Everton Independent Research Data


May 2 nd 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Though Everton were able to enter into their contest with Cardiff City free from worry they had to bow the knee to the cup winners by a solitary goal scored at the seventh minute by Keenor, who was playing in an unusual role, at centre forward. The City had a hard week of football, but their form did not suggest that they had participated in four matches in four days, for they played with a vim which, if not so spectator or scientific as that displayed by Everton earned them the points. Everton's great failing was their inability to clinch their midfield play with a deciding shot. They worked the ball well, and on several occasions got the better of so good a defensive trio as Nelson, Watson, and Farquharson, but when it came to placing the ball in the net they were unable to do so.

Hull Daily Mail - Monday 02 May 1927
As announced in the Sports Mail Saturday, the match between Sheffield United and Bury, at Bramall-lane, "Sheffield, was abandoned owing to the sudden death of one of the visiting players. The unfortunate player was Samuel Wynne, the Bury right full back, who practically dropped dead while in the act of taking free 'kick.  The incident happened five minutes from the interval. Bury had been awarded free kick a little distance outside the penalty for an off-side infringement on Johnson, the Sheffield United centre forward. This Wynne went to take, and as he did so, with no one near him, he staggered, fell to the ground, rolled over and then lay prostrate. The players and officials rushed to his assistance, but it was soon seen that something serious had happened, and two doctors were called from the grandstand. The unfortunate player was removed to the dressing room, but he was beyond human aid. The play had been resumed, and was continued up to the interval, but then tbe tragic announcement was made to crowd the game was abandoned. The body was conveyed to the public mortuary to await the inquest, which will probably held to-day.
The sad event cast gloom over everyone present (says the Sporting Chronicle "), and general sympathy will felt with the widow and family of the player, who only joined the Bury club in December last from Oldham Athletic. . A fine, upstanding player of of 5ft 5ins, . and 13st., aged 27 years, Wynne was a model of athletic manhood, and always appeared to revel in his football.  He was native of Neston, on the Wirral peninsula, and after playing as a junior for Neston Comrades joined Connah's Quay.  He had trial with Everton, and, joined Oldham Athletic September, 1921, and with Gray, now with Manchester City, and Grundy, established a very strong defensive division. Since joining Bury he had continued to oo splendid work, and will big loss to the club. It has been arranged to replay the match at Bramall-lane on Thursday evening, and. with the approval the Bury club and subject to the consent of the League. Sheffield United have decided to hand over the whole of the receipts to Wynne s widow and family.

By comparison the Cardiff forwards were usually on the mark when they got an opportunity, and if Keenor was not an ideal centre-forward, he was always willing to have a tilt at Taylor's charge and many of his efforts were praiseworthy. His goal was a peculiar one, when he took the ball from his left wing he did not seem in any great hurry, and the possibility of a goal was made extremely small by his slow movements. It appeared to be an age before he got the ball to toe and elected to shoot, and even when he shot, his left-footed drive carried very little power, but it was sufficient to defeat Taylor, who made his dash across his goal mouth a fraction too late, the ball striking the inside of the post before entering the net. It was more like a slow-motion picture goal than one scored in an actual match. There the score ended, but it should not have been so for Everton had many chances, but such was the meagerness of their shooting that Farquharson had an easy time if the last times minutes is overlooked. During this period he somewhat lucky in not being beaten, especially when Kelly drove a ball through a bunch of players, only to find that the goalkeeper had, whether through design or good fortune, taken up a good position.

But it was really the work of Nelson, Watson Hardy, and Sloan, which was responsible for the poor showing of Everton's inside forwards. Weldon was always willing to draw a bow at venture, but he was rarely on the mark, while Dean had a poor afternoon, and it is doubtful if Farquharson had to make one solitary save from the international centre forward, who was not the live wire we know he can be Forshaw apart from one good shot in the early minutes and a few good passes, did not impress, and the best of the line were Irvine and Troup. Irvine had in Hardy a grim opponent to oppose him but he did extremely well and with a little more luck might have scored. Troup tried to open a way for Weldon, and for a time the pair enjoyed a period of success, but there was that lack of finish which negatived all the good football that had gone before. Kelly and Hart were good half-backs, and if O'Donnell was not quite his old self it must not be overlooked that he received an injury early on. Cresswell had a worrying time against Mclachlan in the second half. He did many clever things but his unorthodox methods often nonplussed his own comrades. Taylor made some capital saves one from Maston and another from Curtis being high class. Maston, by the way, is an eighteen-year old boy who showed distinct promise, and with more experience should pay Cardiff well for the foresight.

