Everton Independent Research Data


May 1, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Bury 1, Everton 0
Bury Win by a Goal
By Stork.
Only one goal was scored in the Bury and Everton game at Gigg-Lane, and that went to the home side, but had even a small percentage of the chances been accepted a goodly number of goals would have been registered. The play suggested goals, but the forwards on both sides missed some simple chances. There were a number of young players on the field, boys who have been helping the “A” or Colts teams, so that it was only natural that there should be a lack of craftsmanship, and tenderness near goal which the more experienced players would have accepted. Only on rare occasions did the Everton forwards find a way through and then they failed to take chances. Bury were not free from criticism in this respect. They should have had more than one goal. The experience Carter, once slashed a shot against Burnett; he should have beaten the goalkeeper. Then F. Jones one of Everton’s amateurs, struck the upright and all this happened before Potts drove the ball through a ruck of Everton players into the net at the thirty-ninth minute. Bury launched their attacks at the quicker pace, but all too often it was a case of crash tactics, which was made to look ordinary as compared with Everton’s more polished combination. Everton did net the ball in the second half when McIntosh shot a terrific ball in the back of the net, but the goal was disallowed for offside. Earlier the Scot from close in sent the ball over the bar. On another occasion F. Jones sent a pass to Grant who sliced the ball wide. Carter, Bury’s main hope, had some good shots saved one by Burnett’s face, which put him out of action for a time. McIntosh was the best of a moderate Everton line. Doyle with a little coaching should do well for Everton. He is strong, a fearless tackler and can “use” the ball. Jackson, Greenhalgh, Jones J.E., Bentham, and Burnett were steady in defence. Bury; J. Smith, goal; Griffths (G.) and Hart, backs; Horsfield, Griffths (W.) and Hamilton, half-backs; White, Potts, Meaney, Anderson, and Carter, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (J.E.) and R.L. Doyle, half-backs; F. Jones, Grant, Wyles, Wainwright, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. Dykes, (Failsworth).
• Liverpool beat Blackburn Rovers 1-0, Welsh (penalty).
• England X1 beat Combined Services X1 3-1. Played at Stamford Bridge, in front of 30,627, Britton, Mercer and Lawton played for England, Lawton scored one goal.

May 1, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton had every reason to be satisfied with the showing of their two debutants -Lee Doyle, and Fred Jones –in the match at Gigg lane won by Bury, thanks to a goal by a local junior Potts. Doyle played a game of the Grant type, possessed of boundless energy and a veritable terrier. Jones operated with encouraging method and grace, and revealed an aptitude for getting a centre across under difficulties. No doubt these lads will be given further trials. Everton had more of the game, and played the better class of football, but they had little luck with their finishing.

May 1, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
A single goal was all that was needed to beat Everton at Gigg Lane on Saturday, although it was a game in which many goals could have been scored had the ability been there to score them. But neither set of forwards could claim to be good marksmen. Everton’s attack was feeble to a degree. They could work their way up the penalty line but once there failed to deliver the goods. (Writes Stork). You will want to know how the new boys played. F. Jones started with a nice swing; he centred well from bad positions, and wasted the ball when he had all the time in the world to make certain that his centre would reach the goalmouth. He was a nice easy gilt, but having made one or two errors might have been worried over it. Doyle, at left half, gave a promising display. He has the body for the job, the enthusiasm and with a few more tricks in his sleeve should make good. A little coaching in one or two matters should be helpful.

May 3, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have today circulated all League clubs with their fixture idea for next season, which is the best war-time one we’ve had, but which failed to go through last year because clubs had not had time to consider it. Briefly, the idea is to continue the League championship to January 20 (22 weeks), start the Cup-ties proper in February, but with one’s week’s gap between each round, which is the meat of the proposal. This would cut out all the upset we have had in previous seasons, when clubs k.o. in the cup have had to scurry round trying to make hurried arrangements for the following Saturday. For the first time for many seasons there will be no election for the League management committee vacancies to new nominations having been received. This means that Messrs W.J. Harrop, G.F. Rutherford, W.K. Cearns and H. Shentall retiring members will be automatically re-elected.

