Everton Independent Research Data


Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 01 May 1939
Mr. Justice Hallett, today, commenced the hearing at Liverpool Assizes, of 47 divorce petitions. There was only one defended case. Decrees nisi were granted to:— Cook. Goodison-avenue, Liverpool, against William Cook. Irish International full-back for Everton Football Club; co-respondent. Miss Lucy Devine. Mrs Cook, whose petition was granted the grounds of misconduct, was given the custody the two children of the marriage.

New Plans For An Everton Tour
Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 01 May 1939
By Pilot
NEGOTIATIONS are proceeding for another tour for Everton this month. Mr. Theo Kelly, the secretary, is endeavouring to arrange matches in Switzerland, France and Holland, but if the Swiss and French games cannot be secured, I expect the champions will have two or three games in Holland. Originally Everton should have toured Germany, but they cancelled the arrangements owing to the international situation. Then agreement could not be reached when the question of a tour of Eire was discussed.

Everton 3 Aston villa 0 (Game 1687 over-all)-(Div 1 1645)
May 1 1939. The Daily Post
By Stork
Everton had a much more easy victory over Aston Villa than was at one time anticipated. For the Midlanders had so often won away from home that there appeared a danger that they might surprise an Everton who might be taking things easily in view of the championship success but if anyone was taking things easily in this meeting it was Aston Villa. They rarely ever suggested that they would penetrate the Everton defence, even though some of their football was of excellent quality, for they were wretched shooters, when the opportunities stood before them. The final at Wembley along with the fact that the game against Wolvers will be broadcast kept many people away from the Everton’s last home game for there were only a matter of 23,000 people present where twice that number had been expected. Everton walked their way to a 3-0 victory, for they were much to good for the Villa, who gave the impression that as there was nothing to play for they need not extend themselves. Sagar perhaps, had two saves worthy of mention. Such was the properly stricken nature of the Villa’s shooting. Their were feebleness itself near goal, even though they could and did make their advantages by good class combination, Everton had something to play for. They are desirous of obtaining 60 points by the end of the season and two had to be taken in this game. Hence the reason for their more ‘’biting’’ game. The football was entertaining if not actually brilliant and when Everton captured three goals in the first half, the game was all over. They never again really pressed their case, and the Villa were quite content to allow matters to jog along griently, the first half, in particularly saw Everton doing almost as they liked, and goal came to Bentham, Gillick and Cook at frequent intervals, what time the Villa were commanding attention for class football without any punch Bentham is not an acknowledged goal score for Everton. He has scored some vital ones on occasion but he has never scored a better than the one which set Everton on their way to victory. He had to get the lively ball under control, beat of the challenge of at least one defender before making a shot. He did all three things correctly and the ball went flying into the net at express with the former Southport goalkeeper, Rutherford unable to get in touch with the ball despite his flight across the goal mouth. It was a goal worthy of a Lawton or Westcott. Callagham the Villa right back had a harrowing him against Stevenson and Caskie, and in his effort to hold them down he had to kick into touch. Now in nine cases out of ten, that would have been perfectly safe, but this was one case where it proved fatal, for from the throw in, Gillick got his forehead to the ball a fraction of a second before Rutherford’s hands and the ball was in the net. Gillick must have got one of the goalkeeper’s fists on his nose, for he had to take carried off and when he resume he was continually dabby his nose. The third goal came from the penalty spot, Cook who is now recognised as Everton’s penalty king, made no mistake from the spot. The Villa protested against the referee’s decision that Iverson had handled to keep Bentham’s header out of the net, but as he had a close-up of the incident he had made up his mind about the matter and nothing would shake him from his decision. Rutherford made a grand save when he turned a Stevenson show away from goal to keep the score against his side down to three at the interval. The second half was more go-as-you-please than ever, with Everton indulging in much finesse, and the Villa content to keep the total down to reasonable dimensions. Their did not seen any hope of then beating Sagar because their shooting was puerile. Three presentation goals were missed, and the one really good shot by O’Donnell turned a foot outside the upright. This was not the Villa’s real form and Everton went merrily on their way to victory without scoring again, although no one could quite understand why the referee disallow Lawton’s goal in the last few minutes. Lawton was a luckless shooter for several of his big drives were kept out of the net by the merest fluke, the ball slamming up against a defender later Lawton suffered an ankle injury and was unable to run and Gillick played ass though he remembered his another double for Everton-their ninth of the season. The team received a great ovation when they entered the field some of their supporters sprinkling them with confect.
Everton:- Sagar goal, Cook (captain), and Greenhalgh, backs, Mercer, Jones (tg), and Watson half-backs Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Caskie forwards. Aston Villa,:- Rutherford goal, Callaghan, and Cummins backs, Massie, Allen and Iverson half-backs, Broome, Edward, O’Donnell, Haydock and Sterling forward. Referee Mr. EV Gouth (Stoke), attendance 23,667

Everton ‘’A’’ 5 Earstletown Bohemians 2
May 1st 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
At west Derby. Although Everton won rather easily Skermersdale’s 1 goal victory over B.I.Social gained then the championship. Everton were easily the superior side Catterick (4) and Johnson were the Everton scorers, Bohemians goal came from McArdle and Whittle.

May 1, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Well, senior football is over on Merseyside, for Everton rang down the curtain on Saturday with an easy victory over Aston Villa and by so doing put up their ninth double for the season and also added two more points to their record so that all they now need is a point from Grimsby to fulfill their ambition of 60 points for the season. Everton have a big week ahead for today are at Northampton playing a friendly for the benefit of an unfortunate player, and on Wednesday they meet Linfield in Belfast while on Saturday they have to keep their League fixture with Grimsby Town. The club has not given up the idea of a Continental tour, for there is still a possibility that games may be played in Switzerland, France and Holland but any more than that I cannot say for negotiation are still being carried on. The game with the Villa was an easy going affair, particularly so after Everton had taken a three goal lead in the first half hour, for the Villains never at any time showed their teeth. It was an entertaining game for the field play of both teams was quite good; some excellent rounds of passing being indulged in, but there was no finality about the Aston Villa forwards. They could not find a true line with their shots; one in some part to their run failings in others to the sound defence of the Everton rear line. Bentham is not looked upon as a scorer of goals. If he had never scored a single goal throughout the season it would not have mattered for it is the other side of his play which had been his value to the side this season. On yes, he has scored some valuable goals at times, but he will never score a better if he play from now until Doomsday. He took a uncertain ball got it under control although challenged and then shot it hard to the back of the net, Rutherford being left helpless. He had turned in the third, for it was from his header that a Villa full back handled, on the goalline, and of course, ace penalty taker Cook rammed the ball into the net. The second goal was a header flick by Gillick, who head in the centre to take Caskie’s free kick. Rutherford came out to punch clear, but was just that fraction of a second too late, for instead of connection with the ball he connected with Gillick’s head and the Scot was knocked out as certain as Joe Louis outs em away. He resume some minutes later.

Northants Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 02 May 1939
And Help to Raise £471 Gate for Russell
Clifford and Thayne Shine
Many football fans get rather scornful of the friendly game and want a bit of convincing that it can produce the prettiest type of football.  Those who contribution the £ 471 14s  at the gate at the Russell Fund match at Northampton last night will have a kindler view of a non-competitive football, and have a word of congratulation to the club on the so successful organiastion of the game, and particularly to Mr. Cresswell in getting his old club down for the occasion.  One expects a lot from the League champions, and Everton gave it us.  Scoffers might say that some of their finishing was a bit erractic, but what glorious approach work we saw.  For the most part it was played on the short passing phase, with all the forwards well up and the wing halves in close support.  Everton showed us how this can produce delightful football, at top speed and something of the modern quick positional changes for which they are famed.  They pranced here and there, sometimes nicely flicking the ball to a collague, sometimes even leaving it dead for an oncoming partner.  Every pass seemed to have its purpose.  It brought no goals up to the interval, but that did not mean there was no punch; rather it was a tribute to Northampton’s defence.  Clifford saved four or five fine shots.  Theyne strove might and main to put spokes in the Everton wheel and did it most effectively.   Nor was the game ever really one-sided, for the young Northampton forwards once they settled down showed they, too, could dance their way to attack and actually their shooting was more forceful
Cobblers Lead
What a shout when the Cobblers took the first trick in the game, Barron finishing up with a fine second-attempt goal.  The lead was not held for long, for the speedy Gillick, who had gone inside to allow Jones (Injured) to play outside-right, got a neat equalizer, and then Lawton, who had been very closely watched, tested Clifford, who saved once but was beaten with another  shot.  Back went the Cobblers to a brave effort to get on terms again and two or three times it was touch and go. The big thrill of the closing stages was a double save by Sagar from Hurel. So though Everton won and had greater polish, the Cobblers made great fight. The forward line got back to the form they showed when the youth policy was first tried and all worked splendidly, with Ellwood doing much of the scheming, Jennings making deft passes, and Hurel and the wings showing capital pace and dash. Blunt and Postlethwaite, particularly the former, rose to the occasion.
Yet I thought it was the defence that impressed most. Thayne's display must bring the decision to let him go under fresh review. There was nothing of the veteran about it. McCullough and O'Rourke were plucky and accurate, while young Clifford covered himself with glory. And those Everton stars did give us some artistic football. They perhaps left a bit too much to the closely marked Lawton, but what a centre this lad is. One typical instance: a flashing header was worth going a long way to see. Then there was Gillick flashing along one wing and Carter on the other; speed and ball control both top class. And Boyes and Bentham (till he had to centre-half), skilful builders of openings. My hero, however, was Mercer. He has been called the best constructive half in the game, and that was the reputation he lived up to, varying his play with perfect judgment and hardly wasting pass. Till injured, Jones was an ideal centre-half, and the defenders were good, too. So many thanks, Everton, for a rich treat. You may have let us down lightly but you showed us real soccer at its best. Northampton: Clifford; McCullough and O’Rourke; Blunt, Thayne and Postlethwaite; King, Jennings, Hurd, Ellwood and Barron. Everton; Sagar; Cook and Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones and Thomson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Boyes and Caskie, Referee, Mr. G. C. Denton (Northampton). I understand that with collections on the ground sum of £500 will be available for the fund. In all probability the same Northampton side will do duty at Corby in the Maunsell Cup final replay on Thursday.

