Everton Independent Research Data


May 3, 1947. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton were soon in the picture, and Catterick sent in a smart shot which Green saved admirably. The City next made headway on the right. Woodruff centring across for Hedley to clear. In 35 minutes Everton deservedly took the lead. Livingstone giving the City goalkeeper no chance at all. Just before the interval Everton almost increased their lead. Grant hitting the upright with a great shot,. Half-time; Everton Res 1, Manchester City Reserves 0.

May 6, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Jimmy Tansey of the Blues captains the side, and his name, with those of Stan Wright and Street, are as familiar to me as Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell. Tansey is the brother of Jack Tansey, the northern amateur heavy weight champion, while Wright is the ex-Alsop School lad, who once played for Tranmere Rovers against Manchester City in a League match. The other Wright –from Anfield – is one I have not seen? But Messrs Ike Robinson and Stan Royle assure ,me that he is one of the best young inside-forwards Merseyside have produced in years. Liverpool; W.L. Charlton (Litherland Boys Club and Everton); T.E. Jones (St. Margaret’s and Everton), J.S. Waring (Crossens); J. Tansey (St. Gerard’s and Everton), captain, J. Heydon (Bromborough Pool), F.S Street (Newton Sea Cadets and Everton), K.P. Burkill (Bromborough Pool), R. Wright (Liverpool), S. Wright (Alsop Old Boys and Everton), D. Hickson (Everton), H. Boydell (Prescot Celtic).

May 7, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Made Life Member; New Nominees
Stork’s Notes
All the board meeting of the Everton F.C. held last evening intimation was received from Mr. George Evans, J.P stating that it was not his intention to seek-re-election to the board of directors at the next annual general meeting. This decision was accepted with regret, in recognition of Mr. Evans’s past services he was made a life member of the club. Discussing the matter with Mr. Evans he said; “I have given this matter my deepest consideration, and I feel that I am not up to undertaking the long journeys involved and consider I am going the right thing by both the blub and myself. That is the reason for the resignation. He went on to say; I think the shareholders and the general public should know that during the last twelve months there has been complete harmony on the Board, just the same as there has been on the field. So attention should be paid to the rumours and mischievous gossip which has been flying about, for there is not an atom of truth in them. “I am very proud that the Board has recognised my services to the club,” said Mr. Evans. “You can rest assured that my activities are not yet finished. In conclusion I would like to recommend that the shareholders give their wholehearted support to the retiring directors and Mr. Harold Williams. Mr. Evans joined the board in 1932, and the following year Everton won the Cup. He saw his first Everton-Liverpool match in 1894. He had a flare for spotting talent. Nominations for the board have been received for Messrs Tom Percy, T.C. Nuttall, and Harold Williams. The retiring directors are W.C. Gibbins (Chairman) G. Evans and W. R. Williams. Mr. Percy a former director lost his seat at the last election. This will be Mr. Nuttall’s second attempt. Mr. Williams one of the staunchest followers of Everton, is a Liverpool businessman.
Everton’s Stiff Task
Everton have one of their stiffest tasks of the season when they heard the lion in his days at Wolverhampton. The Wolves are going hot-pace for Championship honours and realise that they cannot afford to slip away any points. They are a particularly warm lot on their own ground, but Everton’s receipt form is encouraging and a win is not entirely out of the question. The team will be the same as that which defeated Preston a fortnight ago, plus Wainwright. Everton (from); Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Wainwright, Dodds, Fielding, Eglington.


Essex Newsman -Friday 9 May 1947

Another happy G.I. bride from Chelmsford is Doreen Jucia, twenty-year-old wife of Joseph Jucia, ex-Corporal, Eighth Army Air Force, now hairdresser his own business at Hertford, Conn.—his home town. Doreen is the daughter of Mr. Jimmy Broad, Chelmsford City groundsman, and former Everton, Stoke, Manchester City, and Millwall United footballer. Doreen and Joseph met at a dance at Chelmsford while Joseph was stationed near by during the war. They were married at the Roman Catholic Church here. When the war was over, Dorcen rejoined her husband in America. Their first child, Phyllis, was born at Chelmsford. Now comes the glad news from Hertford that Mr. and Mrs. Jucia have another baby—a boy. " Baby boy; doing fine," states cablegram from Hertford. Says Jimmy Broad, proud grandfather " It seems that there is a lot of nonsense talked about unhappy G.I. brides. Doreen and Joseph are ideally happy, I believe they're going to name the boy Jimmy." Doreen and Joseph hope to be back in Chelmsford for a short holiday later in the summer. Much as she likes being in America, she always writes about ' dear old Chelmsford,' says Mr. Broad.

May 9, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
For the first time for years, both Liverpool and Everton are away on the same day. Everton are at Wolverhampton and Liverpool visit Charlton. Molyneux has never been a happy hunting ground for Everton, but it is not outside the bounds of possibility that they can win there. They are playing with confidence these days and would dearly like to lend a helping hand to their friends across the park. Everton make no change from the team which defeated Preston North End, when they gave an entertaining display of high-class soccer. Team; Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Dodds, Fieldings, Eglington.

May 10, 1947. The Evening Express
Everton Check for League Leaders
Dodds, Fielding also Scorers in Thrilling Game
Radar’s Review
A brilliant Everton attack, with Dodds in inspired form, provided shocks galore for Wolves at the Molineux Ground today. Playing superb along-the-ground football, they cut the Wolves into shreds after taking the lead in the second minute. Johnny Mcllhatton signalised the occasion by recording his first-ever goal since coming to Goodison. After Mullen had levelled the score before the interval Dodds and Fielding regained Everton’s advantage with cleverly worked goals. The Everton defence fought heroically in the first half when the Wolves attack was in its brightest mood, Greenhalgh twice saving the day by kicking off the line with Sagar beaten. Humphreys had a great day, giving Dennis Westcott no chance of adding to his goal tally, while the return of Wainwright added greater thrust to the attack. Wainwright, who was at inside right in place of Alec Stevenson, has been out of the game for several weeks following a leg injury. Wolverhampton Wanderers;- Williams, goal; Crook and McLean, backs; Galley, Cullis (captain) and Wright, half-backs; Hancock, Pye, Westcott, Forbes, and Mullen, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield). Everton were afforded an excellent opportunity of doing their neighbours, Liverpool a good turn, for a victory at the Molyneux ground today and to increase the Anfielders’ chances of snatching the League Championship from the Wolves grasp and also provide Everton with revenge for a two-nil defeat at Goodison earlier in the season. The Everton’s teams departure from Goodison was marked by a rare event, for the coach taking the Reserves to Chesterfield left at exactly the same time. No one in the Everton party could remember this having occurred previously. Not until nearing Knutsford did we reach the parting of the ways. Wolves’ championship hopes have aroused tremendous enthusiasm and despite heavy morning rain and the threat of more, there were 45,000 present to see Everton take the lead in sensation fashion in two minutes. Bentham created an opening on the right for Dodds, who had veered away from Cullis. Dodds beat off Cullis’s challenge and centred, for Eglington to head to the feet of Mcllhatton. Williams saved Mcllhatton’s first effort, but was only able to push the ball out to the Everton winger, and this time Mcllhatton shot calmly into the back of the net, to register his first ever goal since joining the club. Away went Wolves, for Mullen twice to beat Saunders and square along the ground to Hancocks, who shook the post with a glorious right foot drive, which did not rise an inch.
Crowds Gasps
Immediately afterwards Wright made the crowd gasp with a storming 35 yards drive, which Sagar was only able to save by turning the ball round for a corner which however availed the Wolves naught. When Everton came again, Wainwright burst through down the centre and let go a cracking first-timer, which flashed a yard over the top. In the drenching rain the Wolverhampton wingers, Mullen especially were amazingly fast, and the Everton defence was kept at full stretch. Humphreys accomplished a deal of valuable breaking up work during an anxious period. Three times Humphreys robbed Westcott in the nick of time. Wolverhampton pressure brought its reward, however, just on the quarter-hour. A Hancock pass was unluckily deflected by Humphreys to the feet of Mullen, who had cut in near the penalty spot. Mullen gave Sagar no chance with a glorious rising drive from 12 yards. This game was being fought out at a cracking pace, with plenty of incident. The Everton goal had a remarkable escape following an extended scramble. Greenhalgh rising high in the air in a surprise effort to head Forbes lobbed shot behind with Sagar beaten. Everton in turn, were providing any amount of sparkling football and Mcllhatton was unfortunate to see a fiery cross-shot fly just over the bar with Williams in two minds. Fielding tried to send Dodds away but the Everton leader’s intended back-heel was snapped up by Crooks. Then another Wainwright special produced a thrill and an amazing acrobatic leap by Williams, who was unable properly to field the ball at the first attempts, such was the power of Wainwright’s shot. Everton lost the services of Wainwright when a plaster came off his leg, but he was quickly back in the fray. Although the Wolves were faster and perhaps more progressive Everton were always dangerous and Cullis was finding Dodds a wily opponent. A Wright-Mullen-Westcott triangular effort almost proved fatal, but again Humphreys stepped into the breach and Sagar was not troubled. Farrell and Dodds co-operated and Dodds flicked a choice pass out to Mcllhatton, but Crooks was alive to the danger and robbed Mcllhatton. Everton would not be denied and Dodds hit a short Fielding pass without hesitation only to see an unstoppable shot shave the top of the bar.
Dodds Clever
These Wolves were hungry for goals and Sagar was called upon by full back McLean to turn a “cracker-jack” drive over the bar. Dodds was playing some really inspired football and a glorious through pass to Wainwright would assuredly have produced a goal had it not been for an equally brilliant interception by Billy Wright.
Half-time;- Wolves 1, Everton 1.
The game resumed on the same speedy all action note, with Hancocks, taking a Mullen cross field pass in his stride, rounding Greenhalgh, taking the ball on the line, and then passing it straight back to the grateful Greenhalgh. It was Everton, however, who struck the first blow in the 50th minute. Mcllhatton fastened on to a clearance, lobbed the ball forward to Wainwright who in turn ankled it forward to Dodds. Mclean stood in front of Dodds but allowed the Everton leader to bring the ball down to his liking and steer it wide of Williams into the far comer of the net. This was a cleverly conceived effort, but one which might have been prevented had McLean been quicker on the uptake. It was certainly a nasty set-back for the Wolves. A Cullis slip, which caused the Wolves captain to hold his head in his hands, almost enabled Bentham to offer Wainwright a right of way, but Bentham’s pass was a shade on the strong side. Wolves began to fight desperately for the equaliser and there was another amazing escape for Everton when Mullen squared the ball on the the goalline and Greenhalgh was again the saviour by kicking off the line. Everton, however, were right on their toes the forwards playing the most incisive football I have seen from them this season, and in the 57th minute they went further ahead. Again Mcllhatton rounded Crook and pushed the ball along the ground to cut the Wolves defence wide open. Dodds inched the ball further across for Fielding to run in and give Williams no chance. The Wolves’ play now became characterised by over anxiety and in-accuracy in passing, quite foreign to their normal games. An example of this was Mullen’s wild shot into the side netting, with only Sagar to beat. In fact, Everton began to thread their way almost casually through the usually confident Wolves’ defence. Only a brilliant full length save by Williams prevented Everton increasing their advantage after copybook inter-passing between Dodds and Eglington, which gave Eglington the opportunity to shoot low down toward the far corner. Williams just managed to fling himself across and parry the ball. Rather against the run of play, Wolves reduced the arrears after 79 minutes. Westcott gliding Pye’s accurate centre well wide of Sagar. Final; Wolves 2, Everton 3.

