Everton Independent Research Data


November 1, 1939. The Evening Express.
To Start On Nov 18, Or Earlier.
Coupons In Press Advertisements.
Football Pools will be here again for matches played on November 18, announced today by the Football pool’s Promoters Association. Mr. E. Holland, secretary of the Association stated today that a modified scheme had been considered by the Government for the past fortnight. “I am now happy to say that I have heard from the Postmaster General that the scheme overcomes the Government’s previous objection,” no said. The scheme provides for one unified pool and coupons will be issued as Press advertisement, so that the Post Office will not be called upon to distribute them. No propaganda or coupons will be dispatched to clubs. A number of regional offices will be opened in the larger towns, to which the newspapers coupons will be posted. Members of the Association propose that in operating the scheme they will be able to ensure that some of the many war charities will receive substantial benefit from ‘their effort. The reintroduction of the pools should stimulate interest in the English and Scottish regional competition, writes a Press Association football correspondent. During the few weeks that these war-time tournaments have been in existence the insurance of support given by the public has been disappointing except in isolated cases and the pools will doubtless act as a tulip towards increased attendances.

November 2, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
According to a Burnley friend there is considerable disappointment in the East Lancashire town that Everton’s visit there on Saturday will not give the home folk and their chance of seeing Tommy Lawton, owning to his inclusion in the international game at Goodison. When the cup draw was made the Burnley folk were looking forward to seeing him on his old “nursery,” particularly as four players who learned their junior football in the same school as he will be in the Turf Moor side. Burnley’s team will not be definitely selected until tomorrow. Bray, the left half is in the Army but hopes to get leave, while Robinson is on auxiliary duty at Bury Fire Station, now plays with Bury. Woodruff is expected to be fit again. He has not played since the friendly match at Everton, when he had his ribs damaged. The probable team is: - Adams; Marshall, Mather; Martindale, Woodruff, Bray; Taylor, Gardiner, Knight, Hornby. This shows only one change from the side which figured in the friendly game against Everton at Goodison Park three weeks ago. Taylor coming in at outside right in place of Hayes. On that occasion Everton won easily 4-0.
Two More Cars Needed.
Mr. Theo Kelly tells me that the response to the appeal for private motorists to transport the Cheshire Lines Bands from Central Station to Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon has been very good, but he could still do with two more cars. The band are giving the services free for the Red Cross match. Motorists who are prepared to come to my rescue are asked to ring up Mr. Kelly (Walton 63) as soon as possible.

November 3, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
The absence of Tommy Lawton from the Burnley-Everton game will rob it of some of its interest, for it was at Turf Moor that Lawton made his name, and naturally the Burnley people would have liked to see him against his old team. However, they will see a strong Everton team, for the Goodison Park club is well blessed with reserve men. But whether it can acclaim for Burnley is another matter. There are several fine players in the Burnley side, including Gardiner (Aston Villa), Knight, the most promising inside forward I have seen for a long time and some others. In the friendly game at Goodison Park, Burnley were beaten 4-0, but for all that they produced some smart football and were unlucky not to score a goal or two. With such players as Gillick and Lawton and Jones absent from the side, Everton are handicapped, but the deputies Sharpe or Davies, bell and Gee, will keep the flag flying high. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Gee, Watson; Sharpe, or Davies, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes. Burnley; - Adams; Marshall, Mather; Martindale, Woodruff, Bray; Taylor, Gardiner, Brocklebank, Knight, Horby.

November 4, 1939. The Evening Express.
Twice In The Lead
Everton, owing to international calls, had to make three changes for their Lancashire Senior cup-tie at Burnley, today. The most notable absentee from the spectators point of view was Lawton, who was a Burnley discovery. Burnley: - Adams, goal; Marshall and Mather, backs; Martindale, Woodruff, and Bray, half-backs; Taylor, Gardiner (Aston Villa), Brocklebank, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Gee and Watson, half-backs; Davies, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Everton were the first to attack, but twice Mather drove them back. When Burnley made their first raid, Taylor centred for Brocklebank to head over Gee to Knight, who tapped the ball into goal, giving Burnley the lead in the first minute. Everton’s move, initiated by Bell, led to Davies shooting wide. The visitors continued to attack, but Bentham sent wide. Everton’s attack was smart in movement but finished weak. After 12 minutes, Everton equalised in fortunate manner. The ball had been lobbed up the field, and Davies had dashed into midfield to meet it. Mather jumped up and headed it, but Adams, the home goalkeeper, had left his goal, and the ball travelled over the Burnley goal-line. Everton were having the better of the play, and they showed some fine football. After 25 minutes Burnley went further ahead, Hornby’s clever 30-yards’ dribble and centre led to Taylor shooting in. Sagar was at the end of goal, and the ball would have gone in, but Greenhalgh raced up and in trying to clear, he could only drive the ball into the top of the net, making sure of Burnley’s goal. Bell and Brocklebank missed chances. It was delightful football by both sides.
Half-Time –Burnley 2, Everton 1.

November 4, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
Mather and Greenhalgh At Burnley
By Stork.
Burnley: - Adams, goal; Marshall and Mather, backs; Martindale, Woodruff, and Bray, half-backs; Taylor, Gardiner (Aston Villa), Brocklebank, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Gee and Watson, half-backs; Davies, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. There was a very poor attendance at Burnley to see the Lancashire Senior Cup tie with Everton. Tommy Lawton was not in the Everton team. Burnley took a goal inside a minute, Knight beating Sagar after Brocklebank had made the opening. Everton took the next goal in rather uncommon fashion, Greenhalgh pushed the ball up the middle when Davies had run into position in front of goal. Gee and Mather went up to the ball together, the full back just getting his head there first, but unfortunately his goalkeeper, Adams had rushed out of goal, and was unable to get back to stop the ball from trickling to the back of the net. The football was quite good, both sides producing clever movement. Gardiner in particularly being prominent. In 15 minutes Burnley scored again after smart play by Knight, Hornby and Taylor. When the last named shot Greenhalgh was standing on the goal-line. He tried to kick the ball out but only sent it hurling to the top of the net. Goal No 2. Boyes and Bell both went close, but there was no denying that Burnley were the more dangerous side. Everton made many promising attacks, and Boyes and Bell both hit the goalkeeper with shots.
Half-Time; Burnley 2, Everton 1.

