Everton Independent Research Data



November 2, 1934. Evening Express.

Everton's Reward If They Beat Arsenal.

Everton tomorrow have a great chance of taking a step nearer the leadership of the First Division. At Highbury they oppose Arsenal, who are second in the chart to Stoke City. At the moment Everton are sixth from top, with 15 points from 12 matches, and are only two points behind the leaders. Here are the positions in the table.











Stoke City



Grimsby Tn

Derby County



























































Everton have yet to win away from home, but on their form against West Bromwich Albion they have a fine chance of being the first side to lower Arsenal's colours at home. So Far Arsenal have accounted for Liverpool (8-1), Birmingham (5-1), Blackburn Rovers (4-0), West Bromwich Albion (4-3), Manchester City (3-0) and Tottemham (5-1), at Highbury. Still, if West Bromwich can run the “Gunners” to an odd goal there is every indication that Everton will go one better, seeing that they outclassed the Albion on Saturday. Everton: Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. Arsenal: Moss; Male, Hapgood; Crayton, Roberts, Copping; Beesley, Bowden Drake, James, Bastin.

• Advertisement in Evening Express. Grand Match at Goodison Park Tomorrow (Saturday) Everton “A” v. Manchester University. Kick off 3 o'clock. Admission 6d Boys 2d, Stands extra (Including tax)

• Borthwick, the 16 year-old- son of the former Everton player, will be at centre half back for Liverpool “A” in their match with West Kirby at Cadby Hall, tomorrow.



November 3, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Everton appear to have struck their best form, and a repetition of the play exhibited in the defeat of West Bromwich Albion is calculated to test the resourceful Arsenal side to the full. The game at Highbury today, therefore, is awaited with keen interest. Arsenal are a great side, and at Highbury particularly they required a tremendous lot of beating, but Everton are to try their utmost to beat the champions and bring about their first home defeat and their own initial away success. With so many international on view the game should be one of the best, and the thousands of spectators are likely to reveal in high-class football. Everton: Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. Arsenal: Moss; Male, Hapgood; Crayton, Roberts, Copping; Beesley, Bowden Drake, James, Bastin.



November 3 1934. Evening Express.

Brilliant Play Without Reward

Highbury Thrills

By the Pilot.

Everton played fine football at Highbury today against Arsenal without enjoying the best of luck. They had much more of the game territorially, and then had what appeared to be a good goal disallowed in the first half. Then Gee put through his own goal. Everton failed only in finishing. Coulter was suffering from a slight chill, but Arsenal had a worse worry, Drake had damaged an ankle and missed his first match of the season. Dunne, the former Sheffield United leader, deputised. The Liverpool fans were there in plenty to give the Blues a rally. It was a lovely day and there were more than 45,000 present at the outset. Teams: - Arsenal: - Moss goal; Male and Hapgood, backs; Crayston, Roberts and Copping backs; Beasley, Bowden, Dunne, James and Bastin, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee, and Thomson half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson, and Coulter forwards. Referee Mr. E. C. Carnwell (Lichfield). Everton opened on a high note, Gee dribbling through and Britton sending Cunliffe away. Arsenal were more dangerous when they broke away however, for Bowden's fierce drive sailed inches over the top, and when Cresswell hesitated Bastin was able to put Bowden through. The international shot too quickly, and the ball flashed outside. Britton got Geldard going, and the first corner fell to Everton, from which Moss fisted poorly, and Coulter drove against the side netting.

Britton's Power.

Britton was playing great football, and apart from a little hesitancy in the penalty area, Everton were doing well, being quicker on the ball and stronger in action. Bastin's shot cannoned off Cresswell, then two dangerous centres from Coulter troubled the Gunners. It was Everton all the time. The only thing missing being the goal their concise delightful play merited. They should have had the goal in 28 minutes. Dean sent Coulter away and from the wingers's flying centre Dean headed in from short range. Moss touched the ball on to a post and then grabbled it as it was flying into the net.

Appeal for Goal.

Everton appealed frantically for a goal, but the referee refused and received no other hint from his linesmen. Moss certainly swung round to take the catch. Cunliffe came along with a fierce left footer, which was turned aide for a corner, from which Dean headed in. Britton's job pass down the wing saw Geldard go to the line and make a square pass back for Cunliffe to shoot on the run. Cunliffe threw up his hands to signal a goal, but Moss flung himself across the goal and made a mighty save. Sagar saved direct shots from Dunne and Beasley, but Everton were still calling the tune, and a pretty one at that. Bastin was the danger man of the Arsenal, while Everton's right wing was in dazzling form. Bastin swung one across, and Cook managed to turn it away for a corner, as Bowden was eager to draw first blood. Five minutes before the interval Arsenal scored, and it was Bowden who made the chance. Bowden drew the Everton defence as if trying to create a shooting opening just on the penalty area. Cresswell came away from Bastin and Bowden's square pass enabled Bastin to go unchallenged and score with a low shot which entered just inside the far post. The goal was all against the run of play.

Half-time Arsenal 1 Everton 0

Luck had been against Everton in the first half, particularly in regard to that goal dispute. Everton were a better team and had enjoyed three-parts of the play. Arsenal opened well in the second half, Everton being slow to part, and Sagar had to turn aside a sharp, rising shot from Beasley. The standard of football was not quite so good as in the first half, and Everton were hardly so dangerous. Coulter tricked Male beautifully and his low centre was kicked out to Strevenson. The Ball bounced to Dean, whose quick shot was travelling direct to the goal when Hapgood kicked it away right on the goal line. Everton had three free kicks in succession, but Arsenal covered so well that no shooting chance presented itself. There was too little shooting from Everton as compared with the abundance of approach work. In 65 minutes Arsenal went further ahead through a goal scored by Gee. James had tied the right defensive flank into knots. Bastin ran back to take over and cut in the edge of the penalty area. He let a terrific right foot shot which Sagar had covered, but Gee in attempting to turn the ball aside inadvertently turned it into the far corner of the net. This was not Everton's lucky day. Futher strong attempts by Everton severely tested the Gunners' defence, but they covered and kicked magnificently. Beasley forged ahead from Bowden's pass and midfield a swift, low centre from the line. Sager fell on the ball and Dunne ran in to shoot. Sagar was kicked on the head, but was soon able to continue. James then took a hand in shooting –a fast rising shot, which Sagar turned over the top. Dunne missed an open goal a yard out from Bastin's centre. Beasley was carried off after a collision with Stevenson. His knee appeared to be badly damaged. Why Stevenson was cautioned, however, remain's a mystery, for it was a pure accident. The official attendance was 52,000. Arsenal 2 Everton 0


ARSENAL 2 EVERTON 0 (Game 1491 over-all)-(Div 1 1449)

November 5 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Bastin Goals Decide.

Everton Lack Fortune.

Some Choice Play at Highbury

By “Bee.”

After the superlative display against West Bromwich Albion a week before, Everton hoped to show the London crowd their wares in meeting the Arsenal. Some 52000 spectators attended and the day was perfect. The only thing amiss in this match was the result and it was definitely a false result. Long years of service make me skeptical about the word luck. It is often called up by the people who want to excuse their result sheet, and to act as balm for a defeat. Actually Everton should never have lost the game, and the London press deserve credit for stating the case quite fairly and apportioning Everton highest praise. Everton did more than deserve some portions of success; they reckon they earned the half and the crux of the game lay in a hurried affair in the goalmouth from which Arsenal escaped without a goal when most people vowed the ball had crossed the line; indeed they declared they saw it hit the side net inside the goal area. If that was the case, and it seemed to fit the occurrence to my eyes, then the loss of the opening goal after an eleven has been playing worthy a lead is sure to be felt. I was not at a good angle to see whether the ball passed over when Dean headed it backwards, but the vision of Moss making a fumbling effort and scooping the ball forward after he had found it spinning his way is very definite. At least the critic had as good a chance of seeing the long distance event as the referee, who unfortunately, was not within many yards of the incident, and called pr beckoned to his linesman ton give him the lead. The linesman was well up the field but his view was obscured by the goalpost. And so the referee, acting according to rule gave the benefit of the doubt to the defending side. This was a severe blow to Everton, because they had played with a buoyant confidence and neatness suggesting their work of the week before was not a flash in the pan against a side denuded of players, through injuries. Actually Everton were still the superior and better side when near half time Bastin scored with one of his first class low shots the ball being wide of Sagar's hands. Sagar had made two telling catches prior to this, and had inspired his eleven by his activity, and agility. Now the side left the field smarting under the belief that they had scored, and not got a good goal, and Bastin had taken the lead where none of the other Arsenal forwards looked likely to get a goal. Everton gradually faded out, although they never ceased their endeavour, and eventually Bastin got another fortuitous goal.

