Everton Independent Research Data


EVERTON 5 PORTSMOUTH 2 (Game 1645 over-all)-(Div 1 1603)
May 2, 1938, The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton Take It Easy
Vital Victory Over Portsmouth
Stevenson’s Three Goals.
By Stork.
Everton will be performing in the First Division again next season. Their victory over Portsmouth assures them of that. It may be only by a matter of goal average, for they have still to beat Derby County to be sure of a clear-cut margin over their lovely neighbours. They got over Portsmouth with ease, but as against that those clubs ranged alongside then scored away victories, so it is left to the last Saturday of the season to know definitely who will go down. Portsmouth scored two goals against Everton’s five at Goodison Park, but if the Everton defence had not shown a slackness at odd moments they would not have had even that satisfaction, for after the first few minutes Everton took complete charges, and only handled it over to their opponents when they eased up. Portsmouth’s promised to be difficult in the opening minutes, but once Everton got to game with Portsmouth’s defence it was plainly to be seem that Walker, Morgan and Rochford were feeling the strain of their position. They made some grave mistakes in front of their own goal, yet were not made to pay dearly for them because Everton were none too certain in front of goal. Let me take the first goal as a sample of their tenderness when facing Walker. Cunliffe was twice well placed and under normal circumstances would have scored but he twice shot straight at Walker, who could only half turn the ball away, so that Stevenson turned the ball into the net; time 15 minutes. Three minutes later Stevenson had scored again.
Clinching The Issue.
Portsmouth’s early sparkle had left them and Everton came along with a further goal, through Boyes, but Parker nipped in through a slow defence and scored a few minutes before the interval. Then ten minutes after in resumption Beattie reduced the arrears so that Everton’s lead had been whittled down to a single goal. The visitors gave the Everton defence some worrying moments, but further goals by Lawton and Stevenson clinched the issue for Everton. It was a sound enough victory, yet the football never reached a great height. The hard ground –dust flew from the turf when the ball bounced on it –affected the game, for many of the players could not control the ball. The Southerners’ defence could have been form asunder had full pressure been brought to bear but Everton played as though they could win when and how their liked. It was the wrong policy in a match of such vital importance. Portsmouth did not play half so well, as I thought they would. Worrall and Parker caused some anxiety to Everton, but if Everton had not eased up I doubt whether Portsmouth would have ever been seen in the game after their flash of the first few minutes. Stevenson, the scorer of three of the goals, was the best forward on the field. He was a worker, all the time, whereas Geldard would persist in delaying his centres instead of getting the ball into the middle first time. It was just an ordinary game, with the points going to the right team, for no one will dispute that Everton were well ahead of Portsmouth in point of attack and finished power. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes forwards. Portsmouth: - Walker, goal; Morgan and Rochford, backs; Guthrie, Rowe and Wharton, half-backs; Worrall, Groves, Beattie, Easson, and Parker, forwards. Referee Mr. Capt, G. Hamilton-Jones (Jones).

May 2, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton and New Brighton players oppose each other at Rake Lane this evening, kick-off 6.45 in a benefit match for the secretary manager of the New Brighton club, Mr. R. J. Sawyer, who has been with the Rake Lane club for five years, and was formerly an Everton director and Hon, secretary of the Goodison club. The selection of the Everton team, it is understood is to be made this afternoon. The New Brighton eleven is Hawthorn; Vaughton, Morris; Wright, Buxton, Fog; Mustard, Woods, Montogomery, Roberts, Foulkes.

May 2, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork.
Everton are secure for next season unless one or two of the teams below them finish off with sensational scoring feats, which is hardly likely. As I suggested long ago, Everton’s goal average would be worth a point to them when the final calculation is made. Portsmouth were a poor side on the day’s showing, and that they got two goals was not due to any brilliance on their part, but to a slackness in the Everton defensive plans. Seven goals in a game usually means that there has been plenty to shout about, but there was little to shout about in this game, which was just a moderate display with Everton undoubtedly the better served in defence and attack. Had Everton taken more than two goals in eighteen minutes it would not have been surprising for after four or five minutes, when Portsmouth promised to test the Everton defence; they felt the weight of those two goals more than a little. Everton made it three, and then became fanciful to the extent of allowing “Pompey” to get a grip of a game which had been well cut of their reach. Two goals gave them a belief in themselves and they had their moments-but they were only moments –for Everton saw before it was too late that their whittled down lead must be widened a single goal was too slender to make them secure. They get to work again, and two further goals put the issue beyond all doubt. I placed Stevenson t the top of the class among the whole ten forwards for he worked tremendously hard apart from his three goals. Greenhalgh was the next in order of going in, but no one stood out in bold relief.

May 2, 1938. The Evening Express.
20 Goals In Month Long Rally
By Watcher.
Everton are safe for another season in First Division circles, saved by a great fighting rally which has earned them ten points from seven games and seen them defeated only once during the month of April. Their 5-2 victory over Portsmouth at Goodison Park gave them a goals aggregate of 20 for last months and at the same time made it certain that even if they go under to Derby County in the season’s last match, next Saturday, their goal average will keep them clear of the bottom two positions. Everton deserved their success over Portsmouth, although not by such a decisive margin. I have seen the Blues play better many times this season. Lawton, whose orphan goal increased his club total to 28, and gave him a great chance of finishing leading scorer in the Football League in his first full season in the First Division, was quieter than usual. He found Rowe, the Pompey pivot, a difficult obstacle. Boyes, who came along with an opportunist type of goal was prominent right through, and his penchant for straying across to the other flank was a source of trouble to Portsmouth’s defenders. Cunliffe paved the way for the first two goals. Stevenson, who scored three was the outstanding man among the home forwards. His cleverness was coupled with shooting of real merit. Tommy Jones did a lot of chasing but he like Geldard, was not in best form. Greenhalgh, the former New Brighton full back was outstanding for his coolness, and judicious clearances. Portsmouth faded after a grand opening. They dallied too much and lacked speed in carrying out their plans.

May 2, 1938. The Evening Express
Five Candidates For Three Vacancies
By Pilot.
There will be at least five candidates in the field for the three vacancies which will occur on the Everton Football Club directorate this year. In addition to Mr. W. R. Williams who has been nominated by the newly formed Shareholders’ Association to go to the vote with the retiring directors –Messrs W.C. Gibbins, G. Evans and R. Turnbull –I understand that another candidate will be put forward. This is Mr. Eric Flynn, who for some years has been a regular followers of Everton. The latest move will mean a split vote. It would come as no surprise to me were a further name proposed to make six aspirants for three vacancies.

May 3, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton Lose Lancashire Cup-Tie
Burnley The Better Side.
Burnley gained a well-deserved victory over Everton in the second round of the Lancashire Senior Cup at Goodison Park last night, the score in favour of the visitors being 2 goals to 1. Everton had only five players on duty who took part in the League match against Portsmouth on Saturday –Sagar, Cook, Cunliffe, Lawton and Boyes, while Burnley had two chances, one positional from the team defeated, by Sheffield Wednesday. Martindale went from right half-back to inside right in place of Miller, while Gardiner, the former Liverpool and Aston Villa player, was at right half. The second league team were the better balanced and smarter side almost throughout for they controlled the lively ball cleverly in a strong wind. Everton were not often dangerous though Cunliffe hit the crossbar in the opening half, and late on Lawton headed against the woodwork. After a blank first half Burnley went ahead through a goal by Martindale 8 minutes after the interval, following a fine run by Brocklebank. Martindale also got Burnley’s second goal with a fine first-time drive after some good passing and then 4 minutes from the end Cunliffe headed Everton’s goal. Burnley was strong all round, whereas Everton were disappointing, particularly in attack. Sound in defence, Burnley had fine half-backs in Johnson and Gardiner, while Brocklebank was a fine header of a capital attack. Cook, gee, Britton, Cunnliffe and Boyes did best for Everton. There were only 1,700 spectators. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook and Fenton, backs; Britton (captain), Gee, Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Cunliffe, Lawton, N. Sharp, and Boyes, forwards. Burnley: - Adams, goal; Robinson and Chester, backs; Gardiner, Johnson and Rayner, half-backs; Storey, Martindale, Brocklebank, Fisher, and Hornby, forwards.

