Everton Independent Research Data


November 5, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Reverse of pleasant was Manchester United's initial League experience at Goodison-park. Once before they had figured in a cup tie at Everton's magnificent enclosure, for they met the Blues in an English Cup tie in February, 1903 and were defeat by three goals to one. On Saturday they fared even worse. Everton again put on three goals, but their opponents were denied even a solitary scoring point. Successful as they had proved away from home, one scarcely expected that this ex-second Leaguers would be able to extend the League leaders. The opinion was amply justified by results, and had it not been for a brilliant exhibition of goalkeeping by Moger, the chances are that United would have returned to Manchester with a much heavier defeat. The fixture was scarcely productive of an enjoyable trial of strength. Certain of the referee's offside decision furnished curious roading of the rules, and the frequency with which one or other of the United backs deliberately placed opposing forwards offside certainly detracted from the interest and pleasure of the encounter.
The weather was delightfully fine when the game started, though in the latter stages it became misty, and one of the best crowds of the season-fully 25,000 –assembled at Goodison-park. Naturally enough, Everton relied upon the team ‘bat triumphed at Burnden-park and Manchester United made only one change, this being the substitution at inside left of Yates for Picken, who was not feeling in the best of health. The Blues evidently intended to make their position safe as early as possible. They started in the manner of perspective champions their passing was neat and well timed, and they gave one the impression from the outset, that they were a winning team. The game was quite young –just about seven minutes had elapsed –when one of Sharp characteristic tuns and centres, Settle had placed the ball past Moger. But their success did not stay here. One goal, was not enough to make the issue safe. Consequently the players gave of their best and it was not long before Young got in a hard drive at Moger, who only partially cleared, with the result that George Wilson nipped in, and put on a second goal. Up to this time the play was pretty to watch, but whether it was that the Blues were satisfied with their lead, the same excellent standard was not maintained. The Manchester United attack exhibited some pretty midfield work, but that was all that could be said about them. They were singularity inept when in the vicinity of the goalmouth, and thus Everton led at the interval by 2 goals to nil. The second half was not of an exhilarating description. The United forwards could not take advantage of opening, and except for a brilliant goal by Young, the giant United custodian would not allow other capital shots to take effect. Everton got no more than their efforts deserts in winning by 3 goals clear goals.
Probably the outstanding feature of the play was the exhibition of goalkeeping given by Moger. Unquestionably his was a masterly performance, although he had to acknowledge defeat on three occasions. He used his great reach to admirable advantage, and moreover, all his work displayed methods and judgement. Certainly he saved some shots which only a man of his stature could have coped with. Scott, on the other hand, had little of a serious nature to contend with. He was well covered by his backs –the brothers Balmer –and was confronted by a set of forwards who, when the pinch came, seemed afraid of having a shot at goal. The Everton halves were all good, with Taylor perhaps the most prominent of the trio. Young was a capital pivot, despite the disadvantage under which he played on account of the frantic efforts of the opposing backs to place him offside, but the star performer of the front line with Sharp, who led both Holden and Bell a merry dance, and whose dashes along the wing and accurate centres were worthy of an international. Although somewhat slow at times Settle judgement was of great value, and Wilson partnered him greatly until he had to leave the field through having received a nasty kick, whilst Bolton was responsible for some clever footwork. Of the United representative Benthorn, Roberts, and Wall were the most effective, but the forward line will have to exhibit much more liveliness in front of goal if the club is to obtain a respectable position in the League table at the end of the season. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer backs, Booth, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle and G. Wilson, forwards. Manchester United: - Moger, goals, Benthorn, and Holden backs, Downie, Roberts, and Bell, forwards. Young, Wonbwell, Pedie, Yates, and Wall, forwards. Referee A. J. Barker.

Athletic News - Monday 05 November 1906
The Stoke Football Club have just transferred Fred W. Rouse, their best known forward, to Everton for very a large fee. Frederick William Rouse was born at Cranford, Middlesex, on November 28, 1882, and since that date has grown until he stands 5ft. 10 and half in., weighs over 13st., and plays with the honest energy several horse-power. By the way, Rouse is well acquainted with horse fresh, as his father has been a dealer in those noble steeds. He graduated with Southall, Wycombe Wanderers, and Shepherd’s Bush. Towards the of the campaign of 1902-03 Mr. Bellamy, we believe, discovered Rouse at Shepherd's Bush, and took him to Grimsby, where he stayed for some considerable time, being eventually transferred to Stoke, for whom he has been an altogether admirable player and a well-conducted professional.  Of course, until leaving Shepherd’s Bush he was an amateur. During his association with the club in the Potteries one famous organization inquired about his transfer. In order to check these overtures Stoke asked £l, 000 for his transfer. To their surprise, this sum was not repudiated as monstrous, and a conference to discuss matters was suggested at York. Thereupon Stoke declined further negotiations, as at that time their gates were satisfactory. Twice has Rouse assisted the English League against the Irish League, and during his recent visit to Belfast, Stoke had reason to believe something was said to Rouse concerning the advisability of changing the colour of the that jersey that he wore. But Stoke had not sufficient evidence to report the club concerned for illegally approaching him. Feeling, however, that the player had been unsettled, it was decided to allow events to take their course, especially as the support accorded Stoke by the people of the Potteries rendered some such course of action almost a necessity. Everton, Liverpool, and Manchester United were anxious to secure his assistance, and on Friday he was transferred to The Cupholders, for whom he should be a tower of strength.  It should be understood that neither Everton nor Liverpool had taken any steps without consulting Stoke.  As Manchester United were, it is avowed, willing to give 650 pounds for Rouse’s transfer, Everton had to draw a cheque in excess of that amount by 100 pounds. . Even so, one good gate at Goodison Park will reimburse the enterprising Evertonians.

