Everton Independent Research Data



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 01 November 1902

This afternoon the Bolton Wanderers met Everton at Burnden Park. In spite of the Wanderers poor exhibition this season there was again a large attendance, about 12,000 persons being present. In the home ranks Bell and Wright displaced Williams and Pickup, and a young reserve named Marsh took Hanson's place at centre. Everton were without the services of Wolstenholmes and Booth, the latter's absence being due to breavement. teams; Bolton-Thompson, goal; Brown and Halliday, backs; Boyd, Greenhalgh, and Taylor, half-backs; Stokes, White, Marsh, Wright and L. Bell, forwards. Everton; Kitchen, goal; Baller and Crelly, backs; Taylor, Russell, and Abbott, half-backs; Sharp, Breasley, Young, Sherdian, and J.J. Bell, forwards. Referee; Mr. T.P. Campbell, Blackburn.

Right from the kick-off the visitors commenced to press, and the defence had a pretty warm time of it. The home left went away, and L. bell lifted the ball well into the goalmouth, but Balmer cleared. The visitors were not long before they were in dangerous proximity to Thompson, but a fruitless corner brought relief. Greenhalgh nicely checked the visitors and offside brough relief to the Everton goal. Thompson saved finely as Brearley ran at him. When Greenhalgh had saved his own goal from almost certain downfall, Marsh placed well in the centre, and Balmer missed his kick, but there was


to take advantage of the mistake. Heresabout the Everton goal had a couple of narrow escapes from Bell and Marsh, the custodian being very lucky in clearing both shots. Though a mistake White, Bewll was let in, and controling finely Sharp scored. The Wanderers passing was very bad, and the ball frequently went to an opponent. The visitors were having much the better of the game, though they were unable to increase their score. Just on the interval Greenhalgh was hurt and had to leave the field.

Half-time; Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 1

on resuming, Greenhalgh turned out again. After Marsh had delighted the crowd with a terrific shot which just missed the post, J. Bell raced away, and in a second attempt he sent the ball through a crowd of players into the net. Kitchen was extremely lucky to get the ball away from L. Bell. From a corner kick Bell headed well in, but the ball was returned, and Greenhalgh meeting it put the ball through the defenders into the net. The Wanderers were mostly on the atatck this half, and L. Bell, after ba brilliant run, put in front, Stokes met he ball and headed through, but the referee disallowed the point. From a long pass J. Bell raced away and easily added a third goal. Result; Bolton 1, Everton 3.



Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 03 November 1902

Down again! That is the result of the Bolton Wanderers' match against Everton, and seeing that they had two-thirds of the play and gave Kitchen twice as many shots as Thompson had—and more difficult ones, too —they may wonder when the tide is going to turn. The Everton defence was brilliant, and compared remarkably with that of Bolton, which loose; but it was legitimately pierced on the occasion, when Stokes, running in fully 30 yards whilst the ball was in the air, was given offside after scoring:; is not too much to say that Everton would not have scored their third goal but for this, for it came from a breakaway directly afterwards. However, there is no denying that the Merseysiders were the better team. They took the easy chances which the faulty half-back play the other side gave them, and defended superbly against perhaps the best attacks the Wanderers have made this season. On the Bolton side Wright was not big success, and L. Bell is too slow for anything, to say nothing of outside left: but Marsh is worth a further trial at centre, and White did not do badly. The weak spot was at right half, where Boyd was too slow for Bell, whilst Thompson was below par, and the backs guilty of getting too far up the field.


November 3, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Despite their recent defeat, Bolton Wanderers attracted a gate of 10,000 spectators to their match with Everton. The visitors played Crelly at back and Russell at centre half. Tom Booth being absent owing to the death of his mother. The teams were: - Bolton Wanderers: - Thompson goals, Brown and Halliday, backs Boyd, Greenhaigh, and Taylor, half-backs, Stokes, White, Marsh, Wright, and Bell, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer (Captain), and Crelly, backs, Taylor, Russell, and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp Brearley, Young, Sheridan and Bell forwards. Referee T.Campbell

The Wanderers kicked off in fine weather and Bob Greenhaign intercepted two passes from Brearley to the centre, whilst Crelly had no difficulty in repelling a long kick from Stokes. Everton were evidently determined to make the best of the opening stages Jack Sharp putting in a fast oblique shot which skimmed off Brown's head right across the front of the goal. Jocky Wright and Lerry Bell rushed away on the home left and though Balmer sent them back the ball came his way again, and when he repelled it and it was seized by Greenhaigh, who took a rushing kick, slipped and sent wide. A fruitless corner followed two thrown-ins on the Wanderers left to Everton. Sheridan electrified the crowd as he passed one and another of his opponents and working his way to within ten yards of Thompson, he fired in hard and true, the ball rebounding off the goalkeeper and Brown cleared. The Everton goal had a narrow escape, Taylor missing his kick from Bell's shot. Literally into goal the ball rushed, but this time Balmer was the tenth of a second too quick for the Wanderers, or a goal certainly would have resulted. Further exciting incidents occurred in the Everton goal, but only Kitchen's coolness and dexterity saved him from two splendid attacks, Stokes began a brilliant move, and centred from the goal line, and it was miraculous how Kitchen kept on Bell's high shot. Equally amazing was the way in which the succeeding corner was saved, for Marsh shot through a sea of legs, yet the Everton goalkeeper proved equal to the occasion. Now the Blues turned the attack, as with a rapid movement they travelled along the arena. Young's final shot was a low one, and a hem, but Thompson got it away in remarkable style amidst cheers. It was through a mistake on the part of Brown that Everton scored their first goal after twenty-seven minutes play. It came about this way. Abbott robbed the home right very neatly, and sent the ball ahead for anyone of the Goodison forwards to get at, but it went straight ahead to Brown, who failed to clear, but he ought to have done comfortably. Sharp however, pounced on it, getting past Thompson, with ease. Play was somewhat quiet after this, but there was a loud “Oh”when Halliday banged the ball into Young's face with great force. However, the Everton centre rushed for possession, because if he had succeeded they had an open course for goal. However, the ball rebounded to Taylor, who passed to Brown. The latter transferred to Boyd, who gave Kitchen an easy one to save from the middle of the field. Soon after Boyd sent wide, and Sheridan did likewise. After an individual run Bell sent a stinger to the home goal, and Thompson cleared against the upright. Just on half time Grennhaigh retired. Half-time Everton 1; Bolton Wanderers nil.

After a long interval, Everton restarted and instantly they found themselves on the defensive, Marsh delighting the crowd by banging in a hard shot, the ball hitting the post, which held the goal nets up, causing a rare rattle. Off went Everton, and Brown being passed Bell rattled the ball nicely into the home goal by a cannon off Greenhalgh foot, With two goals against the Wanderers, their fate seemed already sealed, but Everton, had a nasty rain dropping in their faces. The obviously handicapped them a lot, Balmer headed out a long shot from Boyd, but Wright brought his head into play, and Kitchen had to fist a greasy ball out. Next the Wanderers got a corner, which was nicely placed, and some skirmishing work in Everton goal proved very lively, Greenhalgh eventually shooting through a sea of legs, and obtaining Bolton's first goal. The Wanderers were now having their full share of the attack, “Jocky” Wright being twice prominent, on one occasion striking the upright with a grand shot. Larry Bell made a good run along the home left, and his centre was a beauty. Stoke met it, and beat Kitchen again, cheering went up at this supposed equalising goal, but it was negatived for offside. There was no doubt about it, the little Wanderer was offside. Of course, the home supporters did not like the decision. Young then scored an offside goal for Everton, and after both sides attacked in turn. Jack Bell ran half the length of the field followed by Brown, and though Thompson came out Bell beat him with a good shot. Final result Everton 3; Bolton Wanderers 1.



November 3, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination (Game 8)

At Goodison-road. A capital game was witnessed. Everton scored first through Rankin, after seven minutes play but McKay soon after equalised. Picken scored again for the Wanderers, who led at half time by 2 goals to 1. In the second moiety Dixon managed to place the Evertonians on level terms, the result being a draw of 2 goals each. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Doyle (d), and Bucknall, backs Wolstenholme, Clark, and Makepeace, half-backs, Rankin, Monks, Dixon, Clive, and Dilly, forwards.