May 3, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton Visit New Brighton
None Goals In Benefit Match
The 1,500 spectators who attended the benefit match for Mr. W. J. Sawyer, the secretary manager of New Brighton A.F.C., at Rake Lane last evening saw a thoroughly enjoyable game, between a strong Everton eleven and the New Brighton League team. The Everton side included Greenhalgh the former New Brighton player, while the New Brighton side contained an ex-Evertonian. Morris in Greenhalgh’ old position at left back. Everton won by 5-4, but the score was of little significance as naturally, neither side took any risks. Nevertheless, there was a deal to entertain, the spectators who were keenly appreciative of the clever and precise moves of Everton, and particularly the deft ball control and tricky runs of Stevenson, the outstanding forward in the game. Geldard also at times showed his paces to advantage and crossed the ball with deadly effect, while Bell, who scored 4 times, was entertaining in the leadership. Buxton and Jones (TG), the respective centre half-backs, were cool and next in their work, while everybody was pleased to see the improvement shown by Greenhalgh.
Neat Movements.
New Brighton also were in the picture with many neat movements. Fogg was always prominent with tackle and distribution, and Montgonery had many keen, yet always friendly duels with Everton’s famous pivot. Morris had a good game against the strong wing, Geldard and Bentham; and Wood and Roberts schemed to good effect. Everton look the lead through Bell in the second minute. Montgomery promptly equalized and 11 minutes later gave New Brighton the lead. Everton soon equalized matters, Bell scoring at the 16th minutes, but Mustard resorted New Brighton’s lead 9 minutes before the interval. The lead was only on sufferance, for straightway Bell leveled the scores again and not a fourth 2 minutes after changing end, Stevenson almost immediately adding a fifth. Everton seemed content with their lead and New Brighton, putting on a spurt, Wood shot their fourth goal as the 67 minute after Morton had gone down to repel the inside right first hot. Teams: - New Brighton; - Hawthorn, goal; Vaughan and Morris, backs; Wright, Buxton, and Fogg half-backs; Mustard, Wood, Montgomery, Roberts, and Foulkes, forwards. Everton: - Morton, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG), and Davies, half-backs; Geldard, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Trentham, forwards.

May 4, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
BY John Peel
For their final league match on Saturday, Everton against Derby County at Goodison Park, will have the same team as that defeat Portsmouth, namely; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes The team against Tranmere Rovers next Wednesday in the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup at Anfield; Morton; Jackson, Cook; Mercer, Edwards, Lindley; Merritt, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Trentham.
Everton “A” Oppose The Rest
Everton “A”, for the third season in succession (which is a record for the Liverpool County Combination), play the Rest of the League at Skelmersdale (3.15) on Saturday, when the Championship Cup will be represented. The League team is; G. Swift (Haydock); W. Wilson (Skelmersdale), S. Crawford (South Liverpool), H.A. Ashurst (Skelmersdale) H. Parry (U.G.B), H. Stephenson (Skelmersdale). A. Appleton (Haydock), A. Ashurst (Skelmersdale), J.Platt (U.G.B), S. Lyon (Cables) C.G. Patterson (South Liverpool), Reserve; Burrows.

May 6,1938. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
It is not imperative that Everton should win their game with Derby County tomorrow, for they are practically safe with 38 points and a goal average which is worth a point, but it would be nice for them to finish off their season in a more respectable position than they hold. To win through by goal average is not very satisfying to the supporters, so let us hope, that Everton will say goodbye to the 1937-8 season with a solid victory. What Grimsby Town did at the Baseball ground surely Everton can do at Goodison Park; so I look to a win and a convincing win into the bargain. At the team has been winning as it has been constituted for the last four games, the directors decided to make no alterations in the side, and, as Derby County are only moderate when playing away Everton will have no excuses should they make a tumble. There has certainly been more punch in the attack in recent weeks, even through last week’s games against Portsmouth was nothing to shut about despite their five goals, and if they will only make up their minds and get straight to business two more points should be theirs.
A Poor Season.
It had been a poor season from a playing point of view, and Everton’s position in the table is causing much worry both inside and outside of the board room. Points have been thrown away here and there, either by poor finishing or slackness in defence. It may seem paradoxical to say poor shooting when a glance at the goals for column will show that they have scored more goals than any other club with the exception of Manchester City. It would seem that the finger points to an unreliable defence. I frankly admit that the defence has been guilty of weakness, but I have seen games thrown away through the forwards failing to take gilt-edged chances. However, I have already spoken about that, but what is of more concern at the moment is what is going to happen at Goodison Park tomorrow. Are Everton going to conclude their season with a flourish, or are they going to finish up dismally with a defeat? I think we shall see a victory and a good one at that for Derby County have been an erratic side this term. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T), Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

May 7, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel.
At the bottom of the table six clubs are on the 36 points mark, with Huddersfield 37 and Everton 38. Everton are at home today to Derby County, and they should win to wind-up the campaign. They have had a troublesome time getting out of difficulties, but they ought to win well today and get completely clear on points. The Kick-off is at 3.15. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T), Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

May 7, 1938. The Evening Express, Football Edition.
Derby Lead, Geldard Levels.
Former “Blues” Foils Everton Victory Bid.
King’s Great Game In Goal.
By Watcher.
A former Evertonians prevented Everton finishing the season on a winning note at Goodison Park, where they drew 1-1 with Derby County. He was King, the Derby County goalkeeper, and the brilliant saves were a feature of the game. Duncan opened the score for Derby shortly after the resumption, but within ninety! Seconds Everton had equalized Geldard being the scorer. Reviewing the events of the season, the club in the official programme, states: - “The whole side is youthful enough and with a modicum of good fortune their extra experience is going to be a big factor in next season’s championship race. …If there are weaknesses –and possibly there are –they well be remedied during the summer.” Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, half-backs; Derby County:- King, goal; Bell and Howe, backs; Nicholas, Bailey and Ward, half-backs; Crooks, Ashley, Travis, Dix and Duncan, forwards. Referee Mr. H.T. McBride (Crewe). Both sides showed clever ball control at the start, but neither goalkeeper was seriously troubled. Derby went neat when Dix hit the foot of the upright with a short grounder, but Everton on good ground, but Boyes turned the ball back over the bar. Sagar merited the applause of the crowd or 17,000 –one of the smallest gates of the season –when he jumped out to catch a swinging shot from Duncan, who had tricked Cook before releasing a shot of power. Cunliffe might have taken an early goal if he had not lost control of the ball when only a few yards out. Shortly afterwards, only a clever save by King kept out a fiercer Lawton drive. Both sides were now shooting in better style, and with the forwards in finely tune, the respectative defences having to do plenty of chasing. Dix tried a long range shot which Sagar was glad to see whiz past the post, and before Everton’s defence could recover, Duncan and Dix were back again, Cook nipping in to spoil a combined effort. Everton had a spell on the attack, which ended with Lawton doing a dribbling effort and then shooting high over.
Derby Danger Man.
Derby were more dangerous in attack and with Dix it was apparent they had a schemer and sharp-shooter who required full-time attention. Many of Everton’s attack were breaking down because of a lack of understanding between some of the home forwards. Stevenson Wandered over the right to assist Geldard in an unsuccessful effort to find a loophole in Derby’s defence; then Lawton ran to the line to square a low ball into King’s waiting hands and Stevenson sent up groans with a bad miss from close in. Everton’s defence had to step lively in dealing with a swift raid initiated by Duncan who dallied but won a contest of wits with Cook. Everton were having plenty of goal-scoring chances, another coming their way when Stevenson had the chance of shooting into an untenanted net; he shot outside. Stevenson came into the limelight directly afterwards when, after Geldard had squared the ball inside, he tapped it along the carpet instead of smashing it into the back of the net from only a few yards out. Thomson proved Everton’s savior in kicking out a dropping header from Travis taken off Nicholas’s well-placed free kick.
Half-Time Everton 0, Derby C 0.
The second half opened in dramatic fashion, two goals being scored within 90 seconds. Derby claimed the first, which was scored by Duncan in the 46th minute, the winger running up to tap the ball into the untenanted net after it had been squared across the goalmouth almost from the foot of the far post by Astley. Everton went straight down, and within a minute and half Geldard had put them on level terms after good work by Lawton, shooting the ball into the net roof while standing only a yard or two outside. Cunliffe might have made it two for the Blues when he found himself unattended with the ball at his toss, but from just behind the penalty spot, he merely leveled the ball into King’s hands. It was a great chance thrown away. Dix made a brilliant run which took him half the length of the field, but although he had both Cook and Sagar guessing, there was no one up to lend him proper assistance. Duncan imitated his example with a fine run and dribble which saw him shoot against the side netting, and when Everton broke away off-side held up Boyes. There was plenty of liveliness at this stage of the game, with both teams trying hard for further goals. Lawton, Everton’s best shooter, put in a “blinder” which King pushed around the post with his finger tips, straining himself in the process. A sponge down and he was back in action immediately. King, who at one time was on Everton’s list, was the final barrier to Lawton when the Everton leader shot hard for goal, King going down to push the ball out for a corner. A moment later King again stood his side in good stead by the masterly way in which he caught a rising shot from Stevenson. Towards the end the referee had occasion to speak to one or two players. Thomson and Travis came under his attention following a goalmouth incident, but the crowd booed Mercer when he charged King while the goalkeeper was struggling to his feet at the end of a late save. Bailey called referee McBride’s attention to some spectators behind the County goal, and the police began to patrol that portion. Final Everton 1, Derby County 1.

