Everton Independent Research Data


May 2, 1924. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have had possession of the Liverpool Senior Cup for three seasons, but if Tranmere Rovers had taken all their chances in the initial half at Anfield, last night, Everton task to retain it would have been a much more severe one. As it was they got they goals through Peacock and Forbes against one obtained by Moreton. The first half was a grim struggle and the Rovers were the more dangerous when in the vicinity of Kendall, but their finishing was not as good as their general play, in which they were equal to their rivals. At the end of twenty minutes Peacock ran through the opposition and scored a clever goal, which Mitchell dived for but was unable to prevent. Tranmere were not daunted and within four minutes had drawn level through Moreton, who had just previously suffered an injury, which, however, was not sufficient to prevent him from beating Kerr after Brown had made an inward pass and he went on and drove in a terrific shot from close range. Stuart, in particular, was playing a fine defensive game for the Rovers, and it was due to his coolness which kicking and his generalship that the Everton attackers failed to improve in their goal scoring. Sayer missed several opportunities, and in one occasion, when although obviously offside, the referee allowed him to go on, he sent wide from three yards' range. In the second half Littlehales had an equally fine opportunity within the first minute, but threw it away. Then Everton gradually took the game in hand. Forbes getting possession from a free kick, ran down the wing, beat Jackson and as Mitchell advanced shot into the far corner of the net. Tranmere were a tired team in the second half, and found the Everton half-back line too strong for them especially Reid, who was the man of the evening in attack and defence. In the last few minutes the Rovers tried hard to pull the game out of the fire, but the Everton defence prevailed. It was Tranmere's fourth time in this final, and their have yet to win.

May 3, 1924. The Liverpool Football Echo.
I Understand that McBain will sign for Everton tonight, and that Miller, the useful young forward, who has not been retained is likely to be fixed up at Bury. I hope so, at any rate, because I feel this boy is likely to come on.

May 3, 1924. The Liverpool Football Echo.
At Goodison Park. New Brighton got away after twenty-five minutes' and Whitter scored with a fine shot. From a centre Everton pressed and Gannon was lucky to save from Pyke. Half-time Everton nil, New Brighton Reserves m1. In the second half, after Parry had missed a glorious chance of scoring, Houghton caused Macey to save a fast grounder, and shortly afterwards New Brighton started a fine movement. Thompson, however, shooting wide. In the last few minutes New Brighton pressed strongly and after beating the Everton backs, Barton put in a hard drive, which Macey had to send round the post.

May 5, 1924. The Evening Express
Neil McBain again signed on for Everton on Saturday afternoon and this completes the list of first team men all of whom have now come to terms for next season. Alan Grenyer has been offered the maximum, but at the moment has not appended his name to the form. Everton leave for Spain on Wednesday. They will play several matches in Barcelona.

May 5 1924. The Daily Courier.
Everton wound up the season's campaign with a friendly match with Glentoran at Goodison Park. The Irishmen won, but the Blues did not take the game too seriously. Neither did the spectators, who, nevertheless saw some dainty work by the home side. Glentoran scored first by Keenan, their centre forward, who, although temporarily laid out in a collision with Raitt, managed to get his foot to a pass and notch a “blind” goal. Jack Cock was injured in the first half-hour, and he was substituted by Green, of the “A” team, and the youngster did remarkably well. after the interval Meek put on another goal for the visitors, Irvine got through for Everton, and then Green equalised, repeating the feat after McKeague had put Glentoran ahead. Before the end, however, Meeks scored a fourth goal, and the Irishmen went away happy. The form of Allen, at outside-left, was a feature of the play, and Bowden was a good goalkeeper. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Parry, Irvine, Cock (Green 46), Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Glentoran: - Bowden goal, Reid (h), and Bowman, backs, Evans, Burns, and Lach, half-backs, Allen, Meek, Keenan, Reid (w), and McKeague, forwards.

