Everton Independent Research Data


March 1, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 10, Southport 2
Last cup Place Gained.
By Ranger.
Interest in the qualifying competition of the League Cup North was sustained to the end, and 156,273 people watched the 27 matches. It was a near thing for Everton, who gained one of the last places among the 32 qualifiers by beating Southport 10-2. This brought their aggregate of goals in the two matches to 18 and gave them the necessary advantage in goal average to entitle them to take part in the competition proper. The result speaks for itself. The visitors were completely outclassed and for four-fifths of the time were penned in their own half defending stubbornly, but not very successfully against a side which needed all the goals they could get. With Southport’s defence demoralised and bewildered and handicapped halfway through the second half because King had to leave the field with an injured shoulder. Everton indulged in a shooting in match most of the time. Lawton got four goals, Mutch two, Fowler, Stevenson and Cook (penalty), one each while Rawlings put one into his own goal when valiantly trying to stop a Bentham effort.
Half-backs Line Weakness.
Frost and Deverall scored for Southport, each the resulting of a quick breakaway which caught the result of a quick breakaway which caught the home defence napping. Though this was a solid win too much reliance should not be placed on it as a pointer to Everton’s Cup prospects for Southport were a disappointing side. Weakness in their intermediate line not only threw a heavy burden on the rearguard trio, but meant that the forwards got little or no help in their efforts to relieve the over-burdened Southport defence. To all intents and purposes Everton had only ten men most of the game, for Dellow pulled a muscle after fifteen minutes and was a passenger for the rest of the afternoon. Lawton’s brought more punch and accuracy to Everton’s attack and with Stevenson at his best and Mutch a constant danger, the Blues front line well supported by its halves, showed a decided improvement over recent home matches. Though the defence on the whole was sound, its task was easy. Nevertheless, there were times when the backs took too much for granted, and were fortunate not to pay for their unwarranted slackness. Carey was excellent at centre half. Southport’s half-back weakness was fatal. Although Rawlings who changed places with Delaney early on, and Kirby and King did their best, the odds were much too heavy. The visitors attack was ill-balanced and the forwards rarely got going with combined moves. Attendance 13,114; receipts £797. Everton; Birkett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Carey (J) (Manchester United), and Humphreys, half-backs; Dellow, Mutch (Preston North End), Lawton, Stevenson, T. Fowler, forwards. Southport;- King, goal; Delaney and Kirby, backs; Francis, (crystal Palace), Evans, and Flack, half-backs; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Deverall, and Butler, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Bolton).
• England beat Wales 5-3 at Wembley Stadium, Britton and Mercer for England and Jones (TG) for Wales, in front of 75,000 spectators.
• Liverpool lost 3-1. Hall for Liverpool and Herd (2) (1 Penalty) and Charlesworth (Own goal)

March 1, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton made no bones about ensuring the okay on their goal-average by piling up ten goals against Southport at Goodison Park so that the late Deverall goal against due to slackness in disposing of possession, made no material difference. The 13,114 spectators had a feast of goals and a number of injuries. The Port took the hardest knock when ex-Evertonian Frank King broke his collar bone in the second half, and Flack had to go into goal. The Blues had, however, established a 6-1 lead at that stage. The Blues played four fit forwards from the first minute for Dellow was helpless because of a pulled muscle, and Lawton damaged an ankle in the second half. Southport had their team worries before the game and during it, but they struck manfully to their task against a vastly superior relentless side. Not for a long time have I seen Stevenson and Mutch is such dazzling form, and the reason is not hard to seek. It can be summed up in the one word, “Lawton.” Tommy, now back in the north to be an Everton regular, carried the weight of the attack so that the little inside forwards had all the working room imaginable. Withal Lawton’s foot and head, flicks to either side, and his deadliness in front of goal brought to Everton a potency we have not seen for some time. Young Fowler had a good day at outside left. The attack was fine against a stalwart defence in which King and Kirby were great but the solid brilliance of the Everton half backs had much to do with the measure success. Jack Carey was a pinnacle of power at centre-half and on the flanks Everton had Bentham and Humpheys so earnest in defence –their tackling was amazingly tenacious –and with the speed and unquenchable energy to move up in support of the forwards, and yet recover to close gaps. It was grand. The defence stood snuffed except for a degree of hesitancy when Southport got their goals. Lawton, claimed four of the Blues goals, Mutch had a couple, Stevenson, Fowler, Cook (penalty), and Rawlings (own goal), also contributing. Rawlings had been moved back to-tighten up the defence. Frost got Southport’s first in an always interesting game in which the ball, for once, ran Everton’s way and at which we were all delighted to welcome back, after nearly two years’ absence Mr. Ernest Green, the former Everton chairman. Mr. Green assured me that he will be able to be more regular at the games in future. Good A chat with “E.G.” on football matters and managements is a tonic any time.

March 1, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
And now for the Cup rounds proper, with Everton, after much heartburning just scraping in by the skin of their teeth. By the way, let justice be done by pointing that Everton were 31st in the table of qualifiers, not 32nd, as most tables show them. Their average is just one-tenth of a goal per game better than Derby County’s, who should really be at the bottom. Not that it matters two hoots. The main thing for Everton’s supporters is that they favourites are through. For how long is another matter. They meet Blackpool the next two Saturdays –at Blackpool first –and this is going to be a pretty stiff hurdle. Though Everton were an improved side in attack against Southport thanks to Lawton, it would be folly to run too much reliance on their 10-2 victory, for Southport were disjointed and disappointing. The sandgrounders started at a disadvantage through Weavers absence, then lost King half-way through the second half-though Everton had the game itself won by them. We must also remainder that the Blues were playing ten men practically from the start because of Dellow’s injury. Slackness in the home defence cost Everton a couple of goals, and late on might have scored a third. As things turned out, even three would not have affected Everton’s position, but nobody knew that at the time. Everton’s rearguard which one time almost carried the side on its back, is not what it used to be, a full back’s first duty as to clean its lines, not dribble or to take advantage of the whistle. Stevenson and Mutch were in good form, but Fowler nullified a lot of good work by failure to lift his centres propers. The halves were excellent and Birkett, through he had little to do, did it well.

March 2, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Mr. Harry Bond hon, secretary of Haydock C and B Recs, F.C. sends some interesting data about Everton’s 19-year old goalkeeper, Wilf Birkett. Mr. Bond states that Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly invited him to take along some of his juniors for trials at Goodison Park and he took over Birkett. Martin McDonnell 18-year-old centre half. Frank Finch (who later went to Cambridge University), and Lowe the 16-year-old winger, whom Haydock are nursing for a season in readiness for Lowe’s move to Goodison. Mr. Bond says; “I was always confident that Birkett would make good, and I think the other boys will come along later. Our club is a workingman’s recreation club of some 600 members, run on yearly contributions and at our annual meeting it was agreed that congratulations be passed to our young footballers on their success in senior fields. We have been one of the most prominent of the St. Helen’s Combination clubs since 1935, and among prominent players who started with us are George Davies, of Bury, and his brother Jack.” I congratulate Mr. Bond and his club on their fine work in the junior circles and hope they will soon be finding some more good boys.

