Research Data


May 1, 1935. Liverpool Post and Mercury
By John Peel.
The visit of Sheffield Wednesday, the Cup winners, to Goodison Park this evening, kick-off 6,15 should attract a large attendance. This is the last league game at Goodison Park. Everton have made number of changes compared with the side that lost to Derby County on Easter Monday. Cunliffe is to lead the attack in place of Dean, while Williams and Jones are the backs instead of Jackson and Cresswell. Mercer and Clark come in for Britton and Gee and Dunn is at inside right to enable Cunliffe to take up the centre forward position. The team is; King; Williams, Jones' Mercer Clark, Thomson; Geldard, Dunn, Cunliffe, Stevenson, Stein.

May 2 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Cup Winners at Goodison Park
Everton & Sheffield Wednesday Draw.
By “Stork.”
With the exception that Rimmer was absent Sheffield Wednesday fielded their full cup team against Everton last night, and considering that it was almost the last home match of the season it was an enjoyable game. The result was a draw of two goals each, the final goal to Sheffield Wednesday coming through a penalty kick. There was much that was good in the match, and much that was moderate. There was too much haphazard kicking. The Wednesday are noted for their wing play, and Cooper, Rimmer's deputy gave a sound display, particularly in the second half. The scoring started at the eight minute, when Geldard completed a fine piece of combination between Stein and Stevenson, and Dunn to score with a great cross-drive, which left Brown helpless. Starling, the Sheffield captain made cute passes and Hooper was plied so well that he should have scored long before he did at the 20 th minute. He made one shot, which went, across the goalmouth which should have produced a goal until King, the youthful Everton goalkeeper, safely disposed of the ball. A few minutes later, however, Hooper made amends with a ground shot. I noted the Everton men in the vicinity of the goal, but Hooper got the better of them all. He seemed to stand still for a minute before he finally sent the ball into the net. Not until late on in the second half did another goal arise, but before Stevenson scored the Wednesday, had what seemed to me to be a perfect goal, Hooper had hit the post. The ball cannoned out to Palethorope, who promptly netted, but the point was disallowed; the reason was not dear, Everton claimed that they too, should have had a goal, when Brown twice thumped the ball. Brown took his arm well back, but I don't think that the ball actually crossed the line. The shooting was not all that it might have been, but I saw Brown run his knuckles after he had punched a tremendous shot by Stein out of goal. The trainer had to be called to bind up his hand. Stevenson's goal followed a round of good passing, and the ball passed from wing to wing and then back to Stein, whose inward pass sent the ball sailing across to Sheffield goal, where Stevenson got hold of the ball and flashed into the net of the upright.

Penalty Award.
The final goal was the result of a penalty award. Burrows the half-back, made no mistake with the kick. Jones and Williams played well, and King did well. Clark had a good game, and Mercer and Thomson against fiery and clever wingmen came out of the ordeal with credit, Cunliffe's found Millership a tough proposition. The crowd got up against Millership, for his treatment of Dunn and Cunliffe. Stein came to hand late on, while Geldard's best was kept until the later stages. At an informal gathering at the conclusion of the game, Mr. John McKenna the League president was congratulated on reaching his 80 th birthday. Teams: - Everton: - King, goal; Williams and Jones, backs; Thomson (captain), Clark and Mercer, half-backs; Geldard Dunn, Cunliffe, Stevenson and Stein forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Brown goal; Nibloe, and Catlin, backs; Sharp, Millership and Burrows half-backs; Hooper Surties, Palethorpe, Sterling (captain), and Cooper forwards. Referee Mr. C.E. Lines.

May 2 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By John Peel.
Sagar the Everton goalkeeper, has undergone an operation for the removal of a cartilage. Earlier in the season Sagar received an injury to his shoulder and he was unable to play in the Cup-tie with Bolton Wanderers. The trouble with the knee developed later.

May 2 1935. Evening Express.
By the Watcher.
A penalty goal in the last two minutes saved Sheffield Wednesday, the F.A. Cup winners, from defeat by Everton in the rearranged League game at Goodison Park. Each side scored twice. While the referee had no presidency in awarding the spot kick, I do not think the incident warranted such a dramatic measure. There was certainly no intention on Williams' part top foul Palethorpe. The match was disappointing as an exhibition of the highest arts of the game. Both sets of forwards shot badly, and it was not until the closing stages that zany real thrills came along. The Blues were more finished, although at times the Hillsbrough men took the honours in stylishness. Throughout the match, however, the defences always had the upper hand, and the lively ball aided them to some degree, for its antres often upset the calculations of the attacking forwards. Geldard, who with Stevenson, scored for the Blues, was the Goodison club's best attacker. He has had a great time since Christmas and finished the home fixture list brilliantly. It was a clever run on his part that resulted in Stein giving Stevenson the change to score. Stein also was a “live wire” in the home attack and Mercer and Thomson were the pick of an intermediate line. Williams pressed me greatly. He was sound in everything he did and was never uncertain facing the Coop-Starling wing. Jones also played a useful game, and with two defenders in front of him, King had not a great deal to worry about. I though Catlin, Millership, Cooper and Hooper the pick of the Wednesday. Brown the goalkeeper, who had a hand bandaged made a brilliant save from a tremendous shot by Stein.

