Liverpool v. Aston Villa in the afternoon. After searching the records one finds no trace of this, but in 1896 Liverpool were at home to Aston Villa on Christmas Day and Everton at home to Sunderland on Boxing Day. Newcastle were then 2 nd Division members. I think these are the matches our friend has to mind, and it is possible the Everton - Sunderland match was played on boxing morning to allow Sunderland (who were at Blackburn on the Christmas Day to get a conventlent train back north.

•  Jones Leicester's Welsh international back has been out of Leicester City side since the opening round of the cup as has centre forward Paterson once on Everton's books.

•  Tommy Johnson and Gordon Hodgson have been friends even before the Everton's man's appearance in a Liverpool jersey.

•  L.R. Roose was with Everton only a part of one season. This was in the latter half of 1904-05. His chief clubs in turn were Stoke, Everton, Stoke, Sunderland, and Aston Villa in that order.

•  Billy Williams an Everton right winger played for the English League v. Irish league in 1897. He came from Bromborough Pool and joined Blackburn Rovers from Everton in 98.


EVERTON 1 LEICESTER CITY 1 (Game 1468 over-all)-(Div 1 1426)

March 12, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton Take Charge.

But Fail To Finish Off Good Moves

By “Stork.”

The meeting of Leicester City, one of the semi-finalists for the Cup, and Everton, the holders, was expected to produce football of a high quality, and those who saw the game must have been well satisfied, particularly in the first half, when each side gave us a glimpse of football as it should be played. Only two goals were scored during the afternoon, one to each side, but one could not help but be pleased with the combination and artistry of the teams. Everton were the first to score, and they held their lead until five minutes from the interval, but throughout the forty-five minutes the whole of the twenty-two players gave the crowd a football treat. From my point of view Leicester City were just ahead of Everton in the point of skill for the Everton inside forwards were inclined to keep the ball too close and reply upon the short pass, which had but little chance of getting to a given spot because of the holding nature of the turf due to the morning rain. By comparison, Paterson and the new man, Gardiner exploited the long pass, and this enabled Leicester to make ground at a far quicker rate; but the real reason for the quick advance was the strong half-back work. The players comprising this line show, in average age of 21.

Geldard Back to His Best.

They simply forced their forwards to go forward. They pushed the ball through in a manner which made an advance a simple matter, but even such an artist as Smith was not ahead of Britton, who gave an excellent exhibition, so much so that he and Geldard were the most dangerous wing on the field. Geldard has come back to his best, and it was a pity that white should receive an injury, for it undoubtedly weakened a line, which was strong in all phrases with the exception of shooting. Stein had scored in three minutes, but I cannot help but fault McLaren, the goalkeeper for he had actually got a grip of the ball from a fast shot but was unable to hold it so that the ball slipped out of his hand and fell behind his head into the net. McLaren was not impressive. I know his ability, but he undoubtedly had a poor day, and was not confident at any time. He was well beaten when Cunliffe headed on to the crossbar, and was also lucky to stop a White shot from beating him by throwing out his left leg to a ball that was booked for the corner of the net and turning it away from his goal. He, in my opinion, was the one weak link in the City's armour. Even in the second half, when Everton were on top throughout his luck never deserted him, for he saw a Higham shot crash on to the crossbar when he was helpless, and later on he made a sad hash of a White header but was fortunate to drop on top of the ball and subsequently scramble the ball away. Everton should have won this game. They had no excuse for not doing so, for they had 99 per cent of the attack in the second half, and it only required shooting to have brought a definite result. Time and again they had the ball well inside the penalty area, and the Leicester defence all tangled up, but their finishing was not nearly so good as their approach work had been. Higham and Cunliffe were both off the mark with opportunities they would have accepted at other times, and one could not expect White to be at his best, for he had not recovered from his injury. It was tantalizing to see the inside forwards offered goal-scoring chances by their wingers, yet McLaren was free from work when he should have been inundated with shots.

Was The Ball Over?

There was an incident in the Everton goalmouth, when Sagar clutched a shot, turned round, and appeared to carry the ball over his goal line. His feet were behind the line, but I have a notion that the ball which he held in front of him did not go over. Only those who were in a dead straight line with the incident could safety say whether or not the ball had crossed. It will be a debated point for some time. The City have found a good man in Gardiner. He scored his side's goal, but he did more; he made superb passes, and Adcock a fine partner. The winger gave Cook a lot to do in the first half, but after the turn around Everton took charge and it was only on rare occasions that we saw the City front line up and doing. They had not got the support; their half-backs being too busily engaged keeping out the Everton forwards who played pretty football without finish. The City have not been beaten since Christmas Day. That is the story of the game . Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, White, Higham and Stein, forwards. Leicester City: - McLaren, goal; Black and Wood, backs; Smith, Heywood and Grosvenor, half-backs; Adcock, Gardiner, Chandler, Paterson and Liddle, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Cartledge, Burslem.



March 12, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central league (Game 31)

Dean's Three Goals.

Everton Reserves Win at Burnley.

Everton Reserves victory by 4-2 over Burnley Reserves was due largely to Dean's opportunism. He scored three goals and Coulter the fourth. Burnley after being two goals behind equalised through Smith and Sellars, but Everton deserved their win through better finishing. Their forwards were more polished in their movement, and the defence was sound. King, the amateur goalkeeper kept a good goal. Everton: - King, goal; Jackson and Jones, backs; Kavanagh, Griffiths and Mercer, half-backs; Critchley, Bentham, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Coulter, forwards.



March 12, 1934. Evening Express.

Everton Scorn “Easy Goal” Route

By the Pilot.

Take the easiest road to goal Everton! This is the best advice, which can be given to the Blues after their 1-1 draw with Leicester City, at Goodison Park, on Saturday. It is a fact that had Everton always taken the easy road they would have won by a large margin, and this would not have been undeserved. It was like this in the second half White was labouring under the ankle injury and was unable to go into the tackles or “fight” for a ball with his customary enterprise. Further the dominant force in the City defence was Heywood, the centre-half, and he was generally capable of closing any avenues down the middle. It meant that the Everton wingers were often left unattended, yet Everton persisted in a plan of attack in which they kept placing the ball down the centre of the field. It was playing into the hands of the City. If Everton had exploited their wingers, both of whom were in brilliant form, on every possible occasion, they would have won with a “stone in hand,” to use a racing expression.

Leicester in Luck.

