Everton Independent Research Data



October 3 1902. The Liverpool Courier

An attendance hardly up to the average for Goose Fair witnessed this match at the Nottingham City ground yesterday, about 6,000 being present. A start was made at 3-15. The Foresters had Frank Forman and Henderson at Half-back, and Broughton as a change for Fielding at outside left. Wolstenholme played right back for Everton for the first time. The teams were: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal Wolstenholme, and Balmer, backs Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Young, Sheridan, and Bell forwards. Notts Forest: - Linacre, goal, Iremonger, and Craig, backs, Robinson, Frank Forman, and Henderson, half-backs, Spouncer, Calvey, Fred Forman, Morris, and Boughton forwards. Referee John Lewis. The wind was gusty, blowing across the ground, but the Forest, who won the choice of ends, quickly took a corner kick, which was ineffectual. The play was not particularly smart for one minute, the ball being difficult to judge. Forman got past Booth, and though Broughton the Foresters attacked, but only feebly. Bell and Sheridan got possession, and bustled both Robinson and Iremonger, but could not get near goal, though there was some nice play amongst the five of the front line men. They did not, however give, Lanacre much to do in goal, but their attack was good enough, for, before the game was ten minutes old. Sharp, on the outside right scored beautifully from about ten yards. The gusty wind appeared to rather favour Everton than the Forest. Booth, the centre half of Everton, was very good, and fed his forwards with much neatness, whilst Wolstenholme kicked with much judgement and low down. In sixteen minutes a second goal fell to Everton by Sharp, who was given the ball, when nicely placed, and running in scored, well, Linacre looking at him, whilst he shot. There was a good detachment of Everton supporters present, particularly on the big stand, for the cheers were voluminous. Craig, who was playing left back for the Forest, was no where near Sharp when he scored the two goals, and Henderson was by no means doing well. Indeed from this point for quite a period the Everton men were continually in the Forest half, and danger threatened from a corner to them, and also by a shot from Brearley. Once the Forest got away, but could not get past the defence when approaching goal, and Broughton finished the business by getting offside. Returning the Foresters got in a shot which, did not trouble the Everton goalkeeper, and once more accomplished by the cheers of their friends, the blue shirts made their way to Linacre's goal. The Foresters improved a bit in their play towards the close of the first half, but Broughton twice spoiled the efforts of his colleagues by getting offside. Young, the Everton centred forward, proved a little too clever, and Bell when within two yards of the goalline, got the ball from a fumble by Linacre but gently put in again to the Forest keeper's hands. It was a lucky escape for the Reds. Half time Everton 2, Forest nil.

The home team played up more strongly on restarting and remained in the Everton half until they obtained a goal. Spouncer centred, and Balmer appeared to put the ball into the net, scoring against his side, after a few minutes play. This unexpected and welcome success stimulated the Foresters to greater efforts, and they hung around the Everton goal for some time. Balmer Wolstenholme and Booth being most valuable in defence. The attendance had considerably increased, and there would be about half way through the second half 10,000 people present. The Forest felt the benefit of the wind, and in the hope of at least drawing level were working very hard, and eventually 25 minutes from the start, Fred Forman equalised when well placed. The score now stood 2 goals each. The closing stages were keenly contested. Frank Forman once sent close, and Linacre saved splendidly from Sharp. Neither side could score again, however, and the game was drawn.


Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Friday 03 October 1902

At Nottingham yesterday, in gusty weather, before a Goose Fair audience of 7,000. Broughton appeared for Fielding, and Henderson for Timmins the Forest team, and Wolstenholme at right back for Everton. The visitors were the smartest, playing close and low against the guste of wind, and in ten minutes Sharp scored, obtaining a second six minutes later. The Forest's passing play was poor, and their shooting feeble. They improved a bit in the last quarter of an hour, but were always the ' second best. Bell missed a good chance. Interval : Everton . goals. 2 Notts Forest 0 goal. There was comparison between first and second halves the game as regards the Foresters play; they were quite overpowering at the start. Quickly Balmer put a centre from Spouncer into his own net. The Foresters now most energetically attacked, and persisting Fred Fonman equalised with twenty still play. Frank Forman headed out almost under the bar—a j lucky escape. Result: Everton. 2 goals. , Notts Forest 2 goals.

Jack Sharp

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 04 October 1902

Sharp'a reinclusion in the Everton attack and conspicuous success against Liverpool confirmed in somewhat striking manner the opinion expressed last week that if he wrill let himselfgo he is a very fine player. It wrill be long time ere the recllection of one of his displays -for Villa fades atray away. It was at the Aston Lower Grounds; the turf was treacherous and opposed to Sharp was a fairly good back whose one fault was an unsteady head, which was apt to make him erratic under pressure. Sharp soon found out his man, and having fairly beaten him once had him at his mercy. Devey kept on slipping the ball out to the extreme right, and Sharp ran, centred, and shot a style which brought repeated plaudits.


October 6 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Glorious autumnal weather prevailed in Sheffield on Saturday, where Everton played their first League match of the season with the cup-holders. Although the kick off was fixed for the early hours of three o'clock there was a good attendance at Bramell-lane enclosure. After drawing with Notts Forest on Thursday, the Everton representatives did not return home but stayed in the cutley town to be readiness for the important encounter. On the Everton side, Settle reappeared in place of Sheridan, while United was at full strength. The teams were : - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Wolsteholme, and Balmer backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Young, Settle, and Bell forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal, Thickett, and Boyle backs Johnson, Wilkinson, and Needham, half-backs, Bennett, Common, Chapman, Priest, and Lipsham, forwards.

