Everton Independent Research Data



November 2, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

For the first time this season unfavourable weather attended the home match of the Everton club on Saturday. The outlook was always dull and at times drizzle set in. In view of the fine victory at Blackburn on the previous Saturday, it was confidently expected that Everton would retain their unbeaten home record, notwithstanding the good form shown by the Foresters in their away matches. The teams were at full strength, and faced as follows : - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, W. Balmer, and Crelly backs, Wolstenholme Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Young Settle and Hardman, forwards. Notts Forest: - Linacre, goal, Craig, and Iremonger, backs, Timmins, Warren, and Norris half-backs, Davies, Sheraman, Sugden, Morren, and Spouncer, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham Everton won the toss and thus gained the advantage of the wind. Sugden started in the presence of 12,000 spectators, and the early movements favoured the home side. Abbott and Booth put in some pretty touches, with the result that Hardman centred, and owing to weak kicking by the Forest backs, Settle had an opening, but sent too high. Notts forwards tried to make headway, but the Everton halves broke their combination, and Everton were again attacking on the right. A corner was forced, but from this Wolstenholme placed behind. A tussle between Sharp and Iremonger was interesting, and the latter was penalised by the referee, but the free kick brought no advantage to Everton. Both teams were exerting themselves to the utmost, and the ball rapidly travelled from end to end without either goalkeeper being seriously troubled. At last, however Sharp earned a round of applause by his cleverness in outwitting Iremonger, and his shot was punched out by Linacre, Wolsteholme afterwards obtained possession and sending at lighting speed over the cross bar. The visiting left wing became prominent, and just as Spouncer looked to have a great chance, he ran the ball over the line. Settle was penalised for tripping Morris, but the free kick, though taken from a good position was badly utilised. Abbott had the better of the tussle with Davies, and a moment later from the latter's centre Crelly miskicked, but unfortunately for Everton Sugden failed to turn the opportunity to account. After this a vigorous onslaught was maintain by the home forwards, the outside men displaying considerable smartness. The Forest defence, however, was on the alert, and Linacre was not troubled. At the other end Davies when nicely placed shot amongst the spectators, and then following a free kick, McDermott planted the ball high over the bar. Following a further vigorous attack by Everton, Booth sent in a low, fast shot which, Craig intercepted at the expense of a corner. This led to some exciting incidents in the Forest goalmouth, and Craig effected a fine save just as Young was about to fasten on the ball a few yards from the goal. The Everton quintette moved along in a style suggestive of a goal, but Hardman's centre went abegging. When hard pressed, Craig did not hesitate to kick out, and altogether defended splendidly. From a hugh kick by Balmer, Iremonger came to the rescue of his side just in time, while Linacre saved at the post a terrific shot from Wolstenholme. The Forest changed the venue, and again Sugden was at fault, otherwise Everton goal must have been captured. The visiting forwards passed prettily in midfield, but like Everton, their shooting was feeble. Shearman being a sinner in this respect. Kitchen saved from Spouncer, and Everton seemed to have a chance of forging ahead, but for once Young was apparently out of form. Hardman was conspicuous, with clever play, and he presented a grand opening to McDermott who, when beautifully placed, failed miserably to obtain the first goal. A moment later Booth was applauded for a splendid shot, which failed to take effect. Towards the interval, Everton pressed, but as in the earlier stages, their shooting left much to be desired, and at half-time there was no score.

The second half opened with a vigorous onslaught by the Evertonians, but again their shooting powers were at fault. A corner was placed behind, and then Spouncer called upon both Balmer and Booth. Hardman careered merrily along the wing, and from his centre Young sent wide of the upright. Suddenly the Forest dashed away, led by Sugden, who crossed to Davies. The latter shot in, and Kitchen in clearing fell down, Shearman dashing up with no one in front of him, and drew first blood for the Forest. This seemed to inspire the Lacemen, and for a few minutes the Everton defence was subjected to severe pressure. Gradually Everton responded to the cries of their supporters. Sharp centred grandly and Settle had only to tip the ball through to equalize, but to the great disappointment of the spectators he feebly banged the ball against Linacre, from whom it rebounded out of danger. It was a glorious opportunity absolutely thrown away. Forest quite held their own, and on two or three occasions, Kitchen agility alone averted further disaster. Everton were quite unable to reproduce their previous home form, and there was nothing like the usual understanding between the forwards and the half-backs line. Rain was now falling, and the conditions were pretty dismal, especially for the disappointed supporters. Mainly through poor shooting Everton failed to draw level. Just before the finish Sugden scored a second goal for Forest, and Everton sustained their first home defeat of the season by two goals to nil.


November 2, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination “A” Division. (Game 7)

At Colne, before 4,000 spectators. At half time the score read Everton 1 goal, Colne nil. On the resumption play was extremely keen, but Everton at length increased their lead. Clone played a good game throughout, but eventually had to succumb to Everton who were maters of the situation, and won by three goals to nil. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Gordon and Murray, backs, Taylor, Chadwick, and Makepeace half-backs, Rankin, Sheridan, Corrin, Dilly, and Simpson forwards.