Northampton 1 Everton 2
May 2 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Benefit match, gate of £ 471
Northampton, lowly third division side, gave Everton a thoroughly good game, when the league champions paid a visit last night to play a friendly game in aid of Russell, Northampton full back, who had had a leg amputated. In winning by two goals to one, Everton gave a sparkling display such as is seldom seen at the Midland town. The home team however, once they had settled down to the importance of the occasion, did not compare at all unfavorably. From a financial, as well as a playing stand point the match which was arranged by Mr. W Cresswell, the form Everton player, who is manager was a success, for a gate of £471 was realized. Everton played entertaining short-passing football, but were unable to score in the first half mainly because of the effective marking of Lawton by Thayne, and the splendid goalkeeping of Clifford. It was Northampton who opened the scoring, Barron, one of their most persevering young forwards, getting a goal 15 minutes after the interval. Ten minutes later by Gillick equalized from a perfect pass by Mercer and the winning goal came from Lawton after a further interval of ten minutes, Mercer Gillick and Boyes were Everton’s players who individually best showed the Northampton ground the polish of first division football, but the teamwork as a whole also demonstrated this cleverly although they were not so impressive in front of goal the Championship gave real pleasure by the calm and effective methods with the approached Northampton forwards too, laded finishing poor or otherwise they must have scored several goals. Their defence was sound. Northampton:- Clifford goal, McCullough and O’Rourke backs, Blunt Thayne and Postlethwaite half-backs, King, Jennings, Hurel (e), Ellwood and Barron forwards, Everton:- Sagar goal Cook and Greenhalgh, backs, Mercer, Jones (tg), and Thomson (captain), half-backs, Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Boyes, and Caskie, forwards. Tomorrow Everton meet Linfield at Belfast the Club has not given up the idea of a continal tour, for there is still a possibility that games, may be played in Switzerland, France and Holland.

May 3, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
The performance of Everton “B” team last week against the Mujacs, was such that there is sure to be a good attendance at Goodison Park, tomorrow, evening, to see the youngsters competing themselves again on the senior ground. This time they meet Litherland Boys’ Club in the final of the J.O.C. knock out competition for a trophy presented by Liverpool F.C. The clever play of these tars of the future is a revelation, and well worth seeing. The kick-off is 7 p.m. Everton “B” will field the following side: - Canavan; Ireland, Dugdale; Sherett, Beardwood, Rigby; Sumner, Burkas, Price, Lyons, and Bailey.

May 3 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
For their final match at Grimsby Town on Saturday Everton will have their full side to endeavour to gain a points to bring the record for the season up to 60. Grimsby Town team is a strong one and on their own ground are always difficult to master. Against Linfield at Belfast to-day Caskie will appear in the right wing. The teams is Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Watson Jones, Thomson, Caskie, Bentham Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. The reserves team to play at Hereford in a friendly match on Saturday is Martin Jackson, Jones, Britton, Gee, Milligan, Barber, Cunliffe, Bell Sharp, Keenan. A resolution was passed by the Everton board of directors last night to support Alderman Gates for the forthcoming election.

May 3, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton will have Boyes, now recovered from his injury, at outside left for their last game of the season, at Grimsby on Saturday. Caskie has to join the Scottish side on Friday evening for their departure on the Canadian tour. Otherwise the side is unchanged viz; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
The Everton board of directors last night passed a resolution to support Alderman Gate’s candidature at the annual meeting. I understand the decision was not unanimous and that four of the nine directors of the club support the candidature of Mr. Albert N. Denaro, chairman of the Shareholders Association, who is opposing Alderman Gates.

May 3, 1939. The Evening Express.
Wally Boyes, Everton’s international outside-left returns to the Football League team to face Grimsby Town at Blundell Park on Saturday. Boyes damaged a knee on Good Friday at Sunderland and it was thought he would not play again this season. He was given a run at inside-left at Northampton on Monday, however, and so comes back for Caskie, who will be returning to Scotland to prepare for his forthcoming tour of Canada with the Scottish team. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Everton are sending a team to play Hereford on Saturday in an exhibition match. Everton; Morton; Jackson, Jones; Britton, Gee, Milligan; Barber, Cunliffe, Bell, Sharp, Keenan.

Liverpool Evening Express - Wednesday 03 May 1939
Wally Boyes, Everton’s international outside-left returns to the Football League team to face Grimsby Town at Blundell Park on Saturday. Boyes damaged a knee on Good Friday at Sunderland and it was thought he would not play again this He was given a run at inside-left at Northampton on Monday, however, and so comes back for Caskie, who will be returning to Scotland to prepare for his forthcoming tour of Canada with the Scottish team. EVERTON: Sagar; Cook, Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Everton are sending a team to play Hereford on Saturday in an exhibition match. EVERTON— Martin; .Jackson. Jones; Britton. Gee, Milligan; Barber, Cunliffe, Beil. Sharp. Keenan.

Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 04 May 1939
Bentham, Everton’a insideright, has been in the wars again. When playing for the Blues against Linfield, Belfast, last night, received another cut in the head. Two stitches had to be inserted in the wound, but he will fit for Saturday's match against Grimsby Town at Blundell Park. Everton drew 1-1 with Linfleld in a hard game, in which the Irish side served up some good football. The Blues were handicapped with Bentham off, but after Brownlow had given Linfield the lead, Lawton equalised.

Linfield 1 Everton 1
May 4 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Everton did not enhance their good name with the Irish fans, when they met Linfield the Irish Cup winners. The truth is the Champions were fortunate to get away with a draw, and the 15,000 spectators were much disappointed. Bentham sustained a nasty cut above the right eye early in the second half, and retired, but this handicapped could not be made, the excuse for such a mediocre showing. The clever control and positional play that was expected from the Goodison Park combination was almost entirety absent, and the forward work was moderate. The home goalkeeper did not get a really dangerous shot to stop throughout and had not the Linfield defence got into a tangle to allow Lawton to score Everton would probably have been beaten. The Irishmen left a much better impression than their more famous rivals. Some of their footwork and combination was up to a high standard but what perhaps troubled Everton more than anything was the keen and accurate tackling of the home half-backs. They never allowed the English side to settle on the ball and were of more assistance to their forwards them Everton trio. Brownlow, the Linfield reserve forward secured their goal five minutes after the interval, and a good goal it was. He went dashing in at the right moment to head a centre from the left past Sagar. Everton took things a bit easy until they lost Bentham, when they went all out to win but the Irish defence were not making any more blunted and held out to the end. Caskie, Jones, and Sagar were the only Everton players to live up to their reputations.
Linfield:- Doak goal, Thompson, and Richardson, backs, Waddell, Perry, and Rosbotham, half-backs, Brownlow, Donnelly, Marshall, Finlay and McCormick forwards. Everton:- Sagar, goal, Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs, Watson, Jones (tg) and Thomson (captain), half-backs, Caskie, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson Boyes, forwards.

May 4 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
The Everton ‘’B’’ team in their first season of football have already won the Bootle J.C.C (Under 17) League championship and last night at Goodison Park, before a gate of over 6,500 spectators, who paid nearly £77 gained further honours when they defeated the Litherland Boys club for the Liverpool Football club trophy by 3-1. Price (4 mins), Bailey (20 mins), and Lyon (23 mins) scored in the first half. Hampson scored for Litherland from a penalty in the last few minutes. Dugdale Beardsmore, Lyon and Bailey played a prominent part in Everton success While Lennan Sands and J Wood, were good workers for their opponents. Councilor Webster president of the Bootle J.C.C League presented the trophy to Everton.

