Everton Independent Research Data



November 2 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Dean is to resume his place in the Everton team on Saturday, and his appearance will add interest to the match with Huddersfield at Goodison Park. Considering that he had four pieces of bone taken from his left ankle his left ankle by an operation, he has made a very quick recovery. White resumes at centre half and the team is: Sagar; Cook Cresswell; Britton, White, Thomson; Geldard, Dunn, Dean, Johnson, Stein. Williams reappears at full-back in the Central league to play at Preston, the side being: - Deighton; Williams, Jones; Mercer, Gee Archer; Birtley, Cunliffe, J. Balmer, McGourty, Turner

Stevens Joins Southend.

L. Stevens, Everton reserve centre-forward, has been transferred to Southend United. Twenty-four years old, Stevens formerly a Wallasey tram conductor became prominent with New Brighton, who transferred him to Everton in 1932. He has made only one first team appearance for the Cupholders.



November 4 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Huddersfield Town are coming back to power. They stand third in the First Division table, and the side is playing with a spirit in keeping with the great traditions of the club. Their visit to Everton today is likely to arouse the greatest enthusiasm particularly as Dean is ready to lead the Everton attack once more. So far Everton have experienced rather difficult times and there is a lot of leeway to make up Everton with and without Dean are two different sides and I trust the return of the centre-forward will mark the beginning of a revival on the part of Everton. Huddersfield just now are a most spirited combination. W.H. Smith, that elusive veteran who has been playing for Huddersfield since 1913 and has drawn four benefits each of £650, is still playing well. He is usually at his best when visiting Merseyside. Another outstanding player is Goodall the international full-back. It should be a capital game, and I hope to see Everton finish on top. The kick off is a three o'clock, and the teams are: - Everton: - Sagar; Cook, Cresswell; Britton, White, Thomson; Geldard, Dunn, Dean, Johnson, Stein. Huddersfield Town; - Turner; Goodall, Mountford; Willingham, Christie, Campbell; Smith, Smith (W.H.), McLean, Magnall, Luke, Bott.



November 4 1934. Evening express Football Edition.

Harper gave North End the lead after ten minutes. Cunliffe sent through and shot past Muir in great style. Harper put North End ahead again from a pass by Farrell. Deighton made fines saves, but even so the Everton goal had a number of escapes. Cunliffe equalized, though the goal was disputed on the ground that the ball had not gone over the line, and the referee allowed the point after consulting the linesmen. Deighton saved a penalty shot by Harper and Everton went ahead through Leyfield. Half-time Preston N.E. Res 2, Everton Res 2.


EVERTON 0 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 1 (Game 1448 over-all)-(Div 1 1406)

November 6 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Smith's Goal Decides.

Everton's Inside Forwards Fail.

By “Stork.”

When Everton and Huddersfield meet an excellent exhibition of football of the highest grad is usually the result but the latest meeting between the pair fell short of expectations, not because there was a lack of clever play, but because there was no punch in the forward lines. Huddersfield were the cleverer of two clever sides and thoroughly deserved their one goal victory. Although there were many faults I enjoyed the play because in it there was much excellent combination, some thrills and two teams fighting –one for an equaliser, the other striving to hold on to their slender lead. In recent weeks Huddersfield have been scoring goals with such frequency that it was strange to see them obtain but one with the many chances at their disposal. True, they had the Everton defence beaten on at least two other occasions, only to find the woodwork standing in their path. Still, one cannot forgive forwards who will not take or accept. The opportunities which are laid before them for the taking.

Dean's Return.

Everton had Dean; their captain, back after five weeks' absence. His return was expected to bring Everton back to their scoring form, but, as in the past few weeks the inside forwards failed and failed badly. Was Dean brought back too soon? He did not seen to relish his task from the outset and, although I watched him closely, I rarely saw him kick the ball. He used his head with the usual effect but no shots came from his boots. Admittedly he gave Johnson's chance to score in the early minutes, and later offered Dunn a takeable chance, but the inside men lost their opportunities through dalliance. Against the relentless tackling of the Huddersfield half-backs the quick shot was the thing. To attempt to settle and “place” the ball was gross folly. Turner never looked like being beaten; as a fact, he had a comfortable journey, if exception is made of his collision with Dean, which brought an injury to both. Dean suffered most, and for the remainder of the game he was limping badly. Still I am not going to make that an excuse for Everton's defeat, which was brought about through the weakness of their inside forwards and the missing of a great chance by Stein when Turner was out of his goal. Yet Stein, to my mind was the most dangerous of the Everton attack. He put in centre after centre only to see them frittered away in an annoying manner. Even Geldard was not at his best. He tried hard enough, but did not seem able to do the right thing at the right moment.

The Decisive Point.

The winning goal came half a minute before the interval, Everton had been attacking the half-backs were also lending a helping hand when a loose ball came out to Bott on the Town left wing. He had an easy road to travel, and then swept the ball right across to Smith. This grand veteran trapped the ball with his right foot, dragged it over to his left, and then shot with great force into the net, Sagar being helpless to effect a save. That goal always looked like winning the match, even when Everton were pressing for it is only a truth to state that most of their sallies crumbled up when the penalty line was reached either through their own remisances or the strong defensive play of Ritchie, Goodall and Mountford. This trio barricaded the way of the Everton forwards. Christie had one mission to perform and he did it well. Never more than a matter of inches from Dean's shoulder he gave the Everton leader no chance whatever, He nipped in front of the Everton man and repeatedly took the ball which was meant for Dean. He was the Roberts of the Town side. I Must say in fairness to Dean that he was often ruthlessly dealt with. Once, he was sent plumb on his face in the goalmouth and got no answer for his appeal for a penalty. Huddersfield's plans were the direct opposite to those of their opponents. They kept the ball on the “floor” whereas Everton lifted it up in the air. The Town's defence was rocklike. Although W.H. Smith has been in the side since 1913, he can still trap a ball, seize a chance, and centre finely. Bott, however, was their star forward. Teams: - Sagar, goal; Cook and Cresswell, backs; Britton, White and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Dunn, Dean (captain), Johnson and Stein forwards. Huddersfield Town: - Turner, goal; Goodall, and Mountford, backs; Willingham, Christie, and Campbell, half-backs; Smith (W.H.), McLean, Magnall, Luke, and Botts forwards. Referee Mr. R. W. Blake, Middlesbrough.



November 6 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 13)

Deighton Saved Penalty

A bright display by Cunliffe, Everton's reserve centre-forward was a cature of the game at Preston. Showing confidence and progressive ideas, Cunliffe twice ran through the defence to equaliser goals by E. Harper and in the second half Leyfield gave Everton the lead. North End had a big advantage in general play but failed to penetrate. Talbot even missed a penalty. Everton: - Deighton, goal; Williams and Jones, backs; Mercer Gee and Archer half-backs; Birtley, Critchley, Cunliffe, McGourty, and Leyfield, forwards.

Everton “A” 2 Liverpool Cables 1

Liverpool County Combination.

