Everton Independent Research Data


March 1, 1941. The Evening Express.
By Pilots.
It is probable that a new date will have to be arranged for Everton’s North regional game with Liverpool at Goodison Park. It was fixed originally for Boxing Day, but all football for that day was cancelled. The teams met at Anfield and Goodison Park in the Lancashire Cup and then they agreed to play a League game at Goodison Park on March 15. So far so good, but now Everton have a chance of making further progress in the League War cup. If they do beat Southport they will be engaged in the Cup third round on March 15, and so another date will have to be fixed. There is no doubt that the clubs will be able to find a vacant Saturday later in the season. I hope they do. It would be a shame were one of these interesting “Derby” games to be lost. Up to now they have met four times this season, resulting in three wing to Everton against Liverpool’s one. Everton, if and when they lose interest in the League Cup, also have to arrange their Lancashire Cup game with Burnley.
Kiddies’ Treat.
It is good to know that despite the war Everton Football Club Shareholders Association is carrying on with its annual treat to poor children of Liverpool. Funds are collected throughout the year through the agency of a “bun penny scheme.” –and the members are nothing if not zealous in their efforts to bring the pennies in. They now have approximately £60 in hand, and Councillors R.E. Searle when besides being a prime mover in the Association, is also Conservative for the Walton ward on the City Council, states that he has made provisional arrangements to send 100 poor children to Dyscrth for a week’s holiday in the summer. That is at the expense of the Everton F.C. Association. In addition he has also made provisional arrangements for a similar holiday for a further 100 poor children in connection with Walton Conservative Club. Great work –and if you find you have any bun pennies you can give them to the Association. They will be used in a fine cause.

March 1, 1941, The Evening Express.
Lawton Opens Scoring
By Pilot.
Boyes, Everton’s international outside-left, did not arrive in time to as sit the Blues against Southampton, in the League War Cup Second Round tie at Goodison Park, today. His place was taken by Duggie Trentham, who was making his first appearance for some time. Southport, in their new green and white jerseys, brought plenty of supporters, headed by the Mayor. Everton; Sagar, (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Jones (Jack), half-backs; Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson and Trentham, forwards. Southport:- Jones, goal (Bob), goal; Little and Grainger (J), backs; Bradford, Harrison, and Newcombe, half-backs; Grainger (D), Johnson, Curran, Hunter, and Howard, forwards. Referee Mr. P. Snape (Manchester). Everton were a goal up in six minutes and from the opening whistle this score had always been promised. Everton opened with supreme confidence, and they kept the Southport defence fully extended by the neatness of their approaches. There were few shots forthcoming, in fact it was the first direct scoring attempts that brought the goal. It followed closely on Bentham’s corner and Catterick pushed a neat pass, through for Lawton to place it first time into the near corner of the net with his right foot. Newcomb took the eye with some neat interventions and the persistency with which he tried to get the Hunter-Grainger wing functioning. Sagar twice had to come out to cut out passes and Stevenson delighted 5,000 spectators with the neatiness of his dribbling.
Second for Lawton.
Sagar had to dash out to hold up Curran, but Everton increased their lead through Lawton in 22 minutes. This was the outcome of some precise triangular work between Catterick, Mercer and Bentham. When Bentham centred, Lawton was there to head the ball over Bobby Jones into the net as he came in collision with the goalkeeper. Jones was able to resume after attention. Everton made it three in 24 minutes, Tom Jones drove the ball well up the middle and Harrison, in trying to head away, put the ball back towards his own goal. This deceived Bob Jones, who was advancing, and Catterick had nothing to do but run on and tap the ball over the line. Southport battled back spiritedly and Sagar had to save from Johnson. Southport were quick on the ball but they lacked Everton’s accuracy in combination. Southport were providing strong opposition and their defence was performing with marked credit.

March 1, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Lawton Scorers Twice
Catterick Goal
By Stork.
Everton; Sagar, (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Jones (Jack), half-backs; Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson and Trentham, forwards. Southport:- Jones, goal (Bob), goal; Little and Grainger (J), backs; Bradford, Harrison, and Newcombe, half-backs; Grainger (D), Johnson, Curran, Hunter, and Howard, forwards. Referee Mr. P. Snape (Manchester). Both teams made one change Trentham, who has not played for the club for many a month, came in for Boyes, and Hunter deputised for Ottewell in the Southport side. Southport had a bright idea – their green and white –and it looked really nice. Everton started off as though they meant business, and Mercer ran through to drop in a centre, which however, went behind. But they were soon at it again, and a Mercer pass to Bentham was only spoiled by an offside decision which in my opinion, was not quite just. Jones (JE) stopped a forward movement by Southport, and his namesake, T.G., once put the ball back calmly to Sagar, to be sure there would be no further danger. Catterick tried a mighly blow but the ball rattled up against Harrison’s body. Mercer was in one of his most lively moods, and once again opened the way to a concerted onslaught, and in five minutes Everton had scored through Lawton, Mercer, and Bentham outwitted the Southport defence and when the ball came over to Lawton the England leader hit it first time and the ball sped low down into the Southport net. Bentham and Catterick dovetailed with rare effect. They changed places a la Preston North End, and this often upset the Southport defence.
Lawton’s Second
Everton had such a tight hold on the Southport forwards that the latter rarely worked to within striking distance of the Everton goalkeeper. Once or twice they did threaten to break through, but the Everton cover was so solid that they never did. Everton played grand football, passing quickly and accurately, and that they did not go further ahead was due in the main to the solid front Southport put against them. T nineteen minutes, Lawton headed a second goal, and three minutes later a mistake by the Southport defence ended in Catterick scoring a third. The cause of the Southport trouble was that their defences was too much concerned with keeping their eyes on Lawton. Catterick played another of his crack drives which was heading straight for its billet until a Southport defender got in the line of flight. Southport’s first shot followed this and Johnson’s drive was taken too far out to be really effective against a goalkeeper of Sagar’s standard.

March 3, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 5, Southport 0
Southport Lose by Five Goals.
By Stoke.
Everton had a comfortable passage in the first leg of their Cup double with Southport at Goodison Park. They won 5-0-at night, have been more and should have been more, for Everton were much the better side. Everton took a lead in the first five minutes and were soon three goals ahead, a handicap which Southport never promised to overcome. The visitors tried desperately hard, but were outclassed, and had Everton pressed their causes they might have run up double figures. It would seen that Everton are safely in the next round, the third for unless Southport can produce something entirely different at Haig Avenue next week they can have little hope of wiping out a five goal deficit. In recent weeks Everton have been uncommonly slow to start but on this occasion they grit on with the business straight away and had Southport battened down so tightly that Sagar was practically without work throughout the game. Apart from one or two long shots by the Southport forwards the Everton goal was never in any danger and Everton were playing with such ease and grace that the game became somewhat immotouous because of its one sideiness. Lawton started the scoring in five minutes, he got a second not long afterwards and Catterick put on a third within a minute or two; while almost at the interval Catterick with a surprise shot from thirty yards almost caught the Southport goalkeeper napping, the ball just grazing the topside of the crossbar.
Powerful Defence.
Southport showed more penetration in the second half without however, causing Sagar any serious trouble, and when Catterick scored after goalkeeper Jones had misjudged the flight of a Greenhalgh free kick, from which the ball bounded from his legs, Everton travelled along in full knowledge that the game was won. T.G. Jones ran into the goalmouth whenever corners were taken and at long last, got a Bentham centre and headed the fifth goal. Try as they would the Southport attack could not break down the all-powerful Everton defence. T.G. Jones was the rock on which the Southport ship spirit itself and on the few occasions that Jones was beaten Greenhalgh, Cook, Mercer, and J.E. Jones stood solid, I thought Lawton had one of his best games, he was certainly the most unselfish player on the field, for twice he tried to give Stevenson a goal when I feel certain he could have scored himself. Southport’s best were Newcomb, who are a worker all the time, and Harrison, the centre half, but taken throughout the Southport side was out manoeuvred. Everton; Sagar, (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Jones (Jack), half-backs; Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson and Trentham, forwards. Southport:- Jones, goal (Bob), goal; Little and Grainger (J), backs; Bradford, Harrison, and Newcombe, half-backs; Grainger (D), Johnson, Curran, Hunter, and Howard, forwards. Referee Mr. P. Snape (Manchester).The attendance was 5,689, and the gate receipts £297.