November 6, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Burnley 2, Everton 3
Lancashire Senior Cup.
Everton Win County Cup-Tie At Burnley.
By Stork. The Lancashire Cup-tie between Burnley and Everton provided one of the best war time games I have seen, and that was the unanimous verdict of the small company of people who saw it. Everton won 3-2 after a display of football worthy of an F.A. Cup final. Had there been a peace-time bonus at the end of the game it could not possibly have produced better-class play or more endeavour. Burnley got off with a flying start when Knight scored in the first minute and they were playing with such skill and enthusiasm that it appeared they were booked for a convincing win, for no one could deny that they were a superior to Everton. When Mather the Burnley half-back in the anxiety to hold up Davies headed the ball towards his own goal he found that Adams his goalkeeper had rushed out, and the misunderstanding proved fatal, for the ball slowly went to the back of the net. Excellent movement were shown to each side, and from one of these Burnley scored a second goal. Greenhalgh tired to kick the ball from Taylor’s shot of the line, but the ball swirled into the net. Everton’s defence for a time had some hot work to do. But it was Everton who did the remainder of the scoring. Boyes fastening on to a ball, which had been worked down by neat passing to score close in. All square and with the prospects of extra time, both teams were on their toes. Everton came along with a third goal, scored by ell from Davies’s corner kick. Had it not been for Everton’s captain, Sagar, Burnley would have won through, for Sagar made two great saves in the last minute to keep his team in the competition. These two saves will be talked of in Burnley for many weeks. They were the two best I have seen. The attendance was disappointing there being only 2,600 people there paying £124. . Burnley: - Adams, goal; Marshall and Mather, backs; Martindale, Woodruff, and Bray, half-backs; Taylor, Gardiner (Aston Villa), Brocklebank, Knight, and Hornby, forwards. Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Gee and Watson, half-backs; Davies, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. R. S. Warr, of Bolton.
• All-British v Football League draw 3-3 at Goodison Park, in front of 15,000 spectators. TG, Jones scored from a penalty for All-Britain, Tom Lawton played for Football league, and Mercer and TG Jones for All-British X1.
• Mercer and Lawton have been selected to play for England against Wales at Wrexham on November 15.

November 6, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
“The best match seen at Turf Moor for years.” This was the freely given opinion about the Lancs Senior Cup match at Burnley with Everton. It certainly was brimful of entertaining and skilful football, and ought to have had interest for more than the 2,621 spectators present. “Burnley plays better the cleverer the opposition” was an old phrase once more borne out, and they were decidedly unlucky to lose. Class certainly told in the end, but Everton had the real luck that was going and infinitely more decisive was the superb judgement of Sagar. He certainly saved his save from defeat, and doubtless his cleverness gave the rest of the team the extra confidence to go on and win.

November 6, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
An excellent game sirs. Quite the best of the war-time series thus far so far as Everton are concerned. There was everything in this Lancashire cup-tie attractive football “zip” and five goals and all it needed to put a seal on it was a big crowd –there were only 2,000 odd people there. I have seen poorer football in the Wembley final, and don’t forget there was no bonus at the end of it. Had there been a £10 note for each man of the winning team, it could not have brought anything better than we saw at Turf Moor. It was football of top class with Burnley the more attractive side the more progressive side, and the side more deserving of winning. They must blame Sagar for their knock-out.
Smart Youngsters.
Burnley have some smart youngsters in their side; youngsters full of promise and skill. Hornby, Knight and Taylor were clever forwards with the matured Gardiner delivering the ball to them on a plate. Gardiner is a revelation as an inside forward. He always looked a good footballer to me, even in his “arms and legs” days with Liverpool. There was a lot of disappointment at the absence of their own Tommy Lawton, whose schoolmaster was there to see the game. He is one of Burnley’s best scouts, for quite a number of their “junior members” are his recommends. Mr. Tom Clegg, the Burnley chairman told me that Tommy’s absence meant a loss of about £150 to the gate. And how Burnley could do with every penny. Everton will play Blackburn Rovers in the second round of the Lancashire Cup at Ewood Park on December 16. The by Jones –and was nearly always dead on the mark. Martin in short made a most auspicious debut in international circles.

November 7, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Mercer, Gillick and Lawton return to Everton’s team against Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday. This is Mercer’s first League team appearance since he joined the Army Physical Training staff. With Jones playing for Wales, Gee continues at centre half the team being; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Gee, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.


November 9, 1939. Sheffield Daily Telegraph

The funeral took place at Leigh, Lancashire, yesterday of Dick Williams, the former Everton footballer, who kept goal against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 1893 Cup final at fallowfield, when the Wolves won by scoring the only goal. Leaving Everton Williams went to Luton and later helped Glossop to win their way back to the First division of the League. Dick Williams was 73 years of age.

November 10, 1939. Evening Express.
For the second week in succession, Goodison Park stages an all-star affair –the match which in my opinion is the best of the Regional bill of fare this week. This is a clash between the Football League champions Everton and Manchester City, their F.A. Cup Final rivals of 1933. There will be 15 internationals on view in this game, which for classic constructive football should be a spectacle well worth witnessing. Everton claim nine of the internationals, Manchester City are bringing along six in the person of Swift, Barkas, Bray. Herds, Doherty and Brook. The City are the only side in the Western area with a 100 per cent record. Goodison Park then won at New Brighton by the only goal.
Everton: - Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Gee, Mercer; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Manchester City: - Swift; Clark, Barkas; Percival, Cardwell, Bray, Pritchard, Herd, Heale, Doherty, Brook.

November 10, 1939, The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
Manchester City’s visit to Goodison Park tomorrow will bring back many memories, for the Mancunians have done some astonishing things at Walton. The most outstanding performance was their 6-2 defeat of Everton, after they had rushed up to the ground, stripping en route. Tommy Johnson was the hero that day for he scored five goals with that trusty left foot of his. His game that day set Everton on his track and he soon left Maine Road for Goodison Park. There is no Johnson in the City forward line these days, but in Doherty they have an inside forward the equal of any in the country while that ever great Eric Brook is still a match-winning winger. The City are joint leaders of the section and will be out to consolidate their position. Everton were some time in striking their form at Burnley, where I saw the best war-time game of the season and with their regulars back in the side they will give the City defences plenty to think about. Joe Mercer’s return will be welcome although Lindley’s displays have been of top class. Here is a fine game which promises well.
Everton: - Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Gee, Mercer; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Manchester City: - Swift; Clark, Barkas; Percival, Cardwell, Bray, Pritchard, Herd, Heale, Doherty, Brook.

November 11, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Mercer, the English international, figured in his first Regional game with Everton the champions opposed Manchester City at Goodison Park. Toseland, Sheffield Wednesday’s winger, came into the City team at outside-right, and so returned to his former love. Everton: - Sagar, (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Gee and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Manchester City: - Swift, goal; Clark, and Barkas, backs; Percival, Cardwell, and Bray, half-backs; Toseland (Sheffield Wednesday), Herd, Heale, Doherty and Brook, forwards. Referee –Mr. J. Brown. About 3,000 spectators saw Everton almost take the lead following brilliant work by Mercer who moved forward quickly and placed through to Lawton. Just as Lawton was in the act of shooting, Barkas made a brilliant tackle, and when Everton came again, Gillick was too slow in moving back from an offside position, and so the City got a free kick which led to their opening goal in four minutes. Swift placed direct to Heale, who went forward on his own and scored with a perfectly-directed right-foot shot taken on the half-volley. Heale’s speed on taking command of the ball enabled him to clinch a shock effort so far as Everton were concerned. This was grand football. The ball was always on the floor, and movements were carried out with remarkable skill and precision. Sagar was kept busy by Heale, and Herd, before Gillick calved out the perfect opening for Boyes who, faced only by Swift, delayed his shot and was robbed.
The Equaliser.
Everton equalised in 12 minutes, following grand work by Gilliclk, who was playing inspired football Gillick edged the ball forward, and Bentham hit it to the far corner of the net with a grand right-foot shot as he fell. Lawton should have given Everton the lead when Stevenson put him through, but he was slow in getting the ball under control. Lawton and Stevenson, went through with machine-like precision, but Lawton’s shot flashed wide. Then from Brook’s corner, Heale headed in by the near post and with Sagar beaten Jackson headed out from the goal-line. Stevenson got through when the City waited for an offside decision, but his shot went over the top.
• Ex-Evertonian Dickinson played for Chester.