A rather unusual incident took place during the game. Troup was running down his wing in hot pursuit of the ball, when a boy, not more than six or seven years old, ran on the field and kicked the ball almost off Troup's toe. The ball most likely would have gone into touch and the incident created a puzzle and it was some minutes ere it was decided that the referee should “throw the ball down.”

Teams: - Cardiff City: - Farquharson, goal, Nelson, and Watson backs, Sloan, Thirlway, and Hardy, half-backs Curtis, Blackburn, Mason, Kennor, and McLachlan, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Cresswell, and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart (captain) and Virr backs, Irvine, Forshaw, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Referee E. Pinchston.

May 2 nd 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Sheffield United were unfortunate in having to oppose Everton for their last fixture for they found the local side in a most determined mood, and playing football that easily surpassed for brilliancy any previous game at Goodison this season. The defeat may possibly lose the Sheffielders the championship, for West Bromwich, the runners up, have but to win their remaining game to displace them. It was a great fight, with Everton fully deserving the victory. The United's fast moving progressive ideals were early upset by Everton's resolute middle line, in which Griffiths was outstanding, while the rear defence never fastened. Millington was prominent in the forward line but the whole side deserved compliments on a fine display. The scorers were White and Wilkinson in the first half, and the latter and Dickie in the second. Dickie played a great game, and his first Everton goal was the result of a first time drive.

May 3 rd 1927. The Daily Courier.
Everton fielded a mixed side, but play was disappointing chiefly because the Blues played in leisurely fashion all though, and at no time did they display anything approaching first class football. The crowd got tried of Everton's play, and there was frequent cried of “Make them play, Tranmere” and “Rub it in.” Tranmere played keenly enough and enjoyed the bulk of the attack, Taylor being given plenty to do. He was at fault with the first goal, allowing a simple shot from Urmson to slip through his hands into the net after five minutes. The second point was scored by Flanagan after 33 minutes, and seven minutes after the resumption Flanagan ran through to put on a good third goal. Irvine reduced the arrears with a lob cross shot, which Burrows failed to catch, but before the close Urmson put Tranmere further ahead. Jones and Urmson, on the home left, were the outstanding wing on the field. Midway through the second half Brown went lame and took up the outside right position. Dominy dropping back in the middle line. The teams were: - Tranmere Rovers: - Burrows, goal, Yates, and Thirkell, backs, Evans, Matthews, and Lewis, half-backs, Charlton, Marquis, Flanagan, Jones and Urmson, forwards. Everton: - Taylor, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs Brown, Hart (captain), and Virr, half-backs, Irvine, Dominy, Wilkinson, Weldon, and Troup, forwards .

May 3 rd 1927. The Daily Courier.
This game at Blackburn last night was set apart to augment the memorial fund by which it is hoped to perpetuate the 50 years' football service of the late Mr. John Lewis, the founder of the Rovers football referee and legislator by endowing a bed at the Blackburn Royal Infirmary.

May 5 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton have transferred H. Moffatt, the outside right to Oldham Athletic, Moffatt had one season at Goodison Park after being secured from Luton Town. The stands 5 feet 5 inches and weights 10 stone 4lbs. Contrary to reports published during the weekend. Everton have again signed on Raitt the right back and I am sure the news will give pleasure to the followers of the club…Meanwhile, Everton have signed on as a professional T Lewis a young winger from Ellesmere Port.

May 4 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Everton, who play a benefit match at Linfield to-day, left for Belfast on Monday night, following their game with Tranmere Rovers, Dean returned from Blackburn in tome to go on the party and the team will be: - Taylor Raitt, O'Donnell, Kelly Hart, Virr, Irvine, Dominy, Dean, Weldon, Troup

May 5 th 1927. The Daily Courier.
The Blues were well beaten in a friendly at Belfast on behalf of Frame, the Linfield back. The Irish team won by four clear goals.