Everton commenced operations against a brilliant sun, and the first few minutes of play ruled in their favour. A movement led by Bell was followed by a capital centre, which Young only just failed to reach. Boyle came to the rescue, and then followed some capital passages on the home right. Bennett and Common eventually testing Kitchen with rasping shots. The goalkeeper got both well away, and then followed a period of midfield play. Breaking away again Lipsham put in a capital centre to Chapman, who passed out to Bennett. The last named drove hard across the goalmouth, and Chapman put the ball past Kitchen, but was obviously offside, and the point was promptly disallowed. From the free kick the Everton left raced away, and Bell tested Foulkes with a swift low ball, which he gathered and cleared with good judgement. The play was so far of a high order, as both sets of forwards were often seen in pretty combination, and the respective backs were kept fully extended. After Taylor and Wolstenholmes had been kept busily employed by the United right wing play was in short stages taken to the home end where Settle and Young tricked Wilkinson and put the ball to Booth, who from fairly long range, shot hard into the corner of the net. Foulkes was quite unable to stop the flight of the ball. This success came after ten minutes play. So far the Everton right wing had not been at all prominent, but at last Sharp got away only to be pulled up by Boyd. Putting a big effort forward, the United became exceedingly dangerous, and time and again the ball was headed from the player to another in close proximity to the goal. Play was soon at the other end, when Booth put in a high dropping shot, which Foulkes easily threw away. A couple of corners fell to the United, and from a second the visitors had a very lucky escape, as Abbott charged down a terrific shot, from Johnson, when at fairly close range. In a further movement Bennett ran the ball over the line, when a favourable opening presented itself. Quite a furore of applause was evoked by what were up to this period the finest individual efforts of the match. Boyle the United left back, quite outwitted Brearley in a style worthy of a class forward, ran the ball down the line, and put in a magnificent oblique shot, which required the best efforts of Kitchen to deal with, and then at the expense of a corner. Certainly the effort was worthy of the recognition which it received. Having safely disposed of the corner the Everton forwards again look up the attack, and Foulkes and his backs had an anxious five minutes. The fine work of the Everton forwards contrasted in marked fashion to the general lethargic movements of the home quintet's. Bell forced a corner off Thickett, but from the corner flag sent the ball behind. At the other end good work by Lipsham and Bennett was spoiled by a foolish attempts by common to score from long range. For some minutes the game was contested in midfield. Then a free kick against booth for handling all but brought about disaster, especially as Kitchen was out of goal when a high shot was put up, and diverted over the line by one of the Everton defenders. The corner was splendidly taken, but Chapman impeding Kitchen when saving under the bar brought an end to the attack. At half time approached the United, put on a tremendous spurt to get level, and on two occasions almost accomplished their object. Taylor was the greatest obstacle to success and especially serviceable was he in timing a shot that had to be charged down if a rescue was to be effected. The interval arrived with Everton holding a lead, which was quite in accordance with the general run of the play. Half-time Everton 1 goal Sheffield United nil. In the second half United had now the wind in their favour, but this was somewhat discounted by the glaring sun. Nevertheless they attacked in a determined fashion, and some good work was noticeable by Bennett and Common, which ended in the latter driving wide of the post. Another spirited movement was initiated by Johnson, and Chapman fastened on the ball, put in a brilliant shot across the goalmouth at the other end. Boyle charged down a terrific shot from Settle, following which Bell failed to centre under perhaps somewhat difficult conditions. A moment later Foulkes was compelled to come out of goal, and in a further attack on the Everton goal, Bennett lacked judgement by preferring to shout when a timely pass, must have benefited his side. Quite ten minutes had elapsed before Everton showed to any advantage. Abbott placed the ball nicely over to Sharp, who brought the gigantic Foulkes to his knees with a fast oblique shot. The Evertonians were not easily driven back, but gradually the Blades took up the running without, however, being allowed to trouble Kitchen. At length Lipsham got in a beauty, which Kitchen fisted away, but Balmer was the savour of his side. Following a vigorous attack by Everton, Boyle deliberately handled, and from the Penalty kick , Abbott scored a second goal for Everton. from a free kick close in the United, who had the best of the play this half, had hard lines in not scoring. Final result Everton 2, Sheffield United nil.



October 6, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

At Goodison Park, scoring was opened by Makepeace from a penalty kick, and before in the interval Bowman added two whilst Nantwich put one in. in the second half, the visitors were over played, and they resumed with ten men. Bowman Dickinson (twice), and Riley added further goals, while the Nathwich custodian stopped a Makepeace penalty kick, and Everton won in very easy fashion by 8 goals to 1.



October 6 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

That the form with which Everton opened their season was altogether too bad to be true, received abundant testimony on Saturday, when the teams gained a really brilliant victory by two goals to nil at Sheffield. It is not often the that the cup-holders are defeated in the presence of their enthusiastic supporters; but even the crowd at Bramell Lane acknowledge in true sportsmanlike sprint that on the day's play the United were beaten on merits. The result was a fitting termination to a fortnight exhibition by the Everton representatives. After sustaining three successive reverses, it was not until a fortnight last Saturday that the Goodison road organisation credited themselves with a point. That was at Wolverhampton, and since then they have not only defeated Liverpool-a success always greatly appreciated-but have journeyed to Nottingham and drawn with the formidable Forest team. Their performances last Saturday even capped their already satisfactory record, and effords tangible evidence of the cleverness of the team which at present sports the Everton colours. It is an achievement of which any club in the League might well be proud, that in four consecutive matches, three of them away from home, six points out of a possible eight should have been forthcoming. Surely this is quite sufficient to rehabilitate the team in the eyes of those supporters who imagined all sorts of dismal foreboding because failure attended visits to West Bromwich and Middlesbrough and because Newcastle United captured a couple of points at Goodison Park.

Certainly on present form the Everton team can hold its own with any team in the first division of the League. Their superiority at Bramell lane was noticeable after the game had been in progress only a few minutes. Once the Evertonians settled down to their work in real earnest, the United, it was evident, had met their match. At the same time, it must be admitted it was not a great exhibition of football; but the worrying tactics, which the half-backs on both sides adopted, accounted this to some extent for. The consequence was that the forwards were rarely able to display the finished combination, which is always delightful to the spectators. Still in what combination there was, the Everton front line were decidedly superior, the home forwards contrary to their usual practice, being so nonplussed by the attentions of Taylor, Booth, and Abbott, that when ever they did have any chance of scoring, opportunities were thrown away by reason of rash and ill-timed shooting. The fear that6 one of other of these energetic half-backs would be on them, before a shot could be got in doubtless accounted for a good deal of the wild shooting in which the two outside Sheffield men, Bennett and Lipsham frequently indulged. The latter, however, at times put in one or two shots which, but for the cleverness of Kitchen, must have taken effect. However, the rashness to which reference has already been made, on one occasion, practically meant the loss of a goal to the Sheffield men.