November 11, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Ranger.
So far Liverpool and Everton have been fortunate in being able to turn out a strong team each week from their own staff. How long that will continue nobody can say, but I have it on good authority from officials of both clubs, that if and when conditions make it impossible for them to field their usual first-team professionals, they will give the younger end of their staff, if necessary the amateur, an opportunity of winning their spurs, rather than seek to introduce the “guest artist” idea which has been adopted by so many clubs. This is a much fairer methods. As I indicated once before more than a little heartburning has been caused in some matters by the almost unseemly haste with which some clubs have introduced –I almost said touted for –outside players with established reputations. That sort of thing is very discouraging to the lesser known professionals on a club’s books. They feel they are getting a raw deal, and are not being given a fair opportunity, either to prove their worth or earn the thirty shillings which a game would bring them. Last week Liverpool would have had no difficulty, had they felt inclined in getting a goalkeeper of known ability to play in their Lancashire Senior Cup tie. Instead they close to give young Manley the chance to do his stuff, and from all accounts right well did be do it. Apart from the younger professionals, both Everton and Liverpool have about thirty amateurs on their books, so there should be no difficulty in team selection for some time.
I haven’t yet heard whether the ball used in last week’s international at Goodison Park is, after all going to be sold in aid of the Red Cross, as at one time intended but I have learned since that the reason Joe Mercer was so quick to tuck it safety under his arm when the final whistle went is that he had an idea of his own, if it wasn’t required for other purposes to use it to raise funds for providing football gear for soldiers. I wish him success in his efforts. If I can do anything to help it along he has only to let me know.

November 11, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
One Up At Third Minute
Heale’s Opener
Bentham Replies For Everton.
By Stork.
Manchester City usually play grand football at Goodison Park. They should have been a goal behind however, in the first minute today, for Mercer, making his first appearance in Regional football pushed through a perfect pass to Lawton who was slow making up his mind, and the second delay prove fatal. Everton: - Sagar, (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Gee and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Manchester City: - Swift, goal; Clark, and Barkas, backs; Percival, Cardwell, and Bray, half-backs; Toseland (Sheffield Wednesday), Herd, Heale, Doherty and Brook, forwards. Referee –Mr. J. Brown. Then we saw City take a goal through Heale, who picked up a long ball that came from the rear, and slapped it into the net at three minutes, I thought there was a suggestion of offside about the goal, but the referee’s decision is final. Heale was nearly through a second time, and Bray tried his luck with a long one which Sagar pulled down to the ground and then cleared. In the meantime, Stevenson almost worked his way through, but there was no getting away from the City’s smart football. Gillick made a perfect opening for Boyes, but the outside left diddled and dallied until he was finally robbed, when the ball should by all rights have been safely tucked away in the back of the net. Bentham equalised for Everton at 12 minutes through an excellent bit of combination and a nice flick by Gillick. Later Lawton who is prone to do just one thing more, put up a barrier against himself, and at this point Everton were going great guns and the crowd were getting excited over what they were seeing. The Everton goal was lucky not to fall when Heale headed a Brook corner straight for the net, Jackson appearing as through from nowhere to head the ball out. Lawton was on the mark with a big drive and Stevenson shot over after the City had claimed he was offside. Herd, with one of his cannon ball drives brought Sagar full length to save.

November 13, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 3, Manchester City 1
Everton Beat Manchester City.
By Stork.
The best regional game I have seem ended in Everton beating Manchester City 3-1 at Goodison Park. The first half particularly was a football treat and a good crowd acknowledge the fine play. There was more skill than in league games. More like this regional play will demand a following. Manchester City was slightly the better craftsmen for a time, yet they could not shake Everton. Their goal boures an off-side look about it, but Heale took his chance exceedingly well. A lead in three minutes was handy, especially as Lawton missed two easy ones. Bentham, however, came along with a snappy goal, following good combination, so we reached the interval all square. The second half was not quite as good or so fast. A goal late on by Gillick scored with a cross shot, which eluded Swift all the way, turned the game in Everton’s favour, and when Lawton added the third point after he had one disallowed. Everton had won through Lawton’s disallowed point was a good one, but the referee had previously blown for an infringement by the City –a case of the innocent suffering for the guilty. There was an usual incident towards the end of the game. A spectator positioned behind the Glady’s Street goal was struck in the face by the ball kicked by a City half-back and he had to receive attention and he led off the ground, I hear of his teeth were loosened and his face rather swollen. Everton: - Sagar, (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Gee and Watson, half-backs; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Manchester City: - Swift, goal; Clark, and Barkas, backs; Percival, Cardwell, and Bray, half-backs; Toseland (Sheffield Wednesday), Herd, Heale, Doherty and Brook, forwards. Referee –Mr. J. Brown.
• T.G. Jones played for Wales against England at Cardiff, in front of 30,000 spectators, the game ending 1-1
• In March, 1906, at Wrexham, L.R. Roose the amateur, who played for Everton, was replaced in the Welsh goal by D. Davies, of Bolton Wanderers in the match against England.

November 13, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
The play of Torry Gillick, Everton’s Scottish international winger, has been subjected to critism from time to time by spectators. In Everton’s game with Stoke he was barracked and some readers wrote to me about it. Torry himself replied to the critics in great style on Saturday, when Everton beat Manchester City 3-1 after a game full of life and sparkle. Gillick was the outstanding player on the field. His work was brilliant. Those who, two weeks before, had been shouting at him were now shouting for him. The spectators –and there were 7,804 present –looked to Gillick to pull the game around in Everton’s favour when it looked to be running against them. He responded with a leading goal and ended a City period of supremacy. Two finely-equipped sides played great football. Time after time we saw movements in which all five forwards participated. The City were first in the lead with a Heale goal from Swift’s free kick, which brought back memories of Jackie’s Coulter’s goal against derby in a Cup-tie at Goodison Park, but Bentham equalised. In the second half the City took command until Ted Sagar rallied his forces and away went the Blues to win the game with fine goals by Gillick and Lawton.
Par Excellence.
Swift and Sagar showed what brilliant goalkeepers they are. What a fine, sporting action it was on Swift’s part after Sagar had made a super-save off Heale’s header. Swift joined in the applause! I was delighted with the play of George Jackson. He with the whole-hearted aid of Mercer, held up the famous Doherty-Brook wing. It was a game worth going a long way to see, and produced flashes of play as good as anything seen in the Red Cross match. As the Everton directors present –Messrs, Ernest Green, Will Gibbins, and Dickie Williams, and Dr. Cecil Baxter –agreed, we are building up to a grand gala day at Anfield on Saturday week, when Reds entertain the Blues.

