Everton Independent Research Data


November 1, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The spell of misfortune, which has attended Everton, was happily broken on Saturday, when they vanquished Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park by three goals to one. The victory did not come out of its turn, for the "Blues" had experienced four successive defeat, two of them on their own enclosure. It was a pity perhaps that a struggling Lancashire club had to be their victims, but the time had certainly arrived when the Everton players, for their own credit's sake, had to do something to revive the dropping hopes of their faithful supporters. Although maximum points were gained, the game in no sense could be described as a thrilling exposition of the Association code. Indeed, for the greater part of the ninety minutes, the football was singularly uninteresting. It was redeemed by the fact that the record League scorer, Freeman, placed another "hat-trick" to his credit –he had done a similar thing against Blackpool last, Monday –and so long, as the centre piles on the goals, one can forgive him for laches in midfield.

For thirty-five out of the forty-five minutes in the first half, the exhibition was of the most moderate description. There was absolutely nothing to enthuse about, and goals never looked like coming. As the interval approached the Everton attack evidently began to realise that their mission was to obtain goals. Turner crashed the ball against the crossbar, and from the rebound Sharp directed it against the upright, but this ill luck was neutralised when Freeman registered a surprise goal from nearly thirty yards' range. It must not be imagined that Everton had it all their own way. The "Trotters" enjoyed quite as much of the play, and it was the fault of their own forwards that nice openings were nulled after good work in midfield. Indeed for some minutes after the resumption the Wanderers might have easily have equalised. When Everton realised the danger of the situation they imparted more earnestness into the proceedings. A neat pass from Borthwich enabled Lacey to again find the crossbar, but this time Freeman met the rebound, and in a twinkling the ball was in the net. A few minutes later Sharp sent across, and the redoubable Freeman credited himself with his third –a delightful effort. The game was then as good as over, but taking advantage of temporary looseness on the part of Everton defenders Lockett was rewarded with a goal from a high dropping shot which deceived Scott. Clifford in the closing stages nearly led to another Bolton goal, and perhaps the verdict of three to one was rather flattering to Everton on the run of the play.

Owing to an injury to his heel sustained in the Woolwich Arsenal match, Balmer was unable to turn out, but as events proved it was a happy inspiration on the part of the Everton directors to give a trail to Clifford at right backs. His display astonished those who have only seen him in the centre-half position. His kicking was clean, and judgement characterised not a few clearances. It would not be going too far to suggest that he was about the best back on the field. Then Borthwick played his finest game so far in the centre half back position. He is not a Taylor, but he is improving, and with riper experience should be a useful man for Everton. Lacey, too, made a successful appearance in the League front line. Though not the tricky player that Coleman is, he is a real hard worker, and one who can shoot with plenty of power. He and Sharp constituted the best wing, though, in the second half especially; Turner and White accomplished much good work. As already indicated, Freeman's forte was in scoring the goals. McEwan and Stokes were the prominent figures in the Wanderers' attack whose improvements were spoiled time and again by faulty finishes. Greenhalgh stood out among the halves, and Edmondson, who could not be blamed for the goals was generally well covered by Baverstock and Slater. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and MaCoonachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Lacey, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Edmonson, goal, Baverstock, and Slater, backs, Gaskell, Greenhalgh, and Robinson, half-backs, Stokes, Lockett, Hughes, Hunter, and McEwan, forwards. Referee A. Hargreaves.

Athletic News - Monday 01 November 1909
On Saturday Freeman, who has been rather pacific for Everton during October, took the liberty of notching all the three goals for his club against the Bolton Wanderers.  This, it many interest curious readers to know is the sixth time –between October 17, 1908, and October 30, 1909- that Bert Freeman has had the audacity to score thrice in one match, Sheffield United (twice), Sunderland, Chelsea, Sheffield Wednesday, and Bolton Wanderers being the clubs which have experienced his penetrative power. 

Athletic News - Monday 01 November 1909
By Junius.
HAVING spent four Saturdays during October in a vain endeavour to secure a victory, Everton were naturally anxious to check their run of misfortune ere the month departed, and with this purpose in view they introduced White and Lacey into their forward line, and both teams had to make alteration back owing to injuries to Balmer and Stanley. In the first half neither side seemed like scoring until seven minutes from the interval, when Everton began to assert their superiority. The forwards were energetic enough, but there was finish their work.
He centred to Turner, whose shot struck the crossbar, and Sharp, who pounced on the rebound, drove the ball against the post. These were thrilling items indeed, and the Bolton goal escaped capture by sheer good fortune. A few seconds before half time Freeman gained possession when quite twenty five yards away from goal, and in a fast, low drive, which beat Edmondson, although the custodian went full length to save. The Bolton forwards were very remise near goal, and their shooting gave Scott not the least anxiety. Everton were more persistent after the resumption, and Edmondson tipped stinging centre from Turner over the bar. Lacey next flashed the ball against the woodwork, but this time Freeman followed up, and, regaining possession, added a second goal for Everton. A few minutes later Sharp maneuvered another opening, beat Slater, and placed across the goal mouth for Freeman vanquish Edmondson in the tussle for the ball, and credit himself with a third point. Then ensued a rush on the Bolton right wing, which found Borthwick and Maconnachie in an uncertain mood, and Lockett sent in a dropping shot, which managed to find the net. This terminated the scoring, and Everton prevailed by three goals one. EVERTON EXPERTS.
Although Everton won, their display was far from satisfactory, and the quality of their football was a long way from the standard which usually associated with their names. Freeman scored all the points, but beyond this he accomplished little for the benefit of his side. While was not a conspicuous performer against his old club, and the left wing showed little improvement upon recent displays. Turner sent across several capital centres, but would probably the position of full back, his returns being clean and powerful, while his headwork was most pronounced.  He was certainly the outstanding figure in Everton's defence in which Scott and Macconnachie were comparatively minor executants.
Wanderers Weaknesses
Bolton were genuine triers, but their forwards were by no means a convincing set.  Near the goal they were feeble indeed, and the futile rushes of Hughes might have been diverted into attempts at shooting with better results possibly to his side.  In the first half Stokes was very prominent, but he missed a glorious chance of gaining the lead when near the posts.  He went very lame in the closing stages, and the efficiency of the right wing suffered thereby.  McEwan was responsible for some pretty footwork, and he was the most consistent forward on his side.  The three inside men showed much smartness in midfield, but they never gave Scott cause for uneasiness, and therein lay their great weakness, and also an important factor in their defeat.  All the half-backs did well, especially Greenhalgh, who was an untiring centre, while Gaskell proved an effectual brake on the Everton left wing pair.  There was however, room for improvement in the understanding between them and the men in front.  Further in the rear came a sound pair of full backs, for Slater kicked sturdily and Beaverstock did likewise.  They commanded respect by reason of their reliable resistance and with Edmondson constituted a defence with which little fault could be found.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Lacey, Freeman, White and Turner.  Bolton Wanderers; Edmondson; Baverstock, Slater; Gaskell, Greenhalgh, Robinson; Stokes, Lockett, Hughes, Hunter and McEwan.  Referee; Mr. A. Hargreaves, Blackpool.   

