Everton Independent Research Data


May 3, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The County Combination teams met in one of the first round ties of the Medals Competition, when Everton “A” and New Brighton Reserves were in opposition at Goodison Park last night. There was an even and goalless first half, and when Bryson for New Brighton from a penalty awarded for a trip, it looked as though the visitors might win. Everton, however, had been playing the better football and eventually with only a little over ten minutes left, Virr with a header and a drive scored two goals within a minute of each other and won the game for his side. The Blues in the second half kept the New Brighton defence at full stretch for long periods, but Glover and Veas were on their best behaviour. For Everton Jeffs Virr, Young, and Alford were good.

Edinburgh Evening News - Friday 04 May 1923
Parker, the old Everton-Rangers centrte, has parted company with Notts Forest and is likely to return to Scotland. 

May 4, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The Final of the Liverpool Senior Cup was played at Anfield last night, when Everton Reserves beat Tranmere Rovers by 4-2 before 7,500 spectators. Within the first 21 minutes' Everton had a three-goal lead. The first was scored by Harrison, who beat Bradshaw with a great cross drive. The second followed three minutes later, Harrison lobbing the ball over to Miller, for the latter to score. Number three came from Forbes after passing with Williams. Tranmere had given the Everton side a good game, but found the sun a handicap. They reduced the lead after half-an-hour, Beswick beating Harland after a header from Sayer had hit the post. Four minutes after the interval a mistake by Thompson the Rovers right back, let in Williams and Forbes, for the former to beat Bradshaw. Beswick added a second goal for Tranmere following tricky work by Moretis. Tranmere, who were without Campbell and Hilton might have done better had they been at full strength, for there was just a trifle neglect of Evans, and the feeling was not all that it might have been. Everton deserving winners, if only for their marksmanship. Bradshaw in the Rovers' goal, was kept fairly busy, but gave a smart display. The cup and medals were presented to the players by Councillor Cross, who complimented both teams on their display. Everton: - Harland goal, Caddick, and Livingstone backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Forbes Williams, and Harrison, forwards. Tranmere Rovers: - Bradshaw, goal, Thompson, and Stuart, backs, Campbell, Halstead, and Sewell, half-backs Moreton, Beswick, Sayer, Hilton, and Evans, forwards.

May 4, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Played on New Brighton's ground. Liverpool were much the stronger team and at the interval led by three goals to nil. In the second half however, they slackened off, with the result that Everton were repeatedly on the attack though they never looked like scoring. At the beginning Everton faced the sun and the slope, and Liverpool, playing beautiful combination, early took the lead while later H. Wadsworth placed them further ahead when Gilhesphy swung across a fine centre. Before the interval Owens headed a third goal for Liverpool. Afterwards Everton had most of the attacking, but could not shoot with any promptness or direction, and just before the end Gilhespy went away on his own, and, beating three men, left Lawson helpless with a ground shot. Both goalkeepers made several good saves, and Caddick was the best back on the field.

May 5 1923. The Liverpool Football Echo.
Mr. Joe Manifold writes me: - Many thanks for your letter also for the information you give. Football in Spain is craze, easily out doing bullfighting for popularity. Barcelona Football Club, regularly get 20,000 spectators and at course there are many other clubs. They play extremely well always with a light ball on a hard dry ground. Two seasons ago Newcastle came out with a side including I think seven internationals. They won one game 3-2 and lost the other 2-3. Last season Notts County and St Mirren, and other well-known teams failed to win a match against Barcelona. Their trainer is an Englishman called Greenwell. They are a lot of Liverpool chaps here who will be delighted as I am to hear that Everton and Birmingham are coming out though they do not seen to have been doing so well this season. In so far as swimming is concerned, Spain has “come on” in leaps and bounds. Two years ago they went down badly to the Belgians but last summer they beat them easily. Austrian and Swedish polo teams are due over next month or in June. The Spaniards (to get back to football are very sick because they challenged, or invited a representative English team to matches in Barcelona and for some reason or other their request was turned down by the A.F.A. However, when Everton and Birmingham do play here, I shall send you the translation reports from the sport papers. It might interest Everton and Birmingham to known that they would be heartily welcomed at “the British” called Santa Anna 30 bies, when they here.

May 7 1993. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton concluded their season by maintaining the vastly improved form, which they have been showing for some little time past. The going at Deepdale a rather on the hard side, but a big crowd witnessed one of the keenest encounters that have been seen on this famous enclosure this season. No one, to witness the strenuous efforts of both sides, would have suspected that it was an end of the season match. On the contrary, both sides exerted themselves to the full, and an honorable draw was a very satisfactory conclusion to what had been a most exhilarating game. It is true, that the Everton forwards were occasionally disjointed, but this was accounted for in some measure by an injury to Cock, and a temporary rearrangement of the frontline. Generally speaking, however, the attack, well backed by the halves, was quite convincing and the defence was thoroughly sound. The game opened in the most exciting fashion, for it had not been in operation a couple of minutes before Troup put the ball to Cock and the Everton centre scored at close range. Preston replied immediately with an equaliser from the foot of Roberts, who beat Fern all the way. The remainder of the first period was full of good things, including some wonderfully clever work by Troup, but nothing had been added to the score when the interval came. In the second period two further goals –both good ones –were registered. Everton pressed strongly for a considerable period, and Troup put the leather to Williams, who scored with a drive that hit the inside of the post. Again North End rose to the occasion, for Rawlings beat Fern with a hard shot, which the Everton custodian got to but failed to hold. Teams: - Preston North End: - Branston, goal, Hamilton, and Yates, backs, Gilchrist, Marshall, and Crawford, half-backs, Rawlings, Woodhouse, Roberts, Laird, and Quaintrill, forwards. Everton: - fern goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Williams, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. HW. Andrews.

