Everton Independent Research Data


EVERTON 3 ARSENAL 1 (Game 1198)

November 1 st 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.




Everton beat the Arsenal at Goodison Park, on Saturday by 3 goals to 1, and were worthy winners of a fast game that had many good points, although much of the play hardly reached the standard expected. The outstanding feature from an Everton viewpoint was the reappearance of Dean, whose return was delayed a fortnight ago. Dean made his first home appearance, and his inclusion in the side meant much to Everton. Confidence was restored, and if Dean was not at his best he scored a characteristic goal, gave his colleagues excellent openings, and revealed some skillful touches. It should only be a question of time when Dean regains all his old dash and effectiveness. Cohesion is still needed to make the Everton attack what it should be. It worked with a fair amount of smoothness against the Arsenal, but there is room for improvement. Much of the play lacked finish, and this was very noticeable in the work of the Arsenal. Early on both sides did well, but after the Arsenal had spent themselves in a number of determined efforts immediately following the resumption, and Everton increased their lead, interest in the game sagged. The great fault of the Londoners was their lack of finish, and during the early play Brain missed two great chances. Similar openings did not secure again because none of the forwards would accept responsibility for shooting.


Everton's success was due to their greater accuracy in finishing combined with better-balanced all round. Davies was cool and safe in the Everton goal, and if McDonald and Kerr were not always judicious in clearing, their made no mistakes. There was no better half-back on the field than Hart. Strong in defence and effective in attack, Hart played a fine game while Brown and Virr completed a trio that made the Arsenal attack look very ordinary. The forwards were better as individuals than as a combination, and the line needs more driving power and cohesion. Dean's return will probably do much in this direction. Irvine worked well, but was hardly as effective as usual, while Moffatt was certainly a trier. Dominy and Troup made the better wing. The latter shot well and was clever with the ball, but Dominy was rather slow. Harper had far more to do than Davies and was not always safe in handling the ball. John was a better back than Parker and Blyth took the honours in the middle line. The Arsenal forwards played an uneven game. They displayed delightful footwork at times, but the generalship of Buchan was much missed. Brain made effective passes to the wings, yet the line was deficient in shooting power. Brain made his best effort when he lobbed the ball over Davie's head into the net. Hulme overdribbled and the line as a whole was no more effective when it was reshuffled in the second half with Hulme in the centre and Brain and Young as the right wing. The goals were scored in the following order. Irvine (six minutes), Troup (twenty-six minutes), Brain (thirty-eight minutes), Dean (sixty-nine minutes). Teams : - Everton: - Davies, goal, McDonald, and Kerr, backs, Brown Hart (captain), and Virr, half-backs Moffatt, Irvine Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Arsenal: - Harper goal, Parker and John backs Young, Butler, and Blyth, half-backs, Hulmes, Lamberth, Brain, Ramsay, and Haden, forwards.



November 1 st 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.


Everton Reserves only managed to make a draw of the game at Burnley in the second half but the weak finishing of their forwards was responsible for missing victory. The visitors were much the more impressive side as regards the finer points of the game, and should have credited themselves with enough goals to win from the openings, which came their way. Burley, the ex-Chester forward scored just before the interval for Burnley and Tyson equalised afterwards . Everton: - Hardy, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Peacock, Bain, and Rooney, half-backs, Not-Known, Woodhouse, Tyson, Houghton, and Kennedy, forwards.



November 1 st 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Though won by the smallest possible margin they were good value for their victory, Everton “A” who were the visitors, putting up a rather feeble display until the last ten minutes, during which Haspey missed a chance of equalising after beating the home backs. Scott the home keeper, making a marvelous save from short range. The goals that won the match was scored by R. Creer, the Everton right half, who kicked the ball over his own line on a hot fusillade on the visitors' goal.



November 2, 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

A report was published yesterday, that Patrick Thistle football club had asked Everton for £10,000 for the transfer of James Gibson, their international half-back. Mr. W. Cuff the chairman of the Everton interviewed by a ‘'Daily Post'' representative, yesterday with reference to the report said: - we asked terms and the answer we got was''well we might consider it if you offered £10,000. That ended the conversation, Gibson services have been swift by a number of English clubs, but without success. He is considered one of the greatest half-backs in Scottish football, Stands 6ft and weights 12 stone. He is a son of Neil Gibson, the famous half-back of Patrick Thistle and Glasgow Rangers, who was capped on fourteen occasions and played against England in six successive years.



