Everton Independent Research Data


November 1, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 4, Wrexham 2
Wrexham Beaten At Goodison
T.G. Jones Shines
By Ranger.
Everton registered their first double of the season by defeating Wrexham 4-2 at Goodison Park before 9,500 spectators (receipts £591) in a game which was notable for the number of scoring chances missed by both sides. Everton were the better combination in the first half, apart from a hectic five minutes just before the interval when Wrexham, striking back in great style against a 3-1 deficit, called on Burnett to make three brilliant saves in as many minutes. Prior to that Wyles had done the hat-trick for Everton, and Reid had reduced the margin. Wyle’s first goal was the outcome of an attack started by T.G. Jones carried on by Stevenson and McIntosh, and finished off when Stevenson placed the ball beautifully to the centre-forward’s head for him to nod it in. The second goal came straight from a Wrexham corner, and when McIntosh made a long punt up the field the visiting defence delayed a vital fraction of a second to appeal for offside, and thus gave Wyles the opportunity to make an unchallenged solo run. The centre forward’s third goal, at the twenty-fourth minute was from a Bentham pass and before it came, Reid headed through to reduce the lead for Wrexham.
Good Openings Missed
The visitors rearranged their attack in the second half. Simms going centre forward, Reid outside right, while Livingstone –who had ricked himself earlier on –changed places with White. Though Livingstone, who hitherto had been Wrexham’s star marksman, was not so dangerous on the wing the changes brought improvement and Wrexham’s attack gave the home defence plenty to do. Their finishing however, was weak, and several times good openings went begging. At the seventy-fifth minute Hughes made it 3-2, when Burnett was unsighted and a moment later Simms missed the easiest of changes to put the side level. With ten minutes to go Bentham scored a fourth goal for Everton from what seemed an offside position, though presumably the ball touched a defender before reaching him. It was a patchy sort of game with some good football interspersed with much that was not so good. Though he got three goals Wyles was not impressive. Lowe gave an excellent display, as also did Grant, and Stevenson and McIntosh again paired off well, but the man of the match was T.G.Jones, who adopted an attacking role more frequently than usual. Wrexham’s best defender was Savage, who served up a grand exhibition after an indifferent start. The wing halves were particularly good in the second portion, while Livingstone up to his injury, was a constant menace with his first time shooting. Reid was a disappointment even allowing for his disability. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (jack) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Jones (Tom) (captain), and Hallard, half-backs; Lowe, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Wrexham;- Jones (John), goal; Jones (Cyril) and Savage, backs; Hughes, Stuttard and Hill (Arsenal)(captain), half-backs; Simms, Jones (Victor) (Derby County), Reid, Livingstone, and White, forwards. Referee. Mr. J. Williams.
• Liverpool lost 1-0 to Manchester United, McKays scored for Manchester United.

November 1, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s 4-2 victory over Wrexham –their first double of the season –was not a very convincing one, and again chief credit goes to the defence for the points. The rearguard stood firm in the second half when Wrexham, with a reorganised attack, threatened to pull the game out of the fire at a 3-1 deficit and Burnett had to produced some first class saves to preserve Everton’s lead. Both sides were remiss with easy chances in front of goal. Everton being the worst offenders. Time and again when a first time effort might have brought a goal they fiddled and finessed until the defence had got back into position. The chances were there for the taking, but were scorned for want of enterprise. Though Wyles registered a hat-trick, he was not impressive. He took too long to get the ball to his liking and also fell to easily into the offside trap. Lowe gave a good display. He has got speed and ball control and can shoot but needs to vary his style occasionally and take the ball through on the inside of the defender. Grant, too, was excellent. He is a real terrier for work. Pity these two were not a wee bit bigger. I don’t mind ‘em small so long as the ball is kept on the ground, but one of Everton’s faults latterly has been too much air-ball and not enough foot-ball, and the little fellows are always at a disadvantage then. Tommy Jones leads the way in trying to keep the ball on the turf, but hasn’t enough initiators. “T.G” was much more of an attacking pivot than usual, and gave another sterling exhibition. He’s the Stanley Matthews of defenders though his goal-area dribbles sometimes give one a heart attack. Reid was a disappointment in the Wrexham attack, even allowing for his injury. With a sharp-shooting centre-forward the Welsh side’s record would soon improve. Livingstone looks the man for the job, for he is a rare opportunist and a very strong shooter, but Wrexham tell me he doesn’t like the middle. It was a patchy game, with some good stuff mixed up with a lot this was only mediocre and a big proportion of miscarried passes. Savage ex-Liverpool was Wrexham’s star defender after a shaky start, with Hill and Hughes distinguishing themselves in the second half White and Livingstone were tip-top.

November 1, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton scored their second win in succession when they defeated Wrexham 4-2 at Goodison Park on Saturday, and they were guilty of only one error. Now to that Everton error. Once again –and believe me, they did it too often last season –they were guilty of easing up once they had established a winning lead. Instead of forcing home their advantage they took risks-and almost paid the penalty. Only a miracle prevented Wrexham from drawing level after being 3-1 down. Skipper Tommy Jones must take a lot of the blame for it was he who urged on by a two goal advantage, began to wander up the field goal-seeking and so left a gap in defence through which the enterprising White and Livingstone dashed like lightning. Once drawn from his ground Tommy could not always get back, and but for brilliant work by Jack Jones and Greenhalgh –back to his best form –the Blues may not have survived Wrexham’s long second-half siege. Definitely Wrexham were on top in the second half, and with a little more accuracy in finishing they would have turned defeat into victory. That of course, would have been am injustice to Everton, who were comfortable masters for an hour, and only denied a high goal tally by the brilliance of John Jones in the Wrexham goal, and some perfect marking and tackling by the defence. On this showing I rate Wrexham a much better side than their record shows and Chairman Mr. John Hughes, who came with Messrs Herbert Pritchard, Manelay and Tom Williams directors has every right to be proud of their gallant battlers. They did not deny Everton’s right to victory, but felt delighted their players had fought well.
Wyles Hat-Trick.
It was a pity Tom Jones had a touch of the wanderlust for this marred what would have been the ideal exhibition of centre half play. For the first hour the Wrexham forwards could make nothing of the international but when they were given latitude it was a different story. Chief honours in the scoring line went to Cecil Wyles who in 15 minutes in the first half, scored the hat-trick and heartily thanked Stevenson, McIntosh and Bentham for the openings. In between Reid nodded one home for Wrexham, but was then injured and was no more than a passenger for the rest of the game. Yet Wrexham’s four sound forwards hammered away at the Everton defence to great purpose and Hughes scored from a corner. Then a Simms header passed almost along the goalline without going in. It was almost unbelievable. Just when Wrexham looked as if they would pull it out of the bag Stuttard just touched a long up-the-middle-pass to play Bentham onside and so Bentham went along to slam it home and change the entire complexion. The wing half work in this entertaining game was a feature Young Jack Grant proved a real winner and Hallard had a fine match, linking up with the magician Stevenson and the forceful McIntosh in easy style. Bentham worked like a Trojan and served 17-year-old Lowe well. Yes, and Lowe responded in a manner which proved the lad is going places. Wyles did his part well and there was never a fault with backs or goalkeeper. Apart from Livingstone and White captain Hill, Hughes, Stuttard and Cryil Jones were grand for the Welshmen. Make a note of Cyril Jones. Here is a star of the future. Yes, and Ted Savage showed he has still retained his speed and skill. This was enjoyable lare in front of exactly 9,500 spectators, presided over by Chairman Mr. Will Gibbins and it had a crowning joy for me in the private boardroom re-union of our old travelling party of pre-war days Messrs Green, Kelly and Edwards with whom travelled hundreds of miles in search of soccer thrills and myself got together again for half-an-hour and revived the old days. It was a tonic.

November 4, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Everton, underlined about the composition of their defence for the game with Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park, have named, seven players from whom the final rearguard selection will be made. Burnett is in goal, J.V. Humphreys is available and Gordon Watson who has played for the last three week’s in the second sting, reports that his hitherto troublesome ankle injury them at last to have branded thoroughly. Sam Jones who hasn’t played since he was hurt in the Army international at Belfast also report fit, but in his case Everton have to wait until they hear whether Blackpool need him. So far as the attack in concerned. Everton will be considebly strengthened by the return of Tommy Lawton, the line otherwise being the same Team;- from; Burnett, Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh, Jones (S.), Grant, Jones (T.G.), Humphreys, Watson; Lowe, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Everton Reserves (v. At Napier); Birkett; Benshaw, (or Woodcock), Moore; Ashley, McDonnell, G. Brown; Linaker, Wainwright, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Ringstead, (or Higgins).

November 4, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are certain to place an attractive team in the held for next Saturday’s local “Derby” game with Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park. True, there are doubts at the present moment, but the material at the disposal of Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly ensures a team rich in talent and personality. Let me deal with the two certain sections of the team first George Burnett will be in goal, and turning to the attack we find only one change from the line, which scored four goals against Wrexham last week. This is the return to centre forward of England’s leader Tommy Lawton. Young Billy Lowe from Haydock, who so delighted the club followers last Saturday retains the outside right position-a deserving honour Stan. Bentham partners him, while the immitable Stevenson, McIntosh wing remains in “Harrness.” Mr. Kelly names seven players for the full back and half-backs divisions, and it is interesting to note that Gordon Watson is included again Watson has been kept out of the game became on an ankle injury, but he has now come through three successive games with the Reserves without further trouble, and indications are that he is again “sound in, wind and limb.” Jack Humphreys, the former English Universities centre-half now in the Army is home to leave and will be included, Humphreys is one of Everton’s most notable war-time discoveries, and his consistency has had not a little to do with Chelsea’s rise to eminence this season. The Londoners have been much impressed with this lad from Rhyl. Sam Jones the Irish international, is included and his appearance depends, I presume, on the requirement of his own club, Blackpool if Sam gets no call to be at Blackburn then he will be okay, for this game-either for half-back or full-back. Everton (from); Burnett; Jones (jack), Greenhalgh; Jones (Sam), Grant, Jones (Tom), Humphreys, Watson; W. Lowe, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Just an urgent reminder that applications are pouring in for the England-Scotland international match at Goodison Park on December 4, and that soccerites can help themselves and Mr. Kelly by getting in their applications as early as possible. I can tell you that there will be one guinea sections on both the Goodison-road and Bullens-road stands and not merely on Bullens-road stand as stated in some quarters. Mr. Kelly asks that as many as possible will make personal applications for tickets, which are now on sale at Messrs, Jack Sharp’s as well as Goodison Park. This will make for easier distribution. Tickets will be supplied to secretaries of the various work welfare and social clubs if the secretaries will contact Mr. Kelly. They will obviate individual workers having to apply. Throughout yesterday there was a steady stream of applications at Goodison Park so further delay is courting disappointment.
Everton Reserves (v. At Napier); Birkett; Benshaw, (or Woodcock), Moore; Ashley, McDonnell, G. Brown; Linaker, Wainwright, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Ringstead, (or Higgins).
Everton Colts v. Bromborough Port, at Orrell-lane, 3-15); Prince; Melling, Lever; Barrett, S. Cox, Lamb; P. Turner, P. Taylor, Lane, G. Scott, Daulby.