May 4, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Norman Low, the Newport County centre-half and son of the former Newcastle United international, will make his debut for Everton when, on Saturday, he plays against Southport at Haig-avenue in the first “leg” of the Liverpool Senior Cup final. Low, who is a brother-in-law of the Nat Parlston and Ernie Roderick is the former Liverpool player, whose transfer I arranged to Newport County before the war. Low was a mainstay of the County team, which won promotion to the Second Division. Since the war Norman has been playing with Lovell’s Athletic, but he had one game as a “guest” with Liverpool last season. When he arrived in Merseyside this week on a brief holiday he got in touch with me to see if I could get him a game on Saturday. Knowing Everton were without Tommy Jones, I contacted Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly immediately, and within minutes everything had been fixed up. Mr. Kelly has 16-names in his team, sheer a final decision, being deferred but Low is one of the certainties. Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Jones (Jack); Greenhalgh, Grant, Low, Watson, Doyle; Rogers, Linaker, Wainwright, Wyles, Wootton, Bentham, McIntosh, Gregory
Everton Colts; (v. Howsons, at Goodison Park, 3.0 p.m.); Rees, Lever, Barrett, H. Williams, Mellling, Lane, Taylor, Pottage (or Chaderton), Cross, Trowsdale.

May 4, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will go for the minor stages-the Liverpool Senior Cup the first leg of which is against Southport at Haig-Avenue. Though they will not decide on the definite eleven until later; Everton may again take the opportunity of giving further experience to some of their most promising juniors, three of whom –Doyle, Linaker, and Wootton –are among the probables. The first-named made a satisfactory debut last week at Bury; Linaker is the A.T.C boy who jumped right into the first team from junior soccer at the end of last season, while Wootton had his first senior outing against Tranmere recently. Rodgers, of Swansea, now playing for Wrexham, is a probable borrowing, and Gregory is another guest. Norman Low, the former :Liverpool half back, is also in the probables. Southport mean to make a big bid to wind up the season with a cup victory and hope to field one of the their strongest sides for some years. Teams from; Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Jones (Jack); Greenhalgh, Grant, Low, Watson, Doyle; Rogers, Linaker, Wainwright, Wyles, Wootton, Bentham, McIntosh, Gregory. Southport; Todd; Taylor, Brown (G.); Kirby, Simpkins, W. Davidson, Martin, Davis; Rawlings, Mutch, Coates, A.M. Davidson, Dellow, and Butler.

May 5, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have plenty of team doubts regarding their side to face Southport at Haig avenue, but the 15 names in the list ensures a workman like side certain of putting up a good show against wayward Southport. Low of Newport County, will be at centre half, and the Blues side contains a nice blend of youth and experience. Southport are, persevering with some of the junior discoveries and are finding it a paying policy. Despite some defeats in recent weeks Southport have contrived to get among the goals, thus emphasising unless, that the Everton defence is on song they may find themselves on the losing end, and facing goals leeway for the return at Goodison Park on May 13. However, if Everton can bring accuracy into their finishing they should at least escape defeat in what should be a fine wind-up to the Haig-avenue season. Teams from; Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Jones (Jack); Greenhalgh, Grant, Low, Watson, Doyle; Rogers, Linaker, Wainwright, Wyles, Wootton, Bentham, McIntosh, Gregory. Southport; Todd; Taylor, Brown (G.); Kirby, Simpkins, W. Davidson, Martin, Davis; Rawlings, Mutch, Coates, A.M. Davidson, Dellow, and Butler.

May 5, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, who play Southport at Haig-Avenue in the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup, on the home-and-away principle will find the Sandgrounders a fairly stiff obstacle. The visitors name fifteen probables, including some of their junior players. Southport intend to turn out their strongest side, and promise to make Everton pull out their best. Teams from; Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Jones (Jack); Greenhalgh, Grant, Low, Watson, Doyle; Rogers, Linaker, Wainwright, Wyles, Wootton, Bentham, McIntosh, Gregory. Southport; Todd; Taylor, Brown (G.); Kirby, Simpkins, W. Davidson, Martin, Davis; Rawlings, Mutch, Coates, A.M. Davidson, Dellow, and Butler.