Rarely have I seen a team press so much as Everton did in the second half, and yet not receive the compensation of a goal. Luck was with the City on many occasions. Perhaps the most gratifying feature of the game was the glorious display of Geldard. Not since his early days with the club in 1932 has Geldard played with such consummate skill. His touch-line runs were a joy, and only once did he waste the ball in finishing. The period of rest has done this young Yorkshireman a world of good, and I, for one, look forward with confidence to a repetition of this dazzling form. Stein was another prime raider and the most deadly shot, but entire forward line operated smoothly and scientifically up to the time White was injured. Afterwards Cunliffe and Higham were too cramped in their style. No one could blame the Blues for not shooting. They did a pile of it and twice the woodwork was struck, Cunliffe and Higham being the marksmen. Still, it was Leicester's lucky day. Everton had a fine centre half in gee, and no one paid such attentions to neat construction as Britton. Thomson was not so good as usually, and Williams was the better of the backs. Sagar was without blemish. On this form I do not think Leicester will win the F.A. Cup. Everton's fault was not individual deficiency, but mistaken tactics. That can soon be remedied.



March 14, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Everton are not engaged on Saturday owing to the Cup semi-final at Huddersfield between Manchester City and Aston Villa. Everton were due to visit Huddersfield Town, and the game has had to be postponed. Everton Reserves meet Preston North End at Goodison Park in a Central League Match and the team will be: - King; Jackson, Jones; Kavanagh, Griffiths, Mercer; Critchley, Bentham, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter.



March 17, 1934. Evening express Football Edition.

Harry Morton.

Chosen to play for the Rest against England in the International Trial at Sunderland next week, Harry Morton has had much to do with the appearance of Aston Villa in the Cup semi-final today. Despite his youth, Harry is an “old soldier.” In other words, Harry is an ex-Army man. What is more, he owes his rise in the Football world to the Army. He began gathering honours early, for, to begin with he kept goal for the Oldham schools team. The next step up was into Sunday Schools League Football in the Oldham vicinity. Later he joined the Services, and was sent to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers depot at Wrexham. When the Regimental X1 required a goalkeeper in Germany, where the Fusiliers were part of the Army of Occupation, he was put in the first draft. On his return to Tidworth Morton was selected to play for the Army against Aston Villa at Villa Park, and that was the key that unlocked the door to fuller advancement. The Villa won that game 7-1, and Morton was inclined to feel sorry for himself, but was really bucked when not only the officer in charge of the team, but people connected with the Villa complimented him on his fine work in keeping the score down.

Signed by the Villa.

This was followed directly by a request from the Villa to play in their Central League side the next Saturday, November 22, 1930, against Everton Reserves. So well did he comport himself on that occasion that Southampton and West Ham joined with the Aston club in the desire to secure his services. Signing for the Villa as an amateur, he turned professional in March, 1931. Harry had to wait till November 23 for his first appearance with the senior side. That was against Manchester City at Maine road, and today he has appeared in his first cup semi-final against the same opposition. Only one has he been out of the League team since he made his bow, and that in April last year, when he missed the home fixture with Newcastle United owing to injury. He completed his century of League games on February 24. Standing a quarter of an inch under 5ft 10ins, he has given many brilliant displays, for he is lithe, active –and ambitious.



March 19 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 32)

Everton's forward superiority was more pronounced that that score would suggest and it was Muir's good goalkeeping, aided by resolute defensive work, that prevented them increasing their lead. The Goodison Irish left wing – Coulter and Stevenson – excelled in brilliant footcraft and combination. Dean is gradually regaining confidence and, if not among the goals did much good work particularly with his head, and Bentham is proving a valuable acquisition at inside-right. Everton were the more convincing in the first half, and led at the interval by goals scored by Stevenson from Critchley's corner, and a penalty from Coulter against a finely headed gaol from Brain following a good centre from Dougal (Preston best forward). Everton: - King, goal; Jackson and Jones backs; Kavanagh, Griffiths, and Mercer, half-backs; Critchley, Bentham, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Coulter, forwards.



March 19, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Liverpool Challenge Cup

Everton “A” Reach Final.

Although it was not until the last three minutes that winning goals came through Leyfield and Turner, Everton “A” in a 3-1 victory almost completely outclassed Garston Protestant Reformers at Woolton-road, Wavertree. Considering the treacherous state of the ground, Everton's football was remarkably good and at times rose to sheer brilliance in accuracy of passes; no two players catching the eye more frequently in the respect than Birtley and Leyfield. Two weaknesses only were apparent; one a marked unsteadiness with both full-backs and two as unnecessary amount of intricate close passing. But from an attacking angle there could be little doubt that Garston were outplayed even though Lunt (he and Martin constituted a dangerous pair of wingers) actually opened their scoring after five minutes play. Molyneux by effecting a number of starting saves, carried off the main honours of a really sound defence he being chiefly responsible for Everton not scoring the equaliser through Leyfield until fifteen minutes from the close. Everton will now meet Whiston in the final to be played at Anfield on Easter Monday morning.



March 20, 1934. Evening Express.

Liverpool Tests in Reserves' “Derby”

By the Pilot.

King, Everton's young goalkeeper from Blyth Spartans, has been signed as a professional. He will probably be included in Everton's reserve side to meet Liverpool in the Central league “Derby” at Anfield tomorrow. King's was only 16 years of age when Everton brought him from the North-East. He could not be signed as a professional until he reached the age of 17 last week. He is regarded as a most promising player, and has been playing consistently, well for the Reserves. Tomorrow's match is important, especially from the Liverpool point of view, for they will be giving a “rest” to four first team players who have been on the injured list. They are Nieuwenhuys, Davie Wright, Sydney Roberts, and Hanson. The team has not yet been definitely decided, but I understand these players will be included. Another attraction will be the debut of Browning, the new full back from Dunoon Athletic. Browning has played in the Northern Mid-week eleven, but now comes into the Reserves. I am told he is a splendid player. The teams will be chosen this evening, and the Everton team may include such well-known internationals as Dean, Stevenson and Coulter, so visitors to Anfield are certain to see more classic football.

•  Advertisement in Evening Express. Central league Match at Anfield, Liverpool v. Everton, tomorrow (Wednesday) Kick off 3.15 p.m. Admission 6d, Boys 3d, Stands 9d (Including tax) Car Parking Free.



March 21, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Liverpool and Everton Central League sides meet at Anfield today. This junior Derby ought to provide a most interesting match, as the sides include some attractive young players, in addition to seasoned performers such as Dean, Dunn and Critchley. Coulter the Irish forward who has been playing so well, is also included in the Everton side. Liverpool will also field a strong team. Browning, the New Left half-back from Dunnon Athletic, will play, while in the forward line are Nieuwenhuys, Roberts (S.), and Hanson. The kick off is at 3.15, and the teams are: - Liverpool: - Kirk; Dabbs, Done; Rogers, Bush, Browning; Nieuwenhuys, Wright (D.), Roberts (J.), Roberts (S.), Hanson. Everton: - King; Jackson, Jones; Mercer, Clark, Archer; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Leyfield, Coulter.

Higham to lead Everton Attack.