May 3, 1935. Evening Express.
Everton must win their concluding match of the season –against Birmingham, at St. Andrews tomorrow –to have a chance of finishing higher than their neighbours, Liverpool, in the league chart. The position is this, Liverpool need one point from their game with Sunderland to make sure of topping the Blues, but if they fail to get a point Everton must win to secure the honour. They will them secure it on goal avenge. The Blues will be making a bid to secure their second away win of the season –the only success was at West Bromwich -and to record their second “double” of the campaign having won 2-0 against Birmingham when they met at Goodison Park. Everton: King; Williams, Jones; Mercer, Clark, Thomson; Geldard, Dunn, Cunliffe, Stevenson, Stein.

•  Advertisement in Evening Express. Central league Match at Goodison Park Tomorrow (Saturday) Everton v. Leeds United. Kick-off 3.15 Admission 6d, 2d, Stands extra, including tax.

May 4 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
By John Peel.
Everton are due at St. Andrew's to meet Birmingham who have just scraped through in the relegation struggle. Everton will field the team, which did duty against Sheffield Wednesday in mid-week namely- Everton: King; Williams, Jones; Mercer, Clark, Thomson; Geldard, Dunn, Cunliffe, Stevenson, Stein.

May 4, 1935. Evening Express. Football Edition.
Smashing Drives Beat the Brums.
Blues' Regain Lost Lead.
Rally After First Minute Shock.
By the Pilot.
Everton won their second away match of the season and completed their second double by beating Birmingham 3-2 at St. Andrews. Stevenson was the man who made the feat possible with a goal in each half-two smashing right-foot drives. The point was scored by Barkas, who put through his own goal. It was a fine win especially as Everton were a goal down in 30 seconds. I met Mr. Andy Cunningham, of Newcastle United and Mr. Scott Duncan, of Manchester United in the district. Both attended the Aston Villa reserve match. There were people at St. Andrews to run their eye over Dunn. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Hibbs, goal; Steel and Barkas, backs; Stoker, Fillingham, and Calladine, half-backs; White Harris, Jones (C.W), Bradford and Guest, forwards. Everton: - King, goal; Williams and Jones backs; Mercer, Clark and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Dunn, Cunliffe, Stevenson and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. W.R. Jennings (Clifton). Joe Bradford, Birmingham's faithful servant who has been given a free transfer and needed one goal to complete 260, captained the home side. He was greeted with musical honours and tremendous applause. Within 30 seconds Everton were a goal down, White being the score. The home men attacked down the middle, and Williams intercepted a 25 yards shot from Jones. The ball bounded away to Guest, who raced to the line. Guest middled nicely, and King tried to sweep the ball with his right hand to the other wing. He just touched it, and White dashing in at top speed, headed into the net. Everton replied with spirited attacks on the right, Geldard forcing a corner, and Clark being baulked in a dribble. Cunliffe had a chance with the ball passing across the face of the goal, but seemed to surprised to take it. Everton did most of the pressing, without bring Hibbs into action.

Jones Hesitates.
White slipped away with Jones hesitating, and he cut across to the left, after a lovely run to place outside. Everton should have had a penalty when Cunliffe was pushed in the back. Away raced Birmingham through Jones who wasted an opportunity by shooting to quickly and outside. Everton played the better football and did the attacking, yet there was a lack of finish. Cunliffe tried an overhead shot which bounced awkwardly, but it takes more than that to beat Hibbs. When Williams miskicked, Harris had a gilt-edged chance, only he placed a foot wide of the far post. Billy Steel, ex-Liverpool and now a Blue came through with some accurate kicking, and Dunn came along with Everton's best effort so far, Hibbs saving splendidly. Within a minute Everton scored twice. Everton had been trying to progress down the middle when suddenly Thomson took command. He feinted to go inside, but wheeled around to the left flank, and put in a wonder run which brought him up to the goal line. He made a low, short centre, and Barkas tried to turn the ball back to Hibbs, Hibbs, however, had advanced and the ball rolled over the line. Time; 40 minutes. In the next attack Stevenson gave Everton the lead. The attack emanated from the right, and close yet clever inter-passing saw a hook transfer drop to Stevenson let go a right-footed drive, which Hibbs got his left hand to, but could not stop going into the roof of the net. Birmingham had not attacked more than four times so far.

Half-time Birmingham City 1 Everton 2.
Birmingham opened the second half much more convincingly, and White swept through on good ground. The ball was pushed out to Bradford, who anxious for his 250 th goal tried a chance header, which went wide. Birmingham equalised 10 minutes after the interval. Harris nipped through when the Everton defenders hesitated and gave to Jones. Jones turned the ball forward and Harris appeared to help it along with his hand before placing into the near corner. Everton appealed to the referee to consult a linesman, but he refused. Inspired by their equaliser, Birmingham played better than at any time in the game, White and Harris trying shots which finished outside. Everton always developed better, and they went away in 74 minutes to regain the lead with a lovely goal by Stevenson. Geldard paved the way and when he centred Stevenson crashed home a fine, right-footed shot. King saved a fine drive from Jones, then Jones hooked over as King advanced. Williams and Clark were outstanding in Everton's defence, and King played with confidence. Birmingham pressed hotly in the closing minutes, but King kept them at bay. Jones finished outside for Everton.