To Booth, that quite and most unselfish centre half-back, felt the honours of opening the scoring for the visiting side. It was the outcome of some excellent manceuring on the part of Settle and Young, and the skipper, with a long shot, which entered the top corner of the net, took the burley Foulkes completely by surprise. The other goal came well on in the second half, after the Blades had made determined and praiseworthy, but still unsuccessful efforts to secure an equalising point. Abbott had little difficulty in converting a penalty, rightly given against Boyle for handling within the dreaded penalty area. There was no doubt about the offence, which was the more inexplicable seeing that at the time Boyle knocked the ball away the Sheffield goal was in little danger of being captured. It was a case of distinctly hard lines for Boyle, especially as earlier in the game he had contributed the most brilliant individual effort, which the match produced. Easily outwitting Brearley, he ran the ball along after a style that could only be expected from the an expert forward and finished with a magnificent oblique shot, which Kitchen as cleverly fisted away at the expense of a corner.

With regard to the players, reference has already been made to the excellence of the Everton half-back division. Each man put in work, which was deserving of high praise, but where all did well the veterans Taylor should be singled out for special word of commendation. He was ever on the watch, and to his alertness and earnestness must be attributed the non-success of the United left wing. As to the forwards amongst whom Settle re-appeared in place of Sheridan, who is on the injured list, no one shone above his confreres, but each did admirable work. Wolstenholme filled the position of right full back with capital judgement, and he ought to prove a reliable partner to Balmer, who on Saturday was as full or resource as ever when danger threatened Kitchen's charged. The Everton custodian kept a safe goal, although he may be warmed against so frequently using his feet when he has other means at his disposal of repelling an attack. The work of the Sheffield forwards was fitful in the extreme. At times theu dashed along in their best cup the fashion, still at others they were absolutely weak and inept. Had it not been for the cleverness of the half-backs Everton must have been even more successful than they were. Seeing that both Boyle and Thickett were occasionally by no means reliable. Foulkes gave nothing away, and could not be blamed for either of the goals.

A Departing Rovers

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 11 October 1902

another old Rovers is departing in the Person of W.H. Ball, the half-back, who has played for the following clubs; Notts County, Liverpool South End, Rock Ferry, and Everton. Owing to an injury he received at the commencement of last season he has since been able to take part in only a few matches. Ball now states he has completely recovered, but the Rovers did not care to re-arrange him for any lengthy played for a month trail. after that a misunderstanding arsce, and negoiations were broken off, and he was transferred to Manchester United.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 11 October 1902

The Everton secretary used to be called “Unlucky Cuff;” he is now called “Lucky Cuff.” He was called unlucky because he was caught “poaching," and suspended for six months; his attempt was not condemned by the Everton moralists, was blamed for being found out, and when, at the beginning of the season, Everton went all wrong, on his shoulders the blame' was laid again. His return to office on October Ist, coinciding with Everton'a wonderful victory at Sheffield, there is now entire revulsion of public feeling. Secretary Cuff is looked upon as sort of male Mascotte, the lodestar of Everton s success; he is praised where he used to be Blamed, and instead of the scapegoat of the team and the spectators, be promises to become their idol. As the Ark of the Covenant was to the Israelites, so is “Lucky Cuff” to the “Toffies;” he is to be taken with them wherever they go into battle. Mr. Cuff attributes the change in Everton's fortunes to something else. He tells me, says Tom Tiddler,'' the team badly wanted “ looking after.” What that may mean I do not precisely know; whether they have been neglected while the secretary was suspended or have taken liberties, or both, as a consequence of each other; but in future thev are to be strictly, though kindly, looked after ” by Secretary Cuff, who will shepherd them to each match away, in the familiar style his predecessor. Trainer Elliott is also the job, and they are entitled to take credit to themselves, not mere chance, but as the result of their skill and attention that their return to office, after a long suspension, has been signalised Everton's return to their best form.


Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 13 October 1902

Accrington used to play very nice football in those days. What fine half-back George Howarth was. Eastham was good footballer too. and so was J. Yates. And Church had some good men, too; a young forward named Hartley Gregson and R. Horrocks were the best men in the team so far as my memory serves me. Then Burnley in the days Sandy Lang, McFetteridge, and Dan Briel were a strong eleven; Jack Keenan was one of the smartest halves I have ever seen. Of the early days of Everton I need not speak; McGill is the oldest player I recall. Everton were admitted to the League with the idea that gate pooling would be instituted. They were not then one of the 10 leading clubs, but they were drawing very big crowds.


October 13, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Everton were at home on Saturday, their opponents bring Grimsby Town, who, it will be remembered, last year at Goodison-park administered an unexpected defeat to the Evertonians. If present form was anything to go by, however, it was not expected that they would repeat the performance. There were three changes in the Everton eleven compared with the previous Saturday. Tom Booth was assistaining the Inter-League match at Belfast, and Clark filled the vacancy. Sheridan appeared vice Settle at inside left, whilst Young, who it was stated has been in rather bad health for some time, was given a rest, Bowman filling the centre position. Grimsby brought a strong team. The teams were: -

