Everton Independent Research Data


May 1, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Permission has been granted for the Football League Championship No 2, to be continued until May 26. All matches arranged between League clubs as well as the North and County Cup Semi-Finals will be allowed to count for the Championship, in which Everton stand second and Liverpool fourth. No friendly matches will be permitted. This was announced by the Football League today. The first important mid-week football matches of the season will be staged tomorrow night when a combined Everton-Liverpool team oppose an all-star Western Command eleven at Goodison Park in aid of the Command Welfare Funds, and South Liverpool officially re-opened their ground at Holly Park Garston . it is many years since the Blues and Reds fielded a combined side, and while many of the Services players cannot appear, Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly and Manager George Kay have chosen a well-balanced team, and, if one remembers that George Jackson has played brilliantly for both clubs during the war, each club is represented by 5 ½ players. Nothing could be fairer than that Lawton of course, is barred from playing because of his match with England on Saturday and trip to Italy on Sunday. We have all the making of thrill packed encounter for the Command have selected their team wisely, ensuring a nice blend and with “names” as well as ability. There will be three internationals, while the Merseyside team includes two internationals in Jackson and Boyes. The pleasing point about the “Liverton” side is that no fewer than eight of the eleven players have been found and developed by our own clubs. The exceptions are Phil Taylor transferred from Bristol Rovers, Wally Boyes (Everton) secured him from West Bromwich and Geoff Gulliver a Reading player brought out by Liverpool. All the others came from junior clubs to be groomed here, and no fewer than five were actually born in Liverpool or Bootle. Another Bentham was born only just outside the city, so whichever way you look at it this is a side really representative of the area and with that balance of youth which I think will offset, the greater experience of the Command team. The kick-off is at 6.30 p.m. and I look to a fine game and a fine crowd. Everton and Liverpool; Burnett (Everton); Jackson (Everton), Gulliver (Liverpool); Kaye (Liverpool), Hughes (Liverpool), Watson (Everton); Campbell (Liverpool), Bentham (Everton), Wyles (Everton), Taylor (Liverpool), Boyes (Everton). Western Command; Fairbrother (Preston); Sproston (Manchester City and England), Jefferson (Queen’s Park Rangers), Wright (Wolves), Stuart (Blackpool), Harris (Birmingham and England); Hancock (Walsall), Dix (Tottenham), Durant (Brentford), Bremner (Arsenal and Scotland), White (Preston North End).

May 1, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Fred Sweeney Everton’s winger, who played several first team games in the early days of the war, is now home after eighteen months in a Germany P.O.W camp. So far Everton on have had no word as to the whereabouts of Johnny Lyon and Bill Reed, two other players who were prisoners.

May 2, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Nominations for the Everton board closed yesterday and there are now five candidates in addition to the two retiring directors Messrs W.C. Cuff, and R.E. Searle. These are Messrs A. Denaro, F.W. lake, J. Carson, and T. Nuttall, who have been nominated some little time and last but by no means least. Mr. Ernest Edwards better know to reader’s as “Bee” whose claims to consideration are obvious for what he doesn’t know about Soccer isn’t worth knowing. There we can leave the matter for the times being. The annual meeting won’t be for a couple of months and much may happen before them. There may be some withdrawal.

May 3, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
The Football Association has given permission for Soccer matches as part of the V.E. Day celebrations. Clubs may play on both the public holidays, so long as they occur before May 26, which as the official end of the season. Portsmouth and Aston Villa were the first to fix up a V.E. –one Day game. Then Everton and Tranmere arranged similarly for their Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final and others will doubtless follow suit.
The Everton board will support the two retiring directors Messrs W.C. Cuff and R.E. Searle, and leave the third vacancy to the shareholders at the annual meeting.

May 3, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
John Peel
The Liverton v
Western Command match at Goodison Park last night ended in a victory for the former by 4-3. “Liverton” took an early lead through a goal by Wyles but there were many instances when that lead should have been increased for their forwards were much the more forceful. The solitary goal stood the test to the interval, but afterwards Liverton went further ahead, through goals by Boyes, who accomplished the hat-trick. The Command however, did not ghost for they put up a rally which yielded three goals to Durrant, Newsome, and Chapman. The play was attractive because the ball was kept on the ground, and the passing was so accurate that it became almost clock-like in its precision. The whole of the Liverton forwards were on top gear, with perhaps the exception of Campbell. On the Command side Dix had an excellent first half when he produced every trick and pass known to the game. All the half-backs were good. Liverton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Gulliver, backs; Pilling, Hughes and Watson, half-backs; Campbell, Bentham, Wyles, Taylor, and Boyes, forwards. Western Command; Hall (Bolton), goal; Cater (West Ham) and Jefferson (Queen’s Park Rangers), backs; Attwell (West Ham), Suart (Blackpool), and Harris (Birmingham) half-backs; Newsome (W.B.A), Dunnes (West Ham), Durrant (Brentford), Dix (Tottenham), and Chapman (PNE), forwards. Referee; Mr. A.M. Cunningham (Liverpool).