May 7, 1938. The Liverpool Football Echo.
Derby County Draw At Goodison
Scene Near End.
By Stork.
A poor game to finish off the season. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, half-backs; Derby County:- King, goal; Bell and Howe, backs; Nicholas, Bailey and Ward, half-backs; Crooks, Ashley, Travis, Dix and Duncan, forwards. Referee Mr. H.T. McBride (Crewe). There was not the crowd present, I thought there would be for this the final game of the season. No doubt the tennis courts, cricket fields, and the bowling greens would supply the answer to the moderate attendance. True, there was nothing at stake for Everton were comparatively safe unless of course there was some sensational scoring on the part of the clubs immediately below them. Derby were set to face the sun, but despite this handicap they almost took a goal in the first minute when Ward picked up a ball just outside the penalty area and let drive with a shot that Sagar only managed to true round the upright. Everton replied with some good football which produced a corner through a shot by Stevenson striking a Derby man. Then Geldard offered his inside forwards a glorious chance after he had run through the Derby defence and put the ball right across the Derby goalmouth, King, the former Everton goalkeeper, having failed to connect with it. The visitors escaped because there was no inside forward handy to accept the grit offering. I liked the work of Ward, a new man to me, for he kept the ball to the ground as did Nicholas, who was wearing a plaster on his head. Dix, almost an Everton player some few seasons ago, is having one of his best seasons, and some of his passes were a joy, and Duncan should have made better use of them than he did. Everton were inclined to be fanciful. Several times excellent ideas of combined play came undone because of their too dainty play. They should have been a goal up ere now for not only was Cunliffe through but designed to pass instead of shooting Boyes, Stevenson’s and Geldard also had their opportunities but they were not punchful enough near goal. This complaint could not be lodged against Lawton, for on the first occasions he got the right ball he made a shot that brought King full length to save. A half save was the finishing of it being left to a co-defender. Crooks, who seems to have been in the game for an age but has lost none of his cunning, once worked his way beyond Thomson and Greenhalgh to make a lob which Sagar took nicely, at the same time averting a charge by Travis. Dix almost took a surprise goal when through a body swerve he got beyond Mercer and while on the run delivered a strong shot which went to close that Sagar thought it necessary to throw himself across his goalmouth, but he need not have bothered for the ball passed wide. Stevenson was inclined to over dribble several times losing possession through doing so. It was a quiet sort of game, yet there were some good points in it, one of them being a back header by Lawton to Stevenson who, however, failed to get his pass across to the desired colleague. The Derby forwards were more dangerous as a line because they would shoot whenever they got in sight of goal whereas Everton wanted to pass and pass again. Stevenson saw the need for a shot and was unfortunate to see one of his big drives blotted out by Bell.
The Magic Sponge
Bailey was guilty of barging into Lawton and when four Derby men lined up to seal their goal from Lawton the ball struck Bell on the head and sent him staggering about the field. His senses must have been muddled for some minutes until Nicholas called upon the trainer to have a look at him and the magic sponge did the rest. When Travis dashed in to charge Sagar he received some words of warning from the Everton goalkeeper, and this brought the spectators to life for the first time. Dix did some grand work in a constructional manner and Crooks aided and abetted him in launching attacks as the Everton goal, but there was still a lack of devil in the play. Lawton tried a long shot but got too much undercut to it so that the ball went curling over the bar and into the crowd. Dix, who had been the best forward by far, found the ball running unkindly for him after Jones had cleared. He could not get it aright otherwise I feel certain a goal would have resulted for they direction was correct, but the power behind the boot was not there, so Sagar was able to save with ease. At this point Nicholas withdrew the plaster from his head just in time to see Stevenson make a wild shot which went closer to the corner flag than the goalpost. Everton’s finishing was poor there was not one of the forwards who could find a shot. Geldard ran through closed in, and presented the ball to Stevenson just as a forward should have it, but the little Irishman could do no right, failing to hit the ball with any power at all.
Half-Time Everton 0, Derby C 0.
There was more excitement in the first five minutes of the second half than theme had been throughout the whole of the first, and it was all due to the scoring of two goals within three minutes. Duncan took an Astley pass with the side of his book and slipped it into the net at forty seven minutes. Within minute Geldard scored from closing range, the ball hurting round the roof of the net before finally settling in the back of the goal. Everton should have increased their score when Cunliffe was also bang through the opposition, with only King facing him, but he had to go and shoot straight into the hands of the goalkeeper. Just previously Lawton had made a good effort, which passed wide, and then Crooks showed his ability with a nice run and shot, which Sagar turned round the post. From the corner Astley made a header, which Sagar caught cleverly. Everton were now attacking strongly and Lawton brought King to his knee with a snap shot, while later the goalkeeper injured his finger tips in getting to a low drive by Lawton and edging the ball round the upright. There still seemed to be more danger from the Derby front line, even though Everton were doing most of the attacking, for they employed better tactics, swinging the ball about more, whereas Everton relied on short passing, often to the wrong man. Ashley shot wide and Travis had been too well watched by Jones to be of much help to his colleagues. The Everton goal had an escape when Crooks centred and Duncan standing close in turned the ball goalwards, Sagar bringing off a great save when it seemed impossible for him to do so. Lawton shot from outside the penalty area and the ball struck Howe who deflected it towards his own goal and had not King thrown himself across the goal the ball would have finished in the net. Howe went over to King and shook his hand for a good save. Stevenson shot with such sting that the ball bounced off King’s chest. At the point King was doing exceptionally well, for Everton were shooting more often and with better judgment. The Derby goalkeeper, as a matter of fact, foiled Everton on several occasions, once saving on the ground, while being surrounded by Everton playing. When the air was cleared someone took up a fighting attitude against Mercer, and the referee had to intervened. He also spoke to Thomson and Travis, Mercer, who had been limping for some time, went to outside right.
A Scene.
The crowd behind the Derby goal got out of hand and the referee called for police assistance to patrol the unsettled area. When a ball went in to this crowd it was some time before it was returned to King. Final Everton 1, Derby County 1.