The superior tactics of Everton at Crosby prevailed. In the first period Everton were predominant and their exceedingly clever combination proved effective. Liverpool improved in the second half and some good play was witnessed. J.G. Watson was an outstanding figure in the Everton side, and Sefton of the Cables was prominent. J.G. Watson and Webster scored for Everton, and Thelwell for Cables.



November 6 1933. Evening Express.

Form Too Bad to be True.

By the Pilot.

“So this is Everton!” said a friend of mine at Goodison Park on Saturday. He had not seen them in action previously this season. “Yes, this is Everton –at their very worst” I answered. Everton's form against Huddersfield was too bad to be true. One hesitates to critcise severely a team with the best post-war record in the country, but, on current form, they are an indifferent side with a weakness in finishing. It was hoped that the return of Dixie Dean would have brought about a revival, but Dean appeared to be lacking in training and after twelve minutes he damaged his left knee in collision with Turner. Still the very pressure of Dean is a help, even if he accomplishes little, for it draws attention away from the inside men, who should have been happy in this game. But were they? No. Dunn, and Johnson were two of the hardest workers on the field and never gave up a chase for the ball, but it was altogether too much of a chase and instead of mastering the ball it mastered them. Stein was the only Everton forward to do well, yet he frittered away a golden opportunitity of saving a point late on. Huddersfield's half-backs formed the foundation on which the Yorkshiremen built their one-goal victory. They were brilliant. It was a disappointing Everton exhibition, and unless there is some immediate improvement I can see changes being made. The oldest man on the field, Willy Smith, the Town outside-right; was the best man on the field, and yet he began his career with Huddersfield in 1913. He scored the winning goal right on the interval. Only Sagar, Cook and Stein impressed in the Everton ranks. I Understand that dean's knee injury is not serious, and that he will be fit again in three or four days.

Presentation To Everton Chairman.

Pressure of work once nearly lost to the Everton Football Club on eof their most valued sponsors. This was revealed at Liverpool on Saturday night; when Mr. W. C. cuff the chairman of the club was presented by the shareholders with an auto-radiogram in recognition of his 38 years with the club. Mr. Cuff said that after he had served many years as a director and secretary he was forced to leave football because of pressure of business. Three years later, however, he felt the old call in his blood and could not resist it. Mr. Cuff described Everton as one of the best football organisations in the country. “We are not out of the reckoning with regard to the championship,” he said. “If we can keep or team together I am sure we shall reach a respectable position and when the cup-tie come along I know the players have such a high regard for the trophy that it is going to take a good side to get it away from them.” Mr. A. Denaro made the presentation and said Mr. Cuff's period of service constitutes a record for the club, and probably for the Football League also.


November 8, 1933. Western Daily Press

Richard Forshaw (38), described as a Saleman, of Kilburn, pleadied guilty at the London session yesterday to four charges of theft and he was sentenced to 17 months hard labour, it was stated that Forshaw had been a professional footballer, and had played for Everton, Liverpool and Wolverhampton Wanderers.


November 8 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Dean the Everton centre-forward, will not be able to resume his place in the team for about a fortnight. The captain had been out of the side several weeks owing to an operation on his foot before he resumed again Huddersfield Town on Saturday. He was injured in that game had now he is forced to stay out again. Dean's loss is a district blow to the club, who find their position at the lower end of the table anything but satisfactory. Efforts had previously been made to secure a new player to take the place of Dean without result and White was moved from the pivotal berth to lead the attack. This move did not altogether meet with the desired results, and now the directors have decided on another step.

Cunliffe's Chance.

Cunliffe, the young inside forward who has been playing so well with the reserve team, is to lead the attack against Sheffield United at Sheffield on Saturday, and the experiment is one which will be watched with considerable interest Cunliffe played twice for the League team last season, and this season he assisted the premier side in a Lancashire Cup-tie. He made his debut against Aston Villa at Birmingham last March, and scored his side's only goal. He came from the Chorley district. A trustful forward, he stands 5 feet 10 inches and weights 19 stone 7 lbs. He has played in almost every position forward, but this is the first time he has essayed the leadership of the Everton League team.

Critchley Resumes.

Another import chance in the effort to bring Everton back to form is the return of Critchley who makes his first appearance of the season at outside right. At his best Critchley is a most dashing forward, but has not always enjoyed the best of luck in the senior side. Critchley played with the team that beat West Ham United in the Cup semi-final at Wolverhampton last season. Geldard has not maintained his true form and he is to have a run in the Central league team. The first team at Sheffield is; Sagar; Cook, Cresswell; Britton White Thomson; Critchley, Dunn, Cunliffe, Johnson, Stein. The Reserve side v Huddersfield Town, at Goodison Park will be; Deighton; Williams, Jones; Mercer, Gee, Archer; Geldard, Birtley, J. Balmer, McGourty, Leyfield. J. Balmer the Collegiate Old Boys player has been in demand for representative games recently but it is expected he will be available for Everton on Saturday. Williams the Welsh International back it will be noticed is to have another run with the reserve team.


Gloucestershire Echo-Saturday 11 November 1933


By ALBERT GELDARD (Everton and England)

CLIMBING up the ladder of foothall fame is not an easy task, there are dangers of a fall at each step: the danger of trying to climb too quickly, or the danger of trying to take too big a step. I have done this climbing and I know, looking back on my cereer now, I think I can say without hesitation that the greatest moment of my football life was when i stepped into the arena at Wembley to play for Everton in the Cup Final of last season. As looked around I felt not a little bewildered. I had never seen picture anything like the one which greeted my eyes : a hundred thousand spectators—they "seemed many more—riding as one man to give the players welcome as they came on the field. As we were lined to be introduced to the Duke of York, and later as we went to our places for the kick-off, I really felt that I was up against it: face to face with the biggest ordeal of career, reflection I would say that the footballer who has not gone through the ordeal, or had the pleasure of turning out for team on Cup Final Day, has not yet completed his education,


As for the way I played in what Was for me wonderful day I must leave others to pass final judgment, but there is one thing I can say quite frankly: that I did not all the things I wanted to do, or had dreamed of doing in that game. It would not be absolutely accurate say that I was consciously nervous. Indeed I have to be thankful that nerves have not yet played much of a part in my career. For that I take no personal parise at all. Either a fellow has nerves or he hasn't nerves. Incidentally, this respect, the player who is not worried by nerves has real advantage over the man who gets all worked up on big occasion. I know plenty of boys who might have travelled far in football as have done, but they have just not had the big occasion temperament, and on the day when they have wanted to do most, they have been least effective. But there it is. Perhaps because nobody can tell how a young player will eventualy face up to the big occasions is the one reason why managers of football clubs are so often disappointed concerning the development the promising youngsters. But although I was not nervous on Cup Final Day I confess that I felt it.


'Despite the fact that I had the pleasure of playing in a Cup Final when I was only nineteen years, I was not really very young in experience. I had been through a lot or occasions when had been called for big effort: when I was up against it. At the age of nine I managed to get into my school team, and when I was only twelve I was picked for representative schoolboy match. That's big occasion for a boy. During the night before the match I spent quite a lot of time, fully awake, wondering whether should do full justice to myself and to the side. I tried to play the game during the previous night. Whether it was my choice for England a schoolboy, or the fact that I once had real holiday in match for Whetley Lane School during which I scored twenty-two goals myself, which drew the attention of the Bradford Football Club officials to I don't know. But I do know that from my very early days I began to dream of the day when i would first get into real football side, and later to play in Cup Final, and finish on the winning side. What inspiration lies in those dreams; what an incentive to get better and better. Hitching one's wagon to star does not harm.