Everton: - Kitchen,goals, Wolstenholme, and Balmer (w) (captain), backs Taylor, Clark, and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Bowman, Sheridan, and Bell, forwards. Grimsby Town: - Spendiff, goal, Gardner, and Mountain backs, Holmes, Gray and Henningham, half-backs, Singleton, Long, Appleyard, Harper, and Fletcher, forwards. Considering the important civic function, which was, taking place in the city there was a very good attendance, there being about 12,000 present at the kick off. Everton won the toss, and Appleyard started for the visitors. There was hardly a semblance of wind. The first item was a run by the home right, but Dave Gardner relieved to the centre, where Sheridan and Bell were prominent, but they did not manage to get past Hemingfield, who made a nice opening for Long, who tested Kitchen early on, Sharp started a nice movement on the right, and the Grimsby goal was in jeopardy for a minute or two. Bell put in a beautiful centre, which however, Mountain got at the opportune moment. The ball was soon back again, however, and good work on the part of Sharp, Brearley, and Bowman ended in Brearley opening the score six minutes from the start with a beauty. Another burst away by Everton looked ominous for the visitors, and Sheridan receiving a pass had a clear opening, but came into collision with Mountain in front of goal, and lost possession. Up to the present there was not very much “fire” in the play, though Everton had the best of matters. Balmer next had to clear his lines, and Everton came away in fine style, Sheridan being prominent in this move. Bell put in a lighting shot, which the goalkeeper had the greatest difficulty in keeping out, Sheridan having the hardest of luck in not scoring. Everton maintained a warm attack, as the result of which, Abbott popped goal number two through. The home forwards were combining nicely together at this point, and Bell next had a chance, but sent the ball over the crossbar, after which the fishermen had a look in, but Wolstenholme cleared in fine style, and once more placed Everton on the offensive. Gardner cleared effectively for the visitors, but Everton were hard to shake off. At this point, Long, the Grimsby inside right, was hurt and left the field, the visitors playing with ten minute. They were thus at a disadvantage, and it was no wonder that Everton maintained the upper hand. Harper and Fletcher operating on the right worked the ball nicely down, only to be met with the safe Balmer, who kicked to centre. Everton had a free kick, which served to place them in a favorable position. Brearley and Sharp made the most of their opportunity, and Bowman receiving shot at express speed and registered another goal for Everton. There was no question as to the one-sided character of the game, and Everton were constantly in front of the Grimsby goal, Bowman was not long in increasing Everton's lead, sending in a fine shot, which scored. Spendiff in his effort to clear throwing himself full length on the ground. By way of a change, the fishermen were the attacking party, but they could not do much against the very powerful defence, although, on one occasion Kitchen had to fist out a shot from Singleton. Half-time Everton 4, Grimsby Town nil.

Hardly had the second half been started, than almost looked as if Grimsby had done the trick, but Kitchen just managed to save by the skin of his teeth. At length, after persistent efforts the visitors were rewarded with a goal, for which, Appleyard was responsible. After this the home team took up the running, and Sheridan had terribly hard lines with a shot. Everton were again pressing, the play of the halves being very commendable, and they were constantly making play for those in front. Brearley again tested Spendiff with a lofty shot, which he easily cleared, and the next point of interest was smart play on the part of Taylor, who beat Singleton near the touchline. Some nice passing was witnessed by Sharp and Brearley, the outside left, however, eventually being robbed by Dave Gardner, only, however, to regain possession by smart play and attempt unsuccessfully to screw in. the Grimsby goal had a marvellous escape at this point, Brearley attempting to head through, whilst after the ball was charged down by Wolstenholme, pretty close up it looked dangerous for the visitors. The Fishermen were now to the fore, and Helmes scored a clever goal. Final result Everton 4, Grimsby Town 2.



October 13 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination (Game 5)

At Manchester before 6,000 spectators. Early on Dilly scored, for Everton, but Morgan equalised from a penalty kick, while Turner give Manchester United the lead. In the second half the home side had the best of matters, and finally won by 4 goals to 1. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson and Crelly, backs, Clayton, Chadwick (Tc), and Makepeace, half-backs Rankin McDonald Monk, Dixon, and Dilly forwards.



At Solitude Belfast, on Saturday, before 10,000 spectators, against the Ireland League, English winning by three goals too two.



October 13, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Grimsby experienced a vastly different stroke of fortune at Goodison Park from that which they enjoyed in March last, when they astonished most people by gaining a victory over Everton. On that occasion the latter were fully represented, but on Saturday they had to find substitutes for Young, Booth, and Settle, these changes however, giving the home side an easy triumph after a somewhat featureless display. Throughout the game Everton had their opportunents under complete subjection and visions of tall scoring were confidently anticipant when they led at the interval by four goals. The five minutes breathing time proved signally fatal to the scoring propensities, though splendid shots from Bowman and Clark struck the woodwork when the visitors custodian was beaten hopelessly. With ten players only, owing to Long being injured and carried off the field, Grimsby had the satisfaction of putting on a couple of goals, and thus placed a respectable complexion of the final figures, which they play scarcely warranted. Undeed, had the two shots above mentioned found the net, and the visitors been unsuccessful in their efforts, the score would have been a more accurate representation of the general run of the game.

The bulk of the play was carried on in the Grimsby half, but their defence acted in a very determined fashion, and had the front rank shown the same efficiency a rare tussle would have been witnessed. Considering the recent form displayed by Everton, the Fishermen could have entertained little hope of equallising last season result, but when they had to dispense with the services of one of their forwards, they must have felt more than ordinarily despondent. That this state of affairs had its influence on the working of the home team, a matter which can hardly be contradicted, and the visitors, plodding monotonously along, awaited the opportunity of spying a looseness in the Everton defence, and then to their credit be it said, took advantage to get the ball twice into the net. But such play could not rouse the real feeling of interest, and whilst giving Grimsby every encouragement for this achievement, the crowd knew thoroughly that there was only one possible ending to the game. Throughout the proceedings it was clearly apparent that Grimsby were a beaten team, and it was only a question as to what degree the extent of the reverse would be inflicted.

Under such conditions, chief interest was felt in the movements of the latest recruits to Everton League eleven, for all the regular members of the side acquitted themselves in a satisfactory fashion. Turning than to the newcomers Bowman can be complimented upon a creditable appearance, and the two goals he gained were very cleverly accomplished, the result of determined effort to reach a centre from the right in each instance, and a rousing shot to complete the operations. Given half a chance anywhere near goal this deally built centre make the most of it, the chief weakness being a lack of ability, to control the ball when receiving a pass, which allows the opposition defence time to nip in, and clear. Still, Everton need not bemoan a temporary absence of their regular centre with such as understudy to fill the breach, and Bowman would be a rare catch for many League clubs in the first division. Sheridan shaped well, though there was a tenancy to roam which somewhat upset the notions of his partner Bell, but much of this is probably due to an over anxiety and desire to be doing. Clark played a very fair game at centre half, but Wolstenholme was not a striking success, further behind, though he might possible have been inclined to take matters so easily by noticing that the calibre of the Grimsby attack was not exactly of the cleverest character. Everton, however, won so easily that their performance must to a considerable extent disarm any unfavorable criticism.