November 1, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 10)
The respective defences had much the better of the deal in the game between Bolton and Everton Reserves. Bolton were the better side in the first half but Everton scored first through Mountford. Jones equalised before the interval, and with the second half blank the game ended 1-1. Everton: - Berry goal, Stevenson, and Barnsley, backs, Weller, Webster, and Adamson half-backs, Michaels, Gourlay, Jones, Anderson, and Mountford forwards.

Novemeber 2 1909. The Liverpool Courier
We are officially informed that the Everton club have signed on a new player named Allan, a right back from Bedington, a team playing in the Newcastle district. He is 5ft 8ins; in height, and weights a little over 11 stone. He will in all probability make his appearance with Everton combination on Saturday next.

Athletic News - Monday 08 November 1909
Hull City are not by any means out of the race for promotion.  They mean to be in it.  They will be in it to the close if Andrew Browell can realize his wishes, as he possesses sufficient of youthful optimism to provide motive power for the whole side.  “Andy” Browell, the centre-half is the junior member of the “Tiger” and probably the youngest player in that division of the team in the Second Division.  His elder brother George, has been playing several seasons with the club, his position being left half-back, so that sandwiched between his brother and the popular deputy captain, David Gordon, who has always taken quite a paternal interest in Browell minor, the latter has never failed for lack of advice and encouragement from his immediate colleagues.  Andrew Browell first appeared last November at Birmingham, Ambrose Langley, the cautious manager, seems to prefer giving his recruits a baptism away from home and it was scarcely the easiest of games, in which to try an inexperienced “hand”  Anyway the “Tigers” won the match, and Browell has kept his place from that day to this.  “I felt a little nervous and shy when I first stepped on to the field at Birmingham,” he says, but my brother and Davy Gordon helped me through all right, and I don’t think I have ever been troubled with nerves since.  Andrew Browell was born on September 17, 1889, at Walbottle, a colliery village five miles west of Newcastle.  His first team was Walbottle Juniors, who were members of the East Tyne Junior League, and whilst assisting this combination he was chosen to play for the county of Northumberland against the county of Durham.  The match came off at Walbottle, and Browell helped the Northumbrians to beat the invaders by 3-0.  With a county man in their ranks, the Northern Combination, young Browell assisting them for a season and a half before he came to Hull at the age of 18 years.  He played for the City Reserves for half a season and two months in the following campaign, before making his election to the first team secure.  It was just at a time when W. Robinson, the “Tigers” regular centre-half was meeting with such bad luck, and quite failing to strike his usual form Browell was promoted, Robinson being subsequently transferred to Bolton Wanderers.  Browell, who is one of several members of the Hull City team who have worked in the pit, is unassuming, with every promise of making a first-class player.  He is fairly fast and very fearless, with the knack of setting the whole machine going in the most harmonious manner.  He is growing lad, and when he fills out to the limit he will be serviceable in a “tight-corner.” 

