Everton Independent Research Data



May 1, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

By John Peel.

Everton who sail for Germany next week, will only five matches against German international trial teams. The dates and nevus are; May 9, at Hamburg; May 13 at Duisborg, May 16, at Frankfort; May 21 at Stuggart; May 24 at Nuremburg. The Everton team leaves Liverpool next Wednesday, and will pick up Sagar next Wednesday and Cunliffe for their second game, these players being engaged by the F.A. on another tour. Directors E. Green, G. Evans and Dr. Baxter, with Secretary Theo Kelly, trainer Cook, and 16 players are to form the party.



May 1, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Cup To Be Held Jointly.

Everton & Liverpool Again Draw.

Liverpool and Everton drew their Liverpool Senior Cup replayed final last night, each side scoring a goal at Goodison Park, and as it had previously been arranged not to play extra time, each club will hold the trophy for six months. The crowd, unaware of the arrangement, clamoured for extra time, but as the players are engaged in games tomorrow it was not considered fair to expect the men to play extra time. Play throughout was interesting, with Liverpool showing the better marksmanship in the first half, when Hanson netted following a free kick for hands against Cresswell, but instead of turning over with a substantial lead –Hanson missing an open goal and Rogers hitting the bar –they could only penetrate the goal guarded by King once. In the second period Everton had the more chances, but it was not until 10 minutes from time that Hughes shot the equaliser, previous to which Bell had rattled the bar, and then in the last few minutes King saved from Rogers, when it appeared as though Liverpool would snatch a victory.

Sound Defence.

Both sets of forwards found the light ball difficult to control and, apart from Hanson and Eastham of Everton, there was little to enthuse about in their forward work. The respective defences were always prominent, Cooper and Savage along with Low, making a good trio for the Anfielders, while Cresswell and Cook rarely put a foot wrong on the Everton side. King, like Hobson in the Liverpool goal, dealt soundly with all that came his way. On the run of the play a draw was a true reflex. The “gate” produced £130 making, the Monday's taking roughly £200. Teams: - Everton: - King, goal; Cook and Cresswell, backs; Kavanagh, Gee and Archer, half-backs; Hughes, Bentham, Bell, Miller, and Coulter, forwards. Liverpool: - Hobson, goal; Cooper and Savage, backs; Ramsden, Low and Peters, half-backs; Balmer, Eastham, Rogers, Browning and Hanson, forwards.



May 1, 1936. Evening Express.

“Theft By Finding” Charge.

James Dunn Pleads Guilty.

Evening Express Correspondent.

James Dunn, the former Everton inside forward, and Scottish international now with Exeter City, appeared at Exeter Police Court today, accused of sterling a lady's handbag, containing 25s 6d, a saving bank deposit book, two gold rings and a gold bangle. Dunn pleaded guilty. The chief Constable (Mr. F.T. Terry) said it was a case by sterling by finding. The owner of the handbag, a Mrs Jones, lost it in the Newtown district of Exeter. As well as cash and other articles, the bag contained a number of valuable documents. Each of the documents bore an address by which the finder could easily traced the owner as someone connected with her. Mrs Jones reported the loss to the police, and Dunn was seen by a detective more than six weeks after the loss of the bag. At first he denied any knowledge of the bag, but when further questioned he said, “I will be straight about it, and make it right with the owner.” The Chief Constable read a statement made by Dunn, and in which he said that he saw the handbag lying on a kerb and picked it up. “When I was in Liverpool.” The statement continued “I lost a wallet with £25 in it, I never had it back and I said that the next thing I found I would keep. “ He added that he kept the money, but threw the bag and the other contents into the river. He expressed the hope that the case would not be heard in court. Mr. A. McGahey (for Dunn) said that unfortunately the whole of the facts, as outlined by the Chief Constable, were true, Dunn, a professional footballer, had seven seasons with Everton, before joining Exeter, and he formerly lived in Liverpool. Aged 34, he was married with five children, four of whom were in Liverpool. He had to keep two homes going. The children in Liverpool were living with friends, and Dunn sent money for their upkeep each week. Dunn, he continued, was walking along in Exeter when he kicked the bag. Unfortunately he placed too much reliance on the old fallacy “finding are keepings.” The money he had sent for the upkeep of his children, but he promised to repay Mrs Jones in full tomorrow (Saturday). Dunn intended to return to Liverpool this summer. He had not been in trouble previously and a conviction would prevent him from obtaining a licensed house. The Chief Constable stated that Dunn a native of Glasgow, had no previous conviction. He was one of the leading footballers in the country and had played for Scotland in international matches. Binding Dunn over for 12 months the bench made a condition that he repay the money within seven days. The Chairman (Mr. H. Hall) said the magistrates regarded it as a rather serous case. Dunn was earning good wages and should have known better. Dunn was bound over for 12 months, a condition being that he repaid the money within seven days.



May 1, 1936. The Liverpool Echo.

Bloomer's figure will haunt the grounds.

Bee's Notes.

The romance of footballers' lives amaze me. Some of them are very jaunty in their early football success; they live at the rate of £15 a week, which as you must know, does not show a profit. They bet in tenners and think in the present-tense, forgetting the future is not strewn with hotel life, for the menu card that showed thirty course now dwindles into a one-course meal, homely and not massive. But the romance of Dixie Dean's football life would fill a volume. It is compelling and appealing period, covering eleven years with Everton, a few years with Tranmere, accidents on the road, on the field of play, with cup medals and league medals being scattered along the path. But a few months ago I told the public his name had been associated with Hearts of Midlothian. He himself felt his period of usefulness was at the end. He wanted to get away. Denials followed, but there could be no doubt about the inquiry made by hearts, if not other clubs, and Dean's mood at that moment was not a happy one. Today he has received afresh the memories of his old-time glories. He is on the verge of another record. Tomorrow the entrancing Preston North End team visit Goodison Park, and maybe they will join in cheering Dean's goal that equalises Steve Bloomer's English League record, which has stood the test of many years. In Dean's early life with Everton he reached out for Camsell's record and took sixty goals in a season. The final day of the season he needed three in the game which ended Charlie Buncan's career with Arsenal. He got three after a struggle with a penalty kick and two others, and the third being so long delayed one though he could never attain his object. When he scored late in the game people rushed the ground, and the rest of the game might as well not have gone on, because no one took the slightest interest in it, and nobody cared if anybody scored a dozen goals! Dean had attended his sixtieth notch. Happy days. And more to come. If Dean gets his goal tomorrow, or two to break the record, the enormous crowd going to Goodison to see for themselves, will be overjoyed with the historic occasions. It is quaint Preston should come here to make up our final effort of the season. We remember their defeat of Everton in the Cup; we remember this is their best year of artistry since they were old timers in their proud days. They are playing magnificent football this season and instinctly one's mind turns back to a period when Dicky Downs was at back for Everton and Preston were saved relegation that day by rather extraordinary circumstances. The occasion tomorrow is sufficient to draw the public. Dean's three goals last week among the best things he has done. People talked of him three years ago as “finished.” They forgot his year they forget his early start; they forget his approached the sill in positioning himself, and facing the right way to force pace into a ball with his header. He is today one of the greatest men the game has produced, and tomorrow I am hopeful he will wind up the session in the way he wound up the 60-goals record. It will be an English League record if he gets two comparisons with McGrory the late Hughie Ferguson, and so on, are out of place. You cannot compare varying and various leagues. Scotland has two top-notchers, the English League never knows whether its famous side is going to be champions or relegated. Dean's eventual record will stand for all time; that is my belief and I found it on the fact that modern football defence has grown to an extent preventing any forward collecting and glut of goals Dean has to his name. So hitch up your “breeks,” Mr. William Raplh Dean, and let us have a chance to make this mighty cheerful note on the closing day of football's innings. He will be facing Holdcroft and Lowe, former Everton defenders and friends, and their form this season has been sufficient to show Dean cannot attain his “honour” without clever play. Everton: - Sagar; Jackson, Jones; Britton, White, Mercer; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Gillick.


