Everton Independent Research Data


May 1, 1948. The Liverpool Football Echo
But Blues Had “Iron Curtain”
Bolton W. 0, Everton 0
By Stork
Sagar and Jones were the big men in this game. The Wanderers had by far the greater number of attacks, but the two Everton man would not yield. Bolton Wanderers; Hanson, goal; Roberts and Banks, backs; Howe, Gillies, and Forrest, half-backs; Woodward, Jackson, Dillion, Bradley, and Muir, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Hedley, backs; Lindley, Jones (captain) and Grant, half-backs; Higgins, Johnson, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. R.A. Mortimer (Huddersfield). The Everton team showed a change or two. Farrell was suffering with throat trouble and Wainwright was on the injured list. Wanderers also had their team trouble and they had to play 18-year-old Dillion at centre forward. An Everton move ended when it reached the Wanderers defence and then came another Bolton attack and Dillion showed his skill with a perfect pass to Woodward.
Beautiful Combination.
Bolton continued in command, and Hedley injured himself when he went over the back of an opponent. He soon recovered and the Everton attack went into action with a beautiful bit of combination started by Jones. It failed to reach goalkeeper Hanson, whose next task was to field a strong, free kick by Jones. The Wanderers were soon back again testing the Everton defence with some sound football which did not suggest that a few weeks ago they were in dire peril. Jones was prominent with both head and foot in repelling the many attacks.
Dillion’s Control
Sagar once again demonstrated his greatness when he dived to keep out a Dillion effort. The former Rusholme League player, who was only signed about six weeks ago, has good football control and kept his wings, supplied with nice passes. He gave Woodward, of the most dangerous forwards on the field, every opportunity to show his worth. Sagar-again saved from Dillion, but it was not the type of shot to cause the Everton goalkeeper any anxiety. Hereabouts the Wanderers goal had an escape when Dodds from close range shot against Hanson and cannoned away. There was still a danger for with goalkeeper out it –only needed someone alert enough to stride in and take advantage. The Wanderers defence, for the first time, lost some of its calm.
At Foot of Post
This lead to a more stolid attack by Everton and an Eglington centre came nicely along for Everton, but the little Irishman only half hit his shot and Hanson was able to dive and save at the foot of then post. Dodds broke through the middle but he was tackled as he shot so that the incident was not so dangerous as it looked. At this point Everton were doing better, but it was Sagar who made the next save and the score at the interval was Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 0
In the first ten minutes there were few incidents, the first one being a free kick which was taken by Higgins, who put behind goal. Bolton then moved off, and Sagar made yet another sensational save when he collared a first-time drive by Jackson.
A Shade Late
Lindley, after beating his man, put the ball into the Wanderers goalmouth, but Hanson, although harassed by Dodds, was able to push the ball out Stevenson was only a shade late, otherwise he must have scored. There was some stern defence in the Everton goal area and Jones once pushed Dillion out of the war and many thought a penalty should have been the outcome. The referee, however, who was bang on the spot made no signal whatever. Dodds and Higgins often changed places in an endeavour to break down the Wanderers’ defence, but without success. A goal should have been scored by Dodds following good play by Johnson and Higgins. The Scottish international when perfectly placed and without interference, lobbed the ball over.
Heartbreak Jones
Eglington astounded the crowd with his speed which took him right up to the goal line from where he turned the ball inside for Hanson to pounce on and clear. Tommy Jones must have been a heartbreak to the Bolton inside trio Dillion, Jackson and Bradley, for he was repeatedly beating them with head and foot when goals seemed a certainty. Final; Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 0. Attendance was 7,228, the lowest of the season for Burnden Park.

May 1, 1948. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton were the better side in the initial stages, and in the 16th minute Bentham gave them the lead. United replied vigorously and after 26 minutes Taylor equaliser. Newcastle now were predominant, and after 33 minutes Thompson gave them the lead.
Half-time; Everton Res 1, Newcastle United Res 2.
After resuming Everton attacked and Lowery saved good shots from Pinchbeck and Bentham. In the 53rd minute Newcastle went further ahead when Taylor scored. Final; Everton Res 1, Newcastle United Res 4.