Athletic News - Monday 08 November 1909
Chelsea 0, Everton 1
By the Mate.
The greatest satisfaction that Everton can derive from their success at Stamford Bridge lies, in the knowledge that they won, but their victory is not a matter upon which they can feed any degree of superlative elation. All their efforts to score failed until Ben Warren made them present of a penalty goal, midway through the second half. One cannot condone Warren’s offence, but I firmly believe thought his action was the lesser of two evils. He was laboring under a wrong imprecision, and when Turner’s shot was going straight for goal he assumed the role of goalkeeper and flung his hands to throw the ball away. This incident happened when Everton were bombarding the home goal. A shot from Turner was caught, Whitley, who was instantly charged down by Freeman. When laid on the ground Whitley turned the ball to Bettridge who might have given a corner, but preferred to keep the ball in play, and kicked it out to the left wing.
There Turner WAS standing unmarked, and at once he shot hard for goal again. Meanwhile, Whitley had regained hit feet, and had placed himself to receive the ball, but Warren was evidently unaware of this, for he was two yards in front of the Chelsea goalkeeper when he fisted away. A penalty inevitable and Jack Sharp scored with a hard drive. This was only one of three unfortunate occurrences which cost Chelsea the match. The first occurred a minute or two after the start, when Hilsdon fell awkwardly in a struggle with Borthwick, and again strained the damaged thigh muscle which has kept him out of the side since the Liverpool game in the first week in September. He remained on the field to the end, but was incapable of running at any pace. A tackle was beyond his powers, and Chelsea are no doubt now regretting that they did not give him a tried trip in the reserve team before taking that the risk which ended so disastrously.  The second blow to Chelsea’s hopes was administered ten minutes later, when Fairgray injured his foot, and, after receiving attention, he found himself unable to move and retired for the remainder of the game. Thus Chelsea were left with four forwards, one of whom was little removed from a cripple, and with James Windridge also away injured their attack presented a sorry spectacle.  Freeman, without a partner, and with little assistance from the centre, was absolutely lost on the left wing, and his position was rendered more hopeless still by his evident desire to do what he could in assisting the defence in times of stress. 
The Strong Men of the South
Humphreys was the one man in the line who succeeded in troubling the Everton defence, and one dash of his in the first half was full value for a goal, but his great shot on the run hit the side of the net.  For the Chelsea defence one can have nothing but praise.  They came through a trying ordeal with distinct credit.  Whitley started well by holding a hard, low drive from Freeman in the first minute, and in the second half he saved one splendid shot from White at close quarters.  He was several times hard pressed, and Freeman showed him little mercy.  After the penalty incident he was again knocked down by the Everton centre, but when laid on his back he managed to throw the ball behind the goal, and though he gave a second corner in clearing Sharp’s well placed kick he again got the ball away.  He was admirably covered by Cameron and Betteridge.  The Scotsman was robust in his tackling and kicked well, and his striping partner –a ten stone midget –revealed abnormal powers of anticipation.  His kicking too, was capital.  Ormiston’s exhibition at centre half was the best he has given at Stamford Bridge.  Freeman only escaped him on rare occasions, and his defensive play was altogether of a high order.  The more the tide of adversity flowed against Chelsea the harder Warren played, albeit his zeal sometimes carried him out of position, and this was his one failing, Downing was also a tireless worker.
Everton’s Weaknesses
With every chance of concentrating their efforts in attack the Everton men gave a disappointing display.  It is not easy to say where the great weakness lay, but the forwards were never convincing.  Sharp did much excellent work in the first half, but he gave his ankle a nasty jar by kicking the ground immediately after the interval, and from that point he fell away considerably.  Lacey was not a fully satisfactory partner, and Freeman’s work in centre was too spasmodic.  He made one or two ominous bursts through the defence, but there were times when he wasted chances by finessing instead of shooting, and perhaps the most successful man in the line was White, who made some nice openings for his immediate colleagues.  Makepeace had the measure of Brawn, and Borthwick’s vigour was not supplemented with the necessary polish.  Harris had not a very difficult task on the right wing, nor had the ex-Boltonian, Clifford, who was again at full back, to the exclusion of R. Balmer, a fair test.  Macconnachie was good, and Scott made no mistakes.  I need only add that the crowd numbered fully 35,000 spectators, and before the fog cast a mantle over the last ten minutes of the game, the sun had shone brilliantly through a breezeless atmosphere.  Chelsea; Whitley; Bettridge, Cameron; Warren, Ormiston, Downing; Brawn, Humphreys, Hildson, Freeman, and Fairgrey.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Lacey, Freeman, White and Turner.  Referee; Mr. R.J. Pritchford, Sheffield. 

November 8, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton club were making football history on Saturday. It is well known that they are one of the few original members of the League. It was not until the first month of the present season that they were enabled to rejoice in a victory on the ground of Newcastle United. Until Saturday last they had never obtained two points on Chelsea's magnificent enclosure, and the significant fact is that their latest success now enables Everton to boast of the proud record of having been victorious on the grounds of all the members of the premier organisations in the country. The contest on the Stamford Bridage enclosure was robbed of much of its attractiveness by reason of the fact that four forwards for the greater portion of the game represented the home club. Again the players were none too wonderful with the result that there was an over indulgence in tactics that could scarcely be allied to true sportmanship. One can understand accidents arising in a game which is fought with keen determination, but there were instances when the players –and let it be said that both sides were equal culpable –went out of their way to accomplish their object. Apart from these blemishes the 40,000 spectators had a rare good afternoon's sport, which culminated in Everton obtaining the verdict by verdict by a penalty goal.

For the greater portion of the game Everton were the more aggressive side, but the finishing touches of the forwards were not at all in keeping with the all-round excellence that brought them to the shooting zone. There were occasions when the home keeper was the sole remaining obstacle to success and when all were prepared for a score there was an unfortunate miskick to save the situation. Early in the first half, and again towards the finish. Everton's crack marksman was apparently clean through, but he failed to get the right spot on the ball, which practically rolled to Whitley. There were escapes that rarely come the way of clubs, but there were other times when one might reasonably have expected the Blues' forwards to have found the net. It must not be inferred that the home van were in the background, and one shot of Hilsdon's was a beauty. An inch or two lower and Scott must have been beaten, while a couple of terrific drives from Humphreys and a great effort from Brawn were not far out of their reckoning. All through the game was suggestive of great possibilities in the scoring line, for end to end play in quick success in combined with skilful methods in and about midfield were dominant factors in a game that sustained the interest of the hugh crowd from start to finish.

Scoring was not forthcoming until the second half had been in progress 22 minutes, and this came about as the result of a penalty kick against Warren following upon a heavy bombardment of the Chelsea goal. Dealing with the players one must compliment the Everton forwards upon their open fieldwork, though their finishing efforts were scarcely stamped with the hall mark of class. White made many gallant attempts to defeat Whitley, and Lacey, on the other side of Freeman, showed again that he possesses the attributes necessary for the best of company. He took the ball well and was smart off the mark, and his work generally was suggestive of the great promise. Freeman had to pay the penalty of greatness, for he was well shadowed and sandwiched, and the pity was that the wings were not in their usual vein, otherwise the attention of Ormiston, Bettridge, and Cameron must have been thwarted. Sharp looked a certain scorer just after the interval, but miskicked, and in so doing wretched his leg, but after first and application he was seen to better advantage, especially in the closing stages. There could be no question about the cleverness of Turner but unfortunately the essential quality only showed itself on occasion. He was mainly concerned in the attack that led up to the bombardment of Whitley's charge, and an infusion of the same dash in the earlier proceedings must have benefited his side considerably. In half-back play, Makepeace had no compeer. He anticipated the dangerous movements of the home forwards to a nicety, and while attending well to Turner and White, he also gave great assistance to the last line of defence. Borthwick lasted well, and showed steady improvement, while Harris completed a capital half-back line. Clifford was the better of two hard working backs, and Scott accomplished everything that came his way with his accustomed skill. Hilsdon, who made his first appearance since the Liverpool match in the first week of the season, was injured in the first few minutes in a collision with Borthwick, and though he put in some fine shots afterwards, he was obviously handicapped. Then Fairgrey's retirement further disconnected the side. Still the reduced forces played with refreshing vigour with Humphreys always a powerful force to be reckoned with. The halves with Warren a veritable glutton for work, were a convincing lot, while the last line were in the safe keeping of Bettridge, Cameron, and Whitley. Teams : - Chelsea: - Whitley, goal, Bettridge, and Cameron, backs Ormiston, Fairgrey, and Humphreys, half-backs, Brawn, Hilsdon, Warren (Captain), and Windridge, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Macconachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Lacey, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards.