November 5, 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

The Everton yesterday, transferred hg batten the inside forward to Bradford City. Batten joined Everton from Plymouth Arygle club towards the end of last season, and played eleven league matches. He stands 5ft 7 and a half inches and weights 11 stone 10lbs. He was a member of the football association team that visited Australia in 1925 and played in all five test matches. He was the leading scorer during the tour with forty-seven goals scoring six goals against South Australia, Batten is the third Everton forward transferred within about a fortnight, the other being Weaver, who went to Wolverhampton Wanderers and d Murray now with Bristol city.

Herbert G. Batten

Hull City -Friday 5 November 1926

Bradford City Thursday signed on Herbert G. Batten, centre forward from Everton. Batten caused Bome:hing sensation during summer of 1925 by his scoring exploits with the F.A. team on tour in Australia. was top scorer, with goal* to his credit, and on two occasions obtained five goals match. Batten was Plymouth Argyle player when he went on tour, but was transferred to Everton on his return home.


November 8, 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.




To gain a point away from home is considered by most club officials as highly satisfactory, and no doubt there is every justification for thinking so; but is highly probable that those Liverpool people who witnessed Everton's draw at Bramell Lane thought otherwise, for it must not be overlooked that the Goodison Park club were leading 2-0 midway through the first half, and again in the second session. That the United were able to rub off the deficit in each case was due to a slackness in Everton's defence. To be hypercritical on such a day would be most unfair, for the conditions of the ground lent itself to mistakes. Everton's defence made no real serious blunders, but there was not that under standing, which has been apparent in recent weeks, with the result that Sheffield United's right wing was allowed too much latitude, and it must be admitted that this was the danger spot of the side, the Mercer, when in possession, was always a menace, as may be gathered from the fact that it was from his centres that two of the goals were scored.


Everton for the first twenty minutes played splendid football, and with a little more luck might have been three goals instead of two to the good, for Dean led his line well, and in the first minute was clean through and only a matter of a yard prevented him from scoring. However, Dean's position play was such that it was bound to bring its reward in due course, and when Dominy pushed the ball through to him he beat the whole of the Sheffield defence with but two movements, and slipped the ball well out of reach of Alderson. It was just the sort of goal that Dean delights in, and he got a similar opportunity later on, but Alderson was ready on this occasion. The half-backs and inside forwards were Sheffield's greatest trouble, for Hart and his colleagues by simple little movements drew the defence offering a forward pass. This was good football, and although Mercer shaved the crossbar with a tremendous drive, Everton obtained a second goal when Dominy headed Millington's centre into the net. Then came a complete reversal, Sheffield came to life all in a minute, and in sixty seconds of Dominy's goal, Johnson had scored a similar sort of point from Mercer's centre. Davies came out to intercept the winger's pass only to see it flash beyond him and onto Johnson's head. This was just what the United required. That goal made all the difference, and Gillespie made matters even with a nodding goal, Mercer again being the provider.


Everton's fighting spirit in recent times has been one of their greatest assets and they set about their business of regaining the lead with a will, and when Dean had beaten Alderson the ball hit the crossbar flew straight up in the air, and down to Dominy, who placed it into the net. Gillespie may have lost some of his speed, but his scheming is still as good as ever. It was the Irish International who gave Johnson the chance to equalise. A deft touch to his left-hand side placed the centre forward in position, and he had little to do in beating Davies. Almost in the last minute Dean nearly snatched a victory. Only a magnificent save by Alderson kept his drive from entering the net. Everton were right on top at the finish.


The best back on the field was Chandler, Kerr received a thigh injury that prevented him doing his best. Hart and Brown were great half-backs. They kept the ball on the ground, whereas the Sheffield halves were prone to loft the ball too much. Millington had an off-day, but Irvine, Dean and Dominy were fine inside forwards. The brothers Mercer were Sheffield's best wing, even though Tunstall came to his game late on. Gillespie, however, was the great schemer of the line. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Alderson, goal, Chandler, and Harris, backs, Boyle, King, and Green, half-backs, D. Mercer, A. Mercer, Johnson, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards. Everton: - Davies goal, McDonald and Kerr, backs, Brown, Hart (captain), and Virr, half-backs, Millington Irvine, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards.