Athletic News - Monday 05 November 1906
By Junius
Everton's victory over United was their sixth successive League triumph, during which they have scored fifteen goals and only had four registered against them. These figures speak accurately of the strength of the team, both in attack and defence, and indeed the players seem to have jumped into best form. Judging from their displays during the last month they have deservedly attained the position of League leaders, for they have shown a high standard of football. The resources of Everton may be best understood from the fact that they decisively beat the Clayton team without such capable exponents as Crelley, Makepeace, and Hardman, while the news of their latest capture—Rouse, the Stoke inside right-makes another position in the League eleven doubly provided for by an expert player. The directors must be awarded credit for so persistently preparing for future emergencies.

Athletic News - Monday 05 November 1906
By Jacques
There was one man who above all deserved the highest praise at Goodison Park on Saturday. Constantly he was in the most desperate situations, and yet by his pluck, his resource, his cleverness, and his unfailing good judgment only three times could his opponents get the ball past him. That man was the Manchester United goalkeeper, Moger. Tall, thin, keen featured, and quick in action, he watched the ball as it fled from wing to wing of the Everton forward line with anxious eyes. Now saving from Sharp’s deadly right foot, now fisting down Young’s rapid drives, now meeting Settle’s quick, sharp, efforts, now parrying a big shot by Wilson, he was always ready, quick, and willing, and I hope that the fact that three shots passed him did not disturb his sleep. There was nothing like Moger goalkeeping in the game. He and he alone, stood between them and a record reverse. As it was Everton won easily enough by three goals to none, a victory they well deserved.
On their present form I should like to know who is going to beat Everton. Their forwards are splendid, their half backs excellent, and their backs good. Wilson and Settle played a beautiful game. Young was trustful and clever, and Bolton keen on the ball, but best of all was John Sharp, who by his fleetness and his dexterity laid the foundation for the victory. Bell was a good half-back, and Richard Holden a young back with winged feet, but the pair could not stop Sharp, fed as he was by a partner with whom he seemed to have a perfect understanding. Time after time he showed his heels to his opponents and placed the ball for his comrades with the precision of the master foot.
The Manchester forwards did not play a bad game. The fact of the matter was that the United half-backs were thoroughly beaten, and the Everton right wing had a gala day. The first goal came at the end of five minutes after constant pressure by the Everton forwards. Settle fastening on the ball in a scrimmage and  shooting through he was bowled over. This was a clever goal, because the opportunity was rapidly relicensed. Another fifteen minutes went by with the home forwards having all the best of the game, and then Wilson crowned an all-round attack with a second goal. The United could not imitate their opponents, though Wall. Wombwell, and Peddie tried very hard. Twice in quick succession Wall, who gave Booth a good deal more than he could do at times, placed the ball well in front, but Scott saved from Peddie and Wombwell. Once the latter, who quick and smart in his footwork, broke right through, but his shot, though fast, was not true. So the interval arrived, Moger having saved a number of rare shots and being responsible for the fact that the score was not larger. The second half was much the same, the Everton line being altogether too good for the opposing defence. Moger saved his goal again and again when his backs were beaten, and only once struck his colours to a grand drive from Young, who worked hard for his success and stood a lot of buffetting. Sometime before the close Wilson was injured by Arthur Young, and though he once returned to the field he finally retired. He had played well. 
The Manchester forwards at times showed combination in the second half, but they were poor in front of goal, several easy chances being missed, and the only time they found the net Wombwell was offside. The weak spots in the forward line were at inside left and outside right, where Yates and Young were not successful. Wall was again the best forward, though he was not looked after by his comrades as he ought have been, while Wombwell was quick and clever. Peddie worked hard all through. The half backs were a beaten lot, Downie being the best of the trio. Roberts was far below form and Bell all at sea.  Bonthron was the better back. I am told that Holden has an ankle that has not recovered from an injury, and that he is not doing himself any good by his anxiety to appear in the team. Everton were splendid.  Sharp was, of course, the star, but the other four forwards all played extremely well. Young was trustful and keen, Settle dour and clever.  Wilson, cool, swift, and dexterous, and Bolton a quiet, clever worker.  The half-backs were sound, though, in the second half especially, the United forwards seemed to beat them oftener and without effort.  The Balmers played well, but Scott once or twice did not seen oversafe.  Perhaps that was due to the fact that a shot was to him a somewhat rear event.  Manchester United; Morger; Bonthron, Holden; Downie, Roberts, Bell; Young, Wombwell, Peddie, Yates, and Wall.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (W), Balmer (R.); Booth, Taylor (Captain), Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and Wilson (G).  Referee; A.J. Barker, Hanley. 