November 8, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 11)
Everton and Colne can now cry "quits" for earlier in the season at Colne the Blues were defeated by 2 goals to nil, while the return match at Goodison Park on Saturday resulted in the triumph of the home team by exactly the same score. For the most part the game was uninviting, and it was only in the last half-hour that the two goals was scored. In the initial half defence on each side played the most prominent part, for both sets of forwards were weak in finishing tactics. The visitors in the second half showed a lack of staying power, and the home vanguard at once took matters into their own hands. Mountford, who scored after Kneeshaw had saved from Jones, secured the first goal. The most goal was the outcome of a melee in the Colne goalmouth, for Weller rushing in amongst a ruck of players, placed the ball into the net. There ended the scoring, though nearing the end Everton missed several opportunities. Everton: - Berry, goal, Osborne, and Bardley, backs, Allen, Webster, and Adamson, half-backs, McFarland, Gourlay, Jones, Mountford, and Michaels, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 15 November 1909

Athletic News - Monday 15 November 1909
Everton 0, Blackburn Rovers 2
By Junius
As leaders of the League, the Rovers of Blackburn swooped down on the Everton fold, clad in red shirts, which may have unintentionally meant they were out for blood, and they justified their adornment by gaining a meritious victory by 2-0.  There was no denying their rights to the victory; individually they may not have been so clever as their rivals, but collectively they were quite two goals the better team.  In my opinion the success of the Rovers is due to one potent influence, namely, sympathetic intention, leavened by whole-hearted endeavor.  I was disappointed with the football exhibited prior to the interval; the footwork was fairly clever in midfield, but it lacked the finishing polish.  Only on rare occasions were Ashcroft and Scott troubled, and the acquisition of goals to either side appeared the most unlikely occurrence possible.  A lofty shot from Davies, and an attempt by Latheron to convert a centre from Garbutt produced the nearest approaches to Scott’s subjection, while a timely save by Ashcroft from Freeman checked Everton’s best effort.  But this one feature of inefficiency near goal came more and more prominently into the picture as the game progressed; whatever attacks were premeditated or partially launched forth from either side were promptly checked, and when half time arrived with the score sheet blank, we had to persuade ourselves that we were satisfied with the fare that had been provided.
The Rovers Roused.
It was left to the Rovers to rise to the occasion, and stir the pulse of the crowd.  A capital clearance by Ashcroft from Sharp seemed to betoken that Everton were asserting themselves, when away came the Rovers’ light brigade of forwards, only to find Borthwick a stumbling block.  The centre-half intervened and beat three opponents, but was then himself robbed by Davies, who placed to Aitkenhead.  This nippy inside left went ahead, and from quite twenty yards’ range flashed in a tremendous shot which Scott never saw, until he stooped to pick the ball out of the net.  ‘Twas a glorious goal, the result of a deliberate attempt to score which baffled the intention of the custodian alert and unhampered.  Now were the Rovers roused; they had gained one grip on the game, and they were anxious for further success.  A second goal nearly came from their next onslaught, for Garbutt’s centre was narrowly missed, while a moment later, Davies prounced on another attempt by the outside right, and by inches only failed to find the net.  However, this was a case of benefits delayed for Garbutt beat Macconnachie shortly afterwards, whipped the ball across to Aitkenhead, who transferred again to the right wing, and Latheron, dashing inwards, beat the bewildered defenders with a short-range shot.  Subsequently, Everton were more dangerous than at any previous period, but Ashcroft would not admit defeat.  He saved splendidly from Freeman and Lacey, but the former then raced through and was almost under the bar when he failed to beat the keeper. 
Everton Excerpts
The defeat of Everton was due solely and entirely to the inefficiency of the forwards.  Often in neutral quarters they display cleverness and adroit movement, but when it behoved them to shoot they were invariably lacking in precision.  Lacey was the only forward who gave the Rovers’ defence much anxiety, and with few exceptions Ashcroft made all their attempts to score appear feeble indeed.  Chief weakness was exhibited on the left wing, and I have seldom seen the Everton front rank so faulty in this particular department.  The passing was inaccurate, and the attempts to battle the opposing defence were very paltry.  Rarely did a centre come from this quarter, and all through the game not a vestige of danger arose therefrom.  Freeman did not oblique with a single individual burst, through near the close of the game he seemed certain to score after an exchange of passing between himself and Lacey.  Yet there was much in his play deserving of praise, and he gave his wings some delightful passes, which were unfortunately not utilized.  Lacey was the best of the line; he worked hard, and his exchanges to the men on either side were beautifully judged.  He was the only forward who seemed to have any definite idea of the location of the Rovers goal.  Sharp was not a success; he could not get the upperhand of Cowell by his usual methods, and still he never endeavored to alter his tactics.  All the half-backs did well, and Makepeace especially.  He was behind a feeble wing, however, and much of his reality excellent play was neutralized by the inefficiency of the men in front of him.  Harris played his best game of the season, and he maintained a harmonious touch with his forwards.  Borthwick gave a capital display in the first half, and altogether no blame could be attached to the intermediate line.  Further behind, the defence was sound, for Clifford never blundered, and Macconnachie was sound, the result being that Scott was seldom in difficulties.  Twice he was hopelessly beaten, but that was the fault of his opponents. 
Rovers’ Reminiscences.
One player stood out resplendent on the Rovers side, and that was Cowell, the left full-back.  He is physically of slight stature, but, from a football point of view, a giant.  From the start he had the Everton outside right under absolute control; he kicked, tackled, despoiled, intervened, and made himself an impervious barrier to the advances of the opposition; one was dourly defiant, but Cowell was radiantly resplendent.  Ashcroft kept a fine goal, and he especially excelled in intelligent anticipation, which enabled him to reduce dangerous shots into items easily cleared.  Bradshaw and Chapman were splendid half-backs, the latter being a tireless intervener.  I was particularly impressed by the manner in which he plied the ball first to his wings, and then away down the centre to Davies.  Bradshaw was a calculating performer, with method looming forth in every move, and Walmsley, though not so prominent, was a zealous individual in defence.  The forwards could scarcely by designated clever, but they were dashing and determined.  Davies was a resourceful leader, and a most dangerous man near goal.  But of the five, I prefer Latheron; he was a perfect glutton for work, and was not particular about remaining on his own wing, when he thought there was an opening on the left.  The extreme wingers were scarcely so prominent, but they were always ready in case of emergency, and did not dally when in possession.  The Rovers are a team, not eleven individuals and herein lies the secret of their triumphs.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Lacey, Freeman, White and Turner.  Blackburn Rovers; Ashcroft; Crompton, Cowell;  Walmsley, Chapman, Bradshaw; Garbutt, Latheron, Davies, Aitkenhead, and Bracegirdie. 