March 4, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
No sooner have they solved one problem, thanks to the return of Lawton, than Everton find themselves up against another, and just at the most awkward time. This time the snag is at the back. Mercer is no longer available =he will be playing for Reading on Saturday along with Matt Busby –and T.G. Jones cannot make the trip, so that at the moment the only halves available are Bentham, Humphreys, Curwen, and Fairfoull. All four are hard workers and throw a lot of enthusiasm into their play, but will that be sufficient to hold up the mighty man of Blackpool? Should Humphreys be in the centre, his task will be a difficult one, especially if Dodds is playing for the latter’s height and weight would give him a big start. Even Tom Jones always found Dodds a handful –he once told me Dodds was the toughest task he’s ever had –so you can see the height of Humphreys job. Carey is definitely “out” so far as our game are concerned, which is unfortunate for he fitted into the Everton scheme as to the manner born. Dellow has not recovered from his knock from Saturday and Wyles comes back into the forward line. Lawton’s presence means a lot to Everton. He put the necessary fire into the attack, and it still be required at Bloomfield Road for this is about the hardest job Everton could have. Fortunately Blackpool latterly had not been quite as all-conquering as earlier in the season. Teams from; Birkett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Curwen, Fairfoull; Wyles, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, Fowler.
Everton “A” (v. Carlton at Goodison Park, 3.p.m). Castle; Griffiths, Cheers; Finnis, McDonnell, Lewis; Lowe, Grant, Curran, Scott-Lee, Makin.

March 4, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton have doubts regarding their half backs for the visit to Blackpool at Bloomfield road. Hopes were held out that international Tommy Jones would be able to travel to compensate for the loss of Jack Carey, who has been recalled by Manchester United. “Tommy, however, is not included in Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly’s list of probables. Four half-backs are named with Jack Humphreys a signal success this term, moving to the centre with Bentham on the right, and either Curwen of Fairfoull on the left. Fairfoull is the son of Tommy Fairfoull, the captain of Liverpool’s Cup final team against Burnley. Tommy Lawton will be leading the attack which will be unchanged from last Saturday, apart from the fact that Cecil Wyles takes over at outside-right from the injured Dellow. Wyles got three goals from centre forward in the game at Southport two weeks ago, and did well at outside-right when playing against Manchester City here on Christmas Day. Everton’s attack and youthful half-back line is good enough to give me confidence that my win for Everton forecast will materialise. The forecast is not given without good reason –the reason that Everton will have Lawton but, Blackpool will not have either Dodds or Matthews. Dodds and Matthews will be playing for the R.A.F.
Teams from; Birkett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Curwen, Fairfoull; Wyles, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, Fowler.
Everton “A” (v. Carton at Goodison Park, 3.p.m). Castle; Griffiths, Cheers; Finnis, McDonnell, Lewis; Lowe, Grant, Curran, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Carton ; (from); J. Connolly; E. Phillips, H. Hanson; J. Curry, J. Butler, H. Birtles; A. Nelson, F. Steele, J. Milligan, A. Kane, J. Hughes, T. Hogan.

March 5, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have drawn the most attractive opponents in their geographical grouping, but a visit to Blackpool’s is a stiff test, and though hope persists I’m not too optimistic of their chances. Too much importance should not be attached to the heavy defeats of Southport, though they will have given the Blues more confidence. Providing they will refrain from taking risks in defence, and the attack an knit together a little more solidly with the right backing from the halves. Everton have a good fighting chance, but it looks like being a struggle. Blackpool these days are not quite on the high pedestal they were a few months back, which makes things a bit easier, and if they can be held to a draw tomorrow then the prospects of Goodison going on to round two will be much brighter. Everton; Birkett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham Humphreys, Curwen, Fairfoull; Wyles, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, Fowler.

March 5, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There is no mistaking the magnitude of Everton’s task in having to tackle all-star Blackpool at Bloomfield-road, but I have a “bunch” that it will be the Blues and not Blackpool who claim, the goals advantage when the clubs meet at Goodison Park a week hence for the second leg. I say this despite the fact that Blackpool have not lost at home this season; that the Pool won the League championship No 1, and that generally, they are rated as the best side playing in England today. Still, they will be tackling an Everton definitely on the up-grade and whose outlook has been changed completely by the return of Tommy Lawton. Lawton’s presence –apart from his goal-scoring abilities –makes all the difference to the Blues. Their attack, becomes a force of rare potency at once, and I think Everton can step in to outwit a Blackpool lacking major stars in Enh Dodds and Stan Matthews. Danger man to Everton is Sunderland’s Burbanks, the outside-left, but half-back tenacity can ensure that the Wearsider does not get too much of the ball. Everton can take encouragement from the fact that Southport and Manchester United have drawn at Blackpool this term. With a tightening up in defence and a repetition of last week’s great movement in attack I think Everton will go a long way towards ensuring their ticket to round two, the draw for which will be made in Sheffield tomorrow week. Everton; Birkett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham Humphreys, Curwen, Fairfoull; Wyles, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, Fowler.
• Tomorrow’s, at Goodison Park. George Mahon cup-tie. Everton Reserves v. Carlton. Kick-off 3 p.m. Admission 6d; Boy’s 2d.

Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 06 March 1943

A good contingent of Liverpool Sea Scouts paraded at Everton Football Ground last Saturday, where, during the interval, they marched round the track, in connection with the Merchant Navy Exhibition. Representative detachments from Aintree, Allerton, Fairfield and Wavertree Sea Scout Troops paraded under Group Scoutmasters Phoenix, Middleditch and Wardle, and Scoutmasters Davies and Robinson, the salute being taken by the Commissioner, Captain E Vaughan Davies, D. S.O., 0.B. E., C.M.C. A Sea Scout Guard of Honour, consisting mainly Junior boys, was furnished to greet the Lord Mayor when opened the Exhibition Tuesday