May 1, 1948. Evening Express
Brilliant Goalkeeping Earns A Point at Bolton
Pilot’s Points
Sagar earned a valuable point for Everton at Burnden Park where Bolton Wanderers and Everton failed to score. Sagar’s saves were outstanding in a somewhat dull game through Everton’s forwards missed chances. Injuries and illness forced Everton to make another late change when opposing –Bolton Wanderers at Burden Park today. Wainwright was injured so Albert Johnson who is on transfer, played at inside right, and was under review by Mr. Frank Brown, manager of Chester. Farrell and Fielding had not recovered from illness. The Wanderers were without Lofthouse and introduced Dillion, the Manchester boy, at centre-forward. Bolton Wanderers; Hanson, goal; Roberts and Banks, backs; Howe, Gillies, and Forrest, half-backs; Woodward, Jackson, Dillion, Bradley, and Moir, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Hedley, backs; Lindley, Jones (captain) and Grant, half-backs; Higgins, Johnson, Dodds, Stevenson and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. R.A. Mortimer (Huddersfield). Tommy Jones was Everton’s captain for the day. Dillion was the spear-head of the opening raid, but his shot was too lofty to give any worry to Sagar who, however had to come out to the edge of the goal area to turn aside a low centre from Moir. Everton were kept defending, but this they did with comparative ease, although Sagar had to be quick to get down to Hedley’s back pass. This was the Everton 1947-48 season story all over again –Sagar versus the opposition. Sagar’s goalkeeping laid the foundations for Everton to survive. He defied the full power of the Bolton attack, leaping across and upwards to turn over a shot from Moir, who kept going cleverly to the centre to the discomfiture of Jones. When Jackson took deliberate aim for the top far corner just inside the penalty area, it looked a million to of Sagar flashed into the picture, and one on a goal until that leaping figure the ball was around the post instead of in the net. It was exactly 12 minutes’ before Everton made their first real attack, and then it was delightfully done, Stevenson and Dodds going through by close inter-passing and although the final pass gave Stevenson a clear opening his shot went outside. Woodward wasted a close-up free kick, before Jones went up to take a free kick, but Hanson was bang in position. Sagar was soon in action again running out to dispose of a danger laden centre from Woodward. The Wanderers, were much the better side with their forwards playing nice football, and Dillion, an exceptionally thoughtful and quick shooting leader. Both Higgins and Eglington progressed well, but in turn failed to use the ball accurately, the centres being much too high to produce anything tangible. Dillion was held up by Saunders after an excellent run, and then the youngsters just toe-ended the ball; Sagar diving just to make sure. Moir pushed the ball back along the ground for the in running Forest, under review here today for transfer purposes, but the shot was off the target.
Everton’s Attack
After half an hour Everton’s wing half-backs, Lindley and Grant, took all the string out of the Wanderers’ attack and repeatedly slipped the ball through invitingly for their own forwards. This brought a minor transformation with Everton now dictating the way things should go, and Everton might have had a penalty when Dodds was brought down. Higgins played some nice football, then Eglington hooked the ball over invitingly for Dodds who, however, was a spilt second too slow in taking the chance and he was crowded out. Eglington came again and his centre was slipped to one side by Dodds for Stevenson to shoot accurately just inside the post. It seemed –a certain goal, but Hanson came from nowhere to dive on the ball.
Half-time; Bolton W 0, Everton 0
Everton continued to play nice football in midfield, but Bolton looked the more dangerous side, and for quite a period only excellent defence kept them at bay, Sagar saving well while both Saunders and Hedley gave good covering. Lindley centred under the bar where Hanson had difficulty in getting the ball away as Dodds ran in. On the hour Everton should have been a goal up the chance falling to Dodds. Lindley’s run split wide the Wanderers defence, Johnson ran to the line and placed the ball back inviting along the floor. The easiest thing Dodds had to do was to put it into the net, but he lofted it over the op, Hanson had to dash out to dive over the centre from Eglington.
Sagar Saves
Then Sagar leapt up with another glorious save, this time at the expense of Moir. Sagar also saved a shot deflected by Jones. Everton’s 38-year-old goalkeeper was playing a glorious finale with his wonder display. Everton might easily have placed the Wanderers on the collar but for missing comparatively easy chance. Everton were rather quicker on the ball but never shot with the venom of accuracy of Bolton. Dodds tried one form the edge of the penalty area but Hanson, who had made no error, came across to make his catch by the post. Sagar made a brilliant save from Moir in the closing minutes of a game producing a fitting result. Final; Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 0.
• Everton “A” 5, Bootle St. James 1.