November 5, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
The local enthusiasts are fortunate in that both Everton and Tranmere will have a number of their prime favourities back for they in a game which reads good for Everton, but which may bring us another surprise just as last season. On November 14 last term Everton were leading the Rovers 3-0 at Goodison Park and eased up. The Rovers came with such a fight back that they not only draw level, but went on to win 5-3 for one of the most sensational victories of the season. Candidly I do not anticipate history repeating itself, but against Wrexham last Saturday, the writing was there on the wall for Everton too see. Two goals in hand against he Welshmen, the Blues began to slackened off, and they were in dire danger until they clinched the game in a breakway. Everton may be superior in football ability, but they must never forget to make every allowance for the enthusiasm and spirit of their Third Division rivals. The Rovers are riding high at the moment, having won four of the last five matches, after going four games without a single point. Tomorrow they field one of their strongest teams of the season, for Lew Ashcroft and Abe Rosenthal will be in the attack. Arthur Owen back in defence, and the three Scottish stars –Hyslop and F. And E. Murphy –on parade. There is danger in that side. Of course, Everton are also better off in team power for Tommy Lawton returns to lead the attack, and is certain of a warm re-welcome from local fans to celebrate his four goals against Scotland in addition Jack Humphreys will be here again after a spell with Crystal Palace. The exact constitution of the defence and half-back line will not be settled until later, but Sam Jones, the Blackpool Irish international, is a certain starter in a game which should produce a grand struggle from three o’clock onwards. Incidentally a win for Everton will place them within striking distance of the leaders. Everton (from); Burnett; Jones (Jack), Greenhalgh, Jones (Sam); Grant, Jones (Tom), Humphreys; W. Lowe, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Tranmere Rovers;- Threllfall; Hyslop, Owen; Hill, Steve Hughes, Kieran; Ashcroft, Rosenthal, Glidden, F.Murphy, E. Murphy.

November 5, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Whenever Everton supporters are inclined to be patronising to Tranmere followers the latter ask; “Do you remember the fourteenth of November”? Just as, one imagines, the Normans used to remind the Angle Saxtons of 1066 and all that, or as Sassenachs causally mention Flodden Field when at Hampdan Park-though the latter is sometimes a dangerous pastime. It was on November 14 last year that Tranmere came and saw and conquered at Everton eleven at Goodison Park that contained six of the Blues pre-war championship side. It was the old story, but one which is too often still new with Everton. After establishing a 3-0 lead they thought it was “in the bag” started their fancy business and found Tranmere’s persistency and determination turn defeat into victory. They will have to take no such liberties tomorrow, for the Rovers, who latterly have been on the crest of the wave –bar one”ducking” –will be keen to prove their contention that there isn’t the difference today between First and Thirds that there was once. Everton will be stronger in attack for the return of Lawton; if young Lowe does as well as last week there will be no weakness there, while the Stevenson-McIntosh duo can lead the best of defences a merry dance on their day. Sam Jones is a certain starter, but there is a doubt about T.G. Jones, Watson is not now included. . Everton (from); Burnett; Jones (Jack), Greenhalgh, Jones (Sam); Grant, Jones (Tom), Humphreys; W. Lowe, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Tranmere Rovers;- Threllfall; Hyslop, Owen; Hill, Steve Hughes, Kieran; Ashcroft, Rosenthal, Glidden, F.Murphy, E. Murphy.

November 6, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
A Hat-Trick Against Tranmere.
By Stork.
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Jones (S) (Blackpool), half-backs; Lowe, Bentham, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Tranmere Rovers;- Threlfall, goal; Hyslop, Owen, and Price, half-backs; Hodgson, Kieran, Wheeler, Hill (Everton), Glidden, Bridges, and Jackson, forwards. Referee; Mr. T. Bentley, of Manchester. Everton brought in Humphreys for T.G. Jones for their game with Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park. Tommy tells me that he has not been feeling too grand for a few weeks. The Rovers had also a change at centre half, Hodson appearing for Anderson as pivot. The Rovers in their first attack looked a danger, and were a danger for Glidden who has been scoring goals with great regularly in the last few weeks was nicely put through by Bridges, and had it not been for a determined intervention by Greenhalgh he must assuredly have given Burnett something to do even had he failed to score.
Two For Lawton.
Greenhalgh and McIntosh played their part in the making of the first goal, the winger’s centre soaring across the Tranmere goes face and on to Lawton, who rose a tremendous height to contact the ball with his head and direct it into the net. That was at eight minutes. Six minutes later Everton were leading 2-0 and again Lawton was the scorer. Sam Jones made the play for this, and Lawton had to race for his pass and at the same time bear an opponent and then shoot out a right foot to direct the ball to the right side of the goal left vacant by goalkeeper Threlfall. The Rovers rarely got clear of defence for Everton’s attack was most persistent. Lowe was responsible for two shots from centres which Threlfall handled capably.
Lawton Hat-Trick.
At the half-hour Everton scored a third goal, and again it was Lawton who found the target. He shot from just outside the penalty area, and Threllfall was beaten by the pace of the shot. Little had been seen of the Rovers’ attack but in one spell they did trouble the Everton defence with shots from Bridges, Hill, and Jackson, but it was Bridges who ultimately reduced the arrears. He snapped up a back-pass by Glidden and without hesitation drove the ball at good pace beyond Burnett.
Half-Time; Everton 3, Tranmere Rovers 1.
Stevenson was put through to McIntosh so what should have been certain goal, but the Irishman missed from a few yards out. He made amends a minute later when Lawton offered him the ball on a plate, as it were, and Stevenson this time was successful. After Hill had forced Burnett to save, Bentham headed a fifth goal from McIntosh’s centre. Threllfall got his hands to the ball but was unable to stay its progress.
Lowe Injured.
Lawton scored the sixth goal at the sixty-second minute. Lowe who had played with promise hereabouts was injured in a tackle and I fear it was a case of a broken leg, which is unfortunate for so promising a boy. At sixty-four minutes J.E. Jones made a past back to his goalkeeper, but before the ball could reach Burnett Glidden got in first and scored a second goal for the Rovers. McIntosh shot hard and strong and Threllfall pushed the ball out, but pushed it right to the foot of Lawton who sent it back into the net for his fifth of Everton’s seven goals at 65 minutes. Bentham beat Threlfall at the 78th minute. I heard that Lowe has been taken to hospital for examination. McIntosh scored the ninth at 87 minutes. Final; Everton 9, Tranmere Rovers 2.

November 6, 1943. The Evening Express
Lawton Scores Five Goals.
By Pilot.
Humphreys and Sam Jones the Blackpool Irish International, returned to Everton’s team for the match with Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park today. Tommy Jones was present but told me he had not been feeling too well lately; and that was the reason for his absence. Arthur Owen returned to lead the Rovers, while Jackson was at outside left and Wheeler, from the Colts team was at outside right. Hodgson was at centre-half and Hill who is on loan from Everton, was at inside right. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Jones (S) (Blackpool), half-backs; Lowe, Bentham, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Tranmere Rovers;- Threlfall, goal; Hyslop, Owen, and Price, half-backs; Hodgson, Kieran, Wheeler, Hill, (Everton) Glidden, Bridges, and Jackson, forwards. Referee; Mr. T. Bentley, of Manchester. Lawton captained Everton and almost took a goal in the first minute, driving in the first time from Lowe’s past to strike the side netting. Hodgson menaced by Lawton, turned the ball over his own bat for safely and after Threlfall had run out to pick up, he gathered a well placed centre from Lowe. Jackson slipped Glidden through and it was fortunate for Everton that Greenhalgh was there to cover Humphreys or Glidden, might have improved on his thirteen in-five games record.
Everton Lead.
In eight minutes Everton took the lead through Lawton, McIntosh had gamed a corner, but this was cleared and the ball was whipped out to the left again. McIntosh centred immediately –a perfect ball –direct to Lawton, who headed into the far corner. When Lawton was going through Owen tackled at the right moment to force the international to place over, and after Glidden had won a corner off Humphreys the ball was whipped up the middle to Lawton, who forged ahead and just as Owen tackled, drove into the net for Everton’s second goal in 14 minutes. Everton kept up the pressure, McIntosh placing inches over before Bentham was a foot wide with a first time effort. Stevenson hooked over the top, before Bentham and McIntosh dived full length in an effort to reach a fast low centre from Lowe. Everton were given the spectators an entertainment in tactics and positional sense, the Rovers inclining to over-eagerness. Bridges tried to get Wheeler moving but the Rovers had to be content with a corner. Lawton completed his hat-trick in 30-minutes with a really grand shot from just inside the penalty area.
Fine Work
Everton had still been calling the tune with Lowe and Grant doing fine work on the right, and the ball was pushed through for Lawton, to make ground, bring the ball to his right foot and drive low into the corner. Threlfall having no chance. It was exactly 32 minutes before Tranmere levelled their first shot. Then Glidden took over from Bridges to place high up, but Burnett made a neat catch. Lawton almost made it four when he neatly glided the ball pass the advancing Threlfall but the ball rolled the wrong side of the post. Next Threlfall saved high up from McIntosh and Glidden threw the Everton defence out of position to open up the way for Bridges, who, however, was headed off by Jack Jones as he was about to shoot. Threlfall held a fast one from Bentham, and after some precise work by Glidden, and Wheeler, Burnett saved at close range from Jackson. The Rovers kept at it, Burnett saving from Hill. In 42 minutes the Rovers reduced the lead with a fine goal by Bridges. Everton had poorly used three throws-in and Glidden got away to draw Humphreys. The in-running yelled for the pass, got it, and drove into the top corner with his left foot, in brilliant style.
Half-time; Everton 3, Tranmere 1.
Tranmere made a couple of brief raids on resuming, Burnett saving from Glidden and Bridges, but it was not long before Everton were back hammering away at their goal. In 49 minutes Stevenson hooked through from a lovely pass by Lawton, and two minutes later Sam Jones ran through and turned the ball in for Bentham to head just under the bar. Glidden was off the mark with a close up free kick, and Burnett saved low down from Bridges before Bridges struck the foot of the post. Lowe and Stevenson got the Tranmere defence tied up in knots, and when Stevenson centred McIntosh returned the ball for Lawton to place through at close range. This goal came in 62 minutes. Two minutes later Everton lost Lowe, who was injured in a collision and was carried off.
Lead Reduced.
Everton continued to press, but it was the Rovers who gained the next reward for, with Everton slackening off, Glidden and Bridges got clear and Glidden reduced the lead with a hook pass the advancing Burnett. This goal came in 67 minutes, but it was negatived in 71 minutes when Lawton crashed the ball home after Threlfall had dived to push the ball out from McIntosh. Everton made it eight in 78 minutes when Bentham ran to drive home a centre from McIntosh. Lowe, I ascertained was taken to hospital for examination. Three minutes from time Sam Jones and McIntosh, went through brilliantly for McIntosh to score Everton’s ninth goal. Final; Everton 9, Tranmere Rovers 2.