Sheffield United now in great danger of relegation visit Goodison Park on Saturday. Everton may be able to do their friends across the park a good turn by winning this game. Everton are playing Higham, the former Chorley forward on the position where he attracted attention in the Lancashire Combination. Viz, centre forward. Stevenson the Irish forward, who has been playing so well with the Reserves take sup the inside-left berth, and the team is as follows: - Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein.



March 21, 1934. Evening Express

Forward Reshuffle For Game With Blades.

Stevenson Returns to Inside Left.

By the Pilot.

Norman Higham, Everton's young forward who was secured from Chorley a few moths ago, will lead the senior team attack for the first time on Saturday, when Sheffield United visit Goodison Park. Higham's previous five appearances in the first team have been at inside left, but he has led the Central League attack with great success. White is suffering from an ankle injury received during the game with Leicester City, and this has caused a rearrangement of the attack. With Higham going to centre, Stevenson, the Irish international from Glasgow Rangers, who has been playing so well in partnership with Coulter in the reserve, will return to the side for the first time since the match with Middlesbrough on February 17. These are the only changes. Higham has the making of a brilliant player. He is a real worrier – a player who is never beaten –and though he has something to learn of the finer points of the game, he has the faculties which go to make a good one. If Higham can master the art of keeping the ball closer when dribbling and get over the ball when shooting, it should not be long before he is among the goals. Everton can do Liverpool a friendly turn on Saturday, for a win over the United will greatly increase the Liverpool chances of getting to a safe position in the League. The Blues have not won a home match since February 7, when they defeated Manchester City by 2-0, and they have won only two home games since the drawn in 1934. They beat Birmingham 2-0 at Goodison Park on January 6. Everton; Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein.



March 21, 1934. Evening Express.

At Anfield, before 10,000 spectators. Everton applied most of the pressure, but in Liverpool's first real attack after ten minutes. King parried a centre from Nieuwenhuys, and Roberts (Jack) was on the spot to apply the finishing touch. Everton's right flank did good work but the finishing was poor. In 20 minutes Coulter equalised. Bush did well for the Reds at centre half, giving Dean little scope, while Archer contributed one glorious touchline dribble. Liverpool went ahead throught Nieuwenthuys after half an hour. Half-time –Liverpool Res 2, Everton 1 Res.



March 22, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Central league (Game 33)

Junior Derby Game.

Liverpool Beat Everton

By “Bee.”

Liverpool Reserves beat Everton Reserves 2-1 at Anfield yesterday, in a game of much interest because both sides fielded new members, and the Liverpool public were anxious to see more of Coulter, the Irish international, who has made quite a name for himself in reserve team games at Goodison. Coulter was the outstanding feature of the Everton attack, which was unbalanced because it lacked pace at centre, and Leyfield was included to hold the ball too long. Dunn, however, did much useful work and the half-back work of the extremely fast Archer suggested that he might become a good forward. Clark, as a pivot, also did well, and Mercer spread his long left over a good stretch of ground. Everton were particularly good at full-back, where Jones and Jackson promise to developed into an excellent partnership. They are robust but not wild. On the Liverpool side Bush, at centre-half provided a barrier to Dean with height and endeavour. In fact he was a shade too boisterous in some of his charges, knocking out one of his own side on one occasion. By his side Rogers half a heavy task, and Browning, the new boy, son of the old Chelsea full back, showed a neatness, which recalled Morrison's style. In the forward line Nieuwenhuys, Wright, S. Roberts and Hanson reappeared, and while naturally a little tender, they never showed fitness and readiness for their task. Liverpool won through goals by J. Roberts –a dashing centre-forward, and Nieuwnhuys each helping the other in turn to his goal. Everton's goal was scored by Coulter, whose methods of dribbling, even to the point of over-dribbling, pleased the crowd, and led to them concentrating on his old fashioned dribbling which recalled the McDermott pattern. Teams: - Liverpool: - Kirk, goal; Dabbs, and Done backs; Rogers, Bush, and Browning, half-backs; Nieuwenhuys, Wright (D.), Roberts (J.), Roberts (S.), Hanson, forwards. Everton: - King, goal; Jackson and Jones, backs; Mercer, Clark, Archer, half-backs; Critchley, Dunn, Dean (captain), Leyfield, and Coulter, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Hunt, Preston.



March 23 1934. Evening Express.

What an Everton Victory Tomorrow Means.

Sheffield United at Goodison Park

By the Pilot.

Everton take a hand in the First Division relegation question tomorrow when, at Goodison Park, they oppose Sheffield United. The Blues are not concerned with the bogy of the Second Division themselves, but they will do Liverpool a good “turn” if they conquer the United. This is the position. Sheffield are third from bottom with 26 points from 31 -two points behind Liverpool – and another defeat for them will make the outlook black for the Blades and brighter for the Reds. In addition an Everton home victory is long overdue. Only twice in 1934 have the Blues succeeded in winning at Goodison Park, and they should make it three against Sheffield United. My opinion is that Everton will win well. The United have a poor away record. Their one success was at the expense of Sheffield Wednesday, and they have played a draw at Portsmouth. That is all in 16 journeys. Mark you, of late the United have done big things. They beat the Wednesday 5-1 at Bramell-lane, and last week they beat Newcastle United 4-0 on the same ground. That is exceptionally good going and proves that if Everton take any risks they might pay dearly for it. The United eleven that beat Newcastle will oppose Everton.

Forward Schemers.

Sheffield have some notable players, Particularly in attack, Boyd, the Scottish centre-forward recently secured from Clyde, has greatly improved the line. He is a sound leader and a rare opportunist. The “schemers” of the line are Pickering and Barclay, Pickering is in his best form at the moment and needs watching. The half-backs are tall and purposeful. Stacey is the former Leeds player, Holmes is a grim quick-tackling pivot, and Gooney is a local boy who has been brought along carefully by the Blades. The weakest section of the team appears to be the defence. Well, no fewer than 86 goals have been scored against the United this season. Everton will have young Higham at centre forward for the first time. He takes the place of White, who was injured in the match against Leicester City nearly a fortnight ago. The moving of Higham allows Alex Stevenson, their Irish international forward to resume at inside left. Stevenson has been playing brilliant football in the Central league team in partnership with Coulter, and I think the Blues will reap the benefit of allowing Stevenson to settle down gradually instead of calling upon him top shoulder first team duties right away. Everton; Sagar; Williams Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein. Sheffield United; Wilkes; Hooper, Wilkinson; Stacey, Holmes, Gooney; Williams, Barclay, Boyd, Pickering, Oswald.

•  Advertisement in the Evening Express, At Goodison Park Tomorrow (Saturday) Everton v. Sheffield United Kick off 3.15 Admission 1/- Boys 4d; Stands extra including tax. Booked Seats Sharp's Whitechapel.