EVERTON 1 DERBY COUNTY 1 (Game 1646 over-all)-(Div 1 1604)
May 9, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
A Quiet Finish At Goodison
Everton Draw With Derby County
By Stork.
The game between Everton and Derby County was just the sort to make people glad that the season was at an end, for the play all through was drab and unattractive and had it not been for the two goals scored within a minute of each other, there would have been nothing in the game to remember. Duncan’s goal at 47 minutes and Geldard’s equaliser a minute later did lift the drawn game (1-1) out of the doldrums for a time. It was a good job that little was hanging on the result. The County were the better team taken right through. There was certainly more effort at combination, on their part, yet they, too were guilty of missing chances, but not nearly so many as Everton, who could do nothing right when they had opened up a way to goal. Had it not been for one or two efforts by Lawton, the first half would have been devoid of an Everton shot of any worth, and when one thinks of the chances’ missed by Cunliffe, Geldard, and Stevenson , it made one sigh for the end.
A More Forceful Front.
Derby might have taken a goal in the first minute when Ward forced Sagar to edge a drive round his upright. A goal then might have enlivened matters, for it was not until Duncan had scored that Everton began to realize the need for more determined action. They did start to fight back; and with Geldard’s equaliser came a more forceful front so much so that King had to make several saves, two in particular standing out above all other when he prevented Lawton from scoring. This former Everton goalkeeper, along with Dix and Crooks was one of the successes of the County side. I have racked my memory for something which would lift an Everton player out of the ruck, and the best I can find was the display of Greenhalgh, who did exceptionally well against a tricky wing. Jones kept a tight hold on Travis to the extent of blotting him out, but the remainder were below their usual form. I cannot recall any other game in which so many passes went to the opposition. It was all due to the desire to play the short game instead of swinging the ball about. Neither Stevenson nor Cunliffe could get the ball away to a given spot. Everton were too fanciful, and it did not pay, for the Derby tackling was keen, and Dix showed the value of the more open game. Dix was the best player on the field with his well judged and accurate passing. Crooks and Duncan are far from spent forces, and I liked the work of Nicholas and ward, but Bailey must temper his rushes with judgment. Mercer, through a leg injury, had to go on to the wing, but he had done little as regards attack, for he like his colleagues could not get the ball to do his bidding. In defence he was sound. Sagar had to make a number of saves. It was a typically end of the season affair. King has improved considerably since he joined Derby County. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, half-backs; Derby County:- King, goal; Bell and Howe, backs; Nicholas, Bailey and Ward, half-backs; Crooks, Ashley, Travis, Dix and Duncan, forwards. Referee Mr. H.T. McBride (Crewe).

May 9, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton’s Game With Tranmere Rovers
The Liverpool Senior Cup final will be played at Anfield on Wednesday at 6.45 between Everton and Tranmere Rovers. The Cup is one of the finest in the county and the competition is one of the oldest, having been started in 1882. At one time the cup was the monopoly of the First Division clubs, but in recent seasons they have not had the same measure of success against the Third Division teams. Tranmere Rovers for this game will field their first team, while Everton will have several internationals in their side. Both clubs have had to play hard to reach the final. Everton defeated South Liverpool at Holly Park, and they are certain to make a determined effort to carry off the trophy. Having gained promotion to the Second Division, Tranmere Rovers will do their best to add this cup to their honours list. At the conclusion of the game the Third Division Shield and Medals will be presented by Mr. Charles Sutcliffe, president of the Football league.

May 9, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
At Skelmersdale, Everton were presented with the Championship Cup by Councillor T. Fairmond, the vice-chairman of the Skelmersdale Urban District Council. Catterick opened the score for Everton and Stephenson (Skelmersdale) equalized, but Laidman added a second for Everton. Stephenson scored again in the second half, and Platt (U.G.B) and Patterson (South Liverpool) also scored.

May 9, 1938. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
When the curtains dropped at Goodison Park for the last time on Saturday there was no appeal for an endore, for the final display of Everton did not call for you. You have heard of end-of-the-season games; well this was one of the best, or rather worst. There was hardly a single thrill throughout the whole of the 90 minutes, so the season ended for Everton on a poor note. Goodbye was said to Goodison Park with the heartbreaks, no regrets that the season was closed. Everton did not go out with a blaze of victory; in fact they said au revoir with one of their tamest displays. Even though there was nothing important hanging on the result of this match, the majority of the small ring of spectators had anticipated a clean-cut victory, and all they got was a tame and unattractive game. I have never seen so many Everton passes go the wrong way in any match this season. Not one but practically every player, was guilty of making inaccurate passes, and Derby County often framed an attack through getting a pass intended for an Everton man. What thrills there were left until the Second Half when Duncan took a goal at 47 minutes, only to find it leveled the next minute by Geldard. King, the former Everton goalkeeper, livened matters with some grand saves, two in particularly from Lawton, but leave those out and there was nothing about the game to keep it in the memory box. The play was as dry as the dust which rose with the bounce of the ball, and it is a fact that the County showed the better ideas and a more dangerous front when they moved off towards goal.
About Ronald Dix.
Dix, almost signed by Everton some few seasons ago, was the bright light on a dull afternoon. He has had a grand season, and a particularly good first half against Everton. He made some lovely openings, and had a shot or two, while Crooks and Duncan two of the County’s long services men, can still trip the wing with the best. Had Derby had a centre forward –Travis was only seen when charging Sagar –they could have won. As it was they were the better team as a whole. Tonight Everton go to Blackpool to play in the Blackpool Hospital Cup.

May 10, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
Northampton town yesterday signed J. Cuff, a wing half from Everton aged twenty years old.
Liverpool Cup Final
The Liverpool Senior Cup final between Everton and Tranmere Rovers to be played at the Liverpool ground, Anfield tomorrow, Kick-off at 6.45 reminds me that in the “good old days” such clubs as Bootle, Earlestown, and Rock Ferry were among the winners of this handsome trophy. Bootle were the first winners of the cup in 1882-83, and were successful in 1887-88 and 1888-89. Everton first won it in 1883-84 and Liverpool gained their initial success in their first season, 1892-93, when they defeated Everton in the final at the Bootle ground. Earlestown won the trophy in 1884-85, while Rock Ferry secured it in 1896-97. When Bootle won the cup for the first time they beat Everton in the semi-final and Liverpool Ramblers, the score being 3-1 in each game. When Everton won in the following year they beat Earlestown 1-0 in the final, but twelve months later Earlestown defeated Everton in the last stage. The meeting of Everton and Bootle in the early days gibe rise to the heated scenes among the partisans and frequently trouble on the field.
When Bootle Kept The Ball
I have a copy of a letter sent to the hon, secretary of the Liverpool and District Football Association by the then hon, secretary of the Everton club, dated October 26, 1886. It reads: - Dear sir –I have to inform you that this club played in the first round of the Cup ties on the 23rd inst, and beat the Bootle club by 2 goals to nil (2-0). Referee Mr. J. J. Bentley, of Bolton. (Mr. Bentley was the president of the Football League.). The spectators crowded over the field and stopped play one minute and a half before time, when the Bootle team left the field, followed by our men. As we could not get the Bootle captain to agree to shorter time (as per Challenge Rule 6) our team re-entered the field and waited some time for the Bootle team who refused to come out or deliver up the ball to be played with. Times have changed, and for many years the Liverpool Cup ties have invariably produced excellent football and some stirring games. Tomorrow’s final should be well worth seeing.