November 8, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 9, Tranmere Rovers 2.
Everton’s Fine Football
By Stork.
When one side scores a runaway success-9-2 for Everton in this instance –the game usually loses some of its attraction because of its one-sidedness, but this was not so in the Everton. Tranmere Rovers match at Goodison Park. Everton served up some fine football with Tranmere trying desperately hard against big odds. The Rovers never gave up trying, and they had reason to have done long before the end, for they were completely overwhelmed. Lowe, the Everton winger, sustained a fractured right leg, in a tackle and were taken to Walton Hospital, where he will remain for some time. Had Everton taken all their chances their victory would have been almost doubled. Great shots were the ball sweeping by the woodwork. Other shots were saved, many were missed for poor marksmanship, but throughout all this spate of scoring the Rovers kept pegging away at their unenviable task. In thirty minutes Everton were three goals up –it should have been more –unlike last year they did not deign to take things easily to find themselves beaten. They kept up an endless attack, Tranmere could not master the Everton attack, which cut through their defence with an ease and grace. Everton’s forwards played finely and even the player who did not score –Lowe- had a hand in the making of several of the goals and was unlucky not to have scored himself.
Lawton’s Lead.
It was to Lawton, however, to whom chief credit must go. He scored five of the nine goals, but he did more than that, he kept the line moving smoothly, and his colleagues responded to his promptings. He was deadly near goal and Tranmere’s centre were so concerned in keeping an eye on him, that the others in the line were often allowed a loose rein. Further behind this forward line were fine half-backs and stout defenders. If ever there was a case of attack, being the best form of defence this was it. That the Rovers got two goals speaks well for their determination. Had they lost heart completely no one would have blamed them. Lawton got a further two goals, Bentham a couple and Stevenson and McIntosh one each. McIntosh dribbled his way hither and thither to make good centres, and Lowe up to the time of his unfortunate accident was well up to the standard of his colleagues. In fact, I should say this 17-year-old boy is the best outside right Everton have had since the days of Gillick. Everton gave an excellent exhibition of combined football. The Rovers were determined if nothing else, and it was this determination which brought Bridges his goal –a great shot –and Glidden his goal through a faulty back pass to Burnett. Here are the times of scoring;- Lawton 8 minutes, Lawton 14, Lawton 30, Bridges 42, Stevenson 49, Bentham 51, Lawton 62, Glidden 64, Lawton 65, Bentham 78, McIntosh 87. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Jones (S) (Blackpool), half-backs; Lowe, Bentham, Lawton (captain), Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Tranmere Rovers;- Threlfall, goal; Hyslop, Owen, and Price, half-backs; Hodgson, Kieran, Wheeler, Hill (Everton), Glidden, Bridges, and Jackson, forwards. Referee; Mr. T. Bentley, of Manchester.
• Liverpool lost 3-1 at Chester. Welsh for Liverpool and Newsome (2), Loxham for Chester.

November 8, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton were in one of those moods when they refused to allow anything to stop them in their game with Tranmere Rovers, at Goodison Park (writes Stork). The forwards were at their brightest and best, both in shooting and combined play. By their delightful passing they made openings with ease, and with Lawton in international form, there could only be one result –a spate of goals which the Rovers defence battle how it would could not prevent. It was like old times –championship times –to see the Everton players pirouetting down the field with ball at toe and then despatch it to a point which had the Rovers’ defence out positioned. From the opening whistle one could almost sense what was about to happen. Everton form was a forecast of what was to follow, and what was anticipated did happen, the complete overwhelming of the Tranmere defences. Gallantly Hodgson, Owen and Hyslop battled to prevent the debacle knowing in their for too much weight was thrown against them. I won’t attempt to describe the eleven goals but suffice it to say that there were some grand shots, and Bridges’s goal was as good as any of them. Lawton was in tremendous form. With head or foot he was deadly, and his three goals in half an hour prevented any notion of a Tranmere surprise. The Everton attack has not played better for an age, and the unfortunate Lowe, who was takes to hospital with a broken leg, was well up to the form of his partners. He filled the outside position better than any since Torry Gillick. Right across the line there was unity of purpose. With the forwards in such rampant form, the defence had a comparatively easy time, but the half back line was not to be left out, for they gave the forwards grand support and all three Sam Jones, Humphreys and Grant were attackers as well as defenders.

November 8, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It was not so much the win of Everton over Tranmere Rovers at Goodison Park as the manner of their winning which made this such an enjoyable 90 minutes. Granted that the game was too one-sided to produce the competitive thrills, but Everton won in such an entertaining way that it was always high standard value. The Blues got nine goals, but it might easily have been more had they carried through all their attacks. That, however, would only have been rubbing it in to a side upset by late changes and who, after all, were battlers every inch of the way. Let me emphasise that the Rovers were made to look poorer than they are really by the ease and grace with which Everton did their work and it was just that a lot of the Tranmere best work was dimmed by the lustre of this joyous football of the real Everton vintage. Granted that the Blues forwards had a field day, but their victory was in reality built up on the solidity of their full backs, Norman Grenehalgh and Jack Jones. From the very outset these lads took command of the Rovers wings and damped the “touch papers” of the “rocket” the Rovers are wont to produce at Goodison. That early feeling of mastery was a rock on which Everton could build and they did so in delightful style. Tommy Lawton’s brilliant marksmanship five super goals –and leadership of the line and team –was another highly important factor, but a third carrier of joy to the Blues and blues to the Rovers was the lack of confidence on the part of the Rovers to hold a ball. Rarely have I seen a set of players so anxious to get rid of the ball. This mitigated against my semblance of collective football. It was just as if the Rovers regarded the ball as a hot conder. They rarely trapped if, drew an opponent and used the ball. No, they hit it first time and in nine cases out of ten to an Everton player. This of course, was born of enthusiasm for the young Rovers obviously set out to worry Everton and by speed alone apply the shock tactics. As it was it played into Everton hands. With Jack Jones and Greenhalgh so much in the ascendant and giving perfect cover for Humphreys, the Everton wing halves –Grant and Sam Jones –were able to move well afield to ensure the forwards getting the right material on which to construct. Yes, the dominance of the backs made the task of the attackers comparatively easy. The forwards responded in great style for they were complete masters of the ball and position. It was all cheekily entrancing and with each men deadly in front of the galliant Threlfall, who came through the ordeal with honour. The one sad note was the accident to young Billy Lowe after an hour which brought a fracture of a leg just above the ankle and Lowe removal to Walton Hospital. The irony of it Wade that Lowe had been demonstrating that he is Everton’s best right wing find of the war. Lowe was thriving on the support and advice of Stevenson –in his merriest vein –Bentham and Grant. Lowe has a broken tibia and fibula. Sam Jones was a power behind the attack, but not so more than Jack Grant, whose tackling was excellent and who linked up so well with Bentham at his bets. Add the potency of McIntosh, and you will appreciate that the Rovers defence was sadly overworked. It was fitting that Bridges and Glidden –easily the two outstanding Rivers –should get the goals. Here were players with the courage to hold a ball, and that Bridges goal was a highlight proving that had the Rovers thought just a little more they would have fared better. This is something over which the Rovers can ponder before next week’s return, when Everton will be without Lawton, but will still have the others scorers –Bentham (2), Stevenson and McIntosh. I liked Hyslop and much of the intervention of Owen but the half backs were hardly a match for the irresistible Everton. As I said to Mr. Tom Moore, who came in charge of the Rovers, the defeat can do the young Rovers a lot of good –if they are willing to profit by their mistakes.

November 9, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
While Manager George Kay is wondering how he is going to raise eleven players for Liverpool this week-end, Everton mention thirteen probables for their visit to Tranmere. Lawton is among them, although originally chosen to lead the Western Command against the Northern Command at Huddersfield, there is a chance Lawton may be available for Everton after all if not Wyles will deputise. The position regarding Sam Jones is at before he will play for Everton if Blackpool do not recall him. Tommy Jones is doubtful, Humphreys is a probable, and Watson is again Everton’s notice in the A.T.C Cup final at Goodison, last season afterwards playing two first-team games may see another run with the seniors. Burnett; Jones (JE), Greenhalgh; Humphreys, Jones (TG), Jones (S.), Watson; Grant, Linaker, Bentham, Lawton (or Wyles), Stevenson, McIntosh.