November 8 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.


Poor finishing cost Wolverhampton the loss of a number of goal-scoring opportunities at Goodison Park, where Everton following an invigorating first half, won in the last twenty-five minutes by adding three goals, while Kennedy's penalty kick was saved by Hampton. Wolverhampton during this spell were made to look a moderate side and it was the wonderful work of Hampton in goal that kept the score down. Taken all round, it was a victory well deserved. Bowell, the Wolves centre, was a dangerous and thoughtful forward. Scorers for Everton Houghton (2), Woodhouse, Tyson, and Kennedy, and Browell for the Wolves . Everton: - Hardy, goal, Hamilton, and O'Donnell, backs, Rooney Bain, and Reid, half-backs, Moffatt, Woodhouse, Tyson, Houghton, and Kennedy, forwards.



November 8 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.


AT Strawberry-lane. The opening half was slightly in Everton's favour. Haspsey giving them the lead. Topping went near with a shot that struck the upright. In the second half Matthews and Topping scored for the Town, and with the best goal of the match Harrison equalised close on time.


November 9, 1926 Western Daily Press

Falling Stone Discharges Gun

The tragic death is reported of John Fulton, professional at Paisley golf course. Appearances suggest that he was out rabbit shooting and that when crossing a wall, a coping stone gave way and the gun went off, the shot entering his head. Fulton was also a well-known professional footballer and had played for Everton, Rangers, and St. Mirren.


November 9th, 1926. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.

Dean, after three first division matches following injury, has attracted the notice of the F.A selections, and the young Everton centre-forward has been selected to play in the F.A team, to oppose the Staffordshire F.A, at Wolverhampton on Monday next, the occasion being the jubilee of the Staffordshire F.A.



November 10, 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

In their centre league match against Aston Villa on Saturday Everton are introducing another ‘'A'' team centre-forward in French, who hails from St Helen's District. He is an amateur who has been with the club about six weeks and has made considerable progress.



November 13 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Derby County renew acquaintance with Everton at Goodison Park and today's match is likely to compare favourably with many of the great battles which have gone before. The teams representing the clubs at present have both jumped into their stride at the same time, and if Everton can win today they will have accomplished a noteworthy feat. There is no doubt that Dean has united the forward line, which makes the vanguard a real attacking force. His three previous games have imparted to the Birkenhead player his old confidence he may be expected to still further enhance his reputation. Hart at centre-back, too, has had much to do with the improved form of the team, and he will today have a further opportunity of checking a centre-forward with a scoring reputation. Derby County's victory over Leicester was a convincing piece of work, and they will be out to achieve further honours today. The kick off is at 2-45, and the teams are: - Everton: - Davies; McDonald, Kerr; Brown, Hart, Virr; Millington, Irvine, Dean Dominy, and Troup. Derby County: - Olney; Cooper, Crill; McLaverty, Thonis Donagby; Thornewell, Gill, Bedford, Murphy, and Mee.



November 15 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.




Everton were fully entitled to the measure of satisfaction and the points they extracted from their game with Derby County at Goodison park on Saturday. They won by 3 goals to 2 after a hard fight. Derby actually led by two clear goals after twenty minutes' play yet Everton played with such keenness, determination, and skill than they well deserved the points. From first to last the game was fought with great earnestness; indeed, it might truthfully be said that Derby frequently applied themselves too vigorously to their task, with the result that they neglected the finer points of the game. Everton were much the better footballers, and but for the chances they missed early on they would certainly have won with greater ease. It was thrilling football, and while the County had some good fortune in the early stages, Everton had none. For instance, when the County scored their second goal, Davies made a mistake –a rare thing for him to do, and in view of the fact that he played so well afterwards it would have been little short of a tragedy had Davies mistake cost Everton the game.


While Davies blundered Olney in the County goal had more than one stroke of luck. Once he dropped the ball after stopping the shot, and only just scrambled it away as it was rolling over the goalline. Again, when Irvine drove the ball over the bar from six yards' distance Olney must have been grateful. At the same time, Olney made some wonderful saves, and even with a damaged hand, sustained in making a daring save, he did remarkably well. One of his best efforts was a partial save when Dean beat the defence and shot hard and true what time Olney from an advanced position shot up his hands and tipped the ball over the bar. Without doubt Everton played the more attractive football. There was more polish and skill in their movements, yet the County occasionally came into the picture with telling raids and clever practical footwork. They have still to win their first game away from home. The Everton backs had to accept much hard work because the County forwards never stood on ceremony. They swung the ball about in what, to the Everton defenders, must have been very disconcerting fashion. Both McDonald and Kerr were often puzzled by the County's unorthodox, and hardly stood the test successfully. The half-backs, however, played a level game, and if they did not completely master the opposition, they were rarely beaten. Hart was a tower of strength in the centre, and was admirably supported by Brown and Virr. The forwards made a capital line.