May 1, 1948. The Evening Express
Everton had attractive visitors in Newcastle. Pinchbeck led the home attack, which was early dangerous, Boyes centred for Lello, to test the United goalkeeper with a good shot. Newcastle made several hot attacks, but found Burnett safe in the home goal. In the 16th minute Everton deservedly took the lead through Bentham, who placed a ball well out of the keeper’s reach. The United, in the 26th minute, got on level terms. Taylor netting a fine goal, and several minutes later Thompson gave the United the lead. Half-time; Everton Res 1, Newcastle Res 2.
Everton attacked after the interval, Pinchbeck and Bentham having hard lines with good efforts. In the 53rd minute, Newcastle went further ahead Taylor netting from close. Final; Everton Res 1, Newcastle United Res 4.

May 3, 1948. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 0
Although Bolton Wanderers had the greater portion of the game, Everton had the better scoring chances. At least two were gilt-edged, whereas the Wanderers had to make their openings in face of stern opposition. Ted Sagar has done some miraculous things in the Everton goal, but one save on the occasion stood out as his best of the season and I am not unmindful of his penalty save at Wolverhampton. Jackson’s shot had no great pace, but it swirled past Sagar and it looked a certain goal. Just as the ball dipped towards the line Sagar got his finger tips to it to turn it out. That was only one of the many things Sagar did. He undoubtedly saved this game for his side in those first fifteen minutes and broke the hearts and confidence of the Bolton forwards, who had shaped like a winning five up to then. Sagar had grand helpmate who never flinched when they were being hit by a tidal wave of attacking. Jones was the complete centre half, standing like a Gibraltar. Victory might well have been Everton’s if the forwards could have taken simple chances. True, Everton came in patches, but from their few incursions two of three goals could have been scored. Dodds and Stevenson in the first half can have no excuse to offer for their misses, for the lead up was cunningly schemed. Midway through the second half Lindley and Higgins conspired to give Dodds the chance of a lifetime. Not even so capable a goalkeeper as Hanson should have been given an opportunity to save. For the Everton defence there is nothing but praise. Lindley had a great game, and Grant’s tackling was good to see, while Saunders still wearing the scars of battle in the form of a plastered eyebrows, thwarted Bolton time and again.

May 3, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Throughout the season I have paid every adjective in connection with Ted Sagar’s wonderful work in the Everton goal. I thought the penalty save at Wolverhampton the last word but he brought off one at Burnden Park which was equally thrilling and perhaps just as difficult to make. A penalty save always brings down the house, while some others of equal merit are more or less taken for granted. This one against Bolton Wanderers was the talk of the boardroom after the game and I am not surprised for it was a tremendous save. Jackson’s shot may have been simple-looking to the onlookers, but it was loaded with danger. The ball actually passed by Sagar and was just dipping under the bar when the Everton goalkeeper sprang across his goal and finger-tipped the ball out. “Truly magnificent” I said to myself, but quite up to the Sagar standard this season. No goalkeeper has had a better season, and this is the day of good goalkeepers, with the Swift and Ditchburn. Sagar’s injuction is uncanny, his positional sense upherring and it was well that he had these two things at Burden, otherwise Bolton would have won. (writes Stork). Bolton enjoyed a high percentage of attack, but for it all they had nothing to show, for apart from Sagar there were others to lend a hand in backing-out the fiery Wanderers forwards who at one time looked like sweeping to a sound victory. Tom Jones was a thorn in the flesh of the Bolton inside forwards. He barred the way down the middle and farther behind were two staunch backs in Saunders and Hedley. Grant is only a little un but with the heart of a lion. No man was too big in frame or ability for him to tackle, and how successful he was. Lindley also had a grand game, but I am afraid my praise finishes there, for the forwards supplied me with no cause for praise. They produced one or two subtle movements which brought them into scoring positions-beautiful openings which, however, were scorned. Strange that a side which was mainly on the defensive should have the better scoring opportunities, but that is fact and not fiction. I wonder what the Bolton forwards would have done with such gilt-edged chances. Probably sent the ball hurting to the back of the net in spite of Sagar. They did better with not so good chances. At least two goals should have been Everton’s portion, and would have been had there been a marksman among them. The worst miss of all came in the second half when a Lindley-Higgins link-up placed the ball on a plate for Dodds, who had only to be accurate to be assured of a goal. A dogett Hansons should not have saved, but Dodds did not even call on the Wanderers goalkeeper, who must have been grateful to the Scot, who lofted the ball over the bar. It was a tragic miss, for a goal then would I am sure have give Everton victory. So let us offer a hand to the mightily men of defence who made this draw possible; the forwards could and should have made it a win. Frank Brown, manager of Chester, was running the rule over Albert Johnson, the Everton inside forward with a view to taking him to Sealand-road.