November 11, 1943, The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton’s team depends mainly on whether Welsh international Tommy Jones can get leave to play. If Tommy is available he will resume at centre half, with Humphreys on the right Sam Jones on the left, and Jackie Grant going to outside right. Should Tom Jones not be able to play, then Humphreys will remain at centre half, with Grant at right half, and young Linaker, the Southport junior, at outside right, Wyles leads the forwards. Everton; Burnett; Jones (Jack), Greenhalgh; Humphreys, or Grant, Jones (Tom) or Humphreys, Jones (Sam); Grant, or Linaker, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Everton Reserves introduce Arthur Brown, a goalkeeper at present with the Canadian Forces and Nuttall, a strongly recommended inside left from Northwich. Gordon Bailey home on leave, gets a run at outside left. Everton Reserves; Brown; Moore, Woodcock; Ashley, McDonnell, Doyle; Higgins, Wainwright, Casey, Nuttall, Bailey.
Everton Colts; A.N. Other; J.A. Jones, Melling; Barrett, S. Cox, Lamb; Turner, Taylor, Gordon, Scott, Lane.

November 12, 1943. The Liverpool Echo.
Ranger’s Notes.
Bad luck is still dogging Tranmere Rovers. After the way their side was out up at Goodison last week. Chairman Bob Trueman had hopes of getting together a much stronger eleven for the return. He managed it on Monday, but only on paper, for since then Ashcroft and the two Murphys have wired that they are not available. Everton also have their ifs and buts, mainly revolving around whether T.G. Jones will be fit and able to play. If he is, Humphreys and Sam Jones will be either side of him. If not, Humphreys goes in the middle and Grant right half. Should Grant not be wanted in the half backs, he will play outside right; if he as right half, then young Linaker will be on the wing. Got it? In short, you pay your money and take what’s given you. And we must be thankful we can do that. The absence of Lawton and Lowe will upset the smooth-working Everton attack of last week. Wyles, who deputises for the former, has bagged five goals in three previous appearances which seems to disarm criticism but I’d like to see him bringing the ball under control more smartly. When he masters that his tally will shoot up rapidly. Tranmere;- Threlfall; Hyslop, Kieran; Hill, Hughes, Gibbons; A.N. Other, Rosenthial, Glidden, Paterson, Wheeler. Everton; Burnett; Jones (JE), Greenhalgh; Humphreys, (or Grant), T.G. Jones (or Humphreys), Jones (S.), Grant, (or Linaker), Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

November 12, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have a glorious opportunity of recording their fourth successive victory when they visit Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. Withal, the Blues have a chance to bring off their second “double” of the season, having already beaten the Rovers 9-2. But .....They will face a different Tranmere tomorrow –a side strengthened by the return of Scottish and pre-war stars. Also, Everton will not have five-goal Lawton leading their attack. George Paterson, of Celtic, who played for Scotland last week, resumes at inside-left for the Rovers, and Rosenthal will be inside-right. Steve Hughes returns to centre-half and Hodgson is at outside-right. Wyles leads the Blues attack and he has always done so well as deputy for Lawton that he may carry on the good work against the club he has helped three times this season. If Tommy Jones can play Everton’s hopes will be brighter for Humphreys can then go to right-half and the progressive Grant figure at outside-right. Taking a line through last Saturday’s game it does look as if Everton will win again, but it will be a desperate battle. Tranmere Rovers; Threlfall; Hyslop, Kieran; Hill, Hughes, Gibbons; Hodgson, Rosenthal, Glidden, Paterson, Wheeler. Everton; Burnett; Jones (JE), Greenhalgh; Humphreys, (or Grant), T.G. Jones (or Humphreys), Jones (S.), Grant, (or Linaker), Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

By Stork.
Tranmere Rovers;- Threlfall, goal; Anderson and Kieran, backs; Hill (Everton), Hughes, and Gibbons, backs; Saunders, Hodgson, Glidden, Paterson (Celtic), and Wheeler, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Humphreys, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Grant, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee. Mr. Hartley (Bolton). Tranmere Rovers had great difficulty in getting a side together for the return with Everton at Prenton Park, and not until the last minute was the final selection made. There were about 2,000 people before the start. In ten minutes Everton took the lead, Anderson, in his efforts to clear, headed the ball high up in front of his own goal. Threlfall pushed the ball out, but it only fell in front of Grant, who soon had it in the back of the net. Everton continued to dominate the game, and at 19 minutes Bentham scored a second goal. The Rovers were not long in winning that goal off the slate, for almost within a minute Paterson lobbed the ball into the Everton goal, and to the surprise of all it eluded Burnett and dropped over the line. Everton forwards had an inclination to make short passes, which was folly. At 35 minutes J.E. Jones brought down Glidden in the penalty area, and from the spot kick Paterson made the score 2-2. The Rovers were playing the right type of game T.G. Jones in front of the Everton goal, cleared time and again with head and foot. At 43 minutes Everton went ahead again, Wyles being the scorer. Sam Jones started the way for this goal. It seemed that Wyles would have difficulty in getting in his shot, but he did, and Threlfall had no chance. The uncommon side of the Rovers had given Everton a hard task.
Half-time; Tranmere Rovers 2, Everton 3.
At 52 minutes Stevenson put Everton further ahead with a grand goal.
Everton Res v. Rootes.
Everton introduced in goal a newcomer in Brown from Canadian forces. Hughes and Platt, the visiting defenders were kept busy. Paterson for the visitors next got across a fine centre, which Eastham failed to convert. After twenty five minutes Lane opened Everton score, and within a minute Wainwright increased the lead. Lane added a third. Half-Time; Everton Res, 3, Rootes 0.

November 13, 1943. The Evening Express
Everton In The Lead
There was a crowd of about 2,000 at Prenton Park today for the return game between the Merseyside rivals. Both sides showed many changes and were below normal strength. Tranmere Rovers;- Threlfall, goal; Anderson and Kieran, backs; Hill (Everton), Hughes, and Gibbons, backs; Saunders, Hodgson, Glidden, Paterson (Celtic), and Wheeler, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Humphreys, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Grant, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee. Mr. Hartley (Bolton). The game was nearly a quarter of an hour late in starting. Twice in the opening phases Jones (T.G.) was in evidence, in checking the home forwards. Everton made headway on the left, but although this attack was repulsed play continued to hover in the home territory, and Stevenson was responsible for a long pass up the wing, but the ball travelled behind before McIntosh could get to it. Threfall had to leave his goal when Jones (T.G) put the ball well up the middle, Stevenson and Wyles both unsuccessfully challenged the home goalkeeper for possession. Threlfall had to save from a header by Stevenson, and this was the prelude to the first home attack, initiated by Glidden, but Greenhalgh checked the movement by putting back for Burnett to clear.
Everton Lead.
Everton showed the better method, but if anything were inclined to keep the ball too close. After 10 minutes however, they took the lead. In attempting to head away, Anderson put the ball high towards his own goal. Threlfall, after leaping across managed to keep the ball out of goal but put it straight to Grant who had the simplest of tasks in scoring from two yards. Tranmere came near to equalising almost immediately, Glidden racing through to make a shot from 25-yards which Burnett fielded smartly on his knees. Hodgson tried his luck from well out but was yards too high. At the home end Stevenson cleverly draw the defence before slipping the ball up the middle, and Everton were only denied a second-goal by a daring save on the part of Threlfall, who rushed out to drive at the feet of Wyles. Everton, however, maintained the upper hand, and at the 19th minute Bentham from among a crowd of players, tried a snap shot, and the unsighted Threlfall was well beaten. Tranmere were not disheartened by these reverses, and in a further two minutes they reduced the leeway. Paterson from fully 30 yards sending the ball high over Burnett into the far side of the net. The Rovers for a time, were the more aggressive side, but Wheeler should have done better when well plied by Paterson than send the ball tamely behind. McIntosh was only narrowly out of the reckoning with a low cross-shot the ball flashing inches wide of the far post. Everton resumed their offensive ways and from a centre from the right McIntosh headed into the net but the point was disallowed for offside.
Ball Burst.
There was an amusing incident when Grant and Paterson were struggling for possession in midfield. The crowd wondered what had happened when both players suddenly creased their efforts and the referee was called over to find that the ball had burst. Another one was brought into use. Greenhalgh took upon himself a forward role, but he shot from about 35 yards was off the mark. Everton seemed at times to be taking matters rather leisurely although the Rovers made some attacks Jones (T.G) and his defenders had no difficulty in making Burnett idle. There was no shot of note and that by one by Glidden was well off the target. The game had been going some minutes when Jones (J.E.) had judged to have wrongly brought down Wheeler, and from the resulting penalty Paterson equalised. Just before the interval Everton took the lead once more, Jones (s) running the all across to the far line of the goal for Wyles to net from close in. Everton just about deserved their narrow lead at the interval.
Half-time; Tranmere Rovers 2, Everton 3.
Immediately on the resumption Wyles made an opening, but his fast cross-drive was easily saved by Threlfall. Shortly afterwards Wyles made a good opening but the whistle blew for offside. Everton put more life into their efforts than they had done and for some minutes the Tranmere defence was fully extended seven minutes of the resumption had gone when Stevenson ran through to defeat Threllfall with a perfect ground drive.