May 10, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Cup Won By Spin Of Coin
Blackpool Take Hospital Trophy
Blackpool won the Blackpool Hospital Cup at Bloomfield Road last night after a draw of 2-2, with Everton. Before Blackpool could lay claim to the trophy the captains Britton, and D. Blair, had to toss for the right to hold it. As an exhibition of football the game was thoroughly enjoyable. Some of the movements were high class, and the matter of goals did not weigh heavily so long as the people were kept interested for sound tactical methods. The sides displayed excellent control of the lively ball and the combination all round was of tip-top class. O’Donnell and Farrow scored for Blackpool, the latter from the penalty spot, but before the interval Everton had equalized through a header by Lawton and a goal by Cunliffe. The second half was not quite as clever as the first 45 minutes for there was a shade more keenest and the goalkeeper, Roxburgh and Sagar, made some fine saves. Lawton and Geldard were prominent for Everton, and O’Donnell, Buchan and Munro did well for Blackpool. The players were afterwards entertained to a dinner, where the “spin” for the trophy took place.

May 10, 1938. The Evening Express
Anfield Test For New Div 2 Club Tomorrow
Everton lost a cup last night at Blackpool by the luck of the toss. They have played a draw of 2-2 with Blackpool. Tomorrow night they hope to capture a cup by the skill of their football. They face Tranmere Rovers, the new comers to the second Division, in the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. After the match the president of the Football league, Mr. C. E. Sutchliffe, will present the trophy. Tranmere re expected to field their strongest possible side, while Everton will include three players who, of late, have been playing in the first eleven. Everyone will be interested to see how the Rovers shape against First Division rivals and I anticipate a big attendance. This competition began in 1882, and although the First Division clubs used to monopolies it in recent years the Third Division sides have been meeting with success. The Rovers team will not be chosen until the board meeting tonight. Everton; Morton; Jackson, Cook; Mercer, Edwards, Lindley; Merritt, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Trentham.

May 11, 1938. The Liverpool daily Post
By John Peel
Now that the dispute between Tranmere Rovers and the players has been settled, the new Second League club will be able to play its strongest side in the final of the Liverpool Cup against Everton at Anfield today, kick-off at 6.45. there should be a big gate to see this game and to show appreciation of Tranmere’s success in gaining promotion from the Third Division, Mr. C.E. Sutcliffe, president of the League, will present the Northern Second Championship Shields and medals to the Rovers at the end of the game, and the Rovers hope to receive the cup and winners medals. Everton are just as keen to secure the trophy and it should be a fine struggle for the honour. Everton; Morton; Jackson, Cook; Mercer, Edwards, Lindley; Merritt, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Trentham. Tranmere Rovers; Curnow; Hamilton, Walsell; Anderson, Clark, Spencer; Dellow, Cassidy, Waring, Buckley, Eden.

May 11, 1938. The Evening Express
By Pilot.
Everton will take 13 players to Scotland for the Empire Exhibition tournament match, against Glasgow Rangers, on May 30. They are; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh, Jones (JE); Mercer, Jones (TG), Thomson; Geldard, Gillick, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Cliff Britton, the captain, will represent the players at the jubilee banquet of the Football League in London on May 30, but if Everton beat the Rangers he will travel to Scotland to join the party. The headquarters of Everton will be Wemyss Bay, and the party will include Messrs A. Coffey, W.C. Gibbins, G. Evans and R. R Turnbull, directors, and the trainer, Mr, Harry Cooke.

May 11, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Milligan, Oldham Athletic Ever Present
Everton F.C, announced their first new signing in readiness for next season, that of J. Milligan, left or centre half back, of Oldham Athletic. Milligan is 20 years of age, stands 6ft and weighs 13st. He is a native of Fallsworth. He never missed a match for Oldham Athletic last season, and prior to joining Athletic played as an amateur for Manchester North End in the Cheshire County League. The negotiations were carried out by Merrs Coffey, Gibbons, and Hunter Hart.

May 12 1938, Liverpool Daily Post
Everton yesterday announced their first new signing in readiness for next season that of j Milligan left or centre half-back of Oldham athletic. Milligan is twenty years-of-age, stands 6ft and weights 13st. he is a native of fails worth. He never missed a match for Oldham athletic last season, and prior to joining the Athletic, played as an amateur for Manchester north end in the Cheshire county league. The negotiations were carried out by messes’ Coffey Gibbons and Hunter Hart.

May 12, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Shareholders And Directorate
An optimistic view that Messrs W.C. Gibbins, George Evans, and W. R. Williams, who have received the support of the Everton shareholders Association, would be selected to the board of Everton F.C, was expressed by Mr. A.N. Denaro, who presided at a social organized by the Shareholders Association last night. Mr. Denaro said, it was not the untention of the association to enter into any controversy over what had happened, but the association was formed because they felt an injustice had been done to the shareholders. Some time ago they were given what they assured was an undertaking that the shareholders would have an opportunity of placing their nominees on the board and they regretted that they were deprived of the opportunity.
“A Veiled Threat”
Certain things had been said in a circular which they very much regretted. They did not intend to do, or say, anything to intensify any ill-feeling that might have been created. Something had been said which could be construed as a velled sort of threat, and it was wrong to say that if a certain set of gentlemen were elected it would result in a crisis in the affairs of the club. They believed their nominees would do the right thing at the annual meeting and they hoped they would work amicably, both with shareholders and directors, so that Everton F.C., would occupy the position in the future which it had in the past. After congratulating the players upon getting through a very difficult period under awkward circumstances, Mr. Denaro said he was optimistic that the three gentlemen the association supported would be elected to the board. He hoped that any animosity would be removed and they would make progress in the interests of the club. An enjoyable variety entertainment was given during the evening Mr. Tom Smith acting as compeers, with Mr. Charles Megginson at the panio. The artists were Merrs, Ben Wood, Megginson and Taylor (entertainers), Eric Child (tenor), Harry Evans (baritone), and Bert Jones and Fred White (comedians). There was also community singing

May 12, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post
Tranmere Lose By 3-2.
Shield Presented To Champions.
By Stork.
Everton last night at Anfield won the Liverpool Senior Cup for the twenty-fifth time, when they defeated the newly promoted team, Tranmere Rovers, 3-2. So far as attendance is concerned the Rovers should have a good season in the Second Division, for the bulk of the spectators last night were Tranmere supporters. At the conclusion of a very good game, Mr., C.E. Sutcliffe, the president of the Football League, presented the championship Shield to Tranmere Rovers, while Mr. J. Butterfield of the Liverpool County F.A present the Cup and medals to the players.
Mr. Sutcliffe’s Congratulations.
Mr. Sutchliffe, while congratulating the Rovers on their success in winning Third Division (North) championship, stressed the need for additional players, citing the case of Stockport County, who remained in the Second Division just one season. “You have a good side,” he said, “but there is no game in the world where luck plays such a part. Injuries come along, and it is necessary to have competent reserve strength to fill the place of the first-team man laid aside through injury.” Tranmere Rovers, he added “accomplished a great feat to win their championship. They had a hard task during the last month, but rose to the occasion gallantly, and I have much pleasure in handling over the shield to worthy winners,” said Mr. Sutcliffe. “I am not going to hand the medals to the players individually, but present them in bulk so that they can be taken over to Birkenhead and presented there. Should the Rovers win the championship of the Second Division I shall make it my business to see that the trophy is presented in Birkenhead.
Bell’s Goals.
Now to the game. It was most enjoyable fare. There was a neighborly atmosphere about it; not that the competition was not keen for the cup, but each and every man played football, excessive vigour was absent so that many good movements were to be seen. Bell, the former Rovers’ centre forward, soon got off the mark, scoring a goal in one minute. He added two further goals and should have had many others, while Stevenson should have had at least one. Waring still great footballer, was the chief attraction of the Rovers team, and he showed amazing mastery of the ball and a keen sense of positional play. He took the first goal in clever style, and made the last one for Cassidy who was at the time performing at centre forward. Waring was full of tricks and sound football, and I doubt if there is a better forward playing. He made fine openings by deft movements, and it was apparent that he was looked upon as the key man by his colleagues. For Everton Lindley (the left half); J. mercer, and Bell and Stevenson were most prominent, for Bentham seemed bothered by the lively ball. Tranmere tried the Liverpool “switch” Cassidy going centre forward and Waring inside left. Eden was smart on the wing, and Spencer and Clarke, playing in a glove through a damaged hand, and Perfect who deputized for Hamilton, were all strong defenders for Tranmere. Teams: - Everton: - Morton, goal; Jackson and Cook, backs; Mercer, Edwards and Lindley, half-backs; Merritt, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Trentham, forwards. Tranmere Rovers: - Curnow, goal; Perfect and Wassell, backs; Anderson, Clark and Spencer, half-backs; Dellow, Cassidy, Waring, Buckley and Eden, forwards. Referee Mr.G. Hewitt.