March 24, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Merseyside has a double interest in the relegation today as in addition to Liverpool's effort to improve their own position at the expense of Leeds United at Leeds Sheffield United, also in great danger are the visitors to Everton, so that the Goodison Park team has an opportunity of helping their neighbors. Sheffield United have experienced one of their worst seasons, but they will make a desperate effort to win at Everton. I expect however, to see Everton win with something to spare Higham is to lead the attack, while Stevenson the Irish player will have an opportunity of showing his worth as Stein's partner. It is a small but clever forward line and is expected to finish on the winning side. The kick off is at 3.15, and the teams are: - Everton; Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein. Sheffield United; Wilkes; Hooper, Wilkinson; Stacey, Holmes, Gooney; Williams, Barclay, Boyd, Pickering, Oswald.



March 24 134. Evening Express Football Edition.

With their powerful forward line, which included Dean at centre, Everton Reserves had an early shock against Huddersfield Town Reserves, at Leeds road. Jones sent Richardson away down the middle and from his pass Morris shot across the goalmouth. Williams dashed in unmarked from the other wing and packed the ball into the net after only one minute's play. Everton replied with a clever movement in which Critchley and Watson were prominent, but Hesford held the latter's shot. The Everton goal had several narrow escapes following a brief Everton attack, but after 21 minutes the visitors' goal fell again when Dodds beat King with a 20 yards shot. Half-time Huddersfield Town Res 2, Everton Res 0.



March 24, 1934. Liverpool Echo.

Sheffield United A Poor Side.

Higham's Double

By Stork.

Not a great game by any means, but a great result from an Anfield point of view. United, after a bright start, faded out to nothing, and seemed on this form to be destined for the Second Division. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson and Stein, forwards. Sheffield United: - White, goal; Hooper and Wilkinson, backs; Stacey, Holmes and Gooney half-backs; Williams, Barclay, Boyd, Pickering, and Oswald forwards. Referee Mr. W. B. Bristow, Stafford. The races at Aintree had taken away some of the crowd from Goodison, so that the attendance was not more than 20,000. The game was vital from a Sheffield standpoint, and the result would also have a bearing upon Liverpool's position. Sheffield's football during the first five minutes was of good class, and it was some moments before anything was seen of the Everton advance guard. Sagar later got his side out of difficult situation. Britton made one of the prettiest dribbles along the touchline. I have seen for an age. He beat three men and placed to Geldard to pull the ball back squarely into the goalmouth, but the Sheffield defence stood supreme. Just prior to this Higham had headed tamely into Wilkes hands following good work by Stein and Cunliffe. Pickering was the engineer-in-chief of any movement by the United attack. He sent along some fine passes, but they were not utilised as they should have been, and it was left to Everton to provide any excitement there may have been. Wilkes had to punch the ball away from under his bar, and Higham keen to seize all openings, returned the ball with his head and it was only a matter of inches that it went over the crossbar. Gee, who by the way was presented with a son on Thursday was doing solid work at centre-half. He did not seem to bother about Boyd. Still, Gee never had been a third back.

A Diversion.

There was a diversion when a spectator ran on to the field, apparently with the desire to have a few words with the referee but he was promptly ordered back, and then came the best shot of the match. The ball came to Cunliffe who sent in a smashing drive, Wilkes diving and turning the ball round the post –a grand save. From the resulting corner kick Everton took the lead at twenty-seven minutes. Stein lobbed the ball in nicely, and Wilkes got it away at the first attended but as the ball dropped on to the stodgy turf it enabled Higham to come forward and touch it into the net. Gee had a few words with the referee and Thomson had to come along to take him away. The shooting of the United had been a thing of shreds and patches until Williams drove in, Sagar catching the ball at the angle of the posts. Wilkes followed suit when Cunliffe tried another lengthily effort. Higham did not find Holmes in easy obstacle to overcome. He did get away from the centre-half, and then tried to tap the ball aside the goalkeeper who however, stopped the Everton man's gallop. It was quite a good schemer on the part of Higham, and it was only by a fraction of a second that Wilkes beat him. Gee made a shot of tremendous length, and it nearly surprised the United goalkeeper, for he made a fumbling sort of save and was lucky not to have paid a greater penalty.

Higham's Second.

He had to acknowledge defeat a second time at the thirty-ninth minute. This goal was a curious affair, for it was only due to the fact, that Higham was played onside through the ball striking Holmes that he had the opportunity to head beyond Wilkes as the latter came rushing out of goal in a vain attempt to save. The United defence was a wee bit lousy, and through this cause had a free kick awarded against them. This ended when Cunliffe shot across the face of the goal.

Half-time Everton 2 Sheffield United 0.

Sheffield's early form was not maintained and they might very easily have had a third goal scored against them in the early minutes of the second half. There was never any bite about their play, and Everton were always the more dangerous side. Gee and Barclay knocked their heads together in a heading duel, the Everton man having to leave the field. He returned, but did not take over the pivotal position. Becoming an loose forward between his half back line and the forward line. At fifty-nine minutes Everton scored a third goal through Stein, and ten minutes later Geldard brought the number up to four, following good work by Stein, Stevenson and Higham. Wilkes injured his leg when he ran out to prevent Higham nipping in for another goal. He made the save and seemed to twist his knee and went limping back to the goalmouth, where he sat down until the referee stopped the game and called for the trainer Wilkes, however, was soon back on duty. Sheffield's shooting well, their simply was none. Boyd missed a great chance when he had the ball at his feet twelve yards out and he was so slow to make up his mind that Sagar was able to dash out of his goal and sweep the ball away from Boyd's feet. Boyd afterwards netted from an offside position. Wilkes saved well from Geldard and Stevenson was playing pretty football. Final Everton 4 Sheffield United 0.


EVERTON 4 SHEFFIELD UNITED 0 (Game 1469 over-all)-(Div 1 1427)

March 26, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Easy For Everton

Higham Claims Two of Four Goals.

Sheffield United's Poor Show.

By “Stork.”

