Everton Independent Research Data


November 3, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have parted with another play, Moffatt the Scottish centre forward, who has been transfed to Wrexham in pursuance of the policy of the directors to reduce the numbers of players on the club's books. The Welsh club recently secured from Everton club Jackson, who made a successful debut by scoring a couple of goals, and the acquisition of Moffatt should further strengthen the third league club. In the last month Everton have also parted with Spencer to Wigan Borough…meanwhile JE Blair the Liverpool university centre has signed an amateur form for Oldham Athletic.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Monday 06 November 1922
George Brewster, captain of Everton, has been transferred to Wolverhampton Wanderers at a fee which is record for latter club. Brewster, who is a centre half, is a native of Woodside. and was previously with Aberdeen. ' In 1920 he was transferred to Everton at a fee of £2400. He was capped for Scotland against England two seasons ago. Recently Brewster has not been appearing regularly in the Everton first eleven, and it was known for some time he was desirous of a change of club. Wolverhampton Wanderers are in the Second Division of the English League, and the club is meantime in danger of relegation. A player of fine physique, Brewster, if he strikes his form, should prove a great assel the " Wolves."

November 6, 1922. The Liverpool Evening Express
The A.B.C. of Bradshaw
Everton with a point per match stand in a fair position, and when one looks at the table there is not a great deal between the clubs. Friends of the Goodison Park brigade, however, would like to see the Blues doing much better. The display on Saturday was not at all convincing and on the whole the match was disappointing. Both sets of forwards lacked imitative and perhaps the Everton line was the best of two very moderate vanguards. The Arsenal men did little, so well did the home halves stick to the task of thwarting the efforts of the visitors, while the backs array’s seemed to be equal to the demands made upon them, Raitt was perhaps the most effective and his save on the goal line with Harland beaten was a fine one. But it is nothing new for Raitt to head out in this fashion. He has done it before several times, the Scot having the happy knack of placing himself to the right of the custodian when danger threatens from corner kicks.
Clever Harland
That Harland is a clever keeper was demonstrated by the manner, in which he saved the few shots which came his way. He had very little to do, but when he is more fully tested I expect him to prove exceptionally skilful. Quite the feature of a moderate game was the fine defensive efforts of Frank Bradshaw. I saw him (write “Liver-“) play against Everton for Sheffield Wednesday in the Cup final of 1907, and later as inside left for Everton; but I have never seen Bradshaw play so effectively. Certainly his forward experience enabled him to know how to deal with oncoming opponents and the coolness with which he turned the ball aside to gain position for clearing was amazing. He took liberties but the moves came off. His play was very like that of McConnachie at his best. Considering the time Bradshaw has been in football he is remarkably quick and clean in his work. He knows the game from A to Z. Fleetwood was sound at centre-half and Hart and Peacock got through a deal of good work. The attacking line never seemed to combine effectively. Certainly the vanguard was not nearly so good as against the Forest. Chadwick just lacks the extra yard, but of course, the centre-forward has not had a great deal of experience of League football. Williams and Reid formed the better wing. Irvine worked hard, though not at his best and Chedgzoy was not as happy as usual in his centring.
George Brewster
The departure of George Brewster was not altogether surprising as the Scot felt being dropped very keenly, especially as he was the captain. Several clubs had inquired about the tall pivot, but arrangements were come to late on Saturday night that he should join Wolverhampton. The figure has not been disclosed but is sure to be a stiff one as the Blues handed over £2,500 to Aberdeen when bring Brewster to Goodison Park. Whatever the Wanderers have paid, however, should be a good investment as “the Jester” should fir their style of play and the midland club are so low in the table that new blood is obviously needed if they are to face the future with equanimity.

November 6, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton had to be satisfied with a very modest victory as the result of their meeting with the Arsenal at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon. The game was disappointing, much of the play exceedingly poor. Interest centred in the debut of Harland, the Irish International goalkeeper recently signed by Everton. The test was by no means a severe one but Harland gave sufficient evidence of his ability to justify the excellent opinion formed of his skill on previous occasions. The stiffest task came when Dr. Patterson sent in a high shot that almost went under the bar, and Harland showed resource in the way he got the ball over the bar after appearing to misjudge the fight of the ball. From a spectators point of view, the contest was well nigh featureless, because the forward work of both sides was extremely poor. There was a lack of penetrative power, and the game was half an hour old before Arsenal forced their first corner. The goalkeeper certainly had little to do in the first half, but afterwards there was more liveliness, and with Arsenal always threatening to rob Everton of their small lead, interest was maintained.

