Everton Independent Research Data


May 2, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
As By Third Lanark
Everton 2, Third Lanark
If Third Lanark came to Goodison Park to introduce to us the traditional Scottish type of football they certainly succeeded. Not for a long time has Sagar had to throw himself about so much and judging by the clouds of dust he raised he must at this moment be suffering a few bruises. The Scottish team proved themselves to be masters of the old-fashioned triangular method of attack –the half-backs acting as the main-spring and keeping pace with the thrust of the forwards. Time and again this clever scheming caught the Everton defenders on the wrong foot. Everton strove manfully to counteract the guile of the opposition and the fact that they twice held the lead is tribute to their aggression. The 13,000 spectators reveled in this feast of football. It was a pity that grand Scottish international Jimmy Mason was missing from the visitors team because of an appendicitis operation, but one saw sufficient of the genius of the Scotsmen to realize that English teams can still learn much from their studied-along-the-carpet passing and their penchant for having a “crack” at goal. But for the acrobatic saves of Sagar it is questionable if Everton would have enjoyed equality. Still, it was an appropriate result to a game which I is hoped is only the forerunner of further meetings with Scottish League clubs. Everton’s scorers were Mcllhatton (five minutes) and Juliussen (forty minutes), Marksmen for Third Lanark were Staroscik (thirty-six minutes), and McCulloch (sixty-five minutes).

May 2, 1949. The Evening Express
Radar’s Log
At Goodison Park the exhibition of Scottish football artistry failed to excite the 14,000 spectators when Everton entertained Third Lanark in a friendly game which resulted in a 2-2 draw. Best goal of the game came after 20 minutes in a dull second half when McCulloch scored with a brilliant header from Thom’s neat centre. Before the interval, the Scotsman’s close-pattern work had little effect on an Everton defence which stood firm despite the absence of Tommy Jones. Everton were first to score, Mcllhatton heading home an Eglington corner after four minutes. Staroisck replied for Third Lanark after 36 minutes and Juliussen, who had an uninspired outing against Christie, restored the Everton lead in the 39th minute. It was left the McCulloch to brighten matters with Lanark’s second equalizer.

May 2, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
All Everton’s relegation worries might have been solved long ago, or for that matter might never have prevailed if earlier in the season they had some of the lessons given them by Third Lanark at Goodison Park on Saturday. The slick-moving Scottish half backs and forwards showed how quickly progress towards goal can be made by keeping the ball working along the ground, and they demonstrated too the danger that can accrue to opposing defenders by such tactics. The powerful shooting and well-directed heading of the Glasgow team was a splendid example to Everton, who if they can take full advantage of it in their two remaining League games, should certainly save themselves from relegation. This was a “friendly” of the spicy and palatable type. There was an abundance of clever football, and numerous thrilling goalmouth incidents in which Sagar “stole the show,” with some wonderful acrobatic team to effect saves that must be classified as amazing. The lightning like flashes that brought the Scotsman goals definitely bewildered Sagar but he averted an avalanche. Everton’s two counters that meant equality were cleverly enough engineered, but they lacked the venom and power that characterized the scores against them. Everton would be well advised to remember the penetrative punch behind Third Lanark’s scores. This was a pleasing game and justified a keen desire to see more of Scottish clubs in Liverpool.

May 3, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Tomorrow’s Game With Wolves
Liverpool sports folk will have the opportunity of greeting the Cup winners, Wolverhampton Wanderers at Goodison Park tomorrow evening. It was here that the Midlanders staked their claim for a Wembley appearance by beating the famed Manchester United in the semi-final which was a much better game than the final turned out to be. The Wolves have a heavy fixture list before the curtain runs down on Saturday for they have three games before them during the next four days. I have not had their team to oppose Everton tomorrow but I hope there is a generous sprinkling of final players. Many people are inclined to think that this is going to be an easy thing for Everton. They base their claim do the fact that the Wolves have nothing more to win and are well satisfied with this season’s working. Everton are now safe and have no worries. They can, therefore, go into this game with an easy mind, and if they can reproduce the form they showed in the first half of their game against Manchester United, I am confident that they will give the Cup holders hard game. Wally Fielding resumed training yesterday and Eddie Wainwright is fit again so the side will be at full strength. There is any amount of skill in the Wolves team and the Everton defence will have to be on its toes to keep out the last wingers and the clever inside forwards. The Wolves defence is not always convincing. It can easily be rattled –Leicester had it unsettled for a quarter of an hour –and if the Everton forwards keep on top of it goals should come despite Williams, a really great goalkeeper. The Everton defence is very sure of itself with its smart covering tactics but the Wolves are capable of taking full advantage of any slip. See that there are none, Everton. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Powell, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.

May 3, 1949. The Evening Express
Radar’s Log their original plain for a close season trip to South America having fallen through. Everton have decided to re-visit Ireland for a 17-day tour and final arrangements are being fixed up. Everton secretary Mr. Kelly has flown over to England Isle this week to see to the necessary administrative details and organize fixtures and he expects to be back in Liverpool on Thursday with everything signed and sealed. The Everton players, after their strenuous league campaign will enjoy the break.
The Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final between Everton and New Brighton at Goodison Park originally arranged for a week on Wednesday –May 11 –has now been brought forward to next Monday evening. A

May 3, 1949. The Evening Express
Feast For Mid-week Fans
Radar’s Logs
The visit of Wolverhampton Wanderers with the F.A. Cup –for the rearguard game against Everton at Goodison Park. With the Wolves, who would have been here on Saturday had it not been for their more pressing engagement at Wembley, engaged in a glut of fixtures which includes five games in seven days. Everton should improve their league position. In their 13 home games since October 30 Everton have dropped only five points and with Wolves having such a strenuous end of the season card they beat Preston 2-1 last night, I feel that the Toffees can win through. A reproduction of their form against Manchester United last Wednesday evening would ensure success. Everton will field the same team as that which defeated Manchester Utd, last Wednesday. The only doubt concerned Fielding, and after a try-out this morning he reported fit. Team; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Powell, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.

May 4, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton X1 3, Liverpool Police 2
An Everton X1 defeated Liverpool Police by 3-2 in the charity match for the “Spencer Cup” at Marine F.C, ground Crosby last night in a game that was interesting throughout. The police had quite a large share of the play especially in the second half during which Campbell scored twice for them. Everton were on top earlier when Snelgrove (2) and Higgins gave them a 3-0 interval lead. The game was referred by Mr. W. H. Evans, Liverpool and W.R. Dean and Nel Tarleton were the linesmen.