Gee Helps Ball Through.

Gee helped the ball to the net through trying to clear or the ball hit his knee; at any rate the effect and the depression were there in the second portion of misfortune. Gee was not to blame; he like the rest of the three last lines of the Everton club, had been superb all through, but having seen Dean hit the crossbar with a header, I think Everton had a notion that whatever they did there was to be no honour and bonus from the game. Yet I would not be right in saying “honour” because their reception was mixed. Dean got into bad books, through a rather wild idea against Hapgood, and Stevenson clogging the ball against Beesley's legs had the misfortune to have his name taken.” There was no justification for this, as both went for the ball at the same moment, and Beasley was merely unfortunate. Stevenson, however, was marked for further notifications, and Beasley was carried off to have stitches inserted in his shin. Arsenal were never the impressive champion team. They realsied how well Everton were playing, and for once James could not produce his forte he was passing badly, and in the end was remembered chiefly for a grand shot –which is not his style of attack; he makes others do the shooting when he has laid his plans. Here he lay out a grand alarming drive, no better than those sent in by Cunliffe, however. Bowden was good till he got near goal and Dunne, brought in to fill Drake's position through the Southampton man's late –on breakdown was a failure to the extent that the spectators began to be ironic when he trod over a grit chance. Everton came out of the game with happy results if not happy result. The work of Britton was outstanding; he made the task look ridiculously easy and his nonchalant method of delivering a pass over the head of Copping and too far from Hapgood, was a joyous feature of the game, to which must be added the fine work of Cresswell, who dumfounded and cheated every spectator and his own goalkeeper by pretending he was running after a ball to see it safety for a goal kick when everyone else knew he would be mulcted in a corner kick. At the critical moment when the ball was near the by line, Cresswell coolly placed the ball square to his goalkeeper, who was more astonished than the spectators. The latter cheered a noteworthy bit of football brains, but then most of Everton's work bore the mark; it had not the ran or finish to make them successful, but at least they were a great attractive force and Arsenal were glad to find themselves victors after the way they had labored in the first 45 minutes. Male, and Hapgood are possibly the best two backs, as a pair in the game. Roberts played according to plan and his heading was superb. Bastin was the dangerous forward, whereas Everton were good all round and not until they wearied of their work gaining any tangible result did they falter like Arsenal for instance. It was a grand match to watch, albeit the crowd took exception to Dean's foul on Hapgood. They stayed to praise for as Cresswell brought up the outgoing players exit the crowd gave him a worthly recognition. . Teams: - Arsenal: - Moss goal; Male and Hapgood, backs; Crayston, Roberts and Copping backs; Beasley, Bowden, Dunne, James and Bastin, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee, and Thomson half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson, and Coulter forwards. Referee Mr. E. C. Carnwell (Lichfield).



November 5, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup.

Oldham's Johnson missed two penaltys.

Everton Reserves met Oldham Atheltic Reserves at Boundard Park in the third round of the Lancashire Senior Cup. The first thrill came after 10 play when Talbot ran out to meet a bouncing ball and almost allowed it to go over his head into the net. At the end of 14 minutes Everton took the lead. Dunn getting the ball into the net, while a minute later King saved well from Sharp. Everton went further ahead, Dickinson neating eluding Silcock to beat Talbot from close range. Athletic reduced the arrears through Walsh, who broke through and lifted the ball over King's head into the net when the latter had run out to meet him. After 38 minutes Dickinson was put through, and although Talbot saved his first shot he could not hold it and Dickinson made no mistake with the second attempt. The fourth goal came from Leyfield while before the interval Dickinson scored Everton's fifth point. Athletic were never within shooting range during the second half, although they were awarded a penalty Johnson who took the kick, shooting straight at King. Ten minutes from the end a second penalty was missed by the same player. Dunn got Everton's sixth goal, beating Talbot with a perfectly placed shot. Everton: - King goal; Jackson and Jones, backs; Mercer, White and Archer, half-backs; Leyfield, Dunn, Dickinson, Webster and Stein, forwards.

Everton “A” 6 Manchester University 1

Friendly Match.

Everton experienced no great difficulty in defeating the University at Goodison. Although the Mancunians held their own in the initial half, they lost opportunities through lack of finality. E. Bentham (3) and Hannon scored for Everton, and Muschamp for Manchester.



November 5, 1934. Evening Express.

Nothing Goes Right At Highbury.

By the Pilot.

Everton scored what in my opinion was a perfectly legitimate goal against the Arsenal; they did not get it. Add to that Gee's misfortune in putting through his own goal, Dean's hitting the crossbar with a header that looked all over a goal, Bastin's scoring with a shot which he hit with his shin, and you will agree with me when I say Everton were unfortunate to lose. I dislike ill-luck stories, but here was an instance where ill-luck, and nothing else lost Everton the match. Arsenal won 2-0, but Everton taught the Gunners something in puresecientific football. There was general agreement that Everton should have had that goal. When Dean headed in Moss knocked the ball on to a post, from which it passed the line, only to be caught by Moss and brought back into play. Hert Roberts, the Arsenal centre-half seemed so certain it was a goal that he walked up the field ready to re0start he match. Roberts Hapgood, and Male are agreed that Everton scored, but the referee and a linesman did not think so and the game was changed. I am firmly convinced that had the goal been allowed to count as it should have been, Everton would have won. They were right on top of the opposition and it needed only a goal to spur them on to victory.

Only One Fault.

There was only one fault with Everton. That was that their brilliant midfield work was not carried to its right conclusion. There were traces of hesitancy in the Arsenal goal area, and although Everton attacked twice to every once by the home team; they did not produce the shooting and penetrative power of the Gunners. Everton's football, particularly in the first half was a source of sheer delight. They made the ball do the work, and by keeping perfect position made the Arsenal appear quite an ordinary combination. Sagar Cresswell, and Cook were brilliant Everton defenders, and in a fine intermediary division Britton was outstanding. Coulter and Stevenson were rather blotted out by Crayston and Male –big fellows these –and were not so prominent as Geldard and Cunliffe on the other flank. Dean had a good day, but was well watched by Roberts, the big man of the match. Everton achieved the honour of having fewer goals scored against them than any team visiting Highbury this term, but had they received their just rewards they would have had the honours of the points also.



November 5, 1934. Evening Express.

By the Pilot.

Everton fulfilled their annual fixture with the Army at Aldershot today and fielded the side, which lost at Highbury . Army: Sowerbutts goal; Dallis and Jones backs Eastham, Goslin, and Rowchester half-backs; Lt. Robins, Williams, Austin, Brand, and Curtis, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee, and Thomson half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson, and Coulter forwards. Everton nearly took a goal in the first few minutes through clever work by the left wing, Cunliffe shooting in a short range for Sowerbutts to push the ball away. Everton display some delightful passing work, and the individual efforts of Coulter, Stevenson and Geldard made the crowd gasp. In 12 minutes Everton took the lead, Coulter being the scorer. Geldard and Cunliffe made ground and Dean slipped the ball through for Stevenson to make a pot shot. Somerbuttes parried the drive but Coulter was there to score at close range. Goslin's penalty line free kick was easily saved by Sagar who later had to go full length to his right to save from Robins. Had not the Army defence been sound, Everton would have established a runaway lead. Sowerbutts was the big man of his side, one save after a typical Dean header being fine. Austin should have equalised from another pass by Williams but sent over. After half an hour Everton put on a second goal. Geldard's centre was slipped back by Dean and Stevenson gave Sowerbues no chance. Just after that Sowerbutte's made a fine save by Dean. Everton revelled in the game. Stevenson made the score three in 37 minutes, driving home from another Dean back-header. Just in the interval Geldard struck the bar. Half-time Everton 3 Army 0. A minute after the resumption Stevenson completed his first hat-trick under the Everton colours, scoring from close range after Dean had provided the opening off Coulter's centre. Dean added a fifth goal, pushing the ball past Sowerbutts with the side of his foot.