The defence of both sides was excellent, and none did better than Bradshaw, the ex-Everton forward. He frequently held up the Everton forwards in masterly fashion, and his neat touches and clever placing made him one of the most prominent players on the field. Turnbull was inclined to recklessness, but he got through a great amount of work with credit. The Everton backs were very sound, and, as already indicated, Harland made a promising start. Dunn, in the Arsenal goal was more frequently in action, and he made a number of brilliant saves. The Everton half-backs made a formidable line, and much of the Arsenal's ineffectiveness due to the splendid tackling of the intermediate line. Williams was forceful, and did most of the shooting, but Reid was rarely in evidence. Chadwick was slow and lost a number of the openings. There was little cohesion on the right wing and the forward work generally was very ragged. The Arsenal attack suffered from the same defects, and the half-backs were good spoilers but had a poor idea of linking up with the forwards.

The early play was all in favour of Everton, and for a long period the Arsenal were on the defence. The backs, however, were able to keep the Everton forwards in check, and Dunn had only one shot to negotiate in the first quarter of an hour and that when Williams head in. Dunn cleverly caught the ball, although he was almost surprised. He had no chance of saving the shot when Williams scored at the end of nineteen minutes' play. The ball was crossed from the Everton right, and although Bradshaw touched it, he was unable to stop the ball and Williams went through to score, a capital goal. There was very little incident in the play to the interval, and the best effort the Arsenal made was good play by Roe that was ruined by White inability to reach the ball at a crucial moment. There was more vigour in the play after the interval and Dunn made two wonderful saves in rapid succession. Williams got past the Arsenal defence with Turnbull miskick and shot from almost point blank range, and Dunn parried the shot in brilliant fashion. Then Chadwick followed with another fine effort, and again Dunn got to the ball low down at the corner. Harland caught a shot by Roe, and shortly afterwards he made his best save from a shot by Patterson, when he tipped the ball over the bar, and Raitt prevented the Everton goal from disaster by heading out from the goal line. The offside tactics employed by both sides did not aid to the attractiveness of the game, but play was certainly more interesting than in the first half. Patterson lost a capital opening created by White, and Irvine was charged off the ball when he got through the Arsenal defence. White who had sustained several minor injuries on, was forced to retire just before the end. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Arsenal: - Dunn, goal, Bradshaw, and Turnbull, backs, Milne, Graham, and Whittaker, half-backs, Dr. Patterson, White, Roe, Boreham, and Toner, forwards.

November 6, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves played one of the best games seen at Valley Parade this season. They were too clever for the Bradford combination, and the forwards ran through the home defence in the first half time after time. Weak clearance by McLaren, the Bradford goalkeeper, resulted in Harrison and Forbes scoring, the Everton players being quick to grasp openings. Roberts had to retire early in the second half with a badly sprained leg, and this upset the Liverpool team and levelled play up. Chadber, as the result of a penalty for hands against Brown, scored for the home team. Fern had not much to do in goal, being well covered by Downs and Livingstone, the Scotsman being the better back. Grenyer was the pick of the half-backs, and kept Bradford's right wing well in hand. Harrison and Wall were a fine wing pair, and the former was the best man on the field. Forbes up to his injury kept the front line going finely. Parry put across some fine centres, and was well led by Harrison.

November 6 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
St. Helens Junction entertained Everton “A” and after an evenly contested game neither side could claim an advantage. The visitors had the advantage of a strong wind in the first half, but the home defence was sound, and the interval arrived with a clean sheet. Turning round, the game was strenuously contested, Pimblett and Matthews having hard lines in not opening the home team's account. Kemp in the Everton “A” goal, was very safe.

November 6, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton Club has parted with still another player, and the transfer of George Brewster, the Scottish International centre half-back, to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday must have come as a big surprise to the majority of the club's followers. Brewster joined Everton in 1920, and the following season played centre-half for Scotland against England. He was the captain of the Everton team this season and the Wanderers must have paid their record transfer fee to secure his services.

November 8, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Wolverampton Wanderers who surprising move on Saturday, by securing Brewster, Everton Scottish International centre half, were concerned in another important transfer by the same club yesterday when they signed Sam Fazackerley the inside right who was obtain from Sheffield United in November 1920, a fee exceeding of £4,000. Fazackerley had previously play for Hull City and Preston North End. Everton have now parted with five of their players during the last few weeks.

November 10, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have signed on a sixteen year-old boy by the name of Ellis Rimmer, out-side left of Northern Nomads, he has been considerable experience in school boy football and in that section has appeared in five International matches and one county game, and also had a trail in the intonation schools match. He stands 5ft 9ins and weights 10 stone.