May 10, 1947. The Evening Express
Everton had Falder for Jones at centre-half. Higgins gave Everton the lead after 10 minutes. He took a bouncing ball in his stride and drove it high into the net. Burnett did well to save an awkward rebound, but had an easy time compared with the Chesterfield keeper.

May 10, 1947. The Liverpool Football Echo
Mcllhatton Scores One Shares Two Others
Dodds’ Tactics Harass The Defenders
Leaders’ Lost Rhythm
Wolves 2, Everton 3
By Ranger
Everton put a spoke in Wolverhampton’s championship prospects with a 3-2 victory in a hard-fought game. They gained the points through fine teamwork and ability to take chances with hesitation. Wolverhampton Wanderers;- Williams, goal; Crook and McLean, backs; Galley, Cullis (captain) and Wright, half-backs; Hancock, Pye, Westcott, Forbes, and Mullen, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield).
Everton’s only change against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molyneux Park was the introduction of Wainwright for Stevenson, this being Wainwright first appearance since his injury at Blackpool on Easter Monday. Although they are leading the League Wolverhampton are not yet assured of the championship and two points were essential today if they were to head off their challengers. The home side was at full strength. There must have been a crowd of fully 45,000 at the start. There was an early sensation, for Everton took the lead after two minutes through Mcllhatton. This was Mcllhatton’s first League goal since he joined Everton just over 12 months ago. Dodds started the movement by veering out to the right wing, where he produced an amazing burst of speed. He centred, and Mcllhatton’s first shot was saved and came back to him. He made no mistake at his second attempt. This was a blow to the home crowd, and the goal was received in complete silence. Wolves quickly fought back Hancocks struck the post with a fierce drive, and Sagar had to be alert to catch a long shot by Wright. Mullen was a second editions of Liddell at outside left, producing a number of electying dashes.
Piled on Pressure
Humphreys held up Westcott three times in quick succession when the home centre forward was ploughing a way through, and Wolves, having got over their early surprise at Everton’s fire, were now pilling on pressure. Wainwright nullified a bright Everton movement, in which the whole forward line took part, by putting his final centre behind. Wolves were not to be denied, however, and good work by Hancocks led to Mullen equalising after 15 minutes. There was a little fortune about the goal, however, for the ball struck Humphreys in its flight and was deflected out of Sagar’s reach. But one could not deny that the home side’s display in the last few minutes had earned them the equaliser. Wolves now in rampageous mood, were giving the Everton defence plenty of trouble, but Greenhalgh and Humphreys stood their ground magnificently and the home forwards could not find a way through to Sagar. On one occasion Greenhalgh headed away off the line when Forbes shot strongly, and on another when Crook came up to try one which just sheered wide of the post. The Wolverhampton forwards were doing their best to provide Westcott with a goal. The reason was that Westcott has scored 36 League goals this season. When he gets another he will have beaten the club record set up by Tom Phillipson over 20 years ago. Westcott, however was finding Humphreys a great stumbling block and the Everton centre-half again took the ball off his toes as he was about to shoot. Cullis did the same at the other end when Dodds was through once more.
Back’s Shot
The best shot to date came from full back Mclean, who hit a beauty from thirty yards which Sagar managed to tip over for a fruitless corner. Everton were keeping the ball on the ground and producing some nice moves, but Wolves’ superior speed and accurate combination was beginning to tell a tale on the visiting defence. Wolves were throwing everything into a desperate effort to get in front. Just before half-time Wainwright looked all over a scorer until Wright popped up from behind and robbed him with a brilliant tackle.
Half-time –Wolverhampton Wanderers 1, Everton 1.
The Wolves supporters received further shocks early in the second half for Everton’s got 2 further goals in the first 12 minutes. They took the lead at the fiftieth minute thanks to a move started by a clearance from Saunders and helped forward with a pass by Bentham to Mcllhatton. Mcllhatton beat his man before crossing the ball to Dodds, who rounded Mclean and steered the ball wide of Williams. Dodds appeared to have lost control for a moment, but a split second hesitation by Mclean gave him a chance which he seized with alacrity. Fielding got the third goal after a grand movement in which four Everton men again took part. Once more it was a Mcllhatton pass which lead to the goal, his centre being neatly flicked aside by Dodds to enable Fielding running up to crash it into the net.
Narrow Escape
In between these two goals Everton had a narrow escape when an acutely angled shot by Mullen struck Saunders and was deflected out of Sagar’s reach, but kicked away on the goal-line by Greenhalgh. Dodds was getting the Wolves defence harassed by his excursions to the wings and his canny passes and Wolves had now lost all their earlier rhythm and combination. They were fighting hard enough, but it was with a spirit of determination not confidence. Eglington nearly got a fourth for Everton, Williams only just managing to get his fingers to the winger’s cross shot from a pass by Dodds. Bentham, who had played soundly throughout soon recovered from what might have been a bad injury, when he was accidentally kicked by Forbes. Fielding again came into the picture with a brilliant bit of dribbling, which would have led to a goal had Dodds been able to connect with an awkward, waist-high ball. This was a let-off for Wolves, who were now only a shadow of the side which had given the Everton defence such a hard fight in the first half. Just when it looked as though the Wolves had given up the ghost and the game had gone flat. Westcott reduced the lead with a header from a centre by Pye at the 79th minute. This goal gave Westcott his much coveted record and roused the home crowd to a pitch of excitement. Sagar was so far out of position at the wrong end of the goal, that he made no attempt at a save. Galley went close with a header from a corner three minutes from the finish. Wolves forced three corners in the last couple of minutes. Final; Wolverhampton W 2, Everton 3.

May 12, 1947. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Ranger
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2, Everton 3
The unexpected is always happening in football. On form Wolves looked pretty certain to get both points from Everton. Instead they got none and their failure opens up the League Championship once again. This was Wolves first home defeat since November 2. There was nothing fortuitous about Everton’s win. They were good value for it from every angle. They shook Wolves badly by scoring in the first two minutes, the goal being received in such silence that one could almost have heard a pin drop. Mcllhatton was the successful marksman. It was his first goal since joining Everton a year ago and the prelude to a fine afternoon’s exhibition, for he later provided the passes leading to the two other goals. These were scored by Dodds and Fielding in the first twelve minutes of the second half, each being confidently taken by placing the ball well out of the goalkeeper’s reach.
Fought Back
Everton’s early success did not upset Wolves for long. They soon settled down to flight back with great spirit and got no more than they deserved when Mullen equalised after fifteen minutes though the goal was certainly a trifle fortunate in that Mullen’s shot struck Humphreys and was deflected out of Sagar’s reach. From here to the interval Wolves held the upper hand, but Failed to translate into tangible advantage through over-elaboration. They were speedy but wild in their shooting though Sagar had to make a couple of smart saves and Greenhalgh also headed off the line –repeating the performance in the second half –and Hancocks but the foot of the post. Wolves best shot, ironically was a 30-yard effort by Mclean which Sagar just managed to tip over the bar. During this period of hectic pressure the Everton defence gave a fine display, through admirably at times sorely pressed. Saunders did well once he had got over a rather shaky start, but Humphreys and Greenhalgh were the main props.
Lost Heart
Everton’s two goals after the resumption seemed to take all the heart out of Wolves. They became ragged, disjointed and over anxious, yet eleven minutes from the end Westcott got a simple headed goal, Sagar being so badly positioned that he could make no attempt at it. After that Wolves came back to their best and staged an exciting rally without being able to penetrate Everton’s rearguard again. The visitors owed their victory to fine team work, combination and general understanding. Each player fitted into the scheme of things in accomplished fashion. Dodds has rarely played better, Mcllhatton was excellent and the inside men were clever schemers. The defence was at the top of its form and earned full marks for weathering the storm when Wolves were in aggressive mood. Wolverhampton Wanderers;- Williams, goal; Crook and McLean, backs; Galley, Cullis (captain) and Wright, half-backs; Hancock, Pye, Westcott, Forbes, and Mullen, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. H.T. Wright (Macclesfield).
• Chesterfield Reserves 1, Everton 1
• Liverpool beat Charlton 3-1, Stubbins (3) and Robinson for Charlton.