March 3, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Following a goalless first half, Liverpool triumphed in the George Mahon Cup. Thompson making his debut for the Evertonians in goal, gave a convincing display and could not be blamed. Yaxan kept a sage goal, ably supported by Seddon and Rafferty, Pickstock, Kay, Fazackerley and Owns scored for Liverpool, and Powell and James replied.

March 3, 1941. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Everton were always in command of their tie with Southport, and while over-eagerness deprived Southport of goals early in the second half, the Blues have scored more than five had they shot more accurately. Still, they accomplished more than enough and the players, as well as 5,689 spectators, who paid £297 6s, enjoyed the fun of those efforts to give Stevie” a goal. Everton were the complete football side from goal to centre-forward, and always had something in hand. The brilliance of the half back line with jack Jones showing tremendous improvement at left half –constituted the foundation of a fine soccer machine. The forwards were always moving to the vital open spaces –and what is more important were rewarded for their cuteness by receiving the correct working materials. The defence too, excelled in its positional interpretation, Willie Cook, for instance, was never an inch out of position –a grand exposition of accuracy in defensive play. Catterick again proved his extreme value. This lad is playing splendidly. Truth is this was a team win in all respects. Praises to a galliant Southport for their ability to keep interest fully alive despite the goals against. The defence was grand, Harrison, Little, and Grainger (J) were magnificent, while Newcomb was a real inspiration. Curran and Johnson took forward honours, but the attack did not function well. Lawton (2), Catterick (2), and Tom Jones did the necessary to give Everton their goals advantage for what looks like being a grand struggle at Haig-Avenue on Saturday. Billy Dean and Frank King, two former Everton players were among the spectators. Dean is now a lance-corporal in the Army and King is a policeman at Southport.

March 3, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Though they fought desperately Southport were never in the hunt against their more experienced and better balanced opponents. Certainly there was a kind of luck about a couple of Everton’s goal, which Jones –obviously out of practice –ought to have saved, but against that was the fact that after the first half hour or so Everton cruised along a half-speed and didn’t try to rub it in. Apart from Trentham, who didn’t come up to his pre-war performance on the left wing, every Everton man played well. Catterick once more confirmed what I have aid previously as to his value at inside right or left and got two goals to back it up, and with Bentham a district success at outside right –he was the initiator of both Lawton’s goal –it looks as through Everton at long last have solved on of their wing problems. For the losers Newcombe was the best half with Harrison not far behind, and Grainger the best of the disjointed forward line in which Johnson worked hard without much success.

March 4, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log.
It did not take Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton, long to make his team selection for Saturday’s League War Cup second round tie against Southport at Haig-Avenue. This is the second “leg” of the tie and the Blues hole a lead of three goals. Mr. Kelly is persevering with his Bentham-Catterick right wing of attack, and the only change will be the return of Wally Boyes, the English international outside-left as partner to Stevenson in place of Duggie Trentham. It is expected that Boyes –unable to get away for last Saturday’s game –will receive the necessary permission this time. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Jones (jack); Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

March 4, 1930. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For their return Cup-tie at Southport-Everton have Boyes back at outside left in place of Trentham, the only chance from the side which last Saturday won the first of the two games. Team;- Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Jones (jack); Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

March 6, 1941. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Everton will give a trial to another young goalkeeper in their George Mahon cup-tie against Marine at Goodison Park on Saturday at 3p.m. He is Johnson, a 17-year-old lad from Northwich, who has been recommended by the “A” team centre forward, Jack Powell. The Blues “A” team will include no fewer than five players who have assisted the first team this season. –Wyles, Finnis, Watson, Simmons, and Owen. Everton “A” (from); Johnson; Wyles, Ireland, Dugdale; Atkins, Finnis, Watson; Sumer, Lindeman, Simmons, Powell, Owen, Bailey.

March 7, 1941,
Pilot’s notes
Everton have such an excellent defence, that I do not think Southport have much hopes of winning out the deficit. True, they held Liverpool there a fortnight ago, and earlier in the season held Everton to a single goal win on the same ground. The Sandgrounders will be all out to prove that their cup win over Liverpool was no fluke, but in addition to having a grand defence the Blues have the forwards who can crown accurate approach with accuracy in finish. Southport will have the aid of Ellis Rimmer, the former England player, but they will need to shoot better than at Goodison if they are to retain interest in the competition. Boyes returns to an Everton team which should have little difficulty in passing onwards. Southport however, should have compensation in their best “gate” of the season. Everton are taking all their stars along. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Jones (jack); Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
• Merseyside is to stage a big international football game in the near future in aid of Lord Mayor of Liverpool’s War Fund and organised by Mr. W.C Cuff, president of the Football league and vice president of the Football Association. Everton Football Club have already offered to place Goodison Park at the disposal of Mr. Cuff, who is to bring the matter before the Football League, to see whether the League will sponsor the match.

March 7, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With a deficit of five goals against them, the chance of Southport against Everton seem very slender in his second leg of the War Cup. Ground advantage is of little consequence when a team starts under such disamity, and though Southport mean to make a fight for it, and will turn out the strongest possible side –including Ellis Rimmer –the result seems rather a foregone conclusion. All the same the local folk will no doubt turn up in good numbers, for Everton are an attraction no matter what the circumstances, and Southport followers can rely on. The visiting side will have eight international and an inter-league player (Greenhalgh) a galaxy of talent which isn’t often seen at Haig Avenue. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Jones (JE); Catterick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

March 8, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Once upon a time Everton could now win matches away from home. From the start of season 1935-36 to the end of season 1937-38, the Blues won only eight away League games. They registered only one away success in 1935-36. In the summer of 1938 the team went to Glasgow to participate in the Empire Tournament and were unfortunate not to win it. They were beaten 1-0 in the final, with Cunliffe so badly injured that he could only hobble along. That tournament, however, marked the turning point for the Blues, for they became a team which could win away as easily as at home. In 1938-39, they won ten away games and won at Aston Villa in the short League programme, just before the outbreak of war. Last season they won four away games, and have won six away senior games to date, making a total of 21, League games won since the Glasgow trip –and we must not forget that great cup win at Derby in the last full season played. That Glasgow tournament certainly eradicated that “we can’t win away” trait in Everton, and in addition set them on the road to the championship. Mr. George Evans, the Everton director, referred to this point when we were chatting last week, and asked me to give the exact figures.

March 8, 1941. The Evening Express.
More Goals for Lawton.
By Pilot.
Tommy Lawton, Everton’s international centre forward, goes to back South of England on Tuesday, and may not be available for some weeks, Tommy Jones, their international centre half, enlisted in the Royal Air Force on Wednesday. Everton were at Haig-Avenue in the League War Cup second round today, holding a five goal lead, Lyon appeared at outside left, for Boyes. Southport had two debutants in Ellis Rimmer and Finch of Preston North End, and Stevenson (H) was in goal for Jones. Everton; Sagar (captain) goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Jones (Jack), half-backs; Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Southport:- Stevenson (H), goal; Little and Grainger (j), backs; Bradford, Harrison and Finch (Preston NE), half-backs; Grainger (D), Johnson, Curran, Harker and Rimmer (Preston NE), forwards. Referee; Mr. P. Snape (Swindon). Everton might easily have increased their lead in the first two minutes, but Catterick got too far under the ball as he tried to hook it through from Lawton’s pass. The Southport forwards were revealing much more understanding than at Goodison Park, and Sagar had to make a quick leap to pull down a splendid header from Rimmer. When the ball was pushed through for Curran there was a misunderstanding between Sagar and Tom Jones, and this produced a corner for Southport.
Lawton’s Goal.
In ten minutes Everton took the lead to make it six up on the aggregate. Lawton being the scorer. From a close up free kick Greenhalgh placed by the goalmouth, and Lawton glided the ball into the corner of the net in a trice. Sagar caught Grainger’s centre right under the bar and avoided Curran’s lively challenge. Lawton hooked over the top after excellent progress by Stevenson, and Lyon, but in 17 minutes Lawton increased Everton’s lead when he accepted a perfect low back pass from Lyon, who had run to the goalmouth and gave Stevenson (H) no chance with his right foot shot.