November 13, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Evertonians have every reason to congratulate themselves upon their victory over the Arsenal at Highbury on Saturday. The win was all the more meritorious inasmuch as they had two players rather badly damaged in the course of the game. This naturally proved a handicap, but having gained the lead, they were able, to hold it to the close of a strenuous contest. It was not a particularly scientific exhibition though there were flashes of really good football at times, especially among the half-backs. On the general run of the play a draw would perhaps have been the most accurate result, for the Arsenal forwards were rather more in the picture than “their opponents.” It was the work of the second and third line that preserved the balance, and ultimately led to the hanging of the scale in Everton's favour. In spite of a rather dismal afternoon, there was an attendance of 30,000 people, and as we have intimated, there was no lack of incident in the course of the ninety minutes.

The Londoners set a capital pace, and in the first few minutes of the encounter Borham, who thoroughly played very cleverly gave Harland something to think about. He shot twice with great power, but without definite effect. Everton settled down after a time and the forward line moving in unison, Williams got possession. He sent the ball straight to Dunn, but the latter only partially cleared, and the Everton player, taking the rebound tapped the ball and scored with a well-judged shot. Shortly after this Chedgzoy was in collision with Turnbull, and had to leave the field, though he was able to return a little later. Meanwhile the Arsenal forwards were displaying great grit, and in a combined attack the ball cured off the foot of one the Everton players, and Blyth seizing the opportunity scored an equalising goal. This was rather in the nature of a grit goal, for it was certainly quite unpremeditated. In the second period the play was keener than ever and Everton put the seal upon their success, when Chadwick taking a pass from the right managed to beat Dunn after Turnball had vainly attempted to put him offside. The home forwards displayed great spirit in trying once again to get on level terms, both Dr. Patterson and the veteran Rutherford sending in some perfectly timed centres. These however, were not allowed to fructify, Fleetwood shadowing Roe whenever the latter tried to get through. On one occasion Boreham just failed to equalise, and a little later Reid strained the ligaments of his ankle, and had to be carried off the field in obvious pain. In spite of this, Everton made a last rally, and Peacock hit the post with a fierce drive.

The Everton forwards were not quite convincing in the matter of combination, though there was individual skill. Chadwick showed a better appreciation of the niceties of the game and both Williams and Irvine did well. The wingers, as already mentioned were hurt, but prior to their accidents they gave quite a satisfactory account of themselves. All the halves were good, and the defence was sound. Harland though beaten once, created a highly favourable impression. The Arsenal are by no means a great side, yet there were many points of excellence about their play. Both the wings were lively, and Bradshaw played with considerable judgement. Teams: - Arsenal: - Gunn, goal, Turnbull, and Bradshaw, backs, Whittaker, Graham, and Milne, half-backs, Dr. Patterson, Boreham, Roe, Blyth, and Rutherford forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Referee Mr. A.H. Kingscott.

November 13, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park, Everton included Fern, Downs, and Harrison, and after their victory at Bradford last week it was fully expected they would gain a further two points. Play was fast and interesting throughout. Everton fully deserved the points, for they were easily the better balanced team, especially in the second half, when they showed fine understanding. Bradford made many advances chiefly through fine work on the left, and Cant in the centre fed his wings well, but they found Downs, who was in splendid form, and Livingstone hard top beat. During the first thirty minutes, Fern had little to do. The first goal came through Caddick, who took advantage of the goalkeeper's absence in running out to clear a shot by Downs from long range, and at the interval Everton led by a goal to nil. The second half had not been long in progress when the City missed a glorious opportunity to equalise. McCourt after beating Downs, ran close to Fern, but sent his shot over the bar. Everton then put on great pressure, their forwards passing with fine judgement, but overdid the work at close quarters. Virr in the centre tried hard, and shot often, and three of his attempts rebounded from the posts. Virr who took Forbes' place through injury gave a good account of himself. Although Everton pressed continually it was five minutes before the end when Harrison sent in a dropping shot which bounced over the goalkeeper's head into the net. On the run of the game the City were lucky to escape with such a small margin against them. They were saved by the fine goalkeeping of Mclaren.

November 13 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
New Brighton Reserves, the visitors to the Townsend-lane enclosure, maintained their position as leaders in the county table at the expense of Everton “A.” Their three-goal victory was well-deserved and demonstrated the value of a tenacious following up policy. The game started with Everton pressing, but their efforts were readily subdued by Critchlow and Glover, the latter playing a brilliant game. At the twentieth minute New Brighton obtained their first goal as the direct result of a fine run and centre by Leadbetter, Bryson sending in a shot which swerved away from Kemp's right hand. The Everton forwards showed speed and combination, McGinney and Snelgrove in particularly making strenuous efforts for an equalising. Their shooting, however, lacked direction and power. A doubtful penalty for hands well taken by Glover presented a second goal to the visitors. The later stages were notable for the fine defence set up by Glover and his colleagues, who succeeded in holding up the Everton attack to such an extent that New Brighton dominated the closing play. Oakes sealed Everton's fate with an unstoppable shot from close in. For the losing side Kemp, McGrae, and McGivney gave a polished exhibition.