May 12, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
I had not seen Everton for three months, until I accompanied them to Wolverhampton on Saturday (writes Rangers). It was a pleasant experience and a good send-off for a short holiday, starting yesterday. It was a vastly different Everton to the one I saw in the depth of winter. There was balance in every department, excellent team spirit and a progressive linking-up between wing halves and forwards which made the side compare favourably with wolves. With luck they might have won more handsomely, for they always looked like the more dangerous in front of goal, thanks to the canny interchange of positions. And first-time shooting of power and direction. It was good to see Mcllhatton get a good goal at last. It was his success in the first two minutes which set Everton firmly on a victory trail. He also provided the passes which brought the two other goals scored by Dodds and Fielding and altogether save the brightest exhibition I have seen from him so far. Dodds had a great day, leading Cullis a merry dance and showing surprising speed at times for a man of his weight.

May 12, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Colleagues Radar goes into raptures over Everton’s brilliant 3-2 win at Wolverhampton and writes that he would wager the Hampden match of the century” paled into insignificance when placed against the Molineux clash for the provision of ceaseless thrills and detectable football. It was the best game he has seen this season and he writes; “The Blues treated 40,000 cock-a-hoop Wolves fans to a display of team work beyond criticism and which made them full value for their narrow victory –a success which, with a shade of luck, would have been even more pronounced. There are so many good things one could say about this virile, confident Everton, but high on the list I place Jock Dodds who produced the greatest centre-forward performance I have seen since the halcyon days of Dixie Dean. Dodds seemed to have Cullis mesmerised; his leadership was impeccable; and his first time passing of a moving ball the acme of perfection. Out on the wings one minute and in the centre the next, this was the Dodds plan. Then there was a masterly pivotal exhibition by Jack Humphreys who so effectively blotted out the dangerous Westcott. During the first 30 minutes when the Wolves were at their most effervescent Humphreys did mighty work and the only blemish was late on when he once left Westcott who headed a goal. With considered service from the tireless Bentham and Farrell the inside forwards Wainwright and Fielding really went to town. Never have I seen those grand half-backs Wright and galley so bewildered. This was a Wainwright right back to his best form through still without that little luck, while Fielding repeatedly cup open the Wolves with his sweeping crossfield pass. Mcllhatton and Eglington thrived on splendid feeding. Inspired by his fist-ever goal for Everton –Dodds and Fielding got the others –Mcllhatton went on to better anything I have seen from him while Eglington was far too elusive for McLean, Greenhalgh earned praises for a grand display during which he twice saved off the line, while Saunders had a testing half-hour against the electric Mullen but emerged with honours and Sagar produced a number of saves which stamped him as still one of the best goalkeepers.”
Football Inquiry
Wally Fielding, the Everton inside-left goes to Manchester on Thursday to attend an inquiry, following incidents in the Everton-Preston game during which he and Watson, of Preston, were ordered off.
• Tonight (Monday) at Goodison Park, Bootle J.O.C Warburton Cup Final, Everton Colts v. Cyprus. Kick-off 7.15 pm. Price of admission; stands 1/6 Ground 9d, and Boys and H.M. Forces in Uniform 6d.
• Tomorrow (Tuesday) at Goodison Park-Final in the National Tramsway and Omnibus Amateur Shield Competition Liverpool v. Plymouth. Kick-off 7pm.

May 16, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
The chance of a Merseyside “Derby” between Everton and Liverpool, to provide one of the closing items of this remarkable football season, depends on events at Goodison Park, tomorrow, when Everton face Tranmere Rovers in the semi-final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. Liverpool have already landed themselves in the final to become assured of gold medals and if Everton can, as I think they will, beat the Rovers, we shall have a 30,000 gate for the final to be played on either June 7 or 14, or on a Wednesday evening – ground to be selected later. Everton are playing so well just now that even the fighting spirit of the Rovers may prove unavailing. I know the Blues will get a great welcome from their supporters, following that 3-2 win at Wolverhampton, and will be keenly interacted to see how young Hedley, that full back from the north-east, who has gone on to full time training, shapes. Hedley has impressed me on the odd occasion I have seen him in action and Benny Jones, in whom both Everton and Liverpool have been interested, is just the lad to pull out the best of Hedley in the “Derby.” Everton; Sagar; Hedley, Saunders; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Dodds, Fielding, Eglington. Tranmere Rovers; Payne; Hodgson, Johnstone; Aldis, Bell, Salmon; Harlock, Cox, Athkinson, Rosenthal, Jones.

May 16, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Everton are engaged in a Liverpool senior Cup semi-final game with Tranmere Rovers. This would seem to be a walk-over for the “Blues” but Rovers have more than once put a hoodoo on Everton in this class of game. I don’t think they will do it tomorrow, for Everton have been playing grand football for some weeks now, and their latest triumphs at the Molyneux ground was the crowning glory. They have chosen ten of their first team members for this game, Hedley coming in at right full back and Saunders crossing over. A win would bring them Liverpool in the final and you know what that means –a “Derby,” game to finish off with. The Rovers can be counted upon to fight grimly against the famous brethren, and they have a knack of saving their best for such occasions, but I think they are doomed to disappointment this time. Everton; Sagar; Hedley, Saunders; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Dodds, Fielding, Eglington. Tranmere Rovers; Payne; Hodgson, Johnstone; Aldis, Bell, Salmon; Harlock, Cox, Athkinson, Rosenthal, Jones.

May 17, 1947. The Evening Express
Everton Hit back Against Tranmere Rovers
Radar’s Review
Tranmere Rovers staged a gallant fight in their Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final with Everton at Goodison Park today. In fact they surprised Everton by their craft and speed and had it not been for over-anxiety in front of goal would have taken the lead earlier than in the 28th minute when Jones netted from a penalty. Rosenthal, the former Liverpool player, was a brilliant inside forward, shrewd in distribution, strong on the ball, and always ready to try a shot. I hear that Everton have arranged to play a friendly match against Shamrock Rovers in Dublin probably on June 8. George Burnett the Everton goalkeeper is now a full-time professional and is now in full-time training at Goodison. Everton; Sagar, goal; Hedley and Saunders, backs; Bentham, Humphreys (captain), and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Dodds, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Tranmere Rovers; Payne, goal; Hodgson and Johnstone, backs; Aldis, Bell and Salmon, half-backs; Harlock, Cox, Athlinson, Rosenthal, and Jones, forwards. Referee; Mr. A.M. Cunningham. Tranmere had the better of matters in the early phases, during which Rosenthal was prominent, and it was only the anticipation of Humphreys which saved the day for Everton following a Jones corner. Away went Everton for Fielding to open up the way for Eglington, but Hodgson came across with a glorious tackle to prevent Eglington getting across his centre. Then Payne caught a deceptive Fielding lob in the nick of time as Eglington sped in to connect.
Atkinson Foiled
When Tranmere again went away with Rosenthal the initiator, it was again Humphreys who stepped into the breach to foil Atkinson. The Tranmere attack was certainly on its toes and Atkinson offered Jones the perfect opening, but Jones shot across the face of the goal with no one on hand to apply the finishing touch. The Everton defence was being kept at full stretch by the Tranmere speed and craft but Sagar was not seriously troubled until he was called upon to deal with a long range rising drive from Rosenthal. Everton had their chance when Dodds flicked through a delightful pass to Fielding, but Fielding shot too quickly and was well off the mark. Tranmere were unfortunate not to take the lead when Rosenthal took advantage of a slip by Hedley, went through on his own, and shot hard and low for the far corner, only to see the ball strike the foot of the upright. The Rovers would not be denied and there was a close call for Everton when an Atkinson back-header almost deceived Sagar, who was dazzled by the sun. Everton were finding the lively ball a handicap to a accurate football, but Mcllhatton forced corners in rapid succession, from the second of which Payne punched to the feet of Fielding. He then just managed to fall on Fielding’s clever attempt to lob the ball out of his reach. Another Hedley miskick almost let in Bennie Jones, but Hedley revealed excellent powers of recovery. After 28 minutes Tranmere deservedly took the lead. Atkinson sent a perfect through pass to Jones, who had cut into the middle, and when Jones fell to the ground just as he was about to shoot. Referee Cunningham immediately awarded a penalty. Jones gave Sagar no chance from the spot.
Dodds Watched.
Everton now began to introduce a little more life into their play, but Bell was keeping a firm grip on Dodds and the Tranmere centre-half was twice applauded for brilliance. When Dodds did manage to elude Bell he raced in between Johnstone and Hodgeson, but shot high over the top. Fielding let go from 20 yards and found Payne fully equal to the task of coping with a cleverly placed “grounder.” The biggest thrill in the Tranmere goalmouth came when Eglington hooked the ball on to the crossbar and it dropped back into play with Eglington and Stevenson unable to effect connections. There was no denying the skill and menace of the Tranmere raiders with Rosenthal still the inspired mainspring. Yet again Rosenthal sold the “dummy” effectively, and forced Sagar to save high up. A cute Dodds through pass gave Stevenson an open goal, but Payne showed clever anticipation and let his goal to narrow the angle to such an extent that he was able to parry Stevenson’s drive. The best concerted move of the game thus far, in which four Everton forwards took part saw Mcllhatton put a strong right-footer only inches over the crossbar. Five minutes from the interval Everton drew level. Bentham place a free kick perfectly for Dodds standing five yards from goal, to head easily out of Payne’s reach.
Half-time; Everton 1, Tranmere Rovers 1.
Everton set about their work with a will straight from the resumption and within two minutes had taken the lead and this time it was Tranmere turn to be at wrong end of a penalty award. An all out Everton attack saw Dodds lob the ball towards the untenanted net –Payne was out of position –and Bell flung out his hand to touch the ball over the top. Bentham kick left, Payne helpless. Immediately afterwards Fielding and Eglington figured in a glorious bout of interpassing, and Eglington cut in to the centre to fire in a terrific left footer which looked all over a goal. Payne, however, flung himself across to make a miraculous save. In the next minute it was Payne again who was Tranmere’s saviour, when he made another amazing save by taking a Stevenson snap shot to his body when all seemed lost. Everton kept it up and for a third time Payne came to the rescue by heading out Mcllhatton’s ground shot at full strength. Tranmere temporarily lost the services of Cox, who appeared to stub his foot on shooting. Cox returned to take over the outside berth, Harlock moving inside. Then Mcllhatton was slightly damaged but was able to resume after attention. Everton were now serving up football of the copybook order, keeping the ball on the ground, and finding their men with remarkable accuracy. Payne was kept almost constantly in action. Hesitancy by Bell gave Dodds a clear road to goal, but the Everton leader’s shot bore evidence more of power than direction. Sagar was relieved to see a Jones free kick flash just wide of the post. Tranmere came near to equalising, Rosenthal pushing the ball along the floor for Jones to take possession and find Atkinson with his square centre. Atkinson, although harassed, managed to find an avenue for his shot, which was only a foot off the target. Final; Everton 2, Tranmere 1.