May 6, 1927. The Arbroath Herald
As briefly stated in last Friday's “Latest Sport” column, an unfortunate accident has fallen a noted old Arbroath footballer, “Billy” Stewart, while engaged at Liverpool in the shipbuilding yard. The “Lancashire Daily Post” says; -The news of the sad accident to “Billy” Stewart at Liverpool the other day would be read with regret –if with the interest the discovery that he was yet near at hand, would arouse –by many of the old school of footballers in and around Preston. This dour Scot was not long with North End, for coming on the heels of those who made up the great team, round about the time when Bob Stormant and Bob Kelso, who made the same move, were in the side, he was transferred to Everton, there to complete the finest half-back line that the Goodison Park club ever had –Boyle, Holt, and Stewart. He was brought out of the Black Watch by North End, and events justified the judgment of those who found him, for while he lasted he was as strong, cunning, and efficient a half-back as the game has known, for he had the build as well as clever feet. Under the old throw-in rule he became one of the historic examples of the value that the fling from touch could assume, being challenged only by Hugh Wilson, of Sunderland, perhaps; but he brought the same ripe skill to everything he did, and both in Preston and Liverpool his football will be recalled with a great deal of pleasure, after dropping out of the game one lost sight of him, but, like so many of his time, when he finished active football he had to return to some branch of labour. He went to work on the docks at Liverpool, and it was while he was engaged on unloading a vessel last week that he fell down the hold, a considerable distance, and got smashed up. That he will have a good recovery everybody who remembers him will hope, for we like to have the old stalwarts with us as long as possible.

Old Damley Park Days Recalled
Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs - Friday 06 May 1927
As briefly stated last Friday Latest Sport column, unfortunate accident has befallen noted old Arbroath footballer, “Billy Stewart, while engaged at Liverpool the shipbuilding yard. The “ Lancashire Daily Post says: —The news of the sad accident to Billy’’ Stewart at Liverpool the other day would read with regret—if with the interest the discovery that he was yet near at hand would arouse—by many of the old school of footballers in and around Preston. This dour Scot was not long with North End, for, coming on the heels of those who made up the great team, round about the time when Bob Stormant and Bob Kelso, who made the same move, were in the side, he was transferred to Everton, there to complete the finest  half‘ back line that the Goodison Park club ever had—Boyle,. Holt, and  Stewart. He was bought out of the Black Watch by North End, and events justified the judgment of those who found him, for while he lasted he was strong, cunning, and efficient a half-back the game has known, for he had the build as well as clever feet. Under th e old throw-in rule he became one of the historic examples of the value that the fling from touch could assume, being challenged only by Hugh Wilson, of Sunderland, perhaps; but he brought the same ripe skill to everything he did. and both in Preston and Liverpool his football will be recalled with a great deal of pleasure, after dropping out of the game one lost sight of him, but, like so many of his time, when he finished active football he had to return to some branch of labour, he went to work on the docks at Liverpool, and was while he was engaged on unloading a vessel last week that he fell down th e hold, considerable distance, and got smashed up. That he will have a good recovery everybody who remembers him will hope, for we like to have the old stalwarts with as long as possible. The older followers of football Arbroath will remember Stormant former left half of the Strathmore, playing at Park, Montrose Road.  After leaving Preston North End, Stormant joined the late Dave Storrier at Everton and it is singular that in his next club, Southampton, he played alongside of another ex-maroon in Sam Meston. It was Mr John Duffus, member of the popular and famous Arbroath pedestrian family, who sent me the news about Billy Stewart’s accident. Jack” is now resident in Barrow-in-Furness. and bis many friends in his native town will pleased to learn that this old sporting enthusiast doing well. always pleasing to hear from Red Iichtics” other parts of the world. 

May 7 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
A meeting of the Everton shareholders to further the candidature of Messrs. Clayton, Alexander, and James Wilson was held last night in the Castle restaurant. Mr. Charles Wright was in the chair, and complained of the tactics of the directors regarding the distribution of handbills on the young. The board had boasted that they could beat them, and, to a certain extent he believed they could but he thought the football association should bring in legislation that would prevent a club being controlled by a few men. The directors apparently could re-elect them selves for all time. He thought that was not right. Mr. James Wilson mentioned that £320 had been paid for £60 worth of stock Mr. WR Clayton an ex-chairman of Everton, declared that, he regretted the work he had done in the past, when he considered their present position. He himself had seen one transfer of the share at £4 there was no season ticket attaching to this share, and he wondered whether there was not something behind all these purchases. A shareholders, Mr. petty, said he would use his influence to introduce new blood on the board. The chairman asked when was this league rot going to stop. They had six years of it.