Dean was masterly in the centre. He led the line with skill and judgement distributing the play efficiently and shooting with accuracy. Both Irvine and Dominy made excellent inside forwards, while Millington played better and more effectively than in previous games. Troup was prominent with clever raids and strong shooting. The County backs were far from reliable and the half-backs were good only in defence. The forwards were more practical than scientific. Their smart bustling methods, however, enabled them to developed many dangerous movements, and Thornewell and Gill made a capital wing. The goal scorers were Hart (5 minutes), Thormewell (21 minutes), Dean (42 minutes), Irvine (67 minutes), Virr (80 minutes). Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, McDonald and Kerr, backs, Brown, Hart (*captain), and Virr half-backs, Millington, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Derby County: - Olney, goal, Cooper, and Crilly backs, McLaveny, Thom, and Donaghy, half-backs, Thornwell, Gill, Hart, Murphy, and Mee, forwards.



November 15 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


At Aston. Moffatt and Woodhouse were dangerous for the visitors, the former's pass enabling O'Donnell to score the only goal. The Villa gave a disjoined display, and apart from a period in the first half, were subdued in combination. Bain, the visiting centre-half, excelled in attack and defence, while the backs cleared with more judgement than the opposition. French was an enterprising centre forward for Everton . Everton: - Hardy, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs Rooney, Bain, and Reid, half-backs, Moffatt, Woodhouse, French, Houghton, and Kennedy, forwards.



November 16 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury

Dean scores two for the F.A side, against staffordshire, who were beaten 6-4



November 18 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


Liverpool and Everton drew at Anfield yesterday before 6,000 spectators in the semi-final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. The game was hard, keen, and even, and the result was an equitable one. Liverpool had the better of the play in the first half, and Everton most of the second half, and the game finished in a rallying fashion, two saves by Riley being of a first-class character. Prior to that Liverpool had played in what one might term almost too confident a manner. They imagined they had little to overcome, whereas the Everton half-back line was so good in defence, and so sure in purveying passes that they had no great justification for easing off.


Reid headed the first goal after Hardy had made a good save from Emued and Hodgson scored a second with a surprise shot that many though Hardy should have saved. Then came Everton's turn, thanks in the main to the home half-backs fading out. Woodhouse, a nippy forward, scored twice, and thereafter Everton were superior in attack. No date has been fixed as yet, for the replay, but it is likely to be pretty late on in the season. The winners have to meet New Brighton, whose directors were present. The main feature of the day was the penalty kick save by Riley for what appeared to be a trip on Houghton or a handling case. The referee Mr. White had no doubt about the point, and he settled the spot kick, only to find Riley save accidentally. David Bain was the shooter, it appeared as if Riley had advanced from his goal. How a referee can hope to watch a goalkeeper's step and the steps of the other players who crowd upon the penalty box is rather difficult to understand, and is one more point in favour of the appointment of goal-judges.


The main men of Everton were Hardy, the half-backs O'Donnell, who is a better back than most people seem to imagine, and Houghton. The Goodison side tried Parker again at outside right after a spell of idleness through an injured knee cap, and French from the “A” team at centre forward rather the convert Hamilton from a full back into a centre forward. French did his best, but was rather outclassed in this company. Liverpool also tried experiments; Hodgson as an inside left was serviceable. Cockburn was disappointing at centre half-back, but T. Scott was a good shooter, and at full back McKinlay and Done did well. On the Everton side none did better than Peacock, while Bain and Rooney shaped well, and all three were competent to shoot. In fact, their shooting was an object lesson to their forwards, of whom Houghton drifted hither and thither to good purpose, while Moffatt was sprightly and determined, but all the members suffered from lack of inches.