May 4, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Everton today announced their list of retained players for next season. Two names are missing –Alex Stevenson and Gordon Watson. Mr. Britton the manager says the future of these two faithful servants is being considered by the club. Half a dozen players have been placed on the open-to-transfer list. Two have already approached the club for release. They are George Burnett, goalkeeper and Mcllhatton wing forward. The others are; Pinchbeck, who came from Scunthorpe last year, Cameron signed from the Irish club Shelborne last season; Juluissen who was transferred from Portsmouth early this season, and McCormick from Derby County this season. A free transfer has been granted to Wally Boyes, who has been with the club since 1938; Dunroe, Griffiths, Ireland, Jackson, one of the oldest servants on the books – he has been at Goodison Park since 1932 – and Taylor. The retained list is; Bentham, Clinton, Dugdale, Eglington, Farrell, Fielding, Grant, Hedley, Higgins, Jones (T.G.), Jones (J.A.), Jones (T.E.), Lello, Lewis, Lindley, McIntosh, Moore, Rankin, Sagar, Saunders, Tansey, Wainwright, Hickson, Street, Catterick, Doyle, Greenhalgh, Humphreys, Parker, Powell, Corr and Falder.
It will be noted that Jack Humphreys’s name has been taken off the open-to-transfer list, after he had asked, a few months ago to be placed on the transfer list.

May 5, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 1, Wolverhampton Wanderers 0
By Leslie Edwards
Wolverhampton Wanderers brought to Goodison Park the F.A. Cup they won on Saturday and a team so changed the programme was correct only in three places. Keeping such Wolves from the door was not difficult for an Everton who provided the two outstanding players of a match ruined to a great extent by the bumpy nature of the hard turf, turf which had absorbed nearly all the water which had been used to soften it. The notable pair were none other than Lello and McIntosh whose names do not usually resound through the football world as bright, particular stars. It took Everton time to appreciate Lello’s worth. Whoever made him a half-back instead of a forward should be credited with a great acumen; Lello not only controlled the ball on the floor with a surer touch than others, he headed it with the accuracy of a man picking the ball up in both hands and running about the field to place it perfectly for others of the Everton side. Control of the ball on the ground and in the air were sufficient asserts. Last night, but Lello demonstrated the further one of vigorousness without unfairness.
Then and Now
McIntosh was brought as a spot buy to keep Everton from Division 2. Now I am not sure Manager Cliff Britton will not want to see him at centre forward a little longer. His first half positioning, his timing of the ball in flicked passes and his tactical ability proved we have under-estimated him. He “made” the Eglington headed goal (18 minutes) which, but for Williams unaccountable error, must have been an easy pick up. Wolves looked as though they wanted to show us their final form, but the necessary units were not there, and they were a patchy eleven as distinct from what we are pleased to call the Wolves. Hancocks, at outside left, hit the ball across the goal crispy on several occasions, but when he tried to beat the earnest Saunders at close quarters it was Saunders who, more often than not, came away with the ball. Maybe Wilshaw is the specially good centre forward he is supposed to be. Tom Jones has a habit of making good opponents look most ordinary, as he did in this case.
Asking Too Much
It would have been foolish to expect Wolves to be anything but ordinary, in view of the number of matches they have this week. It would be asking too much to expect Wright to be a genius twice weekly, as it were, with grounds hard and energy flagging. For this reason we must not rate Everton’s latest victory too highly through they played with a refreshing abandon until they reached the shooting stage when only McIntosh seemed willing to make the full-blooded shot for which the crowd yearned. The match will e recalled for the complete inability of three officials to see Kelly’s handling of the ball in the penalty area, and for the fact that at the interval the Cup was paraded with a solitary policeman as its guard of honour. Now if that Cup had been paraded at Anfield…Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders
And Dugdale, backs; Jones, Farrell (captain) and Lello half-backs; Powell, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers;- Williams, goal; Kelly and Pritchard, backs; Russell, Shorthouse and Wright, half-backs; Smith, Crook, Wilshaw, Smyth and Hancock, forwards.

May 5, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
The greatly changed Wolverhampton side were fortunate to set off with an narrow defeat against Everton at Goodison Park, last night, for had the home side forwards taken all their changes not even so capable a goalkeeper as Williams could have saved them. Furthermore the cup-holders were fortunate not to have had a penalty against them for a palpable case of hands against Kelly, which everyone but the referee and linesman must have seen. Considering there was nothing at the end of the match excepting the bonus, the first goal was an excellent exhibition of top-class football. Both sides indulged in the finer points of the game, and Everton were just as colourful as the Wolves beautiful movements came from both sides, but on scoring chances Everton should have held a nice lead at the interval. On top of the fact that the Wolves had four games to play in a week they have been hit rather severely with injuries but for all that they were a capable lot in midfield, and were well handled by the Everton defence, o that Sagar had an easy match. It was a most entertaining first half, but Williams was at fault when Eglington scored with a header from McIntosh’s head at 18 minutes. McIntosh was in excellent form in the Everton attack, whose approach work was well high perfect, but near goal they were not so good. The Wolves could make nothing out of Saunders, Dugdale, Jones, Farrell and Lello. The last named has come to stay. He was a revelation, his heading being a feature and with plenty of passes the forwards had their chances, but they were not taken. The Wolves were just as subtle in framing attacks but they were not given the chances that came to Everton. The second half was not nearly so good. The Wolves aided and abetted by Billy Wright were given every opportunity but found the Everton defensive barrier too much for them. They had their moments in the first ten minutes of the half, but the rhythm went out of the Everton forward line. Smyth produced some marvelous touches and Hancocks on the left wing was full of tricks but Wilshaw is no Pye. He never got out of the grip of Tommy Jones. Wright must have been annoyed to see many of his copybook passes frittered away. What a grand player he is.

May 5, 1949. The Evening Express
Radar’s Log
More than 40,000 spectators saw the F.A. Cup at Goodison Park last night, but only one. Minus Pye, Dunn, Mullen and Springthorpe, and with almost every other position re-arranged, this Wolves side, obviously feeling the strain of playing three matches in five days, gave a brilliant display of football craft –too much on occasions –but at no time did they ever look like stopping Everton from winning (writes J.A.R). Everton were not one whit behind them in a football exhibition, which in many respects compensated for lack of thrills and the measure of their victory was not fully emphasized by the goal scored by Eglington after 20 minutes. With any luck at all it could have been four. Once Kelly kicked off the line with Williams beaten, Wainwright saw a headed shot pass just wide of the untenanted goal, and there was a handling offence in the Wolves penalty area which the referee did not see. With Tommy Jones a dominant figure in the middle the Everton defence was always on top- in fact, Sagar only had two difficult shots to get rid of, while of the forwards, I though Powell had one of his best games for weeks. It was McIntosh though who once again proved himself to be one of the best “buys” Everton have ever made. He led the line with dash and shot with power.