November 3, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

The position of Bolton Wanderers one of the oldest clubs in Lancashire is becoming truly deplorable. A little over a week ago, in their eight match of the season, they gained their only point at the expense of Liverpool. Though the points was the outcome of a penalty kick the supporters of the Wanderers were hopeful of better things. Unfortunately for them Everton on Saturday were even unkind than the Anfield road club had been in the previous week. The Evertonians who posses the somewhat unusual grit of, on many occasions, displaying their best form when away from home, were altogether too clever for the “Trotters” and to the chargrin of the latter's still enthusiastic followers, gained a well merited victory by three goals to one. The consequence is that the Wanderers as the result of nine games, have secured a solitary point. One is bound to recognise the decadence of a club which in the early days of the League was of high standing, and there is no concealing the fact, that if the Wanderers are to escape the ignominy of relegation to the second division, there will have to be a manifest improvement in their play, and that at a very early date.

Nowadays there is no such things as practical sympathy on the part of one League club to another. Vital as the acquisition of points were to Bolton Wanderers, so keen is the contest that Everton could not, even if from a sporting point of view they had desired afford to give away any points. The teams, which represented the Goodison-road club, played the game for all they were worth, and disappointing as the result was to the 12,000 or so spectators, who patronised the match, it was generally conceded that the better team secured the victory. In all departments of the game, the Evertonians asserted their superiority. Especially was this the case with the forwards, who adapting themselves to the circumstances indulged in a style of play that completely upset the calculations of the Wanderers' defenders, and particularly of the backs division. Time and again long swing passes from right to left and then vice versa absolutely non-plussed Brown and Haliday. The rare experience and judgement of Bell was in this respect of the utmost value to his side. Taking care not to encroach unduly on the offside rule, he judged the flight of the ball to a nicety, and when ever the slightest opportunity presented itself, he was always a source of anxiety and trouble to the opposing backs. Twice the adoption of these tactics resulted in a goal. It was after the interval that the Evertonians thoroughly tumbled to the close passing, always interesting to watch, was dispensed with for the more profitable methods of long passing and close following of the ball. After the Wanderers looked like equalising, the ball was swing out to Bell, who defeated his opposing backs and sent in a shot that Thompson misjudged, and for the remainder of the game a continuance of the methods adopted created quite consternation in the Bolton camp. Luck rather than management saved the citadel on more than one occasion, but eventually Brearley gave Bell a wide pass, with the result that Brown was easily beaten, and the custodian had to submit to a third defeat. At the close of the game the Wanderers half-backs coped with good success, but when once the ball was in the open they were in difficulties, and it goes without saying that had the visitors adopted their later methods throughout the game the issue must have been of a more pronounced character. General sympathy must be felt with Booth, the Everton captain in the bereavement, which he has sustained in the death of his mother. So expert an exponent of centre half-back player Booth is was no alight task which Russell had to undertake in the endeavor fill his shoes adequately. Moreover it was Russell's first appearance with the Everton League team, and it must be conceded that he came through a trying ordeal with conspicuous success. He in great measure possesses Booth's knack of robbing an opposing forward, and he has their further equlification that when beaten he does not given up, but is ever energetic in the attempt to recover himself from any temporary mistake. The other members of the team got through their work with conspicuous ability, but the criticism of the game would not be complete without mention of the half-backs, who in addition to serving up their forwards, were frequently popping at goal in this fashion of expert forwards. Balmer demonstrates conclusively that his best work is accomplished at right full back, and in goal the work of Kitchen left nothing to be desired. The Wanderers beyond a plucky stand immediately after the resumption gave a poor display, and the performance might truly be written down as fitful. But for the half-backs the side would have been dwarfed into insignificance, for with faulty forwards and unreliable backs, it is small wonder the visitors did not materially increase their score.



W' Goldie's Benfit Match.

November 4, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

At Anfield road yesterday. W.Goldie the popular left half of the Liverpool team, took a well-deserved benefit. A match of international character was arranged, players of England and Scotland being chosen from the Everton and Liverpool clubs. as neither teams possesses a Scottish custodian. Montgomery, of Bury turned out. The teams lined up as follows: - England: - Whitley goal, Glover, and R.Balmer, backs, Wolstenholmes, Chadwick (Tc), and C.Wilson half-backs Goddard, Brearley, Raybould, Monks, and Cox, forwards. Scotland: - Montgomery, goal, McCallum, and Henderson, backs, Fleming, Russell, and Goldie, half-backs, Taylor. Livingstone, McGuigan, Sheridan, and Dilly forwards. Although the weather was inclined to be showery, the attendance numbered 5,000 at the start. George Augur, the big man from the Hippodrome, who is 7ft 6ins in height kicked off for England, who early on attacked, the Scottish goal escaping narrowly. The Thistle forwards ran down by cleverly combined play, Whitley saving beautifully from the left wing. The game was by no means a bad one, good play being shown by both teams. After a quarter of an hour's play Dilly opened the scoring with a goal for the Scotsmen. For some time, after this the Englishmen had to defend. Dilly forcing a fruitless corner. At the other end Brearley once had a good chance, shot yards over the bar. Another goal came for the North Country men, through the agency of Dilly, and then England bucked up. Montgomery made three splendid saves, the last one being from Raybould, who had run between the backs. Then Sheridan beat three opponents very cleverly and gave McGuigan possession, the Liverpool forward sending a hot shot over the bar. A grand bit of work by Taylor resulted in Sheridan adding a third goal for Scotland. Amid cries of “play up England” the whites ran down, but failed to pass the backs. At length Goddard got away, but Fleming cleared his centre. Half-time Scotland 3 goals England 1. The Englishmen showed better form on resuming, and twice Goddard, almost got through, while Montgomery saved from Raybould. For some time the Scotsmen had to defend, and after Montgomery had saved a fine long shot from Chadwick, Raybould had a fine effort charged down. Then the Scotch front rank showed what they could do, and for a few minutes quite nonplussed the opposing defence. Whitley had to handle from Taylor, McGuigan, and Dilly, and after Montgomery had performed similarly from Goddard, Sheridan skipped round Glover, and put on a fourth goal for his side. The Englishmen retaliated strongly, and Cox put through, but was offside. Goddard and Brearley each shot badly, and then Scotland again took up the running, Whitley saving splendidly on several occasions. Each end was afterwards visited without result, both Whitley and Montgomery giving splendid exhibition of goalkeeping. Nothing further was scored, and an interesting game ended in favour of Scotland by four goals to nil.


Lancashire Evening Post - Wednesday 05 November 1902

This annual match was played on the latter's ground yesterday, and attracted a large gathering of students and village visitors. The Collegians played a plucky game, but could make little headway against Everton's superior science. The score at half-time was 4 goals to 1 in favour of the visitors, and, after a well-fought half, the game ended—Everton, 10 goals; Stonyhurst, 2.

L.R Roose

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 08 November 1902

(By "Perseus")

L.R. Roose, the gay-spirited young amaetuer, who keeps the Stoke goal, was the subject of a short chat with a brother critic from the Potteries. He doesn't put on the elast bit of "side," said my friend, and is a wonderful well liked by all the professionals, who find in him a most agreeable companion. Roose spends most of his time studying medicine in London, where he lives, I believe with his uncle, Dr. Robson Roose, a distinguished physician, located in the aristocratic district of Hill-Street, Berkeley-square Roose usually joins the team somewhere on its journey on the Saturday; and frequently goes after the match to spend the week-end in wales with his father, who is a clergyman.

Roose's goalkeeping abilities are far in advance of what some Blackburn people might think. Last season he was unable to show his real form at Edwood Park, while a week ago he let through a soft goal. Despite this, he is a really smart man, not perhaps so cool as the ideal custodian and a wee bit daring, but still very good. His eye is keen, his arm strong, and he is agile as well as fearless. You never have and difficulty in picking him out in a scrimmage, as he invariably wears all white.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 08 November 1902

I see says "Tom Tiddler,” that League clubs, according to counsel's opinion, are not liable for injuries to their players; the Employers' Liability Act does not apply. Clubs will rejoice at the news, especially the impoverished ones, but they will find, in the end. that it is penny-wise, pound-foolish policy to be niggardly with their players. I have sounded Liverpool and Everton pros, the subject, and their answer is just what might be expected they will run risks that are not paid for. As well might the British Government decline to pay for wounds received by its soldiers in battle, as football club decline to pay for injuries received by its players on the field. There will be a notable slackening of seal if counsel's opinion acted ; football matches become slow as funerals: no more broken bones, no more barked shins even, because the injured players will have to provide their own doctors and sticking-plaster. Of course, there are always two sides to question, and the other side bears hardly on the clubs. Take the case of Bowen and Liverpool, for instance. Bowen cost Liverpool £4OO, and for that they had ‘only 90 minutes' play out of him. According to counsel, they were not liable ; they ought not to have paid. But the case is altogether exceptional, and would be wise, for the sake of few such cases, to penalise other players, to say that under no circumstances, even when they have broken a leg to secure winning goal, will their clubs see the injured players well again?