Final –Birmingham 2 Everton 3.
Joe Bradford was accorded a great ovation at the end of the game. Thousands of people streamed across the ground and stood round the entrance of the dressing room, shouting in chorus, “We want Joe.” When Bradford appeared up in the stand the ground rang with cheers. It is doubtful if any player has been accorded such an ovation.

May 4, 1935. Evening Express, Football Edition.
Everton played Gee at centre half for the Reserve game against Leeds United at Goodison Park. The opening play was without incident. The first item of note being a corner kick forced off Morris, This was cleared, but the ball still hovered in the vicinity of the Everton goal until Roper tried a shot which passed just outside. A free kick against Archer again placed the Everton goal in danger. Morris headed away a good centre by Worsley. Everton at length took up the attack, Sandham crossing nicely on the opposite wing. Abel, however nipped in before Leyfield could get possession. Another good centre by Sandham ended in Bentham shooting outside. When Archer conceded a corner to prevent Worsley centring White saved at the second attempt. After five minutes play Everton took the lead. A corner by Sandham was helped across the goal by Hannon, and Leyfield had little difficulty in heading through. After this goal, Everton livened up considerably and for some time the Leeds defence was hard pressed. First Sandham neatly beat Stronston and forced Moore to a good save and then Bentham drove a fine shot just outside the upright. A second goal was not long delayed, Leyfield again being the scorer. Sandham and Hannon formed an excellent wing, and Moore, who had previously turned aside a fine drive by Leyfield now made a good save from Sandham. A free kick taken by gee, which the Leeds ‘keeper stopped but could not completely clear led to Sandham scoring Everton's third goal. Half-time Everton Res 3 Leeds United Res 0.

May 6, 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Success
Bradford in Stroking Demonstration.
By “Bee.”
Everton won their second away game of the season when beating Birmingham at St. Andrew's 3-2 after one of the best games seen this season. The game was noteworthy for the right back of Everton and for the finale of Joe Bradford, who has been such a splendid, figure to football and his club in particular. The whistle sounded with a home defeat but the crowd would not go away till Bradford had been called from the dressing room and had heard their joyful shots and good wishes. The crowd stayed for ten minutes singing his praises and then disappeared, the band playing the National Anthem. It was a stirring scene, and one, which visibly affected the player, who has for fifteen and a half years been a servant of the Birmingham club. He had only one regret. All through the afternoon the whole of the home side tried to make him a present of a goal knowing he was one short of the magic and easily remembered figure of 250. Everyone tried to give him a goal, but fortune was against him, and the big crowd was unable to make his a fitting celebration upon his final appearance. A goal simply would not come to him. Indeed the thought of giving Bradford his one notch probably cost Birmingham a point because it rearranged their normal style of play. The home side took the lead in one minute through White. Afterwards Harris had scored, but the tide had just turned through the interference of a simple centre from Thomson, the Everton half-back, who had made a grand run, Barkas turned this ball beyond his own goalkeeper. So Everton became more and more prominent, and Stevenson got two goals of fine quality.

Going For the Gloves.
There was one goal margin when Birmingham went for the glows; there was one round of attack in the last 5 minutes, and the home side must have had ten corners kicks, but not one could they squeeze through, in fact the best they did was to beat the boy King with a fiery drive that he got to very cleverly. It was a rousing finish a bright farewell to Birmingham's hero, even though it ended in defeat, but everyone present found pleasure in the way Everton sharped. True, Birmingham had their spells of energy and endeavour, but rarely have Everton played so well together. There was a weak link, but it was so triflying it was not worthy of mention. Instead, let it be said that Williams had one of his strongest days, that Clark at centre half back was no slave to the three-back principle, and was a great help to his forwards and a hindrance to the bonny raiding. Wilson, ex-Wrexham. Add the fine touch of Thomson and Mercer, at wing half-back had to be good. Cunliffe did much spadework at centre, and Geldard began well and finished his day rather tamely, whereas Stevenson was always good, and Stein variable, while Dunn the only man not signed by Everton, made wise moves and delivered some strong shots against the great goalkeeper Hibbs. Birmingham's bad luck came in the goal scored against them. They were too keen, and not sufficiently wise in their non-stop trades against a taut defence. Stoker was good at wing half, and Steel, the former Liverpool back has fitted into the Birmingham game, while of the attackers, Harris, Wilson and White were best. Guest being wasteful. So Everton ended the season on a bright note-the uncommon things for team of a win away from home; the previous win was in the Midlands when they won at West Bromwich, otherwise they have had no success for two years. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Hibbs, goal; Steel and Barkas, backs; Stoker, Fillingham, and Calladine, half-backs; White Harris, Jones (C.W), Bradford and Guest, forwards. Everton: - King, goal; Williams and Jones backs; Mercer, Clark and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Dunn, Cunliffe, Stevenson and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. W.R. Jennings (Clifton).