Grimsby did not display very attractive football, and only at rare intervals did their forwards get along in fairly concerted fashion. Fletcher was the most conspicuous figure in the front rank, and further behind Nelmes rendered useful services. The defenders however, was the strongest past of this side, for Mountain and Gardner kicked vigorously and gave nothing away whilst Spendiff could scarcely be blamed for any of the shots that took effect. The goalkeeper that can check attempts like these which Abbott and Bowman put in, to say nothing of the capital effort of Brearley, has yet to be discovered.


Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 20 October 1902

Played at Aston Villa before 25,000 spectators. Playing with more dash and cohesion than usual the Villa were frequently dangerous in the early stages, but Sharp troubled the home defence. Noon scored for the Villa who well deserved to lead at the interval by 1 goal. Recommencing in business like style, the Villa occasioned their opponents much anxiety, McLuckie and Bache nearly getting through. Twelve minutes from the restart the home backs blundered,, and Bell equallised. After Abbott had unlucky failed to give Everton the lead, the Villa played brilliantly and Garratty managed to put the Villa ahead and give them a victory by 2 goals to 1.

Villa v Everton

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 20 October 1902

Prior to Saturday Aston Villa had gone a goodish spell at home without winning a League match. That the Villa deserved their aucoess cannot be denied. They played a much smarter game than had hitherto characterised their efforts this season. There was a very gratifying improvement in the work of the forwards, and McLuckie led the attack, while Garratty was a tremendous worker, and his second goal was splendid effort. The Villa halves were not up to the usual standard. The Villa defence, usual, was magnificent. Everton played pretty football, Jack Sharp in particular giving fine show. He was yards too fast for Leake, and his centres were always dangerous. Bowman in the centre missed one or two chances. Booth and Abbott were fine in the halfback line, but Alee Taylor was hanging out signals of distress long before the finish. Balmer kicked well, and Wolstcnholme, apart from one blunder, was a success at back.


October 20, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Everton have been so conspicuously successful of late that their supporters did not view with anything like alarm the outcome of their visit to Birmingham on Saturday. The game possibly was more serious for the Villa than it was for Everton, because the far famed Birmingham organisation are at the present time sadly in need of points. Everton had again the advantage of the service of Booth, while on the Villa side there was but one change, Noon coming into the team vice Wilkes. The teams lined up as follows : - Everton: - Kitchen, goal Wolstenholme, and Balmer, backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Bowman Sheridan and Bell, forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal, Spencer, and Evans, backs, Noon Wood, and Lecke, half-backs, Clark, Garrity, McLuckie, Bache, and Niblo, forwards. Referee R.F.Carr Capital work by Taylor put the Everton forwards in possession, and the Villa backs were kept busily employed. Sharp eventually got in a smart centre, to which, Spencer applied his head, and returning again George, had to save from a charge down by Taylor from Wood. The pace was exceptionally well strung, and slowly but surely the Everton forwards appeared to be getting the measure of the opposition half-backs. After a lengthly pressure the Villa left wing again made some progress, and following a wide pass out from Garraty to Niblo the latter was about to centre, when Wolstenholme just reached the ball, and put it outside. In a twinkling the ball was at the other end of the field, but George was not troubled. During the next two minutes it was quite evident that Everton defenders had trouble in store for them, from the Villa right wing. On one occasion Clark put in a brilliant shot which, Wolstenholme kneed out of the goal mouth. Immediately following a magnificent effort from Niblo just skimmed the bar at terrific speed. The attack however, was not sustained, and racing along the left Bell looked like slipping through, when Spencer tripped him up a couple of yards from the penalty line. Abbott placed the free kick well, but Evans headed away, and a moment later Brearley put the ball to Bowman, and it was only to be sheer luck that Evans met his man and enabled George to clear. Then McLuckie had practically an open goal, but got his toe too much wide of the ball and scooped it on the right side of the net. Some very fine passing on the part of the Everton forwards followed. Sharp finished up exceptionally tricky run by shooting hard at George, who only partially cleared. The ball went to Abbott, and the custodian was again called upon. Hereabout the Villa put forward one of the old time efforts. Persistent pressure was experienced at the Everton citadel. With a crowd of players in front of the goalmouth Noon displayed splendid judgement, putting the ball clean into the net. This success came after play had been in progress thirty-five minutes, and the supporters of the Villa gave full vent to their enthusiasm. Every inch of the ground was now contested, and conspicuous among the Everton forwards was Brearley, who on one occasion nearly scored. Following the clearance Niblo, got several times round Wolstenholme, and as once before during the game, Balmer managed to get his knee to the ball and looked like beating Kitchen all the way. A breakaway by Bell and Sheridan resulted is nothing but a fitful shot for George. Play was in midfield when the whistle blew for the interval. Half time Aston Villa 1; Everton nil.

The game was resumed in the presence of 20,000 spectators, and play opened somewhat quietly. The Villa were the first to attack by an aggressive movement. Play was taken up by Clark and Garraty. Abbott was penalised, and a free kick brought about a melee in front of Kitchen. McLuckie while on the ground almost diverted the ball into the net, and after Everton had paid a useless visit to the other end, Niblo was pulled up for offside, when in a favourable positions, and afterwards Bell put in a couple of fine centre, but they were not turned to account. Then a stoppage was occasioned owing to an injury to Wood. After a splendid run by McLuckie, Garraty, with a beautiful shot, struck the upright, and the decision of the referee in ruling him offside was not relished by the crowd. The Everton goal was now hotly assailed and it was wonderful how it missed capture on several occasions. The Villa at this period were playing for all they were worth. Kitchen twice saving marvellously when yards from the goal mouth. Suddenly the Everton right took the ball down in fine fashion, and from a misunderstanding between Leake and Evans as to who should clear Sharp dashed in and put the ball across to Bell, who judged it well, and gave George no chance with the equalising goal. Garrarty scored a second goal for the Villa tem minutes from the finish. Final result Aston Villa 2, Everton 1.