Sheffield United are fighting a relegation battle, but it is not a very stiff fight they are putting up if their form against Everton is an example of their general display. They were not on their tip-toes as it were, and to anyone who did not know their usual position in the League table they would not have known that Sheffield were perilously near the danger zone. When a team is at the foot of the table one usually expects earnest endeavour a little “devil” or a close duel, but the United never fought, as they should have done. For fifteen minutes they played quite nicely; good class football even though there was not a lot of shooting, but after that they fell to a level which has only one outcome relegation. How they ever came to beat such teams as the Wednesday, and by so many goals, it is difficult to understand unless it was that they played above themselves. The Yorkshire side are the poorest I have seen this season. There is a lot of ability in the side, but it is individual and not collective but it was their marksmanship, which was so seriously at fault at Goodison Park. They could and did take the ball into the required position, but if I say that they had three decent shots at Sagar throughout the whole match I am not being unduly unkind to them. After those first fifteen minutes Everton had the measure of them, and Sheffield gave me the impression that they had given up the ghost. That is not the way to retain your First Division status Sheffield United! You have a stern task ahead, but unless you can produce something different from what you showed at Goodison Park I feel certain that you are destined for the second Division. Even when Sheffield had the opportunities to have scored they were not taken, so they cannot lay the blame entirely on the shoulders of Everton. In the last ten minutes at least two chances awaited them, but there was no keenness about their play; no desire to try to pull the game out of the fire, so that in the end the game became too one-sided to be interesting. Everton won, and deservedly won, but how they were helped by the United's ineptitude only those who saw the game can be truly aware. Everton were some times before they struck the right vein, but once they had scored at 27 minutes there was never any doubt as to the ultimate result, for the United were feeble foemen, whereas Everton went on from Strength to strength. Higham was a nippy centre-forward. He twisted and turned round Holmes and even though he did do the wrong things at times he was ever a source of annoyance to Wilkes the Yorkshire goalkeeper. Higham's opening goal was brought about through a great shot by Cunliffe. Wilkes had made an equally fine save, giving a corner in doing so. This proved fatal to the United for when Wilkes saved from the flag kick the ball dropped “dead” in front of goal, and Higham came up and tapped the ball into the net before Wilkes could make a move to thwart him. Higham's second goal, obtained ten minutes later was a curious affair, and was due to Holmes getting in the way of a shot and so putting Higham and others on-side. Higham had been particularly good with his head, and he was so when he scored this goal, for he had to beat Wilkes to nod the ball into the empty goal.

Gee Injured.

That goal took the heart out of Sheffield so much so that one never feared any trouble from that quarter. At times they had Williams and Cook in trouble but Sagar was always master of the attack even when Cook and Williams were beaten. Gee and Barclay came into collision and both suffered a head injury. Gee had to go off for a time, and when he came back he did not resume in his rightful position at centre-half but under took the position of “loose” forward working between his front line and half-back line. Naturally he picked up a lot of stray balls and made some canny passes, but it was Stevenson who made the bonnier passes. He delayed his moves until the last fraction of a second, and then slipped the ball away having drawn the defence away from the man the ball was sent to.

Geldard's Great Shot.

Geldard was none too happy against the tousy United defence, but he made one great shot and had a hand in the making of the third goal. He and Higham had dovetailed to such an extent that the latter was able to sweep the ball across the goal face so that Stein could easily turn it into the net – time 69 minutes. Geldard obtained the fourth and last goal. Stein, Stevenson and Higham combined extremely well when making his goal, and when finally the ball travlled out to Geldard, the right winger was standing all on his own. Wilkes could have little chance providing Geldard found a true line, and that he did, leaving Wilkes standing still. It was after this that the United were given the opportunities to have wiped out at least two goals, but they never produced any shooting and apart from a shot by Williams and another by Pickering, the Everton goal was never in danger. Britton was a great half-back. He simply toyed with his rival, making wonderful dribbles and then popping the ball into the centre. Gee was sound until he was injured, and Thomson was dour and sure. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson and Stein, forwards. Sheffield United: - White, goal; Hooper and Wilkinson, backs; Stacey, Holmes and Gooney half-backs; Williams, Barclay, Boyd, Pickering, and Oswald forwards. Referee Mr. W. B. Bristow, Stafford.



March 26 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central league (Game 34)

With Dean well held by Christie the Everton Reserves forward line never found cohesion or balance at Leeds-road through Critchley and Coulter on the wings both played well. Mercer and Clarke was hard-working half-backs. Williams scored Huddersfield's first goal in the first minute Dodds adding another before the interval, and in the second half Everton's only reply to goals by Williams (2), Bottrill, and Richardson was a goal by Dean.

Everton “A” 2 Whiston 0

Lord Wavertree Cup

At Crosby Everton opened the score in three minutes, Turner netting from a corner. Whiston pressed hard right up to the interval and it was only the excellent goalkeeping by White, a sixteen year-old newcomer that prevented Whiston running up two or three goals. The second half resulted in Everton increasing their lead with another goal by Turner and at this point they were definetely superior. Whiston forwards combined well; but finished badly Boony the Whiston right half shot wide from close quarters.



March 26, 1934. Evening Express.

Is Already Bearing Fruit.

By the Pilot.

Everton's policy in trying to discover young sides, which can bring further fame to the club next season is bearing fruit already. Against Sheffield United at Goodison Park on Saturday they experimented with 21-year-old Norman Higham at centre forward for the first time, result: They won 4-0 and did a good turn to Liverpool. The victory was not all due to Higham's prowess, but I say emphatically, that his enthusiastic leadership his never-say-die spirit and his opportunism paved the way. Higham, a small wiry speedy fair-haired player showed that he knows a bit about class football, but at the moment, is inclined to reply on his speed and endeavour more than craft. He has much to learn with regard to the artistry necessary to make the complete First Division leader, but if ever a player possessed the basic qualities then it is this boy from Chorley. He revealed a quick eye to an opening, he never selfish in this personal desire to earn glory, and he never gave the Sheffield defence any rest. Two goals came his way in the first half, and his effort which provided Stein with a third will not easily be forgotten. Nine centre-forwards out of ten would have been content to allow Gee's long forward pass to run behind for a goalkick. Not so Higham. At top speed he chased away gathered the ball as it was running “dead” and crossed a perfect ball for Stein to score.

Stevenson on Form.

Another gratifying feature was the play of Alex Stevenson, from Glasgow Rangers, at inside left. He has settled down with the reserves and now he has come right back to form, which earned him the reputation of being one of the cleverest inside forwards in Scotland. Shrewd and deceptive in his work he had the faculty for varying his tactics and passing to the best-positioned colleague. Well done Stevenson Everton, apparently have made another wise investment here. Everton were too good for the United who faded out after the first quarter of an hour. Outstanding Evertonians, in addition to those I have named, were Sagar, Williams, Cook, Britton and Stein.



March 28, 1934. Evening Express.

17-Year-old Gaint to Play For Reserves.

By the Pilot.

Six Feet 11 st 7lbs., 17 years of age. This describes Everton's latest acquisition, F. White, from Wolverhampton Amateurs. He is a highly promising goalkeeper and he makes his central League debut against Leeds United at Goodison Park on Friday. White played for the “A” team last Saturday and his brilliant play was mainly responsible for the 2-0 victory over Whiston. Another interesting feature about this game will be the return of Tommy White, the international to centre-half following injuries to his ankle. Since he was damaged in the game with Arsenal at Highbury on February 3 White has made only one appearance. That was at centre-forward against Leicester City on March 10.