May 6, 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Central League (Game 42)
The Goodison attack combined well, and it was their quick moving methods particularly in the United's goal area that led to the victory. Leyfield opened Everton's score with a well-judged header, and a few minutes later followed with the second goal. The third was added by Sandham following a ground shot from Gee and although Kelly got a deserved goal for Leeds, Leyfield rounded off the scoring with Everton's fourth goal.

Marine 4 Everton “A” 2
Liverpool County Combination
Marine winners of the County Combination defeated Everton “A” (runners up) by 4 goals to 2, at Crosby.

May 6 1935. Evening Express.
Higham's Transfer.
A Burnley and Exeter Fancy.
Blues End Season In Fine Style.
Norman Higham, Everton's young centre forward, who was placed on the free transfer list, has been signed by Middlesbrough. Higham joined Everton from Chorley a few seasons ago and made a few first team appearances. He had been fancied by Burnley and Exeter City. Everton wound up their season in fine style at Birmingham where they won 3-2 after being a goal down in the first minute. Throughout they were the more balanced side, using the ball methodically on a bone-hard ground. The match was more like an opening game than a finale, for there was always abundant action and graceful football. The power of Everton's half backs in which Clark was outstanding laid the foundations for the win, but King was excellent in goal and Williams a fine back. Stevenson was the best forward and scored two goals, the other point being conceded by Barkas, who turned through Thomson's centre.

May 10 1935. Evening Express.
By the Pilot.
The cream of Welsh Irish, and Lancashire footballers will be seem in action at Goodison Park tomorrow, when the great Julilee international match will be played between an eleven chosen from the Football league and a combined Welsh and Irish international team. The match will provide a fitting finale to football's Jubilee celebrations. In addition to the promise of a soccer treat, the match is unique in many respects.” Every legislator, club director and official and every Pressman will pay for admission, Everton directors have paid 3s, 6d, each for their own seats in the directors' box. The referee, linesmen and players also are giving their services free in order that the entire proceeds may be devoted to the King's Jubilee Trust Fund. The Everton club are bearing all the match expenses and entertaining the teams. Now it is up to every football enthusiast in the area to support the game. Let us have a “bumper” gate –an attendance worthy of the great occasion. The Football league management have chosen their players from Lancashire clubs. There will be five Everton men in the game. Cresswell, Britton, Geldard, and Leyfield for the League and Stevenson for the combined eleven.

Former Goodison Men.
Two former Everton players will also be on view –Holdcroft, the Preston goalkeeper, and Tom Griffiths of Middlesbrough, who captains the combined side.

•  Advertisement in Evening Express. King George v. Jubilee Trust Fund- International Match at Goodison Park Tomorrow (Saturday) Everton v. Ireland and Wales. Kick-off 3.15. Admission 1/- Boys 4d Stands Extra, including tax. Booked Seats at Sharp's Whitechapel. All pay.

May 13 1935. Evening Express.
Everton Chairman's Hint
By the Pilot.
Merseyside saw the two-referee system of control for the first time on Saturday when the Football League defeated the combined Wales and Ireland eleven ten goals to two at Goodison Park. Opinions were divided as to the success of the system. My personal opinion was that the match refereed itself, and so was not a true test, but many mistakes arose, particularly in regard to offside decisions, and there seemed to be no understanding between the referees and the linesmen. Further, on one occasion a referee ran into the partner's half, and had to be reminded by the spectators. At the dinner, which followed –given by Everton –Mr. W.C. Cuff, chairman of Everton, expressed the view that the responsibility of refereeing a match those days was too much for one man. The two-referee system made matches appear easy to control, and he hinted that, although no one had officially mooted the scheme, the question of goal judges would receive a favourable reception at headquarters. “With two referees in the field” he said, I am certain that we shall cut out a great deal of rough play. I consider the system is worthy of further exploitation.” Mr. John McKenna, who celebrates his silver jubilee as president of the Football League on June –3 –the King's birthday –was presented with a silver cigar box, and Mr. Cuff with a silver cigarette box, by the Football Association of Wales and the Irish F.A. Each player participating in the game is to receive a silver ornament, a replica of the jubilee symbol, which is being presented to the Prince of Wales. This is being done with the permission of the Prince.

May 10, 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Geldard, Cresswell, Britton, and Leyfield played for the Football League against Wales and Ireland League at Goodison Park, Stevenson playing for Ireland and Wales team. English winning 10-2, Gelded and Leyfield scoring one each.

May 17 1935. Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
By John Peel
Dunn, the Everton inside-right, has been transferred to Exeter City playing six times for Scotland. Dunn through small has proved a most able player, and has rendered Everton excellent service. He helped the club to regain their place in the first division and besides participating in the championships successes, was also a member of the cup winning team in 1932-33. He joined Everton in 1928 from Hibernians.