October 20, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination (Game 6)

At Goodison Park. Everton were the better side throughout. Rankin opened the scoring late on in the first half, Clive adding another before crossing over. After the interval Dilly (2) and Rankin added to the score, and Everton won by 5 goals to nil. Everton: - Whitley goal, Smith, and Bucknall, backs, Clark, Russell, and Makepeace half-backs Rankin, Dixon, Monks Clive and Dilly, forwards.



October 20, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton on Saturday somewhat be smirched their proud record, which they had been building the last few weeks. Since they started to acquire points on the 20 th September they have played such brilliant football that as the outcome of five matches, three of which were from home they scored eight out of a possible ten points. Their visit to Birmingham however, put an end to this sequence of success for Aston Villa managed to emerge from a well-contested game by the narrow margin of two goals to one. The victory was particularly gratifying to the Villa supporters seeing that it was the first that the team had gained at home this season. One has heard more than once since the season started about the decline in the ability of the team, which now does duty in the famous Birmingham club. Last Saturday's performance, however, must to a great extent rehabilitate the side in the good opinions of their still enthusiastic followers. At times their display recalled the best days of the Villa. There might not have been quite the same science in their movements, but the old-time fire and dash of the forwards were asserted in almost irresistible fashion.

The Villa deserved their victory, as the run of the play for the most parts was in their favour. At the same time it would not have been surprising had the game resulted in an equal division of points. One of those overpowering rushes which was indulged in about a quarter of an hour before the game closed produced a clever goal for which Garrity was in the main responsible. This point was as acceptable to the twenty thousand Birmingham spectators as it was disappointing to the few hundred Liverpool football enthusiasts who had made the journey to the Midland city. Although beaten, Everton made a brave show, and they had this consolation that they participated in one of the most interesting displays which have been seen at Aston Park this season. By reason of his former association with the Villa, the crowd watched the movements of Jack Sharp with especial interest and the clever and speedy Everton outside right certainly gave them every reason to admire his deft and dexterous flashes along the wing. No members of the Everton team appeared to greater advantage than did Sharp. Time after time his wonderful turn of speed, apart from his smart command of the ball, extorted the applause of the great throng of spectators and it was no fault of his that several admirable chances were not turned to account. Rather was the non-success of Everton due to the wonderfully fine back play of Spencer and Evans, the former of whom kicked and tackled in his best international style. The Villa half-backs too, lost very few opportunities of breaking up what were on occasions undoubtedly clever combined movements on the part of the Everton forwards, and in addition, were not slow in testing the opposing custodian with shots of exceptional merit. One in particular from Noon was very smart, and it was only by adopting the method he did that a point could possibly have been scored. The ball had been bobbing about the goalmouth, which was numerically well defended, and in putting in a dropping shot over the heads of his opponents, he contributed one of the many passages in which play fell outside the stereotyped groove. The Villa front line also excelled themselves, especially in comparison to previous exhibition they have recently given. This however, is scarcely surprising, seeing that for years past the Villa have invariably been on the top of their form when meeting their old and exteemed Everton opponents. Clark in particular gave a brilliant performance at outside right, and if he could be relied upon to always reproduce his form of Saturday last he would be one of the smartest outside men in the country. Well, as Balmer played, and more than once his judicious kicking saved his side, Clark troubled him very severely.

In view of the dangerous movements which the Villa wing men executed, it must be said that the Everton defenders did well in not allowing the Villa to score more than two goals. It was through no fault on the part of Kitchen that his side were beaten. He had a lot of work to do, and he discharged his task in a highly creditable manner. Wolstenholme however, hardly suggests that right back is his real position. To J.Bell fell the distinction of registering Everton's only goal, which was well worked for, but still this old servant of the Everton Club is beginning to realise that his turn of speed is not what it used to be. The result of this was seen in his tendency to lie as neat off-side as possible. Taking the game all through it was most enjoyable, and although Everton were the losing side, there is no reason why they of their followers should be disheartened with a reverse which even the best team in the country might easily have experienced.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 25 October 1902

Last season; Everton 1, Forest 0

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 25 October 1902

At Goodison. The Forest got going first, but Balmer cleared splendidly, and the home left wing following up, Bell dropped the ball right in front of Linacre, but Brearley headed over. Frank Forman now got busy, being constantly fed, but he met his match in a Balmer, and when he centred Calvey missed a fine opening. An exciting scrimage under the Forest bar waqs the next feature. Linacre tipped the bar in trying to save; next moment he was sprawling on the ground and gave the first corner of the game to Everton. Nothing rewsulted, and the second corner off Iremonger also fell flat. Linacre, however, just after jumped again to a smart shot by Young and barel;y got the ball away with his finger-tips. The visitors were weak in front of goal. A penalty to Everton, Young being fouled by Warren, was saved by Linacre. At Lasty Young got through and scored. Half-time; Everton 1, Forest 0.

In the second half Everton showed great dash, and Linacre was kept particularly busy, one save while on the ground from Young being very fine. From a breakaway by the Forest Warren equalised. After this Everton pressed continuously, but could not pierce Forest's fine defence. Result; Everton 1, Forest 1.

Jack Robertson

Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 25 October 1902

Robertson, the Glasgow Rangers' left halfback, and late of Southampton, has been approached for enlistment in tha Portsmouth ranks. Jack Robertson was born at Dumbarton in 1877. His height is 5ft. 8in., and weight list. 11st 71b. He is a polished player, most scientific in his methods, and has marvellous knack of doing the right thing at that right moment. He became the sixth forward in attacking game, a quality which doubtless comes from having played forward for Southampton. He lett Greenock Morton when 17 years old to to Everton, which club had his services when he got his first cap in 1898. Robertson has played four times for Scotland against England, in 1898. 1899, 1900, 1901; and against Wales and Ireland in 1901.


October25, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Walter Abbott, penalty saved by Linacre.