May 5 1924. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury

May 14 1924. The Liverpool Echo
Everton have today signed up Glover, the New Brighton back, who has long been watched and wanted by First Division clubs and has long been in the “taken and wanted” column. Glover looks older than he is –he is only 21 –and Everton reckon they have strengthened their defence appreciably by this stroke of business. I doubt not that they have paid a foolish price, for New Brighton have not had a good time financially and have had to look around for some means of balancing up their money-standing. Glover is not a big fellow –he is limby and cite rather than dashing and daring. He depends upon real football all the time, though he is not short of pace. I well remember his hey-day and also New Brighton Club's hey-day. They had drawn at home against Crewe Alexandra in their preliminary rounds of the F.A. or English Cup, as it is generally known. A match away looked black for them but thanks to some fine work by Kenny Campbell, some lovely dribbling by Crooks and a goal to the good, New Brighton came back to make history in the knock out competition. That day Glover was called up suddenly, and there is no doubt that it was a big ordeal for him to have to face. The old South Liverpool boy, however, never put a foot wrong, and the confidence he gained that day in the stress of the game has never been lost to him. He has grown in grace and in his game, and it is a good to think that yet another local has been linked up with Everton, who, days gone by had many season's work out of locals like the brothers Balmer and Crelley. I know that Mr. Jack Sharp thinks that Glover is ripe for the first team inclusion if necessary –that is his considered judgement. Glover, in the Cup tie refereed to earlier on, was appearing at left back, and when Niven met with his leg trouble, Glover was moved to right back, and there showed his versatility and his capacity for the use of either foot –which is a rarity in these days of one footed players.

May 14, 1924. The Liverpool Echo
The Everton team, which won the first game on tour, landed at Barcelona after a mixed “landing.” This is a special informative letter from Duggie Livingstone, the popular full-back:- Arrived here last night after a somewhat mixed journey. The part from Liverpool to London was nice and quiet –also the night in London; but the Channel next day was terrible! Most of the boys had to seek assistance of the deck hands! I had my share of it, and I am sure it must have been funny to see Billy Brown and myself on all fours, on top deck! Talk about physical jerks –the jerking of the inner man is something to remember. Alec Troup, who had more than his share of the “doings” aboard, was the victim of one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard. He had been heave-oh-ing for quite a long spell, and when we landed at Boulogne a deck hand came along and said “Boulogne M'sieur” Alec answered; “ I don't know; I have been here for two hours already!”

We were all glad to get landed, and get into the train for Paris, where we arrived about 5pm, Thursday, and had quite a nice time. All day Friday we spent in a chara seeing the slights, amongst which were the Church of St. Gervais, where the shell from the long range gun of the Germans hit during the war, and killed 72 people, Napoleon's tomb (wonderful), the railway carriage in which the armistice was signed and which was presented to the City of Paris, and a host of other interesting places. We left Paris Friday night 9.15, and as I have previously stated, arrived here last Saturday, 7-30, almost a whole day in the train. The country is lovely here, and we were kept interested all the times. Eddy Polo, the great film actor, traveled with us the whole way, and mixed freely with the boys. D. Raitt entertained him with the melodeon, and he seemed to enjoy it very much. We were all “snapped” together at the frontier station, and you will likely be seeing it when we get home. It was very interesting to hear some of his film experiences. The weather is very hot, and we have had to cast off all underclothings! We played our first game today (Sunday), and won 2-1, William's playing in place of Cock (Injured), scored both goals. The Spaniards are decent players, but are not too particular how they go in, as some of us know, tonight! There would be close on 20,000 spectators, and they gave us a fine reception. We play again next Saturday.