May 12, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
J. Milligan, left or centre half back of Oldham Athletic, signed by Everton. Milligan has been sought by several First Division clubs this season but Oldham refused to part so long as there was any chance of promotion. When they lost their last remaining chance at Rake Lane a week ago, however, Messrs Coffey, Gibbons, and Evans, who were at the New Brighton match, immediately reopened negotiations, and the final details were settled yesterday.

May 12, 1938. The Liverpool Echo.
The first “get together” event organized by the Everton Shareholders’ Association, held last evening, was a great success. Taking the form of a hotpot supper and smoking concert, it was primary a social evening, but under the circumstances surrounding the impending election of directors at the annual meeting of the club next month. Mr. A. Denaro, chairman of the association, made a short speech. He made it quite clear that it was not the intention of the E.S.A to enter into any controversy with regard to what had happened in the past. The association had come into being because of their love for the Everton club, and because it was felt an injustice had been done to the shareholders. Some time ago the shareholders were given what they assumed to be am undertaking that they would be afforded an opportunity of placing on the board some of the men they thought should be there. It was to be regretted that certain action taking recently deprived them of that opportunity to which they believed they were entitled. He also regretted certain statements made in a circular recently sent to the shareholders, but it was not the intention of the Associations to do or say anything to intensify any ill-feeling that might thus have been created. They felt, however, that they had a right to say who should serve on the board of directors, and that they were fully justified in supporting the candidature of Messrs, W. R. Gibbins, G. Evans, and W.R. Williams. A statement had been made which was in a nature of a veiled sort of threat “British people have never liked threats” added Nr. Denaro. “We can be led, but we object to being driven, and it is wrong to say that if certain then are elected there will be a crisis in the affairs of the club. I hope the shareholders will not be swayed by that statement. The men we are supporting are prepared to go on the board and do what the shareholders believe to be the right thing, not only at the next annual meeting, but at all meetings. “It is not our desire to add to any feeling that nasty have crept into this matters, we hope to work amicably with the shareholders and the directors so that in the days to come the Everton club may occupy the high position it has occupied in the past.”
Players Congratulated.
Mr. Denaro offered his congratulations to the players on getting successfully through a difficulty period, as a result of which they would be privileged to see First Division Football again next season. He was optimistic that when the time comes the three candidates whom the association was supporting would be elected. He hoped also that all animosity would be swept away, and that all would work together in the best interests of the club. An enjoyable entertainment, which was arranged by Mr. William Barnes, was given during the evening. Mr. Toni Smith acting as compere with Mr. Charles Megginson at the piano. The artists were messrs, Ben Wood, Megginson and Taylor (entertainers) Eric Child (tenor), Harry Evans (baritons), and Bert Jones and Fred White (comedians). Community singing wound up a successful gathering. A general meeting of shareholders of the Everton Club has been arranged under the auspices of the association at the St. George’s Restaurant Redcross street, on Wednesday evening, May 18, at eight o’clock. An invitation to attend is extended to all shareholders, whether members of the E.S.A, or not. Shareholders should also note to make application direct to the club if they desire tickets for the Royal visit on May 19. Tickets can only be supplied on the ratio of one for each book of season tickets held, and applicants are requested to enclosed a stamped addressed envelope. There will also be a limited number of car parking tickets. Early applications will facilitate the work of the office staff.

MAY 12, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Mr. C. E. Sutcliffe, the president of the Football League, when presenting the League Championship Shield to Tranmere Rovers after they were beaten in the Liverpool Cup by Everton at Anfield, last night, sounded a warning note. When he said “I hearty congratulate the Rovers on their magnificent performance. They rose gallantly to the occasion the last month of the season. “The Rovers have a good side, he added, “but there’s no game in the world in which luck plays so big a part. Injuries come along, to disturb the team, and it behoves all clubs to see that they have a requisite, reserve strength to fill the vacant places.” The game was most enjoyable, the high lights of it being the display of Pongo Waring, the idol of the Birkenhead fan. Waring was grand; a master of ball control, he scored a fine goal, made another for Cassidy, and is, in my opinion, one of the best if not the best inside forward in football today. A excellent took goal in a minute, scored by the Rover’s former player, bell, who went on to register a “hat-trick” it should have been a “sextet” and while Everton always looked like winners, the Rovers produced some clever football to retain the interest right to the end.

May 12, 1938. The Evening Express.
Doing What They Believe Is Right
“Certain Things Said… We Regret”
By Pilot.
Everton F.C. Shareholders’ Association has no intention of circularizing the shareholders of the club to secure support for their candidates at the annual meeting of the club. This was revealed at a supper held by the Association, last evening, when the case for their three candidates, Messrs. W. C. Gibbins, G. Evans and W.R. Williams was put by the chairman, Mr. A.N. Denaro. Messrs Gibbins and Evans are retiring directors and have the support of half the Everton board. The other half is working for the election of the other retiring directors, Mr. R. R. Turnbull, and Messrs, F. Flinn and A. Dolby. Mr. Denaro took the view that the nominees of the Shareholders’ Association would be elected. “Certain things have been said,” said Mr. Denaro, “and indicated in a circular which has been issued, and which we regret. We do not intend to intensify any ill-feeling created by what has been done. “Although they can be led, British people will not be driven, and for someone to say that if certain gentlemen are elected to the board it will lead to a crisis which could be avoided by the election of other gentlemen is wrong. “The persons we have nominated are prepared to go to the board and do what the shareholders believe is the right thing.
Amicable Working.
“I hope we can work amicably with every shareholder and every director, so that in the days to come the Everton club will occupy the position it occupied in the past. “We congratulate the players on getting through a difficult period. Due to their efforts, we are privileged to have First Division football again next season. “Our hope is that the players will be treated as they should be treated, and that they, in their turn, will do their duty to the club. “When the time comes our friends will be elected to the board and, as a result of that, I hope there will be no animosity and that we will be able to progress in the best interests of Everton.” No date has yet been fixed for the annual meeting of the Club, but the Shareholders’ Association will hold a public meeting on May 18 at Red Cross-street, Liverpool.

May 14, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
By Louis T. Kelly.
• Fine distinction for Tom Lawton to top the First Division scoring bill, and that in his first full season. His total, 28 goals is the lowest individual maximum since the present offside rule came into operation a dozen years ago.
• A few years ago Norman Greenhalgh, Everton’s very capable defender, was almost lost to football. Thought seriously of becoming a fire policeman.

May 17, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Everton have signed John Lyon, schoolboy international inside left, on amateur forms Lyons, a promising player who has been sought by several big clubs, is not yet 15, and does not leave Whiston Central School until the end of this term. Arrangements are being made for him to be apprenticed as a joiner.

