Everton Independent Research Data


November 1, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Gillick is now playing with Rangers from whom Everton signed him. Before Everton completed that transfer Torry was watched in every forward position, and liked. So it comes as no surprise to the powers at Goodison Park to learn that Torry is now rated one of the most effective inside forwards north of the Tweed. Week after week he keeps banging them in for the sensational Rangers. And to think that only a couple of years ago I went to hospital to visit Torry, who was lying in bed swathed in bandages consequent on the burns received in his garage fire. Truth is that can’t keep a good player down.

November 1, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton’s Recovery Vein
Late Goals
After Losing Lead in One Minute
By Stork.
Everton:-Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG), and Watson, half-backs; Owen, Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Bromwich), Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Liverpool:- Hobson, goal; Lambert and Ramsden, backs; Carney, Whittakker, and Kaye, half-backs; Niuwenhuys, Fagan, Done, Dorsett (Wolvers), and Liddell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Brown). It was like own times at Goodison Park today, what with the comparatively large crowd and the nature excitement of a Derby game. Liverpool had a very strong side out, whereas Everton had to make some forward changes owing to Lawton’s absence. There was a first-class sensation in the first half minute, for in that time Liverpool had taken the lead. Mercer, in trying to find his outside left, but the ball right across to Niuwenhuys, who sprinted forward a few yards before making a perfect pass to Done who lured Burnett from his goal and then shot the ball home. Everton replied strongly, and on two occasions got to within close range, but such was the quality of Liverpool’s defence Hobson had no occasion to handle. As against that Watson had to make a daring interception to prevent Done getting through for a second goal. Everton had chances of knocking off their arrears long before they did, but there was tenderness about their forward play when near to goal. The football was intriguing and Done and Fagan were almost through to further goals, only to shoot wildly.
Bentham’s Scoop.
Stevenson tried a long shot, which must have touched a Liverpool defender in its travel, for a corner was the result and from the flag kick came the Everton equaliser. Tom Jones came up into the goalmouth to utilise his height, but Hobson managed to get the ball away. It want out to Bentham, who clearly scooped it back and into the net, the ball travelling just underneath the crossbar. When Done was through again he elected to shoot, whereas a little side pass to colleague Dorsett would have been of much better value. Just at this stage Everton made an onslaught, and Liverpool had several narrow escapes. Hobson saved from Owen, the ball was blocked when Mercer shot, and Lyon also found his drive cannon from the rival. We were getting plenty of thrills, and the crowd –I should say it was 15,000 –gave the players plenty of encouragement. Both sides were striving manfully for the lead. Lyon missed a real “sitter” when a mistake by Lambert put him in possession with only Hobson standing between him and success. His shot finished well wide –a glorious opportunity cast away. Liverpool were unfortunate when Done had a goal disallowed. I could see little wrong with it. Within a few minutes Bentham took up a pass by H. Jones and scored a fine goal, at 46 minutes. Six minutes later Liddell beat Cook and from long range scored a really grand goal. Just as the half-time whistle blew Done headed into the net, but just a fraction too late to count.
Half-time; Everton 2, Liverpool 2.
Within a minute of resuming Bentham netted for Everton, but again the goal was disallowed. At this stage Everton were playing slightly superior football.
Hobson’s Busy Spell.
Hobson ,made a great save from a free kick from Jones, scooped another shot away as it was sneaking inside the upright, and saved two long shots from Stevenson. Although Liverpool showed dismisses of their half form it was not fully maintained Everton continued to be the more menacing side. H. Jones scored for Everton after 82 minutes and Bentham scored a fourth three minutes from the end. Everton 5, Liverpool 3.

November 3, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 5, Liverpool 3
Bentham Gets Three Goals.
By Stork.
Everton came out of the Derby game a goal better than their neighbours, Liverpool, for in the return match at Goodison Park, they won 5-3, as against Liverpool’s 3-2 victory, at Anfield. Everton won the return because they stayed the course the better. They had to face up to a Liverpool goal in the first half-minute, yet were on level terms at the half-stage. If we could have games like this each week there would be a big uplift in attendances. Liverpool, playing sound and effective football, gave Everton a great deal of trouble, but while the winners met Liverpool’s thrust and parry with some smart midfield play, they were not to sure in front of goal, but were capable of sharing the honours at the interval. It was something of a blow to the Blues to find themselves a goal in arrears within half a minute of the start through a faulty pass by Mercer which enabled Nieuwenhuys to stride forward and present Done with an easy chance but within 15 minutes Bentham had levelled matters. There was no doubt there was a pre-war keenness about the match, the old “Derby” feeling was rife among the spectators and when Everton took the lead at 36 minutes the cheering brought back happy memories, Bentham again was the scorer, but just before the interval Liddell was left alone as he strode towards goal to score what I considered the best goal of the match. Done had previously had a goal disallowed, and he nodded the ball into the net just as the whistle sounded for the interval, It had been grand fare.
Great Saves
When Bentham netted 3 minutes after the interval the second half promised another tense “45” but Bentham’s point was disallowed for offside. Much to the sparkle went out of the Anfielders play. Hobson made two great saves, T. Jones and Cook before Owen and Liddell missed simple chances, but the promised Everton goals came when Jones scored at 82 minutes and Bentham obtained his third a few minutes later. Done reduced Everton’s lead from what appeared an offside position –he took a forward pass from Liddell. Lyon, however, scored a couple of minutes before the end. The last ten minutes had produced 4 goals it was a fighting finish. Liverpool failed to stay the pace they had set in the opening half, but they went down fighting. I Put Stevenson well in front of all others. He had admirable backing from Mercer. Bentham, Jones (T.), and his full backs. I liked Carney’s enthusiasm. Done’s determination –he has improved since I last saw him –and Liddell, who often outwitted the experienced Cook. Attendance 14,400. Receipts £810. Everton:-Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (TG), and Watson, half-backs; Owen, Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Bromwich), Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Liverpool:- Hobson, goal; Lambert and Ramsden, backs; Carney, Whittakker, and Kaye, half-backs; Niuwenhuys, Fagan, Done, Dorsett (Wolvers), and Liddell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Brown).

