Everton Independent Research Data



Dundee Courier-Friday 2 November 1928

D.J Murray has been transferred from Bristol City to Bristol Rovers. Murray was a member of the South African team which tourned this country in 1924, when he scored 21 goals, including 5 in international matches against England, Ireland, Wales and Holland. Before joining Bristol City, Murray played for Everton. He is an inside forward.


November 3 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.

There is much spice in the pie which Burnley and Everton will serve up at Turf Moor today. Some of its concerns the two changes forced on the Champions by injuries, O'Donnell and Ritchie being unfit. Kennedy the former Arsenal player, who is an Irish International, will receive a warm welcome to the first team, no doubt, and he should be a capable substitute for O'Donnell at left back. Critchley takes the place of Ritchie, whose absence leaves the Hibernian wing in a mangled state. Kelly and Rooney are by the way, others on the Everton casualty list. Burnley are the fellows who have been in the public eye recently on account of the Hill deal, Newcastle are said to have paid a figure around about £8,500 for the International centre half, who has displaced the irresistible Hughie Gallacher as captain of the United. One wonders what Hughes said. With Hill gone, the better part of the bite has been extracted from the Burnley middle line, and the champions, eager to atone for their beating by Leeds United may bring off a “turn-up” –or at least a draw –despite the changes. Another point of interest about today's Lancashire “Derby” the possible return of Andy McCluggage, the right back, to the home team. Andy, who was hurt in the match with Derby County is the broth of a bhoy who gave away the penalty to England which Dean missed at Goodison Park the other day. The teams are as follows, kick off being at 2-45; Everton: - Davies; Cresswell, Kennedy, Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup. Burnley: - Down; McCluggage, Waterfield; Steel, Parkin, Forrest; Bruton, Fitton, Beel, Devine, and Page.


Ted Taylor, the former Everton goalkeeper, possessor of six English International caps, was signed by Wrexham yesterday, and he will play for the Welsh club's Third Division team (leaders of the Northern section) at Lincoln today. He was a member of Everton championship team last season, but he was not signed on at the end of the term. Taylor Played against Scotland in 19234-6, against Ireland in 1923-24, and against Wales in 1923. He began his career with Balmoral, a Liverpool club, and before going to Goodison Park he was with Oldham Athletic and Huddersfield Town. He made his name with the Yorkshire club in their championship years.


BURNLEY 2 EVERTON 0 (Game 1281)

November 5 th 1928. The Daily Courier.



Everton might easily have won the game they lost at Burnley, by two clear goals, inasmuch as they had equally as much of the play as the winners, but the fact that they lost mainly because neither of the inside forwards could find a shot in his feet after the interval. It was not a great game –this means that it will make no impression one one's memory –but while there was plenty of incident, especially in the first half, the spectators were the quietest “congregation” imaginable. There were scores of things happening in the opening season which would have raised an ordinary gathering to some pitch of excitement, but not so those at Turf Moor. The encounter was made to appear a lot worse than it really was, for in the first half, when there was not a great deal to choose between the sides, there was much that called for praise. The second half was not so good, but it was during this period that the home side, displayed that superiority which entitled them to the points. Everton though they pressed often enough, never impressed after the change of ends.