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 08 November 1902

At Anfield. Liverpool pressed with the wind in their favour, and Bowman broke away for Everton, Makepeace shooting intop Perkins hands. He gavce a corner to a second shot by Rankin, and tight play under the Liverpool bar followed. Relief afforded by Hughes let in Parkinson who missed an easy opening in front of the Everton goal who missed an easy opening in front of the Everton goal. Bowman then scored grand, but McGuigan equalised after exciting play. half-time; Liverpool Reserve 1, Everton reserve 1. Soon after resuming Morris got away cleverly and lodged the ball in the net for the Liverpool. Whitley, in goal saved several other hot shots, and Liverpool continued pressing, beating down at last. Everton battled hard to equalise, and Clark ,ade the score two each out of a wild scramble. It was naybody's game to the finish, which was fought out in a downpour. Result; Liverpool Reserve 2, Everton Reserves 2



Sheffield Independent - Monday 10 November 1902

The visit of Everton to Blackburn did not prove so strong an attraction as might have been expected, the spectators at the outside not numbering more than 5000. The Rovers laboured under one serious disadvantage, Blackburn, who under suspension, being away. Russell was also absent, and his place was taken by Booth, ex-Rover player. Everton had rather the better of the opening half, which for the most part was keenly contested. Brearley headed through for the visitors, but shortly afterwards McClure equalised. Nearing the interval, however, Bell got through, and Everton crossed over with a lead of two goals to one. Although at the end of the first half the Rovers found themselves a goal to the bad they had had the most of the play, but a fresh start, being made Everton showed to more advantage, and were very dangerous. This stare of things, however, did not last long, the Rovers playing hard and gaing the upper hand. Dewhurst, amid enthusiasm made the score level, and then Whittaker put Rovers ahead. Result; Blackburn 3, Everton 2


November 10, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

For the second week in success, Everton had on Saturday to make the journey to a Lancashire town, Blackburn being the venue, and in view of the lowly position of the Rovers, the players were hopeful of reversing last season's result, when the Rovers triumphed by 3 goals to 1. The visitors had the full strength, Booth reappearing but Blackburn, who has been suspended, was absent from the home side. Rain, which had fallen heavily during the morning, cleared of half an hour before the start. The teams were: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Balmer, and Crelly, backs Taylor, Booth (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs Sharp, Brearsley, Young, Sheridan, and Bell, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Joyce, goal, Crompton, and Derbyshire, backs, McClure, Logan and Robertson half-backs Whittaker, Watson, Dewhurst, Morgan, and Swarbrick, forwards. Young set the ball in motion, and it was early evident that the desperate position in which the Rovers find themselves in the League table would have an effect upon the players. Right from the kick-off a most determined attack was made on the Everton goal, and it was fortunate for the visitors that both Balmer and Kitchen kept perfectly cool. The latter in particular distinguished himself, but so worrying were the tactics of the home front line that it was only with difficulty that the Evertonians could get the ball away from the vicinity of their goal. The first retaliation in the direction of an attack came from the visiting left wing. This however, was soon nipped in the bud, and in a twinkling Kitchen was called upon to negotiate a long shot from Logan. The assault on the Everton goal continued, with out, however, producing anything tangible and then Bell again got away. He was soon brought up by means of a foul and the free kick being of no avail the Rovers once more took up the running. A rather weak kick on the part of Crelly presented the home forwards with a grand opening, but dallying tactics were to no use, and just when the danger threatened Abbott cleared in fine style. The first serious attempt to lower the Rovers colours came from Young, who drove in hard at Joyce. The goalkeeper saved his shot, but the ball hovered around the Rovers goal, and as the result of some clever work on the part of the Everton forwards, Brearley defeated Joyce after the game had lasted 15 minutes. This reverse had an encouraging effect upon the Rovers, who attacked with great vigour, and in a manner which really deserved success. Kitchen however, was the great stumbling block, one of his saves during a period of strenuous attack being wonderfully clever. Apart from a run down by Young, which was unproductive, the Rovers pretty well monopolised the play. Their efforts however, were spoiled by the undue eagerness of the forwards to find the net. Swarbrick on one occasion tried his luck when well placed, only to find that the ball curled the wrong side of the upright. Following a free kick the ball was headed in swiftly, and Kitchen brought off a very smart save. A corner to the Rovers was afterwards conceded, and a few anxious moments for Everton followed. Ultimately Abbott removed the danger and Bell made a move in the opposite direction. This came to nothing, and the next item of interest was a long shot by Derbyshire, the ball being caught and punted away by Kitchen. A moment or two later the Rovers were rewarded, a low shot from McClure taking effect, although Kitchen might have saved it. The shot however, came in unexpectedly, and his colleagues interfered with Kitchen's view of the flight of the ball. The spectators with terrific cheering received the equalisng point, and the applause was renewed as the Rovers exhibiting the utmost determination maintain a vigorous onslaught on Kitchen's charge. This time the Everton custodian was not caught napping. Once the ball was planted in the net, but the whistle had previously gone for offside. Suddenly Young dashed away, and the outcome of a neat movement was that Bell was enabled to defeat Joyce, and once again place Everton ahead. This was after thirty-five minutes, and Everton retained the lead to the interval. Half-time Everton 2, Blackburn Rovers 1.

The game was resumed in a falling light before 3,000 spectators. The first aggressive movement came from the Everton left wing, and this led to a long shot from Young, which went the wrong side of the upright. A free kick enabled the Rovers to make ground. Balmer neatly intercepted a clever centre from Whittaker. In a trickling the Evertonians carried the play into their opponents territory where Young was pulled up for offside. Midfield play ensued until the Rovers got within reach of Kitchen. Their efforts, however, were weak. Next Sharp had hard lines with a rattling shot, which struck the crossbar, the Rovers having a very lucky escape. The home side tried desperately hard to reduce the adverse margin, but Kitchen was not to be beaten. Swarbrick had a nice opening, but his shot was lacking in direction. A heavy downpour of rain interfered not only with the players, but with the comfort of the spectators. Both sides however played with remarkable energy, and the game was always interesting. The Rovers had the better of the exchanges towards the close, and Derbyshire equalised. Whitaker gave the home team the lead, and they held their advantage to the Finish. Final result Blackburn Rovers 3; Everton 2.



November 10, 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination (Game 9)

Played at Anfield in showery weather, before about 8000 spectators. Both sides were at full strength, Liverpool having Perkins in goal. Everton had to play against the wind in the first half, but were the first to show to advantage. Perkins making several fine clearances. Several corners fell to the visitors without anything resulting, and on Liverpool taking up the running, Whitley saved finely. The Reds forwards were a long time settling down the Everton halves playing a splendid game. Bowman was prominent in several attacks by Everton, and after nearly half an hour's play, he ran through unaided and scored a brilliant goal. Then the Reds got down but finished badly and Perkins was kept busy. He was equal to all demands, and Raisebeck sent in a magnificent shot to Whitley, who saved finely. Just before the interval a dash by Liverpool resulted in Hughes equalising. Play in the second half continued to be vigorously contested, the game being a very keen one all through. Early on Morris gave Liverpool the lead and for a long time the home side showed considerable improvement, and kept Everton on the defence. Afterwards the visitors attacked in determined fashion, and Clark who had shown splendid form, throughout made the score level. Each side tried hard to secure a leading point, but failed, and a capital game in a draw of two goals each . Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, McCallum and Orrill, backs, Taylor, Fleming, and Raisebeck half-backs, McGuigan, Parkinson, Hughes, Green and Morris, forwards. Everton: - Whitley goal, Henderson and Balmer (r), backs Wolstenholmes Russell, and Clark, half-backs Rankin, Monks, Bowman Makepeace, and Dilly, forwards.



October 10, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton on Saturday were much kinder to the Blackburn Rovers than they had been a week previously to another Lancashire club- Bolton Wanderers- who require points even more than do the Rovers. At the same time, it was not so much a case of being generous to their opponents, as it was instance of plucky play on the of a team full of determination. Undoubtedly on the day's play no one could begrudge the Rovers the full measure of points, which were so exceedingly welcome to the supporters of the historic club. Indeed, it is a long time since a more pronounced exhibition of delight has been seen at Ewood park than was the case on Saturday, when only a few minutes from time, Whittaker shot what proved to be the deciding goal of the match. Hats were thrown into the air and despite the depressing state of the elements the terrific cheering of the three of four thousand spectators who assembled, called up recollections of a scene which is usually only associated with the English Cup tie final. Seeing that the Rovers have only placed one victory to their credit in the League tournament, it is not to be wondered at that both directors and supporters of the club viewed with the utmost anxiety Everton's visit. Another defeat would have been truly disastrous and certainly, at one period of the game, there seemed every possibility that the Rovers would have another reverse added to their king list of disappointments this season. When at half-time, Everton crossed over with a lead of two goals to one, the outlook from the Rovers point of view was decadently depressing. To the credit of the home team, be it stated, they struck to their work in the most galliant manner possible. They did not give up heart, and playing with an energy worthy of the reputation of the Rovers in their best days, they gradually got the better of the Everton defence and ultimately pulled the game out of the fire in a fashion, as before remarked, which sent their supporters into ecstasy.