May 3, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton name 12 players for their visit to Accrington. The defence remains unchanged and Rawlings and Makin are included among the six forwards. The name of Alex Stevenson is missing for wee Alex who has been one of football’s outstanding inside-forwards of the season and a “prince” among opening creators has gone overseas. Alex was given a fine send-off by his colleagues at the week end. Goodison Park will stage two cup finals on Saturday, Marine and Randle will contest the Mahon Cup followed by Marine Reserves against Castner Kelliner in the Wavertree Cup. The Sawyer cup final takes place at Goodison on Monday evening between C.D. Cadets and Edgehill Locos. Other Saturday games are County Combination Liverpool University V. Everton Reserves.
Wally Boyes the Everton international under the keen eyes of the Western Command selectors was the star of an entertaining game at Goodison Park last night, when the combined Everton and Liverpool team defeated the Western Command 4-3. Boyes scored a brilliant second half hat-trick, and altogether gave an exhibition which brought back memories of Wally finest display of the 1939 championship season. Boyes was brilliantly serve by subtle Taylor and précising passer Watson, and worried the Army’s defence to distraction by his quickness in changing position and finding the open space. The “Liverton” attack was much superior to that of the Command and until the later stages the defence was as steady as a rock with Jackson captain for the night, and Hughes outstanding. Wyles gave “Liverton” the lead in four minutes, but soon after half-time Durant equalised. Then Bentham completely outwitted the Army defence by going through magnificently to give Boyes his first goal, the ball going off Jefferson’s foot. Boyes cracked home a beauty after Taylor allowed the ball to pass between his legs and headed through a Wyles pass to complete his tally. Newsome reduced the lead from a corner and then Chapman went through on his own to narrow the margin in a game produced much good football for the 8,410 spectators, who paid £485 for the Command welfare Fund.

Tribute To Mr. Cuff
Liverpool Evening Express - Saturday 05 May 1945
Football has paid yet another grand tribute to Mr. William C, Cuff, in making him president of the Football League for the sixth year in succession, and so the man who has steered the League through troublous war-time waters will be able to take it to the more placid peacetime waters. The coming re-election of Mr. Cuff Is also a tribute Merseyside itself, and I know the clubs could make no better choice. Mr. Cuff is held in the highest possible esteem by all connected with the game and by none more than myself. The members of the Manage- Committee regard Mr. Cuff as a "wonder man " and Mr. Harrv French, one of the members. said fo me, Without Bill Cuff, football could never have survived the war years," That expression is endorsed all Mr. Cuff entered football with Everton in 1892, and hit contribution to the game is unparalleled in history confident the Everton shareholders will pay tribute to Mr. Cuff giving him every vote at the forthcoming directorial election. That is, If election takes place, but whispers reaching me make is still possible for this to be avoided. Watch for developments.

May 13, 1945, The Liverpool Echo
Players Perturbed
Ranger’s Notes
The framework of the football future will be decided at the special League meeting at Manchester next Monday when the Post-war Reconstruction Committee recommendation, plus a host of club amendments come up for consideration. All sorts of topics are airing. Some are hoary be-whiskered ones that have agitated Soccer’s legislators from the cradle days. Others bear the hallmark of the modern outlook. No need for me to go into them in detail again. You have been well informed in this column of what is in the wind, but a quick run through the major points will refresh your memory. First of all the clubs have to decide the constitution of next winter’s competition. Six months ago they arranged that if the European war was over before next season they would go back to the pre-war grouping. There is now a feeling that involves too much travel hence an amendment that first and second division clubs be lumped together and grouped geographically. North and South. It sounds all right, but what about the poor Third Divisioners ? It is suggested they should operate as in normal times which means some would have outrageous trips to make. If the big clubs cannot do it, how can the Third? The fact is that the seniors want to part company with the “mimmows” as soon as possible. They have served their war time purpose. But while they may feel there is unseemly haste in cutting them off, they are not being turned adrift with only the proverbial shilling. Most have done better financially, all things considered, than their bigger brethren.
Players Not Pleased
One point which does not seen to have struck anybody yet is the recommendation that the £4 match fee during the transitional period shall be paid to only fourteen players. I was the first to say my piece about this niggardly fee for a demobbed soldier who has no other profession but football, so we’ll let that aspect go. But what is going to happen to demobbed men who can’t get into the paid ranks of the lucky fourteen? Before the transitional period is over many clubs will have more than fourteen “regulars” including those who have been playing all through the war. I can tell you that lots of players are anything but pleased other with the immediate post-war outlook or the long-distance angle. They feel they are not getting a square deal, considering the increased best of living. The players union more or less quiescent during the war, is stirring itself. I can’t say any more now, but if the Union achieves the numerical strength it is aiming for, look out for squalls. Coming down to the recommendations for the return to normal football, we find Luton Town proposing the old four up and four down theory; the Southern clubs riding their old hobby-horse of geographical representation on the League Management Committee and transfer of headquarters to London, the Third Divisioners out for bigger voting powers, and a host of other things did and new.
Everton’s Ideals
Luton ask the League to retain its own Cup competition on the home-and-away principles, in preference to the F.A. Cup. Everton recognising the League’s loyalty to the F.A. suggest that the F.A. Cup from round three to six should be home-and-away. The vexed question of transfers is the subject of several ideas, bright and otherwise and there is a Management Committee proposals that players normal maximum wages should be £9 (winter) and £7 (summer), and not the pre-war £* and £6. On this point there was a strong committee minority in favour of the old rates plus cost of living bonuses which would have pleased players much better. Referees’ fees are subject for several amendments, varying from four guineas to £10 a match. The proposal which will get a lot of support is Everton’s idea that one-half of the F.A.’s share of Cup Final and international match receipts should go to the League. Seeing the League clubs make these matches the success they are, that’s a fair enough.
Blues Semi-Final Side
Everton name twelve probable’s for their Lancashire Cup semi-final game against Accrington, at Accrington on Saturday as follows;- Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; forwards from; Rawlings, Catterick, Wyles, Bentham, Boyes, Makin.
Boyes Was Great
For sheer football entertainment the Liverton –Western Command match at Goodison Park last night was as good as anything I have seen this season. It was good because it was played as if like to see Soccer played for the ground. There was nothing haphazard about it, and along with seven goals –four to Liverton –the crowd quite enjoyed the fare. Wally Boyes stole most of the thunder, and there were some heavy peals. He played his best game for a considerable time. He seemed to recover his confidence and dribbled cleverly and shot with amazing power, scoring a hat-trick. He and Taylor made up a fine wing. Dix’s play was another feature; in fact, the Command were equally as good in combination as their rivals, and their second half rally, which produced them three goals brought nearly as much excitement into the proceedings as one would have expected had there been anything at stake. The gross gate of £485 (8,410) spectators will be a good help t Service charities.
Everton Shareholders
I have been asked to remind Everton shareholders of the meeting at the Stork Hotel on Monday (7.30). All Shareholders invited whether members of the association or not. The meeting has been called to decide on the best course of action in the interest of shareholders and their club, in connection with the pending elections.