May 3, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Senior Cup provides Attractive Finish to Soccer season
Everton and Liverpool followers have an attractive titbit to wind up the soccer season this evening when the city’s two senior sides meet at Goodison Park in the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. A Liverton-Derby always draws its magnet no matter what the teams re like or what is at stake, when as in the case tonight; first teams are fielded and the prise is one of the most handsome trophies in the country; there is sure to be a crowd almost as big as the recent League meeting between the pair at Anfield. Owning to several Everton players having received knocks on Saturday’s game, the Blues definite team has not yet been chosen, but will be picked from the following; Sagar; Saunders, Hedley; Lindley, Jones, Grant, Farrell; Higgins, Johnson, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington, Lello. The Liverpool team is the same as that which defeated Wolves on Saturday. Sidlow; Jones, Lambert; Taylor, Hughes, Paisley; Liddell, Balmer, Stubbins, Fagan, Briersley.

May 3, 1948. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
The Final Merseyside “Derby” match of the season will be staged at Goodison Park this evening, when Everton will endeavour to record their first win in two seasons over the American-bound rivals. Liverpool. This is the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup, of which the Reds are the holders. This will prove no mere end-of-the-season canter for both clubs are fielding their full first teams and each player receives a valuable memento. Yes, and like all matches this game –starting at 7-.m. – carries full bonus to give lie to those who labour, the delusion that games in the closing day’s of a season having nothing at stake. Liverpool completed a League “double” over the Toffees who have yet to score against the Anfield lads this season. And believe me Everton will have to show more goalmouth enterprise than they did against Bolton Wanderers when forcing a goalless draw on Saturday, if they are to break down this sound Liverpool defence. The way they frittered away chances at Burden was tantalising and one miss by Dodds had to be seen to be believed. Everton’s half-backs and defence were magnificent and it was fitting that Ted Sagar should end his glorious season on such a high note and that Tommy Jones should bring a story-book ending to his return to that spot in the sun. All the other defenders did well, and none more so than Lindley and Saunders. Clean and sporting with so much good football, but Sagar won the £1 bonus for the Blues. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Hedley; Lindley, Jones (TG), Grant, Farrell; Higgins, Johnson, Dodds, Stevenson, Eglington, Lello.