May 17, 1947. The Liverpool Football Echo
Until Then Play Was Lovely But Lacked “Bite.”
L’Pool Senior Cup Match
Everton; Sagar, goal; Hedley and Saunders, backs; Bentham, Humphreys (captain), and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Dodds, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Tranmere Rovers; Payne, goal; Hodgson and Johnstone, backs; Aldis, Bell and Salmon, half-backs; Harlock, Cox, Athlinson, Rosenthal, and Jones, forwards. Referee; Mr. A.M. Cunningham, Liverpool. There was an excellent attendance at Goodison Park to see the semi-final tie of the Liverpool senior Cup match between Everton and Tranmere Rovers. With Greenhalgh unfit to play, Everton had a new captain, and it was none other than Jack Humphreys, who has rendered such valiant service this season. George Burnett, the Everton goalkeeper, has returned full-time training and he tells me he feels the difference after only three weeks. Tranmere opened the game with some nice attacking ideas in which Rosenthal was chiefly concerned and such was the pressure of the Rovers that Hedley had to concede a corner rather than do anything of a risky nature.
A Mcllhatton Move
It was some minutes before the Rovers were cleared out of Everton territory and it was Mcllhatton who set the Everton machinery moving sweetly. Eglington, taking up a good pass by Fielding, crashed his centre against a Rovers’ defender. This was before Payne had to catch a nice cross from the Everton left. Rosenthal was the mainspring of the Rovers’ attack and one of his passes to Cox should have brought better results instead of a clearance by Everton. It was just a little hesitancy on the part of the Rovers’ forward that made all the difference. Everton were producing some lovely football at this –point –it may have been a little too beautiful in fact, and not direct enough for with the chances they made they should at least have called upon Payne. Dodds was a source of worry to Tranmere’s defence, but by the same token Fielding and Mcllhatton were a sore spot when they got moving. The first real shot of the game was credited to Rosenthal, and Sagar had to make a nice catch. Fielding taking a leaf out of Rosenthal’s book, tried a rather long effort which sent the ball spinning over the bar.
Bite Lacking?
It was quite nice fare, even though it did not have the bite of a League game. Yet the crowd rose to a combined effort on the part of Jones and Rosenthal which culminated in the latter shooting hard and strong for the far side of the Everton goal, the point from which Sagar was markedly absent. It was touch and go whether the ball would enter the net or travel outside. Actually it grated the outside edge of the upright and passed outside into touch. The sun troubled, Sagar when he tried to follow the flight of a long lob. The ball bounced in front of him, and finally went over the bar. Which only goes to show the difficulties a side has facing the sun. Tranmere’s attempting to view with Everton in the matter of football artistry was full of merit. Some of their ideas were of the first quality. But what the people wanted was a goal and I don’t think they would have minded who scored it. One particularly clever movement in which half a dozen Everton players participated made us expectant, but once again the action ended just at a point when he had expected something more final.
Attack in Strength
The Rovers were putting up a magnificent show, and after Farrell had shot outside the Birkenhead lads attacked in strength, and Cox was brought down as he was going through to deliver a shot. A penalty was the award, and Jones scored from the spot at the 28th minute, much to the delight of the many Rovers supporters on the ground. This brought more direct action from Everton. Payne had to save from Fielding, and Dodds, after he had broken to him, looked a possible scorer, until he shot wide. Jones netted a second time for Tranmere, but was rightly adjudged offside. The Rovers have created surprises in cup competition, at Goodison before. To be leading at half-time against the powerful Everton team was indeed a feather in their caps. Fielding made another shot low down, which was saved by Payne, who shortly afterwards swept aside a centre from Eglington. Later Payne swept aside a centre by Eglington, leaving Johnstone to complete the save. That Ted Rosenthal is still a power in football was seen when he worked his way round to the Everton left and delivered a shot which Sagar caught magnificently. The nearest Everton came to an equaliser was when Stevenson was right through the defences, and it became a duel between him and Payne. The goalkeeper won, because he stepped right into the flight of Stevenson’s shot. There was certainly plenty in this game to delight. Mcllhatton struck the upright, and then banged one narrowly over the crossbar. Just on the interval a free kick taken by Bentham went right to the head of Dodds, who glided the ball well away from the Rovers goalkeeper and scored on the 43rd minute.
Half-time; Everton 1, Tranmere Rovers 1.
Everton were in a much more dominant mood in the first ten minutes of the second half and had it not been for some superlative goalkeeping by Payne they would have marked up three or four goals. He made some tremendous saves, and the crowd acknowledged his fine work in sportsmanlike fashion. He had to yield once to a penalty goal by Bentham after Bell had punched the ball out of goal. But that incident can well be forgotten in view of Payne’s wonder saves from Eglington, Stevenson, (this latter one of the best saves I have ever seen) and another from Mcllhatton –all the work of a born goalkeeper. Cox hurt his foot when delivering a hard drive, but in the main, it was all Everton at this stage. Tranmere were putting up a bonny fight but there was no getting away from Everton’s superiority. One must state in fairness to the Rovers, however, that Cox had to go on the wing and was more or less a passenger. Bell and Dodds had some rare tussles but the man on the Rovers side was undoubtedly Payne. He must have been a “pain” in the neck to the Everton forwards for shots that normally would have found a billet went straight into the goalkeepers’s hands.
Hedley’s Excellence
Humphreys was keeping a tight hold of the middle, and Sagar’s work was reduced to a minimum. But he did have to make one save from Atkinson, catching the ball just beneath the crossbar. The wing play of Everton was a distinct feature of their game, and Hedley did many excellent things, and looks a good proposition. Final; Everton 2, Tranmere Rovers 1.