November 13, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton and Manchester City almost made us think we were watching the “real thing.” They give a display of top-class football which brought unstinted applause from the 7,804 spectators. There was more football ability shown here than in some sterner League encounters. This Regional scheme has at least given us a better conception of what football should be. The players are pulling out the football which we all said was a lost art. Manchester and Everton proved that given the scope, they could produce the very thing which old timers claimed had vanished from the game. It was chessboard football with punch. The City’s first half exhibition was faultless. They propelled the ball along the ground with guard like precision and it seemed that they would take their accustomed victory. Yet it was Everton who missed their way in the goal-kicking business. Lawton should soon have had two goals, but was slow in his realisation of the pass which was obviously coming. Later he scored a nice goal to augment those of Bentham and Gillick, which had upset the lightning goal by Heale
Highly Commended.
To individualise would be unfair for it would mean that some would be unjustly left out of the highly commended class. All played their part in the best Regional game seen in Liverpool. More like it will soon bring back the lost that have strayed from the fold. I feel that Regional football will eventually become an attraction, especially so where First Division teams meet clubs from the same sphere. There was an unhappy happening. A City player kicked the ball into the crowd behind the goal. His intention no doubt was to slap the ball against the wall so that it would come back on to the field of play (this is often done), but it caught a spectator in the face and injured him. The man had to be attended to, and was led off the ground in a dazed condition.

November 14, 1939, The Evening Express.
By Pilot.
Everton have to make further changes for the visit to Chester on Saturday in the Western Regional competition game owing to international calls. They will be without three of their internationals, who will again be doing their bit for the Red Cross Fund. The absentees will be Joe Mercer, Tom Jones, and Tom Lawton. Fortunately the Blues have plenty of capable reserves, so the match should lose nothing on the point of attractiveness so far as the Sealand-road fans are concerned. Gee continues as deputy for Jones –a role he has filled with a verve befitting an England player –and Lindley comes back to right half for Mercer, bell again deputises for Lawton. The side to face the Cestrians will include six internationals and one interleague player. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Gee, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes.
Chester’s Injured.
Chester probably will include three former Everton players in their team to meet Everton at Sealand-road on Saturday, because several players sustained injuries at Wrexham. Chester will not select their side until tomorrow. Howarth, Butcher, and Dickinson were also hurt, but all are expected to be fit by the week-end. The Everton players who may be included in the team are Leyfield, Dickinson, and Common.

November 14, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Despite the counter-attraction of the International match at Wrexham, there is considerable interest in Chester in the visit of Everton to the stadium on Saturday. There is some doubt about Howarth, Dickinson and Butcher, who all sustained minor injured in last week’s match but it is hoped that they will be fit to play. The team will probably be selected tomorrow. Everton will be without Mercer, Lawton and Jones for this match, the three being engaged in the international. The team reads: - . Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Gee, Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes.
I am glad to hear that Billy Cook, who went down South a month ago to quality for the Army Physical Training Staff, has now “passed out” and has been drafted to a unit to take up his real duties. Unfortunately for Everton, however, he is going to a far part of Wales which makes further appearances for them impossible.

Liverpool Daily Post -Thursday 16 November 1939
Torrence Gillick, Everton's Scottish international winger was burned last evening when a garage at his home in Alt Way, Aintree, caught fire.  he is in Walton Hospital with fairly extensive burns to his arms, but is in no danger.  The garage was gutted and Gillick's car, which he was endeavouring to save, was burnt out.  Gillick's injuries would probably have been much more severe but for the courage and resource of his wife.  When he rushed out of the garage with his clothing in flames, Mrs Gillick heard his cries.  She throw him to the ground and rolled him over until the flames were put out.  Then he was taken to hospital.  The Bootle Fire Bridage was called and when it arrived the garage was a mass of flames.  The fire had spread to the garage of Walter Boyes, Gillcik's club-mate, who has the home next door, and the roof was slightly damaged.  The car, however in this garage had been pulled clear and was saved.  The briage extinguished the outbreak after half an hour's work.  One
  of the most popular of Everton's players, Gillick was transferred from Glasgow Rangers in December, 1935, at a fee said to be over £8,000 and he married a Glasgow bride that month.  He got his first international game against a home country (he had played against Continental sides) in October, 1938, when he was chosen to play for Scotland against Ireland at outside-left. 

Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 16 November 1939
Torrance Gillick, the Everton F.C. player who was burned in fire at his home last night, is stated not to be in any danger 'He has burns on both hands and arms and on his face. An official of the Everton Football Club said today that Gillick had a bad night,” but was comfortable this morning. It is expected that it will be at least six weeks before he will be fit to play again. Gillick lives at Alt Way, Aintree, and he was endeavouring to save his car from the garage, which was burnt out. When he rushed out of the garage with his clothing in flames, Mrs. Gillick rolled him over until the flames were put out. The Bootle Fire Brigade had the fire out in half an hour. Gillick is in Walton Hospital.

November 16, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
The sympathy of his many Goodison admirers will go out to Torry Gillick, Everton’s brilliant outside right, in his unfortunate accident. Gillick is an inmate of Walton Hospital, following extensive burns to the arms when a garage at his home caught fire. But for the plucky action of his wife, who extinguished the flames, it might have been much more serious. As it is Torry will naturally be out of the Everton side for some time. I wish him a speedy recovery. Meantime Everton will probably include Sharp in the team against Chester on Saturday.


Leicester Daily Mercury - Thursday 16 November 1939

The presence of mind of his wife probably saved the life of Torrance Gillick, of Everton, the Scottish international winger, when he became enveloped in flames through trying to get his car from a burning garage last night. Hearing his shouts, Mrs. Gillick ran from their home in Altway, Aintree, and rolled her husband on the ground to extinguish his burning clothing. He was taken to hospital, in a serious condition. To-day Gillick was reported to rather ill.

Liverpool Evening Express - Friday 17 November 1939
Torrance Gillick, the Everton F.C.’s Scottish international forward, who was burned while trying save his motor-car from a burning garage on Wednesday night, was stated to be " still moderately ill" at Walton Hospital today.

November 17, 1939. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Third Division clubs have no grumble with the Regional fare, for the simple reason that the tip-top First Division clubs have to visit them. Chester are looking forward to one of their best gates tomorrow, when the champions of the Football League, Everton go to Sealand-road. I knew some of the Everton stars will be missing, but I do want to impress on my Chester friends that the Blues are exceptionally strong in reserve talent and that lads like Gee, Bell, Lindley and Saharp are bonny footballers. Everton: - Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Gee, Watson; Sharp, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes. Chester:- Shortt; Brown, A.N. Other, Howarth, Walters; Cole, Horsman, Astbury, McMahon, Leyfield, Saunders.
Everton supporters staying at home need not go without 90 minutes football, for Everton “B” team will be in action against Howson’s in a Bootle J.O.C League match at Goodison Park. These games are always worth seeing. The Everton team will be found in the advertisement on this page.
• Everton “B” v Howson’s Tomorrow (Saturday) at Goodison Park. Kick-off 3 p.m. Admission 4d, Boys 2d, Stands 6d Everton X1 –Canavan, Harvey, Dugdale; Sharrett, Beardwood, Hankin; Sumner, Simmins, Penlington, Lyon, Bailey. Keep This Cutting As Your Programme.