Saturday 2, May 1936 Derby Daily Telegraph


Hopes of winning the championship of the Central League brought a record crowd— for reserves match—to the Baseball Ground this afternoon to support Derby County Res. in their vital encounter with Everton Reserves. The last match of the season the Baseball Ground had a unique interest, for the Rams Reserves had gain only one point to achieve, for the first time, the distinction of heading the Central League. Team is:— DERBY COUNTY RESERVES Scattergood Webb Collin Bell Harm Jessop Boyd Roberts Bowers Ramage Halford -Coulter Miller Hullett Bentham Holmes Watson Jones Gee Morris Cook King EVERTON RESERVES Referee: Mr. G. S. Blackhall. Wcdncsbury. HALFORD scored for Derby County Reserves after 26 minutes. Half-time: DERBY COUNTY RES. 1 EVERTON RES 0. BOWERS scored for Derby County Res. after 46 minutes. HALFORD scored tor Derby County Res. after 49 minutes. EVERTON'S LAST MATCH.

May 2, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

By John Peel.

Special interest centres in Everton's last game against Preston North End. There is a possibility that Dean may be afforded an opportunity of gaining the two goals which would beat Bloomer's record, but Everton centre sustained an injury to the shoulder last Saturday and it will not be decided until just before the game whether he will be able to turn out. In his possible absence Bell will deputise. The kick-off is at 3.15 and the teams are: - Everton: - Sagar; Jackson, Jones; Britton, White, Mercer; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Dean, (or Bell), Stevenson, Gillick. Preston North End: - Holdcroft; Gallimore, Lowe; Shankly, Tremelling, Milne; Dougal, Beresford, Maxwell, O'Donnell (F), O'Donnell (H.).



May 2, 1936. The Evening Express, Football Edition.

By Tom Bradshaw

The part which goalkeepers play in the game has been considerable attention, and apparently will exercise the minds of the law-makers during the coming summer. Should they be given complete protection by the rules in their own goal-areas? That is one topic for discussion. Another is whether their activities in the handling line should be curtained, and confined to the space inside the six yards line. Let me add that it is easier to make suggestions for rule-changes concerning goalkeepers than it is to be concerning goalkeepers that it is to e convinced they will work satisfactorily. For instance the suggestion that no attempt shall be made to touch a goalkeeper who has gone down with the ball in his possession. Would not such a rule tempt goalkeepers to drop with the ball when danger threatened and to lie there? Can you put in the rules a time limit for the goalkeeper to stay? Those questions are interesting to me, and raise doubts in my mind concerning the wisdom of the proposals.



May 2, 1936. The Evening Express, Football Edition.

A record crowd for a Central League match at Derby assembled in the hope of seeing the home side make certain of the championship of the competition. The visitors were the first to interest in attack, and were especially dangerous on the right, where Holmes generally had the better of Collins. Fine centre half play by Hann enabled Derby to hit back, but the eager Bowers, scorer of 22 goals in his last eight games, twice over-ran the ball, when put through. The visitors had some very narrow escapes. Following a corner, Roberts hit the upright, with King well beaten. Miller was seen to good advantage in the Everton forward line. Both teams played clever football. Derby were the more dangerous, and only a daring dive by King to the feet of Bowers prevented the centre forward scoring. Both players were slightly hurt as a result of the collision, but they quickly resumed. Halford gave Derby the lead in 25 minutes by heading through a centre by Boyd. Thrills were now frequent and were nearly all of Derby's creating, King and Cook were magnificent defenders, but Gee was often out of position. Half-time Derby Res 1, Everton Res 0.



May 2, 1936. The Liverpool Football Echo

Everton Win Their Last Match.

Bell, Leyfield, Britton

By Bee.

Preston were a big disappointment at Everton when the curtain at the season was run down with Everton winning in a canter. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Jones, backs; Britton, White (captain), and Mercer, half-backs; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards. Preston North End: - Holdcroft, goal; Gallimore, and Lowe, backs; Shankey, Tremelling and Milne, half-backs; Dougal, Beresford, Maxwell, O'Donnell (F.), O'Donnell (H.), forwards. Referee Mr. Williams, Bolton.

And so to the end of the register of 1935-36 dusty roads at Goodison Park needing refreshing summer rains and the players in a similar frame of mind.; the ball light and airy; tours in the offing and summer time making a surprise of fixtures not good for those with sore-toes. The sadness of parting was increased because “Dixie” Dean was unable to be present to try to equal Steve Bloomer's English League record. It is feared that he has broken a bone in the shoulder. I saw him before the match, and he was most perturbed that his arm should be in a sting and his chance of playing was nil. All week doctors and specialists had worked on time with the hope and bet on that he would play, but Preston and the crowd of 20,000 were doomed to disappointment. Preston knocked Everton out of the Cup at this ground and drew the league match at Deepdale. Therefore Everton had come secures to wipe out with this dark long ball that had been soaked for the purpose of making it a little heavier than usual. It bothered both Gillick and Mercer in the first minute of play, and when Britton made his first of three charming passes Holdcroft the former Everton keeper left his goal and got a wrong angle of the ball. He connected with the ball, however, with a quick step, showing that he had kept his eye on it. Bunny Bell came near getting his second goal in English League football when a delivery by Gillick brought him a chance of heading beyond Holdcroft. Everton were playing towards the Aintree goal and Mercer could not, there be blame the run for this rather unsteady opening bouts. There was point about Preston's work, and their forward line did more with a single pass than Everton did in a round of single handed endeavour, and for a winding up game the early play was of extremely good character.

Dainty O'Donnell.

F O'Donnell is the neatest of dribblers in small space and remembering his height his daintness is unusual. Here he must have delighted the heart of all who like to see neat and good football. Preston would have been first in the score list if Sagar had not stretched forward two yards and got his fingers to a hot shot by H. O'Donnell, a grand shot and an equally grand save. Sagar had to bend the knee a moment later when facing a free kick with his defenders lined up on sentry duty. Maxwell was the free kick member and his first effort was crowded but and the return presents on spot kick was taken badly, probably through surprise. A free kick through a blunderbuss tackle by Gallimore brought Everton's first goal in a quarter of an hour and the cheering that greeted it was a prelude to a second outburst of praise when Bell the scorer advanced towards the centre line.

Bell's Old-Fashioned Goal.

Bell took this goal in old-fashioned style, cool, collected, and with a good sense of position and finishing point. He had already given faint imitations of Dean's famous headers and now beat Tremelling with the cutest dribble only to find himself faced with the daring Holdcroft. Nine times in ten such an opening merely brings forth the bellow of the crowd and the goalkeeper produce the goods by smothering process. In this one Bell very coolly beat the goalkeeper so effectively as he had beaten the other defenders. It was quite a well taken goal, and a second to the former Tranmere player was promised when Bell gently flicked the ball with his ankle and goalkeeper and full backs were nonplussed till a Preston man came along to kick away from under the goalpost. Leyfield was to his usual sparkling and enterprising form, and when he was through the referee took a long time to say “Offside” In any case Leyfield's shot struck the base of the upright. White acting captain for the day for Dean had to do a fair amount of spade work when the O'Donnell got busy, and once more Bell send his head to the ball in a manner that was comforting to those who look to a future centre forward problem in the Everton team. Preston were not in their best mood and the backs were easily beaten. Bell surprised the defender with a ball that few though he could reach. Holdcroft surprised Stevenson by grabbing the little man' shot. But in half an hour Leyfield scored a memorable goal, flying through single-handed and finishing the ball into the net. He was not but off his goal by the close attention of defenders, and in his pace and final goal, sent the crowd to a frenzied state. How do you think the goal started? It was taken direct from a goal kick by Sagar, which recalled a similar incident on the same ground when Everton and Liverpool met in a League match, and another occasion when Coulter the outside left, crossed to inside right to take up Sagar's goal kick; no one else touched the ball. White and O'Donnell (F.) scrapped each other rather badly and Holdcroft took not only a hefty charge by Cunliffe but also a free kick taken by Jackson, and the ball threatening to escape the goalkeeper's attention, but Holdcroft gathered it at the angle of the posts. He was not so clever a moment later with a Gillick corner kick from which he was a yard out of reckoning. Gillick had been laid flat and hurt, but recovering, he made his first shot and Holdcroft did well to keep it out of goal; Preston has been disappointing in every department –even in goal. Gallimore tried to brighten matters for the old club, but nothing was seen of Beresford or Dougal, albeit the outside right have been damaged and therefore was struggling on one and a half legs. In the Everton defence Jackson was stout-hearted and strong and Mercer and O'Donnell (F.) were inclined to forget themselves as the latter had kicked the ball when it was in Sagar's hands. On half-time Holdcroft was nearly beaten by Stevenson, who slipped in with a real surprise packet. Gillick, in matches this season, has been a man of war –always in battle has been a man of war –always in battle or damaged, and today on three occasions he was rather badly knocked, but that did not effect the power of his shot.