May 6, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Southport;- Conway (West Ham), goal; Taylor and Kirby, backs; Simpkins, Woodruff (Burnley), and Martin, half-backs; Gardiner (Burnley), Mutch (Preston), Dougal (Preston), Rawlings (Millwall), and Coates, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.), and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Low, and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Wainwright, Wyles, Bentham, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. Roberts (Liverpool). Southport took this Liverpool senior Cup-tie very seriously for they drafted in some star players of Preston and Burnley. Their side consisted of ten guest artistes, the only club man being Simpkins, who has recently turned professional. Everton had the services of Low, the former Liverpool centre half back. Southport soon get into their stride and Gardner, of Burnley was able to send over a centre which Rawlings piloted into the net at the fifth minute. He was tackled by Burnett but was able to push the ball aside the goalkeeper and into the net. Everton came near scoring the next goal, following play by the Everton left flank. Jackson shot against the underside of the crossbar, the ball bounding on to the goal line for Conway to clear. At twenty-two minutes Everton were awarded penalty when Bentham was pulled down from behind, but to the dismay of all, McIntosh shot outside from the spot. Low was having a good innings against the very effective Southport attack. McIntosh drive which struck the upright was a really fine effort. Southport were playing capital football though there were occasions when goals should have come.
Half-time; Southport 1, Everton nil.
Two players one from each side, were ordered off the field. Taylor and Bentham got mixed up on the ground and as they rose a kick and a blow appeared to be exchanged. Bentham was ordered to the dressing room, and as soon as Taylor was sufficiently recovered he also was ordered off the field. This was after twenty minutes play of the second half. Southport tried hard to improve their score, but the Everton defence which had played well all through, stood firm, just s Conway did when he clutched the ball from Jackson, which was soaring under his crossbar. Five minutes from the end, Everton got the equaliser, a McIntosh centre passing over Conway’s hands, and into the net. Mutch was hurt and had to be carried off. Result; Southport 1, Everton 1.

May 6, 1944. The Evening Express
Southport made a last minute change owing to Davidson not being fit. Rawlings took his place and Coats switched to the outside left position. There were 4,000 spectators when the game started. Southport;- Conway (West ham), goal; Taylor and Kirby, backs; Simpkins, Woodruff (Burnley), and Martin (Hearts), half-backs; Gardiner (Burnley), Mutch (Preston), Dougal (Preston), Rawlings (Millwall), and Coates, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.), and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Low, and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Wainwright, Wyles, Bentham, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. Roberts (Liverpool). When Grant dispossessed Martin he directed a neat pass to Wyles, who took the ball coolly and delivered a great shot that Conway saved magnificently. But the Southport goalkeeper was forced to concede a corner. Conway sprang to catch the ball as Wyles and Wainwright popped up with their heads to try to meet Jackson’s corner kick. Southport from Woodruff’s clearance dashed down but Burnett left his goal to kick away before Dougal could reach the ball. Southport were ahead after four minutes play when a clever piece of work by Gardner unsettled the Everton defence, and Rawlings run in the middle to meet the ball and shoot past Burnett. Everton strove desperately to get level, and ill-luck crowned a great effort by McIntosh, whose centre beat Conway. Jackson met the ball in front of goal but his shot struck the underpart of the crossbar for the ball to bounce down. Conway position to catch the ball before it could enter the net. It was a close call for Southport. Everton persisted and McIntosh came again to swing in a great shot, but the ball flashed across the surface of the goal to finish behind. After Gardner had schemed again to get the Southport attack going, Greenhalgh made a perfect-timed clearance as Dougal was making goalwards.
Penalty Miss
Everton should have equalised when Bentham was brought down in the penalty area. McIntosh from the penalty kick, completely missed the goal. This was after 20 minutes’ play. Burnett made a clever save from Rawlings, who shot from inside the penalty area, the Everton goalkeeper going full length to grab the ball at the foot of the post. Everton were finding the Southport attack very nippy, and Burnett had to save from Simpkins. Jackson, Wainwright and McIntosh worked a pretty move for Everton which finished when McIntosh shot hard against the post. A chance came to Everton when Watson put Wyles through from a free kick, but the Everton leader sent over the bar from two yards range.
Half-tome; Southport 1, Everton 0
Wyles from Wainwright’s pass missed a simple chance, immediately on the re-start. Wainwright got near in the next Everton action and had bad luck when his shot went a few inches on the wrong side of the post. A terrific drive from Wyles struck the knees of Taylor and the ball bounced clear. Burnett made a daring save when he took the ball from the feet of Dougal, who was almost on the goal-line. The referee sent off Taylor and Bentham from the field. Five minutes from the end, McIntosh equalised to scores. Result; Southport 1, Everton 1.