There cannot be many footballers who have played Second Division football earlier age than I did. I was only few months past my fifteenth birthday, and was still amateur, of course, when emergency arose in the Bradford side and 1 was asked to play for the first team. There was bit of luck about that. It is extremely doubtful, for instance, if the risk of playing me at such an early age would have been if I had not been an outside wing man. If my position had been, say, centre-forward, I don't suppose the risk of playing so early would have been taken. It was big moment for me when I stepped on to the field to play in my first match in the Second Division. Here I want to pay tribute the players who were my colleagues in' those days. I got every possible encouragement. All sorts of larks were played in the dressing-room prior to the match to get over the period of preparation, and to make me forget that there was anything really important the occasion. During the first few minutes of ray first came I received encouraging remarks from my colleagues every time I did anything— even when did the wrong thing. don't think hard and fast rules can be laid down as to the age when it is safe to put a player into the highest class of football. Much depends on the player, of course. Much too, depends on what might be calle< the luck of it. If the lad gets his foot square to the ball the first time it comes to him, he feels ever much more confident. If, the other hand, he makes a mistake with his first chance, he may, unless he has cut of the ordinary temperament, begin to worry and fail to do himself justice. here is just one thing I would say to the lads who get chance like I did, and in saying it I am merely passing on bit of advice which was given to me before my first game. It is this: Don't try to do too much. Be content with doing a little the orthodox way until the necessary confidence comes.


Another red-letter day in my career was when I first turned out for Everton at Middlesbrough last November. I had only just been signed on—readily grasping the opportunity to be associated with a First Division side. I think it was in mv favour that the first game for Everton was away from Goodison Park. Probably I should have felt the occasion more if had been called upon to start on the Everton ground, I should then have felt that all eyes were upon me. But in an away match one doesn't feel like that. One imagines that the majority of the spectators are mostly concerned with the players of their own team. The visiting players are just so many units: the homo team players are the people who matter: who are most carefully watched. I hope I shall be understood in putting it that way, because that is how I felt about it. I was very happy that night after my first Everton match, as I had scored goal and helped Everton to a victory. The luck of it once more. The matches which played for England on the Continent—against Switzerland and Italy last summer —were also big occasions for me. I wondered how much different should find these Continental players to the .men against whom had played at home. They are different. The whole atmosphere is electric, for these Continental spectators are much more demonstrative than the people of this country. But I got through. And now, though I have climbed far up the ladder, I realise I must go on learning.


November 19 1933 Liverpool Post and Mercury

Officials of the Everton club have been looking for players recently, and it was expected that one new man might be signed this week. The Goodison club however, have sold a player yesterday. Common the full back being transferred to Preston North End. Common who stands 5ft 9 ½ ins, and weighs 12 st belongs to New Delaval, and joined Everton from Blyth Spartans. He was last season given a benefit. He is a keen tackler and finds a nice length with his kicking.

Everton-Preston Deals.

Everton and Preston North End have been concerned in a number of transfers. Last season North End secured Holdcroft, the goalkeeper, and Lowe, the full-back, from the Goodison club. Years ago George Harrison, the international winger rendered North End splendid service, after leaving Everton, and Hamilton the Chesterfield back had service with Everton and later Preston North End before joining the Derbyshire club. Kerr, now with New Brighton, also went to Deepdale from Everton, while Frank Jefferis, now the Southport trainer was the subject of yet another deal.

Eyes on Martin.

English clubs have again been watching Martin, the Belfast Celtic international centre-forward. A Belfast correspondent says an Everton representative watched Martin play against Wales on Saturday and again on Wednesday when Celtic and Glentoran met in the Irish Gold Cup semi-final.



November 11 1933. Evening Express Football Edition.

Dunn's Lone Goal At Bramell Lane

A Tame Game

By the Pilot.

Everton were at Bramell Lane, with Critchley at outside right and Cunliffe centre forward. Sheffield United made a late change, Kendall going in goal for Smith, who damaged a wrist at Newcastle. This was their seventh team change. The attendance was poor. Teams : - Sheffield United:- Kendall, goal; Robinson and Hooper, backs; Jackson, Holmes and Johnson, half-backs; Oxley, Barclay, Baines, Pickering, and Williams, forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Cook and Cresswell, backs; Britton, White, and Thomson (captain), Critchley, Dunn, Cunliffe, Johnson, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. W. Bristow (Stafford). The United opened brightly with the Everton defence failing to get to the ball first time. There was no danger until after Hooper had repelled Everton's initial burst. Sagar caught a centre from Williams and avoided a rush in by Baines. Everton's left flank then had to seek aid from Dunn, whose shot was pulled down by Kendall. Then Stein, who seemed to be offside ran in to meet Britton's centre and headed in cleverly for Kendall to save. Critchley received a nice opening from Cunliffe, and instead of shooting tried to give the young leader, an easy chance, but Johnson intervened. Next Cunliffe raced ahead to hit a first-time shot over the top.

Everton Lead.

After seven minutes Everton took the lead through Dunn Stein bewildered Robinson with a clever body swerve and his centre came to Cunliffe, who edged it away for Dunn to score as Kendall, a former Everton man fell on top of him. Cunliffe followed the ball into the net. Johnson was an unlucky marksman on two occasions terrific first-time shots being charged down. After a brilliant run by Critchley, Stein dashed in to bang the ball into the net a split second after the whistle had sounded for offside. Barclay made a valiant attempt for the United without bringing grist to the mill, and Everton continued the more dangerous and accurate combination. Some of the football was quite good and Cunliffe impressed in the early rallies. Stein received from Crithcley and had only Kendall to beat, but shot straight at the goalkeeper, who safely fell on the ball and got it away.

Cunliffe Breaks Through.

Cunliffe burst through from Stein's square pass only to put the ball over the top. The United tried a little shooting without getting one ball, to Sagar in a direct manner. Sagar had to come out to fist away an awkward bouncing ball, with Baines in attendance. Cook almost put through his own goal in a heroic United raid. Sheffield had become top dogs near the interval, although they were a bit fortunate on two occasions with regard to offside. Oxley contributed a brilliant run, and slipped the ball back along the carpet only for Barclay to make a hash of it. Slowness in shooting cost the United clearly in these raids.

Half-time Sheffield United 0, Everton 1.

There was some poor play by the United forwards on resuming, then a cross shot by Johnson went just wide of the United goal. Cunliffe burst through and crashed in a terrific shot, which Kendall beat away. The goalkeeper took full command of Stein's quick return. When Britton hesitated to intercept a pass from Pickering, Williams, standing on the edge of the penalty area, whipped the ball into the net, Sagar not having time to make an effort to save.

Cunliffe Misses Chance.