Teams: - Liverpool: - Riley, goal, Done and McKinlay, backs, McDale, Cockburn, and Pratt half-backs, Edmed, T. Scott, Reid, Hodgson and Clark, forward. Everton: - Hardy, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs Peacock, Bain and Rooney, half-backs, Parker, Woodhouse, French, Houghton, and Moffatt forwards.


Burnley Express-Saturday 20 November 1926

Louis Page, Burnley 's talented outside left, was secured from Northampton about eighteen months ago, and has been practically ever-present, having missed one game only through misunderstanding since he donned the Burnley. A native of Kirkdnle, Page belongs to footballing family, two brothers with Everton. One of them, John, also saw service with Cardiff City, and the their other, - Tom, has assisted St. Mirren and Port Vale. Louis wore the Stoke colours (luring the early days of the war, but met with a leg injury, from which made good recovery after his transfer to Northampton some years age. Well endowed physically, standing 5ft. 8ins., and just over eleven stones, Louis has quickly made sound reputation in first class bail. His speed off mark and resolute methods, combined with penchant formatting in goal, have him a winger to feared. Last season headed Burnley's goal scorers with twenty-six goals—a noteworthy feat for an extreme winger were obtained one match centre forward against Birmingham at St Andrews. He has not shown such prolific sharpshooting feats so far this season, although he has five goals to his credit. Page is a worthy successor tp Mosscrop, and whilst not scintillating in his football as that famous little winger, challenges comparison with his centres, many of which are perfectly placed from apparently impossible positions. He is an enthusiastic baseball player during the close season, and ability in that game, some months ago, earned hint right' to represent his country. It is a matter of surprise and regret amongst the Burnley supports that he has not yet been honoured the Soccer world, but their is no doubt that on his day he is strong and worthy candidate for international honours.


September 22 nd 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.



Everton's run of success was stopped at Manchester, where the United won by 2 goals to 1, but Everton were unfortunate several of their players being injured and a rearrangement in formation was forced. Everton had represented the United from scoring during their brightest period –the first twenty minutes –and they gradually wore down their rivals' attack, and obtained a goal which shook the home players, and from that point towards to the interval Everton were on top. During the late minutes of the first half Bain who had been playing a strong game as pivot, received a kick, and he went to outside left, Troup to inside left Dominy inside right, and Irvine centre-half.


This was the turning point in the game. It became apparent from that moment that Everton would have all their work cut out to hold on to their slender lead, for they had to labour under too big a handicap and with Manchester playing a bustling type of game it was small wonder that they obtained an equalising goal –a goal, by the way, which was almost identical to that scored by Dean in the first half from an accurately-placed corner kick. The Manchester spectators is enthusiastic when matters are going his way. Up to the time of Dean's goal they had assisted their team with shouts of encouragement, but once in arrears they went into the doldrums and remained in that state until Rennox lifted then out of their state of coma with the equalising goal. Everton struggled against odds, and it was not until the eightieth minute that they yielded up the spoils. Rennox was again the scorer, but I firmly believe that Rennox handled Spence's centre eve he brought the ball to boot to sent it hurtling through a bunch of players and into the net. Davies could not possibly have seen the ball until it was almost entering his goal, but even so got a hand to it, but could not stay its progress. Davies had played a fine game. The United's football was not nearly so good as Everton's. They swept forward by the nearest route, cutting out any idea of finery and driving the ball forward with sweeping passes. Up to the time of Bain's injury Everton were the more stylish eleven, and if Millington had been capable of better ball control he must surely have scored, for Dean and Irvine gave him some good opportunities. He made but little use of his chances.


Dean, with a fine header kept his goal per match record intact, besides keeping his line moving smoothly, while Troup and Dominy were not always held in check by Moore. Bain opposed to a speedy centre worked, did well, while Virr looked after Spence until he, too, hurt his ankle. Kerr and McDonald defended stubbornly. Irvine's spell at centre half was not successful. He threw his full weight into his play, but his presence in attack was missing. Manchester United were well served in goal by Steward, while Moore and Jones defended in a stern manner. Grimwood was an able substitute for Barson, Of the forwards McPherson and Rennox were the shinning lights although Spence was dangerous when on the move, Everton are to be commanded for their great fight against odds. Bad luck followed even to the dressing room, where Kerr cut his knee on a broken bottle lying in the bath. Teams: - Manchester United: - Steward, goal, Moore, and Jones, backs, Bennion, Grimwood, and Wilson, half-backs, Spence, Smith, McPerhenson, Ronnex, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Davies goal, McDonald, and Kerr, backs, Brown, Bain, and Virr, half-backs, Millington, Irvine, Dean Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. AG. Kirby.