March 6, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
Blackpool; Savage, goal; Pope and Jones (S.), backs; Farrow, Atkinson, and Johnson, half-backs; Gardner, Dix, Dodds, Jones (C.W.), and Burbanks, (Sunderland), forwards. Everton; Birkett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Humphreys, and Curwen, half-backs; Wyles, Mutch (Preston North End), Lawton, Stevenson, and Jackson, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Bolton). Blackpool kept Everton chiefly in their own half, but Everton in occasional attacks played clever football. Some of their combination was even better than that of their rivals, but there was more shooting from the Blackpool forward Birkett had to save from Jones and Dodds, but was offside and Jackson with a strong show saw his effort deflected. Then came two goals in one minute, Dix scored from the penalty spot for a “hands” decision against Humphreys. At 16 minutes Lawton slipped the ball on to Wyles, and the latter closed in looked like losing his chance, and finally only got to his toe to work to tuckle the ball through the Blackpool goal.
Everton came more into the game, and Jackson made one unique but unproductive pass. The game was full of attraction, for the point of attack changed in a flash. Dodds and Humphreys got at cross purposes, and the barly Blackpool leader once took the feet from under Birkett when he endeavoured to clear. Birkett made two superlative saves from Dix; an international keeper could not have death with then more ably. Lawton had been kept quiet, but on the one occasion, he did break through Atkinson robbed him in the nick of times. Blackpool were undeniably the more progressive side, and their shooting looked damaging. Several efforts simply missed the post outside. One of Farrow’s long throwns, led to Blackpool taking the lead. The Everton defence failed to clear it, and Dodds picked up the ball and crashed it into the net.
Half-time; Blackpool 2, Everton 1.
Savage once lost possession under pressure, but Wyles return shot misfired. Cook held up Dodds a few yards out of goal when it seemed odds on him scoring. You cannot gave Dodds any room, he once whipped through and shot as Birkett advanced, and was only a yard off the target.
Dead In The Net.
Lawton fired two long shots which were off the mark, and then Gardner put across a centre which Birkett tried to sweep over the bar but failed to connect with the ball which dropped in the net. Time 55 minutes. Later, Birkett caught a similar sort of centre and was bumped over the line by Dodds. Birkett was hurt, and after his recovery the referee awarded a free kick to Everton. Dix shot straight at Birkett and Lawton headed over. Final; Blackpool 4, Everton 1.
Everton “A” v. Carlton
Lowe made his debut for Everton. Two fine shots by Milligan and Nelson were well cleared by Castle. Makin missed a sitter for Everton from three yards.
Half-time; Everton “A” 0, Charlton 0. Final; Everton “A” 3, Carlton 0

March 8, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Blackpool 4, Everton 1
Everton out of Luck.
By Stork.
Although there was some luck about Blackpool’s four goals they were the better side when they beat Everton 4-1 at Blackpool. Everton have a very hard task in the return game. There was the penalty award which produced the first goal. It was a harsh decision for it appeared to be a case of ball to hand and not hand to ball. Humphreys could not possibly have got out of the way of Jone’s shot which struck his hand. In the second goal the ball was deflected beyond Birkett, and the goalkeeper was at fault with the last two goals. So you see that Everton had little of the luck which was going, though their goal, too, was a lucky point, for Wyles’s shot had only sufficient strength to trickle up against the upright and turn over into the net. That also was a goalkeeper’s error. Blackpool were more punchful; more linked up one with the other, and they had practically all the shots. I have gone through my notes and cannot find a trace of Savage having to gave a single shot. Such was the nature of Everton’s forward line. By comparison, Everton were a collection of units as against Blackpool’s teamwork, swift passing and powerful shooting. I have not forgotten Birkett’s two great saves in the first half from Dix and many others in the second session.
Strong Attack.
Blackpool are a big side, led by a centre forward who nuts be close on 14st, yet Humphreys had a good game against Dodds, in fact Humphreys and the two backs played exceptionally well against odds. In many cases Everton’s lack of inches enabled Blackpool to take the ball, and it was swept from point to point, rapidly and accurately. Everton however, produced some rare rounds of combination, unfortunately, however, without a shot. Lawton was usually ploughing a lone furrow, and he had little chance against Atkinson, pope, and Jones. His colleagues made the mistake of giving him the ball in the air. He had to get it down to foot to be of any use, time to give the opposition the opportunity to cut into him. Yet it was Lawton who made Wyle goal. He had two long shots and one burst through the middle, but that was all. Mutch and Stevenson had opportunities of reducing the lead, but failed, Bentham was injured and had to go on the wing, but could do little. It was not a good day for Everton, too many of their passes went to opponents, and had it not been for the good work of the rearguard, Blackpool’s total may have been considerably larger. Dix scored from a penalty in fifteen minutes, rubbed off by Wyles a minute later, and just on the interval, from a long thrown-in by Farrow’s the ball went to Dodds, whose shot struck cook’s leg and the ball turned away from the goalkeeper. Gardiner’s goal was a distinct fluke, for he centred from the goal-line, and Birkett, in trying to sweep the ball over the bar, failed to connect; the last goal saw him rushing out and Dodds simply headed the ball over him. Had he stayed in goal he would have saved. Attendance 16,000; £1,084. Blackpool; Savage, goal; Pope and Jones (S.), backs; Farrow, Atkinson, and Johnson, half-backs; Gardner, Dix, Dodds, Jones (C.W.), and Burbanks, (Sunderland), forwards. Everton; Birkett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Humphreys, and Curwen, half-backs; Wyles, Mutch (Preston North End), Lawton, Stevenson, and Jackson, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Bolton).
• Liverpool lost 3-1 to Bury; Hulligan for Liverpool and Davies (2) and Carter for Bury.

March 8, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton had all the bad luck in their game with Blackpool in the first leg of their Cup-tie for two of the Seasiders goals should have been saved, the penalty goal was a severe decision and a deflection was responsible for the second goal. Don’t get me wrong, Blackpool deserved to win, but not by such a margin, a margin which seems too wide to give Everton much chance of pulling the tie out of the fire (writes Stork).
Against some teams they could do it, but to thing they can beat Blackpool by four clear goals even at Goodison Park, one would have to be courageous, for Blackpool have a sound, workmanlike side, with height and weight right through a make-up which is always difficult to overcome. I am not being pessimistic but I cannot get away from the fact that Blackpool have few if any weak links in their armour. Would that I could say the same about Everton. Much as I want them to pull through, I just cannot visualise them doing it unless Blackpool crack and go to pieces and that hardly seems likely on what I saw at Bloomfield Road. True, they are not likely to get all the breaks next time, it may be Everton’s turn at Goodison, but they must not bank on that to bring them success. They must be up and doing; midfield football is of no account if it is not rounded off by goals and shooting was at a premium where Everton were concerned. Goalkeeper Savage has never had an easier afternoon, for I cannot recall him handling a shot of any kind. How can a side hope to win without shooting. In defence, except for those two goalkeeping errors no fault could be found. Cook, Greenhalgh, Humphreys and Birkett most time, stood up well to their heavy task, but forward Everton were sadly lacking. Their football on occasions was cleverly conceived, but having reached the penalty line, it came to an abrupt stop, for there was no one to fire the shot. Lawton was too well taken care of to be a damaging factor, and all too often the ball was given him in the air –of no earthy chance against towering defenders. No, it was not Everton’s day. Something vastly different will have to be produced on Saturday if they are to go into the next round.