March 8, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Lawton Nods An early One
Southport In Do-Or-Die Mood
By Stork.
Tommy Lawton leaves for Aldershot on Tuesday, and is not likely to be available for Everton again this season. This is a big blow in view of the cup-ties, but on top of it comes the news that Tommy Jones has signed for the Air Force and expects to be called up any day now. Fortunately Everton have a wealth of reserve talent. There was only a meagre crowd at Haig Avenue. Everton with a five goal lead, could consider themselves through to the next round. Everton; Sagar (captain) goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Jones (Jack), half-backs; Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Southport: - Stevenson (H), goal; Little and Grainger (j), backs; Bradford, Harrison and Finch (Preston NE), half-backs; Grainger (D), Johnson, Curran, Harker and Rimmer (Preston NE), forwards. Referee; Mr. P. Snape (Swindon). Everton opened in their usual manner with fast and clever football, but not to be outdone Southport replied in similar vein and they almost got a goal when the Everton defence became a trifle muddled. At ten minutes a free kick proved fatal to Southport, for Greenhalgh placed the ball perfectly into the goalmouth and Lawton got his head to the ball to turn it into the net.
Another For Lawton.
D. Grainger and Ellis Rimmer tested the Everton goalkeeper, but it was not long before Everton were back in the Southport territory. Stevenson and Lyon got together with a solo effort which resulted in Lawton accepting Lyon’s back-pass and slamming it fast and true into the Southport net after 17 minutes. This gave Everton an aggregate of eight goals lead –an almost impossible position for Southport, who, however, never gave up Sagar had to make a sparkling save from Curran. Stevenson was twice offered comparatively easy chance by his colleagues but shot over the bar, and when Lawton dashed in to accept another Lyon cross the centre forward could not get direction with his outstretched leg. The Southport supporters were seeing some good football and they heaved yet another sigh of relief when Stevenson, clean through, half-hit his shot, which went slowly past the upright. Lawton scored a third for Everton at 37 minutes.

March 10, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Southport 0, Everton 5
Southport Again Mastered
By Stork.
Southport fared no better in their home game with Everton than they had done at Goodison Park a week previously, for they were beaten by the same scored (5-0), which made Everton winners of the tie by an aggregate of 10 goals to nothing. It was apparent that Southport had little or no chance in the second leg of their League Cup tie, for Everton armed with a five goal lead, started off in a most business like fashion, and had Catterick taken a simple chance, Everton would have scored almost in the first minute. Southport tried to make a leaf out of Everton’s book and relied on good class combination to pull them through, and, let me say they produced many smash rounds of passing, but usually fell easy prey to the staunch Everton defence, while their own defence was being clamped down by the up and doing Everton forwards. Harker almost caught Everton napping when for once in a while that defence got somewhat muddled and only extricated itself after a tense moment.
A Great Goal.
From then on Everton jot trotted their way through Southport’s defence and Lawton scored four goals before the interval, the last one from the penalty spot. His first goal was a masterpiece of judgement. He hardly seemed to touch Greenhalgh’s free kick with his head, but the slight deflection did just enough to put the Southport goalkeeper out of position. It was a glorious goal, but no better than the second. He took a pass from Lyon, who had a great game, and had the ball in the back of the net with a perfect low drive. Lyon’s display on the wing was an eye opener. Stevenson gave him every encouragement with judicious passes and the boy responded well. He seems to have found his true niche on the wing, where he did not get the buffeting to which an inside forward is subjected. Mercer paved the way to Lawton’s third goal, and then came the penalty. Southport’s debutant goalkeeper held Lyon by the leg as the winger was cutting into goal and a spot kick was inevitable. Stevenson had no chance with this free kick. With nine goals in hand it was only natural that Everton would take matters calmly in the second half. They made an exhibition of the game and treated the Southport spectators to some high-class football. Lawton and Mercer netted again, only to have their goals disallowed on the score of offside, while Lyon struck the cross bar a great blow. But at last Bentham but through the Southport defence to mark up goal No.5. Lawton tried all he knew to gave Stevenson a goal, and the Irishman had some simple chances only to flaff them all. Nevertheless he played grand football, and so, for that matter did the Bentham-Catterick wing. In fact, the Everton team as a whole was much superior to that of Southport. The Haig Avenue club had Ellis Rimmer at outset left, but like his colleagues, he rarely got an opportunity to show his true worth. Curran and D. Grainger tested Sagar, who, however, had a simple task in the Everton goal, due to the sound display of his nearly defenders in which T. Jones stood out amongst three fine half-backs. Lawton is leaving for the South tomorrow, and may not be available for Everton for some time, while T.G. Jones, the centre half, has joined the R.A.F., and expects to receive the call any day now. To have such two brilliant players called away is a heavy blow to Everton, especially so in view of their forthcoming cup-ties. Everton; Sagar (captain) goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Jones (Jack), half-backs; Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Southport:- Stevenson (H), goal; Little and Grainger (j), backs; Bradford, Harrison and Finch (Preston NE), half-backs; Grainger (D), Johnson, Curran, Harker and Rimmer (Preston NE), forwards. Referee; Mr. P. Snape (Swindon). The Attendance was 3,000 and the receipts £140.

March 10, 1941. Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
The feature of Everton’s win at Southport watched by Chairman Mr. Will Gibbins. Directors Mr. Andrew Coffey, now recovered from his indisposition and a host of loyal followers –was the brilliance of 17-year-old Jack Lyon, playing at outside left for Boyes. I spoke to Harry Lowe, the former Everton and Preston back and now working back home in his native Skelmersdale, after the game, and he was loud in his praise of Lyon. Lyon was the epitome of correctness in his work. On the wing he found he had plenty of room in which to operate, and his mastery of the ball was a treat to watch. He revealed trickery and yet the brains to content himself with beating only one man and then making his pass. Lawton, of course, was the big man of attack and helped himself to all four first half goals, and Stan Bentham crowned a dazzling period with the final goal. The Everton defence and half-backs were immediate, with Jack Jones making further improvement as a wing half. As a combination the Blues were always superior to Southport. But the “port operated with greater grace and understanding than at Goodison Park. Their forwards made ground in highly attractive style on occasion, but again lacked finish. Dennis Grainger and Harker were the pick, while the defence, with Harrison outstanding struggled manfully to stem a relentless Everton forward tide. And here is tribute to both side –there were only three infringement in the game.
The Northwich boy, Johnson made an impressive debut for Everton “A” against Marine at Goodison Park on Saturday, when Everton won 4-2. The Blues officials were delighted with him.

March 10, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
Everton for the second week in success showed Southport how easy it was to play successive football in their second “leg” of their tie at Haig Avenue and play it without stressing and straining. The game was fast as one-sided as it was at Goodison Park, and had not Everton slowed down to half speed in the second half they would have scored more than the five goals, which brought their aggregate for the two games up to 10-0. With nine goals lead there was no desire on their part to thrash the life out of their opponents, who stood up gallantly to their gruelling Everton, I am certain decided to make the second half an exhibition, and even then there were opportunities to add to their goal crop. Mercer and Lawton did net the ball, but the goal were disallowed on the score of offside. They had Southport chasing and chasing without being able to catch up with their quarry, the ball which was flicked from one man to another with machine like accuracy but eventually Bentham ran through the Southport defence and chalked up goal number five. Lawton had scored all the other four goals, the first which bewildered the Southport people and the Southport defence.

March 11, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Notes.
Mt. Theo Kelly, Everton’s secretary, will have to make a forward change for the League War Cup third round tie against Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday. The Blues will be without Tommy Lawton, the international centre-forward, who moves to the south today, and Wally Boyes, the international outside-left, who has also gone to the south and cannot play. Alex Stevenson will be able to play at inside-left, and considering the splendid form against Southport, I expected Young Jack Lyon will retain the wing position. Harry Catterick, the Southport lad who has had a crop of goals for Everton and Stockport County, becomes the automatic choice as Lawton’s deputy, while Stan Bentham will constitute one of the links in the right flank. The remaining position will be filled by Sid Simmons, Duggie Trentham or Cecil Wyles. The match will mark the return to duty of Gordon Watson, who has been nursing an ankle injury. He comes back to left-half in place of Jackie Jones. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; S. Simmons, Trentham, Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, J. Lyon.