Half-time Everton 2, Preston North End 0

Among the spectators I noticed Alf Harland, the former Everton goalkeeper. The second half started with Jackson, Britton and Leyfield putting the ball all along the line. Leyfield's shot being rather wide. F.O'Donnell once more showed his neatless without response from his partners, but generally speaking the game now began to become insipid with Everton in front and Preston not impressive. Lowe, the former Everton back, went off the field for a time through a damaged knee. He is one of the many North End regulars who have escaped injury and kept their first team place. Leyfield showed his power of shot, and for a moment Preston threatened to revive, but it was a very paltry promise and was not fulfilled. Maxwell had no chance, and the difference in the half-back lines was most marked. Matters were not improved by reason of the Preston forwards being trapper into offside and one foul by Tremelling on Bell was the result of temper.

Leyfield Sparkles.

Leyfield was in bright form, and relieved the now very moderate match with the sparkle of his individualism. White was also joyfully greeted by the crowd because of his endeavour and success. Holdcroft was well beaten more than once, and was fortunate to keep his margin low, especially when Bell headed and the goalkeeper failed in handle. Fortunately for Preston the header swerved outside. Britton weaved in and out the opposition by the touchline and gave the spectators something to buzz about. After which Leyfield had a knock on the head, and a free kick against Gillick led the ball bouncing against Holdcroft's face.

Britton's “Placed” Penalty.

H. O'Donnell now went centre forward with Maxwell at outside left but we had now reached the real end of the season football, with tired feet and players anxious for time to fly. Leyfield scored a third a quarter of an hour form the finish. Bell was twice most unlucky not to score. Leyfield was brought down by Milne and Britton took the penalty kick, scoring by the unexpected measures of a place kick rather than a shot. No one was more surprised than Holdcroft who had expected the customary flash drive. Bell added the fifth and the best goal of the day with a thundering shot. Final Everton 5, Preston North End 0.



May 2, 1936. The Liverpool Football Echo.

By Louis T. Kelly

•  “Dixie” Dean's wonder hat-trick of a week ago was his first since scoring three goals in succession against Huddersfield Town in March, 1932.

•  Cresswell's League record –played 564; goals one. Tommy Johnson's – played 510; goals 223.

•  Despite forward failings, uncertain defence has been a bigger fault with the Everton side during 1935-36. Fifteen times have the Blues been debited with three goals or more in a match.

•  Ted Sagar has chosen a medal instead of a fee for his services in the England-Scotland match.


EVERTON 5 PRESTON NORTH END 0 (Game 1562 over-all)-(Div 1 1520)

May 4, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Bell's Craft

Everton's Grand Finale.

Preston Fail To Make Impression.

By Bee.”

Everton's final victory was a thing of substantial character and had much football quality. They beat Preston North End 5-0, and the margin was not a bit too severe, because Holdcroft, the former Everton goalkeeper was in anything but international form and was lucky to escape with so small a margin. Holdcroft had greatest trouble in making his daring run out and pat-away saves. Indeed Preston at half-back and in goal were a mixed lot, and forwards like the O'Donnell and Maxwell, never really got into their stride. It had been hoped Dean would play. He was thought to be certain to play by Monday, but days passed and his broken shoulder bone could not be healed in time to give him a chance of appearing and taking a goal to equal the record figure obtained by Steve Bloomer, the Derby county star. Bloomer was present to look on and had Dean at his side. Both were appreciative of the way Bell, the Tranmere boy, played. He scored two goals, and the manner in which he made and completed the goal was sufficient evidence of his sang-friod and his football craft. Like Dean he is a good header, and all round his display gave the Goodison Park spectators to the number of 25,000 plenty to enthuse about because so many have been called up to be Dean's successor and all have passed away in quick time.

A Natural Successor.

Here is a natural successor from the same club, and a local like Dean. Therefore it would be most fitting if he filled Dean's shoes in due course. Leyfield was also a goal-getter –two as in the case of Bell –and the spirited way in which this sprightly young man goes through with the ball “attached” to hi toe showed the Chester boy has gained rather than lost some of his art –the art he showed before Geldard took over the berth and held it tight. Britton made the score five through a penalty kick grant by Referee Williams, of Bolton. Now, in most cases, the spot kick produces a definite endeavour to shoot anywhere, and goalkeepers are lucky to get a hand to the ball. Holdcroft must have expected this kind of shot, whereas Britton coolly placed the ball to the corner of the net to shock the goalkeeper and surprise, in a pleasant manner, the spectators. Allowing for Preston's poor form –it had no comparison with the display they gave –when they knocked Everton out of the Cup and in the drawn game at Preston –one has to say Everton played quick and clever football; the lf wing was not so prominent as the right yet Gillick continued to how improved form and shots of considerable weight.

White's Innings As captain.

I think Sagar turned the game by a masterly save he made early on –for an hour afterwards Preston were too shy to test him whereas. Holdcroft was having a battering time, and was rarely connecting with the light ball. White captain for the day, had his customary good innings of attack and defence, whereas Tremelling took on Bell and kept at that task; and it was beyond him, thanks to Bell's intuition and good positioning and heading. The O'Donnells were in good mood for challenging, and the backs, Jones and Jackson, kept the work from Sagar with a degree of ease. It would have been a truly great wind up if the Preston wing half-backs had not been at their worst; their failure seemed to lead the whole side off its normal game. However, Everton would up on a splendid note of enthusiasm and goals. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Jones, backs; Britton, White (captain), and Mercer, half-backs; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards. Preston North End: - Holdcroft, goal; Gallimore, and Lowe, backs; Shankey, Tremelling and Milne, half-backs; Dougal, Beresford, Maxwell, O'Donnell (F.), O'Donnell (H.), forwards. Referee Mr. Williams, Bolton.



County Combination.

At Earlestown. Cuff scored first for Everton, and Farrelly equalised from a penalty. In the second half Cuff put Everton ahead. Swift, Earlestown inside left had to leave the field through injury. Hilton equalised, and later put Earlestown ahead, Everton scored from a penalty through Lindley.

Derby County Reserves 5 Everton Reserves 0

Central League (Game 42)

No match report.



May 4, 1936.The Liverpool Echo.

Dean May Not Be A Tourist This Year

Bee's Notes.

Everton's finale was of a good quality. Preston did not make much of a response after Sagar had made his one grand save, but Everton could do no more than win by the handsome margin of 5-0. Up in the top of the stand Dixie Dean sheltered Steve Bloomer, who had been brought to this match through my instrumentality, to see the man who is going to beat his goal record –it will be done in due course next season. I thought it would be a change for Bloomer who has been unwell in recent weeks and had suffered the loss of his wife after a very short illness. Steve, still the same palled complexion. stands well and looks well till one hears his cigarette cough. He takes a deep interest in football and is still on the Derby County staff books. He reckoned Everton played with nice judgement and skill, and considering the dry ground and light ball, and the end of the season, they gave a brilliant display. In the old days of Test mtches and end of season games, and Steve, we used to just amble through them with no though of the spectators payments. True, it is to say, he added, that present day fixtures crush the programme and anything in April and May might be a tiresome exhibition to watch, but today the bonus of £2 a win keeps the game alive to the last day of the season. He thought Cunliffe a man with a future, Leyfield exceptionally fast and convincing without touching the Crook's standard, and Preston a big disappointment after what we had all read and seen of them in previously days. So readers we close the football book shutting up the shutters for a few months.