November 15, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Tranmere Rovers 2, Everton 6
Stern Test at Tranmere
By Stork.
It was not until the second half with Tranmere Rovers that Everton got on top to win by 6-2. Up to the half-stage the Rovers put up a gallant show and pulled back a two goal lead. Everton brought off another “double” but their display was not nearly so good as on the occasion of the first game. The Rovers with a weakened side, owing to the absence of their regulars, showed the way in resorting to the open game, while Everton were inclined to keep the play too close. I was surprised by the determination effort of the Rovers in the first half; indeed, they played equally as well as their opponents sweeping the ball about quickly and getting to within striking distance by the shortest possible route. But there they ran against a strong defence in which T.G. Jones who had not expected to play, stood defiant.
Early Goals
Everton scored twice in the first twenty minutes, Grant and Bentham breaking through the Rovers’ defence. Tranmere retaliated strongly, it was not long before the Rovers reduced the lead with a goal that looked simple. Paterson lobbed the ball towards the Everton goalmouth. The ball appeared to be curling away from goal, and Burnett perhaps expected it to go over. To his surprise the ball dropped behind him into the net. The goalkeeper saved a similar effort a moment later. Stevenson ran through the Rovers defence and then glided the ball outside, after which came a penalty goal for Tranmere. Paterson converting. To have retrieved their position speaks well for Tranmere’s gallant fight, but before the interval arrived Wyles had regained the lead. Before that the ball had burst. In the second half Stevenson scored a fine goal after Threlfall had saved from Grant. S. Hughes and his backs stood their ground but had to yield in the end to a superior force. Bentham scored the fifth and sixth goals from the outside right position, Paterson hit the post with a rasping shot and the Rovers battled it out to the end. All the players stood up to the severe test well, and it was Everton’s superior staying power and more powerful attack which gained the day. S. Hughes was a bar to Wyles, just as Jones was to Glidden, who was prevented from scoring a goal for the first time since he became centre-forward. Times of scoring; Grant (10 minutes), Bentham (19), Paterson (20), Paterson (35), Wyles (43), Stevenson (52), Bentham (64 and 85 minutes). Tranmere Rovers;- Threlfall, goal; Anderson and Kieran, backs; Hill (Everton), Hughes, and Gibbons, backs; Saunders, Hodgson, Glidden, Paterson (Celtic), and Wheeler, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jones (J.E.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Humphreys, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Grant, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee. Mr. Hartley (Bolton).
• Liverpool Beat Chester 9-0, Done scored seven, Polk, and Beattie.
• Everton Reserves won Rootes Ath 7-0

November 15, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Stan Bentham Everton’s inside right, is undergoing an X-ray examination today on an ankle which troubled him late on in the match against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park on Saturday, which the Blues won well 6-2. Bentham got three of the goals, but finished up on the wing. A chipped bone is suspected. This was Everton’s fourth win “on the trot,” and in a game full of incident and thoroughly enjoyed by 4,000 people, who paid £240. There was rarely any doubt about the Everton superiority, but the Rovers fought every inch of the way in characteristic style, the clever Scottish international Paterson, wiping out a two-goal lead established by Grant and Bentham his second coming from a penalty. The standard of football all through was good, and after Wyles had placed Everton in front again the Blues did not look back. Stevenson and Bentham (2) supplementing. Bentham and Stevenson were excellent inside forwards, but had little on Paterson and Glidden, while Sam Jones was the best half back on the field. While the Rovers could match Everton for pace they showed up splendidly but they tired rather early, leaving Everton good winners.

November 15, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Mr. Cuff came to join Major F.A. Sloan, M.C. secretary of the Army F.A., Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton, and myself to chat over arrangements for the England v. Scotland Army international at Goodison Park on December 4. I can now give you some splendid news regarding that match. Arrangements are being made to augment as far as humanly possible without interference with war workers’ transport, the tramway services to Goodison Park for this big day. Mayor Sloan has had a “get-together” with Mr. Stan Royle, of the Tranways Department, and every aid is being given by our transport authorities. It will not be like pre-war, of course, but there will be sufficient trams to carry the 40,000 –always providing the spectators travel early. The holding of a ticket does not mean you can leave it until the last minute before getting to the ground. This news will be welcomed by many who had hold off getting tickets for fear of not being able to get to the game. That fear is removed. I later had the pleasure of Major Sloan’s company at lunch, and he said that Everton’s ground was selected for the match –Hampden Park had it last season –because the Army F.A. wanted to honour Everton for the club’s generosity in sending each season –at its own expense their full first team to Aldershot to play the Army for Army charities. These visits began in 1932 and went on right up to the war, I was at each one and know how graceful were our Army friends. Their action in bringing a full-fledged international to Everton’s home typifies the depth of their gratitude. Take it from me, will be one of the best organisation representative matches for a long time Major Sloan driving force behind Army side of the effort and Mr. Kelly, make the ideal combination. Everything possible is being done for the comfort and amusement of the spectators –a first class military band, special entertainers at the microphone and collection strictly taboo. The players of both countries –Scottish team being chosen today-will arrive in Liverpool on the evening of December 3. Mayor Sloan, during his flying visit, went to Goodison Park to go through every point with Mr. Kelly, and I can assure you that this is going to be a gala day. So get that ticket right away.

November 15, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Tranmere Rovers “shadow” team was well and truly beaten by Everton at Prenton Park, yet it was not until the second half that Everton ultimately got on top. Tranmere did not know the composition of their side until a few minutes before the kick-off (writes Stork). Fielding a team nowadays is a nightmare. Everton were not sure that Tom Jones would play until two minutes before the teams were due to take the field, for he was in grand form when the Rovers were making their great effort in the first half, and actually pulled back a two goal lead. It was not a day for ultra clever football, and the Rovers showed the full value of open play by wiping off Everton’s lead. True, Everton were soon on the attack, and when Grant and Bentham scored it seemed that the Rovers light would be dimmed. But they settled down, and over the sting of those goals, and produced two for themselves. Everton were playing too close, at this point as against the open road of the Rovers, who had heartened their supporters by their power to hit back. It would be unkind to be to critical about this game. The Rovers never gave up trying as witness. Paterson’s shot which hit the post, Glidden’s drive that shaved the topside of the crossbar, and the defences which battled against an attack which gave it no rest. Stan Bentham is to have an X-Ray examination today for a suspected chipped ankle bone.

Liverpool Daily Post - Tuesday 16 November 1943
Sir, —I was pleased to read the letters from “ Bee,” and Mr. Neville White. Tom Cannon, the old “Greco-Roman” wrestling champion, died many years ago in his native village, Bindley, near Wigan. He was well over seventy. Jem Carney, the old light-weight champion of England, died nearly a couple years ago, at the ripe old age of eightyfour. Do any of your readers remember Johnny Rogers, of Bootle, a quaint old personality who always wore a straw hat, summer and winter? He played both football and cricket for Bootle and lived to be over eighty. Then we had that famous left-wing of Everton, Millward and Chadwick, both of whom only passed away short time ago, WERE over seventy.  Jack Bell, who played for Everton  is still living, I believe, and is well over the seventy mark.  I have still, here in Liverpool, one of the oldest boxers living, Charlie Blackburn, who, I believe, is in his seventy-sixth year  could name many more to prove that not all athletes die young.—Yours, Ac.. T. MOORE. Barnhill Road, Wavertree.

November 17, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton name thirteen probables for their visit to Crewe on Saturday. Jackson, fit once more is named in the back division, and Watson will be at left half if Sam Jones is unable to play. Linaker the young Southport lad who jump straight from an A.T.C side into Everton’s senior team last season, is outside right, but Bentham’s appearance depends on the doctor’s report following his X-ray examination for an ankle injury sustained at Prenton. Team from; Burnett; Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Grant, Jones (T.G.), Jones (S.), Watson; Linaker, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.

November 17, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
George Jackson, may return to Everton’s team to visit Crewe Alexandra at Greasty-road, on Saturday, after an absence of seven weeks. Jackson is included 14 players from whom Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly will select his side. Stan Bentham is also included, but whether he plays or not depends on the result of the X-Ray examination on this ankle. Tommy Lawton return’s to lead, the attack, and young Linaker the junior winger from the Southport area, may be at outside-right. Either Sam Jones or Gordon Watson will be at left half. If Watson plays it will be his first Football League game this season, although he has had two or three successful runs with the Reserves. Grant is selected for right-half for the time being. Everton (from); Burnett; Jones (J.E.), Greenhalgh; Grant, Jones (T.G.), Jones (S.), Watson; Linaker, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.

November 18, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Stan Bentham, Everton’s inside right and member of the 1938-39 championship side, is to undergo an examination by the club specialist for his ankle trouble. In the In the mean time Bentham stands down from the team visiting Crewe Alexandra on Saturday. Bentham’s ankle troubled him during last Saturday’s game at Tranmere when he scored three goals and he finished on the wing. An X-ray examination was made on Monday and while this does not reveal a chipped bone, the report is not encouraging and so Everton are seeking further advice. Jackie Grant who is becoming quite an Everton utility player, will go to inside-right with young Linaker the A.T.C lad, as his partner. George Jackson definitely returns to right back after a long absence through injury, and Jackie Jones will move to right half. Sam Jones, the Irish international, is a certainty for left half, and if Tommy Jones can get away the Blues will have three namesakes in the half-back line. There is however, a doubt about Tommy, and so McDonnell, the Haydock lad, stands by. This is the only team doubt for Lawton will be back to lead the forwards. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Jones (Jack), Jones (Tommy); (or McDonnell), Jones (Sam), Linaker, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
30,000 Sold
There has been a rush of applications for tickets for the England v Scotland Army international match at Goodison Park on December 4. Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton announces that more than 30,000 of the 40,000 have now been sold. Obviously this is no occasion for delay. Mr. Bob Trueman, chairman of Tranmere Rovers, has once again co-operated with Everton, and has opened an agency for tickets at the Rovers office in Prenton-road for the benefit of Birkenhead enthusiasts. These are extraordinary times, and something may –I emphasise may....crop up to cause a postponement. If such a thing does happen –and I doubt it –the fixture will still be put on at Goodison Park on a re-arranged date. Tickets purchased for the December 4 match will, however, still be available for any new date arrange between the Army F.A., and Everton, so all tickets holders would have to do would be to retain their tickets and wait for the new date. There are a small but vital things which have to be decided in connection with a big match like this. It has now been decided that the pre-match, and half-time music will be provided by the band of the South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own), and there will be at least one “turn” at the microphone.
Followers of the Liverpool County Combination are in for some thrills on Saturday. Marine, the unbeaten leaders, are due to go to Goodison Park to face Everton Reserves and believe me, the Blues are all out to avenge the 5-0 defeat received at Crosby. Everton Reserves; Birkett; Woodcock, Doyle; Ashley, McDonnell (or S.Cox), Eyes; Turner, Wainwright, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Everton Colts (v. Birkenhead C.Y.C., at Orrell-lane, 3.15 p.m.); Rimmer; Durham, Lever; Barrett, H. Williams, R. Williams; Higgins, Collins, Falkner, Grenfell, Lunt.