Although Everton held the lead at the interval it can hardly be said that this was a true reflex of the general run of the play. Unquestionably the Rovers were responsible for the bulk of the attack, and on more than once occasion were distinctly unlucky in not scoring. To a great extent Kitchen was responsible for the in as much as he kept out some splendid shots which almost deserved to count. Everton's two goals came from sudden dashes on the part of the left wing.on one occasion Booth- the old Rover-tapped the ball across to J.Bell, who raced along in his best form, and finally passed to Brearley who placed the ball into the net, while Joyce the Rovers custodian was vanity appearing for offside. The second goal came with when the visiting front line headed to the other end, after constant pressure, and Bell with a beautifully-judged shot, had sent the ball into the net, without giving Joyce the slightest chance to effect a save. McClure was responsible for the first goal which the Rovers registered. It was a low fast shot and came somewhat as a surprise to Kitchen, who had he been prepared for it. Might have stopped it in time. The other two goals, the Everton keeper had no opportunity of clearing, and the Blackburn victory, under the circumstances, was most meritorious. While not being as clever in their movements as the Evertonians, any luck of science was compensated by the absolute determination and energy which the Rovers displayed right from the kick off, until the final whistle blew for the final. In place of Blackburn who is undergoing a period of suspension, the Rovers introduced at outside left a youth Swarbrick, who, judging by his work on Saturday, is worthy of a sustained trial. Time after time he had such a clever exponent of back play as Balmer in difficulties, and the manner in which he swung the ball across to the opposing wings shows that he has been making of a good outside man. At the other end of the line, Whittaker too, displayed excellent judgement in this respect, and it was but fitting that this player should have had the honour of scoring the winning goal, which was so urgently needed. The Evertonians played by no means a bad game, but the heavy nature of the ground was scarcely suited to the tactics they adopted. It was only on somewhat rare occasions that the forward line got into their real swing, and this was in no small measure due to the harassing methods employed by, the home half-backs. The left wing was certainly the most conspicuous, Sheridan and Bell putting in many of the prettiest touches of the game, and Booth shone above his confreres at half-back, but Crelly though working hard was at times unequal to the desperate onslaught of the Rovers'right wing.



November 11, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Senior Cup, second round Replay

Walter Abbott, sent penalty kick wide.

The replayed tie in the second round of the Lancashire Cup Competition was played at Goodison Park yesterday afternoon between Everton and Manchester City though the ground was heavy after recent rain. Everton made three changes from their selected side, but the City were almost at full strength. The teams were: - Everton: - Whitley goal, Henderson and Balmer (r), backs, Wolstenholme, Clark, and Abbott, half-backs Rankin, Brearley, Bowman Sheridan, and Dilly forwards. Manchester City: - Hillman goal, Davidson, and Slater, backs, Frost, Hynds, and Bevan, half-backs Guy, Bannister, Gillespie, Turnbull, and Threlfall forwards. Gillespie started for the City about five minutes after time, before a moderate attendance. Clark was prominent and after a couple of minutes play Brearley scored a capital goal for the home team. Everton next forced a corner, which Dilly placed behind. The Everton half-backs cleared a dangerous rush and then Gillespie shot wide. The same player tested Whitley with a slow shot. The visitors continued to press, but Whitley save splendidly from close quarters. Rankin and Brearley put in some good work, but Bowman got offside. A moment later Rankin, from almost midfield sent in a capital shot, which Hillman tipped over the bar, the corner being put behind by Dilly. The City forwards got down and Henderson headed out from under the bar, Clark clearing. City received the ball, and got close in, but Whitley saved. At the other end, Bowman had a glorious chance, but sent the ball on the wrong side of the post. The City then attacked, and Bannister equalised from a centre sent in from the right wing. A few minutes later, however, the Everton forwards got down, and Bowman put the home team ahead. Guy next shot in strongly, but Whitley saved finely, although opponents surrounded him. Sheridan ran down in promising fashion, but Davidson fouled him just outside the penalty area. Following the free kick, Abbott tried a shot, which went wide. A moment later Hillman saved brilliantly at the expense of a corner, which was fruitless, and then Guy dropped the ball right under the Everton crossbar, and Turnbull made the score equal. Towards the interval Everton attacked, and Hillman cleared from Abbott and Dilly. On the last occasion Dilly put the ball right under the bar, but the City goalkeeper fisted out in fine style. Half-time Everton 2, City 2. Everton resumed with 10 men. Henderson did not return for some minutes, and then limped badly. The City attacked strongly, and the home goal had two narrow escapes. Exciting play was witnessed in the Everton goalmouth before Whitley at last cleared. Sheridan tried hard to get through, but shot wide on two occasions. Slater headed out good attempt by Clark, and the City dashed away, Threlfall's centre going right across the goal and outside. After Hillman had saved three shots in quick succession, Dilly was tripped when close in, but from the resulting penalty kick , Abbott sent wide. The Wolstenholme left the field, and with ten men Everton had to defend for a long period, Whitley, however, saved brilliantly, and on Everton retaliating, Hillman showed fine form in the City goal. Turnbull got right in front of Whitley, only to shoot over the bar. Next Brearley ran clean through, but shot into Hillman's hands from a couple of yards range, and a moment later the City almost scored. Whitley saving magnificently. Just before the close Rankin hit the bar, and when the whistle sounded, the score was still two goals each. Extra time was ordered. Play resumed in semi-darkness. Twice the game stopped, owing to injuries to players, and then a long delay occurred owing to the referee being hurt, that official having been struck with great force by the ball. Play continued to be vigorous contested, and both custodians were called upon. The goalkeeping throughout was very fine, and neither side scoring again the game ended in a draw. Result Everton 2; Manchester City 2.


Dundee Evening Post - Wednesday 12 November 1902


It will be learned with pleasure by his many admirers in this district that Tom Dilly, the old Arbroath forward, is just now playing in rare form, and that has been selected to appear in the first eleven team Saturday first against Sunderland. His displays for the reserve team this season have won for him the admiration of the Directors, and it is not surprising learn of his early promotion. Dilly will therefore have an opportunity of testing Doig, his famous townsman, with his shots. It may also be mentioned that Sunderland intended to play another Red Lichtie, Willie Maxwell, on Saturday against Everton, but owing to his father's death on Monday this player, who has just recovered from a recent injury, will not now play. He is at present resident in Arbroath. Everton's team will be: Kitchen; Balmer and Crelly; Taylor, Booth, and Abbott; Rankin, Brearley, Young, Bell, and Dilly.

Tom Wolstenholmes

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 15 November 1902

Tom Wolstenholmes is a player of promise and is likely to render Blackpool valuable service in the immediate future. He first attracted the attention of the Blackpool committee towards the close of last season when playing in a medal competition match, and before the season finished he assited the team in one or two friendly engagements. he was signed on as a professional just before the present season commenced, and already he has demonstrated his worth, having played some sterling games against Liverpool in the County Cup competition. Born at Little Lever, he has pl;ayed football nearly all his life. At the age of 15 he was figuring regularly with Farnsworth Wednesday -a team of shop assistants. Two years later he signed League form for Everton, but as he had secured a good position in business at Blackpool he only played for Everton reserves on two occasions, and the Blackpool Wednesday, a team of shop assistants had the benefit of his services. Though only 19, Wolstenholmes is a well-developed youth standing about 5ft 10 inches, and weighing about 12 stones. Sam Wolsteholmes, the Everton international, by the way is his brother.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 15 November 1902

at Goodison Park. The absence of Jones, the visitors left half, delayed the start Blackburn at once made a vigorous against Russell, and Hoagn leading off. Makepeace stopped them, but then Carthy ran down the centre and passed out to Kay, who gappoped for goal. He was pulled up just in time by Henderson for Whitley, in goal, looked none too safe. The ball having removed to the Blackburn end, Sheridan lost a fine chance by dallying with his shot. Eastham did not give them a second chance, and when Bowman renewed the atatck he found McIver ready for him. Aagain Russell and Hogan made play, and brought the ball away at a great pace. Sherdian retaliated with a dashing run, finishing with an unsucceesful claim for a corner. Play for a while settled in the visitors' half, Bowman when going straight for goal passed back. Though McIvor had more to do than the home goaler he was not serious pressed. Eastham and Riley being reliable at back and causing Bowman and his partner to shoot at long range. a couple of corners to the visitors had no result, but Whitley thrice had to clear. The Clarke scored. Half-time; Everton Reserves 1, Blackburn Rovers Res 0. Resuming Everton soon scored again, Bowman putting in a shot which glanced off one of the Blackburn backs into the net. McIver having no chance to save. Whiteley tipped out a captial shot by Hogan. The visitors were by no means done with yet, though they were now defending. Bowman nearly caught McIver napping. Sheridan proved a thorn to the visitors and he ran in repeatedly. Result- Everton Res 2, Blackburn Res 0.