November 2, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Prior to Saturday Everton had given such capital exhibitions of football at Goodison park that their supporters had begun to consider them invincible on their own ground, and few were there who would have ventured to prognosticate that their first reverse on this enclosure would be inflicted upon them by Nottingham Forest. After the defeat sustained by the Midlanders a week ago at the hands of Small Heath, such an anticipation could scarcely have entered the mind of everyone conversant with football form, but the isolated individual who always fixes his vaticination on the basis of the unlucky happening must have fairly showed himself in the match under notice. Everton's defeat b two clear goals was surprising. Chiefly on account of the quarter from which the reverse was inflicted, and had it come from what are usually considered the dangerous teams in the League, the astonishment would not have been so pronounced. The ostensible cause of the downfall of Everton was clear to all who saw the match, but what the various subsidiary items were each exercising in influence on the individual which culminated in two of the Everton forwards exhibiting most incompetent footwork is more difficult to fashion. Young and McDermott infused the leaven of inefficiency into the fears, and though the rest of the side strove desperately to resist the influence they had to ackownledge its permeating powers at the finish, and there was the astonishing spectacle witnessed of the backs miskicking, and the custodian giving away a goal before the close of the game. The play merits but little attention, and simply resolved itself into the fact that the visitors scored twice, and that Everton by their ineffecticiency near goal, conveyed the idea that they would never have gained a point had they been yet playing. Sharp sent across some perfect centres, but all met with the same fate. The two forwards already mentioned missed at least half a dozen easy chances of opening the score, but the biggest blunder of all was when Settle received the ball from Sharp, who had Striven valiantly to prevent the leather going out of play. The inside left was utterly unmarked, with Linacre only to beat, and not more than five yards away from goal, but, like an intelligent (?) workman, he shot straight at the custodian, though for what reason it is difficult to say. A judicious tap would have brought a goal, but the unreasonable cannon drive straight at his keeper was simply a shear waste of energy. A part from this, Everton should have won the match in the first half, and they were so clearly the superior side, that trifling details such as the acquisition of goals were utterly discarded, probably on the assumption that they could be got a little later on, when the dallying and finessing had been given a fair chance, and the spectators had become satisfied with watching the ball flying over, or on, to the covered stands behind the goals. The Notts players fully appreciated the situation, and, as Everton wouldn't, or couldn't score, they look upon themselves the task of goal gettings, and after they had once been successful-this occurring about ten minutes after the interval-they began to Beat Everton in their midfield play, and when Settle bungled a perfect opening gained by Sharp, to which, allusion has already been made they romped home easily. Their second goal, a minute from time, was a grit, and made the defeat appear a respectable one. Sugden and Shearman were the scorers for the Foresters, but a limited space prevents the mention of the non-scorers for Everton. The sole cause of Everton's defeat was the utter inability of the three inside forwards to utilise the numberless chances, which were made for them. In addition, three players, instead of making tracks for goal when in possession, were too inclined to indulge in useless passing and re-passing, tracing intricate patterns on the greenward, pretty to view but absolutely ineffective for the securing of goals. Young was utterly unable to do anything right, he was suffering from one of those attacks, which occasionally come to most players, namely, of doing the wrong thing always at the right time. The bulk of his passes went straight to one or other of the visiting backs, and the extreme wingers received no assistance whatever from him. McDermott caught the infection badly, and the pair furnished an object lesson in the art of how not to score. Their form was too bad to be true, which may perhaps form food for a series of pleasant relections, and temper disappointment. Settle accomplished some clever work in midfield, and it was unfortunate that he should have blundered so badly with that one opening, than which no easily could have been given. Sharp was the best forwards on the field, and it, is to be regretted that his partner was in such an impotent humour, for the extreme winger, whenever he did get the ball invariably made the most of the chance afforded. Hardman played a good game, but every movement was rendered futile by the inaccuracy-to use a mild term-of the finishing touches of the inside man. The halves were the best repressed by Booth, but no fault could be found with any of the trio until about 15 minutes from the finish, when matters underwent a change, due no doubt to the patent weakness of the forwards already mentioned. Balmer was the better of the backs, Crelly being a bit of colour in his general play, and Kitchen was equal to everything that came his way except the shot which he apparently misjudged at the finish, and which converted into a goal. He however, did not always clear with that precision, which is usually seen, though he only blundered once. The Foresters did not play a great game by any means, and before the interval they were fortunate in not being left badly in the rear. The best part of the side was the rare division, for the full backs kicked sturdily and vigorously and were not very particular as the exact location of the return so long as they succeeded in clearing their lines. The shining light at half-back was Timmins, who was equally as efficient in defensive tactics as in initiating aggressive movements, but the other two were average plodders who satisfactory preformed their duty. The forwards were no better than those of the home side in fact, they were decidedly inferior in midfield work, and the only reason they cannot be dubbed as the feebler set near goal is because the home front rank descended to a level below, which was impossible to fall. Davies seems a speedy sort of forward, and he was the most prominent of an ordinary line, though Spencer shaped well occasionally, but the remainder were only moderate. Everton as a matter of fact, lost the game themselves they were not vanquished by a better side, they were overthrown solely by their own incompetence near goal, and the result of the defeat be to demonstrate to them the necessity of shooting hard and often, and with some idea of the loostily of the netting, the unpalatable lesson will not have been caught in vein.


Burnley Express - Wednesday 04 November 1903

There was a capital attendance of spectators at Colne on Saturday, when the premier team bad as antagonists the Everton Reserve team. The home eleven included two new players Seddon, outside left, and Talbot, outside right, whilst relied upon tbe same team that did duty the previous week. Teams Maybury, Smatley, Turner, Golding, Walker, Pounder, Talbot, Savage, Sawley, Driver, and Sneddon. Everton: Whiteley, Gordon, Murray, Taylor, Chadwick, Makepeace, Rankin, Sheridan, Corrin, Dilly, and Simpson. Though Everton started, the home side were first to take up the running and Murray was called upon twice to clear. A long shot from Savage tested Whiteley, and after this Furrier had to repulse the visitors, who threatened the home goal. After passing through anxious time, Colne again brought pressure to bear on Whiteley's charge. Sawley sent in a grand shot, which Whiteley had some difficulty clearing. Driver next sent the ball over tbe bar. Maybury was next tested, successfully negotiated Diliy's shot. Colne more than held their own up to the interval, when the score sheet was blank. Shortly alter the re-start the Everton right wing rushed down the field and Rankin centred. Turner missed his kick, and Corin promptly netted the leather. After this reverse the home team attacked vigorously and some hot scrimmaging work took place in front of the Everton goal, which, however, escaped. After lengthy period of even play Everton livened up and Corin added a second goal. Seddon sent in a shot, which was met Gordon, and the Everton left wing getting possession again, Dilly with a fast low shot completed the scoring. Everton won by three goals to nil.


Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 06 November 1903

Everton Reserve v Rossendale United

Everton; Whitley, goal; Gordon and Murray, backs; Taylor, Chadwick, and Makepeace, half-backs; Rankin, Sheridan, Sutherland, Corrin, and McEwan, forwards.



Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Saturday 07 November 1903

Everton Football Club have secured William Sutherland, centre forward of Queen's Park, Glasgow.