May 8, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Southport 1, Everton 1
Draw at Southport
By Stork.
In their Liverpool Senior Cup final (first leg) Southport fielded a strong team, including several internationals. There were ten guest players in their side, yet they failed in their mission to lay a solid foundation in preparation for the second game at Goodison Park next Saturday’s a draw of one each being the result. Southport played good enough football, but like Everton failed to take chances. They were a superior combination to Everton, and had their attacks finished off the fine work in midfield they should have had several goals. Everton also missed their way in this phase of the game. The Everton defenders, Low formerly of Liverpool, Jones, Greenhalgh, Watson, Grant and Burnett, were excellent. Forward failings, however, included the missing of a penalty by McIntosh. Rawlings scored for Southport at five minutes from a perfectly placed centre by Gardner. It was not until 85 minutes that Everton got their equaliser. Conway misjudging a McIntosh centre and allowing the ball to pass through his outstretched arms. After 65 minutes play two players (one from each side) were ordered off the field. Taylor and Bentham being involved in this incident. It was all done in the heat of the moment, and both men expressed their regrets at the incident after the match. Gardner and Mutch made up a strong right wing for Southport, but Low kept a watchful eye on Dougal. The left wing was not nearly as good. Woodruff the Burnley pivot, gave Wyles little or no scope. Southport;- Conway (West Ham), goal; Taylor and Kirby, backs; Simpkins, Woodruff (Burnley), and Martin (Hearts), half-backs; Gardiner (Burnley), Mutch (Preston), Dougal (Preston), Rawlings (Millwall), and Coates, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.), and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Low, and Watson, half-backs; Jackson, Wainwright, Wyles, Bentham, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. Roberts (Liverpool).
• Liverpool beat Bolton Wanderers 3-1, Nieuwenhuys, Hubbick own goal, Campbell for Liverpool and Currier for Bolton.

May 8, 1944. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton had a mixed day at Haig-avenue, were they were held to a 1-1 draw by Southport in the first “leg” of the Liverpool Senior cup Final. Facing a Rawlings goal after four minutes, the Blues found it tough going against a star-reinforced “port” and before the interval Jimmy McIntosh usually so deadly with a penalty , shot wide from the spot. Much good football was seen, with defence holding the mastery and then, near the end, Stan Bentham, the Everton forward and Taylor, the Southport right back, were ordered off. In the closing minutes McIntosh compensated for his early miss, save a point and build up for a grand return at Goodison Park on Saturday, when Tommy Lawton returns to lead the Blues. Southport again hope to have “gust” players like Woodruff, Tommy Gardner and Jimmy Dougal.

May 8, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Things are done in the heat of the battle which in calmer moments would be scorned upon (writes Stork). Stan Bentham is one of the coolest-headed players I know. He has never shown any inclination for retaliation in his long career, but at Southport on Saturday he lost control of himself momentarily struck an opponent and was ordered off. A simple matter started the whole thing. Bentham and Taylor got their legs locked together following a tackle and after a kick by the latter Bentham struck him on the point of the jaw. For a second or two Taylor swayed on to his face, Bentham was immediately ordered off the field. The trainer rushed out to give aid to Taylor who was out to the world. He recovered whereon he was sent to the dressing room assisted by his trainer. Naturally the incident cast a gloomy over the match which had progressed for 65 minutes. The Sandgrounders team included ten guest players, the only Southport player being Simpkin. Southport meant to win this Liverpool Senior Cup first leg. Yet they could not do it with all their “stars.” They played clever football, and were the better side but the Everton defence thwarted them time and again. But their greatest failure was in the matter of goal-scoring. They had sample chances to have run up a nice tally of goals, but so for that matter had Everton. By right the game should have produced a glut of goals; two were scored, one, apiece. Southport’s in the first five minutes, Everton’s in the last.