May 4, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Mr. W.C. Cuff of Everton Football Club will be re-elected President of the Football League unopposed at the annual meeting this summer. Mr. Arthur Oakley, of Wolverhampton Wanderers will be re-elected senior Vice President, also unopposed, but one nomination has been received for a seat on the Management Committee. The nomination has been submitted on behalf of Mr. Stanley L. Blenkinsopp of Leeds United who has Merseyside connections. Mr. Blenkinsopp opposes the three retiring members –Messrs Arthur Drewery (Grimsby Town), Harry French (Middlesbrough) and Phillp Wood (Huddersfield).
Cup Semi-Final
Everton break new ground for wartime in going to Peel Park with its curious slope to tackle Accrington Stanley in the Lancashire Cup semi-final first leg. The winners quality to meet either Blackburn Rovers of Crewe Alexandra in the final. Stanley’s progress has been virtue of wins over Blackpool and Burnley while Everton were disposing of Chester, and Southport and offer pretty stiff opposition, especially at home. If Everton can avoid defeat tomorrow then I think they will reach the final, but it is not going to be easy. Bentham showed us on Wednesday that he is going to make a capable deputy for Stevenson at inside-left and Harry Catterick’s striking force will be useful at inside-right. The Blues main doubt is outside-left, but I take Everton to succeed. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; (from) Rawlings, Catterick, Wyles, Bentham, Boyes, Makin.

May 4, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Next item on the agenda is Everton’s duel bid for the Lancashire Cup and the League championship. Their own shortcoming lost from a vital point against Southport last week. I hope there will be repetition in the semi-final against Accrington Stanley at Accrington. While the Stanley are not a bad side in their own ground, Everton ought to win and can win if they will remember that nothing counts in the end but goals. Everton won the last pre-war championship; it would be nice to see a repeat performance in the last war season. Their defence is strong enough to keep Accrington at bay. Jackson is playing better than ever. Greenhalgh is fir again and with Humphreys in the middle plus two solid wing halves –Watson’s display on Wednesday was brilliantly –I can’t see Accrington’s forwards having much scope. That means the onus is on the Everton attack. Boyes was an eye-opener against the Western Command. Another display like that and it will be in the bag. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; (from) Rawlings, Catterick, Wyles, Bentham, Boyes, Makin.

May 5, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Brilliant Run For Everton
By Stork.
Accrington Stanley; Holdcroft, goal; Eastwood and Wilson, backs; Cockburn, Briggs (Manchester United), and Malcolm, half-backs; Conroy, Rothwell, Livingstone (Bury), Keeley, and Rudd (Manchester City), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Catterick, Wyles, Bentham and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. S. Ormrod (Bolton). Everton had to rearrange their forward line for their Lancashire Cup semi-final at Accrington. Rawlings returning and Bentham moving to inside left. Everton had the ball in the home net inside a minute the goal being negatived for offside- a doubtful decision to my mind. There was no denying Accrington’s ability and their left wing opened a way which was distinctly dangerous, but Keeley shot wide. Everton scored in the 13th minute Rawlings scoring after the ball made a brilliant run on the right.

May 5, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Accrington Cup-tie
For the first time for many years Everton were at Accrington today, in the first leg of the Lancashire Senior Cup. Both sides were without their centre-forwards. Lawton being on international duty, and Mercer, the Accrington leader, having undergone an operation. Accrington had Livingstone of Bury, as they leader, and Rudd of Manchester City as outside-left. Accrington Stanley; Holdcroft, goal; Eastwood and Wilson, backs; Cockburn, Briggs (Manchester United) and Malcolm, half-backs; Conroy, Rothwell, Livingstone (Bury), Keeley, and Rudd (Manchester City), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Catterick, Wyles, Bentham and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. S. Ormrod. Everton went away at the start for Briggs to put back to Holdcroft with Wyles threatening. Wyles later netted but Bentham had been given off-side. When Accrington hit back, Keeley put the ball through the middle but Burnett won a race with Livingstone for the ball. Then Boyes got away, beat three men and sent an a dazzling shot, which Holdcroft just tripped over. Play moved swiftly from end to end and Burnett had to save from Rudd. Rawlings put Everton ahead after eleven minutes, following a fine run on the right. When Accrington put on pressure the ball was three times headed out of the Everton goal. The visiting defence were very sound, however, and scoring chances were rare. Rudd had a good chance, but shot wide.
The Everton right wing was clever and Rawlings was the master of Wilson. Accrington drew level after Livingstone had run to the left, and centred, Rudd converting. The Accrington goal had a narrow escape when Rawlings sailed in and his shot hit Holdcrofft.
Half-time; Accrington 1, Everton 1.
The Everton goal was assailed by the Accrington left wing early in the second half, with Burnett out of goal Rudd shot from the edge of the penalty area. The ball skimmed the bar. At the other end Boyes dribbled into the goal and show low but his effort lacked power and Holdcroft cleared.