May 19, 1947. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton’s Cup Victory
By Ernest Edwards (“Bee”)
Everton 2, Tranmere 1
Winter and Governmental bans caused this summer time meeting of Everton and Tranmere Rovers, in which Payne gave pleasure. He is a strapping young fellow of Frank swift height and alert mind. Not a showman goalkeeper, yet to the higher shots a sure handler of not goods. His work against Eglington, Stevenson and Dodds, who positively lashed out the ball, was of the highest grade of goalkeeping in a world which appears to be over-plus in goalkeepers of grandeur and short of inside forwards of skills and shot. The crowd of nigh on 20,000 delayed their outgoing for two, reasons. One, the chance of an equaliser and extra time (what gluttons threes sporting souls are) and second to show their appreciation of the high capacity of Payne’s goalkeeping. He was last off in company with Mcllhatton, who had skipped around like a new-born lamb. Maybe the crowd desired to give both plaudits well earned.
Stalwart Halves
Given a Stevenson at inside-right I think even cold play at this late stage of life, as Stevenson’s partner. Similarly Fielding in minor key sends the swift Eglington on his way, and behind them there are the three stalwart half-backs. Humphreys of the resolute mien was captain for the day –is this a fore-taste of things to come? The Everton backs were rugged and rousing and the new boy. Hedley small for defence was a shade below his best. so Tranmere always had a chance to rebuke their seniors. Merrily they set about this task. Rosenthal ay his best, the much-vaunted Jones as fast and relentless, and Tranmere’s easy ginding methods were usually the consequence of a Rosenthal solo, but or a wise pass to open out the defence. Rosenthal today is a vertable feat for spectators and his partners. The man who impressed me more than all was Alldis, who had a grand first half and was still outstanding at the finish of a very hot day’s play in which there were three instances of occurrences that do not exactly tally with Everton’s prestige. It was anything but rough-and-tumble football, yet there were two penalty awards, Jones set Tranmere in front from “spot” Dodds headed a Bentham free kick (the only time the starring pivot, Bell, left him for a moment and eventually Bentham scored from a penalty the excellent referee Mr. Cunningham had spotted, if the game had been played mid November it would have been excellent for a May parade. It was just wonderful. Notification must be made of Cox being a passenger though injury for half an hour and Salmon completing Tranmere expert half-back line with a studied display of cut-and-thrust and the edging of the ball to left-wing comrades. Everton; Sagar, goal; Hedley and Saunders, backs; Bentham, Humphreys (captain), and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Stevenson, Dodds, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Tranmere Rovers; Payne, goal; Hodgson and Johnstone, backs; Aldis, Bell and Salmon, half-backs; Harlock, Cox, Athlinson, Rosenthal, and Jones, forwards. Referee; Mr. A.M. Cunningham, Liverpool.
• Liverpool drew 1-1 with Brentford, Priday and Stewart for Brentford.

May 19, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Tranmere Rovers have more than once shown their prowess against Everton in Cup clashes and their undoubtedly oppose calculations when they took the lead in the Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final at Goodison and ultimately lost narrowly 2-1. I have a feeling that Everton were making an exhibition game of this, and they nearly paid a heavy penalty for their over-confidence. They were over-indulgent in the matter of intricate footcraft and it was not until the Rovers struck their blow that Everton came to the realisation that the Birkenhead team was not to be trifled with. Actually the Rovers played some astonishingly good football, and none did better than Rosenthal, who is still a power in the land of football. But the man who prevented Everton running riot was Payne, the Rovers goalkeeper. In the first fifteen minutes of the second half he was inspired. No international goalkeeper has made three such perfect saves with brilliant shots. If this is Payne’s normal game then there is a place for him in the senior football. His best save was from Stevenson, who hit the ball hard and true, yet Payne was there in the right position, and clutched the ball as though it was a ping-pong ball, to bring an ovation from friend and foe alike. He was only beaten by a penalty and a perfect header by Dodds, had he been beaten three more times no one could have complained. On this performance he seemed born to the goalkeeper’s job.

May 20, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
The election for seats on the Everton directorate on, and proxy forms have been sent to shareholders by the club asking for proxy to be granted to Mr. W.C. Gibbins, Mr. W.R. Williams, or the new nominee, Mr. H.R. Williams. The annual meeting has been fixed for Thursday, June 19. The letter from the Board, signed by all the directors except Mr. W.C. Cuff, states. “The three retiring directors this year are Mr. George Evans, J.P. Mr. W.C. Gibbins, and Mr. W.R. Williams, Mr. Gibbins and Mr. Williams offer themselves for re-election. Mr. Evans is resigning and does not offer himself for re-election. The filling of the vacancy thus causing has been carefully considered by your Board, and it has been decided to support the candidature of Mr. H.R. Williams, a shareholder who has for many years been a very ardent support of the Everton team.

May 21, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton will have Wainwright at inside right against Charlton Athletic, the Cup holders, at Goodison Park on Saturday. Stevenson going to inside left in place of Fielding. Saunders and Greenhalgh resume their full back partnership. Everton; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington.
Captain Tom Percy, who had been nominated for the vacancy of the Everton F.C directorate, has withdrawn his name, and in addition has resigned his membership of the Everton Shareholders Association. This now leaves only Mr. T. C. Nuttall, nomince of the Association, to oppose the two retiring directors seeking re-election, Messrs W.C. Gibbins, and W.R. Williams and the Board’s nominee Mr. Harold R. Williams. Captain Percy lost his seat on the directorate last year after several years of valuable service. I hear that Mr. Nuttall has also resigned from the Shareholders Association, although he was nominated by them recently.

May 23, 1947. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Charlton Athletic, the F.A. cup winners come to Goodison Park tomorrow seeking a “double” at the expense of Everton, and for the last Saturday game of the season at the ground. The home campaign actually closes on Monday afternoon when Leeds United visit Goodison. The Athletic are certain of a grand welcome I saw Charlton lose Liverpool at The Valley two weeks ago, and while they are bonny fighters, I do not think they possess the general all-round skill of the Blues, whom I fancy to win. Everton have won these of their last four games, the other being a defeat a Bramell lane. Wainwright will be back at inside-left for Everton allowing Stevenson to cross to inside-left while skipper, Norman Greenhalgh, returns to the defence. Monday’s Goodison finale should also bring two points from Leeds United, whose power of intervention and tackle will make this a hard game to win. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington. Charlton; Bartram; Croker, Lock; Johnson, Phipps, Revell; Hurst, Dawson, Vaughan, Fenton, Duffy.

May 23, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With Everton entertaining Leeds United on Monday, the Blues have a chance to overtake some of the teams above them and finish in a far more respectable position than at one time seemed possible. Reproduction of the fine form shown against Wolves should give them full points over the holidays. Charlton, now freed from relegation worries, will not be easy meat. Their League position is rather false, but I fancy an Everton victory. The Blues gave me a pleasant surprise at Wolverhampton, not having seen them for some time. They had balance, spirit and understanding from stem to stern. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington. Charlton; Bartram; Croker, Lock; Johnson, Phipps, Revell; Hurst, Dawson, Vaughan, Fenton, Duffy.

May 24, 1947. The Evening Express
Quick Goal Against The Cup Winners
Athletic Equaliser Against Run of the Play
Radar’s Review
The Everton –Charlton Athletic clash at Goodison Park, today, but unmistakable signs of the end of the season. Everton opened in great style, and went in front after five minutes with glorious goal “made” by Stevenson of Eglington, and scored by Eddie Wainwright. Charlton were clever in midfield, but sadly lacking in front of goal, and Sagar had a comparatively easy afternoon. Where Everton had the main advantage lay in the accuracy of Farrell and Bentham, for in contrast with Charlton wing halves, Revell and salmon repeatedly failed to find their men. Eglington had a grand innings while there were any number of duels between Dodds and Phipps. In the second half Everton revealed encouraging willingness to shoot at any opportunity without being able to defeat the vigilant Bartram. Duff’s equaliser late on was all against the run of the play. Charlton Athletic included seven members of the F.A. cup winning team in the side. Revel returned at left half after severe weeks absence following an injury. Everton had Greenhalgh at left back, Saunders reverting to his usual position at right back, Stevenson came in at inside-left in place of Fielding. Considering the fine weather the attendance was disappointing, for they could have been barely 30,000 present at the start. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Charlton Athletic; Bartram, goal; Croker and Lock, backs; Johnson, Phipps, and Revill, half-backs; Hurst, Dawson, Vaughan, Fenton and Duffy, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmon, Stoke. Everton were quickly through a characteristic Wainwright burst in the middle and a quick transfer to Dodds. Unfortunately Dodds misplaced his intended return to Wainwright who had moved forward in anticipation. After a succession of misplaced passes by both sides, Everton broke away to take the lead by a picture goal in the fifth minute. Stevenson sent Eglington away and the Everton left winger out-paced Croker and crossed square centre for Wainwright to dash in and shoot into the roof of the net, with the Charlton defence, completely at sea. After Vaughan had shot narrowly one of the Everton goal, a surprise effort, Eglington again made ground but this time Mcllhatton who had closed in was unable to connect with his accurate cross.
Bartram’s Save.
Everton kept it up playing delightful floor football and Bartram was brought into action to save a fiery left footer from Eglington after neat preparation with Dodds. Duffy showed his pace and ability when he beat both Saunders and Humphreys, but only succeeded in dribbling the ball behind. Twice Vaughan halted promising Charlton attacks by passing direct to Farrell. The n Johnson tried a long distance drive which was only a yard off the mark. The Charlton attack was exception nippy but so far their finishing had shown lack of conviction. There was a thrill in the Everton goal when Hurst crossed a low ball with the three Charlton inside forwards right on the spot, but Sagar moved out to gather the ball in the nick of time. Away went Everton for Stevenson to shoot just over the top from 20 yards, and then he had a terrific drive charged down. Just afterwards Everton missed a glorious chance of increasing their lead, when Mcllhatton’s corner dropped right at the feet of Eglington standing five yards from the Charlton goal. Everton always had that goal look about them, and Bartram was relieved to see a glancing Dodds header flash just wide of the upright. Wainwright’s persistence almost proved fatal to Charlton, for he beat Revill to such an extent that Revell lost the ball, and Dodds clashed across but the angle was too narrow for him to achieve any accuracy with his hastily taken shot. For a time play was again featured of inaccurate passing, but was enlivened by a perfect Stevenson through pass to Dodds.
Sagar’s Punches
However Phipps just managed to get there first, and passed back into the safe hands of Bartram. When Charlton again came into the picture, Sagar three times in quick succession had to punch away. Then hesitancy prevented Vaughan making effective use of a perfect opening, there was certainly an end of the season atmosphere about the game at this stage and little for the crowd to imbues over. Charlton had a chance when Farrell was penalised just outside the area, but Fenton made poor use of the free kick. There was no doubt about it that though Charlton were having equally as much of the play, they rarely looked like properly testing Sagar. Several Everton attacks petered out before Everton were awarded a free kick for a foul on Dodds. Bentham placed the ball straight to Eglington but Croker blocked his intended centre, and again Bartram was not troubled.
Half-time Everton 1, Charlton 0.
Everton went quickly to the attack again on resuming and Eglington got into the middle to give Wainwright the opportunity to shoot just wide of the near upright. Everton showed that they meant business with quick calls on the alert, Bartram. First Stevenson brought a ball under control and moved forward to give the goalkeeper a warm handful with a left footer from 15 yards. Then Wainwright let go a terrific drive from the edge of the penalty area which had Bartram beaten all the way, but the ball sailed narrowly over the top. The Everton forwards were shooting hard and often, and Eglington almost took Bartram by surprise with an oblique angle shot which shook the side netting. At the other end Sagar was applauded for a calculated catch form Dawson’s rising volley.
Good Tackles
After Dodds had headed over the angle of the woodwork from a free kick. Charlton made progress on the right. The danger was only averted by means of brilliant tackles by Greenhalgh, who dispossessed Hurst and Johnson in turn. Again Dodds headed narrowly over after Eglington had forced Croker to concede a corner. Then Johnson nullified clever work by Hurst by over hitting his pass. There was no doubting Everton’s supremacy. They were quicker on the ball and were receiving choice service from Farrell and Bentham. Bartram twice had to go down to deal with ground shots from Stevenson and Wainwright. A Farrell-Dodds-Wainwright tri-angular move saw Wainwright take possession of Dodds’ through pass, but he was harassed as he was about to shoot and could only steer the ball wide of the upright. The Everton forwards continued to force wide open the Charlton defensive scheme, but were not now shooting with accuracy and both Dodds and Mcllhatton were sadly off the target when well placed. Just on three-quarter time, Charlton broke away and Hurst squared the ball to Duffy who had cut into the centre. Duffy, the Cup final winner, gave Sagar no chance with a perfect rising drive into the top left hand corner. This goal was all against the run of play. After the shock Everton redoubled their efforts, and the Charlton goal several times escaped in miraculous fashion. First Eglington shot low for the right hand corner and Lock appeared from nowhere to boot the ball up away with Bartram helpless. Stevenson broke clean through only to shoot wide of the left hand post with the goal yawning before him. Wainwright came to near to restoring Everton’s lead when Dodds carved out a glorious chance for him again. However, Lock stepped in and prevented Wainwright making his shot. Everton maintained the pressure and could do everything but beat Bartram. The Charlton goalkeeper made a magnificent full-length save from Dodds after Eglington had done the spade work. Final; Everton 1, Charlton 1.