London Daily News - Monday 09 November 1903

Both these clubs having done well this season, their meeting at Sheffield was regarded with considerable interest, and 15,000 people turned up to watch the play. Everton were represented by Murray at back instead of Crelly. The game opened with some fast and exciting footbal, a fine shot from Davis being cleverly saved by Kitchen. Everton forced a corner, but Lyall brilliantly stopped the shot which followed. Even and interesting play ensued, and about seven minutes from the interval assumed a very animated character. Perhaps the over leading by a goal. The second half produced some tame play in its early stages, but subsequently the game once more assumer a very animated character. Perhaps the Wednesday had the most of the play, but there was little to choose between the teams. Nothing further being scored, Sheffield Wednesday won by one goal to nil. They are now at the head of the League. With one more game played they are a point in front of the other Sheffield club, the United.


November 9, 190. The Liverpool Courier

The Blades were at home to Everton on Saturday, and the weather was beautifully fine. Both sides were without one of their fullbacks, Murray taking Crelly's place owing to the latter's illness, while Everton appeared in the Wednesday team vice Langley. There was a big attendance when the teams turned out as follows: - Sheffield Wednesday: - Lyall, goal, Layton and Barton backs, Ferrier, Crawshaw, and Ruddlesdin, half-backs, Davis, Chapman, Wilson, Malloch, and Simpson, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen goal, W.Balmer, and Murray, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Young Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Referee J.W.Bailey. Everton kicked off, facing the sun. The opposing stages were contested about midfield, when Simpson, fastening on the ball, raced away, and but for hesitancy at the crucial moment must have scored. Balmer stepped into the breech, and clearing strongly, a movement was made by the Everton left wing pair, only to be finally pulled up by Layton. The pace was brisk, and the general play for some few minutes was contested in fairly even fashion. A free kick to Everton found Settle in possession, but that player with Booth spoiled a possible opening by useless finessing with the ball. The Blades forwards next sent in a trio of shots, but none troubled Kitchen, as they were wide. The Wednesday forwards and halves worked in better unison than their opponents, and for some little time the game was contested within twenty yards of Kitchen, who was fortunately ably covered by his backs. Next came Everton's turn, and Lyall was called upon, but he kept his charge intact. The visitors attack was but short-lived, and following an attack by the left wing, the ball was put across to Davis, who with a swift shot, brought out a fine effort from Kitchen, who punched safely away. Then came a clever shot from Sharp, who screwed almost from the line, and a moment later had the Everton inside men been at all smart, a good goal must have accured, seeing that at the time Lyall was lying helpless on the ground. A strong run by Davis and Chapman resulted in the ball being placed to the left wing, and Wilson mulling the centre, put in a splendid shot, which just grazed the upright. A long shot from McDermott went wide of the mark, and this effort was followed by a fairly good drive from Wolstenholme, but Lyall was not to be caught napping. Play was always interesting, and so far as the Everton forwards were concerned they worked well together, and were distinctly unlucky in not finding the net. On one occasion Hardman took a sharp pass, and while at top speed shot in accurately, only to find Lyall bringing off a capital save, while Settle had the misfortunate to see a capital shot charged down. Sheffield had the better share of the game, but nothing could have been keener than the persistent attentions of the Everton half-backs who kept the Blades out repeatedly. Eventaully the Everton forwards moved down in clever fashion, and after some good work by Sharp the ball was put across to Hardman, who forced a corner, which, however, came to nothing. Within a couple of minutes the play was again at the visitors end, where Malloch and Simpson found plenty of work for Wolstenholme and Balmer. The former came under the notice of the referee on more than one occasion, and from a free kick, the ball was centred by Malloch to Chapman, who, losing no time, put the ball past Kitchen five minutes from the interval. This reverse put Everton on their mettle. They rushed down in a determined fashion, only to be met by equally stubborn defenders. Towards the interval Everton pressed, but without success. Half-time Sheffield Wednesday 1, Everton nil. On resuming play was very tamely contested for some time. Then Everton made a strong raid on the Wednesday goal, but the shooting was had. Gradually the Wednesday forwards assumed the upper hand, and the Everton backs were found plenty of work. Kitchen had to save from Malloch, and he also had to exert himself to prevent, a fine shot from Simpson taking effect. The latter stages of this half were much in favour of the home side but Balmer and Murray defended finely, and the Everton goal was not again captured. Final result Wednesday 1 Everton Nil.



November 9, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combition “A” Division (Game 8)

At Goodison Park, Everton pressed at the outset, and Arrowsmith was frequently called upon. Sheridan scored and another was added soon afterwards. Everton leading by two goals to nil at the interval. In the second half, the Rossendale defence was impregnable, and the score remained unaltered. Everton: - Whitley goal Gordon and Murray, backs, Taylor, Chadwick, and Makepeace half-backs, Rankin, Sheridan, W.D. Sutherland, Corrin, and McEwan, forwards .



November 9, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton have rarely proved successful against Sheffield Wednesday on their visits to the cutley capital, and no great surprise was occasioned by the defeat which they sustained on Saturday. They only lost by the narrowest possible margin, and, in view of their experience last season, there is some consolation in the fact, seeing that the outcome of their previous appearance at Owleton Park, was a much more singular reverse by four goals to one. Owing largely to the sticky turf, the game could not be considered by any means a high-class exposition of Association football. The fault on both side were obvious and many, but taking the general run of the play the “Blades” were entitled to their victory which, by the way, keeps them at the head of the League table. The first half was contested in spirited fashion, and for the most part on terms of equality. There were numerous pretty touches exhibited during the stage by the Evertonians, but whereas these produced nothing tangible, the Wednesday were enabled. through Chapman to obtain a solitary goal that gave them a couple of valuable points. In the second half, Everton were nothing like so conspicuous as they had been in the earlier stages of the game, though exception might be made during the last few minutes, when they put on pressure that taxed the Wednesday defenders severely. The home side however, had infinitely more chances than they of scoring, and under the circumstances the Everton defenders are entitled to credit for keeping out not a few well meant efforts. Where Everton failed was mainly owing to the lack of incisiveness of the three inside forwards. Sharp throughout did himself thorough justice, and Hardman especially in the opening half, and afterwards whenever he had a chance did all that could be expected of him in the direction of placing his side in a much more favourable position. Until the front line can combine with greater efficiency than has been the case, not only against Notts Forest, but against Sheffield Wednesday, there seems little hope that their admirable footwork in midfield will produce the all-important goal. Apart from this the Evertonians might have turned the tables on their opponents had they displayed anything like the dash and vigour of the Sheffield quintet. It was due, not so much to cleverness in attack as to be infusion of dash in their movements, that the Blades own their success. This was the more noticeable during the second half of the contest, when the home forwards lost no opportunity of keeping possession, and forging ahead and when necessity required, falling back to prevent the opposing van from getting into anything like a dangerous stride. On the other hand, the “Blues” were comparatively kept, and, but for the really capable work by the wingmen, the display of the front line must have been reduced to a very ordinary level. The half backs worked particularly hard where extreme pressure was brought to bear during the earlier stages, but it was only natural to expect that later on they should be so often overrun through the failure of the forwards to keep in possession of the ball. As suggested the Everton half-backs, under the circumstances would scarcely do themselves justice. Playing behind a forward line that is lacking in the first Principe's of attack, and in additions, having to oppose a quintet imbued with methods of go-ahead persistency is not calculated to see any half-backs line, at its best, such might fairly apply to the Everton trio. The full backs did exceptionally well, and for a first appearance in class football, Murray, who filled Crelly position, acquitted himself creditably, especially when one takes into consideration the harassing tactics adopted by the Sheffield right wingers. Kitchen kept a capital goal, and on the other side Lyall was rarely seriously troubled. The full backs, Layton and Burton, were capable defenders and the latter who was brought into the team owing to Langley's injury, gave promise of serviceable reserve strength to the Blades. The half-backs played an untiring game, and had the satisfaction of seeing their efforts supplemented in no small degree by the forwards, who stopped at nothing to keep the ball into their opponents half of the field.