November 17, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton are badly hit for their game with Chester at Sealand Road, tomorrow for not only have international scare cuts into their ranks, but through the unfortunate happening to Gillick they have to make a change at outside right. Norman Sharp takes over, and this smart young footballer, although he has big shoes to fill, can depended upon to do his utmost to keep the line up to standard. Although there is a big counter-attraction at nearby Wrexham, Chester people are looking forward to this, the first visit of Everton to the Ancient City. The Cestrians have a good side, and they will gave Everton plenty to think about. Everton have not lost one of their three Sectional games, the only point they have dropped being against Stoke City. Chester too, are having a good innings so a keen tussle lies ahead for the champions. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Gee, Watson; Sharp, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes. Chester:- Short; Brown, Common; Howarth, Walters, Cole; Horsman, Astbury, McMahon, leyfield, Saunders.
• Southport are to player W. Hullett the ex-Evertonian, against Blackpool.

November 18, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Watcher.
Sagar, Everton’s goalkeeper, is suffering from an injury to a foot and was unable to play against Chester at Sealand-road today. Burnett deputised. Everton were also without Jones, Mercer, Gillick and Lawton. Gee captained the team in Sagar’s absence. I understand that Everton will not have the services of Lawton for some time. The international centre-forward is taking up an appointment in the Midlands and is not likely to be available for the majority of Everton’s matches. Chester: - Shortt, goal; Brown and Commons, backs; Howarth, Walters and Cole, half-backs; Horseman, Astbury, McMahon (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Leyfield, and Saunders, forwards. Everton: - Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Gee (captain), and Watson, half-backs; Sharp, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Salmon (Stoke-on-Trent). The Wrexham international had its effect on today’s gate, but the spectators were treated to a thrill in the early stages; when McMahon, the Wolverhampton centre forward, who led the Chester attack, headed wide from Horseman’s centre. From the goal kick Everton went straight into the attack and Bentham tested Shortt with a low drive. The Blues should have taken the lead a few minutes afterwards when Stevenson broke through. He took the ball to within a few yards of goal before attempting to net, but his shot struck Shortt’s legs and rebounded. Stevenson, Boyes and Bell combined cleverly before the winger placed the ball to Sharp, who was left with a clear course to goal. The outside right hit the ball with his left foot, but it flew wide of the target. It was a bad miss, and Chester had reasons to congratulate themselves on their escape. They celebrated it by taking the lead in 15 minutes after a really brilliant movement. It was Leyfield, the former Everton winger, who paved the way for the goal. He changed places temporary with Saunders and drew Jackson before crossing a perfect, low centre, which Saunders took in his stride before beating Burnett with a low drive from close range. Chester were playing fine football and their left wing was causing the Everton defence endless trouble. Everton took up the attack again, and Boyes bowled Howarth over before turning the ball back to Bentham who hit the side-netting. Howarth was so shaken by his fallen that he had to receive the attention of the trainer. When play was resumed, a hefty clearance struck Bell in the stomach, and he had to leave the field for attention. The Everton goal had an escape when McMahon missed his kick from Horseman’s pass. A minute later Bell equalised for Everton. In 35 minutes McMahon headed Chester’s second, but straight from the resumption Stevenson netted for Everton.

November 18, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
May Play For Leicester City
Chester’s Shock
Sanders Takes An Opening Point.
By Stork.
At item of news. I hear that Tom Lawton may not be available to play for Everton very often because he has obtained a position in the Midlands and it is quite possible that he may throw in his lot with one of the Midland teams probably Leicester City. Chester: - Shortt, goal; Brown and Commons, backs; Howarth, Walters and Cole, half-backs; Horseman, Astbury, McMahon (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Leyfield, and Saunders, forwards. Everton: - Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Gee (captain), and Watson, half-backs; Sharp, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Salmon (Stoke-on-Trent). Sagar found he was unable to play owing to a sore heel. He tried his foot out just before the match, but decided he could not possibly play. Naturally the international match at Wrexham had its effect on the game, which however, in the circumstances was not a bad one –about 4,000. The football in the first ten minutes was of good quality and Chester provided quite a fair slice of it, but near goal Everton were the more dangerous. Short saved from Bentham and was somewhat fortunate when Stevenson ran through the Chester defence and levelled a shot which struck the goalkeeper without him having much knowledge of what was about to happen. Burnett had some work of a sort, but it was not the type likely to bring about his downfall. Astbury made one shot which was without any great sting and Saunders opened the way with a cross pass which, however, was not taken up. The attendance had increased so that it was quite a good one and there was great joy when Saunders scored for Chester at the 14 minute. He had dashed into the centre to pick up a pass, and without a frantic delay shot into the net. Boyes got the better of Brown, but the Chester goalkeeper was well up to the situation. Bell was hurt when a big clearance by Walters struck him in the stomach, and he had to leave the field for a few minutes. Some of Chester’s combination was fine, but they lacked finished, for the Everton goalkeeper had not a lot of work to do, not withstanding Chester’s attempts.

November 20, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Chester 3, Everton 2
Capital Game At High Speed.
By Stork.
“one of the best games seen in Chester this season.” That was the unanimous opinion after the Chester-Everton game at Sealand Road, which was won by the Third Division side by 3 goals to 2. They were the better side and deserved their success. Speed on the ball, and that little extra energy one finds in a game where a Third Division side meets a First carried Chester through. It was not energy which brought success, for there was any amount of good football. Chester were always quicker to the ball, and they took the lead in 14 minutes through Saunders, who cut into the middle. McMahon scored at second at 30 minutes. Two minutes later the score had been levelled through a header goal by Stevenson and a glide by Bell. Three goals had been scored in three minutes. Some of the joy had been taken from the Chester crowd, but when Gee, in his endeavour to stop a shot by Cole, sent the ball into his own net. Chester’s day was complete. The second half showed Chester up in a grand light and it will take a really good side to lower their colours. Lawton, the Everton and England centre forward, is to take a post in the Midlands. It is more than likely that he will join one of the Midland clubs, although Everton will try to have his services whenever that is possible. Chester: - Shortt, goal; Brown and Commons, backs; Howarth, Walters and Cole, half-backs; Horseman, Astbury, McMahon (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Leyfield, and Saunders, forwards. Everton: - Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindley, Gee (captain), and Watson, half-backs; Sharp, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Salmon (Stoke-on-Trent).
• England beat Wales at Wrexham in front of 17,ooo spectators, Tg Jones played for Wales and Mercer and Lawton for England, TG. Jones deflected a Lawton shot into his own goal.
• Harry Catterick played for Stockport on Saturday and scored.