May 11, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Three stars from last week’s North Cup Final, and nine internationals altogether, will participate in the Liverpool Senior Cup final- second “leg” –between Everton and Southport at Goodison Park on Saturday when the clubs start level at 1-1. Both clubs have secured a galaxy of stars to provide a brilliant wind-up to the Goodison season. As I mentioned two days ago Everton will have the aid of Sam Jones, the Blackpool and Ireland half-back, as deputy for Tommy Jones, while Tommy Lawton now on the 63 goals mark for the season, returns to lead the forwards. “Danny” Glidden, the Reading and Tranmere Rovers forward is included at inside left, his came being bracketed with A.N. Other” who might easily prove to be another star. Everton’s other internationals are Jack Jones and George Jackson. Jackson is again included in the provisional forward line of six players, including the mystery A.N. Other while Jack Jones partners Greenhalgh at back, and Grant and Watson will be the wing’s half-backs. Altogether it looks a useful combination with solidity in defence and penetrative power forward, for Bentham and McIntosh are also among the attackers. Everton; Burnett; Jones (Jack), Greenhalgh; Grant, Jones (Sam), Watson; (from); Jackson, Bentham, Lawton, A.N. Other, Glidden, McIntosh.
Everton Reserves play Marine in a charity match; Howson; McDonnell, Doyle; Ashley, Rees, Eyes; Makin, Dailey, Wyles, Wootton, Trowsdale.

May 11, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Southport’s Star Studded Side
There’s nothing “end-of-the-seasonish” about Southport’s attitude to their cup final game against Everton at Goodison on Saturday. The Sandgrounders are dead keen to lift the Liverpool senior Cup from their rivals and with that end in view have gone all but for a star-studded side. And there’s no mistaking that they’ve got it. In addition to Woodruff, Dougal, Gardner, and Conway, who assisted them last week, Southport have still further strengthened the side by the inclusion of Kinsell, Blackpool’s grand left back who is up to international standard on what I saw of him in the semi-final at Manchester. Pearson the Blackpool and Newcastle winger and Pryde Blackburn’s strapping centre half. The result is a most formidable combination which will test Everton to the full, and as the teams start off level-pegging, there ought to be another big gate to ring down the Goodison curtain until August. The Liverpool Senior Cup is a very handsome trophy, much more imposing that the F.A. or League cups, and well worth the winning.

May 12, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There is one player, who is going to make all the difference to Everton’s hopes. I refer to the season’s leading goal scorer Tommy Lawton who takes over leadership of the attack. The fact that Lawton has scored 63 goals this season proves what a danger he is going to be to Southport. With neither Tommy Jones nor Norman Low available, Sam Jones, who began the season as an Everton “guest” takes over centre-half duties. Sam is the Blackpool Irish International and a brilliant player capable of welding together any defence. Everton have a doubt at inside-left where “Danny” Glidden, of Tranmere Rovers may play. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly has also included “A.N. Other,” and this may prove to be an international. We shall see when we reach the ground. This tie is due to start at 3.0 p.m. and I think we shall see an exhibition of constructive football better than in most league games. Their should be a little extra keenness about the game, for the winning of the cup carries with it the award of War Saving Certificates which will bring back memories of the pre-war bonus. Despite Southport’s array of stars, I think Everton will win. Everton; Burnett; Jones (Jack), Greenhalgh; Grant, Jones (Sam), Watson; Jackson, Bentham, Lawton, Glidden, (or A.N. Other), McIntosh. Southport; Conway; Pope, Kinsell; Simpkins, Woodruff, Martin; Gardner, Mutch, Dougal, Rawlings, Pearson.

May 12, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
While Goodison Park puts up the Soccer shutters tomorrow, for three months, football will finished less than a couple of hours when baseball takes over. But let’s deal with soccer first, Everton have Southport as visitors in the second game in the Liverpool Senior Cup final. In the old days these minor cup matches took a very back seat. During the war they have filled a much felt want, when clubs have been k.o’d in the League Cup, and tomorrow’s match promises to be as stern and keen an encounter as any we have witnessed this season, not excluding Liverton Derbies. Southport determination to have a real bang at lifting the trophy is very evident from their side. They’ve spread their net thoroughly and booked a big array of guest stars, so that Everton’s task is more formidable than it might otherwise have been. This is Southport’s first visit to Goodison this season. Last year they were beaten heavily by the Blues in the League Cup a result which we can ignore completely as a guide to the present encounter, for tomorrow’s visiting side is vastly stronger than any previous war-time combination turned out by the sand-grounders. What with Kinsell, Blackpool’s star back, a big “Bob” Prdye of Blackburn, Pearson the Newcastle Scot who has played for England. Jimmy Dougal, Preston’s quick-silver centre forward and all the rest of Southport’s stars, to say nothing of Lawton, Sam Jones and Everton’s stalwarts, the team sheet has the hall mark of ability of it in very un-May like manner. Teams; Everton; Burnett; Jones (Jack), Greenhalgh; Grant, Jones (Sam), Watson; Jackson, Bentham, Lawton, Glidden, (or A.N. Other), McIntosh. Southport; Conway; Pope, Kinsell; Simpkins, Woodruff, Martin; Gardner, Mutch, Dougal, Rawlings, Pearson.