May 6, 1948. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Everton now in the clear, pay a visit to Burden Park to meet a team which, like themselves just escaped the “drop” The Wanderers have suffered because of forward failings but at home they can produce a fighting front to any opposition. But with both teams safe and sound it is possible that the spectators will see a nice display of football, for a troubled mind it not the best inducement for good football. They can go into the game with no worries and if Everton can round off their approach work with some solid shooting they may score their second away win of the season. Bolton; Elvy; Roberts, Banks; R Howe, Barras, Murphy, Woodward, Moir, Lofthouse, Hernon, McShame.
Everton at Ireland
Everton leave on Saturday night for a fortnight’s foot of Ireland, during which they will play matches against Dundalk, Glentoran, Cork, Sligo, and Shamrock Rovers.

May 7, 1949. The Evening Express
Forceful Bolton Forwards Winning Goal in 20th Minute
By Radar
Inability to take chances which they had so diligently created for themselves prevented Everton taking a firm grip of their game against Bolton Wanderers at Burden Park today. Everton found themselves a goal in 20 minutes, Moir heading wide of Sagar from a Woodward free kick. From then onwards the Everton forward patten weaved delightfully and were in command of everything except goals for the remainder of the first half. Both in attack and defence Cyril Lello proved once again what a great “discovery” he is, while Jones gave the enterprising Lofthouse few chances. Eglington had a splendid innings and was the most effective forward, for though McIntosh was clever in leadership he did not finish strongly, and Stevenson found the pace too hectic. An Everton party of 16 players leaves Liverpool tonight for a 17 day tonic of Ireland. Tommy Jones is not making the trip, because he is due to leave with the Welsh F.A. Touring team next week. Bolton;Elvy, goal; Roberts and Banks, backs; Howe, Barrass, and Murphy, half-backs; Woodward, Moir, Lofthouse, Heron, and McShame, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell (captain), Jones, and Lello, half-backs; Powell, Wainwright, McIntosh, Stevenson, and Eglington, forwards. A sharp Bolton raid straight from the kick-off might well have brought a first minute opening goal, but Jones was right on the spot to kick clear a low centre from McShame. Sagar did well to recover after losing possession of the lively ball immediately afterwards, and was then relieved to see Hernon drive narrowly over the top, following a mistake by Powell. Here was even greater danger in the next Bolton excursion, for Lofthouse rounded Jones cleverly to work himself a glorious opening. He was slightly off balance as he shot, however, and the ball slewed two yards wide of the near upright. The Bolton forwards were lively and Everton were kept penned on the defensive.
Drove Wide
Twice, Dugdale was applauded for splendid recoveries when he seemed to be well beaten. Yet another swiftly executed Bolton raid saw Lofthouse hit Woodward’s low cross on the volley, but once again Sagar was perfectly positioned to save low down. The Everton forwards came out of their shell, with Wainwright carving out a choice prospect for his right winger but Powell, after steadying himself, drove yards wide of the target. Powell was again at fault in his efforts to make tangible used of a delightful through pass from Lello for he touched the ball too far forward and the only result was a goal kick. Bolton came again, and it was fortunate that Tommy Jones was there to block a full-blooded Lofthouse shot, taken on the turn. Hernon was scheming effectively on his return to the Bolton attack and he turned the ball neatly inside for half-back Murphy to try one from long range. Although the ball bounced awkwardly on the east-iron surface, Sagar was not seriously troubled. So far the Everton failing had been inaccuracy in passing, and several promising attacking movement had broken down for this reason. Within 20 minutes Bolton went away to take the lead. Lello was penalized for a foul high up on the right and Moir gave Sagar no chance with the first-time header into the roof of the net from Woodward’s kick. Everton’s speedy retaliation saw McIntosh worry the Bolton defence with an overhead kick into the goalmouth, but Elvy raced out of goal to punch off Wainwright’s head. There could be no denying that Bolton were the more penetrative force forward, and Sagar and Co, were given plenty of work to do.
Failed by Inches
A free kick to Everton on the extreme placed by Jones and McIntosh only failed to connect by inches. McIntosh should have done better shortly afterwards, when Eglington hooked the ball inside, to offer him a great chance of equalizing. McIntosh however, only half kicked the ball and the chance went a begging. Another prefect through pass by Lello almost caught the Bolton defence napping, for their offside trap came unstuck. McIntosh took possession, but Barrass just managed to divert his shot for a corner. Jones just failed to make contact with Powell’s corner, but the ball rolled out to Eglington, who hit a terrific left-footer on the instant. Only a magnificent full length dive by Elvy saved the day for Bolton. Everton were doing better now and Elvy was forced to save near the foot of the post a short range centre from Wainwright. Everton came again through a delighted four point movement which ended with Stevenson’s lobbed shot from well out flashing high over the top. Everton had settled down to a display of fluent football now. Eglington was rather unceremoniously grassed as he was striding through and Jones ferocious free kick brought a roar from the crowd as Elvy went full length to parry it. The shot was so powerful that it knocked Elvy off balance. Only cruel luck prevented Everton from drawing level just on the interval, when McIntosh out headed Barrass, to drop the ball into the centre of the goalmouth. Eglington came racing in and his first time header, which completely beat Elvy, flashed inches the wrong side of the post.
Half-time; Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton 0.
Everton swung into action straight away on resuming and Elvy had to leave goal hurriedly to prevent Stevenson seizing on a lobbed pass from Farrell. When Bolton’s turn away, Jones only just managed to dispossess Lofthouse before he could let fly after a Lello miskick. Lello was giving another great exhibition of attacking football and he fought his way through, turned the ball out to Powell, who slipped it forward, but once again McIntosh was slow to make his shot and the ball was diverted behind for a corner from this, Elvy had to save a Jones header on the goal line, with McIntosh in close attendance. It was Bolton, however, who should have scored again in their next raid for McShame’s pace carried him within three yard of Sagar. Then inexplicably he lobbed the ball across the face of the goal. This was indeed a near thing for Everton. Another attacking three-point movement by Everton forwards failed because Stevenson’s shot was charged down. Undoubtedly there was a good deal to admire about the Everton mode of approach, but they seemed strangely unwilling to try a shot. There was a long stoppage when a foul was awarded against Tommy Jones. Bolton had livened up once again, and it was fortunate that Sagar had anticipated the danger when McShame “found” Hernon with a chest-high centre. Henron headed in strongly, but found Sagar right there to handle confidently. Another close call for Everton came when Sagar went up to deal with a high cross from Moir. Lofthouse harassed Sagar so effectively that he missed the ball, but fortunately it dropped outside. It was only in spasmodic raids that this stage, and the defenders was hard pressed. Hernon missed a glorious chance from a square Lofthouse pass, for with only Sagar to beat he scooped the ball into the goalkeeper’s hands from only two yards. Everton were now a lifeless lot and it was completely one-way traffic in Bolton’s favour. Final; Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton nil.