By Stork
Everton 0, Liverpool 2
The third Liverpool derby game of the season just concluded lived up to its predecessors, not only in point of play but also regarding the winners, for Liverpool once again overcame Everton to win one of the most handsome prizes, the Liverpool Senior Cup by 2-0 in the final at Goodison Park last night. Football dies hard, for although the season officially concluded last Saturday there was a crowd of 44,814 to see this meeting which provided Liverpool with a treble. It was a game of halves, for while Everton were superior in the opening stanza, Liverpool were the dominant partly in the second half. In the first 15 minutes it looked as though Liverpool would sweep Everton out of the game by their thrust, their shooting and magnificent football strategy and Sagar once again had to produce his season’s best to keep out shots from Fagan and Balmer. Then Everton got a grip of matters, but there was still that lack of punch when they got close to goal. The opportunities were made and goals should have been scored. In defence there was a solidness which prevented Liverpool from digging themselves in, and the interval was reached without a goal to record. A goal-less half is sometime rather boring but not in this game, for their was so much good football in it that the lack of goals could be discounted. Some of the forward play by Liverpool in those first 15 minutes was a joy to behold, and some of Everton’s approach work was of equal merit. But a game is all the better for a goal.
Popular Goal
One came at the 60th minute, and of course, it was Stubbins who scored. It seemed that he had lost possession, but he quickly regained it, and with his right foot hooked the ball beyond Sagar to score a popular goal. There was no denying the second half belonged to Liverpool. They may have been playing second fiddle earlier on, but then they were first violinists in the true sense. There was a possibility and it should have been certainty, of a goal to Everton, via Higgins, following a good run by Eglington and a pass by Dodds across the goal face which put him in an undisputable scoring position, but Higgins was too slow to take it and Sidlow must consider himself lucky to be given the opportunity to save. The gods do not forgive such misses and Liverpool went on to score their second goal through Fagan who gathered a Stubbing pass moved to the right and shot into the net. This was at 85 minutes. But this time the light was becoming poor but everyone saw Brierley run round Sagar who had come far out, and then pop the ball into the net. The referee pointed to the centre, but as linesmen was flagging vigorously and after consulting the referee, changed his decision. In the main it was an attractive game and the spoils went to the side which could accept it’s chances. Teams; Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Lindley, Jones, and Grant, Half-backs; Higgins, Stevenson, Dodds, Lello, and Eglington, forwards. Liverpool; Sidlow, goal; Shepherd and Lambert, backs; Taylor, Hughes, and Paisley, half-backs; Liddell, Balmer, Stubbins, Fagan, and Brierley, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. H. Clayton (Aintree).

May 4, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Derby Game Rings Down Curtain
Liverpool have been Everton’s “bogey” team this season, for they have won all three games played –two League games, and last night they lifted the Liverpool Senior Cup. Football did not go out on a dull note, for there was much in this “Derby” game to satisfy, even though it took an hour to produce a goal. It was a curious game in that Everton had a slight edge on the first half after Liverpool had a brilliant ten minutes when Sagar, as usual did his stuff to prevent Liverpool from digging themselves in. But the Everton attack is not getting value from their efforts for scoring chances are not being taken up. For long spells they had the Liverpool defence clamped down in their own half, but when it came to shooting they did not deliver a shot likely to beat Sidlow. The Welsh keeper had one or two saves to make, but there were not of the type to beat so capable a custodian. To have had the greater portion of the attack and still be without a goal is small-consolation for work honesty done. Too much is expected of the defence, which played with customary confidence, but the Everton attack is not shooting as it should do. For fully thirty minutes of the first half they had not only held their opponents but were on top as regards territorial advantage, but how we sighed for a marksman. Well held for an hour a draw seemed the most likely result; but Liverpool did not let Everton off as Everton had let them off once they had got their teeth into the game, and as the hour struck; Stubbins hit one to the back of the net and fifteen minutes later Fagan had put the issue beyond all doubt. Many of you will want to know why the referee disallowed Brierley’s goal in the last minute. The goal kick had not passed out of the penalty area. That was why it had to be retaken. When Liverpool were leading by an only goal, Higgins had the perfect scoring chance after Eglington and Dodds had combined to make the opening, but the winger was slow to take his chance and Sidlow was able to save –he should never have been allowed to do so from the position. Higgins was in. Sidlow could have viewed the chance of saving with little hope. It was a grand finish to the season, but it is obvious that the people would not mind if football carried on throughout the summer. The attendance was 44,814.

May 4, 1948. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Liverpool almost without undue exertion at times, completed the hat-trick of wins over Everton for 1947-48 by winning 2-0 at Goodison Park last night, to retain the Liverpool Senior Cup. Everton had pressure, tons of it, but only on two occasions did they look like scoring. Dodds was ineffective against Hughes, but Stubbins was a natural, elusive leader, bringing each of his forwards colleagues into the game. That was the outstanding difference. Dodds made two goal chances but they were scorned in amazing style, totally different from the Stubbins and Fagan opportunism in the second half which won the game. Brierley got the ball into the net in the second half, when he nipped in following a goal kick and to enlighten those who may be wondering why it was disallowed, I can tell you that Sagar, in passing to Saunders from the goal-kick, failed to place it beyond the penalty area, and so the ball was not in play. This was a fine game, but with Stubbins, Balmer, Lambert and all the Liverpool half-backs completely outshining an Everton who were redeemed by Greenhalgh, Sagar, Jones and Saunders.