November 6, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton Visit The Army

Collection of Goals in Easy Win.

By “Bee.”

After the severity of the Arsenal game the visit of Everton to the Army was in the nature of a panic. The Army has never been renowned for its Soccer players, although the Tommies at Aldershot are full of enthusiasm for the game. Some may declare that the Army training is not conductive to Soccer football; the fact remains that most senior sides find the picked Army elevens very easy to dispose of. This was made further evident when Everton won in a canter as it were at Aldershot before a crowd of soldiers very enthusiastic about their own side and appreciates of the visiting eleven. An early goal dispirited the Army; they had a little fight, and only the good full-back work and excellent goalkeeping of Bandsman Sowerbutts kept the margin of goals down to a reasonable limit. In such a game it would be unfair to individualize. Let me, therefore merely point the way Dean headed his way through the game and to the intricate footwork of Coulter and Stevenson in particular. It was an easy go affair for Everton, who started with a goal by Coulter, and Stevenson the proceeded to rattle up a “hat-trick” Dean following with another after half-time –a hooted effort which is not common to him in latter days his head being the chief means of transport towards goal.

Soldiers' Comments.

After a while the spectators all in khaki turned sarcastic about the efforts of the Army. “Come on the Arsenal” they cried, and a loud laugh came through a spectator crying out aloud “Now the Army you're worse than Chelsea.” Well, there was some thruth in what the critics cried if one judges the Army forward line, which had little resource and no punch. One sighed for a Lieu Egan to show his fiery paces and shot. But there was no one outstanding in the lessor's side. Cresswell celebrated his 37 th birthday, with a characteristic display of ice type and Cook once broke all rules by advancing to the Army penalty area and trying to get a goal on his own. Gee, Coulter and Geldard added goals to make the score read 8-0. ,. General the Hon., Sir Franics Gathorne Hardy, brother 0in-law of Lord derby welcomed the Everton party to dinner, and a gymnastic and fencing team display preceded the match.

Army: Sowerbutts goal; Dallis and Jones backs Eastham, Goslin, and Rowchester half-backs; Lt. Robins, Williams, Austin, Brand, and Curtis, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee, and Thomson half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson, and Coulter forwards.



November 6, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Many representative games have been played at Goodison Park in the past and this season Merseyside enthusiasts are to be favoured with another international match. The International Selection Committee announce that the game between England and Ireland will be played on the ground of the Everton club on Wednesday, February 6. It is possible too, that Everton will have representatives in each side. This will be the fourth game between the countries at Goodison Park, the last match to be played there being in 1928-39, when England won 2-1. In 1924-25 England won 3-1 while in 1889 Ireland were defeated 6-1.

• Britton has been chosen to play for England against Italy at Highbury tomorrow week.



November 7, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Everton directors, at their meetings last night were in the happy position being able to select unchanged team for the game next Saturday. Everton are at home to Portsmouth a side that usually plays well on Merseyside. Everton I am told by one who saw the game at Highbury deserved to beat Arsenal last week instead of losing 2-0. The team that played so well in London will oppose Portsmouth namely; Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, gee Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. .

Today's Central League Game.

The Everton reserves side have an attractive Central league fixture today at Goodison Park Blackburn Rovers being the visitors. The side will include Edward Morgan the amateur goalkeeper of Spennymoor United, who play in the North-Eastern League. Morgan's brilliant displays both last season and in the current campaign have attracted the notice of several clubs and Everton have had him under observation for some time. White Leyfield and Stein are included in the side. The team is Morgan; Williams, Jones; Mercer, White Archer; Leyfield, Dunn, A. Dickinson, Webster and Stein. The kick off is at 2.45.



November 7, 1934. Evening Express.

Can They Spoil Everton's Home Record?

By the Pilot.

The F.A. Cup Finalists, Portsmouth, will be on Merseyside on Saturday. They will oppose Everton at Goodison Park. Everton will field the eleven that lost to Arsenal. Portsmouth are a well-balanced side and invariably have done well in contests at Goodison Park. Last season they visited Walton a week before their Wembley Final against Manchester City, and sprang a surprise by forcing a division of the spoils. They previous season they also drew on the ground. This time they will be facing a team with a 100 per cent home record. Everton's play against West Bromwich Albion and Arsenal should encourage the players to go forward to further triumphs. In my opinion, they have only to play as well to make sure of their seventh home success. Everton: - Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter.



November 8, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 13)

Everton Throw Away A Point.

Chances Missed In Central League Game.

Everton Reserves threw away a point by only drawing one goal each with Blacburn Rovers in the Central league game at Goodison Park yesterday. They were infinitely the better side in the first half, when Blackburn Rovers showed little or no ball control, but the Everton inside forwards made the mistake of keeping the ball close, and in the end saw their slender interval lead of a goal snatched from them. This goal came through Webster, who took a pass from Stein, which Dunn, who had worked over to the left wisely let go to his colleagues, for the inside left hit a rising ball which gave Hughes no chance of stopping. Previous to this Webster had brought the Rovers' goalkeeper full length with a screw shot and altogether he and Dunn were the pick of the forwards. A. Dickinson showed several nice movements but generally he was overshadowed by McCaughley, who, like Lanceley and Crook the backs, were Blackburn's best men. White played a great game in holding up the Rovers inside forwards, and Williams and Jones made no mistakes in defence. Morgan a twenty-year old amateur on trial from Spennymoor, got little chance to shine, in goal so that there is no telling his capabilities, but he was lucky on one occasion when drawn from his goal to find Jones head the ball out of goal.

The Equaliser.

The equalising point came five minutes from the end, when Milne crossed the ball and Benson the leader netted. Blackburn this half had been more business like, and deserved a division of the points, but had Everton accepted their chances early on they would have won readily . Teams: - Everton: - Morgan, goal; Williams and Jones, backs; Mercer, White and Archer, half-backs; Leyfield, Dunn, A. Dickinson, Webster and Stein, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Hughes, goal; Crook and Lancely, backs; Crawford, McCaughley, and Young, half-backs; Milne, Pinxton, Benson, Brennan, and Robbins, forwards.



November 10 1934. Evening Express Football Edition.

Dean's “Double” in Close Struggle.

Cunliffe Scores The Decider.

By the Watcher.

Everton sank the good ship “Pompey” at Goodison Park today, but they did not have an easy task. Both Portsmouth's goals were the result of sudden breakaways whereas Everton's goals came from well-worked movements. Everton's International left wing scintillated. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Coulter, forwards. Portsmouth: - Gilfiallan goal; Rockford and W. Smith, backs; Nicol, Salmond, and Thackeray, half-backs; Worrall, Anderson, Weddle, Easson and Rutherford, forwards. Referee Mr. A. T. Jewell, (London). Both sides went near in the opening minutes and Cunliffe raised the Blues, hopes by swinging out a long pass to Geldard. The ball however, was too fast for Geldard and it passed into touch. Thomson tested Gilfillian with a flying header from a cross by Britton, and at the other end Easson shot into Sagar's hands. Dean, who, during the early stages, had few opportunities because of the attention of Salmond the Pompey pivot, gave Everton the lead after 15 minutes. The ball had been worked down the centre, and from a tussle with several Portsmouth players, Coulter secured possession and bobbled the ball into the goalmouth. Dean was there, and controlling the bouncing ball he shot it into the roof of the net.

Goal Tonic.

This early goal acted as a tonic to Everton, who almost got another within four minutes. Stevenson slipped a fine pass out to Coulter, and from the latter's cross Gilfillan had an exceptionally hard job to throw the ball clear. Portsmouth were settling down better now and the crowd of nearly 30,000 got a thrill when Weddle brought Sagar to his knees with a fierce drive from close in. Dean got a remarkable second goal for Everton in 36 minutes. Stevenson put the ball out to Coulter who immediately square the ball, which dropped right in front of goal. Gilfillan touched it with his fingers-tips as he leapt up into the air in an effort to push it over the top. The ball fell in front of Dean, who banged it under the bar with a twist of his head. It was an opportunist goal and one for which the crowd gave Dean a great ovation.

Rutherford Skims The Bar.