May 5, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
Everton make their last journey of the present season, and although they are champions, they will not be content unless they get that point to bring their season’s total apt to sixty points. That is their ambition, so they will not be taking things easy at Blundell Park. Last week, they gave a splendid exhibition of high-class football. They could have left themselves go, as there was nothing hanging in the balance, and as consequence the game, a purely artiste standpoint, was attractive. Some would have liked more 2bite” in the play, but as Everton stood with three goals to their credit in half an hour, was there any reason to let themselves go all out? They will have to pull out a bit more tomorrow, for Grimsby Town are difficult foemen on their own ground, and although they themselves have nothing to win or lose, they would dearly to take two points from the champions. That is always the desire. They get a big kick out of beating the champions; it is something to crow about so the Town are not likely to be taking things for granted tomorrow.
Boyes Comes Back.
Everton have chosen the same team which played against Northampton on Monday, one change being made from the side which accounted for the Villa. Boyes comes back after his injury at Sunderland on Good Friday. His play against Northampton left no doubt that his leg is completely recovered, so the team is almost the same which set out in august last on its championship bid. Everton have been remarkably free from injury this season, only 17 players being called upon. Another “double” can be won by a victory over the Town, which will bring their figure up to ten, surely a record, for Everton in the matter of “double” events.” It is not going to be a simple matter to get that required points, for the Grimsby team’s defence, is one of the best in the land, and if their forwards can get going they can be a very effective side. Lawton who heads the goal-scoring list by a single goal over Fenton, the Middlesbrough centre forward will be all out to maintain that lead, and so be the top scorer for two years in succession. He must make no mistake, for one goal is a slender lead, and Middlesbrough have another engagement and Fenton is bound to be out to rob Lawton’ of top place. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

May 5, 1939. Evening Express.
One At Grimsby Is All they Need.
By Pilot.
One point for Everton at Grimsby tomorrow, the final day of the 1938-39 football term, ill set the seal on the Blues’ triumphant season. Everton worthy Football League Champions, have never before reached a total of 60 points in the First Division. One point tomorrow will do the trick. In addition, Everton have a great chance of completing their tenth “double” of the season. So far the Champions have taken full points from Blackpool, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Leeds United, Manchester United, Chelsea and Sunderland. When Grimsby visited Goodison Park early in the season, the Blues won by three clear goals, but Town are a much better side now than then, and with power at half-back this should prove an exciting duel. It is because Everton are more effective in front of goal that I expect them to escape defeat. The Blues will have Wally Boyes back at outside left in place of Caskie. Boye’s knee has yielded to treatment and he had two successful runs in friendly games this week. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 06 May 1939
JOCK Thomson, Everton’s captain, is having a golfingholiday again this summer. He has arranged to spend two months at his favourite Carnoustie.

Everton ‘’A’’ 1 Skersmersdale United 0
May 6 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Mr. WC Gibbins, president of the Liverpool County Combination presented the League championship to Skerlmersdale last night at the conclusion of a game with Everton. As the runners up Everton scored their goal almost on the interval and generally they were a better balanced side them Skermersdale who were forced to field reserves because Wilson and Holt are on the injured list. Sweeney scored the goal for Everton.

May 6 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
Everton are to tour the continent. They will plat three games in Switzerland, and two in Rotterdam. The dates and venues are May 18 Geneva, Biele 24, Zurich and 26 and 28 Rotterdam

May 6, 1939. The Liverpool Football Echo
A Fine Double By Glover.
A Boyes Claim
By stork.
A nice game of football, with Grimsby the better team. They should have had more than three goals. Everton had to be satisfied with the 59 points. Grimsby Town: - Tweedy, goal; Vincent and Hodgson, backs; Hall, Betmead, and Buck, half-backs; Boyd, Beattie, Glover, Jones (T.), and Crack, forwards. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Referee Mr. Bartram (Renton). Everton were at Grimsby in search of a point, not that it was vital, but it is their ambition to get 60 pts, and a draw would do it. Everton deny they have any interest in any Halifax Town player one has been reported. The ground had been watered overnight, but it had been saturated. In fact was just right for good football. Bentham had his right eyebrow heavily plastered and Gillick, who had a heavy cold yesterday, was found to be fit this morning, so that Barber was not required. Grimsby took the lead in four minutes after Hodgson had checked the Everton right wing. Hall took up the clearance and slipped the ball through to Glover. He made no effort to kill the ball, but hit it as it ran alongside him, and Sagar was beaten. Boyes went close, and when Boyd ran through it looked troublesome. Stevenson with a beautiful pass sent Gillick away, and the Scot ran close to the line before he squared the ball right across the Grimsby goal. Fortunately for the Town, Vincent got his foot to the ball and turned it over for a corner just as Lawton was cutting in to tap the ball into the net. Gillick and Bentham indulged in some smart inter-passing and Stevenson used the scissors pass to effect. Tweedy once shouted to Vincent to leave it to him, but the back took no notice, and appeared likely to make a clearance.
Was The Ball Over?
Vincent, however, lost the ball and Boyes snapped it up, cut close in and shot, and from my view the ball certainly looked as if it had gone over the line when it was “belted” out. Boyes ran after the referee to force his claim, but Dr. Barton turned a deaf ear to his appeal. Grimsby then tested the Everton defence without calling on Sagar. Lawton put two simple headers goalwards, but they were not the type likely to beat Tweedy. Lawton tried one of his big gun shots, which flew outside. Gillick was nicely placed by Jones, but delayed his shot and Hodgson cleared. Glover hooked the ball over Cook’s head to open a way for Crack, whose centre was pulled so far back that it became an Everton ball instead of any use to Glover who had run into position for the return. Mercer dribbled his way round three men and then supplied Gillick with the ball. The outside right could not get a full-blooded drive, so the ball went over the bar. Betmead’s height helped him to turn a Boyes corner out of the goalmouth. A corner to Grimsby saw Beattie shoot a bouncing ball for goal, Sagar saying, Lawton and Betmead came into collision in the air and hurt their heads. Tweedy showed his confidence when he caught a centre at the post with Bentham right on top of him. Boyd sent the ball over the Everton crossbar and Boyes was unfortunate to see his ball run away from him at express speed after he had taken up good position. Hall tried a hard shot which struck Stevenson on the back, Sagar saving, Glover, Beattie and Crack made up a three-piece suite which was not only pretty but effective, for it brought work for Sagar. Glover had given a grand display of judicious football. Just on the interval he hit the post with a terrific shot. Grimsby were now attacking strongly hereabouts, the Everton defence having to do a lot of running about.
Half-Time –Grimsby town 1, Everton 0.
Everton resumed with a thrust on the right wing which came to end when Stevenson’s shot rattled up against a defender. There was some nice football, carefree perhaps, but with a charm about it. A Cook free kick passed over the heads of a dozen players in the Grimsby goalmouth with the exception of Boyes, who handled in his effort to get the ball down to his toes.
Power Of Lawton’s Shot.
Bentham with an the middle pass, gave Lawton an opportunity to get the better of Betmead. The England leader was challenged over step he made, and when his shot cracked up against the boarding the home folk got some idea as to the power of Lawton’s shot. Sagar made a good save from Glover shortly afterwards. The Grimsby goal had an escape when Boyes trickled Vincent on the touch line and out in to lob the ball under the Town bar, Tweedy saving just as he was charged by Lawton. Bentham collected the clearance, but took too long in getting the ball under control, so that when he shot his way to goal was barred. Hodgson ran up amongst the forwards to no effect, and Crack did not respond as he should have done with the opportunities given to him. Gillick and Bentham shot wide, so that the equaliser was as far distant as ever. Sagar punched away a bouncing ball which Beattie tried to drop kick into the net without success. Lawton had little chance of beating Betmead in the air, where the tall centre half was supreme. Beattie and Boyd made the play and Glover found himself with only Sagar head of him. The goalkeeper came out the only thing he could do, Glover tapping the ball aside of him into the net at 75 minutes. Final Grimsby Town 3, Everton 0.