November 22 nd 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.


At Goodison Park. The first goal was scored by Woodhouse soon after the start, and Hamilton, making his debut a centre forward, scored the second and registered the third. Midway though a comparatively even second half contested in bad light, R. Jack reduced Everton's lead. Hamilton did exceptionally well at centre.



November 22 nd 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury


At Garston. In the first half Sumner scored twice for the Royal. In the second half Oakes scored from a free kick, the ball being diverted past Kendall by one of the Everton backs.



November 24, 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

For their match with Bolton at Goodison Park on Saturday kick-off 2-30, the Everton directors last night, decided to play Hardy in goal in place of Davies. Hardy was injured in the practice game, but has now thoroughly recovered. Davies has filled the breach in excellent fashion, but

Hardy's greater experience should prove an asset to the side. The former Stockport County goalkeeper has been playing in Centre-League games and has shown that he has recovered his confidence, Hunter Hart also resumes in place of Bain.





November 29 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.



A drawn game of one goal each was the result of the meeting of Everton and Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park. It was not a poor game, yet much of the play was so indefinite that it could not be called a good one. There was a great deal too much haphazard work in front off goal, and this was most noticeable in the first half, when Everton had sufficient chances to win the game by a comfortable margin. Everton certainly held the advantage in the first half so far as general play was concerned. The Bolton forwards could not developed their plan; too many passes went astray and their attacks were very spasmodic. When they did more with anything like precision they were dangerous, and Vizard made one fine raid when he finished the ball across the face of the Everton got with no one able to touch it into the net.


Then followed a goal to Everton, the ball going into the net off Seddon from a corner taken by Troup. There was a dramatic finish to the first half when J.R. Smith equalised at the forty-fourth minute, while Hardy waited for the ball to run out of play. It was a costly mistake, Hardy stood facing his goal about three yards along the goal line waiting for the ball to cross the line for a goal kick, heedless of the approach of the Bolton centre, who cleverly rounded Hardy and shot the ball into the empty goal. It was clever goal scored from an angle that seemed to suggest the feat was impossible. Play in the second half was more even. It was also more spirited, and in contrast to the first half, Bolton warmed to their work, with greater keenness, so that the game was more of a contest. Dominy got the ball into the net, but was judged offside, and against this may be placed Hardy's narrow escape when he made a catch and narrowly avoided crossing his own goal line with the ball.


Both sides are capable of playing better than they did on Saturday, and a draw was probably the most fitting result of a game that was not impressive. To some extent Hardy made amends for his mistake of the first half. He saved a shot by Vizard in the second half when the Bolton man was but a few yards from goal, and made another clearance from a great shot by Jack. McDonald was a better back than Kerr. The latter was too reckonless with his clearances, while McDonald rarely failed in a tackle, and generally made good use of the ball. Of the half-backs Hart and Brown were skilful and efficient, and missed few chances of helping the forwards. Troup and Irvine were the best of the forwards. Both were responsible for much clever footwork. Dean was rather overshadowed by Seddon, and consequently was not as effective as usual. Pym kept a capital goal, and Finney proved splendid back.


Seddon was a great worker. Not only did he keep an effective guard over dean but he repeatedly broke up the combined efforts of the Everton front line. Vizard put in a number of sparkling runs as also did Butler, but there was a lack of cooperation that robbed their work of its effectiveness. J.R. Smith made some capital openings, and was fairly dangerous, but Jack and J. Smith were rarely prominent. Teams : - Everton: - Hardy, goal, McDonald and Kerr, backs, Brown, Hart (captain) and Reid, half-backs, Millington, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Pym, goal, Greenhalgh, and Finney, backs, Cope, Seddon, and Nuttall, half-backs, Butler, Jack, JR. Smith, J. Smith, and Vizard, forwards.



November 29 th 1926. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.


At Walton Hall-avenue. Both sides displayed excellent combination. Both goals had narrow escapes, the goalkeeper Tril and Hughes making good saves, J. Jones scored the only goal of the first half. Early in the second half Charters put the home team further ahead, but towards the end Haspey netted for Everton.






November 1926