When Pompey attacked, on the left Rutherford made many hearts beat when his final shot skimmed the crossbar. Little had been seen of the Portsmouth attack in the first half, this being due to the iron grip of the Everton halves. Both the Everton wingers scintillated, and the wonder is that the Blues did not cross over with a bigger lead. Right on half-time Pompey reduced their deficit. During an attack originated by a long lob from Thackeray, Weddle got his head to the ball and sent it whizzing into the net with Sagar helpless at the other side.

Half-time Everton 2 Portsmouth 1.

Everton went straight down on the resumption, Stevenson ending the movement with a crisp ground shot, which brought Gilfillan to his knees. Portsmouth hardly seemed “Portsmouth” without their old favourities Jack Smith, a fact which was commented upon all sides. Salmond, though a hard worker, was unable to keep Dean in check. Geldard was putting across many fine centres, but Everton's Irish international left wing –Stevenson and Coulter –was the best on the field. Portsmouth lacked thrust, and this was particularly evident when first Easson completely missed a “sitter” presented him by Weddle, and then Rutherford placed a corner so far back that the ball was picked up by Dean near the half-way line. Geldard made things “hot” for Pompey when after rounding Smith, he muddled a ball which flashed across the goalmouth. Unfortunately, none of the Everton inside men were far enough up to take advantage of it. Much against the run if play Portsmouth got an equaliser with 58 minutes. Anderson was the scorer. The ball had come into the centre from Rutherford, and while players were trying to obtain possession Anderson nipped in and sent the ball whizzling towards goal. Sagar was unprepared and thus Portsmouth obtained what most people will admit an undeserved equaliser.

Everton Ahead Again.

Everton went ahead again however, within 65 minutes. They had been attacking hotly for some time when Cunliffe, while standing just outside the penalty area, robbed Thackeray of the ball and after bringing the ball under control hit it with such accuracy that it zoomed over the players ‘heads and entered the goal just underneath the bar. So many players were between Gilffillan and Cunliffe at the time Cunliffe took the shot, that Gillian was unable to place himself for the ball. Even if he had I doubt whether he could have prevented it entering the net, for, like Weddle's shot, it was going terrifically fast. Final Everton 3 Portsmouth 2.



November 10 1934. Evening Express Football Edition.

Santley early missed an excellent chance for Newcastle. Everton put up a good defence and when they at length got going Hughes had to save a fine centre from Leyfield. Cairns should have given Newcastle the lead when he hit the upright. Everton, however at the 22 nd minute took the lead with a goal by A. Dickinson. This was followed by another five minutes later by Dunn. In the 37 minute Cairns reduced the lead. Half-time Newcastle United Res 1, Everton Res 2.



November 10, 1934. Evening Express, Football Edition.

Oldest Club in the Football league.

Notts County's Battle to Cup Fame.

The Most Original Goalkeeper.

By a special Correspondent.

Notts County are the oldest club in the Football League. Founded in 1862 they were famous before such sides as Aston Villa, Arsenal and others were thought of. They owe their origin to a group of well-to-do folk who had seen the infant game of Soccer gain lusty strength in Sheffield. These gentlemen were greatly impressed and decided to introduce it to their own famous city. First, they had to gather a team together. Then they had to teach some of the players the rules. They played amongst themselves in the shadow of Castle Rock, in a district known as the Park. But the game gained favour, and it was not long before other clubs sprang up, among them Nottingham Forest, whose members had originally played shinney –a primitive form of hockey. In those early days most of the Notts County footballers were also crickters of renown. There was the great Richard Daft, for instance, and also George Parr, “the Lion of the North” as he was known. Daft was a forward and Parr a full back. On the cricket field they were outstanding and Parr, took a team to Australia. Later came F.H. Greenhalgh, another full back from Mansfield, who was selected to play for England in the first international match with Scotland, which was decided at Glasgow in 1872. Amongst his colleagues was J.C. Clegg, now Sir Charles Clegg, veteran president of the Football Association. With such men at their command the fame of Notts soon spread. In 1875 they went to Glasgow and played the mighty Queen's Park team, losing that engagement, incidentally by 6 goals to 0. The players paid their own expenses for this trip, which shows how enthusiastic they were. A return match was arranged at Nottingham, and this time the County held their doughly opponents to a draw. The score was 1-1 and Notts goal was the first ever scored by an English club against the Scottish team.

“The People's Williams.”

In 1878 having been strengthened by the acquisition of players from Nottingham Law, a club which had just broken up the County decided to enter for the F.A. Cup, but after a while their fortunes faded to such an extent that they themselves had to disband. A meeting was called to discuss Notts future, and so little interest was displayed that only nine people attended. There was one brave spirit among those nine, however, -Mr. A. Ashwell –and he determined that the club should carry on. Things improved almost at once largely because some good players decided to throw in their lot with the old club. Among these was the great William Gunn, who had been associated with the Forest. Gunn was the first professional to hold the double distinction of having played for England against Scotland at soccer and against Australia at cricket. Starting life in humble circumstances, “The People's William's,” as he was known, built up a successful business as a sports outfitter, and when he died in 1921 he left a fortune of £60,000. His two nephews Jack and George Gunn, played cricket for Notts and England, and now George's son is carrying on the family tradition on the sunlit field. In the early 80's Notts County had seven international players at their command and the club that had been in danger of dissolution such a short time before, began to do doughty deeds in the Cup. They travelled as far as the semi-final in 1883 and again in 1884, and in the latter season, they were unbeaten at home. Even “Proud Preston” the greatest team of that time had to acknowledge defeat at Trent Bridge (where Notts were than established) –but they put their reputations right when the teams played a return fixture in Lancashire. The score then was 14-0.

First Second Division Cup Winners.

Having adopted professionalism, not o much willingly, but as a measure of self-preservation, Notts joined the Football league when it was formed in 1888. The first match under League auspices was at Everton and they were beaten. Defeat in fact, was usually their lot at this stage of their existence, and at the end of the first season, only one club Stoke had a worse record. After five seasons, Notts were relegated to the second Division. Indeed they were the first club to suffer that fate for the lower section was added only that year. This was an unexpected fall from grace because their position had been third in 1891, and they had also reached the cup final in which Blackburn Rovers beat them. Relegation however, did not dishearten them, and they made gallant efforts to win their way back. In their first season, they gained third place, but what was even more satisfactory they won the F.A. Cup beating Bolton Wanderers in the Final by 4 goals to 1. This gave them the distinction of being the first Second Division Club to carry off the trophy. Their centre half in this cup triumph was a Scot, David Calderhead who, in later years, became manager of Chelsea and was the first ex-professional player to be awarded the League's long service medal. The outside left was H. R. Drat a son of the founder of the club already mentioned. The star player was J. Logan a centre forward secured from Aston Villa whose dribbling was superb. It is rather odd that Notts have never won the Cup since that year, nor have they reached the Final again. From years they spent in Division 2 then, in 1897 they won the Championship and returned to their original company. They held their place for 16 seasons, and then suffered a second relegation. In one season they won their way back again only to lose their status for the third time immediately after the War. In 1923 they went up again, but did not stay long and in 1929-30 they did so badly in Division 2, that they suffered a further drop to the Southern Section of the Third Division. One season there was enough, however, and they won their way back. Convincingly, and in the Second Division they are today. When a club has been in existence for over 70 years, it is a hopeless task trying to make adequate reference to all the fine players who have worm its colour. Great men of a gentleman ago, however were Percy Humphreys, H.L. Maniman Herbert, Dainty Walter Bull, and that famous defence made up of Iremonger Morley and Montgomery. Under the old offside rule, Billy McCracken of Newcastle, was given credit for inventing the one-back game. Notts people will tell you that Morley was the man who though out this trick of foiling forwards, and that McCracken only developed his idea.

Original Giant Goalkeeper.

Iremonger who stood 6ft 5in, was one of the most original gaolkeepers football has ever known. He through nothing of running yards out of his goal and tackling an oncoming forward and sticking to his man until he had diverted his progress to the touchline. The he would force his opponents to concede a throw in and more than once Iremonger took the throw in himself. A most consistent player the giant did not miss a singular first team match from Feb, 1917 to Oct 1912. Like the old players of the club he played cricket for Nottinghamshire as did Riley Flint his captain.


EVERTON 3 PORTSMOUTH 2 (Game 1492 over-all)-(Div 1 1450)

November 12 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury.

Everton's High Standard.

Is There Too Much Passing?

By “Stork.”