May 6, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Victors And Vanquished Have Praised Their Play
All-Conquering Consistency.
By Stork.
The curtain drops on another football season, with practically every problem sealed, signed and settled, and what had it taught us? That good class football will always pay for itself. Everton have won the championship, despite all opposition, by the best type of football, and have made friends whenever they have been. It is easy to pay tribute a team’s football when the eulogizers of Everton’s play have won the match, but when a side has been beaten and the vanquished have come along with their congratulations then the praise is worth something. Many times this season have I known the losing directors come along and offer their respects to a good side. Yes, Everton have been that in victory and defeat. Everton’s success has been achieved by wholehearted effort. No one man has brought them their success as has been the case in so many championship winning sides. Lawton, because of his scoring feats must of necessity come in for high praise, but none can say that Everton has been a one man band. This season. Unanimity of purpose has done the trick which only goes to show what can be done when there is happiness among the lads; what can be done when a team is composed of players who put team spirit before any anything else. Individuality has a part in football but it is team spirit which pulls off championships. No one man can win the football title. There must be a united whole. A one-for-all and all for-one feeling, and Everton have had that feeling among them since they took part in the Scottish games last may. It was there that the foundation stone was laid to this season’s greatness. There it was their scheme wore laid and they were hatched out this season. It is no secret that Everton want to the exhibition matches with little thought of success, but when they beat the famous Celtic in the first round they gained a belief in themselves and team spirit which has been present throughout the last eight months. When Cunliffe, who made quite a name for himself at Glasgow was injured in the first game it seemed that Everton had suffered a knockout blow, but his injury brought to light Stanley Bentham, who had been hibernating in the second string. Many shock their heads when his name appeared in the first at the season’s team sheets. He was not good enough,” It was said. But Bentham has been more than good enough. He has been one of the successes of the side. Forget that he has not scored many goals, but remember that he would work his toes to the bone for the good of his colleagues. Those who saw the Everton-Wolves League got to know Bentham’s a real value that day. He was a sadly missed man. There was nobody to do “donkey” work for an inside forward has to be an extra half back these days. Bentham has been more than that, he has been a full back, and goal-keeping would not have come miss to him had it been necessary. He has been in the wars, and bears the scars of battle all over his top-piece, but they cannot curb him. Give him plenty of work and he is happy. His football has improved, and he is now as much a part of the Everton team as Lawton or anyone else. Bentham has undoubtedly made good. Another forward who has impressed is Gillick. I took him a long time to produce his Rangers’ form, but this season he shown of what he is capable. It has often been said that “The Rangers do not let a good one go.” Well they let a good one go when they released Gillick. Since he became the recognized outside right he has played so well that it is doubtful whether there is a better. Some might plump for Matthews the juggler of football, I would prefer Gillick became he is a better team man. Matthews is without doubt a grand worker of the ball, but the Scot gives more service to a team, and once his colleagues had accepted his plan of running into the middle, many goals have been the reward. It was not my intention to individualize the players, but I could not refrain from naming Bentham and Gillick, so I will now pay tribute to the team as a whole. They have been a consistent eleven start to finish. Occasionally a player has had n off day –don’t we all? But, generally speaking there has been an astounding absence of the “staleness” which smites players round about Match and April. Lawton is likely to be League top-scorer. He has scored 34 League goals to date with power to add to that number. His nearest rival are Fenton the Middlesbrough centre forward, with 33, and Hunt of Carlisle 32. Should Lawton top the poll it will be the second time in succession that he has done so. I don’t think any other player can claim that honour. Of course, can claim that honour. Of course, he has scored many other goals in international, inter league, and friendly games, his grand total being 51. The last time Everton won the championship they toiled from 13th position in early September. This season they have never been lower than second; that speaks for itself. Consistency has been their strong point. They had reason to be rattled when Derby County knocked them off their pedestal when Wolverhampton Wanderers threatened to overtake them, but they remained unruffied throughout the most trying period, and won through by the quality of their football. They have already put up a club record for points, 59 points out of a maximum of 84. Their previous total are 56 pts (1931-32), max 84;53 points (1927-28), max 84; 46 pts (1914-15), max 76; 29 pts (1890-91) max 44. Other 60 (to which Everton might attain today) are Arsenal 66 (1930-31); Wednesday 60 (1929-30), Liverpool 60 (1922-23); West Bromwich Albion 60 (1919-20).

Grimsby Town 3 Everton 0 (Game 1688 over-all)-(Div 1646)
May 8 1939. The Daily Post
Everton failed to touch 60 points for the season at Grimsby, who surprised the champions by winning 3-0. The game had no vital issue but Everton were anxious to take at least one point from their meeting, and they had the chance to do so, but the town were the more lively team, and their sound defence-all tall men-would not yield to the Everton forwards. Everton had played four games in eight days, and there was not the snap about their play, at least they were not so nippy as their opponents, who kept the game from being an end-of-the-season.'’ favour. They football was good quality and the sporting crowd were not slow to acknowledge the many fine movements the game produced. Naturally the were delighted to see their favorites defeat the champions in so convincing a manner. Glover the welsh international forward, who is on the transfer list, scored two good goals, and showed that he is far from a spent force, but I cannot get it out of my mind that Everton were not pulling out all they knew. Had they equalized when Boyes rammed in a shot which went behind the goalkeeper, and was actually handled out of the net by Hodgson a different tale might have had to be told. I am certain the ball was over the line, and so far that matter were most of the Grimsby people, but the referee would not listen to the appeals made by Boyes. Who told me afterwards that the ball was a yard of more over the line. If it was than, what about a penalty ? surely a full back handling the ball, out must conceded a spot kick, it may be claimed that he breasted the ball out, but that was not in view, nor the view of many of the thousand present. Glover’s first goal was a peach, Hall put the ball up to him, and without endeavoring to ‘’kill’’ the ball Glover allowed it to travel forward and then he hit it into the net, It was done so quickly that many were unaware that the ball had ‘’found’’ the net. His second goal came through a defensive slip which put Sagar’’ on the spot.’’ The goalkeeper came out-the only way he could do in the circumstances-but Glover glides the ball past him and into the net. With a few minutes remaining for play Beattie and Boyd changed places, and when the former swept the ball into the goalmouth Boyd, turned it into the net. So a nice game of football came to end and Lawton found the height of the Grimsby defence a handicap. Betmead was always his master in the air, so that Lawton got few chances, he wanted to score to retain the head of the scorers list, but Fenton of Middlesbrough share the honours with him, each with 34 goals. Grimsby finished off the match in a blaze of glory. They pinned in Everton, and should have taken other goals Glover missed one from 2 yards, and Jones one of similar length. Grimsby played top class football, and with a bit of luck they should do even better in 1939-40. Grimsby Town: - Tweedy, goal, Vincent and Hodgson, backs; Hall, Betmead, and Buck, half-backs; Boyd, Beattie, Glover, Jones (T.), and Crack, forwards. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Referee Mr. Bartram (Renton). Attendance 11,016

Hereford United 0 Everton Reserves 6
May 8 1939. The Daily Post
Everton sent a strong side including four internations to Hereford to play Hereford United, part of the transfer of Keenan to Everton. Earlier in the season, and a crowd of about 5,000 saw the visitors win by goals scored by Bell (2), Sharp (2), Kennan, And Sweeney, and they generally give a brilliant exhibition of football. Everton Team:- Martin goal, Jackson, and Jones (je), backs, Britton Gee, and Milligan half-backs, Sweeney, Cunliffe, Bell , Sharp and Keenan

Everton ‘’A’’ 3 UGB (St Helens) 1
May 8 1939 The Daily Post
Griffiths scored three goals for the Everton, Edwards, Jack Davies and Johnson were prominent for Everton with Duckworth, Sharrich and Platt outstanding for UGB.
Everton Team:- Lovett, goal, Prescott, and Lambert, backs, Saunders, Hill (m), and Edwards half-backs, Davies (jack), Johnson (a), Dean (k) , Catterick Grithits (f) and Davies (Joe)

May 8, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
Pat Glover, Grimsby Town’s centre forward, who is on the transfer list, scored two goals against Everton on Saturday who, therefore, failed to fulfill their ambition of scoring sixty points to conclude the season. Glover may not be so speedy these days, but he still knows where the goal is situation. The first shot was made so quickly that many did not see the ball go into the net, yet I have a feeling that had Everton’s defence been on its mettle Grimsby would not have scored such a clean out victory. The championship was in safe keeping and it was not of paramount importance that they got that sixtieth point or not. It was only a personal desire, and there were no heartbreaks when it failed to materialize. The football was good. It may not have been pulled throbbing, but some of the movements on both sides lifted the game out of the rut –the end of the season rut, which time of day is very prevalent I thought Everton were feeling the effects of their heavy week –four games in eight days. When they found they could not catch up with Grimsby’s lead they did not bale for the ball as they would have done had there been any reason to do so. This naturally enabled the Town to finish the season on the top note –the beating of the champions is always a gratifying win. I thought the referee, Dr. Barton, guilty of a bad mistake when he ignored an appeal for a goal when Boye’s shot for goal. No one will ever convince me that the ball did not pass over the line before it was “handled” out by Hodgson. It actually passed behind Tweedy who was standing on his goal line. Boyes tells me that the ball was a good yard over and even though he may be wrong what about the handling case? Surely it was a just case for a penalty kick. The referee was the only person on the ground who did not think it a perfect goal. That goal would have leveled matters but the disallowing of it took some of Everton’s interest put of the game. Grimsby may have been made to look better than they were. One was called out. Where are the champions” The answer came in a flash.” They are leading 2-0.” Grimsby put more into their game than the champions, who found the Town defence as keen as on the penning day of the season. Betmead, Hodgson, and Vincent rarely put a foot wrong, and Lawton, who was anxious to get a goal to keep himself ahead of Fenton, found Betmend’s height a barrier. Lawton, therefore, was unable to annex a goal, so shares topmost honours with the Middlesbrough man at 34 goals apiece. Let me tell you one of the best football stories of the season. Grimsby had lost their opening game and things were looking bad. Then came the game with Sunderland, which was drawn. As the final whistle blew Mr. Clark, one of the directors exclaimed, “Well, that’s the slam off.” These Grimsby people have great sports. As usual they were kindness itself to the Everton members and it is not to wondered at that they have the same throughout the football world the most hospitable in the League. I saw Freddie Howe, the former Liverpool centre forward, who played a big part in lifting Grimsby from the bottom of the table. The Town folk are very pleased with him, and he is very pleased with the Grimsby club, with whom he says he is very happy. He is just recovering from a throat complaint.