The Everton directors have decided to play the eleven which so easily accounted for Sheffield United for their visit to Leeds United on Friday, and provided all the men come through without injury, the same players will make the journey to Wolverhampton on Saturday. Consequently Higham continues at centre-forward with Stevenson and Cunliffe as his inside partners, and Geldard and Stein on the wings. Everton will be anxious to keep up their consistent way form, which has resulted in only one league defeat this year. That was at Tottenham on March 3. The Blues have lost only two league games this year. The other was at home to Derby County when the Rams rattled home three goals without reply. Wolverhampton Wanderers will field the same team for the fifth week in succession. Everton; Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein. Wolverhampton –Wildman; Lowton, Shaw; Smalley, Nelson, Richards, Phillips, Beattie, Goldard, Jones Barraclough.

Everton Reserves; F. White; Jackson Jones; Clark, White (T.), Archer; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Leyfield, Coulter.

Everton “A” Programme.

Everton “A” team have three engagement over the holidays, including two matches on Monday against Liverpool “A” at Crosby on Friday the team will be; Deighton; T. O'Reilly, Morris; Birtley, Griffiths, Watson (T.); M. O'Reilly, Wilson, Webster, Watson (J.), King. King's a promising player from Earlestown. The team for the Challenge Cup Final against Whiston at Anfield on Monday morning will be; Deighton; Jackson, Morris; Birtley, Griffiths, Watson; O'Reilly, Wilson, Webster, Leyfield, Turner. Practically the same team will oppose Marine in the important County Combination match, at Crosby on Monday afternoon. The match will decide the leadership of the league.



March 29 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Everton's matches over the holidays are: -

Tomorrow v Leeds United, at Leeds.

Saturday v. Wolverhampton, at Wolverhampton.

Monday v. Leeds at Goodison Park 3.15.

Everton's team to meet Leeds tomorrow is: Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein. The Wolverhampton team against Everton on Saturday will be unchanged for the fifth match in succession namely; Wildman; Lowton, Shaw; Smalley, Nelson, Richards; Phillips, Beattie, Goddard, Jones, Barraclough.



March 29, 1934. Evening Express.

Everton Hope to Maintain Fine Away Record.

By the Pilot.

Everton, holding 11 th place in the First Division, have something to strive for over the week-end. No club in the League has lost fewer games than the Blues, and on their journeys to Leeds and Wolverhampton they will be out to maintain that record. They are faced with hard tasks, for Leeds have lost only three matches at Elland-road, and the Wolves have gone down only four times at the Molineux Grounds. Everton's away record is rather remarkable, for they have won three matches – at Stoke, Newcastle and Arsenal –and have drawn eight games. Since the beginning of 1934 they have lost only one League match away. That was at Tottenham, the scene of their F.A. cup fall. In meeting Leeds twice they have a fine opportunity of gaining some revenge for the “double” the United recorded against the Blues last Easter. Everton's young attackers under the leadership of the enthusiastic Higham, will make a stern bid to reverse the order this term, but the attackers will find themselves, opposed to one of the strongest defences in the land with such stalwarts as the brothers Milburn, Hart and Copping. The Blues will also be on an account-levelling expedition to Wolverhampton for the Wolves sprang a surprise on November 18, by visiting Goodison Park and winning by the odd goal in three. The team which defeated Sheffield United 4-0 will play in the first two matches. Everton: - Sagar; Williams Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, Stein.

•  Advertisement in Evening Express. Central League Match at Goodison Park (Good Friday, Everton v. Leeds United. Kick-off 3.15 Admission 6d, Boys 3d. Stands 9d. Including tax.

•  Central league Match at Goodison Park Saturday next Everton v. Stoke City. Kick off 3.15 Admission 6d, Boys 3d, Stands 9d, including tax.

•  League Match at Goodison Park, Easter Monday. Everton v. Leeds United Kick-off 3.15 Admission 1/- Boys 4d, Stands extra (including tax) Booked Seats, Sharp's Whitechapel.


LEEDS UNITED 2 EVERTON 2 (Game 1470 over-all)-(Div 1 1428)

March 31 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton In Dour Game.

“Cup-Tie” Football at Leeds.

Defensive Errors Lead to Goals.

By “Stork.”

A team visiting Elland Road must be prepared to fight every inch of the way. Leeds always play hard and no quarter is given and no quarter expected. This spirit up to a point rather spoiled the game with Everton, for their over eagerness their excesses robustness produced too many stoppages. That Everton took a point from Leeds United was a worthy effort. True, it was not until the dying minutes of the game that the equalising goal arrived, but if they had been beaten, as seemed highly probable two minutes from the end, it would have been unfortunate, for they were well worth a draw as they had played better football than their adversaries. It was a case of different styles; Everton with their intricate work –too intricate at times -and Leeds United with their long passes, and quick dashes. The United's style was just as effective as that of Everton, but not nearly so nice to watch. For twenty minutes Leeds set a terrific pace, and during that period their goalkeeper, Moore, had not one shot to deal with. As against that Sagar had a number of shots, and it was as well that from most of them the ball was levelled straight at him. They got one goal at the end of their hectic spell, but the cheers, had hardly died away when Everton had equalised.

Opening Goal.

Leeds United's opening goal came through Cook misjudging the flight of the ball, and found it going over his head. Firth and Dutton dashed after it, and although Williams had cut across Dutton was able to shoot into the net from a difficult angle, Everton's goal also came through a defensive error. G. Milburn tried to back-heel the ball out of play, instead of which he sent it to Stevenson. This player worked his way forward, pushed the ball inward to Stein, who sent it straight across the goalmouth. Cunliffe therefore, had an easy task to tap it into the net. At this point Everton seemed to have got the measure of their opponents, and their right wing in particular gave Copping and the Milburn brothers a difficulty time. Copping's tactics in his effort to break up the Britton, Cunliffe and Geldard wing were but good. J. Milburn occasionally rushed in, but Geldard neatly side-stopped him or jumped over his legs and Higham was unfortunate in not turning a square pass of Geldard's beyond the goalkeeper. He was only a fraction of a second late. Then Higham headed to the woodwork and later Stevenson rushed up to make a great header, the ball just going over the bar. The scores were level at the interval.

Sagar's Error.

The battle was restarted snow, and Leeds again called the tune for some minute, but Everton gradually came into the game, and it was bad fortune when Leeds took a leading goal at the hour. That goal should never have been scored. It resulted from a mistake by Sagar. G. Milburn took a free kick. The ball went scaring into the goalmouth. Williams was standing ready to head it away, and was about to do so when he head Sagar about “Right” Williams “ducked” and Sagar caught the ball, but released it almost immediately, and before he could recover Dutton had it in the net. Everton set out to retrieve that loss, and with two minutes to go Leeds defence lapsed, J. Milburn kicked round a ball that bounced awkwardly, and Higham nipped in and shot. Moore was much, too late for the ball, and although he got both hands so it only helped it into his net. The goalkeeper was unsighted and had expected Milburn to kick clear. It was a desperate game. In fact, it was more like a cup-tie. Geldard was in fine form, as was Cunliffe, but Higham had little chance against Hart, one of the best players on the field. Stevenson opened well, but later found his schemes coming undone. Britton improved late on, and the same remark applies to Cook. Williams was steady, and Sagar never faulted only to the occasion when Leeds got their first goal. Thomson played a dour sort of game. Gee worked hard down the middle, but was not so good with his constructional play as usual . Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams, and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Higham, Stevenson, and Stein, forwards. Leeds United: - Moore, goal; Milburn (G.), and Milburn (J.), backs; Hornby, Hart and Copping, half-backs; Mahon, Firth, Duggan, Furness, and Cochrane forwards. Referee Mr. A.H. Adams, Nottingham.