Everton, by their 3-2 victory over Portsmouth at Goodison park, set up something they have never before accomplished in their forty-six years of League history; that is to win their first seven home matches of the season. It was rather more easily accomplished that the actual score would denote, for it is only a truth to say that they attacked for fully 75 per cent of the game. Everton have set themselves such a high standard of play that they will find it difficult to maintain, and if they are not careful they will find that this ultra clever football, which they have been producing in recent weeks, may lead to their own undoing. They are making two, sometimes three passes where one would suffice and while this is undoubtedly good as a spectacle, it may cost them goals in future. More goals would have been the reward if it had not been for their over-indulgence in the matter of passing' I recall when everyone was voting the open game the right one, because it produced goals in abundance; but nowadays the crowd has been educated into the belief of the short passing game, but it has only got to fail for the same crowd to urge for the return of the old-fashioned type. There was to my mind, too much passing against Portsmouth.

Clever Left-Wing.

It is difficulty to adversely criticize the left wing pair, Stevenson and Coulter, because they are producing good football; but I would ask of them to remember that there are other forwards on the field, and that the ball is not there for their use alone. A thinking half-back or full back should soon tumble to the moves of Stevenson and Coulter, for instantly one gets the ball he immediately looks for his partner, and the ball is sent across to him. I could see what was going to happen quite a time before it came about ands why Portsmouth did not tumble to it I could not understand. Coulter and Stevenson between them are making a great wing, and my criticism is not made to destroy it, but to bring it even greater success. After the first 20 minutes Portsmouth were made to look moderate foremen. During their good spell they took the more direct route to goal, and were dangerous, but they then fell into the nasty habit of bringing force into play. Even the quick tackling of Salmond Thackeray, and Nichol could not destroy the Everton combination. It is entrancing football that Everton are serving up, but it was just the desire to make an opponents look small that enabled Portsmouth to score a second goal. In the first place it was a short back-pass by Cresswell to Gee and then a mis-pass by Gee which left Anderson with an open goal. He levelled the scores, Weddle having scored the first goal just before the interval.

Dean's Goal.

Dean's two goals were the work of an artist. Stevenson “gave” him the first by a fine lob pass over W. Smith's head so that dean stretched out his leg and flipped the ball further away from Grilfillan. The second came through Coulter who was unlucky to see Rockford head his strong shot straight up in the air. All seemed well, but Dean saw an opening, and when the ball dropped he quickly nodded it into the pot. The best shot of the match was made by Cunliffe, the ball flashing into the net. Everton fully deserved to win. Portsmouth missed the prompting of Jack Smith. The forward line on Saturday lacked a connecting link and only Worrall was a success. He was the big danger to Everton, for Ruherford was feeble with his centres Salmond has filled Allen's shoes satisfactorily. His head was ever there to beat Dean, and with a little more discretion and not quite so much pushing he would be the equal of any “third back” in the game. Geldard and Cunliffe maintained their good form, but Thomson was not so sure with his passes as in previous games, but the rest of the team could not be faulted Cresswell is still a joy to watch and an object lesson to the budding player, because of the keen powers of anticipation and judicious kicking of the ball. . Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Coulter, forwards. Portsmouth: - Gilfiallan goal; Rockford and W. Smith, backs; Nicol, Salmond, and Thackeray, half-backs; Worrall, Anderson, Weddle, Easson and Rutherford, forwards. Referee Mr. A. T. Jewell, (London).



November 12 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central League (Game 14)

A remarkably good game under atrocious weather conditions was played at Newcastle. Dickinson and Dunn gave Everton a two goals lead in half an hour. Speed on the wings of Leyfield and Stein featured the polished Everton attacks. Cairns reduced the margin. After the interval Pearson scored twice for Newcastle. Webster equalising. The sides were splendidly matched. Nelson and Davidson defended well for the United, while the Everton wing halves, Mercer and Archer plied the forwards skillfully.



November 12 1934. Evening Express.

But Home Record Maintained.

By the Watcher.

Everton were given their hardest fight of the season at Goodison Park on Saturday, when they beat Portsmouth 3-2. It was their seventh successive home win –a record for the club –but while it appeared at one time that they would march forward to an easily win, the F.A. Cup finalists staged a glorious revival. Everton were two goals up when Pompey set about their task with such right will that they drew level. The Blues, however, had the faculty for fighting their way to victory and the points. It was a good result, although it could not be said that the team played as well as against West Bromwich Albion and Arsenal. If the rest of the side had combined and shown the understanding which characterized the work of Coulter and Stevenson on the left wing the result may not have been so long in doubt. In my opinion, the halves never reached their best form, and perhaps it was as well for them that the Portsmouth attack was woefully weak in its shooting. Geldard was quiet on the right, with the exception of flashes of brilliance. On the other hand, his partner Cunliffe, had a good day and, along with Dean, gave the Pompey defence many anxious moments. Dean (2), and Cunliffe scored for Everton, and Weddle and Anderson for Portsmouth.



November 14, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

For the fourth week in succession Everton's team to meet Stoke City at Stoke, shows no change. Thus the side will be: - Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. Kick off is at 2.30. The Everton team to meet Preston North End at Deepdale in the semi-final of the Lancashire Senior Cup, on Saturday will be: - Deighton; Williams, Jones; Mercer, Clarke, Archer; Leyfield, Dunn, A. Dickinson, Webster, Stein.

• Harold Houghton, Norwich City's outside left and former Everton player for whom Norwich paid a big fee to Exeter City last march, has at his own request been placed on the open-to-transfer list. Houghton's reason are that he cannot do himself justice owing to the ill-health of his wife and family. The Norwich directors gave him a chance of changing his mind. Houghton when with Exeter was reckoned to be the cleverest forward in the Southern section of the Third Division.



November 17 1934. Evening Express Football Edition.

Faulty Covering Baulks Everton

Coulter The Star at Stoke.

By the Pilot.

So near and yet so far. Everton's first away victory of the season eluded them at Stoke by an odd goal margin. On the score of football ability Everton should have won but bad covering in defence was fatal. Coulter the Everton forward, was the star of the match . Stoke City: - Lewis, goal; McGrory and Spencer, backs; Spencer Tutin, and Sellars, half-backs; Matthews, Liddle, Sale, Davies and Johnson, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain) Stevenson and Coulter, forwards. Referee Mr. Mr. H. N. Mee, (Mansfield). It was a dull day, but Coulter early-brightened matters with a clever dribble and Matthews showed that his talent form was all-wrong. Everton forced two corners, which brought no tangible reward, them in four minutes Dean scored a brilliant goal. The ball was pushed forward on the floor by Cunliffe, a neat headed ball, and Dean raced ahead closely attended by Turner. Turner shouldered Dean a minute too late, but a right-foot shot delivered with rare precision, left Lewis helpless. A great goal this. Almost from the kick off, it could not have been a minute later, Thomson in passing back to Sager conceded a corner. This was accurately placed by Matthews and Johnson equalised with a high ball, which dropped over the out-stretched arm of Sagar.

Stoke Forge Ahead.

Two goals in a minute was good going, and there was abundant excitement. Stoke forged ahead three minutes later. Johnson was the schemer who paved the way for the goal Liddle being the scorer. Johnson took a shot and Sagar only parried the ball across goal. Davies dropped his pass and Liddle tapped it through while Thomson made an effort to play goalkeeper. Thomson touched the ball, but

It passed in to the net. Three goals in five minute's! Everton's defence had not been happy against the fast-moving Stoke forwards. Cunliffe drove over after Britton had taken over the Geldard role. Then Sale dashed through and hooked a beauty over the bar. Matthews followed suit just after. Coulter ran through, thanks to “hands” and banged one against the side netting. Dean headed over from a corner. Coulter dribbled past three men and Lewis just managed to scramble the ball away from the willing head of Dean. Everton were enjoying most of the play, and both sides were serving up good fare.

Dean's Goal Disallowed.

The Stoke wingers troubled the Blues Johnson in particular, but it was Everton who next got the ball into the net. Coulter ran it through from Dean's heading pass. Dean, however, had been pulled up for a push. A quick raid from a free kick had Everton in a jumble, and Sale crashed a terrific right foot shot against the foot of the post. Everton's left flank got going, and the ball travalled via Cunliffe to the left, and a misunderstanding almost led to the equaliser, Turner just kicking against Geldard and behind.

Half-time Stoke City Everton 1.