Athletic News - Monday 15 November 1909
At the last meeting of the Lancashire Combination, the Everton club asked for some enlightenment on the position of one of their amateur players, Michaels, a brother of the player of that name who recently figured with the League eleven.  He signed a Liverpool County League form for their third eleven on September 23 and a Lancashire Combination from for Ashton Town on October 5.  The Committee ruled that he is Aston’s Combination player, so that he cannot play for Everton in Combination matches.  But suppose Ashton play him in a Combination match can Everton report them to the Football Association for approaching him?  There seems to be divergence of opinion on this question, but so far as this particular player is concerned no doubt the two clubs will arrive at some arrangement. 

November 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
For some seasons past Blackburn Rovers have not been blessed with much success at Goodison Park, although less than a year ago they shared in a draw of four goals each after apparently being hopelessly beaten. Last Saturday they made no mistake in their game with Everton, and were value for their two clear goals victory. At the same time, while no one begrudged them their acquisition of maximum points, they were fortunate in winning by such a substantial margin. Everton, however, had only themselves to blame. Their defence could not be held responsible; the fault rested with the forwards, who were singularly at sea in endeavouring to drive home their attack. As far as actual pressure went, the Everton front line rejoiced in more than their share, but there was a inmentable lack of finish in their methods, which made all the difference. For instance, even when the marksman, Freeman, in the closing stages of the game raced to within a few yards of the goalkeeper he could only divert a curling ball towards the goal flag, rather than into the net. It was a dreadfully disappointing match from the home point of view, but the Rovers showed sufficient of their quality to impress one with the idea that they are in the right position at the head of the League table. They are a well-balanced lot; for the most part young and energetic, hence their run of successes.

There was a fine crowd; anywhere about 25,000, to witness what was hoped would be a stop to Blackburn Rovers' point annexing career. Alas for the Evertonians, the Rovers proved that their place at the head of affairs has been gained by real merit. The opening half was not productive of exciting or scientific football. The onslaught of the forward line's lacked destruction, and there was always the impression that the respective defences were equal to all demands that might be made upon them. Certainly neither Scott nor Ashcroft could complain of being unduly taxed. The second portion of the match was much more interesting. Quite early on the Rovers obtained the lead. Borthwick the rebust home centre half had got the better of two or three opponents, but in trying to be too tricky the ball was taken from him, and this proved the undoing of his side. Davies pounced on the leather, and Aitkenhead scored, with a glorious long shot, which found the far corner of the net. Everton pressed hard after this set back, but all they could secure were abortive corners. To add to their discomfiture, Latheron added a second goal, and the Rovers brilliant defence prevailed to the end, although in the last few minutes, Freeman bangled a great chance of averting the severity of Everton's defeat.

The honours of the game both collectively and individually fell to the Rovers. Latheron was the finest forward on the field, full of initiative, and ever ready to turn any possible advantage to account, and Cowell caught the eye as a defender of infinite resource. Probably no one has a better idea of Cowell's capabilities than Jack Sharp, who has rarely been so much troubled by a back as was the case on Saturday. In seemed as if the Everton captain tried so hard to get the better of the Rovers' left back that he failed to return the ball to Lacey as he might easily have done, on more than one occasion. This was the more noticeable inasmuch as the Irishman was the one forward in the Everton front line who ever looked like troubling Ashcroft. With Freeman off colour, the home left wing was not to prominent; indeed the whole line disappointed by reason of their inability to profit by the chances afforded them by the halves. Clifford again proved his value in the right back position, and was more prominent than Macconnachie, whose best work was seen in the second half. The Rovers were strong fore and fit, while in the middle line Chapman and Bradshaw were great. There was little to choose between the goalkeepers, but Scott was unlucky as compared with Ashcroft, in having his charge twice penetrated through no failure on his part. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Lacey, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Ashcroft, goal, Crompton, and Cowell, backs, Walmsley, Chapman, and Bradshaw, half-backs, Garbutt, Latheron, Davies, Aitkenhead, and Bracogirillo, forwards. Referee Mr. R. Hurrocks.

November 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 12)
Everton were distinctly unfortunate to lose at Blackburn. They put up an excellent fight, and when Mountford scored a fine goal in the second half, and the Blues were leading near the end, it looked odds on the visitors capturing the points. But then Stevenson equalised and in the last minute Crompton put the Rovers in front. Everton being beaten by two goals to one . Everton: - Berry, goal, Osborne, and Rafferty, backs, Allen, Weller, and Adamson half-backs, Michaels, Gouray, Jones, Anderson, and Mountford, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 22 November 1909
By Junius
Matters are going none too well with Everton this season, for their forward line seem unable to settle ‘down to effective working. Changes have been made with the idea of improving the attack, but for the second week succession no goals have been forthcoming. The Everton aggregate has only been increased by one goal since November’s advent, and that was from a penalty kick. Everton have in their reserve team a forward who knows how to score goals. This is Jones -"Prescot" Jones he is called by those who know him well-and last year he proved the most prolific goal-scorer in the Lancashire Combination.
Club Notes and Gossip
L.R. Roose was the chief speaker at the Brunswick Chapel, Moss-Street, Liverpool yesterday on the occasion of a footballers' Sunday.  Next week Bridgett, the Sunderland forward will speak at the Central Hall, Renshaw street, under similar auspices.  The Wearsiders are due at Everton on Saturday, and Mr. W.C. Cuff will take the chair at the Sunday service the following day. 