November 19, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have a bright chance of recording their fifth win in succession when they visit Crewe Alexandra at Gresty-road, and paving the way for their third “double” of the season. Everton have since losing twice to Liverpool, beaten Wrexham twice, and Tranmere Rovers twice, and now they tackle the bottom club. By all reasoning Everton should bring home the points. Crewe started sensationally by winning at the Wolves and then beating Stoke at Gresty road, but since that win –on September 11-they have suffered nine successive defeats, and will have to show considerable improvement if that run is to be beaten. They will have Inskin back at outside-right, and McCormick, of the Spurs, is again in the attack which will be led by Leo Stevens. There is a doubt about Poskett, but if he cannot play Bettenv will again deputise. Everton’s doubt affects the centre-half position where Matt McDonnell will play if Tommy Jones cannot get away. Sam Jones has been recalled by Blackpool, so Watson plays at left-half. Lawton’s return should ensure the necessary “punch” in finish. I expect Crewe will have their best attendance of the season to see an Everton boasting four and possibly five internationals. Crewe Alexandra; Poskett (or Betteny); Parker, Bateman; Jones, Simpson, Still; Inskin, McCormick, Stevens, Brunt, Hopley. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Grenehalgh; Jones (Jack), Jones (Tom), (or McDonnell), Watson; Linaker, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.

November 19, 1943, The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
While on paper Everton seem to have an easy task at Crewe, for the Alexandra are the League’s wooden spoonists they must not take things for granted. Nevertheless I shall be surprised if Crewe avoid defeat, for Everton have hit a scoring vein, and I cannot see the home defeat stopping Lawton and company. The England centre-forward is a great driving force, and although Bentham will not be available the Everton attack should still be good enough to break open the Crewe defence. The Railwaymen started the season fairly well, but at the moment they must be suffering from an inferiority complex. Last year they upset calculation by beating Everton, but they were a much stronger side then. They have scored only 16 goals this season. Crewe Alexandra; Poskett (or Betteny); Parker, Bateman; Jones, Simpson, Still; Inskin, McCormick, Stevens, Brunt, Hopley. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Grenehalgh; Jones (Jack), Jones (Tom), (or McDonnell), Watson; Linaker, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Everton Reserves; (v. Marine). Birkett; Woodcock, Doyle; Ashley, McDonnell, (or S. Cox), Eyes, Turner, Wainwright, Wyles, Scott-Lee, Makin.

November 20, 1943. The Evening Express
8-0 Win at Crewe
Lawton, the English international led the Everton attack against Crewe Alexandra at Crewe today. Crewe were without the services of McCormick. Crewe; Poskett, goal; Parker and Bateman, backs; F. Jones, Simpson and Still, half-backs; Inskip, Smith, Stevens, Blunt (Northampton), and Hopley, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Hallard, half-backs; Linaker, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Briggs (Cheadler). Lawton started the play for Everton, who were at once placed on the defensive, Inskip eluded Hallard but his centre fell behind. Everton attacked on the right and Linaker’s centre was met by Parker, just as McIntosh arrived on the scene. In the next minute, however, Everton took the lead. Following on a corner kick, the ball was placed well in the goalmouth and Lawton scored with ease. The same player missed a great chance shortly afterwards, when Linaker delivered a perfect centre. Crewe responded with spirit, and Steven’s looked like going through when Jackson dashed in to clear in the nick of time. Crewe had got over their early shock and were striving hard to pierce the Everton defence. It stood firm, however, Jones (T.G.) being particularly safe in the middle. In Everton’s next raid Poskett saved a high shot from Linaker. Stevens and Inskip were seen in an exciting break away, and their interpassing puzzled the Everton backs. Stevens was through, but he made a weak scoring attempt, the ball being yards wide of the mark.
Brilliant Save
A few minutes later Burnett made a brilliant save from Inskip and followed the ball to the edge of his area to effect a clearance. It was a narrow squeak for Everton. Play continued fast and was of an end-to-end variety. Crewe had a chance of equalising when Smith received the ball directly in front of goal, but he allowed the chance to slip. After 35 minutes, Everton increased their lead through McIntosh, who delivered a beautiful shot from 30 yards’ range. Everton were displaying delightful football, Lawton being continually in the limelight. He supplied the third goal. Receiving the ball in the centre 10 yards from the penalty area he had Poskett well beaten.
Half-time; Crewe 0, Everton 3
The teams turned straight round at half-time. Crewe were the first to attack, but the weakness in front of goal was still apparent. At the other end Poskett got down well to a fast ground shot from Stevenson. Poskett, who had far more work to do than Burnett, was well tested by Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh. Early in the half Stevenson broke clean through to score a spectacular goal. Following a combined attack, Lawton, despite the attentions of three opponents, got in a shot which just topped the bar. Poskett made a brilliant save from Stevenson, but McIntosh scored the fifth for Everton. Stevenson, the sixth, and Lawton the seventh. Lawton scored the eight goal. Final; Crewe 0, Everton 8.
Everton Res v. Marine
After eight minutes Marine took the lead, Veacock centring to Fenson to have Birkett no chance. The visitors added a second goal through Craig, but Everton reduced the deficit when Cheers put the ball into his own goal. Wainwright equalised for Everton but McPeake, regained the lead for Marine.
Half-time; Everton Res 2, Marine 3.

November 20, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Crewe; Poskett, goal; Parker and Bateman, backs; F. Jones, Simpson and Still, half-backs; Inskip, Smith, Stevens, Blunt (Northampton), and Hopley, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Hallard, half-backs; Linaker, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Briggs (Cheadler). There were over 4,000 present when Everton kicked off. Crewe were first in the danger zone, but Inskip was wide of the mark. Everton had a promising chance and Parker was obliged to concede a corner when McIntosh was within a couple of yards from goal. Two minutes later Everton opened their score, Lawton beating Poskett with a hard drive, which left the Crewe goalkeeper helpless. Everton were playing in perfect combination, and the Crewe defence was perplexed. Corner after corner came their way and many thrills ensued. Crewe had a magnificent chance of levelling the score when Stevens beat the defence, but with only Burnett to beat, he kicked yards wide of the goal. Maintaining their pressure McIntosh increased Everton’s lead after thirty-five minutes. He ran down the right wing and shot over the heads of the Crewe defenders into the net well beyond the reach of the goalkeeper. Five minutes later Lawton registered a third also with a long drive. Stevenson brought Poskett to his knees with a sparkling shot the Crewe goalkeeper being lucky to hold the ball while on the ground.
Half-time; Crewe Alex 0, Everton 3.
Crewe improved on the resumption and Smith had another chance of reducing the lead, but there was no “pep” behind his drive. Stevenson added Everton’s fourth 15 minutes after the interval, breaking through the defence on his own to shoot well beyond the reach of Poskett. McIntosh scored a fifth goal for Everton. Five minutes later Stevenson registered Everton sixth after a delightful movement along the left wing. After this Everton took complete control of the game and Poskett was continually in action. Lawton headed Everton’s seventh goal. Crewe were completely outclassed. Final; Crewe nil, Everton 8.
Everton Reserves v. Marine
Marine fielded a weakened side at Goodison Park but they took the lead after eight minutes, Fenton netting. They added a second through Craig, and shortly afterwards Cheers put through his own goal to reduce the lead. Wainwright equalised for Everton, and just before the interval, McPeake scored from a penalty for Marine. Half-time; Everton Res 2, Marine 3.

November 22, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Crewe Alexandra 0, Everton 8
Crewe Overwhelmed
Crewe Alexandra, unable to stand up to Everton sharp-shooters, were well beaten by 8-0 at Crewe. Six of the goals came from long range shots which left Poskett, the Crewe goalkeeper, helpless. Lawton was the star, and in addition to claiming four of the goals took a prominent part in securing the remainder. McIntosh, who scored twice, delighted the 5,000 spectators with his left wing work and his stinging drives at goal. The power behind his shots tested the Crewe goalkeeper on many occasions. His partner, Stevenson also responsible for two goals gave a brilliant exhibition. Everton scored the first goal in the first two minutes and their eighth two minutes before the end. Their rapid and accurate passing movements completely demoralised Crewe, who rarely figured in the limelight. They failed to make use of the few chances they had. On one occasion Stevens, at centre, was scarcely more than a yard from goal, but surprised everybody by kicking the ball the wrong side of the post. Thirty goals in their last five matches is Everton’s record. Crewe; Poskett, goal; Parker and Bateman, backs; F. Jones, Simpson and Still, half-backs; Inskip, Smith, Stevens, Blunt (Northampton), and Hopley, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Hallard, half-backs; Linaker, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Briggs (Cheadler).
• Liverpool won 9-0 against Chester. Beattie (3), Welsh (3), Done, Nieuwenhuys, and Campbell one each.

November 22, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The Crewe enthusiasts will not readily forget the precision football served up by Everton at Gresty-road. This was a scintillating display by the Blues which left the opposition absolutely bewildered. Once Everton took a grip on the game the Alexandra simply could not hold them, the ball passing from one Evertonian to another with amazing accuracy. Everton operated with a smoothness and grace which delighted, and while they bagged eight goals it might have been doubled but for the brilliance of Poskett in the home goal. Poskett was the hero of the day, sure in his fielding, keen in his positional sense, and saving fully a dozen shots labelled “goal.” One of the successes of the Everton side was Jackie Jones at right half while Hallard came back to play excellently at left half. These factors coupled with a classic display by Tommy Jones, laid the foundations for the soundness of the win. And in attack Everton were gloriously accurate and effective. Tommy Lawton bagged three of the goals, to become the season’s leading score on the 21 mark, Stevenson had a couple and McIntosh also scored two. It was Tommy Jones who began the goals rush with one from the corner kick which erroneously was give to Lawton. Linaker had a goal disallowed. Crewe’s biggest gate of the season –more than 5,000 –thoroughly enjoyed this epic display of football arts.
• Everton Reserves at Goodison Park after being down by two goals to nil, won 8-5, against Marine, how’s unbeaten run ends.