Everton's attack had been good in the first half, but the fault lay in bad covering by the defence. Everton did not deserve to be behind at the interval, Coulter was magnificent and twice his centres brought danger to the home goal, Lewis having to go full length to turn Stevenson's low shot with one hand. So far as football went, Everton were all over the opposition and at any moment looked like taking the equaliser. It was certainly deserved. Eight minutes of the second half had passed before Stoke attacked, and then it was due to a free kick.

Third Goal Shock.

A shock came to Everton in 58 minutes. They had played all the good football and done all the good work, and then a mistake by Cresswell presented the City with their third goal. Cresswell had time to head away when attended by Sale, but he back-headed, and Sagar dashed out to baulk Sale. The ball was pushed aside to Johnson who scored easily. Thomson dribbled and schemed and finished up with a straight one, which Lewis gathered. Everton were still doing all the pressing, but luck was against them in the goalmouth.

Everton Reward.

The Blues gained their just reward in 70 minutes when Stevenson reduced the lead, Coulter broke away and dropped over a centre which Dean edged aside. The City defenders were slow in intercepting, and Stevenson nipped through with a header to bring the ball down and score with a fine right-foot cross shot. Coulter had a great chance of equalisering when Dean ran ahead, drew the defence and passed to the goalmouth. With only Lewis to beat Coulter drove against him, while trying to place the ball into the corner. Sale ran through on his own and shot past the advancing Sagar. It was a long succession of thrills, and Everton well on top. How they were still behind was a mystery. Cresswell kicked away from under the bar when Matthews was allowed to centre, though well offside. Final Stoke 3 Everton 2



November 17, 1934. Evening Express Football Edition.

About 10,000 spectators were present at Deepdale to see Preston N.E, and Everton fight out the semi-final of the Lancashire Senior Cup. Everton had a narrow escape when Fitton raced Deighton to the ball as it was going out of play near the goal. The outside-left sent the ball trickling across the goal but none of the Preston forwards could get their foot to it, and Clark cleared. Stein got in two good centres, and the Preston defence had to be alert to clear the danger on each occasion. A smashing shot from Leyfield struck the side-net. Everton went ahead after 27 minutes, when A. Dickinson headed in from Stein's centre. Webster forced John to make a great save following pressure by North End. Everton broke away and Dickinson scored brilliantly with a rising shot, which John presumably thought was going over. Half-time Preston N.E. 0 Everton 2. North End knocked some of their deficit off through Fitton who beat Deighton following a pass from Dougale.


STOKE CITY 3 EVERTON 2 (Game 1493 over-all)-(Div 1 1451)

November 19, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury.

How Stoke Won.

Everton Revive Too Late.

Mistakes Lead to Goals.

By “Bee,”

Everton lost to Stoke by 3-2. It was a match that created much enthusiasm because the finish was so exciting, but calm reflection reminds one of the superiority of Stoke in the first half, and even when Everton performed their revivalist act in the second half one cannot get out of the mind the sight of Cresswell saving two goals. Cresswell is there for that purpose, is the pet argument, but it tends to show the distress to which the Everton defence was reduced on occasions and in the end I made the verdict a just one. It could have been so different if there had been two important pointers in the second half. First Coulter had a square pass from Dean, and went his right hand way into goal, but Lewis made a fortunate save. Coulter placed the ball, and Lewis managed to get his hands to it. Then there was a time when Stevenson drifted to the right flank, and shot in perfectly. This was the best save Lewis made. Contrariwise there were occasions when Sagar flashed out to save, and did not connect with the ball. If either of the Everton left wing efforts had scored Stoke would probably have sunk very low. As it was there were harassed into bad positioning and had play in the whole of the second half. It is natural that when one side is overpowering in its attackers their half backs and backs go up the field to push home the attacks and one kick away means breakaway attacks by the other side. It was so now.

Dean's Strong Effort.

Stoke hardly had a moment's peace for their defence in the second half yet there were breakaways when the Everton goal was in grave danger, and it was then Cresswell came to the aid; The opening goal was Dean's through a strong effort and a fine shot after Cunliffe had made the opening by a gliding header. Such an early lead should have been sufficient to shook Stoke, but it acted otherwise as they scored two more in three minutes. Johnson, the young outside left headed through from a corner kick –it is estimated that one corner in thirty, three is successful. This was one of the thirty-four! Next Sagar failed to pick up when escaping an on rush by the Stoke forwards, and the goal was scored by Davies, Thompson trying to stop the flight of the ball to the back of the net deliberately handling. Sagar raced to the middle of the field to contest the goal. Forgetting the powers of the referee regarding a penalty case when the ball has passe don to its rightful place. Of course, the goal stood good, and Stoke took the lead. One of their men struck a post and Stoke during the first half were the quicker, the more sensible and the more balanced in their movements, especially on the right and at half-backs; where there had been a slow start on the Everton part. The second half was the complete change. Everton began to move off by concerted movement forwards were helped by half-backs and backs. Attack followed attack.

Coulter's Innings.

Stoke escaped luckily when the most penetrating forward Coulter, had his best innings. It seemed Stoke could not last out such a battery, but the fortune of war was theirs, and theirs, and when Cresswell tried a header he merely turned the ball behind his body and there was a race between Salt and the goalkeeper. Sale won and his effort brought an easy goal to Johnson. It was a definite turn round and had not seemed possible. All credit must be given the losing side for their finale. They would not accept defeat and it was no more than they deserved when Stevenson score close in. Fifteen minutes left Stoke worm out through Everton's best scheming effort; Coulter missed a sitter. Sale followed him in a similar blank period with only the goalkeeper to master; the light failed; some tempers frayed and the crowd booed both Cresswell and Coulter the former for standing up the fast running Johnson who ran straight into the defender, and Coulter for something that happened in the goal area and ended with Coulter flinging a leg in a dangerous manner.

Touch and Go.

It was touch and go to the bitter end, and the crowd of 25,000 got very excited over what was a thrilling but never a tip-top game. Stoke held out to the end and perhaps just deserved their margin. However they had a fearsome time all the second half and at least two of their goals were in the nature of gifts. Still, they counted and I think it best to take the verdict as it stands and award Stoke the palm for “Staying on” to win. Everton's Cook was the best back on the field. The half-backs like the forwards ran into their best game only when the second half was in progress and then met sturdy men like Turner, McGrory, Spencer, and Tutin. The home forwards were not impressive. They had their moments, but there was a lack of balance among them and not sufficient cohesive work to make them all-successful. Of their keen endeavor there could never by any doubt. . Stoke City: - Lewis, goal; McGrory and Spencer, backs; Spencer Tutin, and Sellars, half-backs; Matthews, Liddle, Sale, Davies and Johnson, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain) Stevenson and Coulter, forwards. Referee Mr. Mr. H. N. Mee, (Mansfield).



November 19 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton In County Cup Final

Preston North End Beaten at Deepdale.

Everton re the only Central league side who have scored against North End at Preston, and on Saturday they stopped a run of five victories by winning the Lancashire Cup semi-final 4-1. Dickinson gave Everton an interval lead of 2 goals, and after, Fitton had replied. Leyfield and Williams (Free kick) again beat the international John. It was a bad shock to a strong North End team containing eleven players who were fairly recently in the first eleven. They were unrecognisable, as the side who have drawn an average of 7,000 to Deepdale lately by they clever and effective football. Practically all had a bad day and the defence was weak against a forward who controlled and used a lively ball much better and had the backs a flutter every time they raided. Leyfield and Stein were fast and dangerous. Dunn schemed smoothly. Dickinson's dash had bite and behind a useful half-back line in which Clark stood out Williams was a powerful defender. Intelligence was the secret of Everton's surprise win. They spotted the gaps in defence exploited them quickly, and cut up North End's mistaken close-passing game. Everton: - Deighton, goal; Williams and Jones backs; Mercer, Clark (captain) and Archer, half-backs; Leyfield, Dunn, Dickinson, Webster and Stein, forwards.

Everton “A” 2 Earlestown White Star 2

George Mahon Cup –First Round.