May 13, 1944. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Southport brought ten “guest” stars to oppose Everton in the Liverpool Senior Cup Final at Goodison Park today, the only Southport club player being Simpkins. Everton had Sam Jones, the Irish International at centre half, and Glidden, of Reading and Tranmere Rovers, at inside left. This arrangement is that if there is no decision at the end of 90 minutes and the 30 minutes extra time, the clubs will become joint holders of the cup. But the first goal in extra time would be taken as the decider. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (Jack) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Jones (S.) (Blackpool), and Watson, half-backs; Watson, Bentham, Lawton (captain), Glidden (Reading) and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Southport;- Conway (West ham), goal; Pope (Blackpool) and Kinsell (Blackpool), backs; Simpkins, Woodruff (Burnley), and Martin (Hearts), half-backs; Gardner (Burnley), Dougal (Preston), Rawlings (Millwall) and Pearson (Newcastle), forwards. Referee; Mr. S.N. Roberts (Liverpool). The game opened on a dull note apart from one neat bit of combination between Jackson and Bentham, but then Lawton spilt the Southport defence apart with a wide pass to Jackson, who shot on the run, but Kinsell covered the shot which passed outside. Everton moved forward following a neat Lawton-headed pass, but the ball went over the top, and then Pearson ran to the line only to finish weakly. Southport should have taken the lead when a clever combination got Everton moving the wrong way, but Pearson, with only Burnett to beat shot over. Burnett then made a good save from Dougal. Southport seemed more dangerous, and Dougal missed an easy chance, while but for the vigilance of Sam Jones, Gardner and Mutch would have been busy.
Dougal Scores
It was from the opposite wing that the first goal came in 20 minutes Dougal being the scorer. Pearson hooked the ball in and Dougal allowed it to run down the body into the net. Jack Jones saved a certain goal when Dougal beat his namesake and turned the ball back for Rawlings to shoot, but Jones dropped back on the goal-line to turn the shot out.

May 13, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Southport Take The Lead
By Ranger.
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (Jack) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Jones (S.) (Blackpool), and Watson, half-backs; Watson, Bentham, Lawton (captain), Glidden (Reading) and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Southport;- Conway (West ham), goal; Pope (Blackpool) and Kinsell (Blackpool), backs; Simpkins, Woodruff (Burnley), and Martin (Hearts), half-backs; Gardner (Burnley), Dougal (Preston), Rawlings (Millwall) and Pearson (Newcastle), forwards. Referee; Mr. S.N. Roberts (Liverpool). Everton and Southport started their second leg of the Liverpool Senior Cup level pegging before a crowd of about 15,000 at Goodison Park. A good chance for Southport to open the score came when Greenhalgh sliced his clearance and the ball went to Dougal, who, however, shot hurriedly high over the bar. Bentham fired over when Lawton set him going with a neatly placed header and then came a spell of bright combination from Southport which produced one good effort from Rawlings confidently caught by Burnett and another over the bat shot by Dougal. Conway had to give a corner to save a header by Lawton. The lively ball was difficult to control and both defences frequently over kicked the forwards. Gardner was well off the mark with an angled shot, and Dougal, could not just get the ball to his liking when Mutch gave him a canny up the middle pass. Southport, who had done the major portion of the attacking and had been much quicker on the ball, took the lead after twenty minutes when Pearson put the ball into the penalty area, Rawlings tapped it forward, and Dougal finally kneed it pass Burnett. Only a minute later Everton had a narrow escape when Jones (J.E.) appeared from nowhere to kick away right on the line.