A week previously against Leeds, the Champions' chief fault was that they waited for the ball too long, but at Burnley they erred because they would go that extra yard when in possession instead of making the ball do the work. This coupled with the fact that there was too much of the short-passing game instead of opening-out methods accounted for the fact that in two successive matches the Blues have gained neither a point nor a goal. Burnley were just an ordinary side who put more heart into their work than usual just because their opponents happened to be Everton. Everton ruined their reputation of being a second –half team with a vengeance, for after conceding a lucky goal in the session, wherein they were the superior football side, they laded right out of the picture, and except for one occasion, never looked like retrieving the situation. That one instance was when Troup –one of the most effective forwards on the field, and certainly the most potent Everton attacker-fired across a low centre straight to Dean, who was not four feet from goal. Dean tried to hook into the net but aimed too straight, and Down was on to the ball like lightning, Dean should have scored then, and also on one occasion in the first half, when he only had Down to beat, from Critchley's centre, but he headed straight into the goalkeeper's hands. The inability of the other forwards to level a shot, caused Troup to spring to the front as a marksman, and he did well without having any luck. Others to join him were Hunter Hart and Griffiths, and they caused Down quite a lot of anxiety with their efforts too. Everton served up some exceedingly pretty football for about half an hour in the first half, much better than the bulk of that exhibited by Burnley, but there was no “fire” inside the penalty area. Then when Devine scored with that surprise shot from the point of his toe, they appeared to lose heart, and the second Burnley goal from Bruton –what a beauty –was quite sufficient to clinch the deal. The Everton inside trio have not played so ineffectively this season. Dunn being especially right off colour, and Critchley was hardly at his best, so that all the honours fell to Troup, Griffiths, stood out as best half-back, his tackling in the second half being brilliant, and there was nothing wrong with either Kennedy or Cresswell, Davies brought of many excellent saves, as did Down at the other end. Teams: - Burnley: - Down, goal, Knox, and Waterfield, backs, Steel, Parkin, and Forrest, half-backs, Fitton, Bruton, Beel, Devine, and Page, forwards. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain), and Kennedy backs, Griffiths, Hart and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards.



November 5 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


The game at Goodison Park was marred through a collision between French, the Everton centre, and the Manchester custodian. This occurred after ten minutes play, and French was compelled to retire suffering from slight concussion. Richardson resumed, but was obviously not himself, and he also left the field midway in the second half. Manchester had slightly the better of the first half, and led at the interval through goals by Taylor and Nicol. The lead was increased immediately after the resumption through Platt unfortunately turning the ball into his own goal. Afterwards came a transformation, and the brilliant play of the Blues' forwards and halves roused the crowd to a high pitch of enthusiasm. Stein and Martin found the net, and in the closing stages Martin scored an equaliser from a penalty.



November 6, 1928 th The Liverpool Post and Mercury.

If the person who broke into the offices at the Goodison club hoped to take away the league championship cup as the swag, they must, like the burglar in the old song, have suffered a bitter disappointment. The cracking of such a crib is hardly worth while these days, for the big clubs take good care that valuables such as national trophies are not kept on the premises. The strong room of a bank is much safer, ever since the FA cup was stolen from a shop window in Birmingham. Clubs have carefully guarded the cup or cups placed in their possession.



November 8 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


The Football League again won yesterday at Villa Park, Birmingham, and “Dixie” Dean gaining one of the two goals after outwitting the visiting backs, before a crowd of 25,000 spectators. Ten minutes before half-time Dean though strongly challenged by both backs beat Thompson as the goalkeeper ran out, and so gave the Football League a lead of two goals.



November 10 th 192. The Daily Courier.



The critics on the Goodison hearth are showing signs of eruption again, and a further dose of the West ham anesthetic seems necessary. When Everton gave such an exceptional display of football style at Upton Park some weeks ago. It was in prompt reply to the whinings of measly croakers, who were for a time mollified like a small boy who is presented a stick of dyspeptic-looking sweetmeat, which in the end tastes not so sweetly after all. “When are Everton going to give us goals?” Is the essence of the present rumbling among disgruntled fans. The answer appears to be, so a few caustic wits, either Give it to Dixie” or else, in the venerable words of Mr. George Robey or somebody like that “a lemon.” While it is true that Everton have not scored a League goal since the Upton Park gambol, and three have been marked up against them, it does not mean that a reserve army of sweepers will be enrolled for clearing the cobwebs from around opponents' goals areas or that the expediency of offering a piano to a half-back –do you remember the Valentine Harris episode of pre-war days in another camp? –Will resorted to in order to bring home the bacon again. It is funny now a little falling away from grace wreaks havoc with the morale of some supporters, who want champions to be champions from early morning to closing time. Well, the croakers may be silenced once again today, when the men from the wild and woolly South of Wales visit Goodison Park. For, with fellows like Keenor and others of the Cardiff team over spoiling for a scrap (in the football scene of course), the Evertonians will have much incentive to answer back, with, it is hoped, a certain amount of interest. The home forwards will always be found at their best when harried by a pack of terrier-like halves, and the feature of the battle should be worth going a long way to see. The visitors will, by the way have special greetings for their compatriot, Griffiths, the Everton right-half, who has just been selected for Wales and if Stan Davies, a popular figure at Goodison in the past is among them, then the gathering of the clubs should be a merry one, indeed. Everton will have Jack O'Donnell at left-back again, but Critchley still deputises (and very well-too) for Ritchie. The battle being at 2-45, and the teams are: - Everton: - Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon and Troup. Cardiff City: - Farquharson; Nelson, Jennings; Keenor, Sloan, Hardy; Thirlaway, S. Davies, Ferguson, Len Davies, and McLachian.