May 7, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Accrington 1, Everton 1
Lack of Forward Punch
By Stork.
Everton’s prospects of winning this season’s League championship were further reduced when they failed to win at Accrington on Saturday. From their Lancashire Cup bid point of view the score 1-1 was satisfactory; although they must not take the return game for granted, for Stanley’s are a lively and capable lot. Everton missed their way because their forward line was minus the punch necessary to penetrate the Stanley defence more than once. This defence was smashed wide open in 12 minutes when Rawlings failed to score the day’s first goal, but after it was a closed door to the Everton forwards although Boyes with all the goal to shoot at should have beaten Holdcroft instead of shooting tamely into his hands.
A Fair Score
The final score was perhaps the right one for the Stanley missed several good openings which definitely should have been accepted. On the wings they were greatly superior ton Everton, for Rudd, the Manchester City left winger, and Conroy on the right, often swept through the Everton defence by smart football. But the inside men were not equal to accepting the opening offered and made for them by this pair. By the same token, Everton’s attack caused little trouble to Holdcroft for he was too well covered and the shots he had to deal with could be counted on the fingers of one hand. He actually parried Rawling’s first shot but before he could recover possession the ball was bracked back into the net by the Everton winger. Briggs the Stanley centre half back, was the bogey man, for Wyles who rarely got a sight of goal, although when he netted in the early moments of the game. I thought the referee erred when he negative a goal on the score of offside. It was only poetic justice that Rudd should score Accrington’s equaliser for he was the best forward afield. Accrington Stanley; Holdcroft, goal; Eastwood and Wilson, backs; Cockburn, Briggs (Manchester United) and Malcolm, half-backs; Conroy, Rothwell, Livingstone (Bury), Keeley, and Rudd (Manchester City), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Catterick, Wyles, Bentham and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. S. Ormrod.
• Liverpool won 3-2 v Oldham, Taylor, Nieuwenhuys, Shannon, for Liverpool, and Standring, Brierley, for Oldham
• England beat Wales 3-2, at Cardiff, Lawton and Mercer played for England.

May 7, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Not since the infant days of the Football League had Everton visited Peel Park to tackle Accrington Stanley, and they will not readily forget the warm reception given them on Saturday, whom a 1-1 draw placed them well on the way to the Lancashire Cup Final. Everton were the more assertive and after Rawlings had given them the lead might have clinched it there and then for the chance was there. However the Stanley strengthened by several star guest got back to equality and contrived to hold Everton, who appeared cramped on a narrow small ground with the funny slope. Form indicates an Everton success at Goodison Park next week, when the game will be followed by the second leg of the F.A. Youths’ (Minor) cup semi-final between Liverpool and Staffordshire.

May 8, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton’s Bombshell
The carrying of a revolutionary proposal by Everton that one half of the F.A s share of the Cup finals and full international match receipts should be allocated to the Football League, provided the big surprised of the League’s special meeting in Manchester yesterday, but the liveliest talking was done in the lobbies afterwards. Third Division club representatives, in informal discussion, heatedly critised the First and second Division clubs for failing to allow the Third Division more voting powers and better promotion prospects and for deciding that the Third Division should operate as in normal times during the transitional period. Officials of half a dozen Third Division clubs declared their intention of calling a special meeting. Third Division dissatisfaction was started by the acceptance of an Arsenal amendment early in the meeting, that during the transition period, First and second Division clubs should combine into North and South Divisions, and that the Third Division should operate as in normal times. Other decisions reached were –No change in the transfer and registration system. No regular League Cup in preference to the F.A. Cup although a victory cup might be considered for next season. F.A. to be asked for home and away F.A cup ties from the third round to the sixth. Deferment of financial matters affecting players wages agreement, bonuses and benefits in normal times until more facts were known regarding employment regulations.

May 8, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
In view of the circumstance the business at last night’s meeting of Everton shareholders was speedily disposed of, and another meeting is to be fixed for a more acceptable date. Mr. A.N. Denero said it was the committee’s intention to make the Shareholders Association a strong virile body with as large a membership as possible. Their aim would be to see that no single person could reach a position where he could dictate who should of should not go on the board. Mr. T. Nuttall who is a candidate for the Everton board, has joined the Association and last night outlined the position, “I have not joined just to get your support” he said “but because I feel Everton is in danger of domination.” The only way we can combat that menace is to be co-operating through this association. Every shareholder should be made to realise the danger with which we are faced. Mr. Nuttall added that he will which by the Association’s decision regarding candidates. If it is decided that Mr. Denaro shall be the only admires, then he Mr. Nuttall will withdraw and gave wholehearted support to Mr. Denaro.

May 10, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Tranmere Rovers 0, Everton 3
The first leg of the Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final between Tranmere Rovers and Everton at Prenton yesterday resulted in a 3-0 win for Everton. It was an entertaining game, ideal fare for the holiday and Tranmere with more of the play than the result indicates put up a show.
• Liverpool beat Preston 5-1 Kaye (penalty), Taylor (2), Shannon (2)

May 11, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have dropped two vital League points in their last two Saturday games. Their failure to win the first leg of the Lancashire Cup semi-final at Accrington last week was due to poor finishing. They should do better this time, and I have little fear about their ability to get through to the final. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Forwards from; Rawlings, Bentham, Catterick, Boyes, Wyles, Makin.

May 12, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Cliff Britton, Everton’s international wing half-back, is in the short list for the vacancy managership of Burnley. Britton has already been interviewed and I understand created a favourable impression. The appointment will not be made for some days, for other applicants are due for interview. Among those also in the running are Jack Brunton the England outside-right who played for Burnley and Blackburn Rovers. Britton joined Everton in 1930 from Bristol Rovers and was a member of the 1933 cup-winning team, a superb footballer and a gentleman both on and off the field. Burnley will make no mistake if they appoint Cliff who first played for England in 1935.