Everton leave for their Irish tour on Saturday night and will play five games while over there. They start off with a match against Dundalk on May 9. Then follow games against Limerick, Waterford, Cork and Shelborne. They will take in these players; Sagar; Burnett; Jackson, Saunders, Greenhalgh; Humphreys, Farrell, Grant, Lindley, Jones, Watson; Higgins, Johnson, Wainwright, Dodds, Fielding, Stevenson, Lello and Eglington.

May 6, 1948. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
On Saturday evening Everton’s players sail from Liverpool for a fortnight’s tour of Ireland. Everton will play five matches, opening against Dundalk on May 9 and then go on to Limerick, Waterford, Cork and Shelbourne, returning to Liverpool on May 21. Final details for the other games have not yet been settled. No fewer than 19 players are given by Secretary-Manager Theo Kelly as the probable tourists; Sagar; Burnett; Jackson, Saunders, Greenhalgh; Humphreys, Farrell, Grant, Lindley, Jones, Watson; Higgins, Johnson, Wainwright, Dodds, Fielding, Stevenson, Lello and Eglington. During their stay in Ireland the Toffees will take in the Youth international between Ireland and England on May 15.

May 6, 1948. The Evening Express
Everton F.C. Election
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
Mr. W.C. Cuff, president of the Football League and vice-president of the Football Association has decided to make a fight for his seat on the Everton directorate. “I wondered at one time whether I should go on with it,” said Mr. Cuff to me today, “but after reflection I have decided to give the shareholders of the Everton club, the right to say whether they want me on the board, or not.” Mr. Cuff has been connected with the Everton club as director and secretary on and off for more than 50 years and this year retires by rotation with Messrs R.E. Searle and F. W. Lake. All three seek re-election and they will be opposed by Mr. Norman Coffey, a Liverpool businessman and son of a former Everton chairman, the late Mr. Andrew Coffey. Mr. Cuff is to have a busy week end in football, for the legislators gather in force at Blackpool tomorrow in readiness for the Olympic Games trial at Bloomfield road on Saturday, and there is a League management Committee meeting in London on Monday over which Mr. Cuff will preside.

May 10, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have signed four of the last season’s amateurs on professional forms for next winter. They are Jack Tansey, 19-years-old wing half, former captain of Liverpool County F.A. Youth eleven; S.F. Street, 18-years-old wing half, also a former member of the County Youth team and a native of Newton-in-Willows; Gwynfor Lewis, 17-years-old centre-forward, a Welsh junior international and native of Bangor, and Phil Taylor, aged 20, an inside forward (no relation to Liverpool’s player), who lives at Bebington. Tansey had some Central League outing for Everton in the season just closed, but the rest have played only for the junior sides.

May 13, 1948. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 3, Limerick 0
After a tame exhibition in which they were never seriously extended Everton easily disposed of Limerick Selected Challenge X1 at Limerick last night. Everton, though minus Dodds, Stevensons, and Farrell enjoyed an interval lead of two goals both by Lello and twelve minutes after the resumption Fielding converted a penalty to complete the scoring. Both sides missed a penalty kick in the first half, Johnson failing for the visitors and McCarthy for Limerick. Sagar was excellent in goal and Greenhalgh, Lindley and Humphreys easily stemmed the spasmodic raids of the opposition. Eglington was in fine form at outside-left and had a grand partner in Lello. Higgins in the centre was well subdued by Burke, but right wing combination of Fielding and Johnson was efficient. On the whole the winners were the better balanced and there was far more skill about their play. Burke, Limerick centre-half was the only opposing player up to their standard.

May 13, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton had no difficulty in beating Limerick in the second match of their Irish Tour. They were never seriously extended, although they were without Dodds, Stevenson, and Farrell. Limerick were full of endeavour, but had not the skill of their rivals, who could have built up a much convincing victory had they desired, Burke the Limerick centre half was the only home player who could match the Everton players skill. Lello (2) and Fielding were the Everton scorers. Both sides missed penalty kicks in the first half, Johnson failing for Everton and McCarthy for Limerick.