P Sheridan

Nottingham Evening News, November 15, 1902

Most senior clubs see the folly of paying hugh transfer fees, and the junior ranks are closely watched for likely youths. Everton made a sound investment when they signed P. Sheridan (Clyde Junior) last spring.



Everton's Step Down

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 15 November 1902

by John Lewis

Everton's downfall at Blackburn shows, writes a Liverpool correspondent, not so much their want of skill as their want of stamina -they can't stay an hour and a half if resoulately tackled all the time. The clockwork movements of Everton were thrown out of gear by the Rovers; like all delicate pieces of mechanism they soon get out or order. I believe the "Toffees" would have won had they met a team more after their own refined style of play; but sometimes the most skilful duelist is beaten by the mere tyro, who laid about the "Toffees" and whipped them by sheer pluck. Still, victories" do in polities and the result is a step down the League ladder for the "Toffess"

Injured Evertonians

I am afraid Everton will go lower still before they mount higher. Three of their best men are off hurt -Settle, J. Sharp, and Wolstenholmes. Settle, of course, has not played since September 13th, when he got hurst against Newcastle United. His right leg has been in sprints ever since. It is too good to be true, the annoucement that he has resumed training. Secretary Cuff tells me that Settle will not begin to train for two or three weeks yet, and, of course, it will be sometimes after that before he is fit to play again, and still longer if ever, before he is his old self once more. The loss of last season's champion League shot for so long is a serious blow to the "Toffees."



London Daily News - Monday 17 November 1902

Favoured with fine weather the meeting between these sides at Roker Park attracted a crowd estimated at fully 10.000. There were changes in both teams. Sunderland pressed at starting, but Everton were the first to score through Young who got through from a corner. Sunderland then played with Increased vigour, and with a swift shot Robinson equalised the score at half-time belng one goal each. After change of ends Sunderland had most of the play, and at the end of fifteen minutes McAlister put them ahead. This advantage was maintained to the end, and Sunderland won by two goals to one.



November 17, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

In view of their match with Sunderland at Roker-park on Saturday, the Everton team travelled north on Friday, owing to an injury to Sharp, Rankin played at outside right, while Sheridan was rested. Bell playing inside left with Dilly for his partner. Fine weather attended the game, and the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Taylor, Booth (Captain), and Abbott half-backs, Rankin, Brearley, Young, Bell, and Dilly, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, McCombie, and Watson, bacjks, Farquhar, McAllister, and Jackson, half-backs Hogg (w), Robinson, Miller, Gemmill, and Hewitt, forwards. Referee J.Adams.

Prompt to time Young opened the play for the visitors against a slight breeze. The first movement of any note came from the Sunderland left wing, but opposed to Taylor they were kept well in check, and Rankin made some headway. The ball was, however, quickly back owing to the close attention of Jackson, and when Miller looked like getting through Crelly did well to kick into touch at the critical moment. The Everton left wing pair were then in evidence, but the final touch from Young caused little anxiety to Doig, who cleared, in easy fashion. Soon after a corner was forced off Watson. It was well placed by Rankin, and rebounded from the crossbar. Young met the ball, and with a rising shot completely beat Doig, play having been in progress seven minutes. Following this the Visitors pressed strongly and a low shot by Rankin caused Doig to run out. Pressure was levelled upon the visitor's goal, and on Balmer charging down a shot from Miller, the ball travelled to Gemmill, who had an absolutely open goal, but shot wide of the mark. A couple of minutes later Robinson also had a chance from Hogan, but headed over the line, and their continued the onslaught of the home team aroused much enthusiasm among the crowd. Again Robinson had a chance in front of goal, but harassed lifted the ball high over the bar, and a further attempt ended in Gemmill testing Kitchen with a beautiful oblique shot, which the custodian just managed to reach and clear. There could be no mistaking the earnestness of the home team just now, and but for their faulty finishing touches they must have got on equal terms. Equally promising were the defence tactics of the Everton backs, of whom Balmer was putting in much good work. At the result of fine play by McAllister and farquhar, Robinson sent in a swift shot which Kitchen ably attended to, but a minutes later the custodian was lucky in dealing with an effort from Gemmill and a corner kick, followed to the home side, but it availed them nothing. Had they been at all clever when in range they must have pulled level. At length the persistent efforts of the home team were rewarded. The ball was put to Robinson who, outwitting Crelly, drove in, Kitchen stopped the shot on the line, but before he could get it away the home forwards were on him, and the ball was rushed into the net. Miller was next in evidence with a tricky run down the centre, but was eventually outclassed by Booth, and a further attack ended in Brearley shooting in feebly though he laboured under difficult conditions. The Everton forwards were just now having the greater measure of play, but they found in McCombie and Watson a determined and reliable pair of defenders. However, a long kick from McAllister gave Hewitt a chance but he headed wide, and Rankin Brearley and Young changed the venue. Play slackened down somewhat, but breaking away again the home side were seem at great advantage, and Robinson put in a beautiful shot which, beat Kitchen and struck the post. The ball came to Hogg, who with a fine overhead kick, only a few yards from goal, just skimmed the bar. This was an exceedingly narrow escape for the visitors who were now heavily pressed. McAllister with a long shot was only slightly wide of the mark. Getting to work again the home van were extremely dangerous and one movement looked like being produced when Hewitt was ruled off side. Half time Sunderland 1, Everton 1. There would be about 11,000 present when the game resumed. Immediately the visitors, but strong kicking by McCombie made the running and Watson frustrated their efforts to shoot at Doig. From a free kick again the home right back the custodian had to run out to meet a shot from Taylor. Then Booth placed nicely forward. McAllister scored for Sunderland twenty minutes from the finish, and the home team retained the lead until the Finnish. Final result Sunderland 2, Everton 1.



November 17, 1902. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination (Game 10)

At Goodison park. Even play was the order for some time, and then Everton asserted their superiority, but failed to score until near the interval, when Clark beat McIvor. In the second half, the home side continued to have the best of matters, but could again only obtain one goal. Final result Everton 2, Rovers nil. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson, and Balmer (r), backs, Clark, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs, McDonald, Monks, Bowman, Sheridan, and Dixon forwards.



Novemeber 17 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

That the Everton team had an exceptionally stiff task on hand on Saturday last was generally admitted, despite the somewhat unsatisfactory performances of late by the Sunderland eleven at Roker Park. Unfortunately, the executive were not able to command the full resources of the club, and the side was of a somewhat experimental nature. Still, there were equally drastic changes to be effected on the part of the home team, owing to transfer and injuries, and there could scarcely be found one who could confidently point out the victors of what promised to be a hard-fought contest. On the Everton side, Sharp had perforce to take a rest, owing to an injury to one of the tendons of his thigh, and every supporter of the Everton club must know what a loss his absence must be to the team. Then again, Sheridan was given a rest, and here again the constitution of the left wing gave rise to some misgiving, which subsequent events demonstrated were not altogether without foundation.