November 12 th 1928. The Daily Courier.




Many thrills, a spectacular goal, plenty of excitement, and honest shoulder-charging were, features of the encounter between Everton and Cardiff City at Goodison Park on Saturday, when the Champions deservedly earned the points by the only goal of the match. In view of the meeting of Wales and England next Saturday, when Dean and Keenor will be in opposition again, interest centred on the anticipated duels between the pair, but, miracle of miracles, they did not develop. Dean was too wide-awake, and elusive for Keenor, but he met his match in the veteran Hardy, who appeared at left0back. Hardy must have realised that Keenor was receiving very little change out of the virile Dean, and took it on himself to put paid to the schemes of the leader.


Consequently, a fierce battle waged between the two, and with neither giving any quarter nor expecting, any the crowd were thrilled. Scores of times the two met in grand old-fashioned shoulder charges, and it stands to the credit of the short, but stocky Hardy –the greatest uncapped player in the game today –that he was the only Cardiff players who could stand the weight of Dean.

Dean created havoc among the other defenders with his unceremonious charging, and claimed so much attention that it was a matter of wonder that the other inside men did not obtain more goals. Often the path was left open for them after Dean had coaxed the defence out of position, but neither Weldon and Dunn could put in a telling shot on such occasions. Weldon obtained the all-important goal from a position bordering on the impossible. He was straight behind two opponents when the ball rolled his way direct from a tussle in which Dean and Troup had the better of Jennings, and Helsby, but he delivered his thrust with astonishing accuracy and the ball was in the roof of the net almost before Farquharson had moved to clear. A good goal was this coming at the end of 64 minutes, and seeing that the first the Blues had obtained in 244 minutes football, it was doubly welcome. There was little to choose between the teams in the opening half, for whereas the Blues had more of the game from a pressure point of view the Welshmen served up the more accurate football, and were more eager to get rid of the ball.


The second half was Everton's although the forward work has often been better, both collectively and individually. Farquharson had three times as many shots to deal with as Davies, but performed his job well. He was once beaten by a header from Dean, off a free kick, but for some unaccountable reason the referee ruled that “Dixie” was offside. From the press box this appeared impossible. The Everton half-back were good. Hart was ever in the thick of the fray while Virr and Griffiths were terrier-like in the manner in which they challenged their immediate opponents. At the outset one would have imagined that Cresswell was in for a bad day owing to the liveness of McLachan, but after two or three minutes he had the Cardiff winger well “in his pocket,” and gave a classic exhibition of full back play. O'Donnell performed with his customary good will and came out of the ordeal with credit, though he did give Thirlaway ah easy passage to goal in the last minute which almost cost the Blues a point, Davies, in goal made no mistake. Teams: - Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart, and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Cardiff City: - Farquharison, goal, Jennings and Hardy, backs, Helsby, Keenor, and Blackburn, half-backs, Thirlaway, Harris, Ferguson, Len Davies, and McLachan, forwards.



November 12 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Aston Villa gave a good display at Villa Park against Everton. The Villa had two Scarborough players Small, and Swale, on trial and both did well. Chester from a penalty in the first half then Cook and Chester later were the scorers for Villa. Maher kept a goal finely and Forshaw played skillfully at inside-right with Bain clever at centre half, and Curr at left-back. Everton: - Mahar, goal, Common and Kennedy (captain), backs, White, Bain, and W. Curr half-backs, Meston, Forshaw, French, Martin, and Stein forwards.



November 17 th 1928. The Daily Courier.