May 7, 1949. The Evening Express
Blackpool, who faced a glaring sun, were soon in the picture, and a grand centre by Wardle led to Brunt heading in for Burnett to clear easily. Everton at this period seldom came into the picture except by a fine manoeurve by Mcllhatton who put across a nice centre which was cleared by Wright. In the 16th minute the Blues took the lead. Pinchbeck, after beating two opponents put in a low oblique drive that had Mangan well beaten. Blackpool, nevertheless still dominated he play and nearly equalized when brunt headed in from short range for Burnett to bring off a good save, in the 35th minute Everton, who were now settled down, increased their lead, Bentham heading in from a perfectly placed centre by Mcllhatton. Half-time; Everton Res 2, Blackpool Res 0. After the restart Everton took up the attack, Mcllhatton and Pinchbeck combining well. As compared with the opening half the visitors were now below the standard of their opponents, but made several breakaways which proved futile, Mcllhatton neatly increased the Everton lead when he put in a powerful drive which the Blackpool keeper saved.
• Everton “A” 1, South Liverpool Res 1.

May 7, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Jones Saved Everton From Heavier Defeat
Both Defences were Sound
Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton 0.
What little there was between the teams the Wanderers had it. They did most of the attacking. Their eager forwards fested Everton’s defence severely but found only one flaw in it. Jones saved his side from a heavier defeat. Stevenson for Fielding at inside left, was Everton’s only change at Bolton, where in brilliant sunshine, 20,000 spectators assembled. Bolton; Elvy, goal; Roberts and Banks, backs; Howe, Barrass, and Murphy, half-backs; Woodward, Moir, Lofthouse, Heron, and McShame, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell (captain), Jones, and Lello, half-backs; Powell, Wainwright, McIntosh, Stevenson, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.H. Parker, Macclesfield. The Wanderers at once assumed the offensive and an early thrill saw Sagar leave his goal to deal with a dropping centre from Lofthouse which escaped his grasp for Moir to glide the ball back to Lofthouse whose centre this time was safely held by Sagar. But the Wanderers could not be shaken off and Lofthouse dragging the ball past Saunders and then Jones ran on to an open goal, but sent the ball wide with his left foot.
Powell’s Shot Wide
Though Everton’s half backs worked cleverly to get their forwards going, there was little response until Stevenson began a raid with a neat forward pass to McIntosh who in turn gave to Powell who had plenty of time to steady himself for a shot which sent the ball flying yards wide. Hernon a bag of tricks, more than once sent the Blues half backs running the wrong way but he gained little ground. A fast cross drive by Eglington landed in Elvy’s safe arms, and Powell improving on a nice pass from McIntosh had a choice centre which Murphy got away without difficulty. The Wanderers schemed cleverly for an opening twice spoiled all their good work by badly-directed passes, though Sagar ran out along the goal line to catch shots that were dead on the mark. If anything Everton were quicker on the ball, which was very lively on the bone hard turf, and when Stevenson made a twenty yard run Barras gave a corner to prevent the Irishman shooting.
Moir Scores
But in 20 minutes the Wanderers got a free-kicker well on the right and Woodward driving it hard into goal, Moir headed it at such a pace into the roof of the net that the ball rebounded into play. But it was an unmistakable and deserved goal, it was Moir’s 25th goal of the season. So far Everton forwards had found a sustained attack beyond them, but a well-judged pass by Lello sent Eglington away at such a pace that he was able to draw Barrass and cross to an unmarked McIntosh , who however, was unable to control the ball quick enough to do damage. Everton’s defence, in which Jones showed rare judgment and cool tackling had to withstand further pressure. The Wanderers forwards continued to show clever tactics without much finishing.
Nearly an Equalizer
Everton came very near to an equalizing goal when Eglington fastening on a partial clearance made a fence cross drive which Elvy just reached, whilst out of his goal, and Wainwright found a free passage on the right and centred dangerously but a packed defence survived. Jones with a 30 yard free kick forced Elvy to a full length save, and Barrass just succeeded in hooking the ball away as Stevenson was framing for a shot. Eglington headed wide of an open goal from Powell’s centre. Everton had been well on top during the last ten minutes.
Half-time; Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton nil.
Everton now had to face the wind, but at once Elvy had to dash out to beat Stevenson for possession by inches. Sagar twice had to handle harmless shots and when Powell sent McIntosh away with a beautifully judged pass Banks diverted the centre’s shot for a corner.
Free Kick
The Wanderers passes frequently went away and there was a roar when the referee gave a free kick against Lofthouse in a heading duel with Jones with the linesman flagging for a free kick the other way. Everton’s superior team-work enabled them to attack steadily but the compact Bolton defence survived. One of the best Bolton movements saw McShame drop a menacing long ball into Sagar’s grasp and Lofthouse drove a hard shot a foot on the wrong side of the upright. Powell was twice away on his own and once he dribbled into the penalty area to force a corner at the expense of an injury. He soon recovered, however, and Sagar’ judgment in advancing made an easy save after Woodward had dribbled to the line and centred.
Player’s Protest
Then Lofthouse and Jones collided and a free kick was given against Everton’s centre half, who protested and the referee warned him and took his name. The game lost some of its rhythm with exchanges becoming heated but the Wanderers contrived to keep play for the most part in Everton’s half. Moir dropped a high centre into goal, but both Sagar and Lofthouse failed to connect with it and the ball ran out of play. Elvy twice had little difficulty in clearing by running out and most of the danger was directed at Sagar’s goal but the Wanderers, despite desperate pressure could find no weakness in the rearguard. Sagar jumped into a crowd of players to fist away a dangerous corner kick.
Chances Missed
Three more corners followed to the Wanderers who should have gone further ahead when Lofthouse raced through on the right and centred to Heron whose hurriedly taken shot went right to Sagar. Directly afterwards Woodward missed the simplest of scoring chances when only six yards out. Final; Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton 0. Official Attendance 20,567.