May 19, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
W.R. (Dixie) Dean, ex-Everton and now Notts County centre forward, is to play this season for the Everton Baseball Club. The baseball club has no connection with the football club. Dean has now recovered from his recent ankle operation, and favours baseball as a means of keeping fit during the close season. He will play for Everton B.C, against Meiling on Saturday.

May 19, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
The position regarding the spilt on the Everton F.C, board was clarified somewhat last night at a meeting of the Everton shareholders Association, when further light was shed on certain aspects of the controversy which has arisen. Mr. A. N. Denaro, who presided over a well-attended gathering, briefly outlined the circumstances which led to the formation of the association, which have already been reported in this column and reiterated that its primary object was to ensure that the shareholders’ right should be recognized. In supporting Messrs W.C. Gibbins, G. Evans, and W.R. Williams the committee considered, said Mr. Denaro, that they were acting in the best interests of the club. “We have already obtained an encouraging number of proxies,” he added, “and we are confident we shall be in a position to carry the day at the annual meeting. “ Referring to the quantifications of their candidates, he said Mr.Gibbins had been a director of Everton for 20 years, had always given of his best, and so, far as it was in the power of any one man to satisfy everybody Mr. Gibbins had done so. The same applied to Mr. Evans, who during his six years on the board had always acted in what he considered the best interests of the club, while Mr. W. R. Williams was the unanimous choice of the Shareholders’ Association.
“Unfair Attitude”
“Since we adopted these three candidates there have, unfortunately, been developments which are not in the best interests of the clubs,” continued Mr. Denaro. “The other side have put two more candidates in the field, and mean to throw out Messrs Gibbins, and Evans if possible, which I consider is an unfair attitude after all they have done.” Dealing with requests made by the shareholders at previous annual meetings for consideration of their nominees, Mr. Denaro said they gathered from what they were told that they would have an opportunity of putting a name forward when a vacancy occurred through death of other causes. Following the death of Mr. Banks and Mr. Jack Sharp, however, Messes, Gates and Turnbull were co-opted to the board.
“Playing The Game.”
Mr. Denaro critised the circular sent to shareholders over the signature of the chairman of the club and certain other directors, in which reference’s made to “playing the game.” “Those who use his phrase should first of all be sure they are playing the game themselves, he said. When a promise is given that certain names will be considered when a vacancy occurs, and then two men are put on the board without our having any say in the matter, I do not consider that in playing the game as it should be played. The same circular says that if Messrs Gibbins, Evans and Williams are elected a very graves crisis will be precipitated in the affairs of the Everton club. I do not like threats of this kind, I shows a disposition on the part of the people responsible to use any and every means to achieve their end. It is entirely un British. I do not know what the supposed crisis is, but from the way Everton have been situated for some years towards the end of each season I think we have had a crisis for some time. If there is one thing that could make the shareholders more determined than ever to carry on what they have aid their hands to it is a threat of this character. We have reasonableness, commonsense, and the welfare of the club on our side. We are well on the way to victory, and I honestly believe that the return of our three candidates will be in the best interests of Everton F.C.
Election By Ballot.
When the meeting was thrown open to questions, a shareholders pointed out that it had been started that the election of Messrs Gates and Turnbull was unanimous. It was explained by a member of the committee that at the board meeting the name of Mr. W. R. Williams was proposed by one of the directors, and a ballot was taken on the three names each of the seven directors having two votes. The result was seven votes by Mr. R. R. Turnbull, four for Alderman Gates and three for Mr. Williams. Later on, however, the three directors who had voted for Mr. Williams made sporting gesture, and said that under the circumstances, as a mark of courtesy they would be willing to make the election unanimous. After several further questions had been answered, Mr. Denaro stated that the association was anxious to extend its scope beyond the immediate question at issue, and hoped in the future to arrange for occasional outings to away matches and a series of social events during the coming winter. The committee had also under consideration the adoption of a “bun penny” scheme by which poor children might be given a week’s holiday in the country.

May 19, 1938. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Members of Everton Football Club Shareholders’ Association are determined to make strenuous efforts to secure the election of their three candidates –Messrs W.C. Gibbins, G. Evans, and W.R. Williams –to the Board at the annual meeting. A further meeting was held last evening, when it was explained to the shareholders that the board was now divided into two “camps.” Messrs E. Green, A. Coffey, W.C. Gibbins and G. Evans were ranged on one side in support of the Association, and Messrs W.C. Cuff, A. Gates, T. Percy, and R.R. Turnbull and Dr. C.S. Baxter were supporting the candidatures of Messrs, Turnbull, Flinn, and Dolby. Mr. W. C. Gibbins, revealed that when Messrs Gates and Turnbull were co-opted to the board, the voting at the directors’ meeting resulted in seven votes for Turnbull, four for Mr. Gates and three for Mr. Williams. Later in order to prevent ill-feeling, they made the voting unanimous in favour of Mr. Gates. So the fight goes on, with the ceaseless appeal for proxies. The entire position is, in my opinion, unfortunate, but for the sake of Everton I hope everything will be smoothed out at the annual meeting. I know all concerned well enough to say, that afterwards there will be no recriminations. At the bottom, they have the good of the club at heart.

May 24, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Rangers Notes
The Everton F.C, controversy is taken a stage further today by two letters from readers, who present a point of view in opposition to that of the Shareholders Association. The reply of the chairman of the shareholders body (Mr. A.N. Denaro).
Mr. T. Swale, Widnes writes; - “I have read with interest the account of the meeting of the newly formed shareholders’ Association of the Everton club and as a shareholder there are one or two points upon which, it appears to me, some further information is required. “We now know that the Association’s nominee was in fact, a candidate for co-option on the board, but was defeated on the vote of the directors, and it would be of interest to know if the new Association has been unaugrated for the special purpose of supporting his “nomination and whether there would have been any such Association, or any other nomination, if Mr. Williams had himself been a successful in being co-opted on the board. The ostensible purpose of the Association would have been much more evident if their nomree had been a shareholder who had not been endeavored to gain a seat on the board by the method which the Association now describes. “Two other questions also arise namely how many of the retiring directors who suppose Mr. Williams do in fact owe their own seats on the board in the first place to co-option, and did the retiring directors now supporting Mr., Williams pledge themselves either specially on morally to support the co-opted directors on their becoming due for election by the shareholders. A plain answer to these questions is necessary if we are to judge the merits of the question involved, of the ‘sportsmanship, of the contending parties.
“Disquiet And Sorrows”
I notice that the chairman of the Association had something to say about the word “crisis” being introduced into this unfortunate dispute. May I mention that some considerable time before the circular letter from the directors was received by me, I received a letter from the Secretary of the Association (enclosing proxy) which commenced with a reference to a ‘grave crisis’ in the affairs of the club, without any information of facts to justify the use of such words. Who, then, started this talk of the “crisis.”? “In conclusion, may I express my own feelings of disquiet and sorrow that a club with the tradition, name, and reputation held by Everton should find itself the shuttlecock of acrimonious propaganda and public debates?
Unfortunate Position.
“Paddock” writes: - “it is indeed unfortunate that the composition of the directorate should again be the cause of a cleavage between directors and shareholders. Writing as a loyal supporter, one cannot but feel perturbed regarding the future welfare of the club, particularly, so after reading the circular issued by the chairman and the directors associated with him. The formation of the E.S.A can be fully appreciated, but I am far from satisfied that the issue apparently responsible for bringing the E.S.A into being is the root cause of the trouble. “Press reports of the E.S.A meeting on Wednesday last disclose that within the association are four of the seven directors who voted at the board meeting when Messrs, Turnbull and Gates ere co-opted. Mr. Williams who is no one of the association three nominees, received only three votes while Mr. Turnbull was supposed by ever member of the board. Obviously one of the four did not then consider Mr. Williams worthy of his support. What has been responsible for this complete change of attitude. “Further, in the circular previously referred there is a direct charge of breach of faith. It is alleged that all the seven directors’ pledged themselves to support Mr. Turnbull on his seeking re-election. “Here without doubt a serious question of principle arises, and the absence of any reply to this charge either by Mr. Denaro or any one of the four directors associated with the association, gaves cause for grave concern, as it strikes at the very foundation on which the good name of the club has been built. “Mr. Denaro’s assertion that the return of the association’s three candidates will be in the best interests of Everton Football Club is, I venture to suggest, somewhat presumptuous. I can assure Mr. Denaro that there is a large body of supporters (who would readily become shareholders if the opportunity presented itself who are not unmindful of the self-sacrifice of Mr. Cuff in making Everton one of the most highly respected clubs in the football world. “As a supporter I would counsel all shareholders to seriously consider the issues involved, and to probe a little more deeply into the motives responsible for the creation of the association.
Shareholders Reply.
I communicated the contents of the two letters above to Mr. A,N. Denaro, chairman of the shareholders Association, whose reply is as follows:-
“Since its inception, the Association has invited all shareholders to attend its meetings and has extended to them an opportunity of expressing their views from the floor of the house, irrespectative of their agreement or otherwise with the association. That being so, it is not our intention to be drawn into a public controversy as it is our firm conviction that such would not be in the best interest of the Everton club or those associated with it.”