“If it takes Everton 244 minutes to score a goal,” writes a correspondent, “how long will it take them to win the championship again?” This pertinent and out-of-place query will receive what it deserves richly, the “cold shoulder,” as the writer of the column is not open to solve conundrums which factious readers care to pile on him. Still Sheffield United, despite the Everton changes are no great obstacle in the milky way of the Upper Regions, and it may well happen that a prompt reply to the cynical correspondent's wit may be given in the match at the City of Steel. Defeat for the champions is unlikely, even with the strangely constructed combination placed in the field by the Goodison park people. So there. The match begins at 2-30 and the teams are: - Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; White, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Martin, Weldon, and Troup. Sheffield United: - (probable); Wharton; Webster, Birks; Sampy, Matthews, Green; Gibson, Blair, Johnson, Boyle, Tunstall.



November 19 th 1928. The Daily Courier.




Everton have given two really bad displays this season. The first was at Burnley a couple of weeks ago and the second was at Bramell-Lane Sheffield on Saturday when the United, having obtained the scalps of the League leaders and holders in successive home matches, defeated them by the odd goal of three. To add the Champions to their list of victims is no mean feat for the United, who are not by any means a brilliant team. The champions appeared to be nonpussed by the keenness of their rivals, and the attack, especially failed badly both as a collective force and individually. Neither wing could get going properly, and Martin in the centre was generally ploughing a lonely furrow, having to work for most of his opportunities himself. Hart, it is true, occasionally slipped a nice one up the middle, but the burly Matthews and the home backs were to nippy that it was they who received the ball.


People might say that Everton are no good without Dean, and while “Dixie” absence is always a serious loss it was not only his being away which gave the United the victory. It was the general scheme of the side which was wrong and, in the circumstances, Dean would have received no more support than Martin did. In the first half the Everton forwards only delivered two shots which could honestly be given the name. Martin had the best chance when he went through unattended, but instead of slipping the ball quietly into the net he banged hard so that Wharton was able to divert the rising ball. Later on matters improved in this respect, and Dunn in particular levelled two or three excellent shots which needed clever anticipation on the part of Wharton. Even then it was not enough when compared with the amount of shooting the United indulged in. They fired away on every possible occasion, and Davies hardly had a moment he could call his own. Penalties played an important part in the game for each side scored from one. There is no doubt in the world that Cresswell handled after nine minutes when the ball came up from Phillipson, but some people considered that it was accidental. Well, it was a very debatable point, and the referee in the circumstances did right to give Tunstall the opportunity to face Davies. He did so with excellent results. Everton had a penalty in the second half, and there was no doubt about this one, for Matthews used both hands to push Martin in the back, and Martin had his revenge, by causing Wharton to retrieve the ball from the net.


Sandwiched in between these penalties –always unsatisfactory affairs –was a lovely goal from Phillipson who pick up a ball which Cresswell let go, thinking O'Donnell was behind him. He was not, and though this did not give a clear opening Phillipson shot out his left foot and beautiful rising drive completely outwitted Davies.

Davies was the best Evertonian performing many brilliant things in goal, and O'Donnell was the better of the backs. Cresswell opened shakily, and it was some time before he settled down to his usual form, and by that time the Blues were two goals in arrear. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Wharton, goal, Webster and Birks, backs, Sampy, Matthews, and Green half-backs, Gibson, Blair, Phillipson, Boyle, and Tunstaff. Everton: - Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, White, Hart and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Martin, Weldon and Troup, forwards.



November 19 th 1928. The Daily Courier.


Everton were unlucky in sustaining their first home defeat, as the woodwork-prevented goal on several occasions. In addition, the Wolves exploited the offside theory to perfection throughout the game. The Blues had an “A” right wing and a local centre-forward on view. Williams in the centre, displayed a fine turn of speed, and repeatedly harassed the opposing goalkeeper. Wolverhampton led at the interval through goals by Rhodes and Harthill against one by Easton. Afterwards Jones equalised and then gave Everton the lead, only for Rhodes and Harthill to net again for the Wolves. Everton: - Maher, goal, Common and Kennedy (captain), backs, Easton, Bain and W. Curr, half-backs, Roscoe, Webster, Williams, Jones, and Stein, forwards.



October 19 th 1928 . The Daily Courier.

Dean helped England beat Wales 3-2 at Swansea on Saturday playing against his teammate Griffiths.



November 21 st 1928. The Daily Courier.