April 4, 1936. The Evening Express.

AWAY Performances Spoil Good Record.

By The Pilot.

Everton won the Merseyside race or the highest position in the First Division by beating Preston North End in great fashion at Goodison Park on Saturday, by 5-0, while Liverpool were losing 2-1, at Stoke. This result means that Everton finish in the 16 th position –as compared with the 8 th position last season –and Liverpool finished in the 19 th position- as against seventh last term. Everton secured 39 points and Liverpool 38. Everton have the better goal average. A remarkable thing about Everton's record is that they scored 89 goals and the only club in the league to score more were the champions, Sunderland. The story of the failure of the two clubs occupy good positions may be attributed to poor form away from home. Between them they won only three matches –Liverpool at Arsenal, and Brentford, and Everton t Grimsby. Everton were much too good for Preston, and won as they pleased. In no department were the Deepdale men to be compared with the Blues, who scored through Bell (2), Leyfield (2), and Britton (Penalty). Bell proved himself a good Everton leader, and others to shine were Jackson, White, Britton, Leyfield, and Stevenson.



May 9, 1936. The Liverpool Football Echo

By Louis T. Kelly.

•  Bloomer's last visit to Goodison as a player was made with Derby County in 1913. The Derby centre half that day was one F.C. Buckley, now known as Major Buckley, the Wolverhampton manager. Everton romped home 5-0. Bloomer only twice appeared in the Derby County side after that match, which was played the week that saw Tommy Browell transferred to Manchester City

•  The ex-Everton pair Holdcroft and Lowe, have gone through their third season without a break.

•  Everton got through their League programme with 23 players, Liverpool 28.

•  Everton Cunliffe finished eighth in the League's goal-getters race. Div 1.

•  In the four divisions there were in all nearly 400 penalty kicks offences.



May 9, 1936.

Ted Sagar and Jimmy Cunliffe both played against Belgium, losing 3-2, Sagar also played against Austria, losing 3-0.



May 9, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Everton F.C. Players' Graphic Story

All In Twenty Minutes.

Boats Out In A Flash.

26 Men Saved.

Prompt Work Of The New York' Crew.

“Not Much To Spare”

Everton footballer's today told dramatic stories of the speedy rescue of the crew of the Dutch steamer Alpard, after she had been in collision with the liner New York, on which the players were travelling to Germany. From the time of the collision until the Dutch steamer disappeared beneath the surface only twenty minutes elapsed and, as one of the players remarked. “There was not much time to spare. Everyone was impressed by the coolness and swift action of the crew of the New York.

“A Heavy Tremor.”

From a Special Correspondent, Hamburg, Saturday.

A graphic story of a collision at sea, and the sinking of a Dutch steamer, was told by members of the Everton football team to the Echo on their arrival in Hamburg, this morning. They had been considerably delayed in reaching the part by the collision which took place north of Oostende on Thursday night between their vessel, the Hamburg-Ameika liner, New York and the Dutch steamer Alphard. A Liverpool Echo representative boarded the ship when it docked, and found three members of the team, C. Leyfield, A.E Jones, and J.O. King breakfasting and asked them their impression of the adventure.

Going For A dance.

It was about 9.50p.m. They said, and we had just gone down to the ballroom for a dance when a heavy tremor ran through the ship. Everybody stopped still for a moment, and we felt the ship listing under our feet. “Then everything was quiet again. None of us on board, by the way, had any feeling of danger, although we realised that something serious might have happened. “We hurried up on deck, and when we got there we found a small steamer lying dead ahead with a list of about 43 degrees on her. Fortunately, the sea was clam or the rescue might not have been as successful. “in the flash the New York put boats out, including one motor lifeboat, and started taking the crew of the Dutch vessel –we found that it was named Alphard –off.

Ship Disappeared.

“The ship was actually so close that eight members of its crew climbed up ladders to the deck of the New York by means of rope ladders. The remaining eighteen members of the crew were brought to the New York by the life boats. “There had not been much time to spare, for the Dutch ship then disappeared below the surface of the sea very rapidly. The whole thing had only taken 20 minutes from start to finish. Asked whether they had been shaken or upset in and way by the collision they replied “We feel fine and very happy at the prospect of our first match on German soil.”

Managers Tribute.

The manager of the team, Mr. Ernest Green, nodded confirmation of this, and added he had been very impressed by the way in which the crew of the New York “jumped to it.” “We were all impressed by their coolness and by their last action. None of us have been disturbed in the slightest and we will play today as planed as if nothing had taken place. “You can tell that to our friends and readers of the Liverpool Echo. The sum of 700 marks (about £60) was collected by the New York passengers for the Alphard crew.

England –Belgium soccer

Cunliffe and Sagar to Play at Brussels, Heysel ground.



May 11, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Bell Gets Two Of The Three Goals.

Hamburg, Saturday.

Everton F.C. opened their tour of Germany with a victory by 3-0 over a strong German team which included several of Germany's crack players. The match attracted about 25,000 to the Vikktoria Ground. All seats were sold some days ago, and crowds came from all parts of North Germany and gave the British team a rousing cheer. Everton fully deserved their victory. They were tactically and physically superior to their opponents, and gave a fine display of football their passing beening very accurate. The German attack was not very impressive. The ground was in splendid conditions, and the Everton men showed their appreciation by going off in fine style and giving the opposing defenders a strenuous time. Only seven minutes had elapsed when White opened the score with a header.

Bell's Fine Goal.

Three minutes later Bell followed suit, also bating the German goalkeeper with a fine header. The German's fought back strongly after this and forced five corners in succession, but they could not find the net before half-time. Although the Germans managed to hold out until 10 minutes before the end, when Bell notched a third goal for Everton, they were always fighting against odds. Fine combination by the Everton forwards frequently had the defenders running the wrong way. Bell and Leyfield were outstanding in attack, while King was a fine display in goal. Teams: - Everton: - King, goal; Jackson, Jones, backs; Britton, Gee, and Mercer, half-backs; Leyfield, White (captain), Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards. Germany: - Kath, goal; Bender, and Tiefel, backs; Bernard, Rope, Kitzinger, half-backs; Malecki, Kurke, Garchel, Becher, and Simetsreiter, forwards.

Belgium v England

England lose 3-2 to Belgium, in front of 30,000 spectators, Sagar and Cunliffe playing for England.



May 11, 1936. The Evening Express.

Blues' Brilliance Against German Olympic Team.

By The Pilot.

Everton have helped to revive British soccer prestige on the Continent. They began their tour of Germany in brilliant style by beating the German International Olympic team at Hamburg by 3-0. The Blues gave a splendid exhibition of polished football, and their forward work was as good as anything ever seen in Hamburg. Everton had White at inside right and Gee at centre half, and the whole side played with enthusiasm and understanding. The 25,000 spectators cheered them at the finish. The Germans were sound in defence, but lacked Everton's skill in approach. White and Bell applied “that Dixie touch” to ensure victory. White opened the score, which Bell increased before the interval. Bell added a third later. All the goals were scored from headers. Everton's next match is against an international eleven t Duisburg on Wednesday.



May 11, 1936. The Evening Express.

By First Base.

Billy Dean, Everton famous international forward, is to play baseball this season. He has signed for Caledonian, members of the Liverpool National Association League, and starts training as soon as his shoulder injury as recovered. Dean with his powerful frame is clearly built for a pitcher.



May 11, 1936. The Liverpool Echo.

Bee's Notes.

