Everton Independent Research Data


November 2, 1916. The Evening Express.
Everton, with their victorious forces in the field, should be able to account for Oldham, on Saturday, for though the latter ran Manchester City to a good goal last week, they had their clever goalkeeper Howard Matthews mainly to thank for their approach to salvation. The former gave a really neat display, and small wonder the Hyde-road crowd cheered him so enthusiastically. The teams on Saturday will probably take the field as follows:- Oldham; Matthews; Grundy, Wilson; Jackson, Pilkington, Cavanagh; Taylor, Dawson, Aldred, Gee, Bracegridle. Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison.

November 3, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton at Oldham, have a district chance of rising a point or two. I grant at once that Oldham recently have been worth more than their league record suggests, and also that they beat Blackburn Rovers. But remember David Wilson and Matthews. Athletic backbone, will find the Everton forwards tricky and capable of strong shots. Oldham; Matthews; Grundy, Wilson; Jackson, Pilkington, Cavanagh; Taylor, Dawson, Aldred, Gee, Bracegridle. Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison.

November 4, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Unchanged Side v. Oldham
F.E.H.’s Report
For the fifth week in succession, Everton had the same eleven. At any rate, the same eleven was chosen to represent the club, and although Oldham’s Athletic have recently beaten Blackburn Rovers, Everton felt that their well-welded side would just about gain the full points. Tussles between Everton and Oldham at Boundary Park have always been keen, and the margins have not been heavy. Oldham; Matthews, goal; Grundy and Hallas, backs; Wolstenhomes, Wilson and Cavanagh, half-backs; Taylor, Dawson, Aldred, Gee and Brecogirdle, forwards. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith and Thompson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. The Evertonians made the journey in good time, and were able to appear as originally selected. The home side, however, found some difficulty in whipping up a full eleven, and it was into when a start was made. Oldham among other changes, gave a trial to Hallas, a very useful youngster from Touge. By an apparently strange freak of fortunate the weather at Oldham this afternoon was almost balmy in its mildness. There was no wind, and the sun managed at times to struggle through the clouds, which would always seem to overhang the town of cotton. In spite of the agreeable and unusual conditions, the attendance was anything but commensurate with the importance of the match when the players turned out. Everton won the toss, and Oldham were set the task of fighting uphill. Apart from this there was no disadvantage, inasmuch as the air was perfectly calm. After the preliminary exchanges the visitors moved down on the left, and Harrison swung the leather to Lloyd, who should certainly have scored, but he shot ridiculously wide of the mark. This mistake was so much appreciated by the Athletic that they in turn made smart progress on the left wing, and Fleetwood had all his work cut out in order to dislodge Taylor and Dawson. For some time after this the fight was located to the middle of the arena, but Everton gradually worked their way down, and after Llody had third to make amends for his former mistake Clennell wriggled through to put in a dangerous shot, which was well negotiated by the home keeper. Morris and Kirsopp was next concerned in a clever movement which threatened danger for Oldham, but unfortunately, Cavanagh stepped in at a critical moment and cleared his lines. A breeze had no sprung up, and Everton taking advantage of it, proceeding to bombard the home goal. The three inside men were particularly busy, and Clennell from long range, sent in a glorious shot, which Matthews saved by a superhuman effort. The home forwards then went away with quite starting suddenness. They rushed the Everton halves on one side and Dawson put in a terrific shot, which Mitchell partially cleared. A tremendous bully followed and in the course of the ball was handled by one of the defenders.
A Penalty
A penalty being result. The kick was taken by Wilson, who shot with great vigour, but Mitchell intercepted it with great agility. Extremely fast play followed, both sides being now thoroughly wound up, and the crowd, which by this time had increased appreciably, were favoured with a series of thrills at each end. Everton steadying themselves after escaping the penalty, proceeding to again to harass the home defenders, and Clennell attempted another long drive, which might well have found the target. The Athletic forwards, on the other hand, were by no means idle, and Aldried had one pop at goal that occasioned some anxiety. The Evertonians however, were more combined in their methods, and with a little more steadiness in front of goal they must inevitably have pieced Matthews charges. Clennell for the fourth time tried to break down the barrier with a great shot and Morris was well placed when he shot yards wide. Harrison then took up the tale, but she also was in too great a hurry, and this final effort proved ineffective. Good work on the part of the Oldham half-back put Aldred and his wings in possession, and Dawson looked very like getting through when he was smartly stalled off by Thompson. Everton were soon again busy, and this time Llody after showing a clean pair of heels to Hallas, sent a leather flying on to the stand. A subsequently attack on the part of the Oldham forward looked as though they might have the honour of opening the score for, though perfectly placed, Dawson hesitated and so permitted Thompson to clear. Still the Athletic vanguard kept up a sturdy if unconnected fusillade and a sustained on slaught terminated in Wilson driving the ball high over Nuttall’s head. Ten minutes from the interval Everton redoubled their efforts to gain the lead, and Lloyd was flying down the wing which he was rather badly winded in collision with Hallas. A fugitive effort on the part of Harrison came to nothing though when he and Clennell returned a moment later a corner was forced. This led to a grim struggle, in which Grenyer and Fleetwood both played an active part, but the situation was nullified when Morris put over the crossbar. Subsequently Kirsopp was well accounted for by the home defenders, and when the left wing pair tried to improve the shining hour they were no more successful.
Halt-time; Oldham 0, Everton 0
The first half had provided a really good exposition of robust football. The footwork and keenness of the Everton forwards was often beyond praise. The great faults lay in the fact that they simply would not steady themselves when well in the firing line. Thanks to this Clennell missed at least half-a-dozen changes of finding the net, while Lloyd, Kirsopp, and Morris were almost equally culpable. Oldham on the other hand were always dangerous when they did get away, and full credit must be given to Mitchell, not only for a penalty but for being always watchful and alert. The Everton halves in the main were thoroughly sound, and Thompson did a lot of fine, defensive work.
Second Half. There were about 2,000 spectators present when the contest was resumed. Thompson was early called upon to check an incursion by the home right. Everton immediately replied by breaking away on the left, and a well-judged centre was sent in which Kirsopp fired with deadly force against the upright. Matthew’s got to it and threw clear, but to many it looked as though the leather had certainly cross the line. After this there was some exciting work in midfield, both sides striving strenuously for mastery. Morris put in magnificent shots, which were wonderfully well gathered by the home custodian. The visitors kept up the attack in the most strenuous manner. Success crowned their efforts, of, as the result of a clever combined movement Kirsopp got possession at close range, and beat Matthews with a well devised shot. Having obtained the lead, the wearers of the Blue jerseys played with much greater steadiness and their attacks were better directed. Everton returning Kirsopp scored a second goal.
Goal Scorers
Kirsopp for Everton
Kirsopp scored a second for Everton.

