Everton Independent Research Data



May 1 st 1929. The Daily Courier.


Everton made several changes for the match at Newcastle on Saturday, Hart moves to the centre-half position in place of Forshaw and Lewis in at left half. White crosses from inside right to inside left. Easton being dropped, which Dunn returns at inside right. Teams; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Lewis; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, White, Troup. The Everton team to meet Liverpool combination selected X1 at Goodison Park today (Kick-off 5'30) will be Sager; Kennedy, Lewis; Bryan, Dixon, Hills; Meston, CR Webster, Attwood, Jones, Stein.



May 2 nd 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

At Goodison Park. The football, particularly in the first half, was exceptionally tame, lacking earnestness and constructive ideas, while the second half was not quite as poor, for the Combination team showed more thrust forward, but failed completely in front of goal. Everton were disjointed in attack, Jones, however, took one of many opportunities, and scored in the first half. Tole missed a couple of chances, but the visitors generally found the defensive abilities of Kennedy, Dixon and Lewis too much for them. Attwood, Webster, and Stein tried hard enough to score, but without success. In the closing minutes Tole equalised . Everton: - Sager, goal, Kennedy and Lewis, backs, Brynan, Dixon, Hills, half-backs, Meston, Webster, Attwood, Jones and Stein, forwards.



May 6 th 1929. The Daily Courier.




Followers of the Everton club will no doubt be disappointed at the poor ending to the season, but at Newcastle the men went out with their colours flying, having given one of the best exhibition for many weeks. In the opening half they were infinitely better than the United when the football all round was of a high-class order and constructive in character. Many times the United defenders were running hither and thither, yet rarely reaching the ball, and had not Burns the home goalkeeper, been on the very top of his form, the Blues would have been in the lead at that point. The situation was hardly the sane later on, for encouraged by their equality, the United began to worry around to good purpose. Still, there was little in it until just over the hour, when the first misfortune befell the Blues.


Urwin was stepping particularly lively out on the home right, but Lewis, the Everton debutante, managed to race over and gain possession. He was about to make good his clearance when O'Donnell followed him up, and, apparently, shouted, “Right.” Lewis, consequently stood aside for O'Donnell, but before the back could clear Urwin took advantage of the mix-up and literally sailed in. His centre was met by McDonald who crashed a beauty against the upright. Instead of going behind the ball rebounded straight across the goal and a quick-remarkably quick –nod of the forehead by Gallacher did the trick. It was Newcastle's game from that point, but they should never have been allowed to obtain that second goal half a minute from time when Gallacher again did the necessary. Hill wiggled with the ball in midfield, by held the ball too long in the ordinary course of events. At any rate, he lobbed it up the middle, Gallacher lacher and Chalmers had been put in glaringly off-side position. Everyone, stopped playing, expecting the whistle to go, but Mr. Harper did not “toot.” The ball bounded high into the air, but Davies, instead of stretching out a hand and hitting it away, allowed Gallacher to nod it down to his feet and then placed it into the roof of the net. Gallacher snapped up his chance splendidly, and had Dean done the same in the second half a much different tale would have been told. Once Dean missed a chance of being too slow. Dean had another chance just after though not by any means such as easy one, but this time his body seemed to turn and he fell as he half-kicked the ball. An early handicap was imposed on Everton in that Griffiths received a kick on his recently injured leg, and was limping throughout the game. The backs and half-backs did well. In attack Dunn, as the arch-schemer, carried off the laurels, Troup and White also did well. Davies effected many good saves, but was not always clean in disposing of the ball. Lewis the Ellesmere Port lad, did exceptionally well on his initial appearance. He buckled to with rare zest and distinguished himself with a lot of unceremonious tackling and intervention. Teams; Newcastle United: - Burns, goal; Maitland and Thomson, backs; Harris, Hill, and McCurley, half-backs; Urwin, Chalmers, Gallacher, McDonald, and Lang, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal; Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs; Griffiths, Hart, and Lewis, half-backs; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, White, and Troup. Forwards.



May 5 th 1929. The Daily Courier.


A poor first half went in favour of Everton, who led at the interval through goals by Meston, and Jones, Fitton scoring for Burnley. In the second half Burnley exhibited great improvement. Stein increased Everton's lead, and then Pemberton obtained two fine goals, which levelled matters. Easton again placed Everton ahead, but Brown, near the end, scored a fourth for Burnley. Although it was a high scoring game no blame could be attached to Sager, and Sommerville, as both goalkeepers made some brilliant clearances.

Welsh Soccer Canada.

Dundee Evening Telegraph -Tuesday 7 May 1929

The Chief Constable of Glamorgan has given permission for Len Evans, the Welsh amateur international goalkeeper, to accompany the Welsh F.A. team on their tour to Canada. Albert Lumberg, Wrexham s international back, is also making the trip. Griffiths, of Everton, and John, of Arsenal, have been invited to join the party.



Hartlepool Mail-Wednesday 8 May 1929

Another O'Donnell for Everton

Years ago the Everton F.C had the brotbers Bert and Jack Sharp, and the brothers Robert and' William Balmer on their list. Now they have signed O'Donnell from Connah's Quay, late of Darlington, who may easily pair with his brother. .Jack, right full back. He is well-built two-footed player. 19 years of age, 5ft. 8in. tall, and weighing 11st.