Brillaint defensive work by Earlestown enlaced them to hold Everton to a draw at Goodison Park. The game was contested at a fast pace, and if the first half revealed this balance of attack evenly distributed, the after interval play was much in Everton's favour. A penalty goal from Watson gave Everton an early lead but Constantine soon levelled the scores. Each side then allowed scoring chances to slip away, and they were fortunate defenders to be only debited with one goal at the interval. The scheming and construction work of Hannon and Bentham was instrumental in enabling Everton to get on top in the second half, and although the former gave Everton the lead, Constantine again equalised. Despite persistent Everton pressure to the end, the Earlestown defenders –particularly Mercer in goal –foiled them.



November 19 1934. Evening Express.

Everton's Defensive Faults

By the Pilot.

Everton's one fault in their Football League team is in defence. Too many goals are being conceded at the moment, and it is jeoparding the Blues' chances of securing championship honours. The fault lies not so much in individual failings as in understanding and collaboration, which means good covering. Only three clubs in 15 matches have failed to penetrate the Everton defence and in the last nine matches the goals against column reads; Huddersfield (2), Wolves (4), Chelsea (2), Aston Villa (2), Leeds United (2), West Bromwich A. (o), Arsenal (2), Portsmouth (2), Stoke City (3). That makes a total of 19 goals in nine matches. The forwards have been playing well and in only three matches have they failed to score. In the nine games referred to they have scored 20 goals.

Quick Tackling Needed.

There is too great an inclination by the defence to delay the tackle on occasions and this has he effect of allowing attacking forwards to move close to goal before making their finals passes. This happened at Stoke on Saturday, when Everton were unfortunate to lose. The forwards dominated the game throughout the second half, but the damage had been done earlier on. How Stoke withstood the onslaught of the Blues however must ever remain a mystery. It is my conviction that Everton have a real championship chance –few clubs will leave Stoke with anything tangible in the way of points –but a tightening up in defence is essential. I though Gee and Cresswell, in particular held off rather too much against Stoke. Gee did not settle to his right game until after the first half-an-hour.

Stoke's Great Defence.

As far as constructive football went Everton were brilliant. Against a defence less able than that of Stoke they would have had a crop of goals. Stoke owed their success primarily to Lewis, a keen goalkeeper, Turner, Tutin and Sellars. Coulter was the outstanding Evertonian in a game, which roused the 29,000 spectators to tremendous enthusiasm. His footwork and quick centring were features, yet he missed a “sitter” when the sides stood 3-2. How he failed to beat Lewis when out on his own was remarkable. Stevenson also played well and Dean was a thoughtful leader and ever a menace. Cunliffe has played better when challenging for possession more. Geldard was not served as well as Coulter, but revealed pace and skill. Britton was the pick of the intermediates and Cook outstanding in defence. He was the best back on the field. Dean scored for Everton in four minutes and Stevenson reduced the lead in the second half. Liddle and Johnson (2) scored for Stoke.



November 21 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

Everton side remains unchanged for their match with Manchester City at Goodison Park the side being: - Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunlifgfe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. The Reserve side to meet Stoke City, at Stoke will be: - Deighton; Williams, Jackson; Mercer, Clark, Archer; Leyfield, Bentham, Dickinson, Webster, Stein.



November 23 1934. Evening Express.

To Save Home Record Against Cup Holders.

By the Pilot.

Manchester City, holders of the F.A. Cup, will make an attempt tomorrow to be the first team to take a point from Goodison Park this Season. Everton are the only club in the First Division with a 100 per cent, home record. There is only one other club in the Football league with that honour –Tranmere Rovers. So far Everton have defeated Leicetser City, Preston North End, Liverpool, Huddersfield, Chelsea, West Bromwich Albion, and Portsmouth. Only one of these clubs are placed in the first ten in the League. Three are located in the four-bottom position. The City represent the first of the top notched for the Cupholders are placed fifth in the League –one place higher than Everton. Both clubs have played 15 matches and secured 17 points, but the City posses the better goal-average. In away matches the City have gained seven points out of 16 as a result of three wins and a draw. Undoubtedly this match represents Everton's hardest home battle of the campaign to date, but if there is better covering in defence, I think they will record their eight win of the season. The City began the season in brilliant fashion and early on took over the leadership of the division. Since them, however, success had not been so frequent and the directors have made experiments. Such forward stalwarts as herd and Marshall will be missed, but interest will centre in the appearance of Heale, the young Bristol boy who nearly became an Everton player last season. Heale will figure at inside-left and Mcluckie the Scottish international utility player, will be at inside-right. The danger man of the side is Eric Brook, the English outside-left and he will demand alertness on the Everton right. Everton: - Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. Manchester City:- Swift; Dale, Barkas; Busby, Cowan, Bray; Toseland, McLuckie, Tilson, Heale, Brook.

• Advertisement in Evening Express. League Match at Goodison Park Tomorrow (sat) Everton v. Manchester City. Kick-off 2.30. Admission 1/- Boys 4d, stands extra including tax. Booked Seats Sharp's Whitechapel.


November 24, 1934. The Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette

Bradshaw, the young goalkeeper of New Brighton and formerly the amateur goalkeeper of Southport was transferred last night to Everton. Everton went after Jackson, of Chelsea, but that player wouldn't leave.


November 24 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Everton's New Goalkeeper.

New Brighton Transfer Bradshaw.

New Brighton FC, on the eve of their cup-tie with Southport, has been transferred to Everton, their goalkeeper G.F Bradshaw, who has earned an excellent reputation in the Northern Section and is one of the youngest goalkeepers in the league. Bradshaw has gained a lot of experience since joining New Brighton as an amateur from Southport Park Villa and as he is now only twenty, he had ample scope for further development with Everton. He stands 5ft 9inches and weights 10stone 6 pounds. He signed professional terms for New Brighton in 1933, and during that season he displayed his skill in saving shots from Everton forwards in the Benefit game so that the Everton directors had previous knowledge of his skills. Ever since he played for church town school Bradshaw has been marked out for progress in the game, and his anticipation, judgement and sure handling, at present must give him a good start in his new sphere. The transfer will occasion some surprise in Wallsay, where Bradshaw has proved one of the most consistent players on the rake lane club's books. Bradshaw's display have attracted the attention of other league clubs, his place in the new bright cup team at Southport to-day will be taken by Carr formerly of Sheffield Wednesday and Preston North End. Bradshaw is the fourth professional goalkeeper in the Everton's books the others being Sager, King and Deighton.



November 24 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

In the First Division of the League one of the best matches of the day is likely to be seen at Goodison Park where Manchester City and Everton meet again to contest what I expect will be a stirring duel for supremacy. The conditions are sure to teat the stamina of the teams strong in all departments, to the full, but Everton should maintain their unbeaten home record, though one looks for a close margin. The kick off is at 2.30 and the teams are. Everton: - Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, Gee Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. Manchester City:- Swift; Dale, Barkas; Busby, Cowan, Bray; Toseland, McLuckie, Tilson, Heale, Brook.

• Manchester United are speculating on their chances of persuading Everton to part with Charlie Leyfield.

• Blackpool would like to get down to a round table talk with Everton concerning Arthur, the Goodison Park reserve wing half.

• When Wrexham took Fryer the young utility player from Everton, the Goodison Park officials told them he was a “player of the future.” These words look like being borne out, for now Fryer has earned his place in the Welshmen's first team and is playing fine football at inside-right.


EVERTON 1 MANCHESTER CITY 2 (Game 1494 over-all)-(Div 1 1452)

November 26 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Tilson's Snap Goal.

How Everton Lost Home Record.

Clever Play But Chances Missed.

By “Stork.”

Everton home record has gone by the board, Manchester city, who have a habit of pulling off their best against the Merseyside teams, brought an end to Everton's run of home successes. It was a fine game and I though Manchester City fortunate to leave with the full points, as on the balance of play Everton had been masters. They practically dominated the second half in point of attack, but they were not as dangerous as City when the goal loomed up before them. It was a snap goal by Tilson which gained them the victory, but when one recalls that Manchester City should have had four goals in the opening half, it has to be admitted that they were entitled to a deal of praise for holding Everton down on a ground that has been a “graveyard” of visiting teams. The score was 2-1 in favour of the Citizens; it might have been 6-4 for Everton also went astray when excellent scoring opportunities came their way. In the first five minutes Dean missed with a header which ninety-nine times out of a hundred would have been turned into a goal, but the worst miss of the match was made by Brook. He was standing two yards out of goal when Tilson offered him the ball, he acted wildly and his shot went spinning over the crossbar. How did he get it over was the question asked, for it was easier to drive it into the net. It was a tragic miss and Tilson should have scored when he worked his way through the Everton defence and then tamely shot at Sagar. The 40,000 people were enjoying a football neat –a meeting of two teams who played splendid football. It was a case of a master meeting master, with Everton producing more cleverness as a counter to Manchester's more direct, yet equally effective football.