The Champions' replay will take place at Goodison Park (kick off 2;15). There is nearly a wholesale reshuffle of the Everton forward line, as well as changes in the defence. Dean, of course resumes at centre-forward, in place of Martin, who changes to inside-left; Forshaw take's Dunn's place at inside right, and Stein is introduced at outside left vice Troup. Common, the reserve full-back deputises for Cresswell, and Griffiths fresh from his International triumph, resumes at right half-back for White. The teams for the Goodison Park match are: - Everton; Davies; Common, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Forshaw, Dean, Martin, Stein. Oldham Athletic (probable), Floyd; Grundy, Ivill; Adams, Armitage, Napier; King, Taylor, Ormston, Hargreaves, and Watson.



November 22 nd 1928. The Daily Courier.





Everton, playing an experimental forward line, won the replay of their Lancashire Senior Cup third round tie with Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park, yesterday with comparative ease. The score of five goals to three in their favour hardly represents their superiority, and had they thought to apply full steam from the start to finish they would have chalked up many more goals. Oldham, however, fought every inch of the way, but they were at a distinct disadvantage in the matter of football craft, and their enthusiastic and occasionally, clever forwards did not receive the same measure of support as the Blues' vanguard. Everton did seven-eights of the attacking, but it required a goal against them to make them cogniliant of the fact that in the Second Division team they had something to beat. Their opening play was akin to that of an exhibition match, but when Dyson headed in for the visitors, the Blues thought it was time they were up and going. Their thoughts were put into action, and in a short space of time they were a goal ahead, thanks to the efforts of Dean and Martin. Dean obtained another goal before the interval, and in the second half scored two other clever goals, while Taylor beat Davies twice with excellent shots. It is a fact that many more opportunities were missed than ever improve done. This was due to two things. First, the Oldham men waited too long on many occasions when favourable openings had been won, and secondly, the Everton forwards did not brother to force many attacks home to the bitter end, but made one bite at the cherry suffice. One of the most curious occurrences of the game was when Davies picked up a shot from Taylor, and gently punted it back to the feet of the forward thinking the whistle had gone for offside. Fortunately he was right in the path of Taylor's second effort. Hacking the visitor's goalkeeper fresh from his fine deeds in the International at Swansea, was the outside figure on the field, and the busiest. He negotiated scores of shots, which would have beaten many other custodians. Davies also did his work thoroughly, and the home international mediates were the men who really sealed the fate of the Athletic. Ritchie was the most prominent forward, his centring being better than anything seen in Liverpool for many weeks. Dean scored three of his goals from this Scot's crosses, and Martin also had to thank him for a peach of an opening. Dean constituted the essence of a penetrative leader, and Martin occasionally delighted with the manner in which he cut out opening for his colleagues. Teams: - Everton: - Davies goal, Common and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart (captain) and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Forshaw, Dean, Martin, Stein, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Hacking, goal, Ivill, and Porter, backs, Adams, Armitage, and Naylor, half-backs, Watson Dyson, Taylor, Hargreaves, and Asson, forwards.



November 23 rd 1928. The Daily Courier.

David Bain, Everton's Reserve centre-half-back, was transferred last night to Bristol City. Bain, who had been with the Goodison Park side since the start of the season 1924-25, previously had two seasons with Manchester United, and had experience with Rutherglen Glencairn a Scottish junior side. He played behind “Dixie” Dean in 23 First Division games for Everton three seasons ago. Bain, who stands 5ft 9in; and weighs 11 st 7lb., will help his new club against Tottenham Hotspurs tomorrow.



November 24 th 192. The Daily Courier.


There will be a clash of “revivalists” at Goodison Park today when Everton, fearful of a thousand fingers pointed in scorn, and Bury fresh from doughty deeds, fare each other. The Champions have had some trouble owing to injuries, and the selection of their team had to be deferred. The choice, however, shows that they will be at full strength. Bury have had to make dips into the reserves lucky bag which has been proved to contain more than an atom of talent. The visitors' greatest misfortune, though, is the absence of their captain, counsellor and friend, Tom Bradshaw, the International half-back, who has some reputation as a long-range goal-scorer. Tom was recently associated quite wrongfully, with a £7,000 rumour, the Arsenal being the hawk's clied. There is no truth in it. Both teams will be out for the milk today, the Champions to rehabilitate themselves in the hearts of the “fans” and Bury to continue their escape from thralom. Hence, a “revival meeting “ of rich promise. The Champions will win, although perhaps Bury will be able to provide stiffer opposition than is expected. The kick off is at 2;30, and the teams are: - Everton; Davies; Cresswell, O'Donnell; Griffiths, Hart, Virr; Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, Troup. Bury; Harrison; G. Bradshaw, Adamson; Porter, Finney, Dutton; Gale, Bullock, JR Smith, Ball, and Amos.