November 16, 1903. The Liverpool Courier

A.Barrie sent off during second half.

These old rivals met at Goodison Park on Saturday in fine weather, and there were fully 15,000 spectators present when the game commenced. The Everton team underwent alteration from the side beaten at Sheffield Wednesday, Corrin and Sheridan replacing Young and Settle. On the visiting side Watson reappeared, the teams being as follows : - Everton: - Kitchen goal, W.Balmer, and Murray, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp McDermott, Corrin, Sheridan and Hardman forwards. Sunderland, goal Doig, goal McCombie and Watson, backs, Farquhar, Barries and Jackson, half-backs Capes, Briggetts, Hogg, Gemmell, and Buckle forwards. Refere A.Armitt. Everton won the toss, and the visitors immediately showed no advantage, but Abbott tackled in his host style, and Corrin passed out the ball to Sharp. This led to some exciting passages in the Sunderland goalmouth, Watson in trying to kick clear, conceding a corner. This brought no advantage to Everton, and Hogg availed himself of a nice opening and raced away to the other end, finishing up with a shot, which Kitchen cleared. Thus early it was evident that the spectators were to enjoy a spiritedly contested game. Corrin was at faulty through passing back, but immediately afterwards he made amends somewhat by directing a grand oblique shot at Doig, who had some little difficulty in diverting it round the post. The pace was tremendously fast, and each end was rapidly visited. At last Buckle initiated a splendid movement, in which Jackson assisted him, and as two or three of the Everton defenders missed the ball, Hogg had little difficulty in scoring. Everton tried desperately hard to equalise, and after neat passing between Hardman and Sheridan, Corrin found himself with only the goalkeeper to beat. His shot, however, just went over the bar. Still Sunderland more than held their own, and it was only owing to the magnificent goalkeeping of Kitchen that they were kept from adding to their score. First Craggs and then Buckle shot in hard, but Kitchen was equal to the occasion, his save save from the latter when a shot was not expected bring brilliant in the extreme. Everton were not comparing well with their old opponents, there being a want of methods a their attack. At the same they had a fine chance of equalising, but McDermott badly mulled a pass from Sharp, and the defenders did not allow Doig to be called upon. Bridgett was ruled offside when going for goal, and another attack by Everton resulted in Corrin sending wide. The game continued to be contested in the keenest spirit, and in some instance, a little feeling was shown by the players, which perhaps fortunately escaped the notice of the referee. Balmer was the medium of stopping a lively onward movement by Hogg and his comrades, and at the other end, the backs were so good that the Everton forwards rarely troubled Doig. At length the old Sunderland goalkeeper dealt with Sharp, got in a clever shot which coolly, and affectedly. Chiefly through Bridgett the Sunderland right wing got the better of Murray. Bridgett appeared to be pushed down within the penalty area, though the incident passed by unnoticed by the referee, and the ball went out to the centre, where two of three of the Sunderland forwards had a chance of fastening upon it. They dallied and Booth relieved a dangerous situation by a timely kick. Everton made several promising onslaughts on Doig's charge, and once McDermott shot into the net, but the ball had previously been over the line by Sharp. A shot from McDermott was diverted at the expense of a corner, the referee spoke to following with Corrin for unfairly charging Doig. In the course of a vigorous attack by Sunderland Corrin was penalised for pushing, and the free kick caused the Everton defence some trouble. Half-time Everton nil, Sunderland 1. On resuming Everton were the first aggressive, but Sharp was too carefully watched to get in a centre while the visiting defence proved very reliable. Balmer twice stopped ugly rushes by the Sunderland left wing, and from a centre by Hardman, Wolstenholme's shot was wide of the post. Some of the referee's decisions did not pleasure a section of the crowd. Following a free kick Sunderland became dangerous, and after exciting exchanges in the goalmouth, Gemmill ended the tension by playing the ball the wrong side of the upright. A moment later, Kitchen fisted out, from Craggs, and it was becoming evident that Everton were playing a losing game, the forwards being completely out of gear. McDermott and Sharp indulged in some pretty passing, but Watson was too alert for the Everton outside right. There had been several instances during the game of feeling on the part of the players, and the culminated in a regrettable passage between McDermott and one of the Sunderland half-backs presumably Barrie. The latter deliberately kicked the Everton forward, and the referee immediately stopped the game, and after consulting the linesman, ordered Barries off the field. Hogg took up the centre half, position, and with only forwards Sunderland held their own. Doig and his backs survived a determined onslaught, and for a time play was confined to Everton's half. Free kicks were pretty frequent, and from one of these Corrin failed to utilise a nice opening. McCombie brought down Corrin most unfairly, indeed the game was robbed of much of the interest by reason of the dirty tactics resorted to by several of the players on both sides. Final result Everton Nil Sunderland 1.