May 9, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Bolton Wanderers 1, Everton 0
Everton could have so complaint after their defeat at Bolton. They were fortunate to escape so lightly. Bolton’s forwards frittered away several comparatively easy scoring chances. If anything Everton played the more cultured football, and their passing was more accurate but Bolton out-matched them in zest and determination, and a goal from a free kick on the right wing enabled Bolton to record their third league victory since Christmas. Woodward, lofted the free kick high into the centre, and Moir headed his 25th goal of the season the ball going in at a such a speed that it hit the netting and came out again. Indeed the majority of the 23,000 spectators did not realize that a goal had been scored until they saw the Bolton players rush to congratulated Moir, the cleverest forward afield. He was always scheming openings and twice came within an ace of scoring again.
Hernon Recalled
The reintroduction of Hernon, the £15,000 inside forward obtained from Leicester City in September, had a refreshing influence on the Bolton attack, but here like Lofthouse and Woodward misdirected shots. Everton had one good spell during the last 10 minutes of the first half when they used the ball so effectively and found the open spaces so readily that an equalizing goal seemed to be on the way. Everton were dreadfully shot-shy more than one player preferring to pass rather than to try his luck. The best Everton effort came from long range, Eglington with a grand cross drive and Jones with a hard driven free kick forcing Elvy to splendid saves. It was surprising after the cool calculating manner in which he checked many attacks on his goal that Jones dissented from the referee’s decision so heatedly that he was reprimanded and had his name “Booked” Dugdale did particularly well at left back.

May 9, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Everton might have avoided defeat at Bolton perhaps even won, but not because their play merited it, but because the Wanderers over-whelming the more effective team, could convert merely one of the many chances created by their clever football. Indifferently as their preformed at the fall of the season’s curtain, the Blues should not have allowed Mori’s magnificent header in the 20th minute to beat them. They had two good scoring openings both to Mcllhatton in the first half, one a present from Eglington and the other from a pass up the middle. He failed to turn them to account. For the real Everton’s serious attempts at goals were confined to a great volley by Eglington and a well-hit free kick by Jones, in the first half and an attempt by Stevenson to make a spectacular connection with Powell’s square centre after the interval. Perhaps the absence of any typical issue accounted for the exhibition character of the play throughout. Neither side stood the need of a desperate rescue act and none was forth-coming, particularly from the losers, whose casual air did scant justice to the known accomplishment of players like Jones. Dugdale, Farrell, Wainwright and Eglington. The two first named stood out, through Jones found the energetic Lofthouse trying and finally got cross with the referee over a trifling incident in which he was involved with the Bolton centre forward.

May 9, 1949. The Evening Express
Radar’s Log
Everton’s Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final clash with New Brighton tonight, and the second leg of the Lancashire Schools Cup final between Liverpool and Manchester schoolboys tomorrow night –both at Goodison Park –provide first-class extra attractions in the rounding oft off the 1948-49 campaign. Everton include nine players with first team experience in their team for tonight’s id to go forward to meet Tranmere Rovers in the final on Thursday. New Brighton field their full Northern Section team and I expect them to give the Toffees a good run for their money. The kick-off incidentally is at 6.45 p.m.
Manager Cliff Britton is already looking towards his needs for next season and he took time off on Saturday afternoon, prior to joining the remainder of the Everton party which left for a 17 day tour of Ireland, to watch the Southport-Wrexham game at Haig Avenue. Among the players he had under review were Jimmy Meadows, the 17-year-old Southport right winger, who had a splendid game and scored one of the Sandgrounders three victory goals. Everton’s Irish itinerary includes games against Glentoran (May 12), Cork Athletic (May 15) and Billy Dean’s old club Sligo Rovers on May 18. The party will watch the Eire v.Portugal international on May 22 and return to Liverpool two days later. The players making the tour are; Sagar; Jones (goalkeepers); Saunders, Dugdale, Farrell, Humphreys, Lello; Powell, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington, Gwyn Lewis, Clinton, and Grant.
Lello’s Progress
The season ended disappointly for the senior local clubs with both Liverpool and Everton on the losing end, but fortunately these defeats had no serious consequences. The old Everton failing of goal front weakness proved their undoing at Burnden Park and in the end they were beaten more convincingly than the score suggest. Everton fought back strongly after Moir’s goal in the 20th minute and could have had this game in safe keeping of the interval. But Jim McIntosh did not find the lively hail running to his liking and both he and Powell missed chances. The best efforts came from Eglington and Jones and both were brilliantly passed by Elvy. Only stubborn defence by Jones and his full backs and amazing misses by Woodward and Hernon restricted the margin of defeat. Brightest point from an Liverton viewpoint was the continual effectiveness of Cyril Lello who is using every ball to effect along the floor and must be rated one of the wing-half-backs “finds” of the season. Good news for Everton is the fact that young full back Hedley is well on the way to making a complete recover from the broken leg which he sustained at Birmingham earlier this year. Hedley was at Goodison Park the other day and the plaster cast has not been removed from the damaged leg.

May 10, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
New Brighton In Senior Cup Final
Everton 0, New Brighton 1
This season’s Liverpool Senior Cup final will be an all Cheshire affair for last night at Goodison Park a solitary goal by Eaves in the first portion of extra time earned New Brighton the right by meet Tranmere Rovers in the ultimate stage on Thursday. Justice was undoubtedly doing in the semi-final success over Everton, especially in view of the all-out efforts put in by the side during the second half. But judged purely in the light of actual football skill this was not a particularly outstanding game. There were thrills enough for the bulk of the crowd of 7,000 most of which took place in the Everton goalmouth, where Burnett frequently distinguished himself. There was however, little evidence of really constructive football and the game would have been enriched had the ball been kept less in the air and more on the ground. So far as Everton was concerned there was a singular lack of shooting accuracy and what few worthwhile shots troubled a confident Grimley only came near the end of the ninety minutes period.
McClure –Keyman
On the other hand, nearly all five New Brighton forwards were willing to have a go “and more, more so than the enterprising Eaves. But McClure was obviously the key-man in the virile New Brighton attack and it was from his free kick that Eaves recorded the all-important goal. The New Brighton halve of whom McTaff was a conspicuous member did not find their task of holding a disjointed Everton attack particularly difficult. On an individual has McCormick and Pinchbeck did well enough for Everton and elsewhere the displays of Doyle (Everton) and Roberts and Carter (New Brighton) caught the eye. There were several near misses for New Brighton and one glorious effort by Eaves which struck the crossbar early in the second half deserved better fate.