November 5, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 8)
Everton gained a handsome victory over Manchester United at Manchester on Saturday, but it can hardly be said that they showed any marked superiority over the home side. The score in their favour was 2 goals to 1, and that they capture both the points was due to a great measure to the fine goalkeeping of Sloan, who was found plenty of work, particularly in the second half. All the scoring was done in the first portion. Pretty play by the Everton forwards led to Graham scoring a fine goal, but Williams equalised. Then Cooke gave the visitors the lead, which they held to the finish. True Sloan was once beaten, but the goal was disallowed for offside, and a hard-fough and exciting second half was unproductive of a legitimate point. As already stated, Sloan kept goal well, and was admirable covered by his backs. The halves, as usual were sound, while Graham. Jones and Cooke were conspicuous among a fine forward line. Indeed, Everton was voted one of the best Lancashire Combination teams to visit Manchester for some time. The home club gave a good account of themselves, and taking the run of the game all through were perhaps somewhat unfortunate in not drawing level. Seeing that the Manchester team included quite a number of men who have assisted the League team this season, Everton are entitled to considerable credit for their victory. Everton: - Sloan, Hill, and Stevenson backs, Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson, half-backs, Thomas, Graham Jones, Cooke, and Butler, forwards.

Famous Player Transferred.
Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser - Friday 09 November 1906
F. W. Rouse, the well-known forward, has been transferred to the Everton club from Stoke at a substantial transfer fee, said to be about £600. Rouse is well-built man. Standing 5ft. 10In, high, and weighing about 12st. A forward of the bustling type. Rouse is deadly shot, and, he can play in any inside position, the Everton forward line will strengthened his inclusion.

November 12, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton's triumphant record since September 22 nd received a check at Stoke on Saturday. After winning six matches in succession it was scarcely anticipated that the Potters would be able to vanquish the League leaders. Yet a club which in 12 games had only scored 11 goals and obtained six points managed to do the trick. After previous disappointments this turn in the fortune of the club was intchsely pleasing to Stoke's supporters. More especially was this the case in view of the fact that their victory was achieved after having parted with their star forward Rouse –curiously enough to the very club which met them on Saturday. The Potters have still life in them, and if science is not too prominent a feature of their play the deficiency is more than counter balanced by the earnestness and dash which they impart to their work. With L.R. Roose again in goal, Stoke should soon make their way up the League table. The Welsh International unquestionably had not a little to do with the success of his side.