May 7, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Although Everton only managed to win by the narrow margin of one goal, scored by Miller after thirteen minutes' play, they were full value for more. During the first half play was fairly even, with Everton more dangerous at close quarters, Harrison and Virr being in great form on the left wing. The Wolves goal had some narrow escapes from Parry Forbes, and Harrison. During the second half although Everton were continually pressing, they failed to add to their score, and on one occasion French (a new left-back on trial) hesitated and almost brought about the equaliser for Lake, the Wolves' centre, shot hard against the upright, Caddick luckily clearing from the rebound. Everton: - Harland, goal, Caddick, and French backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Virr, and Harrison forwards.

May 15, 1923. The Liverpool Echo
Mr. J. W. Manifold, ex-Liverpoolian sends me a translation of the impression caused by Birmingham, who played at Barcelona on Sunday and Monday. They got an excellent reception from the crowd which is nearly always friendly to the visitors, inspite of the Spanish reputation for politeness, Ilford City (Isthmian League) lost to Barcelona football club 2-1 and Drew 2-2. Dundee are down here next week, and several others English teams are also touring Spain. They will not have the pleasure of seeing either Everton or Liverpool out these years; I am told that they asked for £2,500, which seems to be rather stiff.

May 17, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The balance sheet of the Everton Football club, issued yesterday shows a loss on the year's working of £730.7s. The income amounted to £47,490, gate receipts, and proceeds of matches play away totally £16.772. On the expenditure side player's wages and transfer fee etc, total of £20,113, gate division to visitors amounted to £5.190 travelling expenses of £2713, while the entertainment tax absorbed £9,138. The directors recommend to payment of a dividend at the rate of 5 per cent, per annual, free of income tax, on called up capital. The retiring directors are Messieurs H Banks, WG Gibbons and WJ Sawyer who are eligible and offer themselves for re-election, no other nominations have been received, these gentleman will accordingly be declared elected. The annual meeting will be held at the law association-rooms, cook street on Thursday next.

Hull Daily Mail-Saturday 19 May 1923
Chesterfield Town on Friday afternoon transferred Henry Leddy. the centre-half, to Grimsby Town. Teddy, who formerly played for Everton. recently brought an action against Chesterfield club to enforce a wages agreement, and won an appeal when the judge in the County Court decided against him. He is big, powerful player.

May 19, 1923. Hull Daily Mail
Chesterfield Town on Friday afternoon transferred Henry Leddy the centre half, to Grimsby Town. Leddy, who formerly played for Everton recently brought an action against Chesterfield club to enforce a wages agreement, and won an appeal when the judge in the County Court decided against him. His is a big powerful player.

May 25, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At the Everton Football Club meeting last night at the law-rooms, Cook Street, Mr. Archibald Leitch the football architect presented a model of the proposed stand to be built in a year time on the Bullens roadside of Goodison Park stands. It was explained that the new stand would accommodate 4,900 people seated and the underneath there would be convered accommodation for 10,000 people, which would mean a distinct gain to the club and comfort to the spectators. It was felt that the club should move as soon as possible, but owning to the lean year experienced, the directors had decided to wait for a year before proceeding with the work The shareholders through Mr. Wright passed a vote of thanks to the directors for spendid work they had done during the season.

Mr. W.C Cuff chairman was support by Messrs. AR Wade, WS Sawyer, A. Coffey, E. Green, J, Sharp, w. banks and w gibbons, Mr. cuff expressed sorrows at the loss of their director Mr. Charles Dickinson and a vote of condolence to the widow was passed. Mr. cuff outlined last season's work and said at one point they had collected 26 points from twenty-eight matches and afterwards, they took 21 points from fourteen matches, since the inclusion of Cock McBain and Troup the players welded into a fine team and they could look to the future with every confidence. Gate receipts had gone down through severe unemployment, but he was sure that next season their attractive side would draw large gates. He congratulated Liverpool upon their victory and said they had performed a remarkable feat. He congratulated Mr. jack sharp, their co-opted director up on his new post as captain of the Lancashire cricket. There was debit balance of £750 due to the amount of money necessary to buy new players. They had paid £126 journeys after players, and would always go for the right type and for the man who would fit the Everton style of play. The accounts were passed and a divided of 5 per cent declared. It transpired that the estimated cost of the new stand was £27,000 and that it was possible there would be parking for motor cars, on the present position where the team indulges in shooting practice. Mr. Tom McIntosh, secretary announced that the following players had been signed for the next season: -
Goalkeepers, Fern, Harland, backs, Raitt, McDonald, Livingstone, Downs, Weller, Caddick, half-backs Peacock, McBain, Hart Fleetwood, Brown, Reid, Grenyer, McCrea, Rooney, forward Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock Chadwick, Troup, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Williams Harrison, Wall, and Virr

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 11 June 1923
Barrow have secured the services of Frank Alford, outside left, who left Barrow to play for Everton two seasons ago. 



May 1923