November 16 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 9)

At Heywood, before 2,000 speatators. Dilly started for Everton, and matters were keenly fought out,. Dilly scored after ten minutes, and Rankin added a second from a cannon off Hodgekiss,. Interval Everton 2, Heywood nil. Play in the second half was again keenly contested, O'Hagan (2) Dilly (2), and Rankin scored for Everton, and Heywood scored from a corner on time, and Everton won by six goals to one. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wildman, and R.Balmer, backs, Taylor, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs, Rankin, Sheridan, Dilly, O'Hagan, and Simpson forwards.



November 16, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

As a general rule, when the Sunderland team visit's Liverpool, a capital game of football is witnessed, and more than once have the Wearsiders returned with the full quota of points. They accomplished the latter of these desirability's at Goodison Park on Saturday, but as for the former, it may be at once admitted that a worse game has not been seen on the ground this season. As long as the combatants were content to play the ball some capital work was witnessed, chiefly on the part of the visitors whose superiority was always palpable, but as the game progressed the football deteriorated in quality, and for some time in the second half consisted principally of continued hacking and back heeling an opponent. Varied by the Sunderland full backs occasionally whipping the feet of an Everton player from under him. The visitors were not altogether to blame for they play a vigorous game, and one which in some quarters might be designated as unduly rough, but there were several offenders on the home side and it is to be deplored that their half-concealed, and reprehensible tactics were not nipped in the bud at the start. The culminating point was reached after the interval when Barrie and McDermott came into contact with each other near the touch-line, and after an apparent interchange of words, the Sunderland centre-half kicked his opponent, the result being that, after consultation with the linesman, the referee ordered the delinquent off the field. After this incident the play degenerated into a rough-and-tumble scramble the Wearsiders especially losing their heads, and confining their attentions to their opponents instead of the ball. Fouls were frequently, and it seemed as if the contest would end in an undignified scramble, but gradually the feeling wore down, and the Sunderland ten simply made common backs of the Everton eleven. For teams of the standing of Everton and Sunderland the quality of play that was put forward for the delectation of the crowd was utterly unworthy of them, and though the Wearsiders backs were the greatest offenders in this respect, there were others on the home side equally culpable. To enter into minute details of the play would serve no useful purpose, for the Everton forwards never got going, and against the over-vigorous tactics of the visitors backs could make no headway whatever. Hogg scored for Sunderland after ten minutes play in the first half, a centre from Jackson furnishing him, with a rare opportunity, which was readily accepted. Everton never like equalising, and the best efforts of the side came from Corrin, and Sharp but Hogg proved equal to the few calls upon him. The second half was entered upon with Everton a goal in arrears, and the character of the play has already been described. In the closing stages the visitor's forwards simply did as they liked, and Kitchen experienced a sultary time, but managed to avert further disaster. Thus Everton sustained their third successive defeat, and their second home reverse, the causes for which in each case, singularly enough arose from the same source.

Everton defeat was due to an utter lack of combination amongst the forwards, who acted aimlessly and without purpose, whilst there was an absence of dash, in their movements which, never appeared likely to prevent a reverse. Corrin was a failure in the centre, and rarely attempted to keep the wings moving in concerted fashion, in fact his inclusion as leader of the front line was an experiment entirely without justification. In addition, his rushes were totally devoid of skill, and in some instance, the most notable of which was an ugly jump at Doig in the early part of the game, his play was not of the character one cares to see in football. The wingmen were completely off colour, and could seldom make headway, creditable bits of work being exceedingly rare, and taken as a line, the Everton front rank was wretchedly inept. At half Abbott accomplished some sterling work, and was the most conspicuous member of this division though Booth was at times effective, but Wolstenholme was frequently beaten, and did not enhance his reputation by indulgence in illegal methods in bringing up an opponent. Balmer was the most consistent player in the rear, for Murray was feeble in tackling and his returns were not nearly so accurate as those of his partner. Kitchen kept a capital goal, and made several clever saves, notably from Hogg, who ran clean through before shooting and two successive drives from Craggs and Bridgett whilst in the last ten minutes of the contest he was more keenly tested than at any other period of the game. As he was only beaten once character of his defence may be readily understood. The Sunderland forwards played a very fine game being keen on the ball, and when in possession making straight tracks for goal. Buckle on the extreme left was the principal factor in the majority of the raids on the Everton Citadel, and he gave the home right half a very anxious time for he almost invariably got the better of his opponent. Bridgett and Craggs were likewise dashing members of the attacking line, and Sunderland superiority was chiefly manifest here. The halves were a worrying trio, and it was unfortunate for Barrie that a solitary bit of indiscretion caused his retirement. For he had hitherto played a fair game. Further behind there was not the same cause for satisfaction for the full backs were not very particular as to the manner of dispossessing an Everton player, frequently and deservedly coming under the referee's notice. They imparted unnecessary vigour into their and merited marching orders more than their ill-starred colleague at half-back. Doig had little to do, but he accomplished a few smart clearances, and demonstrated his alertness by one pretty save from Sharp. It is to be hoped, however, that such another exhibition of bad tempered football will not be inflicted upon the Liverpool public for some considerable time.


London Daily News - Monday 16 November 1903

The meeting of these teams at Goodison Park attracted a crowd of 15,000 spectators. Everton were without Young and Settle, their places being taken by Corrin and Sheridan, while Watson again appeared for Sunderland. The game opened at a tremendous pace, Sunderland's atatckl being the smarter. Hogg scored for them after the left wing had done clever work. subsequently both goalkeepers were tested, but nothing further was obtained before the interval. Playof a vigorous order was seen after change of ends. Sunderland appeared to hold the advantage, and after Barrie -one of their players -had been ordered off they still held their own. Nothing more was done, however, Sunderland being left with a victory of one goal to none.


Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Wednesday 18 November 1903

"Correction" who sends neither name or address, writes;- "I should like to make a correction, about the goal that was scored at Everton on Saturday. It was Bridgett and not Hogg that received a pass from the left and scored. I hope I have notr intruded, as you see it will be correct." We reported on Saturday that Hogg was the scorer of the goal and on Monday, seeing that some papers credited Bridgett with the point, we made inquiries and were officially informed that our report was accurate. Accordingly, on Monday we made it clear that Hogg was the scorer and not Bridgett.


Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 20 November 1903

Colno will be opposed Bury at home, and with the strongest team they have had this season, and the advantages derived from being on their own ground are quite hopeful securing least a point. Bob Hunter will again appear at back, and Wolfe, who this week was transferred from Everton, will partner Ashcroft the right wing.



Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 20 November 1903

Everton will endeavour to break their run of reverses, but West Bromwich they will probably find the Albion bad to beat. The Goodison directors have recognised the mistake of leaving out Young in favour Corrin, and the former is reintroduced, while Settle is also expected to be available vice Sheridan. Unless these arrangements result in an appreciable improvement in the Everton attack the Lancastrians cannot hope to win.


Burnley Express - Saturday 21 November 1903

Colne have secured the transfer from Everton, of Fred Wolfe, the reserve right winger. He has not had much chnace this season in competition with Sharp, Rankin, and Sheridan. Wolfe is 21 years of age, stands 5ft 7ins, and weighs 12st 4lb. In all probability he will play today.


London Daily News - Monday 23 November 1903

Like most other places, the West Bromwich ground was visisted by a gale of wind on Saturday. Everton had the advantage of this in the first half, but the Albion soon pressed, and Brown sent in a shot which went outside. The visitors got away again, and Cook had to save twice from Hardman, who later on very nearly got a goal. However, nothing had been scored at the interval. The Albion left wing showed up very prominently after change of ends, Dorsett making some very fine runs. Niether side could get the mastery, and an evenly contested match resulted in a draw without any score. About 8,000 people watched the play.


November 23, 1903. The Liverpool Courier

Everton visited West Bromwich Albion on Saturday in order to fulfil their fixture with the Albion. Crelly, Young, and Settle, resumed their places in the team, while on the Albion side Cook, was in goal instead of Webb. About 8,000 spectators were present when the teams turned out as follows: - West Bromwich Albion: - Cook, goal Adams, and Pennington, backs, Nurse, Stevenson, and Hardly half-backs, Fenton, Simmons, Brown, Worton, and Dorsett, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen goal, W.Balmer and Crelly, backs Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Young Settle, and Hardman forwards. Referee W.Nunnerley. The Albion won the toss, and Young started for Everton, who speedily gained a corner, which was prettily placed. A tussle in the goalmouth caused the home defence some anxious moments, but relief was finely brought by Settle, who, in trying to head the ball into the net, put it the wrong side of the post. The Throstle gradually assumed the upper hands, and at once the Everton defence had plenty of work to do. At this period Balmer gave an excellent display, his kicking and tackling being very strong. The Everton repelled more than one determined attempt to get the ball into the net right back. Brown hit the bar with a stinging shot, the ball rebounding into play, and Balmer heading away. It was however, quickly returned by Hadley and once more Balmer interposed with his head, the leather going over the leather going over the line. The visitors now woke up, and a series of sudden rushes were made to their opponents half. Cook had to clear from Settle, and receiving the ball from McDermott, Young sent in a low swift shot which Cook fisted out with difficulty at the expense of a corner which yielded nothing tangible. The home side were now aggressive, and the spectators loudly cheered grand work by the left-wing. Dorsett put in a lovely centre, but Brown failed to meet it and a good chance went abegging. After midfield play Hardman was pulled up with a stinging shot. The custodian cleared his lines, although in so doing he had to concede a corner. This was placed too far down the field, and enabled the Albion to make headway. A foul against the home team brought the ball into dangerous proximity to Cook, who had to run out to save a fast low shot from Settle. An exciting rare between Sharp and Stevenson was the next feature of interest. The former was too quick for his opponents, and taking a flying shot the ball cannoned off Pennington and went off over the line. Nothing came of the corner, and for some little time neither side gained much advantage. Going away together the Everton forwards again pressed, only to find Cook a safe custodian. Some nice dribbling in which Simmons, and Fenton were conspicuous, was deservedly applauded by the spectators, and notwithstanding a vigorous effort by Crelly to repel the rush, Fenton got in a shot, which Kitchen kept out in brilliant style. A long kick by Balmer sent the ball to the toe of Young, who, however, was not allowed to proceed far when tackled he promptly passed out to Sharp, who raced off the other end, and finished by sending the ball over the bar. As the result of another attack, Young gave Cook a warm handful, Abbott meeting the return put in a low swift shot, and once again Cook had to clear. Still keeping the pressure they forced Adams to concede a corner. This was not too well placed, and was easily cleared. The interval arrived without neither side having scored.

Restarting, Albion fought hard to break through the defence, but their forwards showed a tendency to get offside their shooting, too, being erratic. Next the home defence conceded a couple of corners in rapid succession, neither of which proved of any avail. Smart tackling by Booth robbed Fenton of the ball just as he was becoming dangerous. Once again the Everton forwards by a grand effort carried the ball through all opposition to the very mouth of the home goal but the defence prevailed. For some time there was great excitement as the ball hovered round the Albion goalmouth, and had the custodian not been so safe, a goal must have followed. A foul against the visitors brought relief, and for some minutes honours were fairly even, the ball never crossing within a dozen yards of either goal. Crelly passed the leather to Abbott, who after running a few yards passed to Hardman. That player assisted by Settle, carried the ball along, and then Hardman swung it across, only for Young to meet it and send high over the crossbar. Play continued to be very fast, and the game was full of incidents. Once Sharp banged the ball against the crossbar, whence it rolled on to the top of the net. The game was exciting to the close, but nothing was scored, and the points were divided. Result West Bromwich nil, Everton nil.



November 23, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 10)

At Goodison Park. The home side had most of the play, Darwen's backs showing splendid defence. Rankin tried many shots, the interval arrived with no score. During the second half, Everton had the best of the exchanges, but bad shooting spoiled all their efforts and the game finished with no goals. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wildman, and Murray backs Taylor, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs, Rankin Sheridan, Dill O'Hagan, and Simpson, forwards.