May 24, 1947. The Liverpool Football Echo
Wainwright Put Blues Ahead in 4 Minutes
Duffy’s Dazzingly Dribbles An Entertaining Feature
Winger’s Fine Equaliser
Everton 1, Charlton 1
By Stork.
An attractive game of football. Everton worthy of victory because of their second-half domination, but a snap goal by Duffy undid all Everton’s good work. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Charlton Athletic; Bartram, goal; Croker and Lock, backs; Johnson, Phipps, and Revill, half-backs; Hurst, Dawson, Vaughan, Fenton and Duffy, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmon, Stoke. There was an excellent attendance to see the cup-holders, Charlton Athletic, entertained by Everton. The London side, who were without Don Welsh, made several positional changes and for the first few minutes of the game they delighted us with some good-class football which produced dangerous situations for the Everton defence. There was a suggestion that Phipps had landed in the penalty area, but the referee passed it over and in four minutes’ time Everton had taken the lead through a goal by Wainwright. Actually the goal should be credited to Eglington for he did all the lead up work which enabled Wainwright to cut in and beat Bartram. Eglington produced a wonderful turn of speed to beat his way through the Charlton defence and, when he centred, Wainwright came from out of the clouds to meet the ball almost at the goaline, and it was in the net in a flash.
Dodds –A Worrier
This was a blow to the Athletic and a joy to the home followers. Duffy of the twinkling feet, made trouble for the Everton right wing defenders, and once he cut in to deliver a surprise shot which travelled no more than a foot, if that, outside the upright. Dodds was a worrying centre to the Charlton defence, and Stevenson and Eglington paired off in magnificent style, so that they became the danger spot of the Everton team. Eglington again dropped a centre right across the Athletic goal face, and although Mcllhatton made a desperate attempt to get his head to the ball it was much too high for him. A free kick against Everton might have been troublesome had not Bentham positioned himself so well that he was able to stop Fenton’s shot before it could, penetrate the defence. There was excellent football produced by both sides and the Londoners had their chance to equalise when Hurst crossed a lovely ball in front of the Everton goal but as there was no Charlton player in the vicinity to take advantage of the opening Sagar was able to make a catch and a clearance. Some of Duffy’s footwork was nothing short of bewildering. He defeated a man on the space of a sixpence and then moved inwards to offer passes to his comrades. Stevenson shot over the bar, and Hurst put a free kick across to Duffy but the little winger failed to connect up with the ball correctly. Eglington made another scintillating run and then Mcllhatton took over and provided two excellent centres one of which Eglington scooped over the crossbar with his right foot. The second, Dodds nodded wide.
Charlton’s Challenge
It was after this that Charlton made a really strong challenge to Everton’s lead, and three times in quick succession Sagar had to make the old-fashioned punch save from Hurst, Duffy, and Hurst again. This will give some idea as to how the play was going. One must pay tribute to the Everton defence the way they tackled this southern problem, for at times it was a problem. Having weathered the storm however, Everton hit back and Bartram had to save from Wainwright. There was no doubt that this Charlton team could do its stuff, and more than once they had the Everton defence hardpussed and hard-pressed to keep their goal intact. The Everton lead was a slender one and judged on what we has seen it was going to take some holding.
Half-time; Everton 1, Charlton 0.
The second half was only seconds old when Stevenson tested Bartram with a full-blooded drive, but the Charlton keeper was well up to his job, making a confident and clean catch. This was followed with a Dodds’ shot which travelled wide of its target. The Athletic produced an answer to this, and Humphreys had to kick the ball from off Vaughan’s toes when the latter seemed well set for a shot.
Goalkeepers Busy
The exchanges were extremely level, and Sagar showed a safe pair of hands when dealing with a fast drive by Vaughan. The game was still full of good things, and Wainwright had a shot deflected from a corner, while Dodds with a back-header, was only inches from a registering a goal. Hereabouts Bartram was brought into action to deal with shots from Dodds and Wainwright. When the latter again got possession he tried to dribble his way until he had attained shooting position, but he found the weight of numbers too heavy for him. Eglington slewd the ball wide and also hooked one into the side netting.
Everton Pressing
At this stage Everton were putting on pressure in the hope of another goal which would mean a move towards greater security. Greenhalgh had to make a determined tackle to check Johnson, and Bentham, in an effort to “find” Mcllhatton, did not find a true length so that the ball went to an opponent. Farrell and Dodds linked up to provide Wainwright with an opening. The young forward gathered the ball despite the attention of Croker and Lock and was able to get in his shot but the direction was poor, and Bartram had simply to watch the ball travel outside.
Duffy Equalises
It had all been Everton in this half, but as so often happens a team which has been defending stubbornly suddenly breaks away and with one raid upsets all calculations. A shot by Eglinton was tipped away by goalkeeper Bartram, and straight from the clearance Charlton broke away and Hurst led his colleagues into the Everton area and then made a pass from which Duffy slammed the ball into the back of the Everton net, to equalise, at 78 minutes. It was disappointing to say the least for Everton had such a hold on the game that any danger seemed out of the question. The next few minutes saw Eglington shooting wide. Stevenson hitting the post and Dodds giving Bartram nice handful. But the damage had been done, and when Wainwright crashed his way through there seemed the possibility of the lead regained, but he failed in his duel with the Charlton goalkeeper. Final; Everton 1, Charlton 1.