May 31, 1938. The Liverpool Daily Post.
Everton Beat The Rangers.
Brilliant Play In Empire Exhibition Tourney.
Everton stopped the run of the Scottish victories in the empire exhibition football tournament at Ibrox park last night, they beat rangers quite convincingly by 2-0 and gave the impression of being the best side yet seen in the tournament. Rangers had to do without their goalkeeper for half an hour in the second half. He was injured when attempting to save the second goal. The whole Everton team play brilliant football, under difficult windy conditions and were very keen, in sharp contrast to Chelsea in the previous game. Playing with the wind in the first half Everton were unlucky not to score more than once Lawton before netting in thirty-eight minutes, sent a fine header against the crossbar, his goal, was smartly taken as a shot from Cunliffe rebounded off Simpson. Cunliffe was a spectacular attacker. He shot at every, chance sending one against the post just before half-time.
Everton played well into the wind in the second half, and Gillick paved the way for the second goal when he lured Dawson out. The goalkeeper collided with the winger and Gillick, and as he lay on the ground injured, Cunliffe shot into the empty goal. Simpson put on, the goalkeeper jersey on and Everton, strangely enough did not make so much headway as they had done before. Indeed in the closing stages the Scots made gallant efforts to save the game but they were not sufficiently clever to break down an Everton defence in which Sagar, cook, Jones, and mercer played splendidly. Rangers were poorly served in, attack, Thornton and Turnbull making poor substitutes for smith and McPhail whose joint weight was missed. Everton now meet Aberdeen in, the semi-final next Monday evening. The official attendance was 48,000. Everton are continuing their stay at Skelmorle, until after the semi-final next Monday, last night they visited the empire exhibition,
Glasgow Rangers, Dawson; goal, Gray and Winning backs, McKillop, Simpson, and Brown half-backs Main, Turnbull, Thornton , Venters and Kinnear, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG) and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Gillick, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Nattrass, Durham.

May 31, 1938, Daily Herald.
Everton Masters
By “Tam of Shanter”
Rangers 0, Everton 2.
English football was shown in much better light in the Empire Exhibition Tournament at Ibrox Park last night. Giving an extremely polished display, Everton gained a wholley conclusive victory over rangers, thus ensuring the presence of at least one English club in the semi-finals. Even before Rangers lost their goalkeeper half-an-hour from the end Everton were the better side. They should have had the same well won at half-time. Actually Rangers played with more spirit and had the better scoring chances when playing with 10 men, but with Everton tackling strongly, their bid was foredoomed to failure. Cunliffe was Everton’s shooting star, but the whole attack was good, Boyes and Stevenson making a splendid left wing. Jones, Sagar, and Greenhalgh were dominant figures in the defence. Rangers forward line showed many failings. A crowd of over 40,000 enjoyed the play.
Just Right Type.
Rangers playing against a tricky wind, had difficulty keeping their goal intact. Dawson saved a smashing drive from Cunliffe, while Gillick sent a clever hook shot inches over from close range. Rangers attack looked rather light without McPhail and Smith, and in the close tackling the Everton defenders got the ball with regularity. I liked Mercer’s willingness to come up to the attack, and it was from one of the right half back’s crosses that Lawton headed against the crossbar.
Well-Earned Goal
Everton were worthy of a goal, and it came in 38 minutes. Cunliffe tried another snap drive. The ball cannoned into Simpson, and Lawton, taking the chance brilliantly, shot a goal. All Everton after that for a while, Cunliffe hit the upright next and little Stevenson, an ex-Rangers player missed a chance of scoring from the rebound. A bigger lead at half-time would not have flattered Everton.
Dawson Injured.
Sagar had more to do at the start of the second half. He saved a low shot from Venters when rangers were struggling for an equaliser but Everton continued to find their men well, and after another attacking move by Mercer, Cunliffe shot narrowly past. In 14 minutes Everton went further ahead, Gillick can down the middle and in a dash to clear, Winning and Dawson collided. The ball ran clear to Cunliffe, who shot calmly into an empty goal. Dawson and Winning were injured and Dawson had to be carried off the field. Simpson played the rest of the game as goalkeeper. Everton seemed to ease up after this but the policy was not a good one because Rangers’ ten made it a fighting finish. Glasgow Rangers, Dawson; goal, Gray and Winning backs, McKillop, Simpson, and Brown half-backs Main, Turnbull, Thornton , Venters and Kinnear, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG) and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Gillick, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Nattrass, Durham.

May 31, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Blues Beat Rangers In Exhibition Tourney
Everton, by a brilliant 2-0 win over Glasgow Rangers, are in the semi-final of the Empire Exhibition football tournament. Their next opponents are Aberdeen. There was no doubt about Everton being the superior combination against Rangers. In the closing stages the Scots made great efforts to equalize, but found Cook and Greenhalgh capable of dealing with all attacks. Mercer, Jones and Sagar also played well. Rangers were unfortunate in being without Dawson for 30 minutes in the second half. Dawson was hurt when trying to save after Gillick had given Cunliffe an open goal. Cunliffe made no mistake. Simpson the centre half, took Dawson’s place. Lawton put Everton ahead after 38 minutes, previously, nodding the ball against the cross-bar. Lawton scored from the rebound off Simpson, after Cunliffe had shot at goal. Glasgow Rangers, Dawson; goal, Gray and Winning backs, McKillop, Simpson, and Brown half-backs Main, Turnbull, Thornton , Venters and Kinnear, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG) and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Gillick, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Nattrass, Durham.

May 31, 1938. The Liverpool Echo
Rangers’ Notes.
Everton by their 2-0 victory over Glasgow Rangers in the Empire Exhibition football tournament, at Ibrox Park last night, qualified to meet Aberdeen in the semi-final next Monday. Few had expected Everton to beat the Rangers greatly fancied for the final, and although the Scots were without their goalkeeper for half an hour, Everton gave a brilliant exhibition. They beat Rangers quite convincingly by 2-0 and gave the impression of being the best side yet seen in the tournament. The whole Everton team played clever football under difficult windy conditions and were very keen, in sharp contrast to Chelsea in the previous game. Rangers were poorly served in attack. Glasgow Rangers, Dawson; goal, Gray and Winning backs, McKillop, Simpson, and Brown half-backs Main, Turnbull, Thornton , Venters and Kinnear, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG) and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Gillick, Cunliffe, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Nattrass, Durham. Everton are continuing their stay at Skelmorlie until after the semi-final next Monday. Last night they visited the Empire Exhibition.


May 1938