Athletic News - Monday 22 November 1909
Nottingham Forest 1, Everton 0
By Trentsider
Not since they defeated Bolton Wanderers on October 16, had Nottingham Forest won on their ground prior to Saturday, and their victory over Everton was consequently hailed with some delight.  Their success was not achieved without a hard struggle, the visitors stoutly contesting every inch of the game.  In many respects the Forest forwards played a greatly improved game, but the old fault –weakness in front of goal –was still very apparent.  The visitors were, in this respect, in an even worse predicament.  They worked into position with as much, if not more method than the Forest, but once there they were at a total loss.  All round, therefore, the shooting was of the poorest type, and the goalkeepers had nothing difficult to do.  There were periods when Everton pressed severely, and when it appeared almost certain they would score, but the Forest defence held out resolutely, and the staying powers of their forwards being much more in evidence than of late, they were able to retaliate with a counter attack.
Everton’s Bold Policy.
The bold policy adopted by the visitors in playing an entirely new right wing can scarcely be said to have proved a success.  Lacey and Michaels showed only moderate form, and they will have to improve greatly if they are going to maintain the Everton front rank at the standard of merit it has usually attained.  Michaels made several capital runs, and Lacey was hard working, but the outcome of it all was no more satisfactory than in the case of any of the other forwards.
West’s Atonement.
For the first twenty minutes Everton had an excellent share of the game, but hardly a shot was made.  Those by the Forest, too, were quite harmless.  More than once dashes by West and Morris left the former with a comparatively clear course, but he could do nothing in the way of finding the mark.  At the end of twenty two minutes, however, he made some advance on his previous efforts.  Ryalls gave him a delightful pass, and rushing in, West shot low, Scott got down and diverted the ball on to the far post, where it appeared to waver a good deal before entering the net.  A minute or so later, Ryalls again pressed deftly to West, but this time his shot was wide, and Scott subsequently twice cleared from Ryalls himself.  On the second occasion he did so he had to run out, and before he could get back Marrison again directed into goal.  The Everton keeper was, however, quite equal to the attempt.  Smith saved shots from Makepeace and Lacey, but he was probably in most danger of being beaten when Dudley passed sharply back to him at close range, leaving the goalkeeper only just time to kick away.  Young once got into a favorable position and beat himself, and at the commencement of the second half he brought himself into prominence by putting up his foot and injuring Smith in the chest as he was clearing a centre from Michaels.  Marrison made a very nice opening for West, who, however, shot slowly, and another attempt by him, with more force, was a trifle wide of the mark.  Ryalls and West were again seen in combination, but Scott dealt with the shot, and sterling work by Morris did not meet with the success it desired.  West got through on the right, only to find when he centred that none of the other forwards were up, and upon essaying another attempt he missed with his shot.  An effort by Morris came to nothing, and Harris and Young sent past when they ought to have done much better.  Indeed, in the second half the visiting forwards put in only one good shot.  Towards the close Freeman directed from the left, and the ball, striking the bar, glanced over.
Morris The Master
The outstanding feature of the game was the grand play of Morris.  He did nothing in the shooting line, but he was in magnificent form, and his lovely dribbles were something to remember.  West was the bustling forward he always is, but he was off colour in his shooting, whilst Marrison was clever and disappointing in turn.  Ryalls performed capitally.  He had very little leading work, but his passes were executed with great judgment and he made openings for West with the highest skill.  Horrocks played fairly.  The half-back line was strong.  Wolfe allowed Freeman no latitude, and Needham was far too clever for the Everton right wing, whilst Hughes was successful in spoiling the left.  The backs were a great deal safer than they have been for a long time.  Both tackled and kicked well.  So did the Everton pair, Clifford rendering yeoman service.  The half-backs were also useful.  Harris was a constant draw on Morris and Borthwick could claim some credit for the fact that West could do so little in the way of shooting on account of his persistent attentions.  Little was seen of Freeman, and Young accomplished a lot of hard work to little purpose.  The Everton forwards all round were very disappointing.  Nottingham Forest;- Smith; Dudley, Maltby; Hughes, Wolfe, Needham; Ryalls, Marrison, West, Morris, and Horrocks.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace (captain); Michaels, Lacey, Freeman, Young and Mountford.  Referee.  J. W. Bailey, Leicester. 

November 22, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Ordinarily the advantage of a side playing on their own ground is supposed to be equal to a goal. Judged by this standard Everton did not do badly in losing by a goal to nil on Nottingham Forest's enclosure. Still, it must be confessed that the result was disappointing. The changes in the Everton front line were expected to be beneficial to the play of the team as a whole, but truth no tell, there was no improvement on some of the displays which since the season opened have been served up by the Evertonians. It was not so much a question of contrast between the methods of older and younger players as a continued inability to produce what is known as the Everton class of play. All clubs at one time or another have to pass though their bad times. It is Everton's turn with a vengeance, but even the darkest cloud has a silver lining, and with a board of directors, who are knowed with the spirit of enterprise these should be bright days for the Goodison road club before the season closes.

Meanwhile some impression of the latest reverse at Nottingham must be recorded. After the frost and subsequent thaw, coupled with the prevalence of fog, the conditions were favourable neither for players, nor spectators; indeed for a great part of the game it was difficult to follow the proceedings with any degree of accuracy. This did not prevent one coming to the conclusion that with all the difficulties, which the men had to encounter the standard, attained never got beyond mediocrity. It was in the matter of attack that both sides were at fault. The Foresters, it is true, made more chances for themselves, but in midfield the Blues also did creditable work, though they were even greater chances than the Forest –and this is saying a good deal –when it came to an effort to beat the keeper. Really the forward work of both lines was not capital to say the least. West was man who won the game for the Forest, though there was an element of luck in the goal which gave the home side a welcome victory after some disagreeable experience of late on their own ground. If Scott had not bothered himself with appealing for offside, the goal might never have been scored. Ryalls, on the outside right punted the ball well towards goal, and West, who was lying close in, raced after it. The Everton custdian's appeal being disregarded by the referee, he had only time to divert the ball against the post, and in the dim light West appeared to bang the leather against the upright, whence it glanced into the net. Anyhow, it was the point, which proved Everton's undoing, although in the last few minutes Freeman came near equalising with a great shot which grazed the top of the crossbar.