May 12, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Lancs Cup Semi-Final
By Pilot
Wyles returned to Everton’s team in the second “leg” of the Lancashire Senior Cup semi-final with Accrington Stanley at Goodison Park today, going outside left, with Boyes on the inside. The Stanley side included “guests” from the Manchester clubs. The teams started on level terms and the winners met either Blackburn Rovers or Crewe Alexandra in the final; Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-back; Rawlings (Millwall), Bentham, Catterick, Boyes and Wyles, forwards. Accrington Stanley; Holdcroft, goal; Eastwood and Wilson, backs; Cockburn, Briggs (Manchester United), and Malcolm, half-backs; Conroy, Rothwell, Livingstone (Bury), Keeley, and Rudd (Manchester City), forwards. Everton were the first to show their paces but Eastwood intervened to prevent Boyes from dashing through. Grant and Rawlings combined splendidly for Rawlings to centre to the far post where Wyles with an even money chance hooked over the bar. This should have been a goal. Bad kicking on the part of the Everton defenders three times placed their goal in jeopardy, and once Burnett had to run to the edge of the penalty area to hold up Livingstone.
Burnett’s Saves
Rudd forced a corner but this was easily disposed of. Burnett saved a long shot from Rothwell, and then leapt to save a header from Livingstone just under the bar. Boyes ran clean through but at the crucial moment was headed off by Briggs. Stanley were the more impressive side, and after some indifferent play by Everton, Livingstone just over the top. Watson tried to enliven Everton with three choice centres to the goalmouth, but each time Briggs dashed in to head away before damage could be done. Everton’s opening play had been lifeless, and there was a lack of co-ordination between men and departments. Rawlings gained a corner and from this Wyles headed over. In 20 minutes Accrington took the lead, and it was certainly in keeping with the run of the game. A centre by Conway rebounded from Jackson to Keeley, who scored with a fast shot into the top corner of the net. Just after Keeley was through again but this drove outside.

May 12, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Everton Play Down to “Hard Facts”
By Stork
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-back; Rawlings (Millwall), Bentham, Catterick, Boyes and Wyles, forwards. Accrington Stanley; Holdcroft, goal; Eastwood and Wilson, backs; Cockburn, Briggs (Manchester United), and Malcolm, half-backs; Conroy, Rothwell, Livingstone (Bury), Keeley, and Rudd (Manchester City), forwards. Referee; Mr. S.F. Jackson (Preston). Accrington Stanley fielded as unchanged side for the second game in the Lancashire cup semi-final at Goodison Park, but Everton made one or two positional changes. The day was fine and better for cricket, but there was quite a nice crowd. They saw Everton, through Rawlings and Grant make progress through perfect football which only fell through when Wyles failed to turn Rawlings final pass to account. Stanley showed what they could do and Burnett had to save from Conway and also a header from Livingstone. Everton were inclined to be rather lackadaisical in their work. They wanted to treat the Stanley in matter-of-fact style, and this did not pay, for Accrington were determined and Livingstone, in particular, was keen to air his shooting ability, one or two of his shots being near the mark while others were off the mark.
Stanley Score
Briggs, their centre-half was particularly robust down the middle and his flaxton could be seen incessantly wherever the fight was most furious. Stanley scored at 20 minutes and Keeley was the scorer. He got his chance through a misheader by Jackson, the Everton full back nodding the ball right to his best. Then came the shot –a good one at that –the ball flying of Burnett’s left hand. There was almost a second goal in the next minute. Holdcroft had so far enjoyed a spectators view of the match, but he was at last called upon to go down quickly to prevent a Bentham effort entering his net. Rudd, one of last week’s succession, was being well held today, but Conway was again showing pace and centring ability. The sun aid the hard ground affected the play.

May 14, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 0, Accrington 2
By Stork
Accrington Stanley won their way to the final of the Lancashire Cup when they defeated Everton 2-0 at Goodison Park in the second leg of the tie on Saturday. On the aggregate they won by 3-1. They were worthy of their win, being more assertive and putting more into their play than Everton, who seemed to treat the game lightly. But Stanley’s success was due in the main to defence, in which Briggs was outstanding. This guest players from Manchester United, did not allow the Everton inside forwards the slightest rope, and he could be seen wherever danger threatened. The goals came one in each half, the first in 20 minutes when Keeley picked up a misheader by Jackson and crashed the ball into the net. The second goal arrived one minute after the interval, and it was Rudd who made it possible. He sent the ball right across the field to the front of the Everton goal, and Conroy came along and hit a tremendous drive, the ball going in off the underside of the crossbar. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-back; Rawlings (Millwall), Bentham, Catterick, Boyes and Wyles, forwards. Accrington Stanley; Holdcroft, goal; Eastwood and Wilson, backs; Cockburn, Briggs (Manchester United), and Malcolm, half-backs; Conroy, Rothwell, Livingstone (Bury), Keeley, and Rudd (Manchester City), forwards.
• Liverpool beat Oldham 7-0. Kinghorn, Patterson, Westby, Pilling, Taylor (2), Nieuwenhuys.

May 14, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There is no disputing that the 9,906 spectators who attended Goodison Park on Saturday received two shocks, for not only did Accrington Stanley put paid to Everton’s League and Lancashire Cup hopes by winning 2-0 but immediately after Liverpool F.A. suffered one of the luckiest defeats imaginable in the semi-final of the F.A. Youths (Minor) cup at the hands of Staffordshire. First to Everton’s rather ignominious exit. In truth they fell to a fine side mainly on the youthful side with boundless energy and not a little ability. Everton gave a disappointing show, chiefly because there was no link-up between men or department and little real control of a lively ball. The Blues needed five seconds to do what the Stanley could accomplished in one, and the ease with which they were dispossessed became monotonously tantalising. The only Everton player to operate entirely without blemish was Burnett who had no possible chance with Keeley’s well-directed first-half scorer or Conroy’s might volley early in the second half. Territorially Everton had much more of the game, and near the end it looked as if they would pull it out of the fire, but when Catterick’s header came back off the bar with Holdcroft beaten it was “finis” There is no need to individualise after this display for apart from Burnett it was entirely a team failure.