May 10, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Much to the delight of several thousand Rakers supporters New Brighton won through to the Liverpool Senior Cup final at Goodison Park last night. Their 1-0 win over Everton was every bit deserved even through it took extra time to enable Eaves via McCormick’s free kick, to notch the all-important goal. Everton showed patches of individual cleverness – generally from Mcllhatton and McCormick but had hardly one worth-while shot in their locker and nearly all the goalmouth thrills were provided by a virile ad enthusiastic Rakers attack. McClure and Eaves did particularly well and the only real fault with this capable New Brighton side, who meet Tranmere in the final on Thursday, was that of being over-eager. Otherwise Burnett’s sound goalkeeping accepted; they would have won more readily.

May 12, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
During their Irish tour Everton have signed J.O’Neill a 17-year-old Eire goalkeeper who had trials with one of the Goodison junior sides towards the end of the season. Everton play Glentoran this evening.

May 13, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Glentoran 1, Everton 1
Everton gave a very disappointing display when they continued their Irish with a match against Glentoran the defeated Irish cup finalists, at Grosvenor Park, Belfast, last evening. They were often struggling in the first half and were indeed fortunate to have a goal lead at the interval. Everton were without Jones and Fielding and the team was rarely together as a combination. The attack could never master the Glentoran half backs and only Wainwright of the forwards played football of Division 1 quality, though Powell, a inside left on occasions was neat and clever. Outstanding was Farrell. He was good in defence and had great skill in drawing his man and in placing a colleague in possession. Humphreys did a lot of stopping but the defence generally was not particularly impressive, though Sagar was very safe. Eglington early in the game missed an open goal but at the 16th minute McIntosh taking advantage of a slackness in the home defence opened the score. It was a changed Everton after the interval. They got on top and remained there for a long time, but the Irish team staged a fighting finish and Ewing scored the equalizer just before the end.

Glentoran and Everton draw 1-1
Northern Whig - Friday 13 May 1949
The lowly position which Everton have occupied in the English League First Division this season is fully understandable judging by their display against Glentoran at Grosvenor Park last night, when the score was 1-1. Only Sagar, Peter Farrell (in great form), Humphries, Lello and Wainwnght, looked top class. After four year, with Glentoran as an inside-left, practically all the time with second string, Frank Mulholland has been “discovered" as about the best half-back on the club's books. On Mulholland's form last night Danny Blanchflower will not be missed. He gave a fine exhibition and it was his inspiring football that produced the Glentoran equalizer a minute from the end. He beat two men, pushed the ball to Harris, took the return pass and whipped it back to the centre-forward. Harris sent it on Dodds who promptly squared to M'Laughlin. Bark it went to Dodds, who “laid it on" for Ewing to beat Sagar from close range. Everton were hardly worth their one-goal lead at half-time, scored by M’lntosh, but did a lot better in the second period. King and Moore were other Glentoran stalwarts. Everton—Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Humphries, Lello; Grant, Wainwright, McIntosh, Powell, Eglington. Glentoran Moore; Neill, King; Gray (Blackburn Rovers), Hughes, Mulholland: Dodds (Distillery), M’Farlane, Harris (Distillery), Ewing (Distillery), M'Laughlin (Distillery).