November 23, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton on Saturday made some amends for their grievous disappointments, of the three preceding matches. The outcome of their visit to the Hawthorn's was that they divided the points with west Bromwich. This was a distinct improvement, upon the result of their last appearance at West Bromwich. On that occasion they were defeated by two goals to one, on Saturday although not a goal was scored, they had the satisfaction of adding one greatly desired point to their record. Considering the high wind, which prevailed throughout the whole of the proceedings, the game reached an commendable standard of merit, especially in the first half. Really it was during this period, when Everton, had to face the full force of the breeze, that they displayed to advantage, their abilities in each department, unfortunately, however when the side crossed over they committed tactical error of playing practically the same game, although the conditions were altogether different. Having the wind in their favour, one would have though that every possible chance of getting in a shot at goal would have been readily seized, and it was largely owing to the lack of judgement that the Evertonians had to rest content with a division of the honours. One rearely looks for a high-class exhibition of the game under conditions such as held away on Saturday, but those spectators that made the journey to the ground, must have had a feeling that they were simply rewarded for their support. Against the strong breeze the Everton forwards and halves display rare judgement in their movements, and their close passing was generally greatly admired. When the final stages were reached it was only to be expected that the vagaries of the wind would mininise their prospects of ultimate success in finding the net, at the same time, there was more than one occasion when the home custodian was a trifle lucky. The Everton left wing pair were frequently dangerous, and had Hardman not kicked the ball too far forward, preparatory in taking a shot, thus enabling the home custodian to run out, the chance were that a solid foundation to success might have been laid early on in the game. Meanwhile, the Throstles were pursuing totally different methods. The long kick, the rush, and the endeavour to break down the defence were always apparent and under the existing circumstances, were the more likely to bring about successfully results. In the Everton defence, however, they found a set of sturdy contestants, and when at the interval, they had derived but little advantage with having such a powerful factor, as the wind with them, it was generally conceded that the visitors had done exceptionally well in keeping their goal intact. Upon resuming, the play was for sometime of a very tame description. The visiting side did not appear to let themselves go, and their inability to take full advantage of their position, seemed to give confidence to the Albion, who subsequently offered the most strenuous resistance, for the most part of the play was confined to the Albion half of the field, and the fact that the Evertonians were not able to pierce the net, reflects ably upon the work of the home defenders. It was a game, in which the Everton half-backs might have materially added to their laurels, though it must not be inferred that their display was lacking in general efficiency. With the Albion backs and halves stopping at nothing whereby they might check the movements of the Everton forwards, it was not too much to expect that Wolstenholme, Booth, and Abbott would with the strong breeze behind them, take every opportunity at popping at goal when within range, especially on such a day when the elements of luck plays such an important part. The Everton forwards during the first half of the game gave a really clever exposition of the shoot passing game against the wind, and in the attacks that were incisive Settle, and Hardman played a prominent part, Young improved greatly upon his display at Owlerton a fortnight ago, and McDermott and Sharp completed a line that under ordinary conditions would have caused much anxiety to most defenders. The half backs with the exception that they might have tested the custodian more frequently acquitted themselves in creditable fashion, and Balmer and Crelly were rarely at fault in meeting the ugly rushes of the Albion forwards. Several capital shots were sent in at Kitchen, and he was unbeaten, reflects well upon his resourcefulness. On the Albion side, Dorsett was the mostly prominent forward, but this was due to the fact that on almost every occasion of an attack the ball was passed out to the left wing, his speed and accuracy in bribbling the ball, stamped him as a clever player, and many of his movements were the result of frequent attention from the centre forwards. Brown of Northampton-who created a very favourable impression. The halves and full backs were indomitable workers, and Cook's work in goal left nothing to be desired.


Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 28 November 1903

In terribly wet weather this match was played at Goodison Park before 8,000 spectators. Small Heath had their strongest side, while Everton played Taylor, and Corrin for McDermott and Hardman. Considering the adverse conditions the game was contested at a great pace. Sharp converted a penalty against Stokes, and Leonard equalised with a capital shot, while Abott headed through for Everton from a corner. Interval; Everton two goals; Small Heath, one. In the second half Everton had by far the best of the game, their forwards and half-backs playing a brilliant game. Robinson kept a fine goal, but was beaten first by Young, and then by Booth, while Taylor added a fifth. Everton had all the play to the finish. Result; Everton 5, Small Heath 1.


November 30, 1903. The Liverpool Courier

Miserably depressing conditions prevailed for this match at Goodison Park. All the morning, rain had been falling but half-an-hour before time for the commencement it came down in torrents and the darkness was such that it seemed to be out of the question that a start would be made with the game. However, just before half-past two the light became somewhat better, and in a heavy downpour the teams turned out as follows: - Everton: - Kitchem goal, W.Balmer and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp Taylor Young, Settle, and Corrin forwards. Small Heath: - Robinson goal, Wassell and Stokes backs, Beer, Wigmore, and Howard, half-backs, Athersmith, Green Jones Leonard, and Field, forwards. Referee H.Boldson. Small heath started in the presence of some 5,000 spectators, and Everton were at once prominent on the left Corrin dashing down and centring finely, with the result that Settle sent just out side the upright. Fine work on the Everton right ensued, and Sharp centred to Settle, the latter bring Robinson to his knees with a fast low drive from close quarters. Small Heath retaliated and Crelly frustrated a fine burst on the left when the movement was becoming dangerous. Although repulsed, the visitors on the right, Athersmith and Green being prominent, but they were prevented getting in a shot owing to Balmer. The visitors for some time had rather the better of the exchanges. Wigmore being particultary prominent in the half-back line. Athersmith got in a couple of capital centres which tested Balmer's capabilities, but he cleared well, Everton raced away, the only outcome being a shot from Settle, which was easily cleared by Robinson. A miskick by Balmer let in Field, but Crelly came to the rescue, and after Kitchen had kicked away in great style, the home side made a vigorous attack. In the course of this, Young was dashing through when Stokes handled within the penalty area. The referee acceded to the claims for a penalty kick and Sharp being entrusted with the kick, made no mistake, and opened Everton's score. The Heatherns made a raid only to be easily beaten back, and following vigorous efforts by the home vanguard, Corrin sent high over the bar. For some time play was confined to midfield, in spite of determined efforts by the visiting left. Gradually the Evertonians asserted themselves, and an attempt by Settle, produced a corner, which led to exciting exchanges in front of Robinson. That custodian, however, was on the alert, and punted away cleverly. The visiting forwards again asserted themselves, and this time with effect, for as the result of a centre from Beer, Balmer missed his kick, and Leonard equalised with a shot, which gave Kitchen no chance whatever. By this time the light had greatly improved, while the rain was not so heavy. Everton put on a spurt after this reverse, and on one occasion Corrin had hard lines, with a shot which struck the upright. On the heavy ground the Heathens showed up remarkably well. There was not much science about their display, but certainly they adopted the right tactics on such a day with the result that they gave the Everton defenders plenty to do. At last the home right took up the running and from a corner which Sharp forced off Stokes. Abbott headed a second gaol. Restarting to the Heathens put on pressure, and after Wolstenholme had cleared close in Kitchen saved, a high shot from Athersmith. A free kick against Leonard relieved the pressure, and the Everton right wing got down. Taylor shooting a yard wide. Corrin had hard lines a moment later, a fine screw shot cannoning out of the goal off one of the backs. A corner fell to Everton, but the ball was sent behind, and capital play by the visiting right wing endangered the Everton goal, Balmer and Abbott were, however, equal to the call made upon them, and Kitchen was not troubled. Half-time Everton 2 Small Heath 1. Restarting before about 7,000 spectators, Everton at once took up the attack, but Young was sadly at fault with his shot. Though temporarily beaten back they returned on the left, and after Corrin had beaten a couple his course was stayed by a foul. Once the ball hovered for some time in front of Robinson, but through it could not be propelled. Soon afterwards the pressure exerted by Everton was rewarded, for after Corrin had taken the ball down nicely Young planted the it into the net, out of the reach of Robinson. This success was hailed with tremendous cheers. Play opened out more, and under the circumstances there was some very fine kicking by the defenders on both sides. Indeed, the pace was quite exceptional, and the Spectators in spite of the depressing conditions, were kept fully interested. A capital bit of play by Corrin led to Taylor bringing Robinson to his knees, the ball being cleared by one of the backs, before Taylor could get in a second shot. Balmer with a long shot forced a corner, which was not ultised, and at the other end Green shot into the net, after offside had been given. Everton continued to attack in brilliant style, and after a corner placed by Balmer, Booth scored a fourth goal. Taylor headed a fifth goal, and Everton ran out very easy winners by five goals to one.