March 11, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Not to be outdone by the Football league in its effort for the Lord Major of Liverpool’s War Fund, Liverpool and Everton will get together shortly to consider staging a Derby game for the same good cause. This isn’t a sudden decision. Away back in the close season I announced that both clubs had intimated their willingness to help the fund, but that as it was impossible to fix a match in the early part of the season, other than on a mid-week evening, which both clubs felt would not produce a return worthy either of their own standing or the cause they were helping they had decided to hold it in absence until the spring. Until we see how Everton fare in the next round of the cup, nothing definite can be arranged, but Mr. Will Harrop, the Liverpool chairman assures me that the matter has not been lost sight of by either his club or Everton, and that in due course he will be getting in touch with Mr. W. Gibbins, the Goodison chairman to see what they can do.
Lawton Departs.
Something of the old-time Cup atmosphere ought to be recaptured at Goodison Park on Saturday, when Manchester City, leaders of the North Section come up against Everton, second in the table. Everton make one change in defence from the side that defeated Southport, Gordon Watson, now recovered from the troublesome ankle injury, returning at left half in place of Jack Jones. Lawton’s departure for Aldershot –he left this morning and does not expect to be back North for some time –means that Catterick takes over the leadership. Lawton played for Aldershot when he was last down South and he told me yesterday, when he popped in the office to say, “so long,” that he would probably throw in his lot again with Manager Bill McCracken. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Watson; Forwards from Bentham, Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon, Wyles, Trentham.

March 12, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Notes.
Everton had a lad last season who played regularly at right back, in their Bootle J.O.C League games,. Harvey makes his “come-back” on Saturday as an outside right in the “A” team to oppose Marine at Crosby in the George Mahon Cup. Everton are giving an extended trial to the Northwich goalkeeper, Johnson. Everton; “A” Johnson; Wyles, Dugdale; Sherratt, Finnis, Atkins; Harvey, Lindeman, Powell, Owen, Bailey.

March 13, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log.
You can also expect opposition from the north, and do not be surprised if Everton once again nominate Mr. Will Harrop, the Liverpool chairman, who put up such a fine fight last year.
Marine seeking an initial victory, in the George Mahon Cup competition (Liverpool Combination in Everton Reserves at Colleague road, Crosby on Saturday. Marine (from); B.T. Simpson; G.N. Welsby, D.G. Roberts, E. Taylor, J.K. Morgan, J. Ginley; T. Halton, K. Dodgson, G. Barron, J. Jones, K. Patterson, J., Barton.

March 14, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
It is singular that the Blues and City get to grips when they are joint leaders of the Northern Regional League. The City lead at the moment, their goal average being 2.18 against Everton’s 2.10. So far as points are concerned Everton have the better record with 35 points to 34. In all the years the clubs have been going this is only their third meeting in national cup competitions. The first met in the F.A. Cup in 1909, when Everton were beaten, by the only goal in the second round at the old Hyde-road ground which is now a tramway depot. They came that never-to-be-forgotten Wembley final in 1933, when Everton outclassed the City to win 3-0 with goals by Jimmy Stein, Billy Dean and Jimmy Dunn. The nest year the City went to Wembley again and beat Portsmouth 2-1 after being behind at half-time. Now the City come to avenge that 1933 defeat and also their neighbours, United, whom Everton disposed of in the first round. Everton’s task is a big one, but I hold the view that it is an advantage to play at home in the first “leg” of this home-and-home ties. It enables a club to build up an advantage for the more exacting away task. I think Everton can establish a lead tomorrow. True they will be without Tommy Lawton, the bets centre forward in the world, and Wally Boyes cannot play, but this is offset by the fact that the City come along without magical peter Doherty, for whom they paid £10,000 on the very day Everton were per Mr. Ernest Green, making inquiries of Mr. Davie Ashworth for Doherty’s transfer. City also come without Frank Swift, their international goalkeeper, and Neilson. So matters are pretty well levelled up. In Harry Catterick, the Blues have a good deputy for Lawton. This lad is a real “good’ Un” whose success is mainly due to his amazing speed in a 25 yard burst, and his “nose” for finding the open space. Stevenson and Bentham may be replied on to provide him with plenty of opportunities. The strength of Everton lies in their grand half-back line and solidity of defence. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Simmons, Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon, Trentham.

March 14, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Manchester City tomorrow get an opportunity for which they have been waiting for eight years, and that is to revenge their final defeat by Everton. Considering the long football histories of the two cities, it curious how infrequently Liverpool and Manchester clubs have come together in Cup war fare. Manchester City and Liverpool have yet to be paired for the first time which the only time Everton and City have come in contact was in the 1933 final. Manchester City will get their own back on this occasion is a ticklish question. There is it likely to be much in either way, but I incline to an Everton victory tomorrow, and with a start in the second leg at Maine road the dark Blues ought to be able to make through on round four. It is a pity Lawton should be missing this game. He could have been better placed from any of the earlier ones, but Catterick has been playing with form of late. So that the England centre forward may not be missed as much or otherwise have counter balanced by the absence of Doherty from City’s side. Though we would like to have seen these two, the sides will still be sufficiently star-studded to satisfy the most expecting and the match promises a skilful display of the best type of football with the vital cup interest to give it something of pre-war savour. Provided conditions are propitious the gate ought to be the best of the season. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Simmons, Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon, Trentham.

March 15, 1941. The Evening Express.
Keen Duel with City
By Pilot.
Manchester City, owing to the absence of Pritchard, outside right had to be include Smith a young “A” team forward, against Everton in the League War Cup third-round tie, at Goodison Park today. Everton included Simmons former Wallasey schoolboy, at inside right with Bentham on the wing. There were early indications of the best attendance of any Merseyside game this season, and there must have been 8,000 spectators at the start. Everton; Sagar, goal (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Bentham, S. Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson and J. Lyon, forwards. Manchester City:- Robinson, goal; Clark, and Parkas, Walsh, and Sproston, half-backs; Bray, Smith, Herd, Boothway, Currier, and Rudd, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Twist (West Houghton). The first thrusts came from Everton, Catterick racing over after Lyon and Stevenson had cut out the work. Lyon twice outwitted Clark, but Robinson came out to deal with the centres. Everton exploited Lyon confidently and profitably, and when he slipped the ball back, Stevenson came through with a shot which Robinson gathered. Smith and Herd combined nicely without troubling Sagar in a game producing good football at high speed. Robinson saved by the post from Catterick before Lyon came in to a dropping ball but got too far under it. Boothway, just failed to connect with a perfect centre from Rudd and Sagar neatly caught a Herd first-timer. The brilliance of Sproston checked many promising Everton forward moves but Simmons once neatly outwitted him, only for the ball to run too far forward for Bentham. Sagar had to dash out to the penalty area to challenge Boothway and was fortunate to find the ball just by his knees. Currier shot quickly; but Greenhalgh had dropped back to pull Everton out of a dangerous position. A similar incident occurred in the City goalmouth, Robinson winning through despite a dual challenge. Simmons was brought down as he was going through, and then Boothway cleverly tricked Tom Jones and forced Sagar to save at full length. Herd’s quick shot must have grazed the paint off the bar. There was little to chosen between these teams, but the City were more direct in their methods of approach. Stevenson went through, but Robinson smothered his shot and also beat away Catterick’s quick return, with the crowd –now fully 12,000 -yelling “Goal.” The ball rebounded for Stevenson to place just outside the post.