May 14, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton are out of the Lancashire Cup. Accrington saw to that when they deservedly won the second leg at Goodison Park and I am afraid their championship bid is also at an end for they do not seem likely to pull back Derby County. They have been seen in a poor light in their last three games and I think I can safely say that the main cause has been the absence of Stevenson, the man who held the line together and made openings with canny passes. The line without him has been “highly higgledy” not together, and consequently without a set plan or punch. Accrington put plenty of vim into their play; not that they were without skill for they had that in plenty, but they found Everton in the mood when they will persist in finesse; were slow to move to the ball and consequently fell to opponents who were only too eager to gain possession. The Stanley shot more; sometimes with little prospect of scoring, but in showed in what frame of mind they were in. Eventually they did land the ball in the net through Keeley and even had that not been sufficient, Conroy came along with a terrific shot; it was a hit or miss endeavour, and it hit. No goalkeeper on earth could have saved that one. Everton never looked like scoring.

May 17, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will introduce Hedley, the young right-back signed from North Shields some weeks ago, in their match with Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park on Monday in the second leg of the Liverpool Senior Cup final. Hedley is a lad of high promise, and it will be interesting to see how he shapes on his debut. Wainwright is on leave and will play. Ashley the young reserve inside-forward or wing-half, gets his first team chance on Saturday when Everton visit Stoke City at the Victoria ground. Everton will have an entirely new right wing for Ashley plays inside with George Makin, as his partner. Catterick leads the forwards with Bentham at inside-left and Boyes at outside left. The defence is the “old-reliable” Humphreys again being available for centre-half. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Makin, A. Ashley, Catterick, Bentham, Boyes.
There has been no change in the position regarding the vacancy on the Everton directorate, there still being four candidates in the field against the two retiring directors –Messrs W.C. Cuff, and R.E. Searle.

May 18, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton make a right-wing experiment for tomorrow’s visit to Stoke City, for George Makin the erstwhile outside-left crosses to the other flank and will be partnered by Ashley the lad who has been doing so well with the Reserves. Catterick leads the attack, with Bentham linking up with Boyes on the left, while there is no change in the rare division. This is a big task for Everton against a side well balanced and incisive. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Makin, A. Ashley, Catterick, Bentham, Boyes.

May 18, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
It would be just like Everton having been beaten once and held to a draw twice to Third Division sides, to weigh in with a win against Stoke City at Stoke. That is the sort of tantalising things they do, though recent performances haven’t encouraged much hope of it, even if Stoke are without Matthews, Franklin and Soo. Everton are trying an experiment by introducing Ashley, an amateur from the Colts with Makin as his partner. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Makin, A. Ashley, Catterick, Bentham, Boyes.

May 19, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Stoke City; Leigh, goal; Brigham and Watkin, backs; Mountford (S.), Cowden, and Kirton, half-backs; Mountford (G.), Sellars, Sale, Jackson, and Bayford, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Makin, Ashley, Catterick, Bentham, and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Jones. Everton played their selected side, but Stoke, without their four internationals’ Soo, Franklin, Matthews and Steele gave a trial to W. Leigh a young goalkeeper and to Bayford at outside left. Everton made most of the running in the early exchanges, but the visiting forwards even, allowing for Stoke’s solid defensive play were indifferent and their finishing in front of goal. The City’s half backs however, soon gained firm control over the Everton attack, and Stoke showing good teamwork, settled down effectively to return the pressure. Stoke made effective use of their wingers, Mountford (G.) and Bayford who forced the pace, and Burnett in the visitors goal was in across to save from Sellars, Sale, and Mountford (G.). The later play favoured Stoke but Everton yielded little in defence, while Greenhalgh and Humphreys each rendered good services.

May 21, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Stoke City 5, Everton 1
Stoke City’s bobby of experimenting with promising junior players served them in good stead in their final home match of the season against Everton. Two of the succession in Stoke’s 5-1 win were Leigh (goalkeeper) and Brayford (left winger), both nineteen-years-old amateurs. Individually Everton’s side often showed the more classic constructive football, but Stoke had more verve and dash. Experience was very much second best to youthful enthusiasm and opportunism. Everton hardly deserved however to lose by so substantial a margin. They often had Stoke’s defence hard pressed, though the Merseyside team had themselves to blame for being limited to a solitary goal. In goal Burnett had an unfortunate day. Three of Stoke’s goals resulted from mistakes on his part. Stoke City; Leigh, goal; Brigham and Watkin, backs; Mountford (S.), Cowden, and Kirton, half-backs; Mountford (G.), Sellars, Sale, Jackson, and Bayford, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Makin, Ashley, Catterick, Bentham, and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Jones.
• Liverpool beat Blackpool 2-0, Fagan (2)

May 21, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton crashed at Stoke City after shaping well in the first half. The City won 5-1, Catterick getting the Blues lone point. The score tended to flatter the City whose first goal was scored after Burnett had been knocked into the net. Everton held their own but lacked an inspiring force.
Leslie Doyle, 17-year-old captain of the Liverpool County F.A. eleven, has signed professional for Everton, for whom he has been playing as an amateur.