May 8, 1939. Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Everton won the First Division championship with four points in hand –a remarkable performance in view of the fact that on January they were five points behind the leaders. The brilliance of Everton’s performance in the second half of the season it emphasized by the fact that whereas they began the year five points behind Derby County they finished 13 points in front of the “Rams”. This has been one of the best seasons in Everton’s glorious history, for throughout the players have followed the path of true football. Norman Greenhalgh is the only “ever-present” Internationals calls deprived others of this honour. At Grimsby on Saturday, the champions were beaten by three clear goals but even the Grimsby people recognized their outstanding ability and were high in their praises. This game marked the end of Pat Glover career as a Town player and he celebrated with two goals, Boyd secured the other.

May 9, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Joseph Davies, a 20 year old outside left who has been with Everton for two seasons, has been signed by New Brighton. Davies who is the scored forward to be signed by the Rakers in two days had a season and a half with Everton, joining as an amateur and later becoming a professional. He is 5ft 10 ½ ins, height and weights 11 stone. He joined Everton from Haydock Athletic, the Liverpool County Combination side, and has made frequent appearances in the Central league team.

Liverpool Daily Post - Wednesday 10 May 1939
 Joseph Davies, 20-years old outside loft, who has been with Everton for two seasons, has been signed by New Brighton.

May 11, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Business at the Everton Shareholders’ Association annual meeting, last evening was mainly formal. The various report were passed without comment, and offices re-elected, including Mr. A. Coffey as president, Messrs, W. Gibbins, G. Evans, and W.R. Williams all directors of the Everton club vice-president and Mr. A. Denaro chairman. The executive committee of eight –which held twenty-seven meetings during the past year was increased to twenty by the addition of Messrs J.A. Davies, Tom Taylor, F.K. Smith, R.H. Jones, W.H. Tickle, A. Rhyne, T.E. Taylor, A. Crosbie, J. Livesey, R. Perveril, F. Taylor, and A. Evans. Mr. R.E. Searle who presided, in the unavoidable absence of Mr. Deanro, refereed to the recent resignation from the association of Mr. Ernest Green, chairman of the Everton club, and said that a year ago, before he was elected to his present position, Mr. Green had express himself very definitely as being against the co-option of directors to the board. He (Mr. Searle) was unaware of what had caused the chairman to change his views, for the association had played the game all along, and had only stuck to its principle. He regarded this latest developed as the thin end of the edge in an attend to break the association. He was confident however, that it would not success and that their candidate would be returned at the annual meeting.
• Harry Makepeace, Lancashire’s coach and former Everton footballer, yesterday underwent an operation for appendicitis at Birkenhead General Hospital. This morning’s report is “fairly comfortable.”

Liverpool Evening Express - Wednesday 10 May 1939
Five directors of the Everton Football Club, Ltd., today issued a letter asking shareholders of the club to sign proxies in connection with the three vacancies on the Board. The proxies are issued in the names of Mr. Ernest Green (club chairman) and Mr. W. C. Cuff, a director, who was chairman until last year (writes Watcher). The five signatories to the letter are Messrs. E. Green, W. C. Cuff, T. Percy, Dr. C. S. Baxter and Alderman A. Gates. The retiring directors are Messrs. W. C. Cuff, A. Coffey and Alderman A. Gates. It is to be regretted, having regard to the magnificent season the club has had, both from a playing and financial point of view, that a section of the members have intimated their intention of opposing Alderman A. Gates, one of the three directors who seek re-election,” states the letter. “We believe that the majority of the shareholders are well satisfied with the present conduct of the affairs of the club, and representing a majority of the Board as we do, we respectfully ask you to show your approval by signing and returning the enclosed proxy at your very earliest convenience. You will observe that the proxy is in the names of Mr. Ernest Green, the present chairman of the club, and Mr. W. C. Cuff, president-designate of the Football League, and have no doubt that you will consider that this is a sufficient guarantee that the best interests of our great club are in safe keeping."

May 11, 1939. Evening Express.
Another Association Formed.
By Pilot.
Another association of shareholders is to be formed. This is the latest development in the affairs of Everton, champion First Division club. Early next week, shareholders of the club will hold a meeting to form what is testament to a shareholders. Protection association. One of the promoters said to me that there were many shareholders who wanted to prevent the club being controlled by any one body. So there will be two associations –in addition to many shareholders who will not be connected with either organization.
Annual Meeting.
There are busy days ahead for all those interested in the elections to the Board before the annual meeting on June 29. Proxy forms are out, and canvassing has begun in earnest. The majority of the Board are supporting Messrs W.C. Cuff, and A. Coffey and Alderman A. Gates, while the Shareholders’ association, determined to oppose all directors who were co-opted to the Board, are supporting Messrs W.C. Cuff, A. Coffey, A. Coffey and A. Denaro, with Mr. Winfield also promised in case of any withdrawal.
Shareholders’ Meeting.
Mr. Dick Searle presided at the annual meeting of the Everton shareholders Association last night, and, referring to the circular issued by five minutes of the directorate said. “ This may be the thin end of the wedge to break this Association. They might think we are getting too strong for them, but we shall win the election.” Mr. Searle said that the chairman Mr. Ernest Green, had resigned membership of the Shareholders’ Association. The following officers were elected:- President Mr. A. Coffey, vice president, Messrs W.G. Gibbins, G. Evans, and W.R. Williams, chairman, Mr. A. Denaro, vice-chairman, Mr. R. Searle; hon secretary, Mr. A. Lomax; hon treasurer Mr. R. Taylor, hon auditor Mr. Richard Taylor, Alderman to committee Messrs J.A. Davies, T. Taylor, F.R. Smith, P.H, Jones, W.H. Tickle, A. Rhyne, T. E. Taylor, A. Crosbie, J.Lievesey, R. Peveril, F. Taylor, A. Evans.

Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 13 May 1939
Everton today signed as professionals four amateurs who have played regularly with the “A” team. They are Maurice Hill (right-half), Kenneth Dean (inside-right), Albert Johnson (outside-right) and Frank Griffiths (inside left).

Everton stuff
Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 13 May 1939
I am surprised that no club has yet come forward to sign Harry Morton, the Everton goalkeeper w ho is on offer at nominal fee. Morton came to Goodison from Aston Villa for £l.OOO and has proved a splendid servant. He stepped into the breach when Ted Sugar underwent his cartilage operation, and was a consistent performer up to the time the Blues decided to experiment with their young goalkeepers, Barnett and Lovett.
Mr. Ernest Green, chairman of Everton Football Club, sends the following letter to regarding the forthcoming election for seats on the club directorate; attention has been called to the statement Mr. R. E. Searle, vice-chairman of the Everton Shareholders’ Association in which Mr. Searle informed the members of the Association that a year ago I expressed myself very definitely as being against the co-option of directors the Board. I hasten to contradict this assertion at the earliest possible moment because I have no recollection of ever having made such a statement or indeed or having expressed any views any sort relative to the cooption or otherwise of directors to the Board. “It is obvious that Mr. Searle is labouring under misapprehension, and in view of the importance of this matter I should like to make this known publicly. I would add that the present director who is being opposed, Alderman A. Gates, J.P., has rendered excellent service to the Board during his period of office having been regular attender of both Board and Finance Committee meetings, and my whole attitude has been that it cannot possibly be in the interests of the club to endeavour to unseat perfectly competent director at the conclusion of period during which the club has won the championship of the League and has made a wonderful financial profit.’’

May 15 1939
Lawton and Mercer played for England at Italy Milan in a 2-2 draw at the San Siro stadium in front of 60,000. Lawton scored (10 minutes) from a corner.