Cunliffe missed a golden opportunity of restoring Everton's lead when he took up a delightful ground pass from Critchley. In his haste he shot yards wide. From a Stein corner Johnson back headed the ball, and it nearly went through Kendall having to make a wild scramble to get the ball away. Sheffield had two close up free kicks, which were easily cleared. The football had deteriorated. Cunliffe got too far under the ball after a run through and shot over as Kendall advanced. Sagar next cleared from a United attack. The game faded right out towards the end although Everton wasted a chance from a free kick on the edge of the penalty area White shooting over. Full time Sheffield Utd 1, Everton 1.



November 11 1933. Evening Express, Football Edition

Although Everton had a fair share of the game Huddersfield were the better stylists in attack. In the first minute Lapham who was deputising for Balmer had a good chance of opening Everton's account, but when near goal he shot straight at the goalkeeper. Geldard just previously had sent Lapham through with a brilliant pass in similar fashion. Lumsdon, who was allowed too much latitude on the left wing centred well for Robinson to shoot just outside. Eventually Huddersfield took the lead, Lumsdon scoring after the Everton keeper had parried a hard drive by Bottrill. Jones came to Everton's rescue with a timely intervention when Robinson appeared likely to go through. At the other end Lapham was unfortunate with a shot which hit the goalkeeper and passed out for an unproductive corner. Five minutes from the interval Lumsdon neatly beat Williams and centred for Robinson to score a second goal for Hiddersfield. Half-time Everton Res 0 Huddersfield Res 2.



November 13 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Everton Draw at Sheffield.

Helpful Changes in Attack.

By “Bee.”

Sheffield United and Everton drew at Sheffield 1-1, and the result was helpful to the visitors, who are still without an away victory, and on their latest showing are likely to get a victory in their travels as time wears on. They played a confident game on Saturday, and the attack, which had been slow and uncertain in shot, with the exception of the game against Blackburn, now made fast attacks, and although they only got one goal they must not be judged entirely upon that fact, for Kendall, the former Everton goal keeper, against his old comrades played one of the safest games, and at least four times stopped the visitors getting a goal when they reasonably expected they would take one. Kendall started right-and that meant much to him. He went on to make secure catches, and he had far more work to do that his rival, Sagar, whose best effort, in the few occasions he was called upon, was a capital catch of a ball that was flying away from him. The introduction of Cunliffe for Dean and Critchley for Geldard leapt life and pace and a youthful strain to the attack of the Everton side. Critchley played soundly, and put across well-judged centres. Cunliffe did not get a goal because he got under his drives and gave them loft. Yet he played well, and his run through the middle is a thing of danger. Dunn and Johnson played better than for some time, even though the natural hand-off of the last moments were noticeable. Dunn got the goal for his side with a degree of ease through a Stein centre, and Kendall was lying on the ground when Dunn put the ball forward towards goal. Cunliffe ran up and forward in ease there was no sufficient pace in the ball, but his action proved unnecessary.

Sheffield Upset.

Sheffield were upset by this muddling goal; it counted and it courted their Second Division chances. However, they battled quite bravely, and at one period got on top of the opposition without scoring, before half-time. There came in the second half at about the hour a splendid effort by Williams, the Sheffield outside-left who struck a great blow and Sagar was unable to flight the ball let alone save it. It was an encouraging goal for the home lot, and from this point onward they had the better of play; even though Pickering and Barclay were still unable to pass accurately and Baines the centre forward from York, made much play without any futility, as he was rather wild and was badly supported. So Everton had not much to beat if they had the ability. Cunliffe's lob-shots lost them chances, and finally Critchley centred square for an easy chance to his centre-forward who slowed the ball badly. At this stage Cresswell, Cook, and White were playing their wiliest and their best; they did not pass inaccurately, and their intertwining methods were good football tactics. A draw under the circumstances was the fairest verdict because the Sheffield defence was good all round, and save one outburst by Holmes there was much to admire about the half-back line, which was uniformly good forward, however, Sheffield had weaknesses, and Dunne, now with Arsenal was sadly missed. Baines was a shadow of the former light, and generally had his back to the goal when a move was started. This is a bad habit. Pickering and Barclay have gone far back from the form that made then international players of a year ago, and Oxley was a wasteful winger, whereas Williams was a live wire.

The “Wall Game”

On the Everton side honours must go to Stein, Cunliffe and Dunn, first half with Johnson good in keying up hasty comrades at half-back White was a bright defender with good flanks, albeit Britton was not so prominent as usual. The defensive trio was just about as usual, which means they did much work neatly, and were never flustered. Right on time, White took a free kick for a hard foul on Cunliffe, and drove just over the bar; it was another occasion when a wall of defence was offered to the free kick taker. It would seen that players must make a shot, but surely, one asks, is it not possible to devise a better scheme than this wall game, which hardly ever counts for a goal or even the testing of the goalkeeper. This was not a great match by any means, but often the foggy atmosphere makes an interesting game lose some of its point for the onlookers. That is being charitable for the teams; to me I must confess it was dull football after a sparkling opening in which there was much lively football and no finishing pieces. Everton have not won away from home so they were fairly happy to take a half.

. Teams : - Sheffield United:- Kendall, goal; Robinson and Hooper, backs; Jackson, Holmes and Johnson, half-backs; Oxley, Barclay, Baines, Pickering, and Williams, forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Cook and Cresswell, backs; Britton, White, and Thomson (captain), Critchley, Dunn, Cunliffe, Johnson, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. W. Bristow (Stafford).



November 13 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 14)

Although Everton started off convincingly and at times seriously troubled the strong Huddersfield defence, the margin of their victory, does not exaggerate the Yorkshire side's superiority. Their advances work –superior to Everton's –was open and accurately constructed, but it was the fine work of Williams, Jones, Clark, and Deighton that prevented the visitors augmenting the score. Everton's early play revealed so much method and thrust that it looked ominous for the Huddersfield defence, but the early promise was not fulfilled through lack of combined endeavour and although the losers for spasms crowded on heavy pressure, their attacks were not of the quality to overcome a defence that included Roughton, whitham, and Young. Geldard had one good shot cleared, and Lapham was a tireless and earnest worker. Lumsen and Robinson scored Huddersfield's goal in the first half. Everton: - Deighton goal; Williams and Jones, backs; Clark, Gee and Archer half-backs; Geldard, Birtley, Lapham, McGourty, and Leyfield, forwards.

Prescot Cables 1 Everton “A” 3

Liverpool County Combination.

Everton “A” deserved their win a at Prescot not because they had more of the play, but became they made the most of their opportunities. Fairclought scored first for the Cables and Labone equalised. In the second half J.G. Watson and Labone scored further goals. Griffiths and Jackson defended finely for Everton with Brady at left-back, the best of the home defenders.



November 13 1933. Evening Express.

Foiled By A Snap Goal.

Cunliffe's Debut (This Season)

By the Pilot.