March 8, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton had a similar failing to Liverpool in their tie at Blackpool for the first half brought sufficient chances for the Blues to have established in winning lead. My Blackpool colleagues, however, says that the forwards showed a reluctance to shoot, and that when Burbanks, Dodds and Dix got to work later the hopes of Everton were smashed. Blackpool brought in Jack Anderson of Bolton, and Tommy Gardner of Burnley, and they were hugh success, but Anderson had nothing on young Jack Humphreys who held Dodds as well as any pivot seen at Bloomfield road this season. Everton were deficient on the wings, and the defence was inclined to tire later on Dix gave Blackpool the lead with a penalty which Wyles wipe out from Lawton’s pass. Everton missed chances before Dodds gave Blackpool an interval lead, and later Dodds and Gardner added goals in a fine game before Blackpool’s best gate of the season.

March 9, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have ground advantage in their favour when facing Blackpool and a 4-1 deficit. And knowing that Goodison Park will house the biggest gate of the season, it means tremendous ground encouragement for the Blues. I can assure you that Everton had all the bad luck which was going at Bloomfield road. True Blackpool were the better side but 2-1 would have about represented the play. Yes I feel that if Everton can get good service from the wings their can get through.

March 11, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Mr. B.S. Trueman, chairman of Tranmere Rovers has made a friendly sporting gesture to Everton, who are not too well off for forwards for their return Cup-tie with Blackpool, by offering to loan Ashcroft and Rosenthal to the Goodison club. The Everton board have express their appreciation of Tranmere’s offer, and have included these two players among their probables for Saturday. Everton make a change in defence, where Jackson comes in as partner to Greenhalgh. T.G.Jones is named at centre half, and there is a good chance he may be available, as he is due for leave, and hopes to get in this week-end. Mercer is also included but in his case there is considerable doubt. Mr. Theo Kelly has also been in touch with Caskie, who is doing his best to get down for there is a big segment of doubt. If he can make it he will play instead of Fowler. Lawton is definite, which is good news for with a deficit of three goals to wipe out. Everton forward task is pretty stiff. The team will be chosen from;- Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (TG), Humphreys, Curwen; L. Ashcroft, Mutch, Rosenthal (A), Lawton, Stevenson, Fowler, Caskie.

March 11, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Notes
Everton are going all out to bring an all star eleven to Goodison Park on Saturday for the return War Cup first round tie with Blackpool, in which Everton face a deficit of three goals. Old favourites and new “guest” players are included in the provisional team. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly is exploring every possible avenue to build up a team which can pull back those goals against Blackpool football’s most attractive team, in the match of the season. Yes, there will be nearly 30,000 spectators at the Park on Saturday rest assured. Naturally Blackpool are favoured to win, but if Mr. Theo Kelly gets the team he wants then the cup favourites may be in for a big shock. “We appreciate that we have a tremendous task ahead of us.” Said Mr. Kelly to me, “but you can take it from me that every player is out to fight every inch of the way and even if we do go down it will be with colours flying.” Tommy Lawton the England centre-forward is a certainty, and word has come through that Welsh international captain Tommy Jones is practically a certainty. That means two vital positions filled by the two best lads in football for the jobs. Application has been made for the release of international Joe Mercer to travel for the week-end to take over at right-half where Stan Bentham is not available because of a head injury. Stan was at the ground on Tuesday for treatment but he just cannot get fit by Saturday.
Tranmere Gesture.
Mr. Kelly is also doing everything humanly possible to secure Scottish international Jimmy Caskie for this great game. Jimmy has been playing with Hibernian all the season and at this is the first time Mr. Kelly has tried to get him down he feels that there is a reasonable chance. Jimmy was down for one game last season. Naturally Hibernian will not want to lose Caskie, because they play rangers on Saturday, but Mr. Kelly is justifiably optimistic. Mr. Bob Trueman, chairman of Tranmere Rovers has made a gesture typical of him. Mr. Trueman has offered Everton the services of amateur Lew Ashcroft the outside-right and Abe Rosenthal the inside forward, definitely the Rovers two star players. Both these lads will have to undertake long journeys to Merseyside, but they are prepared to do so in an effort to keep the Blues in the Cup and so help to preserve Merseyside interest. That is the spirit we want these days. An important change is made in the Everton defence bringing about omission, for the first time Billy Cook, the wartime captain. Cook gives way to George Jackson the versatile as partner to Greenhalgh. In the event of Caskie not being able to travel, Tommy Fowler who joined the Army last Thursday will be there to step in. Inoculation kept Tommy out of the team which lost at Blackpool. Mr. Kelly is making special arrangements to accommodate the crowd, and the goal double Decker and shareholders stand will be opened as well as the paddock.
Everton (from); W. Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy), J.V. Humphreys, Curwen, L.L. Ashcroft, Mutch, Rosenthal, Lawton, Stevenson, Caskie, T. Fowler.
Jack Atkinson of Bolton Wanderers will gain play for Blackpool, who will have Matthews at outside right for Gardner. Blackpool (from); Roxburgh; Pope, Jones (S.); Furrow, Atkinson, Powell; Johnson, Matthews, Dix, Dodds, Jones (C.W.), or A. N. Other, Burbanks.

March 12, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There will be internationals galore at Goodison Park where Blackpool set out confidently with a lead of 4-1 and they are drawn from all four countries. There are six “caps” in the Blackpool side, and if the plans of Everton Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly materialise the Blues will have another five national players on duty. Now with all this star talent anything can happen. Granted that to pull back three goals on a team like Blackpool is a super task, but you can take it from me that Blackpool were flattered by that 4-1 margin last week. An odd goal would have fairly represented the Blackpool superiority. Remember too, that Everton had emergency men in the side and played throughout the second half with only 10 fit players, Bentham being badly injured. Yes, and the Blackpool third and fourth goals were luck affairs and the first a penalty. That analysis almost makes it look as if Everton have a real chance does it not? Well I hope the Everton players will go out with the firm conviction in their minds that the job is well within their capacity and tackle it with the smooth earnest effectiveness of which I know they are capable. And a quick start is the vital thing. Everton must go right out there and get goals quickly before Blackpool have the chance to settle down to show us their artistry. We may not know until just before the start the exact constitution of the Everton side, but I am hopeful that Caskie will come along. What a treat it would be to see him and what heart it would give to the other players.
Danger Men.
Danger man to Everton is Eph Dodds, the ex Sheffield centre forward and leading goal-scorer in the North. Lucky for Everton that Tommy Jones is coming back so that Jack Humphreys can revert to the wing where he has played so splendidly. With Tom Jones in the middle I fear no centre forward. With Mercer not available Tommy Fairfoull will be at right half. Stan Matthews will come as a prime attraction. If Matthews has a good game it will be his first time I have ever seen him succeed against Norman Greenhalgh, who stands with Andy Beattie as backs capable of holding the Stoke wizard. Blackpool have a fine if rugged defence which can be out-manoeuvred providing the Everton forwards are not too fanciful but rely on directness more than manipulation. Everton want 100 per-cent strikers tomorrow, and if they have them then I think they will win the game even if the tie is beyond them. Reassured that this game will provide the football treat of the year, and as there is going to be a big gate I do ask spectators to go along as early as possible. The shareholders and double-decker stands will be opened as well as the paddock. And you will help a limited gate staff by tendering the correct money. Now to it. The thrills are due to start at 3 o’clock. Everton; W. Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Fairfoull, Jones (Tom), J.V. Humphreys; Mutch, Rosenthal, Lawton, Stevenson, Caskie, or T. Fowler. Blackpool; Roxburgh; Pope, Jones (S.); Farrow, Atkinson, Johnston; Matthews, Dix, Dodds, Jones (CW), Burbanks.
• Tomorrow at Goodison Park, Football league War Cup -1st Round. Everton v. Blackpool, kick-off 3 p.m. admission 1/3 boys and H.M. Forces 7d; Paddock 2/- Stands Extra.