May 8 th 1929. The Daily Courier.

William O'Donnell, a right half-back, who played a prominent part in the victory of Connah's Quay over Cardiff City in the Welsh Senior Cup Final, has joined his famous brother Jack at Goodison park, having signed for Everton. William is 18 and strong built.


Dundee Evening Telegraph –Thursday 16 May 1929

Henry Ritchie has re-signed for Everton, but Dunn, who is holidaying Glasgow, has got no futher in his negotiations.

Fred Kennedy

Derby Daily Telegraph -Saturday 18 May 1929

Considerably. Reading have allowed Tom Meads go to the Spurs they have certainly given their supporters a nice consolation in the shape of the signing of Fred Kennedy, the clever Middlesbrough inside left. Kennedy, who is product of the Rossendale United club, was brought out by Manchester United in June, 1923, and within a couple of years Everton had paid £2,000 to gain bis services. From that point he has never been quite the same stylish and effective player. His latest change may cause him to settle down.


June 1929





Followers of local cricket and of the Plymouth club in particular will learn with keen disappointment of the impending departure Meunier, professional to the Plymouth club. During his brief stay Plymouth Meunier has made himself extremely popular, and his services to the city club in every direction have been invaluable. His departure well be particularly regretted by several of the younger schcol, who have made rapid strides under his efficient coaching. From playing standpoint, too, the Plymouth club will be distinctly the poorer, for Meunier has put number of brilliant performances with bat and ball. As recently as Saturday last he captured ten wickets against the" Royal Navy—all clean bowled— and contributed not out with the bat. An all-round athlete, Meunier was at one time a professional footballer with Manchester City and Everton, and in the course of his cricket career has played for Warwickshire in first-class county cricket and Lincolnshire in the Minor Counties Competition. Unless the Plymouth club alter its recent derision. Meunier's engagement as professional will terminate at the end of the present month.



June 8, 1929. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

The Everton officials yesterday secured the transfer of a player whose appearance in the Goodison club team is likely to crease a good deal of interest. He is J Wilkinson of Newcastle United, who can play at centre-forward, inside right or outside right. During the past two season's he figured in thirty first team matches for the St James's Park club, and he will be remembered as leading the attack on several occasions in place of Gallacher. The Scottish international centre-forward who was moved to inside-right. Wilkinson has also played at inside right alongside Gallacher, and has appeared with success on the extreme right. He has scored quite a number of goals for the united. Twenty years of age he stands 5ft 7 and half inches and weights 11 stone. He was formerly with Crooke Town, for whom he scored 43 goals in the 1926-27 season, and the previous season he was credit with having scored 98 goals in junior football. He had accomplished the ‘'hat-trick'' on eight occasions, and while with esh winning juniors he scored 10 goals in a match.


Hartlepool Mail-Saturday 8 June 1929

J. (" Monty") Wilkinson, the reserve centre forward of Newcastle United, who was one of the many players placed on the open-to-transfer list towards the end of the past season, was signed yesterday by the Everton Football Club. Wilkinson, who a native of Esh Winning, was secured Newcastle from Crook Town in 1927.



Hartlepool Mail- Tuesday 11 June 1929

Sunderland Part With Frank Cresswell

The Sunderland Football Club have transferred Frank Cresswell, inside left, to West Bromwich Albion. A native of South Shields, he is a brother of "Warney" Cresswell. the former Sunderland player, and Everton's international full back. He made one appearance with the Sunderland first team last season, and seven during the previous term. he is only 20 years of age, stands 5ft 8ins and weighs 10 ½ st.



Hull Daily Mail-Thursday 27 June 1929


Mr Bertram Smith, of Liverpool, assistant trainer to the Everton Football Club, was found dead at Gronat, near Prestatyn, this morning. When motor cycling back to Liverpool his back tyre came off, and he apparently crashed into a telegraph pole.



Burnley Express-Saturday 29 June 1929

There will be much regret at the news of the tragic death of Mr. Bert Smith, the former trainer to the Nelson Football Club who was killed in a motor smash last Wednesday night. Mr. Smith was found dead a Grouant, near Prestatyn. He was motot cycling back to Liverpool. His back tyre had come off, and he had apparently crashed into a telegraph pole. He sustained a broken arm, leg, and fractured ribs, and was dead when picked up. Mr. Smith was one of the trainers to the Everton Football Club, and had occupied that position since leaving Nelson three years ago. Just after the war he became assistant trainer to the Nelson club, and later took the cheif position, holding it at te time Nelson won the championship of the Third Division, in 1922-23. He was a very popular official, and was always found capable of keeping the staff under him in first class condition. An excellent masseur, his services were sought after by people outside the sphere of the football club. Mr. Smith, who was 41 years of age, was a Nelson young man, being a son of the late Mr. George Smith and Mrs Smith, now of 48, Beddington-street. He joined the army at the early stage of the war, and quickly secured a position of the gymnastic staff of the East Lancashire Regiment. He rose to the rank of Staff Seargeant. Much sympathy will be felt for the sorrowing widow and two sons. A sad coincidence is that a son has only this week returned from hospital after being an inmate following a motor accident.







May 1929