Forward play was not of a satisfactory character, and though the Everton Club are to be congratulated upon having at their disposal a most serviceable array of reserves, it must be admitted that in a contest of the nature of that on Saturday, where experience counted much towards success, there was a lack of efficiency shown that stood out markedly to the general run of the methods of the team. To begin with, though Rankin played a fairly successful game as outside right, he was not a Jack Sharp, and to one who has followed the fortune of the game so far this season, Bell is not the deadly agent in the inside position as on the extreme left. It was this upheaval in the Everton forward line that accounted for the failure of the team to repeat the performance of twelve months ago on the same enclosure. Then the visitors for the first time in their career, defeated their opponents after a sensational game by four goals to two, and there could be no question that had the full resources of the club been at command on Saturday last, the result of the game would have been of even more pronounced in character. There was, unfortunately, a lack of the cohesion among the van, which is so essential to success, and as play progressed there was a combination of individual effort, and moderate generalship that rarely gave one hopes of ultimate success. The opening of the scoring favoured the Evertonians, who despite the swagged movements of the forwards, managed to lay an early foundation to victory. Their came about a change which completely turned the balance in favour of the home team. Kitchen shopped a hot shot apparently on the line, and while in the act of saving some half dozen opponents were upon him, and equalising point was successfully claimed. Upon what grounds the point was allowed it was somewhat difficult to apprehend for the referee was certainly not in a favorably placed for adjudicating the point and under the circumstances there was no reason whatever why the defending side should not have had the benefit of the doubt had such existed. The concession of this point to the Wearsiders had a wonderful effect upon their subsequent play, and there could be no question that during the remainder of the play they were the better side, and on the general run of the game were worthy of the acquisition of full points. What with transfers and injuries to players the executive of the northern club were in difficulties as to forward representation, but judging from what transpired on Saturday, they would be well advised in giving the latest quitted a sustained trial. There was plenty of dash displayed, and this combined with cleverness in front of goal, particularly by the outside men should, if Saturday's display be not of an deceptions character, carry them though many severe engagements successfully. They are certainly fortunate in their choice of inside right in the person of Robinson-a local youth-who was unsurpassed on the field for readiness and persistency combined with good judgement in front of goal. Still, taking forward play into consideration, there was a great falling off in the standard of play that has previously obtained in the meetings of the clubs, and from a local point of view, it was unfortunate that the “Blues” were not able to call up their full resources.

At half-back there was a display of dogged determination that savored almost of desperation. For the greater portion the game resolved itself into a tussle between the rival halves, and little indeed was there to choose between them. The ever reliable Booth and the attentive Taylor and Abbott were always in the forefront; and little removed in point of effectiveness were the these half-backs, who taking advantage of the somewhat loose methods of the visitors' forwards, lost no opportunity of making the best of their chances. Back play was a prominent feature of the game on both sides, and from an Everton point of view, it is a satisfactory item to chronicle that Crelly gave a much improve display, and a worthy of a continued trial. McCombie and Watson were powerful factors to Sunderland's and Doig brought of many fine saves but at the same time he was scarcely equal in ability of the Everton custodian, who played a markedly fine game.



November 18, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire senior Cup, round two, Second Replay

These teams met after two drawn games, at Hyde-road, Manchester yesterday in dry and seasonable weather. There were no more than 3,000 people present, when the game began. Several reserves were included in the Everton team but the home side consisted entirely of reserve men. The teams were as follows : - Manchester City: - Edmondson, goal, Ray, and Slater, backs, Robinson, Deardin, and Holmes, half-backs, Guy, Bannister, Bevan, Turnbull, and Booth, forwards. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson, and Crelly backs, Clark, Russell, and Abbott, half-backs, Rankin, Monk Young, Sheridan, and Dilly forwards. A rather late start was made, and Everton playing with the wind were soon round the home goal, and after a corner had been cleared, Henderson from quite thirty yards range sent in a terrific drive, the ball striking the corner of the goal, and rebounding out of play. Soon afterwards Sheridan made a good shot, and some excellent work by the home halves opened out the game, but the City never allowed to get dangerous. After some smart passing by the Manchester forwards, Whitley had thrown away from a harder by Bannister. Then Everton forwards dashed back again, but the defence did not give them many opportunities for shooting. Sheridan however, got one fine shot, which Slater headed away at the expense of a corner. This was soon disposed of, the ball being headed wide of goal. Fairly strong wind enabled the visitors to keep the home side on the defensive. The next man to make an attempt was Abbott, who tried a long shot without success. Deardin interposing. Another corner from Bannister and a second corner to Everton were abortive. Sheridan eventually beat Edmondson with a good shot. Ten minutes after their first success a fusillades by the visiting forwards resulted in Monks sending the ball again into the net, after Edmondson had smartly cleared from another forward. Immediately afterwards the same player sent in another shot, but the City custodian this time proved equal to the occasion. Half-time Everton 2; Manchester City nil. The home team began the second half in very promising fashion. They dashed down the field, and Guy dropped in a long shot, which Whitley only justed tipped over the bar. The corner kick brought nothing, and Everton started to the other end, where a shot by Dilly was charged down. The City got away, and Bevan missed a fine chance. This Rankin got possession, and started from the half-way line and ran clear through the home defence, finally finishing up with a low shot, which gave Edmondson no chance. Everton thus obtained their third goal five minutes after the re-start. From a corner forced and well placed by City Guy, the Everton goal had a narrow escape, the ball only requiring a touch to send it through, but an Evertonian arrived first, and the danger was averted. Near the end, Bevan left the field limping, and just afterwards Edmondson fisted out a fine shot from Rankin, and Everton had the best of matters for the remainder of the game, and won by three goals to nil.


Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 18 November 1902

Dilly on Saturday against Sunderland, and yesterday against Manchester City in the Lancashire Cup, showed some of his best form as an outside left. His shooting from the touch-line (says an English correspondent) were features of his play, and should not be long in finding a regular place in the first Everton team.



Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 17 November 1902


These teams met, after two drawn games, at Hyde-road, Manchester, in fine weather. There were not more than 3,000 spectators present when the game commenced. There were Reserves in the Everton team, but the home team consisted entirely of reserves. A rather late start was made. Everton played with the wind in their favour, and were soon round the home goal, and After corner given by Holmes had been cleared, Henderson, from quite 30 yards' range, sent in terrific drive, the ball striking the corner the goal and bouncing out play. Soon afterwards Sheridan made a good shot. Some excellent work by the home halves opened out the game, but the City were never allowed to get dangerous. As the result of some sharp passing by the City forwards, Whitley had to throw away from Bannister. A second corner was abortive. Sheridan eventually beat Edmondson with a good shot. Half-time—Everton 2. City 0. The home team began the second half in promising fashion, Whitley just saving from Guy. Rankin, from halt-way raced through the home defence, and shot past Edmondson. Rankin, Sheridan, and Young were all unsuccessful in shots goal. Result- EVERTON 3, CITY 0.



Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Tuesday 18 November 1902

These teams met Hyde-road yesterday to replay their match in connection with the second round of the Lancashire Competition. Each of the two preceding games which had been played between them had ended a draw of 2 goals each, and tossing for choice of venue. City won, with the result that the game took place Hyde-road in glorious weather but moderate attendance. The visitors had a capital side, but City played their reserve team in its entirety. From the start Everton pressed, Rankin and Dilly the outside wings being very dangerous. Edmondson saved cleverly and then Henderson hit the corner of the upright with fine shot, whilst Russell missed by inches only. The City forwards made several efforts to get away, but Henderson and Crelley easily dealt with the attack. Turnbull was prominent with pretty work which placed Bevan in good position, but "Henderson cleared. Then for the first time Whitley had save from a header by Turnbull. but aided by a strong wind had all play, and Slater twice headed out from Abbott and Monks. The visitors' forwards, however, dallied too much in front of goal, whilst Slater and Ray offered stout, resistance, but after 20 minutes' play Rankin centred cleverly and Young shota fine goal.. Half time arrived with the score: Everton, 1 goals; Manchester City, 0.

On resuming. City took up the attack mainly through Bovan, and Whitley, at the expense of a corner, had to save a high curling shot from Guy. Five minutes from the restart Rankin raced round and scored with a fast low shot, which gave Edmondson no chance. Afterwards the home goal had further narrow escapes, but City were playing much better with the wind, and after a abortive corner, Whitley made a brilliant save from Guy. Everton were, however, far too clever for the - home side, and matters pretty nearly all their own way. City forwards were easily held by the opposing halves, Bannister; who worked very hard, and from a foul committed against him, Robinson shot many yards over the bar. City pressed in the last few minutes, but without avail. Result: Manchester City 0, Everton 3

Remarks on the Game.

As the score would appear to indicate, the Everton men were all intents and purposes masters of the situation throughout the game, which is not surprising;, considering that the Mancunians placed their second string in the field in its entirety. That wellset-up player Who on the previous occasion that the GoodisonPark men figured at Hyde-road defended his charge with so much ability, had comparatively little this instance, for the Everton backs and half-backs scarcely ever allowed the City reserve forward line get into that swing which has won them' many matches. The advantage in weight which the winners possessed, particularly in the rear division, was also a material factor in game, but all the same the Everton men gave a good display. Young and Rankin the forward line, Abbott and Russell at half-back, and Crelly and Henderson the back division, being particularly fine. The third goal Rankin was possibly, the result best effort, of the afternoon. Getting the ball about midfield. this player dribbled at a tremendous pace and shaking off Slater he crowned everything by beating Edmondson with a capital shot. Rankin it may be mentioned. acts as assistant trainer to the club. As regards the City team, Guy, Bannister and Turnbull were the pick the forward line, while Dearsden acquiited himself well at centre half, though he had a troublesome customer to deal with in Young.