March 14, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ding-Dong Play at Goodison
Everton Passes
By Stork.
Everton; Sagar, goal (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Bentham, S. Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson and J. Lyon, forwards. Manchester City:- Robinson, goal; Clark, and Parkas, Walsh, and Sproston, half-backs; Bray, Smith, Herd, Boothway, Currier, and Rudd, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Twist (West Houghton). It was like own times at Goodison Park, today, and for the first time for many months queues were seen outside the ground, augury of quite a substantial gate for these times of meagre attendance. The game was one of the attractions of the round. Everton started off with great punch, in the first half minute they had a chance to strike first bloody, for J. Lyon, lobbed across a centre which went straight to Catterick, who, however, could not get the ball down to his liking. When he made is hook side, it was off the mark; but it was a grand attempt. Everton were on their toes, and for some minutes they had the City defence hard pressed, and goalkeeper Robinson was momentarily injured in staving off a challenge by Catterick. So far City had done no attacking, simply because the Everton attack was so strong that the City’s main business was defence.
City Dangerous.
Manchester City were some time in running into form, but when they did they were undoubtedly a dangerous organisation. Herd was dead on the mark with one great drive and Boothway had a great chance when Rudd put the ball right into the goalmouth. The City centre forward only just failed to get his head to the ball. Had he done so, Sagar would have been in difficulty. Mercer tried to run through the City defence, but was outnumbered. Lyon with a “possible,” shot over the bar. The Everton goal had a narrow squeak when Currier and Boothway got through and Sagar had to do some hot work to keep the ball out of the net. Robinson had to do likewise when Lyon and Patrick tried to rush their way through. Manchester City moved the ball about with greater freedom than Everton, who were inclined to close passing. It was a ding-dong battle with both teams putting in all they knew, but there was always a great danger, when the City attack got moving, and Herd showed the power of his shot when he tried an effort from 30 yards out, and the ball flew like a rocket six inches over the crossbar. They City flashed the ball over the bar from long range on several occasions and a shot by Smith from the touchline almost sneaked into the far corner of the net, but Sagar pulled the ball down and saved a nasty looking situation.
Hard Luck.
Boothway tricked Jones, and for some minutes the Everton defence was hard pressed until a breakaway by Everton almost produced a goal. It was rank bad luck that they did not get one. Catterick was right through the defence only to shoot on to the advancing goalkeeper. The ball turned back to Stevenson, who shot on to another defender, and finally the Irishman in an effort to place the ball shot outside.

March 17, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 1, Manchester City 1
10,000 See Everton Rally.
By Stork.
“The best game seen at Goodison Park this season.” That was the general opinion after Everton and Manchester City had battled for ninety minutes without advantage to either side for the teams shared two goals. The second “leg” of this league cup-tie will therefore, be started afresh a week hence at Maine road, Manchester. The City will have the advantage of playing on their own ground, and Everton will have to pull out their best if they are to retain any further interest in the competition. They are quite capable of springing a surprise on even a smart side like Manchester City. On Saturday in the last half-hour, Everton hot back hard, and it was bad luck by the Mancunians which prevented Everton going to Manchester with a goal or two in hand.
Narrow Escapes.
I though the City, however, were slightly the better side, through they took some time to warm up to their work, and during that time Everton should have taken the lead, in the chances were there for the taking, in the first minute Catterick seemed to be through, but missed his way and later had an equally good chance when he shot straight on to the Manchester goalkeeper’s legs, the ball rebounded for Stevenson to drive, it back at the target, again it was cannoned out Stevenson tried again, but this time screwed the ball round the upright. Manchester City also missed some chances. In the second half, just after Stevenson had missed from close range, Currier scored for City who were now playing fine open football. Then came an Everton rally. They went after the equaliser with great determination and the City were penned in their own quarters for a least twenty-five minutes, but try as they would, they could not land the ball in the net. They made some grand attempts to do so, and they made many misfires but with two minutes remaining to play goalkeeper Robinson who had been highly successful against all other Everton calls, could only push out a Mercer shot to Lyon, who, without hesitation scored. I thought Everton should have had a penalty and so did one of the linesman, when Catterick had his legs swept from under him, but the referee declined to listen to any appeal. Catterick was a willing worker, but in his eagerness to score he lost his steadiness. He was almost under the crossbar when he made one header which should certainly have ended with a goal. But Stevenson was perhaps the main sinner when it came to mischances. It was grand football, there was cup spirit about, and although I consider that Manchester City were slightly the better side, I am not unmindful of the fighting rally which Everton made in the last half-hour. It was then that they should have won. Attendance 10,323, receipts £506 12/2. Everton; Sagar, goal (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Bentham, S. Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson and J. Lyon, forwards. Manchester City:- Robinson, goal; Clark, and Parkas, Walsh, and Sproston, half-backs; Bray, Smith, Herd, Boothway, Currier, and Rudd, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Twist (West Houghton).

March 17, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
It looks as though Everton will be left to carry the Merseyside cup banner forward in this season’s premier cup competition –the League war Cup. Last season it was the same. Everton out-stripped their neighbour only to fall at Fulham. Now they go to Maine-road on Saturday to face Manchester City. They start all-square so far as score goes, for the City hold the Blues to a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park on Saturday. The Manchester people are in for a football treat if the Saturday clash between Blues and City can be taken as a true criterion. No fewer than 10,323 people –they paid £568 12s 2d –saw a grand game. This is easily the biggest soccer attendance of the season for Merseyside. And I anticipate that more than 15,000 people will be at Maine road on Saturday. The City directors every one of whom came to Goodison Park on Saturday, backed up by secretary-manager Mr. Will Wild –will be keenly disappointed if there is not so. City will not have Doherty or Swift, while I can tell you that Everton’s skipper Ted Sagar, must be marked down as doubtful at the moment. The cup business does stir up enthusiasm Captain, Tom Percy the Everton director, brought along a motor coach full of brother officers from his military centre, while young Lovett, Everton’s reserve goalkeeper, motored all the way from Shrewsbury just to see the game. He may be playing in the second “leg.” Mr. Harry Mansley, vice chairman of Chester came along with Mr. Hughes.
“Killing The Ball”
The ability to “kill the ball” made all the difference to Everton’s fortune in the game. In attack there was a marked inability to secure command over the ball quickly. That was why Everton were held to their first draw at Goodison this season. Too often the ball commanded then. Catterick, Simmons and Bentham suffered most in this respect, for Stevenson and Lyon could “kill” the ball. It was not until Joe Mercer and Gordon Watson moved bang up into attack that Everton could stage the rally which produced that fine Lyon goal with five minutes to go. It was a fair result. Everton had more chances, but the City were generally that yard quicker on the ball. There were plenty of thrills and exhilarating football. Everton were unfortunate not to have had a plenty in the second half. Sproston at centre half and goalkeeper Robinson were the outstanding successes on the City side and, in my opinion, saved the City from defeat. Robinson was uncanny and yet Sagar made the save of the days –a brilliant one-handed effort off Herd. Everton’s defence stood firm, willingly shouldering the extra burden when Mercer and Watson threw everything into attack. True, Jones found Boothway a menace for a long time, but this defence is good enough for anything and Watson came back to prove as good as anyone afield. Mercer was also fine and his persistence brought the reward in the equaliser after Currier had placed the City ahead. Lyon once again was excellent but Bentham did not settle down quickly enough, and it was left to Stevenson to be the most effective so far as building up was concerned. It was not Everton’s best, but if they will open out their attacking methods next Saturday and stop that forward overcrowding they should march on.

March 17, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton Wasteful of Chances
Ranger’s Notes
If Everton want to go further in the League cup they will not to throw away easy scoring chances next week at Maine road as they did against Manchester City at Goodison. Stevenson was the chief offender two misses in particular being gilt-edged openings. City are undoubtedly the best side we have seen here this season and when they got a Currier goal easily in the second half it looked as though they would start next week’s return with a point in hand. Their combination and team work had been excellent. Robinson and Sproston –a grand centre half, though a little too all finish later on –were brilliant defenders. Fortunately Everton staged a fine rally towards the finish, City got rattled for a time and Lyon, who played excellently throughout, equalised with three minutes to go. Thus the interest remains undermined for the next meeting, but Everton will have their work cut out.