Ted Sagar, the Everton goalkeeper, who kept such a good goal in Vienna has supplied the Echo with the following personal note. –Dear Bee. – Just a few lines from Old Vienna. It was a long journey by train and we were all glad when we arrived, although we had plenty of fun. The boys are a jolly lot, and Jim' Cunliffe and myself have enjoyed it very much. We had to sleep on the train the first night, but we did not mind as we all felt like it. The next day was all travel in the train, so we all got playing cards, and I was one of the unlucky ones! We landed in Vienna at half-past eight, and what a reception the people gave us! The hand was out, as well as two or three thousands people. It shows that English football must be very popular here. The hotel we are staying at is very comfortable, so we are all O.K. George Camsell stood in the street for some Movietone, News, and in five minutes the street was full of people and a few motor car jams. We went sight-seeing today, and believe me, the country is lovely. We went to some cafe 1,200 feet above sea level; you could see the famous River Dannibe below and the city of Vienna; it looked a picture. We talk about our Wembley Stadium, but the stadium is easily as good, if not better. The turf is in good condition and quite a change from our playing fields in England. Before the match the National Anthems were played, and then, before a battery of camera. Prince Starhemburg was presented to the officials and players of both teams. They won the toss, and the referee in green the game which at first was fairly even, with both sides doing a share in attacking. The first real chance came after a combined movement on the right wing that led to a beautiful through-pass by Bowden to Spence. Sindelar's beautiful dribble from the half-way line made a goal to Vieertl. Who scored after 12 minutes. Camsell was tripped in the penalty box, Sindelar pushed through to the right wing, who scored easily after 17 minutes. In the second half Spence passed to Bastin, who shot against the post. From the rebound Camsell headed through. All England now, but had shooting caused us to lose. I will send more later on. Cunliffe and I join Everton in their tour in a week's time.



April 12, 1936. The Liverpool Echo.

Bee's Notes

Warney Cresswell as forecast in the Echo last week, got the managership of Port Vale F.C. Warney taken up his new duties on June 1. Meantime he has been scouting for players likely to be of value to the Potteries club, and he tells me that Kavanagh, the unsigned half back at Everton F.C., is to be his first signing. Warney should do well in his new sphere.



May 12, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Bee's Notes.

Albert Geldard (on board SIS New York) writes: - Most of us have had our baptism of big liner travel. Fortunately for us all the benefit of being in the larger of the colliding vessels, saved any danger of us feeling the dampness of the baptismal waters. But to begin at the beginning. When the tender brought us alongside the magnificent sea home in Southampton Water, we started what turned out to be quite an adventurous trip. The boys were impressed with the splendid arrangement made by the German Football Association for their comfort aboard, and during yesterday they had made full use of the gymnasium, swimming baths, sports deck &c, in their earnestness to do well against the international elevens opposed to them. After dinner most of the party were in the saloon enjoying the music of the ship's orchestra, when there came a severe cluck in the smooth way of the boat. The jar seemed a slight one in its effect on us sitting there, but naturally, knowing that something serious must have occurred, we wasted no time in making for the promenade deck from whence it was possible to see that we were wielded into the midship of a much smaller boat. Our ship had been proceeding at half speed for some hours owing to the banks of fog that we were running into, and from what we learnt afterwards our opponents were also only running at a reduced speed. After a time the ships unlocked from one another, and gradually the Alphard listed over, and finally begin to settle down. As we drifted further away from her two motor boats and one lifeboat were quickly manned and sent away to her assistance. From our decks little could be seen excepting the lights of the doomed boat. Within half an hour three explosions heralded the end of her, and the last thing that we could reduce was that the water had reached the dynamos (which on this boat were on the upper deck), for there was a sudden black-out of the navigating lights. It transpired later that eight of the twenty-seven crew claimed aboard the New York by a rope ladder, whilst the boats were still in contact. The remaining were all able to get safely away before the Alphard sank by means of the lifeboats. The passengers here made a collect for the men who had been unable to save their belongings, and the amount realised was in the region of £60. Well, “Bee.” I know that this has little to do with “Soccer” but the experience was a new one for most and not as unpleasant at it might easily have turned out to be for the Alphard was outward bound for a load of pig-iron, and you can well see that had she been laden there might have been rather more damage done to our ship. As it was, there were two hugh pieces out of our bows, either of them big enough to have driven a motor through. This damage, naturally meant that throughout the night speed was considerably reduced, and instead of our landing at Cuxhaven today, where Dr. Otto Nerz was to officially receive us, we simply slowed down in the river while the Customs men came aboard and carried out the examination of baggage from 9 p.m. onwards as the ship carried on to Hamburg. The extra eighteen hours on board was quite to the liking of the players and officials, and really preferable to the suggested rail journey from Cuzhaven to Hamburg. This meant that we shall not land until 9 a.m. tomorrow, but the match does not start until 5.30 p.m, there is plenty of time for the boys to settle down. Just as I wrote the last sentence I was called to the radiophone and had the new experience of a wireless conversation with our now “old” friend, Otto. He was anxious to know that everything was O.K. and was delighted to know that we were none the worse after the accident. Cunliffe and Sagar are joining us at Duisborg on Monday evening after the Brussels match. By the way, this was the first occasion that the New York had carried a football team, and Captain Warner had a group photograph taken with the full party yesterday afternoon. I hope to keep you posted with any items of interest that crop up during the tour, so leave plenty of space!



April 13, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Warney Cresswell the Everton full back has been appointed manager-coach of Port Vale Football Club, and I understand his first signing will be T.Kavangh, the half-back who was with Everton last season, being secured with Bentham from Wigan Athletic. Cresswell one of the greatest backs in the game played for South Shields, Sunderland, and Everton, and took part in 564 League matches. He gained international and international League honours, and F.A. Cup and League Championship medals.



May 13, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Bee's Notes.

Larkhill A.F.C's secretary writes: - On behalf of amateur football I would like to ventilate a grievance. For the past six or seven years both Everton and Liverpool clubs have been moving about the city taking over the ground of one amateur club after another to house their “A” team. Liverpool F.C, fancied Cadby Hall's ground for their “A” team so Collegiate Old Boys who shared there had to go. They also required the grounds at Coney Green, Pirrie Park and numerous other places. Similarly Everton “A” fancied Marine' ground, so Northern Nomads went. Everton “A” also had a fancy for the season for Townsend-lane, Stopgate-lane, and goodness only knows where they haven't been. Both clubs now decided on new grounds for the 1936-7 season and the probability is that 1937-8 will again find them on the move. The net result of all this is that no amateur club can have any feeling of security. Thanks to Everton F.C, two! Zingari clubs are now without a home –a very serious position to be in, with preparations for next season now in full swing. It is impossible for any amateur club to attempt to complete with our senior professional clubs when it comes to negotiating terms for a ground. The latter clubs talk in “hundreds” where amateurs talk in “tens.” One cannot blame landowners for it is only natural that they should accept the highest offer. But the amateur clubs offers money which has been paid to them by lovers of amateur football, the senior clubs are able to offer money which has been paid by followers of professional football, and which should rightly be expended in that sphere, and not used to damage the unpaid game. For a sum of money which should not exceed that paid by either Liverpool or Everton for one player these clubs could buy and fit a ground of their own use. They could even have one between then and use at alternate weeks, or if they wanted could offer a share to an amateur club, and would soon find a taker. They would then banish for all time the nightmare that haul's amateur clubs in Liverpool (who play on anything like a good ground), the thought that Everton or Liverpool “A” may take fancy to their ground next. Now, “Bee” I know that you are more or less “blooded” to the professional game, but I also know that a “hard lines” story can bring tears to your eyes so I am optimistic enough to thrust that you will air the grievance, and so perhaps influence the local clubs to out the end to their “A”team wandering. If so you will do a great service to amateur clubs. With grateful thanks for the favours which you have from time to time bestowed on the club in particular and amateur football in general.

Mr. Hughe's story speaks for itself. I am sure neither senior clubs has ever dreamed of harming local amateur clubs and their action with loans of the ground, grits &c, proves they are concerned in giving all aid they can do amateur football. I feel sure Mr. Hughes's striking letter will be discussed by the two boards concerned. I think this city has been very lax in not producing what I helped to formulate in Birmingham all too many years ago –playing fields for the boys of the future. This should have been done at a cheap price twenty years ago; this I three times begged, the public-spirited people to start such a move, and nothing was done. The result is housing is spreading over Liverpool Football Fields, and in a few years there will be no room for the local boys to play their games. I think Mr. Hughes touches his best note when he suggests that Everton and Liverpool could buy a ground in or around the city and share it between them. Happy thought –and a nice way out of the amateur clubs' trouble and fear.