Athletic News - Monday 12 November 1906
By Onward.
It was a poor tribute to the sportsmanship of the public of North Staffordshire, when only 8.000 people turned out at the Victoria ground on Saturday to greet a famous team like Everton—a team which holds the English Cup, and at the present time shows the way to nineteen other clubs in the First Division tourney. The Stoke directors set at nought the old saw which warns "not to swop horses when crossing a stream.” for they played George Baddeley at centre-half for the first time since his avocation with the first team, and brought in the old Wolverhampton Wanderer, Whitehouse, as his right flank man. But Stoke considered themselves stronger than for weeks past, for had they not the prince goalkeepers, Leigh Richmond Roose, once more guarding the breach. The crowd gave him quite an ovation when he took the field. Everton decided not to risk George Wilson, who had been injured the week previous against Manchester United, so that we had the familiar Hardman and Settle left-wing, whilst Crelley took his accustomed place, to the exclusion of the younger Balmer.
From the outset it was apparent that Everton were not to be allowed to wrest the spoil's without a struggle by Stoke. There were several sparking attacks by the Everton advance line in the early stages, but the Stoke defenders offered a most resolute resistance, and that sturdy little man from Rusbon, Lloyd Davies, was mightily cheered for his grand clearances. Roose, too, showed capital judgment on several occasions in leaving his goal, and one robbery of Hardman was particularly cool and daring. The half-backs on both sides played a great part in the struggle, and most of the game was desperately fought out towards the centre of the field. Scott, however, was found more real work than his former club-mate at the other end, and when Stoke initial success came at the end of half an-hour’s play it was thoroughly deserved. Holford was seen threading his way down the centre, with Taylor in close attendance. When within ten yards of the Everton goal the Stoke captain shook off the attentions of the Everton centre-half by deftly touching the ball back to Capes, and the inside-left completely beat Scott with a ground shot, which passed about half a yard inside the posts. Some of the best play of the day followed this incident, and both Scott and Roose availed themselves of opportunities to demonstrate that they stand in the front rank of keepers. The Everton custodian was superb in his clearance of a shot from Miller, and when nine persons out of ten on the ground thought that Settle had equalized the scores Roose brought off a save which can only be scribed as wonderful. This was close to the interval, when Stoke crossed over a goal to the good.
In the second"45” the Stoke team showed a confidence which their lead evidently inspired, and although Everton never gave up the struggle, it cannot be said that they ever flattered their followers that they would recover the lost ground. Burgess and Davies kicked wildly on several occasions, but their mistakes were always covered by Roose, who was as safe as the Bank of England. Holford missed a glorious chance when he had beaten the Everton backs and was only five yards from Scott, but any uncertainty which might have existed as to the issue was dispelled by a clear cut goal from Arrowsmith two minutes from the finish. In a tussle between Holford and Crelley for possession the Everton back came to the ground, and whilst he lay prone Arrowsmith ran swiftly in and dribbled the ball to within a few yards of Scott. Taking a quick sight of the goal, the inside right shot hard and low right out of the reach of the keeper. It was a delightful goal. The Everton players appealed that the goal should have been struck off because Crelley lay injured, but the circumstances occurred in a few seconds, and there would have been scant justification for the referee stopping the play. So Stoke won on their merits by two goals to none. STUBBORN FIGHTERS
Stoke won principally because they were stubborn fighters and although the display of the team was not by any means perfect, it goes without saying that there was a considerable improvement all round. Roose was quite at the top of his form, and that superb save within a minute of the close of the first half had a great deal to do with balancing the scales of victory. Had Everton crossed over on equal terms there might have been a very different tale. Burgess and Davies were rather inclined to be wild in the second half, but neither could be blamed for any glaring error. Baddeley at the start seemed at sea in his new position, but he improved wonderfully, and in the second half was quite a potent factor. That Whitehouse and Sturgess both did more than creditably is proved by the fact that comparatively little was seen of either Sharp or Hardman. Although Holford led the forward line with spirit, and showed his colleagues a commendable example in energy, the principal honours in attack were carried away by Capes and Arrowemith. The veteran played a splendid game, characterized by pluck, resource, and sound judgment, and it is giving him high praise to say that he was the leading forward on the field. The youthful recruit from Coventry, Arrowsmith, improves with his continued association with first-class football, and is fast developing into a most dangerous inside forward. 
Everton fell below the high standard of form which has placed them in their present position in the League. Mainly they lost because the weakness of the forwards threw extra labour on the intermediate and back divisions. Sharp and Hardman got is very few dangerous centres, and the inside men lacked their usual incisiveness. The half-back line was the best part of the team, and Taylor, evidently having made up his mind to watch Holford, fulfilled his mission excellently. Little fault could be found with Balmer and Crelley, and Scott was excellent in goal. Stoke.—L. R. Roose; Burgess, Davies (Llyod), Whitehouse, Baddeley, Sturgess; Fielding, Arrowsmith, Holdford, Capes, and Miller.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (W.), Crelley; Booth, Taylor (Captain), Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and H.P. Hardman.  Referee; H. Pollitt, Manchester. 
Pleasant conditions prevailed, but the attendance could not be regarded as satisfactory. The good people of Stoke are not too enthusiastic when matters from a playing point of view are going against them, but Saturday's brilliant victory should influence them in furnishing adequate support to the old club. The absence of Rome was not appreciably felt, and from the start Holford set his side a fine example in the way in which he worked with whole-hearted determination. Everton who played Hardman for Wilson, and Crelly for the younger Balmer, had the benefit of a fairly strong breeze in the opening half, and for some time the advantage undoubtedly rested with them. Somehow or another they could not get into their proper stride, the Stoke halves adopting worrying tactics which upset many efforts at combination. As the contest proceed Stoke improved wonderfully, and a few minutes from the interval the veteran Capes his side the lead with a well judged shot quite out of Scott's reach. After this Roose had a particularly warm time of it, but he was not to be caught napping. How he managed to dispose of a couple of warm shots from Abbott, and Settle is not easy to explanation. Anyhow he did. We always expect something extra ordinary from the Welsh custodian. In the second half Stoke dominated the play much more then they had done in the earlier stages and the Blues never looked like pulling the game out of the fire. It was however, reserved for the last minute of play for Stoke to put on their second goal. Arrowsmith running though and scoring after Crelly had been brought to earth. Thus Everton lost by two goals to nil. They scarcely deserved to be beaten by this margin, but Stoke's pluck and energy were value for a couple of useful points.
Everton's display was disappointing. They did not seen the same team that we have seen in recent matches. There were not a few fine movements, but the attack was by no means in the happiest vein. True Roose, made at least three magnificent saves, when a goalkeeper of ordinary class would have been beaten, but all he is a member of the team, and surely none know his qualifications better than his former Everton comrades, it was one of those off day for the Everton forwards. Settle perhaps was the pick of the quintette. Inasmuch as the most dangerous shots came from him. The halves could not be blamed for the reverse, each of the trio battling desperately against the lively Stoke forwards. Scott performed creditably, and little fault could be found with the backs. On the Stoke side Holford was quite a success in the centre forward position. To a large extent the credit of both goals belong to him. As already said Roose already limping was a great keeper and Llody Davies was the better of the two backs. The halves rendered their forwards admirable assistance. It was due to the splendid spirits of determination, which prevailed rather than to individual excellent that stokes obtained their victory.
Teams: - Stoke City: - Roose, goal, Burgess, and Davies, backs, Whitehouse, Baddeley, and Sturgess, half-backs, Fielding, Arrowsmith, Holford Capes, and Miller forwards. Everton: - Scott, goals, W.Balmer, Crelly,backs, Booth, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Referee H. Pollitt.