Saturday, May 18, depart Liverpool (Lime street station) 10 am luchean in restaurant car. Arrive London (Euston) 1-30pm, transfer to Victoria street, depart London (Victoria street) 4-20pm to Switzerland, travelling via Boulogn and Laon, dinner in restaurant car after leaving Boulogue sleeping car Berth-Boulogne? Bale.

Sunday, May 19 arrive Bale 6-30am breakfast at buffet depart-bale 7-23a.m. Arrive Berne 9-27am-hotel Bristol match against Berne
May 20 Monday-in Berne
Tuesday May 21 depart Berne 11-23am , arrive Zurich 1-23pm-hotel Bristol
Wednesday May 22, to Thursday May 23, Friday may 24 in Zurich
Saturday May 25, to Kreuzlingen for match by motor coach, leave about 4pm afternoon tea and dinner at hotel Helvetia
Sunday may 26, at Zurich against FC Grasshoppers
Monday May 27, depart Zurich 11-40am, arrive Bale 1-08pm- hotel Trios Rois
Tuesday May 28 and Wednesday May 29 in Bale.
Thursday May 30 match against FC Basle
Friday May 31, depart bale 12-28pm, arrive Geneva 4-50pm- Hotel Metropolis and National
Saturday June 1 in Geneva
Sunday June 2 match against F.C Servettes (Geneva)
Monday June 3 depart Geneva 6-02 p.m., dinner in restaurant car, arrive bale 10-13pm depart Bale 12-30am sleeping car berths reserved Balel Calais Tuesday June 4 breakfast in restaurant car, arrive Calais maritime 11-30am, depart Calais maritime 12-05pm, depart Dover 1-45pm luncheon in restaurant car, arrive London (Victoria street) 3-20pm, transfer to Euston street, depart London (Euston street) 6-05pm, dinner in restaurant car, arrive Liverpool (Lime street) 9-40pm

May 20, 1935. Evening Express.
Everton Winger's Injury at Bernie.
Berne, Today.
Stein, Everton's outside left, broke a leg in the Goodison club's first match of the tour in Switzerland. The match, which was against Berne, was drawn 2-2. Stein had a share in the scoring of Everton's first goal. Playing with the sun at their backs, Everton soon set up a series of attacks, and although the Berne defenders tried to stem the tide, five corners were forced in quick succession. The last one was well placed by Stein, and the ever alert Dean bundled both the ball and the goalkeeper into the net. While Everton showed the cleverer football-some of their passing was excellent, the Berne team were quick and vigorous and at the end of 35 minutes' play Cresswell was beaten by speed, and Weber, the outside right, made the scores level. The English team started the second half at a great pace and Dean, slipping between the backs, put in a fast shot, which had the goalkeeper beaten, but his the bar. It was Berne who scored next, and once again it was due to Weber, who neatly got the better of Cresswell and put the ball into the centre, where O'Neill –an Irishman called in for this match –gave King no chance to save. Everton fought back, and although the Berne goalkeeper made some magnificent saves, he was beaten in the 16 th minute by Dean, who shot brilliantly after a free kick taken by Williams had hit the bar. Afterwards, it was almost all Everton. They stormed the Berne goal but the tired defenders managed to keep out the ten Englishmen until the final whistle brought them relief. The play of the Everton team greatly pleased the 5,000 people. Stevenson was the most prominent forward and he initiated some fine attacks. Geldard played a neat game on the rightwing, and Dean showed his usual dash in the centre. Everton: - King, goal; Williams and Cresswell, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Stein, forwards.