March 31, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 35)

That Everton experienced no great difficulty in defeating Leeds was in the main due to the brilliant first half constructive play of the Goodison intermediate line –Clark, White, and Archer. This trio schemed and worked so effectively, that the United attacks were constantly thrown out of gear, and in consequence Everton monoplised the pressure, White invarably being the initiator of endeavours that should have resulted in Everton topping the half dozen. The victors were always the better tacticians –even if many scoring chances were not accepted –and although Leeds made a stern second half fight their scoring opportunities were few by comparison to Everton's. Potts (in goal), Spellman, Abel and Bailey did heroic work in the Yorkshire defence, and Jackson is rapidly gaining experience and ability as an Everton full back. Leyfield opened the score, and Dean, who played a good game and made many openings, added a brilliant second while further goals came from Dunn and Dean. The new keeper F. King, was not seriously tested. Everton: - White (F.) goal; Jackson (G.) and Jones (J.E.), backs; Clark (A.), White (T.C.), and Archer (J.), half-backs; Critchley (C), Dunn (J.), Dean (W.R.), Leyfield (C.), and Coulter (J.), forwards.

Everton “A” 2 Liverpool “A” 1

Liverpool County Combination.

At Crosby. Everton strengthened their position at the head of the League as the result of their well-earned victory. There was no score in the first half. Liverpool took the lead 15 minutes after the interval through Ashcroft, who shot strongly the ball travelling between the legs of Deighton, who appeared to have the ball well covered. Everton fought strongly, and Webster levelled the scores. Five minutes from the end Watson (J.), scored a brilliant goal for Everton with a shot from 25 yards. Birtley, Griffiths, Watson (T.), and Webster played well for Everton and Dewar McCarthy, Deacon, and Ashcroft were Liverpool's best.



March 31, 1934. Liverpool Echo.

By the Stork.

It takes a big man to admit a mistake They have excuses in plenty, but few come right out into the open and say “It was my fault.” Therefore Sagar, the Everton goalkeeper, is to be commended for his sportsmanlike action in saying “Don't blame anyone else. It was all my fault.” He made this statement over the scoring of Leeds' scored goal, when G. Milburn swept a free kick into the Everton goalmouth, Williams was standing ready for duty, but upon hearing Sagar's call “Right” promptly stooped down and allowed his goalkeeper to take the ball. Sagar took it, lost it and the result was a goal. That goal looked like carrying the day, but another defensive error game along to balance matters for if J. Milburn had not kicked under the ball Higham would never have had the chance to shoot. Moore connected with the ball, but it was obvious to all that he must have been unsighted for he started much too late for the ball. Any side visiting Elland-road must be prepared to “rough it,” for Leeds United are a robust lot, who stand not on ceremony but on the order of the day, the saving of their goal. Copping has always appeared to me as a player but yesterday he produced so many fouls against Britton, Geldard and Cunliffe that he fell considerably in my estimation. Then there are the Milburn brothers. There is no finesse about them; they are there to get the ball away from the goal area, and how well they do it. Anywhere, anyhow, so long as the ball is driven upfield. Yet when they are beaten has silly they look. Geldard gave J. Milburn a sorry time leaving him standing looking on, unable to do anything. Everton were undoubtedly the better craftsmen. Sometimes their intricacies led to their own undoing, but they were well worth a half share of the spoils.



March 31 1934. Evening Express.

Everton did well to earn a point at Elland-road against Leeds United. Defensive blunders on both sides cost two goals. After Duggan had scored for Leeds, and Cunliffe had equalised from Stein's centre Sagar came out and lost possession of the ball, so that Duggan could score. Milburn failed to clear in front of goal and Higham was able to score. Leeds splayed fine football early on, but Everton fought back well.

•  Advertisement in Evening Express. League Match at Goodison Park, Easter Monday. Everton v. Leeds United Kick-off 3.15 Admission 1/- Boys 4d, Stands extra (including tax) Booked Seats, Sharp's Whitechapel.



March 31, 1934. Liverpool Football Echo.

Jones Accepts Easter Gift Goal.

Sagar Stops Penalty.

By Bee.

Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe Higham, Stevenson, and Stein, forwards. Wolverampton Wanderers: - Wildman, goal; Lowton and Shaw, backs; Smalley, Nelson and Richards, half-backs; Phillips, Beattie, Goddard, Jones, and Barraclough, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Milward, Derby. A sunny day, and 28,000 spectators, Everton won the toss, and had an unchanged side. They began with some neat triangular work on the left flank, Higham making a hook pass of much merit, and Stevenson using the ball to advantage and being a fascinating though the smallest figure in the game. Everton shot from unusually long distances. Higham began with one ball just over the bar, and later Stephenson, from a surprise distance shot perfectly, and Williams was surprised and finally pleased to see the ball go over the bar. Stein followed in similar strain, having coming inside to the spot at which Stevenson had operated, and again there was no result to the effort well-directed and fast through the ball sped –just over the crossbar.

Missed From A Penalty.

Goddard produced Wolves' danger, anally gave himself the dummy, and the Wolves were on the attack again when Thompson leaded out for safety. Sagar made three thumps away, and then had to face a penalty kick for hands against Britton. Everton mildly contested the decision, and undoubtedly the referee had his face to Britton's back, but nothing came of the affair, because Lowton, who has not missed a spot kick this season, now drove straight at the goalkeeper, and was unable to reach the rebound. Everton again escaped when Beattie escaped a charge and unselfishly squared the ball for Goddard or Jones, for neither took the gilt-edged chance, and after Cook had made some excellent lunges and Geldard had been rightly annoyed with Richards for a knee injury, Barraclough raided on the left and the ball struck the referee, making a perfect “Easter egg grit” for Jones, who shot into the right hand corner. Sagar, naturally surprised, making no effort to clear a shot well wide of his hands.