Lancashire Evening Post - Wednesday 19 November 1902

At the conclusion of the Lancashire Cup tie at Hyde-road, manchester, on Monday, the Blackburn Rovers came to terms with Everton for the transfer of Monks, their reserve forward. Like Tom Booth, Monks is an Ashtonian, and was first hard of with Stalybridge Rovers, where Bury discovered him. Everton gave Bury a fancy price for him at the beginning of the season. Monks, who will play inside right with the Rovers, gave a capital exhibition on Monday.


New Player for Blackburn Rovers.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 19 November 1902

The success of the Rovers from Blackburn over Sheffield Wednesday seems to have given them a now lease of life, and they are determined leave no stone unturned to obtain a better position the chart. They are making strenuous endeavours to strengthen the team, and their latest capture is that of Monks, a reserve forward belonging Everton. Terms -were settled, and the transfer completed the conclusion of the' Lancashire Cup Tie on Tuesday evening, Hyde Road, between the City and Everton. It was probably the capital display he gave that match that influenced the management of the Rovers' Club in coming to decision. Monks is an Ashton lad, and later, after figuring ranks the Stalybridge Rovers' team, was signed on for Bury, who parted with him at the commencement of the present season to Everton for a big price. His first appearance for his new club will be at inside right.



Dundee Evening Post - Thursday 20 November 1902

Owing to a slight cold Dilly will be unable to appear in the Everton team against Stoke on Saturday, and Bell will reappear at outside left, with Sheridan as inside player.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 22 November 1902

Things are looking rather glum at Everton just now. Secretary Cuff is sensitive to good and had fortune as Secretary Watson. Everton are just reversing the proceedings of Liverpool; they began well, but are going worse. A season ago they were second; now they are 12th in the League, with a bad record. They scarcely expected, of course, to win at Sunderland—except last season they never have beaten the Wearsiders at home, and the goal that separated them last Saturday is the margin by which Sunderland have won a dozen times in the past. Where Everton have lost has been on their own ground. A team that can pick up points neither at home nor away is in a bad state, and that is the state of Everton. There is some talk of fresh blood,” with which the secretary's absence just now is not unconnected. It is too late now to patch up; Everton must make the best of their present lot.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 22 November 1902

There was a good attendance at Accringtron this afternoon. Teams; Accrington; Walker, goal; Finney and Boulton, backs; Ashworth, J. Bradshaw, and W. Bradshaw, half-backs; Morgan, Watkins, Brunton, Hargreaves, and Gardiner, forwards. Everton Reserves; Whiteley, goal; Balmers and Maudsley, backs; Clark, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs; McDonald, Boardman, Chadwick, Dixon and Dilley, forwards. The visitors won the toss, and played towards the Clayton goal. Stanley were at once aggressive, and in the first two minutes Watkins scored with a splendid oblique shot. Another good attempt came from the right wing, but Whiteley was ready. After five minutes' even play Watkins and Morgan passed Maudsley, but the outside right shot too high. A minute later, however, Watkins hit the upright and Morgan securing the ball on the rebound, landed a second goal in ten minutes. Play now became more even, Everton gaining two futile corners. A couple of free kciks were awarded for fouls by Boardman. The heavy downpour of rain on a ground previously hard with frost made good play difficult. Still Stanley pressed, and Finney followed up one of his clearances with a pass to Hargreaves, who neatly screwed the ball into the corner of the net, making the third for Stanley in 25 minutes. After another corner from a scrimmage had been forced by Everton, Watkins and Morgan evaded the halves and backs, but offside averted danger on the left wing. brunton was rewarded for neat dribbling and even play followed up to the interval. Half-time; Accrington Stanley 3, Everton Res 0.

Stanley immediately invaded the Everton territory, and from a pass by hargreaves made no mistake registering a fourth goal. Soon afterwards he received a nasty kick on the shine by Balmer, but was able to resume. Everton reorganised their team, and this strengthened their defence. Morgan got in a good centre, and a corner was followed by a scrimmage, but th ball went oout of play. The visitors made a determined charge, and Walker, running out to save, was bowled over. He struck to the ball several seconds, and then cleverly threw away. Before he could get back to his charge, however, Broadman had scored. he was badly injured in the melee, and for some minutes had to support himself against the uprights. Soon afterwards the game had to be stopped because Morgan was injured in a collison with balmer. On resumption Whiteley was hard pressed, and stopped two hard shots from a ruck of players. After 20 minutes Ashworth scored a fifth goal for Accrington with a lucky long range shot. Morgan sent in another late centre, Whiteley giving a corner which was fruitless. Result- Accrington Stanley 5, Everton Reserves 1


November 24, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

After three successive matches away from home, Everton had a visit from Stoke on Saturday. Owing to an injury to Crelly, Henderson was called upon to Partner Balmer, while Stoke had two changes, Forest and Lockett appearing for Johnston and Bridgett. Unfortunately, rain fell persistently, but it cleared before the kick off. The teams were as follows : - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Henderson, backs, Taylor Booth (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Rankin, Brearley, Young, Sheridan, and Bell, forwards. Stoke:- L.R.Roose, goal, Burgress, and H.Smith, backs, Baddeley, Holford, and Bradley, half-backs, Forrest, Whitehouse, Watkins, Capes, and Lockett, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham. Stoke having lost the toss Watkins started the game at twenty-five minutes to three in the presence of about 7,000 people, the early kick-off no doubt being responsible for this in large measure. There was a fairly strong wind blowing across the ground, which was rather favorable to Everton. The visitors were the first to take up the running, and Capes had a chance, but his shot went wide. The half-backs on both sides were particularly strong. The Stoke left wing suddenly broke away, but Capes was pulled up for off-side. Henderson soon afterwards relieved finely, and led to another attack by the Everton forwards, who however, could make little impression upon the visiting defence. At length Young shot in grandily, the ball, fortunately for Roose, going a little the wrong side of the upright. Next the Stoke right wing were prominent, but Kitchen easily dealt with a long shot, and then Rankin was rushing away nicely when he was fouled by Holford. From the free kick Taylor landed the ball into the net, but it had not been played a second time in its progress. Play continued to be very keen, without bringing forth anything usually interesting. Stoke quite held their own on the slippery turf not a few of the players finding it difficult to keep their feet. This interfered considerably with a correct exposition of the game. Once Watkins had a rare opening, but dallying too long, he was robbed of the ball, still the visitors attacked. Forrest being particularly noticeable and the Evertonians were somewhat lucky in maintaining their goal intact. When Everton did get away Roose was all there, his fearless kicking being of great use to his side. In the course of another onslaught, Balmer effected a smart clearance by means of his cranium, and this was followed by a run down the wing by Bell, whose final effort, however, was particularly weak. An unexpected shot from Sheridan called for attention of Roose, who was no doubt pleased that the ball passed over the line on the wrong side of the upright. Aided by free kicks, Everton stayed for some time in their opponent's territory, but the forward line was lacking in combination, and their efforts were rarely dangerous. A moment later a pretty movement between, Bell, Sheridan and Young, ended in the latter shooting in from short range, Roose, however, saved brilliantly. After a smart work on the part of the left wing especially Sheridan, Everton seemed likely to score, but Taylor sent the ball far away from the goalmouth. Gradually the Stoke players worked their way to the other end, and once while Henderson was on his back, Forrest had a shot on his own account. His aim, however, was not accurate, and the home goal escaped. At this period of the game the Potters were smarter in their methods than Everton, but singularly enough neither goalkeeper had much work to do. Towards the interval Roose saved two or three times in rapid succession, and at the end of one spirited attack the Stoke custodian seemed to hurt his knee. Just before half-time, Brearley had a great chance, but failed lamentably. Half-time-Everton nil; Stoke nil.

The second half opened in sensational fashion. Right from the kick off, the Stoke players dash off Lockett flashed the ball across, and after Watkins had missed his kick, Whitehouse sent into the net. Kitchen being quite unable to stay its course. This success encouraged the Potters, and for some they were all over the Evertonians, whose defence fortunately for them held out. The Everton forward line had undergone a change since the opening half, the experiment being tried of playing Bell inside right with Brearley outside left. The home side tried desperately hard to draw level, and once Roose in plucky style took the ball away almost from Sheridan's toes. Then Sheridan had extremely hard lines with a splendid shot, which hit the post. The Stoke players now only occasionally got away, and for the main part the Evertonians were acting on the aggressive. Roose fisted away a dropping shot from Taylor, and it seemed as if Everton were not to be allowed to score. After a fine run down by Brearley, a grand chance of equalising fell to Rankin. The game was exciting to the finish, but Everton failed to score. Final result Everton nil, Stoke 1.