November 20, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Watcher.
The news that Tommy Lawton, Everton’s international centre-forward, is taking up a post in the Midlands comes as a severe blow to Everton. True, he may play on occasions, but it is unlikely that much will be seen of him at Goodison Park. Mr. Theo Kelly, the Everton secretary did indicate when giving me this information, however, that he was taking steps to discover whether it would be possible for Lawton to make the journey to Merseyside. Everton’s defeat by Chester at Sealand-road was their first reverse in the regional competition, but that the home side fully deserved their success in a fast and hard-fought game is beyond dispute. It was an effort of judgement by Gee, Everton’s acting captain, which gave the home side the victory, for in endeavouring to clear a shot by Cole, he deflected it out of Burnett’s reach into the net. All the goals were scored in the first half, yet it was after the interval that Chester’s superiority was really marked. They were a better balanced side than Everton, and had splendid forwards in Saunders and McMahon, the Wolverhampton professional, while Leyfield rendered able assistance as Saunders’ partner. Walters was a dour centre-half with Cole and Howarth strong both in attack and defence and Common the better back. Everton’s strength lay in their left flank, where Greenhalgh, Watson, Stevenson and Boyes took the honours. Bentham was an untiring worker, and Burnett, who deputised for Sagar in goal, gave an excellent display.

November 20, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
We have been complaining of the lack of snap in Regional football. Well let me tell you there was no lack of it, in the Chester-Everton game on Saturday. The Cestrians were as keen as mustard to beat their more famous rivals, and in doing so played some smart football with lots of punch about it. The pity was that there should be an international match eleven miles away which cut down the attendance by half, for given a crowd of 8,000 and that is the number which would have been there for the counter-attraction, the enthusiasm would have been greater. As it was Chester’s play, particularly the victory, delighted the locals, who gave their favourities plenty of vocal support.
Cestrians Keyed Up.
Chester won a solid victory because they were smarter on the ball and more energetic in their methods. Not that there was any nastiness about their play, but they were keyed up to beat this famous club. Without players like Lawton, Sagar, Gillick and TG Jones Everton were naturally at a disadvantage, but don’t forget there were five representatives players in their team. It was a most enjoyable game with Chester deserving their victory, but they looked like losing it one time when Everton reduced their two goal lead in the space of two minutes. This might have taken the sting out of their play, instead of which it made them strive all the more and in the second half they were bang on top of their rivals and should have had further goals. Saunders twice hit the Everton goalkeeper on the legs when he should have scored, and Everton should have had a penalty against them.
Goals By The Minute.
Chester’s winning goal was a curious affair. Cole had driven the ball towards the Everton goal, and there seemed to be no danger ahead until Gee put up his foot to stop the ball and sent it spinning under the Everton crossbar. We had three goals in three minutes by McMahon, Stevenson and Bell following an earlier one by Saunders. It was a grand game, and Chester stamped there selves as a progressive side which will be difficult to beat on their own ground. As I stated on the Saturday echo, Tommy Lawton is likely to be lost to the Everton club for some time. He has obtained a position in the Midlands and although it will be difficult to get him up for the home games, Mr. Kelly will get him whenever possible. I believe that Leicester is the team most likely to obtained his services.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 21 November 1939
Three Everton players will be included in the England team to oppose Scotland in the international match at Newcastle on December 2. They are Joe Mercer, Tommy Lawton and Norman Greenhalgh (writes Pilot). The full team is not yet completed for the three selectors, one of whom Mr. W. C. Cuff, president of the Football League, are waiting hear that clubs will release the players required. Mercer definitely will be at left half although with Willingham playing for the F.A. XI at Doncaster, there vacancy at right half. This position will .however, be filled by Harry Goslm, the Bolton captain. The question of Lawton playing depends on whether can secure release from his work oi national importance. The choice of Greenhalgh will be a popular one on Merseyside. This be the former New Brighton Player second representative game. Last 6 he played for the League XI which beat the Scottish League at Wolverhampton The choice for goal is Swinburne of Newcastle United, while the inside forwards will be Ray Westwood, of 'Bolton Wanderers, and Raich Carter, of Sunderland.
Tommy Lawton, the international centre-forward, is a probable starter for Everton against Crewe Alexandra Saturday, Mr. Theo Kelly, the Everton secretary, stated today he thought it would be possible for Lawton to travel from the Midlands to play.

November 21 1939. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Logs.
Willie Cook, the Everton back and Irish international captain, will play for Wrexham on Saturday in the Western Regional match at the Racecourse against Liverpool. Cook, who is now a sergeant-instructor in the Army, joins several other stars who have thrown in their lot with the Wrexham club. Wrexham will also have the aid of either Baker or Ormston, of Stoke City, and Redfern, the Welsh international of Derby County, returns to the team. Everton are hoping that the following Saturday Cook will be able to play for them. They are due to face Liverpool at Anfield, and the international match at Newcastle deprives them of the services of Norman Greenhalgh.

November 21, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
The report that Tommy Lawton, the Everton and England centre forward would play for Leicester City against Birmingham at Filbert Street, on Saturday is a little premature. The Everton club have selected him to play against Crewe Alexander, at Goodison Park on Saturday. It will be difficult; but Mr. Kelly tells me that he is going to make a great effort to bring him through to Liverpool –he left to take up the new appointment in the Midland’s today. Naturally Leicester City would be glad to have Lawton’s services; but you can take it from me that every effort will be made to have him at Goodison Park on Saturday. Mercer returns long with Tommy Jones and Sagar, so that Everton will be almost at full strength with the exception of Torry Gillick, which I am glad to say is very comfortable in hospital nursing his burns. Davies will take the Scot’s place on the right wing. Young Burnett who deputised for Sagar in goal at Chester, did very well and allowed a lot of promise, Sagar, who had foot trouble, is now fully recovered and will of course resume in goal. Team; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Davies, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and Boyes.
• Billy Cook the Everton full back was married in Liverpool yesterday.
• Mercer, Lawton and Greenhalgh have been selected to play against Scotland at Newcastle on Saturday week. In the first case of the first named, who is in the Army P.T.I needs permission will have to be obtained from his superior officers while Lawton of course, has taken a civilian job in the Midland which may possibly restrict his freedom to travel. Providing he is fit and able to play this will be Norman Greenhalgh’s first international appearance. Is only previous representative honour was in the inter-League match against Scotland at Wolverhampton’s ground twelve months ago, when he came into the Football league side through Eddie Hapgood being injured.

Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 23 November 1939
Tommy Lawton, who is engaged on work of national importance, will not be able to play for Everton on Saturday. Bell will be at centre forward.