November 3, 1941. The Liverpool Echo.
Liddell’s Sparkles
Ranger’s Notes
Though football finance isn’t of any great consequence these days –except to clubs and directors guaranteeing overdrafts –it is worth noting that the two Liverton Derbies yielded over £1,500 gross – more evidence that the right sort of football still pulls. Goodison’s 14,500 paid £810, biggest war time gate here apart from the international two years ago. More to the points, spectators got full value in a game which produced thrills galore. I reckon Everton deserved to win because of their second half pressure. In the first portion there was little between the sides, though Liverpool, moving by long sweeping passes, were better in attack, gaining twice the ground with half the effort of Everton’s close passing game. Unfortunately for Liverpool their defence did not quite last out the second portion, which Everton, mainly via heroic work by Stevenson, staged a sustained rally which kept it on the collar. Liverpool upset home supporters by Done’s first-minute opportunist goal, but it didn’t upset Everton who took the lead through two good goals by Bentham. Just on half-time Liverpool notched a real another from Liddell the best shot of the day. Everton gradually gained the ascendancy in the second half without being able to translate their advantage into goals, whereas Liverpool always looked dangerous when they got away. Then came a glut of four goals in the last ten minutes. Two to Everton, by Jones (H.) and Bentham, were rather scrambling things through earned by the amount of their pressure then came a brilliant Liddell run half the length of the field, at the end of which the winger offered Done a grit goal; and finally a Lyon effort to make it 5-3. On top of the night that counted we had three that didn’t – two to Liverpool and one to Everton.
Liddell and Stevenson
Obviously there was plenty of shooting above the average, as a matter of fact, but much was hasty and ill-directed. Had all the easy chances been taken twice as many goals would have been scored. Outstanding forwards of the day were Liddell and Stevenson. The former is definitely in the international standard on recent showings. Stevenson was the power behind Everton’s revival with Bentham an admirable seconder, Harry Jones was unimpressive, and Owen and Lyon mediocre. Everton’s half backs line was sound, with Mercer outstanding and Watson sound and solid. Liverpool’s attack, good in the first half faded out somewhat later, when Fagan tired and Nieuwenhuys became patchy. Done was consistently dangerous. Carney was a grand worker, always in the thick of things and Whittaker and Kaye did well until the strain became too much late on. The rear defences on both sides were good, though Cook had a tough task against Liddell. In short, it was a grand game, not over productive of brilliant football, perhaps apart from individuals, but keenly contested and full enough of thrills to send the crowd away well satisfied.

November 3, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Merseyside had a thrill-packed weekend in the sporting field. Beginning with a pulsating Merseyside “Derby” match at Goodison Park, when Everton beat Liverpool 5-3. The two grand “Derby” games have certainly created a new interest in war-time football in the area. Young Wally Knight, the Burnley player, was at Goodison Park on Saturday. He is now in the Navy, but I expect him to be turning out for Everton shortly.
Financial Success
No matter what our clubs lose on regular matches there is no doubt that the “Derby” games come to offset losses. Following the big crowd at Anfield the previous week, when Liverpool won 3-2, there was 14,549 at Goodison on Saturday with receipts of £810. That means the clubs share receipts of £1,518 – a windfall in these hard times. I did not think Saturday’s game came quite up to the Anfield match. Everton superiority in the second half made it just a little too one-way. Everton were good winners. Once again Everton found themselves a goal in arrears almost before the game started, but they were never ruffled and their nippy forwards, whose main asset was ball-control backed up by diligently half-backs, gradually asserted themselves. Done it was who scored for the Reds in 30 seconds, and after Bentham had equalised and then placed Everton ahead the Reds battled back to half-time equally through the ever menacing Liddell. The Reds too, had a goal disallowed for offside and rightly so. Liverpool’s deadly attackers gave promise of goals early in the second half, but Everton held them, off and after Hobson had made the save of the day off Tommy Jones free’ kick. After Stevenson began to weave his spells. Each of the three second half goals –to Bentham, Harry Jones and Lyon –was due to the creative arts of Stevenson. It was one of the finest exhibitions of inside forward play I have seen since the champion days. Liverpool were always fighting back strongly, and Done was presented with his 20th goal of the season by Liddell, but the Blues just had that extra skill and the Stevenson touch, which made all the difference. Neither Fagan, nor Dorsett, touched his true form. Liddell was again the big noise of the Reds attack –what a grand player he is, to be sure –while Done and Nieuwenhuys were always threatening danger, I was deeply impressed by the work of the wing-halves, Carney and Kaye –this Kaye is going to be a good un –and Whittaker brought steadiness at centre-half. Hobson’s work was impeccable. Bentham brought that weight and incisiveness, which has been missing so often from the Everton attack. Yon was again on his top note, but I think Wally Owen is more serviceable at inside-right than on the wing. Tommy Jones had a grand last hour.

November 6, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton hope to have the assistance of Welsh international Tommy Jones for their match against Wrexham at Goodison Park on Saturday. If so then Tommy will be playing against his old club, for it was from Wrexham that Everton secured him at 19 years of age for a four-figure transfer fee. Jones expects to have week-end leave from the Royal Air Force. If he cannot play Eric Keen, the Derby County international, will deputise, and Stan Bentham whose three goals triumph at inside-right, will revert to right half. Joe Mercer, of course, will be playing for the Army in England in their tilt at the Army in Scotland at Ibrox Park. Gordon Watson’s ankle received a knock in the game against Liverpool, but he will be fit to continue. Anderson, of Third Lanark, returns to outside-right, and young Wally Owen will n=move to inside-right –his natural position –while Harry Jones, of West Bromwich Albion, will continue as leader of the attack. Stevenson and Lyon continue in left wing partnership and George Jackson stands by as emergency forward in case there is any last-minute rearrangement. Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; Watson, Anderson, W. Owen, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Lyon, Jackson.
• Everton “A” go to Vyncote to tackle the Varsity.

November 7, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Notes
Goodison Park enthusiasts will have the chance of seeing the new Wrexham star, Atkinson tomorrow. This boy is a product of the local Victoria League, who has scored five goals in two first team appearances and who seems to be destined for big honours, have also received good receipts of two other youngsters in the side –Cyril Jones and J. Lloyd. Everton hope to have Tommy Jones playing against his former colleagues, but if not Eric Keen will be there to hold up the Welsh attack. Harry Jones will continue in leadership of an Everton attack which looks good enough to land the points providing there is the same penetrative power we saw against Liverpool a week ago. Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; Watson, Anderson, W. Owen, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Lyon, Jackson. Wrexham; Pritchard (Cardiff City); Milburn, Bellamy; Jones (C.), Turner (Birmingham), Wallbanks; Steen (Wolves), Bremner (Arsenal), Atkinson, Redfern (Derby County), Llody (J.).