Do Everton lack staying power? I ask this question following their 1-1 draw with Sheffield United at Bramall-lane. This was the fifth game this season in which the Cup-holders lost the lead after having forged to the front. Against Derby County Birmingham and Manchester City away they reached a winning position and then allowed their rivals to equalise. The same thing happened in their home game with Tottenham Hotspur. Now against the United, the Blues secured their goal advantage, and appeared to have the game well in hand when Sheffield secured a snap goal, and bang went Everton's chance of registering their first away victory. No one can grumble at a team which captures a point away from home, but four points from 14 played away is not good enough, especially when a team has lost five home points. It seems that once the Cup-holders have gone to the front, they become over-anxious in their endeavours to preserve the lead. Of course, had Kendall, the former Everton goalkeeper, not been in such good form, the Blues' would have won handsomely at the Lane. He made some saves at point blank range when it seemed that the United goal must fall. On the other hand the Sheffield forwards frittered away some fine chances, so taken all round, a draw was a fair and equitable results. Chief interest centred in his debut in the debut of Cunliffe at centre-forward. Let me say at once that he came through the game with the utmost credit. He was fast and elusive, and revealed good ball control. He was always leading Holmes a merry dance. I admired his willingness to take a shot from all angles and if he can contrive to get over the ball instead of under it when shooting, he will keep goalkeepers busy. That is his fault, judging from this game. Several lighting drives flashed over the top, whereas had he kept over the ball they would have found a resting-place in the net. Still, everyone admires a trier, and Cunliffe did try. Critchley had very reason to be pleased with his return. He had not many chances to shine, but he has cured himself of that old habit of placing his centres too near the goalkeeper and sometimes behind. Each of his crosses on Saturday reached a colleague. That means a great deal. Stein had a good match, and I was pleased to see Johnson once again adopting the familiar cross-field pass to the right flank. We want more of this. White was the outstanding half-back Cresswell was outstanding in defence, though cook and Sagar also did well. The United are not a good side, though I liked the earnestness of their wing halves. Their deficiently is in attack.



November 17 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel

Watson Takes Johnson's Place

Everton are making efforts to strengthen their team, which seems to have fallen away from it place since Dean was forced to give way owing to injures, which necessitated an operation, with the approach of the half-term, clubs must see that they do not fall below a certain margin and the time for pulling up has undoubtedly arrived. So far as Everton are concerned, the cup winners find their present position on the lowly steps of the ladder, rather disconcerting, and to-morrow the team will make a big effort to start the desired improvement. The club is trying out its reserves strength and following the inclusion of Cunliffe at centre-forward in place of Dean last week, another reserve man in J.G Watson is to have his chance with the first team. Watson came from Blyth Spartan and has done good work in the centre league matches. To-morrow against Wolverhampton at Goodison Park. Watson is to partner Stein in place of Johnson, and the experiment will be followed closely. Cunliffe continues in the centre-forward position, and the team is: - Sagar; Cook, Cresswell; Britton, White, Thomson; Critchley, Dunn Cunliffe, Watson (J.G.) Stein. The kick off is at 2.30. The reserve side to meet Stoke City, at stoke will be; - Deighton; Williams; Jones; Mercer, Gee Archer; Gerldard, McGourty, A.N.Other, Leyfield, Turner.

Wolves Make Two changes.

Wolverhampton Wanderers announce two changes in their team to meet Everton. Deacon, replaces Hetherington at inside left, and Jones the recruit from Aberaman, is preferred to Beattie the Scot from Aberdeen, at inside right. Team; Wildman; Lowton, Shaw (C.); Smalley, Nelson, Richards; Phillips, Jones, Hartill, Deacon, Barraclough. Like their rivals of tomorrow, the Wanderers were one of the original members of their League in 1888-89, but they have had many ups and downs, and in fact, have figured in the Third Division (North). That was in 1923-24, when they won the championship of that section, and since then struggled hard to rise still higher, finally securing promotion three seasons ago by carrying off the Second Division honours. Their first visit to Goodison Park under First Division auspices was in the opening League season, when they lost by 2-1. Since then they have made seventeen visits in quest of League points, but have secured only one victory in 1899-1900, when they prevailed by the only goal scored.



November 18 1933, Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton have secured a promising centre-forward in N. Higham of the Chorley Lancashire combination team, and he will fill the centre-forward berth in the centre-league team to visit stoke city to-day. Higham is an excellent marksman, last season has 44 goals to his credit. He has been playing well in the Lancashire combination, and Everton representative watched him, when playing for Chorley against Lancaster in the FA cup replay this week. For a time Higham who is a native Chorley was on the Bolton Wanderers books. He has proved a consistent scorer this season.



November 18, 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Everton's position is such that considerable headway must be made before the end of the year if their task in the second half of the campaign is to be anything like normal. Considerable leeway has to be made up. At the moment Everton have 11 points for 13 matches, but the Sheffield clubs and Chelsea are ever worse off. On the other hand the Wolves, who are the visitors to Goodison Park today, have made good progress, averaging a point per match. It was only by a snap goal that the Arsenal mastered the Midland club last Saturday, and they are sure to make a bid to overthrow the Cu—holders. I believe Everton, however, will show something approaching their best form, and I look for a victory to the home side. As I stated yesterday Watson is to take Johnson's place and Cunliffe retains the centre berth. The Wanderers make two changes compared with last week. Deacon replacing Hetherington and Jones taking Beattie's place. The kick-off is at 2.30, and the teams are: - Everton; Sagar; Cook, Cresswell; Britton, White, Thomson; Critchley, Dunn, Cunliffe, Watson (J.G.), Stein. Wolverhampton Wanderers; Wildman; Lawton, Shaw; Smalley, Nelson, Richards; Phillips, Jones, Hartill, Deacon, Barraclough.



November 181933. Evening Express Football Edition.

Stoke City Res, were a goal up within five minutes of the start of their home match with Everton Res. McAryle was brought down in the penalty area, and Bamber scored from the spot kick. Stoke netted again soon afterwards. McArole, receiving a perfect pass from Matthews, headed past Deighton. Everton were not slow to shoot, and Geldard was unlucky in his hard drive, which struck the side of the net. After 45 minutes McArole put Stoke three goals ahead and they maintained this lead to the interval. Half-time Stoke City Res 3 Everton Res 0.


EVERTON 1 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 2 (Game 1450 over-all)-(Div 1 1408)

November 20 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Another Everton Lapse.

Cupholders Rapid Decline.

How Wolves Took The Points.

By “Stork.”

Everton have lost at home again, and their supporters are getting really concerned about their team's amazing decline. For the last few years's Everton have been riding the crest of the waves, so that they cannot understand the slump. They had every right to think the Cup holders would defeat Wolverhampton Wanderers, but Everton nowadays are an uncertain quantity. Gone are the days of their big scoring feats, but more than that the confidence which was once theirs has left them. Everton have not won a match since they flogged Blackburn Rovers on October 14. One can forgive their away defeats, but their lapses at home cannot be overlooked. They are clever enough in their working of the ball; in fact, there are times when more direct methods would serve them better. Wolverhampton Wanderers showed them the way. They had no thought for over elaboration. Keep the ball moving forward, that was the way to the making of goals. Everton often had the ball in the penalty area, but that did not avail them anything, for taken all through they produced few shots.