March 12, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton have the big leeway of three goals to make up to get on level terms with Blackpool and then have to get a margin to ensure victory. Much as I would like to see thing do it, I confess to no great feeling of optimism. It would take some doing against even an average side, and Blackpool are very much more than that I look to the Blues to draw at least tomorrow, and have hopes of a win, but it is the aggregate of the two games that counts, and I’m afraid that a going to be the stambling-block. Still, while there’s life there’s hope and Cup warfare even in war-time is full of surprises. A vicinity would be welcome, and spectators can help by their vocal encouragements. Even though they start so far behind, there is sure to be a big crowd to cheer Everton on, and if the Blues have to go out they will go out fighting. Everything points to a record war-time gate at Goodison, for loyal Everton supporters mean to give their team every encouragement. Mr. Theo Kelly has done his best to get the strongest possible side in the field. Jones (T.G.) and Caskie are mentioned in the probables, though there is a big doubt about the latter. Tommy Jones, however, is almost certain to play and this will be a big asset. Mercer is not available and Fairfoull takes his place. Tranmere have characteristically offered to help their neighbours by loaning Ashcroft and Rosenthal, two clever forwards who can hold their own in the best company. Rosenthal has wired that he will be there, but word is still awaited from Ashcroft. Blackpool will be turning out a strong side, with possibly an all international forward line and a stout defence, which includes Atkinson of Bolton as pivot. If obtainable in time the half-time score of the Liverpool-Bury match will be display during the interval. All that now remains is for spectators to arrive as early as possible to avoid late queues and to tender the right money. This last is a great help. Teams from; Everton; W. Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Fairfoull, Jones (Tom), J.V. Humphreys; Mutch, Rosenthal, Lawton, Stevenson, Caskie, or T. Fowler. Blackpool; Roxburgh; Pope, Jones (S.); Farrow, Atkinson, Johnston; Matthews, Dix, Dodds, Jones (CW), Burbanks.

March 15, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 4, Blackpool 3
Blackpool’s Clever Forwards.
By Rangers.
Though Everton put up a great fight to preserve their Cup chances in the game at Goodison Park and actually at one period got on level terms on the two games, they were not quite good enough for Blackpool’s strong side, which had a big advantage in height and weight and possessed a quicker and cleverer forward line. Merseyside’s biggest war-time crowd of over 35,000 spectators got thrills and excitement galore in a match which produced some excellent football. When Dodds withstanding a strong challenge by Jones, scored for Blackpool after five minutes the outlook for Everton looked extremely blank, but so gallantly did the home side fight back that within the hour they had wiped out the four goals deficit on the aggregate, thanks to Curwen, Lawton (2), and Stevenson. At this stage it looked quite on the cards that Everton might provide the biggest surprise of the round, for they were playing well, even if they attack was neither so nicely balanced nor dangerous –looking as Blackpool’s and the visitors’ defence, beginning to get rattled, was glad to kick anywhere to find temporary release. Unfortunately with the score 5-5 on the two games, and with Everton doing at this stage most of the pressing, Tommy Jones who all along had played brilliantly, slipped at the critical moment when tackling Dodds, and the Blackpool centre forward had the ball in the net like a flash. From that point onwards Blackpool, having got over their attack of nerves, began to take command, and though Everton strove desperately the longer the game went the fainter became their chances of pulling it out of the fire. A few minutes from the end Burbanks made the issue secure after Jones had previously kicked away on the line to save a certain goal. Though Everton went out, they did so with flying colours, after a courageous fight against a stronger and better side.
Everton’s Good Defence.
Birkett, if somewhat at fault with Blackpool’s first goal, had no chance with the others, and made several brilliant saves. Everton’s defence all through was good with Jones a tower of strength; Jackson a grand back, and Greenhalgh once more showed that he can counter the wiles and wizardy of Matthews better than any other defender in the country. He so smothered him that the only time the Stoke winger shone was when he veered to the opposite side of the field to escape Greenhalgh’s attention. The Blackpool attack showed greater skill and was more menacing than Everton’s which was weak on the extreme left and patchy at inside forward. Ashcroft of Tranmere put in some splendid work, and Lawton considering the indifferent support he got, did well. Some good chances were missed by both sides, with Blackpool the bigger offenders. Several times the visitors brilliant combination was wrecked by wrenched finishing with only the goalkeeper to beat. Dodds was a constant menace. Hs ball control was outstanding, he was swift off the mark, and shot with power and accuracy. Blackpool’s inside forwards were clever and canny and the defence, bar one period, never put a foot wrong. Everton; W. Birkett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; T. Fairfoull, Jones (TG) (captain) and Curwen, half-backs; L.L. Ashcroft (Tranmere), Rosenthal (Tranmere), Lawton, Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Blackpool; Ruxburgh, goal; Pope and Horton, backs; Farrow, Atkinson (Bolton), and Jones (S.), half-backs; Matthews (Stoke), Dix, Dodds, Beattie, and Burbanks (Sunderland), forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Hartley (Bolton).
• Liverpool Beat Bury 7-2. Pilling, Hulligan (2), Done, (3), and Griffths (Own goal), Davies and Black for Bury