November 20, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton did extremely well to extract a point from West Bromwich Albion, at the Hawthorns on Saturday. Indeed, with just a slight shade of luck they might have secured victory. A division of the spoils, however, was the most accurate reflex of an exceptionally hard and fast game. The weather was perfect, but the ground, which had been liberally sprinkled with and was rather on the hard side. The Albion forwards were known to be a very speedy quintet, and they did not belie their reputation. But they found themselves up against a trio of half-backs who know thoroughly well how to tackle with the result that they were never permitted to bring their combined movements to a successful issue. The Everton backs occasionally took risks, but this policy was fully justified in the result what they missed being wonderfully well looked after by their Irish International goalkeeper.

The visitors were the first to get going in combined order, and within a few minutes of the start Reid put the ball to Chadwick, who used his head smartly but without deceiving the Albion custodian. The Throstles replied with several breakaways on the part of both wings, Fitton being especially conspicuous. On one occasion the crowd of 20,000 people swayed with excitement as the speedy winger raced clean through, but unfortunately Raitt was able to save the situation at the cost of a corner. Play ran evenly throughout the first period, the footwork of the Evertonians being a little cleverer than that of their opponents, but there was really not very much to choose between the teams when the interval arrived with a clean sheet. The second “45” was practically a replica of the first, though the visitors enjoyed a slight preponderance in the matter of pressure. Reid was twice unfortunate in failing to get shots home, and Chadwick who is showing distinct improvement, might with a little luck have found the target. But he was shadowed by Bowser, and throughout the game was given very little latitude. The most prominent sharpshooter on the home side was Morris, and on his efforts was cleared marvelously by Harland. The latter shortly before the close of the match was slightly injured, but he was able to carry on and kept his goal intact until the close of one of the best games seen this season.

It is gratifying to be able to record a general speeding up in the Everton ranks. The forward line frequently gave glimpses of first class skill, the centre, as we have already said creating a very favourable impression. Reid and Williams made a capital wing, and the inside man tried hard to put his side ahead, but without success. The other pair were scarcely so good, though Chedgzoy more than once showed the crowd what a master he is in commanding the ball. Fleetwood at centre-half played as well as he has done for the last 14 years, and he was well supported by Hart and Peacock. The latter by the way came within an ace of scoring, with a long drive just before the finish. McDonald played brilliantly at back, and found a very reliable partner in Raitt while Harland once more demonstrated his ability as a goalkeeper. Teams: - West Bromwich Albion: - Pearson, goal, Smith, and Adams, backs, Magee, Bowser, and McNee, half-backs, Crisp, Jones, Stan Davies, Morris, and Fitton, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal Raiit, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Cxhedgzoy Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards.

November 20, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The meeting of these teams at Goodison Park produced some capital football. The Albion, who were at the head of the League, having only lost three games out of fourteen; fully extended the strong Everton eleven from start to finish. Their forward were very nippy, and Smith, in the centre, frequently got the better of the defence, and had not Fern been in great form he would certainly have scored more than once. Virr scored in the first few minutes, after having the better of a tussle with Chamberlain. He had no difficulty in beating the goalkeeper, who ran out in an effort to intercept his shot. The game was played at a fast pace, and each goalkeeper was kept well employed. Just on the interval Smith equaliser after Downs had been well beaten. The second half opened at the same fast pace, and Ashmore saved from Virr and Harrison, and Fern from Smith. Glidden, and Blagden. Ten minutes from the end Everton took the lead through a fine shot by Brown, who took the ball on the run over thirty yards out with great power into the far corner of the net. Towards the end Everton pressed hard, and Harrison hit the woodwork with a strong drive. The home team were slightly the better side.

November 20, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Prescot. The home team opened in good style, and following persistent pressure, got an early goal. Foster scoring from a corner. Everton then attacked, and Monteith saved finely from McGivney and Dodd. Pilkington scored a second goal for Prescot with a fast drive. The home team did the bulk of the attacking in the second half. Kemp making many fine saves. The Everton forwards were ineffective, their short passing being easily dealt with by the home defenders, of whom Foster and Fisher were the pick. Everton were best represented by McGrae and Helsby.