May 26, 1947. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Ernest Edwards (“Bee).
Everton 1, (Wainwright), Charlton Athletic 1 (Duffy).
There were many process engraves at Goodison Park. Everton should have won the contest on the gilt-edged chances they had yet Charlton should have gained honours by means of their consecutive moves of alluring combined strength and neatness. A draw was therefore, a just verdict and my verdict is that both sides made it an entrancing tussle by sporting alert attractive football.
Fine First Half Display
Everton’s magnificent first-half display could not be kept up because Wainwright was limping and a message the “bush-radio” tells me, Eglington was also injured. Now the Everton forward line, as composed today, shows the leadership of Dodds, powerful shot, with bodily garth difficult to surround or shift and a keen football brain. On his right Mcllhatton, so keyed up that he raced from outside right to inside left to work a corner kick. Wainwright a quicksilver mover also ready to shoot at sight; on the left Stevenson poking the ball fore –aft and treading upon it that the fervid Eglington can learn much and reveal his paces.
Eglington’s Burst
The latter’s electric burst in five minutes left “Boss” Croker in a fix –Wainwright’s conversion of the centre had already beaten Bartram but that must not detract from the connecting point by Wainwright. Bartram’s best saves were kept for late on from Dodds and Stevenson each of whom failed to take the simpler chance. Sagar best was taking the ball from the head of Vaughan when Charlton threatened to lead. They had drawn level by a masterly little bump of football knowledge. Duffy. He scored from the inside left position –a replica of his cup final in positioning and delivery. Not to be outdone by Mcllhatton’s keen sense of change of front Duffy traversed from outside left to outside right, and at other times he was helping a harassed defence.
Tribute to Saunders
Everton’s splendid backs and half backs did not have forwards to help them; they had to do their own spade work, and they did it well too. Indeed, if there had been more accurate shooting on both sides and Charlton had finished their finesse and forward combines with less delay, this would have been a classic game. Had Everton played like this earlier in the season they would have been contesting the championship lines. While bunching the Everton defence en maze, I pay tribute to Saunders (Everton back), and Johnson. Charlton wing half-backs? Both sides deserve Whit congratulation although football at the end of May does seem quite out of place. I have not been told the attendance. It was remarkable for summer-time and must have topped 40,000. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Charlton Athletic; Bartram, goal; Croker and Lock, backs; Johnson, Phipps, and Revill, half-backs; Hurst, Dawson, Vaughan, Fenton and Duffy, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmon, Stoke.
• Liverpool beat Arsenal 2-1, Balmer, Barnes own goal, and McPherson for Arsenal.

May 28, 1947, The Liverpool Daily Post
Leeds United provided poor opposition in a lively Everton attack aided by a sturdy defence, and the Yorkshire side was completely overplayed at Goodison Park. The United were spasmodically dangerous in the first half, but after the interval Everton were right on top, scoring six of the goals. The scorers were Catterick (3), Higgins (2), Jones, Johnson, and Green for Everton and Grainger for Leeds.

May 26, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Charlton Athletic were at one period of the season looked upon as one of the Cinderella teams of the competition for they were always playing second fiddle to someone else. There football was poor, but their success in the cup has turned them into a different team. They vied with Everton in good football, so that Saturday’s game was attractive when football should have been rather dull because of the heat of the day. Summery weather is not conductive to hectic football. Well, this may not have been hectic but it was entertaining because both sides played good quality football, matching each other in point of skill (writes Stork). When Everton open the scoring in three minutes one naturally expected them to build up a handsome score, but the Londoners were lothe to let their rivals take all the laurels for classy football. They took a leaf out of Everton’s book and indulged themselves in finery which from relegation entitled them to do. Yet for all that, Everton should have run out easy winners with the opportunities at their disposal. It seemed more than likely that Wainwright’s goal would carry the day especially so as Everton took a right hold of the second half and only stern defence and a number of missed chances prevented them running up a cricket score. Rarely did Charlton cross their own half-way line, but on one of the occasions they did won the equaliser. It was ever thus; a team defending for long spells suddenly comes to life and with one slab has the ball in the opposition net. Bartram had saved many fine shots, but so had Sagar. It was good fare and that was the main thing for there was nothing vital in the result –excepting the bonus.
Livingstone To Move
Archie Livingstone, the Everton inside forward or half-back, will most probably join Plymouth Arygle this week. He has not signed but negotiations are almost complete. Livingstone, who will join the former Everton player Rawlings, was signed by the Goodison club from Bury, May 1946.

May 26, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton failed to hold an early lead against Charlton Athletic at Goodison Park, and were forced to a 1-1 draw, but apparently Charlton were highly flattered. Colleagues Radar writes; “On more than one occasion this season it has been necessary to criticise Everton for unwillingness to shoot, but such certainly was not the case in this game. After the interval especially Dodds and company lashed shots at Sam Bartram, but they just could not add to the wonder goal scored by Wainwright after five minutes. Unfortunately Chris Duffy, the clever little winger once again demonstrated his opportunism by saving a point. The result to my mind was a travesty of justice. Prompted by choice service from Farrell and Bentham the forwards made progress with football of the lightest order. Dodds was a dangerous leader, Wainwright a trustful inside-right; Stevenson a master at creating openings; and Eglington the more prominent of the wingers, the only blemish of his display being a tragic miss when he scored the ball over following Mcllhatton’s corner. “Humphreys always dominated Vaughan but Saunders found Duffy an elusive customer and Greenhalgh was the more confident full back, with Sagar his customary cultured self in goal. Definitely a point which Everton did not deserved to drop.”

May 26, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
But Chances Go A-Begging
Twomey’s Saves
By Stork
Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys, and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Grant, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Leeds United;- Twomey, goal; Bannister and Gadsby, backs; Hodgkinson, Holley and Henry, half-backs; Powell, Clarke, Ainsley, Short, and Heaton, forwards. Referee; Mr. C. Fletcher (Northwich). There was an au revior feeling at Goodison this afternoon, for this was Everton’s last league game there this season. Furthermore, Leeds may not see the ground again for some considerable time for they are due for relegation to the Second Division. Although this was almost the month of June there were still people who wanted their football and despite the fact that there was nothing vital in this game there must have been 30,000 people present when the game started. Everton made one change. Wainwright who is troubled with an injured ankle stood down so that Grant came in at inside right. Leeds made a number of alterations – Bannister for Milburn, Hodgkinson for Williamson and Clarke for Powell, who moved to outside right. Leeds made a promising start and in the first half minute Powell tested Sagar with a cross shot which Sagar caught at the angle of the posts. Everton replied with some attractive football without however calling upon Twomey, and the next move of any interest was a centre by Heaton which just travelled in front of Ainsley, who was unable to make contact. Had he done so there would have been great trouble for Sagar.
Everton Go Ahead
Dodds took to roaming, and this rather upset the Leeds defensive plan. Grant was provided with an opening, but he failed to hit the ball with full power, and it trickled quietly to Twomey’s hands. All things considered, there had been some entertaining play yet it was rather a surprise when Everton scored the opening goal. They had promised one earlier, but had not found a true line or else Twomey had been there to make saves. However, at 15 minutes Farrell, Stevenson, and Eglington linked up in a bonny movement which culminated in a lovely centre by the winger to Grant. The little North-Easterner had to have two bites at the cherry before he finally shot the ball to the back of the net at 15 minutes. Dodds out on the wing, made a centre that was much too close to the goalkeeper and then Heaton cut in, in dangerous fashion to create trouble for the Everton defence. He finally shot against the netting.
Fatal Free Kick
For a time, Everton were the dominant party but a free kick against Everton proved fatal. When Powell took his free kick he shot the ball high to Sagar’s left hand and it struck the crossbar and bounded down. Sagar who had come over, dropped on the ball but actually knocked it over the line. Twomey –was soon called into action again making a smart save from Dodds and at this stage Everton were clamping down on the United defence but several opportunities were missed when Mcllhatton put over a number of tasty centres. There was one time when a second goal to Everton seemed assured, but Dodds shot wide. The last quarter of an hour of the first half should been seen Everton built up a lead well out of the reach of anything Leeds could do to besmirch it. Mcllhatton put ever several centres which literally called to be turned into goals, but there were no takers. It was left to Dodds to give Everton the lead two minutes from the interval. Grant and Stevenson made the opening and when it came it left Dodds unchallenged with the exception of the goalkeeper, who was left holding the baby. He could do nothing about Dodds shot which would have beaten any goalkeeper.
Half-time –Everton 2, Leeds United 1
Everton resumed strongly and Dodds gained a free kick. This Mcllhatton placed to Dodds head but Holley got his foot to the ball first. The game had quietened down and the promise Leeds had shown earlier on had died out completely.
Liverpool Reserves v Everton Reserves
At Anfield, before a large crowd Baron put through for Liverpool in the first few minutes, but was offside. After clever play by McPeake and Lyon, McPeake opened Everton’s account after 30 minutes, followed two minutes later by a second by Catterick.
Half-time; Liverpool Res 0, Everton Res 2
Liverpool became aggressive and Shepherd (A.) reduced the arrears by a header, and Done made the scores level. Middleham gave Liverpool the lead. Final; Liverpool Res 3, Everton Reserves 2.

May 27, 1947. The Liverpool Daily Post
Early Goal by Grant Discouraged Leeds
By Stork
Everton 4, (Grant, Dodds 2, and Stevenson), Leeds United 1 (Powell).
Everton had no difficulty in beating Leeds United at Goodison Park yesterday. Indeed, it was not surprising to see why the United are bound for the Second Division. After a promising start they fell away playing as though they had no fight left in them. Everton could have beaten them by double figures. It was after Everton had opened the scoring through Grant that the United fell away. Then it was practically one-way traffic for Everton for the rest of the game. There was an occasional dart and flurry by Leeds, and Sagar had to make a save or two. Powell, a first class winger, scored for Leeds. From a free kick he struck the cross-bar; the ball bounced down almost on to the goalline, and Sagar in trying to save, seemed accidentally to knock the ball over his own line.
The Everton Way
The Leeds forwards shot from too far out. Everton showed them a better way when Dodds added two more goals and Stevenson the fourth. But there were many more scoring opportunities. It was remarkable, for instance, how Stevenson lobbed the ball on to the crossbar instead of into the net. Everton played to a high standard though there was nothing hectic about the game. The warm weather may have tired some of the players but never did Everton appear to be in any serious difficulty. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys, and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Grant, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Leeds United; - Twomey, goal; Bannister and Gadsby, backs; Hodgkinson, Holley and Henry, half-backs; Powell, Clarke, Ainsley, Short, and Heaton, forwards. Referee; Mr. C. Fletcher (Northwich).