March 15, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton certainty put the “black” in Blackpool at Goodison Park in a game which will live in memory. This was a classic from every standpoint bringing back all the glamour of pre-war football even down to the goal-double-decker cornet player. My opinion is that Everton on this showing, should have gone out of the Cup. From a territorial and often a football point of view they were superior to Blackpool. At least the Blues for the brilliance of their fight back deserved to progress. The Blackpool directors, Messes Harry Evans and Judson, were the first to say to me afterwards that they though Blackpool were lucky to get through. I agreed. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly of the Blues, was naturally disappointed, but he said, I told you we would put up the fight of our lives, “didn’t I.” He did, and they did. Everton gained the glory if not the prizes.
During that first hour –Everton were grand, and surprisingly so seeing that Eph Dodds had increased the Pools advantage to four after only four minutes. If Everton’s half-backs rose to the heights f football brilliance, defence was well-nigh perfect, and the forwards magnificently led by Lawton, were right on top of their game. The all-star Blackpool side, from a confident force, became a band of units as the Blues went forward to wipe out the arrears. Before half-time Curwen and Lawton had reduced the margin to two, and then as Blackpool became more worried and flurried, Lawton and Stevenson banged home a goal apiece to tie it up. The enthusiasm when Stevenson scored was remarkable. Lawton lifted Stevenson in sheer delight. At that dramatic moment I though Everton would pull it off. The Blues kept up the pressure and a Rosenthal first timer went over instead of under. Came one of those unlucky breaks which make all the difference. Dodds was becoming a danger, but Tom Jones, as he usually did in this game, had him covered. In going to play the ball, Tom stepped on it. Down went Jones and Dodds merely had to place it into the net to regain the advantage for Blackpool. Still, Everton came fighting back for Roxburgh to almost give them one, and with everyone throwing all into attack. The vital goal eluded the Blues, and then when it was hopeless Burbanks snatched another for Blackpool. Yes, glory in defeat was Everton’s portion and to each and every player, but forgetting the two Tranmere Rovers lads, Ashcroft and Rosenthal let us pay due tribute. Tommy Jones the new captain was a great skipper and player who well held the ever-dangerous Dodds, George Jackson, came back to prove one of the big stars of a star-sprangled game; Greenhalgh blotted Stan Matthews right out of the game; Curwen and Fairfoull were grand young wing halves until the pace told later on. Birkett gave an inspiring display in goal after an error of judgement in coming out when Dodds got his first, and the attack responded finely to the promptings and encouragements of Lawton. Lawton was a more impressive leader than Dodds, and Stevenson and Ashcroft were excellent. I wish however that Ashcroft had been given more ground passes late on. Rosenthal’s ideas were sound and he worked hard in a laborious way, while Fowler’s only fault was slowness in getting it across. However, this Everton was above criticism and had it not been for Farrow and Jones and the cross field Dix pass the Blues and not Blackpool would have been at Anfield next Saturday.

March 15, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
When Blackpool took the lead after five minutes things looked ominous for Everton, but goals to Curwen, Lawton (two), and Stevenson put a different aspect on matters, made Everton all square on the aggravate with thirty minutes to go, and put the wind up the visitors. For a time it looked as through Everton might pull it off after all but they had bad luck when Tommy Jones, who had played brilliantly all through, slipped up when challenging Dodds, and the Blackpool centre accepting this gift of the gods with alacrity had the ball in the net like a flash. Everton faded right out after another to Burbanks late on made it watertight for Blackpool. It was a thrill packed game, before a war time record crowd of over 35,000, but though Everton won the match, Blackpool were the better side. They were more balanced in attack, and apart from one spell, very sound in defence, whereas Everton’s front line was weak at left outside and patchy at inside forward. The home defence was good, with Jackson and Jones outstanding and Greenhalgh again playing Matthews better than anybody I’ve seen. The Stoke man was rarely in the picture. Dodds, by the way was Blackpool’s first goal, not Dix as I erroneously telephoned on Saturday. By one of those curious mental freaks which sometimes leads one to keep calling Mr. Black Mr. White I twice phoned Dix when I meant Dodds. The two are so dissimilar that I wondered for a time afterwards whether this was the first sign of premature senile decay, but the fear was removed when I developed a temperature of 102 yesterday, and found that it was not the excitement of the game, but apparently the germs of influenza streooconcet, or whatever the medico call the little beggars which had not their fangs into us, and which for the next few days will confine me to the nest of a bedside telephone.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 16 March 1943

There is littie that gives more pleasure than receive letters from old sporting friends who are now out doing their bit with the Forces. Ted Sagar, Everton's international goalkeeper, sends news about his three big games in Persia the first game won 1-0 against the Army and Air Force team and then defeated Army side 5-2 Then played the Persian International team and were unluckv to lose 1-0. Three of the Persian forwards could do even time. In fact they were all very fast. The Persians play good football but they have the same fault the Austrians—they cannot shoot I have never played a better ground than for this international bar Wembley There was a gate of 18 000 and was just like old times. Cheerio to all Merseyside friends."

March 16, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
In Lancs, Cup Match With Everton
Ranger’s Notes
Southport the giant killers of the first half of the season, are taking their Lancashire Cup match with Everton on Saturday very seriously. They suffered harsh treatment at the hands of Everton in the Cup tournament, but are determined that they will do better next time. In pre-cup days Southport were one of the most outstanding sides in the country. Were they not the first team to lower the honours of the all-conquering Blackpool and also smash Liverpool’s winning sequence? Well, they hope to have the services of some of the players who made them such a menace to all and sundry for the game with Everton at Haig Avenue. Everton, however, are getting into something like their true form for, despite they defeat by Blackpool they gave an excellent account of themselves, and they will be all out to repeat their victories over Southport. Don’t let us forget that Lancashire Cup game also count in league games, so there is every reason why both teams will be all out to win. Since the migration from Southport of many players their stock has fallen badly but if they can field the team which they have to mind Everton will not get away so easily from Haig Avenue. Their officials are making strenuous efforts to bring back some of the “lost man” and if they are successful I can promised patrons that they will see a grand game.

March 18, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton turn to the other cup –the Lancashire Senior Cup –and go to Haig Avenue to oppose Southport against whom they piled up 18 goals in two cup-ties. The Southport fans are fortunate in that Everton are fielding an all-star side, with four internationals. George Mutch of Preston and Scotland returns to inside-right, and Rennie Dellow, now recovered from injury will be Mutch’s partner. Tommy Jones continues at centre half as skipper of the side and on his flanks will be Stan Bentham, now recovered from the injury received at Blackpool, and Jack Humphreys. As compared with the conquerors of Blackpool, Fairfoull, Curwen, Ashcroft and Rosenthal are absent.
Everton Reserves will be at home to Marine in a George Mahon Cup match and The Colts visit Shaftesbury Boys Club.
Everton; W. Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), J.V. Humphreys; Dellow, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, T. Fowler.

March 19, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton turn to Lancashire Senior Cup business and take a strong side to Haig avenue tomorrow to face Southport in the first 2leg” of the first round tie. The Southport folk are lucky in that the Blues include no fewer than five of their pre-war championship side, and four internationals. It was against Southport that Everton gained the goals which enabled them to quality for the cup –yes 18 in two matches was the Everton 2bag” –and while they might not repeat these prodigious scoring feats in the county cup. I expect Everton to win tomorrow and so go a long way towards cup progress. Everton are playing great football just now and I take Everton to win. Everton; W. Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), J.V. Humphreys; Dellow, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, T. Fowler.
• Tomorrow at Goodison Park, George Mahon Cup-tie; Everton Reserves v. Marine, kick-off 3.0 p.m. Admission 6d, Boys 2d.