November 6, 1916. The Evening Express.
At Oldham the Everton side was too much of a proposition for Oldham Athletic. Oldham had some difficulty in getting a team together but what the Athletic lacked in the way of science they made up for in determination. The first half was void of any score, but the honours in attacking certainly went to the Everton side. Clever goalkeeping by Matthews and dogged defence by the home backs kept the scoring sheet clear. Oldham did not have many chances, but when they did get near to Mitchell they very much lacked coolness. The second half was quite a contrast to the first. The play was all through well worth watching, but there was no question which was the superior side. Mitchell did not have much to accomplish, but his backs and halves were kept steadily employed. T eh left wing was the better of the Everton attack.

November 9, 1916. The Evening Express.
Saturday will see MaConnachie in the Everton ranks against Preston. Smith is playing in a charity match at Wolverhampton, for West Bromwich, hence” Mac’s” return. Thus two regular Evertonians will be charitiably occupied, Fleetwood being called into service at Newcastle. All the same they should be capable of doing all that is necessary so far as the Northerners are concerned.

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 09 November 1916
 John S. Maoonnachie, of the Royal Flying Corps, obtained the necessary leave, and will help Everton on Saturday in their home match with Preston —this will his first game for Everton this season, but is tip-top form, having played with the Corps' team regularly. Smith, the Albion back, is absent through charity game at Wolverhampton.
—Ted Taylor, the goalkeeper, getting on nicely in the Norwood centre, and will play for Fulham against Chelsea Saturday, if leave granted.

November 10, 1916 The Evening Express.
Everton have what on paper is far the easier task of the twain, and the fact that they will have the advantage of the services of MaConnachie will stand them in good stead. Bradbury takes Fleetwood’s burden upon his shoulders, though it has been suggested to me that a chance might have been given to Chaloner. However, the decision of the Everton directors naturally rules, and the following side is chosen, Mitchell still retaining his position in goal:- Mitchell; MaConnachie, Thompson; Bradbury, Wareing, Grenyer; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison.