May 14, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Lose By 4-1 To National Side.

Sagar's Great Display.

Berlin, Wednesday.

Everton F. C. Were beaten by a German national team by four goals to one at Duisburg today, after leading at the interval by 1-0. Britton, the Everton half-back, scored his side's only goal from a penalty after twenty-seven minutes. Everton played a vigorous game, Bell was outstanding in their attack and showed a complete understanding with two wingmen, Leyfield and Gillick. The home side was composed of players from Western Germany and were a much stronger team than that beaten by Everton at Hamburg.

Sagar's Fine Work.

Everton would have been beaten by a much larger margin but for a great display by Sagar. Lenz and Hohmann, the German inside forwards were the driving force behind the German attack, and enhanced their prospects of representing Germany at the Olympic Games, as the players for these latter contests will be selected on the form shown by them in the matches against Everton. About 23,000 spectators watched the game, which was fairly even during the first half. There was a dispute over the German's equalising goal scored after a quarter of an hour in the second half, Lenz drove the ball hard towards goal, and it struck underneath the bar and then bounced down on to the goal line. The Referee awarded a goal despite protests by the Everton players.

A Brilliant Effort.

The home side's second goal was the result of a brilliant individual effort by Hohmann, who worked his way through cleverly. Sagar who worked his way through cleverly. Sagar came out in an effort to prevent a score and threw himself down at Hohmann's feet. The German, however, pulled the ball to one side and lifted it to Lenz, who headed into the net. Towards the end Everton were kept on the defensive and only some brilliant goalkeepering by Sagar kept the score down. In the last six minutes, however, the Germans netted twice, Simtseiter, scoring the third and Gauchel the fourth. Gauchel's goal was obtained in the last minute with a drive about 40 yards. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Mercer, backs; Britton, White, and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards. Germany: - Bucloh, goal; Muenzenberg, and Klaas, backs; Mebl, Sold, and Ziellinski, half-backs; Paul, Hohmann, Gauchel, Lenz, and Simtsreiter, forwards.



April 14, 1936. The Evening Express.

A disputed goal turned the tide against Everton in their match against an international side composed of players from the Western area –a stronger combination than that which the Blues defeated at Hamburg. Britton scored for Everton from a penalty in the first half, and in an hour Lenz drove in a terrific shot against the crossbar. The ball rebound to the ground and the referee immediately awarded a goal despite Everton protests. The Blues' defence was given a gruelling after this and Hohmann dribbled through, drew Sagar and passed over for Lenz to head into the net. In the closing minutes Simtskeiter and Gauchel increased Germany's lead. The outstanding player in the game was Sagar, Everton's international goalkeeper. The 23,000 spectators gave him a wonderful reception for his grand work. Had it not been for Sagar the score against Everton might have been greater. Bell as a live-wire at centre-forward and Leyfield and Gillick did well on the wings. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Mercer, backs; Britton, White, and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards.



May 14, 1936, The Liverpool Echo.

Everton were the only losers among the five English touring teams who played matches on the continent last night. Everton after leading 1-0 t half-time, went down to German national side by 4-1 at Duisburg. Liverpool gained a notable success at Prague, defeating a strong combined side from the Sparta and Slavia clubs. Who supply the majority of the international players by 4-2. Chelsea opened their tour of Sweden with a smashing 6-0 win over the A.I.K club. Brentford beat Benfica F.C., champions of Portugal by 5-0, at Lisbon and West Ham United defeated the Swiss international team by 1-0 at Zurich. Everton played a vigorous game. Bell was outstanding in their attack and showed a complete understanding with his two wingmen, Leyfield and Gillick. The home side was composed of players from Western Germany, and were a much stronger team than that beaten by Everton at Hamburg. Everton have been beaten by a much larger margin but for a great display by Sagar Lenz and Hohmann, the German inside forwards, were the driving force behind the German attack and enhanced their prospects of representing Germany at the Olympic games, as the players for these latter contests will be selected on the form shown by them in the matches against Everton. About 23,000 spectators watched the game, which was fairly even during the first half. Britton scored first for Everton from a penalty 27 minutes. There was a dispute over German's equalising goal scored after a quarter of an hour in the second half, Lenz drove the ball hard towards goal, and it struck underneath the bar and then bounced down on the goal-line. The referee awarded a goal despite protests by the Everton players. The home side's second goal was the result of a brilliant individual effort by Hohmann, who worked his way through cleverly, Sagar came out in to prevent a score and threw himself down at Hohmann's feet. The German, however, pulled the ball to one side and lifted it to lenz who headed into the net. Towards the end Everton were kept on the defensive and only some brilliants goalkeeping by Sagar kept the score down. In the last six minutes, however, the German's netted twice. Simtareiter scoring the third and Gauchel the fourth. Guchels goal was obtained in the last minute with a drive from about 40 yards. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Mercer, backs; Britton, White, and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards. Germany: - Bucloh, goal; Muenzenberg, and Klaas, backs; Mebl, Sold, and Ziellinski, half-backs; Paul, Hohmann, Gauchel, Lenz, and Simtsreiter, forwards.



May 18, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Everton Win In Germany.

Special Telegrams, Frankfort-on-Main, Saturday.

Everton beat a German national side by 3-1, in a soccer match here today. At half-time Everton led 1-0. This was the third match played by Everton in Germany. They won at Hamburg by 3-0, and last Wednesday lost to a Germany side by 4-1 at Duisburg. Three changes were made from the side which lost at Duisberg. Jones came in for Mercer at left back, Mercer moved to left half in place of Thomson and Geldard took Leyfield place on the right wing. The English players once more delighted the spectators with their fine combination movements. But for the German goalkeeper's vigilance the score in Everton's favour might have been considerably more. Play at times became rather vigous, and just before the end, Geldard the Everton winger had to leave the field. He limped slightly from the beginning, and towards the end of the match his foot seemed to be causing him serious trouble. The German side was also weakened by the injury to their outside left, Simtareiter, who fell heavily during the first half and sprained his shoulders. The match was watched by about 12,000 spectators many of whom were British people resident here. The weather was warm and the ground rather firm. After Simtareiter's departure Everton went ahead through Gillick, the ball being deflected out of reach of the goalkeeper by Tiefel, the German back. Everton established their superiority during the second half and 27 minutes after the resumption Cunliffe scored their second goal, this followed a sustained Everton attack, and the third goal came 2 minutes later. Gillick netting. With 2 minutes to go Gauchel, the German centre forward, scored his side's only goal from a penalty. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Jones, backs; Britton, White (Captain), and Mercer, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson and Gillick, forwards. German: - Juerussen, goal; Ditgens, and Tiefel, backs; Gramlact, Sold, and Mohl, half-backs; Paul, Lenz, Gauchel, Becher, and Simetsreiter, forwards.



May 18, 1936. The Evening Express.

Everton gave a brilliant exhibition of football at Frankfurt when they defeated the German international side 3-1. This was the third match of their tour and they have now won two and lose one. Gillick gave Everton the lead in the first half, and later Cunliffe and Gillick added further goals. Germany scored from a penalty through Gauchel two minutes from time. Everton's combination and individual brilliance thrilled a big crowd.



May 19, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Bee's Notes.