November 12, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 9)
Everton turned out such a powerful team at Goodison-park on Saturday that Darwen's chance of success seemed very remote. As it happened, however, they ran the Blues to a goal being just beaten by the odd goal in five. The exchanges in the first half were fairly even, though Sloan had a great amount of work and came out of the ordeal well. Graham scored in the first minute, there being no further additions till just on half-time, when D. Wilson got in a grand run full half the length of the field, and beat Lill with a splendid shot. A minute later Rouse –Everton's latest acquisition –received from Wilson and beat Lill again, the scoring efforts of Everton being the only time when the goalkeeper was really tested. Darwen were thus three goals down at half-time, and it was solely owing to Sloan's efforts that Darwen were unable to notch a goal or two. In the second portion, the game was fairly even, and in the semi-darkness Heywood scored. Then Everton were awarded a penalty, but Graham banged the ball at Lill, who easily saved. Edgar Chadwick scored just before the finish and Darwen were thus just beaten. For the winners, Sloan played a grand game, one save when he ran out and took the ball from Crook's toes being marvellous. Srettell was the better back, Stevenson miskicking badly. Black was the pick of the halves, while the forwards, Graham, Rouse, and Wilson were the strong men in a good forward line. Rose was well watched, but on every opportunity ‘he finished the ball out either to Butler of Donnachie in fine style, besides making many dashes for goal. Darwen was best represented by Lill in goal, who could not be blamed for any of the shots that beat him; Duckworth and Derbyshire were capable backs, who got through a great deal of work in splendid fashion. Thompson was the best half, and hung on to Rouse all the afternoon, while the forward Chadwick and Booth formed a strong wing, the old Everton man getting a grand reception and playing exceptionally well for a veteran. The other forwards also did good service, and Darwen were rather unlucky to lose.
Everton: - Sloan, Strettell, and Stevenson, backs, Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson, half-backs, Donnachie, Graham, Rouse, D. Wilson, and Butler, forwards.

November 15, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 10)
The above fixture was decided at Atherton at Atherton yesterday. The home team immediately assumed the aggressive, and after some play in the visitors half Williams grazed the upright. Everton retaliated strongly, and Jones shot in, Hewitt Hewitt effecting a clever clearance. Atherton resumed the attack, and Sloan, in the visitors goal gave a brilliant display. He was however, defeated by Tonge. A little later Jones equalised. After a little even play, Atherton allowed their goal to be easily captured, Jones scoring a simple goal, from Beattie's centre. Half-time Atherton 1, Everton 2. The second half though splendidly contested greatly favoured the homesters, and the game terminated. Atherton 4 goals, Everton 2.

Athletic News - Monday 19 November 1906
BY Junius
Everton showed no trace of Ioss of form in their match with the Rovers, which had been feared after the defeat at Stoke. Rouse made his first appearance with his new club under anything but happy auspices.  He was asked to fill the extreme the position, as Sharp was unable to play owing to an affected throat, and whatever his capabilities are as an inside forward. It is evident the outside-right is not his place. Another player Black, was also tried with the League team for the first time this season, and proved a great success.  His possessions a cool confident style- somewhat too cool, perhaps and inclined to slowness-but he does combine with his forwards, and gives the impression of becoming a most capable Leaguer.  With Sharp away I thought Donnachie would have been afforded another chance, but recently even with the Reserves, and it is evident this player has performed very moderately even with the Reserves, and it is evident that the club will have to look elsewhere for a satisfactory understudy for the outside right position.  Even with Crelley, Booth, Makepeace and Sharp absent in the Rovers match, Everton could not be said to be feebly represented, but they could well do with another speedy outside right. 

Athletic News - Monday 19 November 1906
By Junius
After the unexpected downfall of the Cupholders at Stoke, some curiosity was evinced amongst the Everton supporters whether the lapse was but transitory or likely to prove more lasting in character. All doubts were removed by the display against the Rovers, who were beaten more readily than the score of two clear goals would seem to denote. There was attendance of about 15,000 to welcome the visitors  many of whom came from Blackburn, but these latter had few opportunities of venting their enthusiasm. On the directors’ stand were the Lord Mayor of Liverpool and the Lady Mayoress, and the Hon. Arthur Stanley, together with a party from Knowlsey.  Unfortunately for Everton, Sharp was unable to play, and Rouse was deputed to fill the outside position, where only once before, and that in minor match, had he figured previously. He was not a success, as was only to be expected. The Rovers had to rearrange their full-backs owing to Cowell being unfit, and Crompton crossed over to the left wing, thereby allowing Cameron to operate with him.
The first half went all in favour of Everton, and had their forwards taken a tithe of the chances the Rovers’ record would have been sadly tarnished. Everton’s two goals emanated from free kicks, the first being awarded owing to Martin being pulled up for off-side.  Personally, I thought this a bad decision, and when the ball was well placed by Balmer to Young, who promptly scored, my sympathies went out to the visitors.  The second was the result of a foul against Wilson, who brought down Young illegally, and this time Settle pounced upon the free kick, and netted.  Beyond Chadwick’s dashing work, there was nothing particularly entrancing about the Rovers’ attack, and though, in the second half, the visitors were able to claim a greater share of the aggression, they were never so successful as their opponents in obtaining likely vantage points for scoring.  Hardman was in brilliant mood, and almost irrepressible during the later stages, thereby providing Rouse with a perfect chance, which, along with many other opportunities, was thrown away.
Thus Everton won by two clear goals, and there was no doubt their superiority.  In only one position was any weakness displayed, that, as already stated, being on the extreme right.  All the other players showed capital football, and the only drawback to an absolutely satisfactory display by the forwards was the inaccurate and injudicious shooting of Young and Bolton.  Settle was the pick of the front line, his passing being delightful.  He gave Hardman many of the openings the amateur dearly likes to deal with, and the pair proved too clever for Cameron and Wolstenholme.  Hardman never seemed to tire, and secured opportunities by sheer persistency.  Bolton played better than I have seen him this season; his placing of the ball was marked by commendable judgement, and had Sharp been there I fancy the Rovers’ defence would have been sorely harassed.  Rouse could not intermingle, and Bolton had to divert most of his attention inwards, instead of right forward.  Young opened out the play in his best style, and the only wonder is that more goals did not follow.  Black was introduced to the intermediate line, and it is sufficient to say that neither Booth for Makepeace was missed.  Taylor and Abbott were never at fault.  Further behind, the brothers Balmer kicked with remarkable certainly, seldom failing to return the ball to its intended location.  The perfect understanding between the custodian and the full-backs caused the Rovers efforts to appear somewhat feeble.
The Rovers did not provide us with their usual determination and relentless resistance, for they were by no means an all-round reliable side.  Chadwick was their most dangerous forward and when I say he compared most favourable with Hardman I can offer him no greater testimonial for this game.  He ran and centred admirably and was well attended to by Crompton, who though quiet and unobtrusive in his methods, showed a capable knowledge of the requirements of the inside position.  Martin did fairly well in the centre, but the right wing was not very prominent.  The half backs did not shine, Bradshaw being perhaps the most effective owing to him.  Crompton was by no means the back we know, and did not seem very happy on the left wing.  Cameron was slow, and it was fortunate for the Rovers that McIvor was in form.  Teams;- Everton; Scott; Balmer (W.), Balmer (R.); Black, Taylor (Captain), Abbott; Rouse, Bolton, Young, Settle, and H.P. Hardman.  Blackburn Rovers; McIvor; Cameron, Crompton; Wolstenholmes, Wilson, Bradshaw; Whittaker, Robertson, Martin, Crompton (E.), and Chadwick.  Referee; Mr. F. Kirkham, (Preston). 