November 7, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Wrexham are visitors to Goodison Park tomorrow for the first time for eighteen months, and though the Welsh side’s second is not as impressive as they would wish they are hopeful of better things in the future. They gave quite a good snow at Anfield, followed by a win at the Racecourse –Liverpool’s only defeat until last week. Though the promise of these early games has not been maintained Wrexham from what I hear are better than their record suggests. They will have to go all out to make sure impression on Everton’s defence, which still remains one of the best I have seen this season. Though Mercer will be an absentee tomorrow, Bentham will fill the gap well, and with Watson back, plus T.G. Jones or Keen in the middle the half-back line will be a source of strength. Attack is still the problem. Anderson comes back to the right wing, letting Owen in at his best position, with Harry Jones centre forward. Everton ought to win, but they can’t afford to throw away chances or leave all the front line donkey work to Stevenson. Teams:- Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; Watson, Anderson, W. Owen, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Lyon, Jackson. Wrexham; Pritchard (Cardiff City); Milburn, Bellamy; Jones (C.), Turner (Birmingham), Wallbanks; Steen (Wolves), Bremner (Arsenal), Atkinson, Redfern (Derby County), Llody (J.).

November 8, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Miss Chances Against Wrexham
By Stork.
Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Keen (Derby County), and Watson, half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), W. Owen, H. Jones (West Brom), Stevenson and Lyon, forwards. Wrexham:- Pitchard (Cardiff City), goal; Milburn and Bellamy, backs; C. Jones, Turner (Birmingham), and Wallbanks, half-backs; Steen (Wolves), Bremner (Arsenal), Atkinson, Redfern (Derby County), and J. Lloyd, forwards. Referee; Mr. E. Twist (Westhoughton). Wrexham played their goalkeeper from Cardiff City against Everton at Goodison Park, while the home team had Keen out in place of Tom Jones. Everton were always the more finished artistes, and at 22 minutes took the lead through Owen who rushed in to head Lyon’s corner kick to the back of the net. Goalkeeper Pritchard was running the wrong way as the ball was in flight. Wrexham opened some nice attacking moves, but they were cut short by the strong Everton defence in which Cook and Keen were outstanding. Burnett made acquaintance with the ball again when he held up a corner kick. It must be said that the Wrexham defence had done well against Everton’s live attack.
Half-time; Everton 1, Wrexham nil. Within a minute of resuming Everton had increased their lead. Anderson running through the Wrexham defence to shoot an angle goal at 46 minutes. A few minutes later Wrexham reduced their deficit. Atkinson was presented with the simplest of chances, but failed completely to connects with the ball. The danger was never really cleared, and Brenmer went through to beat Burnett easily. Final; Everton 3, Wrexham 1.

November 10, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 3, Wrexham 1
Missed Chances
By Stork
Before the scoring opened in the Everton and Wrexham match at Goodison, there were numerous cases of missed chances, particularly on the part of the Everton forwards. Owen obtained the only goal of the first half. Wrexham tried to emulate Everton’s short passing and it was a long time before they found that it did not pay against Everton’s close-knit defensive plan. Owen rushed up to head the ball, from Lyon’s corner kick into the net and within a minute of resuming Everton had taken a second goal through Anderson. When Bremner scored, Wrexham for some time gave the Everton defence something to think about. Atkinson missed a “sitter” from yards out and C. Jones cracked one over the bar. Wrexham changed their tactics, replying on the more open game, and some of their movements were high class. One of the cleverest movements seen throughout the match goes to their credit, even though it did not bring then anything tangible. Owen brought out the best in goalkeeper, Griffiths, who edged the ball over the bar, and later was weak with a shot. A long punt from the goal area reached the half-way line, and H. Jones standing in his own half dashed forward, hured Griffiths out of goal and shot the ball into the net. Everton’s attack was good in every respect with the exception of shooting. Stevenson and Owen were in form, Stevenson was impish in his dribbles, and the defence of Cook and Keen who linked up in the inter-passing movements, proved too much for the Wrexham attack. Bremner and Refern are capable forwards –just a little inclined to hang on to the ball; and Atkinson against a less capable centre half-back, might be a damaging centre-forward. Of the Wrexham half-backs I liked C. Jones, who was ever in the thick of the fight. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Keen (Derby County), and Watson, half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), W. Owen, H. Jones (West Brom), Stevenson and Lyon, forwards. Wrexham:- Pitchard (Cardiff City), goal; Milburn and Bellamy, backs; C. Jones, Turner (Birmingham), and Wallbanks, half-backs; Steen (Wolves), Bremner (Arsenal), Atkinson, Redfern (Derby County), and J. Lloyd, forwards. Referee; Mr. E. Twist (Westhoughton).
• Britton and Mercer played for Army of England against the Army of Scotland, at Glasgow and won 3-1.
• Liverpool won at Sealand Road against Chester 4-3, Shafto, Polk, Cook (2) for Liverpool and Yates, Roberts and McNeil for Chester, Chester’s Roberts missed a penalty.