May 14, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Twenty Glorious Years
By Ted Sagar
As Told To Allan Robinson
Ted Sagar, Everton’s long-serving international goalkeeper –he is in his 21st year with the club 0begins today the romantic story of his football life, and tells of his early hopes and disappointments and of his first big transfer from one pit team to another which put him on the route to Goodison Park and twenty years of football glory.
My age? –it’s no secret I was born in February 1910, which makes me 39. Most top-class footballers hand up their boots before reaching that age but I feel as fit as I did when I first started playing big-time football, and I intend to continue just as long as I can be of service to the best club in the country my first and only love –Everton F.C. maybe my fitness is not unassociated with my early work as a miner in collieries in the Doncaster district. We learned to live and play the hard way. Coal-mining is a tough occupation but it keeps you fit and hardens you up. Many of our professional footballers have come via the coal-mines, and in the hurly-purly of modern football have been thankful for the added powers of resistance to knocks acquired in the pits. I was born in the mining village of Brodsworth, near Doncaster, the eldest of a family of five. We were a humble but happy family, my father being a miner. He was killed during the First World War, when I was only six years old of age and, left without a “breadwinner” it was something of a struggle for my mother bring up a family of five young children, myself my brother and three sisters. But Yorkshire women are made of the right stuff, and we will always be grateful to my mother, fir the uncomplaining way she faced up to adversity.
I went to Highfields School, Brodsworth and like most Yorkshire kids was football mad. We were certainly not lacking in inspiration, as such well-known professionals as Beresford, of Aston Villa, Fred Gregory, Doncaster and Manchester City; Sammy Cowan, Manchester City, and Ernie Hart, Leeds United all hailed from our district. But even though they were our heroes I never once though I would follow in their footsteps in making football a profession. In fact, my start in schoolboy football was a very inauspicious one. At the age of eleven, I fancied myself as a budding Dimmock or Quantrill, and was selected for the school team at outside left in a cup-tie. Apparently I did not impress as I was told in mo uncertain language that I would never again be picked for the school in that position. Football was in my blood, and the only alternative was to try another position. Whether it was by accident or inspiration I cannot say but I tried my hand in goal. And a goalkeeper I have been ever since.
Found Position
I must have shown some latent talents in that direction, as at twelve years of age, I was chosen to take part in a Yorkshire trial game which included boys up to 14 years of age. In the opposite goal, I remember, was Calvert, who was later to become a Leicester City star. Although that was the nearest I got to country recognition, I myself was at least satisfied with my display. I felt I had found my true position, and decided to persevere. And persevere I did, I was to be found anywhere there was a ball around. More often than not coats or caps served as our goalposts. At other times we aspired o the luxury of goals –posts chalked out on a side wall. Thus were the mechanics of the game acquired. These cinder pitches were tough training grounds. Many’s the time I limped home with cut knee. One’s sense of anticipation was certainly sharpened as the ball shot up or away at a tangent off a stray brick or clinker, and looking back I often wonder how much I owe to-day to that early training on Broadsworth’s makeshift clinder pitches. Even the billiard-table surfaces of the present-day First Division grounds are not without their pitfalls. The goalkeeper, like a player in any other position, has never finished learning. My advice to those coming up is “Never think you know it all. No matter how good you are you’ve always got something to learn. Football is the greatest leveller of all The hero of one game can be the failure of the next.” But to continue my story. I left school when I was 13 1/2 . My old headmaster, Mr. Meller, was confident that if I stayed on until I was 14 I would be picked for the English Schoolboys’ X1. He tried to pursued me to stay on the extra six months, and although my mother, despite the struggle she was having was willing, I felt it my duty, even at that immature ago, to take on the role of “bread-winner” and go down the pit. And so I became a cola-miner. For the next three years I earned 5s a day coupling tubs and driving ponies at Brodsworth Colliery. Thirty to thirty-five shillings a week was no fortune, but it certainly helped at home. I kept on with my football after finishing shifts. We still played on pitches denuded of all signs of vegetation, against a mounting background of slag-heaps. I suppose in the vivid imagination of youth, those slag-heaps took on the form of double-decker stands housing thousands of roaring football fans, but more often than not such mental frothing were rudely dissipated by a hefty, if indecorous, shoulder charge from an opponent. Many of our games, of course were run on organized lines, and the players aspired to a full football kit, but if on the way home from the colliery there was a ball to be kicked, the urge usually proved too strong, and many a substantial Yorkshire supper became a burnt offering on football’s alter. Incidentally, Ted has his own views on some of the “cotton-wools” footballers of today. He recalls that the colliers’s would play two or three matches a day and then take their shift in the mines. Ted refused to be drawn on the outcry against the recent end-of-the-season glut of fixtures as the result of which a First Division team had to play three games in a week. His only comments was; “We used to play three a day.” One can draw ones own inference. Let Ted continue. Even though my wage of five shillings a day at Brodsworth Colliery was a godsend to my mother I though I could be earning more. My goalkeeping helped me to get it. Thorne Colliery were on the lookout for a goalkeeper, and approached me. I told them the poor wages I was on at Brodsworth. As I was only 16 it was not possible to earn more in the mines.
The Big “Transfer”
The Thorpe “Scouts” told me to say that I was 19 and they would arrange for me to get £1 a day at Thorne Colliery. And thus was my first “big” transfer effected –at 15s a day extra.
In the present day of crazy transfer fees, £15,000 is usually the starting point of an inter club parley for a reserve player. I played for Thorne Colliery in the Doncaster Senior League, and in my first season we had the good fortune to win the Doncaster Senior Cup. I received a medal with the rest of the team and was very proud of it, as it was the first football token I had ever won. Little did I know than that in later years I would gain an English Cup winner’s medal; and English international caps to go with it.
Next Week Sagar will tell how Billy McCracken, than Manager of Hull City, mislaid his address after a trial and allowed Everton to make one of their biggest captures of all times at a mere signing-on fee.

May 16, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Cork Athletic 2, Everton 6
Everton had an easy victory against Cork Athletic side at Cork yesterday through there was no doubt they could easily have improved upon their margin. They were obviously on top after 20 minutes, and from then onwards they contented themselves with giving exhibition football. Cork were plucky and earnest to make a game of it but were outclassed in all departments. Everton fielded their full team with the exception of Peter Farrell. Cork opened the scoring after 5 minutes (O’Leary); Wainwright missed a penalty but within 2 minutes equalized. Fielding added a second and Wainwright scored Everton’s third and fourth goals before O’Connell reduced the arrears. Everton took things easy in the second half. They scored through McIntosh who registered their fifth and Wainwright the outstanding player of the match got the last near the end.

May 18, 1949. Evening Express
Radar’s Log
Everton have made a good capture by the signature on amateur forms of Stoker Meehan ician K. Mitton, a goalkeeper aged 20, in Plymouth Command. Mitten’s brilliant displays for the Royal Naval Barracks, Devonport Royal Navy and Devon County, attracted the attention of Arsenal, Sunderland, Huddersfield, Preston, Plymouth Argyle, and Exeter City. When demobbed in six weeks time Mitton intends to join Everton as a professional. Mitton belongs to Preston. After his display for the Reserves against Derby County in the Central League Mitton had an offer from Manager Cliff Britton to tour Ireland with Everton. He could not get leave. Mitton is five feet ten inches.

May 19, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Sligo Rovers 1, Everton 3
A crowd of over 6,000 gave Everton an enthusiastic reception at the Show Ground when they met Sligo Rovers last night. By a brilliant display Everton, who played their full team, gave the spectators the impression that high-class football was decidedly simple. Dugdale was a sound defender, Farrell and Lello were the pick of the halves, and Wainwright, Lewis and McIntosh always threatened danger. For Sligo Rovers, Sweeney at right half held his own with the best of the guest players, of whom Hamilton, of Barnsley, was the pick. Kelly, of Derry City, was outstanding and Dodds and Harros of Distillery were the best of the others. Kiernan brought off some spectacular saves, but McDonigle, of Bobmenians, was not a success. In the fifteen minute Fielding opened the scoring, Kiernan caught his shot but the ball slipped through his hands and into the net. Farrell put Everton further ahead and Fielding scored a third with a drive from thirty- yards. Seventeen minutes from the end Kelly scored Sligo’s goal from a penalty, and two minutes later the same player hit an upright and then the crossbar.

May 23, 1949. The Evening Express
Radar’s Log
Everton are convincing that they have made an excellent capture in Donald Donovan, the 19-year old inside-left from Naymount Rovers the Cork club, and there may be more signings as the outcome of their scouting combined with touring trip in Eire. Secretary Theo Kelly made the Donovan signing in Bray and taking to the Evening Express said: Donovan as the most delighted boy in Ireland when he signed forms for us. We asked Donovan whether he would like some food and he replied “Oh, no thanks, I’M far too excited at signing for Everton.”