From Wiesbaden comes the following letter from the Everton secretary Mr. Theo Kelly –rather a nasty blow to have a match in which you play so well, yet find yourself beaten by 4 goals to 1. It was a remarkable turn-round due largely to a gross mistake by the referee, when the score was 1-0 in our favour. This was in the match on Wednesday t Duisborg, and as we were on the journey here all through yesterday this is the first chance I have had of giving you ome details. We began the game before about 20,000 people on a beautiful Wembley like turf, and our boys settled down right away to give one of the finest exhibitions of football ever seen here. They simply dazzled the players and spectators with their skill, and calmly passed and re-passed until at times the crowd roared their appreciation of the wonderful team work, for all this Buckloh was only beaten during the first half by a penalty taken by Britton. He made many fine saves, as did Sagar, when called upon. In fact the best goalkeeping of the match was by Sagar in the first half. As the second half progressed there seemed little danger of defeat with the score till 1-0 for us. Yet our forwards could not quite find their shooting form, and then came the incident which turned the match. With the referee at least thirty yards from goal. Lenz shot hard to Sagar's right, the ball hit one post, rebounded on to the other, and came into play where it was cleared. Immediately a goal was given! Three minutes later we were behind, and it was again doubtful, but when the third, bad goal in succession was given there was no through of time to even equalise, and right on the end, Gauchel scored the best goal of the match with a first timer after a clearance had been made. The press writers continue Mr. Kelly have been unanimous in their opinion –all favourable to us, and the largest sporting paper stated that we played even better then at Hamburg. As an example of the sort of eulogy that we are getting cartoonist represented two Everton players on the field (and no one else), heading the ball one to another with the following suggested conversation; “What so you say Jack, if we have a look to see what the Germans are doing!” This was after the Hamburg game, and after the Duisburg match one of the headlines was “eleven artists.” Our teams were:-

At Hamburg:- King; Jackson, Jones; Britton, Gee, Mercer; Leyfield, White, Bell, Stevenson, Gillick

(Bell headed the three goals)

At Duisborg:-Sagar; Jackson, Mercer; Britton, White, Thomson; Leyfield, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, Gillick.

Otto Nerz has been the life and soul of the officials group, and when we were consoling each other after the second half, that the goal against did not exceed the aggregate of goals for he chipped on to say that he “Would make arrangements to keep down the rate of exchanges!” one of his wise-isms is repeatedly borne out in fact vis; “With the best we are satisfied” his jiujutsu tricks have been freely applied much to the discomfiture of those nearest to him, and he has certainly become entitled to the name of “Peter Pan.” The players have had a very good time, and they are all perfectly fit. As usual fun is topside during the spare time and Gillick has been re-named as the foreign secretary. This arose because he happened to be seen carrying a large parcel in book form under his arm, and this was declared to be the Locarno Pact' Charlie Gee has been presented with a model lifeboat for future possible usefulness, Geldard and Leyfield with suitable gifts –and the whole of the work attached to the presentation was done by a syndicate of which Charlie and Jack Archer were joint chairmen, can you imagine Archer smoking pipe? Contrary to expectations. Stevenson has behaved fairly well, although he is liable to “break out.”



May 21, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Bee's Notes.

Mr. J. J. Scarisbrick writes regarding senior clubs ousting our local amateurs – am writing to ask you would you mind correcting our friends from Larkhill, because in his letter to you referring to Liverpool's and Everton's “A” teams changing grounds, at different seasons he remarked about Everton “A” sharing Marine's ground, and that Northern Nomads had to look for a new ground. May I reminded our friend from Larkhill that Marine never shared their ground with any club until Everton “A” commenced a few seasons go. So Everton never sent Northern Nomads scouting for a new ground, as far as Marine are concerned.



May 22, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Cunliffe Gets Two Goals.

Berlin, Thursday –about 25,000 spectators saw a German national side defeat Everton by 4 goals to 2 at the Adolf Hitler Stadium this evening. Everton set the pace at the start, but although attacking hotly were unable to pierce the strong defence. The Germans opened up the scoring after half an hour, when Jakob passed to Fath, the outside left, who netted. Fath, always source of danger, increased his side's lead 3 minutes later following some clever work between himself, Elbern, and Eckert. A third goal followed shortly before half-time, Elbern rounding off a fine movement. Everton went off in fine style after the interval, and within 2 minutes Cunliffe had reduced the lead. The position remained unchanged until 15 minutes from the end, when Elbert converted another fine pass by Fath, to give the Germans a 4-1 lead. Seven minutes before the finish Cunliffe again scored for Everton, who were beaten by a better team. Among the spectators were Herr Murr, the governor of Wurtembry, and Mr. Smith the British consul at Stuttart.



May 22, 1936. The Liverpool Echo.

Bee' Notes.

Mr. Theo Kelly, of Everton F.C., writes from Heidelberg –Dear Bee, -Before telling you about the game at Frankfurt let me just say that today (the 18 th ) I Gillick's birthday, and to celebrate, the event we had quite a ceremony at lunch. The “Syndicated” was in full house. Mr. John W. Archer introduced his joint chairman, Mr. Charlie W. Gee, to the full company of officials of the German Association and ourselves, and Mr. Gee made quite an apt toast to the 20 year winger. In the address Mr. Gee referred to the honoured guest and stated that he understood that the directors of the Everton F.C had not been quite satisfied in their own minds with the affirmed age, and having made inquiry at Somerset House, now found that he was nearer 30 than 20 (bud and surprised exclamations). He, however, was very pleased to think that Mr. Gillick was a member of the syndicate, and, as such, he had found him a ready and willing helper in the cause of “Laughter for Loiterers” Mr. Archer seconded the toast, and Mr. Gillick, on rising to respond (only the assistance of Mr. White, better known as “Porky,” created the rising), made the sweetest of short speeches in reply. He seemed to be overcome by the spontaneous greeting he received. Going back to the third game at Frankfurt one must say that the players gave another marvellous exhibition, and although Germany finished with nine men, they were beaten long before the finish. The score might quite easily have run to double figures, but as it turned out it was as well that it stopped where it did for the 10,000 spectators were not satisfied when they found that substitutes were not allowed. Only after an announcement was made that the teams had mutually agreed to “no substitutes” were they appeased. Gillick got two of the goals and Cunliffe sandwiched one in between. Germany scored from a penalty in the last two minutes after Sagar saved the first kick. The referee Mr. Best of Hocist was reputed to be the “best” in German football. The weather is too glorious hot, but our boys are training and playing with the utmost vigour. What a press they are getting. Things have altered for the better since we were here last. Just all for the present, Everybody is very fit and well, except that Geldard pulled a muscle during the first few minutes of the last game, when he appeared to be for a field day. By the way, our team was; Sagar; Jackson, Jones; Britton, White, Mercer; Geldard, Cunliffe, Bell, Stevenson, and Gillick. Jones had his boots re-studded on the touchline in the second half (quite unique) and the outstanding successes were Gillick, Stevenson, White, Mercer, and Jackson. Sagar had nothing to do. Cheerio.



May 23, 1936, The Liverpool Football Echo

By Louis T. Kelly.

•  In the last two and a quarter years, Everton have registered only three away wins. How unlikely the Everton of 1931-32, when they picked up 20 away points.

•  Popular Tommy White has completed his most successful season with Everton thanks chiefly to being kept almost throughout in one position.



May 25, 1936. The Liverpool Daily Post

Draw With German Eleven.

Special Telegrams. Nuremberg, Sunday.

Playing the last match of their tour in the Stadium here today, Everton held a German eleven to a 1-1 draw. At half-time there was no score. Leyfield scored Everton's goal direct from a corner kick. Everton displayed the technique, but played a rather vigorous game and during the first twenty minutes were vastly superior. Twenty thousand spectators saw the match. The German goalkeeper, Jacob, and the full backs had a busy time and were often in danger. The German attack improved and in turn the British backs were kept busy. Mehl, the German right half took a penalty kick, but sent the ball against the bar. The ball appeared to drop into the goal, but the referee gave a goal kick, and half-time came without a goal being scored. After 28 minutes in the second half Gussner, outside right, broke through and in a melee in front of goal, one of the Everton backs touched the ball, and Gauchel, inside left, scored from the resultant penalty kick. Three minutes later Leyfield equalised direct from a corner kick, Munkerg, left back interfering with the goalkeeper as the ball came into the goalmouth. Everton made every effort to score the winner, but Jacob was not to be beaten. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson, and Jones, backs; Britton, Gee, and Mercer, half-backs; Leyfield, Cunliffe, White (captain), Stevenson, and Gillick, forwards.