November 19, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton this season apparently have a penchant for Lancashire clubs. With the exception of Bury, they have not and conquered all the First League clubs in the County Palatine. Their latest victims were Blackburn Rovers, who were defeated at Goodison-park on Saturday by two clear goals. The victory in itself was quite satisfactory, and but for lost opportunities the score against the Rovers would have been much more emphatic. Still it enabled the Blues to retain their position at the head of the League table, and to afford their supporters another proof of the determination of the team to gain one of the honours of the football world which has denied them since the early days of the formation of the League. It was not a pleasant day for outdoor sport, but the Everton ground, is so well equipped in respect of covered accommodation that the spectators suffered little inconvenience. A distinguished party, who was hospitably entertained in the directors' comfortable enclosure, too, witnessed the contest, with interest. The Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress, together with a party from Knowsley, were interested onlookers of the match, which, under the prevailing conditions, produced a fair exhibition of Association football.
There were alteration in both teams, but these were more detrimental to the Rovers than to Everton. Apart from the loss of their goalkeepers, an injury during praction sustained by Cowell interfered sadly with the visiting rear division. The consequence was that Crompton was called upon to appear at left back with an understudy in the person of Cameron as his partner. This arrangement was scarcely attended with success. Crompton was not as conspicuous as when in his right position, and Cameron afforded the opposing forwards too many opportunities to shine to be pleasant for his side. The opening half was entirely in Everton's favour, and it was by no means surprising that Young and Settle should have scored, both goals, curiously enough, following free kicks. Really the only variety was furnished by the clever outside left of the Rovers, for any danger which threatened Everton came from dashing runs on the part of Chadwick, whose centres were either badly missed by his colleagues or anticipatedby the alert by the alert Everton defenders. The second half of the game was nonproductive in the matters of goals. The Rovers, with the wind behind them, had more of the play than formerly, but the same lack of earnestness was in evidence. Numerous chances fell to the Everton attack, and how Young managed to shoot wide so often is not easy of explanation except it be for the fact that the ground was slippery and the ball greasy.
With perhaps one exception the Everton representative achieved all that was desired. The one weak spot was at outside right, and even then it is scarcely fair to balme Benson. Everton's expensive importation from Stoke, of course, he was out of his usual place. He is not supposed to be an outside right, and certainly on Saturday's form, he is no successor to Sharp. Once or twice be contributed useful runs, but his forte evidently is not on the extreme wing. Moreover, he missed one glorious chance of scoring, but after all, he was not the only sinner in this respect. The feature of Everton's play was the admirable display of the left wing. Hardman in particular giving of his best. Young was clever enough in midfield, and in taking the ball in almost impossible position, but time and again he spoiled himself by feeble attempts at goal scoring. Black, on his first appearance in the League team this season, was by no means the least effective of a capital trio of halves, while the Brothers Balmer were always ready to ward off any serious attempt to lower the colours of their side. Scott in comparison with his vis-à-vis McIver had little to do, and the Rovers may thank their custodian for the fact that they escaped with so limited margin of defeat. Wolstenholme was not the half-back of old, and the one conspicuous success in their ranks was the outside left, Chadwick, who was however, badly supported.
Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, W.Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Black, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Rouse, Bolton, Young, Settler, Hardman, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Milver, goal, Cameron, and Crompton backs, Wolstenholme, Wilson, and Bradshaw, half-backs, Whittaker, Robertson, Morton, E Cromton, and Chadwick, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham.