Lack of Pace.

By comparison the Wolves blazed away at the goal, whenever there was a possible scoring chance. Sometimes the ball went soaring into the crowd; sometimes Sagar foiled them, but shooting was necessary. It seems to me that the Everton side lacks pace. In nearly every one of their games I have witnessed, the opposing half-backs have had more of the ball because they had greater speed in getting to it. True, Everton were only beaten by a goal and that scored from a free kick –a free kick that was fully justified for Cook brought Hartill down flat on his face, just outside the penalty area as the Wolves centre-forward was running through in an effort to obtain a goal. Cook was spoken to by the referee, and when Lowton took the free kick he scored direct although Everton had built up a barrier of players in front of their goal. I often wonder if it is advisable to line players up and so blot out the goalkeeper's view of the ball and the kicker. I am sure a keeper would have a better chance if they could see the ball leave the taker's foot and now have to wait until it has bored its way through the fortification, when it is invariably too late for him to do anything. Everton had one very bright spell.

One Bright Spell

It was the one time they were really on top of the Wanderers, and with a little more steadiness in front of goal they would have taken toll of the Wolves defence, good though it was. Dunn and Critchley played magnificently during this period, and Richards and Shaw could not hold them off, and it was this pair which produced the equalising goal, Critchley made many such centres which enabled Dunn to beat Wildman, but only this one was utilised in the proper way. It was a bonny goal, but it was the last which Everton obtained, although White had terrible luck with a grand drive which struck the Wolves crossbar with Wildman so placed that he could not have saved had the shot been two inches lower. Phillip's opening goal, in a measure, was due to the late effort of Sagar. The ball had come from the rear, and Hartill cleverly nodded it over to Phillips who, in my opinion, took Sagar by surprise by the quick manner in which he took his shot. Phillips did not waste time in getting the ball under control, he simply hit it, and it went into the far side of the net as Sagar made a flying effort to save. Even the Everton looked like taking a point, and would have done so if it had not been for that free kick which turned the game inside out from an Everton point of view. They fell away in astonishing fashion, whereas the Wolves gained more confidence, even though they did not test Sagar a great deal afterwards. Still, one could not get away from the fact that they were the more dangerous side in front of goal, and had a defence, which gave a sound display. Their team work, however, was their great strength, and Hartill led his line well, with Barraclough the left winger always a source of trouble to the Everton defenders.

Cunliffe And Watson.

Cunliffe and Watson did not do at badly. The centre forward kept his line moving, and was ever ready to burst his way through, but his one fault at the moment it is his inability to keep the ball low when he is making his shot. He hit the ball hard enough, but it invariably went sailing over the crossbar. Watson too, can shoot, as he showed in the first minute of the second half when he left loose a terrific drive, which was only a foot too high. The Everton defence was not so good as usual. Cook was wild in his clearances, and Britton, while being the complete footballer, was too eager to do too much. It was not one of Everton's good days. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar goals; Cook and Cresswell, backs; Britton, White and Thomson (captain), half-backs; Critchley, Dunn, Cunliffe, Watson, and Stein, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Wildman goal; Lowton and Shaw (C.) backs; Smalley, Nelson, and Richards, half-backs; Phillips, Jones, Hartill, Deacon, Barraclough, forwards. Referee Mr. J. Milward, Derby.



November 20 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 15)

Bamber gave Stoke the lead after five minutes from a penalty. Geldard was unlucky for the visitors when he struck the woodwork, but the Stoke forwards were consistency dangerous, McCardle scoring twice before the interval. The visitors retaliated with good effect in the second half, Leyfield scoring 2 goals in quick succession. Everton: - Deighton, goal; Williams and Jones, backs; Mercer, Gee and Archer, half-backs; Geldard, McGourty, Higham, Leyfield, and Turner, forwards.

Everton “A” 3 Hoylake 1

County Combination.

At Crosby. Hoylake though lacking the skill of their opponents played well. Despite the fact that most of the play in the first period took place in the Everton half the home team had a one goal, lead at the interval. On resuming, Hoylake made many quick raids on the Everton def6ence. Oxton breaking through to register the visitors only goal. Scorers for Everton were Webster, Labone, and Griffths.



November 20 1933. Evening Express.

They Will Win If

They Will To Win.

Definite Action Needed.

By the Pilot.

Among the last three names in the Division 1 honours list you will find “Everton” holders of the F.A. Cup. It is an ignominious position for a team that has shone so brilliantly in the football world for three years past and which at the beginning of this season, revealed every indication of being serious contenders for the championship. People are asking “What is wrong with Everton?” The answer is difficult. Take the men individually and one is bound to admit talent. Consider the question of knowledge of each other's play and one allows that they have enjoyed simple opportunity of playing together. I would make it clear that I an dealing with Everton's usual side. What then is the trouble? Mostly, I am afraid, it is psychological. Here we have a team that has proved itself capable of sweeping nearly everything before it, yet point, after point is being lost. There seems to be inability to face up to the rough in life although there is evident capacity to wring the last ounce of success out of things when they run smoothly. In a word Everton are suffering from an “inferiority complex” –they lack the will and determination to win through in spite of difficulties. Instead of being inspired by reverses to do better, they seem to crumble before them. What is the cause? Is it the absence of Dean and his capacity for knitting the attack together as well as his power to get a snap gaol? Is it that a number of players –it sometimes happens –have struck a bad patch together? Is it a need for more intensive training? Possibly the answer is a combination of all three. If so what is to be done about it? It is essentially a matter for the directors but I would suggest that players off form should be rested and given a chance to re-develop the skill we know they possess. An occasional respite from first team demands does a player good if he keeps in strict training. The re-introduction of Dean as soon as he is fit is an obvious move, and in this I do not wish to be unfair to Cunliffe, who possesses enterprise and definite ability. But the trouble we are dealing with is mainly psychological. The presence of Dean means much to the Everton attack. The question of training is a matter best left to the club directors and the trainer. They know what is needed; it is up to them to see that they get it. There is not the slightest need for panic concerning Everton's position, but the fact must be faced squarely on a definite line of action. If new players are needed to revive the team then they should be acquired as soon as possible. Everton, above all, must be inspired with the knowledge that they can win if they put their heart into it, and any action to this end will provide the remedy for the present run of non-successes. Of Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-1 triumph at Goodison Park on Saturday little need be said beyond the fact that the Midlanders are a moderate side. They won because they had the will to win. Let Everton take note of this.



November 22 1933. Evening Express.

White at centre Forward: Cunliffe Inside Right

Johnson and Gee Return.

Everton have decided to bring back White to the centre-forward position for Saturday's game at Stoke. Cunliffe, who has deputised for Dean for the past two weeks, moves to inside-right in place of Dunn, and Johnson returns to inside-left vice Watson, who will figure in the Central League team to meet Wolverhampton Wanderers Reserves. The pivotal position rendered vacant by White's transference to the attack will be filled by Gee. If Gee can strike his old form these changes should strengthen Everton's chances of stemming the tide of failure that has swept over them for so long. White is happier at centre-half back but he is a bustling centre-forward capable of causing an opposing defence any amount of trouble. The experiment of playing Cunliffe at inside-right will be watched with interest, Cunliffe has definite ability. He may fit in very well in his new position Johnson's return to inside left was generally expected. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Cresswell; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Critchley, Cunliffe, White, Johnson, Stein. The Everton Reserve team to entertain in the Wolves is: Deighton; Williams, Jones; Mercer, Griffiths, Archer; Geldard, Webster, Highan, Watson, Leyfield.