November 27, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The unexpected happened at Goodison Park, On Saturday, when Everton were beaten in the return game by West Bromwich Albion by the only goal of the match. Thus the verdict of the previous Saturday was reversed by the same score, and Everton's successful run was checked. There were many incidents in the game that brought out capital football, and when the Albion forwards were at their best in the first half their movements were smart and clever. It was the nippiness of the forwards that gave the Albion an advantage over Everton, and ultimately carried them to victory. In all other sections the sides were very evenly matched. Everton suffered through the unfitness of Irvine, and although he changed places with Chedgzoy early in the second half, he was the weak link in the attack.

The players on the Everton side who stood out among all his colleagues was Fleetwood. His display was a revelation. He has always been noticeable for sound defence, but on Saturday he combined attack with defence to such effect that placed him in a class by himself. He checked many dangerous movements by superb tackling, and his linking up methods were sound and constructive. The Everton defenders performed creditably with Harland safe and Raitt and McDonald sound and businesslike. The latter had many interesting duels with Davies, and honours were fairly even. The half-backs were pitted against a fast moving line, and they adapted themselves to the conditions with great skill. The Everton forwards did not display their usual dash and cohesion. Reid put in some delightful centres early on, and Williams foraged with his customary forcefulness. Chadwick was slow and Chedgzoy ruined his good preliminary work with poor finishing, and altogether the line did not work well. The Albion forwards had the advantage of a skilful tactician in Davies. His mission seemed to be to get through the Everton defence at any cost, and several times he came within an ace of doing so. He paved the way to many good openings, and his enterprise and earnestness made him a fine leader. Morris offered excellent support, and shot frequently, while the extreme wingmen were more than useful. Bowser made a capital pivot for Smith and Adams did splendid work further behind. Pearson in spite of his lengthy service, retains his activity, and he gave a sound display in the Albion goal.

Play started briskly, and in the first minute the Everton goal had a narrow escape when McDonald placed the ball just past his own goal for a corner. After Pearson had pushed out a delightful centre by Reid. Irvine failed with a chance the like of which never occurred again. Irvine was almost under the bar when he lobbed the ball over. A persistent effort by Davies almost ended disastrously for Harland, and the Everton custodian only got the ball away after a struggle with the Albion centre. Raitt was injured through colliding with Davies, but he resumed after a few minutes, and with both sides showing keen clever play the game was not devoid of incident. The Albion forwards were extremely active, and when Jones took up a centre from the opposite wing, Harland cleared a very fine shot by punching thee ball up. Then McDonald stopped a shot by Morris as he turned the ball for a corner, and a swerving shot by Fitton was well saved by Harland. Davies sent ideal passes to his wing, and Jones had a great chance when Fitton returned the ball, but he failed to control it property. Fleetwood was very enterprising, and he caused Pearson his greatest corcern when he shot. Pearson scooped the ball away, lost it, and then dived at the ball as Williams was preparing to shoot. Peacock went near with a good effort, and then Pearson with a mighty kick again got the ball away from Williams. When the game was resumed after the interval, Morris led off with a dashing run, and following clever defence by Fleetwood, Morris tried a long shot. Then Chadwick failed with one of the best chances of the game. He had but to touch the ball as it flashed across the goal from Chedgzoy, but he completely missed it. A fine solo effort by Davies was stopped by McDonald, and at 65 minutes Morris scored what proved to be the only goal of the game. McDonald, with an overhead kick, only partially cleared, and Morris was left with an opening from which he sent the ball into the net. Everton made good attempts to get on terms, but the disorganised forward line had little chance against stubborn Albion defence. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Pearson, goal, Smith, and Adams, backs, Magee, Bowser, and McNeil, half-backs, Glidden, Jones, Davies, Morris, and Fitton forwards.

November 27, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves were defeated by 4 goals to 1 by West Bromwich Albion Reserves in the return match at the Hawthorns. This score, however, flatters the Albion, for Everton had more than their fair share of the attacking. It was the magnificent goalkeeping of Ashmore, who beat the forwards, although he allowed Virr score in the opening minutes, while Fern, who has always given a fine display at the Hawthorns was not in his element, and he should have stopped at least two of the four goals that Blood scored. Downs, was erratic, due no doubt to the barracking of the crowd, who have not forgotten the memorable Barnsley Cup tie. Although they were a goal down at the interval, Everton monopolished play in the early part of the second half, and with more method in their attacks they should have equlised, Dutton the Albion left half was the best man on the field, with Young running him close. This is the third occasion on which Blood has completed the hat trick this season.

November 1922