May 15, 1944, The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 0, Southport 1
Southport’s Win
By Ranger.
A scrambling sort of goal scored by Dougal after 20 minutes gave Southport the victory over Everton in the Liverpool Senior Cup final at Goodison Park. While the general run of the play was on a par with the goal –rather scrambling and scrappy-Southport produced some nice combination in the first half, during which they were well on top, and would have been well in front at the interval had they taken their chances. Instead, they cancelled out good approach work by good finishing, leaving themselves an uphill task of hanging on to their lead when Everton took over the attacking role after the resumption. Southport were penned in their own territory for long stretches in the second half, but Everton’s finishing was no better than Southport’s and with the visiting defence sound and solid in every department, Everton seldom looked like equalising. Even when they had easy chances they threw them away by over-finesse or hasty shooting. Southport’s second half attack though spasmodic, usually looked more dangerous than Everton’s but the home defence by this time had got the measure of the opposition. Though the players protested strongly when Referee Roberts disallowed the point which Glidden netted half-way through his half, in my opinion the decision was correct. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (Jack) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Jones (S.) (Blackpool), and Watson, half-backs; Watson, Bentham, Lawton (captain), Glidden (Reading) and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Southport;- Conway (West ham), goal; Pope (Blackpool) and Kinsell (Blackpool), backs; Simpkins, Woodruff (Burnley), and Martin (Hearts), half-backs; Gardner (Burnley), Dougal (Preston), Rawlings (Millwall) and Pearson (Newcastle), forwards. Referee; Mr. S.N. Roberts (Liverpool).
• Liverpool beat Bolton 3-2, Welsh (2), Done, for Liverpool and Hughes, Own goal, Lofthouse, for Bolton.

May 15, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The scheme for football season 1944-45 which has become known as “the Everton plan,” may, with certain small adjustments, become part of the proposals to be put before the clubs at the July annual meeting by the Management Committee. If this is so, then there can be little doubt about the adoption of the idea. The Management Committee has I know, spent hours working out the most attractive scheme, but they have, and always have been only too ready to accept help from the clubs. No doubt the wisdom of just reward for high placing in the No 1 championship rather than having to run the gauntlet of a qualifying competition for one recognition has appealed to the sportsmanship of President Mr. Will Cuff and his co-Committeeman I am not surprised. And the suggestion to give a week’s grace between each round of the cup competition is almost an essential to the easy completion of the long football programme. This idea would naturally commend itself to the Management Committee who while mapping out their own plans, will always spare a thought for the various County Associations who have cup competitions. And the County Association are behind Everton’s idea wholeheartedly. Those odd weeks will give them the chance to get their competitions through without having to wait until the summer. Why, only on Saturday did we last clear up the 1943-44 county cups. The actual League proposals may not be out for some time, but the hint that the Management Committee is behind this plan is highly encouraging.
With so many master stars in action I hope to receive consolation for the lack of constructive art in the Liverpool Cup final between Everton and Southport at Goodison Park, which the Port won a Dougal’s goal after 20 minutes. Frankly the game disappointed me, although many of the 13,111 spectators seemed to be enjoying themselves. I like soccer thrills as well as the next man but do like them when they are borne of craftsmanship and accuracy in methods. It was not so in this instance.
Twp Phrases
There was little cohesion work. Neither side had a player of the Stevenson type who could hold a ball and create an opening by drawing the defence out of position. George Mutch did give up brief glimpse of these arts, but generally it was a case of getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible with not much though where or to whom. The player who suffered more than anyone side because of this was Tommy Lawton, the Blues captain for the day. Generally any rounded by three players –Woodruff was always there –Lawton had little chance because no one thought fit to try a little holding and drawing. I felt really sorry for Lawton, who seemed so surprised at getting two half chances early in the second half that he missed them. This was a game of individual endeavour, one or two distinct phases. In the first half Southport –let me add here that I made them worthy winners –were much more adaptable than Everton, and with any semblance of balance in front of goal must have been four up instead of one. Everton were as so many units during that period so far as attack was concerned and had not Jack Jones, Greenhalgh and Burnett been on top form the game would have been over. As it was Everton were given a “life” and with McIntosh responding to the calls of Glidden, Lawton and Watson better the Blues took charge in the second half. Apart from rare and sudden raids little was seen of the Southport attack, but their defence put up a grand show. Pope and Kinsell offering excellent cover for Woodruff, Simpkins, the only Southport club player, doing fine work and Martin of the Hearts subduing the Bentham, Jackson and Martin appeared to me at one of the most accomplished ball players afield. Martin gave us football whereas so many made it “air ball.” What a success Martin would be in the First Division of peace days. Southport had their anxious moments in the closing stages, but they deserved their success, excellently controlled by Mr. Stan Roberts. Glidden had a good first game for the Blues and Sam Jones did well late on. Grant worked like a Trojan, but wasted the ball too often. Pearson was the most immaculate forward of one allows for Lawton’s lack of support. It was good to see Mr. Harry Mansley, vice-chairman of Chester among the boardroom “guest” under Chairman Mr. Will Gibbons, and Mr. Mansley stayed on to have a taste of baseball.