November 22, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton by their forceful play, simply crushed Crewe out of the game at the Alexandra ground. They could not stand up to the severe pressure, the Everton attack placed upon them from the moment the ball was kicked off. True, their own centre forward had chances of reducing Everton’s score, but was unable to snap them up. Stevens on one occasion was only a couple of yards out of goal, yet he propelled the ball behind. Everton’s rapid and accurate passing soon forced holes in the Crewe defence, and then came the shot. Six of their eight goals were the result of long drives, which left Poskett helpless. That gives some idea of the power of Everton’s shooting. Poskett was the busiest man on the field, and he repelled many shots and could not be blamed for his side’s defeat. Everton’s shooting has been consistent for some weeks. They have scored thirty goals in five games. Lawton, who got three goals, was something more than an opportunist. He had a prominent part in the others, and McIntosh delighted the crowd by his wing play and shooting ability. He got two goals and Stevenson two with T.G. Jones one. With such a strong attack the Everton defence had a comparatively easy time, for Crewe’s hands were full defending. They battled determined, but were simply overwhelmed.

November 23, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Stan Bentham, Everton’s inside right and member of the 1938-39 championship team, will be out of football for some weeks. Bentham goes into a nursing home this week for the removal of two large loose pieces of bone from an ankle. Bentham is the fourth Everton player to undergo a similar operation in recent seasons. Billy Dean was the first and then Jimmy Dunn while later Gordon Watson had the same trouble. And the pieces of bone removed are still to be found in Trainer Mr. Harry Cooke’s museum” at Goodison Park. The operation is not serious but all win join in wishing Stan a speedy and complete recovery. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly is able to name a provisional team for next Saturday’s match at Goodison Park with Crewe Alexandra, Joe Mercer the England wing half-back, will be making one of his rare appearances, but Tommy Jones cannot get away to play. There is a chance, however, that Sam Jones the Irish International will be returning to left-half. Tommy Lawton is not available because of military duties and will possibly play for Aldershot, so Cecil Wyles, will lead the forwards, and Matt McDonnell will be at centre-half. The defence remains unchanged in a side which Mr. Kelly emphasises is provisional at the moment. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, McDonnell, Jones (Sam); Linaker, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.
• Birkett the young Everton goalkeeper from Haydock, were the Blues have been finding some excellent lads latterly, will play for Tranmere Rovers on loan next Saturday against Manchester United at Prenton Park.

November 26, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton also have their eye on the top of the table, and though their three points leeway looks a bit too much to make up in view of the way the leaders are snaping, the Blues if they can maintain recent form, will be there ready to take advantage of any slip by those above them. Although they will be without Lawton –Wyles deputising –Everton should have little difficulty in beating Crewe at Goodison Park. Their form at Crewe was entrancing and the attack simply calved its way through the home defence. T.G. Jones will be missing in the intermediate line –McDonnell takes his place –and Mercer whom it was thought would be available, is also an absentee. Same Jones is doubtful. Team; Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Jones (J.E.), McDonnell, Jones (S.) of Hallard; Linaker, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh. Everton; Poskett; Parker, Bateman; Jones, Simpson, Steel; Inskip, McCormick, (Spurs), Cochrane (Hibs), Blunt (Northampton), Hopley.

November 26, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Crewe Alexandra pay their first visit to Liverpool this season, when they come to Goodison Park tomorrow to face Everton. Having won 8-0 at Crewe last week, Everton should record their sixth successive win, and their “double” of the season. Crewe’s chances, however, must not be assumed on last Saturday’s match, for football from these days does not seen to work out one week after another. Each match must be taken on its merit, and with the Alexandra introducing a new star forward their hopes are brighter than they appear at first glance. The newcomer is Cochrane, the Hibernian centre forward, who played in the Carlise North v South representatives match. Cochrane should be capable of taking the chances provided by McCormick of the Spurs, and Blunt of Northampton. This extra forward power should take some of the work off the defence. Everton will lack the scoring abilities of Tommy Lawton, who is expected to turn out for, Aldershot, but Cecil Wyles, who has bagged six goals in four matches with the first team will be there to challenge Simpson. Prompting Wyles will be versatile. Grant and the master-creator Stevenson, so there should be plenty of “bite” about this Blues attack, with McIntosh always ready to snap an opening, and young Linaker holding down the right wing duties. Tommy Jones will be absent and Joe Mercer unfortunately, cannot get away this week, so Matt McDonnell will be at centre half with Jackie Jones again at right half, and either Sam Jones or Hallard at left half. This will be entertaining football, and, while I expect Everton to win readily, they may get a shock if they incline at any moment to take things too easily. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Jones (J.E.), McDonnell, Jones (S.) of Hallard; Linaker, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh. Everton; Poskett; Parker, Bateman; Jones, Simpson, Steel; Inskip, McCormick, (Spurs), Cochrane (Hibs), Blunt (Northampton), Hopley.

November 27, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
McIntosh’s Five Goals Were Handy
By Stork.
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), M. McDonnell, and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Linaker, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Crewe Alexandra; Poskett, goal; Parker and Bateman, backs; Jones (R.), Simpson and Still, half-backs; Inskip, McCormick (Tottenham), Cochrane (Hibernains), Blunt (Northampton), and Hopley, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Royal Marines). Stan Bentham had the operation for his damaged ankle yesterday, and is going along nicely. These times Stevenson had shots at goal, but Poskett was equal to each occasion. Crewe were playing good combination but were rather easily held in check by the Everton defence. McDonnell twice cleared his lines with lusty kicks, and then brought a foul against his side which, however, brought the Alexandra nothing tangible, for McCormick shot over. We had a sample of how openings could be missed when Stevenson shot a foot outside the post from a really good opening. It was 24 minutes before the first goal of the day arrived, and McIntosh scored it. He had little space in which to beat Poskett, but he found a way through. Crewe had not played like a team beaten 8-0 a week ago. Their good tackling often upset the Everton scheme, and within a minute they had equalised through Cochrane, who scored with a header. McIntosh again came into the picture with a second goal from Grant’s pass. Cochrane netted very soon after, but the goal was disallowed for offside. Crewe persisted and Cochrane once again equalised. During the making of this goal, Burnett was injured, and although he played throughout the remainder of the half, he did not resume with his colleagues.
Half-time; Everton 2, Crewe Alexandra 2.
Burnett had suffered a facial injury, and Jackson went in goal. Everton scored two further goals, McIntosh again being the scorer in each case. His third came in fifty-three minutes and his fourth in fifty-five. The last was particularly a clever goal in that he seemed to drop out of the clouds to get his head to the ball to beat Poskett. Just after this Burnett returned, Crewe were fighting it out determinedly. From a free kick taken by McCormick, McDonnell deflected the ball into his own goal. McIntosh netted again, but was offside and Inskip produced some danger with a nice run. At 72 minutes Crewe, for the fourth time equalised to bring the score four all. Hopley got the better of Jackson and then offered Cochrane a header, which the centre forward took gladly, to beat Burnett. Crewe made a big surprise when in the 75th minute Inskip moved forward and Burnett came out of his goal –too far, to my way of thinking –and the outside right lobbed the ball over him and into the net. Everton were now fighting desperately hard for the equaliser and McIntosh with a free kick scored Everton’s fifth and his own fifth goal to bring the scores level in 87 minute. Final; Everton 5, Crewe Alex 2.

November 27, 1943. The Evening Express
But Crewe Take A Point
By Pilot.
Cochrane the Hibernian centre forward made his debut for Crewe Alexandra today, against Everton at Goodison Park. He was only able to reach the ground two minutes before three o’clock, and consequently the start was slightly delayed. Everton featured seven players whom they produced in their reserves side. Wyles and McDonnell deputised for internationals Lawton and Tom Jones, while Sam Jones, the Irish international appeared at left half. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), M. McDonnell, and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Linaker, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Crewe Alexandra; Poskett, goal; Parker and Bateman, backs; Jones (R.), Simpson and Still, half-backs; Inskip, McCormick (Tottenham), Cochrane (Hibernians), Blunt (Northampton), and Hopley, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Royal Marines). Everton were early astir, Stevenson providing some clever foot work before Wyles tried a cross shot which was covered. McIntosh broke through but overdid it, before Stevenson forced Poskett to save low down. Blunt came across to open up the way for Inskip, but McDonnell came through with a winning tackle just as Crewe were getting dangerous.
Poskett’s Save
Jack Jones drove to the goalmouth, but Poskett came out to baulk Wyles as the centre forward was dashing in. McIntosh went through from Sam Jones’ pass and pushed the ball back for Stevenson, whose shot was neatly taken by Poskett. In the next second, Stevenson shot along the floor, but Poskett saved at full length, and when Stevenson again got busy Simpson cleared at the expense of a corner. For a change Burnett was called into action, when he ran out to pick up a through pass and then easily take charge of a shot from Blunt. Greenhalgh was penalised and from the free kick Cochrane headed inches by the near post –a narrow squeak for Everton. Blunt was going through but he was brought down on the edge of the penalty area. His free kick was much too high. Wyles put McIntosh on good ground, but the winger’s shot struck the side netting.
Quick Scoring.
The crowd had to wait a long time for a goal, but then they got three in four minutes. McIntosh had cut in and flashed a shot across the face of the goal, and after each side had forced corners, Linaker made ground before delivering a magnificent centre, which McIntosh headed through to give Everton the lead in 26 minutes. Within a minute Crewe were level, when Cochrane get up magnificently to Hopley’s corner and headed into the far corner with Burnett out of position. Two minutes later Everton regained the lead. The right wing combined cleverly, and when the ball was whipped out to the left, McIntosh picked his spot, and drove home with deadly accuracy to restore the lead. McIntosh was inches wide in trying to complete the hat-trick. Burnett dashed out to intercept Cochrane. He was injured in the face, and while he was lying on the floor, Blunt placed the ball into the net. The point, however, was disallowed after the referee had consulted a linesman, and Everton were awarded a free kick, Burnett being able to resume after attention. Everton were keeping the ball too close –a fatal policy against the quick-tackling Crewe, and they paid the penalty in 42 minutes when Cochrane drove against the foot of the post and the ball rolled along the goal line just inside the far post for the equaliser.
Half-time; Everton 2, Crewe Alex 2.
The teams turned right round at the interval, but Burnett went off for treatment to his eye injury and Jackson went in goal. Jackson was soon in action with a lusty clearance kick, and when Everton applied pressure Wyles headed through but the goal was rightly disallowed for offside. Crewe were sticking to their task well, their intervention being hardly effective. Jackson delighted the crowd by diving out to save from McCormick, and then Linaker dribbled close in, but Poskett baulked him, with the aid of Simpson, who was proving a rare stumbling block to the Everton inside forwards.
Lead Regained
It was sharpshooter McIntosh who changed the complexion of the game, when in 53 minutes, he took charge of a centre from the right, ran on and completed his hat-trick with a great shot. Within two minutes McIntosh had brought the total to four when he jumped in to a long bouncing half and as Poskett advanced neatly headed it over the goalkeeper’s head into the net. Once again Everton had a spell of that keep-it-close complex, and in 62 minutes Crewe reduced the lead following a free kick. This was for a foul by Sam Jones on the edge of the penalty area, and in trying to intercept the free kick McDonnell had the misfortunate to turn the ball into his own net. McIntosh got the ball into the net again; but the goal was disallowed for offside. In 72 minutes Hopley survived Jackson’s tackle and crossed the ball to which Cochrane dived and headed into the corner of the net. This was a shock, but had it not been for a wonder save by Burnett Crewe would have taken the lead for the first time. Crewe took the lead for the first time in the 75 minutes when Burnett came out to intercept , but was beaten by Cochrane. And the ball ran loose, to Inskip, who just coolly lobbed into the vacant net, it had been a grand fight by Crewe, who had stuck grimly to their game. Cochrane being a grand leader and Simpson all-powerful in defence Everton took the run of the game and when Stevenson was going through he was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and this brought the equaliser only three minutes from time. Crewe made the usual barrier, but McIntosh, taking no run, drove into the corner of the net at amazing speed –a really grand goal. Final; Everton 5, Crewe Alexandra 5.