May 16, 1924. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Frank Hargreaves who is twenty-one years of age, and has just joined Everton belong to Ashton the centre of active junior and Cheshire League football. Hargreaves is a brainy player, full of quiet resource and possesses wonderful ball control. He stands 5ft 8ins and weights 10stone 10pounds, signed from Oldham athletic.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 17 May 1924
Everton report an important capture in Frank Hargreaves, an inside left, who used to be with Manchester North End and Droylesden, before being weaned from junior ranks by Dave Ashworth, who took him as an Oldham Athletic player last September.  Hargreaves went straight into the Athletic side and played 33 consecutive games; his goal crop was three! Nothing amazing about this form, one will say, but the fact is that when Hargreaves found himself along side the amateur J.E. Blair, he "made" that player into the phenomental marksman he was.  Just wait till next season.  Blair may not get the goals he has done in the season just closed.  Everton have taken a clever calculating lad in this 20-years old inside left.  he is ready for exploting now, but a slow development process for 18 months would bring greater returns than rushing him into the hurley-burly of First Division warfare. 

May 22, 1924. The Liverpool Echo.
Here is another crafty letter from one of the Everton “nuts” now in Barcelona. Duggie Livingstone writes: - Here I am again, after a most enjoyable week. The weather has been brilliant, and the Spanish people have treated us very well. Almost every day they have been showing us round the place, and two of the places have been worth coming all the way to see. But I will take them in turn, so here goes for the week's doings.

Monday, we went to a place called Tebidabo. It is a high hill, which stands at the back of the city, and there are cars, which take visitors right up to the top of the hill, where one gets a wonderful birds eye view of the city and the Mediterranean. There are also amusements, etc, on the top and it seemed to be a popular place with visitors. Tuesday, the chairman of the Barcelona club took us to a yacht club and gave us a fine little cruise in a motor boat. Wednesday, we visited a poultry exhibition and one of the bull-rings. I think there are three of them here. We were shown all over it, and it was very interesting. There is a little chapel for the toreadora for prayer before they enter the arena, and also a hospital, with operating room and beds complete in case the wrong side wins! The boys would have liked very much to see a fight, but they take place at the same time as out matches. Thursday, we went to a place called Montserrat, where I saw the finest sight I have ever seen. It is a mountain (about three thousand feet high I should say), and trains take you right to the top. First of all we had a two hours' journey on train to the foot of the mountain, then changed into a little train, which took us up to a monastery near the top, which we inspected and found very interesting. After having a look round that part of the hill, we got into another train, hauled by a wire rope and it took us to the top. It was from there I saw the sight mentioned. Down below was just a maze of vineries and fruit trees of all description around.

Friday, we had a day off, which a few of us spent bathing in the sea, in fact, we have been there a few mornings, and have had a lovely time. Those of us who didn't go bathing have been golfing, and had a nice time, but as the course is burn hard with the sun –and believe it. The only game this climate suits is water sports, not like some climates we know at home. Saturday, was so hot that the only time I left my room was for meals. All the while, I was in the room I only had a pair of pajamas on; so you will not bake. Sunday, we rested in the hotel for the game tonight, in which we were beaten 2-1 –all against the run of the play, and the referee didn't help us any! Jack Cock scored the first goal of the match. There would be about 20,000 spectators, and they were delighted with the display of first class football, which out boys served up. Every one on our side played well. We had three changes in the team from last week. D. Reid, Cock, and McDonald, playing vice Troup, Williams, and myself respectively. They have some funny ideals refereeing here. The inside right of Barcelona was getting the “bird” from the crowd for some thing that he did. He put his fingers to his nose at them and the referee sent him off the field! That happened just on half-time, and after the interval three fresh men came on to fill up the team as other two had been injured or were tired. You will understand from this what the boys had to face. It is hard enough to stand up to the heat and the bare stes like ground, but to crown it all the ball would go any where but into the net. This is the first time Everton have been beaten on the continent. Their record is is to be proud of. Newcastle arrive here on Tuesday, and we play them on Wednesday. Will write you again. Many thanks for the “Echo” sent us every day. The boys look forward to them daily, and there is keen competition among us to get the first read of then. It is just like being at home to get one, as there are all foreign papers here.