Liverpool Echo - Monday 13 November 1916
At  Everton we saw a game of many points and a lop-sided side victorious.  Lloyd has latterly played without confidence, and this tricky period in his career should be carefully considered. His form is all too bad to be true. All Kirsopp's  good work went to nought, but Lloyd will, with encouragement, "come on,  I feel certain.
Upheld Their Reputation.
Preston came to Everton witha  reputation for being the most unlucky side in the tourney- Well, now, teams make their own good fortune—at any rate, that is my dictum; and Preston had chiefly themselves to blame for their defeat on Saturday, whereas Everton for the fourth time in six weeks won 3—l, and for the sixth week in succession beat their opponents.  They timed their rushes to a " t," and kicked sturdily, but, they strayed three times, and each error led up to a goal.  One can't blame Everton for that, though the fact must be mentioned, and that Everton made the mistakes good by three goals is to their credit.  Of course, Everton's side lost strength by the absence of Fleetwood and Grenyer, but the deputies did well and Bradbury made the strongest shot of the match- towards his own goal!   That was a fine save of Mitchell's!  On the other hand, Taylor was shaky till the second half. Harrison had a field day, and Clennell, with goals and many fancy kicks, played a storming game. Morris worked hard at centre, and full back Dunn (who finished lame) and Thompson earned good marks. On the Preston side the half backs were noticeable, and Edmonton, Hosker, and Broad did many good things, Broad in particular taking the eye by his sprinting and centring, albeit he would have served his side better if he had passed the ball instead of shooting.
Galt, Houston, and Taylor
These two ex-Everton players are "in the news," Houston has been suspended for six weeks for rough play and Galt playing for Fulham – was badly injured – a scalp wound of much deep and length. 

Liverpool Echo -Wednesday 15 November 1916
Bee's Notes
Everton have left out Lloyd, the winger, for Saturday's game at Burnley, and have settled upon Frank Jefferis as their extreme winger.  So long has Jefferis been the "purveyor" that it will be interesting to see what happens when the " 'boot is the other foot," and is provided with the gliding passes of Kirsopp.  Jefferis played for the League team in the Cameron game last week, but with Everton his appearances have latterly been infrequent. He is a stylish player, and I know of no forward who is an unselfish. He is always content to see a goal gotten, and does not strain himself to shoot if a co-forward is in a better position for shooting. The team is much stronger than last week, and needs to if Burnley are to be overcome. Team; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson: Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, and Harrison.
Broken Into Verse.
The precise -victories of Everton in the last weeks have led a correspondent verse. As you know, Everton have scored three goals each week for a long spell.  This is the correspondent's letter:
What do you make of Everton's eternal ending, 3—l ?  Are they afraid on extra goalwill break something, in additionto  the record? I thought you would like to hear that Jim Frew (like Hearts and Military International back) is in the forward line—shooting well—as a gunner. He says it is the sightof a lifetime to see " fifty or sixty of our aeroplanes, spotting, signalling, and bombing," and that fights in the air are daily occurrence—the popular betting being 10 to 1 on theBritisher.  Will you give Everton  a hint to alter the figures for Saturday, but without changing their luck!  I have burst into song over it.
Three to  one!  Everton -you're doing nicely.
Pray tell me why you still win so precisely?
Have you a by-law restricting the scoring
Or, after three, do you find it gets boring ?
Four to two—that do—no one would grumble
If in your reckoning you slightly slumber.
Make sure you win -never mind by what number.

Newcastle Journal - Thursday 16 November 1916
Edgar Chadwick, the veteran international, who played five times against Scotland, the first long ago as 1891, turned out for Blackburn Rovers on Saturday against Manchester United. Chadwick obtained all his international caps while with Everton, and since he  retired from football has been one of the known and most successful coaches of international teams on the Continent.


November 16, 1916, The Liverpool Echo
Donnachie For Reds
Bee’s Notes
Everton let it be known, have acted very generously in the matter of the Cameron game, and Mr. McKenna is anxious that the club and secretary Mr. W.C. Cuff, should be publicly thanked for their services in connection with the representative game that will take Boyle from Burnley and possibly Barnes from City. The appearance of MaConnachie for the first time this season in the Everton side is a call to the public and in view of Everton’s succession of victories I expect to see a large crowd gathered at Goodison. Teams; Everton :- Mitchell; MaConnachie, Thompson; Bradbury, Wareing, Grenyer; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison. Preston:- Taylor; Green, Threfall; Houldsworth, J. McCall, Clayton; Broad, Jackson, Edmondson, Fazackerley, Swarbrick.
Donnachie will be playing for Liverpool against Southport tomorrow.

November 11, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Edgar Chadwick the old Everton, Blackpool and Blackburn forward, whose last appearance in anything like senior football was his game at Goodison Park, when a charity match was played by Jack Sharp’s side versus the Boxers eleven. Edgar is forty-seven years off age, and for some years he was trainer of continental side, playing today for Blackburn Rovers against Manchester United.