March 19, 1941. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Two full backs are included among the seven forwards from which Everton will choose the line to oppose Manchester City at Maine-road on Saturday in the second “leg” of the League War Cup third tie. They are George Jackson and Jack Jones. Only Alex Stevenson of the Services forwards will be available. There is no indication of what actually is in the mind of Mr. Theo Kelly, the Blues’ Secretary, but he might revert to the Bentham-Catterick right wing, leave the left wing unchanged and bring in Jackson or Jones at centre-forward. Jackson made a name for himself recently when he played centre forward in the Lancashire cup-tie against Liverpool at Goodison Park and scored all four goals against the Reds. It is obvious that Mr. Kelly is seeking to get move weight into the attack. He is right in this. Last Saturday the forward were the easily dispossession by the City defenders. They had the craft, but not the punch. The defence remains unchanged and it is good to know that Ted Sagar had received permission to play and so can lead the Blues. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Jackson, Jones (Jack), Bentham, Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon.
• Cook and Mercer have been chosen to play for the British Army against the Royal Air Force on April 5, at Bloomfield road, Blackpool.

March 19, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will filed an unchanged defence for their return Cup-tie, with Manchester City, but there are “innovations” in the probable forward line which includes George Jackson and Jack Jones, both full backs, as possible wingmen. It isn’t long since the former got four goals at centre forward and then played goal a couple of weeks later –and made a good job of it, too. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Jackson, Jones (Jack), Bentham, Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon, and Jones (JE).
• Everton “A” play Randle on Saturday

March 21, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, of Everton, is making a bold move for the game at Maine road. Obviously his reading of last Saturday’s match, when the Blues and City shared two goals at Goodison Park is that more “punch” and weight is needed in the attack. So he is including two full backs –Jackson and Jack Jones –in the attack. They will occupy the extreme wing positions, I like the experiment. I think Everton can win this game, for, in my opinion their defence is better than that of the City. In addition the Blues possess three half-back who always have a sharp eye to the creative side of the game. Everton’s success chiefly depends on their attack, and I hope there is no repetition of that tendency to overcrowd which we saw last week. Extra speed in moving to possession would also mean an improvement. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Jackson, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, Jones (Jack). Manchester City (probable); Robinson; Clark, Barkas; Walsh, Sproston, Bray; Pritchard, Herd, Boothway, Currier, Brown.

March 21, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will have all their work cut out tomorrow, in the return Cup-tie with Manchester City at Maine road and will not have to be wasteful of their opportunities if they are to go further in the competition. City are the nearest side we have seen here this season with a grand discovery in centre forward. Boothway a strapping 21-year did amateur having who has risen from the “A” team. Chief dangerman, Everton will have to watch, though, is Alec Herd, one of the most effective inside forwards with a shot almost as powerful as Lawton at his best. City expect to have Swift back in goal –though after the grand display Robinson gave at Goodison they needn’t worry about that position –and Bert Sproston at centre half, where he is almost as effective as Jones, though not as polished. City’s defence is as sound as the attack is dangerous, and though hoping for the best, I am not too optimistic of Everton’s chances unless they improve on less week’s forward work. Gilt-edged chance cannot be thrown away with impunity against a side of Manchester’s calibre. With the idea of strengthening this angle Everton have taken the usual avenue of including two full backs as forwards, Jackson and Jones should give more physical strength and pep to an attack which otherwise was clever without having quite enough. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Jackson, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, Jones (Jack). Manchester City (probable); Robinson; Clark, Barkas; Walsh, Sproston, Bray; Pritchard, Herd, Boothway, Currier, Brown.

March 22, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
The death during the week of Mr. William Brodie reminded a reader that it was the same Mr. Brodie who, with his brother, first thought of goal nets. He writes to say that about 50 years ago the Brodie brothers went to see a football ,match at Neston, and of course, no nets were used in those days. During the game a dispute arose as to whether a shot had passed inside or outside of a post. On their way home the brothers were discussing the point and they asked; Why not have nets to stop the ball and so do away with all disputes?” And there and then they devised the goal-nets which are now in common use. It was they who also first suggested shin-guards. The reader recalls that Mr. William Brodie was a popular member of Wallasey Golf Club. He did not take up the game until he was middle aged and then in the space of two years he had got his handicap down to 12.

March 22, 1941. The Evening Express.
Exciting Game With City
By Pilot.
Everton were delayed on their journey to Manchester for the League War Cup-tie with Manchester City, and this delayed the kick-off. News of the day is that Tommy Jones leaves for the South, on Tuesday week to join the R.A.F and next Saturday may be his last match for some time. The 10,000 City spectators had a welcome surprise when it was announced that Doherty was playing inside left. Everton; Sagar (captain), goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Bentham, Catterick, Jones (Jack), and Lyon, forwards. Manchester City:- Swift, goal; Clark, and Barkas, backs; Walsh, Sproston, and Bray, half-backs; Brown, Herd, Currier, Doherty and McShane, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Twist (Westhoughton). The first dangerous move came from Everton when Jackson brought the ball nicely under control but Swift came racing off to clear. With Watson taking the initiative the Everton forwards came away with some delightful combined work, but swift was on the spot to deal with Bentham’s shot and the goalkeeper came out to pull down another menacing Jackson centre. The City moved with rhythm and Sagar came out to make two catches. Swift was called on for similar services before Jackson got too far under the ball as he came in for his opening shot. It was fast and exciting football. Everton vied with the City in their nearest of approach and speed development.
Narrow Escape.
Everton had a narrow escape when McShame broke through after good work by Walsh, Sagar parried his low centre and before Currier could apply the finishing touch Cook came through with the winning clearance. Jackson let go a terrific shot from the edge of the penalty area, which crashed by the far post. The Everton defence operated coolly, but effectively against the nippy City forwards. It was football to delight the most exacting. Catterick had a shot and Swift leapt to his left to save.

March 22, 1941, The Liverpool Echo
Everton Efforts at Manchester
Bid For a Goal
By Stork.
The return game between Everton and Manchester City at Maine Road made an appeal to Manchester as football followers, for with the game starting all square it got close to an ordinary pre-war cup-tie. Everton, with a view to bringing some weight; into their attack made forward changes. Manchester City also made forward changes, the most important being the return of Doherty at inside left. Everton; Sagar (captain), goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Bentham, Catterick, Jones (Jack), and Lyon, forwards. Manchester City:- Swift, goal; Clark, and Barkas, backs; Walsh, Sproston, and Bray, half-backs; Brown, Herd, Currier, Doherty and McShane, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Twist (Westhoughton). Tom Jones, Everton’s Welsh international centre half, joins the R.A.F on Tuesday week, so is not likely to be available for some time. The City opened their attack through their right wing, Brown making a centre which was overheaded by Currier. Then Catterick’s pass to Lyon was much too strong and a goalkick was the only result. Bentham tried a long snap shot which Swift had little difficulty in saving because of its lack of strength. For one brief spell Everton played grand, combined football, the ball moving about as though on a string until it was finally dropped into Swift’s hands. Manchester’s reply was an assault on the left flank, but an offside decision brought it to an end. Tom Jones stopped another forward march by the City, and then Everton, by superlative football, worked their way through the home defence until they came to Swift, who came out to catch the ball with every confidence as he was charged by Cattrerick. Jackson tried one shot which flew like lightning right across the goalmouth, and Bentham was also off the mark from a good position.