May 21, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Stoke tried out several of their junior members against Everton, and the experiment was highly successful. Everton were the more scientific side but the City’s youthful enthusiasm, and dash carried the day. Everton hardly deserved to be beaten by a 5-1 margin, for they had many scoring opportunities, which however, they scorned. Poor finishing has been their portion for some weeks and it was again in evidence at the Victoria ground. Two of Stoke’s youngsters stood out, for Leigh the goalkeeper showed fine form, and Rayford the outside left gave a display which bodes well for the future.

May 21 1945. The Evening Express
Senior Cup Final
By Pilot.
Jimmy Logan, of Rutherglen Glencairn made his debut for Everton when they entertained Tranmere Rovers at Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park today, in the second leg of the Liverpool Senior Cup final in which they held a 3 goal lead. Logan was one of the stars of the Naval team which played at Goodison Park last Tuesday. The Rovers had three newcomers in Anderson, formerly of Hibernian, McIntosh of Queen’s Park, and Nightingale a 16-year-old full back from the Colt’s team. Everton; Burnett, goal; Hedley and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Makin, Bentham, Wyles, Logan, and Boyes, forwards. Tranmere Rovers; Butler, goal; Nightingale, and Williamson (S.), backs; Salmon, Southall, and Richards, half-backs; Anderson (Hibernains), Athkinson, Rosenthal, and McIntosh (Queen’s Park), forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Ormskirk). The Rovers were the first to show their paces, Atkinson dashing through after a slip by Humphreys but placing over the bar. In four minutes Everton took the lead from a corner. This was neatly placed by Makin to the near post, and Bentham headed in accurately. Boyes ran through, and from the centre-forward position drove over the top, before Butler came out to hold up Logan. Burnett leapt out to pull down a dangerous cross from McIntosh, before Atkinson placed outside after good work by Rosenthal.
Butler ‘s Save
Philpotts cut in to place just over the top as the Rovers attacked strongly, Wyles and Logan went through cleverly before Logan took a shot on the volley, Butler pulling the ball down magnificently. Hedley the former North Shields boy, neatly intercepted Rosenthal and twice held up McIntosh. Burnett saved a brilliant cross-shot from Anderson. Everton increased their lead in 23 minutes through Wyles.

May 22, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
At Goodison we had many entertaining moments and an opportunity of casting eyes on some more of the youngsters being groomed for the “big-time.” I met Mr. Harry Mansley and Mr. Frank Brown, of Chester, taking a marked interest in the juniors, and if they took a fancy to any in this game they would not be making a mistake. Everton have found an exceptionally good back in Hedley from North Shields, who gave a faultless exhibition; being fast but never impetuous, having a cute sense of position, and kicking well with both feet. Hedley’s hooking with either took on the half-turn was masterly. Jimmy Logan from Rutherglen gave promise of good things. His ideas are right; he thinks a move ahead and can hit a ball.. Jimmy Southall lived up to all Tranmere Rovers claims about him as an outstanding centre-half discovery and Stuart Williamson again delighted me by a strength of tackle and kick totally denying his stature. Williamson is a young edition of Arthur Owen and I can think of no higher praise. The new-comer, Nightingale, only 16, is another back with the necessary aptitudes, and there were touches from Philpotts, and Anderson which stamped them as players of the future in a game watched by 6,722 spectators (receipts £428) with Bentham and Wyles giving Everton an interval lead, before Wyles converted a penalty, Rosenthal who with Salmon and Richards constituted the main-spring of most of the Rovers progressive work in the second half, reduced the lead before Boyes got through for Everton, always masters of the game. The Rovers were always dangerous and would have scored more often had it not been for the brilliance of Burnett in the Everton goal. Bentham. I though the best forward afield, with Watson and Grant splendid half-backs.

May 24, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton make four changes from the side which defeated Tranmere Rovers for the final match of the season –against Stoke City, at Goodison Park on Saturday. Jackson returns to right back in place of Hedley, this being the only defensive alteration, while in attack the youngster Ashley comes back to inside right as partner to Makin. Bentham crossing to inside left in place of Logan; McIntosh plays outside left for Boyes. There is no news of the Everton annual meeting which is creating such interest because of the election, but looking back though the balance sheets I think the shareholders can look forward to a little welcome “bonus” It is two years since Everton paid any dividend, but you will recall that in 1942 they paid three years dividends at once. Maybe the directors intend to make 1945 another year-year dividend. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Makin, Ashley, Wyles, Bentham, McIntosh.

May 25, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Stoke bring a blend of youth and experience but if Everton can win they will become runners-up in the League to derby County –assuming that no bonus points are allowed. Liverpool seeing that they cannot play now overtake the County. The match between the First division rivals starts at three o’clock and will be followed immediately after –and with no extra charge –by the Liverpool A.T.C. Liverpool Wing Cup final between Squadron No 7 and Squadron No. 1913. (Norman Wilkinson’s Own). Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Makin, Ashley, Wyles, Bentham, McIntosh. Stoke City; Leigh; Brigham, Watkin; Mountford (F.), Cowden, Kirton; Mountford (G.), Sellars, Sale, Jackson, Payford.

May 26, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Chic Heath, Ashley, Wyles, Bentham, and Makin, forwards. Stoke City; Leigh, goal; Brigham and McCue, backs; Mountford (F.), Cowden, and Kirton, half-backs; Mountford (S.), Sellars, Sale, Bowyer, and Basnett, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Williams. Everton wound up their season at Goodison Park with a visit from Stoke City, and took this opportunity to make further experiments in the forward line, giving another trial to Ashley the Northwich inside right who did quite well last week. At outside right they had Chic Heath, a youngster from the Litherland Boys club, who has been showing good form with the Colts. Stoke fielded a very strong eleven with Basnett and Bowyer on the left wing and McQue at left back. Stoke were the first to make their presence felt when Bowyer and Basnett combined well and a cross field pass from the winger gave Mountford (G.) a chance which was only negatived after a scramble in the goalmouth. In three minutes Everton were a goal to the good, chiefly through the good work of the youngster Heath, who gave Wyles a quick return pass close to goal and the centre, refusing to be bustled off by McQue, forged his way through and scored easily. A minute later the other Stoke back Brigham, was in trouble when Makin rounded him but unfortunately overran the ball. The visitors defence seemed shaky under pressure; and twice Wyles was almost through. Ashley was playing well and up to now the experimental wing was the better of the two. The two Mountford and Sellers gave us a taste of their worth with a triangle movement which was only broken up when Grant appeared from nowhere. Burnett made a one-handed save from Bowyer, while Bentham gave Heath another chance of fame, but the winger was robbed as he was about to shoot. Bentham’s forward passes often spelled danger to the Stoke defenders without getting their full reward.