November 10, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The Merseyside “Derby” matches in the Football league went the way of the Senior clubs on Saturday, for while Everton were beating Wrexham 3-1 at Goodison Park, Liverpool were beating Chester 4-3 at Sealand-road Stadium. Everton are now 11th in the Northern Section, but Liverpool are fifth, only two points behind the leaders, Lincoln City. Everton made it real hard work at Goodison Park. They held a two-goal lead over Wrexham –per Owen and Alderson –early in the second half and then made the mistake of easing up. Wrexham needed no encouragement to go in and make a fight of it and then set about their business with such good will and skill that it was desperate defence that kept them down to Bremner’s one goal. In the end Everton were fighting hard to hold to their advantage. It was not until neat the end that Harry Jones broke away to make matters certain with the third goal. There was no doubting Everton’s superiority in the first half, but there was a lack of finality about their work. Wrexham were much in the picture later when Bremner and Redfern weaved their spells and Jones and Wallbanks gave such honest-to-goodness support. Wrexham might easily have snatched a point when Everton pulled on the reins, and they had fine service from their new goalkeeper, Pritchard; Milburn, younger brother of the two former Leeds United players; Turner, a rare stopper at centre-half and the electric Atkinson,
He Asked to Play
Atkinson is an Army lad who went up to Mr. Tom Williams, the Wrexham assistant manager, and asked for a game. He was given his chance in the “A” team, and played so well that after one game he was drafted into the first team. He has scored five goals in three matches since. Atkinson had several trials with Aston Villa before he joined the Army. There is a curious story behind Pritchard’s debut. The goalkeeper could not be found when the Wrexham team arrived at Goodison, and Mr. Williams had actually borrowed a goalkeeper from Mr. Theo Kelly when he chanced to walk into the dressing room and saw someone sitting there. He asked who was the stranger and received the reply; “I’m Pritchard your new goalkeeper.” Pritchard had been waiting there for two hours! Pleasing feature about Everton’s won apart from the consistent work of Keen, Greenhalgh, Stevenson, and Lyon, was the further advancement of young Owen. For sheer heart and persistence this lad takes some beating –and he is not lacking in football arts. This was not an outstanding game, but the Wrexham folk headed by chairman Mr. John Hughes, and vice chairman Mr. Herbert Pritchard had every reason to feel well satisfied that their boys had put up such a good show and in Cytil Jones they have found a bonny wing half.

November 10, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Wrexham’s visit to Goodison Park provided football’s choicest behind the scenes comedy for a long time. Wrexham had arranged to play Pritchard, at Cardiff City in goal per the recommendation of young James Cardiff’s international forward, but Pritchard didn’t turn up at Wrexham. When the Wrexham folk arrived at Goodison visiting directors brought out Mr. Theo Kelly with an S.O.S for a goalkeeper. George Jackson –remember his grand goalkeeping efforts last season –was contacted and told to get ready to fill the breach. With signs of relief the Wrexham folly resumed to the dressing room to find not ten but eleven players after all. The “Stranger,” was soon identified. It turned out that Pritchard, coming straight to Goodison, had been quietly sitting in the dressing room nearly an hour. The story really ought to continue with Pritchard playing such a “blinder” that Wrexham were enabled to win. As you know, they didn’t though they came near putting off a draw in the second half. Had they done so, Everton would only have had themselves to blame, for they had chances enough in the first half to set up a long lead. Poor finishing pegged them back to a one goal advantage, via an Owen header, Anderson making it two immediately the second half started. Everton apparently decided that was good enough, and so it seemed until Bremner reduced the deficit, which acted as such a tonic to Wrexham that from then on they dig the major portion of the attacking, though as so often ironically happens, it was Everton who increased their score. More “unjust” than usual. Everton’s third goal came straight after Wrexham had a free kick just outside the home penalty area. Jones (H.) making a dash three-parts the length of the field to score. It was not a particularly good game. There was too much aimless kicking and disappointing finishing for that but it had its flashes off good football in the first half and there was some excellent in the second portion when Wrexham were striving hard to get on level terms.

November 11, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The remarkable success of the English representative sides this season is attributed a great deal to the brilliance of the half-backs. Naturally Joe Mercer, Cullis and Goslin come in for most of the praise, but it was Cliff Britton of Everton who took the eye more than any other in the game at Ibrox Park last Saturday when the Army in England beat their colleagues in Scotland 3-1. Cliff has had a remarkable career, for he had been at Goodison Park quite a time before he managed to secure a place in the first team. He them quickly rose to international rank. Yes, and although he was not in the 1938-39 championship side he was still considered so highly that he was never been forgotten for representative honours. Cliff will be in his element next Saturday when he is to captain the Army team against the Royal Air Force at Ashton Gate, Bristol. This will be a proud day for this brilliant exponent of scientific football, for Britton is Bristol bred and born and joined Everton from Bristol Rovers. Cliff is now a sergeant instructor in the Army, and is playing fairly regularly alongside Tommy Lawton in the Aldershot team.

November 12, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Joe Mercer and Tommy Jones, the international half-backs, return to Everton’s team to oppose Wrexham at the racecourse on Saturday in the Football League game. Consequently Jones will be playing against his former colleagues at the ground where he made his name. It was from Wrexham that Everton secured hi in 1938 at a four figure fee. Mercer comes back after another brilliant display for the Army in the match at Ibrox Park. Gordon Watson’s place at left-half will be taken by Eric Keen, of Derby County , Watson is not quite fit, following the ankle operation and so he gets a rest. The attack will be selected from six players, the doubt being on the right flank. Stan Bentham goes back into the attack and he should bearing in mind his three-goal feat against Liverpool, bring the extra punch which was missing last Saturday. Harry Jones’s of West Bromwich Albion will again lead the line, with Stevenson and Lyon forming the left wing. This is a powerful side which should record the Blues third away win of the season. Everton (from); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy), Keen; Anderson, W. Owen, Bentham, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Lyon. Willie Cook has lost the keyless watch presented to him while touring Switzerland with Everton, and would be pleased if the finder would communicate with him.
Knight In Harness
Two weeks ago, I dropped the hint that Wally Knight, the young Burnley inside forward, would shortly be making his debut with Everton. Well, last Saturday he made his first appearance in the familiar blue and played excellently for the reserve side in a friendly. Knight will make his debut at Goodison Park on Saturday, when he plays inside-left in the reserves to oppose Marine in the Liverpool County Combination game. Wally is now in the Royal Navy and should prove an acquisition to the side. Knight is one of the many young players discovered locally by Burnley, and has played many games with the Turf Moor first team. Everton; “A” –Gale; Ireland, Strange; Miller, Kelly, Cheers; Halsall, Seddon, Wyles, Knight, Fowler.