November 11, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
MaConnachie Unable to get leave
Bee’s Special
Everton, having won five weeks in succession, were hopeful that today’s game with that unlucky side, Preston North End, would yield them further points, and thus help them on their way to the head of the League chart. Owing to the Cameron match at Newcastle-on-Tyne, Fleetwood was absent from the home side, and another charity match drew Smith, the Albion and Everton back, so that when the announcement was made that John McConnachie of the R.F.C was about to play his first game of the season with his club the local folk were delighted. However, yesterday, McConnachie was found to be unable to get leave from the Army, and Everton had to make fresh arrangements.
Return of Barlow
Preston were without Fazackerley, who was undergoing a “medical” examination, but George Barlow the one time Everton winger, reappeared with North End. Referee Howcroft, by the way, had never before in his long innings had control of an Everton-Preston meeting. Teams:- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Dunn, backs; Challnor, Wareing and Bradbury, half-backs; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Morris (Stoke), Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Preston North End:- Taylor, goal; Green and Speak, backs; Houldsworth, McColl and Layton, half-backs; Broad, Jackson, Edmondson, Hosker, G. Barlow, forwards. There was much determination shown after Everton had kicked off, and the extreme left-wingers, were to the fore with centres and shots, Harrison were the better intentioned. Barlow making job shot right into goal, but lacking sting in his deliver. The forwards of both sides, worried the defences for some time, and a little steadiness in front of goal would have meant trouble for Mitchell. As it was the ball was put high over by Hosker and Edmondson, Broad wise centres coming to naught. Clennell made a fine feint and McColl stopped Morris close in, while Challinor a surprise selection –shaped very well. The thirteenth minute was fatal to Preston, Harrison had taken a corner, and Clennell, as is his custom on such occasions was lying well out. Kirsopp put the ball to goal, and Taylor did not clear well. There was another blunder in defence by Preston and when the ball went out to Clennell he had little room in which to work. He placed a shot, half speed to the right of the goal, and Taylor went low to get down to the very low ball, which entered the net. Preston did some particularly good things in their endeavour to equaliser. Broad making flying runs and hard shots, and Hosker adopting unusual for advance. Preston were doomed to give up another unsatisfactorily, and a mistake in defence led up to the point. Harrison was unable to get a full-blooded shot after Speak had erred, yet the ball slowly travelled beyond two or three players and over the line. Whatever their luck be, Preston certainly never tried of trying and Barlow and Broad together with Hosker’s doggedness, made much ground; while Speak’s hefty kicks were spoilt by their excessive heights. But this lusty back performed one test I have never before witnessed. He was putting the ball into touch, and landed it into the press box which, as you may know, is a good distance from the touchline, and pitched at a great height. The goalkeepers were not over burdened with work, and incidentally Taylor was uncertain in his movement. However when Clennell made a pass to Harrison, North End’s defence was caught napping, and Clennell put in a shot of much merit, but was a shade too high. Morris made a dashing solo, but showed lack of judgement when he persisted in trying to score when Kirsopp was better placed for the shot and unmarked. Right on the interval, Edmondson dashed the ball against the upright –had fortune for Preston.
Half-time; Everton 2, Preston 0.
When the game was resumed there were three swift chapters of point. First Kirsopp’s capital run, and shot –Taylor made a brilliant clearance –and next a fine centre by Barlow which Edmondson could not quite reach. Finally there was a run by Broad which should have meant extremely difficult work for Everton defence. Broad however, made the feeblest of finishes. Later Broad somewhat redeemed his error, and he and Barlow put the ball to goal in such a manner that they looked like scoring. A corner was the only result. Play flagged a bit, and a lack of balance was noticeable in the Everton attack through Lloyd’s weakness. The deputy half-backs fared fairly well, and were not responsible for Preston’s reduction of the lead. The goal came after fifty-five minutes, through a clean shot, beyond a ruck of players and after Hosker had been unlucky with a shot which hit the foot of the post. Broad could have gained another goal if he had passed instead of shooting at an awkward angle. The penalty of this case of misjudgement was instantly witnessed, for Green blundered and Harrison straightaway centred for Clennell to score. Time one hour –North’s End’s backs wondering what had come over them.
Goal Scorers
Clennell scored for Everton after thirteen minutes
Harrison scored in 27 minutes
Clayton scored in 55 minutes
Clennell scored after sixty minutes.

November 13, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Preston came to Everton with a reputation for being the most unlucky side in the tourney. Well, now, team makes their own good fortune –at any rate that is my decision and Preston had chiefly themselves to blame for their defeat on Saturday, whereas Everton for the fourth time in six weeks won 3-1, and for the sixth week in succession beat their opponents. They timed their rushes to a “T” and kicked sturdily but they strayed three times and each error led to a goal. One can’t blame Everton for that, though the facts must be mentioned and that Everton made the mistake good by three goals to their credit. Of course Everton’s side lost strength by the absence of Fleetwood and Grenyer, but the deputies did well and Bradbury made the strongest shot of the match –towards his own goal. That was a fine save of Mitchell’s. On the other hand Taylor was slack till the second half, Harrison had a fine day, and Clennell with goals and many fancy kicks, played a storming game. Morris worked hard at centre, and at full back Dunn (who finished lame) and Thompson reached good marks. On the Preston side the half-backs were noticeable and Edmondson, Hosker, and Broad did many good things. Broad in particular taking the eye by his sprinting and centring.
Galt, Houston and Taylor
These two ex-Everton players are in the news today. Houston has been suspended for six weeks for rough play, and Galt playing for Fulham –on which side appeared Ted Taylor, -was badly injured –a scalp wound of much depth and length.