May 28, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Over twenty years ago Ted Sagar, who was then playing with the Thorne Colliery in the Doncaster Senior League had his trial game for Everton F.C v Manchester United in a Central League game, at Old Trafford. Everton were beaten 3-0, but the Goodison officials had seen enough to convince them, and unlike Hull City, who had not judged the way, immediately secured his signature on professional forms. Ted’s lift story exclusively for the Echo, Ted Sagar England’s international goalkeeper, still going strong after many years services; tells today of his early days with Everton and of football personalities of the early days. We were beaten 3-0, a central League game at Old Trafford, I still think it as one of the best games I have ever played. I think Mr Ernie Green and the late Mr. Tom McIntosh the secretary, were present –were apparently satisfied and I was immediately offered professional forms which I later accepted, and I become a Blue and a clubmate of the Everton football “giants” of those days, whose photographs as a youth I had collected and cherished. I was still a youngster, 19, when I signed with all a youngster’s hopes and fears –hopes that the necessary experience and goalkeeping efficiency would come with maturity and that I might have taken the wrong step, and that what might have been good enough for . No young player coming up could have a had a better bunch of colleagues. How much I owed to them in the formative period of my career can never be estimated. To let in three goals in what was for me a critical trial –Manchester United’s scorers that day were Sweeney, Rawlings and Thomson – might not be every goalkeepers idea of success, but I at least was satisfied with my display. Said the Daily Post commentary on the following Monday, Sagar kept a brilliant goal for Everton and prevented a much heavier defeat.” I remember too, that the Everton full backs on that day Kennedy and Cresswell, were kind enough to congratulate me. But that was the nature of two of the finest full backs behind whom a young keeper could have the good fortune to play.
Envy of Most
Contrasting types of players but with the common factor and feature of kindliness and gentlemanliness – Andy Kennedy, Irish whimsical stern of tackle and a kicker of inordinate length; dear old Warney Cresswell idol of the North-east, the unruffled stylist and a professor of football science. The Everton Central League side at that time was the envy of most clubs in the country. In addition to Kennedy and Cresswell there were such well-known names as Jimmy Dunn (a ready made subject for George Green’s vivid pen) Tony Weldon, Jimmy Stein, Gerry Kelly and Attwood from Walsall, understudy to the great William Ralph Dean –was there ever a more unenviable role in football? The Blues reserves side of 1929 had it been playing today, would have won both League and Cup judged on modern standards. I have often been asked how modern football compares with that of 15 and 20 years ago, and as one of the few players today whose career harks back to the early thirties, I suppose I am in a position to give a fairly authoritative opinion. I know it is the habit of previous generations to belittle the sporting standards on the present, I am “not being a slave to convention when my opinion that the standard of first class football today cannot be compared with that of the 1930’s. I am merely being honest. With a few exceptions so-called top-class football has reached rock bottom, I yield to nobody –in my admiration of such teams as Wolves and Manchester United on form, but these part, few of the modern sides would have “lived” with those of pre-war.
Back to Scratch
This probably is not the fault of the modern player or the clubs themselves. For six years from 1939 -1946 when we were playing a much bigger game for much bigger odds football was interrupted and disrupted and no game could have suffered such a cataclysmic upset without the direst effects. The continuity was lost, and the flow of up-and-coming youngsters from the nation’s football “nurseries” completely cut off. At the end of the war big-time football had to start practically from scratch –players who had been in their football prime in 1939 found six years taken out of their careers. I am confident that the game will recover much of its former glory, but it must inevitably be a slow process and at the present rate of progress I cannot see a return to pre-war standards for at least another four of five years. National service has added to the trials of football clubs, depriving them as it does of the services of promising youths who, between the age of 18 and 19 are usually being groomed for soccer stardom in the reserves of “A” sides.
Family Council
Forces football may have its points but generally it is more likely to undermine any scientific notions that a youth may have. But to continue my story. When Everton offered me professional terms after my second trial game at Old Trafford, I did not accept immediately, I was still the family “bread-winner,” and I felt it my duty to consult my mother with whom I my younger brother and three young sisters held a family council. It was a big step to take, It meant giving up my job at Thorne Colliery for a career that offered only a season-to-season contract. The family were in favour of my accepting Everton’s terms. I must confess that I would have been intensely disappointed had the decision been otherwise. Inwardly, I was terrifically excited at the prospect of being known as an Everton player, and If I had not been under any domestic obligation. I would have been ready to append my signature to a contract on the evening after the match at Old Trafford in case they changed their minds. It was suggested by the family that I might be good enough for two or three seasons with Everton after which I could probably return to the mines! Little did I know when I signed my first forms for Everton, that I would be going through the same motions 21 years later. I did not actually sign until the following Thursday when I came to Liverpool to meet the Goodison officials and ho through the formalities.
National Party
I stayed overnight and joined the rest of the Goodison playing staff and officials in their annual party to Aintree for the 1929 Grand National –run then, of course on Friday. I was introduced to the rest of the Everton players. the Grand National could never hope to match, at least as far as Ted Sagar was concerned, the thrills of that meeting with Billy Dean, first and foremost of Tranmere Rovers, vintage crop of centre-forwards which also included Tommy Waring and Billy Ridding. Dean wished me the best of luck in my career, and his wishes have certainly-materialized. I did not manage to back the winner of that “National” –Gregalach at 100-1 –but in signing for Everton F.C the previous day, I had backed a winner that paid an even greater return.
Next week Sagar will described his apprentionship in the Everton Central League side, draw on a fund of memories of Everton players of that day, and tell of the superstitions and idiosyncrasies of famous players.

May 30, 1949. The Evening Express
Everton F.C report a loss of £2,351 on last season’s working as compared with a profit of £25,780 the previous year. This is due to the substantial increases in transfer fees, players’ wages and benefits and to decreased gate receipts. The transfer fees totalized as against £3,241 while wages and benefits were increased by about £5,000 to £22,554. Gate receipts totaled £104,180 as against the previous season’s £117,414. Visiting clubs took £15,014 and tax amounted to £7,970 sublets and programmes brought in £1,065. The Everton directors have wisely used the various profits ino increasing the amenities at Goodison Park. Whereas in 1940 here was a bank overdraft of more than £30,000 the company now shows a bank credit of £4,050 which emphasizes that the directors have put everything back into the game with an especial thought for the spectators. There is a balance of £21,853 carried forward on the profit and Loss account and the directors recommend the payment of a dividend of 7 ½ per cent, for the annual meeting to be held on June 23 –the 70th annual gathering in the history of the club. The three retiring directors Dr. Cecil S. Baxter, Mr. Ernest Green and Major Jack C. Sharp are unopposed and will be re-elected for a further period of three years while Messrs T. Theodore Rodgers, Bowler and Co continue in office as auditors.

May 1949