May 15, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
We just cannot get away from football. All things considered England’s draw with Italy to which Lawton contribution a goal and Mercer another starling exhibition of half back play was perhaps the most satisfactory result. Tomorrow Everton set off by early morning train on their long trek to Switzerland, while the Liverpool players come back to Anfield on Wednesday for a few days training preparation to their Scandinavia. Wales have come to the rescue of the French F.A. whose not over-full coffers received a heavy blow when the German game was cancelled. Everton have agreed to allow Tom Jones to play for Wales at Paris on May 21, if needed but as it would mean flying from Zurich I don’t think he will be in the side. Wales still probably rely instead on Hanford, of Sheffield Wednesday.
Mr. E. Green’s Denial.
Mr. Ernest Green chairman of Everton F.C. writes as follows: - “My attention has been called to the statement by Mr. R. E Searle vice chairman of the Everton Shareholders Association, in which Mr. Searle informed the members of the Association that a year ago I had expressed myself very definitely as being against the co-option of directors to the board. “I hasten to contradict this assertion as the earliest possible moment, as I have no recollection of ever having made such a statement, or, indeed, of having expressed any views of any sort relative to the co-option, or otherwise, of directors to the board. It’s obvious that Mr. Searle is laboring under a misapprehension. “I would add that the present director who is being opposed, namely Alderman A. gates, has rendered excellent service to the board during his period of office, having been a regular attender at both board and finance committee meetings, and my who attitude has been that it cannot possibly be in the interest of the club to endeavour to unseat a perfectly competent director at the conclusion of a period which the club has won the championship of the League and has made a wonderful financial profit.”

Good Luck, Blues
Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 15 May 1939
Everton set off tomorrow on another of their tours. This time they return to old friends in Switzerland, and go to make new friends in Holland. They will be without Tom Lawton and Joe Mercer, who, I am pleased to learn, did so well for England against Italy in Milan. The youngest in the party will be outside right. Barber. Lucky lad Barber, who came to Goodison Park on a trial only last August. Everton were going to give him one match, but he came prepared to stay fof a month. Everton accommodated him and have not regretted it. Torry Gillick goes, of course, but last week he had to have a minor operation on his nose. You will recall that he received an accidental blow on the nose during the Aston Villa game. Messrs. Ernest Green (chairman), W. C. Gibbins, G. Evans, and W. R. Williams are the directors in the party, with Mr. Theo. Kelly (secretary) there to superintend organisation. Three matches will be played in Switzerland and one in Rotterdam. Good luck. Blues.

Liverpool Evening Express- Tuesday 16 May 1939
Thirteen of the 15 Everton footballers who will play five matches on the Continent, during the next eleven days, left Lime-street Station, Liverpool, today (writes Watcher). They were: Jock Thomson (captain), Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Lindley, Tom Watson, Gillick, Stan. Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes, Barber. The other two players, Tom Lawton and Joe Mercer, will join the party in Holland. Tlie Everton players were accompanied by directors Mr. E. Green (chairman), Mr. W. C. Gibhins, Mr. G. Evans, and Mr. W. R. Williams, secretary Mr. Theo. Kelly, and trainer Harry Cooke. We are looking forward to a memorable trip. All the players are well, and ate in the highest were the parting words of Mr. Theo. Kelly.

May 16, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
I have an interesting letter this morning from Joe Mercer, written from Milan on the even of the match against Italy, in which Mercer so distinguished himself. Writes;- “The crossing from Dover to Calais was easy. I wish it was an easy to the Isle of Man; I would go more often. After passing through the Customs, we boarded the Simpon Orient express. It’s a terrible time to be on a train (18 ½ hours). We went via Switzerland, passing some of the most marvelous mountains and lakes, absolutely indescribable scenery. You have to see it to believe it, too grand and hugs to realize. When we stopped at Stress Borromes on Lake Maggiore, just on the Italian side of the frontier, we received a taste of the hospitality which has been shown us ever sinus we arrived in Italy. The people all came to the station, and the girls gave us bouquets of lovely flowers. It was unusual and nice friendly gesture, which made us feel at home immediately. But that was only a preliminary greeting to the one we received on arriving at Milan. There were thousands of people crowded on the platform, and for twenty minutes it was impossible to even get off the train. “I think we would have been there until now if the police had not arrived and given us an escort to our hotel. Then the crowd followed us and stood outside cheering until we showed ourselves. From what I gathered the main topic of conversation in Milan for the last few weeks has been the game on Saturday.
A Poor Pitch.
Afterwards we had a motor tour around the city, and I was very much impressed. The cathedral is marvelous. They also took us to the ground where Saturday’s match is to be played. The stands and their accommodation leave nothing to be desired, but what a playing pitch! I could be made into a good one, for there is plenty of grass on it. It has just been neglected. The ground is enclosed all around with wire-netting which looks very funny after ours at home. “Three Continental waiters are not used to seeing people have bacon and eggs for breakfast. They looked at us with surprise, the way we knocked it back. On Thursday morning we went to the Arena Civica for training where quite a crowd has gathered to see us go through our paces. The dressing rooms and bathrooms were marvelous plenty of showers, hot and cold and all latest fittings that go to make a perfect stripping room. “Later we visited the golf links and played a few holes, finishing off with the pictures at night, but as the talking was it Italian that was a “flop.” “Tommy Lawton and I have been picked for the match tomorrow and are looking forward to it. We shall do our best. All our lads are as serious about the game as the Italians. As I write this a terrific thunderstorm is waging outside. If the wet weather continues it will undoubtedly suit out type of play. All good wishes –Your Sincerely Joe Mercer.

May 16, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Watcher.
Thirteen of the 15 Everton footballers who will play five matches on the Continent during the next eleven days, left Lime Street Station, Liverpool today. –they were Jock Thomson, (captain), Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Lindley, Tom Jones, Watson, Gillick, Stan Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes, Barber. The other two players Tom Lawton and Joe Mercer, will join the party in Holland. The Everton players were companied by directors Mr. E. green (chairman), Mr. W. C. Gibbins, Mr. G. Evans, and Mr. W. R. Williams secretary Mr. Theo Kelly and trainer Harry Cooke. We are looking forward to a memorable trip. All the players are well and in the highest spirits were the parting words of Mr. Theo Kelly.

May 17 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
Everton Football Club players left lime street station yesterday for their tour of Switzerland and Holland. The party consisted of Mr. Ernest Green (chairman), Cook, Theo Kelly (secretary), Jones (tg), Thomson, Greenhalgh, Watson, Cooke (Trainer), Boyes, Bell Barber, Lindsay, Gillick, Bentham, Sagar, and Stevenson, Lawton and Mercer will join the party at Rotterdam at the conclusion of the FA Tour, (Britton, Jackson, Jones JE on tour in South Africa with Football League team.

May 18, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton play the first game of their Swiss tour this evening, when they meet a combined Servette-Grasshopper team (no relation to Preston Grasshoppers) at the Parddes Sport Charities, Geneva. It will be a pretty stiff test for the visitors coming right on top of a trill journey of something like nine hours yesterday. The Everton team and officials stayed in Paris on Tuesday evening leaving at 7.30 yesterday morning and only arriving at Genevalin the late afternoon. After the Geneva game they play Granges F.C at Granges on Saturday afternoon (Kick-off 5.30) followed by a night match at Zurich against Grasshopper-Servette next Wednesday. This latter game, which starts at 8.30 will be played by floodlight which will be a new experience for the Everton lads. Before they left there was some discussion among the players as to the effects of floodlighting. I don’t know what sort of equipment they have at Zurich but I am told by those who have experience of floodlight games in South America that it is no handicap to the players, apart possibly from the initial strangestness which soon wears off.
Most games in South American are played by floodlight, as the heat makes afternoon game out of the question, and they have got the lightning installation to such a pitch of efficiency that there is neither glare, shadow nor anything else to upset the players. What time the bulk of the Everton players are disporting themselves in Switzerland, their colleagues Lawton and Mercer will be taking part about the same time this evening in England’s game against Yugoslavia at Belgrade. As Matthews is now fit again the England side will be unchanged from which drew with Italy. Three other Evertonians –Britton, Jackson and J.E. Jones are on the high seas en route for South Africa. When Britton and company play at Durban –on the ground made famous last winter by the ten days’ timeless but tiresome Test –they will be no doubt be taken to see the celebrated row of trees planted by famous sportsmen.
Men Behind The Scenes.
Mr. William Gibbon’s work as a director of Everton is well known. What is not so generally known is the labour of love he puts in on behalf of the Liverpool County F.A, to which he has given twenty years unsparing service and of which he is vice-president. He is also vice chairman of the County’s Finance Committee and a member of the Reports and Emergency Committee, each of which takes up a lot of time. “You can’t have both hair and brains” is his favorites reply when I twit him on his baldness which is a double edged retort considering my own happy thatch. There can be no dispute about Bill Gibbon’s lack of one and possession of the other. He has given loyal and earnest service to the professional and amateur sides of the game in Liverpool. Is a hard worker in whatever he takes up, and invariably brings anything he touches to a successful conclusion.

MAYN 19 1939
Mercer and Lawton played for England against Yugoslavia at Belgrade, in front of 48,000 England losing 2-1.