November 13, 1916. The Evening Express.
The Preston players gave a display which was dogged and determined enough at Goodison Park, but the home side were always able to maintain the upper hand of them, and their victory of 3-1 was well deserved. Mitchell’s goalkeeping was excellent, and he had by no means an idle time. There was an element of luck about one or two of his saves, but they were brought off all right, and that after all is the main thing. Thompson gave his usual masterly display at full back, and he had an excellent partner in Dunn, who was called into service at the last moment. The reconstituted half back line worked well, both Chalnor and Bradbury justying their inclusion, whilst the forward line when it really awakened into activity was of commanding power, with Clennell and Harrison particularly dangerous customers. Morris showed marked improvement. As a whole, however, the game was not in point of general attractiveness up to its predecessors, and though the home team won all right they have given far better displays. But their victory was well deserved on the run of the play, though the depletion of forces rather tended to upset the general cohesion of the side.

November 15, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton have left out Lloyd the winger for Saturday’s game at Burnley, and they have settled upon Frank Jefferis, as their extreme winger. So long has Jefferis been the “purveyor” that it will be interesting to see what happen when the boot is on the other foot” and he is provided with the gliding passes of Kirsopp. Jefferis played for the League team in the Cameron game last week, but with Everton his appearance have latterly been infrequently. He is a stylish player, and I know of no forward who is as unselfish. He is always centring to see a goal gotten and does not strain himself to shoot if a co-forward is in a better position, for shooting. The team is much stronger than last week, and needs to be if Burnley are to be overcome. Team; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, and Harrison.

November 17, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton have to contend with a capital all round team tomorrow. They may not face Kelly, and if that is the case then their chances of a draw brighten, for Kelly is one of the “form” players of the season. Everton recall their old members, and with Jefferis on the right wing –extreme position –the right wing flank should be more balanced than for some time; team; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, and Harrison.