May 28, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 3, Stoke City 2
Whether it was the blend of youth and experience in the forward line for just that last game of the season “dash” there is no doubt that the Everton attack showed more fire against Stoke City at Goodison Park on Saturday than for some weeks, and they thoroughly deserved their victory of three goals to two. Many thought at the outset that the home side were taking unnecessary risks in trying out Cyril Heath of the Litherland Boys Club, and Ashley of Northwich against the stalwarts of Stoke, but they were quicker relieved when in the third minute Heath gave Wyles a quick return pass to the right spot and the centre gave Everton the lead. Ashley too, played well enough for the absence of Stevenson, not to be felt, particularly as Bentham did great work as general provider. When Bowyer made the score level with a surprise shot which Burnett only saw as the ball pasted him. It looked as if Stoke were going to take command, but the lively Everton right wing gave Leigh the Stoke keeper plenty to do. Then came two freak goals. The first when Leigh made a faulty free kick straight to Bentham who returned it into the net, and the second two minutes later at the other end where Burnett’s clearance with his foot cannoned off Sale back into the net. The final goal was a Wyles “special” taken on the run from a Watson forward pass, and this time Leigh, whose anticipation earlier had been excellent, elected to stay in his goal with the result that he was well beaten. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Chic Heath, Ashley, Wyles, Bentham, and Makin, forwards. Stoke City; Leigh, goal; Brigham and McCue, backs; Mountford (F.), Cowden, and Kirton, half-backs; Mountford (S.), Sellars, Sale, Bowyer, and Basnett, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Williams.
• England drew 2-2 against France at Wembley, Mercer and Lawton, who captain England in front of 60,000 spectators. Lawton scoring one goal.

May 28, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are also looking ahead, and it was mainly with a view, to next season that Everton included “Chick” Heath, from Litherland Boys Club and Ashley, from Northwich as their right-wing pair against Stoke City at Goodison Park on Saturday. heath is only 15, and so joins the select company of Lawton, Cliff Bastin, and a few others who have played League football at that tender are Ashley, is 18 and it is my opinion that both there lads are going to make the grade in top circles. Their all-round ability was one of the most satisfying features of a brilliant finale to the season in which Everton by their 3-2 win secured the position of runners-up to Derby County in the North Championship No2. The Blues are a bit lucky to finish above Liverpool for they played three matches more, and Liverpool not being able to catch Derby, received no bonus points fir unplayed games. That Merseyside could supply the second and third, however, is a splendid achievement and in my opinion thoroughly deserved. Nowhere have the fans had such consistently good football as on Merseyside –the hub of all the good things in the war years. Everton’s win was well deserved in a match having two remarkable instances. Shortly after the interval with the teams standing 1-1 –thanks to Wyles and Bowyer –Everton had a close-up free kick and Greenhalgh lobbed to the goalmouth. Leigh the City goalkeeper who was at one time with Everton caught the ball and then a whistle sounded, Leigh immediately threw the ball out slowly along the turf, thinking there had been an infringement Bentham was right there, and Stan promptly banged the ball into the net for a feeling goal. Immediately after stoke dashed down and Burnett came out to kick away. The ball struck the oncoming Sale, and bounded up, and forward to sail into the vacant net with Jack Soo making a galliant effort to keep it out. Two curious goals in three minutes. There was any amount of charm in this game boasting quite an international Savour with visitors from Canada, Trinidad, America and Holland all present Mr. McDonnell came over from Anfield and as Everton chairman Mr. Bill Gibbins and afterwards. This afternoon Mr. McConnell and myself have sown the seeds of a friendship between our clubs which will last a hundred years.” It was fitting that Cecil Wyles the oh-so-capable deputy for Lawton, should get the winning goal –and a beauty at that, thanks to the precision of Gordon Watson’s through pass.

May 28, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Many spectators came away from Goodison Park on Saturday with the satisfaction that Everton should do well in the post war seasons if they can produce a few more young players of the calibre of “Chick” Heath of the Litherland Boys Club, who has played for the Colts and Ashley the inside right from Northwich. Both livened up the forward line against Stoke City in such all extent that there was little “end of Season” flavour about the game. Everton are always inclined to play down to the opposition and in Stoke’s case they had to play “up” to a strong fast moving set of forwards and a defence that was shaky at the start but proved first-class later, particularly goalkeeper –Leigh who did a lot of running out but his sense of timing was uncanny.

Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 31 May 1945
Football Surprise The Everton Football Club directors are to consider request from Tommy Lawton, their English international centre-forward, to be placed on the transfer list, so that Lawton can take residence in the South of England (writes Pilot). The reason for this request is simply that Mrs. Lawton has been in indifferent health for some time and has been advised to live in the south. Lawton joined Everton from Burnley on December 31, 1936, for approximately £7,000, having been with Burnley since the age of 15 and becoming professional in October, 1936. Since then Lawton became the game's leading goal-scorer, and has played for England on 30 occasions.





May 1945