May 15, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Southport denied Everton even the consolation balm of lifting the Liverpool Senior Cup. The least said about the Everton attack in this anything but-brilliant finale, the better. Though Southport were confined to their own territory for three-parts of the second half, Everton seldom looked like equalising. True, they got the ball in the net once, and though some of the crowd wrath when Referee Stan Roberts disallowed the point, I agreed with him. Southport won through a “kneed” goal by Dougal after 20 minutes and though they were on the collar most of the second portion they were worthy of their victory, if only for their grand approach work in the first half. Some of their combination was excellent, but their finishing was just as bad as Everton’s.

May 20, 1944. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The prospects of Everton’s proposed scheme for future North cup competitions being adopted are enhanced by the fact that the Northern Section clubs of the Third Division have decided to circularise their clubs with a view to giving support. This is good news for the wisdom of having a week’s break between each round of the cup is going to help materially in solving the fixture problems, while the scheme provides for the recognition of true merit by allowing the 32 leading clubs in the league championship No 1 to go into the Cup competition proper. Third Division support would prove that the “minnows” are quite prepared to take their chances and reply on their own abilities to get them through. Certainly a long league competition is the finest test of merit. It does cut both ways. For instance, had cup qualifications in the season just ended counted on the No 1 championship placing Chester would have been in instead of being pipped by a point, but Wrexham would have been out. Everton’s suggestion is one of the few changes I anticipate in relation to next season.

May 25, 1944. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton F.C have received notification that Billy Sumner their young outside right who played in several matches in the early part of the war has been killed in a flying accident while on Foreign Service.

May 26, 1944. The Liverpool Daily Post
Representatives of the central League in abeyance since the war, decided at Preston yesterday to revive the competition next season. If the football League clubs are agreeable. All are to be circulated with the exception of those in the South, who have their own competition. Mr. W.C. Cuff Football League and Central League president, who presided said Football clubs generally were realising they would need to developed their own junior players with a view to readiness for resumption of the football if is proposed to run a competition for reserves teams under Football league auspices, and it is expected that about 50 clubs will complete on a regional basic.
William Sumners.
Everton have received notification that William Sumner their reserve outside right, who was a sergeant pilot in the R.A.F has died on active service.

Friday 26 May 1944. The Liverpool Evening Express

Official news has been received that Seargt-Pilot William Sumner, R.A.F, only son of Mr. and Mrs J. Sumner, of Church Road, Bicherstaff, has been killed in India. He was 21-years-of-age, and received his training in Canada, where he got his wings as a Pilot. An Ormskirk Grammar School Old boy, he was a leading member of the School Cricket and Football teams, being a good fast bowler, and a clever outside right. He was signed player for Everton Football Club, playing my times for the Reserves and the A teams.


Everton Player Killed
Liverpool Daily Post - Saturday 27 May 1944

Official news has been received that Sergeant- Pilot William Sumner, R.A.F.. aged 21. only son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Sumner, Church Road. Bickerstaffe, has been killed In an accident In India. He was a leading member of the Ormstirk Grammar School cricket and football teams being a good fast bowler and a clever outside right. He was signed player for Everton and played many times for the Reserves and the A"


May 30, 1944. The Liverpool Evening Express

Clifford Britton, the Everton and England half-back, was married at Ringmer, near Lewes, during the week-end. The bride, Miss Bridget Moores, is adjutant o a Lewes Company of the Girls Training Corps. The wedding was attended by Colonel C.D. Crisp, the Football Association councilor and Chelsea F.C director, who is also Mayor of Lewes.



May 1944