Glorious weather prevailed on Saturday, when the return game between these teams took place at Goodison Park. Supporters of the Everton club were sanguine as to the result of the game, for the Foresters had the previous week been defeated at home by Stoke. Young reappeared in the Everton team, while the Forest made several changes. The teams were : - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Wolstenholme, and Balmer, backs, Taylor, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Brearley, Young, Sheridan, and Bell, forwards. Notts Forest: - Linacre, goal, Iremonger, and White, backs, Henderson, Warren and Robinson, half-backs, Fred-Forman, Stevenson, Calvey, Morris and Spouncer, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkman. Everton won the toss, and had the advantage of playing with the sun, at their backs. Calvey kicked off and after midfield play, Booth effected a fine clearance from a centre by Forman. Then the Everton right went down only to be pulled up for an infringement of the rules, and fruitless visits were paid to both ends, the defence on both sides being equal to all demands. In a twinkling, however, Sheridan gave Bell an opportunity to centre, and this he did in good style, Brearley being unfortunate in heading just over the bar. The Reds again bore down on Everton's charge, and when close in Wolstenholme kicked away a dangerous shot from Stevenson. Again returning to the attack Henderson presented an opening to Calvey, who however, sent the ball high over the bar. This was too much for the Evertonians who swooped down upon the visitors goal in rare style. Sheridan made a desperate effort to get through, and then Linacre diverted a fine shot from Abbott at the expense of a corner, which came to nothing. Balmer beat Forman in a little trial of skill, but the Reds were very persistent, and a foul against Taylor looked ugly. As it turned out the free kick was easily disposed of, and the next item was a run down, and an unsuccessful centre by Bell. Smart work by Abbott and pretty touches by Sheridan were applauded, but nothing tangible resulted, Iremonger gave a corner, and from this, when almost under the bar, Brearley headed over. Bell got well away on his own, but his final effort was feeble. Everton were now attacking with greater persistency than before, but Iremonger was a strong strength to his side. On both sides the shooting of the forwards whenever opportunity presented itself was decidently weak. The play all round was not of a very high standard, but was relieved by occasional brilliant individual efforts. For some time neither side could claim rash shooting lost much advantage and chances. A corner which, was conceded to Abbott brought no result, and then Young was badly brought down by Warren within the penalty line. Abbott was entrusted with the penalty kick , which Linacre saved in grand style at the expense of a corner. This was a great disappointment to the crowd, who, however, applauded Linacre for his cleverness. This let off encouraged the Reds, who worked their way to the other end, without however causing Kitchen anxiety. Soon Everton returned to the attack, and from a centre by Sharp, Abbott had hard lines. The home team, however, quickly gained the reward of good work. The right wing were prominent, and the ball was flashed across to Bell, who after getting the goalkeeper off his guard, passed back to Young, who made no mistake with a shot which beat Linacre all the way. This success made matters livelier than ever, and the Foresters put in all they knew to gain an equalising point. They failed to profit by one or two free kicks, and then just before the interval grand work by Bell and Sheridan resulted in the former putting in a splendid shot, which just went over the bar. Half-time Everton 1; Notts Forest nil.

There would be fully 15,000 people present when the game was resumed. In the first minute the Evertonians dashed away, and Young was not far wide with lighting shot. The Forest quickly returned the compliment, and from a high shot by Forman Taylor conceded a corner, following which Kitchen was called upon to use his fists. This he did effectively, and play was removed to the other end, the bulk of the work, falling upon the left wing, pretty passing by the Notts front line carried hostilities into Everton's territory and was the prelude to a persistent attack, in the course of which the Everton goalkeeper had the luckiest possible escape, Stevenson from a cross by Forman, banging the ball against the upright, when Kitchen was completely beaten. Bell was getting nicely when White, who made no attempt to play the ball, brought him down. A moment later Iremonger handled, fortunately for his side just outside the penalty line, and for some time the Forest were kept strictly on the defensive. Sheridan was tumbled over when near the goal, but the referee disregarded the appeals for a penalty, and a free kick was of no advantage to the Evertonians. From a corner which came soon afterwards, the Forest goal was simply bombarded, and it was really marvellous how it escaped capture. Following severe pressure by Everton, the Forest pressed, and Warren succeeded in equalising. Everton attacked with great dash, but could not add to the score. Final result Everton 1; Notts Forest 1.



October 27, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination. (Game 7)

At Deepdale. Everton played ten men the greater part of the opening half, and Preston had the best of the game. Rankin showed good form for the visitors, but was badly supported, scoring Everton goal and at the interval the score was one goal each. In the second half the home side had the best of the play, and put on a couple of goal, and won by 3 goals to 1 . Everton: -Whitley, goal, Henderson and Crelly, backs, Clark, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs Rankin, Monk, Bowman, Clive, and Dilly, forwards.



October 27, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton's return fixture with Nottingham Forest ended in similar fashion to the first meeting of the team-in a distribution of the honours, though in both cases the Goodison Park eleven should have annexed full points, had the final figures panned out in accordance with the general run of the play. Saturday's game was not great exhibition of the code for there was any amount of straggling work witnessed which seemed to have no definite object in view, and even the clever midfield efforts fizzled out most unceremoniously when it came to the question of applying neccassary final touches near goal. Everton were at full strength, with Young once more in the centre-the pivot of the attack-but the Foresters made some sweeping changes in the constitution of their sides, the result presumably of the unexpected defeat inflicted on them the previous week, at Nottingham by the Potters. Under these circumstances, therefore the visitors would be highly pleased with their performance in dividing the points with Everton-a felling which demonstrated itself by the hearty greeting showed on Warren; their new centre-half, when he succeeded in equalising. Everton, however, deserved to win, for they were the superior team, but this is about all the satisfaction that can be gleaned from their exhibition.