As may be gathered it was not a game in which either the general or individual play aroused much enthusiasm. The Everton front line was disappointing. Freeman was too closely shadowed to have much chance of distinguishing himself. Michaels and Lacey were slightly the better wing for Young had not too resourceful a partner in Mountford, who seems to lack that finishing dash which is essential in an outside forward. Borthwick suffered from an injury sustained early on, and this naturally affected his play. Both Makepeace and Harris worked hard throughout, and once again Clifford was superior to Macconnachie. On Saturday's exhibition the Forest are no great side. They have a good defence and Morris was the pick of the forwards, West, although scoring the goal, which won the match, being very erractic in front of goal. Teams: - Notts Forest: - Halsall, goal, Dubley, and Michaels, backs, Maltby, Borthwick, and Hooper, half-backs, Ryalls, Forester, West, Morris, and Horrick, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, Micheals Lacey, Freeman, Young, and Mountfield, forwards .

November 20, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo
At Goodison Park. Teams : - Everton: - Berry goal, Stevenson and Bramball, backs Allan Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Mcfaralnce, Kay, Jones Gourlay, and Turner forwards. Whitechurch: - Bigham, goal, Dodds, and Brochley backs, Hughes, Thomson, and Stanley half-backs, Bettley, Dean, Rowland, A Hughes and Vaughan forwards. This friendly match was played at Goodison Park this afternoon. As usual with friendly matches, the attendance was rather on the small side, but kept gradually improving. Everton kicked off and attacked but the ball was sent behind. After a brief in incursion by the visitors, the home club again attacked, Adamson missing the goal by inches. The visitors retaliated and the result of a bristle onslaught, a corner was forced, but this was cleared. Everton got away nicely from the goal kick, but Jone's shot went over the bar. Another well-concerted movement by the home team gave them an opening, a splendid attempt, by Gourlay just failing to score. After some even play, the Everton got away again, and Jones scored after Bingham had saved. Final Result Everton 4, Whitechurch nil.

November 23, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Senior Cup Semi-Final.
The semi-final tie at Goodison Park yesterday between Everton and St Helens Rec, provided a very good game. Even allowing for the fact that the ground was hard and slippery, the football shown rarely rose above mediocrity and the forward play on both sides was especially poor. Some of the players did not appear able to locate the goal, and good shots were rare. Everton won by two goals to nil, and deserved the victory, but apart from the satisfaction of reaching the final stages of the competition they had little to pride themselves upon. The Recs played with considerable dash, and fought galliantly to the end, and were somewhat unlucky in not getting a goal, but Everton's forwards were again very disappointing. There was no score in the first half, and indeed neither side looked like getting a goal. True Scott made one fine save at short range from Williams, and picked up and cleared a swift low shot from the same player, while Doig had a few slow shots to stop; otherwise both goalkeepers were idea. It seemed as through neither set of forwards had any idea of the art of scoring, nor it was due to Harris the Everton half-back, that the home side opened the scoring 10 minutes after the change of ends. Harris made a fine run, and beating several opponents gave Freeman a chance, which he accepted to the full. Afterwards Ryder nearly beat Scott with a fine long shot, the ball turning of the goalkeeper's hands, and –unfortunately for the Recs –rebounding for Scott to make no mistake at the second time of asking. Everton went away, and Mountford getting the better of Dalton put on the second goal. Afterwards Scott made a good save on the goal line from Cunliffe, and Doig kept put some good shots in the closing stages. The defences had much the better of the argument all through, for little was seen of the forwards. At back Clifford kicked better then Balmer, while Dalton was in fine form for the Recs. Ryder was the finest half back on the field, through Harris ran him close. and Weller showed himself to be a centre half of distinct promise. Williams was the outstanding forward on the Recs' side, while Freeman and Mountford were the best of a moderate Everton quintette.

Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, Weller, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Freeman, Young, and Mountford, forwards. St. Helens Recreation: - Doig, goal, Dalton, and Williams, backs, Holden, Ryder, and Patten, half-backs, Williams, Lee, Chorley, Fairclough, and Cunliffe, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 29 November 1909
Everton 2 Sunderland 1
By Junius
Everton have been in the throes of experiment recently.  They have afforded an extended trial to some of their reserve players but without success, and the fact of only having gained one goal during November –this resulting from a penalty kick-led the directors to revert to the old and well-tried performers under their control, with a view of changing the procedure.  In my opinion the most important alteration was that of bringing Taylor back again to the centre half position.  An injury to Borthwick the previous week led to this decision, and there is no mistaking the influence which the veteran exerts on the fortunes of his side.  Makepeace missed his first match of the season, owing to an injury sustained while playing golf, hence Adamson was given his initial trial with the Leaguers during the present campaign.  The first half produced a most even display of football, and though Everton led at the interval by a goal to nil, there was little to choose between the contending sides.  As a matter of fact the Wearsiders were the more dangerous during the early stages, and Clark tested the home defence severely.  However, after fifteen minutes’ warfare a good goal was gained by Everton.  Some clever work between Young and Turner enabled the latter to place the ball across to Sharp, who seemed in a suspiciously offside position. 
Coleman’s Couple
He sent back to Coleman, and the inside-right headed past Roose in most approved style.  The succeeding play did not flag in interest for Sunderland were in an aggressive mood, but when halt-time arrived Everton still enjoyed a lead of one goal.  After the resumption the Wearsiders gave an even better exhibition, and Scott was hard pressed by Low, while one clearance from Holley, who accepted a centre from Clark, was splendidly negotiated.  Pretty footwork on the Everton right enabled Coleman to get clean away, and when within the danger zone the inside right sent in a lovely drive, which beat the redoubtable Roose completely.  The Wearsiders did not surrender, however, and despite the fact that they finished the match with ten players –Jarvie being hurt –they were more effective during this period than heretofore.  Holley, who had been displaying grand form at centre forward, burst through all opposition, and after baffling the defence, placed to Bridgett, who had no difficulty in defeating Scott. 
Everton’s Emendation
The football exhibited by the Everton team was in advance of anything shown by them since the game with Liverpool on the first Saturday in October.  There was method in their work, and though mistakes were forthcoming, these were pardoned simply because the underlying idea of intelligent intention was clearly apparent.  The chief weakness of the forwards was their ineffectiveness at close quarters, and Coleman, who was the best of the attackers, was the one player who seemed capable of levelling a decent shot at Roose.  An improvement was noticeable on the left wing, and now that Turner has become assured that his ankles are perfectly sound we may see some better play in this branch of the Everton vanguard.  Sharp and Freeman put in some smart footwork, and they kept the defence fully extended.  The inclusion of Adamson at left half-back did not weaken the efficiency of the eleven, and a better substitute for Makepeace could not be desired.  In every respect, the Lochgelly youth is a prototype of the Lancashire cricketer.  His tackling was particularly fine, while in placing to his forwards he was seldom at fault.  Taylor made several mistakes but he also rectified many blunders, and checked the most dangerous advances of his opponents.  Harris played a fine game, and further behind, the defence of Clifford and Balmer could scarcely have been excelled. 
Sunderland’s Snapshots
Two players stood out prominently in the Sunderland forward line.  Holley was a most determined centre, and appeared to be imbued with a fanatical desire to score.  He frequently communed with the slippery surface by reason of this dour desire, and when he retired at half-time, he carried with him to the dressing room more marks of the struggle than the remaining twenty-one players combined.  Clark is a most promising outside right, for he showed a capital command of the ball, and an intuitive knowledge of the location of the goal posts.  Low gave him every assistance and seeing that he was operating in an unaccustomed position shaped most creditably.  Mordue proved a useful winner, and some of his maneuvers were distinctly clever.  All the half-backs did well, and the tireless, trustful Thomson was always troubling his adversaries.  He persists in obtruding when least wanted, and his sturdy physique is a matter of moment to an opponent.  The two full backs were good; I liked Troughear immensely.  His kicking was clean, and there was not a suspicion of roughness in his methods.  He accomplished his object by skill, and often by sheer persistency.  Milton was a rare warrior –a vigorous and whole-hearted defender –who was never satisfied with work.  Roose was not often called upon.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Balmer (R.); Harris, Taylor, Adamson; Sharp (captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner.  Sunderland; L.R. Roose; Troughear, Milton; Tait, Thomson, Jarvie;  Clark, Low, Holley, Bridgett, and Mordue.  Referee; Mr. C.C. Fallowfield, London. 

November 29 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
It was a pity that Everton's return to a winning vein should have been reserved for such a miserable sample of weather as was served up on Saturday afternoon. The brightness of the morning gave promise of a big crowd at Goodison Park, where Sunderland have invariably been an attractive team, but, the lowering sky and the torrential downpours which followed not only kept many intending spectators away, but affected the ground to an extent which rendered the going extremely heavy. Still, it was a very hard game, and while Everton just about deserved the victory by two goals to one, Sunderland put up a fight, which was commendable in only slightly lesser degree. Everton's victory syuchronished with a return to the original forward line, but while welcome improvement was witnessed in this department, it must be conceded that Everton in some measure owed their success to a grand display of goalkeeping by Scott, who was in quite his best international form. However, Scott is a member of the side, and it would be ungracious even to suggest what might have happened if the custodian had not been in this happy mood. The essential fact is, Everton prevailed 2-1.

Another pleasing feature was that the side in all departments was more like the Everton we know. They gave us some exhilarating play, and imparted earnestness to their work, which was eminently gratifying. They were opposed too by an eleven who were equally zealous for the honour of their club, and who also gave of their best. The result was a contest which especially in view of the conditions, could not fail to satisfy the spectators. The opening half produced only one goal, and that fell to Everton, it can a quarter of an hour after the start. Adamson, who was deputising for Makepeace temporarily on the injured list, had been providing his wing with lovely passes, and from one of these Young and Turner carried the ball down, for the latter to send across the goalmouth. Sharp received and returned to Coleman, who cleverly headed past Roose. Neither Scott nor Roose had an idle time, and soon after the resumption the Everton keeper kept out a beauty from Holley. It was following a foul on Coleman that Harris planted the ball well forward for the ex-Arsenal man to rush in and score with a shot, which left Roose helpless. Sunderland never gave in, and curiously enough after Jarvie had left the field injured they obtained their only success. This was the outcome of a fine run by Holley, who gave an opening to Bridgett that was promptly turned to account. It was a ding dong struggle right to the end, and just before the whistle blew Scott obliged with a thrilling save from Bridgett.

Dealing first with Everton, Scott must be sleighed out for special mention. He gave a masterly display and was even more in the eye than the redoubtable Roose, who, however, on two occasions at least, by running out prevented whatever chance of Freeman might have had of registering his characteristic goals. Clifford and Balmer were a fine pair of backs, and while Taylor –the veteran was heartily welcomed on his reappearance –and Harris were always in the think of the fray. Adamson gave a wonderfully finished display. Apart from scoring a couple of goals, Coleman was the most effective forward on the side. He was greatly assistaned by Sharp, who got in some splendid centres. Freeman although closely attended to by the sturdy Thomson, was difficult to hold, and the left wing rendered useful service. Young at times being exceedingly tricky even on the churred up ground. Sunderland posses a capable side, and one which never knows when it is beaten. Roose-well was Roose –and to the defence none appeared to greater advantage than Thomson, while Bridgett and Holley were the stars of the attack. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Adamson, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner, forwards. Sunderland: - Roose, goal, Thougheur, and Milton, backs, Tait, Thompson, and Jurde, half-backs, Clarke, Low, Hulky, Bridgett, and Mordue, forwards. Referee C.C. Fallowfield.

November 29, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 13)
Everton were beaten by Manchester City by a goal to nil. The City were just the better side, but the goal which James scored might very well have been stopped by Berry, while Jones and Moutford each had hard lines in not scoring for the visitors. Macconnachie played a fine game, and was easily the best back on the field . Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie, backs, Allen, Webster, and Weller, half-backs, Marfarlane, Lacey, Jones Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards .




November 1909