October 19, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 11)
Everton found Blackburn Rovers a far different team to overcome the Atherton, and whereas the latter had defeated the League reverse in the week by four goals to two, the Goodison men routed the Ewood-park brigade, the score in their favour being four goals to nil. There was never any doubt as to the result, for Everton had the measure of their opponents from first to last. Good defence kept the visitors out for half an hour, but then Jones scored a brilliant goal, and the Prescot lad afterwards added another. The Rovers forwards made a few good runs, but Sloan was not to be beaten, and on changing ends Jones scored again, thus accomplishing the hat-trick. The concluding goal came as the result of a scrimmage. Everton had a splendid defence, while the forwards went for goal, and gave the defence little rest. Seeing that Jones obtained both the goals scored at Atherton, he had a good week. Apart from scoring so freely he played capital football. Indeed all the forwards did good service and were too smart for the opposing defence. the Rovers were without McIver and Cameron, who were assisting the League team, but they had good substitutes. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettall, and Stevenson, backs, Chadwick, Wright, and Donaldson, half-backs, Donnachie, Graham, Jones, Cooke, and Butler, forwards.

November 26, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
A solitary goal in the last few minutes of the game at Roker-park was quite sufficient to deprive Everton of a couple of points. It is no new experience for the Evertonians to be beaten by an odd goal on the banks of the Wear. As a matter of fact, on no fewer than twenty occasions prior to Saturday only a bare goal has separated the teams, while in as many games one or other of the sides failed to score. It is also a singular circumstance that Sunderland have beat Everton oftener than any other club in the county. Apart from the latest fixture they had participated in 40 games, of which Sunderland have won 24, and lost 11, five being drawn. This record is more flattering to the Northern club than in goal suggest, for despite the majority of victories of which they can boast Sunderland have only to their credit 67 against 56. The explanation is to a large extent denotes the fact that now and again when Everton have won, they have rubbed it in pretty severely. Indeed as long ago as September 1893, Everton had the satisfaction of inflicting upon Sunderland their heaviest League defeat.
Saturday was a delightful day from the spectators point of view, and a fine crowd witnessed what proved to be an intensely interesting and hard fought encounter. After recent heavy rain the turf was rather slippery, and this probably accounted for mistakes in front of goal, for which players on both sides were responsible. This, however, was only a slight drawback in what was admitted to be the most strenuously fought game, which has been seen at Roker-park this season. Each side had a couple of changes, Sharp and Wilson on the Everton ranks, and Gemmill and Huggins, an amateur, in the Sunderland contingent. The Blues opened in dashing style, and in the first minute Settle nearly did the trick. It was soon evident, however, that the Wearsiders were determined at whatever cost of prettiness in tactics to contest every inch of the ground with their presumably cleverer opponents. And in this they succeeded admirably. There were some hard knocks given and taken without any suggestions of roughness. Scott on one occasion unceremoniously found the ground at full length, and both Shaw and Huggins were temporarily damaged. Still it was only what one could expect from a trial of strength fought out with such splendid spirit. When the interval arrived, neither side had secured any tangible advantage, although on the play Sunderland could claim a slight pull. In the earlier stages of the second half Everton looked all over like scoring, but Ward and his backs defended admirably, albert they had a slice of luck. Afterwards the Wearsiders put up a rousing attack, and well it was for Everton that the Brothers Balmer were as steady as rocks. Just when a goalless draw appeared imminent Gemmill who had gone to the extreme tight in place of Hogg, fastened on the ball following a free kick, well placed by Watson. Receiving it when on the wing near the end of the penalty area, he fired in hard, and the ball went into the net just under the crossbar, with Scott helpless. This settled the issue. The unexpected goal took a lot of sting out of the Cup holders, and in the few remaining minutes they never looked like getting on level terms again.
It is no disgrace for a team even of the standing of Everton to be vanquished at Sunderland by a goal to nil. Certainly the reputation up North has not suffered for, as previously suggested, they were participants in the best game which the Sunderland people have witnessed in their own town this season. The victors did not indulge in the finer points of the game, but they never knew when they were beaten, and went for the ball for all they were worth. To all intents, and purposes it was an encounter in which the opposing backs were the most conspicuous. The two Balmers were prominent throughout with effective tackling and fine, clean kicking, and equally clever were Rhodes and Watson, the Sunderland right back playing quite at the top of his form. There was little to choose between the halves. Taylor was ever in the thick of the fray, and Black though not a Makepeace, was responsible for some telling work. It was in the attack where Everton failed to realise expectation. Whether it was wise on the part of the Everton directors to drop Bolton in favour of Rouse, their costly importation from Stoke, is a quest about which they are supposed to be the best judges. At any rate the blame of the credit must belong to them. Even an artist of the capability of Rouse cannot all at once adapt himself, to the style of the Everton front line, who do not play a similar game to that of Stoke. This he is a footballer of undoubted ability is beyond question, and doubtless he will render great service to his new club. But it was evident on Saturday, that he has not yet tumbled to the style of his comrades. All round the visiting forwards was not as effective as usual, this to a considerable extent being accounted for by the worrying tactics adopted by the home defenders. Teams: - Sunderland: - Ward goal Rhodes, and Watson, backs Tait, Barrie, and McConnell, half-backs Hogg, Gemmill, Shaw, Bridgetts and Huggins, forwards, Everton: - Scott, goals, W. Baler, and R. Balmer, backs Black, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Rouse Settle, Young, and G. Wilson forwards, Referee J.H.Pearson.