November 12, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton’s Star Side.
Ranger’s Side.
Wrexham F.C stage their most attractive match of the season at the Racecourse on Saturday, when Everton, with five internationals in their side, are the visitors. Everton will have Mercer back at right half and T.G. Jones at centre half, so that the latter will be making another appearance on the ground which first-launched him on his professional career. This Leaves the way clear to play Keen, of Derby County, on the other flank, and as Keen has always been a better attacking then defending half –though his performance last week left nothing missing in the latter department –the intermediate line once more becomes Everton’s strongest section. The backs are unchanged and in goal Everton need have no worries to long as Burnett in available. This young keeper has come on amazingly since he made his senior debut at Chester a couple of season’s back. His handling is sure and confident his anticipation good and he kicks a splendid length. Lovett filled Sagar’s place so well last season that Burnett didn’t get a look in, but so excellently has the latter performed during Lovett’s absence through injury that Lovett will have a job to get his place back. Everton’s only query relates to the attack where six players are named. Team from – Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T.G.), Keen; Anderson, Owen, Bentham, Jones (H.), Stevenson, Lyon. Wrexham will not choose their side until later, but there will be one change at least for Steen joins the R.A.F this week, and will not be available.

November 14, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Sheffield Wednesday, instead of Southport are to meet Everton in the League war Cup qualifying competition which begans on December 27. This is the decision of the Football League which Everton received today. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly could not arrange dates with Southport, who had fixed to play New Brighton on Dec 27 and Jan 3, and as these were Everton’s only vacant dates Mr. Kelly submitted the matter to the League for decision. So Southport lose their Everton fixtures, and Sheffield Wednesday come as an additional attraction to the Everton list –a list which now embraces games with two First Division clubs, two Second Division clubs, and one Third Division club. Here is the complete list of Everton matches for the early cup-ties:- Dec 27, Sheffield Wednesday (away), Jan 3, Sheffield Wednesday (home); Jan 17, Blackburn Rovers (away); Jan 24, Wolves (away); Jan 31, Wolves (home); Feb 7, Burnley (home); Feb 14, Burnley (away); Feb 21, Oldham Athletic (away); Feb 28, Oldham Athletic (Home). Because of the new Everton fixture, Liverpool’s matches with Rochdale have been changed. This will now meet at Anfield on Dec 27 and at Spotlands on Jan 3.

November 14, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will probably hold no fewer than six internationals in their side to meet Wrexham at the Racecourse. Later information is that Walter Boyes home on a week’s leave, will definitely appear alongside his old partner Stevenson and with three grand half-backs like Mercer, Jones and Keen to say nothing of the Blues rear defence. Wrexham have got a pretty stiff task in front of them. Everton came perilously near to throwing the game away last week at Goodison, when Wrexham showed a grand fighting spirit in the closing stages. Even with their stronger team this time they won’t be able to take any liberties and the easy chances in front of goal must not be scorned. The team from Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T.G), Keen; Anderson, Owen, Bentham, Jones (H.), Stevenson, Boyes, Lyon. Wrexham; Pritchard; Milburn, Bellamy; C. Jones, Turner, Wallbank; forwards from Rogers, Lloyd (C.), Swinnerson, Atkinson, Redfern, Lloyd (J). Everton, by the way, had a chance made in their cup-tie opponents. They were unable to come to any arrangement with Southport for the two outstanding games with the Sandgrounders and the Football league have stepped in and palred Everton instead with Sheffield Wednesday on December 27 and January 3, the first of the two games being at Sheffield. As this clashes with the Liverpool-Bury pairings the League have switched these round, so that Liverpool now begin their Cup tie career on December 27, at Anfield. Willie Cook, the Everton footballer has lost a souvenir watch, given him during Everton’s Switzerland tour. As he cannot replace it, he appeals to the finder to return it to Everton F.C., Goodison Park, the watch is self-winding and cannot be repaired locally.

Liverpool Daily Post - Friday 14 November 1941
Teddy Barton, former Everton and Tranmere Rovers footballer, died yesterday after several months’ illness. Barton, who played for Liverpool Schoolboys, then for Everton, and finally for Tranmere, was best-known when captain of the last-named club, and was accepted as one of the fairest half-backs in the game. He retired from football shortly before the war. He was aged about 37.

Saturday 15 November 1941. The Liverpool Evening Express
Mr. B. Howard Baker, of Liverpool, the Ex-Everton amateur goalkeeper and well known sportsman, today sent the following telegram to Mr. A.V. Alexander (First Lord of the Admirably) at Liverpool. “Here is £20,000 for Liverpool's warship week –from one goalkeeper to another.

November 17, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Wrexham 0, Everton 4
Wrexham Subdued.
By Stork.
Wrexham had run Everton to such a close call at Goodison the previous week that they were expected to do even better in their return game at the Racecourse on Saturday, but as things turned out Everton had a much easier task, and the score (4-0) was not flattering. The Welsh team never really got started, and were fighting a losing battle from the start. They could not get weided into a complete whole, and it was soon apparent that Everton had only to produce the shots to round off their clever midfield play to be certain of a convincing victory. Wrexham were outclassed and outwitted by a set of players who changed places quickly and ran into position to take a pass so that football was easy to them. It was the most one-sided game I have seen for an age, and had Everton taken full toll of their scoring chances their total would have run into double figures. Wrexham could not hit back with sufficient power to hold down a sprightly and well-balanced side. There were many missed chances. C. Lloyd and Atkinson missed good opportunities. Everton too missed a lot of chances, yet they were playing high class football. The first goal came in twelve minutes when Stevenson ran through with the Wrexham defence expecting the offside whistle. This goal was the only one of the first half. The second half was one-way traffic –the Everton way, and further goals were scored by Boyes, Mercer, and H. Jones, but the scoring in no way tells of Everton’s superiority. They were always a move or two ahead. Teams:- Wrexham:- Pritchard, goal; Wallbanks and Jones (JE) (Everton), backs; C. Jones, Turner, and Davies (C.), half-backs; C. Lloyd, Atkinson, Swinnerton, Refern and Lloyd, forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.), and Keen (Derby County), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Brom), Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. C. Plinston (Warrington).
• Liverpool beat Chester 4-1 at Anfield, Niewenhuys, Liddell, Polk, Ainsley for Liverpool and Astbury scored twice for Chester.

November 17, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton with a galaxy of pre-war championship stars, had little difficulty in beating Wrexham at the Racecourse. The margin of 4-0 in their favour might have been even greater, but at the same time Wrexham missed some nice chances early on. The Blues played with complete understanding, and charm, with the defence as steady as a rock and the forwards giving delicate touches of soccer’s finer arts. Stevenson, Boyes, Harry Jones, and Mercer were the scorers.