November 24, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination (Game 11)

At Accrington, Everton were but poorly represented, and had the worst of matters throughout. At the interval Acrrington lead by 3 goals to nil, and finally won by five goals to 1. Everton: - Whitley, goal, not known, and Balmer (r), backs, Clayton, Russell, and Clark, half-backs, McDonald Boardman, Chadwick (j), Makepeace, and Dixon, forwards.



November 24, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton gave a very disappointing display against Stoke, and to the mortification of their supporters were beaten at home for the second time this season by a goal to nil. Not by any stretch of imagination could the game be designated a great one, it was stubbornly contested encounter, but rarely did the standard of play reach a high level though Stoke were the more accomplished side in this respect, and thereby fully deserved their victory. In the first half, a splendid save by Roose from Young, and an uncountable blunder by Brearley just on the interval when he placed the ball over the bar from about a couple of yards range, prevented Everton from gaining the lead, though truth to tell, their play did not warrant them bring ahead of their opponents at breathing times. Stoke held the preponderance, even in the midfield exchanges during the moiety, but their final efforts lacked string, and thus with one side making but little headway, and the other finishing feebly, it will readily be seen that there was little in the game to arouse genuine enthusiasm. Immediately on resuming Stoke scored after some manourving on the left wing, and Whitehouse converted a centre from Lockett. Even the reverse did not stimulate the ragged Everton front rank, and half an hour elapsed before they were seen to anything like advantage. Luck, however, did not favour them even now, and a fine shot from Sheridan, which had beaten Roose all the way, struck the side of the upright. This was their last expiring effort, and Stoke was prevented with the utmost difficulty from increasing their lead. They thus reversed last season's verdict, and as they managed to draw at Anfield earlier in the season, they need be highly satisfied with the visits to this city. Their success was due more to determination and sterling endeavour rather than to any particular display of classy football, and in this they were superior to Everton, who could neither do one thing nor the other.

Everton's great weakness was in the forward line, and the feeblest part of this unsatisfactory combination was the right wing. For some reason it was deemed fit to transfer Brearley to outside left in the second half, this bringing Bell to partner Rankin, but this change did not prove one whit more effective than the customary wing had done, and the former positions were quickly resumed. There was a complete lack of understanding and method in this department of the team, and it cannot be said that they lacked opportunities, for the half-backs gave them ample chances, but they seemed unable to turn any one of them to an advantageous account. Young was only moderate in the centre, and is still a long way removed from his form of a season ago. Sheridan as usual, worked hard, and was an easy first amongst the attacking forces, though he would do better if he roamed less. Bell was in an indifferent mood, and the right wing was absolutely disappointing throughout, Rankin being unable to utilise any of the opening which did come his way. In addition, the whole line seemed to be acting in discord throughout the piece; there was no unity of method permeating their movements, and a more disjointed, uneven performance has seldom been given by the Everton front line than that which they displayed in this match. The halves worked untiringly but they failed to get the men in front of them moving in their customary fashion, and their best efforts were thus allowed to go astray. Booth played a hard game whilst Taylor and Abbott laboured with commendable persistency, but they were unable to alter the moderate attempts of their comrades in front. Balmer was not at his best, and Henderson was beaten with ease on several occasions by the Stoke right wing. As this was the weakest part of the Potters' attack, some idea of the Everton back's efficiency may thereby be gathered. Kitchen had not much to do, but he appeared hypotised by the shot that scored, for he might have been more agile in his efforts to prevent it reaching the net.

Stoke gave a far superior exhibition to that which they displayed at Anfield some weeks ago their embodying plenty of dash, interspersed with a fair amount of skill and cleverness. Watkins at centre forward plied his wings most judiciously, and he was always on the alert for every opportunity. The extreme wingmen were speedy and on the left Lockett was repeatedly in evidence, his dashing runs and centres invariably keeping the Everton backs fully extended. Capes proved a clever partner though prone to illegal tactics at times, but the cause of Stoke's success was the enthusiastic manner in which they threw their whole energy into their work, and their most glaring fault was the feeble finishing touches at the end of otherwise excellent movements. Their halves were a capital trio, Bradley on the left wing being in excellent trim, and further behind Burgess and the amateur Smith gave as fine an exhibition of the full back game as need be desired. The latter simply overwhelmed Rankin and Brearley by real football and in Burgess Stoke possesses a defender who infuses headwork into his play, for he seldom made a false move. The impressible Roose kept a characteristic goal and he does not lack the ability to make known to all and sundry on the field- referee included- that he is a rather important member of the team. He made one splendid save from Young in the first half, and the influence of this one feat on the remainder of the game can scarcely be over estimated.



November 27, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

The new amateur team Northern Nomads played their first match yesterday, when they opposed Everton Combination at Goodison Park. The teams were: - Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wildman, and Vernon, backs, Montgomery, Chadwick, and Makepeace half-backs, McKenna, Roche, Brearley, Dixon and Dilly, forwards. Northern Nomads A.F. Eberle (Melling), goal, W.L.Whitehead (Bolton) and G.Bucknall (Melling), backs, J.G.Birch (Liverpool Ramblers), H.Thomas (Liverpool Leek), and H.Vicears (Ramblers and Corinthians), half-backs, W.Lawrance (Blackburn Etrurians), J.A.Gaukrodger and R Barlow (Liverpool Casuals), J.W.Cropper (University College), and A.Elston (Leek), forwards. Brearley kick off and in the first few minutes by Barlow, and McKenna sent very close, and then the last named hit the post, Dilly placing over when under the bar. Bucknall played cleverly for the Nomads, who forced a corner without result. Keeping up the pressure Barlow, Gaukrodger and Lawrence tried without effect. For quite a long period Everton were kept on the defensive, but the visitors shot badly. Thomas was prominent and Lawrence dashed away in great style, but was floored when close in. he was hurt, but was able to continue, Everton then had a turn, but the visitors backs played finely, and the Nomads again took up the attack. Their shooting however, was still open to considerable improvement. Two fruitless corners were conceded, the amateurs, and then Everton pressed. Eberie saying grandly from Makepeace. Directly afterwards Elston almost scored. Whitley saving well, and the Everton custodian afterwards cleared from Lawrence. Elston, and Thomas. There was no score at the interval.

Play on resuming was evenly contested, Whitley saving a good shot from Barlow, while Everton gained a couple of corners without result. Then Thomas grazed the post, and further corners fell to the Blues. An exciting scrimmage took place in the home goal, Whitley throwing away with half a dozen players on top of him. Play was keenly contested, the Nomads showing fine form, but shot tong badly. Bucknall was hurt and had to retire for some minutes and Whitley also had to receive attention. Towards the close Everton pressed, and near, the finish Brearley scored. It was an interesting match throughout the Nomads, particularly Thomas, Bucknall, Lawrence, and Barlow- showing up well, Final Everton 1 goal, Nomads nil.


Leeds Mercury - Friday 28 November 1902

Result:—Everton one goal, to the Nomads nil. Played at Goodison Park. Everton kicked off before a small attendance, in dull weather. Vicars, of the Corinthians, captained the Nomads. Play was fast at first, and Everton were long kept on the defensive, but the visitors shot badly. Everton afterwards had a look in, but the Nomads again attacked, but their shooting was open to considerable improvement. Two fruitless corners were conceded to the amateurs, though there was no score at half-time. In the second half Brearley scored, and Everton retired victors, as stated.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 29 November 1902

For the first time since last September, Everton were, says " Tom Tiddler,” able to play Settle again today. He was severely hurt against Newcastle United, had only just begun to practice again, and had to be hurriedly put on to repair Everton's recent disasters. Of course his record as “star” League shootist is ruined for a season; but that is not as bad as if his whole career bad been ruined. Sharp was also tried again to-day, after a considerable rest, and as Wolstenholme is the only absentee, Everton can no longer plead, as they when they get thrashed, that they have not their full team on. The next few matches will be critical for them. If they cannot improve on recent performances their supporters are expecting the Second Division. The prospect of this is staggering—a rich, historic, once powerful club like Everton in the Second Division! The lesson is that a team cannot live on past deeds; they must be up-fo-date; they must make the present worthy of the past. The tendency to linger seftly at former achievements is a bad sign; it shows that a team feel they are no longer what they once were, and if that sentimental balderdash is encouraged they will soon become team of good old have-beens.





























November 1902