Their display could not by any means be designated feeble, but there was lacking a certain amount of cohesion and unanimity in the movements which often nullified many well-meant efforts and kept the issue in doubt right up to the finish. They were more dangerous than their opponents, and created the impression that they were a bit above them in ability, without, however, clinching the matter by piling on the coveted goals. Thus there was always present a prevailing idea that the Foresters might rush away and either equlise or win outright, and to the watchful observer little surprise was occasioned when the visitors did manage to put the ball past Kitchen. Just prior to the incident a capital centre from Spouncer had been headed against the foot of the upright when the Everton custodian would have had no chance of saving; though to balance this there was the unusual experience witnessed of Abbott failing to convert a penalty kick. Nevertheless, it was one of those games when the inferior side often brings off an unexpected coup, satisfield with only a moderate share of the play, and more than their fair meed of goals. But Everton were not to be overthrown though they had to rest content with only a portion of the spoils. The inclusion of Young into the front rank was not the success anticipated, for the home centre was still somewhat cumbersome in his movements, and failed to utilise many openings through inertness. He certainly performed a few smart feats, but he is not yet the Young of a season ago, and there will have to be a great development and this condition be attained. There is no reason why he should not regain pristine excellence, and as a matter of fact, this desirable consummation may be awaited with some degree of confidence, despite present weakness. Sheridan is also a promising player, but he requires the long headedness gained only by experience. He could not be blamed for lack of earnestness of purpose, and gave some beautiful passes to the men on either side of him, drawing the defence and then parting opportunely. But he is apt to overrun himself by his roaming tendencies, the result being that when a favourable position is worked out, and the goal precincts reached, he is unable to flash in that stinging shot, which will cause uneasiness to the opposing custodian. He is possessed of the right materials, but a dash of Settle would decidedly improve his efficiency. All this, however without any desire to disparage much cleverness in midfield, which the Camsbuslang youth exhibited. The meteoric flashes of Sharp were always a source of danger to the Notts defence, a remark which applies with sequel force to the intermittent efforts of Bell, whilst Brearley could not be accused as a non trier. The half backs line was in splendid trim, and Abbott just about beat Booth in a close race for supremacy, with Taylor following slightly in the rear. They were the backbone of the team, with Balmer again in capital form further behind, but the more one sees of Wolstenholme, as a full back the less does he appear as likely to fulfil the pressing requirements of the Everton club in the rear division.

Regarding the visitors, they can be complimented upon possessing a clever and reliable custodian in Linacre, who has by common report, quite a marked partiality for dealing with penalty kicks and his clearance from Abbott was decidedly smart, denoting a quick eye and readiness of action. Iremonger played a sound game at full back, and Robertson proved a capable half whilst of the forwards, Calvey was the most conspicuous figure, and when under weight required some checking. He was not so fortunate in his shooting as usual, but had this been so the Everton, records must have been badly tarnished. Everton have now three successive away matches, at Bolton, Blackburn, and Sunderland respectively, which is sufficient to test the capabilities of any team. To-day they journey to Manchester, where they will oppose the much improved City eleven in the second round of the Lancashire senior cup tie, and the opportunity will be taken of affording some of their capable reverse players the chance to distinguish themselves.

Note, Laurie Bell, the Ex-Evertonian missed a penalty for Bolton against Liverpool at Burden park after converting one in first half.


Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 28 October 1902

The Manchester City looked forward to their game with Ererton with a fair amount of confidence, and this was increased when they found that the visitors had quite a number of alterations, whereas they only changed one man—the centre-half|. But thair confidence was misplaced, for the Everton goalkeeper played excellently, and was well covered his backs. The halves failed at times, and the forwards were not Suite so well together they might have been, though ley played good football. The Manchester defence compared well with that part of the Everton team: the halves did well against their opponents, but the attack was scarcely strong that of Everton, and this was the weakest part of their team.


October 28, 1902. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire senior cup, Second round.

Jack Whitley, saves a penalty kick

This match was played at Hyde road, Manchester, yesterday, before about 4,000 people. The home side was unchanged with the exception that Deardin played for Hyndes. Everton took with them several reserves, the following being the teams:- City, Hillman, goal, Davidson and Orr, backs, Frost, Deardin and McQustra, half-backs, Meredith, Miller, Gillespie, Drumond, and Threfall, forwards. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson, and Crelly backs Wolstenholme, Russell, and Abbott, half-backs Rankin Taylor, Young, Sheridan, and Dilly, forwards.

Young started the game, which opened promingly for the home side, and who had a good shot, which Whitley saved, the left wing of the visitors, attacked, and it required the best efforts of the City half-backs to break up their combination, Meredith sent in a good shot, but the ball dropped over the bar. Everton took up the running, but Frost cleared, and the ball was in the visitors half again. The Everton forwards now made a dashing run, which ended in Rankin sending in a very tame centre which was cleared by Hillman. The home side responded, but the ball was sent too far, forward for Gillespie and he was given offside. Sheridan was afterwards left with a fine opening, and steadying himself, he beat Hillman with a grand shot, when the game was twenty minutes old. About this time the visitors more than held their own, and Dilly ought to have scored, but he made a very feeble effort. While Whitley was out of his goal, Drummond sent in a shot, and one of the defenders handled in the penalty limit. A penalty kick was at once given, and Miller was entrusted with the kick, but he failed to get the ball past Whitley. However, amends were made two minutes later, Drummond taking a long shot from the right wing, and scoring a good goal fifteen minutes from the interval. Dilly missed another good opening, and the visiting custodian had to save two good shots from Drummond. Half-time Manchester City 1; Everton 1.the second half opened in a sensational manner, Young threatened his way through the City defence are presented himself in front of Hillman, who was powerless to stop the shot sent in by the Everton centre. The visitors thus took the lead one-minute after the resumption. Everton continued to hold the upper hand for some time. To save a dangerous position created by Rankin and Taylor, McQustra gave a corner, which proved futile, but Everton still attacked. After a good deal of scrambling play on the part of the City Miller gave a pass to Meredith and the last named player sent in a fine centre, and Threlfall meeting the ball, sent in a shot which, beat Whitley, thus equalising the scores. Frost sent in a long shot, which was thrown away by the visiting goalkeeper. Threlfall next had a try, and he gave the Everton goalkeeper a stinging shot to stop. Frost was pulled up for offside, and Everton took a free kick perilously near the penalty line, but it result in Sheridan sending wide. In the course of some midfield play Frost was injured through a collision, but was soon able to resume. As time drew near the City forwards made renewed efforts, and Deardin and McQustra, the City half-backs did some of the best work about this period of the game. Both teams tried hard to gain the lead, but when the final whistle sounded the score stood; Manchester City 2, Everton 2.












October 1902