March 24, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Manchester City 2, Everton 0
City Win in a Fine Game
By Stork
Everton failed to negotiate the hurdle set them in the third round of the League Cup at Manchester City’s ground, but they put up a galliant fight. The City won Saturday’s game 2-0 after a draw the previous Saturday 1-1 at Goodison. Everton’s forward changes did not help matters for Jackson, though enthusiastic is not an outside right. For a time Everton showed up amazingly well. They played good-class football perhaps it was a bit too fanciful against the more direct route which Manchester City employed, but when I explain that Everton twice hit the crossbar and Lyon netted the ball from what I consider an onside position, you will imagine how near to success Everton were.
Tom Jones Injured.
There was only one goal scored in the first half and that was due to over-dribbling by J.E. Jones. Had he released the ball earlier than he did the City would not have had their chance. When the City did get this chance they took it well. Currier swept through the Everton defence, and with a firm low shot cracked the ball into the net. Everton made a strong rally and there was always hope of an equaliser, but when Tom Jones was injured fifteen minutes from the end their prospects faded and it was during the Welshman’s absence that Herd got through to score goal No.2. There was a semblance of offside about this goal. The Everton players are emphatic that Herd was well offside when he made his shot, which Sagar parried but could only push back the ball to Herd, who promptly put it in the net. It was a great game and the crowd of 10,000 showed that there is a call for football if it is of the right type. Manchester City and Everton played that type and the thrills during the game brought back memories of happier times. Everton missed Lawton, for while Catterick did his best, he was usually well held by Spronston, but the man of the Everton forward line was the young amateur Lyon. This player is going to make a name for himself. He forced the City goalkeeper, Swift to one of the best saves of the match, in fact both goalkeepers played their parts well in this excellent game. Everton; Sagar (captain), goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tom), and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Bentham, Catterick, Jones (Jack), and Lyon, forwards. Manchester City:- Swift, goal; Clark, and Barkas, backs; Walsh, Sproston, and Bray, half-backs; Brown, Herd, Currier, Doherty and McShane, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Twist (Westhoughton).

March 24, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
John Lyon, brilliant young inside forward, and former English school boy international from Whiston, will this week become a fully-fledged professional with Everton Football Club. It was only on February 23 that John became 17 –the youngest age at which a lad can take the “paid ticket.” He is really a wartime discovery, for although having played for some in Everton’s junior sides, it was only this season that he went into the first eleven. And secretary Mr. Theo Kelly –the man whose zealous handling of the “A” team in the late Mr. Tom Mcintosh’s days resulted in so many fine players being discovered for nothing –firmly believe that Lyon is an international in embryo. I share that view. The signing of Lyon as a professional is another tribute to the success of the Liverpool-Everton policy to give their young players every possible encouragement. Which remains me, Everton have found another “good un” –a lad who is already making his mark. This is jack Powell, 15 year-old son of the chairman of Witton Albion, Powell played for Everton “A” against Randle on Saturday, Everton won 10-1, and Powell himself scored the first eight goals and also added the tenth. Have they found another Lawton? At the same time Everton were losing at Maine-road to Manchester City 2-0 –without Lawton. It was Everton’s first defeat since they went down to Liverpool on Christmas Day – a grand run and one which would not have been ended but the forward power was lacking. To add to Everton’s wow, Tommy Jones, the game’s greatest centre-half was carried off the field with an injured ankle 15 minutes from the end, and just when Everton looked like whipping out Currier’s leading goal and reassuming command. The loss of Tommy was too big a handicap.
Thrilling Football.
Everton, of course revert to County cup games and Regional matches and there is a nice offering on the menu on Saturday, when Chesterfield will be at Goodison Park. During the first half-an-hour at Maine-Road it looked odds on Everton beating the City. Sagar had defied all attempts or Doherty and company with some of the finest goalkeeping I have ever seen and with the Everton forwards –brilliantly served by the half-backs –developing so neatly and speedily, the City defence was sore worried. For 30 minutes the Blues were grand. Then the City took the lead through Currier, when in my opinion play should have been stopped earlier and a free kick granted Everton. The Manchester half-backs at last got control, and it was a ding-dong affair long way into the second half Everton were just getting City rattled when Jones was carried off. Away came City to take a second goal per Herd who appeared well offside. Half the Everton lads stood still, thinking the whistle had sounded. Even then Sagar saved Herd’s first shot. Make no mistake about it the City were taken all through, the better side and deserving of victory. True, the ball ran that little bit against Everton as when a winning shot early on was just deflected on to the bar by Spronston and away to safely. Everton took the eye as a fine defensive force, but there was again a lack of potency about the attack. Stars were missed, Catterick showed improvement and again I liked Lyon’s control and correctness of idea. Sagar was outstanding in a perfect defence –if there are two better backs playing at the moment than Cook and Greenhalgh I shall be surprised –and Mercer, Watson and Jones were faultess. I would hand Watson the palm as the finest half-back afield. He simply could not have played better.

March 24, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton went down fighting in the return Cup-tie game with Manchester City at Maine-road. With a good deficit they started the second half in a manner which made the Manchester spectators quake in their shoes and for twenty minutes their penned down the City to their own goal area, but an ankle injury to Tom Jones turned the game inside out from an Everton standpoint. Let me recall the facts for you. Everton three times hit the woodwork and Jack Lyon scored what in my opinion was a perfect goal goal, for at the despatch of the ball, he was onside, but he ran through so quickly that he appeared to be offside. The Everton players are emphatic that it was a good goal, just as they emphatic that Herd, was offside when he scored the City’s second goal. It is, however, of no purpose to talk of its and buts, the fact remains that Everton are out of the Cup, but far from disgraced. It was a grand game of football; a typical Cup-tie with plenty of thrills greatest of all a swift save from Lyon when all seemed lost. The enthusiasm proved that there is a public for football, providing there is something at the end of it. Again let me state that Lyon has found his right position on the wing, and should not be moved from there, Doherty has lost none of his art and craft and Currier improves daily.

March 26, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It is on the cards that Maurice Lindley, Everton’s tall half-backs, now in the Royal Air Force, will make his first appearance of the season next Saturday. He is included in the list of probables for the North Regional game against Chesterfield at Goodison Park. Mr. Theo Kelly, the Blues secretary, hopes that Tommy Jones will be fit to play. Jones damaged his ankle in the game at Manchester last Saturday. If Tommy does regain fitness this match will mark his last appearance for some time, as he goes off to the south next Tuesday to join the Royal Air Force. Billy Cook, Ireland’s skipper, who is playing as well as ever he did is doubtful owing to an ankle injury. If he cannot play Jackson will deputise. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Bentham, Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon, Jones (Jack).

March 28, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
A player Everton were watching with a view to transfer before the war may play for them against Chesterfield in the North Regional match at Goodison Park tomorrow. This is Douglas McAvoy, the Kilnarnock inside-forward, who is at present employed in this area. Everton had their “scouts” out taking a line on McAvoy in the pre-war season and the reports were favourable. If Everton find themselves short tomorrow McAvoy will wear the blue jersey and will have the distinction of being the first “guest” player Everton have called on in wartime football.
Tom Jones’ Injury
There is bad news for the Everton followers. It is been ascertained that Tommy Jones, their Welsh international centre half-back, is suffering from a fractioned ankle at the result of the injury received in the match with Manchester City last Saturday. Hopes are still entertained that Billy Cook –also suffering from an ankle injury –will be able to play and it is expected that Maurice Lindley will be on leave from the R.A.F to come into the intermediary division to fill the gap. It will be his first game of the season. Chesterfield who will be paying their first ever visit to Goodison Park are one of the most consistent teams. Last season they won the East Midlands, Championship, and they stand fourth in the Northern Region at the moment. Chesterfield are bringing Milligan, the Irish international centre forward, Jack Milburn the former Leeds United back and a penalty expect, and W. Whittaker, the former Kingstonians centre half-backs who is now in the R.A.F. Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Jackson; Greenhalgh, Lindley, Mercer, Watson; Bentham, Simmons, Catterick, Stevenson, McVoy, Lyons, Jones (Jack). Chesterfield; Middleton; Milburn (Jack), Kidd; Hartley, W. Whittaker, Pringle; Sinclair, Hunt, Milligan, Jones, Alderson.
• Harry Lowe the Skelmersdale lad, who played with Southport before hitting the headlines with Everton and Preston North End will reappear for Southport against Bolton Wanderers at Haig-Avenue tomorrow in a Regional game.

March 28, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
The visit of Chesterfield to Goodison Park, tomorrow, should provide a grand struggle, for both see well in the running for the North regional championship. Everton second to Manchester City, and only a decimal point behind on goal average, will not find their visitors easy meat. Chesterfield sat fourth in the league table, and have a good away record, having won five and drawn two of their twelve games. Everton in addition to the absence of Lawton, will also be without T.G. Jones, X-ray examination having disclosed that his ankle injury is more serious than at first through. There is a possibility of a small bone fracture. Lindley now in the R.A.F may be included for the first time this season. Last winter Lindley came on by leapt and bounds, and proved himself a valuable general utility man, playing with considerable success in no fewer than six positions. Should they require his services, Douglas McAvoy, the Kilnarnock inside forward, is available but as Everton so far have managed without borrowing a single player I hope they will be able to carry on without breaking the record. Final selection from the following may not be made until just before the match begins. Sagar; Jackson, Cook, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones (J), Mercer, Watson; Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, Lyon, and Simmons.