Mr Hindle, of Southport, a shareholder complained of the laxity of the management, he had been offered, he said £5 for one of his shares, Mr. Alexander a prospective candidate said he did not want to be taken too literally when he said at the previous meeting that he could pick an amateur side in Liverpool to beat the Everton team of today. He meant the Everton team at the beginning of the season. If he were elected to the board he would encourage local talent. He complained that there were times when ‘'A'' team went away to a match without anyone in charge. Everton tried experiments in team positions that were not justifiable. After further discussion the meeting, which attached twenty shareholders, closed.

May 9 th 1927. The Daily Courier.
Everton had forwards who not only showed crafty methods but made direct for goal and lost no time in aiming at their objective. With a shade of luck Everton would have won handsomely. Griffiths was a remarkably good pivot, for apart from the service he rendered his forwards his aid to the defence in times of stress was admirable. Dickie stood out most prominently as an attacking power and his efforts in the shooting line were quite commendable. Millington, Easton, White and Wilkinson were excellent. Their control of the lively ball and their quick and thoughtful moves were much appreciated. For a youngster Lewis showed promise.

May 12 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Kendall, who has been with Everton for three years has been transferred to Preston North End. At his best Kendall is a good goalkeeper, but he sustained an injury which kept him out of the Everton team for a long time. He joined the Goodison club from Lincoln City in April 1924 and is a native of Broughton; Lincolnshire standing 6ft he weights more than 12 stone. Kendall is the seventeenth player Preston signed for next season, and is to understudy Carr.

May 14 th 1927. The Liverpool Echo
Tommy Lewis the Shell Max (Ellemere Port) outside left as we forecasted two seasons ago, has signed as a professional for Everton. He played through the Easter matches with Everton Reserves, and assisted the Goodison team that played for Regan's benefit at Wrexham. Seventeen years of age, he is a sturdy lad with a powerful kick, an accurate centre, and a right foot that puts in glorious corners from the left wing. He was discovered all the tricks that beat backs, and does credit to his father, who was once the best centre-halve who ever booted a ball. May he do as good service as Sammy Chedgzoy did.

May 17 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
J. Peacock the Everton half-back, has been transferred to Middlesbrough, so that he will still have opportunity of participating in the first division league football. A most versatile exponent. Peacock has done good work at Goodison Park, both in the middle line and in the forward ranks. He has played centre forward, and once scored three goals against Derby County, while he also assisted his old club at inside and outside right.but right half-back was his best position. He has had eight uear's services with Everton. He formerly assisted Wigan borough, and quickly developed in senior football, but he sustained a broken leg in an FA cup-tie at Goodison Park two season ago, and this restated his progess. He is now quite fit again and he should prove of great worth to the newly promoted club.

Falkirk Herald - Wednesday 18 May 1927
James Patterson, who left Camelon Juniors for Everton is home in Stirling again.  He has a free transfer.  Lack of inches we are officially informed, has been the reason of his non-success.  Quite a number of clubs are anxious for his services.  Farhill is likely to be destination. 

May 20 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury
Following the departure of peacock to Middlesbrough, Kennedy the Everton forward was yesterday also transferred to Ayrsome Park club. Kennedy is a skilful inside left, possessing a powerful shot but he is handicapped by lack of stature. Still he may be useful in a fast line like that of Middlesbrough. He joined Everton in 1925 from Manchester United, and had previous service with Rossendale.

May 24 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
Woodhouse, who was secured from Preston North End, has after a season with Everton joined Wrexham. An experienced inside forward, Woodhouse should prove useful to the welsh club. He appeared in the Everton first team on occasion last season, but in the main was association with the centre league team.

May 26 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
The statement of accounts issued by Everton, yesterday show that for the year ending may 7 TH there was a loss of £3,122 19s 11d. The previous year the club made a profit of more than £9,000. In view of the trouble some time the club passed through last season the loss indicated will not create surprise. For I note that players wages and transfer fees amounted to £27,690, compared with less than £10,000 the previous year. The income amounted to £8,547, gate receipts totaling £54,654 4s 0d, while the total expenditure reached £48,547 10s 11d. A dividend of 7 half per cent is recommended and the annual meeting will be held at the law association rooms, cook-street, on June 3 RD . The retiring directors are messes WC. Cuff, A. Coffey, and J. Sharp, who often themselves for re-election while messier RJ Alexander, 125 Lisbon lane, Liverpool, W.R. Clayton avalon formally JP Wilson 37 Spellow lane Liverpool are also candidates for the election to the board.