November 18, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Strengthened Side at Burnley
F.E.H Report
Everton’s long run, of success was in jeopardy today, for Burnley is not a generous team to its visitors –where points are concerned, that is. However, Everton had a strengthened side as compared with the eleven that won against Preston, Grenyer, Fleetwood, and Smith being in the selection list and thus prospecting a strong side against the strong opponents. Everton having given Llody a long trial decided to bring in Jefferis and inside winger all his life, and the experience was being watched with much interest by the followers of the club. The long and tedious journey to Burnley was made, through alternate sunshine and showers of sleet. The populous borough was not reached until two o’clock, and the players had to rush to the ground in order to be in time. Here the weather was simply vile, snow blowing in from the edge of hills which fringe the far side of Turf Moor. Everton played the same team as selected, except that Smith, who had a bad toe, stood down, and Dunn took his place. The home side had several alterations, and Kelly was the most notable absentee. Apart from this Burnley were well represented. The opponents lined up as follows:- Everton:- Mitchell, goal; Dunn and Thomspon, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris (Stoke), Clennell and Harrison, forwards. Burnley; Dawson, goal; Wareing and Cook, backs; Yates, Boyle, and Jos Wilde, half-backs; Halley, Lindley, Hastle, Johnson and Kellock, forwards. Referee; Mr. Alderson. Burnley started in the face of the snow storm, and after the opening exchanges they broke straight away on the right, but the ball was put harmlessly over the line. Everton then proceeded to take the fullest advantage of the committee. Kirsopp, opening in the game in fine fashion, threw the defenders out and finished with a swift low shot that Dawson gathered very cleverly. The visitors however, at once returned to the attack, and Kirsopp had another pop at the home goal, but this time he was offside. A breakaway by the Burnley forwards proved something of a diversion, but they could make really no progress against the blinding fell, and it was not long before the Evertonians were again.
Hammering at Dawson Charge
Morris and Clennell both got through with wonderful, smartness, but Clennell spoiled the movement by shooting over the bar. Considering the wretched conditions –I am writing these notes in the full blast of the storm, with the snow making a blotting pad of my paper, the pace was maintained at a there pace, and the few spectators present were privileged to see some really good football. Burnley in spite of the blizzard, showed an antagonistic spirit, and moving down in concerned order. Halley was enabled to put in a dangerous shot, which Mitchell helded smartly. Before the Everton halves could get going again, however, Lindley came through on his own account and was afforded a glorious opening, when he hesitated and so allowed Thompson to jump and clear. Following upon this the home forwards kept up a sturdy attack on the Everton goal and Hastie twice within an ace of finding the net. For quite a long time the Burnley men enjoyed the bulk of the pressure and a long shot from Kellock followed by another effort on the part of Lindley might have scored. At length the visitors wakened up, and this time their methods were much better. Harrison raced down the wing like a greyhound and finished a glorious centre, which Kirsopp should certainly “have converted” when he made a mistake. Fleetwood paved the way to a further assault on the part of the Evertonians, but the veteran Cook checked with all the vigour of his Oldham days, and Burnley once more took up the running. This time the visiting half back, showed their ability to useful purpose, and the Everton right was given possession, only to lose it after a rather tame effort on the part of Jefferis. Clever work by Boyle put the home quintette again in possession, but though they struggled bravely they could not finish accurately in the teeth if the storm, and most of the shots were cite. At the other end Everton were scarcely much better in their finishing touches Morris on one occasion ran clean through his field on the left, but finished with a very weak shot, which Dawson found little difficulty in clearing. Towards the close of the first half the visitors made play on the right and Jefferis getting in hit the side of the net with a rising shot. Subsequently a corner was forced, and this was well placed by the new Everton outside right. A stiff struggle followed. The Burnley defenders ultimately cleared their lines, and made dangerous play on the right. Halley and Lindley were checked in turn and Boyle unsuccessful when he tried to give his side the lead with a long hard drive.
Half-time; Burnley 0, Everton 0
Considering that they held such a weather advantage, Everton ought to have been leading at the turn. But if the truth must be told they had scarcely done themselves justice. The left wing pair were always busy, but somehow or other they failed just at the pinch. Clennell missed two fine changes, and Morris was to blame on at least one occasion. Jefferis did very well in his new position, but the day was not one in which anything like an accurate judgement could be made. The halves have all been seen to better advantage and it was just as well that the backs were sounded, for Boyle was a constant source of trouble.
The Second Half.
The players crossed over without leaving the field, and it was generally anticipated that Burnley would at once make matters warm for their antagonists. Everton, however, were the first to show fight. Harrison came through at top speed over, the snow scattered turf, and gave a perfect pass to Clennell, who missed a glorious opening. After this Burnley proceeded to harass the visitors in the most determined manner, but they could not quite find the target, though Mitchell saved a very hot one from Johnson. The visitors returned to the attack with renewed ammation and Clennell nipping between the two backs, scored a fine solo effort. After this success the Evertonians at once imparted more vigour into their play; they were pressing hotly when one of the home defenders was penalised, apparently for “hands” within the dreaded area. The referee granted the claim, and Clennell, taking the kick, scored a second goal amidst some signs of dissent on the part of the spectators. Having secured a double lead, the Evertonians eased up for a moment, and Burnley was not slow to initiate dangerous attack, but thanks mainly to Thompson, they were unable to ram it home. Then Halley broke away in fine fashion and Kellock had an open goal, when he missed it. In the closing stages the claret clad players made desperate efforts to retrieve their falling fortunes, for a whole fusillade of shots was sent in from both wings, but they were fired either too high or wide, with the result that Mitchell was not over frequently troubled. Eventually this determination was rewarded for Halley racing down the wing beat the Everton defence and scored with a raking shot.
Final; Burnley 2, Everton 2
Clennell scored for Everton
Clennell scored from a penalty
Halley scored for Burnley 10 minutes from time.
Johnson five minutes from time, equalising for Burnley.

November 20, 1916. The Evening Express.
Everton’s sequence of succession was broken at Turf Moor on Saturday, still if they could not win outright they find the next best thing in sharing the honours of the game that was contested under most untoward conditions. A strong wind, carrying with it snow and sleet, swept the ground and play resolved itself into a matter of endurance rather than an exhibition of skilful footwork. The Goodison Park contingent were fortunate in having the choice of ends in the first portion, though they failed to profit to any tangible extent, and at the turn, after play been forty minutes in progress, nothing had been scored by either side. Curious to relate, the respective elevens showed better judgement n controlling the ball when pitted against the wind, and not long after the resumption, Clennell recorded one of his characteristic goals, and then put on a second as the result of Boyle handling within the penalty area. This useful lead of two goals was held up to the last ten minutes of play, when quite a different complexion was placed upon affairs by an extraordinary rally on the part of the home team. As the outcome of one desperate effort, Halley reduced the lead, and five minutes from the finish Johnson drew-level, the contest finished up on level terms –a result that fairly well reflected on the general run of the play.