Liverpool Daily Post - Thursday 23 November 1939
Mr. Albert Nicholas Denaro whom the Minister of Labour has appointed an assessor of hardship to deal with the appeals of men seeking a postponement of their military service on exceptional grounds, was born in February, 1876, in Plum Street, which now forms part of the Exchange Railway Station; and he was educated at St. Nicholas's Church School in Moorfields.  Though he started work in a lithograther's, his love for horses soon caused him to secure employment as a cater's boy; and he subsequently worked for many Liverpool and Birkenhead team-owners.  Nearly forty-five years ago he joined the Mersey Quay and Caters Union, and he has just attained his "coming -of-age" as general secretary, the organisation being now, owing to transport changes, the Liverpool and District Carters' and Motormen's Union.  As a city magistrate for the past ten years, Mr. Denaro has been specially interested in the work of the juvenile sports.  Last year he became chairman of the newly formed Everton Footb
 all Club Shareholders' Association.  

November 24, 1939. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Logs.
Liverpool’s premier clubs will be engaged in Merseyside area “Derby” matches tomorrow. Everton will be at home to Crewe Alexandra and Liverpool visit Wrexham. Crewe Alexanders will prove no easy prey for Everton. They have to help of several players from outside clubs, and they are difficult team to beat. While I think Everton can win, Crewe will provide much to delight. Leading the Crewe attack will be a former Evertonian in Leo Stevens, the former Wallasey tram conductor, and a danger man from any point inside “the box.” Johnson, the professional signed last season from Northwich will be at outside right for Everton. Johnson is home on leave, and Davies stands down in order to give him a game. Everton; Sagar (or Burnett); Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Johnson, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson, Boyes.
• Tranmere Rovers still seeking their first Regional point, go to Edgerley Park to face a Stockport County strengthened by the inclusion if Gee, of Everton.

November 24, 1939. The Liverpool Echo.
By Stork.
Everton, who suffered their first Regional defeat last week, are pitted against one of the big scoring sides of their section in Crewe Alexandra, who last week ran up seven goals against Wrexham, the “guest artists” specialist” specialists. But there was some reason for Everton’s defeat, for they were without four of their “star” players, and that is taking a big slice of the side. While in no way trying to belittle Chester’s victory, it is only fair to state Everton’s case. Tomorrow at Goodison, Everton will be almost at full strength and I cannot see Crewe bringing off a sensation. True many things can happen in this class of football, but at home Everton are very difficult to beat, and they will be all out to retrieve the loss of a week ago. With their rivals Liverpool at the top of the section, it is only natural that Everton will make every effort to get upside with their rivals, so Crewe must look out.
Lawton For Leicester.
A week ago I told you of Lawton’s removal to the Midland area and that he would possibly throw in his lot with Leicester City. Well, he finds that he will not be free from work until noon, and that he would be unable to get to Liverpool in time for a 2.30 kick-off. He will therefore play for Leicester City against Birmingham, and Bunny Bell will take his place against Crewe. Tom Bromilow is delighted to have Lawton’s services. It will make a big difference to us,” he said. With, Jones, Mercer, and Sagar back Everton should move forward through a convincing win over the Alexandra, but they must not think that they are going to have a walk-over, for Crewe are out to show that their win of a week ago was no mere fluke. Everton; Sagar; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones, Watson; Davies, Bentham, Stevenson, Boyes. Crewe: - Poskett; Gilchrist, Dyer; Cooper, Cope, Still; Waring, Rice, Stevens, Cobourne, Foreman.

November 25, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
And First To Score Against Everton
Stevens Beats Sagar
Johnson Converts A Clever Bell Effort.
By Stork.
Teams: - Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Johnson, Simmons, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Crewe Alexandra: - Poskett, goal; Gilchrist, and Dryer, backs; Cooper, Cope and Still, half-backs; Waring, Rice, Stevens, Cobourne, and Foreman, forwards. Referee Mr. W.H. Evans. There was the poorest gate of all time at Goodison for not more than 500 people were present when the game opened. Whether they were attractive or not Crewe were the first to score in a matter of four minutes. Still ran through and made a fiery shot, which Sagar parried. The ball went out to Stevens who promptly returned it into the net. Everton’s reply produced shots by Johnson and Mercer. Goalkeeper Posket was rather fortunate to get the Army instructor’s final shot, and he did so almost on the goal line. Johnson put over the bar with a fiery drive, and at this point Everton had the upper hand of their opponents, although Jones had to kick into touch to hold up the lively Stevens. So far Hosket had done grand work. He went on continuing it, making a grand save from Watson. A nice movement by Cobourne was spoiled through Foreman getting of off-side. It was an excellent decision on the part of the referee, but it was one of those hair-line affairs. Bentham was unable to play, so that Simmons, the Wallasey boy got his chance with the seniors. At 12 minutes Everton equalised, it was Bell who made the score possible but it was Johnson, who actually scored this goal. Bell had bamboozled the Crewe defence by a quick shuffle of the feet, but the ball was scrambled away rather lucky. It went out to Johnson, who was left with a gilt-edged chance to shoot past Poskett, who was out of position. Everton almost had a second when Stevenson and Boyes between them cut through the Crewe defensive barrier, Boyes’s shot knocking the wind out of one of the Crewe men whereas without any interference, it might have knocked the wind out of Crewe. Mercer, looking as fit as a fiddle, came over to the left flank to render assistance and he beat two men without touching the ball. Crewe had desperate luck when a surprise shot by Gilchrist slapped up against the crossbar, Sagar and everyone else being beaten.

November 25, 1939. The Evening Express.
By Watcher.
Sid Simmons former Wallasey schoolboy, made his first team debut for Everton against Crewe Alexandra, at Goodison Park today. He took the place of Bentham who stood down following an accident at his work. Mercer and Jones were back from international duty and Johnson appeared at outside-right for Sharp. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Johnson, Simmons, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Crewe Alexandra: - Poskett, goal; Gilchrist, and Dryer, backs; Cooper, Cope and Still, half-backs; Waring, Rice, Stevens, Cobourne, and Foreman, forwards. Referee Mr. W.H. Evans. Crewe attacked on the right and when Jones hurried away Waring’s centre the ball ran to Cooper, who placed over the bar. Crewe followed with a second raid on the right. This time Crewe were successful. Still weaved his way through before ending in a storming drive from the edge of the penalty area. Sagar did well to beat the ball down but could do more than push it forward for Stevens to place into the untenanted goal. Everton almost drew level in the first attack, Poskett had to dive full length to push out a shot from Simmons, and immediately afterwards Johnson sent over with a left foot drive Crewe were a nippy combination and Stevens and Waring combined cleverly without troubling Sagar. Watson tested Poskett with a fine left-foot drive, which the goalkeeper was unable to hold, and it fell outside the post for a fruitless corner. Everton continued to attack, and there were appeals for a penalty when Simmons was impeded as he was going through.
Everton Equalise.
In 12 minutes Everton drew level. They attacked strongly on the left and the ball was placed to Johnson, who gave Poskett no chance with a left-foot drive from 10 yards range. Only timely intervention by Greenhalgh prevented Crewe from regaining the lead, for the left back flung himself at the unmarked Waring who charged down the shot with the winger only a yard or two from goal. Everton’s goal had an even narrower escape when Cooper shot from 30 yards. When Everton took up the attack again. Crewe fell so far back on the defensive that they appeared to have nine full backs, and Stevenson was easily crowded out when he attempted to break through on his own.