May 23 1924 Liverpool Echo
John Page, the ex-Rochdale and Everton player, has been signed by Gainsborough Trinity. He is a sturdy player and should suit Gainsbrough well for a number of years.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 24 May 1924
Following an operation, Ernest Robson, formerly of Derby, a well-known figure in Somerset cricket, died on Friday the Royal Infirmary, Bristol. He only gave up the game at the end of last summer, and had been appointed first-class umpire. Born in Yorkshire 53 year* ago, Robson, on qualifying for Somerset, became one of the most useful players the county had had. A medium-paced bowler, his best performance with the ball was in 1896. when took 6 Australian wickets at Taunton fcr 22 runs. On four occasions he played fary figure innings, the last being in 1921 against Worcestershire. He was to have had a benefit this summer. Ernest Robson, although is said to have been born at Chapel Allerton, in Yorkshire (in May, 1871), learnt his cricket at Derby. He came here when a little boy, and went to King-street Wesleyan School. He was well known in local cricket circles for his exceptional ability both with bat and ball, and when quite youth obtained a professional engagement with Stockport. He played for heshire and when that county dropped out he qualified for Somerset. It has never been explained why he did not play for Derbyshire, where his family interests were.

Hull Daily Mail - Saturday 24 May 1924
Ernest Robson, the well-known Somersetshire cricketer, died at the Bristol Royal Infirmary on Friday, following operation. Born on May lst, 1871, Chapel Allerton, Leeds, he appeared with success tor Derby Colts, and for two season with Cheshire before joining Somerset, for whom he nrst played against Oxford and Cambridge Universities in 1895. His most dramatic innings was Westonsuper-Mare in 1922, against Middlesex, when Somerset won in the last over of the day, Robson making the winning hit—a six oil Hearne. As a souvenir, enthusiastic, supporter of Somerset gave Robson a cheque -or £60. _ His best performance with the ball was six Australian wickets for runs at Taunton, in 1896, his victims being Geo Griffin, S. E. Gregory, C. Hill, J. J. Kelly, U- Trumhle, and E. Jones. Last season was his last a player, and ne was appointed umpire during the winter. was a fine all-round plavor. He played against Yorkshire on Anlaby-road last July.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Wednesday 28 May 1924
The Rev, F, K. Sourway. the Somereot cirkcter, conducted the funeral service yesterdav of Ernest Robson, who died at the Bristol Royal infirmary last week. There were many manifestations of the respect and esteem in which the Somerset cricket professional hold, the floral tokens being numerous and beautiful. The Somerset County Club wreath bore the county colours, and one from the Somerset amateurs inscribed, memory dear old Robbie.”

Dundee Evening Telegraph -Thursday 29 May 1924
John Macconachie, ex-Everton and Scottish International, was sent to gaol for a month in the second division Liverpool to-day for deserting his wife. He had been coaching in Stockholm, he said, and ho did not wish to shirk his responsibilities. A Union officer said that Macconnachie was one of the greatest footballers who ever crossed the Border.

The Era - Wednesday 04 June 1924
"Here He Is Again"  and He Played the wedding March" at the Pavillion, Gorleston.  Jack Cock, the Everton Club's famous footballer, is doing wonderfully well with "Plain Jane of the Family," in the muscial show.  "Unemployed."  This great number is also a big success with "Glamour" company as sung by Miss Arnett.  These great numbers bid fair to be at their Zeith in a few short weeks. 

June 6, 1924. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
A record profit of £6,518 is announced in the annual report of the Everton football club, to be submitted at the annual meeting on the 13 TH , when a dividend of 5 per cent free of income tax will be recommenced. The gate receipts mounted to £41,724, while away matches yielded $4,120, wages and transfer fees accounted for £11,603 and £6,042 went from the gate receipts to the visiting teams. Entertainment tax amounted to £8,961.

Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 13 June 1924
North End have signed Harry J. Miller, a young inside forward, who has spent two seasons in Everton’s service. Miller, who is a Prestonian was secured by the Goodison Park Club from Leyland, but was unable to get a regular place in their first team owing to the brilliance Chadwick, who last season was the leading marksman in the First Division. Miller, who can fill either the inside left inside right positions, stands 5ft. 8ins. and weighs 11st.  He had a free transfer from Everton.

June 14, 1924. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The annual meeting of the Everton football club was held in the Law Association rooms, Cook-street last night, Mr. W.C.Cuff the chairman in moving the adoption of the accounts. Which have appeared in the ‘'Daily Post'' pointed out that, with one exception the accounts on the expenditure side were blow those of the corresponding period last year. The item referred to was under the heading''players wages, transfer fees etc, that item comprised not only transfer fees and players wages, but also benefits to players, during the past season they had expended £2,100 on benefits. The reduced the amount in question to £9,900. Which was £1,100 below the amount expended last year. He thought the shareholders were to be congratulated on the club having gone through another very successful season. They have wound up with a balance something over £6,500. They had the honour throughout the entire season, of giving the finest exposition of the game of football (hear hear). He hoped that credit would attach to them for many seasons. They hoped to maintain that hugh standed of play throughout the coming season, and also to attach themselves to one or other of the trophies by that standard of play, they had been exceedingly well served by their players, who had given an exposition of football for which they had received praise from all over the country.

With regard to the incoming season, they have made such a selection from the old staff of players as they hoped would carry than through to victory, and they had made one or two additions, while they were still on the look-out for players who would strenghem the teams. Gate receipts were down as compared that to the fact that they were dismissed at a somewhat early stage from the cup-ties and that trade in Liverpool has not been so good as to previous years. They were also down, but not withstanding the diminution of income they had turned a loss in 1923 of £730 into profit of £6,518 (applause). The chairman referred to the absence from the meeting of Mr. Jack Sharp one of their directors, who was engaged at Manchester in county cricket, and he extended to him the congratulations of the Everton football club on the achievement of such a fine victory against Yorkshire (applause) At the last annual meeting of the shareholders had given their approval to a project, which the board had in view of demolishing the shareholders stand on Bullen-road and putting up a more ornate and substantial one. The directors had given the matter serious consideration and had decided that owing to the price of materials etc, they would postpone the erection of the new stand, they then had a credit balance of £6,518 and he would take it, that in passing the accounts the directors still had their approval of the project should they see fit to go on what after the coming season, the report and accounts were adopted and a dividend of 5 per cent, was declared on the motion of Mr. W.J. Sawyer. The retiring directors, messes a Coffey, W.C Cuff, and j. sharp were unanimously re-elected.

The players signed on for the coming season are: -

Goalkeepers, Harland, Kendall, backs, Raitt, Livingstone, McDonald, Kerr, Glover (New Brighton), Caddick, half-backs, Brown, McBain, Hart, Peacock, Reid, Virr, McGrea, Rooney, forwards, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, Troup, Parry, Wall, Williams, Forbes, Hargreaves (Oldham Athletic), Houghton (S), Barton, terms had been offered to Grenyer, who had not yet re-signed.

June 26, 1924. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Fern the Everton goalkeeper yesterday signed for Port Vale, he had many tempting offers, but did not wish to leave his Liverpool residence, and port vale have recommoduced him in this respect. Fern came to Everton from Lincoln City in 1913, and played regularly for the blues up to New Year day. This year he gain a league in 1914-15 and in the same year, when Everton reached the semi-final of the football association cup-had the misfortune to break his finger in a league match just prior to the cup-tie in which he couldn't play. Fern is a secretary of the Fazackerley cricket club, and wishes to inform other clubs secretary that his new address is Aintree house Aintree village, Liverpool.




May 1924