November 17, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Wrexham had done so well at Goodison Park that I went to the Racecourse expecting Everton to have all their work cut out to win, but as things turned out they had a much more comfortable time, for the Welshman were not nearly so good as they had been the previous week. To win by four clear goals to convincing enough, but it does not give a true reflection of Everton’s superiority for they outclassed Wrexham at every point of the game. When one side has complete command of affairs with the opposition doing little of nothing it robs the game of much of its interest, and for that reason the game was not nearly so good as the previous one. Wrexham had flattered only to deceive, for they rarely caused Everton the least anxiety, throughout the ninety minutes. There was only one brief spell when Wrexham promised to damage the Everton goal and such misgive have not been seen at the Racecourse for some considerable time.

November 18, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With one exception-the absence of Torry Gillick on the right wing –Everton will field their pre-war championship forward line in Saturday’s game against Manchester City at Maine-road. Lawton is available to play in the attack, Boyes (on leave) remains as partner to Stevenson and Bentham is at inside right. This is only the fourth time in the last eighteen months that these four have been able to appear simultaneously. The forward line has suffered from the inevitable chopping and changing, but this time we ought to see something like the old striking force in action again. Everton have considerable leeway to make up if they are to be serious challenge for the half-season championship through they have still an outside chance, particularly as their remaining matches are out in duly severe ones,. After the two games with Manchester City they have to meet New Brighton and Stockport. A good return from these six matches would put Everton well among the leaders, but their championship chances are thin, and only outright wins –which is rather too much to expect –would keep them in the running. Tommy Jones unfortunately is not available, so that Harry of the ilk again figures at centre half, where he has done extremely well in previous games, with keen at left half. The rest of the defence is unchanged. Team:- Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (H.), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Everton “A” are home to Automac (3 p.m.) and field the following –Johnson; Ireland, Dugdale; Cheers, Kelly, Watson; Seddon, Owen, Wyles, Knight, and Lyon.

November 18, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Lawton, the England centre forward, returns to lead Everton’s attack against Manchester City at Maine-road on Saturday, when the Blues include seven of their 1939 championship side. Boyes, on leave from the Army will be playing again, and so will Mercer, Cook, and Greenhalgh. Harry Jones moves from centre forward to centre-half for his third game in the position. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Harry), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Everton “A” will be at home to Automac in the Liverpool County Combination. “A” Johnson; Ireland, Dugdale; Cheers, Kelly, Watson; Seddon, Owen, Wyles, Knight, and Lyon.

November 21, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have a splendid opportunity of recording their fourth successive win. On paper they look too good for a Manchester City who at the moment have more than their share of team troubles. As a matter of fact Sam Barkas is the one player Manager Will Wild can count on with certainly. On the other hand Everton will field practically their 1938-39 championship side. Burnett, Harry Jones, Keen and Anderson are the only players who were not in that wonder side. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Harry), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

November 21, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton are due to visit Manchester’s other senior side at Maine Road, for which the Blues will turn out seven of their pre-war side. Lawton returns to lead the forwards, and with Boyes also on leave the front line has the old-time championship look about it. Only Gillick is missing to make it complete. Mercer is at right half which will being further power to the attack, so that there ought to be a much improved display there. City beret as many stars, are not the side there were, and a repetition of Everton’s win on this ground two months back –against United –looks well on the cards. Though Tommy Jones is bound to be missed his namesake Harry, of West Bromwich, has previously shown up well at centre half, and with Keen on the other flank the intermediate and rear defence ought to good enough to hold the City’s moderate attack. When I had a word with Mr. Wilf Wild this week he was a most in despair about raising a side. Part was assumed but some was not, for with City’s players more scattered than those of most clubs, he is having a tough time turning out a team anything like up to standard, even the reduced standard of today. Sam Barkas however is one definite starter. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Harry), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

November 22, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (H.)(West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Owen, Lawton, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Manchester City;- Carey, goal; Walter and Barkes, backs; Eastwood, Charlesworth, and Whist, half-backs; Kirton, Bardsley, Boothway, Currier, and Wilde, forwards. Referee; Mr. R. Murdock, Manchester. There was some good football in the first few minutes without either goalkeeper having a great deal to do, but at five minutes Everton took a goal lead through Lawton who got the City defence on the wrong foot and went through to score a brilliant goal. Lyon should have outside from a good position, and Lawton had a chance deflected at the critical moment. Charlesworth in his effort to relieve the pressure with his pass-back to the goalkeeper almost but the ball into his own goal. The game took a complete change, the City became the more dominating side and at 34 minutes equalised through Boothway. There was no disputing the City’s superiority at this stage and just on the interval Boothway scored a second.
Half-time; Manchester City 2, Everton 1.
Within two minutes of resuming Greenhalgh gave away a penalty, and Boothway, the injured party, got his third goal and hat-trick. A penalty against the City say Lawton reduce the arrears -58 minutes. A few minutes later Lyon nipped throught the City defence to score a third goal for Everton which again levelled matters. Another penalty came Everton’s way, and Lawton put Everton in front. Final; Manchester City 3, Everton 4.

November 24, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Three Penalties
By Stork.
Everton defeated Manchester City at Maine Road by four goals to three in one of the most interesting games of the season. Everton took the lead in five minutes when Lawton ran through to score cleverly. For half an hour or so they held the whiphand but the game then took a turn, and the City from being rather feeble, became strong, and Boothway equalised in 34 minutes. Burnett had to do some hot work before Boothway got through to score a brilliant second goal. There was plenty of entertainment, and when the City took a 3-1 lead through another Boothway goal in 47 minutes as a result of a penalty, it looked all over for Everton. But the game took another turn, this time in Everton’s favour, and it was a penalty goal which set Everton on their recovery match. Lawton was brought down and he himself scored from the spot. Then came a Lyon goal. It was a weakness by the goalkeeper and a full back which allowed the winger to get through and push the ball goalwards. The ball hit the post before going into the net. Another penalty award saw Lawton take the lead for Everton in 63 minutes. The game was as fast at this point as it was at any other star, and there was a keenness about it we have seen for some time. There was more opportunities for the sharpshooter, and the City should have drawn level with almost the last kick of the match when Wyde was through, but missed badly. The crowd 0f 5,290 had their full value. Two of the goals will stand out as brilliant. The first by Lawton and the third by Boothway- a player that Burnett brought off some fine saves. Run of scoring; Lawton five minutes; Boothway 34, 44, and 47; Lawton 55, Lyon 60; Lawton, 63. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (H.)(West Brom), and Watson, half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Owen, Lawton, Stevenson, and Lyon, forwards. Manchester City;- Carey, goal; Walter and Barkes, backs; Eastwood, Charlesworth, and Whist, half-backs; Kirton, Bardsley, Boothway, Currier, and Wilde, forwards. Referee; Mr. R. Murdock, Manchester.
• Liverpool drew 1-1 with Manchester United, Taylor for Liverpool and Smith for Man United.