May 25, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Bee's Notes.

Everton concluded their German tour at Nuremberg yesterday, when they shared two goals with a German eleven. Everton were vastly superior in the first half, displaying fine combination, and the German defence had a hot time. The German side had improved to such an extent that the Everton defence was hard pressed to hold their opponents at bay. Twenty-eight minutes after the resumption a hot melee took place in front of the Everton goal, and one of the Everton defenders handled the ball, Gauchel scoring from the penalty spot. Three minutes later Leyfield scored direct from a corner kick. Everton tried hard to obtained a winning goal, but the German defence held out to the end. Twenty thousand people witnessed the match.



May 26, 1936. The Liverpool Echo.

Jock Thomson Records.

Bee's Notes.

Mr. Theo Kelly with the Everton team in Germany writes from Nuremberg; Here we are after four years absence. It only seems like yesterday since we were in the hotel. The weather has broken down at last and while writing it is raining heavily. Yesterday's gate at Stuggart looked like being ruined, for we had very heavy rain with overcast skies in the morning. Possibly this eventually improved the attendance for ascension day being a public holiday, there must have many who might have gone further afield than the stadium, if the weather had been good. How often you find this so at home on a bank holiday. There must have been 30,000 spectators at the start, and they were treated to another great exhibition by the teams, in the case Germany just about meriting a win. They passed and repassed rapidly and with precision, and it was no wonder that they had a lead of 3 goals at the interval. With the strong wind in our favour we had much of the second half and Cunliffe soon got a beauty from a long pass forward by Jackson. This was neutralised when White in passing back to Sagar, played the ball short and found the German outside left an easy opening. Back to the fight again, and a bombardment of the German goal was greeted with shouts from the very porting Stuggart crowd. It was really wonderful that their goal should escape. Rounds, Woodwork, by the international Jacob (who played at Tottenham against England) all conspired to deny us a reasonable chance of a draw. Near the finish Cunliffe got a second goal from close in, and the whistle blew leaving Germany winners by 4 goals to 2. The position now is that we have each won two, with goals for and against 9, Bell and Cunliffe have scored three, Gillick 2, and Britton one. Otto Nerz is very satisfied with the results, and as his team gets stronger each match –he brings in his most likely Olympians players –you can well see that the last game on Sunday at Nuremberg will be a real snorter. Jack Thomson had the novel, experience of speaking from radio Stuggart yesterday. After making the record which was broadcast at 7-40 p.m., when a repeat of the running commentary on the match was given, he heard it over before leaving the studio. His remark on hearing his own voice from the record when it was tested was “I started like Ramsey MacDonald and finished like Harry Lauder.” In the evening dinner was not quite over when 7-40 arrived, but the remainder of the meal was forgotten in the interest to hear the radio in the hotel manager's room. It was quite a sight to see the boys (dead quite for the first time on the tour) crowded around the set chairs, tables and floors of the little room were fully occupied and after the final message to our friends in England was heard, it was agreed that the offer of radio Stuggart management to give us this facility, was a great idea, and typical of the many kindnesses that have showered on the English tourists.



May 28, 1936. The Evening Express.

New Candidates For Election.

By The Pilot. The annual balance-sheet of Everton Football Club will probably be issued next week, and it will be found that two shareholders have been nominated for seats on the directorate. The three retiring directors, who offer themselves for re-election for the next three years, are Messrs W.C. Cuff (chairman), A. Coffey, chairman of the Finance Committee), and Jack Sharp, but there is another vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Alfred Wade. I understand that Mr. R. Williams, and Mr. F. Lake have been nominated. Mr. Williams has been a member of Everton shareholders for many years. He is a coal-merchant in Liverpool and is well-known in sporting circles. He is a member of Olympic Bowling Club. Mr. Lake, who lives in Great Crosby is in insurance, and for many years had been connected with Marine Football Club. It was in 1930 that Mr. Lake last sought election to the Board. He was nominated with Mr. C. Wright. By a coincidence, the same three retiring directors were then seeking re-election. They succeeded, for the voting resulted; Mr. W. C. Cuff, 384; Mr. A. Coffey, 371; Mr. J. Sharp 363; Mr. F. W. Lake, 191; Mr. C. Wright, 166. I hear that there is a possibility of the shareholders of the cub asking permission to nominate a candidate from the floor at the annual meeting. This suggestion is being considered. It is expected that the annual meeting will take place during the week ending June 13.



May 28, 1936. The Liverpool Echo

Everton All Over

The playing side of the Everton tour has now ended, and really I think the boys are to be complimented for the eulogies that they have earned and received, writes Mr. Theo Kelly from Germany on Monday. To finish “all squared” against the Germany's best is a feat of no means value. Consider that the Germanys were playing for their place in the national team at Olympics and you will see that the matches were test matches of the sternest kind. As we know the game, their methods are unorthodox, and rather machine like. Seldom do you see the cleverness of any individual. They play as a team, which is a good fault in many ways, but yet takes the spice of “stardom,” out of their teams. With the ball in possession of any one of their men, the others immediately run into the open space to received the expected pass. As soon as a defender goes out to meet any man with the ball on goes the ball to the next man, and so this goes on until an error of judgement beings the passing bout to an end. Throughout Germany all of the coaches appears to be teaching the self same methods and the result is a uniformity of style that makes for machine like precision that rather tends to monotony. However, we proved our worth I think and there is not the slightest doubt that the German players have appreciated the skill of our side in our general ability. Well you will all know by now that we drew the last game, and finished: - won 2, lost 2; drew 1; goals for 10, against 10. Goals scorers; Bell and Cunliffe 3, Gillick 2, Leyfield and Britton 1. Every player who will be chosen to represent Germany in the Olympic Games at Berlin, in August, has played against our team on this tour. Sagar has come in for some chipping, as the whole of the 10 goals were scored against us while he was in charge of the fort. He is named in the Press here as the wonder goalkeeper, and certain his displaying in the first half of our second match at Duisburg, was enough for anyone to earn such a title. Our many journeys in auto buses here have been enlivened by the music of the Gee party. Many parodies have emanated from the ready wit of those who as you know best, are capable of such atrocities. One arose through the goal scored by Leyfield, which meant a draw after Germany had netted from a very unfair penalty. Officially we would say that Leyfield scored direct from his corner, but after the Leader of the syndicate had made out a good case in the dressing-room a vote was taken, and it was agreed that it was quite possible that Gee had more to do with the scoring of the goal than the spectators thought. Such is the good humour in which the game have been played, and such humour is extremely helpful when touring in a strange country. No matter what the results have been, the players have returned to their various hotels singing many of the popular tunes of their own counties. Even “Steve” has been called on for “A little Dash of Dublin” and no one has shirked the call of duty of the musical side. There can be nothing but praise for the players who have represented the club during a series of matches against the selected men of Germany. We are having the final dinner of the German Football Association tomorrow evening, and I will send you another line following the ceremony. I am enclosing one or two photos which you may be able to use; Cheerio.




May 30, 1936. The Liverpool Echo.

By Louis T. Kelly.

•  Brady's clubs in turn were –Renton, Celtic, Gainsorough Trinity, Newcastle East End, Sunderland, Burnley, Everton and Sheffield Wednesday. So you will see he was rather an outsize in rolling stones.

•  Playing for Manchester C.C. the other day, a feature of the game was the smart fielding of Harry Makepeace, one of sport's wonder-men.



June 23, 1936. Western Morning News

James McCambridge, the Exeter City player and Irish International, who had all but decided to give up his career in English football, has received an unexpected chance in First Division football. McCambridge was placed on the Exeter City transfer list at £250. When he returned to Ireland he was offered terms by Cork City, Larne, and two English Third Division clubs. Arising out of these he went to Exeter to review his position with the City, and ask for a reduction in his transfer fee, when Sheffield Wednesday stepped in with an offer. McCambridge thereupon made hurried tracks to Sheffield, and was signed up. Unknown to him, offers from Tranmere Rovers and Gillingham were lying at his home in County Antrim. McCambridge formerly played for Everton and Cardiff City.











May 1936