Uncommon Feature

It is an uncommon feature of football to find a goal scored direct from a ball travelling from the referee's body. Jones came near making it two after twenty-six minutes, and Everton's defence was struggling and stagging. Williams being outpaced and short with his clearances. Wolverhampton had smart attackers in Barraclough and Beattie, and apart for Cunliffe's back headers against a tall Nelson the Everton side had considerably slumped in the last quarter of an hour after a particularly bright opening on their part. Goddard centred the ball across the goalmouth for anyone prepared to accept a grit, but no one was up. Williams saved a goal by smothering a shot from Jones, and later Wolverhampton claimed a second penalty for a sharp tackle by Williams. There was some spirit in the game, notably when the sturdy Cook and Williams found themselves “bumped off.” Geldard hugged the line a good deal and the left wing was practically unemployed. Higham found Nelson twice as tall as himself and awkward. Half-time Wolves 1 Everton 0

In the second half the game went out of Everton's favour in a multitude of ways, yet one to respect the work of Beattle and Jones as inside forwards. The Everton attack, however could not get going, and after Cook had miskicked Barraclough had a drive saved cleverly by Sagar, and Goddard pitched away a first class chance which was perhaps poetic justice because a flagrant mistake had been made in regard to a throw in immediately before

Cunliffe Hits Upright.

Everton nearest approach to an equaliser came when there was a free kick for a foul on Cunliffe. Some idea of this free kick can be estimated when I tell you that both Thomson and other Everton players walked away, believing it was a foul against Everton. Williams took the kick, and after Stein had headed into goal and Wildman had missed his was with his thump, Cunliffe headed the ball on to the upright. There followed a rather inspire finish by Stein and then Cook made a supreme effort to stop Phillips being dangerous and the outcome was a jarred knee for Cook, who resumed at full back for a moment only and finished the game at outside left, Stein becoming full back. There was another stoppage when Sagar and Phillips crashed into each other, the latter being the more severely injured, but being able to resume. The game had a cricket atmosphere owing to the summery weather and the sunshine, but the crowd was awakened by a save by Sagar, the shooter being Beattie.

The Second Point.

There was a claim against Everton for a penalty for hands when Goddard had beaten the goalkeeper with a header, but the referee said no. However Goddard scored with a header, the ball passing off Stein's head to make the score 2-0, and had Goddard and his mates been anything like competent to finish off further attacks the score would have been much larger. Gee pitched into the crowd through overrunning the touchline, but was unhurt. Williams did his best when the call was most imperative after Cook had been hurt. Final Wolverhampton 2 Everton 0.



March 31, 1934. Evening Express.

Wanderers Clear Winners.

By the Pilot.

Everton came through the Leeds game, without injury and fielded the same side at Wolverhampton. About 25,000 spectators saw the opening. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Williams and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe Higham, Stevenson, and Stein, forwards. Wolverampton Wanderers: - Wildman, goal; Lowton and Shaw, backs; Smalley, Nelson and Richards, half-backs; Phillips, Beattie, Goddard, Jones, and Barraclough, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Milward, (Derby). Everton had to face a strong sun at the outset, and after developments on the Blues left wing, Cunliffe slipped through with a body swerve and choice dribbling, and shot just by the post. Everton played pretty football, but rather too close on occasion. The inside forwards revealed perfect combination. Higham got through, but shot over the top. Phillips nipped through when Everton were appealing for offside and turned a shot by the post. Stevenson shone with a brilliant distant shot Wildman having to be quick to turn the Irishman's shot over the bar.

Lowton's Lapse.

Lowton; one of the champion penalty takers in the game, made his first lapse this season after 12 minutes. Phillips had forced two corners in succession, and Sagar had been busy fisting away from a lively Wolverhampton forwards, when the ball swept out towards Britton. Britton ran across to clear, but tapped the ball along with his arm, and the referee awarded a penalty. Lowton's shot was hard enough and went to Sagar's left, but the goalkeper beat the ball away, and Williams was there to prevent Lowton having a second bite at the cherry. Everton had a remarkable escape when Beattie dribbled through surviving a tackle by Gee, and slipped a long a delicious pass in front of goal. Goddard had run too far forward, and Barraclough was too slow to take advantage.

Wolves Lead.

Wolverhampton took the lead in 25 minutes, through Jones. Goddard and Barraclough had got Everton on the run, and for the second time Cook was not sure with his clearance kick. The ball was running to safety, however, when it struck the referee's legs and rebounded for Jones to snap it up and drive through a bunch of players into the net. A lucky goal this. Just after Jones came again with a lovely drive but this time it swept across the face of the goal. Everton's defence was not showing up in a good light, there being poor positional play on many occasions. Wildman had not touched the ball for 20 minutes on end Everton making the mistake of neglecting their wingers and playing too much down the middle, into the hands of Nelson.


The Wolves were inclined to over-elaborate in front of goal, and this often enabled the Blues to recover when matters were looking black. Jones was shaping for a shot when Williams tackled him strongly, and the referee turned down a penalty claim. Everton had given a disappointing display after a bright opening.

Half-time; Wolves 1 Everton 1

Everton went near on resuming when following a free kick taken by Williams, Wildman missed the ball. Stein headed it back across the goal and Cunliffe's quick header came back off the bar. The Wolves were allowed to get away from a throw-in, which should have gone to the other side, and Goddard crashed a terrific shot nearly to the top of the kop. Cook was injured on his left knee when tackling Phillips and went off for a spell Stein deputising at back during his absence. Everton were giving little indication of being able to pull this game out of the fire. Their display was disappointing. Cook now went outside-left Stein dropping back. Sagar came out to a centre from Phillips, but Goddard nipped up and headed in a ball that was running to the net. Stein doubled back, knocked the ball down with his hand as it was crossing the line and cleared. The referee refused the penalty claim.

Wolves' Second Goal.

Goddard had better luck with his next header for it brought the Wolves' second goal. Barraclough really trapped a flying kick from Williams, eluded Britton, and placed to the goal mouth, Goddard headed in sharply and Stein dashed across in the hope of saving touched the ball and diverted it out of Sagar's reach. Goddard broke through when Williams miskicked, but in trying to hook the ball over Sagar's head, dropped it behind. Everton were completely outplayed, and they have not played such ineffective football in any game this season. Everton had a free kick on the edge of the penalty area, Higham placing high over. Final Wolverhampton 2 Everton 0.



March 31 1934. Evening Express, Football Edition.

Stoke had a long spell of attack at the beginning and the Everton defenders had great difficulty in getting the ball to safety. McCardle was unfortunate with a shot, which hit the bar and passed over. Another good effort by Curtis was only inches out of goal. Everton's first advance through Coulter was dangerous, and Lewis had to punch away. As the game progressed Everton improved and took the lead when a shot by Leyfield was deflected into the net by Dean. Frequently offside decision s prevented Everton making further headway. McGourty made a long-range effort, which swung outside. Near the interval Everton scored a second through Leyfield, the ball going into the net off the post. Half-time Everton Res 2 Stoke Res 0. In the second half Dean headed a brilliant third goal for Everton, while McArdle scored for Stoke. McGourty scored a fourth goal for Everton. Final Everton Res 4, Stoke City Res 1



March 1934