May 27, 1947. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool were dangerous in the first half of the game at Anfield, but were too often offside. McPeake scored for Everton in 30 minutes, and Catterick two minutes later. Shepherd (A.) scored for Liverpool early in the second half, Done and Middleham adding the second and third for the winners.

May 27, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton finished off their home League season with a comfortable victory over Leeds United, one of the unfortunates of Division 1, who are due a spell in the lower regions. One can readily understand why the United have had such a poor season. The burden they have had to carry has proved too heavy, and they have gradually sunk lower and lower until their fighting spirit has entirely vanished. When things are going wrong for the club, the players are greatly affected. They are scared to try anything in case it turns against them. Everton had such a spell, but they never lost a belief in themselves and knew that the luck would turn one day, it did. It never has for Leeds, who opened well against Everton, played nicely for fifteen minutes, when a goal against them took the heart out of them. Even when they obtained the equaliser it did not turn them into a side of fighters. The goal should have set them ablaze, even though they were aware that a win could make little difference to them. It was a half-hearted United after grant’s goal which was augmented by goals by Dodds (two) and Stevenson. Had Everton taken fully tally of their chances Twomey would have had an acting back kicking the ball out of the net, but Everton did not press, knowing that there was little or no danger in this Leeds eleven. Perhaps the greatest miss was Stevenson’s scoop on to the crossbar. How it got there from two yards out was amazing. One would have thought it much easier to pop the ball into the net, as he should have done. However, one could forgive and forget on an afternoon which lent itself more to the cricket grounds, and tennis courts than a soccer field. There was some capital football without it being exciting and so the Goodison door closes with Everton in the top half of the table, a splendid endeavour when one recalls the struggling days of the early part of the season. Wainwright was unable to play because of an injured ankle, but young Jackie Grant fitted in well as a partner to Mcllhatton.
V Newcatsle Reserves; Burnett; FH Wilcox; Livingstone, Lindley, Watson; Green, Johnson, Catterick, Higgins, Boyes.

May 29, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton have only one doubt regarding their team to oppose Arsenal at Highbury Stadium on Saturday. This affects inside-right, where either Eddie Wainwright or Jackie Grant will appear. Wainwright played against Charlton last week –he got the Everton goal –but damaged a foot, and Grant came into the side against Leeds United on Monday. He also got a goal. Secretary-Manager Mr. Theo Kelly is still waiting definite news of Wainwright’s progress, and a final decision cannot be made until that comes through. Eddie is in the Army. Everton have an attractive Central league game at Goodison Park on Saturday, for Newcastle United provide the opposition, and to enable the United to catch an early train home the kick-off has been brought forward to 2.30 pm. Everton (from); Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Grant, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington.
Everton Reserves; Burnett; Jackson, F.H. Wilcox; Livingstone, Lindley, Watson; Green, Johnson, Catterick, Higgins, Boyes.

May 30, 1947. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s visit to Arsenal providing they bag both points, will enable them to rise one further step in the final table. Arsenal have been a curiously in-and-out side this season. Short spells of non-success have been followed by encouraging revival only for them to slip back again. The signing of Joe Mercer and Ronnie Rooke, did something to put then on a more even keel, but even yet they are something of an enigma. A few months back one would have hesitated to hold out much hope of an Everton victory, even allowing for the Gunners’ shortcomings. Today we have a new Everton, to whom nothing is impossible and a win, though it won’t be easy, is not out of the sphere of practical things. Wainwright will play if fit. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; forwards from Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Grant, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington.

May 30, 1947. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall). Everton conclude their programme with a visit to Highbury to face Arsenal and with either Wainwright or Grant at inside-right. The Blues have a chance of completing a “double” and yet defensive power may make this a draw. Well, an away point as the season’s savoury” would be most acceptable. This will be Joe Mercer’s first ever game against his old club, and I warn Joe and his pals that they will have to play better than against Liverpool to beat a highly-attractive Everton who go on to play Gillingham in an exhibition game on Monday. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Humphreys, Farrell; (from); Mcllhatton, Wainwright, Grant, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington.

May 31, 1947. The Evening Express
Spirited Display Against A Clever Arsenal
Radar’s Review
Everton, who completed their League programme today with a visit to the Arsenal, have an interest in several Gillingham players. They play a friendly game against the Southern Section club now managed by Archie Clark, former Everton wing-half, On Monday evening, and this is a game which will give Everton secretary manager, Mr. Theo Kelly, and his directors, the opportunity of running the eye over several of the Gillingham stars. The Everton party, which included chairman Mr. W. Gibbins and directors Messrs, Ernest Green, George Evans, Dick Searle, Fred Lake and John Sharpe, had a pre-match chat with Joe Mercer, who travelled on the same train to London yesterday. This marked Joe’s first match for the Arsenal against his former colleagues. Prior to the evening game against Gillingham on Monday, Everton will watch the Kent-Warwickshire County Cricket game which is being played at Gillingham. Tomorrow the entire party go for a “mystery” tour organised by Mr. Kelly. Today the Highbury Stadium was saying farewell to manager Mr. George Allison, who is returning to journalism. An early arrival was Mr. Harry Mansley, vice chairman of Chester. Everton again lacked the services of Eddie Wainwright and Jackie Grant continued at inside right. Arsenal; Swindin, goal; Scot and Barnes, backs; Sloan, Fielden, and Mercer (captain), half-backs; McPherson, Logie, Lewis, Rooke and Calverley, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Bentham, Humphreys and Farrell, half-backs; Mcllhatton, Grant, Dodds, Stevenson, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. T.S. Norcott, Glouester. Short sleeves predominated among the 30,000 who saw Arsenal, captained by Mercer, open keenly and Sagar had to leave his goal to foil Rooke. Then Farrell came over to the left to dispossess Mercer. After Barnes had checked Dodds Calverley went away to serve Lewis with a glorious cross-pass but Bentham stepped in with a timely tackle. When Everton really went away for the first time Stevenson glided through for Grant to edge the ball over the Mcllhatton. The Everton winger moved forward and let go a smashing right-footer which flashed over the top. A cute Dodds back heel intended for Stevenson almost caught Fielden and Swinden napping. Considering the conditions this was grand football with both teams emphasising the classic arts. There was danger for Arsenal when Mercer just managed to beat grant to it at the expense of a corner. The Everton defence was tackling strongly and allowing Lewis and company no time to meditate. Everton had certainly held the advantage up to now without being able to bring Swindin into action, and the first considered effort at goal was a glancing shot by Rooke from McPherson’s free kick, which was narrowly off the mark even if without power. Arsenal were clever and progressive, although several raids came to nought because Rooke and Logie over hit their passes.
Arsenal Attack
At this stage Arsenal had gained superiority and it was fortunate that Greenhalgh was on the sort to take possession when Lewis veered out to the left and tried to “find” Calverley. Arsenal came again and McPherson tried a first timer which cannoned behind off Greenhalgh for an abortive corner. With a light ball and hard ground it was hardly surprising that passes now began to fall astray, the Everton forwards in particular failing several times to find their menu. Again Greenhalgh came to the rescue when Rooke served up one for McPherson on a platter. Greenhalgh was glad to concede a corner but still Sagar was not tested. In the 23rd minute Everton broke away to take the lead a little against the run of play. Grant carved opt an opening for Mcllhatton, who rounded Barnes and crossed a low ball across the face of goal. Dodds came speeding in to take a hefty kick at the ball and missed it completely. The ball ran clear to Eglington and the Irishman netted in his own good time from close in, with the Arsenal defence completely a sea. Everton kept it up after this, and twice Dodds was held up in the nick of time. Then Sagar had to leap high to deal with a Bentham pass back with Lewis on the goal trial. Stevenson and Eglington were always menacing, and it was fortunate for Arsenal on one occasion that Fieds was on the spot to head clear an accurate Stevenson left-footer from 25 yards. Arsenal fritted away several chances through over-elaboration, and then in the 31st minute drew level with a surprise goal. Rooke tried a 20-yard drive which apparently well covered. Sagar went full length and parried the ball cleverly, but such was the power of Rooke’s drive that he was unable to prevent it trickling quietly over the line. After Fields had again headed clear this time for Bentham –Lewis and McPherson combined cleverly but McPherson nullified all the good work by placing weakly behind. There was little to choice now between the two teams who must both had felt already the need for a Turkish bath and shot production at this stage was a premium. Arsenal continued to retain a sight balance, put it was a case of both attacks stiffening from lack of accuracy in passing.
Half-time Arsenal 1, Everton 1.
If there was a certain end of season atmosphere about the game, it was always entertaining and the resumption saw Arsenal strike quickly. Within a minute they had taken the lead with a grand goal. It was McPherson who created the opening by flicking the ball over Greenhalgh’s head and crossing quickly across the goal for Lewis to speed in and shoot into the roof of the net. Sagar had no semblance of a chance.
Everton Res v Newcastle Res
On the resumption Everton took up the attack, and Higgins scored with a penalty kick. Garbett saved grand shots from close quarters by the inside trio. In the 60th minute Higgins hit the crossbar and Johnson, jumping in, netted a second for Everton.

May 1947