Athletic News - Monday 26 November 1906
The game between Everton Reserves and St. Helens Recreation provided a splendid finish, the home team winning by the odd goal of three.  There was no score until five minutes from time, when King put on a point for the visitors, and the issue seemed decided.  In the remaining period Dorward and Butler scored for Everton, and thus unexpectedly gave their side the maximum points.  For the winners, Sloan kept a capital goal, and Strettle was the better of the full-backs.  This local lad, who is young, and stands nearly 6ft is a fearless tackler, and powerful kicker.  He should develop into a really capable defender.

Athletic News - Monday 26 November 1906
By Tom Tiddler
Sunderland displayed something like their old form at Roker on Saturday, and defeated Everton by a goal to nothing. It was a glorious struggle all the way through, and up to Sunderland’s scoring in the closing stage not one of the crowd would have dared to venture on a forecast. Yet there could be little doubt that the better side won. The Evertonians made two changes from last week, Sharp and Wilson displacing Bolton and Hardman. The home eleven was not chosen until shortly before the start. Several alterations were made forward. Brown and Macintosh were absent, Gemmell and J. Huggins filling the vacancies. Splendid weather favoure the fixture, and there was a capital attendance of spectators, the official returns showing that 18,500 passed through the turnstiles.
From the start play became fast and exciting, and during the first quarter of an hour there was very little between the teams, then Sunderland to some extent asserted their superiority, and once or twice seemed likely to get through. But the forwards failed at the crucial moment. Next Young struck the cross piece with a splendid shot, and shortly afterwards Shaw and Scott were laid out through a collision. No serious damage was done, however, although Hogg changed places with Shaw to give the latter a bit of a rest. No goals had been scored at the interval, after which both sides attacked fiercely. About eight minutes from the close, after Scott had saved finely from Huggins, Gemmell, who had changed places with Hogg, got possession. He was unmarked at the time, and, taking deliberate aim, he drove the ball against the angle of the cross-bar, from where it flew into the net. Everton made great efforts to retrieve the position but without success, and retired beaten.
The game was fast and keen throughout, and Sunderland deserved to win. They had a slight pull in the first half, and later fully merited the goal they got. It was a game in which the rear divisions bore off the honours of the day. Sterling half back play rendering the forwards ineffective, and making their display of a spasmodic and uneven character. The Everton front rank, a veritable “Nap” hand on paper, did not get any chance settle down, and this doubtless accounted for their indifferent display. Ward was not so severely tested as Scott, but both are to be commended for their fine saves. Watson played a dangerous wing with skill throughout, and generally held his own. Rhodes made him a grand partner. All the middle men did well, M’Connell bearing off the honours of the opening half, and Tait afterwards playing wonderfully well. In the closing stages Barrie was as cool the proverbial cucumber.  Shaw was weak in the centre, but the rest of the forwards were up to concert pitch, Huggins, despite an injury, making a great show after the cross-over.
Everton have a strong, reliable pair of backs in the brothers Balmer, the left back being the more finished.  Abbott was the pick of the half-backs.  Taylor easily held Shaw, and Black did well against such fast wing men as Bridgett and Huggins.  A word of praise is due to Young, who worked heroically throughout, and was an accurate shot.  The inside men were good, and both Sharp and Wilson were prominent.  As a line they were not so smart as Sunderland or so clever in the long crossing game.  All the same, Everton’s display was worthy of their reputation.  Sunderland; Ward; Rhodes, Watson; Tait, Barrie, McConnell; Hogg, Gemmell, Shaw, Brdigett, and J. Huggins.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (W.), Balmer (R); Black, Taylor (Captain), Abbott; Sharp, Rouse, Young, Settle, and Wilson (G.).  Referee; J.H. Pearson, Crewe. 

Novemeber 26, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 12)
The game at Goodison-park between Everton and St Helens Recs was a one-sidered affair, though as usually happeneds the team, which had acted on the defence most of the time, rusted away, and at first attempt scored. Whilst their opponents had all their work cut out to equalise, and then take the lead. The Recs were the first to attack, but Strettell was safe, and Jones made Dougherty save a nice effort. Sloan made one or two great saves this half, which ended goalless. The second portion was all in Everton's favour. The Recs were penned in most of the time, but following a breakaway King beat Sloan, and the Recs took the lead. The Blues were in their opponents quarters for the rest of the game, and five minutes from the close Dorward equalised, and amid great excitement Butler got a leading goal, the whistle sounding immediately after. Everton's win was well merited, for after the Recs scored they kicked out on every possible occasion, and Everton had hard work to keep the ball in midfield. Sloan in goal was very safe, he had not much to do, but the shots sent in were very ticklish. Strettell showed considerable improvement, and was about the best back on the field, while Donaldson was the better of the halve. Donnachie and Dorward made a good wing. Jones and Cooke also doing good service, Jones shooting particularly well. Butler was very uncertain. The Recs are a smart team, but were no match for the home custodian. Dougherty who hails from the Liverpool districts. He kept a wonderful goal, and it was solely to his efforts that the Recs were saved from a serve defeat. Turner was the better back. With Wilding most prominent among the halves. The forwards were a go ahead lot. The pick of them being Dudley, Wareing, and Carrington, the latter having many fine struggles with Strettell. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Stevenson, backs, Chadwick, Wright, and Donaldson half-back Donnachie, Dorward, Jones, Cooke, and Butler, forwards.





November 1906