November 25, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee’s Special
Everton have not been beaten since the back end of September, when a Manchester club conquered them. Today, they were fared by another Manchester club, one that has in the last few weeks considerably improved its standard of play, and its position in the League chart, Manchester United have in successive weeks overcome Blackburn at the Rovers’ ground and Manchester City at their own (Old Trafford ground). Hence Everton’s prospects on a very keen and hard game today at Walton. Everton had full strength, Albert Smith of West Bromwich, was not playing owing to a damaged toe. Jefferis, as outside right, was the novelty appearance. United had Chris Buckley playing for them, and of course Anderson, Woodcock, and Co were in the ranks, thus United had a capital side to represent them. Teams:- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain)and Dunn, backs; Bradbury, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris (stoke), Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Manchester United; Swann, goal; Barlow and Silcock, backs; Molyneux (Norwich), C. Buckley and Forrester, half-backs; Crossley, Woodcock, Anderson, Hilditch, and Robinson, forwards. Fleetwood was suffering from a bad cold, and Bradbury took his place. Manchester made some late changes, Swann, the former Northern Nomads keeper and water pole player, deputises for Mew, and Crossley was at outside right instead of Lees. Molyneux the right half is the sturdy, young player of Norwich, who played for Liverpool until Goddard was discovered as a centre half. There was a sight rainfall at the start, and the crowd, when Thompson won the toss, was probably 10,000 strong. A staggy opening minutes was followed by a sensational goal. Grenyer cleverly baulked the way, Woodcock, and straight forward passing by Morris, Clennell and Harrison in turn, ended with a centre by Harrison, a blunder by Silcock and a snap goal to Kirsopp. Everton lost the services of Clennell for a while, he being damaged in collision, and they were glad that Thompson defended so stoutly, one of his hook clearances being long and strong. Woodcock and Anderson dovetailed effectively. The understanding between them was noteworthy. Swann brought off a clearance when Kirsopp got away, and Harrison tried a swinging drive which passed wide. United were slow to take chances, a vital case being seen now, when Woodcock centred across the goalmouth, and found no one capable of converting the ball. Even admitting that Woodcock’s centre was too strong, the fact remains that the centre was takable, and of nice height. Clennell no sooner reappeared then he scored, and for a damaged man his was a remarkable goal. First, let it be remembered that Clennell had his right eye plastered, and then add the spectacular goal (from an overhead kick) and you will realise what a popular point this twelfth minute goal was.
For a long time United were straggly, and were easily held. As for shots, well up to the moment Mitchell had little to do, although Woodcock more than once had a strong shot blocked. Morris once was wild and wasteful and another time he wound up a brilliant solo with a shot that went over. Again the centre-forward got through, and when Swann parried the ball Clennell rushed up and banged in a fierce drive, which Molyneux covered successfully. The goalkeeper had a comparatively easy time when the number of chances offered was considered. For instance Kirsopp failed to time a glorious-length centre from Harrison and Crossley mulled Anderson’s goal work by inability to perform a very ordinary football work. The home backs were quite equal to all the moderate attempts of the United, whose left wing was well out of the picture, and whose centre half was apparently lacking a few gallops. Near the interval the energetic Morris was knocked out, and Jefferis went a yard wide with a quickly-taken shot. It only wanted three minutes to half-time when Manchester reduced the leeway with the best shot of the match. Anderson was the scorer, and the movement was quick and clever from the start to finish. Dunn was beaten by Woodcock and when Crossley put the ball true and low Anderson took it up and turning towards the left he fired in a beautiful shot wide of Mitchell. The report would not be complete without mention of Grenyer’s excellent work i attack and defence.
Half-time; Everton 2, Manchester United 1.
There was no interval, the players turning straight round. The United left wing was very remiss as in the first half. Hilditch thoroughly mulled a present of a goal, and his incapacity for shooting quickly badly when compared with Clennell’s swift shots. When Harrison put the ball back to Clennell a shot was forthcoming and Swan caught the ball clean and true. Still United were more determined now then at any other point of the game and even if Mitchell did not have to handle direct shots he had to busy himself three times in as many seconds.
Two Items of Point
Amongst the spectators was Mr. Harold Hardman, for many years Everton’s outside left and now a director of Manchester United. Second point Morris, the centre forward was handicapped throughout the second half through a collision in the first half. After a lot of midfield work Harrison from an offside position, was allowed to play on, and a well judged centre was helped over the bear by Swan. Following this, United work came in splashes with Anderson always dangerous, and Woodcock showing little of the form that made his name famous. However, Buckley “came on “hereabouts and he put ginger into the side and the United came near equalising when Woodcock tried a long shot that had Mitchell guessing. Everton were impressed by this escape and tried to improve their position. Jefferis, Kirsopp, and Morris formed a pretty move, and Morris was unlucky to hit the upright. In a trice Harrison swung across a strong shot which Swann did well to catch. Accidents were more numerous than usual and the game had now to be stopped on amount of a leg injury to Crossley, who, I am told is a Liverpool boy. Crossley went off the field. Swann “brought down the house” in saving Kirsopp’s fine shot, and Clennell was unlucky to have a strong drive blocked by Barlow. Crossley returned after being away ten minutes. Clennell scored for Everton after seventy seven minutes, taking the ball as it came off the foot of the upright from a shot by Morris. For seen times in eight successive weeks Everton have scored three goals.
Final; Everton 3, Manchester United 2.
Goals scorers;
Kirsopp scored after two minutes
Clennell scored after 12 minutes
Anderson scored after 37 minutes
Clennell scored in 77 minutes
Woodcock scored for United just on time.