Servette-Grasshoppers combined 2 Everton 4
May 18 1939. The Daily Post, by Special Telegram
Zurich Thursday-Everton beat a combined Grasshoppers and Servett team by 4 goals to 2. After being level at Half-time. This was a fine win as the home side contained many of the international who played in the side which beat England last year. The Swiss had the better of the opening play, and in the 26 minute Bickel receiving a centre from Abeggen, put them ahead, Everton attacked strongly but it was not until just before half-time that they could equalise Gillick was the scorer. The goalkeeper dropped the ball after a shot by Boyes and Gillick dashed up and put it into the net after 20 minutes in the second half. Everton took the lead when Jones scored from a corner, and 10 minutes later Stevenson made the score 3-1 by netting from 20 yards. Immediately on the restart the Swiss reduced the arrear though a brilliant individual effect by Belli, but 5 minutes later Jones scored direct from a free kick taken 35 yards out. There was no further scoring about 4,000 people watched the match. It rained all the morning. The ground was very wet. The outstanding player in the Everton side were Cook Greenhalgh Jones Stevenson, and Boyes. The Everton players made a very good impression by the way. They adapted themselves to the slippery conditions. Everton were all over their opponents in the second half. Teams, Servette-Grasshoppers Combined: - Fieutz, goal, Weiler, and Lehmann, backs, Cuinchard, Resnati and Van Gessel half-backs, Belli, Walladele. Abegglen and Aebi forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal, Cook (captain), and Greenhalgh, backs, Lindsay, Jones (TG), and Watson (tg) half-backs, Gillick Bentham Bell Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards.

May 20, 1939. Evening Express.
Mr. Theo Kelly’s Impressions.
Everton have encountered plenty of rain so far on their Swiss tour. Their opening match –at Geneva- was played under terrible conditions. Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of the club, sends the following letter to Pilot. “Thomson, Barber, Watson, Greenhalgh and Gillick were not exactly well on our crossing from Dover to Calais. We had to leave Paris at 7.30 a.m. on Wednesday, but some of the party made up for the lost of sleep on the train. “On Thursday we had heavy rain all day. Torry Gillick went to a specialists and had the regular treatment he has been undergoing in Liverpool for the injury to his nose received in the Aston Villa match. He was fit to play on Thursday, but is being rested on Saturday. “There were between 6,000 and 7,000 people present at the opening match –and two out of every three carried an umbrella. Three umbrellas were smashed during the game by fast balls from the ground. Ted Sagar did one in when saving a goal at the expense of a corner. “You never saw a ground like it in your life. The clay base made pool after pool. Of course, there was plenty of comedy about it. They scored a good first goal through Abegglen, and it was close on half-time before Torry struggled with the goalkeeper until he managed to send home the equalizer. Every player had to change at half time. “In the second half Tommy Jones scored a beauty from 30 yards. Given the chance, shooting was the thing to do. “Stevenson soon added another, Bell jumping with his legs apart to unsight the goalkeeper, but not interfering with the fight of the ball. Bell scored for the Swiss team which included six internationals. We thought it was off side, and so did one of the linesmen. We were right on top and Tommy Jone’s free kick from 25 yards left the goalkeeper helpless. “It was a good game, barring the usual Continental latitude to rushing. As we got used to this most of our lads did the same thing –in a more expert way. Their ideas of foul play really are queer. “Our team was Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Jones, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes.

Grenchan 1 Everton 1
May 22 1939. The Daily Post, by Special telegram
Grenchen Sunday. Playing the second match of their Swiss tour here yesterday. Everton Football Club were held to a 1-1 draw by a Grenchan x1. At half-time neither side had scored. Four thousand people watched the match, which was played in pouring rain and the ground was, consequently, very slippery. Everton were very fortunate to draw for their goal was scored by one of their opponents after the home side had scored, during the first half Everton were superior in technique and speed and penned Grenchen in their own half for some time. The inside trio Bentham, Bell, and Stevenson However always found the defence very strong and could make no headway against the fine play of the backs and Goalkeeper who made many excellent saves. Grenchan showed considerable improvement in the second half and look in command of the game. Strber, the outside right took the ball towards the goal and centred to Artimovics, who dribbled on and pushed the ball to nevhaus, who managed to score. Many people however, though that he was offside and voiced their opinions. The home side played with great zest after this, intent on getting at least another goal. Their referee was also very strong and it was not until the 37th minute that another goal was scored. One of the Everton forwards put in a bad shot, which the goalkeeper punched out, the ball, however, struck the centre half, Luethi on one of his feet and cannoned off into the net to give Everton the equalising goal. Everton followed with score strong attacks and the forwards bombarded the goal without being able to score just before the end Gillick missed a great chance. Boyes was the best forward but Gillick was almost completely neglected by the inside man. The English defence especially was very good. Only courageous works by the very efficient Swiss defence prevented Everton from winning. Grenchan:- Ballabio, goal, Kquffmann, and Guerne, backs Planchered, Luethi, and Mistell half-backs, Stuber Aebi, Artimoricz, Ducommun,, and Neuhauts forwards. Everton:- Sagar goal Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs, Lindsay, Jones (tg) and Thomson (captain) half-backs, Gillick, Bentham Bell Stevenson, and Boyes forwards.
The press Association Foreign Special.

May 22, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
I have a letter this morning from Mr. Theo Kelly Everton’s secretary written from Geneva just after the Blues’ first match against Servetta-Grasshoppers, which they won 4-2. Apparently the weather has not been particularly good for he says: “What a day. We have never seen more rain in Liverpool. It never ceased all day. The game was played under farcical conditions. Yet 7,000 people turned up to brave the weather, and two out of three umbrellas! It was a queer night to see the terraces looking like so many mushrooms. “Incidentally, we nearly came to a decision to change our signature tune this trip for the crossing from Dover was too bad for some of the lads. It was a very long journey to Geneva, but a little of the lost sleep was made up when we arrived. “No training could be done before the match today because of the rain. Both teams gave a good show under the circumstances, and the Swiss excelled when in possession, with the ball on the ground. Their passing was splendid but in tackling they made free use of the push to enable them to check our lively attack. “They scored first, but Torry Gillick equalized just on the interval. During the interval the boys reckoned that they might play them at their own game, and they did so very successfully. As time went on we became more and more superior. Jones scored with a beauty from 30 yards. Stevie’ followed suit from 25 yards, Bell scored a second for Genera whilst a linesman was flagging offside, and Tom Jones got the fourth with a free kick from the same distance. It was a day for first time shooting. You could not imagine the number of pools there were. Spectators were drenched when the ball dropped on the track and created hugh splashes. Shortly after Jones had scored the last goal, he tried to do the “hat-trick” in the wrong way when he passed back rather sharply to Sagar, Teddy making a grand plunge to save a goal. “Six of the home side were internationals. Mr. Pearce the British Vice Consul attended the match, and afterwards joined us at our hotel. He seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed what was a very entertaining game. We are still waiting for some sunshine. Perhaps you are having it all at home.
Everytime It rains –
In the match on Saturday against Grenchan F.C, Everton drew 1-1. Once more rain feil, incessantly, and there were only 4,000 spectators. Everton’s equalizing goal just before the interval was scored by one of the home side’s defenders. The visitors however, should have won, for they bombarded the Grenchan goal with a succession of strong attackers in the second half, and only courageous work by the Swiss defence prevented them going ahead.

Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 22 May 1939
The annual church parade of Liverpool Battalion of the Boys’ Brigade was held at Everton F.C. ground, yesterday, when the Bishop of Warrington (Dr. H. Gresford Jones) preached, and the Rev. E. Hacking (10th Liverpool Company) conducted the service. The Lord Mayor of Liverpool (Alderman Sir Sydney Jones) took the salute at the march past of the Battalion end the Past Association.

In the Rain
Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 23 May 1939
I have received another letter from Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton Football Club, who continues his comments Everton’s tour of Switzerland. Apparently the rain is following the champions around. Well, the first line in the letter is ” It has been raining nearly all the time so far.” Mr. Kelly continues: ”At Geneva, when the sun did shine, all the players were taken up the lake to Nyon. Mr. Ernest Green, our chairman, broadcast from the Geneva station, with other leading sportsmen, “Torry Gillick saw the specialist three times, and was eventually declared fit to play at Grenchen. The population is littl© more than 10,000, and yet there was a record crowd of more than 5,000 —mostly carrying umbrellas as at Geneva—despite the rain. Our only change was Jock Thomson for Gordon Watson. Grenchen are third in the First Division and have not been beaten since November. There was acort at the interval, but then they acored a beauty and Gillick equalised. This was the first time English club had played at Grenchen, and also the first time they had such a distinguished visitor as Dr. Obracht, a member of the Solotbum Canton Government.
The whole trip wag a marvellous show hospitality, organisation and enthusiasm We have never enjoyed football day better. At the dinner Mr. Green responded German. After the dinner there wa« a dance and entertainment, and Ted Sagar was induced to go on the platform and conduct the yodellers. The yodellers entered into the spirit of the thing and eventually dressed Ted up with one of their jackets and cap. It was the piece de resistance and, honestly, one of the funniest things I have ever seen. All members our party were presented with watches. “One player, who shared a twin-bed room, put his watch under his pillow for safety. Next morning he could not find it and thought he had been robbed. The watch was found in another bed altogether! You know what our lads are. Kind regards to all.”

Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 25 May 1939
Walter Boyes a member of Everton F.C continental tour team, is concerned about his three-year-old son, Anthony, who lives in Walton Hospital, suffering from severe concussion received when he was knocked down by a motor-van at Aintree, near his home, on Monday. The Eveening Express understands that Walter Boyes has been in communcation with Liverpool from the Continent. Anthony was stated today to be "moderately ill."

May 25 1939
England beat Rumania 2-0, Mercer, and Lawton playing in front of 40,000 people present.

Switzerland x1 3 Everton 2
May 25 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post, by Special Telegram
Zurich Wednesday Everton were beaten by 3 goals to 2 by a strong Switzerland Combination, including seven of the Swiss team who beat England 2-1 at Zurich in May last year, in a hard fought match here this evening. The score at half-time was 1-1 it was a fine evening and some 8,000 people watched the match. The Swiss team scored first Nausch the centre forward a former Austrian who only recently joined the famous Grasshoppers club, finding the net after twenty-five minutes play. Everton reply through Boyes who scored with a hard straight shot eight minutes later. Ten minutes after the interval Gillick gave Everton the lead, scoring from a free-kick, just under a quarter of an hour later the Swiss team were awarded a free kick, and Wallachek, the inside left, equalised,, shortly before the final whistle, Backel, the Swiss right winger went through on his own to score a good goal, and give the Swiss team its victory. The teams were:- Everton:- Sagar goal, Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh backs Lindley, Jones, and Watson half-backs, Gillick, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson and Boyes, Forwards. Swiss Combination:- Williams Huber, goal, Severino, Minesll and , Austust Lehmann, Harmann, Strigel, Sireo Vernat, and Rauch half-backs, Alfred Bickes (all of Grasshoppers), Trello Abegglen (Servette), Naush (Grasshoppers), Eugen Wallachek, and Csweette Krismel forwards.

May 25, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton’s last game in Switzerland saw them beaten 3-2 by a combined Grasshopper-Servette eleven. The home side made several changes from the team which lost to Everton 4-2 a week ago, and included seven members of the Swiss side which defeated England on the same ground twelve months ago. After Boyes had equalized in the first half, Gillick gave Everton the lead, but they were unable to hang on to it, and after the Swiss had got on level terms half-way through the second half, the winning goal came a few minutes before the end. Everton have now won, drawn and lost their three Swiss matches. They leave Zurich today for Holland, where Lawton and Mercer will join the party and play at Rotterdam on Saturday and Amsterdam on Sunday.

May 26 1939, The Daily Post, by John Peel
Harry Morton Everton reserve Goalkeeper, was yesterday Transferred to Burnley. Morton joined Everton two season ago from Aston Villa and played for Everton in the First Division team several times last season his last game beening against Wolverhampton this season, in the 7-0 defeat.

May 26, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Harry Morton, Everton’s reserve goalkeeper, has been transferred to Burnley. Morton joined Everton two seasons ago from Aston Villa and made several appearances in the First Division side. He was placed on the open-to-transfer list at the end of last season.

Rotterdam x1 0 Everton 3
May 29 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post, by Special Telegram
Rotterdam Saturday. Everton, who are playing in Holland on their way home from Switzerland, beat a Rotterdam Combined x1 here this evening by 3 goals to nil. After leading 2-0 at half-time, Bell the centre-forward got both the goals in the first half and Jones the Centre-half the third goal from a free kick. The large crowd of 25,000 were treated to an excellent exhibition of football. Their was no weak link in the visiting side who magnificent ball control and headwork greatly delighted the crowd. They were a fine team in technique and tactics their play in the second half being especially good. The Rotterdam side played a hard clean game, but were no match for the visitors. In the Everton side, Jones (centre-half_, who cleverly bottled up the international centre forward Vente. Bell (centre-forward), and the wing forwards Boyes (left) and Gillick (right) work especially prominent. The first goal came after 28 minutes, when Bell scored after a brilliant individual run. After a grand shot by Watson, had been magnificently saved by Van Male Bell shot his side’s second goal. Thanks too a splendid pass from Boyes. This was after 38 minutes play. Just before half-time the Dutch inside right, vrauwdeunt, missed an open goal. In the six minute of the second half, Kuppen the Centre-half handled and his opposite number Jones, netted with a long shot from the resultant free-kick. Everton gave a really fine exhibition of Football, completely outclassing their opponents. The short passing was excellent and they kept the game open, playing with the wingers with lovely long passes. The home team after 32 minutes of the second half had elapsed were aware a penalty kick, Van Spendona the inside left took the kick but shot over the bar. Everton team:- Sagar goal, Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs, Lindley, Jones and Thomson (captain), half-backs, Gillick, Bentham, Bell, Watson, Boyes forward. Press Association Forign Special.

May 29, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Note.
Mr. Theo Kelly, writing from Switzerland on the eye of Everton’s departure for Holland tells me that Gillick has been under the attention of a specialists each day during the tour for the nose injury he received in the Villa game and though he is now doing very well he will unfortunately have a slight permanent disfigurement. Mr. Kelly goes to say “Gillick has not been worrying about the master, however, and has caused much amusement by his description of his visits to the doctor. Punctually ideas not seem to have been the latter’s strong point. Yesterday we were shown around a chocolate factory which we visited in 1935, and received chocolate replicas of a footballer. Grenchan after playing us last Saturday travelled to Lausanne on Sunday and won thus going to second place in the First Division. So you will see that they were no mean opponents.”
A Good Finish.
Everton wound up their tour with two good victories in Holland over the week end. Bell (2) and Tom Jones (from a free kick) were the scorers in a 3-0 victory over Rotterdam, while at Amsterdam, yesterday they won 5-3, Gillick getting three and Bentham and Bell one each. The team and officials left Holland this morning for the journey home and will reach Liverpool tomorrow.

The swallows 3 Everton 5
May 29, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Amstrdam, Sunday, A crowd of 25,000 saw Everton reinforced by the return of Mercer from the English F.A. tour defeat a Dutch team. The Swallow’s ‘’by 5 goals to 3 at the Olympic Stadium here this afternoon. The score at half-time was 2-2. Everton’s goals were obtained by Gillick (3) Bentham and Bell Colthot Van Der Hulst, and Smit (penalty) were the Dutch scorers. Jones Boyes, and Gillick were outstanding on the English side. Play began in sensational manner, Everton being two goals down soon after the start Colthot, the outside right headed in the first goal after 5 minutes, and a few minutes later a through pass from Smit enabled Van Der Hulst to dribble round Jones and shoot past the advancing Sagar. Everton’s superior teamwork gained the reward, however for in the 18 minute Bell scored and 4 minutes from the interval Gillick levelled the score. Three minutes after the interval Bentham gave Everton the lead, heading home Everton’s corner kick. In the 14 minute Gillick put Everton further ahead. Sager made a number of brilliant saves during a period of hot attack, Dykstra the Goalkeeper was at fault when he allowed Gillick to net easily in the 66th minute of the game. In the final minutes Jones handled just in front of goal, Smit easily convert the resultant penalty kick.
Everton: - Sagar goal, Cook and Greenhalgh, backs, Mercer, Jones, and Thomson (captain), Gillick, Bentham, Bell, Watson, and Boyes forwards. Press Association Foreign Special

May 29, 1939. Evening Express.
Everton wound up their Continental tour with a brilliant victory in Amsterdam yesterday when they defeated the Dutch National eleven by five goals to three. The Champions were two goals down in ten minutes, but sequently gave a great display and goals were scored by Gillick (2), Boyes, Bentham and Bell. The two games in Holland attracted more than 50,000 spectators. During the tour Everton have won three games, lost one and drawn one. The party returns to Liverpool tomorrow.

May 31 1939. The Daily Post
By John Peel
Everton Football Club players and officials arrived back in Liverpool yesterday, from their tour of Switzerland and Holland. Apart from slight ankle injuries received by Stevenson Bell and Lindley, Everybody is fit, and well. Mr. Theo Kelly the Secretary said that the tour had been extremely successful in every respect, through attend dance at the first games in Switzerland were ruined by heavy rain. The two matches in Holland attracted a total of over 60,000. Mr. Kelly paid A high tribute to the hospitality which had been affected the members of the party and said that everyone had been so pleased with the display of the Everton team that they had very pressing invitation to return again next year.

Liverpool Evening Express - Wednesday 31 May 1939
Sportsmen Mr. Theo Kelly, Everton’s genial secretary, said to me that he was deeply impressed by the sportsmanship encountered in Holland during the tour of the club. "In Holland,” he said, “they inter- Many Big Fight Offers To pret the rules we do, and the standard of refereeing is exceptionally good. The players, too, have been fair to a degree, so that we have not been all disturbed about giving of our best there. I think it can be traced to the fact that in Holland they have so many good English coaches. Glendenning (Barnsley), Wadsworth (Huddersfield Town), Booth (Newcastle United) and Donnelly (Blackburn Rovers), were some of the coaches we met and right happy they are to meet anyone from the homeland. By the way, no fewer than 53,000 spectators watched Everton’s two games in Holland.

May 1939