November 27, 1939. The Liverpool Daily Post
Champions Too Strong For Crewe
Everton 6, Crewe Alexandra 2
By Stork.
Everton were much too strong a side for Crewe Alexandra at Goodison Park, before one of the smallest crowds at seen at the ground. Crewe started well with a goal in four minutes, and after that Everton dictated the game and got complete mastery of it. Goals were scored at regular intervals, and it was easy to be seen that through Crewe played well at times. Everton played with something in hand. The goal scoring started in four minutes when Stevens shot into the Everton net after Sagar had parried a shot from Still. Then came an Everton goal, Johnson finding the net after Poskett had pushed a hard draw away from his goal. Then Bell added to the score at forty minutes after Poskett had made yet another half save. Everton thus led 2-1 at the interval. In the second half Crewe were over-run, and two quick goals by Simmons, the Wallasay boy, playing his first game for the seniors, added to Crewe’s worries. It is only fair to say that Simmons got both his opportunities from perfect passes by Bell. Boyes chalked up the fifth goal for Everton and so it went on. But at long last Crewe broke through the Everton defence and Stevens a second for his side, but he had hardly done so when Bell came to complete the day’s scoring to give Everton their 6-2 victory. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar (captain), goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones and Watson, half-backs; Johnson, Simmons, Bell, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Crewe Alexandra: - Poskett, goal; Gilchrist, and Dryer, backs; Cooper, Cope and Still, half-backs; Waring, Rice, Stevens, Cobourne, and Foreman, forwards. Referee Mr. W.H. Evans.

November 27, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Although Crewe Alexandra got off with a good start –a goal in four minutes –they were soon put in their place by a much superior force. Everton were not perturbed by this early blow and gradually that took charge of the game and showing much better football, they ultimately pushed the Alexandra’s nose out of the game. Or course they should do, for the Railwaymen are a grade or two lower in status than adversaries, but it must have been gratifying to them to have the honour of drawing first blood. But it was only a flash in the pan, and although Everton seemed to be travelling at half speed they showed up the great difference in First and Third Division football. Such where one side is definitely the better side, loses some of it attraction, for no one desires to see a one-sided contest. The first half was the better for Crewe were doing really well against a much more crafty opponents but in the second half Everton got their teeth in the game and one began to wonder at what figure their scoring would cease. Crewe’s defence had run itself out, and when Bell offered young Simmons, the Wallasay boy, two perfect openings, the former “B” team member took his chances like a veteran. That was a good day’s work for the newcomer, but he did more than score two goals. He showed a lot of skill, and he and Johnson got on remarkably well together, Johnson opening Everton’s scoring account after Stevens had marked one tip for Crewe. Mercer was forever backing up the junior members. Joe was more fancial than usual, some of his “conjuring” tricks bringing applause. He worked the ball on the space of a sixpence in fact it was the half-back line which curbed the Crewe attack which, however, did uncommonly well against men of international ability.

November 27, 1939, The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
A young player who seems desired to make his name in first class football was one of the stars of Everton’s victory over Crewe Alexandra at Goodison Park on Saturday. He is Sydney Simmons a 16-year-old inside-right, who was making his first team debut for Everton in the absence of Bentham. Simmons a former Wallasey schoolboy, played for Everton “B” team in the Bootle J.O.C team before the war, when he held a position on the ground staff at Goodison Park. In addition to scoring two fine goals, Simmons displayed a splendid knowledge of the finer points of the game and made an excellent partner for Johnson. Crewe surprised Everton by scoring in the first two minutes but, once the Blues had taken the lead, the Alexandra were no match for their more experienced rivals. Boyes was a brilliant left winger and no one on the field worked harder than Stevenson, who did everything but score. Everton were superior at half-back, where Mercer, Jones and Watson were excellent both in attack and defence, while Greenhalgh who, on occasions, because a sixth forward, was a fine back. Johnson, Bell (2), Simmons (2), and Boyes scored for Everton while Stevens secured both goals for Crewe.
• Willie Cook played for Wrexham against Liverpool.

November 28, 1939. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Merseyside followers of the game, however, will have something a little more “meaty” than the usual run of Regional games to get their teeth into the week-end, for on Saturday at Anfield we have the first Western Section Derby between two Liverpool clubs, which ought to attract the full permitted gate of 15,000. Owing to the international match at Newcastle, Everton will be without Greenhalgh and Mercer, while Lawton, now working at Leicester is also in the English team. Saunders comes in for Greenhalgh, and Lindley and Bell deputise for Mercer and Lawton respectively. There is also an alternative selection for the inside right position should Bentham not to be available. Young Simmons who showed such promise against Crewe Alexandra, will do duty if needed and Davies will take the place of Johnson, whose Army leave has expired. The team: - Sagar; Jackson, Saunders; Lindley, Jones, Watson; Davies, Bentham, (or Simmons), Bell, Stevenson, Boyes.
Caskie “In”
Torry Gillick unfortunate accident put him out of court so far as consideration for this match was concerned. In his place Scotland has called on another registered Everton player in wee Caskie, who latterly has been assisting St. Mirren.

November 30, 1939, The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log.
There is a demand for junior football these days. Everton F.C. are not running a reserve team this season, and when the first team is away on Regional business, Goodison Park has been turned over to the “B” and “C” teams, operating in the Bootle J.O.C. League. At the last game played there, 1,000 people went along –and they had a real football treat. On Saturday another of these interesting games will be played at Goodison, the “B” team facing Klondyke. Everton: - “B” Hedger; Harvey, Dugdale; Sharett, Beardswood, Hankin; Penlington; Simmons, Cobham, Lyon, Bailey.

November 30, 1039. The Liverpool Echo.
Ranger’s Notes.
It falls to the lot of few 16-years-old debutants in football to get a couple of goals on their first senior appearance, which was the good fortunate of young Sidney Simmons at Goodison Park on Saturday. True, this is war-time Regional football, and not to be compared in the calibre of opposition to peace-time League warfare. Even so not many debutants will be so fortunate. Biggest ordeal of all, for most young players is facing the gigantic crowd –pre-war, of course. Even experienced players suffer a species of stage-fright on big occasions. There was the classic case of a well-known international some years ago who, prior to a Wembley Cup Final, was so nervy that he was unable to tie his own boot laces. Yet he was supposed to be one of the most hardened players of his day. Even Hoe Mercer, experienced as he is confessed to me afterwards that he never felt so nervous as he did while waiting for the start of the England-Scotland game at Hampden Park last April. But as soon as the match started the feeling disappeared and he played the game of his life. Simmons who will not be 17 until next August, is a hefty lad for his age, nearly 5ft 10ins, and just over 10 stone. He is equally at home at right or centre half or anywhere on the righting. Actually he was figuring at centre half for Wallasey schoolboys when Everton signed him soon after his 14 birthday. Football is not the only sport at which he excels, for he won a boxing championship at Wallasey and was largely instrumental in winning the Swanwick cricket cup for Gorsedale Road School. He seems all set for following in the tradition laid down by other ex-Wallasey schoolboys like Westcott and Steen.







November 1939