November 29, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 5, Crewe Alexandra 5.
Crewe Alexandra Earn A Point.
By Stork.
Crewe Alexandra gave Everton a fright at Goodison Park on Saturday. With only a few minutes remaining for play Crewe were in the lead with Everton struggling to saved defeat. A free kick was awarded against the visitors and McIntosh in some magical way drove the ball through a wall of Crewe players and into the net, and so ended one of the most fluctuating games I have ever seen. The score was 5-5. A week previously Everton had whipped the Alexandra on their own ground by a margin of eight goals, yet here they were battling to pull the game out of the fire. For a visiting club to score five goals and not win the match must be disappointing, especially after the way Crewe had to fight against the lead on four occasions. Everton were once two goals ahead, but Crewe pulled them back and actually went into the lead. How was it that a side who had not scored a single goal for six weeks could beared the lion in his den and come out almost victorious? It was their fighting quality, their determination not to give in. Everton found the quick tackling of their opponents a barrier to concerted movements. At times Crewe seemed to possess more than eleven players. Such was the speed at which they went into their work. They may have been “given” a couple of their goals by defensive errors, but no one could deny that they shook Everton. Everton made the mistake of treating the Alexandra lightly, especially in the first half. Some of Crewe’s football in the “outfield” was excellent and only near goal were they remiss but Everton did not take the hint. Crewe took the lead, which left Everton with the difficult task of producing another goal in the space of a few minutes to avert disaster.
Five For McIntosh
The game was a complete triumph for McIntosh, for he was responsible for the whole of Everton’s five goals. Had he not shot I don’t know who could have shouldered the responsibility for the rest of the forwards did not strike a top note when it came to shooting. This Preston man himself started dribbling and running into trouble, but saw the futility of it and selected to shoot instead. The result was five goals. Wyles, Stevenson, and Grant could not muster five shots between them. Crewe had a greatly strengthened side compared with the previous week, and they gave a good account of themselves. McCormick the Spurs forward, was the schemer of the line with Cochrane ever up ready to test his skill against the Everton strength, and scored two goals. McCormick got another, Inskip one, and McDonnell, the Everton centre-half, deflected a free kick taken by Jones into his own net. There were three other occasions when the ball was netted, but the goals were disallowed. McIntosh to my mind scored a perfectly good goal and was given offside, and I am not sure that Cochrane was not entitled to one when he shot on the occasion Burnett was hurt. Burnett was off the field for a time with a facial injury, and it was during his absence that Everton obtained their bigger lead. The Everton half-back line was not so sound as usual. S. Jones was uncertain in his passing and McDonnell thumped the ball away with no thoughts of giving it to his forwards, and J.E. Jones was the best of the line. Linaker had a good game, but none stood out like McIntosh. I must pay a tribute to Crewe for their galliant effort. It was worthy of a victory. Here are the scorers and times of scoring;- McIntosh 24 mins, Cochrane 25, McIntosh 29, McCormick 42, McIntosh 53 and 55, McDonnell 62, Cochrane 72, Inskip 75, McIntosh 87. Attendance 6,572. Receipts £366. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), M. McDonnell, and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Linaker, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Crewe Alexandra; Poskett, goal; Parker and Bateman, backs; Jones (R.), Simpson and Still, half-backs; Inskip, McCormick (Tottenham), Cochrane (Hibernains), Blunt (Northampton), and Hopley, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.N. Brown (Royal Marines).
• Liverpool beat Southport 3-1, Welsh, Done, Balmer for Liverpool and Flack (Penalty) for Southport.

November 29, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With three minutes to go, and Crewe leading by the odd goal of nine, Everton were granted a free kick just outside the penalty area. What a climax to any match. The moment was almost as tense as the famous occasion at Wembley when George Mutch was about to take his penalty shot. “writes Stork). The Crewe players built up a human wall in front of McIntosh who was delegated the task of taking the free kick –who else could have been chosen, for had he not already scored four goals –and the air was as still as night. “Mac’s” reasonability was enormous. What would he do? Let me tell you. He stepped back a few paces from the ball, slowly walked towards it and cracked it low down, and it sizzled between the legs of the Crewe players and entered the net at the side opposite to where Poskett was standing guard. The cheering which greeted that goal was reminiscent of a cup-final goal. That was one of the highlights of the Goodison game; the other were McIntosh’s five goals and Crewe’s gallant bid for victory after they had been in arrears four times. Just let us ponder this Crewe effort. here was a side which had not scored a goal in six matches, a side which had not known victory for ten games –yet they were able to force Everton, who had scored 30 goals in five games, to a half share of 10 goals. Wasn’t their effort worthy a win? I think so, and no one would have begrudged it them. What brought about such a change of front. Their strengthened team, their pace into the tackle and their wholehearted endeavour against a side which played “pretty pretty.” Everton’s defence was not sound, McDonnell simply kicked the ball away without any thought at all of direction. Sam Jones had a poor game, and Burnett who was injured –Jackson went in goal for a spell –was not blameless.

November 29, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
That goal by McIntosh for Everton at the 87th minute of the Goodison Park game with Crewe Alexandra was one of the most remarkable I have seen for a long time, and certainly the best of the five secured by big Jimmy who is a Naval policeman. Stevenson had been fouled a yard outside the penalty area, and he placed the ball for the kick as the Crewe players lined up in front of Poskett. It looked an impenetrable barrier, as McIntosh calmly stood beside the ball awaiting the signal. Jimmy got it, and without any prelimary canter to the ball cracked it home with his right foot dead into the net corner. Not a player moved to stop the ball as it sped an inch above the turf. Not for years have seen a player hit a ball with such accuracy and pace without the momentum of a run. The 6,572 spectators (receipts £366) went wild with excitement, and hundreds waited after the match to cheer “Mac” as he left the field. Well, five goals from outside left is an amazing achievement, and the equaliser made this a just result. Mark you, Everton should have won. The game was theirs for the taking, but during two vital periods they lapsed into that old “take-it-easy” style and so that asked to be hit. And did Crewe hit? I’ll say they did. Even backed up by a lead, no team could afford to take off the pressure against such a side of go-getters as Chairman Mr. Frank Cottrell, and Secretary Mr. Tom Bailey brought along from Crewe. Had Everton concentrated all through they must have won but there was not a person on the ground who begrudged Crewe their half-share. This was a joy day for Crewe, who had gone ten games without a point and five games without even a goal. And few teams score five away and fail to win. As Mr. Cottrell commented; This is the first time for weeks we have had our best team out, so it just shows that we can do with our full power. In recent games you have not seen the real Crewe Today you did.”
Cochrane Power.
The introduction of Cochrane the tall ex-Hibernian centre forward, who only arrived at the ground two minutes before starting time, made all the difference to the Alexandra. Cochrane really “rattled” the Everton defence and besides taking three goals absolutely worried the defenders into making other lapses. Cochrane had not the football, skill of McCormick, the Spurs’ player, who was as progressive as any attacker on the field, but he gave young McDonnell a tortuous afternoon by his virile leadership. Cochrane’s was a display which reminded me of the plumy days of Jack Weddle of Portsmouth. With Simpson towering over Everton’s small inside-forwards and Still and Jones so keen with their tackling and intervention, the Blues attacks rarely operated smoothly. Lucky for Everton that Stevenson, Grant and the wing halves flung the ball to McIntosh at every opportunity. McIntosh was the lad who had the measure of the Crewe defence. The Everton defence has been seen in better light, and while appreciating that Burnett was handicapped by a facial injury, which forced him to go off for 15 minutes –Jackson went into goal –Burnett’s judgement in coming out was not without faulty. The backs were good, the only near mistake being Jackson’s miskick when he as acting as goalkeeper, Jack Jones was the best of the half-backs, for Sam Jones ruined a lot of work by faulty passing and McDonnell lost his early grip of Cochrane. Stevenson was the game’s cutest forward with McIntosh the most effective, but Grant and Linaker were too easily crowded out, and Wyles found it hard to gain ball mastery so that his general play suffered. Yes, a hard and exciting game, in which Crewe just refused to be beaten, and after being behind four times actually went ahead. McDonnell accidentally placed through his own goal and Inskip enterprising netted after Burnett had been drawn out to record the other Crewe goals.

November 1943