November 24, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton overcame handicap to win 4-3 at Maine-road, for the second time this season. That sounds curious but it’s a fact. The Blues beat Manchester United there 4-3 some weeks ago and on Saturday they repeated the dose against Manchester City. The Blues staged a grand rally on Saturday to turn the tide after losing 3-1. Boothway having accomplished the hat-trick after Lawton had given Everton an early lead. Then came Lawton and Lyon with the winning goals.

November 24, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton started their game with Manchester City in such convincing manner that they promised to sweep the City right out of the game, especially so when they took a goal lead in five minutes, but many things were about to happen before they ultimately won. It was an amazing game more like a pre-war League match than any other I have seen for there was keen enthusiasm, among players, and spectators alike, three penalties awards and some warnings to players. The game had taken one turn, but it was to take another, this time for Everton, and five minutes saw a complete reversal of things. Two penalties to Lawton and a freakish goal by Lyon, three goals in five minutes took the sting out of the City, who, however, would not admit of defeat and never for one moment did they slacken their pace, so that we saw a fighting finish, two bad misses by Carver and Boothway, which should have been “buried” and a neat lob by Anderson which just missed its mark.

November 26, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Strenuous efforts are being made by Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton, to field a full 1938-39 Football League championship side against Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday. He is out to make this a notable match and a real reunion. It is typical of the enterprise always displayed by Mr. Kelly, who misses no opportunity of putting on something novel. I am in touch with each of the lads who brought the title to Goodison,” said Mr. Kelly when we discussed his project. “Of course, I may not be successful in getting all the players here, but that will not be for the want of trying. Most of the players are in the Services and so will have to get leave, but I feel that I shall get the support of the commanding officer.
The Select Thirteen
There are thirteen players who can claim the proud distinction of being members of that side which outstripped Wolverhampton Wanderers and landed the big honour. Naturally the Blues could not field the same team every week, and part from the eleven which opened the season and went six matches before dropping one must remember that Gordon Watson and Jimmy Caskie came in to play their part. Yes and Everton had two captains Jock Thompson was the first skipper and when he went out through a back injury Billy Cook took over the leadership. Mr. Kelly is trying to get the entire 13, and knowing what a “go-getter” he is, I am certain that he will have out a team which is championship in every sense of the term. Of the 13 players eight are in the Services and the remainder on work of national importance. Of the war workers, Greenhalgh, Bentham and Watson are the Merseyside area, while Torry Gillick and Jimmy Caskie are in Scotland. These two Scottish internationals have been hitting the headlines with Rangers and Hiberians respectively. It is even money that they will be here, but there is a doubt about Tommy Lawton getting away, for he was selected to play for the Southern Command at Aldershot. Ted Sagar is due for leave and is making an effort to bring it forward a few days to enable him to play. Ted is in Northern Ireland, while Jock Thomson is in Scotland. Mr. Kelly is expects acceptances from day to day and I will keep you posted how things are going. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Thomson; Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes, Caskie.

November 26, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton May Turn out Championship Side.
Ranger’s Notes
Whether he will be successful or not remains to be seen, but Mr. Theo Kelly is endeavouring to field Everton’s full pre-war championship side for the return game with Manchester City at Goodison, on Saturday. Eight of the thirteen players named as probables are in the Forces, so that the question of leave will be the deciding factor. Some are due for it already and in the case of others, such as Sagar for instance, who is in Ireland an effort as being made to bring their leave reward a week or two. Service claims come first, but if Everton can field anything like the side, Mr. Kelly has to mind then we can look for the biggest gate of the season at Goodison. Gillick and Caskie, who have been assisting Rangers and Hiberian respectively are endeavouring to get down for the game. Caskie came into the side for a few games at the tail end of the championship side. There is a doubt about Lawton who was selected recently to lead an Army side this coming week-end. Mr. Kelly hopes he will be released for the special occasion. Jock Thomson skipper of the side in that notable season just before the war is another probable. Out of the thirteen names there are six already certain and three or four at least at the others are expected to manage it, so that Goodison followers look like being in for a rare treat. Maybe more definite news will be forthcoming before Saturday. Meatime the probable wants read impressive as follows; Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Thomson; Watson; Gillick, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes, Caskie.

November 28, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton they have just a faint outside chance of slipping into the breach if the leaders falter sand considering they have won their last four game outright, and are now fielding stronger sides than hitherto the possibility must not be entirely overlooked. Tomorrow the signs look promising for an Everton victory, for they anticipate having an even stronger side out than that which brought full points from Maine road last week. Mr. Kelly’s hopes of turning out the pre-war championship side are not to be fulfilled. It was to much to expect these days, and the club is fortunate that it can turn out so strong a team as it is doing. At the moment seven of the titular side are certain starters, Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Mercer, Thomson, Bentham, and Stevenson. Tommy Jones and Gillick are possible while Lawton and Caskie are definitely out. City also will have a strong side out, including Peter Doherty, who, Mr. Wilf Wild informs me is a certain starter, and Clark and Dunkey, of the pre-war team. Fenton the West Ham forward is also playing. Altogether this match promises to provide some fine football, and another welcome spot of the old-time atmosphere. Teams; Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T.G.), Thomson, Keen; Gillick (or Anderson), Bentham, Jones (H.). Stevenson, Lyon. Manchester City; Carey; Clark, Walker; Eastwood, Charlesworth, Walsh; Dunkley, Fenton, Boothway, Doherty, Wilde.