November 23 1933. Evening Express.

Young Goal-Keeper Capture

Everton have secured the signature, on amateur forms, of the boy who is considered to be the most promising goalkeeper in the country. He is Frank King, of Blyth Spartans, who being only 16 years of age, cannot yet become a professional. He will be employed on the ground staff at Goodison Park until he reaches the age when he may put pen to a professional form. King has been sought by several League clubs, but, as forecast by the Evening Express North Eastern Correspondent. Everton were always favourities for his capture. His is stated to be an agile keeper, quick to take up position and revealing fine anticipation. Everton have secured many fine players from Blyth Spartans, and the Watson (T and J) at present on their books came from the club.



November 24 1933. Evening Express

City and Everton Have not Won Since Oct 14.

By the Pilot.

Everton and Stoke City are both endeavoring to find winning combinations, and have made experiments for their match at the Victoria Grounds, Stoke, tomorrow. The Cup-holders will once again have White at centre-forward and Gee at centre half, while Cunliffe moves to inside right to the exclusion of Dunn –this will be Dunn's first “miss” of the season –and Johnson returns to inside left in place of Watson. Stoke have had a general re-shuffle in an effort to secure their first win since October 14, and will have Ware at centre forward. Everton have yet to record an away victory, and it is curious that they like Stoke, have not won since October 14. As a matter of fact Everto-n have taken only two of the last ten points played for. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Cresswell; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Critchley, Cunliffe, White, Johnson, Stein. Stoke City; Lewes; Spencer Scrimshaw; Tutin, Turner Sellar; Diddle, Matthews, Ware, Davies, McCardle.

• Advertisement in Evening Express. Central League Match at Goodison Park, Tomorrow (Saturday) Everton v. Wolverhampton Wanderers, kick off 2.30 p.m. Admission 6d, Boys 3d Stands 9 including Tax.



November 25 1933. Evening Express, Football Edition.

For The First Time This Season.

Cunliffe's Goal Decides

By the Pilot.

The Everton directors were entertained to luncheon by Sir Francis Joseph president of the Stoke City club, prior to the match at Victoria Ground today. Stoke had out an experimental side, with Ware at centre forward, and Everton had White, Dean deputy, Gee as pivot, and Cunliffe at inside right for Dunn. Everton were scouting in the Midlands today. Teams: - Stoke City: - Lewis, goal; Spencer and Scrimshaw, backs; Tutin, Turner, and Sellars, half-backs; Liddle, Matthews, Ware, Davies and McArdle, forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Cook, and Cresswell, backs; Britton, Gee, and Thomson (captain), Critchley, Cunliffe, White, Johnson, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. Mr. A. H. Kingston (Long Eaton).

Thomson, winning the toss, took advantage of the wind. Neat work by the City left flank followed. Cunliffe's hesitated, and Ware broke through to shoot from a distance and well off the target. Then a great try by Ware. Davies opened the game with a cross-field pass and Ware turned to hit Liddle's centre first time. Everton were taking a long time to settle down, and Sagar had to leap high to pull down Turner's free kick. Everton's right wing at last developed, and when white adopted a back pass, Johnson's right-footer went wide. Ware surprised a nonchalant Cresswell by allowing. Mattews shooting room. This he failed to accept.

Everton Dally .

Everton dilly-dallied and another cross-field pass enabled Liddle to break through, Sagar having to tap out to turn the ball away from Ware's willing toe. Following a free kick, Stein was able to dash through between two defenders only to screw the ball high and wide. Cresswell thought he would show them the way, and he advanced to within 30 yards of Lewis before testing the goalkeeper with a mightily drive, which the keeper handled easily. The football was oft-times crude, and many promising movements broke down in disappointing fashion. Stein tried to swerve round Spencer, and delivered a shot, which failed to find the mark.

A Thrill.

Then a thrill. Lewis fisted away off White's head, and Johnson's quick shot struck two defenders. The ball slithered away to Cunliffe, who screwed the ball yards wide. A gilt edged chance. Stoke hesitated in defence and Johnson put Critchley through for the winger to bring Lewis to his knee. There was little to enthuse over, and the football was hardly up to First Division standard. Stoke's offside tactics helped to take some of the sting of the sting out of Everton's attack. White made a commendable shot, Lewis being on the spot. The Stein broke through in White's position and enabled Critchley to keep Lewis on the active list.

Cook's Error.

Then a disastrous mistake by Cook in 35 minutes gave Stoke the opening goal. Cook had intercepted Ware and McArdle and tried to pass back to Sagar. He placed the ball far too wide and Sagar could not get across in time to pick up, so that Liddle racing in from the right tapped the ball through. Cunliffe took a first timer off White's back header, and Lewis had to give Everton their first corner. This brought the equaliser five minutes from the interval. Critchley placed the ball perfectly to the far post, and White brought the ball down to fire through, Lewis having no chance. Ware went near with a header from McArdle's cross, and then the leader drew the defence before giving McArdle an opportunity to dash in and fire across the goal. Right on the interval, Cook passed back again, and Liddle almost managed to get the ball through. This time Sagar was there first.

Half-time Stoke City 1 Everton 1.

The football had not been good in the opening half, and neither side could congratulate themselves on the success of their experiments. Gee gave the 18,000 home spectators hope when he misheaded the ball and Liddle went away to enable Ware to Headed inches over the bar. Following a free kick, Davies had a terrific shot charged down. Cook was hurt in a tackle but he was able to resume. Stoke were enjoying more of the game and Everton had not loomed up as an attacking forces. In the opening ten minutes of the second half Thomson and Sagar had to risk tackles of a hefty nature to pull up Liddle, although the whistle had sounded for offside. Davies had a splendid chance following good work by Liddle, only to send the ball high into the stand. Scrimshaw's long bouncing, free kick caused Sagar to fist over the top, and it seemed just a question of how long Everton's defence could hold out. McArdle was inches too high with a flying header from Liddle's pass. The Stein at last receiver a pass. He beat two men to win a corner.

Everton lead.

It fed to Everton taking the lead in 69 minutes – I am afraid against the run of the play. Lewis fisted away Stein's kick, but Critchley doubled back, gathered the ball, and made a brilliant run. He centred under difficulties and though Lewis pushed the ball out, Cunliffe was there to flash it into the net from 12 yards. Now Stein cut in and though Lewis to full length. White just failing to meet the return.

Final Stoke City 1 Everton 2.


STOKE CITY 1 EVERTON 2 (Game 1451 over-all)-(Div 1 1409)

November 27 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton Break the Spell.

A Lucky Victory at Stoke.

By “Bee.”