Yorkshire Evening Post - Thursday 02 June 1927
In the King's Bench Division. To-day, Mr. Justice Rowlatt held that payment made by the Everton Football Club, to George Harrison, a professional, in lieu of benefit on his transfer to Preston North End club, was assessable for income-tax purposes, thus reversing a finding of the general commissioners. Harrison was entitled a sum not exceeding £650 as benefit for every five years' service. He received one sum of £5OO, but the year before the expiration of his second five years, he was transferred to Preston North End, and the Everton club made him a payment of £650. His Lordship said that although this was called a benefit, it was not the result any public subscription, or indirect support by the public attending any match. That distinguished the case from that of James Seymour, the Kent County cricketer. In Harrison's case the benefit ôsimply represented an extra sum given by the employing club.

June 4 th 1927. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
At the Everton club's annual meeting, last night Mr. WC. Cuff, the chairman, submitted the annual report, and moved the adoption of the accounts. He reviewed in detail the season, and described it as the most strenuous and nerve-wracking in the history of the club. Their income was £9,000 in excess of the previous year. He thought that was due to the fact of increased accommodation. The sustained interest to avoid relegation and the interest of the supporters in the new players signed the last five months of the season. The increase in wages and transfers fee was the natural sequel to the number of injuries, a number unparalleled in the history of the club.they believed they were adequately staffed last may for the season and they could not foresee disasters to dean and others which came upon them at the beginning of the season. Dean he was happy to say, he made a miraculous recovery, Kendall, their goalkeeper was down in august and hardy was injured in the first practice match. They had no reason to believe that Chedgzoy would not be with them, but he did not appear. At Christmas the injuries continued and hardy was knocked out at Leicester and Davies was injured in the cup-tie. To the players credit although they lost confidence at times, they strove against fate. The club had been in negotiations for new players for five months, not five minutes as had been suggested, but, said Mr. Cuff, today the good ship Everton, battered and sore, was still seaworthy and ready to battle with the storms of next season. He looked with confidence to the future. Welcomed constructive criticism but he said, they would not tolerate vulgar abuse.

Mr. W.J. Sawyer scored the motion, and question time being announced Mr. Charles Wright asked were the shareholders satisfied with the directors stewardship, there had been preferential treatment in regard to meeting places. Mr. petty, another shareholder, said there had been for too many changes in the team, and there was need for a charge in the board. Mr. W.R. Clayton a former Everton chairman said the cup-tie records of Everton in the last five years were a disgrace. He referred to the season's failure and escape, and lad particular stress in the question of shareholders pay £4 in share for something that carried no special privileges.

The number of shareholders had considerably increased to the process of farming single shares. What was behind it all. Mr. Cuff replying to questions said that the price of £4 named by Mr. Clayton was a fictitious price and he would not be a party to paying such a figure. The report and balance sheets were carried. Mr. e green proposed, and Mr. Wade seconded, that the dividend of 7 and a half per cent, should be paid, and when elections-time arrived, and scrutinizers were nominated, Mr. Cuff announced that he had 391 proxies in his hands in favour of the retiring directors (a voice''shame''). The chairman-there is no shame about it.

Mr. Clayton said that in the special circumstances it was ridiculous to go to the vote, especially at the proxies of the three gentlemen patting up for office had been delivered, to the office too late according to the laws of the company.

Mr. Cuff; - then it is plain that the three names are withdrawn from the election. This was agreed upon, and it was suggested that a notice should be put on the balance sheets informing shareholders that proxies to be valid have to be in the club's office seventy-two hours before the annual meeting. Messrs. Cuff, Coffey, and Sharp were re-elected.

Mr. Denaro pointed to the difficulties of the football directorship, and said he felt the board deserved sympathy. He moved a vote of thanks, which Mr. Clayton seconded saying ‘'I know what it is to be a director.''

Mr. tom Macintosh gave the list of players engaged as follows: - goalkeepers, Taylor, Hardy Davies, backs Cresswell, O'Donnell, Raitt, R. Curr half backs Kelly Hart, Virr, Brown, Bain, Griffiths, Rooney, Dickie, E. Curr, forwards Critchley, Irvine, Dean, Weldon, Troup, Millington, Forshaw, White, Easton, Wilkinson, Dominy, Kendrick Houghton and Lewis.

The directors present at the meeting were Messrs., WC Cuff, E. Green, J Sharp, AR Wade, A Coffey, WJ Sawyer, H. Banks, and W. Gibbins.


May 1927