November 28, 1941. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There will be a parade of football stars at Goodison Park tomorrow, when Everton meet Manchester City in the return Football League game, in which Everton hope to record their fifth successive victory. Manchester City come with Irish international Doherty and a host of guest stars in the hope of upsetting an Everton team which had the real 1938-39 championship look. At the moment no fewer than seven of the team which brought Everton the title in the last pre-war season are certainities. They are Sagar, Cook, Greenhalgh, Mercer, Thomson, Bentham, and Stevenson. Tommy Jones is also a probable but definite word has not been received, and Torry Gillick is waiting permission to leave his work before making the journey south. Neither Caskie not Lawton can get away, so Lyon will be outside-left and Harry Jones at centre forward, Anderson and Keen will be standing by in case of emergency. Apart from Doherty, the City include Fenton, of West Ham, Charlesworth of Grimsby Town and Carey of Aston Villa. This is a game which should attract a gate bordering on 10,000, which would be a fitting reward for the enterprise in bringing these stars together. Teams; Everton (from); Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T.G.), Thomson, Keen; Gillick (or Anderson), Bentham, Jones (H.). Stevenson, Lyon. Manchester City; Carey; Clark, Walker; Eastwood, Charlesworth, Walsh; Dunkley, Fenton, Boothway, Doherty, Wilde.

November 29, 1941. The Evening Express
Smashing Win over City
George Mutch the Preston North End and Scottish international forward was a surprise in Everton’s team against Manchester City at Goodison Park, where the Blues fielded eight internationals and seven of the pre-war championship side. Mutch played inside-right, Bentham going on the wing, while Keen was at centre-half. Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Keen (Derby County), and Thomson, half-backs; Bentham, Mutch (Preston North End), Jones (Harry) (West Bromwich), Stevenson, and Lyon, forward. Manchester City:- Carey (Aston Villa), goal; Clark and Walker, backs; Eastwood, Charlesworth (Grimsby Town), and Walsh, half-backs; Dunkley, Fenton (West Ham United), Boothway, Doherty, and A. Wilde, forwards. Referee; Mr. W.H. E. Evans (R.A.F). Everton opened in deadly mood, and a quick push-through by Bentham saw the ball flash across the face of the City goal. Everton were exceptionally quick both to and in possession, but that the City were on their toes was proved by a brilliant header from Fenton which Sagar leapt to and turned around the post. Everton were the more aggressive side and Carey had to run out to save at the feet of Harry Jones. Mutch took over from Bentham and placed against the side netting before Lyon had a shot charged down. Clark was injured, but was soon able to resume and Everton went away to take the lead in 11 minutes through Stevenson, Thomson had robbed Fenton and he pushed the ball to the side for Greenhalgh to lob it into the goalmouth. Stevenson raced forward past Charlesworth and as Carey ran out he neatly headed the ball downwards into the net. The diminutive profited by some nice passing by Doherty, but three centres in succession passed across the Everton goal without finding a City forward to apply the finishing touch.
Everton Escape
There was a gasp when Sagar failed to gather Walker’s long free kick, but the ball passed outside, with Boothway charging in bent on business. Keen was prominent with some nippy interventions at the expense of Boothway, then Stevenson took over from Jones to beat three men and shoot inches wide. The City went close when Boothway shot from ten yards, but Sagar beat the ball away to one side and then fell on it as Boothway followed up. Cook saved a certain goal with a brilliant tackle off Boothway, but Everton continued in command serving up some delightful football, with the ball being kept moving accurately to position. In 28 minutes Everton were two ahead, Jones being the scorer. Mutch made the score possible for he dribbled through cleverly and glided the ball forward for Jones to take it on the run and hook it into the net. Four minutes later Everton were three up. Mercer centred low from the wing, and Mutch quickly shot in low through a crowd of players, Eastwood was standing on the goalline, and the ball touched his foot and went into the net. Everton continued much the better side, although Walsh was responsible for engineering some dangerous City thrusts which were excellently repelled by an Everton defence which never faltered. Three minutes before the interval Bentham added Everton’s fourth goal, although all the credit went to Harry Jones, who beat two men in the penalty are to enable Bentham to score easily.
Half-time; Everton 4, Manchester City 0
Everton did not take long in settling down to their delightful collaborative football again and in eight minutes after the resumption they were five up. Mutch was dribbling through when Walker brought him down, and sure-fire Cook made no mistake with the penalty. Boothway continued the more serious menace to Everton’s supremacy, yet he missed two grand chances before Sagar saved from Fenton. The “Blues” eased up for a spell and the City attackers were quick to take advantage, but apart from two shots by Walsh and one from Wilde, which hit the side netting, they gave little hope of breaking down a defence which was displaying as much understanding as the attack. The Everton forwards got down to their work again in 66 minutes when Jones took over after a strong right wing approach, and enabled Stevenson to score with an unstoppable shot. Everton came again, and after Carey had come out to hold up Lyon, who had run through solo, the ball quickly returned for Lyon, who scored a seventh goal in 71 minutes. In 85 minutes Mercer cut out the work for Mutch to go on and bring the total to eight. One minute from time Jones added Everton’s ninth goal.
Final; Everton 9, Manchester City 0

November 29, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Season’s Biggest Win at Goodison
By Stork.
Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Keen (Derby County), and Thomson, half-backs; Bentham, Mutch (Preston North End), Jones (Harry) (West Bromwich), Stevenson, and Lyon, forward. Manchester City:- Carey (Aston Villa), goal; Clark and Walker, backs; Eastwood, Charlesworth (Grimsby Town), and Walsh, half-backs; Dunkley, Fenton (West Ham United), Boothway, Doherty, and A. Wilde, forwards. Referee; Mr. W.H. E. Evans (R.A.F).Everton’s pressure told its tale at the 11th minute, for Stevenson ran through and just beat Carey. He got his head to the ball just as the goalkeeper was going to sweep it to safety. There was little power behind the header, but there was no one in goal, and the ball slowly travelled over the line. Everton defender had to cut out promising movements by the City forwards, in which Doherty stood out. Stevenson was a glutton for shooting and had three quick attempts in succession all with the surprise element attached. At 29 minutes, Everton increased their lead, H. Jones snapping up a running ball, and cleverly beating Carey. Another minute and the Everton score stood as three goals, Mercer centred and in the scuffle to get the ball away Eastwood put it into his own goal. Bentham scored a fourth goal. Half-time; Everton 4, Manchester City 0. Cook scored a fifth after 52 minutes from a penalty. Then came goals from Stevenson, Lyon and Mutch, to give Everton their biggest win this season.

November 1941