November 30 1903. The Liverpool Mercury

To the great delight of their long suffering followers, of the Everton, scored in their fixture with Small Heath and thus to some extent credited themselves with a rather astonishing performance. The last occasion on which an Everton forward obtained a goal was October 17, when McDermott succeeded in beating the Bury custodian on the following Saturday, at Blackburn Wolstehome and Booth netted, since which a solitary point has accured, so that the five that were gained at the expense of the Midlanders in the game which under notice came in the nature of a mild surprise. There was two changes in the constitution of the Everton front rank, Hardman being given a rest after his arduous labours in connection with a recent examination, but McDermott was disposed for Taylor, and this change proved a decided success. About a quarter of an hour to the commencement the light became so bad, with the accompanying rain descending in torrents, that it appeared probable the match would have to be postponed. However the conditions improved before the players appeared, but the closing stages of the contest was carried in a gloom which almost hid the men from view. Fortunately for Everton, the issue had already been played outside the region of doubt; and there could be no mistaking the superiority of the home eleven in the second half. Before the interval there was little to choose between the contending teams, and although Everton led the way in scoring, through Sharp, who successfully negotiated a penalty kick the visitors equalised with a very pretty goal, by Leonard. The Heathens were rather unfortunate in having several creditable efforts, charged down but just as the limit of the first half reached Sharp forced a corner, and Abbott headed the second goal, and his first of the season. Afterwards there was only one team in the running, and the Heathens defence was subjected to severe pressure. Young was responsible for a third score, after Taylor had made a sorry attempt to perform a similar feat, and the Everton centre was decidedly luckily in being thereby placed favourably. After a series of attacks Taylor went past the backs but Robinson saved cleverly and dealt likewise with a terrific drive from Sharp. Small Heath only got away at rare intervals, though Kitchen had twice to exert himself fully to get rid of difficult shots from the right wing. Then Booth put on a fourth goal, and from a scrimmage, Taylor appeared to be responsible for a fifth. Though in the darkness it was almost impossible to distinguish the men. Thus Everton gained a decisive victory, which truth to tell, was only what they deserved, for taking the game throughout, they were vastly superior to their opportents in effective work. Chief credit for this one-sided success must be awarded to the Everton half-backs, who gave a really fine display all along the line. Booth has recently been seen to such great advantage as in this match and he repeatedly broke up the attempts at concerted movements by the Midlanders' front line. But all the members of the division kept, splendidly in touch with their forwards, placing the ball well ahead and to the position where it was likely to be of the greatest assistance. Everton's superiority was clearly manifest here and their excellent methods, fairly wore down the attacks of the visitors, who at the finish were a well-beaten team. The forwards showed more dash and determination than has been the case fore some weeks past, and Taylor's inclusion was a great success. The inside right gave Sharp some beautiful passes, and, as of yore, invariably brought out the speedy qualities of his partner by judicious placing. Young showed signs of improvement in the centre and the combination of Settle and Corrin was exceedingly effective. The former was in a pleasing vein. Giving the extreme winger every opportunity of getting clear away, and Corrin, utilised the chances he got very capably. His centre were always dangerous and outside left is undoubtedly his natural position in the forward line. In honours for his kicking was vigorous and he was rarely beaten by the opposing wing. Crelly played a good game, and Kitchen was never at fault, though owing to the efficient work of the men in front of him, he was rarely fully extended. His most difficult shot came near the finish when, evidently content with their big lead, and remaining players on the Everton side eased off somewhat. Small Heath were seen at their best, in the first half, and had the Everton defenders showed any signs of wavering, the Midlanders must have forged ahead during this period. Green and Athersmith were very clever on the right wing the former fairly revelling in works, while the outside players sprinted and centred with a dash and accuracy that were strongly reminiscent of his earlier days, with the Villa team. Jones was only a moderate centre, for Booth allowed him no latitude, and the left wing was erratic, Leonard and Field only decasionally exhibiting the form which had been anticipated from them. At Half-backs, Wigmore was always in the thick of the fray and led the way in many a dashing attack, but the wings had more than they could manage to keep in check, and frequently came off second best in their tussles with the home forward. Further behind, Wassell defended very stubbornly, at full back but Stokes was not so successful, and Roberts was often left to clearout the invaders. He saved splendidly from Taylor and Sharp, and despite the big score against him, kept a goal. He had no chance to stop the shots that beat him and saved other's that might have baffled a less-capable keeper. The complete falling away of the Heathens in the second half was no doubt, due to the vigour of their exertions prior to the interval, which left them afterwards, in a somewhat parlous state. Everton on the other hand, kept up the pace throughout and, under conditions like these, which prevailed throughout the afternoon, their work was such to demonstrated the complete fitness of each player.









November 1903