May 23, 1935. Liverpool Echo
What a mixed grill: twenty-four hours after leaving Liverpool, we arrived at Berne on Sunday morning to find this city and the Swiss government headquarters almost as quiet as our ‘'home town'' might be at such an unearthly hour. We were met on the platform by Townley, who was to play against us in the afternoon for the Berne Town team. He is the son of Archer (?) Townley, the old Blackburn Rovers who has contributed so considerably towards bringing up the young footballer of Germany and other continental nations (and didn't he show for his coaching in the match). There were several other members of the club helped to give us as warm a welcome as wintry may would permit. Whilst in the sleeper from Boulogue we passed through quite a heavy snowstorm. At the Hotel Bristol. Harry O'Neill ex-Earle, Runcorn, Cardiff City etc was waiting to give a warm hand to old acquaintance. He is at present playing for the Zurich team, but has been specially brought to Berne to assist the native in this extra-special battle. Harry Cooke went through to the ground and found the surface as full of fruit as though this was going to be the first match of the new season, instead of the last of the old. The ground itself was beautifully situated on the edge of a forest, so that a certain section of the spectators are under cover of a canopy of trees. When the game started before 6,000 spectators no one of us imagined that the ill luck of injuries for 1935 was still to be continued. The Swiss team played in a striking jersey of white, with multi-coloured circumnavigating (1) rings. Dean won the toss and from the start it looked for all the world that this was going to be a matter of keeping check on the score. But no! Goals seemed to be the one item that didn't matter, for it was simply marvellous how elusive the first goal turned out to be. Stein eventually put a curing corner kick in and goalkeeper Treuberg being somewhat bothered by our Mr. Dean, helped the ball on its way to no 1. A really brilliant run by the swiss outside right was only ended, when a great right-foot shot aped to the back and corner of the net. This was all the first half scoring but very soon after the interval O'Neill scrambled a second goal in after King made a brillant save from the inside left. Neither goalie was troubled by the charging rule, and the game was fought out in a spendid spirit. Seventy minutes had sped by before Ben Williams punted a perfect ball well down the middle and Dean taking it with his left foot, beat Treuberg completely. Then we were definitely on top, and at the height of the pressure, Jimmy Stein making a desperate effort to get a bouncing ball, was unfortunate enough to kick simultaneously with the full back, and the resultant crack was ominous. It was too true. Jimmy was down with a broke leg. Referee Herren sticking to the letter of the law, carried on the play, but Thomson picked the ball up and booted it far out of the field. An ambulance was soon on the ground, and stein was taken to the emergence hospital in Berne, where he was treated by the most notable bonesetter in Switzerland. This incident put a proper camper on the game, and although there was still eight minutes remaining, Leyfield made an effort to get into action, but was only on for half a minute before the whistle blew. Thus the first game of the tour ended in a two goals drew. The directors went to the hospital with Stein, and finally came away with the assurances that he could not be in better hands while waiting for us to return for him in a fortnight's time. In the evening the whole party, along with some of the swiss players attended the local Kursand, but the croupiers for once had no luck! This is a fine place to look down on the town from being set on the highest point in the district. Bedtime found everybody very well prepared to settle down for a good night's rest, after a day's travel, and a strenuous and unfortunate game. There are some marvellous posters all over the town even in millinery and such like shops, depicting the Everton team and the history in brief for the last fifty years.

Sunday Post - Sunday 26 May 1935
James Cassidy, veteran member of a well-known Motherwell sporting family died suddenly at his home. The Hostel, Merry Street, Motherwell An original member of Motherwell Alpha, which merged with Motherwell Glencairn, to found Motherwell Football Club in 1886, Mr. Cassidy led the rank of Scottish football players to England. His companion was Mr James Murray, still resident in Motherwell. Known to a former football generation as "Skinner" Cassidy, he was a dashing centre and outside-left
While with Everton, his English club, he received a Jubilee medal at Queen Victoria's Jubilee. Latterly, Mr Cassidy took up angling and his advice was sought by experts and amateurs alike throughout. He was a leading Lanarkshire member of Motherwell Angling cJub. His only brother, Mr. Joseph Cassidy, now living in U.S.A., is an ex-member of Celtic, Middlesbrough, and Manchester City football clubs. The latter was in Glasgow last year. His nephew, Joe Devine, at present plays for Birmingham. Mr. Cassidy, who retired several years ago, leaves a widow, two sons and two daughters.

May 27, 1935. Evening Express.
Zurich Today.
Everton won two games in to days at Zurich. They beat the kreuzlingen club in a floodlight match, ten goals to one, and a side representing the Zurich Grasshoppers and “Young Fellows” by three goals to one. Against Kreuzlingen club Everton's clever and accurate team work was a source of delight and astonishment to the crowd. Dixie Dean did well and obtained three of the goals, the others being scored by Stevenson (2), Cunliffe (two), Geldard, and Thomson, the tenth being registered by a home defender. Everton were a goal up in about a minute, Dean scoring a centre by Geldard. They were soon hot on the trail again and following passing by the inside forwards Stevenson scored. There was no holding Everton and after a cleverly throught out movement, Geldard put them three up, Dixie Dean increasing the lead a moment later. Kreuzlingen were almost completely subdued and Everton went further ahead through Stevenson and Thomson. Half-time Kreuzlingen 0 Everton 6

Everton did not relax on resuming for in the opening minutes of the second half Cunliffe scored a smart goal and repeated the performance a moment later. Subsequently Kreuzlingen had more of the game and after 20 minutes obtained a goal. Everton had not finished, however, Dean scoring his third goal shortly afterwards. Everton: - King, goal; Williams and Jones, backs; Mercer, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Leyfield, forwards.

Cunliffe's Hat-Trick
Cunliffe had a great match against the Zurich Grasshoppers' side, and had the distinction of scoring all the tourists goals. It was a great game, in which Everton produced sparkling form, which won for them golden opinions among the delighted spectators, who agreed that few English teams had produced such pleasing football. The Swiss team, though well beaten, had a lot of the game, but could make little impression on the solid Everton defence. Everton took the lead after about a quarter of an hour after Dixie Dean had headed against a post, Cunliffe net the ball and placed it safely into the back of the net. The Englishmen continued to play fine football, but although they pressed they were kept out and nearly half an hour had passed before they could increase their lead. This goal came following a miskick by one of the Swiss backs. Geldard took the ball down the wing in brilliant fashion, and when he centred Cunliffe was there to head a clever goal. Shortly before half-time Cunliffe completed the hat-trick. An opening was cut out by Dixie dean who, finding himself in an unfavorable position, transferred to Cunliffe. The Swiss team had more of the game in the second half, but several raids were effectively checked by Williams and Cresswell. Eventually, however, the outside right broke through and beat King. Subsequently the game was brimful of incident, both goalkeepers having plenty to do. The clever play of the visitors continued to evoke rounds of cheers right to the end of what was a thoroughly enjoyable sporting game. Everton: - King goal; Williams and Cresswell, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Leyfield, forwards . –P.A. Special.