Everton have at last gained their desire to win a match away from home. Their method of winning it was not convincing. On the day's play Stoke were the superior combination and the more thrustful, but Everton can at least take praise for having won there they looked like a defeated side, and some praise must go to the defence for their persistent struggle against a side that attacked in the second half without cessation for half an hour. On the other hand Stoke must take the blame for not bringing their series of attacks to a logical conclusion. The chances were there for them to make goals, and the longer they refused them the more one's mind turned to the belief that Everton would match a goal, which is exactly what happened. The game was fought at a fine pace, and Stoke had the help of the opening goal, which came to Liddle through a bad pass-back on the part of Cook. Sagar could not reach the ball, and the outside right could. This advantage seemed to spur Stoke, but White equalised from a corner rising out of Cunliffe's high shot, which Lewes turned over the bar. White took his chance with that seeming in difference which makes him so sure of himself, and it struck me that the Stoke defence was not set for the task on hand.

Half-Hour of Attack.

There followed a solid half hour of attack on the part of Stoke, but one has to say that Stoke did not look like scoring in this period through their own faultiness, with shot or with the disease for enjoying one more dribble instead of a definite shot. As a consequence Everton turned their first breakaway into a goal, Cunliffe scoring with a capital first-time shot taken without thrill or flurry after Stein had relieved the pressure with an individual run, escaping the legs of defenders. It was a complete turn around of form and a shock to Stoke who resumed right up to the ninetieth minute their insistent attack, Sagar, Cresswell, and Cook make extraordinary saves in the difficult situations that arose without cessation. It was a lop-sided game because Everton never looked like winners, and this game would have been happily concluded with a draw. However, you can't blame Everton for Stoke's fraulty in front of goal. Davies lacked punch confidence and the spectators good hearts. The best chance came to him and his concessions were effectective.

A Good Schemer.

On the other hand, Matthews was the best forward on the field. A good schemer a key man with good control of the ball, Stein made much play on the wings, where McArdle was especially good heading the ball to the centre while Liddle made plenty of play only for Cresswell hard to overcome. Cresswell produced the best shot of the match, a daring individual effort taken by an enterprising man, who had no superior in defence in spite of his lack of pace. Tutin is a dogged half-back, Sellars was big and strong, Turner was slow and the Stoke defending trinity were in good order. Having said so much for Stoke, what of Everton? With their shuffling of the team sheet they hoped to produce a better attack, but this was not the case. White was expert, but the whole line moved uneasily and Cunliffe's only feature was his well taken shot. He had to thank Critchley for an abnormally angled centre for the winning point. The Everton half-backs as a line were fairly useful, none of the three touched his known form, and Sagar and Cresswell were the best when the fight was thickest in the second half. Cook was injured at three-quarter time, but stayed on and gave very necessary help to a harassed defence. The surprise of the match, was that Everton should get two goals and Stoke one. Teams: - Stoke City: - Lewis, goal; Spencer and Scrimshaw, backs; Tutin, Turner, and Sellars, half-backs; Liddle, Matthews, Ware, Davies and McArdle, forwards. Everton: - Sagar goal; Cook, and Cresswell, backs; Britton, Gee, and Thomson (captain), Critchley, Cunliffe, White, Johnson, and Stein, forwards. Referee Mr. Mr. A. H. Kingston (Long Eaton).



November 27 1933. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 16)

Everton can rightly consider that they were unfortunate in not getting at least a point at Goodison Park. Leyfield was Everton's most forceful shooter, and he was unlucky to find one effort strike the angle of the woodwork. The losers were invariably the more polished attackers, yet the inside forwards did not profit from the chance offered. Everton opened the score when Wildsmith turned the ball into his own goal. The Wanderers later followed with two quick goals, the sharpness of the movements outwitting the home defenders and leading to goals by Burgin and Heatherington. The Midlanders defence won them this game in which Everton's latest centre forward Higham (late Chorley's) created a good impression. Everton: - Deighton, goal; Williams and Jones backs; Mercer, Griffiths, and Archer, half-backs; Geldard Webster, Higham. Watson (J.G.), and Leyfield, forwards.



November 27 1933. Evening Express.

Everton Make Progress At Stoke

By the Pilot.

What did we learn from Everton's success at stoke -the Goodison men's first away win this season. I wish I could say we were satisfied that the team's loss of form and confidence was ended. I can't. On the other hand, there were distinct signs in the last half hour's play that the disjointedness and unevenness of Everton's movements to which we have become more or less accustomed during the past month or so, were being smoothed out, if not completely eradicated. Once again one could not help but be struck by the fact this improvement was coincident with Everton taking the lead. Up to that movement there were periods when their football was really crude. Why Everton should be so dependent on success to breed success in their play is inexplicable, but there it is. Is it anxiety? Is it lack of really deep founded belief in the power to win? In a word are Everton suffering from lack of confidence? We Shall see. The team played well enough in the later stages of the game at Stoke to justify re-selection for Saturday's game with Chelsea –that is if Dean remains unfit. One must not overlook the fact that the Blues' chief so far this season has been at home and not away. They have taken six points from eight away matches and only seven from seven matches at home. In the game at Stoke, Gee did not strike his game until after Cunliffe had scored the winning goal, and Cunliffe himself did not play at all well until the second half. White was a great success, and Dean could not have led the line with greater judgement or skill. One point about the game, which Everton were rather fortunate to win, was that the team selectors learned many things, and even though they will not hesitate to sign new men if they can be secured at a reasonable figure, they are finding the ways and means of improving Everton with the talent at hand. Everton's brilliant defence won the day, and Sagar, Cresswell and Cook –except for his one blunder –were splendid. Critchley and Stein had few opportunities, but were always dangerous and the manner in which Critchley centred the ball to provide the winning goal was the best thing in the game. How he kept the ball in play was remarkable.

Natural Footballers.

Burnley Express - Wednesday 29 November 1933

The Moral of Kennedy

By J Hogan

Wanting a British player last season, when I was with Racing Club, 1 signed on a Fred Kennedy, who had played in English football. He was out of work at the time, not even a Third Division team would give him a job, and he had a free transfer. Although he was as fat as pig when he came to us i quickly recognised his abilities, and the rest was child's work for me. He became the best forward in France, returned to English League football at the beginning of this season, and has so far played in every game with the first learn of Blackburn Rovers.


November 29 1933. Evening Express.

As if Everton's difficulties were not sufficiently perplexing at the moment the directors were informed at last night'' meeting that some of the players are suffering from colds. It was deemed wise, in view of this and the injuries to Dean and Cook, to deter selection of the side to meet Chelsea, at Goodison Park, on Saturday, until later in the week. Cook, of course damaged his leg in the match against Stoke City last Saturday. Cook has made good progress since Saturday, and high hopes are held out that he will be fit to take his place as Cresswell's partner. Dixie Dean, the international centre-forward, is still doubtful, following his knee injury, and it is not yet known when he will be fir to resume. Everton have not won a home game since Oct 14, when they defeated Blackburn Rovers 7-1, and since then they have lost to Huddersfield Town and Wolverhampton Wanderers and drawn with Tottenham Hotspur.





November 1933