March 19, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton are engaged in a Lancashire Cup-tie with Southport at Haig Avenue, and if the latter have at their disposal the men they are seeking, then Everton may not find it so easy to win. The Sandgrounders are hoping to field several of the players who made them a really good side before Christmas; a team which was capable of beating such strong sides as Blackpool and Liverpool. They also include Hugh O’Donnell among the probables, his first appearance for Southport. The fact that the Everton side scored four goals against the strong defensive Blackpool speaks well for their marksmanship which has been one of their weaknesses but with Lawton back in the centre there is greater driving force in the line. Teams; Everton; W. Birkett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), J.V. Humphreys; Dellow, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, T. Fowler. Southport; (from); John; Weaver, Tennant; Kirby, Johnson, Delaney, Evans, Flack, Rawlings, Simpskin, Ball, Frost, Deverall, O’Donnell (H.).

Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 20 March 1943

The North-West Area match with the London representative fixed for Saturday evening. May 1, Everton A.F.C. ground, Goodison Park. The North-West team will be selected after the area trial at Holt School, Childwall, on April 3. Two of the units concerned in last Saturday's Merseyside gone trial did not send their complement nominated players, and result one trial match could be played Lieut J. H Amos, Sports Committee secretary, quickly overcame the difficulty and, by constantly making changes, every cadet attending had at least a quarter of an hour on the field. Lieutenants Thomas (South Liverpool) and S 8. C. Meikle (Crosby)—other members of the sports committee—kept keen eye on the trial, and afterwards made their selectione lor nomination for the area trial next month. I understand the Manchester zone also had a trial last Saturday and that nominations have been forwarded.

March 20, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Southport:- John, goal; Tennant, and Kirby, backs; Johnson, Evans and Flack, half-backs; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Deverall and Tierney, forwards. Everton; Birkett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Humphreys, Jones (TG) (captain), and Boyes, half-backs; Dellow, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell, Bolton. Southport surprised Everton in this Lancashire Senior Cup tie at Haig Avenue by starting off in dashing style to take a goal lead within five minutes. Frost and Tierney by clever play on the left, made the opening from which Ball had the easiest of task in beating Birkett. Everton did not take the early reverse lying down, and Jones was called upon to hold a lone shot from Boyes and turn a close range effort from Lawton for a corner. Southport were showing some clever risks in combination, and Deverall was distinctly unlucky to see a defender’s foot turn his strong effort over the bar. Rawlings got in a hard ground shot which Birkett had to fling himself across the goal to smother. From this clearance Stevenson got in a similar one which John held with difficulty. Evans was off ten minutes and Southport celebrated his return by increasing their lead through Frost, who headed under the bar.
Half-time; Southport 2, Everton 0.
The second half was barely a minute old when Southport were three up, Rawlings raced down the wing and centred, Deverall whose shot cannoned in from off the crossbar. As the other Jones hit an upright with a powerful drive. Rawlings provided Frost with a smart centre from the latter to head Southport’s fourth goal in 60 minutes. After 23 minutes Fowler receiving in an unmarked position reduced Everton’s arrears. Final; Southport 4, Everton 1.
Everton “A” v Marine
Veacock and Chaney put in good shots for Marine but after twenty minutes Curran gave Everton the lead. Three minutes from the interval marine equalised through Veacock. Half-time; Everton “A” 1 Marine 1.

March 22, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Southport 4, Everton 1
Lancashire Senior Cup
Whatever hopes Everton had of making progress in the Lancashire Senior Cup received a sharp setback at Haig Avenue, where Southport playing the sort of football which carried them to success early in the season, won by 4-1. Everton failed to settle down; their play never reached the heights expected of a team which had no overwhelmingly defeated Southport only a few weeks ago. Their attack lacked cohesion and indeed, but for one or two efforts early on Lawton was almost completely out of the picture. Whatever threat Everton made to offset an early goal by Ball came mainly from the wing men. Southport’s forwards and half backs worked together well enough to kept the visiting defence busy, and better finishing might have brought more than a second goal from Frost just on the interval. Immediately after the resumption Deverall put Southport three up, and Frost settled the issue at the 60th minute with a fourth goal. Both these latter goals came from centres by Rawlings, who had one of his bets games. Subsequently Jones, the Everton centre half, tried to show his forwards they way to goal, and hit the Southport woodwork twice with good efforts. It was left to Fowler, the left wingman to get a consolation goal late on when Everton began to fight back. The 3,000 spectators, who paid £143, saw plenty of thrills. Southport:- John, goal; Tennant, and Kirby, backs; Johnson, Evans and Flack, half-backs; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Deverall and Tierney, forwards. Everton; Birkett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Humphreys, Jones (TG) (captain), and Boyes, half-backs; Dellow, Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson and Fowler, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell, Bolton.
• Liverpool beat Blackpool 3-1, Balmer (2), Done for Liverpool and Dix (Penalty) for Blackpool.

March 22, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Notes
Definitely the biggest shock of the day was provided by Southport, who in the Lancashire Senior Cup with Everton at Haig Avenue, piled up a foul goal lead, and eventually won 4-1. This fall of the Blues, following their brilliant display against Blackpool, is almost unbelievable. Yes and Everton had out all the regular stars with the addition of Wally Boyes. Southport certainly rose to the heights their forward work being excellent, particularly on the wings. In the inside positions, too, the Port has the opportunists and once they took the lead Everton found it extremely difficult to settle down to effective football. Ball, Frost (2), and Deverall got goals before Fowler reduced the lead in a game which stamped Southport as much the more dynamic combination. Everton will have to show vast improvement at Goodison Park on Saturday in the second “leg” if they are to turn the tide. Three goals takes some pulling back even allowing for the fact that in cup games Everton scored 18 goals against the Port in two matches.

March 22, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton fell heartily against Southport in the Lancashire Senior Cup at Haig Avenue. It was a setback and they will have all their work cut out to make up the leeway in the return game at Goodison Park on Saturday. A few weeks ago the teams met in the Cup and Everton strongly swamped Southport in both games. They failed to reproduce that form and Southport were sound winners this time. They played the right sort of football, the football which brought them many scraps in pre-war days and Everton were never allowed to get together. Southport worked as one, so much so that the Everton attack was completely subdued. They was little shooting from the Everton forwards, and it was not until late on that Fowler scored a consolation goal. Tom Jones twice hit the woodwork, but the Southport goalkeeper was as well covered by the co-defenders that he had few shots to deal with.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 23 March 1943

George Burnett,, an Everton goalkeeper, of Stanley Park-avenue. Litnerland, was at Bootle Police Court, today, fined a total of £2O on three summonses of being absent from work and one of persistent lateness. Burnett is employed at a firm as a brass finisher. Mr. Sydney Haworth, prosecuting for the Ministry of Labour, said that some of these absences were cause through playing football. Burnett pleaded not guilty to being absent saying that he asked the chargehand for time off but the chargehand would not come to court to bear that out. He pleaded guilty to persistent lateness. The chairman (Councillor J. S. Riley) warned Burnett and said, You can warn your friends at the works that they cannot expect any sympathy if they ever come into this court."