May 18, 1948. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Brian Brennan, century-goal-scoring centre forward of Stockport School-boys team, is certain to join Everton as soon as age permits. That is the opinion of everyone in schools footballing circles, and bears out the hint dropped neatly weeks ago in the Everton programme by Secretary Manager Theo Kelly. No doubt ex-Everton player Mr. Charlie Gee has told Brian of the virtues of the Everton club. Anyway, Charlie is now a Stockport schoolmaster, and was among the many visitors to Anfield yesterday to see the Liverpool and Stockport boys provide a glorious 3-3 draw.

May 19, 1948. The Liverpool Daily Post
Single Goal Did Not Reflect Superiority
Cork United 0, Everton 1
Everton ended their Irish tour defeating Cork United at Cork last night, by a goal scored by Fielding. The score did not by any means measure Everton’s superiority and but for Coutney, the Cork goalkeeper, the margin would have been higher. Cork’s efforts were so futile for most of the time, that Lindley and Farrell, the wing halves were able to play as forwards. Sagar had little or nothing to do, although he brought off a few spectacular saves. Farrell gave a splendid display, Stevenson was in top form, and Fielding and Eglington were, always prominent.

May 21, 1948. The Liverpool Daily Post
Shelborne 3, Everton 1
Everton were beaten 3-1 in the last match of their Eire tour, in Dublin last night. Shelborne took the lead in the first minute when Kinsella scored from a penalty. Everton then took a firmer grip on the game, and after Fielding struck the crossbar with a good effort, they equalised in the 12th minute, Higgins breaking through from the touchline to score with a fast, low shot. Later he missed a good opportunity of giving them the lead while Shelborne were appealing for offside. In the 16th minute of the second half Shelborne went in front again when Carroll scored from a pass by Lawlor. The lead was undeserved as Shelborne play was crappy by comparison with Everton’s. Everton switched their attack, and Greenhalgh, now playing outside left crashed in a drive which hit goalkeeper Muldooney’s feet and went out to Jackson, who returned it. Muldooney blocked the ball, on the goal-line and Sheedy completed the clearing. In the final minute O’Kelly passed to Carroll to score Shelborne’s third.

May 21, 1948. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendell)
Everton were beaten 3-1 in the last of their Eire tour games at Dublin last night. In this match, which was for one of Shelborne’s players, Peter Keeley, Shelborne took the lead in the first minute when Kinsella converted a penalty. Everton gradually took a firmer grip on the game, Fielding striking the crossbar with a good shot. Maintaining the pressure they equalised in the 12th minutes. Higgins breaking-through from the touchline to score with a fast ground shot. Later he missed an opportunity of giving them the lead, while Shelborne appealed for off-side. In the 16th minute of the second half Shelborne went in front again when Carroll scored from a pass by Lawlor. The lead was undeserved as Shelborne play was crappy by comparison with Everton’s. Everton switched their attack, and Greenhalgh, now playing outside left crashed in a drive which hit goalkeeper Muldooney’s feet and went out to Jackson, who returned it. Muldooney blocked the ball, on the goal-line and Sheedy completed the clearing. In the final minute O’Kelly passed to Carroll to score Shelborne’s third.

May 21, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton concluded their Irish tour with a game against Shelborne at Dublin last night, and although they suffered defeat it cannot be said that the Irish club deserved their 3-1 victory, for their play was scrappy by comparison with Everton’s. Shelborne took the lead via the penalty spot; Kinsella scoring, but Higgins levelled matters. In the second half Shelborne again went in front, through Carroll and near the end he scored a third.

Everton Give Football Exhibition
Waterford Standard - Saturday 22 May 1948
For the visit of Everton Football Club to Kilcohan Park on Sunday last, there was not the monster crowd one might have expected. High prices and the Jure of sun-drenched beaches probably drew many elsewhere. It would be wrong to say that the game was disappointing, for while the Waterford Selected team appeared unusually inept (perhaps by comparison) the visitors displayed intermittent patches of clever, co-ordinated football, such as is seldom seen in Ireland. Had the homesters proved Stronger opposition, Everton would have been even more brilliant, for they never really had to try hard. The man who caught the eye of the spectators was - much-capped Irish International Alex Stevenson, who, playing inside right for the visitors, made the opposing backs seem fumbling and awkward; his footwork and brainwork were superb. Feehan was the only Waterford man to shine, and he made some fine saves. All all, the general opinion was that the score might have been doubled or even trebled, had Everton thought it necessary.


May 1948