May 27, 1935. Liverpool Echo
Everton continued their tour of Switzerland at Zurich, by a fine win of 3 goals to one, Over a selected side. In gaining their 10-1 win on Saturday Everton played copybook football. Dean got three goals, Stevenson and Cunliffe two each, Geldard and Thomson one each, and the tenth was scored by a Kreusligen defender. The play of the Everton side was dazzling, and their sweeping victory has created a great impressions. In the first minute Dean headed in from a centre by Geldard on the right-wing, only six minutes later the tourist added a second, after a fine movement by the three inside forwards. Stevenson the inside left, netted. The match was only seventeen minutes old, when Everton became three up, thanks to a fine bit of individual work by Geldard, clever play between the inside forwards led to another goal by Dean. Stevenson got the fifth from a corner, and just before half-time, Thomson receiving a beautiful backward pass from Dean, went through to make the scorer 6-0. In the second half Cunliffe had a couple of goals in as many minutes. The local side reduced the deficit by one when they scored a well-deserved goal after twenty minutes of the second half had elapsed. Dean got the ninth, and a Kreuzlingen defender put through his own goal to make it ten. Everton team: King, Williams, Jones, Mercer, Gee, Thomson, Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Leyfield.

Cunliffe scored all three goals in the first half against Zurich. The 8,000 spectators cheered the Merseysides for their excellent display and it was said that they were a better team than Manchester City, who played at Zurich last Sunday. The match was played on the new Grasshoppers ground. The finest in Switzerland's. Dean was closely marked, but in the thirteenth minute he headed against the post, and the ball was put into the net by Cunliffe. A second goal when one of the swiss backs miskicked, and Geldard, taking the ball in his stride, centred to Cunliffe, who headed through, Cunliffe got his third goal just before half-time, as a result of a fine piece of work by Dean, who made the goal and passed for him to score the second half was more evenly contested. The swiss outside right slipped through and scored. The tourist received a great ovation, as they left the field. Everton team: King, Williams, Cresswell, Britton, Gee, Thomson, Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Leyfield.

May 29, 1935. Liverpool Echo
Quite a few gallons must have gone down the Mersey since my last letter, but, believe me we have not noticed the time, as everybody has been so keen to help us fill our leisure by doing more than usual. We arrive here on Tuesday, and the first incident of note was the drowning of young Steve's camera, Alec has been a most ardent photographer (with the help or hindrance of Charlie Gee), and I suppose some of his sitting room decorations in the near future will consist of the masterpieces resulting from his sojourn here. Well Alec was passing a fountain in company with several of the other players when his artistic eye told him that this would be an ideal background, putting his camera down on the stone rim, he was nicely getting his clients into position when Nat Cunliffe ‘passed'' the poor thing beautifully to a watery grave! This ruined camera and Steve, when it was rescued; it was really amazing to see how many holes there are in a box camera for water to run out after running in, of course. The Zurich Grasshoppers invited the tourists to view their last league match of the season against Berne Young Boys' club (not so young). This was played by floodlights and as our next game will be under like conditions at Kreuzlingen we were all very interested to see how it worked. Well, we had to admit that there is not the slightest difference-that is when the ball in on the ground but when it is in the air, and coming in a diagonal direction from the corners of the pitch (where the pylons are set) there is some distinct difficulty in sizing the fight of the ball, which incidentally is white. Grasshoppers won 5-3, after leading 5-1. The first half was a marvellous exhibition of craft and speed People at home must realize that these teams are at less 100 per cent, better than in 1928 when we were last here, and so far we have seen nothing in their play that would give cause to think we will have any easy games. These clubs with their rapid progressive passes to the man in position, would do very well in English football. They have an eye for the main chance all the time, and they are excellently trained. Major or rather colonel schnetzer was at the Zurich ground to welcome us, and immediately asked if ‘'bee'' was with us, as he had very warm recollections of your last meeting in 1928. He asked us to give you his very best wishes. The boys here would be very glad if there is any chance of seeing an odd copy of the echo. They are not all as expert in deutsche as Warney and Jock Thomson. Cheerio for the present. By the way Jimmy Stein is doing famously at the Berne hospital, and the Berne club officials are keeping him well supplied with literature etc, besides visiting him daily to endeavour to make up for his absence from us. He will be allowed out a little by the time you get this letter.