March 25, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
George Burnett returns to Everton’s team to meet Southport in the second “leg” of the Lancashire Senior Cup first round tie, at Goodison Park, on Saturday. This will be Burnett’s first appearance with the Blues since before Christmas. Burnett lost his place at Christmas and played for Tranmere Rovers, with whom he injured an ankle. That injury has kept him injured an ankle. That injury has kept him inactive ever since, but Burnett has been under treatment and is better again. Burnett takes the place of Birkett, and while Jackson and Greenhalgh definitely will be the full backs Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly is doubtful about the remainder of the side. Mr. Kelly has given names for the remaining eight positions, but of course there may be other changes. Southport make one change, for Butler returns to outside left to place Tieney. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), J.V. Humphreys, Curwen; Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, Lyon, T. Fowler. Southport; John; Tennant, Kirby; Johnson, Evans, Flack; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Deverall, Butler.

March 26, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger Notes.
Everton find themselves in a very different position for their Lancashire Cup-tie with Southport than they were when the pair met in the second leg of their League Cup game a few weeks back. This time the Blues start off three goals to the bad, and these will take some wiping out against the Sandgrounders who are determined to prove that their form in the earlier games was all wrong. Stiff though the task is, Everton should manage it if they can forget what is at stake and get down to their normal game, which unfortunately they haven’t been able to do on many occasions recently. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), J.V. Humphreys, Curwen; Mutch, Lawton, Stevenson, Lyon, T. Fowler. Southport; John; Tennant, Kirby; Johnson, Evans, Flack; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Deverall, Butler.

March 27, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, McDonnell and Curwen, half-backs; Dunkley (Stoke City), Mutch (Preston NE), Lawton, Stevenson, and T. Fowler, forwards. Southport; John, goal; Tennent and Kirby, backs; Johnson, Evans, and Flack, half-backs; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Delaney, and Butler, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell (Bolton). Everton had to make two late-on changes for the second leg of their Lancashire cup game with Southport. McDonnell, a second team player, came in for T.G. Jones as centre half, and Dunkley, of Stoke City was at outside right. Considering that Everton were three goals behind, they started in hesitant fashion, and missed several chances in the first ten minutes. Lawton headed wide from a Fowler centre, and Mutch only hit a shot half-heardedily from a few yards out. Southport were more penetrating in their forward movements, and Frost hearty surprised Burnett when he nipped in to take a faulty pass-back by Jackson with his head, but the goalkeeper made a good recovery. Twice Lawton’s speed surprised, the Southport defence, but his headers went just over the bar. Everton missed changes through poorly taken corners by both Dunkley and Fowler.
Lawton Through
Lawton scored for Everton after 27 minutes, neatly converting a square pass from Dunkley after a Fowler centre had passed across the goalmouth. This success livened Everton up, and Mutch was twice near with strong shots. Butler was Southport’s most dangerous forward, but his centres were not accepted by his inside men, and Greenhalgh was quick to clear his lines. Many good Everton moves went awry through weak play on the right, while Stevenson also missed a chance in falling over with only the goalkeeper to beat Southport’s best shots so far had come from Flack, the left half and these were safely dealt with by Burnett.
Half-time; Everton 1, Southport 0.
Everton opened the second half with an attack which should have brought a goal, both Lawton and Mutch were very half-hearted in they attempts to convert Fowler’s centre. Southport then had a chance and Butler’s great shot was just tipped over the bar. At the 50th minute Flack scored for Southport after a free kick by Rawlings had been headed out; Burnett having no chance, with the return. Everton fell away after this, and their play was of a very scrappy nature. Everton took the lead again when Mutch scored after 67 minutes from Lawton’s close in shot, which seemed to be deflected by Mutch’s body. Final; Everton 2, Southport 1.

March 29, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 2, Southport 1
Southport Go Forward In Lancashire Cup.
Everton failed to make up the leeway of three goals necessary to give then an interest in the second round of the Lancashire Cup and, although they defeated Southport by two goals to one at Goodison Park on Saturday, there was no credit in the win. It was the poorest display of football seen here this season, and Southport will have to do much better than this to go further in the competition. Two later changes in the Everton side upset the balance of the team, for Dunkley, of Stoke City, on the right, and Donnelly a reserve team player were weak links, while George Jackson had a poor day against Butler, Southport’s most trustful forward, Lawton, who worked hard had a stiff task against Evans, Kirby and Tennant, but even he was not as sure in his heading as in recent weeks. He got the first goal from about the only good centre Dunkley put across, and for a short time there, seemed to be hopes of an Everton goal rush, but Mutch missed two chances so that at half-time the home side was still two goals behind. Five minutes after the restart, Southport restored their cup lead to three with a Flack’s goal. He had been Southport’s most consistent shooter, and when a Rawling’s free kick was headed out of the goalmouth sent in an unstoppable shot. Everton never really, got going after this reverse, and although Mutch scored a second goal, it was actually a Lawton shot that hit him –it never seemed probable that they would gain another three goals to put Southport out of the Cup. The visitors were not brilliant in attack, except for some thrilling runs by Butler, but their defence always had the measure of the Everton patchy forward line. This was a display that both sides should forget. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, McDonnell and Curwen, half-backs; Dunkley (Stoke City), Mutch (Preston NE), Lawton, Stevenson, and T. Fowler, forwards. Southport; John, goal; Tennent and Kirby, backs; Johnson, Evans, and Flack, half-backs; Rawlings, Ball, Frost, Delaney, and Butler, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell (Bolton).
• Liverpool lost by 5 goals to nil against Blackpool. Dodds (2), Finan (2), Dix (Penalty) scored for Blackpool.

March 29, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Southport qualified to meet either Liverpool or Chester in the Lancashire Senior Cup second round by preserving their home win lead over Everton at Goodison Park. True Southport lost 2-1, but they got there on aggregate against a rather lifeless Everton, who never seemed able to get going. My colleague who was at the game assures me that Everton’s display was poor. The Blues defence was too wide open and there were many deficiencies in attack. Everton scored first through Lawton to give the 11,000 spectators hope but Flack equalised before Mutch helped home a Lawton effort. Apparently this was scrappy fare, with Southport definitely the more purposeful and zealous side. Obviously Everton could not overcome team troubles, and the newcomers were not successful.

March 29, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton did not make a fight or it at Goodison Park on Saturday against Southport and although they won by 2 goals to 1 there was never a moment when the spectators felt that the Blues would obtain the necessary four goals to win the second leg of this Lancashire Cup-tie. Hopes were dashed when it was seen that the two late-on changes, Dunkley of Stoke City, at outside right, and Donnelly a reserve player, at centre half were weak links in an eleven which never played together like a team throughout the ninety minutes. Dunkley was the biggest disappointing, and as a result Lawton was left in the position of trying to crash through the solid defence of Evans, Tennant and Kirby almost unaided.





March 1943