EVERTON 1 BURY 0 (Game 1284)

November 28 th 1928. The Daily Courier.



Psychologists say that it is a wise man, who knows when he alone is to blame, and the eleven Everton players opposed Bury the “wooden spoonists” of the First Division of the Football League, at Goodison Park on Saturday, must know that they have only themselves to reprimand for not winning by a score considerably larger than the solitary goal to nil. From a purely football point of view, the visitors were not to be compared with the champions and in addition, they laboured under the distinct disadvantage of having to play for three-parts of the game with only ten men, but yet they were able to run their doughty opponents to a single goal. Midway through the first half Ball, the Bury inside-left, in clearing a corner-kick, was in collision with Griffiths, and he was carried of the field on a stretcher with a wound in his forehead, which necessitated the insertion of three stitches, so that for the remainder of the game, the visitors struggled against their more adept rivals with only four forwards. It stands to their credit that they offered a stubborn resistance, but had the Evertonians displayed the same delicacy in front of goal as they did in midfield they would have retired winners by four goals instead of one.


It was a grim fight in the opening session with the home side claiming the advantage but later on it was the Blues, all the time and the Bury men only attacked in isolated raids. These always spelled danger, but the Champions went within an inch of scoring time out of number shots from all five forwards, only just missing the objective or being successfully dealt with by Harrison the Bury custodian. The fact that the Champions relied on Dean more than the extreme wingers accounted for the small score-sheet, and rarely has a match been seen at the Park when the wingers of the winning side have seen so little of the ball. The number of workable passes sent to Troup and Ritchie could have been counted on the fingers of a one armed man. Dean obtained the all-important goal, but had the other men realised that the quickest way to goal was via the wingers, he might have obtained more.


It must not be imagined that the Champions played badly. They were infinitely superior to their opponents, but their methods were not incisive. The defence did excellently O'Donnell and Cresswell playing perfect football while the half-backs gave the Bury attackers no rope whatever. Griffiths was perhaps the most convincing. Dean and Dunn were the pick of the attackers, and they had very hard luck with many shots, which had the goalkeeper beaten to a frazzle. Harrison played a superb game in the Bury goal saving shots from all angles and Adamson was the better of the backs. The half-backs were tenacious tacklers, but fell below the standard line in the matter of feeding. Gale Amos, and John Smith were the most lively of the front division. The only goal came five minutes after the start when Dean and Dunn cleverly dribbled past Harrison who had left his goal to try and cut out a swift pass from Weldon, and Dean banged the ball home before Bradshaw could come over to baulk him. Team: - Everton: - Davies goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Griffiths, Hart, and Virr, half-backs, Ritchie, Dunn, Dean, Weldon, and Troup, forwards. Bury: - Harrison, goal, G. Bradshaw and Adamson, backs, Porter, Finney and Dutton, half-backs, Gale Bullock, J.R Smith, Ball, and Amos, forwards.



November 26 th 1928. The Daily Courier


Everton were beaten at Bury because they made poor use of their opportunities. Williams made a valiant leader, but finished indifferently, and Critchley the most enterprising winger had peculiar notions regarding the whereabouts of the goal. Forshaw played a splendidly and Common and Kennedy were sterling backs, while Maher defended superbly. Robertson Bury's Hartlepool United left-back signed during the week created a favourable impression. Bury were value for their success. Vernon and Hackett scored in each half.



November 30 th 1928. The Daily Courier.

Dixon, a North-Easten centre half-back will be in the Everton Reserves team against Oldham Athletic Reserves, at Goodison Park tomorrow when the home side will be Maher; Common, Kennedy; Kelly, Dixon, White; Critchley, Easton, Williams, Jones, Stein.



November 1928