November 27, 1916. The Evening Express.
To deal with the home game first, Everton certainly deserved the victory over Manchester United after a game which, varying in picturesquenses, was never rally deli. Though there were periods in the first portion when the visitors were artistic, showing the better football, the Blues for the most part exercised the upper hand, and taking the game through they were full value for their victory, which was gained after a resolute display, coupled with many fine incidents in the defensive line. It was only the superb custodianship of Swann that in the second half kept the home score down, and though the margin was narrow at the finish, thanks to a goal scored by Woodcock in the last half minute of the struggle, Everton had made their position secure, though it is due to the visitors to mention that for the last twenty minutes they were minus the services of Crossley, who had injured his leg.


November 28, 1916. The Liverpool Echo

The Footballers' Battalion has been assisting in the “push” again, and “Tim” Coleman, late of Everton and Sunderland, and Nottingham –and other clubs –has sent me a very interesting letter, in which local folk will find the comparison between the expression on a “German prisoner, and on an Everton crowd when they have been beaten at home by Liverpool “Very tickling. “Tim” writes. Just a few lines, to let you know we are still in the land of the living, and thankful to be so, I assure you. We have just came out of another push, and we have had a long time of it. We have had a few casualties, which of course, is inevitable. Ruby Martin of Grimsby has been wounded; but I an glad to say not seriously. Peg Edens, of Clayton Orient, has also had a bullet in the knee. I don't know how bad it is, but I hope he will get over it, so that he can play again. Houston, of Woolwich, also had been wounded. There are still a few of the old mob left; but one or two more of these pusses it will be hard. I saw a crowd of German prisoners come through a village not far from the firing line, and they are the worst I have seen come were very young, and some very old; and they all had a careworn look and were a most dilapidated-looking lot. They put me in mind of the Everton crowd coming away from the ground after being beaten at home to Liverpool. I think they are feeling the pinch a bit. From out trench I saw two magnificent sights recently; I saw a battalion jump out of their trench and race over the top. The next day I saw another advancing in extending order as though on parade. As this happened absolutely on the skyline you can have an deal what a view I got. A rather funny incident occurred in one attack. An officer was wounded and lying out in “No Man's land.” His servant would not leave him and being close to the Boche line he went in to get him help, their took him prisoner and sent a man out to fetch in the office. A company sergeant-major who was lying in a Sheller took the German prisoner and carried the officer to it place of safely. I am sorry to say Sergeant major afterwards died of wounds. I have not seen a Scotch battalion come out and they are all decorated like a battalion of passecks. They have German helmets, rifles and all sorts, taken from the Boches. Give my kind regards to my Liverpool friends and Jack Borthwick. As you will see things are going very well, and I think we can look forward to equally good news for some time yet.

“Bogged” with His Prisoners

Heres an another “story” and this time it is against “Tim” for Cyril Smith, the Croydon player, who –is in a Liverpool hospital. The following caustic tale about the first prisoners taken by the Footballers Battalion. Needless to say I was delighted to get some news of “Tim” and the boys but hardly expected to get it in the manner I did. I'm now writing to “Tim” to tell him that his request was not made in vain and that “Bee” had got in communication with me, as I know he will be more than pleased. I noticed in your notes one evening ad can I help smile when I think of it. “Tim” will always turn the joke on his side. I must admit that is nearly always the case I fact it only know of one occasion when he has been found guessing. Tim was the night that two Germans gave themselves up to him (the first by the way, that the battalion had the honour of making prisoners). Anyway “Tim” was marching down the trench past the boys (you can just imagine how proud he was feeling of himself) when suddenly he sank in about 3 ½ ft of mud and water. He tried desperately to get out and get a move on to the battalion headquarters, but each time he move would send him down a little deeper, much to the amusement of the boys who had collected around. While all this was going on Chalmers (Grimsby Town) one of his closes friend came along and pincher the prisoners of him, marched them to the headquarters, and naturally got a lot of kind words and praise from the colonel. Eventually Tim got out with the help of some of the other lads, and also took an oath that he would never take on, another attempt to take any more prisoners. I don't know if he had ever got his own back or not, but if he hasn't –well he is not the “Tim” Coleman, as I know him. I might say that the “catch phrase” among the lads of the battalion ever since that happened is “What did you do in the Great War” Coleman.

November 29, 1916. The Evening Express.
By the Judge
Whether Everton play Dunn and or Smith on Saturday, in their much anticipated match against Liverpool they will be at full strength, for the appearance of one or other of the two named at full back means no weakening of the defence. If Smith turns out it will simply mean the appearance of Thompson on the left and as the latter is equally at home in either position, the defence will be quite up to par. Fleetwood having recovered will be able to resume at half-back, and the forward line will remain untouched. The side will probably be; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood. Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison

November 1916