May 30 1935. Liverpool Echo
A member of the Everton team in Switerland sends the following from Zurich: - after an afternoon trip round lake Zurich and tea at rapperawil, travelling was ‘'abdo'' until our departure for Kreuzlingen for the second match. At rapperawil we saw the swiss navy dismissing for the summer holiday. Some one took a good snapshot of Nat Cunliffe with label on his back watching Jock Thomson sleeping ; needless to say it was not Steve Camera. At kreuzlingen we found ourselves on the German border, so close in fact that by a five minute walk along the main street, one's way leads into a small edition of no man lands and trench pass the German custom officials into constancy where we saw a large ‘'dopier'' flying boat settling off for a trip over the lake where now the Graf Zeppelin has its headquarters at fredrickshufen. We were spoiled of a trip here on Friday on account of the very heavy rain that fell and I am sure most of the boys were disappointed that they were unable to see some of the constructional work on the new ‘'lepp'' the one that will be completed in August. The match proved to be a walk-over right from the start, Dean got a goal in the first minute, and eventually scored three more and with two from Stevenson and Geldard, and one from Cunliffe and Thomson. You can easily imagine the crowd - 700 –were as pleased almost as through they had won. The whole population of the little town is only 8,000, and two special trains had been run from the Rhine district. This was the biggest night ever for the local club, and the small hotel, where we stayed at night-just imagine finishing a match at 10-30pm- was absolutely packed to the door with fans of all types. Extended hours had been granted to all amusement places, and long after midnight. Kreuzlengen was celebrating the first visited of an english first league team. As a mere passing though the match ended 10-1.

The boys went to bed as early as circumstances would permit, as our next game was to be within twenty-four hours. Soon after breakfast on Sunday the journey back to Zurich, headquarters was resumed, referee Herren who had our two matches so far, and his good lady, joining our party. He was keen on seeing the Grasshopper match, as he would be unable to watch or officiate in the further games. He was been tip-top''Schiedstichter'' in the games he has taken. The sun was at fever heat when the third game started at four o'clock, and we were unfortunate enough to have to face the blinding rays. However keeping up the form that has earned for them the highest critiques thus far, the boys played wonderfully well and Jimmy Cunliffe had the satisfaction of scoring three off his own bat (sorry cricket weather this). Rather fancy this in his first offence for the team. The last one was a real gem-a left footer from 25 yards (or 23 metres). Having such a comfortable lead it was quite natural that the pace we had fought at slackened somewhat. Yet there were many officials of the Zurich club who though that our second half display was even better than the first. The Swiss team managed a goal midway through the second half, when the centre forward won a race with Ben and Frank King, both at Zurich and Krenzlingen we were presented with pennants and, as is the custom out here, from every club we have each received one of their badges. T he three matches played so far have been against combined teams and we understand it will only be at Basle where we will meet the town club itself. One would think there could be nobody else but Steve on tour for the number of times his name seems to be associated with minor incidents. Cresswell entered the room without a tie when up piped the Dublin accent ‘'is that a total tie we're wearing Warney'' auf wiederechin.

May 31 1935. Evening Express.
Penalty Goal Decides
Dean's “Double”
Basle Today.
Everton F.C. Lost the third game of their Swiss tour, being defeated by a Basle side 3-2. A Penalty goal ten minutes from time decided the issue. The Goodison Park team failed to maintain their form of the previous games and indeed appeared to be rather leg-weary following their other encounters. Yet Everton deserved compliments for making a great recovery after being two goals in arrears within 14 minutes of the start. They fought back in great style, and at half-time the scores stood level. An exciting second half provided plenty of thrills for the 8,000 spectators who saw the match. The Swiss team presented a magnificent defence which the tourists rarely looked like penetrating. Everton, on the other hand, were nearly overrun, but King, the goalkeeper, touched his best form and bringing off a number of magnificent saves it can be said that he alone rescued Everton from a heavy defeat.

Two Down.
The first thrill came in the fifth minute, when Everton made a bold bid to take the lead. Williams sent through a beautiful pass to Dean who deceived two opponents and looked like a certain scorer, only to miss from close range. After this escape the Swiss team, who showed a much better understanding and were playing superior football, opened the score at nine minutes through Bache, and five minutes later the same player increased his side's advantage. Shortly afterwards came the best goal of the match. Jones the Everton left back delivered a high pass well down the field and Dean with wonderful judgement headed it into the net for a masterly goal. This success inspired the Tourist and for a time they pressed strongly, Stevenson the inside left being unfortunate to strike the crossbar with a powerful drive. Maintaining the attack, Geldard put the ball into the net only to be pulled up for offside, but two minutes from half-time Everton's persistent efforts met with reward. Leyfield broke away on the left wing and centred in grand style. The Swiss goalkeeper rush out but could do no more than pus the ball to the feet of Dean, who promptly equalised with a terrific shot.

The Penalty.
With the Swiss backs and half-backs playing well together the Everton forwards made little progress after the interval, and consequently the defence was continuously in action. Though Williams, Jones and Gee tackled and kicked strongly, King had to handle many difficult shots. It seemed that the Tourists would effect a draw, but ten minutes from the end Gee handled in the penalty area and Buche left King helpless with the spot-kick. Thus Bache enjoyed the distinction of scoring all three goals for the victors. Everton: - King, goal; Williams and Jones backs; Mercer, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson, and Leyfield, forwards . P.A. Special.



May 1935