March 29, 1941. The Evening Express.
Chesterfield arrived at Goodison Park for the regional match with Everton a player short and Everton loaned them Simmons, the 17-year-old ex-Wallasey schoolboy player. Everton had to reshuffle their team, Jackson going to centre forward and Mercer centre half while young Owen, from the “A” team, was at outside right. Everton:- Sagar (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Mercer and Watson, half-backs; Owen, Catterick, Jackson, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Chesterfield:- Middleton, goal; Milburn and Kidd, backs; Hartley, Whittaker, and Pringle, half-backs; Sinclair, Simmons (Everton), Milligan, Jones and Redford, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Runcorn). Chesterfield early took the initiative and after Sagar had been drawn out of goal, Mercer had to double back to make a hefty clearance when faced with Milligan and Simmons. Jackson got close, but just before he could shot Whittaker intervened. The Everton forwards moved nicely and Stevenson shot inches wide of the far post. The inside forwards were providing ample opportunities for their young wingers. Stevenson hooked outside from Owens’ centre and Jackson was off the mark with a penalty line free kick. Kidd had to go off after a collision with Owen, but was soon able to resume.

March 29, 1941, The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton:- Sagar (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Mercer and Watson, half-backs; Owen, Catterick, Jackson, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Chesterfield:- Middleton, goal; Milburn and Kidd, backs; Hartley, Whittaker, and Pringle, half-backs; Sinclair, Simmons (Everton), Milligan, Jones and Redford, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Runcorn). There was only a meagre attendance for Everton’s game with Chesterfield at Goodison Park today. Chesterfield had to call in the aid of an Everton player, Simmons, to complete their team. Simmons almost snapped a first minute goal when Sagar slipped up as he was about to leave his goal to cut out a centre from the Chesterfield right wing. The corner kick, given away in sheer desperation, brought nothing of any consequence to Chesterfield. Stevenson almost sprang a surprise with a long shot, which was only a foot or two off the target, but the Chesterfield goalkeeper had taken the necessary precautions and had moved over to that side of the goal, to which Stevenson shot. At the other end Sagar brought off a nice catch from Sinclair. Billy Cook came to back up his right flank and when Owen took the ball back to him Cook banged it into the middle and Stevenson by a neat tap of the ball “placed” Catterick, who, however, had not sized up the position quickly enough. Jackson had a chance, but could not get a full-blooded punch at the ball and the goalkeeper had a trickling sort of affair to deal with Stevenson tested Middleton and a little later hooked one just outside the post while Jackson, with a free kick could not find a true line. Sagar punched another centre cut from Sinclair but most of the play was confined to midfield, there being few goal incidents.

March 31, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 0, Chesterfield 1
By stork.
Even allowing for the fact that Chesterfield are highly placed in their section, few anticipated the fall of Everton on their own ground to the Derbyshire team. The visitors could only claim one goal and that at the 55th minute, but they must be praised for the taking of the single chance that the Everton defence really gave them. On the other hand, Everton had several opportunities, both before and after the scoring of the Chesterfield goal, but they failed to accept them. They have developed this sort of thing in their last few games, and even admitting the strength of the Chesterfield defence one cannot forgive such; frailty when such opportunities arise.
Milligan’s Goal.
Milligan, a big strong player, for once in a way defeated Mercer and, running through he cracked in a tremendous shot which put a bulge in the Everton net. It was not a good game, for the defence were too much on top to allow the respective forward lines to settle down to good-class combination. Everton, with their young players and a converted full back at centre-forward were never a driving force. They seemed to be at sixes and sevens most times, and that meant hard work for the defence. Chesterfield were almost in the same boat. Their forward line was just as convincingly mastered as that of Everton, so that it became a battle of defences, and these sort of matches are not very appetising. Catterick should have started Everton off on a goal scoring trek very early on in the game and Stevenson should have tested the goalkeeper more frequently than he did, whereas Jackson had bad luck in that he failed once not because he was off the mark, but because he could not get the full power behind his drive. Later he put a free kick a foot wide and a hook shot just wide of the mark. Try how the two attacks would they could not break down the defensive barriers and it appeared almost certainty that the game would end as it started, with a clean sheet. within a minute of the opening of the second half Catterick missed a sitter. This young Stockport lad seems to have gone all to pieces in his recent games, and having missed this chance Everton were soon in arrears with Milligan’s goal. But even after that Everton had chances not only to equalise, but to have won. They kept their rivals confined to defensive measures and while Middleton made several smart saves. Owen with an open goal could do no better than shoot high over the bar. He repeated this mistake a minute or two later. Everton reorganised their attack after that but even that did not bring the desired result. Everton:- Sagar (captain), goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Mercer and Watson, half-backs; Owen, Catterick, Jackson, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Chesterfield:- Middleton, goal; Milburn and Kidd, backs; Hartley, Whittaker, and Pringle, half-backs; Sinclair, Simmons (Everton), Milligan, Jones and Redford, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Runcorn).

March 31, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Ted Sagar, Everton’s captain, and one of Britain’s outstanding goalkeepers has probably played his last game for Everton for this season. Ted has to undergo a special course in connection with his military duties, and it is improbable that he will be able to get away for his weekend games. So an Everton which a few months ago, could call on practically their championship side, are slowly but surely losing their stars –Lawton, Boyes, Gillick, Tommy Jones, and Now Sagar. However, no doubt some of these star players will be able to make occasional appearances just to keep “the pot a-boiling,” and the Blues are fortunate in having so many youngsters ready to step into the breach.
Milligan’s Decider.
Mention of South Africa forces come the fact that it was a South Africa who “pipped” Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday, when Chesterfield beat Everton 1-0 to become the second team to win at the Park this season. This was Milligan, long-striding lad, who a few years ago, landed from South Africa with two footballing colleagues and headed straight for Anfield. They wanted to join Liverpool’s South Africa “colony.” Liverpool offered them a month’s trial. The players declined, saying they wanted permanent engagements, so they parted and Milligan went to Scotland and then to Chesterfield. Since then he has gained Irish international honours. Milligan took advantage of Joe Mercer’s one slip on Saturday to win the match. For the rest Joe was a grand deputy for Tommy Jones, who is to have another X-ray examination to ascertain exactly what is wrong with his ankle. Everton lost the game because their attack was not up to standard and because Chesterfield had an unshakeable defence, held closely together by W.Whittaker a centre half, whom Manager Mr. Norman Bullock –in charge of the Derbyshire party with Chairman Mr. Billy Shentall –told me was still in his team and only now serving his first-team apprenticeship. Sid Simmons, Everton’s youngster, played for the winners and did well, Mr. Bullock said afterwards. “well, Everton loaned us a lad who looks like going far in the game.” It was the weakest attack I have seen serving an Everton team for years. John Lyon took what honours were going.

March 31, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton are running into a peck of trouble. Having lost the services of Tom Lawton and Tom Jones, they will not be able to call upon their captain and goalkeeper Ted Sagar, again this season, as he leaves for another part this week. Everton were surprising beaten by Chesterfield, at Goodison Park, in one of the poorest games I have seen this season. The football was that the pivot defence were too good for the attack, neither of which could get moving with anything like first-class combination. It was a drab sort of game, although there were one or two goalmouth thrills. But not enough to keep the people warm. Everton’s attack fell much below the form it has displayed this season. There was no punch or cleverness in the line. Even the left wing which can usually serve up something hot, rarely got the better of the Chesterfield defence. Four goal Jackson could not smash his way through the middle, because of the strong defensive play of the 17-year-old Whittaker, so a change became necessary but even that did not bring the desired result, as Catterick has shown a remarkable failing off in recent weeks.

March 1941