How City Took the Lead.

At twenty-two minutes the City obtained the opening goal, scored through Heale. It was a needless free kick which gee gave away to produce a goal. Brook sent the ball into the goal mouth; it was turned out by someone and went to Heale. He sent it hovering towards the Everton goal, and although Thomson tried his hardest to head the ball away it dropped under the bar and into the back of the net. For some minutes after that the City were rampant, and the Everton defence severely tested came through the ordeal with praise. It looked as though Manchester would hold an interval lead but a clever pass by Stevenson to Coulter brought an equaliser. Coulter was out on his own. The goalkeeper came out to anticipation of the ball being centred, but Coulter cutely lobbed the ball behind him and into the empty net. It was a brilliantly conceived goal and if Coulter intended to do what he did then he must be given top mark, for only a thinking footballer would have thought of such a plan to beat a goalkeeper who previously had delectably with centres from the wing. The game was all square again, yet I thought Everton were fortunate not to be in arrears. In the second half the City lost their appeal as a first class side through the introduction of shady tactics. They gave away more fouls during the next half hour than I have ever seem them do before. They had been clever enough in the first half to hold Everton at bay without employing questionable methods, but no doubt they became afraid of Everton, who dominated the play for twenty-five or thirty minutes, and were hammering the City defence incessantly. Stevenson was badly fouled, so much so that the Irishman was about to retaliate; then Geldard came under Cowan's spell and the referee saw cause and justification for a warming and the crowd did not forget to let the City captain knew that he had got into its bad books. It was not a nice spectacle and tended to rob the game of its previous high-class note. Still Everton continued to be masters of the attack, without, however, giving Swift a great ideal to do. Rarely did the City move out of their own half, and it was all against the run of the play when a stray ball round its way to Brook just over the half-way line.

Tilson's Decider.

Brook had been uncommonly subdued, but this time he pushed the ball forward, then turned it over to Tilson and before one could bat an eyelid the Manchester leader, shot the ball into the net. That goal came ten minutes from the end, but try how they would, and they put everything they knew. Everton could not produce the gaol to save their home record. There was a curious incident when Coulter was waved on by the referee, but misunderstood the signal, for he stopped playing picked up the ball, and was instantly mulcted in a foul for handling. Cowan saved a certain goal when swift was beaten, and Barkas, who was staggering about the field undoubtedly suffering from a slight attack of concussion, had to be led off the field. He was not in his right senses, and was finally dragged away by his trainer. Barkas had been one of the best defenders on the field. He used the ball refraining the hefty clearance, which usually find sits way back almost immediately. The City were not so good as when they met Liverpool either at Maine-road or Anfield, but I cannot understand their fall away in recent weeks. There is great ability in the team. Bushby had to play second fiddle to Britton. Stevenson and Coulter had their greatest test as a wing and came out of it with flying colours. There was not the slavery one for the other that has been there in recent weeks, for Stevenson gave Geldard some great passes. Dean had little chance with three men. At his shoulders almost throughout the game. However, let me end my story by saving “a great game, and a plea for more of a similar kind. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Cresswell and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson, and Coulter, forwards. Manchester City: - Swift goal; Dale and Barkas, backs; Busby, Cowan (captain), Bray, Toseland, McLuckie, Tilson, Heale, and Brooks, forwards. Referee Mr. S. Boardman, Hale, Cheshire.



November 26 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

Central league (Game 15)

Stoke were rather flattered by the score at Stoke, for the visitors could not be described as being humbled. Everton provided the football, but Stoke got the goals. Stoke were a goal down in three minutes through Dunn, but Robson reversed matters by scoring two goals before the interval. Dickinson then reduced the arrears, but when Everton were fighting hard for an equaliser Steele scored a breakaway goal for Stoke. Everton: - Deighton goal; Williams and Jackson backs; Mercer, Clark (captain) and Archer half-backs; Leyfield, Dunn, Dickinson, Webster and Stein forwards.



November 26, 1934. Evening Express.

Why Everton Lost Their Home Record.

By the Watcher.

Manchester City like elephants never forget! Eighteen months ago they were defeated by Everton in an F.A. Cup Final, and now their honour is satisfactory result and one over which no Manchester supporter could have cavilled. But in football the points go to the side that gets the goals and not the side that does the major part of the attacking. In one of the finest games seen on Merseyside for many a day, Everton were a little fortunate to be on terms of equality at the interval, for during the first half the City forwards had ignored several good scoring chances. But it was all Everton in the second half-that is, with the exception of three breakaways from one of which the City obtained the goal that settled the issue in their favour. Everton's greatest mistake was adopting close passing when facing the rugged defences provided by Dale and Barkas.

Open Game Pays.

Whenever the City went down it usually was by long raking passes of the type which spread-eagled the defence and thus left the Everton goal more or less at the mercy of the inside men. It was not a particularly happy day for dean. He found it hard to get going, usually being surrounded by two or three City men, whenever the ball came his way. The others certainly tried all they knew to pierce the City's last line of defence but few of their shots had behind them the sting that Dean put into the ones he managed to make. Stevenson and Coulter were Everton's best wing, but little was seen of Geldard until the closing stages. The halves got through a tremendous amount of work, Britton being the outstanding member of the trio. He not only plied his forward well, but also proved of great assistance to the defence, which throughout the game was sound. Heale in 16 minutes gave the City the lead, a score which Coulter neutralised a minute before the interval. Tilson got the City's second and final goal after 70 minutes.



November 27, 1934. Liverpool Post and Mercury

By John Peel.

The Everton team to travel to Middlesbrough next Saturday shows one change from the side which lost to Manchester City. This is at right full-back, where Williams returns after a long absence through injury in place of Cresswell. The team is: - Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. The Reserves eleven to meet Birmingham in a Central league game at Goodison Park will include Bradshaw the new goalkeeper from New Brighton. The team is: - Bradshaw; Jackson, Jones; Mercer, White Archer; Leyfield, Dunn, Dickinson, Webster, Stein.

• The Austrian footballers who play Liverpool tomorrow at Anfield arrived in Liverpool last night, and were welcomed by the chairman of the Liverpool club Mr. W. Cartwright, amongst the party who wished them luck in their matches were directors Sharp and Green of the Everton Club. “Twenty-eight” years ago “Said Mr. Herr Lang, on being introduced to Mr. J. Sharp “I fixed up a match on the Continent between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur and a great match it was.



November 27, 1934. Evening Express.

First Senior Game of Season.

Everton Team Change.

By the Pilot.

Ben Williams, Everton's Welsh international full back, will make his first appearance of the season in the Football League team on Saturday. Williams takes the place of Cresswell at right back against Middlesbrough at Ayresome Park Middlesbrough Cresswell has played in all matches, so far this term and in view of the heavy programme ahead of the team the directors believe that it is advisable to give Cresswell a rest. That policy may be pursued with the utmost confidence, for in Williams Everton possess one of the greatest backs in the game. Williams came from Swansea Town and set up a partnership with Cresswell, which was described as ideal. When playing against Wolverhampton Wanderers during the Christmas of 1932 he had the misfortune to damage a knee, and subsequently underwent an operation for cartilage trouble. In the meantime Billy Cook had been secured from Glasgow Celtic, and since then Williams has had only occasional runs in the first team. Last season he made 18 appearances. It may be that Williams will have the honour of participating in Everton's first away win of the season. Up to now the Blues have made eight journeys and have brought home only three points from drawn games. Middlesbrough, however, have won only one match at Ayresome Park this season, so the Blues have a great opportunity. The inclusion of Williams is the only Everton change as compared with the team that lost to Manchester City. Everton; Sagar; Williams, Cook; Britton, Gee Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. The Central League side will entertain Birmingham at Goodison Park on Saturday and this will mark the Everton debut of Bradshaw the new goalkeeper from New Brighton. Everton Reserves; Bradshaw; Jackson, Jones; Mercer, White, Archer; Leyfield, Dunn, Dickinson, Webster, Stein.



November 1934